SPRING

Krautrock

Life Spring album cover

Buy LIFE Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

1. Tantalizing Sensation (3:49)
2. Laverne's (1:49)
3. Dream Machine (6:17)
4. Mean Woman (3:19)
5. Hawaiian Jack (6:18)
6. Honeydrippin' Boogie Woogie (3:09)
7. Then I Am (Part One) (2:56)
8. Then I Am (Part Two) (1:31)
9. My Discovery (4:11)
10. Talkin' 'bout A Woman (6:06)
11. The Last Song (3:08)

Total time: 42:34

Bonus tracks on 2002 CD re-issue:
12. Headhunterblues (7:24)
13. I Don't Want To Be Your Fool Anymore (4:07)
14. Where Are You Headed? (5:07)

Search LIFE Spring lyrics

Search LIFE Spring tabs

- Gernot Pilz / bass
- Linus / drums, vocals
- Jason / lead guitar, sang backing, lead vocals
- Marcel Mohr / drums

LP Long Hair LHC 00016 (1971)

and to Joolz for the last updates

LIFE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LIFE Spring Music

BAND OF ROYAL MARINES A Life on the Ocean Wave LP US $14.43 Buy It Now 29m 31s
IN LOVING MEMORY 2011 Negation Of Life CD Melodic Death Doom Novembers Doom US $10.99 Buy It Now 29m 46s
ONE 1982'S 45 R.P.M. RECORD, QUEEN, BODY LANGUAGE + LIFE IS REAL (SONG 4 LENNON) US $2.69 Buy It Now 29m 46s
BASS CULTURE ft GINA G Love The Life 2x 12" promo US $9.62 Buy It Now 30m 2s
SEALED 1981 TIME LIFE COUNTRY MUSIC series MARTY ROBBINS LP STW 109 US $9.99 Buy It Now 30m 9s
SEALED 1981 TIME LIFE COUNTRY MUSIC series RONNIE MILSAP LP STW 110 US $9.99 Buy It Now 30m 9s
AVATAR Machine Life 12" US $9.62 Buy It Now 30m 33s
BOCCACCIO LIFE The Secret Wish 12" vinyl US $8.02 Buy It Now 30m 33s
BING CROSBY ThatÂ's What Life Is All About 7" 45 US $3.93 Buy It Now 30m 33s
BING CROSBY ThatÂ's What Life is All About LP US $8.02 Buy It Now 30m 38s
ACE OF BASE Life is a Flower CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 30m 40s
COCOMO ft LEAH My Life is in Your Hands 12" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $8.02 Buy It Now 30m 43s
Marti Webb : The Last Man In My Life ( From Song and Dance ) : Polydor : POSP 42 US $4.47 Buy It Now 30m 53s
BUCKS FIZZ Run For Your Life 10" vinyl picture disc Sound Clip in Listing US $8.74 Buy It Now 31m 51s
AFTER THE FIRE Life in the City 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $6.33 Buy It Now 31m 51s
AFTERGLOW Modern Life Virus CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 31m 55s
BUCKS FIZZ Run For Your Life UK 7" 45 US $6.41 Buy It Now 31m 55s
BAND OF THE LIFE GUARDS Self Titled LP 1964 US $16.03 Buy It Now 32m
CAMEO Single Life USA 12" 1985 US $6.41 Buy It Now 32m 2s
ASH A Life Less Ordinary CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 32m 5s
BEATMASTERS Life & Soul 1992 Rythm King U.K. CD Dance, DJ & Electronic ##B US $6.98 Buy It Now 32m 6s
CLEOATRA Life Ain't Easy CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 32m 12s
BREEZZE Out of My Life 12" US $9.62 Buy It Now 32m 12s
ALICE DEEJAY Back In My Life CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 32m 15s
BEN ONONO Simple Life 12" promo US $9.62 Buy It Now 32m 15s
ACE OF BASE Life is a Flower CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 32m 16s
Stevie Wonder(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)You Are The Sunshine In My Life / Look A-Ex/Ex US $9.99 Buy It Now 32m 24s
MY LIFE STORY-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $4.79 Buy It Now 32m 26s
The Righteous Brothers(7" Vinyl 1st Issue 2nd Press)Just Once In My Life -Ex/Ex US $15.99 Buy It Now 32m 28s
BLACK BOX RECORDER The Facts of Life CD1 US $3.93 Buy It Now 32m 29s
CHRIS & JAMES Club For Life 98 UK 12" US $6.41 Buy It Now 32m 30s
AJ GIBSON Live Life 12" white label US $9.62 Buy It Now 32m 35s
Stevie Wonder(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)You Are The Sunshine Of My Life / Look A-Ex/Ex US $9.99 Buy It Now 32m 36s
BANDERAS This is Your Life UK 7" 45 US $4.41 Buy It Now 32m 37s
ANASTACIA One Day In Your Life CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 32m 45s
CLIMAX Precious and Few / Life and Breath 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $9.62 Buy It Now 32m 49s
IT'S IMMATERIAL "LIFE'S HARD AND THEN YOU DIE" ORIG 1986 CD US $9.60 [1 bids]
32m 57s
Life Is Good [Deluxe Edition] [PA] [Digipak] by Nas (CD, Jul-2012, Def Jam... US $11.99 Buy It Now 32m 58s
CRW Presents VERONIKA Precious Life 12" promo US $8.02 Buy It Now 33m 1s
C J LEWIS Can't Take It (Street Life) 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $11.22 Buy It Now 33m 1s
BILLY PAUL Thanks For Saving My Life UK 7" 45 US $4.01 Buy It Now 33m 3s
2 DEEP Life Party UK 12" US $8.02 Buy It Now 33m 3s
CAMEO Single Life 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $6.41 Buy It Now 33m 7s
CAMEO Single Life UK 7" 45 repress US $3.93 Buy It Now 33m 11s
OC SMITH for once in my life LP Record - sealed US $9.95 Buy It Now 33m 11s
Arthur Lyman Cotton Fields HIFI Life Series L-1010 Exotica US $7.00 Buy It Now 33m 21s
BOCCACCIO LIFE The Secret Wish 12" US $9.62 Buy It Now 33m 27s
Jane Morgan(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)If Only I Could Live My Life Again / To Lo-Ex/VG+ US $8.99 Buy It Now 33m 28s
BLUE One Life CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 33m 35s
DIDO Life For Rent CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 33m 37s
DIDO Life For Rent CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 33m 41s
Stevie Wonder(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)For Once In My Life-UK-Ex/Ex US $11.99 Buy It Now 33m 41s
DE-PROGRESSION Celebrate Life 12" white label US $12.83 Buy It Now 33m 51s
5 FIVE STAR Stay Out of my Life UK 7" 45 US $3.93 Buy It Now 33m 54s
DJ BAILAR PROJECT Life is a Game 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $8.02 Buy It Now 33m 55s
DEBBY BOONE You Light Up My Life / Hasta Manana 7" Sound Clip in Listing US $6.41 Buy It Now 33m 55s
EVANESCENCE Bring Me To Life CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 33m 56s
DES'REE Life US $3.93 Buy It Now 33m 58s
DIANA ROSS The Best Years of My Life / Upside Down 12" vinyl US $9.62 Buy It Now 33m 59s
BRIAN & TONY GOLD My Life 7" 45 Jamaica pressing US $16.03 Buy It Now 34m
GRACE JONES Living My Life PROMO!! Near Mint Vinyl STERLING!! US $8.99 Buy It Now 34m 4s
AUDIO CONSPIRACY Next Life CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 34m 15s
CLIFF RICHARD My Kinda Life 7" 45 US $5.53 Buy It Now 34m 19s
FORTRESS An Angel Saved My Life 12" US $11.22 Buy It Now 34m 20s
GEORGIE PORGIE Life Goes On 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $8.02 Buy It Now 34m 24s
SASH! It's My Life The Album CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 34m 24s
BLACK BOX RECORDER The FactsOf Life 3 Track CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 34m 27s
A LIFE THING 123 cd US $12.83 Buy It Now 34m 30s
GIBSON BROTHERS Ooh! What a Life UK 7" 45 US $3.93 Buy It Now 34m 30s
Dean Martin(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Ain't Gonna Lead This Life / Maybe-UK-Ex/VG+ US $8.99 Buy It Now 34m 30s
BORDER CROSSING More To Life 5 Mix CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 34m 31s
GIBSON BROTHERS Ooh! What a Life 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $8.02 Buy It Now 34m 34s
CRW Presents VERONIKA Precious Life 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $8.02 Buy It Now 34m 35s
SECRET LIFE Love So Strong 12" promo US $7.62 Buy It Now 34m 36s
HARRISON CRUMP Sounds of Life EP 12" US $9.62 Buy It Now 34m 39s
SECRET LIFE Love So Strong 12" vinyl US $8.02 Buy It Now 34m 40s
BLOW MONKEYS This is Your Life 7" 45 US $3.93 Buy It Now 34m 51s
HAWKEYE Life 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $9.62 Buy It Now 34m 51s
BEN ONONO Simple Life 2x 12" promo Sound Clip in Listing US $9.62 Buy It Now 34m 55s
HERMAN'S HERMITS Bet Yer Life I Do UK 7" 45 US $7.62 Buy It Now 35m 14s
ASH A Life Less Ordinary CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 35m 15s
SASH! Its My Life Italian 12" (Natural Born Grooves) US $16.03 Buy It Now 35m 16s
SISTER BLISS Cantgetaman Cantgetajob Life's a Bitch 12" US $7.94 Buy It Now 35m 25s
SINGING MELODY You Came Into My Life 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $11.22 Buy It Now 35m 27s
SIZZLA Life / MR FLASH Jah Is The One 7" vinyl Sound Sample in Listing US $11.22 Buy It Now 35m 30s
T J DAVIS Wonderful Life 12" promo US $9.62 Buy It Now 35m 34s
STINGER Seasons / My Life 12" US $11.22 Buy It Now 35m 35s
STATUS QUO Wild Side of Life UK 7" 45 US $3.93 Buy It Now 35m 35s
STRUMPET My Life Story 4 Track CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 35m 35s
IN DEEP Last Night A D.J Saved My Life 7" Vinyl US $9.54 Buy It Now 35m 40s
JOEY NEGRO What a Life / Universe of Love 2x 12" DJ Double Pack US $9.62 Buy It Now 35m 40s
LIFELIKE Like Life 12" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $8.02 Buy It Now 35m 45s
MAURICE CHEVALIER Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries LP US $16.03 Buy It Now 35m 49s
MELTDOWN My Life in Your Hands 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $8.02 Buy It Now 35m 50s
CHAKA KHAN Life is a Dance 7" 45 US $8.02 Buy It Now 35m 55s
MICHAEL JACKSON One Day in Your Life 7" 45 Sound Clip in Listing US $3.93 Buy It Now 36m
PROTOCOL Breath of Life 12" US $12.83 Buy It Now 36m 5s
MOODY BLUES Question / Candle of Life 7" Sound Clip in Listing US $6.33 Buy It Now 36m 5s
BILLY IDOL**CHARMED LIFE**1990 CD**MINT CONDITION**NO SCRATCHES!!! US $3.99 [0 bids]
36m 5s
OLETA ADAMS UK 1990 PROMO 12" Single Rhythm Of Life OLEDJ112 US $6.40 Buy It Now 36m 19s

More places to buy LIFE music online Buy LIFE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LIFE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LIFE Spring ratings distribution

LIFE Spring reviews

Review by hdfisch
2 stars The story of this singular album began in Munich in spring (!) 1971 when composer, artist, songwriter and producer Julius Schittenhelm (worked also for Embryo, Guru Guru, Amon Düül 1, Annexus Quam and Floh de Cologne) got a visit by Christian Burchard slobbering over a band of American Germans called "The Wedge" that intended to do a record in Germany. When Schittenhelm met them unfortunately the original trio just consisted of the drummer/lead singer "Linus" and lead guitarist "Jason" since the bass player had disappeared back to USA already. Linus exchanged drums with rhythm guitar and soon after two local guys had been found for drumming (Marcel Mohr) and for bass (Gernot Plitz) and the band LIFE was born. Under quite amateurish conditions they recorded the songs for their debut. The band gave a couple of concerts after and recorded a few more songs for a planned second album which finally found some place on this CD re-release presented here (tracks 12-14). In 1972 they disbanded during a tour through Italy and the musicians vanished in the haze.

Now let's speak about the material presented here. Just to make things clear, it ain't anything that can be considered what we usually know as Krautrock (might be redundant for connaisseurs of this particular sub-genre to mention that not everything "made in Germany" during early 70's can be classified as such). Instead what we have here can be easily described as quite standard proto-prog that is a not so bad mix of westcoast/psychedelic blues-tinged rock'n'roll with some nice trippy flute added-up. Just imagine a combination of Edgar Broughton, early Tull with Paint it black/Sympathy for the devil-era Stones. Though this release might be a bit disappointing for the advanced prog listener and in particular for the specialised Kraut-fan it's nonetheless a quite enjoyable one for a couple of spins. There isn't any free-form experimentation to be found on here but some songs have quite appealing extended jammin' parts with track lengths crossing the 6-minute mark. At least for me the most attractive features were the really great flute play and the occasional mouth-organ as well some sax in the jazzy "Last song". Best songs are "Dream Machine", "Then I Am" and "Hawaiian Jack", most redundant ones the three added bonus tracks. Production quality is very good considering the non-professional recording conditions. Schittenhelm, who's in his eighties meanwhile by the way and still doing some experimental avant-garde music did really a great job here.

I guess in the context of this website here this album cannot be considered other than a collector's item. On another forum not dedicated to Prog in particular I would give it a 3-star rating but I won't take the risk being accused for favouring my local obscure raritities and will reduce it to 2 stars here.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#87584) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 18, 2006

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'Spring' - Life (3/10)

If you have a moment, I'd like to talk about Life.

Somewhere in the fray of American blues, psychedelia and the fuzz of garage rock, Life was born. Following the trend of many late 60's European acts, Life attempted to emulate American culture through voracious use of the 12 bar progression, mouth-organ and guitar leads aplenty. These efforts and influences resulted in "Spring", an album that's held in some regard by garage rock experts, if I'm not mistaken. Even for 1971 though, Life'ssound feels outdated and recycled. Rehashing the sound and tricks of the decade past, Life's style is predictable and underwhelming; their execution rough and occasionally downright amateurish. There's a garage charm to this album, but "Spring" doesn't come close to comparing to the music it desperately tries to emulate. Unfortunately, Life would never get an opportunity to improve their sound, as they would break up a year later in mid-tour.

Although Life and "Spring" are most often associated with the Krautrock movement, this is much less about the sound of the album, and more about who took part in it. Julius Schittenhelm (best known for his contributions to Amon Duul) was the producer behind the album. Barring that, Life performs a very familiar brand of blues rock, with virtually none of the strange experimentation and sonic density Krautrock is known for. Its context aside, I would have guessed "Spring" was the work of a gang of American youngsters, trying to emulate their rock idols. This sort of American blues influence on European music was widespread throughout the late 60's, arguably best exemplified by Led Zeppelin's first two albums. In fact, the beginning of "Spring" sounds as if it could be a nod in the direction of Zeppelin's blues rock, minus Jimmy Page's legendary distortion. The instrumentation is straightforward and plain, offering little room for the imagination to run amok. The guitar tones are largely clean, and the drum beats simplistic to a fault.

The most interesting aspect of Life's sound are the vocals of Linus. While the rest of the band fails to achieve any sort of grit with their performance, Linus delivers a surprisingly diverse and interesting performance, going everywhere from soft whispers to a yell, suitable tenor and everything in between. Particularly from a band that otherwise sticks to colouring within the lines, it's refreshing to hear a vocalist that tries to go so many places with his voice. Unfortunately, while the range and variety of styles are interesting, his more conventional singing is just as underwhelming as the rest of the band. The songwriting on the album follows suit in this pattern of mediocrity- when Life aren't being derivative or outright copycats, their more experimental ideas never go anywhere, often feeling like sketches of songs that could have been.

Although much of Life's sound is painfully bland, the use of a flute gives their sound some much needed depth. The album's more ambitious set of a bonus tracks also hint that Life could have achieved something much better, had they stuck with it. Instead, "Spring" is the band's one output. Bland musicianship and forgettable songwriting make this one an album for the dustbin. At least it's got a nice cover!

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#883827) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012

Post a review of LIFE "Spring"