WHY? MÁQUINA!

Buy MÁQUINA! Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. I Believe (4 :11)
2. Why? (11:52)
3. Why? (continuacio) (12:58)
4. Let Me Be Born (3:03)
Bonus tracks
5. Earth's Daughter (4:37)
6. Look Away Our Hapiness (4:09)

Search MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! lyrics

- Jordi Batiste / vocals, flute, bass

LP Diabolo Records
CD reissue PDI X-80.2998

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MÁQUINA! MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! Music

Why Fit in When You Were Born to Stand Out Dr. Seuss Wall Kids Girl Room Decal USD $1.33 [5 bids]
Why We Ride DVD Motorcycle Documentary Video Movie Bike USD $19.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Freestyle Jason Tomi "Tell Me Why/ I Believed In U" 10" RARE USD $21.00 [4 bids]
Why We Ride DVD - Motorcycle Documentary Film Movie New USD $20.25 Buy It Now 8 days
Why? : Trusting God When You Don't Understand by Anne Graham Lotz (2004, Hard... USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Super Why PBS Kids Wyatt Why Flyer Vehicle USD $9.50 [1 bids]
Why A Shepherd/Why A Manger Books- Bodie & Brock Thoene USD $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Super Why Alpha Pig Why Flyer Car PBS USD $9.00 [1 bids]
Jimmy Gartin +Bad Cats 45 HONEY WON'T YOU LOVE / WHY DID~Strate 1503-Fortune VG+ USD $675.00 [0 bids]
SUPER WHY HUMPTY DUMPTY OTHER ADVENTURES New DVD USD $6.59 Buy It Now 8 days
The Power of Habit : Why We Do What We Do in Life & Business by Charles Duhigg USD $1.25 [2 bids]
The EAGLES "I Can't Tell You Why b/w James Dean" US 45RPM 7" Country Rock Single USD $0.99 [1 bids]
SUPER WHY JACK AND BEANSTALK STORY BOOK ADVENTURES DVD USD $5.56 Buy It Now 13 days
Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too (DVD, 2010, WS) USD $4.24 [2 bids]
US Orig. AMII STEWART/Why'd You Have To Be So Sexy/Where .. DISCO/BOOGIE 12" mp3 USD $10.00 [1 bids]
New 2015 ALTO Saxophone Sax w/ Case & Yamaha Care Kit ???? WHY RENT??? USD $302.90 Buy It Now 26 days
Why Your Life Sucks : And What You Can Do About It by Alan Cohen (2002,... USD $0.99 [1 bids]
The Power of Habit : Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles... USD $10.00 [2 bids]
Miracles: What They Are, Why They Happen, by Eric Metaxas (Hardcover) USD $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
McFarlane Toys THE SIMPSONS SERIES 1 HOMER AND BART: "WHY YOU..." USD $15.00 [0 bids]
The Joker Why So Serious? Batman Villain 2 Old Different DC Comics Lapel Pins USD $7.98 [0 bids]
USD $14.98 Buy It Now
Why buy BROKEN when you can buy a NEW JTech Chiropractic Adjusting Tool USD $158.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Bread - Make It With You & Why Do You Keep Me Waiting USD $0.50 [0 bids]
The Teenagers w/Frankie Lymon.Why Do Fools Fall In Love/Please Be..UK Col.3772 USD $5.99 [0 bids]
17h
NORTHERN SOUL 70's - LIFE - TELL ME WHY - REPRISE DEMO - ORIGINAL ! USD $96.50 [14 bids]
WhyFi USB Wireless WiFi Network Adapter WHY0001 Panasonic DY-WL5 Replacement USD $38.89 Buy It Now 18 days
The Why Store S/T CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Why Not 12" Penis Enlargement Cream Increase Blood Flow Consist Herbs Sex Libido USD $8.77 [0 bids]
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings USD $3.97 Buy It Now 16 days
Crossover Soul 45 - Ollie Nightingale - I Don't Know Why I Love You -Memphis VG+ USD $15.50 [2 bids]
PAUL McCARTNEY - ANOTHER DAY / OH WOMAN, OH WHY - RARE! JAPAN APPLE 45' PS USD $3.10 [3 bids]
FREE 2 DAY SHIPPING: Why There Is No God: Simple Responses to 20 Common Argu USD $9.15 Buy It Now 22 days
WHY THINGS DON'T FALL DOWN. WELL ILLUST FOLIO 2013. COLOUR PLATES, NEAR MINT. USD $15.55 [1 bids]
The How And Why Wonder Book Of Insects USD $0.99 [0 bids]
WHY MEN LOVE BITCHES - SHERRY ARGOV (PAPERBACK) NEW USD $12.67 Buy It Now 6 days
ELVIS PRESLEY -HARD HEADED WOMAN / DON'T ASK ME WHY - RCA 45RPM USD $12.50 [0 bids]
Modern Soul 45 - Magnum - Tell Me Why - Silver Bullet - VG++ mp3 - rare! USD $229.50 [10 bids]
BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT MOVIE POSTER ~ JOKER WHY SO SERIOUS? 24x36 Heath Ledger B USD $4.95 Buy It Now 13 days
MANFRED MANN**WHY SHOULD WE NOT**BEAT*LISTEN TO IT USD $42.02 [4 bids]
DARROW FLETCHER - MY YOUNG MISERY/I'VE GOTTA KNOW WHY USD $19.45 [5 bids]
A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing- NEW USD $10.97 Buy It Now 16 days
Why I Built the Boogle House Helen Palmer Beginner Books Rare Title! USD $3.00 [1 bids]
WHY CANT IT BE ME? MOELLER / BALLARD UNKNOWN RARE EMIDISC ACETATE 45 LISTEN! USD $7.77 [0 bids]
Good to Great : Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't by Jim... USD $7.28 Buy It Now 24 days
MARVIS THOMPSON why are you saving your kisses 45 RE-CAR mn rockabilly HEAR USD $2.99 [0 bids]
THE CUES WHY / PRINCE OR PAUPER RARE 1956 INDAIN PRESSING 78 RPM RECORD USD $16.34 [3 bids]
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (1983, Paperback) USD $4.00 Buy It Now 18 days
STRETCH WHY DID YOU DO IT UK ORIG MASSIVE FUNK CLASSIC!! USD $7.77 [0 bids]
THE SEASONS PASS - HOW & WHY SCIENCE BOOK - (HARDCOVER, 1949) USD $0.99 [1 bids]
YELLOW COOK - "Why You Don't Love Me" 1972 OBSCURE SOUL NORTHERN SOUL 7" HEAR ! USD $39.00 [0 bids]
National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Why (Hardcover) 1426307934 USD $12.37 Buy It Now 23 days
1 CENT CD Why Do Fools Fall in Love: Original Versions - OST SEALED USD $1.47 [2 bids]
Rossignol FKX Comp 12 DIN Ski Bindings LOOK Why Buy New? USD $20.06 [2 bids]
Why We Ride DVD Documentary - Motorcycle Riding Movie Video NEW USD $20.98 Buy It Now 7 days
JEFFREY - why love one another b/w good to you - FEDERAL BLANK W/ ORIG SLEEVE USD $762.55 [24 bids]
DELROY WILSON - dont know why - COXSONE USD $4.99 [1 bids]
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Paperback 2011, Free Shipping, New USD $8.52 Buy It Now 26 days
JOHN HOLT - why can't i touch you - STUDIO ONE USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Vintage OAKLEY WHY 8.1 Sunglasses. Matte Bronze FRAME. VR28 Black Iridium USD $79.99 [0 bids]
John Wayne - America Why I Love Her [CD New] USD $12.27 Buy It Now 8 days
Vintage OAKLEY WHY 8 Sunglasses. Light Chrome FRAME. Black Iridium Lenses USD $99.99 [0 bids]
USD $149.99 Buy It Now
How Do You Kill 11 Million People? : Why the Truth Matters More Than You Think b USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $4.50 Buy It Now
Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants by The Oatmeal and Matthew Inman... USD $12.29 Buy It Now 3 days
Vintage Oakley WHY 8.1 Black Chrome G30 Black Iridium USD $79.99 [0 bids]
USD $139.99 Buy It Now
JAMES BROWN*PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE/WHY DO YOU DO ME*FEDERAL 45-12258 USD $12.99 [0 bids]
SUPER WHY ATTACK OF THE ERASER New Sealed DVD USD $5.89 Buy It Now 12 days
Oakley Why 8.1 Dark Chrome/Ice Iridium Wire Sunglasses Rimless RARE! USD $79.99 [0 bids]
USD $139.99 Buy It Now
super why USD $11.53 [3 bids]
Bill Burr: Why Do I Do This? New DVD! Ships Fast! USD $8.44 Buy It Now 12 days
Vintage Oakley Why 8 Dark Chrome/Ice Iridium Wire Sunglasses Rimless RARE! USD $79.99 [1 bids]
Northern Soul 45 - Precisions - Why Girl - Drew - mp3 USD $6.00 [0 bids]
SUPER WHY AROUND THE WORLD ADVENTURE New Sealed DVD PBS USD $5.18 Buy It Now 8 days
Northern Soul 45 - Rhythm Rascals - Why Do You Have To Go - Roulette - mp3 USD $6.00 [1 bids]
Vintage OAKLEY WHY 8 Sunglasses. Matte Bronze FRAME. VR28 Black Iridium Lenses USD $79.99 [0 bids]
USD $149.99 Buy It Now
BUSTER'S ALL STARS / TAKE IT EASY / WHY MUST I CRY / 7''/ VG+ USD $14.98 [0 bids]
Why So Serious? Joker batman Hoodie White Hooded Swatshirt USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Boo Banger Why Soo Serious CD HD Jacka Lil Blood J-Dubb Boski OOP G Funk Bay Rap USD $0.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES (MGM Canada) 45 - Cry For A Shadow / Why USD $95.00 [0 bids]
WILLIAM POWHIDA limited edition SIGNED Why You Should Buy Art PRINT USD $69.99 [0 bids]
WILLIAM POWHIDA limited edition SIGNED Why You Shouldn't Buy Art PRINT USD $69.99 [0 bids]
Bill Burr - Why Do I Do This? (DVD, 2008, Widescreen) Stand Up Comedy BRAND NEW USD $6.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Women's Coat, Parka, Jacket **WARM**EXCELLENT** Why Pay Retail? Beautiful! sz M USD $19.50 [0 bids]
USD $28.00 Buy It Now
WEIAND SAY WHY-AND CHEVY SBC TIMING CHAIN COVER FINNED ALUM GASSER 283 327 350 USD $97.00 [6 bids]
Captain Hooks Boga Style Fish lip grips 30# scale. Why pay $124.95 Get these!! USD $32.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Lynnderella Limited Edition Nail Polish-Why so Blue, Violet? USD $40.00 [1 bids]
The Language Hoax : Why the World Looks the Same in Any Language by John H. McWh USD $0.99 [2 bids]
Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher, Paperback 2011, New, Free Shipping USD $8.34 Buy It Now 10 days
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (2011, Paperback) USD $2.00 [0 bids]
USD $3.00 Buy It Now
Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity : Get Out the Shovel - Why Everything You K USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $4.50 Buy It Now
The Apologetics Study Bible : Understand Why You Believe (Hardcover) #0248 NEW USD $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 24m
1995 tonka dump truck why box USD $26.50 [0 bids]
CONFIDENTIAL April 1966 MONIQUE VON CLEEF S&M Why Whites Marry Negroes USD $5.59 [2 bids]
Why Did I Get Married (Ws) (2008) - Used - Dvd USD $1.99 Buy It Now 16 days
UK LP War Why Can't We Be Friends? Island Label MINT- Top Copy USD $18.66 [0 bids]
Whimsey on Why #31 The Fire Station USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Ask Me Why I'm Lazy T Shirt Funny Flipup Sloth Shirts USD $13.49 Buy It Now 7h 47m
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou - First Printing - 1969 USD $150.00 [0 bids]
Ear Candy | WHY NOT FOR NEW YEAR'S? USD $6.99 [0 bids]
USD $75.00 Buy It Now

More places to buy MÁQUINA! music online Buy MÁQUINA! & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MÁQUINA! DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(20%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(35%)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars With this stunning debut, Máquina! scored heavily for posterity as this is the first known ROCK album to come from Spain and what an astounding one it is!!! Really these guys made one hell of rebellious record given the context in which Spain was being submitted to Franco's dictature. A stunning artwork depicting a clock rising from a croissant was clearly a call for Spanish youth to wake-up (and have a good breakfast) and get ready for a new day. Quite a revolution knowing the ultra conservateur nature of El Caudillo, even if by that time Spain was letting loose things as European tourist money was flowing in (including this writer spending a few Easter holidays as a kid around those years;-) but although the end was near, it was incredibly risky.

Stylistically, we are dealing with a psych/prog rock with extended and excellent interplay, somewhere in between live Cream (with KBs) and early Floyd or even a live Grateful Dead. The twin guitars are one of the features but one of them played bass when the bassist was busy with the flute or singing. The opening track is simply a superb atmospheric instrumental with organ-piano KB attack doubled by a superb and orgasmic guitar, a pure delight! Then comes the 25 min title track (broken over the two sides of the vinyl) with superb organs, twin guitar attack and rather enjoyable but muffled-in vocals, the whole thing going on an not too extended jam and evolving to one of the more entertaining drum solo I have ever been given to listen - maybe because it is not a pure solo as the KB outlines a few phase here and there. The second part of Why? opens the second side of the vinyl and picks up where the first part had left: a superb mostly instrumental enthusiastic prog-tinged rock jam. Quite enjoyable, especially when discovering this in 05, some 35 years after it was recorded. There are some particularly exhilarating moments in this track! The last track is yet another great tune

The two bonus tracks are the afore-mentioned single tracks and although a bit different than the album (especially in the vocal dept but the Earth's Daughter track sounds like some David Bowie spin-off), they do not interfere in the continuous ambiance of the album and they add to the album's incredibly short duration. This album is a relative minor gem for progheads but is a 24-carat nugget for the psych-jam group fans!! Impressive, although I must be careful in not over- rating it!! But I think rounding it up to the upper star is not insulting the album or the proghead.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#67739) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Review by Gerinski
3 stars I must start by saying that I'm not very keen on proto-prog, and if you like this sub-genre you will most likely add one more star to my rating, perhaps even two.

I have often seen Maquina!'s Why? described as "one of the best rock albums ever made in Spain". Well, that's an opinion I certainly do not share for what concerns the quality of the music as such, but what is true is that this was an album of great historical significance, in spanish rock there would be a "before Why?" and an "after Why?".

Spain was still under the dictatorship of Franco (until late 1975) and everything which looked or sounded too modern or libertarian was censored, so all the true aspects of rock came late and watered down. Sure enough there was some late 60's beat and psychedelia, but it was a carefully sanitized version of the real thing, with all the guys / girls looking nice and tidy, the songs still kept short, not too wild and with innocuous lyrics. Maquina! from Barcelona in the region of Catalunya were the first band to portray a genuine free and hippy attitude, with really long hair, long instrumental jams and non-commercial stance (in parallel Smash would do the same in the southern region of Andalucia). They achieved this partly by singing in english and by avoiding any political connotations in their lyrics. The term Prog was not yet used and this music became known in Spain as "Underground".

The music is proto-prog, influenced by the likes of Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Brian Auger, Hendrix etc, with a trippy rhythm section filled up with fuzz guitar and Hammond.

The opener I Believe became quickly popular by its distinctive ¾ beat, still not very widespread in those times. The title track Why? accounts for nearly 25 minutes which in those times in Spain was unheard of, and it was splitted in the 2 sides of the LP, the first part of 12 min in side A being the main song theme and the 13 min in side B being mainly an instrumental jam with a reprise of the song theme in the end. Really something special for Spain in those times. The last song on the LP was Let Me Be Born, something more like a Beatles song.

In the CD edition there are 2 bonus tracks, Earth's Daughter and Look Away Our Happiness, originally released as a single in 1969, the first one very much influenced by The Beatles and the latter more similar to a Brian Auger fast-rhythm soul track.

Regarding the cover art with the clock stuck on a croissant, it has been frequently interpreted as a methapor "calling Spain to wake up from the Franco dictatorial regime" but its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained in an interview that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the clock. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Their next release "En Directo" would be quite different due to line-up changes, more jazz- rock-soul oriented and with much more brass.

In summary, recommended for fans of proto-prog or those curious for the development of prog in Spain, but far from essential in my personal book.

Send comments to Gerinski (BETA) | Report this review (#642241) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012

4 stars "Why? Máquina" is the first album of MÁQUINA!, a Catalan progressive rock's band, the first progressive band in Spain. In 1970 Franco was still in the government in Spain, so Spain was not a democratic country and it wasn't easy to make progressive rock. Máquina! didn't use the Spanish or Catal ... (read more)

Report this review (#132040) | Posted by komun | Monday, August 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MÁQUINA! "Why? Máquina! "