WHY? MÁQUINA!

Buy MÁQUINA! Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. I Believe (4 :11)
2. Why? (11:52)
3. Why? (continuacio) (12:58)
4. Let Me Be Born (3:03)
Bonus tracks
5. Earth's Daughter (4:37)
6. Look Away Our Hapiness (4:09)

Search MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! lyrics

- Jordi Batiste / vocals, flute, bass

LP Diabolo Records
CD reissue PDI X-80.2998

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MÁQUINA! MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! Music

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why Steal Our Garbage? Nintendo 3DS Video Game USD $3.00 [3 bids]
54m 2s
Why We Ride DVD Motorcycle Documentary Video Movie Bike USD $19.95 Buy It Now 18 days
Why We Fight (DVD, 2006) USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Hank Williams - Why Don't You Love Me / A house Without Love 78 VG++ PROMO USD $11.50 [4 bids]
NEW - Why We Broke Up by Handler, Daniel USD $4.49 Buy It Now 7 days
The PRECISIONS 'Why Girl' N Soul PROMO nm USD $11.95 [7 bids]
1906 China Empire KWANGTUNG 10 Cash NGC MS-62 BN *Excellence Struck* WHY NOT RB? USD $52.00 [7 bids]
Why Can't I Get Better?, Richard I. Horowitz, New Book USD $20.47 Buy It Now 12 days
MARY ENGLEBREIT WALL ART TAPESTRY BANNER WHY NOT GO OUT ON A LIMB-FRUIT 12x17 USD $12.99 [0 bids]
Super Why Puzzle USD $0.99 [1 bids]
4h
Nickel Creek : Why Should the Fire Die? CD (2005) USD $3.98 Buy It Now 21 days
2002-5 VHS TAPE-BOXED SET-WORLD WAR II-WHY WE FIGHT-CAPRA USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Collectable Antique Cast Bronze Victorian Doorknob - Why Not Start a Collection? USD $75.00 [0 bids]
ARRIVE MAGAZINE-2015-RAVEN WILKINSON-MISTY COPELAND-BALLET-WHY MENTORS MATTER USD $4.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Why Men Love Bitches : From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's.. (2004, Paperback) USD $1.00 [1 bids]
Mimi Yoon Why Is The Moon So Sad III 24"x13" Signed Giclee Print #/50 1xRun USD $99.95 [0 bids]
WHY PAY MORE!! NEW XSTRIKE ADD ON BOWLING BAG BLACK USD $13.95 Buy It Now 14 days
THE NATURAL FOUR ((HEAR))"YOU DID THIS FOR ME" & "WHY SHOULD WE STOP NOW" USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why Steal Our Garbage? Nintendo 3DS FREE SHIPPING USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Why We Ride DVD Documentary - Motorcycle Riding Movie Video NEW USD $19.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why Steal Our Garbage? Nintendo 3DS Video Game USD $2.50 [0 bids]
USD $8.50 Buy It Now
8h
The Insane - Why Die! 7" Punk Oi! Skinhead MINT USD $12.37 [4 bids]
The Apologetics Study Bible: Understand Why You Believe USD $19.50 Buy It Now 17 days
70s Soul 45 AL HUDSON & SOUL PARTNERS Why Must We Say Goodbye ABC HEAR USD $8.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES ALL MY LOVING EP REISSUE MONEY/PS I LOVE YOU/ASK ME WHY USD $4.82 [5 bids]
THE BEATLES PLEASE PLEASE ME/ASK ME WHY 1ST PRESSING 45 1963 USD $1.79 [2 bids]
A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future USD $3.89 Buy It Now 23 days
THE BEATLES PLEASE PLEASE ME/ASK ME WHY PS 45 USD $1.79 [2 bids]
The Power of Habit : Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg USD $9.99 [0 bids]
USD $13.99 Buy It Now
YOU ARE WHY YOU EAT by Dr. Ramani Durvasula: Change your food attitude USD $7.99 Buy It Now 29 days
WEST BRUCE & LAING "WHY DONTCHA" AS NEW DIGIPACK CD REPERTOIRE RECORDS REISSUE USD $7.48 [0 bids]
Why Was I Born?, 1929, fr the musical "Sweet Adeline", by Kern and Hammerstein USD $1.99 [0 bids]
God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It USD $6.95 Buy It Now 29 days
The Cables - Baby Why / Be A Man on Studio 1 7" MP3 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
BILL COSBY Why Is There Air? CD USD $0.99 [2 bids]
19h
Joyce Meyer Why Do I feel The Way I Feel? 4 CD Audiobook USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Rare Rock 45 - The Beatles With Tony Sheridan - Why - MGM # 13227 - M- USD $19.99 [1 bids]
Deep/Funk Jazz Mod Soul 45 JERRY K. KILLINGSWORTH I Don't Know Why DELTA HEAR USD $8.00 [1 bids]
WHY? Waterlines 7" NEW VINYL Anticon USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
1962 How & Why Wonder Book of Dogs Pawsitively Fabulous! Great Illlustrtions USD $2.00 [0 bids]
HEAR northern soul girl singer popcorn 45 ANN GARY Why Is It KING USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Why There Is No God: Simple Responses to 20 Common Arguments for the Existenc... USD $8.50 Buy It Now 19 days
The CUBS Why Did You Make Me Cry / I Hear Wedding Bells SAVOY - 45 7" - LISTEN! USD $4.99 [0 bids]
The DEDICATIONS Why Don't You Write Me / Boppin' Around CARD - 45 7" - LISTEN! USD $17.50 [9 bids]
500 PCS 2X2 Coin Assorted Size-YOU CHOOSE Cardboard/Mylar WHY PAY MORE?BEST DEAL USD $17.75 Buy It Now 21 days
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (2011, Paperback) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
THE HEPTONES 3 IN 1 "BABY -WHY MUST I, WHY DID YOU LEAVE 7" HEAR USD $1.48 [0 bids]
20h
Vintage Board Game 1961 Alfred Hitchcock Why Mystery Game by Milton Bradley USD $39.99 Buy It Now 17 days
WAR WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS LIBERTY LLS-80304 Japanese pressing Vinyl LP USD $5.00 [3 bids]
Super Why Flyers Princess Presto And Wonder Red USD $11.61 [6 bids]
Chicago Bears Uniforms From 1920-2000 Framed Why Sundays Were Invented W/patch USD $20.00 [0 bids]
ANTI NEWTON RING ANR OPTICAL GLASST for EPSON V700 V750- WHY USE A DRUM SCANNER? USD $29.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Monster High: Friday Night Frights/Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love? (DVD, 2013) USD $3.19 [6 bids]
Why Pay more for Foreo buy AFTERGLOW Facial Exfoliator Waterproof, Petal Shaped USD $17.99 [0 bids]
MEDIFAST Customizable 10 Boxes 2 Week Supply WHY Pay More?! USD $146.00 Buy It Now 27 days
RARE ROOTS REGGAE - BOBBY SHARKIE - WHY KEEP RASTA MAN DOWN - YOUNG TUBBY'S 7" USD $29.90 [0 bids]
War-Why Can't We Be Friends-Rare Original 1973 Soul/Funk LP-UA 441-SEALED USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Why A Shepherd/Why A Manger Books- Bodie & Brock Thoene USD $5.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Dr.Sevss Why Fit In When You Were wall stickers home art decor wall art USD $0.06 [2 bids]
Elvis Presley 47-8740 Tell Me Why 45 W/ Sleeve MINT USD $29.00 [5 bids]
Why Orwell Matters by Hitchens, Christopher USD $8.38 Buy It Now 14 days
Northern Soul 45 BARBARA JEAN & LYRICS Why Weren't You There BIG HIT HEAR USD $355.00 [11 bids]
Comic Cartoon Beach Why You Wearing a Bandage Postcard Old Vintage Card View PC USD $0.50 [0 bids]
12 Reasons Why People Overeat CD By Joyce Meyer God Has a Plan For You 900616 USD $10.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Freddie Terrell - You Had It Made / Why Not Me? Modern Soul 45 USD $200.00 [1 bids]
RARE UK DECCA DEMO The Cedars I Like The Way / I Don't Know Why 7" Listen PSYCH USD $20.94 [7 bids]
America, Why I Love Her by John Wayne (CD, Nov-2001, MPI Home Video) USD $4.50 Buy It Now 29 days
Idle Few - People that's why c/w Land of dreams. Northern Soul 45rpm 7" single USD $6.73 [0 bids]
NORTHERN SOUL PROMO 45/ MARV JOHNSON "WHY DO YOU WANT TO LET ME GO" CLEAN HEAR USD $9.99 [0 bids]
The Willpower Instinct : How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You... USD $9.77 Buy It Now 9 days
Jerry Butler - You Walked into my life / Why did i Lose you 7" Northern soul USD $14.96 [0 bids]
DENNIS NOLAN WHY WICKED MAN BLAKAMIX DUBPLATE JAH SHAKA LISTEN USD $7.46 [0 bids]
23h
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings USD $3.97 Buy It Now 26 days
4 Vintage The How and Why Wonder Books Of Ecology, Electricity, Human Body USD $1.50 [1 bids]
NORTHERN SOUL 45 Nova's Nine-Pain/Why Wait-Abc HEAR USD $8.25 [0 bids]
NORTHERN SOUL-ORIGINAL-THE VONTASTICS-(Why Must we Part) CHESS USD $29.92 [0 bids]
Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap...And Others Don't Collins, Jim USD $4.65 Buy It Now 26 days
Northern Soul 45 ISLEY BROTHERS Why When Love Is Gone TAMLA HEAR USD $9.00 [2 bids]
Whimsey-on-Why Porcelain Miniature English Village Set 1 USD $55.00 [0 bids]
USD $75.00 Buy It Now
Why Mars and Venus Collide: Improving Relationships by Understanding How Men and USD $4.99 Buy It Now 23 days
JUSTICE Girl's Peach Color "Why I'm Awesome " Size 12 Short Sleeve T-Shirt EUC USD $1.99 [2 bids]
Billy Eckstine I've been blessed/I wonder why Motown 1105 northern soul 45 USD $29.99 [0 bids]
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It by Taubes, Gary USD $8.83 Buy It Now 26 days
Greetings Why Not Write Postcard Old Vintage Card View Standard Souvenir Postal USD $0.50 [0 bids]
Michigan Garage Psych 45 - LYKES OF US - Tell Me Why Your Light Shines - MOLT USD $49.99 [1 bids]
The Catholic Advantage : Why Health, Happiness, and Heaven Await the Faithful... USD $14.44 Buy It Now 16 days
Design Simply Funny Gregory K. "Why Women Drink" Cup Mug USD $14.99 [0 bids]
Northern Soul 45 KING FLOYD Why Did She Leav Me ORIGINAL SOUND HEAR USD $8.00 [1 bids]
SUPER WHY!: AROUND THE WORLD ADVENTURE - NEW DVD USD $5.44 Buy It Now 11 days
1/2 Yard Novelty Print - Whimsical Animal Words - Why? Fabric Line Quilt Cotton USD $0.01 [0 bids]
Who Am I? (and Why Am I Here?) : Worldview Series Book 2 by David Webb and... USD $14.50 [6 bids]
Super Why!: Under the Sea DVD Region 1 USD $10.49 Buy It Now 27 days
21D M- Paulette Sisters why AAMCO 101 USD $1.75 [2 bids]
Northern Soul 45 MARV JOHNSON Why Do You Want To Let Me Go GORDY HEAR USD $8.00 [1 bids]
ANTI NEWTON RING ANR OPTICAL GLASST for EPSON V700 V750- WHY USE A DRUM SCANNER? USD $18.50 Buy It Now 9 days
NOVEMBER 24, 1967 ISSUE OF LIFE MAGAZINE FEATURING "WHY KENNEDY WENT TO TEXAS" USD $6.00 [1 bids]
Tell Me Why series of 5 books by Arkady Leokum Answers to children's questions USD $4.99 [2 bids]
The Cranberries : Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Cant We? CD (1993) USD $2.99 Buy It Now 21 days
The Burn : Why Your Scale Is Stuck and What to Eat About It by Haylie Pomroy... USD $6.99 [1 bids]
15H VG+ Frankie Lymon why do fools fall in love USD $4.24 [4 bids]
0 result found for "MÁQUINA!"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy MÁQUINA! music online Buy MÁQUINA! & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MÁQUINA! DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(19%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars With this stunning debut, Máquina! scored heavily for posterity as this is the first known ROCK album to come from Spain and what an astounding one it is!!! Really these guys made one hell of rebellious record given the context in which Spain was being submitted to Franco's dictature. A stunning artwork depicting a clock rising from a croissant was clearly a call for Spanish youth to wake-up (and have a good breakfast) and get ready for a new day. Quite a revolution knowing the ultra conservateur nature of El Caudillo, even if by that time Spain was letting loose things as European tourist money was flowing in (including this writer spending a few Easter holidays as a kid around those years;-) but although the end was near, it was incredibly risky.

Stylistically, we are dealing with a psych/prog rock with extended and excellent interplay, somewhere in between live Cream (with KBs) and early Floyd or even a live Grateful Dead. The twin guitars are one of the features but one of them played bass when the bassist was busy with the flute or singing. The opening track is simply a superb atmospheric instrumental with organ-piano KB attack doubled by a superb and orgasmic guitar, a pure delight! Then comes the 25 min title track (broken over the two sides of the vinyl) with superb organs, twin guitar attack and rather enjoyable but muffled-in vocals, the whole thing going on an not too extended jam and evolving to one of the more entertaining drum solo I have ever been given to listen - maybe because it is not a pure solo as the KB outlines a few phase here and there. The second part of Why? opens the second side of the vinyl and picks up where the first part had left: a superb mostly instrumental enthusiastic prog-tinged rock jam. Quite enjoyable, especially when discovering this in 05, some 35 years after it was recorded. There are some particularly exhilarating moments in this track! The last track is yet another great tune

The two bonus tracks are the afore-mentioned single tracks and although a bit different than the album (especially in the vocal dept but the Earth's Daughter track sounds like some David Bowie spin-off), they do not interfere in the continuous ambiance of the album and they add to the album's incredibly short duration. This album is a relative minor gem for progheads but is a 24-carat nugget for the psych-jam group fans!! Impressive, although I must be careful in not over- rating it!! But I think rounding it up to the upper star is not insulting the album or the proghead.

Review by Gerinski
3 stars I must start by saying that I'm not very keen on proto-prog, and if you like this sub-genre you will most likely add one more star to my rating, perhaps even two.

I have often seen Maquina!'s Why? described as "one of the best rock albums ever made in Spain". Well, that's an opinion I certainly do not share for what concerns the quality of the music as such, but what is true is that this was an album of great historical significance, in spanish rock there would be a "before Why?" and an "after Why?".

Spain was still under the dictatorship of Franco (until late 1975) and everything which looked or sounded too modern or libertarian was censored, so all the true aspects of rock came late and watered down. Sure enough there was some late 60's beat and psychedelia, but it was a carefully sanitized version of the real thing, with all the guys / girls looking nice and tidy, the songs still kept short, not too wild and with innocuous lyrics. Maquina! from Barcelona in the region of Catalunya were the first band to portray a genuine free and hippy attitude, with really long hair, long instrumental jams and non-commercial stance (in parallel Smash would do the same in the southern region of Andalucia). They achieved this partly by singing in english and by avoiding any political connotations in their lyrics. The term Prog was not yet used and this music became known in Spain as "Underground".

The music is proto-prog, influenced by the likes of Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Brian Auger, Hendrix etc, with a trippy rhythm section filled up with fuzz guitar and Hammond.

The opener I Believe became quickly popular by its distinctive ¾ beat, still not very widespread in those times. The title track Why? accounts for nearly 25 minutes which in those times in Spain was unheard of, and it was splitted in the 2 sides of the LP, the first part of 12 min in side A being the main song theme and the 13 min in side B being mainly an instrumental jam with a reprise of the song theme in the end. Really something special for Spain in those times. The last song on the LP was Let Me Be Born, something more like a Beatles song.

In the CD edition there are 2 bonus tracks, Earth's Daughter and Look Away Our Happiness, originally released as a single in 1969, the first one very much influenced by The Beatles and the latter more similar to a Brian Auger fast-rhythm soul track.

Regarding the cover art with the clock stuck on a croissant, it has been frequently interpreted as a methapor "calling Spain to wake up from the Franco dictatorial regime" but its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained in an interview that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the clock. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Their next release "En Directo" would be quite different due to line-up changes, more jazz- rock-soul oriented and with much more brass.

In summary, recommended for fans of proto-prog or those curious for the development of prog in Spain, but far from essential in my personal book.

4 stars "Why? Máquina" is the first album of MÁQUINA!, a Catalan progressive rock's band, the first progressive band in Spain. In 1970 Franco was still in the government in Spain, so Spain was not a democratic country and it wasn't easy to make progressive rock. Máquina! didn't use the Spanish or Catal ... (read more)

Report this review (#132040) | Posted by komun | Monday, August 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MÁQUINA! "Why? Máquina! "