WHY? MÁQUINA!

Buy MÁQUINA! Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. I Believe (4 :11)
2. Why? (11:52)
3. Why? (continuacio) (12:58)
4. Let Me Be Born (3:03)
Bonus tracks
5. Earth's Daughter (4:37)
6. Look Away Our Hapiness (4:09)

Search MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! lyrics

- Jordi Batiste / vocals, flute, bass

LP Diabolo Records
CD reissue PDI X-80.2998

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MÁQUINA! MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! Music

Why We Ride DVD Documentary - Motorcycle Riding Movie Video NEW USD $19.95 Buy It Now 22h 26m
Nwt Cachcach cach cach holiday wedding blk why tie newborn gown lot reborn doll? USD $35.99 [0 bids]
Super Why!: Around the World Adventure DVD Region 1, NTSC USD $3.02 Buy It Now 19 days
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why USD $3.97 Buy It Now 12 days
DISCHARGE - WHY 12" ORIG CLAY PRESSING 81 THRASH HARDCORE PUNK VG/VG USD $15.00 Buy It Now 29 days
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE "I Don't Know Why I love You"/"I'll Take Care" og Rare Soul 45 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Termidor HE High-Efficiency Termiticide.New all in one !! Why work twice as hard USD $145.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Super Why!: Attack of the Eraser DVD 841887012690 Region 1, NTSC USD $3.06 Buy It Now 16 days
Super Why 6" Wyatt Action Figure 2009 USD $22.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Paperback 2011, Free Shipping, New USD $7.78 Buy It Now 21 days
EDDIE HARRIS That Is Why You're Overweight ATLANTIC LP NM SHRINK USD $8.00 [1 bids]
Learning Curve Super Why Zap and Learn Why Writer, Wyatt Wand, 2009 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 27 days
Super Why: Hansel & Gretel - A Healthy Adventure *New DVD* USD $3.09 Buy It Now 7 days
Why Poetry Matters (Why X Matters) USD $4.98 Buy It Now 25 days
MILTON BRADLEY - "' ALFRED HITCHCOCK " WHY GAME USD $25.00 [1 bids]
WHY BE GOOD? (888574128418) - NEW DVD USD $16.11 Buy It Now 10 days
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings USD $3.97 Buy It Now 11 days
Why We Ride DVD Motorcycle Documentary Video Movie Bike USD $19.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Spirit and Nature: Why the Environment is a Religious Issue--An Interfaith Dialo USD $3.97 Buy It Now 25 days
3 Wade Whimsey on Why Porcelain Houses Bloodshot Hall England #6 #10 #21 USD $9.99 [1 bids]
Super Why: Hansel & Gretel - A Healthy Adventure DVD Region 1, NTSC USD $2.97 Buy It Now 16 days
The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined (Hardcover) FREE SHIP USD $10.95 Buy It Now 16 days
Singled Out: Why Celibacy Must Be Reinvented in Today's Church USD $3.97 Buy It Now 11 days
DEEP PURPLE?WHY DO WE THINK W?JAPAN RARE SAMPLE MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED!WPCR-13114 USD $18.50 [9 bids]
JEEP WRANGLER YJ 5.5" SOA (SPRING OVER AXLE) LIFT KIT, SIMPLY THE BEST, SEE WHY USD $159.99 Buy It Now 9 days
The River Why USD $3.97 Buy It Now 19 days
Why Him? Why Her?: Finding Real Love By Understanding Your Personality Type USD $3.97 Buy It Now 13 days
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business USD $8.87 Buy It Now 5 days
Thrive Experience-Why just pay other people when you can Thrive on your OWN!!!! USD $0.01 [1 bids]
Why Do We Hope?: Images in the Psalms USD $4.71 Buy It Now 29 days
Hansel and Gretel (Super WHY!) by Brooke, Samantha USD $7.02 Buy It Now 28 days
Why Healing Happens USD $3.97 Buy It Now 23 days
CURLY MAYS Oh Why 45 on Carnival EX northern soul b/w R&B stroller 2-SIDER HEAR USD $14.50 [3 bids]
SHIRLEY GUNTER and THE QUEENS You're Mine / Why [Flair 1060] USD $8.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Cats Paint: A Theory of Feline Aesthetics USD $3.97 Buy It Now 13 days
Super WHY! : Attack of the Eraser *New DVD* USD $3.10 Buy It Now 7 days
Why I Love You: A Journal of Us by Suzanne Zenkel (Hardcover) USD $12.75 Buy It Now 6 days
Why Go Pro? Be a Pro! Helmet Sports Waterproof Car Camera WiFi SJ4000 HD 12MP USD $52.00 [24 bids]
The Cell: Inside the 911 Plot, and Why the FBI and CIA Failed to Stop It USD $3.97 Buy It Now 16 days
Born for Love: Why Empathy Is Essential--and Endangered USD $14.90 Buy It Now 19 days
"Why Do You Want to Know Why" From the Marx Brothers "The Cocoanuts" Sheet Music USD $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Funk Soul Gospel 45 - Majestic Choir - Why Am I Treated So Bad - Checker VG+ mp3 USD $6.00 [0 bids]
The Great Courses 'Why Evil Exists' Guidebook & Transcript Book Prof Mathewes USD $26.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Understanding the Why Chromosome by Cathy Guisewite (1995, Paperback) USD $1.50 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Be Jewish? USD $3.97 Buy It Now 14 days
Why Orwell Matters by Christopher Hitchens (2002, Hardcover) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 17 days
Huge SUPER WHY Lot Action Figures Why Flyers Costumes, Princess Pea Play Set PBS USD $76.00 [25 bids]
SUPER WHY JACK AND BEANSTALK STORY BOOK ADVENTURES DVD USD $5.40 Buy It Now 13 days
1941 P UNCIRCULATED BU 25% OFF Lincoln Wheat Cent Why pay more? USD $4.94 Buy It Now 7 days
Columbine: Understanding Why NEW!! USD $3.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Why Sinatra Matters USD $3.97 Buy It Now 14 days
HOLLAND DOZIER - why can't we be lovers / don't leave me 7" FUNK soul INVICTUS USD $3.75 [0 bids]
Enough : Why the World's Poorest Starve in an Age of Plenty by Scott Kilman... USD $4.95 Buy It Now 6 days
JFK AND THE UNSPEAKABLE : Why He Died and Why It Matters DOUGLAS hcdj USD $18.00 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes USD $3.97 Buy It Now 7 days
Vintage Oakley Why 3 Titanium frame Blue iridium Used USD $56.00 [11 bids]
Why Labs Do That: A Collection of Curious Labrador Retriever Behavior USD $12.85 Buy It Now 17 days
Yakima control key from Professional Stock. Shipped same day. Why Pay more? USD $5.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Why Paint Cats: The Ethics of Feline Aesthetics USD $3.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Zelda Wisdom Pet Halloween Costume Why BEE Normal for Small Dogs New USD $9.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Run-Arounds - Oh Why / Such A Night - Unknown 60s Garage / Doo Wop 45 USD $8.85 [4 bids]
Why We Ride DVD Documentary - Motorcycle Riding Movie NEW Motocross Sports USD $19.50 Buy It Now 19 days
The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Cle USD $3.97 Buy It Now 12 days
Why Me? Why Anyone? USD $3.97 Buy It Now 25 days
1 CENT CD Why Georgia - John Mayer AUSTRALIA IMPORT/FROM ROOM FOR SQUARES USD $0.01 [1 bids]
45rpm record; STEVE LAWRENCE, WHY WHY WHY ' ' TEEN ' ' EXC. NICE ' USD $4.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Bill Burr: Why Do I Do This? New DVD! Ships Fast! USD $9.10 Buy It Now 7 days
So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work Yo USD $15.61 Buy It Now 29 days
The Second Jewish Book of Why USD $3.97 Buy It Now 14 days
BOBBY POWELL Whit 45 RPM THANK YOU / WHY (AM I TREATED SO BAD) - HEAR USD $0.99 [1 bids]
How to Behave and Why USD $3.97 Buy It Now 11 days
Why We Broke Up USD $5.58 Buy It Now 18 days
Why Government Succeeds and Why It Fails USD $8.10 Buy It Now 16 days
The Lennon Sisters . Sad Movies / I Don't Know Why . Dot Record 1961 . 45rpm .. USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Why Am I Afraid to Love? USD $3.97 Buy It Now 19 days
Why Was I Adopted? USD $3.97 Buy It Now 25 days
Why Have Children?: The Ethical Debate (Basic Bioethics) USD $12.96 Buy It Now 27 days
Super Why: Twas The Night Before Christmas & Other DVD USD $3.06 Buy It Now 24 days
Rare 45 R&B/Doowop Jax-314 (Red Wax) Kings "Why? Oh, Why?" Two Sider USD $102.50 [6 bids]
Why Men Are the Way They Are USD $3.97 Buy It Now 12 days
SUPER WHY ? - Birthday Party Supplies Set Pack w/ Plates,Napkins USD $22.09 Buy It Now 23 days
Vintage The How and Why Wonder Book of Horses,1974, soft cover USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Doo Wop-Newmarks-Why / Goody Goody Gum Drop-Chattahoochee 627 USD $19.99 [1 bids]
Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter USD $5.52 Buy It Now 14 days
Contagious: Why Things Catch On [Hardcover] by Jonah Berger USD $20.16 Buy It Now 17h 12m
Why Ann Arbor? USD $5.44 Buy It Now 28 days
MONSTER HIGH: FRIDAY NIGHT FRIGHTS/WHY DO GHOULS FALL IN LOVE? - NEW DVD USD $5.98 Buy It Now 20 days
Made to Stick : Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath USD $0.99 [1 bids]
The Futures Game: Who Wins? Who Loses? Why? USD $4.17 Buy It Now 25 days
Why Revival Tarries: A Classic on Revival USD $7.33 Buy It Now 13 days
Why Wars Happen USD $10.66 Buy It Now 25 days
Frankie Paul - Tell Me Why JA orig Dread Coporation Muzik 7" ?? USD $30.02 [0 bids]
Why We're Losing the War on Terror USD $14.54 Buy It Now 28 days
Complete Set of 15 Childcraft The How and Why Library 1967 Edition Home School USD $59.95 Buy It Now 29 days
Thirteen Reasons Why USD $4.91 Buy It Now 15 days
Swoon: Great Seducers and Why Women Love Them USD $7.09 Buy It Now 14 days
Emotional Intelligence : Why It Can Matter More Than IQ by Daniel Goleman... USD $1.84 [4 bids]
Why a Daughter Needs a Mom: 100 Reasons USD $3.97 Buy It Now 27 days
Why Decisions Fail USD $11.22 Buy It Now 20 days
Why Do We Say It?: The Stories Behind the Words, Expressions and Cliches We Use USD $3.97 Buy It Now 18 days
0 result found for "MÁQUINA!"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy MÁQUINA! music online Buy MÁQUINA! & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MÁQUINA! DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(20%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(35%)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars With this stunning debut, Máquina! scored heavily for posterity as this is the first known ROCK album to come from Spain and what an astounding one it is!!! Really these guys made one hell of rebellious record given the context in which Spain was being submitted to Franco's dictature. A stunning artwork depicting a clock rising from a croissant was clearly a call for Spanish youth to wake-up (and have a good breakfast) and get ready for a new day. Quite a revolution knowing the ultra conservateur nature of El Caudillo, even if by that time Spain was letting loose things as European tourist money was flowing in (including this writer spending a few Easter holidays as a kid around those years;-) but although the end was near, it was incredibly risky.

Stylistically, we are dealing with a psych/prog rock with extended and excellent interplay, somewhere in between live Cream (with KBs) and early Floyd or even a live Grateful Dead. The twin guitars are one of the features but one of them played bass when the bassist was busy with the flute or singing. The opening track is simply a superb atmospheric instrumental with organ-piano KB attack doubled by a superb and orgasmic guitar, a pure delight! Then comes the 25 min title track (broken over the two sides of the vinyl) with superb organs, twin guitar attack and rather enjoyable but muffled-in vocals, the whole thing going on an not too extended jam and evolving to one of the more entertaining drum solo I have ever been given to listen - maybe because it is not a pure solo as the KB outlines a few phase here and there. The second part of Why? opens the second side of the vinyl and picks up where the first part had left: a superb mostly instrumental enthusiastic prog-tinged rock jam. Quite enjoyable, especially when discovering this in 05, some 35 years after it was recorded. There are some particularly exhilarating moments in this track! The last track is yet another great tune

The two bonus tracks are the afore-mentioned single tracks and although a bit different than the album (especially in the vocal dept but the Earth's Daughter track sounds like some David Bowie spin-off), they do not interfere in the continuous ambiance of the album and they add to the album's incredibly short duration. This album is a relative minor gem for progheads but is a 24-carat nugget for the psych-jam group fans!! Impressive, although I must be careful in not over- rating it!! But I think rounding it up to the upper star is not insulting the album or the proghead.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#67739) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Review by Gerinski
3 stars I must start by saying that I'm not very keen on proto-prog, and if you like this sub-genre you will most likely add one more star to my rating, perhaps even two.

I have often seen Maquina!'s Why? described as "one of the best rock albums ever made in Spain". Well, that's an opinion I certainly do not share for what concerns the quality of the music as such, but what is true is that this was an album of great historical significance, in spanish rock there would be a "before Why?" and an "after Why?".

Spain was still under the dictatorship of Franco (until late 1975) and everything which looked or sounded too modern or libertarian was censored, so all the true aspects of rock came late and watered down. Sure enough there was some late 60's beat and psychedelia, but it was a carefully sanitized version of the real thing, with all the guys / girls looking nice and tidy, the songs still kept short, not too wild and with innocuous lyrics. Maquina! from Barcelona in the region of Catalunya were the first band to portray a genuine free and hippy attitude, with really long hair, long instrumental jams and non-commercial stance (in parallel Smash would do the same in the southern region of Andalucia). They achieved this partly by singing in english and by avoiding any political connotations in their lyrics. The term Prog was not yet used and this music became known in Spain as "Underground".

The music is proto-prog, influenced by the likes of Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Brian Auger, Hendrix etc, with a trippy rhythm section filled up with fuzz guitar and Hammond.

The opener I Believe became quickly popular by its distinctive ¾ beat, still not very widespread in those times. The title track Why? accounts for nearly 25 minutes which in those times in Spain was unheard of, and it was splitted in the 2 sides of the LP, the first part of 12 min in side A being the main song theme and the 13 min in side B being mainly an instrumental jam with a reprise of the song theme in the end. Really something special for Spain in those times. The last song on the LP was Let Me Be Born, something more like a Beatles song.

In the CD edition there are 2 bonus tracks, Earth's Daughter and Look Away Our Happiness, originally released as a single in 1969, the first one very much influenced by The Beatles and the latter more similar to a Brian Auger fast-rhythm soul track.

Regarding the cover art with the clock stuck on a croissant, it has been frequently interpreted as a methapor "calling Spain to wake up from the Franco dictatorial regime" but its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained in an interview that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the clock. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Their next release "En Directo" would be quite different due to line-up changes, more jazz- rock-soul oriented and with much more brass.

In summary, recommended for fans of proto-prog or those curious for the development of prog in Spain, but far from essential in my personal book.

Send comments to Gerinski (BETA) | Report this review (#642241) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012

4 stars "Why? Máquina" is the first album of MÁQUINA!, a Catalan progressive rock's band, the first progressive band in Spain. In 1970 Franco was still in the government in Spain, so Spain was not a democratic country and it wasn't easy to make progressive rock. Máquina! didn't use the Spanish or Catal ... (read more)

Report this review (#132040) | Posted by komun | Monday, August 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MÁQUINA! "Why? Máquina! "