WHY? MÁQUINA!

Buy MÁQUINA! Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. I Believe (4 :11)
2. Why? (11:52)
3. Why? (continuacio) (12:58)
4. Let Me Be Born (3:03)
Bonus tracks
5. Earth's Daughter (4:37)
6. Look Away Our Hapiness (4:09)

Search MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! lyrics

- Jordi Batiste / vocals, flute, bass

LP Diabolo Records
CD reissue PDI X-80.2998

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MÁQUINA! MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! Music

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why Steal Our Garbage? Nintendo 3DS Video Game US $1.04 [2 bids]
Why We Ride DVD - Motorcycle Documentary Film Movie New US $20.25 Buy It Now 2 days
Eklypse "Wonder Why" Indie Rap 12" Lunar Ent. Sealed US $7.99 [0 bids]
Why We Fight - Series Set (DVD, 2001, 4-Disc Set) US $0.99 [2 bids]
Why We Ride DVD Motorcycle Documentary Video Movie Bike US $20.25 Buy It Now 6 days
The Cranberries Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We Taiwan w/obi CD New US $39.99 [0 bids]
Intuit Quicken Premier 2011 - Why pay more for new version, its mostly the same! US $16.09 [10 bids]
Why? - Alopecia [Vinyl New] US $18.44 Buy It Now 10 days
House Of Reps "Why It Gotta Be Me?" Indie Rap 12" H.O.R. mp3 US $7.99 [1 bids]
Modern Soul 45 LEON WARE Why I Came To California/Can I Touch You on Elektra wlp US $62.99 [9 bids]
Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ US $3.97 Buy It Now 4 days
Northern Soul 45 BARBARA LYNN Why Can't You Love Me on Atlantic VG++ US $7.99 [1 bids]
Super Why Learning Curve Figures Whyatt Princes Pea Lot of 2 Boy Girl 8" Toys US $15.00 [0 bids]
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings US $3.97 Buy It Now 20 days
Northern Soul 45 HOAGY LANDS Why Didn't You Let Me Know on Spectrum VG++ US $26.00 [6 bids]
VINTAGE VERY RARE BOOKLET ABOUT ROCKY MARCIANO CALLED WHY I RETIRED US $49.99 [0 bids]
Contagious: Why Things Catch On, Berger, Jonah US $8.31 Buy It Now 21 days
Northern Soul 45 TOM-EMMANUEL & RON EXPERIENCE When You Lose Your Groove/Why US $22.22 [7 bids]
Northern Soul 45 VONTASTICS Why Must We Part/I Will Always Love on Chess promo US $9.00 [2 bids]
9" NEW Rare Learning Curve PBS Show Super Why Whyatt Wyatt Boy Plush Doll Toy US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Why Men Marry Bitches : A Woman's Guide to Winning Her Man's Heart by Sherry... US $1.44 [0 bids]
Question Mark+The Mysterians (45 acetate) WHY CAN'T I LOVE YOU / same song VG+ US $179.99 [0 bids]
Miracles: What They Are, Why They Happen, by Eric Metaxas (Hardcover) US $21.80 Buy It Now 5 days
Monster High Double Feature Friday night frights/Why do ghouls fall in love DVD US $3.25 [7 bids]
DAVE SAMPSON WHY THE CHICKEN ? 1999 COLUMBIA 45-DB 4597 DEMO 60'S POP RARE VINYL US $13.33 [6 bids]
Wade "Whimsey on Why " Set#3 (complete set) England RARE !!! No reserve.. US $80.00 [0 bids]
SUPER WHY AROUND THE WORLD ADVENTURE New Sealed DVD PBS US $5.18 Buy It Now 11 days
CHILDCRAFT VOLUMES 1-15 WORLD BOOK THE HOW AND WHY LIBRARY 1968 EDITIONS US $19.99 [0 bids]
SPECIALS GHOST TOWN WHY ? TWO TONE CHS TT 17 PAPER LABEL REGGAE SKA special AKA US $5.02 [2 bids]
The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't W US $7.09 Buy It Now 16 days
The Raik's Progress - Why Did You Rob Us, Tank?//Sewer Rat Love Chant US $24.00 [0 bids]
Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too (DVD, 2010, WS) US $3.25 [5 bids]
Why Suffering? - Zacharias, Ravi K./ Vitale, Vince US $15.00 Buy It Now 26 days
NEW - VHS - EYEWITNESS - SEASHORE - Why do wildlife and humans gather there? US $0.99 [1 bids]
Jazz 45 SONNY ROLLINS You Stepped Out Of A Dream/Why Don't I on Blue Note VG++ US $7.99 [1 bids]
National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Why (Hardcover) 1426307934 US $11.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Why Homer Matters by Adam Nicolson (2014, New ARC) US $4.99 [1 bids]
JAZZ HARRY RESER CLEVELANDERS Why? DUOPHONE 4013 US $19.99 [0 bids]
SUPER WHY ATTACK OF THE ERASER New Sealed DVD US $7.17 Buy It Now 15 days
JAZZ ROGER WOLFE KAHN Tell Me Why You Smile, Mona Lisa? COLUMBIA 2662 US $30.99 [2 bids]
12 Reasons Why People Overeat CD By Joyce Meyer God Has a Plan For You 900616 -A US $9.99 [1 bids]
Michael Jordan Why I Succeed Quote Poster, 13x19 US $8.35 Buy It Now 13 days
Zildjian A 12 " splash 425 gr. Pre sn. Why pay $135?? Plays great US $39.00 [0 bids]
Why America Is Free - History of the Founding of America 4th/5th Grade US $0.99 [1 bids]
New 2015 ALTO Saxophone Sax w/ Case & Yamaha Care Kit ???? WHY RENT??? US $302.90 Buy It Now 2h 23m
How and Why to Build a Wine Cellar 3rd Ed., Richard M. Gold Grape Wines Storage US $0.99 [2 bids]
John R. Rice Sermons HBDJ 1973 G "My God, Why?" The Hands of Jesus more US $2.52 [2 bids]
John Wayne - America Why I Love Her [CD New] US $12.27 Buy It Now 12 days
Good to Great : Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't by Jim... US $0.99 [0 bids]
One Antique Brass or Bronze Victorian Doorknob - Why Not Start a Collection? US $17.00 [0 bids]
Bauer Hockey Banner "Why We Play" US $150.00 [0 bids]
THE SPIDERS PRE-ALICE COOPER WHY DON'T...+ 3 SUNDAZED 45 US $8.98 Buy It Now 17 days
THE CHRISTIAN BOOK OF WHY, JOHN McCOLLISTER, 1983 US $2.00 [0 bids]
Super Why! Removable Wall Decorations US $13.49 Buy It Now 22 days
"WHY ARE WE HERE?"1983 7"EP 33RPM NO CORE RECORDS FOLD-OUT POSTER SLEEVE-RARE!! US $9.99 [1 bids]
WHY SUFFERING? (9781455549702) - VINCE VITALE RAVI K. ZACHARIAS (HARDCOVER) NEW US $18.08 Buy It Now 15 days
Pfister Wheaton F-529-7WHY Soap Dispenser Tuscan Bronze US $15.00 [1 bids]
Princess Presto Super Why Doll Toy 9" Pink Dress & Cape PBS Jointed Poseable US $9.99 [0 bids]
Why We Ride DVD Documentary - Motorcycle Riding Movie Video NEW US $20.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Monster High: Friday Night Frights/Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love? (DVD, 2013) US $5.50 [7 bids]
D. Tempest postcard/ little girl/ "why don't you rite?"/ greetings postcard US $0.35 [2 bids]
Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher, Paperback 2011, New, Free Shipping US $7.73 Buy It Now 14 days
NWT Authentic MICHAEL KORS Jet Set Chain Gold Handbag Tote Why pay $248? US $139.95 [0 bids]
Why We Ride Motorcycle Documentary DVD US $10.00 [2 bids]
JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters US $9.94 Buy It Now 27 days
The Best Of RY COODER Why Don't You Try Me Tonight? CD EXCELLENT CONDITION US $3.89 [0 bids]
Gospel LP Birmingham Community Choir with Isaac Douglas "Why Can't I" US $1.00 [1 bids]
OAKLEY WIRE KIT A,C, SQUARE WIRE 2.0,BIG SQUARE WIRE WHY WHISKER 06-485-BLACK US $15.90 Buy It Now 1 day
The Advantage : Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Bus. ***NEW* US $4.99 [2 bids]
Jackie Wilson - Please Tell Me Why & Your One And Only Love US $0.50 [1 bids]
Why Do We Say It?: The Stories Behind the Words, Expressions and Cliches We Use US $3.97 Buy It Now 19 days
THE MAGNIFICENTS 78rpm Doo-Wop 1st Record " WHY DID SHE GO " FROM 1956 VG+VG++ US $7.99 [0 bids]
**VERY RARE Super Why Wyatt 12 Inch Talking PBS Plush Toy Learning Curve 2009 US $50.00 [0 bids]
cowboy why quit when your loosing lp record album capricorn records 2 lp's US $5.00 [1 bids]
Ask Me Why I'm Lazy T Shirt Funny Flipup Sloth Shirts US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ITALY EAST AFRICA ANTI FASCISM Why? ..Why? They want go to the movies Macalle. US $19.99 [0 bids]
ITALY EAST AFRICA ANTI FASCISM Why? ..Why? They want go to the movies Mac US $19.99 [0 bids]
JIMMY BUFFETT Lower Latitudes Why Irish Eyes are Smilin BEER T Shirt Large US $7.25 [2 bids]
Just Because You're You That's Why I Love You 1922 sheet music US $1.04 [3 bids]
THE IN CROWD Why Must They Criticise / I Don't Mind UK 45 nice copy criticize US $195.98 [5 bids]
ROGER MARIS 61 IN 1961 YANKEES 9-CARD ETCHED IN STONE SET WHY NOT HALL OF FAME? US $0.99 [2 bids]
Why Men Prefer Guns TIN SIGN funny metal hunt ammo bar mancave garage decor OHW US $12.95 Buy It Now 25 days
Balzac (1893/Wood Engravings) The Purse/Cousin Pons/Why the Atheist Prayed... US $3.99 [0 bids]
Agatha Christie Why Didn't They Ask Evans? 1st/1st - hardback book US $501.70 [0 bids]
WHY TIME BEGINS ON OPENING DAY Paperback Book (1984) US $1.49 [0 bids]
Whimsey On Why Butcher Shop Wade England #28 from SET 4 1985 mint VERY RARE HTF US $0.99 [0 bids]
Super Why The Princess and the Pea kids story picture book PBS series preschool US $1.79 Buy It Now 1 day
I Wonder Why Books Set of 12 US $14.99 [0 bids]
Monster High: Friday Night Frights/Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love? (DVD, 2013) US $2.75 [8 bids]
A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing- NEW US $10.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Very Hard to Find Super Why WYATT 6" Action Figure NIB- Learning Curve Brands US $75.00 [0 bids]
RAINING LOVE Why RARE GARAGE / PSYCH 45 Garland LISTEN US $4.99 [1 bids]
Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter by Bissell, Tom US $4.94 Buy It Now 26 days
ELVIS PRESLEY 'S 45 RECORD OF ( TELL ME WHY ) US $5.95 [0 bids]
Bamforth 4 A Why don't you write. beautiful lady hat with roses US $2.75 [3 bids]

More places to buy MÁQUINA! music online Buy MÁQUINA! & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MÁQUINA! DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(20%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(35%)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars With this stunning debut, Máquina! scored heavily for posterity as this is the first known ROCK album to come from Spain and what an astounding one it is!!! Really these guys made one hell of rebellious record given the context in which Spain was being submitted to Franco's dictature. A stunning artwork depicting a clock rising from a croissant was clearly a call for Spanish youth to wake-up (and have a good breakfast) and get ready for a new day. Quite a revolution knowing the ultra conservateur nature of El Caudillo, even if by that time Spain was letting loose things as European tourist money was flowing in (including this writer spending a few Easter holidays as a kid around those years;-) but although the end was near, it was incredibly risky.

Stylistically, we are dealing with a psych/prog rock with extended and excellent interplay, somewhere in between live Cream (with KBs) and early Floyd or even a live Grateful Dead. The twin guitars are one of the features but one of them played bass when the bassist was busy with the flute or singing. The opening track is simply a superb atmospheric instrumental with organ-piano KB attack doubled by a superb and orgasmic guitar, a pure delight! Then comes the 25 min title track (broken over the two sides of the vinyl) with superb organs, twin guitar attack and rather enjoyable but muffled-in vocals, the whole thing going on an not too extended jam and evolving to one of the more entertaining drum solo I have ever been given to listen - maybe because it is not a pure solo as the KB outlines a few phase here and there. The second part of Why? opens the second side of the vinyl and picks up where the first part had left: a superb mostly instrumental enthusiastic prog-tinged rock jam. Quite enjoyable, especially when discovering this in 05, some 35 years after it was recorded. There are some particularly exhilarating moments in this track! The last track is yet another great tune

The two bonus tracks are the afore-mentioned single tracks and although a bit different than the album (especially in the vocal dept but the Earth's Daughter track sounds like some David Bowie spin-off), they do not interfere in the continuous ambiance of the album and they add to the album's incredibly short duration. This album is a relative minor gem for progheads but is a 24-carat nugget for the psych-jam group fans!! Impressive, although I must be careful in not over- rating it!! But I think rounding it up to the upper star is not insulting the album or the proghead.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#67739) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Review by Gerinski
3 stars I must start by saying that I'm not very keen on proto-prog, and if you like this sub-genre you will most likely add one more star to my rating, perhaps even two.

I have often seen Maquina!'s Why? described as "one of the best rock albums ever made in Spain". Well, that's an opinion I certainly do not share for what concerns the quality of the music as such, but what is true is that this was an album of great historical significance, in spanish rock there would be a "before Why?" and an "after Why?".

Spain was still under the dictatorship of Franco (until late 1975) and everything which looked or sounded too modern or libertarian was censored, so all the true aspects of rock came late and watered down. Sure enough there was some late 60's beat and psychedelia, but it was a carefully sanitized version of the real thing, with all the guys / girls looking nice and tidy, the songs still kept short, not too wild and with innocuous lyrics. Maquina! from Barcelona in the region of Catalunya were the first band to portray a genuine free and hippy attitude, with really long hair, long instrumental jams and non-commercial stance (in parallel Smash would do the same in the southern region of Andalucia). They achieved this partly by singing in english and by avoiding any political connotations in their lyrics. The term Prog was not yet used and this music became known in Spain as "Underground".

The music is proto-prog, influenced by the likes of Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Brian Auger, Hendrix etc, with a trippy rhythm section filled up with fuzz guitar and Hammond.

The opener I Believe became quickly popular by its distinctive ¾ beat, still not very widespread in those times. The title track Why? accounts for nearly 25 minutes which in those times in Spain was unheard of, and it was splitted in the 2 sides of the LP, the first part of 12 min in side A being the main song theme and the 13 min in side B being mainly an instrumental jam with a reprise of the song theme in the end. Really something special for Spain in those times. The last song on the LP was Let Me Be Born, something more like a Beatles song.

In the CD edition there are 2 bonus tracks, Earth's Daughter and Look Away Our Happiness, originally released as a single in 1969, the first one very much influenced by The Beatles and the latter more similar to a Brian Auger fast-rhythm soul track.

Regarding the cover art with the clock stuck on a croissant, it has been frequently interpreted as a methapor "calling Spain to wake up from the Franco dictatorial regime" but its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained in an interview that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the clock. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Their next release "En Directo" would be quite different due to line-up changes, more jazz- rock-soul oriented and with much more brass.

In summary, recommended for fans of proto-prog or those curious for the development of prog in Spain, but far from essential in my personal book.

Send comments to Gerinski (BETA) | Report this review (#642241) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012

4 stars "Why? Máquina" is the first album of MÁQUINA!, a Catalan progressive rock's band, the first progressive band in Spain. In 1970 Franco was still in the government in Spain, so Spain was not a democratic country and it wasn't easy to make progressive rock. Máquina! didn't use the Spanish or Catal ... (read more)

Report this review (#132040) | Posted by komun | Monday, August 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MÁQUINA! "Why? Máquina! "