WHY? MÁQUINA!

Buy MÁQUINA! Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. I Believe (4 :11)
2. Why? (11:52)
3. Why? (continuacio) (12:58)
4. Let Me Be Born (3:03)
Bonus tracks
5. Earth's Daughter (4:37)
6. Look Away Our Hapiness (4:09)

Search MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! lyrics

- Jordi Batiste / vocals, flute, bass

LP Diabolo Records
CD reissue PDI X-80.2998

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MÁQUINA! MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! Music

Hot Chip - Why Make Sense? USD $6.74 [6 bids]
46m 48s
MILTON BRADLEY WHY Alfred Hitchcock 1958 BOARD GAME VINTAGE COMPLETE MB #4845 USD $17.95 Buy It Now 29 days
Oral Caress "Why Can't Our Love Be Like It Was Before" Sweet Soul 45 P USD $26.00 [4 bids]
Frank Zappa Mothers of Invention 45 record "Why Don't You Do Me Right" Verve USD $35.15 [7 bids]
Super Why - Size: Child (4-6) New USD $21.51 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE DOO WOP-FIRST PRESS-HENRY STROGIN & CROWNS-WHY DID YOU GO AWAY-BALL 1015 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
ORIGINAL ELVIS 45 WITH W/PS TELL ME WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USD $5.00 [2 bids]
Why buy BROKEN when you can buy a NEW JTech Chiropractic Adjusting Tool USD $146.50 Buy It Now 6 days
Funk Blues 45 MAGIC SLIM & TEARDROPS Wonder Why MEAN MISTREATER HEAR USD $34.00 [7 bids]
BB King Why Did You Leave Me / Blind Love 78 RPM Records 395 RIP Shellac B.B. USD $9.99 [1 bids]
Clinton Cash : The Untold Story of How and Why Foreign Governments and... USD $17.43 Buy It Now 14 days
George Lopez: Why You Crying? USD $1.25 [2 bids]
Dr Sevss Why Fit In When You Were letter wall stickers home art decor decal USD $1.25 [10 bids]
DEL SHANNON..........(UK) sheet music....."Why Don't You Tell Him" USD $4.19 Buy It Now 29 days
WAR AVENUE GOLD COLLECTION 24 Kt CD Why Can't We Be Friends All Day Music Platin USD $49.99 [0 bids]
USD $79.99 Buy It Now
Why Believe? The Twelve 8-message series Jack Graham Audio CD's set USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Contagious: Why Things Catch On Berger, Jonah USD $7.95 Buy It Now 23 days
Why I Sing the Blues by B.B. King CD MCA 1995 (featuring Carole King on 1 Song) USD $0.99 [1 bids]
6h
HARD ROCK CAFE DESTIN 2009 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN WHY GUITAR PIN # 50368 USD $12.75 [1 bids]
Bloodtypes, Bodytypes, and You : Why Your Unique Genetic Code Is the Key to... USD $10.98 Buy It Now 28 days
The Upside of Stress : Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It by USD $1.82 [2 bids]
The Professor in the Cage : Why Men Fight and Why We Like to Watch by Jonathan G USD $10.50 [6 bids]
SUPER WHY JACK AND BEANSTALK STORY BOOK ADVENTURES DVD USD $5.38 Buy It Now 20 days
Connie Stevens - 45 - Why'd You Wanna Make Me Cry USD $1.80 [2 bids]
17h
Ez Pass Holder (Why ruin your car window!?) works for Both Old and New Tag USD $3.69 [0 bids]
2012 HA Why the Hall Not Davis Ortiz 24/50 PSA/DNA Autograph BGH bc Hell USD $49.99 [0 bids]
april why nots womens dress size L USD $10.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Whimsey-On-Why Porcelain English Village Set 3 with Original Box Wade USD $35.99 [0 bids]
USD $49.99 Buy It Now
Super Why, Magic Doodle board, HTF USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Why Men Love Bitches & Why Men Marry Bitches - Book Set - by Sherry Argov USD $12.99 Buy It Now 24 days
VAN HALEN - WHY CAN'T THIS BE LOVE 7" JAPAN ORIG 1986 VERY RARE EX+ USD $4.64 [0 bids]
Anime Explosion! : The What? Why? and Wow! of Japanese Animation, Revised and... USD $1.00 [0 bids]
Why You Crying (2005) - Used - Dvd USD $1.99 Buy It Now 17 days
THE SPANIELS~ DEAR HEART / WHY WON'T YOU DANCE - RARE DOO-WOP R&B BALLAD VEE-JAY USD $24.99 [0 bids]
Why Did I Get Married Too? Blu Ray Tyler Perry, Janet Jackson USD $3.00 [0 bids]
* RY COODER - Why Dont You Try Me (Best Of) USD $7.99 Buy It Now 25 days
ARABESQUE Why No Reply VIP-28064 OBI LP Au5934 USD $10.51 [2 bids]
Capsoul 45RPM Crossover Soul Kool Blues Im Gonna Keep On Loving You Why Did I Go USD $10.00 [2 bids]
MATT MONRO..............(UK) sheet music....."Why Not Now ?" USD $4.19 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Did I Get Married? (DVD, 2006) USD $1.99 [0 bids]
The Upside of Stress : Why Stress Is Good for You by Kelly McGonigal Ph.D NEW HC USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Hot Chip - Why Make Sense? **FREE P&P** USD $12.39 Buy It Now 27 days
Dr.Sevss Why Fit In When You Were wall stickers home art decor wall art USD $1.04 [3 bids]
Liz Phair - US Promo set of 5 Stickers 6" x 4" Why Can't I? Unused USD $1.95 [1 bids]
SUPER WHY!: SUPER READER DOUBLE FEATURE - NEW DVD USD $7.13 Buy It Now 23 days
Never Used Beats Studio Wireless - Amazing Price - Why pay retail $399+Tax? USD $210.00 [0 bids]
USD $355.00 Buy It Now
THE CABLES Baby Why / Be A Man BLANK PRE Reggae 7" HEAR USD $6.99 [1 bids]
Why Can't I Get Better?, Richard I. Horowitz, New Book USD $20.47 Buy It Now 17 days
Air Jordan Xx8 Why Not Size10 New With Box USD $250.00 [0 bids]
Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? (Blu-ray Disc, 2010) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
SHINee - Vol.3 : Chapter 2 'Why So Serious?: The Misconception of Me' ALBUM USD $1.80 [4 bids]
Knock Knock Fill-In-The-Blank Why You're So Awesome Gift Book LAST ONE USD $12.95 Buy It Now 22 days
DISCHARGE Why 35137-18 JAPAN LP w/OBI 082az7 USD $49.99 [0 bids]
The Power of Habit : Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business-Hardcover. USD $0.99 [1 bids]
FAIRY TALE BHUTAN WHY THE DEER HAS NO TAIL USD $2.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Oakley Why 3 Titanium VR 50 Esmerald Iridium Sunglasses Used USD $99.00 [0 bids]
USD $150.00 Buy It Now
STOP THE THYROID MADNESS BOOK JANIE BOWTHORPE Why Do I Still Have Symptoms When USD $26.99 [0 bids]
USD $36.99 Buy It Now
VINTAGE 1973 CHILDCRAFT HOW & WHY LIBRARY SERIES 1-15 PLUS 1973 ANNUAL USD $74.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ROOSEVELT GRIER PROMO-THE TROYES WHY-ELECTRIC JOHNNY AND SHEL SILVERSTEIN PROMO USD $1.25 [2 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY Hard Headed Woman / Don't Ask Me Why 45 Pic Slv RCA 47-7280 USD $5.00 [0 bids]
Tac Force Assisted Open Joker Why So Serious? Tactical Rescue Pocket Knife PGN USD $9.95 Buy It Now 25 days
Why Take Drugs When You Can Wear Them navy or white USD $1.29 [3 bids]
SHINee Why So Serious?: The misconceptions of me + KEY PHOTOCARD USD $10.00 [1 bids]
Wade BARLEY MOW Whimsey On Why Figurine #8 Pub USD $7.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Norman Petty Trio * 45 * "X" * I Wonder Why & Three Little Kisses USD $0.99 [0 bids]
hamilton movement.shes gone.nat hall.why.mafis ri...northern soul. USD $41.86 [8 bids]
Why Didn't I Learn This in College? USD $3.99 Buy It Now 15 days
K-12 A History Of Us Why Am A And B By Joy Hankin USD $19.99 [0 bids]
USD $34.99 Buy It Now
Why Presented by Alfred Hitchcock Vintage 1958 Milton Bradley Board Game Clue USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Clinton Cash by Peter Schweizer (The Untold Story of How & Why) USD $13.50 Buy It Now 26 days
BONGO HERMAN & BINGY BUNNY - ROOTS & SOUL on ELECTRO - Over Cables Baby Why MP3 USD $8.49 [0 bids]
THE WHY STORE - MCA-CD USD $0.01 [1 bids]
Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror Scheuer, Michael USD $3.98 Buy It Now 17 days
THE WHY STORE - SELF TITLED-CD USD $0.01 [0 bids]
Anthony Newley Why Uk 45 Single Rock 'N' Roll Beatles 60S USD $1.53 [0 bids]
Rad Trad - The #1 Most Purchased Wooden REAL Boomerang on Ebay - FIND OUT WHY :) USD $15.99 [0 bids]
Justice That Restores : Why Our Justice System Doesn't Work and the Only... USD $2.25 Buy It Now 6 days
The Entrepreneur Roller Coaster: Why Now Is the Time to #JoinTheRide-NEW-D Hardy USD $15.50 [2 bids]
15 Volume Set of Childcrafts "The How And Why Library" / 1976 USD $5.95 [0 bids]
AUGUST 1959 REDBOOK MAGAZINE BIG FICTION ISSUE FRANK SINATRA WHY THEY HATE ME USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MONICA - WHY I LOVE YOU SO MUCH- SINGLE-CD USD $0.01 [0 bids]
" WHY DO THE EDEN REIGN. " capleton. MIXING LAB RECORDS 7in 1994. USD $7.67 [1 bids]
Why We Ride DVD Documentary - Motorcycle Riding Movie Video NEW USD $19.95 Buy It Now 6 days
USA - 1906 ILLUSTRATED -WHY THE 'DEVIL' DON'T I HEAR FROM YOU POST CARD - SCARCE USD $1.53 [1 bids]
Tell Me Why - Space, Earth & Atmosphere/ Gems, Metals & Minerals (DVD, 2003) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
WEST, BRUCE & LAING - "WHY DONTCHA" / COLUMBIA / '72 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 27 days
CREWE 70s pop rock PROMO 45 LESLEY GORE - Why Doesn't Love Make Me Happy NICE USD $3.00 [1 bids]
Why Did I Get Married Too? Blu Ray *Disc Only* Tyler Perry, Janet Jackson USD $1.25 [4 bids]
The Cranberries : Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Cant We? CD (1993) USD $3.25 Buy It Now 14 days
FATS DOMINO 45 Record 1328R Sparton - Why Don't You Do Right / Wigs - PROMO COPY USD $5.00 [0 bids]
PRINCE WHY YOU WANNA TREAT ME SO BAD 12" SINGLE ON WB PRO-A-848!! RARE PROMO!! USD $49.99 [2 bids]
The Righteous Mind By Jonathan Haidt: Why Good People Are Divided Paperback NEW USD $13.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Monster High: Friday Night Frights/Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love? (DVD, 2013) USD $1.04 [2 bids]
Israel Vibration ex record LP Why You so Craven USD $24.99 [0 bids]
Boga Style Fish lip grips with 40# scale. WHY PAY MORE!! USD $24.99 Buy It Now 29 days
OMWEEKEND, omighty WHY ARE YOU STILL TALKING crop top sz small USD $16.00 [0 bids]
USD $28.00 Buy It Now
West, Bruce & Laing ?- Why Dontcha ?LP Album Vinyl Record USD $1.25 [0 bids]
VARETTA DILLARD-RnB,NORTHERN SOUL 45-THAT'S WHY I CRY*LISTEN* USD $7.74 Buy It Now 29 days
1964 Why I Built the BOOGLE HOUSE by Helen Palmer with photographs by Lynn Fayma USD $0.55 [3 bids]
Super Why Cape Mask & Why Writer Costume Wyatt's Whyatt Light Up Talking Wand USD $25.00 [2 bids]
0 result found for "MÁQUINA!"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy MÁQUINA! music online Buy MÁQUINA! & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MÁQUINA! DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(19%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars With this stunning debut, Máquina! scored heavily for posterity as this is the first known ROCK album to come from Spain and what an astounding one it is!!! Really these guys made one hell of rebellious record given the context in which Spain was being submitted to Franco's dictature. A stunning artwork depicting a clock rising from a croissant was clearly a call for Spanish youth to wake-up (and have a good breakfast) and get ready for a new day. Quite a revolution knowing the ultra conservateur nature of El Caudillo, even if by that time Spain was letting loose things as European tourist money was flowing in (including this writer spending a few Easter holidays as a kid around those years;-) but although the end was near, it was incredibly risky.

Stylistically, we are dealing with a psych/prog rock with extended and excellent interplay, somewhere in between live Cream (with KBs) and early Floyd or even a live Grateful Dead. The twin guitars are one of the features but one of them played bass when the bassist was busy with the flute or singing. The opening track is simply a superb atmospheric instrumental with organ-piano KB attack doubled by a superb and orgasmic guitar, a pure delight! Then comes the 25 min title track (broken over the two sides of the vinyl) with superb organs, twin guitar attack and rather enjoyable but muffled-in vocals, the whole thing going on an not too extended jam and evolving to one of the more entertaining drum solo I have ever been given to listen - maybe because it is not a pure solo as the KB outlines a few phase here and there. The second part of Why? opens the second side of the vinyl and picks up where the first part had left: a superb mostly instrumental enthusiastic prog-tinged rock jam. Quite enjoyable, especially when discovering this in 05, some 35 years after it was recorded. There are some particularly exhilarating moments in this track! The last track is yet another great tune

The two bonus tracks are the afore-mentioned single tracks and although a bit different than the album (especially in the vocal dept but the Earth's Daughter track sounds like some David Bowie spin-off), they do not interfere in the continuous ambiance of the album and they add to the album's incredibly short duration. This album is a relative minor gem for progheads but is a 24-carat nugget for the psych-jam group fans!! Impressive, although I must be careful in not over- rating it!! But I think rounding it up to the upper star is not insulting the album or the proghead.

Review by Gerinski
3 stars I must start by saying that I'm not very keen on proto-prog, and if you like this sub-genre you will most likely add one more star to my rating, perhaps even two.

I have often seen Maquina!'s Why? described as "one of the best rock albums ever made in Spain". Well, that's an opinion I certainly do not share for what concerns the quality of the music as such, but what is true is that this was an album of great historical significance, in spanish rock there would be a "before Why?" and an "after Why?".

Spain was still under the dictatorship of Franco (until late 1975) and everything which looked or sounded too modern or libertarian was censored, so all the true aspects of rock came late and watered down. Sure enough there was some late 60's beat and psychedelia, but it was a carefully sanitized version of the real thing, with all the guys / girls looking nice and tidy, the songs still kept short, not too wild and with innocuous lyrics. Maquina! from Barcelona in the region of Catalunya were the first band to portray a genuine free and hippy attitude, with really long hair, long instrumental jams and non-commercial stance (in parallel Smash would do the same in the southern region of Andalucia). They achieved this partly by singing in english and by avoiding any political connotations in their lyrics. The term Prog was not yet used and this music became known in Spain as "Underground".

The music is proto-prog, influenced by the likes of Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Brian Auger, Hendrix etc, with a trippy rhythm section filled up with fuzz guitar and Hammond.

The opener I Believe became quickly popular by its distinctive ¾ beat, still not very widespread in those times. The title track Why? accounts for nearly 25 minutes which in those times in Spain was unheard of, and it was splitted in the 2 sides of the LP, the first part of 12 min in side A being the main song theme and the 13 min in side B being mainly an instrumental jam with a reprise of the song theme in the end. Really something special for Spain in those times. The last song on the LP was Let Me Be Born, something more like a Beatles song.

In the CD edition there are 2 bonus tracks, Earth's Daughter and Look Away Our Happiness, originally released as a single in 1969, the first one very much influenced by The Beatles and the latter more similar to a Brian Auger fast-rhythm soul track.

Regarding the cover art with the clock stuck on a croissant, it has been frequently interpreted as a methapor "calling Spain to wake up from the Franco dictatorial regime" but its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained in an interview that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the clock. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Their next release "En Directo" would be quite different due to line-up changes, more jazz- rock-soul oriented and with much more brass.

In summary, recommended for fans of proto-prog or those curious for the development of prog in Spain, but far from essential in my personal book.

4 stars "Why? Máquina" is the first album of MÁQUINA!, a Catalan progressive rock's band, the first progressive band in Spain. In 1970 Franco was still in the government in Spain, so Spain was not a democratic country and it wasn't easy to make progressive rock. Máquina! didn't use the Spanish or Catal ... (read more)

Report this review (#132040) | Posted by komun | Monday, August 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MÁQUINA! "Why? Máquina! "