WHY? MÁQUINA!

Buy MÁQUINA! Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. I Believe (4 :11)
2. Why? (11:52)
3. Why? (continuacio) (12:58)
4. Let Me Be Born (3:03)
Bonus tracks
5. Earth's Daughter (4:37)
6. Look Away Our Hapiness (4:09)

Search MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! lyrics

- Jordi Batiste / vocals, flute, bass

LP Diabolo Records
CD reissue PDI X-80.2998

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MÁQUINA! MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! Music

Why You Do the Things You Do: The Secret to Healthy Relationships USD $9.39 Buy It Now 28 days
The Upside of Stress : Why Stress Is Good for You, & How to Get Good at It - NEW USD $10.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Jesus, Continued...: Why the Spirit Inside You is Better than Jesus Beside You USD $12.19 Buy It Now 29 days
Why We Lose at Chess by Colin Crouch (2010, Paperback) Book USD $15.00 Buy It Now 16 days
Why Hitler Lost WWII : 6 Films (DVD, 2014) * NEW * USD $7.03 Buy It Now 11 days
SHOPWORN - Why We Lose at Chess USCF Sales USD $13.50 Buy It Now 23 days
Still the Best Hope: Why the World Needs American Values to Triumph USD $12.65 Buy It Now 29 days
Why We Run: A Natural History USD $8.84 Buy It Now 23 days
Why We Suck : A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid by... USD $10.50 Buy It Now 12 days
NEW! Pure Pleasure: Why Do Christians Feel So Bad about Feeling Good? USD $5.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours, USD $11.96 Buy It Now 7 days
Pure Pleasure: Why Do Christians Feel So Bad about Feeling Good? USD $6.15 Buy It Now 3 days
V Smile V Motion Game Super Why USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? (Widescreen Edition) [DVD] USD $4.95 Buy It Now 25 days
NEW - Being United Methodist: What It Means, Why It Matters USD $7.13 Buy It Now 22 days
Understanding People: Why We Long for Relationship USD $6.64 Buy It Now 13 days
Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action ( Paperback) USD $11.60 Buy It Now 20 days
Why I wave the Confederate Flag USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
The Power of Habit : Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business SC USD $10.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Globalization and Competition: Why Some Emergent Countries Succeed while Others USD $21.85 Buy It Now 3 days
Why We Ride DVD Documentary - Motorcycle Riding Movie Video NEW USD $20.98 Buy It Now 3 days
With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change USD $10.16 Buy It Now 23 days
NEW - Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype by Baer, Jay USD $9.63 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Do We Fight? : Conflict, War, and Peace by Niki Walker and Owlkids Books... USD $9.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill (2004, Paperback, Reprint) USD $7.06 Buy It Now 21 days
Quitting Church: Why the Faithful are Fleeing and What to Do about It by J. Duin USD $5.20 Buy It Now 10 days
VTech V Smile V Motion Game Super Why The Day Day Mystery Preschool Skills USD $3.99 Buy It Now 5 days
I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS [9780345514400] - MAYA ANGELOU (PAPERBACK) NEW USD $7.12 Buy It Now 14 days
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (2002, Hardcover) USD $12.46 Buy It Now 28 days
Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever USD $6.60 Buy It Now 23 days
WHY SUFFERING? (9781455549702) - VINCE VITALE RAVI K. ZACHARIAS (HARDCOVER) NEW USD $17.05 Buy It Now 8 days
Start with Why How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek USD $8.75 Buy It Now 15 days
Curious: The Desire to Know and Why Your Future Depends On It USD $10.21 Buy It Now 11 days
The Upside of Stress : Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It ... USD $13.46 Buy It Now 28 days
Why Do Birds Build Nests? by Susan Horner USD $4.50 Buy It Now 29 days
WHY EVOLUTION IS TRUE - JERRY A. COYNE (PAPERBACK) NEW USD $13.71 Buy It Now 8 days
The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are USD $6.49 Buy It Now 9 days
The Great Cholesterol Myth : Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent WT68659 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 17 days
Good Growing: Why Organic Farming Works (Our Sustainable Future) Leslie Duram USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Leonard Ravenhill ~ Why Revival Tarries (1965, Paperback) Good! USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Book about Islam - Why did they become Muslims USD $3.50 Buy It Now 15 days
Why We Ride Motorcycle Riding Camraderie Friends Family DVD Video NEW USD $19.01 Buy It Now 13 days
Let's Read and Find Out - Science * Why Frogs are Wet? / Stage 2 Homeschool USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Why Do Plants Grow? by Susan Horner USD $5.33 Buy It Now 19 days
Why We Left Islam: Former Muslims Speak Out by Richardson, Joel, Crimp, Susan USD $10.53 Buy It Now 26 days
Jesus Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and B USD $9.94 Buy It Now 28 days
Midas Touch: Why Some Entrepreneurs Get Rich-And Why Most Don't by Donald J. Tr USD $9.20 Buy It Now 28 days
How to Think Like a Horse : The Essential Handbook for Understanding Why... USD $4.95 [0 bids]
Why Photography Matters by Jerry L. Thompson (2013, Hardcover) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 15 days
WHY CAN'T I GET BETTER? - RICHARD I. HOROWITZ (HARDCOVER) NEW USD $22.34 Buy It Now 25 days
WHY WE GET FAT AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT - GARY TAUBES (PAPERBACK) NEW USD $12.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty USD $11.75 Buy It Now 14 days
LifeGuide® Bible Studies: Galatians : Why God Accepts Us by Jack Kuhatschek... USD $4.69 Buy It Now 6 days
Why A Shepherd/Why A Manger Books- Bodie & Brock Thoene USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Deep Survival : Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales (2006, CD,... USD $8.50 Buy It Now 14 days
The Question That Never Goes Away: Why? USD $7.40 Buy It Now 10 days
NEW - Gods Generals: Why They Succeeded And Why Some Fail USD $13.42 Buy It Now 16 days
Vintage Why The South Lost The Civil War Beringer, Hattaway, Jones USD $9.95 [0 bids]
88 REASONS why the rapture will be in 1988 / On borrowed time USD $2.75 [0 bids]
God's Gift of Christmas, Can God Bless America, Why One Way - John MacArthur NEW USD $8.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Why Sinatra Matters by Pete Hamill (1998, Hardcover) USD $6.49 Buy It Now 28 days
A Life God Rewards : Why Everything You Do Today Matters Forever Bk. 3 by Bru... USD $7.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Why Make Sense? [5/19] * by Hot Chip (Vinyl, May-2015, Domino) USD $16.69 Buy It Now 19 days
A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel H. Pink, (Pa USD $11.74 Buy It Now 15 days
WWI A Photographic History Why America Won The War Volumes 1 thru 18 John Baxter USD $19.95 Buy It Now 6 days
WHY DIE? Graem Sims THE LIFE OF PERCY CERUTTY Athletics Guru OLYMPIC COACH VGC USD $46.49 Buy It Now 29 days
Save the Males: Why Men Matter Why Women Should Care USD $7.11 Buy It Now 24 days
New! PEMF - The Fifth Element of Health: Learn Why Pulsed Electromagnetic Field USD $19.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Exponential Organizations: Why new organizations by Salim Ismail (Paperback) NEW USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Potty Training 1-2-3 : What Works, How it Works, Why it Works Parenting USD $4.50 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Church Matters: Discovering Your Place in the Family of God USD $4.77 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Not Socialism? by G. A. Cohen (2009, Hardcover) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa by Dam USD $12.00 Buy It Now 16 days
My Conference Can Beat Your Conference: Why the SEC Still Rules College Football USD $8.58 Buy It Now 28 days
Why You Act the Way You Do by Tim LaHaye (1988, Paperback) FREE SHIPPING USD $4.65 Buy It Now 4 days
How and Why We Age by Leonard Hayflick (1996, Paperback) USD $5.50 Buy It Now 17 days
Between a Rock and a Hot Place: Why 50 Is Not the New 30, Tracey Jackson SIGNED USD $9.98 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Catholics Are Right, Coren, Michael, Good Book USD $6.56 Buy It Now 26 days
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou, Paperback 2009, New USD $5.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Working Together: Why Great Partnerships Succeed USD $5.40 Buy It Now 28 days
The Warren Buffett Stock Portfolio: Warren Buffett Stock Picks: Why and When He USD $3.90 Buy It Now 7 days
Why Football Matters : My Education in the Game by Mark Edmundson (2014,... USD $12.99 Buy It Now 28 days
The Epistle To The Hebrews Who Wrote It and Why? by Cornelius R. Stam Berean USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Vintage 1974 Childcraft How & Why Series 1-15 Complete 15 Volume Set Hardback USD $49.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Why Tears? the Mystery of Your Emotions USD $9.04 Buy It Now 22 days
Super Why Wyatt Learning Curve Action Figure USD $20.00 Buy It Now 23 days
Elvis, Why Don't They Leave You Alone? by Mary Mann and May Mann (1982, Paper... USD $17.55 Buy It Now 28 days
Why I Farm Gary Romano pb food agriculture USD $5.50 Buy It Now 15 days
Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants Turtleback School & Library Binding Ed USD $6.34 Buy It Now 29 days
The Power of Habit Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (pb) Charles Duhigg USD $7.99 Buy It Now 23 days
America, Why I Love Her by John Wayne 1978 PB SHIPS FREE USD $8.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Misquoting Jesus : The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D.... USD $2.50 [0 bids]
Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Information About Animals - New Softcover @ USD $8.95 Buy It Now 9 days
I KNOW WHY THE CAGE BIRD SINGS 1969 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE How and Why Book, Planets and Interplanetary Travel (1967, PAPERBACK) USD $7.97 Buy It Now 29 days
Spinning in the Old Way : How (and Why) to Make Your Own Yarn with a... USD $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Rare Learning Curve PBS Show Super Why Whyatt Wyatt Boy 9inches Plush USD $19.98 Buy It Now 19 days
Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses? : And Other Imponderables by David Feldman (1991) USD $3.59 Buy It Now 29 days
Cauldron: Supernatural Implications of the Current Middle East -- and Why What H USD $9.36 Buy It Now 29 days
Why Time Begins on Opening Day by Thomas Boswell (1984, Hardcover) USD $8.25 Buy It Now 15 days

More places to buy MÁQUINA! music online Buy MÁQUINA! & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MÁQUINA! DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(23%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(32%)

MÁQUINA! Why? Máquina! reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars With this stunning debut, Máquina! scored heavily for posterity as this is the first known ROCK album to come from Spain and what an astounding one it is!!! Really these guys made one hell of rebellious record given the context in which Spain was being submitted to Franco's dictature. A stunning artwork depicting a clock rising from a croissant was clearly a call for Spanish youth to wake-up (and have a good breakfast) and get ready for a new day. Quite a revolution knowing the ultra conservateur nature of El Caudillo, even if by that time Spain was letting loose things as European tourist money was flowing in (including this writer spending a few Easter holidays as a kid around those years;-) but although the end was near, it was incredibly risky.

Stylistically, we are dealing with a psych/prog rock with extended and excellent interplay, somewhere in between live Cream (with KBs) and early Floyd or even a live Grateful Dead. The twin guitars are one of the features but one of them played bass when the bassist was busy with the flute or singing. The opening track is simply a superb atmospheric instrumental with organ-piano KB attack doubled by a superb and orgasmic guitar, a pure delight! Then comes the 25 min title track (broken over the two sides of the vinyl) with superb organs, twin guitar attack and rather enjoyable but muffled-in vocals, the whole thing going on an not too extended jam and evolving to one of the more entertaining drum solo I have ever been given to listen - maybe because it is not a pure solo as the KB outlines a few phase here and there. The second part of Why? opens the second side of the vinyl and picks up where the first part had left: a superb mostly instrumental enthusiastic prog-tinged rock jam. Quite enjoyable, especially when discovering this in 05, some 35 years after it was recorded. There are some particularly exhilarating moments in this track! The last track is yet another great tune

The two bonus tracks are the afore-mentioned single tracks and although a bit different than the album (especially in the vocal dept but the Earth's Daughter track sounds like some David Bowie spin-off), they do not interfere in the continuous ambiance of the album and they add to the album's incredibly short duration. This album is a relative minor gem for progheads but is a 24-carat nugget for the psych-jam group fans!! Impressive, although I must be careful in not over- rating it!! But I think rounding it up to the upper star is not insulting the album or the proghead.

Review by Gerinski
3 stars I must start by saying that I'm not very keen on proto-prog, and if you like this sub-genre you will most likely add one more star to my rating, perhaps even two.

I have often seen Maquina!'s Why? described as "one of the best rock albums ever made in Spain". Well, that's an opinion I certainly do not share for what concerns the quality of the music as such, but what is true is that this was an album of great historical significance, in spanish rock there would be a "before Why?" and an "after Why?".

Spain was still under the dictatorship of Franco (until late 1975) and everything which looked or sounded too modern or libertarian was censored, so all the true aspects of rock came late and watered down. Sure enough there was some late 60's beat and psychedelia, but it was a carefully sanitized version of the real thing, with all the guys / girls looking nice and tidy, the songs still kept short, not too wild and with innocuous lyrics. Maquina! from Barcelona in the region of Catalunya were the first band to portray a genuine free and hippy attitude, with really long hair, long instrumental jams and non-commercial stance (in parallel Smash would do the same in the southern region of Andalucia). They achieved this partly by singing in english and by avoiding any political connotations in their lyrics. The term Prog was not yet used and this music became known in Spain as "Underground".

The music is proto-prog, influenced by the likes of Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Brian Auger, Hendrix etc, with a trippy rhythm section filled up with fuzz guitar and Hammond.

The opener I Believe became quickly popular by its distinctive ¾ beat, still not very widespread in those times. The title track Why? accounts for nearly 25 minutes which in those times in Spain was unheard of, and it was splitted in the 2 sides of the LP, the first part of 12 min in side A being the main song theme and the 13 min in side B being mainly an instrumental jam with a reprise of the song theme in the end. Really something special for Spain in those times. The last song on the LP was Let Me Be Born, something more like a Beatles song.

In the CD edition there are 2 bonus tracks, Earth's Daughter and Look Away Our Happiness, originally released as a single in 1969, the first one very much influenced by The Beatles and the latter more similar to a Brian Auger fast-rhythm soul track.

Regarding the cover art with the clock stuck on a croissant, it has been frequently interpreted as a methapor "calling Spain to wake up from the Franco dictatorial regime" but its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained in an interview that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the clock. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Their next release "En Directo" would be quite different due to line-up changes, more jazz- rock-soul oriented and with much more brass.

In summary, recommended for fans of proto-prog or those curious for the development of prog in Spain, but far from essential in my personal book.

4 stars "Why? Máquina" is the first album of MÁQUINA!, a Catalan progressive rock's band, the first progressive band in Spain. In 1970 Franco was still in the government in Spain, so Spain was not a democratic country and it wasn't easy to make progressive rock. Máquina! didn't use the Spanish or Catal ... (read more)

Report this review (#132040) | Posted by komun | Monday, August 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MÁQUINA! "Why? Máquina! "