BEATLES FOR SALE

Buy THE BEATLES Music
Studio Album, released in 1964

1. No Reply (2:17)
2. I'm A Loser (2:33)
3. Baby's In Black (2:07)
4. Rock 'n' Roll Music (2:33)
5. I'll Follow The Sun (1:50)
6. Mr Moonlight (2:37)
7. Kansas City (2:33)
8. Eight Days A Week (2:45)
9. Words Of Love (2:14)
10. Honey Don't (2:59)
11. Don't Want To Spoil The Party (2:36)
12. What You're Doing (2:34)
13. Everybody's Tryin' To Be My Baby (2:23)

Search THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale lyrics

PMC 1240 (Mono)
PCS 3062 (Stereo)
CDP 7 46438 2 (C.D.)

Thanks to Certif1ed for the addition
and to Tuzvihar for the last updates

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale Music

BEATLES REIMAGINED / VARIOUS NEW CD US $20.11 Buy It Now 29m 39s
BEATLES 45 1969 Target 5498..Yesterday US $8.73 [0 bids]
30m 3s
BARBARA CASINI - STASERA BEATLES NEW CD US $27.42 Buy It Now 31m 20s
Ringo by Ringo Starr LP 1973 Rock Apple VG+ Beatles John Lennon Paul McCartney US $3.99 [0 bids]
31m 29s
JOHN LENNON INSTANT KARMA! Apple 1818 45 SLEEVE Beatles 1970 Solo Single US $14.99 [0 bids]
32m 12s
BEATLES - BEATLES TAPES 3 NEW CD US $20.52 Buy It Now 32m 47s
The BEATLES "SHE LOVES YOU" 45 RPM Record SWAN LABEL S-4152-S US $4.99 [0 bids]
33m 10s
Paul McCartney Back to the Egg LP '79 Columbia Rock 12" VG++ Beatles John Lennon US $5.99 [0 bids]
33m 31s
Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings Double Bill SEALED 2001 UK 2 CD Rolling Stones Beatles US $15.95 Buy It Now 34m 36s
beatles - come together / something - 45 rpm vinyl record in paper sleeve US $3.29 [10 bids]
35m 1s
Lot of 32 Rock 'n' Roll Records The Beatles, Elvis Sinatra Rolling Stones US $190.00 [0 bids]
35m 15s
THE BEATLES*REVOLUTION*1-CD*RARE GOLD EDITION 1997 VIGOTONE*NOT TARANTURA US $24.99 [0 bids]
37m 27s
(2) BEATLES VINYL LP RECORD LOT! 1962-1966 & 1967-1970 RED AND BLUE ALBUM US $16.50 [15 bids]
37m 39s
THE BEATLES // The Beatles Talk With Gerry G. Vol. 2/ ORIGINAL 1983 US LP/ Mint- US $22.98 Buy It Now 40m 39s
THE BEATLES // The Beatles / ORIGINAL 1980 Us LP/ Mint- US $33.98 Buy It Now 40m 43s
THE BEATLES // Silver Beatles / ORIGINAL 1983 US Picture Disc LP/ Mint- US $29.98 Buy It Now 40m 46s
EX/EX RARE NEW ZEALAND 2 LP Revolting THE BEATLES SAPCOR 35 Top Copy US $39.01 [11 bids]
40m 57s
BEATLES // Interviews and Press Conferences 1965-66 / ORIGINAL 1987 UK LP/ EX/M- US $29.98 Buy It Now 40m 59s
Abbey Road [LP] by Beatles (The) (Vinyl, Oct-1987, Capitol/EMI Records) US $30.00 [0 bids]
41m 6s
beatles - twist abd shout/there's a place - 45 rpm record in paper sleeve US $3.29 [11 bids]
42m 20s
BEATLES ABBEY ROAD RECORD ALBUM COVER, METAL WALL ART EX! US $9.69 Buy It Now 42m 29s
(1 BMI ) The Beatles "Meet The Beatles" Capitol T-2047 1964 Rare Original Mono US $50.00 Buy It Now 42m 45s
BEATLES RARITIES VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM! (1980) US $4.99 [0 bids]
44m 21s
the beatles cds US $59.00 [0 bids]
45m 3s
BRAND NEW REVOLVER RELOADED The Beatles Mojo CD Handsome Family Lennon US $9.00 Buy It Now 45m 22s
Anthology 1 by The Beatles (CD, 2 Discs) CPD 7243 8 34445 2 6 like new US $10.99 [0 bids]
45m 57s
* EX/NM BLUE VINYL ROCK 2 LP 1967-1970 Blue Album THE BEATLES Capitol SEBX-11843 US $27.00 [10 bids]
45m 57s
BEATLES HEY JUDE ISRAELI PORTRAIT LP NM US $50.00 Buy It Now 46m 22s
BEATLES RARITIES ISRAELI HEBREW PORTRAIT LP NM US $50.00 Buy It Now 46m 37s
Beatles/Apple Mini Pin Badge - Magical Mystery Tour Bus. US $5.96 Buy It Now 47m 48s
Beatles/Apple Mini Pin Badge - Drop T Drum Skin logo. US $5.96 Buy It Now 47m 48s
Beatles/Apple Mini Pin Badge - Sgt. Pepper logo. US $5.96 Buy It Now 47m 48s
THE BEATLES*GONE TOMORROW*1-CD*RARE GOLD EDITION 1997 VIGOTONE*NOT TARANTURA US $24.99 [0 bids]
47m 54s
JOHN ONO LENNON instant karma 45 usa APPLE RECORDS BEATLES oop L@@K US $9.99 [0 bids]
48m 1s
beatles - and I love her/if I fell - 45 rpm vinyl record in paper sleeve US $2.79 [9 bids]
48m 24s
EX/EX RARE ORIG PSYCH ROCK LP File Under: Beatles THE BEATLES 2 inserts US $15.00 [4 bids]
48m 57s
THE BEATLES OFFICIAL SET OF 15 FRIDGE MAGNETS BRAND NEW STILL IN PACKING CASE ! US $30.70 [0 bids]
50m 1s
The Beatles - Hear The Beatles Tell All SEALED Vinyl LP - Vee Jay PRO-202 - MINT US $39.95 Buy It Now 52m 39s
Radio Show: GOODTIME OLDIES! #92-19 FOUR TOPS, BEATLES, TROGGS, DOORS, WE FIVE US $19.99 Buy It Now 52m 49s
NEW The Beatles Love CD US $5.99 [0 bids]
53m 11s
MEET THE BEATLES T 2407 FAB 4 GAY PUNK HARD ROCK HIPPIE US $5.00 [1 bids]
55m 19s
beatles - hey jude / revolution - 45 rpm vinyl record in paper sleeve US $2.79 [6 bids]
55m 31s
(PARTIAL SHRINK) BEATLES ABBEY ROAD LP RECORD ALBUM! (1969) ORIGINAL APPLE US $11.27 [8 bids]
56m 20s
ELLIE POP - S/T 1968 ONLY ALBUM MICHIGAN BEATLES esque HARMONY POP ROCK PSYCH CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 56m 48s
PAUL McCARTNEY-THE BEATLES-VANILLA SKY-ORIGINAL SONG-FYC-PROMO ONLY-CD-MINT! US $34.03 Buy It Now 57m 7s
KARAOKE: BEATLES YOU SING THE HITS OF / VARIOUS NEW CD US $25.49 Buy It Now 58m 16s
beatles - help / I'm down - 45 rpm vinyl record in paper sleeve US $2.79 [9 bids]
1h
2000 THE BEATLES 1 CD WITH 27 HITS US $5.55 [0 bids]
1h
BEATLES 2 SECOND 2nd ALBUM orig Capitol T2080 US $32.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES LET IT BE VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM (1970) APPLE NICE! PHIL-RONNIE BELLSOUND US $8.99 [1 bids]
Vintage Spanish Beatles Hard Days Night Album - Odeon - MOCL 122 - Spain US $99.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
BEATLES Anthology Vol. 2 2CD Mini LP US $16.49 Buy It Now 1h 3m
The Beatles - The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl - LP (EMTV 4 Israel Pressing) US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
MARY HOPKIN - THOSE WERE THE DAYS 45! '68 folk rock HEAR Apple Beatles Byrds US $2.99 [0 bids]
MARY HOPKIN - GOODBYE PS 45! '69 folk rock HEAR Apple Beatles Byrds US $2.99 [0 bids]
Beatles Limited Edition CD rare photos & interview Vol 2 105490 US $5.50 Buy It Now 1h 8m
The Beatles, Meet The Beatles Vinyl Record LP, Rainbow Label, Stunning Copy US $8.50 [7 bids]
Beatles Promo-Only Red and Blue Sampler CD 1993 US $18.99 [0 bids]
Anthology 1 by The Beatles (CD, Nov-1995, 2 Discs, Capitol/EMI Records) sealed US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
John Lennon beatles LP Plastic Ono Band good US $7.99 [0 bids]
beatles - I want to hold your hand - 45 rpm vinyl record in paper sleeve US $2.79 [9 bids]
(BEATLES-She Loves You/I'll Get You)-PICTURE SLEEVE-K3-7 US $18.74 Buy It Now 1h 15m
?LISTEN n7765 LP / PAUL MAURIAT / NOCTURNE - 1979 JAPAN - 12tracks - Beatles US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
THE BEATLES MOVIE MEDLEY 45 JOHN LENNON HARD DAY'S NIGHT ~ TICKET TO RIDE SLEEVE US $14.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES 45 SINGLE SLEEVE GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE ~ HELTER SKELTER 4274 US $14.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES 45 SINGLE SLEEVE 2138 LADY MADONNA ~ INNER LIGHT LENNON MCCARTNEY US $14.99 [0 bids]
BILLY PRESTON-1973-Circles-45-THE BEATLES-B US $8.44 Buy It Now 1h 19m
LOS ROLIN lp POR RUMBAS argentina ID# 60780 1991-ALL BEATLES COVERS EPIC 47316 B US $19.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
The Beatles: Twist and Shout - Radio Show (1986) US $17.75 Buy It Now 1h 21m
A Day in the Life by Wes Montgomery Jazz Vinyl Smooth Beatles Lennon McCartney US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
ORIG MONO LP Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band THE BEATLES Capitol MAS 2653 US $39.00 [7 bids]
The Carefrees We Love You Beatles / Hot Blooded Lover London records 45INT 10614 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Amoeba's Secret- Paul McCartney (2007) 12" Vinyl EP original US pres US $11.50 [0 bids]
The Beatles Live on The Ed Sullivan Show Picture Disc - Feb. 9th US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE BEATLES - LIVE AT THE BBC -UK 2LP SET/MONO/GATEFOLD US $124.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
The Beatles - Rubber Soul Mono T-2442 VG/VG US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of The Beatles by Rockabye Baby! (CD,... US $2.97 [2 bids]
BEATLES she loves you - i'll get you 7"-VINYL 45rpm GERMANY rarest STEREO 1976 US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" Original 1967 LP US $50.00 [0 bids]
Radio Show: GOODTIME OLDIES! #92-21 PAUL REVERE & RAIDERS, BEATLES, CHAMPS, KNOX US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
MEET THE BEATLES ORIGINAL 1964 MONO 1st PRESS LP CAPITOL #T-2047 IAM EDITION US $49.99 [0 bids]
Paul McCartney Self Titled LP UK Pressing The Beatles Vinyl US $6.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES magical mystery tour 2 x 7"-VINYL-EP GERMANY IMPORT great STEREO US $13.99 [0 bids]
MODULOS lp MODULOS argentina ID# 26363 BEATLES COVERS YESTERDAY-HELLO GOODBYE MH US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
U900 Ukulele 2012 [4-CD + 4-DVD] Limited Box Set New The Beatles Michael Jackson US $96.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
! Beatles LP White Album CAPITOL red label w/ poster and pictures VG+/VG+ US $21.79 [4 bids]
The Beatles Abbey Road - Reel To Reel US $70.00 [0 bids]
LENA HORNE GABOR SZABO LENA & GABOR LP SKYE PSYCH POP JAZZ VOCALS BEATLES COVERS US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
THE BEATLES At The Star Club - Live! The Complete Sessions, Vol. 2 CD MINI LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
The Beatles MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR 1967 EMI 2835 33 rpm US $24.95 Buy It Now 1h 47m
The Beatles 2 LP s/t WHITE ALBUM MINT- COMPLETE COLORBAND US REMASTERED VINYL GF US $120.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
JOHN LENNON PAUL McCARTNEY LONG TALL SALLY HOUND DOG THE BEATLES 45/PS US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Beatles - Let it Be (Apple AR 34001) RED APPLE Gatefold VG+/VG US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
OLD LARGE PHOTO, THE BEATLES CONCERT, CENTENNIAL HALL 1964, ADELAIDE SA US $8.44 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Bratislavska lyra 1972-SAROLTA ZALATNAY,Meddle of the Road LP CZECH Beatles RARE US $29.99 [0 bids]
* ORIG STEREO PSYCH ROCK LP Revolver THE BEATLES Capitol ST 2576 NICE! US $13.55 [2 bids]
The Beatles BEAT CD 001 The Capitol Versions EARLY BEATLES / MEET THE BEATLES US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
18 Beatles and Beatles Solo 45rpm Vinyl Records LOOK! US $19.95 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES Live At Shea Stadium 1965 CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Rubber Soul [Digipak] by The Beatles (CD, Sep-2009, Apple Corps) Rock US $2.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(21%)

THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale reviews

Review by Guillermo
3 stars After recording a full album with all songs composed by Lennon and McCartney, the band had to record another album in 1964, to satisfy their fans and EMI. So, as they were working hard in 1964 making a film and their previous studio album, plus touring, they had again to include covers in this album. George Martin considers this album as their weakest, and I agree with him. It was an album more done "as an obligation", and it reflects in the quality.

The quality of the Lennon / McCartney songs is not at the best level. Some of the lyrics are depressing ("No Reply", I`m a Loser", and "Baby`s in Black"), sounding tired. The best of all the original compositions are the beautiful "I`ll Follow the Sun", an old song composed by McCartney in the early 60s, "Eight Days a Week", and "Every Little Thing". "I Don`t Want to Spoil the Party" and "What You`re Doing" are filler, IMO.

Some of the covers are very good, particularly "Rock and Roll Music" (Chuck Berry) and "Words of Love" (Buddy Holly).

Pop and Rock music were seeing then by record labels as passing fads, so the labes (and managers too) had to obtain from the artists the best they could to obtain more profits, IMO. So, bands like The Beatles had to record two albums per year in 1963, 1964 and 1965, apart from touring and making films. But The Beatles, year by year, became more respected and passed the test of being "only a fad". Maybe if they had recorded one album per year between 1963 and 1965, they could have rested more to record even better albums than this album. But even sounding tired, the quality of this album was still good.

The title of this album ("Beatles For Sale") is very good, reflecting with some humour how they had to work harder in order to satisfy mostly others `needs.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#75992) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 23, 2006

Review by chopper
3 stars This was a rather rushed album as everyone was desperate for more Fabs product, consequently there are rather more cover versions than normal on this album. It is an album that goes from the sublime (No Reply) to the ridiculous (Mr Moonlight) with some good songs in between. It opens with three Lennon numbers which, with hindsight, offer some evidence as to his state of mind at the time (No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black). "No Reply" is the best of these, the middle eight being one of the most exciting moments in their early career. McCartney chips in another nice number in "I'll Follow The Sun" and Lennon also contributes the hit "Eight days a week".

Of the other songs, "What You're Doing" (not the Rush song) is an obscure but good McCartney number, "Kansas City" and "Rock 'n' Roll Music" are among their best rock 'n' roll covers, "Every Little Thing" (missing from the track listing here) was covered by a certain well-known prog band and "Mr Moonlight" is so bad, with an incredibly cheesy organ solo, that it must surely have been a joke.

All in all, a good but not brilliant album but better than we had a right to expect considering the pressure they were under at the time.

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#78360) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Review by Chicapah
3 stars To imply that the band was burned out at this point is incorrect. They were in their prime and still riding the crest of popularity that had propelled them into the forefront of the world's consciousness so their energy was more than up to the challenge. What seems to be occurring on this album is the appearance of the first hints that they were ready to wander off the beaten trail with their original songs. The demand for product required that they still dip into their catalogue of covers to fill out the record so we get Beatle versions of Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and Carl Perkins but this would prove to be the last LP to do that. But there's no "She Loves You" here. For the first time we fans started to hear songs that made us cock our heads a bit. "Baby's in Black" had a strange beginning and ambience for the times, "I'll follow the sun" featured a different progression than we had come to expect from them and the odd yet fascinating drum cadence that introduced "What you're doing" showed us that things might become a little more unconventional in the recordings to follow. While admittedly not their best output of the early era, it still rocks with the exuberant joy that characterized the height of Beatlemania.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#82790) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
2 stars For the first time, we see some chinks in the armour. This is not a bad album. Had it been done by anyone else, it would probably be hailed as a classic. But, this is the Beatles, and can only be judged by what had been done up to this point.

This is a darker, more despondent bunch of loveable mop-tops. The evidence is in the first three tracks, "No Reply," I'm a Loser," and "Baby's in Black." Not exactly uplifting stuff. We are then rescued by the Chuck Berry classic, "Rock and Roll Music." Another great cover, dressed up in full Beatle regalia. "I'll Follow the Sun" is a nice, seemingly positive tune ... but wait, not really. "Mr. Moonlight" has been chosen as possibly the worst thing they ever recorded. Okay, the harmonies are rough, John strains on the lead vocal, and the organ is cheesy, but for some reason I like it. I think there is a certain campiness to it. If you see the humor, it's really not a bad tune. "Kansas City" is a great blues romp, and "Eight Days a Week" is a classic. Another great job with covering one of their heroes on Buddy Holly's "Words of Love" The standout track for me is "Every Little Thing." Great use of acoustic guitar, piano, and is that a tympani? Once again, a preview of things to come.

Even though I consider this the weakest Beatles album, I would still give it three and one half, to four stars. It is a good album. However, in the context of prog, I only give it two. This does not have enough significance, in the grand scheme of things, to warrant any more. (The Beatle freak inside me is now screaming very loudly)

H.T. Riekels

Send comments to bhikkhu (BETA) | Report this review (#83473) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Review by Cygnus X-2
2 stars Of all the Beatles albums I have (and I have them all), I consider Beatles for Sale to be the weakest of them all. You can see a band exhausted from an overload of work. After the stellar foray fo A Hard Day's Night, the Beatles went back to the studio and released this album, which is more like a return to the past albums in a way, as this album is about half original songs and half covers. Most of the original pieces are contrived and don't even come close to the quality of the songs on A Hard Day's Night, and even the covers don't match those of previous albums (except for the Chuck Berry cover in Rock 'n' Roll Music). For the most part, though, I'm not really impressed with this album, but there are a few redeeming qualities.

Instead of talking about the faults, I will talk about the songs that save this album from complete disaster. I'm a Loser is the second song on the album and it has John Lennon wailing about his troubles and he really has a convincing performance on this one. On top of that, there's an interesting minor chord progression that really helps the atmosphere. Rock 'n' Roll Music is another Chuck Berry song faithfully played by the Beatles and faithfully sung by George Harrison (or so I believe). I'll Follow the Sun is a fantastic acoustic ballad by McCartney which has a very well conceived chorus and some great guitar work throughout. Eight Days a Week was the major hit on the album and it really is one of (if not the) best songs on the album. Starting with a nice fade-in chord progression, it breaks out into a rocker with a great chorus and an awesome middle eight section. Finally, Kansas City is a nice and short medley of two songs, Kansas City and Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, faithfully played and overall very high energy. Everything else, though in my opinion, doesn't really measure up to their past works. Although the songs aren't bad, there's just no inspiration in them, in my opinion.

Overall, Beatles For Sale would ultimately be my least favorite Beatles album. Fortunately, they would improve again for their next album, Help!, which I would rate just behind A Hard Day's Night as the best Beatles album in their early days (from the debut through Help!). For progressive rock fans searching for something of interest in this record, you won't find any. It's the farthest thing from progressive rock, but still there some redeeming moments (not saying that it's a bad album because it isn't prog) and people looking into the foundations of arguably the most important rock band that ever existed will probably find something here. But for me, I was left a bit cold after listening to this album. 2/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#85230) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 31, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars SALE SALE SALE!

The Fab Four were very prolific in these days. Maybe a bit too much.

For this release, the Fab Four are playing some covers again to fill their fourth album within a twenty-two months period. The honesty is to say that this album lacks in great and unforgettable numbers. It will top the British charts and its US equivalent as well (titled "Beatles '65 and featuring a different track list).

A song like "No Reply" is in line with their good and melodic material, and "I'm A Loser" indicates a step back from their nave and gentle love songs with a more serious tone. But on the other end, there will more average work than on their previous albums like "Baby's in Black" which feature two lead singers : John and Paul singing through the same microphone to enforce this feeling.

"Mr. Moonlight" is the poorest of all IMO. A cover song which won't add anything to their credit. Just like the Buddy Holly "Words Of Love". As a curiosity for the Ringo lead vocal the next cover is a song from one of the greatest rock'n'roll song writer : Carl Perkins. This fact set aside, there is nothing really great about it (but Ringo is not really my favourite singer...).

The best cover here is "Rock'n'Roll Music". Similar to their own rock'n'roll material. It won't revolutionize this Chuck Berry song but given the average quality of the material, I consider it as one of the best track from "Beatles For Sale".

IMHHO, there are only two great songs on this album. "Eight Days A Week" which was only released as a single in the US (Nr. 1) and which was never played live and "Every Little Thing" is the second one. Although not the single example of this in their career, this Paul song features John on the lead vocals. It was considered too weak for a single and was incorporated into "For Sale". "Yes" will cover this song on their debut album and completely revisited it (like for "America").

BEATLES FOR SLAE.

Actually, it is very much the feeling here. A sale album quickly released and the weakest of all their work. Not a second of prog to be found of course.

Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#155478) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars Looking back the way The Beatles released albums in their career, I can relate well with The Flower Kings - one of the prog rock bands that truly very productive in music making. I might say that the spirit of The Beatles has inspired The Flower Kings to be much more productive with releasing new albums. Almost every year The Flower Kings release a new one. As far as The Beatles, this fourth album strengthened the band's position in the world's pop music industry. This one continued the success of the third album "A Hard day's Night" in terms of music style as well as lyrics and production. Through this album, The Beatles confirmed that they are the world's barometer of rock music during that time. Their three predecessors had successfully anchored their name into a high-regarded pop rock band and this album made their position even better.

The opening track "No Reply" (2:17) is excellent being put at the opening track as this has a good composition, followed with another good song "I'm A Loser" (2:33). "Rock 'n' Roll Music" (2:33) is an upbeat music in rock'n'roll style and it clearly depicts the title of the song. This has become a trademark of The beatles music. "I'll Follow The Sun" (1:50) is a simple song which has powerful lyrics and nice singing style. "Mr Moonlight" (2:37) is my personal favorite plus "Eight days a Week".

It's another good album by The Beatles.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#156991) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2007

Review by Atkingani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars This album was issued here in Brazil with the adventurous title of Beatles 65 and contained the same track listing of the original Beatles For Sale with the exception of 'Baby's in black', later issued as a single. As noticed the release took place in 1965, showing a gap of some months in relation to UK releases that I think it was more in accordance with the North American ordering.

With an audience apparently avid for new band's works then why not mix old material with some newer? The genius behind this idea gave us the more uneven of the Beatles albums and consequently the weaker too. 'Kansas City' and 'Mr. Moonlight' do not combine with 'No reply' and 'I'm a loser' - in fact these last two are my preferred songs here, the latter bearing odd lyrics when compared with their actual stuff, but in the end representing timidly the dawn of a new era for the band's lyrical approach.

Exceptuating the mentioned 'I'm a loser' and 'No reply' and the fair cover of Berry's 'Rock and roll music' there aren't other songs able to really grab the hearer's focus unless you're in a birthday party or something like it. So, with more than 40 years having passed by and showing nothing truly exceptional, Beatles For Sale stands as a release for collectors/fans only.

Send comments to Atkingani (BETA) | Report this review (#169201) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Review by J-Man
2 stars This where I really wish The Beatles would have continued what they were doing on A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. Sure, that album's just regular early 60's rock music, but it contains very fine songwriting, and yes, there are no covers of lousy songs. BEATLES FOR SALE acts like that album never happened, and goes back to mediocre songwriting and cover songs (although ROCK N' ROLL MUSIC came out pretty good). You can see some progress, as some songs like I'LL FOLLOW THE SUN have wonderful melodies, which are better at times than A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. Luckily, after this they released their first superb album, RUBBER SOUL, but this is not The Beatles finest moment. Buy it if you're a collector or an early Beatle fan, but everyone else should pass this one by.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#192176) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 07, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Beatles for Sale is the fourth full-length studio album by British pop/ rock act The Beatles. Its also the fourth studio album by The Beatles in just two years and the tired look on the faces of the band on the album cover artwork, which depicts the band wearing black clothes and looking serious, was probably due to an extensive and exhausting workload which in addition to writing and recording music also included countless live shows and TV appearances as well as numourous interviews. Sometimes The Beatles played two shows at night. This was not considered unusual at the time but try and get modern artists to do the same. They would be complaining like hell.

The music on Beatles for Sale is probably as a consequence of the little time the band had to write music again a mix of own compositions and cover songs like on the two first albums by the band ( which was not the case on the previous album A Hard Days Night (1964), where all compositions were written by the band). This also leads to a slight decline in quality compared to A Hard Days Night but the quality is generally very high. The vocal harmonies are beautiful and theres a new folk influence in some songs on the album. Im beginning to hear signs of what was to come on later releases. Eight Days a Week was the single release from the album and the most known song and its a classic IMO but I also enjoy songs like I'm a Loser and Baby's in Black. There are a few misses along the way but its been like that on all previous releases too so no surprises there.

The musicianship and production values are at a good level.

Beatles for Sale is a good album by The Beatles and a 3 star rating in my book but its first from here on that the output of the band began to be really interesting IMO.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#216718) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Another rushed affair with some success

"The kids of year 2000 will draw from the music much the same sense of well-being and warmth as we do today." -Derek Taylor, 1964

Taylor was right. Every year new kids discover the Beatles and take them to heart, perhaps with less fervor than the Beatlemania crowd, but nonetheless. When I discovered them it mattered not that they were some "old 60s" band and the reason for that was magical songwriting. People can say what they want about the "simple pop" of The Beatles but the gift of being able to pen a good tune and have the talent to deliver it is what makes these recordings so special. As I said previously, to me hearing the early stuff again is almost revolutionary in a sense, something I always took for granted and finally took the time and patience to hear.

"Beatles for Sale" is not their finest hour and yet it is here where you can begin to hear the seeds of "A Hard Day's Night" taking root. There is just a bit more worldliness to some of the moods and lyrics, just a hint of what was around the corner. Released on December 4th 1964, "Beatles for Sale" capped off the most amazing year in pop history, yet still it was not their peak. It was another rushed affair recorded in just seven days of studio time a few months after Hard Days, in the midst of their crushing schedule. Nevertheless, the gems are there. "No Reply" and "I'm a Loser" start the album very strongly with two solid Lennon vocals setting a more somber mood than much of Hard Days Night. Then he's barking away to Berry's "Rock and Roll Music" and the delightful "Mr. Moonlight." I'm surprised that weird little track gets so much grief from people, it's one of the highlights to me. A playful vocal by John backed up by Paul on the Hammond organ of all things and George on African drums; it reminds me of "Stand By Me" from a decade later. Paul has the typically pretty "I'll Follow the Sun" while "Eight Days a Week" was another huge hit. Proggers will be very interested to hear the original version of "Every Little Thing," the track recorded by Yes a few years later on their debut album. As you'd guess the original is a much more stripped down affair but still a pleasing number. Some of the others are a bit underwhelming but I believe "Beatles for Sale" eeks out a 3 even if a less enthusiastic one than "A Hard Day's Night." Certainly not essential but one that Beatles fans will want to hear eventually, perhaps after most of the others.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#244685) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars An album that filled in a Sunday afternoon but has enough treasures to earn 3 stars. Nothing like its predecessor A Hard days Night but still has merit. Best tracks are No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, Rock 'n' Roll Music, I'll Follow The Sun, Eight Days A Week, and Don't Want To Spoil The Party. These are fantastic beatles tracks with awesome melodies and harmonies. However the album has some real trashy songs that never saw the light of day outside this album, namely Mr Moonlight, Honey Don't, What You're Doing and Everybody's Tryin' To Be My Baby. The rock feel is very dated on these and Kansas City is only bearable as it kind of has a nostalgic feel. Words Of Love has wonderful harmonies but is ultimately repetitious and Honey Don't is Ringo at his worst. Oh well, it's The Beatles isn't it?

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#398963) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 12, 2011

Review by baz91
2 stars In the 18 months before this album was released, The Beatles had recorded and released three albums, seven singles, starred in a feature film, and done a world tour. So when The Beatles were asked to write another album to cash in on the Christmas charts of 1964, it's unsurprising that this was really not their best work. Unusually for a pop album, many of the songs on this album are depressing ballads about love not working, eg No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, Honey Don't, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party and What You're Doing. They don't even look that happy on the album cover! Surprisingly, this album was the first of theirs to be released in a gatefold sleeve - very prog indeed. However, the title 'Beatles For Sale' doesn't exactly sound magical does it.

The Beatles wanted to drop their cover songs and just produce their own material, a tactic which had made 'A Hard Day's Night' so successful. However, with hardly any time to write songs, they resorted to playing more covers on this album, and in some cases they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel. The highlights of this album are I'm A Loser and of course Eight Days A Week. There are also a few lesser gems, like No Reply, and of course Every Little Thing which, as most of you will probably know, was covered by Yes on their debut album. Most of the songs are quite forgettable though, and some of them are actually annoying! Words Of Love features incessant handclapping for the entire song, which is a bad song anyway! With Honey Don't you feel like telling Ringo to shut up! Mr Moonlight immediately grabs your interest with John's striking voice, only to lose it again when the song actually starts!

I have to admit, this is The Beatles' worst album. It's worth mentioning that the single I Feel Fine was released around the same time as this album, which features incredibly unusual but very well executed feedback in the intro. The deliberate use of feedback is very progressive, and it's unfortunate that they decided not to include it on the album. If you like collecting The Beatles' albums, make sure you get this one last.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#438407) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 24, 2011

Review by Warthur
2 stars The cover songs make an unwelcome return this time, as the Beatles were in the awkward position of being big enough for there to be a huge demand for their work, but not quite potent enough to dictate the terms they recorded under. Once again, the cover versions are idle throwbacks to the 50s rock and roll which inspired the band early on, but the original material - with more acoustic elements, more downbeat vocals, and a bit of Dylan and other non-rock influences creeping in - made it clear that the Beatles were getting less and less interested in retracing their steps in that direction yet again.

Of the original material, No Reply is a strong opener with lyrics that take a creepy, almost stalkerish bent, I'll Follow the Sun and Mr Moonlight's folkish music and proto-hippy lyrics are the strongest clue yet to the band's eventual embrace of the psychedelic movement - and check out the organ work in Mr Moonlight! That said, some of the Lennon/McCartney compositions on offer are clearly throwaways - Eight Days a Week is pleasant enough but pretty forgettable, all considered.

Had the entire album consisted of original material of the standard of No Reply or I'll Follow the Sun, I'd have rated it a bit higher, but as it is there's just too much filler for me to completely embrace it.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#444405) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 08, 2011

Review by thehallway
3 stars This is the only album in which The Beatles take a backwards step rather than a forward one, but who can blame them after so much endless producing, touring and film-making. You can see how tired the band are on the cover. Beatles For Sale is similar to the first two albums, containing eight originals and six rock and roll covers, while A Hard Day's Night was almost completely written by Lennon. But if I had written over 30 songs in two years, I would be equally creatively drained!

'No Reply' is a good, ballsy opener, but the lyrics seem rushed, while on both 'I'm a Loser' and 'I Don't Wanna Spoil The Party', Lennon wears his Bob Dylan influence on his sleeve. McCartney's obligatory ballad, 'I'll Follow The Sun', is decent enough, but very short. His other songs 'Eight Days A Week', 'Every Little Thing' and particularly 'What You're Doing', are highlights of the album. 'Every Little Thing' would be covered by Yes on their debut, and sadly for Paul, their version is better. Of the covers, 'Honey Don't' and 'Rock 'n' Roll Music' are pretty good, but I'm also relieved to know that this is the last time we see Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins on a Beatles record. The rest of this album that I haven't mentioned, is pretty derivative and unmemorable.

What more is there to say? Two albums of this formula was clearly enough, and the band and their fans would both agree on this. The record company wanted another LP though, and this is alluded to in the album's ironic title. Four or five songs here are absolute classics, and because the lacklustre nature of Beatles For Sale isn't really the fault of the boys themselves, I'm going to give it a nice three stars.

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#510277) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 27, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Beatles For Sale' - The Beatles (5/10)

The Beatles' fourth album is a relatively uneven piece of work. After the fairly good 'A Hard Day's Night', it seems like the Beatles regressed a step or two, resulting in an album that has more in common with their first two works than anything else. All the same, there are a few great Beatles songs here, and the band's skill with vocal harmonies was really coming onto its own.

The big song on 'Beatles For Sale' that most will have already heard is 'Eight Days A Week', with which the band scored a hit. It is far from being my favourite Beatles track, but it is upbeat, melodic, and concise; all things I associate with the former half of the band's career. In terms of highlights to this album, 'I'm A Loser' is a very nice, brooding tune that exudes a sincere feeling to it. While the album doesn't generally feel like the band was moving forward, 'I'll Follow The Sun' is a lilting Paul-driven acoustic that sounds like it could fit the next couple of albums the band would release. Besides that, 'Beatles For Sale' is a fairly rocky venture, with inconsistency being the word to describe both the songwriting, and production. It feels as if the album was recorded in several different places, at different times. Even the style floats between the old American-style R&B and a more distinctive pop sound for the band. Naturally, the more modern sounding tracks are far superior to the rather formulaic and shallow rock n' roll material, a style that The Beatles had already exploited to death. Drawing the comparison with earlier Beatles albums, there are also covers here, with the Chuck Berry track 'Rock n' Roll Music' being the most memorable.

The most impressive thing about The Beatles on this album are their vocal harmonies, which have improved greatly in the few years since they started out. Here, the vocals are lush and make the melodies much more vibrant. There aren't many frills to this album, but while simple, it is very pleasant in parts, although it lacks consistency and cohesiveness as an album. Some excellent Beatles tunes here, but it feels more like a b-sides compilation than a legitimate album.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#557569) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 26, 2011

1 stars What seemed like a promising album in A Hard Day's Night is partially ruined by this mess. Their style and sound is still the same, but then again, considering its only been two years since their debut, it's really hard to fault them on that. Unfortunately, at least for this album, they are back to ... (read more)

Report this review (#771425) | Posted by Mr. Mustard | Friday, June 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Rating: 6.5/10 The most traditional album in Beatles' career. They center mostly on rockabilly and old-school rock genres with many covers (really a good spot for Harrison' guitar performance) and attempts to recreate that old-school taste by themselves. It is clear that even with a non br ... (read more)

Report this review (#458478) | Posted by Mattiias | Thursday, June 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars All of The Beatles' albums were at least good. In the early days, they had to come up with two albums a year. You won't find any other band who could 'churn out' something of this quality after having already written one album of completely original material in the same year (whilst on the road! ... (read more)

Report this review (#437941) | Posted by Frankie Flowers | Saturday, April 23, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars 'Beatles for sale' is meant to be the worst Beatles album. I can understand, I mean some of the songs feel tired and the like. But it is no worse than 'With the Beatles' and rates well alongside 'A Hard days night'; not quite as good. Anyway it is a decent album, not bad, three stars, actually ... (read more)

Report this review (#329507) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, November 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Beatles For Sale could have been a classic album if the decision making was better. I would have added "I Feel Fine", "She" A Woman" and "Leave My Kitten Alone" to replace some of the covers on the album. I feel this album could have challenged the previous album of "A Hard Day's Night" ... (read more)

Report this review (#253806) | Posted by Floydman | Tuesday, December 01, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After A Hard Day's Night, The Beatles gave a step back with this Beatles for Sale, returning to cover songs and limiting their own contribution to only eight tracks. Two of these versions, nevertheless, are quite remarkable ones.The extensive use of Hammond on Mr. Moonlight and its weird solo m ... (read more)

Report this review (#250429) | Posted by bfmuller | Friday, November 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Charming stuff. First of all; please ignore the two stars I have given this album. Qualitywise, it is two stars. When it comes to joyful and charming, add a couple of more stars. This album is not the best The Beatles has ever done. It is pretty substandard, in fact. The rock'n'roll covers ... (read more)

Report this review (#236311) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, September 01, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You got me cryin'... This album I see as one of the absolute low points in the career of the fab four. Filled with sparse pop number after sparse pop number. The lyrics? abysmal. The compositions? plain and simple. Some of the melodies downright offended me. they are very simple, very poorly ... (read more)

Report this review (#211664) | Posted by Alitare | Saturday, April 18, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This album is quite enjoyable, but it's not SO good for my taste. It's got a few shining moments and a few songs are cool. The Chuck Berry track Rock and roll music is the highlight. There are some good Lennon/McCartney songs like "I'm a Looser" and "Eight Days a week". This album is not prog, ... (read more)

Report this review (#72737) | Posted by | Thursday, March 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Released the same year as A Hard Day's Night, this one seems to be the weaker of the two. Rock'n'roll were still a big influence and I don't think the musical mixtures comes together as well as on A.H.D.N. Let's face it, there are a few quite weak songs here. The album cover is a classic thou ... (read more)

Report this review (#70229) | Posted by 1971 | Wednesday, February 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE BEATLES "Beatles For Sale"