BEATLES FOR SALE

Buy THE BEATLES Music
Studio Album, released in 1964

1. No Reply (2:17)
2. I'm A Loser (2:33)
3. Baby's In Black (2:07)
4. Rock 'n' Roll Music (2:33)
5. I'll Follow The Sun (1:50)
6. Mr Moonlight (2:37)
7. Kansas City (2:33)
8. Eight Days A Week (2:45)
9. Words Of Love (2:14)
10. Honey Don't (2:59)
11. Don't Want To Spoil The Party (2:36)
12. What You're Doing (2:34)
13. Everybody's Tryin' To Be My Baby (2:23)

Search THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale lyrics

PMC 1240 (Mono)
PCS 3062 (Stereo)
CDP 7 46438 2 (C.D.)

Thanks to Certif1ed for the addition
and to Tuzvihar for the last updates

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale Music

THE BEATLES "Beatles for Sale" Apple Records TOJP-60184 Japan Obi LP USD $45.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES 'Beatles For Sale' Gatefold Stereo Remastered 180g Vinyl LP NEW USD $30.39 Buy It Now 3h 2m
The Beatles "Beatles For Sale" 1995 Mono Capitol Records-Gold Promo Stamp USD $24.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES for sale NO 2 EP made in Australia rare EP USD $25.00 [0 bids]
Beatles For Sale, The Beatles, 0094638241423 USD $20.33 Buy It Now 5h 37m
The Beatles Beatles For Sale USA Cassette XDR Tape Parlophone C4J-46438 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 3m
THE BEATLES - BEATLES FOR SALE-MONO USD $7.29 Buy It Now 8h 11m
the beatles beatles for sale original 1964 uk parlophone vinyl lp pmc 1240 USD $53.09 Buy It Now 10h 57m
The Beatles - For Sale - CD Album - CD and Art Clock - A Special Gift Idea USD $29.20 Buy It Now 11h 31m
BEATLES Beatles for sale Euro LP USD $34.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
BEATLES Not for sale LP Green wax USD $51.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
THE BEATLES - Beatles For Sale / Cassette Album Tape / Early Paperlabel / 4260 USD $11.94 Buy It Now 13h 17m
THE BEATLES beatles for sale 1A 062-04200 dutch parlophone LP PS VG+/VG USD $22.76 Buy It Now 13h 38m
The Beatles Beatles for sale VINYL LP Japan Obi NMint USD $74.00 Buy It Now 13h 42m
THE BEATLES CONCERTO 7" VINYL SINGLE **MINT** not for sale RARE factory sampl USD $7.30 Buy It Now 13h 50m
BEATLES "For Sale" Japan -Import " Obi/Audiophile Japanese Vinyl Lp Meet/ USD $49.99 Buy It Now 14h 3m
THE BEATLES cassette tape BEATLES FOR SALE USD $9.28 Buy It Now 14h 10m
THE BEATLES "BEATLES FOR SALE (REMASTER)" LTD. EDITION USD $23.33 Buy It Now 14h 59m
Beatles for Sale from mono box set USD $8.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES - FOR SALE - UK MONO LP PMC1240 - 3N/3N - SALE PRICE USD $6.57 [0 bids]
Beatles for Sale [Digipak] by The Beatles (CD, Sep-2009, Apple Corps) USD $19.76 Buy It Now 16h 7m
THE BEATLES FOR SALE ORIG 1ST ISSUE UK MONO Y&B PARLOPHONE LP FREE UK POST (Nr2) USD $53.11 Buy It Now 16h 23m
159g RARE 1st Press Beatles For Sale S.African PMCJ 1240 Vinyl LP USD $59.75 [0 bids]
BEATLES FOR SALE APPLE AP-8442 Japanese Pressing OBI Vinyl LP USD $23.50 [9 bids]
BEATLES FOR SALE APPLE AP-8442 Japanese Pressing RED Vinyl Vinyl LP USD $11.61 [4 bids]
The Beatles: Official Apple Beatles For Sale London Taxi - New & Sealed In Pack USD $23.23 Buy It Now 18h 56m
THE BEATLES 2 LP ON 1 CD + BONUS TRACKS BEATLES FOR SALE + RUBBER SOUL N/M RARE USD $15.33 [0 bids]
USD $23.01 Buy It Now
19h
THE BEATLES - BEATLES FOR SALE - CASSETTE TAPE USD $6.63 [0 bids]
BEATLES - FOR SALE - SEALED NEW - TOCP-51114 USD $45.40 Buy It Now 19h 22m
THE BEATLES - BEATLES FOR SALE - CASSETTE TAPE UK USD $6.63 [0 bids]
Beatles,Beatles For Sale - No Reply & I'm A Loser,(GEP 8931),7" USD $13.26 Buy It Now 19h 34m
THE BEATLES - BEATLES FOR SALE - CASSETTE TAPE (Gold Insert) USD $7.95 [0 bids]
The Beatles For Sale Rare 1964 1st UK 3N/3N Matrix Y&B Parlophone PMC 1240 USD $8.62 [0 bids]
Beatles For Sale LP Parlophone # CLJ-46438 Digitally Remastered Factory Sealed USD $18.88 [0 bids]
UK IMPORT BEATLES EP w/PICTURE SLEEVE - PARLOPHONE 8931 - "BEATLES FOR SALE" USD $10.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles for Sale Mono Red Vinyl-JAPAN Apple Records#EAS-70133 w lyrics sheet USD $195.00 Buy It Now 21h
NEW Beatles for Sale (Audio CD) USD $22.00 Buy It Now 21h 8m
The Beatles ?- Beatles For Sale - Cassette USD $1.31 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES - BEATLES FOR SALE - VINYL LP RECORD USD $7.95 [0 bids]
BEATLES for sale NORWAY 1964 LILAC old style label in MONO rare USD $295.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES / FOR SALE / GREAT BRITAIN IMPORT / PARLOPHONE USD $10.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES" FOR SALE" EMI ODEON 1C 062-04 200 LP VINYL 12" 33 RPM German Import USD $73.79 Buy It Now 21h 46m
PCS 3062 The Beatles Beatles for Sale 1st UK STEREO Parlophone LP Y USD $331.93 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES " BEATLES FOR SALE " PMC 1240 "Sold In UK..." KT Tax Code - EX/NM USD $27.87 [2 bids]
THE BEATLES - For Sale - 1964 - CD - 1998 release - LIKE NEW USD $4.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES - For Sale - 1964 - DIGIPAK edition CD - VERY RARE !!! USD $19.99 [0 bids]
'Beatles Not for sale' one Side is Mono-GERMANY-NEMS Records #MOP 910 Fan-Club USD $100.00 Buy It Now 23h 23m
THE BEATLES FOR SALE STEREO FIRST PRESS 1964 UK VINYL LP PCS 3062 PARLOPHONE 1A! USD $79.66 Buy It Now 23h 30m
Beatles - For Sale WEST GERMANY pressing PARLOPHONE USD $10.00 Buy It Now 23h 32m
BEATLES FOR SALE + WITH THE BEATLES + RUBBER SOUL (3 CD Lot) FAST/FREE PRIORITY USD $31.75 Buy It Now 23h 52m
BEATLES Japan EAS-50034 STEREO LP FOR SALE USD $35.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rare LP The Beatles - Not For Sale - NEMS MOP 910 NM ORIG Not TMOQ USD $19.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL YELLOW /BLACK ISSUE MONO 1964 BEATLES FOR SALE KT TAX CODE USD $33.18 [0 bids]
The Beatles - Beatles For Sale 45 EP Parlophone GEP 8931 - Mono Picture Sleeve USD $9.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES 'Beatles For Sale' Parlophone/EMI Remastered 180G Sealed Vinyl LP USD $23.90 Buy It Now 1 day
BEATLES for sale - BUTTON BADGE official merchandise - lennon & mccartney USD $2.64 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES MONO FIRST ISSUE 1964 BEATLES FOR SALE KT TAX BRILLIANT PLAYBACK USD $37.16 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES FIRST ISSUE MONO MT TAX CODE 1964 BEATLES FOR SALE PLAYS BRILLIANTLY USD $37.16 [0 bids]
Beatles - Beatles For Sale LP Near Mint! - 1987 MONO / Parlophone CLJ-46438 USD $18.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES LOT IMPORTS For Sale FOR SALE NM!, RUBBER SOUL PCSO Australia LOW PRICE USD $19.00 [1 bids]
BEATLES Beatles for Sale PMC1240 LP Ev2482 USD $8.50 [2 bids]
The Beatles Beatles For Sale Parlophone Records CLJ-46438 Sealed Unopened USD $49.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES FOR SALE ULTRA RARE ORIGINAL AUSTRALIAN UNIQUE COVER CASSETTE USD $11.39 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES "Beatles For Sale" EX/NM 1970 JAPAN 3rd PRESSING w/JAPAN ONLY JACKET USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
the beatles beatles for sale mint USD $29.64 Buy It Now 1 day
The Beatles - Beatles for Sale (2009) CD NEW MINT SEALED USD $19.85 Buy It Now 1 day
BEATLES MONO JAPAN OBI 4 LP SET - FOR SALE HARDDAYS WITH BEATLES PLEASE ME USD $254.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Beatles Analogue OZ Reissue LP Beatles for sale NM 70's Beat Rock Pop Parlophone USD $18.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Beatles Analogue US Reissue LP Beatles for sale NM 70's Beat Rock MONO Capitol  USD $25.04 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES FOR SALE ISRAEL 1st PRESS YELLOW STEREO PARLOPHONE LP USD $99.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES for sale VINYL rarest GERMANY IMPORT greatest shape 1C062-04200 nice USD $19.99 [0 bids]
USD $27.99 Buy It Now
THE BEATLES FOR SALE APPLE RECORD ALBUM LP JAPAN USD $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BEATLES LP COVERS Beatles For Sale/SGT Pepper (ideal for replacing USD $15.92 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES " BEATLES FOR SALE" PARLOPHONE LABEL CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES BEATLES FOR SALE GATEFOLD 12" LP 1964 USD $1.59 [2 bids]
THE BEATLES RARITIES 1979 AUSTRALIAN MINT FACTORY SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE USD $46.46 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES. "BEATLES FOR SALE" (1981 reissue) LP. G/F EX COND. USD $33.19 Buy It Now 1 day
the beatles beatles for sale USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES: For Sale AUSTRALIA Parlaphone / EMI Vinyl lp SEALED 80s Rare! USD $75.00 Buy It Now 1 day
the beatles,for sale album USD $5.16 [3 bids]
THE BEATLES, FOR SALE, 1964, (THIS IS A LATER ISSUE), VG+ CONDITION USD $14.59 [0 bids]
The Beatles BEATLES FOR SALE Mono 180g REMASTERED New Sealed Vinyl LP USD $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES - Beatles For Sale - UK LP - Parlophone - PCS 3062 - 1984 USD $22.49 Buy It Now 1 day
MINT/M- BEATLES PAUL MCCARTNEY Promo NOT FOR SALE LP~PRESS to PLAY~~HEAR USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Beatles LP For Sale SEALED LIMITED EDITION MONO USD $75.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES: For Sale UK MONO GEP 8931 Parlophone 7" EP 45 NEAR MINT! USD $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BEATLES Japan 1992 TOJP-7074 MINT UNPLAYED LP+Obi FOR SALE USD $90.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BEATLES beatles for sale Japan MINI LP SHM-CD USD $35.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES-BEATLES FOR SALE-1964-CANADA-EMI/CAPITOL RECORDS C2 46438-CD-NEW- USD $16.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES-BEATLES FOR SALE-1964-WEST GERMANY-CD-MINT- USD $16.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES BEATLES FOR SALE AP8442 LP EV8339 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
"BEATLES For Sale" by The Beatles. 1995 Sealed Vinyl Record Lp USD $30.79 [0 bids]
BEATLES - For Sale + Beatles 1 + GEORGE HARRISON Brainwashed MINT 3 CD USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RARE FRENCH SP THE BEATLES APPLE FOR YOU BLUE MINT WITH TAG SALE!!! USD $44.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Beatles For Sale Germany (SIS) Top Copy USD $9.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES For Sale LP Gatefold Parlophone 180 G Reissue NICE! Lennon Harrison USD $19.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL MONO FROM 1964 BEATLES FOR SALE 4th OFFICIAL ALBUM GENUINE USD $30.52 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES FOR SALE UK LP 1987 PRESSING RENTING LABELS NEAR MINT USD $39.82 Buy It Now 2 days
Beatles For Sale 14 Song Parlophone Capitol/EMI Cd USD $3.26 [9 bids]
BEATLES -12 inch LP - BEATLES FOR SALE, 180g,Re-Issue,2009 USD $33.19 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale reviews

Review by Guillermo
3 stars After recording a full album with all songs composed by Lennon and McCartney, the band had to record another album in 1964, to satisfy their fans and EMI. So, as they were working hard in 1964 making a film and their previous studio album, plus touring, they had again to include covers in this album. George Martin considers this album as their weakest, and I agree with him. It was an album more done "as an obligation", and it reflects in the quality.

The quality of the Lennon / McCartney songs is not at the best level. Some of the lyrics are depressing ("No Reply", I`m a Loser", and "Baby`s in Black"), sounding tired. The best of all the original compositions are the beautiful "I`ll Follow the Sun", an old song composed by McCartney in the early 60s, "Eight Days a Week", and "Every Little Thing". "I Don`t Want to Spoil the Party" and "What You`re Doing" are filler, IMO.

Some of the covers are very good, particularly "Rock and Roll Music" (Chuck Berry) and "Words of Love" (Buddy Holly).

Pop and Rock music were seeing then by record labels as passing fads, so the labes (and managers too) had to obtain from the artists the best they could to obtain more profits, IMO. So, bands like The Beatles had to record two albums per year in 1963, 1964 and 1965, apart from touring and making films. But The Beatles, year by year, became more respected and passed the test of being "only a fad". Maybe if they had recorded one album per year between 1963 and 1965, they could have rested more to record even better albums than this album. But even sounding tired, the quality of this album was still good.

The title of this album ("Beatles For Sale") is very good, reflecting with some humour how they had to work harder in order to satisfy mostly others `needs.

Review by chopper
3 stars This was a rather rushed album as everyone was desperate for more Fabs product, consequently there are rather more cover versions than normal on this album. It is an album that goes from the sublime (No Reply) to the ridiculous (Mr Moonlight) with some good songs in between. It opens with three Lennon numbers which, with hindsight, offer some evidence as to his state of mind at the time (No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black). "No Reply" is the best of these, the middle eight being one of the most exciting moments in their early career. McCartney chips in another nice number in "I'll Follow The Sun" and Lennon also contributes the hit "Eight days a week".

Of the other songs, "What You're Doing" (not the Rush song) is an obscure but good McCartney number, "Kansas City" and "Rock 'n' Roll Music" are among their best rock 'n' roll covers, "Every Little Thing" (missing from the track listing here) was covered by a certain well-known prog band and "Mr Moonlight" is so bad, with an incredibly cheesy organ solo, that it must surely have been a joke.

All in all, a good but not brilliant album but better than we had a right to expect considering the pressure they were under at the time.

Review by Chicapah
3 stars To imply that the band was burned out at this point is incorrect. They were in their prime and still riding the crest of popularity that had propelled them into the forefront of the world's consciousness so their energy was more than up to the challenge. What seems to be occurring on this album is the appearance of the first hints that they were ready to wander off the beaten trail with their original songs. The demand for product required that they still dip into their catalogue of covers to fill out the record so we get Beatle versions of Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and Carl Perkins but this would prove to be the last LP to do that. But there's no "She Loves You" here. For the first time we fans started to hear songs that made us cock our heads a bit. "Baby's in Black" had a strange beginning and ambience for the times, "I'll follow the sun" featured a different progression than we had come to expect from them and the odd yet fascinating drum cadence that introduced "What you're doing" showed us that things might become a little more unconventional in the recordings to follow. While admittedly not their best output of the early era, it still rocks with the exuberant joy that characterized the height of Beatlemania.
Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
2 stars For the first time, we see some chinks in the armour. This is not a bad album. Had it been done by anyone else, it would probably be hailed as a classic. But, this is the Beatles, and can only be judged by what had been done up to this point.

This is a darker, more despondent bunch of loveable mop-tops. The evidence is in the first three tracks, "No Reply," I'm a Loser," and "Baby's in Black." Not exactly uplifting stuff. We are then rescued by the Chuck Berry classic, "Rock and Roll Music." Another great cover, dressed up in full Beatle regalia. "I'll Follow the Sun" is a nice, seemingly positive tune ... but wait, not really. "Mr. Moonlight" has been chosen as possibly the worst thing they ever recorded. Okay, the harmonies are rough, John strains on the lead vocal, and the organ is cheesy, but for some reason I like it. I think there is a certain campiness to it. If you see the humor, it's really not a bad tune. "Kansas City" is a great blues romp, and "Eight Days a Week" is a classic. Another great job with covering one of their heroes on Buddy Holly's "Words of Love" The standout track for me is "Every Little Thing." Great use of acoustic guitar, piano, and is that a tympani? Once again, a preview of things to come.

Even though I consider this the weakest Beatles album, I would still give it three and one half, to four stars. It is a good album. However, in the context of prog, I only give it two. This does not have enough significance, in the grand scheme of things, to warrant any more. (The Beatle freak inside me is now screaming very loudly)

H.T. Riekels

Review by Cygnus X-2
2 stars Of all the Beatles albums I have (and I have them all), I consider Beatles for Sale to be the weakest of them all. You can see a band exhausted from an overload of work. After the stellar foray fo A Hard Day's Night, the Beatles went back to the studio and released this album, which is more like a return to the past albums in a way, as this album is about half original songs and half covers. Most of the original pieces are contrived and don't even come close to the quality of the songs on A Hard Day's Night, and even the covers don't match those of previous albums (except for the Chuck Berry cover in Rock 'n' Roll Music). For the most part, though, I'm not really impressed with this album, but there are a few redeeming qualities.

Instead of talking about the faults, I will talk about the songs that save this album from complete disaster. I'm a Loser is the second song on the album and it has John Lennon wailing about his troubles and he really has a convincing performance on this one. On top of that, there's an interesting minor chord progression that really helps the atmosphere. Rock 'n' Roll Music is another Chuck Berry song faithfully played by the Beatles and faithfully sung by George Harrison (or so I believe). I'll Follow the Sun is a fantastic acoustic ballad by McCartney which has a very well conceived chorus and some great guitar work throughout. Eight Days a Week was the major hit on the album and it really is one of (if not the) best songs on the album. Starting with a nice fade-in chord progression, it breaks out into a rocker with a great chorus and an awesome middle eight section. Finally, Kansas City is a nice and short medley of two songs, Kansas City and Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, faithfully played and overall very high energy. Everything else, though in my opinion, doesn't really measure up to their past works. Although the songs aren't bad, there's just no inspiration in them, in my opinion.

Overall, Beatles For Sale would ultimately be my least favorite Beatles album. Fortunately, they would improve again for their next album, Help!, which I would rate just behind A Hard Day's Night as the best Beatles album in their early days (from the debut through Help!). For progressive rock fans searching for something of interest in this record, you won't find any. It's the farthest thing from progressive rock, but still there some redeeming moments (not saying that it's a bad album because it isn't prog) and people looking into the foundations of arguably the most important rock band that ever existed will probably find something here. But for me, I was left a bit cold after listening to this album. 2/5.

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars SALE SALE SALE!

The Fab Four were very prolific in these days. Maybe a bit too much.

For this release, the Fab Four are playing some covers again to fill their fourth album within a twenty-two months period. The honesty is to say that this album lacks in great and unforgettable numbers. It will top the British charts and its US equivalent as well (titled "Beatles '65 and featuring a different track list).

A song like "No Reply" is in line with their good and melodic material, and "I'm A Loser" indicates a step back from their naïve and gentle love songs with a more serious tone. But on the other end, there will more average work than on their previous albums like "Baby's in Black" which feature two lead singers : John and Paul singing through the same microphone to enforce this feeling.

"Mr. Moonlight" is the poorest of all IMO. A cover song which won't add anything to their credit. Just like the Buddy Holly "Words Of Love". As a curiosity for the Ringo lead vocal the next cover is a song from one of the greatest rock'n'roll song writer : Carl Perkins. This fact set aside, there is nothing really great about it (but Ringo is not really my favourite singer...).

The best cover here is "Rock'n'Roll Music". Similar to their own rock'n'roll material. It won't revolutionize this Chuck Berry song but given the average quality of the material, I consider it as one of the best track from "Beatles For Sale".

IMHHO, there are only two great songs on this album. "Eight Days A Week" which was only released as a single in the US (Nr. 1) and which was never played live and "Every Little Thing" is the second one. Although not the single example of this in their career, this Paul song features John on the lead vocals. It was considered too weak for a single and was incorporated into "For Sale". "Yes" will cover this song on their debut album and completely revisited it (like for "America").

BEATLES FOR SLAE.

Actually, it is very much the feeling here. A sale album quickly released and the weakest of all their work. Not a second of prog to be found of course.

Two stars.

Review by Gatot
3 stars Looking back the way The Beatles released albums in their career, I can relate well with The Flower Kings - one of the prog rock bands that truly very productive in music making. I might say that the spirit of The Beatles has inspired The Flower Kings to be much more productive with releasing new albums. Almost every year The Flower Kings release a new one. As far as The Beatles, this fourth album strengthened the band's position in the world's pop music industry. This one continued the success of the third album "A Hard day's Night" in terms of music style as well as lyrics and production. Through this album, The Beatles confirmed that they are the world's barometer of rock music during that time. Their three predecessors had successfully anchored their name into a high-regarded pop rock band and this album made their position even better.

The opening track "No Reply" (2:17) is excellent being put at the opening track as this has a good composition, followed with another good song "I'm A Loser" (2:33). "Rock 'n' Roll Music" (2:33) is an upbeat music in rock'n'roll style and it clearly depicts the title of the song. This has become a trademark of The beatles music. "I'll Follow The Sun" (1:50) is a simple song which has powerful lyrics and nice singing style. "Mr Moonlight" (2:37) is my personal favorite plus "Eight days a Week".

It's another good album by The Beatles.

Review by Atkingani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars This album was issued here in Brazil with the adventurous title of Beatles 65 and contained the same track listing of the original Beatles For Sale with the exception of 'Baby's in black', later issued as a single. As noticed the release took place in 1965, showing a gap of some months in relation to UK releases that I think it was more in accordance with the North American ordering.

With an audience apparently avid for new band's works then why not mix old material with some newer? The genius behind this idea gave us the more uneven of the Beatles albums and consequently the weaker too. 'Kansas City' and 'Mr. Moonlight' do not combine with 'No reply' and 'I'm a loser' - in fact these last two are my preferred songs here, the latter bearing odd lyrics when compared with their actual stuff, but in the end representing timidly the dawn of a new era for the band's lyrical approach.

Exceptuating the mentioned 'I'm a loser' and 'No reply' and the fair cover of Berry's 'Rock and roll music' there aren't other songs able to really grab the hearer's focus unless you're in a birthday party or something like it. So, with more than 40 years having passed by and showing nothing truly exceptional, Beatles For Sale stands as a release for collectors/fans only.

Review by J-Man
2 stars This where I really wish The Beatles would have continued what they were doing on A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. Sure, that album's just regular early 60's rock music, but it contains very fine songwriting, and yes, there are no covers of lousy songs. BEATLES FOR SALE acts like that album never happened, and goes back to mediocre songwriting and cover songs (although ROCK N' ROLL MUSIC came out pretty good). You can see some progress, as some songs like I'LL FOLLOW THE SUN have wonderful melodies, which are better at times than A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. Luckily, after this they released their first superb album, RUBBER SOUL, but this is not The Beatles finest moment. Buy it if you're a collector or an early Beatle fan, but everyone else should pass this one by.
Review by UMUR
3 stars Beatles for Sale is the fourth full-length studio album by British pop/ rock act The Beatles. It´s also the fourth studio album by The Beatles in just two years and the tired look on the faces of the band on the album cover artwork, which depicts the band wearing black clothes and looking serious, was probably due to an extensive and exhausting workload which in addition to writing and recording music also included countless live shows and TV appearances as well as numourous interviews. Sometimes The Beatles played two shows at night. This was not considered unusual at the time but try and get modern artists to do the same. They would be complaining like hell.

The music on Beatles for Sale is probably as a consequence of the little time the band had to write music again a mix of own compositions and cover songs like on the two first albums by the band ( which was not the case on the previous album A Hard Day´s Night (1964), where all compositions were written by the band). This also leads to a slight decline in quality compared to A Hard Day´s Night but the quality is generally very high. The vocal harmonies are beautiful and there´s a new folk influence in some songs on the album. I´m beginning to hear signs of what was to come on later releases. Eight Days a Week was the single release from the album and the most known song and it´s a classic IMO but I also enjoy songs like I'm a Loser and Baby's in Black. There are a few misses along the way but it´s been like that on all previous releases too so no surprises there.

The musicianship and production values are at a good level.

Beatles for Sale is a good album by The Beatles and a 3 star rating in my book but it´s first from here on that the output of the band began to be really interesting IMO.

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Another rushed affair with some success

"The kids of year 2000 will draw from the music much the same sense of well-being and warmth as we do today." -Derek Taylor, 1964

Taylor was right. Every year new kids discover the Beatles and take them to heart, perhaps with less fervor than the Beatlemania crowd, but nonetheless. When I discovered them it mattered not that they were some "old 60s" band and the reason for that was magical songwriting. People can say what they want about the "simple pop" of The Beatles but the gift of being able to pen a good tune and have the talent to deliver it is what makes these recordings so special. As I said previously, to me hearing the early stuff again is almost revolutionary in a sense, something I always took for granted and finally took the time and patience to hear.

"Beatles for Sale" is not their finest hour and yet it is here where you can begin to hear the seeds of "A Hard Day's Night" taking root. There is just a bit more worldliness to some of the moods and lyrics, just a hint of what was around the corner. Released on December 4th 1964, "Beatles for Sale" capped off the most amazing year in pop history, yet still it was not their peak. It was another rushed affair recorded in just seven days of studio time a few months after Hard Days, in the midst of their crushing schedule. Nevertheless, the gems are there. "No Reply" and "I'm a Loser" start the album very strongly with two solid Lennon vocals setting a more somber mood than much of Hard Days Night. Then he's barking away to Berry's "Rock and Roll Music" and the delightful "Mr. Moonlight." I'm surprised that weird little track gets so much grief from people, it's one of the highlights to me. A playful vocal by John backed up by Paul on the Hammond organ of all things and George on African drums; it reminds me of "Stand By Me" from a decade later. Paul has the typically pretty "I'll Follow the Sun" while "Eight Days a Week" was another huge hit. Proggers will be very interested to hear the original version of "Every Little Thing," the track recorded by Yes a few years later on their debut album. As you'd guess the original is a much more stripped down affair but still a pleasing number. Some of the others are a bit underwhelming but I believe "Beatles for Sale" eeks out a 3 even if a less enthusiastic one than "A Hard Day's Night." Certainly not essential but one that Beatles fans will want to hear eventually, perhaps after most of the others.

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars An album that filled in a Sunday afternoon but has enough treasures to earn 3 stars. Nothing like its predecessor A Hard days Night but still has merit. Best tracks are No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, Rock 'n' Roll Music, I'll Follow The Sun, Eight Days A Week, and Don't Want To Spoil The Party. These are fantastic beatles tracks with awesome melodies and harmonies. However the album has some real trashy songs that never saw the light of day outside this album, namely Mr Moonlight, Honey Don't, What You're Doing and Everybody's Tryin' To Be My Baby. The rock feel is very dated on these and Kansas City is only bearable as it kind of has a nostalgic feel. Words Of Love has wonderful harmonies but is ultimately repetitious and Honey Don't is Ringo at his worst. Oh well, it's The Beatles isn't it?
Review by baz91
2 stars In the 18 months before this album was released, The Beatles had recorded and released three albums, seven singles, starred in a feature film, and done a world tour. So when The Beatles were asked to write another album to cash in on the Christmas charts of 1964, it's unsurprising that this was really not their best work. Unusually for a pop album, many of the songs on this album are depressing ballads about love not working, eg No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, Honey Don't, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party and What You're Doing. They don't even look that happy on the album cover! Surprisingly, this album was the first of theirs to be released in a gatefold sleeve - very prog indeed. However, the title 'Beatles For Sale' doesn't exactly sound magical does it.

The Beatles wanted to drop their cover songs and just produce their own material, a tactic which had made 'A Hard Day's Night' so successful. However, with hardly any time to write songs, they resorted to playing more covers on this album, and in some cases they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel. The highlights of this album are I'm A Loser and of course Eight Days A Week. There are also a few lesser gems, like No Reply, and of course Every Little Thing which, as most of you will probably know, was covered by Yes on their debut album. Most of the songs are quite forgettable though, and some of them are actually annoying! Words Of Love features incessant handclapping for the entire song, which is a bad song anyway! With Honey Don't you feel like telling Ringo to shut up! Mr Moonlight immediately grabs your interest with John's striking voice, only to lose it again when the song actually starts!

I have to admit, this is The Beatles' worst album. It's worth mentioning that the single I Feel Fine was released around the same time as this album, which features incredibly unusual but very well executed feedback in the intro. The deliberate use of feedback is very progressive, and it's unfortunate that they decided not to include it on the album. If you like collecting The Beatles' albums, make sure you get this one last.

Review by Warthur
2 stars The cover songs make an unwelcome return this time, as the Beatles were in the awkward position of being big enough for there to be a huge demand for their work, but not quite potent enough to dictate the terms they recorded under. Once again, the cover versions are idle throwbacks to the 50s rock and roll which inspired the band early on, but the original material - with more acoustic elements, more downbeat vocals, and a bit of Dylan and other non-rock influences creeping in - made it clear that the Beatles were getting less and less interested in retracing their steps in that direction yet again.

Of the original material, No Reply is a strong opener with lyrics that take a creepy, almost stalkerish bent, I'll Follow the Sun and Mr Moonlight's folkish music and proto-hippy lyrics are the strongest clue yet to the band's eventual embrace of the psychedelic movement - and check out the organ work in Mr Moonlight! That said, some of the Lennon/McCartney compositions on offer are clearly throwaways - Eight Days a Week is pleasant enough but pretty forgettable, all considered.

Had the entire album consisted of original material of the standard of No Reply or I'll Follow the Sun, I'd have rated it a bit higher, but as it is there's just too much filler for me to completely embrace it.

Review by thehallway
3 stars This is the only album in which The Beatles take a backwards step rather than a forward one, but who can blame them after so much endless producing, touring and film-making. You can see how tired the band are on the cover. Beatles For Sale is similar to the first two albums, containing eight originals and six rock and roll covers, while A Hard Day's Night was almost completely written by Lennon. But if I had written over 30 songs in two years, I would be equally creatively drained!

'No Reply' is a good, ballsy opener, but the lyrics seem rushed, while on both 'I'm a Loser' and 'I Don't Wanna Spoil The Party', Lennon wears his Bob Dylan influence on his sleeve. McCartney's obligatory ballad, 'I'll Follow The Sun', is decent enough, but very short. His other songs 'Eight Days A Week', 'Every Little Thing' and particularly 'What You're Doing', are highlights of the album. 'Every Little Thing' would be covered by Yes on their debut, and sadly for Paul, their version is better. Of the covers, 'Honey Don't' and 'Rock 'n' Roll Music' are pretty good, but I'm also relieved to know that this is the last time we see Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins on a Beatles record. The rest of this album that I haven't mentioned, is pretty derivative and unmemorable.

What more is there to say? Two albums of this formula was clearly enough, and the band and their fans would both agree on this. The record company wanted another LP though, and this is alluded to in the album's ironic title. Four or five songs here are absolute classics, and because the lacklustre nature of Beatles For Sale isn't really the fault of the boys themselves, I'm going to give it a nice three stars.

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Beatles For Sale' - The Beatles (5/10)

The Beatles' fourth album is a relatively uneven piece of work. After the fairly good 'A Hard Day's Night', it seems like the Beatles regressed a step or two, resulting in an album that has more in common with their first two works than anything else. All the same, there are a few great Beatles songs here, and the band's skill with vocal harmonies was really coming onto its own.

The big song on 'Beatles For Sale' that most will have already heard is 'Eight Days A Week', with which the band scored a hit. It is far from being my favourite Beatles track, but it is upbeat, melodic, and concise; all things I associate with the former half of the band's career. In terms of highlights to this album, 'I'm A Loser' is a very nice, brooding tune that exudes a sincere feeling to it. While the album doesn't generally feel like the band was moving forward, 'I'll Follow The Sun' is a lilting Paul-driven acoustic that sounds like it could fit the next couple of albums the band would release. Besides that, 'Beatles For Sale' is a fairly rocky venture, with inconsistency being the word to describe both the songwriting, and production. It feels as if the album was recorded in several different places, at different times. Even the style floats between the old American-style R&B and a more distinctive pop sound for the band. Naturally, the more modern sounding tracks are far superior to the rather formulaic and shallow rock n' roll material, a style that The Beatles had already exploited to death. Drawing the comparison with earlier Beatles albums, there are also covers here, with the Chuck Berry track 'Rock n' Roll Music' being the most memorable.

The most impressive thing about The Beatles on this album are their vocal harmonies, which have improved greatly in the few years since they started out. Here, the vocals are lush and make the melodies much more vibrant. There aren't many frills to this album, but while simple, it is very pleasant in parts, although it lacks consistency and cohesiveness as an album. Some excellent Beatles tunes here, but it feels more like a b-sides compilation than a legitimate album.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team
2 stars THE BEATLES were the hottest act in musical history at this point and Beatlemania was showing no signs of cooling off any time soon. Like many early 60s releases FOR SALE was the title for the UK release not seeing a US release until 1987 (but the US would see a slightly reworked version called BEATLES 65.) This was the point when the band was a victim of its own success. The constant touring and release of a new album every six months depleted the band's original songs and because of record company pressure the Fab Four were pretty much forced to cough up another album right after "Hard Day's Night." With very little original material to supply the band reverted back to covering 50s songs only unlike those on the first couple of albums, most of these tracks seem stale and like a retrograde instead of an energized attempt at refreshing their sound.

Personally I find this the weakest album in the entire BEATLES discography. It just feels forced. There are a few tracks like "No Reply" that are up to snuff, but even the single "Eight Days A Week" is one of my least favorite BEATLES hits. The covers are fairly boring and overall this album just feels unnecessary. There are some firsts in the BEATLES evolutionary path here. The band had their only cover song hit #1 in Australia with Chuck Berry's "Rock And Roll Music" and John Lennon was incorporating personal experience as the basis for songwriting as heard in "I'm A Loser" showing his influence from hanging out with Bob Dylan. This album isn't a total waste of time but it's nevertheless the one that I find myself rarely wanting to put on. Luckily things would only get better from here. 2.5 rounded down

1 stars What seemed like a promising album in A Hard Day's Night is partially ruined by this mess. Their style and sound is still the same, but then again, considering its only been two years since their debut, it's really hard to fault them on that. Unfortunately, at least for this album, they are back to ... (read more)

Report this review (#771425) | Posted by Mr. Mustard | Friday, June 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Rating: 6.5/10 The most traditional album in Beatles' career. They center mostly on rockabilly and old-school rock genres with many covers (really a good spot for Harrison' guitar performance) and attempts to recreate that old-school taste by themselves. It is clear that even with a non br ... (read more)

Report this review (#458478) | Posted by Mattiias | Thursday, June 9, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars All of The Beatles' albums were at least good. In the early days, they had to come up with two albums a year. You won't find any other band who could 'churn out' something of this quality after having already written one album of completely original material in the same year (whilst on the road! ... (read more)

Report this review (#437941) | Posted by Frankie Flowers | Saturday, April 23, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars 'Beatles for sale' is meant to be the worst Beatles album. I can understand, I mean some of the songs feel tired and the like. But it is no worse than 'With the Beatles' and rates well alongside 'A Hard days night'; not quite as good. Anyway it is a decent album, not bad, three stars, actually ... (read more)

Report this review (#329507) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, November 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Beatles For Sale could have been a classic album if the decision making was better. I would have added "I Feel Fine", "She" A Woman" and "Leave My Kitten Alone" to replace some of the covers on the album. I feel this album could have challenged the previous album of "A Hard Day's Night" ... (read more)

Report this review (#253806) | Posted by Floydman | Tuesday, December 1, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After A Hard Day's Night, The Beatles gave a step back with this Beatles for Sale, returning to cover songs and limiting their own contribution to only eight tracks. Two of these versions, nevertheless, are quite remarkable ones.The extensive use of Hammond on Mr. Moonlight and its weird solo m ... (read more)

Report this review (#250429) | Posted by bfmuller | Friday, November 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Charming stuff. First of all; please ignore the two stars I have given this album. Qualitywise, it is two stars. When it comes to joyful and charming, add a couple of more stars. This album is not the best The Beatles has ever done. It is pretty substandard, in fact. The rock'n'roll covers ... (read more)

Report this review (#236311) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, September 1, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You got me cryin'... This album I see as one of the absolute low points in the career of the fab four. Filled with sparse pop number after sparse pop number. The lyrics? abysmal. The compositions? plain and simple. Some of the melodies downright offended me. they are very simple, very poorly ... (read more)

Report this review (#211664) | Posted by Alitare | Saturday, April 18, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This album is quite enjoyable, but it's not SO good for my taste. It's got a few shining moments and a few songs are cool. The Chuck Berry track Rock and roll music is the highlight. There are some good Lennon/McCartney songs like "I'm a Looser" and "Eight Days a week". This album is not prog, ... (read more)

Report this review (#72737) | Posted by | Thursday, March 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Released the same year as A Hard Day's Night, this one seems to be the weaker of the two. Rock'n'roll were still a big influence and I don't think the musical mixtures comes together as well as on A.H.D.N. Let's face it, there are a few quite weak songs here. The album cover is a classic thou ... (read more)

Report this review (#70229) | Posted by 1971 | Wednesday, February 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE BEATLES "Beatles For Sale"

Other sites in the MAC network: JazzMusicArchives.com — jazz music reviews and archives | MetalMusicArchives.com — metal music revuew and archives