THE BEATLES '1'

Boxset/Compilation, released in 2000

1. Love Me Do (2:21)
2. From Me To You (1:56)
3. She Loves You (2:21)
4. I Want To Hold Your Hand (2:25)
5. Can't Buy Me Love (2:12)
6. A Hard Day's Night (2:33)
7. I Feel Fine (2:18)
8. Eight Days A Week (2:44)
9. Ticket To Ride (3:11)
10. Help! (2:19)
11. Yesterday (2:05)
12. Day Tripper (2:48)
13. We Can Work It Out (2:15)
14. Paperback Writer (2:18)
15. Yellow Submarine (2:38)
16. Eleanor Rigby (2:07)
17. Penny Lane (3:00)
18. All You Need Is Love (3:47)
19. Hello, Goodbye (3:27)
20. Lady Madonna (2:17)
21. Hey Jude (7:04)
22. Get Back (3:12)
23. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (2:59)
24. Something (3:01)
25. Come Together (4:19)
26. Let It Be (3:51)
27. The Long And Winding Road (3:38)

Search THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' lyrics

Search THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' tabs

- John Lennon / guitars, vocals
- Paul McCartney / bass, vocals
- George Harrison / guitars, vocals
- Ringo Starr / drums, vocals

CD Apple Corps 5299702 (2000)

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' Music

Abbey RoadAbbey Road
Remastered
EMI 2012
Vinyl$17.19
THE BEATLES: SOMETHING NEW - ORIGINAL USA STEREO LP US $149.38 [0 bids]
29m 52s
The Beatles "Yesterday and Today" Capitol rainbow label Lp ST-2553 EUC US $12.12 [0 bids]
30m 24s
NEW The Beatles Yesterday and TODAY Butcher Cover 12" PICTURE DISC LP 11 Tracks US $27.99 [0 bids]
31m 26s
********ORIGINAL 1963 UK BEATLES FROM ME TO YOU/THANK YOU GIRL PARLO 45!******** US $11.99 Buy It Now 32m 25s
The Beatles LP Record Album 1970 John Lennon George Harrison Ringo Paul Mcartney US $59.99 Buy It Now 33m 5s
THE BEATLES - THE DECCAGONE SESSIONS PICTURE DISC 2 SEASIDE SHOTS - RARE ISSUE US $34.99 Buy It Now 33m 14s
THE BEATLES - SWEET APPLE TRAX 1 RARE PICTURE DISC - Ltd 1000 Copies - SEALED! US $99.99 Buy It Now 33m 14s
THE BEATLES - SWEET APPLE TRAX 2 - PICTURE DISC -VERY LIMITED EDITION - SEALED! US $99.99 Buy It Now 33m 14s
THE BEATLES - IN ITALY - PICTURE DISC - VERY RARE ISSUE -PMCQ31505 - SEALED! US $59.99 Buy It Now 33m 14s
Anthology 1 by The Beatles (CD, Nov-1995, 2 Discs, Capitol/EMI Records) US $13.99 Buy It Now 33m 38s
BEATLES "RARE" BOOK AND VINYL 45 COMBO ! JOHN LENNON & BILLY J. KRAMER ! US $4.99 [0 bids]
35m 58s
Fab Beatles Tour Poster (Signed) US $9.96 [0 bids]
35m 58s
JOHN PIZZARELLI ? MEETS THE BEATLES CD US $11.00 Buy It Now 36m 22s
BEATLES Timeless Pic Disc LP Silhouette Music SM 10004 US 1981 NM- US $27.99 Buy It Now 36m 23s
Beatles - From Me To You 7" Picture Disc US $25.00 Buy It Now 36m 29s
MARY HOPKIN ~ TURN TURN TURN beatles APPLE 45 NM- SLEEVE US $9.77 Buy It Now 37m 17s
ARTHUR CONLEY ~ OB-LA-DI beatles 45 NM- ATCO ~ OTIS SLEEPS ON rare! US $9.77 Buy It Now 37m 22s
The Beatles Sgt Pepper Signed & No. Typography Wall Art Print Song Lyrics Poster US $8.29 [0 bids]
37m 59s
Beatles - Love Me Do 7" Picture Disc US $25.00 Buy It Now 39m 14s
RECORD MAIL Dec 1963 The Beatles Christmas Cover! Freddie and the Dreamers US $49.81 Buy It Now 40m 37s
RARE JAPAN BEATLES CD BOX. Another Beatles Story Japan only 60 tracks US $19.99 Buy It Now 41m 8s
Two Iconic Beatles 12" LP Vinyl Records, The Second Album And White Album US $34.99 [0 bids]
41m 51s
BEATLES "RARE" BOOK & RECORD COMBO ! GEORGE HARRISON & JOHN LENNON ! US $4.99 [0 bids]
41m 59s
The Beatles Anna +3 Japanese 7" vinyl EP US $30.00 Buy It Now 43m 18s
BEATLES - LOVE SONGS - CAPITOL SKBL-11711 - 2 LP SET - NEVER PLAYED US $25.00 Buy It Now 43m 30s
THE BEATLES "HARD DAY'S NIGHT"mono PMC 1230..MATRIX 3N 3N VG/CON US $11.61 [0 bids]
43m 37s
THE BEATLES - "WITH THE BEATLES" LP Parlophone PCs 3045 stereo US $11.61 [0 bids]
43m 37s
Beatles - Please Please Me 7" Picture Disc US $15.00 Buy It Now 43m 44s
The Beatles Mr. Moonlight/What You're Doing Near Mint Japan only 7" vinyl single US $29.99 Buy It Now 43m 54s
The Beatles Got to Get You Into My Life/Helter Skelter Japan 7" vinyl single US $15.99 Buy It Now 44m 8s
The Beatles I Don't Want to Spoil the Party Japan only 7" vinyl single US $25.00 Buy It Now 44m 16s
INTRODUCING ... THE BEATLES RECORD PRICE GUIDE - NOW DISCOUNTED $10 US $29.00 Buy It Now 44m 26s
The Beatles From Me to You/I Saw Her Standing There Japan-onl vinyl 7" single US $29.99 Buy It Now 44m 32s
Marching With The Beatles / Band Of The Irish Guard LP TOWER RECORD/ VG+ VINYL US $5.99 [0 bids]
44m 34s
RINGO LP RECORD ORIGINAL BEATLES DRUMMER SEVENTIES CLASSIC LP ALBUM US $6.63 [0 bids]
46m 13s
BEATLES "RARE" BOOK & RECORD COMBO ! THE BEATLES & JOHN LENNON ! US $21.50 [7 bids]
46m 48s
Beatles - Yellow Submarine/ Eleanor Rigby 7" Picture Disc US $50.00 Buy It Now 47m 47s
Mono Box Set by The Beatles (CD, Sep-2009, 13 Discs, Capitol) - LIKE NEW US $99.99 [1 bids]
48m 3s
THE BEATLES OFFICIAL BASEBALLS YELLOW SUBMARINE SUBAFILMS SEALED + STANDS MINT ! US $83.02 [0 bids]
49m 34s
Let It Be Beatles Album, Stereo US $140.00 Buy It Now 51m 4s
THE BEATLES MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR LP APPLE VG+++ US $19.99 Buy It Now 51m 6s
BEATLES "SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND/ CAPITAL MAS 2653 LP US $149.00 [0 bids]
51m 25s
"Hear the Beatles Tell All," LP Record, VEE-JAY RECORDS, Live Interviews US $19.00 Buy It Now 51m 37s
Beatles - Parlophone SMMT 1 - Magical Mystery Tour 2 rec EP w/ pic cover US $36.65 [4 bids]
51m 38s
TONY SHERIDAN The Beatles AUTOGRAPHED SIGNED Hamburg rare out of print CD COVER US $79.00 [0 bids]
51m 52s
TONY SHERIDAN BEATLES AUTOGRAPHED Hamburg out of print 2 full Albums on 1 disc US $79.00 [0 bids]
52m 12s
BEATLES-HARD DAYS NIGHT-JAPAN DIGI PACK CD F56 US $29.50 Buy It Now 52m 36s
THE BEATLES " A HARD DAYS NIGHT" "TELL ME WHY" " AND I LOVE HER " 45 RPM Record US $21.95 Buy It Now 52m 42s
BEATLES "RARE" BOOK & RECORD COMBO ! THE BEATLES & BEATLEMANIA HEADLINE ! US $4.99 [1 bids]
52m 58s
BEATLES Let It Be LP Apple AR 34001 US 1970 Gatefold US $33.99 Buy It Now 53m 5s
`Noir Paranoic` THE BEATLES Art Print Typography Song Lyrics Signed Wall Poster US $8.29 [0 bids]
53m 23s
TONY SHERIDAN BEATLES CD AUTOGRAPHED Hamburg 2 full Albums on 1 disc, re-release US $79.00 [0 bids]
53m 35s
The Beatles - Rarities LP 12" SHAL-12060 US $4.09 [5 bids]
53m 56s
THE BEATLES FAN CLUB STAMPS RARE SET OF 42 1964 MINT LIMITED EDITION LENNON US $332.13 [0 bids]
54m 17s
Beatles In Italy, PMCQ-31506, Israel cover, Same label on both sides! VG+/VG US $29.99 [0 bids]
54m 37s
THE BEATLES " Reel music " Lp Ex Peru. US $79.00 Buy It Now 55m 26s
THE BEATLES " ¡Yeah, yeah, yeah, Paul, John, George y Ringo! " Peru Lp Ex US $79.00 Buy It Now 55m 26s
Music of the Beatles: Here Comes the Sun by NatureQuest; Instrumental New CD US $3.95 [0 bids]
55m 41s
The Beatles new What a Shame Mary Jane had a pain at the party rare Stereo 45 US $30.00 [0 bids]
57m
The BEATLES - Let It Be (1970 Original Vinyl LP) APPLE AR-34001 US $29.99 Buy It Now 57m 59s
The Beatles Abbey Road - Vinyl Record LP EMI No Barcode Lennon McCartney SJ-383 US $9.99 [1 bids]
58m 34s
VG+ Beatles Revolver ST 2576 Stereo No Subsidiary Color Band A-17 LP + 66 Inner US $40.49 Buy It Now 58m 42s
BEATLES "RARE" BOOK & RECORD COMBO ! THE BEATLES & GEORGE HARRISON ! US $4.99 [0 bids]
58m 58s
The Beatles Help! LP sealed 180 gm vinyl RE reissue US $25.98 Buy It Now 59m 25s
Meet the Beatles (the U.S. Album) US $0.99 [1 bids]
1h
THE BEATLES - WHITE ALBUM Capital Records 1983 - VG/NM - POSTERS US $14.99 [0 bids]
1h
BEATLES LET IT BE... NAKED 2 CD JEWEL CASE - Perfect Condition US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Beatles - 1st Live Recordings Volume 1 LP 12" SPC-3661 US $1.94 [2 bids]
BEATLES "RARE" BOOK & RECORD COMBO ! THE BEATLES & RINGO STARR-RED VINYL ! US $6.50 [2 bids]
The Beatles - Yesterday And Today LP 12" ST 2553 US $5.50 [8 bids]
THE BEATLES Sgt Peppers Lonely vinyl LP Capitol Records Rainbow EX mono US $335.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
`Zephyr` THE BEATLES Art Print Typography Album Song Lyrics Signed Wall Poster US $8.29 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES WHITE ALBUM U.K. RARE RECORD NO.0564373 WITH POSTER US $99.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES COLLECTION OF ( 3 ) OF THERE TOP HITS US $2.29 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES Past Masters Volume Two CD 1988 VG US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THEN AND NOW - AUSTRALIA SALUTES THE BEATLES - VARIOUS ARTISTS 2 CD SET US $11.22 [1 bids]
BEATLES "RARE" BOOK & RECORD COMBO ! THE BEATLES & JOHN LENNON -CLEAR VINYL ! US $5.99 [1 bids]
Beatles Collection of Beatles Oldies But Goldies German release Beatles vinyl! US $33.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Lot of 18 Beatles Rock Vinyl LP Records Starter Collection US $42.00 [6 bids]
Beatles Eight Days A Week / Don't Want To Spoil The Party 45 Picture Sleeve US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Beatles White Album 2 CD set 1988 Capitol /Parlophone US $8.95 [1 bids]
BEATLES RED US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
BEATLES St. Peppers Lonely Club Band MONO MAS2653 Capitol VG+ Badge Insert US $129.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night. rare 8 track tape, tested US $10.50 [5 bids]
Apple Records Beatles 2764 Let It Be & You Know My Name picture sleeve & record US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
BEATLES "RARE" BOOK & RECORD COMBO ! RINGO STARR & YOKO ONO PROMO ! US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE PERSUASIONS: SING THE BEATLES; 2002 CHESKY 220 LIKE NEW CD; A CAPPELLA SONGS US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL BEATLEMANIA EMIROBER SET OF FOUR FIGURES GEORGE's PACK MINT US $24.89 [0 bids]
****1st PRESS '64 UK BEATLES I FEEL FINE/SHE'S A WOMAN PARLOPHONE 45/sleeve!**** US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
SEALED ! LIMITED #The beatles white album c1-46443 US $65.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Beatles 45 "LOVE ME DO" Tollie T-9008 Yellow Label Black Print - GORGEOUS! US $63.20 Buy It Now 1h 17m
CLASSIC ROCK LOT OF 5 VINYL RECORDS -1970s Beatles Stones Traffic Ringo Clapton US $8.38 [3 bids]
Good Night Good Morning: Impressions of Beatles Music, Night on Earth, Very Good US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 20m
1967-1970 by The Beatles :The Blue Album (CD,Oct-1993,2 Discs,Capitol) US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
John Lennon, 'Stand By Me/Move Over Ms. L' Apple Label Single, The Beatles US $7.79 Buy It Now 1h 21m
9 Beatles 45s incl. "Ticket To Ride" Marked "Eight Arms To Hold You" US $10.01 [2 bids]
GEORGE HARRISON beatles THIS SONG 45 PROMO on DARK HORSE ~ RARE ~ HEAR US $9.77 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Beatles 45 "LOVE ME DO" Tollie T-9008 Yellow Label Black Print Thin Lettering US $63.20 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Beatles Magical Mystery Tour Record LP Album Vinyl (65) Very Clean!! US $26.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(28%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' reviews

Review by chopper
4 stars An excellent compilation, bringing together all the Beatles' number ones from the UK and the US. Unfortunately, the vagaries of the early UK charts and the differences in the two countries mean we get "Love Me Do" (which only reached 17 in the UK) and we don't get "Please please me". The biggest injustice in the history of the singles chart also means we don't get "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "Penny Lane" (the greatest single of all time) as the 2 songs were counted separately and so it was beaten to the top by Englebert Humperdinck's "Please release me".

That aside, this features 27 songs which nearly everyone will know and so is a required purchase for those of you who don't already have all the other albums.

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#70308) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 23, 2006

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is, maybe, the "essential compilation" of The Beatles `songs, as it has some of their most famous songs. I recommend it specially for new listeners of their music, as a starting point before listening to their other albums.

This album also has all the songs remastered, so the sound of this album is very good, despite having the three first songs in Mono. The booklet also has very good notes about the recording dates and release dates of each song as singles.

This album is also important because the songs are in chronological order, showing the evolution of the sound of the band between 1962 and 1970.

It also was, and maybe still is, the best, or one of the best selling albums of all times.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#78955) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 21, 2006

Review by Australian
3 stars My god this album brings back so many memories. I remember when I was younger I used to listen to this album non stop all day; it was probably my first real musical interest. This led me to discover Bob Dylan which led to greater things. This album has influenced the way I play guitar more than another as my uncle is a hardcore fan of The Beatles and ever since I started playing guitar my uncle has taught me to play almost all of the songs here as well as other blues songs. If you only ever get one Beatles album, and your looking for something good then I'd recommend this album, all the hits are there. From a progressive out look 1 excludes some of the more progressive Beatles song however. I find the way all 26 songs can fit on one disc very attracting, this is a very easy album to find and enjoy. I've been listening to 1 from the day it came out apparently and it has made a giant impression on me.The problem is that most of the stuff on this album isn't really progressive as far as The Beatles go, so a healthy 3 stars is in order here.

Send comments to Australian (BETA) | Report this review (#87628) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 18, 2006

Review by clarke2001
4 stars An excellent Beatles' compilation.

This one contains 27 songs, all of them were hits and all of them are very well known. There is not much material of interest for a progressive rock fan, simply because it's impossible to make a perfect compilation to please everybody's taste - and this one is somewhat thin on the prog side - there is no "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" or "I'm The Walrus" included.

However, all of these songs are good old rock staples - and we all know them very well. From that point of view, this is a good value for a newcomer in the world of THE BEATLES or good rock music in general.

Perhaps the best thing about the compilation is its educational value - and this is not to be overlooked by anyone who is interested in development of prog rock and rock music in general. Why an educational value? Well, listening to this album fro the first track to the very last I realised one crucial thing: the evolving, or progress, if you like it. Track listing is a perfect example of gradation between radio friendly simple rock 'n' roll hits to sophisticated psychedelia. Basically, you are listening one band evolving. This one will help you understand why some things happened in music history. Perhaps that was not the intention of compilation-makers, but it happened anyway, the tracks are sorted more or less chronologically.

It's only a pity that editors didn't took one step further and included a few highlights from the band's catalogue. However, this CD is worth having.

Four stars because of good music AND its educational value.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#104689) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Review by Chris H
4 stars This is the ultimate in Beatles compilations. Virtually every single one of the Beatles' #1 hits are included on this compilation, and for the first time in my life I think I have found a compilation that doesn't do a terrible job arranging the songs. Each song is placed in order of when it hit #1, and that creates a nice "trip through the decades" feel, while making it easier to pick out when they changed their sounds and why. Every Beatles fan should have this in their collection, and even if you aren't a Beatles fan (yet!), there is still something here for everyone. Some good rock (Get Back, Come Together, Paperback Writer), nice ballads (The Ballad of John and Yoko, We Can Work It Out), and those numerous classic Beatles hits (A Hard Day's Night, Day Tripper, Yellow Submarine).

The only gripe I have with this album, however, is the fact that due to dissimilarities between the US and UK charting processes, we miss out on the UK number one hit Please Please Me and the US number one hit Strawberry Fields Forever. Without those two songs, it cannot be a true #1 hits collection, although this certainly does come close. An excellent collection, highly recommended to anybody, fan or not.

Send comments to Chris H (BETA) | Report this review (#109237) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 28, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I purchased this CD when it was released, and I am now one out of twenty millions by now to own this compilation.

It became their fifteenth Nr. 1 album in the UK. But this album broke lots of records.

It is a great collection of their best known songs and should please anyone who is willing to have these songs on one CD only. The promoter of the idea for this record must have been happy to see that the whole of these songs (twenty-seven) was clocking at seventy-nine minutes. Just the CD capacity.

Otherwise, they should have deleted one song. But which one since it is supposed to fit all their Nr. 1 songs ?

I guess that lots of people will be happy with this collection although their most creative ones are of course not available since they were not released as a single (like "Getting Better", "A Day in the Life", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" etc.) or some jewels like "Michele", "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" or "Across the Universe".

But that was the concept of this compilation work.

How can someone resist to those timeless songs ? Very nice as well to have several songs which were unavailable on an a studio like "We Can Work it Out", "Day Tripper", "Lady Madonna", "Hey Jude" or "The Ballad of John and Yoko".

Other singles were already available on the very good US compilation "Magical Mystery Tour".

Anyway, this is an excellent way to introduce the Fab Four to the younger generations and a pleasant present for the older ones.

Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#155659) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 16, 2007

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars '1' - The Beatles (Compilation)

This is the essential collection of the Beatles' hits. It's quite impressive that 27 songs are able to fit onto this single CD.

While there is none of their progressive material on here, it has most of the songs that the band is best known for, including 'Day Tripper,' 'Yesterday' and 'Ticket To Ride.'

The compilation wasn't necessarily chosen by someone, but simply a collection of each of the band's number one hits. At a whopping 27, having a compilation of all of them was inevitable.

While the songwriting is phenomenal (for the most part) on this record and gives a listener a very good idea about what the Beatles are all about, I'm afraid I can't give this a five star rating, as it doesn't have any of my personal Beatles favourites on it, or any progressive songs. For 'rock music in general' however, and for those who don't necessarily care about 'album flow,' I recommend this as high as possible.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#224917) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Review by Chicapah
4 stars It's fall, 1963. I'm barely 14. Lights out at my house is 9pm but I usually lie in bed listening to my miniature transistor radio long after that hour because music is my escape from the humdrum of suburban life. One evening I'm tuned in to Russ "The Weird Beard" Knight's show on KLIF and he announces that he's about to play a record by a quartet from England that's unlike anything anyone listening has ever heard before. I am skeptical. He plays "I want to hold your hand." He's right. My life is forever changed.

The Beatles phenomenon will never be repeated. It was a cosmic confluence of right time, right place, right attitude and right haircuts, to be sure, but there was so much more to it than fortuitous coincidence. It required the added magical ingredients of immeasurable amounts of pure talent, unfettered creativity, limitless imagination and bold chutzpah to alter it from being just another fad into a historical line of demarcation on an equal par with Hiroshima. I can only speak from the perspective of an average American teenage boy of that era but my peers and I had just had our naïve beliefs about grownups blown to smithereens by the murder of JFK. On that fateful November Friday we collectively sensed that the truth wasn't being told to us and two days later we knew it never would. (Scoff if you like but one nut/one gun doesn't have a thousand loose ends.) Our future looked dark that season so when this fabulous ray of light came streaming through our tinny radio speakers we latched onto it for dear life. Here was something we could trust wholeheartedly. The healing power of rock & roll. The swine in Washington could take their filthy politics and shove them where the sun don't shine. This new music was going to deliver us from evil and it was exclusively OURS. Keep your Sinatra and your Elvis. We don't need 'em. We've got The Beatles and they've got us. Later, gators.

"Whoop de doo, old geezer," you may be saying to the screen. And that's okay. You have the right to feel patronized but that's not my intent. Like so many things, I guess you had to be there. In that case I present "1" as concrete evidence to the magnitude of what the Fab Four accomplished. Facts don't lie. Greatest hits packages are a dime a dozen yet only a few contain a number one single, if at all. This has 27. From a 7 year span. Unreal. And when traveling down this aural highway even the most jaded of critic must concede the unmatched influence these songs had on musical as well as societal trends in that tumultuous decade. It's plain as the freckled nose on your face. Radio was the weathervane of those times and no matter what the elder program directors thought, they had to play whatever The Beatles put out. The public appetite for them was insatiable and there was no alternate source. We had TV, of course, but they only showcased bands that'd made it big on the airwaves first. Top 40 radio ruled and these tunes became the consciousness of a generation by default. Every new release sounded nothing like what had come before and each number reinforced our notion that we could and should think for ourselves, not just shuffle along with the accepted norm. So, what's this all got to do with prog? Everything. The Beatles sowed and cultivated the mindset that gave young musicians the courage and means to consider and explore all possibilities. John, Paul, George and Ringo made progressive rock inevitable.

"1" encapsulates 1963-1970 in a nutshell (or, as Ian Anderson would say, in a warm sporran).

Phase One: "Love Me Do," "From Me to You," "She Loves You," "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Can't Buy me Love." Ridiculously simple fare, right? Well, after years of being beaten down by the likes of Herb Alpert, Pat Boone and Jan & Dean these songs were akin to "Close to the Edge" in comparison. The unbridled, aggressive enthusiasm these tunes contain heralded an era of puberty-fueled freedom heretofore unknown by our ancestors. Who cared if they only sang about love? It was all we needed.

Phase Two: "A Hard Day's Night," "I Feel Fine," "Eight Days a Week," "Ticket to Ride" and "Help!" Once our initial mass euphoria slacked off a bit they felt compelled to clue us in on a glimpse of reality. Since she's telling all the world that her baby buys her diamond rings, you know, you're going to have to work hard for a living for longer hours than you prefer yet don't be shocked if she flags down a train and leaves you high and dry one day and it devastates your psyche so much that you need therapy to recover.

Phase Three: "Yesterday," "Day Tripper," "We Can Work it Out," "Paperback Writer" and "Yellow Submarine." Once you get past your sappy yearning for the past when love was such an easy game to play you'll realize that chicks can be fickle as hell and it takes a lot of compromising to find compatibility with one and then when you get married your clinging wife won't understand that all you want to do is hang out with the friends who live next door and share funny cigarettes with tapered ends.

Phase Four: "Eleanor Rigby," "Penny Lane," "All You Need is Love," "Hello, Goodbye" and "Lady Madonna." It's becoming evident that all the lonely people are always going to be with us no matter what so we might as well turn on and dream of utopia because there's nothing you can do that can't be done and the planet doesn't really know if it's coming or going half the time and, anyway, did you think that money was heaven sent?

Phase Five: "Hey Jude," "Get Back," "The Ballad of John and Yoko," "Something" and "Come Together." Yo, dude, things didn't work out like you hoped so let's begin to make it better by returning to our California grass roots before they crucify us all in Vietnam and, by the way, if you're asking me if love will grow I don't know because I've got joo joo eyeballs.

Phase Six: "Let it Be" and "The Long and Winding Road." We're outa here, kids, but we'll leave you with a few tips. When you find yourself in trouble you can always go to your creator who'll tell you to leave things you can't control anyway alone already, get off your pity potty and get on with your life's journey. You ain't got it so bad, bucko.

Another point to ponder with "1" is that you didn't have to be a fan to know these songs by heart. You really had no choice. They were like the air you breathed. There's no semi- obscure album cuts on here (although that's where you'll find The Beatles' clever prog muse at her most innovative and productive) because every one of these #1 singles spent most of their allotted time spinning in heavy rotation as they beamed out from even the most remote of transmitters. They resonated throughout the globe. They served as the soundtrack for the common everyman who was coming alive in the 60s and, as I have tried to document with a dash of dry wit, their omnipresence became a running lyrical commentary, if not a major instigator, of the wholesale changes that were occurring all around him in that heady era. I know of what I speak. All I can say is that, despite all the craziness, you would've loved it there. It was a trip.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#280696) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 06, 2010

Review by thehallway
4 stars How many number 1's you say?!

Yes, all 27 of the chart-topping efforts from the Fab Four are accumulated here on this handy collection. If you were to combine the sales of each track, it probably works out as one of the most best-selling compilations in history. And because it's made solely of no. 1's, any listener (from screaming fan-girl to aborigine caveman) will have been unable to avoid during their lifetime at least half of the present songs, making it already very familiar.

The main advantage of owning this compilation, is that often the Beatles would release singles and then fail to include these songs on their actual albums, making it difficult to hear every song in one place; a problem eradicated by providing every stand-alone chart-topper in one place on this album. I'm not certain, but I would guess that having this collection, as well as every Beatles album, would cover every song the band has ever outputted.

The content doesn't really require description, other than that it successfully spans the whole career of these Liverpudlians (proving how conveniently frequent their position at number 1 was), and the sound is no different to the original recordings, I think. So, while not really relevant to a prog collection, this album is a must for Beatles fans. The only trouble is that you can't play "guess the chart position" while listening to it!

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#284447) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars This is one of the best compilations featuring the number one classics, many of which are only available on compilations, never released on studio albums. So it is difficult to rate this as anything under 4 stars as the songs are absolutely essential to the Beatles repertoire. In essence the songs come from all of the studio albums and there are none that are anything less than legendary.

The album begins with the early phase with the raw production of Love Me Do, From Me To You, and the smash hit She Loves You. It settles after the usual tracks on every compilation, into the better period when the band developed into proto prog such as Eleanor Rigby, Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love, and The Ballad Of John And Yoko. Of the 27 tracks perhaps the best come last in the form of the mystique of Come Together, Paul's ballad and best song from the last album, Let It Be, and finally ending with the soulful lament The Long And Winding Road.

Overall this is one of the great Beatles comps and it was a massive success in 2000, actually living up to it's title staying at number one on the charts for many weeks.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#399494) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 12, 2011

5 stars I think this compilation is essential for any Beatles fan, but it is by no means definitive. This album shows the hit-single side of the Beatles, and many of the songs are phenomenal, but it doesn't break into their creative and progressive side as on Sgt. Pepper and the White Album. That being sa ... (read more)

Report this review (#352483) | Posted by Earendil | Tuesday, December 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In my new vision of Prog it is difficult to judge The Beatles as Prog band. But sure The Beatles are between the inventors of Prog with ''Revolver'' and ''Sgt. Pepper's...''. ''1'' is only a compilation of UK or USA #1 and for this motive (but only for this motive) this compilation is good. ... (read more)

Report this review (#216831) | Posted by 1967/ 1976 | Thursday, May 21, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars As much as I usually don't do the whole greatest hits thing...this really is a good cross section of a great bands work...and unlike alot of the Emerson Lake and Palmer collections...doesn't use too much from a single album to ruin it for when you buy it. It features the good catchy singles and in ... (read more)

Report this review (#131478) | Posted by endlessepic | Friday, August 03, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is probably the best and most conscise Beatles compilation available, It has the best assortment of songs chronilogically from their birth to their death. The songs themselves are picked to appeal to the general audience, and they picked them well in that aspect. All of the best classic Be ... (read more)

Report this review (#104685) | Posted by OGTL | Wednesday, December 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is an interesting compilation, especially for the possibility of accompanying, in chronological order, how The Beatles changed so radically, from a pop band just like thousands of others, to an original and clever band that is appreciated by almost everyone, from classical composers, like Aa ... (read more)

Report this review (#94502) | Posted by Evandro Martini | Saturday, October 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Most groups would be happy if they ever had a single reach the #1 spot on the charts. That's what makes this particular collection astonishing. Not one or two but 27 songs by the Fab Four reached the pinnacle of modern music and, as you listen to one classic after another, you can't help but be ... (read more)

Report this review (#88412) | Posted by | Tuesday, August 29, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE BEATLES "The Beatles '1'"