THE BEATLES '1'

Boxset/Compilation, released in 2000

1. Love Me Do (2:21)
2. From Me To You (1:56)
3. She Loves You (2:21)
4. I Want To Hold Your Hand (2:25)
5. Can't Buy Me Love (2:12)
6. A Hard Day's Night (2:33)
7. I Feel Fine (2:18)
8. Eight Days A Week (2:44)
9. Ticket To Ride (3:11)
10. Help! (2:19)
11. Yesterday (2:05)
12. Day Tripper (2:48)
13. We Can Work It Out (2:15)
14. Paperback Writer (2:18)
15. Yellow Submarine (2:38)
16. Eleanor Rigby (2:07)
17. Penny Lane (3:00)
18. All You Need Is Love (3:47)
19. Hello, Goodbye (3:27)
20. Lady Madonna (2:17)
21. Hey Jude (7:04)
22. Get Back (3:12)
23. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (2:59)
24. Something (3:01)
25. Come Together (4:19)
26. Let It Be (3:51)
27. The Long And Winding Road (3:38)

Search THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' lyrics

Search THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' tabs

- John Lennon / guitars, vocals
- Paul McCartney / bass, vocals
- George Harrison / guitars, vocals
- Ringo Starr / drums, vocals

CD Apple Corps 5299702 (2000)

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' Music

Abbey RoadAbbey Road
Remastered
EMI 2012
Vinyl$17.99
BEATLES, TWIST AND SHOUT/THERE'S A PLACE-RARE US Oldies OL 152-7" VG++ US $13.58 Buy It Now 29m 59s
The Beatles Something New lp vinyl record Capitol Records MONO T 2108 US $19.99 Buy It Now 30m 56s
THE BEATLES Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts 1967 1st press orig Mono MAS2653 + insert US $45.99 Buy It Now 30m 56s
Beatles-can't buy me love.7" picture disc. US $30.60 Buy It Now 31m 38s
BEATLES yellow submarine square 2012 - WOVEN SEW ON PATCH (sealed) US $5.08 Buy It Now 31m 49s
THE BEATLES Official Merchandise Product 100% Cotton Zipped Tote Bag FACES US $20.38 Buy It Now 33m 59s
BEATLES YESTERDAY AND TODAY JAPAN US $59.99 Buy It Now 34m 1s
Beatles EP Collection CD Complete Box Set, UK Edition, Lennon, McCartney US $169.99 Buy It Now 34m 2s
Ringo Starr (BEATLES) Drowning in Sea Love (Long) Old Store Stock M NEW UNPLAYED US $9.99 [0 bids]
37m 4s
THE BEATLES beatles for sale 1970s UK PARLOPHONE SILVER & BLACK STEREO LP US $34.00 Buy It Now 40m 29s
Northern Beat RARE CD Beatles/Hollies/Billy Fury/Mindbenders/Searchers/Herman's US $12.73 Buy It Now 42m 30s
Ringo Starr (BEATLES) Weight of the World Old Store Stock M NEW UNPLAYED~NO U.S. US $9.99 [0 bids]
42m 46s
The Beatles Ultra Rare Trax Vol 2 CD US $19.99 [0 bids]
48m 3s
Beatles 15 CD Lot From My Personal Collection US $80.00 [0 bids]
48m 28s
THE BEATLES ~ HARD DAY'S ~ YELLOW & BLACK PARLOPHONE STEREO UK LP ~ LOVELY COPY US $841.52 Buy It Now 48m 44s
Beatles - Single Box CD US $131.50 Buy It Now 49m 39s
THE BEATLES 7" PS Japan A HARD DAY'S NIGHT red wax vinyl s0623 US $50.00 Buy It Now 49m 44s
BEATLES-A TASTE OF HONEY-LP only RUSSIAN press MINT RARE COLLECTORS US $14.99 Buy It Now 49m 59s
THE BEATLES CD GOLD DISC REVOLVER US $135.99 Buy It Now 51m
THE BEATLES -RED ALBUM 1962-1966- DIFFERENT LABELS - VERY RARE - URUGUAY (8pics) US $120.00 Buy It Now 51m 7s
THE BEATLES CASSETTE TAPE ROCK 'N' ROLL MUSIC VOL 1 MADE IN AUSTRALIA US $8.46 Buy It Now 53m 32s
REVOLVER by The Beatles CD, BRAND NEW IN THE SHRINK WRAP US $9.33 Buy It Now 54m 42s
THE BEATLES Let It Be CD 2009 Remaster NEW Sealed in Plastic Package US $9.33 Buy It Now 58m 12s
The Beatles and Muhammad Ali - Brand New Poster US $16.92 Buy It Now 59m 59s
Paul McCartney - Tug Of War Asian LP #5 LM-012 Beatles US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h
10-MINUTE TEACHER THE BEATLES HERE THERE AND EVERYWHERE GUITAR DVD TUTORIAL US $8.45 Buy It Now 1h
THE BEATLES AROUND THE BEATLES DAVID GRAY DISPLAY SET US $67.99 Buy It Now 1h
The Beatles PAUL McCARTNEY PIPES OF PEACE A BEAUTIFUL 1983 UK STEREO LP SUPERB. US $25.50 [0 bids]
The Beatles Paul McCartney CHOBA B CCCP - OFFICIAL FIRST ISSUE 1988 RUSSIAN LP US $25.50 [0 bids]
The Beatles PAUL McCARTNEY TUG OF WAR 1982 UK STEREO BEAUTIFUL MINT VINYL LP. US $34.00 [1 bids]
John Lennon (BEATLES) Happy Xmas Promo Mono Old Store Stock M NEW UNPLAYED~ US $9.99 [1 bids]
Paul McCartney - Tug Of War Asian LP #1 LM-3164 Beatles US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Beatles, ROCK'N'ROLL MUSIC VOLUMES 1 & 2 ORIGINAL 1980 EMI/MFP VINYL LPs. US $25.50 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES HARD DAY'S NIGHT ~ YELLOW & BLACK PARLOPHONE MONO UK LP ~ NICE COPY US $501.51 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Please Please Me-Stereo Remaster - Beatles New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $21.75 Buy It Now 1h 4m
THE BEATLES TWO ORIGINAL PRESS PHOTOS WITH REAR STAMPS US $28.88 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The Beatles Interview CD Lot of 3 - Limited Edition, 2 Rock Reports, Very Rare! US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
THE BEATLES "LEAD" HAND PAINTED FIGURES " FLOWER POWER" MAHARSHI YOGI AWESOME ! US $90.09 [0 bids]
The Beatles "Love Songs" Cassette Tape Canada [Capitol 4X2Z-11711] John Lennon US $6.01 Buy It Now 1h 10m
45RPM The Beatles Penny Lane & Strawberry Field 0611EL US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Beatles Cover - Kansas City Japan Only Colour Flexi 7" Ultra Rare ! US $157.50 Buy It Now 1h 11m
George Harrison (BEATLES) Wake up My Promo Mono Old Store Stock M NEW UNPLAYED~ US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES PAPERBACK WRITER 7" 45 RPM Capitol Records Yellow Orange Swirl US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
1 by The Beatles (CD, Nov-2000, Apple/Capitol) US $4.99 [0 bids]
APPLE THE BEATLES /1967-1970 US $10.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES ROYAL MAIL 2007 UK STAMPS (4) SET MINT NEW ! USABLE ! COLLECTABLE US $15.28 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Salute to the Beatles US $4.18 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Beatles Go Jazz US $4.18 Buy It Now 1h 13m
THE BEATLES Michelle/Girl 45/PS Danish Only 1963 Rare Odeon SD-5987 EX US $39.08 Buy It Now 1h 14m
The Beatles(2x12" Vinyl LP Gatefold)Rock N Roll Music-EMI-PCSP 719-UK-Ex/Ex US $40.78 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(2x12" Vinyl LP Gatefold 1st Issue)1967-1970-Apple-PCSP 718-UK-Ex/Ex- US $40.78 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(2x12" Vinyl LP Gatefold 1st Issue)1962-1966-Ex-/Ex- US $45.88 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(Vinyl LP 2nd State)With The Beatles-Parlophone-PMC 1206-UK-VG+/VG+ US $67.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(Vinyl LP 2nd State)Rubber Soul-Parlophone-PMC 1267-UK-VG/VG US $62.88 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(Vinyl LP 2nd State)Rubber Soul-Parlophone-PMC 1267-UK-VG/VG+ US $96.89 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(Vinyl LP 1st Issue)Help-Parlophone-PMC 1255-UK-VG+/VG+ US $62.88 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(Vinyl LP 2nd State)Rubber Soul-Parlophone-PMC 1267-UK-VG/VG+ US $71.39 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(Vinyl LP Gatefold 1st Issue 1st Press)Beatles For Sale-VG+/VG+ US $79.89 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(Red Vinyl LP 1st Issue)Second Album-Odeon-OR 7058-Japan-VG+/VG+ US $300.89 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(Vinyl LP 1st Issue)The Essential-Apple-TVSS8-Australia-Ex-/Ex US $105.39 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Beatles(2x12" Vinyl LP Gatefold 1st Issue)Live At The BBC-UK-Ex/Ex US $50.98 Buy It Now 1h 17m
THE BEATLES"Something New"First 1964 US Stereo Capitol ST-2108 EX-/NM- Vinyl US $20.95 [0 bids]
Beatles- Sweet Apple Trax -Newsound Records ?- NR 909-1 /LP US $69.98 Buy It Now 1h 20m
FREE 2for1 OFFER-BEATLES?- The Beatles - Apple Records ?- SWBO 101 US $159.98 Buy It Now 1h 20m
UNPLAYED* MINT* BEATLES*TICKET TO RIDE / YES IT IS**STAR LINE X 6288**1981**** US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
The Beatles rare photos & interview (Vol.3) CD (CD, 1996, MasterTone(UK)) US $8.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl P/S)All Together Now-Apple-006 04982-Italy-Ex+/Ex+ US $76.49 Buy It Now 1h 24m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl)Hey Jude-Apple-R 5722-UK-VG/VG US $20.38 Buy It Now 1h 24m
THE BEATLES - Abbey Road - Original 1969 UK Vinyl LP PCS 7088 Laminate Slv EX US $61.20 [13 bids]
The Beatles "White Album"2- Cassette Capitol 1968 FREE SHIPPING IN USA US $17.98 [0 bids]
BEATLES BUTCHER ULTRA RARE LIMITED EDITION LP V/N/M CONVENTION PIC DISC US $384.69 Buy It Now 1h 29m
BACKBEAT UK Vinyl LP Like New! Beatles Foo Fighters REM Soul Asylum Don Fleming US $39.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
CHILLFACTOR Eggman On The Deuce 12" SINGLE US EP SEALED The Beatles US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 29m
THE BEATLES Eight Days A Week 45/PS Danish Only 1963 Rare Odeon ND-7438 EX US $42.48 Buy It Now 1h 30m
"Introducing The Beatles" Vee Jay LP1062 Mono - Brackets & Rainbow Band US $49.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES LAS ESCOBAS QUE CANTAN LP PRESS IN COLOMBIA-STEREO CAT- 11418 US $59.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
The Beatles: Album Collection Greetings Card Set - New & Official In Sealed Tin US $29.75 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Beatles Abbey Road Capitol Master, VG++, CLEAN, Sounds Great! US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
PROMO 7" EP P/S 45 - MEMPHIS - GET BACK ( BEATLES ) + 3 - 1974 - Brazil US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
RARE ORIGINAL PAUL McCARTNEY WINGS ROCKSHOW 1981 MOVIE POSTER MINT BEATLES US $17.87 Buy It Now 1h 32m
1964 MEET THE BEATLES LP Capitol MONO T-2047 RARE 2nd Label Var 1 BMI VG to VG+ US $82.50 Buy It Now 1h 33m
PAUL McCARTNEY 7" VINYL COMING UP PARLOPHONE R 6035 BEATLES EX US $7.74 Buy It Now 1h 33m
The Beatles 12" inch Signed Art Picture Disc. John Lennon Autograph Vinyl. VAYP US $11.88 [0 bids]
The Beatles Signed Picture Disc 7" or 12" inch Vinyl with Autographs VAYP US $8.48 [0 bids]
The Beatles 12" inch Picture Disc. With John Lennon Autograph Vinyl. VAYP US $11.88 [0 bids]
The Beatles No3 Signed Picture Disc 7" or 12" inch Vinyl with Autographs VAYP US $8.48 [0 bids]
The Beatles No2 Signed Picture Disc 7" or 12" inch Vinyl with Autographs VAYP US $8.48 [0 bids]
NEW The Beatles Cant Buy Me Love Limited Edition Collectable Taxi Tin US $51.15 Buy It Now 1h 35m
GLEE CAST-GLEE SINGS THE BEATLES-JAPAN CD E76 US $27.50 Buy It Now 1h 36m
1964 BEATLES Twist And Shout / There's A Place Tollie 9101 45 rpm VG+ Vinyl US $8.80 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Hello Goodbye / I Am The Wailers-UK-Ex/Ex US $23.78 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)I Want To Hold Your Hand / This Boy-UK-Ex/VG+ US $11.88 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue 2nd State)We Can Work It Out / Day Tripper-Ex/Ex- US $16.98 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)She Loves You / I'll Get You-UK-Ex/Ex US $15.28 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue 2nd Press)Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby-Ex/VG+ US $13.58 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Help / I'm Down-UK-Ex/Ex US $23.78 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue 2nd State)Can't Buy Me Love / You Can't Do-Ex/VG US $28.88 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby-UK-Ex/Ex+ US $23.78 Buy It Now 1h 37m

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(28%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(49%)

THE BEATLES The Beatles '1' reviews

Review by chopper
4 stars An excellent compilation, bringing together all the Beatles' number ones from the UK and the US. Unfortunately, the vagaries of the early UK charts and the differences in the two countries mean we get "Love Me Do" (which only reached 17 in the UK) and we don't get "Please please me". The biggest injustice in the history of the singles chart also means we don't get "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "Penny Lane" (the greatest single of all time) as the 2 songs were counted separately and so it was beaten to the top by Englebert Humperdinck's "Please release me".

That aside, this features 27 songs which nearly everyone will know and so is a required purchase for those of you who don't already have all the other albums.

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#70308) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 23, 2006

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is, maybe, the "essential compilation" of The Beatles `songs, as it has some of their most famous songs. I recommend it specially for new listeners of their music, as a starting point before listening to their other albums.

This album also has all the songs remastered, so the sound of this album is very good, despite having the three first songs in Mono. The booklet also has very good notes about the recording dates and release dates of each song as singles.

This album is also important because the songs are in chronological order, showing the evolution of the sound of the band between 1962 and 1970.

It also was, and maybe still is, the best, or one of the best selling albums of all times.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#78955) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 21, 2006

Review by Australian
3 stars My god this album brings back so many memories. I remember when I was younger I used to listen to this album non stop all day; it was probably my first real musical interest. This led me to discover Bob Dylan which led to greater things. This album has influenced the way I play guitar more than another as my uncle is a hardcore fan of The Beatles and ever since I started playing guitar my uncle has taught me to play almost all of the songs here as well as other blues songs. If you only ever get one Beatles album, and your looking for something good then I'd recommend this album, all the hits are there. From a progressive out look 1 excludes some of the more progressive Beatles song however. I find the way all 26 songs can fit on one disc very attracting, this is a very easy album to find and enjoy. I've been listening to 1 from the day it came out apparently and it has made a giant impression on me.The problem is that most of the stuff on this album isn't really progressive as far as The Beatles go, so a healthy 3 stars is in order here.

Send comments to Australian (BETA) | Report this review (#87628) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 18, 2006

Review by clarke2001
4 stars An excellent Beatles' compilation.

This one contains 27 songs, all of them were hits and all of them are very well known. There is not much material of interest for a progressive rock fan, simply because it's impossible to make a perfect compilation to please everybody's taste - and this one is somewhat thin on the prog side - there is no "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" or "I'm The Walrus" included.

However, all of these songs are good old rock staples - and we all know them very well. From that point of view, this is a good value for a newcomer in the world of THE BEATLES or good rock music in general.

Perhaps the best thing about the compilation is its educational value - and this is not to be overlooked by anyone who is interested in development of prog rock and rock music in general. Why an educational value? Well, listening to this album fro the first track to the very last I realised one crucial thing: the evolving, or progress, if you like it. Track listing is a perfect example of gradation between radio friendly simple rock 'n' roll hits to sophisticated psychedelia. Basically, you are listening one band evolving. This one will help you understand why some things happened in music history. Perhaps that was not the intention of compilation-makers, but it happened anyway, the tracks are sorted more or less chronologically.

It's only a pity that editors didn't took one step further and included a few highlights from the band's catalogue. However, this CD is worth having.

Four stars because of good music AND its educational value.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#104689) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Review by Chris H
4 stars This is the ultimate in Beatles compilations. Virtually every single one of the Beatles' #1 hits are included on this compilation, and for the first time in my life I think I have found a compilation that doesn't do a terrible job arranging the songs. Each song is placed in order of when it hit #1, and that creates a nice "trip through the decades" feel, while making it easier to pick out when they changed their sounds and why. Every Beatles fan should have this in their collection, and even if you aren't a Beatles fan (yet!), there is still something here for everyone. Some good rock (Get Back, Come Together, Paperback Writer), nice ballads (The Ballad of John and Yoko, We Can Work It Out), and those numerous classic Beatles hits (A Hard Day's Night, Day Tripper, Yellow Submarine).

The only gripe I have with this album, however, is the fact that due to dissimilarities between the US and UK charting processes, we miss out on the UK number one hit Please Please Me and the US number one hit Strawberry Fields Forever. Without those two songs, it cannot be a true #1 hits collection, although this certainly does come close. An excellent collection, highly recommended to anybody, fan or not.

Send comments to Chris H (BETA) | Report this review (#109237) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 28, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I purchased this CD when it was released, and I am now one out of twenty millions by now to own this compilation.

It became their fifteenth Nr. 1 album in the UK. But this album broke lots of records.

It is a great collection of their best known songs and should please anyone who is willing to have these songs on one CD only. The promoter of the idea for this record must have been happy to see that the whole of these songs (twenty-seven) was clocking at seventy-nine minutes. Just the CD capacity.

Otherwise, they should have deleted one song. But which one since it is supposed to fit all their Nr. 1 songs ?

I guess that lots of people will be happy with this collection although their most creative ones are of course not available since they were not released as a single (like "Getting Better", "A Day in the Life", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" etc.) or some jewels like "Michele", "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" or "Across the Universe".

But that was the concept of this compilation work.

How can someone resist to those timeless songs ? Very nice as well to have several songs which were unavailable on an a studio like "We Can Work it Out", "Day Tripper", "Lady Madonna", "Hey Jude" or "The Ballad of John and Yoko".

Other singles were already available on the very good US compilation "Magical Mystery Tour".

Anyway, this is an excellent way to introduce the Fab Four to the younger generations and a pleasant present for the older ones.

Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#155659) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 16, 2007

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars '1' - The Beatles (Compilation)

This is the essential collection of the Beatles' hits. It's quite impressive that 27 songs are able to fit onto this single CD.

While there is none of their progressive material on here, it has most of the songs that the band is best known for, including 'Day Tripper,' 'Yesterday' and 'Ticket To Ride.'

The compilation wasn't necessarily chosen by someone, but simply a collection of each of the band's number one hits. At a whopping 27, having a compilation of all of them was inevitable.

While the songwriting is phenomenal (for the most part) on this record and gives a listener a very good idea about what the Beatles are all about, I'm afraid I can't give this a five star rating, as it doesn't have any of my personal Beatles favourites on it, or any progressive songs. For 'rock music in general' however, and for those who don't necessarily care about 'album flow,' I recommend this as high as possible.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#224917) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Review by Chicapah
4 stars It's fall, 1963. I'm barely 14. Lights out at my house is 9pm but I usually lie in bed listening to my miniature transistor radio long after that hour because music is my escape from the humdrum of suburban life. One evening I'm tuned in to Russ "The Weird Beard" Knight's show on KLIF and he announces that he's about to play a record by a quartet from England that's unlike anything anyone listening has ever heard before. I am skeptical. He plays "I want to hold your hand." He's right. My life is forever changed.

The Beatles phenomenon will never be repeated. It was a cosmic confluence of right time, right place, right attitude and right haircuts, to be sure, but there was so much more to it than fortuitous coincidence. It required the added magical ingredients of immeasurable amounts of pure talent, unfettered creativity, limitless imagination and bold chutzpah to alter it from being just another fad into a historical line of demarcation on an equal par with Hiroshima. I can only speak from the perspective of an average American teenage boy of that era but my peers and I had just had our naïve beliefs about grownups blown to smithereens by the murder of JFK. On that fateful November Friday we collectively sensed that the truth wasn't being told to us and two days later we knew it never would. (Scoff if you like but one nut/one gun doesn't have a thousand loose ends.) Our future looked dark that season so when this fabulous ray of light came streaming through our tinny radio speakers we latched onto it for dear life. Here was something we could trust wholeheartedly. The healing power of rock & roll. The swine in Washington could take their filthy politics and shove them where the sun don't shine. This new music was going to deliver us from evil and it was exclusively OURS. Keep your Sinatra and your Elvis. We don't need 'em. We've got The Beatles and they've got us. Later, gators.

"Whoop de doo, old geezer," you may be saying to the screen. And that's okay. You have the right to feel patronized but that's not my intent. Like so many things, I guess you had to be there. In that case I present "1" as concrete evidence to the magnitude of what the Fab Four accomplished. Facts don't lie. Greatest hits packages are a dime a dozen yet only a few contain a number one single, if at all. This has 27. From a 7 year span. Unreal. And when traveling down this aural highway even the most jaded of critic must concede the unmatched influence these songs had on musical as well as societal trends in that tumultuous decade. It's plain as the freckled nose on your face. Radio was the weathervane of those times and no matter what the elder program directors thought, they had to play whatever The Beatles put out. The public appetite for them was insatiable and there was no alternate source. We had TV, of course, but they only showcased bands that'd made it big on the airwaves first. Top 40 radio ruled and these tunes became the consciousness of a generation by default. Every new release sounded nothing like what had come before and each number reinforced our notion that we could and should think for ourselves, not just shuffle along with the accepted norm. So, what's this all got to do with prog? Everything. The Beatles sowed and cultivated the mindset that gave young musicians the courage and means to consider and explore all possibilities. John, Paul, George and Ringo made progressive rock inevitable.

"1" encapsulates 1963-1970 in a nutshell (or, as Ian Anderson would say, in a warm sporran).

Phase One: "Love Me Do," "From Me to You," "She Loves You," "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Can't Buy me Love." Ridiculously simple fare, right? Well, after years of being beaten down by the likes of Herb Alpert, Pat Boone and Jan & Dean these songs were akin to "Close to the Edge" in comparison. The unbridled, aggressive enthusiasm these tunes contain heralded an era of puberty-fueled freedom heretofore unknown by our ancestors. Who cared if they only sang about love? It was all we needed.

Phase Two: "A Hard Day's Night," "I Feel Fine," "Eight Days a Week," "Ticket to Ride" and "Help!" Once our initial mass euphoria slacked off a bit they felt compelled to clue us in on a glimpse of reality. Since she's telling all the world that her baby buys her diamond rings, you know, you're going to have to work hard for a living for longer hours than you prefer yet don't be shocked if she flags down a train and leaves you high and dry one day and it devastates your psyche so much that you need therapy to recover.

Phase Three: "Yesterday," "Day Tripper," "We Can Work it Out," "Paperback Writer" and "Yellow Submarine." Once you get past your sappy yearning for the past when love was such an easy game to play you'll realize that chicks can be fickle as hell and it takes a lot of compromising to find compatibility with one and then when you get married your clinging wife won't understand that all you want to do is hang out with the friends who live next door and share funny cigarettes with tapered ends.

Phase Four: "Eleanor Rigby," "Penny Lane," "All You Need is Love," "Hello, Goodbye" and "Lady Madonna." It's becoming evident that all the lonely people are always going to be with us no matter what so we might as well turn on and dream of utopia because there's nothing you can do that can't be done and the planet doesn't really know if it's coming or going half the time and, anyway, did you think that money was heaven sent?

Phase Five: "Hey Jude," "Get Back," "The Ballad of John and Yoko," "Something" and "Come Together." Yo, dude, things didn't work out like you hoped so let's begin to make it better by returning to our California grass roots before they crucify us all in Vietnam and, by the way, if you're asking me if love will grow I don't know because I've got joo joo eyeballs.

Phase Six: "Let it Be" and "The Long and Winding Road." We're outa here, kids, but we'll leave you with a few tips. When you find yourself in trouble you can always go to your creator who'll tell you to leave things you can't control anyway alone already, get off your pity potty and get on with your life's journey. You ain't got it so bad, bucko.

Another point to ponder with "1" is that you didn't have to be a fan to know these songs by heart. You really had no choice. They were like the air you breathed. There's no semi- obscure album cuts on here (although that's where you'll find The Beatles' clever prog muse at her most innovative and productive) because every one of these #1 singles spent most of their allotted time spinning in heavy rotation as they beamed out from even the most remote of transmitters. They resonated throughout the globe. They served as the soundtrack for the common everyman who was coming alive in the 60s and, as I have tried to document with a dash of dry wit, their omnipresence became a running lyrical commentary, if not a major instigator, of the wholesale changes that were occurring all around him in that heady era. I know of what I speak. All I can say is that, despite all the craziness, you would've loved it there. It was a trip.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#280696) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 06, 2010

Review by thehallway
4 stars How many number 1's you say?!

Yes, all 27 of the chart-topping efforts from the Fab Four are accumulated here on this handy collection. If you were to combine the sales of each track, it probably works out as one of the most best-selling compilations in history. And because it's made solely of no. 1's, any listener (from screaming fan-girl to aborigine caveman) will have been unable to avoid during their lifetime at least half of the present songs, making it already very familiar.

The main advantage of owning this compilation, is that often the Beatles would release singles and then fail to include these songs on their actual albums, making it difficult to hear every song in one place; a problem eradicated by providing every stand-alone chart-topper in one place on this album. I'm not certain, but I would guess that having this collection, as well as every Beatles album, would cover every song the band has ever outputted.

The content doesn't really require description, other than that it successfully spans the whole career of these Liverpudlians (proving how conveniently frequent their position at number 1 was), and the sound is no different to the original recordings, I think. So, while not really relevant to a prog collection, this album is a must for Beatles fans. The only trouble is that you can't play "guess the chart position" while listening to it!

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#284447) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars This is one of the best compilations featuring the number one classics, many of which are only available on compilations, never released on studio albums. So it is difficult to rate this as anything under 4 stars as the songs are absolutely essential to the Beatles repertoire. In essence the songs come from all of the studio albums and there are none that are anything less than legendary.

The album begins with the early phase with the raw production of Love Me Do, From Me To You, and the smash hit She Loves You. It settles after the usual tracks on every compilation, into the better period when the band developed into proto prog such as Eleanor Rigby, Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love, and The Ballad Of John And Yoko. Of the 27 tracks perhaps the best come last in the form of the mystique of Come Together, Paul's ballad and best song from the last album, Let It Be, and finally ending with the soulful lament The Long And Winding Road.

Overall this is one of the great Beatles comps and it was a massive success in 2000, actually living up to it's title staying at number one on the charts for many weeks.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#399494) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 12, 2011

Review by Sheavy
COLLABORATOR Progressive Electronic Team
2 stars I am not the biggest Beatles fan ever, and this compilation does not feature almost any of my favorite songs from The Fab Four. I do not care for the early beatles very much and the first song on this compilation that I like is Paperback Writer which is a nice little hard (for the time) rock song. From there the next song I like is the excellent Eleanor Rigby which is in contest for the best Beatles songs ever for me. Then everything from Hey Jude to the end is great, except for Something which i do not really care for. This is a good enough compilation, but for a band this big there are better ones that have more than just there hits and have some extras on them.

Send comments to Sheavy (BETA) | Report this review (#469824) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011

5 stars I think this compilation is essential for any Beatles fan, but it is by no means definitive. This album shows the hit-single side of the Beatles, and many of the songs are phenomenal, but it doesn't break into their creative and progressive side as on Sgt. Pepper and the White Album. That being sa ... (read more)

Report this review (#352483) | Posted by Earendil | Tuesday, December 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In my new vision of Prog it is difficult to judge The Beatles as Prog band. But sure The Beatles are between the inventors of Prog with ''Revolver'' and ''Sgt. Pepper's...''. ''1'' is only a compilation of UK or USA #1 and for this motive (but only for this motive) this compilation is good. ... (read more)

Report this review (#216831) | Posted by 1967/ 1976 | Thursday, May 21, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars As much as I usually don't do the whole greatest hits thing...this really is a good cross section of a great bands work...and unlike alot of the Emerson Lake and Palmer collections...doesn't use too much from a single album to ruin it for when you buy it. It features the good catchy singles and in ... (read more)

Report this review (#131478) | Posted by endlessepic | Friday, August 03, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is probably the best and most conscise Beatles compilation available, It has the best assortment of songs chronilogically from their birth to their death. The songs themselves are picked to appeal to the general audience, and they picked them well in that aspect. All of the best classic Be ... (read more)

Report this review (#104685) | Posted by OGTL | Wednesday, December 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is an interesting compilation, especially for the possibility of accompanying, in chronological order, how The Beatles changed so radically, from a pop band just like thousands of others, to an original and clever band that is appreciated by almost everyone, from classical composers, like Aa ... (read more)

Report this review (#94502) | Posted by Evandro Martini | Saturday, October 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Most groups would be happy if they ever had a single reach the #1 spot on the charts. That's what makes this particular collection astonishing. Not one or two but 27 songs by the Fab Four reached the pinnacle of modern music and, as you listen to one classic after another, you can't help but be ... (read more)

Report this review (#88412) | Posted by | Tuesday, August 29, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE BEATLES "The Beatles '1'"