NOVA SOLIS

Morgan

Morgan Nova Solis album cover

Buy MORGAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Samarkhand The Golden (8:04)
2. Alone (5:17)
3. War Games (7:03)
4. Nova Solis: a suite (20:17)

Search MORGAN Nova Solis lyrics

Search MORGAN Nova Solis tabs

- Morgan Fisher / keyboards & synthesizer
- Tim Staffel / vocals & acoustic guitar
- Bob Sapsed / bass
- Maurice Bacon / drums & percussion

Recorded June/ July 1972 at RCA studios Rome (published by RCA Italiana), republished in 2004 by BMG RICORDI S.p.A. (82876646662)
(Remastered by Angel Air Records in 2000)
(Remastered in 2005 on CD, Japan: Air Mail Recording AIRAC-1098; cover is a replica of the original gatefold LP sleeve)
(Remastered in 2001 on LP, Italy: Black Widow BWR 052; limited edition of 600 copies)

Thanks to ANDREW for the addition
and to MANDRAKEROOT for the last updates

MORGAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MORGAN Nova Solis Music

Morgan - Canzoni Dell'Appartamento [CD New] US $11.96 Buy It Now 36m 44s
Hand Signed CD Hans J Salter House - Ghost of Frankenstein J MORGAN - STROMBERG US $99.99 [0 bids]
42m 1s
The Tennessee Guitars Pretend & Ballad of Morgan 45 record US $12.00 Buy It Now 51m 44s
Songs of the Savior - Garrett,Morgan & James Garrett New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE US $25.03 Buy It Now 51m 46s
JANE MORGAN - THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS - COLPIX-SCP469 US $25.00 Buy It Now 57m 50s
Greatest Hits: Lorrie Morgan by US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h
45 Morgan Brothers "Nola" 1958 POP MGM 12747 VG++/NM US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Jane Morgan 45 w/ps MAYBE / WALKING THE STREETS IN THE RAIN ~ VG+ northern US $28.70 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Jane Morgan 45 BLESS 'EM ALL / ...MEAN GOODBYE ~ VG+ US $2.46 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Jane Morgan 45 SIDE BY SIDE / TILL I WALTZ AGAIN ~ VG+ US $2.46 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Jane Morgan 45 THE THREE BELLS / WNAT TO BE WITH YOU ~ VG+ US $2.46 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Jane Morgan 45 GOOD LOVIN' / ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY ~ VG US $2.46 Buy It Now 1h 4m
45 Eddy Arnold & Jaye P. Morgan "Mutual Admiration Society" 1956 RCA 6708 NM US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Soul Defenders Band Jah Love V Morgan 7" 45t Rare Roots Reggae Dub NM US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
78RPM Victor 16800 Arthur Pryor, Oh Dry those Tears/ Corinne Morgan, Love's O wV US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
La Vendetta Di Lady Morgan - Umiliani,Piero New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Ship US $32.71 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Decca 24521 Russ Morgan - So Tired / I Hear Music 1945 10" 78 RPM US $29.97 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Mats Morgan THANKS FOR FLYING Cuneiform Records CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves by Michael Kamen (CD, Jul-1991, Morgan Creek) US $2.99 [1 bids]
Shakin' Things Up by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Aug-1997, BNA) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Something in Red by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Apr-1991, RCA) US $4.00 [0 bids]
TIM MORGAN -FOR ALL WE KNOW 7" SINGLE CHEAP US $4.85 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Jane Morgan 7" single The Day The Rains Came US $8.12 Buy It Now 1h 55m
45 RPM MGM phonograph record Jaye P Morgan Are You Lonesome Tonight and Miss You US $2.00 [0 bids]
A1336 LEE MORGAN / LEE MORGAN VOLUME 3 JAPAN CD CP32-9507 OBI TO 1A1 BLUE NOTE US $59.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves by Michael Kamen (CD, Jul-1991, Morgan Creek) US $1.00 [0 bids]
Something in Red by Lorrie Morgan (c1) US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
I Finally Found Someone by Lorrie Morgan & Sammy Kershaw US $4.24 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Jane Morgan - The Day The Rains Came ORIG 1958 7" EX US $8.10 Buy It Now 3h
Shake a Leg - Morgan,Derrick New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $50.69 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Scott Morgan - Medium Rare 1970-2000 CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Leave The Light On - Morgan, Lorrie (CD 2003) US $0.99 [0 bids]
RUSS MORGAN RECORD US $2.90 [0 bids]
'14 Concert BRAD PAISLEY Craig Morgan BRANTLEY GILBERT Interview 2 CD Promo LIVE US $14.99 [0 bids]
Rare LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Craig Morgan 2 CD Promo US $13.99 [0 bids]
LIVE New 2013 Concert MIRANDA LAMBERT Craig Morgan CD Promo US $14.99 [0 bids]
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Mike Morgan & the Crawl: Mighty Fine Dancin US $47.92 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Rare LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Craig Morgan 2 CD Promo US $13.99 [0 bids]
FRANK MORGAN QUARTET - Yardbird Suite NEW CASSETTE TAPE US $9.03 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Morgan Heritage - Mission In Progress [CD New] US $11.71 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Russ Morgan - Plays 22 Original Big Band Rec [CD New] US $9.57 Buy It Now 3h 35m
JANE MORGAN the three bells / i want to be with you used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
JANE MORGAN fly me to the moon / love makes the world go round NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
JANE MORGAN blue hawaii / moon river NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
JANE MORGAN once more my love once more / enchanted island kapp 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
RUSS MORGAN you and the night and the music/let the rest of the world go by 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
LORRIE MORGAN my favorite things/up on santa claus mountain NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
RUSS MORGAN does your heart beat for me / so long 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
JANE MORGAN bless em all does goodnight mean goodbye used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
JANE MORGAN look what you've done to me/there's nothing else on my mind NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
DICK MORGAN TRIO see what I mean JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED US $21.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
RUSS MORGAN i hear music / so tired 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
RUSS MORGAN wabash blues / linger awhile / stumbling 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
JANE MORGAN elusive butterfly / good lovin NEW OLD STOCK 45 RECORD US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 52m
JANE MORGAN my funny valentine / a child NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
JANE MORGAN The Day The Rains Came / Fascination KAPP used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
s/t MARRY ME! MARRY ME!-JANE MORGAN/JOHNNIE SPENCE RCA LSO-1160 NEW SEALED LP US $17.98 Buy It Now 3h 54m
78 RPM RUSS MORGAN neapolitan nights\doll dance 04795 uk brunswick 10" WS VG/ US $58.72 Buy It Now 4h
Morgan Heritage - One Calling, LP 1998 VP Sealed, NEW US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
MELI'SA MORGAN do me baby 12 CL 385 uk capitol 1985 12" PS EX/EX US $14.53 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Filmtales - Leonard-Morgan,Paul New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $24.69 Buy It Now 4h 16m
UNRELEASED / LEE MORGAN SEXTET / GXF 3024 US $79.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
UB40 Geffery Morgan Vinyl LP A&M 1984 ~f US $7.61 Buy It Now 4h 47m
POLLY BERGEN - BERGEN SINGS MORGAN/THE PARTY'S OVER - NEW CD US $11.62 Buy It Now 4h 50m
My Heart by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Apr-1999, BNA) US $5.25 Buy It Now 4h 51m
George Morgan Come Away From His Arms 7" 45 Columbia 4-41523 Vinyl US $3.74 Buy It Now 4h 58m
George Morgan Makin' Heartaches 7" 45 Decca 33037 1972 Vinyl US $3.74 Buy It Now 4h 58m
George Morgan Stranger In The Night 7" 45 Columbia 4-21052 Vinyl US $3.74 Buy It Now 4h 58m
My Kind of Livin' by Craig Morgan (CD, Mar-2005, Broken Bow) Good Condition!! US $0.99 [0 bids]
5h
LEE MORGAN-THE COOKER-JAPAN BLUE NOTE CD+BONUS TRACK D25 US $22.99 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Denroy Morgan 45 I'll Do Anything For You 1981 Promo Becket Vinyl Record US $4.74 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Morgan Page - Elevate - U.S. cd - RARE! 081714 US $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 6m
TOUGHER THAN TOUGH (Rudie In Court)~DERRICK MORGAN & THE ACES (Boss Rocksteady)? US $24.34 [0 bids]
Medleys In The Morgan Manor - RUSS MORGAN US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 13m
ART BLAKEY THE BIG BEAT BLUE NOTE BST-84029 VG- DG LEE MORGAN,WAYNE SHORTER ORG. US $75.00 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Kraft Country Tour '96 CD Carlene Carter - Lorrie Morgan - Pam Tillis 1996 BMG US $13.45 Buy It Now 5h 20m
BT The Emergency CD Promo MORGAN PAGE 4 Mixes Today Is The Day 2010 US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
JANE MORGAN/ funny world/1960's 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Something in Red by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Apr-1991, RCA) 816 US $0.99 [0 bids]
CRAMER: SONGS / RACHEL ANN MORGAN, MARJ?S BENOIST - NEW CD US $16.03 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Morgan MOR 6102 (3LPs) mono Nm/Nm- ZANDONAI Francesca Da Rimini - GENCER/CAPUANA US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Best of Birdland Vol 1 vinyl LP VG+ Roulette Records John Coltrane Lee Morgan US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 34m
JANE MORGAN - IF ONLY I COULD LIVE MY LIFE AGAIN. (UK, 1958, LONDON, HLR 8810) US $4.85 [0 bids]
Free Wheelin': The Music of Lee Morgan US $8.44 Buy It Now 5h 38m
If You Need Me, Montoy, Coco, Morgan, Mike, Eale, Good US $4.19 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Stanley Morgan's Ink Spots LP Live from The Hacienda Hotel Scorpio 104 Private US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 42m
45 RPM, Country, #917, Eddy Arnold / Jaye P. Morgan, If'n, BW/ Mutual Admiration US $2.49 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Shakin' Things Up - Morgan, Lorrie (CD 2000) US $4.00 Buy It Now 5h 53m
TORCH SONGS BY HELEN MORGAN & FANNIE BRICE; VIK 1006 VG++ LP; NOT ON CD US $21.00 Buy It Now 6h 4m
SRCS.97 David Morgan Violin Concerto & Contrasts Erich Gruenberg RPO Handley US $56.80 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Jane Morgan-More Golden Hits-LP-Kapp-Vinyl Record US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
DENROY MORGAN - I'll Do Anything For You - FUNK SOUL DISCO 45 - Beckett US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 23m
Fire ( Wynton Kelly Red Holloway Lee Morgan ) RARE OOP Original CD (Brand New!) US $44.99 Buy It Now 6h 23m
JANE MORGAN, THIS IS MYWORLD WITHOUT YOU, HMV RECORDS 1967 MINT- US $4.04 [0 bids]
SEALED: LEE MORGAN SONIC BOOM RARE 1979 BLUE NOTE CLASSIC VINYL LP NEW US $17.00 Buy It Now 6h 42m
Henry Morgan Isobel Robins: The saint and si LP 12" 12inch vinyl record album 3c US $6.00 Buy It Now 7h 3m
JAYE P. MORGAN - UP NORTH, DOWN SOUTH - NEW CD US $10.89 Buy It Now 7h 5m
THE MORGAN SISTERS Fiddlesticks STRING BAND KING JUKEBOX 78 RPM Record US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 6m
*LITTLE ROY WIGGINS Tribute To George Morgan (LP, Scotty's Music, RW-GM-2) M- US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Fresh Flavor - Morgan, Jane (LP) Mint STEREO US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 21m

More places to buy MORGAN music online Buy MORGAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MORGAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MORGAN Nova Solis ratings distribution

MORGAN Nova Solis reviews

Review by ExittheLemming
3 stars Music is the literature of the heart; it commences where speech ends (Alphonse de Lamartine)

Smarkhand the Golden - For those scholarly and academic types out there (of which I am neither) this 8 minute epic may be based on a poem by James Elroy Flecker called The Golden Journey to Samarkand written circa 1913 (just after he puts the kids to bed) But no, I don't have a clue what Mr Flecker or Morgan are babbling on about, except that Samarkhand just might stand as a (lazy) metaphor for exoticism and wise up, this type of stupefied romanticism was ripe for those woolly heads sliced into the prog basket by revolting punks. (n'est pas?) The piece is very well arranged with good and judicious use of competing meters, dynamic contrasts/timbre and pace together with some mouth watering synth work from Morgan Fisher, who appears to have sold himself rather short with his subsequent stint in the decent but undistinguished Mott the Hoople ? (Everyone has to the pay the rent after all)

I was quite astonished at just how technically accomplished and advanced Mr F's playing and writing is, and those of you with a fondness for analogue synth weirdness, gritty Hammond organ and Usain Bolt piano may well be in hog heaven with this album. (Must dig out my long abandoned Mott the Hoople LP to see if I can catch a glimpse of this turncoat progger)

Unfortunately, this one man jury is still out on the vocals of Tim Staffel, which irritate and delight in equal measure, with his delivery alternating between egomaniacal showmanship and quirky excitability. Yep, our Tim is one of those vocalists blessed with an admirable range, but he cannot bear to let the listener ever forget this for a second. I like his voice very much in the lower to mid range area, but unlike most of the dogs in our neighbourhood, do not care for his tonsilry in the upper registers. At times he comes across as a jollier version of Robert Smith or Kevin Rowland selling fish at Billingsgate Market.

Alone - Vaguely reminiscent of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as if played over different chords, but a very strong song delivered with some restraint by the previously histrionic Staffel, who dispenses with his irritating falsetto conceits as heard on the opening track. The band sensibly douse their fiery bombast on this one, and let a very strong vocal track breathe by accentuating the melody and not overpowering the delicate fingerpicked guitar accompaniment.

War Games - Inside every progger there is a peace emissary just bursting to get out it would seem. Ah, the futility of war (most of which are waged to allow us the right to condemn their stupidity) Lovely dislocated jazzy piano on this one replete with another strong tune before a very skilful transition of pace into the Tonight we ride on Bethlehem section which employs a sloping and languid groove in perfect empathy with Staffel's warbling melody. Thereafter, we encounter a bewildering array of start/stop section writing but Morgan carry off this tricky compositional device admirably. If overdone, this technique can condemn the music to incoherence or sounding contrived, but the band exercise just enough suitable restraint in this area. Lovely snaky bass from Sapsed and I particularly like his tone throughout this record. Gutsy, but neither distorted or flat and woolly (see the 1st two Crimson albums)

Nova Solis - In keeping with symphonic prog's time honoured recipe, this 20 minute monster opens with a suitably bombastic adaptation of a classical piece, re the Planets Suite by Holst. Great fun all round, with synth pyrotechnics flying left, right and centre and buried distantly way back in the bowels of the mix, the sound of the inconsolable sobbing of the composer. At it's conclusion we meet the eerie morse code distress signal as tapped out on a Moog in homage to the latter's Mars, the Bringer of War. Yet more dizzying piano from Fisher which provides some welcome relief from Staffel's affected and wearying bonhomie during the sung section. Even through a ring modulator (as they attempt here) his voice still cannot be cajoled into anything other than mildly annoying. The noodling bass departure and spacey sound collage that follows is entertaining, but strictly atmospheric filler. Strummed acoustic guitar chords introduce a very robust song section, ah this is better lads, please keep it up. This is shaping up to be the highlight of the album and even Timmy boy is a delight on this part. Some very brisk ostinato passages follow which are reminiscent of the instrumental portions of 'Tarkus' and Morgan even preface the Latin flavoured live improv of Aquatarkus as heard on Welcome Back My Friends. However, these are merely reference points, and although the influence is palpable the music is not merely a slavish reproduction, so let's not get too picky here. Perhaps the comparisons to ELP crop up simply because there is no electric guitar on this record ? (or they both have an irritating singer, Go figure)

All the ingredients that go to baking a yummy prog puddy are here in abundance, with liberal garnishes of ELP, Argent, Greenslade, Yes and all the other celebrity chefs you can shake a ribbon controller at. Although many of the compositional structures and instrumentation employed do ape the gatefold masterpieces of yore, the music itself is very accomplished and certainly on a par with much of the output from that golden age of caped young men in tight pants.

There is a prevailing tendency to appraise Nova Solis as though it were a rather cold and calculated foray into the then burgeoning prog marketplace by some unscrupulous musos and record executives, but I can honestly say that such skulduggery cannot be deduced from the very fine music that is contained therein

(They mean it man, so who cares)

Send comments to ExittheLemming (BETA) | Report this review (#197747) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 08, 2009

Review by Atavachron
4 stars

Morgan Fisher is a genius.

There, I said it. I mean, how else could he make some of the most inventive and interesting prog rock on the planet and end up in his late 50s writing music for commercials in Japan, and getting a pretty penny for it I would hope. Sounds like a good gig to me, and a good life lived for this king of B-list prog, master of the sideshow and winner of countless Best Music No One Really Cares About awards. I don't know, maybe Fisher's playfulness appeals to me (something usually missing from today's prog). Or maybe his truly impressive musical range and compositional gifts are just too hard to ignore despite the funhouse feeling on this debut from 1972. And then there's the spectacle. All I know is Nova Solis is spilling over with atmosphere and imagery, and the fact is that Morgan Fisher gave more on his records than many of the bigger names of the time. It's an album wherein, as John Lennon said of Mr. Kite; "You should be able to smell the peanuts".

Solis is an extravaganza of what had become possible with the rock format, a parade of idea after idea passing like giant floats, each eagerly waiting in line to be revealed. This is prog when things were closer to the wild west, with as many snakeoil salesmen and roaming criminals as reliable merchants and ranchers. But among the scoundrels, Morgan Fisher and songwriting partner Tim Staffell were legit. Simply put, this LP was the sh*t-- the absolutely real thing, authentic, strong as aged goat cheese and stinking of a far off place where no good things were happening. It's what the guys who have heard it all and know classic era prog inside & out quietly listen to when no one else is around. Every aging, coffee-swilling cigarette smoker with a bad hankerin' for prog and a tragically steady paycheck who's collection from Britain between 1969 and 1979 is larger than that thing they launched the space shuttle from will deny to their death this is the godsmack of second tier symphonic prog. But it is and they know it.

Similarities are hard to peg for these guys, it was such an original group. Certainly the brilliant descriptive and incidental work of Raymond Scott is apparent in Fisher's material, as well as Syd Barrett's sense of adventure, the circuses of Dave Greenslade and maybe a whiff of Zappa. 'Samarkhand the Golden' is wonderful vintage stuff enhanced liberally by Fisher's VCS 3 synth, Hohner & DK 1, Mo Bacon's eager drums and bassist Rob Sapsed doing a heroic job enhancing Fisher and Staffell's arrangement. Derivative 'Alone' is a miss but 'War Games' rocks, Bacon tearing up his drums, Staffell's vaguely biblical lyric and giddy vocal, and Fisher terrific on all number of keys from a Steinway Grand to a Hammond to a Spinet as he knits up the background, always sure to never let a good moment go to waste. Holst's 'Jupiter' from The Planets starts the second half, the nine part title piece. It's not long before things start melting apart into sound effects and space sickness but Morgan picks it up and pumps out the prog; mean organ flurries, unexpected jazzplay, piano lines merging into squealing synths, descriptive mood-setting, carousels, calliopes, histrionic dramaturgy, and more Holst at the end.

A one of a kind release by a band that epitomised the working prog musician and what a few inspired guys could do with some good equipment. Someday along your listening journey, Morgan Fisher's work deserves your attention. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But soon, and for the rest of your life.

Send comments to Atavachron (BETA) | Report this review (#250657) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 14, 2009

Review by The Doctor
4 stars I purchased this album primarily because I wanted to see what Tim Staffel got up to after leaving Smile. As a big Smile fan (as big a fan as one can be for a group that released only 6 songs clocking in for a total of less than 30 minutes), I had hoped for a bit of that Smile sound in this album. I wasn't quite sure what to expect of keyboardist Fisher, as I knew he would later go on to Mott the Hoople, and although a fan of that band, I wasn't sure how much in terms of "chops" the guy had. I was disappointed on neither account.

The vocal portions are quite reminiscent of the Smile/early Queen sound, especially on the Staffel penned "Alone" and on the chorus of "War Games" and of course on the old Smile tune "Earth" which made its way into the middle of the epic "Nova Solis". As others have said, the instrumental work reminds me a lot of ELP, that is bombastic, pretentious and a whole lot of fun. Fisher tackles the keys as ably as Emerson, and the bassist and drummer (Robert Sapsed and Mo Bacon respectively) are more than capable of keeping up and providing some over the top playing to go along with the over the top keyboard work of Fisher.

The epic "Nova Solis" is actually three songs, "Floating", the previously mentioned "Earth" and "May I Remember" connected with interwoven instrumental passages composed by Fisher (think Tarkus here). "Alone" is more of an accoustic song and definitely reminds of Smile, and a bit of the more accoustic ELP style. "War Games" has a bouncy, rhythmic piano during the verses, and the choruses are definitely Smile or early Queen in their sound. The opening track, "Samarkhand the Golden" kicks things off with ample amounts of pomp. This is an easy 4-star album, a great edition to anyone's prog collection. If you are a fan of Smile or early-Queen and ELP, add a star, as this is essential listening.

Send comments to The Doctor (BETA) | Report this review (#278307) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2010

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
3 stars This was Morgan's debut album, released in 1972. Along with Morgan Fisher (keys) were Tim Staffell (acoustic guitar/vocals, always to be remembered as the singer in Smile which was the pre-Queen outfit), bassist Bob Sapsed and drummer Maurice Bacon. Listening to this album now, for the first time on CD, it is interesting to hear just how similar this is in many ways to ELP. Morgan shows himself to be a fine keyboard player who loved to use his moog and mellotron whenever possible. While there are very complex pieces here (the closing title cut is over twenty minutes long), there is even a Greg Lake?style acoustic number "Alone", which Tim apparently performed at his audition with the band and got himself the gig. Although parts of it do sound quite dated, it is an album that I think any lover of classic ELP will also enjoy. It is different enough not to be called copyist, while at the same time still maintaining certain similarities. Anybody approaching this album for the first time will be pleasantly surprised. Although there are no bonus cuts, there is plenty of extra information and photographs, as one would expect from an Angel Air release.

Originally appeared in Feedback #60

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#966160) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2013

4 stars The only thing that strikes me as odd is that Morgan has had to come to Italy to record (and published) this album. Why, then, as too many bands (not just between RCA's bands) has disappeared as a band. Considering the high quality of music presented can only regret that this band has produced ... (read more)

Report this review (#627969) | Posted by 1967/ 1976 | Tuesday, February 07, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 4,5 stars - This debut of the obscure prog outfit Morgan is perhaps the best prog I've ever heard, and believe me, I know more about prog than any of you out there. The music is very dominated by synths (in fact, no electric guitars can be heard on this album), especially the VCS-3, and Morgan ... (read more)

Report this review (#126389) | Posted by JackBH | Wednesday, June 20, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MORGAN "Nova Solis"