THE LAST STEPS

Collectors/fans only

Buy GENTLE GIANT Music
Live, released in 1996

1. Convenience (3:47)
2. All Through the Night (4:19)
3. Free Hand (8:15)
4. Knots (3:31)
5. Playing The Game (5:01)
6. Memories of Old Days (8:31)
7. Giant For A Day (5:24)
8. Inside Out (6:05)
9. It's Not Imagination (4:11)
10. Underground (3:42)
11. Five-man drum bash (7:04)
12. Band intro (2:11)
13. For Nobody (5:43)
14. Advent of Panurge (6:35)
15. Number One (6:42)

Total time: 81:01
This is a previously unreleased live recording of Gentle Giant's last concert in the USA, at the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles, California, in 1980. It is an official UK release from Red Steel Music, distributed by Terrapin.

Search GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps lyrics

Search GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps tabs

-Gary Green / all guitars
-Kerry Minnear / keyboards, vocals
-Derek Shulman / vocals
-Ray Shulman / bass, acoustic guitars, backing vocals
-John Weathers / drums, backing vocals

and to Bj-1 for the last updates

GENTLE GIANT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps Music

The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)
Alucard 2014
In A Glass HouseIn A Glass House
Three Friends/OctopusThree Friends/Octopus
1-2-3-4-GO! 2013
OctopusOctopus
Alucard 2011
Free HandFree Hand
Alucard Records 2010
I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980
Box set · Import
BGO Records 2012
Gentle Giant - Live in Essen Germany 1971 Vinyl LP US $38.05 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Gentle Giant CD on Vertigo label - USA copy - 1970 recordings US $4.97 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant The Power and The Glory LP+7" Vinyl RE US $59.99 Buy It Now 9h 44m
JOHNNY CASH Gentle Giant Of Country LP EXCELLENT CONDITION VINYL RECORD Same ST US $19.88 Buy It Now 10h 9m
GENTLE GIANT CD INTERVIEW 35TH **Saw-Cut** US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 32m
Giant For A Day: 35th Anniversary Edition [Remaster] by Gentle Giant (CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 12h 23m
Interview [35th Anniversary Edition] [Remaster] by Gentle Giant (CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Simon Dupree The Big Sound JAPAN CD Gentle Giant US $58.00 Buy It Now 12h 41m
Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste [CD New] US $37.99 Buy It Now 14h 18m
GENTLE GIANT - Three Friends LP (RARE UK Import on VERTIGO w/Gatefold Cover) US $45.00 Buy It Now 16h 41m
GENTLE GIANT IN A GLASS HOUSE LP WWA ORIGINAL PROG PSYCH US $40.00 Buy It Now 16h 55m
GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool Live - UK Double LP - Prog Psych Simon Dupree Ma US $16.99 Buy It Now 18h 13m
Gentle Giant 70s ROCK PSYCH DJ 45 Words from the Wise Mono / Stereo US $9.98 Buy It Now 19h 58m
GENTLE GIANT - UNDER CONSTRUCTION NEW CD US $30.44 Buy It Now 21h 5m
Free Hand by Gentle Giant (CD, Feb-1993, One Way Records) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory on Capitol Records St 11337 US $14.99 Buy It Now 21h 38m
GENTLE GIANT ~ OCTOPUS ~ VERTIGO SWIRL UK LP 1972 ~ 1/1 2/1 FIRST PRESS ~ PROG US $654.95 Buy It Now 21h 50m
GENTLE GIANT "Civilian" Columbia JC-36341 Progressive, Hard Rock 1980 VG++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 43m
Gentle Giant - Acquring The Taste Vinyl Record US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - In'terview Vinyl Record US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Freehand Vinyl Recordsrd US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Live ORIGINAL Vinyl 1977 ENGLAND playing the fool MINT/MINT LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gryphon "Midnight Mushrumps" LP Transatlantic UK Press Prog Yes Gentle Giant US $9.27 [5 bids]
GENTLE GIANT 'I LOST MY HEAD' (The Chrysalis Years : 1975-1980) 4 CD SET (2012) US $26.45 Buy It Now 1 day
Kindred Willis - Gentle Giant Of The Tenor CD US $19.30 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool CD Remastered NEW US $16.56 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Playing The Fool [CD New] US $11.70 Buy It Now 1 day
Don Williams - Gentle Giant (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $2.82 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT 'FREE HAND' US IMPORT LP US $41.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant LP 1978 Giant for a Day VG ++ US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT Octopus CD BRAND NEW US $16.83 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT Gentle Giant S/T Self-Titled CD BRAND NEW US $16.82 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT Acquiring The Taste CD BRAND NEW US $16.81 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT-ENDLESS LIFE CD NEW US $16.59 Buy It Now 1 day
Hot Shots 2LP compilation. Gentle Giant, TYA, Robin Trower, UFO, Blondie etc. Ex US $3.30 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant:Octopus Promo Sleeve USA Version[Japan Mini-LP no cd gryphon yes QX US $71.25 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - ROME 1974 US $16.56 Buy It Now 1 day
New: GENTLE GIANT - Giant for a Day! CD US $5.98 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT THREE FRIENDS VERTIGO SWIRL 1st Press LP UK Original Rock Prog US $71.85 [10 bids]
12" Gentle Giant "Free Hand" Vinyl Record ST-11428 Capitol EMI US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT**ARTISTICALLY CRYME**2 CD SET US $6.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill-Ophelia/Van Der Graaf Generator/Strawbs/PFM/Gentle Giant/Eloy/ELP US $25.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant Playing The Cleveland Live 1975 CD NEW US $9.93 Buy It Now 1 day
1973 UK WWA 002 - Gentle Giant - In A Glass House US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Excellent Vinyl - 1977 ST-11696 - Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
YUSEF LATEEF The Gentle Giant ATLANTIC LP US $8.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant GIANT FOR A DAY LP USA Capitol Records VG+/M- US $7.97 [0 bids]
CD Gentle Giant Acquiring the Taste Japan Pressing (1994) Vertigo PHCR-4202 US $19.95 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT 1ST S/T CD MINI LP SLEEVE!! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant Acquiring the Taste Vertigo VEL1005 gatefd lp prog usa w/inner rare US $75.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT SELF-TITLED 1ST LP 1973 RE-PRESS VERTIGO RARE CAT NUM 6360020 (G) US $14.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - In A Glass House - 1973 - CD - 24-bit REMASTERED - LIKE NEW US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - The Power And The Glory - 1974 - CD - 24-bit REMASTERED US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Free Hand - 1975 - CD - 24-bit REMASTERED - LIKE NEW US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - The Missing Piece - 1977 - CD - BONUS - REMASTERED US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Giant For A Day! - 1978 - enhanced CD - REMASTERED US $7.99 [0 bids]
Ancient Grease Women and Children First Mercury SR 61305 Shrink Gentle Giant US $75.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - S/T JAPAN CD PHCR-4201 SEALED! prog US $3.68 [4 bids]
Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste JAPAN CD PHCR-4202 SEALED! prog US $4.13 [4 bids]
Gentle Giant - Octopus JAPAN CD PHCR-4203 SEALED! prog US $4.74 [5 bids]
Gentle Giant:Giant s/t 1st Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd yes gryphon Q US $80.75 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant:Three (3) Friends Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd gryphon Q US $57.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant:Free Hand Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd gryphon bjh Q US $57.00 Buy It Now 2 days
In a Glass House by Gentle Giant (CD, Jan-2010, DRA) US $7.17 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT FREE HAND LP 1975 ORIGINAL GERMAN PRESSING US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - CIVILIAN - 1980 - TERRAPIN - 1st press US $58.03 Buy It Now 2 days
Three Friends [Digipak] by Gentle Giant (CD, Sep-2011, DRA) US $12.85 Buy It Now 2 days
In'terview by Gentle Giant (CD, Feb-2010, DRA) US $7.18 Buy It Now 2 days
The Power and the Glory by Gentle Giant (CD, Jan-2010, Dra) US $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - The Last Giant Step CD live New York 24/5/1980 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - In A Palesport House ( Live ) CD 2002 NEW / SEALED US $4.96 Buy It Now 2 days
US press INFINITY same title CD Gentle Giant CARAVAN Yes PFM 1996 NEW Sealed US $24.88 Buy It Now 2 days
VINYL 7" SINGLE - Gentle Giant - i'm turning around - chs 2160 US $11.59 Buy It Now 2 days
RENAISSANCE Live At Carnegie Hall DOUBLE LP Strawbs Gentle Giant Tull / Sire '76 US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT USA DJ 7" Capitol, SPOOKY BOOGIE~WORDS FROM THE WISE,orange vinyl US $24.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant "Interview" 1976 LP Capitol Green Label SN-16047 (Re-issue)-EX/VG+ US $15.73 Buy It Now 2 days
POWER AND THE GLORY BY GENTLE GIANT (CD) US $19.82 Buy It Now 2 days
YUSEF LATEEF - THE GENTLE GIANT - 7567813802 US $11.37 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant, Gentle Giant, New & Sealed, 7 track cd album, Vertigo Records US $6.62 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH GENTLE GIANT BOWL- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.80 Buy It Now 2 days
CD-Gentle Giant-In a Glass House 70's UK psych prog US $12.99 [0 bids]
Johnny Cash - Gentle Giant Of Country Music - Sun - 6641161 (2 x LP) US $3.30 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Missing Pieces vinyl LP 1977 Capitol Records VG+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT "Gentle Giant 1970\ Acquiring the Taste 1971" 2 in 1 CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Live in Santa Monica 1975 [Remaster] by Gentle Giant (CD, Jul-2005, Glass House) US $11.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
YUSEF LATEEF LP THE GENTLE GIANT - ATLANTIC SD 1602 - CLEAN COPY US $0.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Freehand CD (35th Anniversary Edition) Brand New US $12.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece & Giant For A Day CD (BGO Records) Brand New US $12.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - The Power And the Glory CD (35th Anniversary) Brand New US $12.00 [0 bids]
The Power and the Glory by Gentle Giant (CD, Jan-2010, Dra) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Interview [35th Anniversary Edition] [Remaster] by Gentle Giant (MONO) US $17.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - GENTLE GIANT (LIVE) 1977 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant German Press 45 Give It Back/Empty City E- Condition US $5.60 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant 1st LP Vertigo Swirl 6360020 UK Import gatefold US $45.00 [0 bids]
The Power and the Glory [35th Anniversary Edition] [Remaster] by Gentle Giant... US $6.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Vintage Gentle Giant LP Record, "Interview", 1976, Capitol Records US $16.95 Buy It Now 3 days
IZZ - CRUSH OF NIGHT - SEALED MAY 2012 GOLD PLATED USA PROG GENTLE GIANT GUEST US $17.39 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy GENTLE GIANT music online Buy GENTLE GIANT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENTLE GIANT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps ratings distribution

GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps reviews

Review by soundsweird
1 stars I bought this CD a few years ago at the now-defunct Tower Records of Austin, TX. Always ready to snap up anything by GG, I expected another great live album, much like "Playing The Fool", "Out of the Woods", or "Out of the Fire". The sound quality is, unfortunately, abominable. Fortunately, I talked the Tower employee into taking it back as defective. You've got to be really desperate for more live GG to bother with this dreck.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#6304) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars Excellent performance even though audio quality is poor . Nevermind!

I have collected many Gentle Giant bootlegs even though I know that most of them the record quality is really bad. I don't really know I keep buying it at secondary market - because I cannot afford bootleg retail price which typically very high and unreasonable. Lucky I live in a country where most people do not like bootleg records except my die hard Led Zeppelin friend - Tatan A Taufik who has more than 150 collections of LZ bootlegs. Unbelievable!

This "The Last Steps" by Gentle Giant is basically a previously unreleased live recording of Gentle Giant's last concert in the USA, at the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles, California, in 1980. It is an official UK release from Red Steel Music, distributed by Terrapin. But, even though it's tagged as "official", the audio quality is nothing different with my other bootlegs like "Interview" in concert etc. I really do not care about audio this time, although I have never claimed myself as a die-hard fan of Gentle Giant. If you ask me, I am a die-hard fan of Marillion under Fish era full stop. But it does not mean that I stop my musical boundaries only to those symphonic or neo prog kinds of music - as you have seen how diverse my reviews have been. In fact, you can find many prog met reviews that I have posted right here at this wonderful site - a site of a free world democracy: you can say any opinion about prog music here.

Let's have a look on this album by Gentle Giant. All songs presented here are truly excellent. Do you still remember my review on "Civilian" which I praised highly their hard rock ever exploration in "All Through the Night" ? Oh man .. right here with this bootleg the band plays it brilliantly and very lively! I do not really care about the sonic quality but this song does deliver GREAT mood - very uplifting mood, really! If you like this track, I am pretty damn sure that you would agree with me that this live version is very dynamic. It seemed like the band played it wholeheartedly.

The next track is a title track "Free Hand" which is also performed wonderfully by the band. I can see the energy the band members indicated during the concert. Having seen the DVD "Giant on The Box" I am pretty sure that the band members have done great on stage. I feel like I am now watching them alive by imagining those gigs recorded at the DVD. "Knots" is also excellent.

Under "Playing The Game" (5:01) the band gives some more improvisations by letting guitar to perform longer solo. Well, I cannot elaborate song by song review. For me is very sure: if you love the band, you would definitely purchase this bootleg regardless the sound quality. It's bootleg, anyway, what do you expect! Oh by the way, I need to stress the performance of "Inside Out" which sounds really great amidst audio quality.

So, if I give this with two stars, it does not mean that this is a bad album at all but it's only DEDICATED to die hard fans. If you are not, you should not purchase this album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157433) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2008

4 stars A valuable edition to any Gentle Giant collection. 1st, - the sound is good to great, certainly not of bad bootleg quality of some other Gentle Giant recordings released - think a little less quality than Live at the King Biscuit Flower hour 2nd - these are probably the few live recordings ... (read more)

Report this review (#227880) | Posted by SMSM | Wednesday, July 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Allright, this CD has not such a sound quality as for example PLAYING THE FOOL or BBC RADIO 1 IN CONCERT, but it is not as worse as for example such bootlegs like ARTISTICALLY CRIME or ENDLESS LIFE. However, this review should be about THE LAST STEPS and not about any other album. First I want ... (read more)

Report this review (#96777) | Posted by Badabec | Thursday, November 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I think the previous reviewers have put this album in the wrong context. Sure, GG made som awful albums starting with The Missing Piece, after lots of pressure from their record label. But this last gig proves that they were still Gentle Giant. Most should find the post Missing Piece material so ... (read more)

Report this review (#84284) | Posted by markanini | Thursday, July 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I purchased this from a used CD store, so I thought this was a bootleg when Ifirst listened to it. The sound quality on this live CD is terrible , so this is for the GG collectors only. Their is a lot of distortion on the recording and the higher notes seem cut off at times (Maybe the conversi ... (read more)

Report this review (#62722) | Posted by | Sunday, January 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I think this is an interesting document of Gentle Giant live, when the band was fading out. Most songs came from the much hated "Civilian" album, which is, IMHO, one of the first prog-metal albums in all time (which doesn't save it; "Civilian" is a boring, uninspired record). The sound quality ... (read more)

Report this review (#40366) | Posted by M. B. Zapelini | Tuesday, July 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The sound quality is rather poor, but the band offers us a dynamic and interesting live set in their last days. A interesting mix of old and recent songs, much more easy listenable and popish. Anyway, they deserve our time spent hearing this live album. ... (read more)

Report this review (#6305) | Posted by Melos | Thursday, March 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENTLE GIANT "The Last Steps "