THE LAST STEPS

Collectors/fans only

Buy GENTLE GIANT Music
Live, released in 1996

1. Convenience (3:47)
2. All Through the Night (4:19)
3. Free Hand (8:15)
4. Knots (3:31)
5. Playing The Game (5:01)
6. Memories of Old Days (8:31)
7. Giant For A Day (5:24)
8. Inside Out (6:05)
9. It's Not Imagination (4:11)
10. Underground (3:42)
11. Five-man drum bash (7:04)
12. Band intro (2:11)
13. For Nobody (5:43)
14. Advent of Panurge (6:35)
15. Number One (6:42)

Total time: 81:01
This is a previously unreleased live recording of Gentle Giant's last concert in the USA, at the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles, California, in 1980. It is an official UK release from Red Steel Music, distributed by Terrapin.

Search GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps lyrics

Search GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps tabs

-Gary Green / all guitars
-Kerry Minnear / keyboards, vocals
-Derek Shulman / vocals
-Ray Shulman / bass, acoustic guitars, backing vocals
-John Weathers / drums, backing vocals

and to Bj-1 for the last updates

GENTLE GIANT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps Music

The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)
Alucard 2014
I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980
Box set · Import
EMI Import 2012
Free HandFree Hand
Acquiring the TasteAcquiring the Taste
Fontana Island 1990
OctopusOctopus
Alucard 2011
In a Glass House: 35th Anniversary EditionIn a Glass House: 35th Anniversary Edition
Extra tracks
Alucard Records 2005
Playing the Fool: The Official LivePlaying the Fool: The Official Live
Power & Glory: 35th Anniversary EditionPower & Glory: 35th Anniversary Edition
Extra tracks
Alucard Records 2005
In A Glass HouseIn A Glass House
Alucard Records 2010
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents Gentle GiantKing Biscuit Flower Hour Presents Gentle Giant
King Biscuit Flower Hour Records/Sony BMG 1998
GENTLE GIANT The Power And The Glory ORIGINAL vinyl 1974 WWA ENGLAND MINT/MINT US $135.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
gentle giant - gargantua essen 1971 US $39.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant : Live In Rome 1974 CD (2011) US $11.39 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GENTLE GIANT THE MISSING PIECE RARE JAPAN LP UK PROG US $29.98 Buy It Now 6h 17m
GENTLE GIANT CD INTERVIEW 35TH **Saw-Cut** US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
GENTLE GIANT - THREE FRIENDS - JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD US $58.50 [0 bids]
07464316492 Gentle Giant ?- Three Friends Label Columbia ?- CK 31649 CD ANOMALY US $11.40 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Gentle Giant - Free Hand [Vinyl New] US $27.89 Buy It Now 9h 8m
A REFLECTION by Various Artists Inspired by Gentle Giant (CD-2008) New US $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 16m
GENTLE GIANT - S / T LP + BOOKLET N. MINT!!! ITALY / TRACKS FROM 1ST 4 ALBUMS US $21.19 Buy It Now 9h 42m
GENTLE GIANT - FREE HAND NEW VINYL US $34.74 Buy It Now 10h 41m
GENTLE GIANT: Free Hand [Slipcase] [35th Anniversary Edition] US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Gentle Giant "In a Glass House" LP NM Rare Russian Press US $12.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT THE OFFICIAL LIVE PLAYING THE FOOL 2X VINYL LP org.1977 prog/rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Civilian (Chrysalis) (Rock/Alt) Lp US $9.77 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece (Chrysalis) (Rock/Alt) Lp US $9.77 [0 bids]
THE PROGRESSIVE ROCKERS-Dixie Dregs-ELP-Gentle Giant-Cd US $10.29 Buy It Now 12h 20m
GENTLE GIANT In a Glass House WWA 002 UK 1973 Vinyl Lp Ex US $31.43 Buy It Now 13h
GENTLE GIANT**OCTOPUS**CD US $5.55 Buy It Now 13h 9m
GENTLE GIANT - EDGE OF TWILIGHT NEW CD US $29.83 Buy It Now 14h 50m
GENTLE GIANT IN A PALESPORT HOUSE ULTRA RARE SEALED CD! US $31.30 Buy It Now 15h 34m
GENTLE GIANT - UNDER CONSTRUCTION [GENTLE GIANT] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $22.27 Buy It Now 15h 59m
Yusef Lateef THE GENTLE GIANT ATLANTIC SD 1620 Stereo US $12.00 Buy It Now 16h
Vintage Gentle Giant Octopus Vinyl Record Vertigo 33-1/3 1972 England 6360080 UK US $249.99 Buy It Now 16h 34m
The Power and the Glory [35th Anniversary Edition] [Remaster] by Gentle Giant... US $3.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - LIVE IN STOCKHOLM 75 (DLX) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $26.16 Buy It Now 19h
Gentle Giant - Live Playing The Fool 2LP 1977 Prog Rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Interview (Import) US $10.00 Buy It Now 19h 28m
Gentle Giant / Giant For A Day US Press LP UK Prog Capitol Records SW-11813 US $11.99 Buy It Now 20h 16m
Gentle Giant Playing The Fool Edits Promo-Only USA LP Capitol Records SPRO-8558 US $39.99 Buy It Now 20h 29m
GENTLE GIANT 1ST S/T CD MINI LP SLEEVE!! US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Octopus LP Vintage Record Album 1973 US $48.95 Buy It Now 21h 2m
GENTLE GIANT acquiring the taste VERTIGO US LP VEL-1005 MASTERDISC prog psych US $34.20 Buy It Now 21h 15m
GENTLE GIANT playing the fool official live US ORIGINAL 2lp LP prog psych  US $10.26 Buy It Now 21h 15m
GENTLE GIANT in'terview CAPITOL US LP #ST-11532 psych prog rock  US $7.31 Buy It Now 21h 15m
GENTLE GIANT the missing piece US LP CAPITOL ST-11696 psych prog rock in SHRINK  US $22.74 Buy It Now 21h 15m
GENTLE GIANT free hand US ORIGINAL LP prog psych rock VG+ US $10.26 Buy It Now 21h 15m
Yusef Lateef-The Gentle Giant-LP Promo 1972 Atlantic US $14.99 Buy It Now 23h 12m
GENTLE GIANT - THREE FRIENDS NEW CD US $23.23 Buy It Now 23h 20m
[LP] Gentle Giant,The Power And The Glory (Wwa) 1 St UK US $47.99 Buy It Now 23h 45m
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant/Acquiring The Taste CD US $21.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Giant steps...the first five years double vinyl LP in excellent++ US $40.78 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Edge Of Twilight [CD New] US $23.42 Buy It Now 1 day
Live in Rome 1974 by Gentle Giant (CD, Oct-2000, Blueprint (USA)) US $14.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $15.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $14.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant : The Power & the Glory CD US $13.44 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT~RARE SEALED LP~MISSING PIECE~1977 USA 1ST PRESS~OUT/PRINT~NOT 180G US $9.99 [1 bids]
GENTLE GIANT~RARE SEALED LP~POWER & THE GLORY~1974 USA 1ST PRESS~OUT OF PRINT US $11.50 [2 bids]
Under Construction by Gentle Giant 2CD Box 44 Tracks Limited 1st Edition 1997 US $25.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant / Three Friends US $4.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Live Playing The Fool 2x LPs ROCK CAPITOL Gatefold RARE RED LABEL US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT,SAME.UK 1970 1ST VERTIGO LARGE SWIRL 6360 020 GATEFOLD SLEEVE EX.EX US $239.77 [13 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - The Power and The Glory 1974 WWA Records WWA-010 UK Pressing RARE US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - In A Glass House - '73 UK WWA prog LP- die-cut window cover - NM US $24.99 [1 bids]
GENTLE GIANT,OCTOPUS.UK 1972 ORIGINAL VERTIGO SWIRL LABEL 6360 080 GATEFOLD NICE US $58.72 [3 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - GIANT FOR A DAY - LP Capitol EMI SW-11813 US $9.75 Buy It Now 1 day
EX+ UK CHRYSALIS LP - GENTLE GIANT - THE MISSING PIECE US $16.29 [0 bids]
EX+ UK CHRYSALIS LP - GENTLE GIANT - FREE HAND US $16.29 [1 bids]
Gentle Giant - Giant Steps...the first 5 years double LP UK IMPORT VERTIGO LABEL US $21.12 [0 bids]
rock prog FOCUS 3 LP 1972 gentle giant caravan yes van der graaf generator nekta US $4.89 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - THREE FRIENDS - COLUMBIA RADIO COPY - 1ST ISSUE - 1A/1B - VG+ US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant The Missing Piece ST 11696 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Hot Shots 2LP compilation. Gentle Giant, TYA, Robin Trower, UFO, Blondie etc. Ex US $3.25 [0 bids]
Power & The Glory (Mixed by Steven Wilson) [7/22] by Gentle Giant (CD,... US $9.88 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - OCTOPUS [GENTLE GIANT] [803341369436] - NEW CD US $9.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Legends of Rock, Progressive: Rick Wakeman,Gentle Giant, Dixie Dregs,Renaissance US $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Giant for a Day, Gentle Giant, Very Good US $6.98 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT-THE MISSING PEACE,OFFICIAL LIVE DOUBLE LP-ROCK-3 LP LOT US $14.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Freehand CD (35th Anniversary Edition) Brand New US $12.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece & Giant For A Day CD (BGO Records) Brand New US $12.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - The Power And the Glory CD (35th Anniversary) Brand New US $12.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Octopus US $20.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - In A Glass House - 1973 - CD - 24-bit REMASTERED - LIKE NEW US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - The Power And The Glory - 1974 - CD - 24-bit REMASTERED US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Free Hand - 1975 - CD - 24-bit REMASTERED - LIKE NEW US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - The Missing Piece - 1977 - CD - BONUS - REMASTERED US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Giant For A Day! - 1978 - enhanced CD - REMASTERED US $7.99 [0 bids]
CD Gentle Giant Acquiring the Taste Japan Pressing (1994) Vertigo PHCR-4202 US $19.95 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT "Civilian" Columbia JC-36341 Progressive, Hard Rock 1980 VG++ US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Promo Prog Rock LP: Gentle Giant ~ Acquiring The Taste ~ Vertigo 1005 US $40.00 [0 bids]
Wlp GENTLE GIANT / CIVILIAN JC 36341 1A/1E NM promo US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW ~ GENTLE GIANT - THE MISSING PIECE ~ MUSIC CD US $6.29 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - "I'm Turning Around" 1977 1st US 7" WL PROMO ONLY - Stereo/Mono US $17.88 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - PLAYING THE FOOL: THE OFFICIAL LIVE NEW CD US $17.72 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT Free Hand UK 180g remastered vinyl LP SEALED / NEW US $27.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant Out Of The Woods The BBC Sessions Cd FUEL2000 2001 New! Sealed!! US $203.49 Buy It Now 2 days
1975 - GENTLE GIANT - Free Hand - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.66 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - Live In Stockholm '75 (Deluxe Digi-Pack-NEW) US $11.40 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - KING ALFREDS COLLEGE 1971 - NEW CD US $20.31 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT OCTOPUS COLUMBIA KC 32022 VINYL LP US $12.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory (Steven Wilson Mix) (NEW CD) US $25.67 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT IN A GLASS HOUSE WWA 002 VINYL NM NICE COVER NICE SLEEVE 1ST PRESS US $35.95 [0 bids]
YUSEF LATEEF The Gentle Giant JAP WEA NO OBI - FAST POST CD US $8.14 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Octopus 2C 2C Matrix US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
FADED GLORY ~UK PRIVATE WELSH WALES ROCK LP 1978 ~ MAN GENTLE GIANT EYES OF BLUE US $570.89 Buy It Now 2 days
YUSEF LATEEF: The Gentle Giant (soul vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Interview 1976 LP Vinyl Capitol Green Press SN-16047 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant, Gentle Giant, New & Sealed, 7 track cd album, Vertigo Records US $6.51 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Vinyl In A Glass House WWA 002 ORIGINAL 1973 ENGLAND MINT US $135.00 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy GENTLE GIANT music online Buy GENTLE GIANT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENTLE GIANT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps ratings distribution

GENTLE GIANT The Last Steps reviews

Review by soundsweird
1 stars I bought this CD a few years ago at the now-defunct Tower Records of Austin, TX. Always ready to snap up anything by GG, I expected another great live album, much like "Playing The Fool", "Out of the Woods", or "Out of the Fire". The sound quality is, unfortunately, abominable. Fortunately, I talked the Tower employee into taking it back as defective. You've got to be really desperate for more live GG to bother with this dreck.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#6304) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars Excellent performance even though audio quality is poor . Nevermind!

I have collected many Gentle Giant bootlegs even though I know that most of them the record quality is really bad. I don't really know I keep buying it at secondary market - because I cannot afford bootleg retail price which typically very high and unreasonable. Lucky I live in a country where most people do not like bootleg records except my die hard Led Zeppelin friend - Tatan A Taufik who has more than 150 collections of LZ bootlegs. Unbelievable!

This "The Last Steps" by Gentle Giant is basically a previously unreleased live recording of Gentle Giant's last concert in the USA, at the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles, California, in 1980. It is an official UK release from Red Steel Music, distributed by Terrapin. But, even though it's tagged as "official", the audio quality is nothing different with my other bootlegs like "Interview" in concert etc. I really do not care about audio this time, although I have never claimed myself as a die-hard fan of Gentle Giant. If you ask me, I am a die-hard fan of Marillion under Fish era full stop. But it does not mean that I stop my musical boundaries only to those symphonic or neo prog kinds of music - as you have seen how diverse my reviews have been. In fact, you can find many prog met reviews that I have posted right here at this wonderful site - a site of a free world democracy: you can say any opinion about prog music here.

Let's have a look on this album by Gentle Giant. All songs presented here are truly excellent. Do you still remember my review on "Civilian" which I praised highly their hard rock ever exploration in "All Through the Night" ? Oh man .. right here with this bootleg the band plays it brilliantly and very lively! I do not really care about the sonic quality but this song does deliver GREAT mood - very uplifting mood, really! If you like this track, I am pretty damn sure that you would agree with me that this live version is very dynamic. It seemed like the band played it wholeheartedly.

The next track is a title track "Free Hand" which is also performed wonderfully by the band. I can see the energy the band members indicated during the concert. Having seen the DVD "Giant on The Box" I am pretty sure that the band members have done great on stage. I feel like I am now watching them alive by imagining those gigs recorded at the DVD. "Knots" is also excellent.

Under "Playing The Game" (5:01) the band gives some more improvisations by letting guitar to perform longer solo. Well, I cannot elaborate song by song review. For me is very sure: if you love the band, you would definitely purchase this bootleg regardless the sound quality. It's bootleg, anyway, what do you expect! Oh by the way, I need to stress the performance of "Inside Out" which sounds really great amidst audio quality.

So, if I give this with two stars, it does not mean that this is a bad album at all but it's only DEDICATED to die hard fans. If you are not, you should not purchase this album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157433) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2008

4 stars A valuable edition to any Gentle Giant collection. 1st, - the sound is good to great, certainly not of bad bootleg quality of some other Gentle Giant recordings released - think a little less quality than Live at the King Biscuit Flower hour 2nd - these are probably the few live recordings ... (read more)

Report this review (#227880) | Posted by SMSM | Wednesday, July 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Allright, this CD has not such a sound quality as for example PLAYING THE FOOL or BBC RADIO 1 IN CONCERT, but it is not as worse as for example such bootlegs like ARTISTICALLY CRIME or ENDLESS LIFE. However, this review should be about THE LAST STEPS and not about any other album. First I want ... (read more)

Report this review (#96777) | Posted by Badabec | Thursday, November 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I think the previous reviewers have put this album in the wrong context. Sure, GG made som awful albums starting with The Missing Piece, after lots of pressure from their record label. But this last gig proves that they were still Gentle Giant. Most should find the post Missing Piece material so ... (read more)

Report this review (#84284) | Posted by markanini | Thursday, July 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I purchased this from a used CD store, so I thought this was a bootleg when Ifirst listened to it. The sound quality on this live CD is terrible , so this is for the GG collectors only. Their is a lot of distortion on the recording and the higher notes seem cut off at times (Maybe the conversi ... (read more)

Report this review (#62722) | Posted by | Sunday, January 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I think this is an interesting document of Gentle Giant live, when the band was fading out. Most songs came from the much hated "Civilian" album, which is, IMHO, one of the first prog-metal albums in all time (which doesn't save it; "Civilian" is a boring, uninspired record). The sound quality ... (read more)

Report this review (#40366) | Posted by M. B. Zapelini | Tuesday, July 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The sound quality is rather poor, but the band offers us a dynamic and interesting live set in their last days. A interesting mix of old and recent songs, much more easy listenable and popish. Anyway, they deserve our time spent hearing this live album. ... (read more)

Report this review (#6305) | Posted by Melos | Thursday, March 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENTLE GIANT "The Last Steps "