VICTOR

Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Don't Care (4:04)
2. Promise (5:44)
3. Start Today (3:48)
4. Mr. X Alex Lifeson (2:21)
5. At The End (6:07)
6. Sending A Warning (4:11)
7. Shut Up Shuttin' Up (4:02)
8. Strip And Go Naked (3:57)
9. The Big Dance (4:14)
10. Victor (6:25)
11. I Am The Spirit (5:31)

Search VICTOR Victor lyrics

Search VICTOR Victor tabs

- Alex Lifeson / vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards, mandola
- Les Claypool / bass (9)
- Bill Bell / guitar
- Lisa Dalbello / vocals (3)
- Edwin / vocals
- Blake Manning / drums
- Peter Cardinali / bass
- Colleen Allen / horn
- Adrian Zivojinovich / programming

Released by Atlantic Records on January 9, 1996.

Thanks to Cygnus X-2 for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

VICTOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VICTOR Victor Music

F/S Brand New Victor Entertainment VUZJ-6 VIXX Darkest Angels CD Booklet Japan US $62.97 Buy It Now 1h 30m
VICTOR BRADY - BROWN RAIN - AUCD5042 US $18.01 Buy It Now 1h 30m
TV Victor & The World Future Society,Magic Sound Of The Moon-Moondance,German,LP US $8.61 Buy It Now 1h 31m
1971 JOHN DENVER POEMS PRAYERS & PROMISES LP ALBUM RCA VICTOR STEREO LSP-4499 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Elton Britt Cannonball Yodel Broken Wings RCA Victor US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Hair - The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical LSO-1150 Stereo RCA Victor Vinyl LP US $1.99 [1 bids]
LOT 6 Elvis Presley 45 Records - RCA Victor US $5.95 [0 bids]
ERSKINE HAWKINS w/ASA A.HARRIS Remember/Tippin' in VICTOR 20-1639-VG US $0.99 [0 bids]
LP record Sons of the Pioneers- South of the Border- RCA Victor- 1968 US $3.50 [0 bids]
Victor 78 #20-3681 - Mindy Carson - "Candy And Cake" & "My Foolish Heart" US $5.95 [0 bids]
Victor 78 #20-2840 - Wayne King Orchestra - "The Things You Left In My Heart" US $5.95 [0 bids]
Victor 78 #20-2726 Dave Denney & String Orchestra "Part Of My Heart Is Missing" US $5.95 [0 bids]
Victor 78 #26712 - "Star Dust" - Dick Leibert organ - "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" US $6.95 [0 bids]
Victor 78 #79394 - LaScala Chorus - "Faust" & "Il Trovatore" US $7.95 [0 bids]
Victor 78 #12-81600 - Marek Weber Orchestra - "Serenade" & "Minuet" US $7.95 [0 bids]
Walter C Kelly Virginian Judge Parts 1&2 Victor 78 US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1 Ormandy Victor Set DM 865 3x78 Nice Glossy VG+ US $27.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Johanna Gadski Im Herbst In Autumn Victor 88542 78rpm US $10.79 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Rossini Semiramide Overture Toscanini VIctor Set DM 408 2x78 VG++/VG+ US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Rimsky Korsakow Symphony 2 Antar Piero Coppola Victor Set DM 210 3x78 Nice VG+ US $31.50 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Wagner Die Meistersinger Overture Lohengrin VIctor Set DM 731 2x78 VG++/VG+ US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Haydn Sym 101 The Clock Toscanini VIctor Set DM 57 4x78 VG++/VG+ US $22.50 Buy It Now 1h 51m
GLENN MILLER: A MEMORIAL 1944-1969, 2-RECORD SET, COLLECTIBLE! RCA VICTOR US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK FACE EDDIE ROSS Ross Dog Trot b/w Ross Reel VG++ VICTOR 78 US $13.50 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Songs From Walt Disney Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Victor Records 3pc Set US $19.99 [0 bids]
VOCAL GROUP 45RPM RECORD - THE TOKENS - RCA VICTOR 47-7954 US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Henry Burr VICTOR 19186 Midnight Rose/ Ev'ry Night I Cry Myself To Sleep US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Lifescapes Mississippi by Jeff Victor US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Roy Rogers RCA Victor Green 45 Record 0011 VG+ A Gay Ranchero / Home In Oklahom US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h
Benno Moiseivitch Invitation to the Waltz Victor 18050 US $8.09 Buy It Now 2h
RCA Victor Folk Dance Orchestra Bumps A Daisy b/w Put Your Little Foot There US $8.09 Buy It Now 2h
Three Famous Scenes From Wagner Kirstin Flagstad Melchior 5X78 Victor VG+ US $17.09 Buy It Now 2h
Victor Sylvester Paper Roses b/w Singing Piano Parlophone 45 NM- US $4.50 Buy It Now 2h
Martin Gould - Good Night Sweetheart (1963 RCA Victor Red Seal LSC-2682) Used LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Victor Legley Sonata Raymond Chevreuille Joseph Jongen Preludes Alpha France US $13.50 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Leonard Warren Scenes from Verdi Operas RCA Victor MO 1245 3x78 US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Bizet Carmen Swarthout Albanese Merril Shaw Victor DM 1078 6x78 VG++/VG+ US $22.50 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Athenian Mandolin Quartet Mo Ana b/w Cacliz March Victor 78 US $10.79 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Franklin Baur VICTOR 19243 If The Rest Of The World Don't Want You US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Victor 78 8920 Kirsten Flagstad Tannhauser Elisabeths Gebet Hans Lange VG+ US $10.79 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Victor 78 15212 Lauritz Melchior Parsifal Amfortas Die Wunde Ormandy US $10.79 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Victor 78 17729 Kirsten Flagstad Lauritz Melchior Die Gotterdammerung McArthur US $10.79 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Liechtensteiner Polka by Ray Martin's Orchestra~45 EP RCA Victor Orthophonic US $1.50 [0 bids]
SCHUMANN traumerei reverie VICTOR ensemble 10" 78 rpm NM JOSEF PASTERNACK US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
SCHUMANN FEODOR CHALIAPIN the two grenadiers VICTOR 12" 78 rpm NM US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
PEREZ PRADO: BIG HITS, GREAT LATIN AMERICAN DANCE MUSIC, RCA VICTOR RECORD US $7.99 [0 bids]
CHET ATKINS - Guitares Aux Caraibes - RCA VICTOR FRENCH PRESS US $50.00 [0 bids]
SONNY ROLLINS: The Complete RCA Victor Recordings (6-CD Set - Sealed) US $34.99 [0 bids]
GLENN MILLER & ORCHESTRA RCA VICTOR COLLECTORS ISSUE LIMITED EDITION VOL 2 R 365 US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
EDDIE FISHER Forgive me/That's the chance you take 78 rpm VICTOR 20-4574-VG US $0.99 [0 bids]
PAUL WHITEMAN Whiteman Medley part 1 & 2-78 rpm 12" VICTOR 36199-VG US $0.99 [0 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY, "I GOT STUNG / ONE NIGHT" RCA Victor, 45 RPM VINYL RECORD 47-7410 US $3.99 [0 bids]
1960 ELVIS PRESLEY "Are You Lonesome To-night? / I Gotta Know 45 RPM RCA Victor US $3.99 [0 bids]
ALL STAR BAND 78" BLUE LOU (FOX) / LOS BLUES (FOX) - VICTOR 26114 US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
RAY NOBLE 78" LET'S SWING IT (FOX) / CHINATOWN MY CHINATOWN (FOX) - VICTOR 25070 US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
GEORGE OLSEN 78" WHO (FOX) / SUNNY (FOX) - VICTOR 19840 US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Elvis Presley. I've Lost You, The Next Step Is Love. RCA Victor Label. 7" Single US $3.06 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Elvis Presley. In The Ghetto, Any Day Now. RCA Victor Label. 7" Single US $4.63 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Elvis Presley. Promised Land, It's Midnight. RCA Victor Label. 7" Single US $3.06 Buy It Now 2h 27m
JAZZ BOYD SENTER SENTERPEDES I'm In The Jailhouse Now VICTOR 22010 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Lo Mejor, Victor Waill Y su orquesta (AC) US $19.96 Buy It Now 2h 28m
ELVIS PRESLEY - JAILHOUSE ROCK - RCA-VICTOR 45 - RCA1028 - 1964 UK REISSUE - NM US $12.54 [1 bids]
A VICTOR BORGE PROGRAM LP 10" COLUMBIA CL 6013-VG US $2.50 [0 bids]
BOSS HOGG/NELSON ROSADO/VICTOR SIMONELLI:IMPERIAL WORLD SERIES GAME ONE:2XLP VG+ US $21.93 Buy It Now 2h 30m
BENNY CARTER 78" COCKTAILS FOR TWO (FOX) / TAKIN' MY TIME (FOX) - VICTOR 29860 US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
JOHN KIRBY 78" ST LOUIS BLUES (FOX) / NO BLUES AT ALL (FOX) - VICTOR 27926 US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Joe Green on 78 rpm Victor 26361: Silent Night/Hark the Herald Angels Sing US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Garber-Davis Orchestra VICTOR 19164 Oh Gee, Oh Gosh, Oh Golly I'm In Love US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
EARL HINES 78" BOOGIE WOOGIE ON ST LOUIS BLUES / NUMBER 19 - VICTOR 620064 US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
EARL HINES 78" STORMY MONDAY BLUES (FOX) / SECOND BALCONY JUMP - VICTOR 620055 US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
ELVIS PRESLEY - HOUND DOG - RCA-VICTOR 45rpm - RCA1095 - 1964 UK REISSUE - NM US $13.33 [2 bids]
Victor Brady - Brown Rain. Brand new CD + sealed 1970 reissue Heavy garage psych US $3.45 [3 bids]
AMERICAN LEGION BAND Barnum & Bailey's Favorite VICTOR LG SCROLL LABEL 78-20284 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Vaughn Monroe on 78 rpm RCA Victor 20-4113: Sound Off/Oh Marry Marry Me US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
HERMANOS CHIRINOS VICTOR MORILLO JOSE ROMERO " FESTIVAL LLANERO VENEZUELA SEALED US $99.99 [0 bids]
Victor, Jeff Summer Sojourn CD US $3.25 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Henry Burr VICTOR 19026 You Know You Belong To Sombody Else US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
GRIEG PEER GYNT SUITE NO 1 RCA RED SEAL VICTOR M-404 2-12" 78's Nice US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
ELVIS PRESLEY - ITS NOW OR NEVER- RCA-VICTOR 45 - RCA 1207 -1964 UK REISSUE - NM US $12.54 [1 bids]
JOHN BOLES It Happened In Monterey VICTOR SCROLL 22372 78 RPM -VG US $4.99 [0 bids]
Zager And Evens "2525" (Exordium & Terminus) RCA Victor 12" Vinyl LSP-4214 US $15.29 Buy It Now 2h 46m
The Sons of the Pioneers - 25 Favorite Cowboy Songs - RCA-Victor LPM-1130 (M) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Clyde Doerr VICTOR 19028 Valse Hilda/Saxanola US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Tony Martin on 78 rpm RCA Victor 20-4836: Luna Rossa/Some Day US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
WAYNE KING & ORCHESTRA Alice Blue Gown VICTOR 78-26532 Irene US $14.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
VINTAGE PERRY COMO RCA VICTOR RECORDS BOXED SET "SUPPER CLUB FAVORITES" 45s US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 51m
VINTAGE RCA VICTOR 3 RECORDS SET "DAMNED YANKEES" MUSICAL 45s GWEN VERDON ET AL US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Vintage Album Record Set Famous American Marches Goldman Band RCA Victor US $39.99 [0 bids]
Jimmy Dean - Most Richly Blessed - RCA-Victor LSP-3824 (S) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Victor Feldman - Merry Olde Soul CD US $14.25 [5 bids]
78 Victor Ferera and Franchini # 18771 Drowsy Head / Isle of Paradise US $0.99 [0 bids]
78 Victor Trinity Mixed Quartet # 35734 O'er Waiting Harpstrings/ O Gentle Pre US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE BLUE THINGS la do da da 1965 US RCA VICTOR BEAT GARAGE 45 US $23.52 Buy It Now 2h 56m
ELVIS PRESLEY RECORD RCA Victor DPL2-0056 US $7.50 [0 bids]
78 RCA Victor ???? # 26-8003 International Series US $0.99 [0 bids]
Blood Brothers London Revival Cast (CD-1993, RCA Victor - Kiki Dee US $1.99 [0 bids]
Anthony Newley - Newley Recorded LP 1966 RCA Victor RD-7837 US $0.39 [0 bids]
COUNTRY 78 HANK SNOW my two timin' woman / wasted love RCA VICTOR US $15.93 [0 bids]
78 RPM ARGENTINA RCA VICTOR DANTE RESSIA LUNA TUCUMANA ZAMBA US $38.00 Buy It Now 3h
SPIKE JONES & HIS CITY SLICKERS Thank You Music Lovers Lp RCA Victor EX/EX US $8.23 Buy It Now 3h

More places to buy VICTOR music online Buy VICTOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VICTOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VICTOR Victor ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(34%)

VICTOR Victor reviews

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars Some of you may ask, what is Victor? Well, Victor is the sole solo project from Alex Lifeson of Rush. Recorded between the Rush albums Counterparts and Test for Echo, what you'll find on here is stylistically different than what Rush was doing at the time. Here, you'll find a bitter, angry, and cynical Lifeson, who creates crushing riffs as well as quirky melodies and has a genuine Zappa feel with his guitar. The band he chose for this project, while not in the same league as Rush, perform Lifeson's material well. Edwin (from I Mother Earth, who opened for Rush on the last date of the Counterparts tour, has a rough edge with his vocal approach, but it really works with the music. Blake Manning is a solid drummer, giving a solid back beat while the musical chaos ensues. Guest musician Les Claypool (of Primus fame), also finds himself playing bass on the track The Big Dance.

As I mentioned above, the music is stylistically different than anything Rush was doing at the time. One can immediately notice a change from the opening of the first song, Don't Care. This powerful 7/4 intro is complimented nicely with some gritty, bitter, and angry vocal from Edwin. Lifeson right from the start shows that this album is not an upbeat one, and he starts it perfectly. Promise begins with a nice Rush-esque riff a bit reminiscent of the Fly by Night kind of sound; it's a nice counterpart to the heavy opener. Edwin is really great on this track, hitting the notes perfectly and shining during the chorus. If I'm not mistaken the breakdown during the chorus is in 9/4, as well. Start Today features a female vocalist (Lisa Dalbello) who sounds eerily like Geddy Lee. The riff on the song is strong, despite it being one of the weaker songs on the album, in my opinion.

Mr. X is a short instrumental that has some great Alex Lifeson soloing and a strong bass presence. The drumming is also solid. At the End is a quirky track that is a bit dreary in message. It continues the pessimistic theme that the album has, and it really takes it to a whole new level. Sending a Warning has a strong 5/4 guitar riff that has feels almost as if it could have fitted in Joe's Garage or one of Zappa's early 80s albums. It's one of the stronger tracks on the album. Shut Up Shuttin' Up is an instrumental piece, save for the conversation between two women. The conversation these two women (Alex Lifeson's Wife and her best friend) is inane and disheartening as the main theme of the song is, "shut up and play that guitar". Lifeson then comes in at the end and repeatedly yells shut up. A bit of an odd track if you ask me.

Strip and Go Naked is another instrumental piece which features some nice mandola from Lifeson. It has a bit of a trance feel to it, and Lifeson's solo on it is brilliant. The Big Dance is one of the heaviest tracks on the album. It has this industrial feel. Les Claypool is a star on this track, despite it being hard to hear the bass on it. The guitar is the real treat on this track; the crushing riff really makes the song one of my favorites on the album. Victor is the last of the quirky tracks. It has a bit of a new-age feel, and the horn on it is great. The song itself is a shortened narrative (with Lifeson doing a top notch narration) of the W.H. Auden poem of the same name. The poem itself is a depressing work about a man who kills his loved ones because of voices he hears (or so the sections that are on the song reveal). I Am the Spirit ends the album with a bang. This song has a truly Rush feel on it. This song features what I believe to be the most uplifting lyrics on the album. Lifeson once again has a great feel with the riff and the heavy interludes. Overall, all Rush fans should look into Victor for a peek into the tormented life of Alex Lifeson during that time. It's not a terribly hard album to find on the internet, but you may have trouble finding it in a store. It's well worth the purchase. The music is solid, the lyrics are solid, the whole album is solid. 4/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#80300) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 04, 2006

Review by Menswear
4 stars The darkest and meanest Rush album.

Hey, wait! Sorry, this ain't a Rush album, but it sure sounds like a very, very disturbing one!

Yeah, disturbing. Lifeson's had some quite big demons to expel and frankly, it's more like a slap in the face than a handshake. God, I was shocked at first. Lifeson is not congratulating or thanking anybody, he's just angry and strangely aggressive verbally. The lyrics are sometimes crude, sometimes coarse (with 'f words') and generally towarding suicide, domestic violence and selfdestruction because of drug and booze abuse. Did Lifeson had problems with illegal substances or self control? With an album like that, we can have doubts about it. Oh and he's setting the score with women too. Oh man, talk about it.

Despite the scary lyrics, the whole music approach is genius. Really, Rush album should sound like that. Here, the sound is kinda dirty, with very loud guitars and sharp but simple drumming and programming. The vocals are VERY good, done by a capable Edwin (from I Mother Earth). He maybe suffers from an ego issue, but what a voice my friends! What a voice! Lifeson is also singing in the title track. Many instrumental tracks are available too! Lifeson knows how to surround himself, and my hat goes to Claypool on bass and the speaker-blowing vocals by the always attractive Dalbello, which kinda pastiche Geddy on track 3.

Commenting on and on about every song is a waste of time. It's hard to describe albums that personnal. Few bands got that deep and been that frank into self comments...Yeah, it sounds like Rush, but more like it's delinquant, aggressive cousin.

The X-treme side of Rush.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#80303) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 04, 2006

3 stars This record is really hit and miss with me. Alex I think, tried to do too many things on one album. I don't blame him either because with the RUSH machine he is limited to what he can do. So naturally there is a lot of variety here, and some of it is fantastic while other parts just don't work for me. I applaud having Edwin on vocals who was formerly with a band I enjoyed in the nineties called I MOTHER EARTH.

The first song is called "I Don't Care" and it is a huge departure lyrically from a RUSH album. The words are crude in a sexual way, and I remember the flack he received on the RUSH web-site years ago about that track. This is a dark and heavy tune that instrumentally shines. A scorching guitar solo 3 minutes in. "Promise" is one of my favourites.This is an uptempo tune that reminds me instrumentally of RUSH. A screaming guitar solo 4 minutes in before we get back to the catchy melody. "Start Today" is amazing ! Lisa Dalbello is on vocals and she sounds so much like 70's Geddy with her screaming vocals, it's eerie. Instrumentally this sounds like 90's RUSH, so there is a nice blend of styles here. The rhythm section does an incredible job on this song. "Mr.X" along with the two previous songs are my favourites.This one is an instrumental that is far too short. Lifeson shines !

"At the End" has a monologue throughout reminding me of Robbie Robertson. Some vocals after 4 minutes to end the song. "Sending Out A Warning" is one I like a lot as drums and bass standout. "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" ouch ! I don't like this one at all. 2 women complaining about their boyfriend guitar players grows old really fast. I liked it during the first listen. Not funny at all.The guitar is really good though. "Strip And Go Naked" contrasts the tasteful guitar with the intense guitar passages. Great instrumental. "The Big Dance" features Les Claypool on bass of course, and he and the drummer dominate. "Victor" is sort of strange with this monologue throughout as synths, percussion and horns all provide the soundscape. Don't like it. "I Am the Spirit" is more like it ! Tempo and mood changes in this one are plentiful. Overall though an average tune.

I remember reading that Lifeson gave his hero Mr.Page this cd to have when they met for the first time, I wonder what he thought ? For me it's good but not essential by any means. Some of these songs I really like and want to listen to them over and over, while others I could care less if I ever heard them again.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#126507) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 22, 2007

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars What would happen if Alex Lifeson left Rush to form a band with Edwin? Ever wonder that? Me neither, but here's the answer!

During Rush's 5 year hiatus after 1996 members Geddy and Alex both embarked on solo projects, both capture an element of Rush very well. Characterized by vicious solos and haunting spoken word this album is not everything you'd expect from the Rush jokester. There are moments of quirk, like the increadable instrumentals MR. X, SHUT UP SHUTTIN' UP, and STRIP AND GO NAKED, each sounds like a Rush song, but at the same time, not like a Rush song at all. Among the tracks given vocals the greatest standouts PROMISE and I AM THE SPIRIT are also given life by the Rushesque guitar. The opening riff to many of the tracks would have you believe you're listening to a missing Rush song. However, even with these great songs the best work on this album comes in the form of the title track, VICTOR. This brooding poem turned song is stupendously haunting, if you have the time to really listen to it word by word you'll know what I mean.

A well done album by an excellent artist. Recommended for Rush fans or anyone who wants to hear something very experimental. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#134123) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Review by The Crow
3 stars Excellent solo project by Alex Lifeson!

This albums has a lot of points of interest... It's a real pleasure for every Rush's fan, with a lot of things in common with the Alex's motherband (both in sytle, and obviously in guitar sound...), and it's also very interesting for people who wants to hear first class experimental hard rock.

The Rush's style can be heard in songs like Promise (the riff could be in some of their last efforths...), I Am the Spirit... And specially in Start Today. If you want to hear how would have Rush sounded in the 90's with the 70's Geddy Lee's young voice, here you have an opportunity. Lisa Dalbello's singing on this song is really similar to the Geddy's one in albums like "Fly By Night" or "2112". And it's just spectacular! A very recommended track.

The other songs of the album are not bad at all... I specially enjoy the Lifeson's attempts to make guitar hero songs in he style of Joe Satriani or Steve Johnson in Mr. X, Strip and Go Naked (waht a name for a song...) and Shut Up Shuttin' Up. The more experimental songs can be also heard with pleasure, specially the funny title track and The Big Dance, with the help of Les Claypool.

Best Songs: Promise (that could be a 90's Rush song, and a good one...), Start Today (simply spectacualr, the best song of the album...), Mr. X (great instrumental song...) The Big Dance (splendid hard rock track with a great rythm...) and I Am The Spirit (I just LOVE the guitar solo...)

Conclusion: If you are a fan of Rush, or you are searching for a good prog / experimental hard rock album, then Victor is for you... It's full with good songs, proving what a great musician and composer Alex Lifeson is, and the collaborations make the album really interesting, specially the Les Claypool and Lisa Dalbello contributions. Maybe it's a bit difficult to get into the album... But after a few listenings, you'll notice that it has a lot to offer. Strongly recommended!

My rating: ***1/2

Send comments to The Crow (BETA) | Report this review (#227313) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 17, 2009

Review by Sinusoid
3 stars In essence, this is a side project from Rush man Alex Lifeson. For the longest time, I thought that this was a Lerxst solo thing, but apparently, it's credited to an entire band.

If you want a basic picture of the sound, think of the typical Rush sound with heavy cross- pollenation with the alternative rock scene of the 90's (not that I'm an expert in the latter genre). Very many songs are guitar-heavy with basic song structures, yet contain quite a bit of unusual time signatures. It can be difficult to follow the metre of ''Don't Care''.

The vocalist is very capable, but there's nothing special about his voice. This is excepting the spoken passages by Lifeson and a few ladies plus the Lee-like vocals of ''Start Today''. Instrumentally, the album is quite solid; we get the stellar guitar performances, but that's to be expected from Lerxst. I'm not offended by anything with the possible exception of the bass that gets a tad too clanky in spots.

A few songs branch off from the alt-rock/Rush-rock thing. Songs like ''Mr. X'' and ''Shut Up, Shuttin' Up'' have very funky jazz qualities to them. ''Strip and Go Naked'' reminds me of Jethro Tull for some reason barring when the song goes heavy metal. The title track is a very dark, haunting piece that is likely to scare the wee out of any young kid. It's one of the better efforts of the album marred only by the lyrics which have very many cheap rhymes.

It can get too noisy, but there's enough variety here so that casual music listeners will always find something to grasp. For the average progster, this may be a little too heavy, but Rush fans should have no problem getting into the feel of VICTOR. I quite like the album, but not enough for an essential recommendation. It feels like it's missing something that I can't place my finger on.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#227794) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Review by Prog Leviathan
2 stars Alex Lifeson's solo release is practically a mandatory purchase for serious fans of RUSH, and so long as one's expectations aren't too high, "Victor" proves to be a fun, if light-weight diversion.

Know going in that the sound of this album only rarely resembles anything produced by Rush. For the most part these are straight-forward hard rock tunes, heavy on volume but light on depth. The opener is a big, noisy, riff heavy rocker fans of Lifeson's would probably guess was recorded by someone much less ambitious. While not necessarily bad, it and is numerous cousins, like the driving "Promise" or "Big Dance" don't have much going for them beyond the novelty of hearing Lifeson play outside of his band. However, these songs do score points for me for having many layers in their production, with walls and walls of guitar sound (similar to "Vapor Trails" but with more textures).

Lifeson's playing is, of course, the star of the show, and he certainly delivers. There aren't any stand up and cheer solos or memorable melodies, but rather a fine mix of (noisy) effects, and solos. These are typically short and sweet, shining especially on the instrumental or atmospheric albums. "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" has some of Lifeson's finest jamming ever, and is a clear stand out track for me. The mellow, groovy riffing and crescendo in "At the End" dinstinguished itself nicely for its composition and artistic playing. The rest is pretty much Alex Lifeson by numbers, buried somewhere in clamourus hard rock.

The vocals and lyrics are, unfortunetly, one of my biggest strikes against this album. "Edwin" has an energetic voice but its timbre-- combined with Lifeson's simplistic lyrics-- fail to impress. He's loud, overpowering, and not especially engaging.

Undeniably fun for an occasional listen, but "Victor" would have benefitted more from Lifeson's instrumental prowess than his desire to make a hard rock album. I certainly recommend it to fellow RUSH fans, but it just doesn't have enough going on to make it strong enough to stand on its own without prior enjoyment of Lifeson's body of work.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 2 Style/Emotion/Enjoyability: 3

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#255676) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 11, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars My respect for Lifeson is huge. His canon boasts some of my favourite guitar solos and I admire his versatility and openness for trying out new approaches and sounds. So obviously I rushed to the store when this solo album hit the shelves.

Victor is the first solo project emanating from the Rush stable, and it is a daring album. It's like the bubble of ideas that had been accumulating in Lifeson's head over the preceding years suddenly exploded onto this album. The disadvantage is that he ends up trying to do too many things at once.

But generally I'm not disappointed, not at all. In comparison to Rush, there's a strong influence from alternative rock and noise rock, there's even some industrial sounds. More often then not, all of those influences appear in one song, which makes listening to this album into some sort of "What influences do you hear?" quiz.

As an album it doesn't hold up all too well but there's a couple of great songs and lots of creative ideas which is greatly appreciated. I wouldn't really recommended it to Rush fans though, unless you liked Vapour Trails a lot.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#280582) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Victor is the band name for Alex Lifeson (the guitarist for Rush, as if anyone here doesn't already know that) and his group on his one (so far) solo album. Being one third of Rush, it means that this album bears a strong resemblance to Rush's music. Lifeson makes little effort to differentiate the tones of his guitar from what he does with Lee and Peart.

Right from the beginning of the album, the Rush sound is there. Don't Care has a nice, complex structure, that mixes up timing in 6, 7 and 8, giving it a more progressive sound than most Rush songs since the early 80s. Promise follows, with an even more Rushlike sound. Vocalist Edwin, however, tries to add a more contemporary alternative gruff vocal style to the pieces, but with Lifeson's guitar, it still sounds more like Rush than anything else.

Lifeson does branch away from the Rush parallels on a few songs, most notably Shut Up Shuttin' Up, a funky piece, that has two women (one of whom I believe is Lifeson's wife) prattling on about Lifeson and men in general, with guitar breaks interspersed. It's quite funny. Another departure is the spacy Victor, with a spoken story, that ends up as a religious parable.

So this album is good. It's better than some Rush albums, not as good as others. But it does have some nice prog (and a cameo from Les Claypool).

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#563334) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 06, 2011

2 stars Alex Lifeson is one of my alltime favorite musicians. That's why it pains me to review this album. Voluntary review it, I hasten to add. The DNA profile of this project/band is obvious. It is the guitar sound and much of the general sound of Rush. Alex is 1/3 and an important part of Rush's s ... (read more)

Report this review (#244896) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, October 16, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Alex Lifeson's solo album, Victor, released a while back in 1996, was put together during a Rush hiatus, and was a surprise to many fans. Including myself. At first I found it entertaining in a comical way but over time saw the real value in it. If you like the style of Alex Lifeson's guitar p ... (read more)

Report this review (#115077) | Posted by StyLaZyn | Wednesday, March 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The first (and I hope not the last) Alex Lifeson solo project with the collaboration of Les Claypole, Edwin and Lisa Dalbello amongst other excellent musicians that gives to this album a refreshing and very experimental sound... If you are a Rush fan maybe this one will not be of your taste. Ev ... (read more)

Report this review (#99772) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, November 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VICTOR "Victor"