VICTOR

Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Don't Care (4:04)
2. Promise (5:44)
3. Start Today (3:48)
4. Mr. X Alex Lifeson (2:21)
5. At The End (6:07)
6. Sending A Warning (4:11)
7. Shut Up Shuttin' Up (4:02)
8. Strip And Go Naked (3:57)
9. The Big Dance (4:14)
10. Victor (6:25)
11. I Am The Spirit (5:31)

Search VICTOR Victor lyrics

Search VICTOR Victor tabs

- Alex Lifeson / vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards, mandola
- Les Claypool / bass (9)
- Bill Bell / guitar
- Lisa Dalbello / vocals (3)
- Edwin / vocals
- Blake Manning / drums
- Peter Cardinali / bass
- Colleen Allen / horn
- Adrian Zivojinovich / programming

Released by Atlantic Records on January 9, 1996.

Thanks to Cygnus X-2 for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

VICTOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VICTOR Victor Music

SWEET SUE-JUST YOU Vintage 20's Songsheet JAMES PICKARD,MUSIC BY VICTOR YOUNG USD $11.60 Buy It Now 32m 45s
Victor Davies - Better Place - Afro Gigolo 2 #246813 USD $4.33 Buy It Now 38m 41s
ACCEPT DEATH ROW CD JAPAN Victor VICP-8134 USD $23.00 Buy It Now 39m 6s
78rpm VICTOR SCHIOLER Piano CHOPIN - ORIG. Swedish SONORA EXCLUSIVE USD $89.00 Buy It Now 40m 13s
W.A.S.P. Double Live Assassins 2CD OBI JAPAN Victor VICP-60209~10 USD $29.00 Buy It Now 40m 30s
TRANSIT HEARTCORE CD JAPAN VICTOR VICP-5212 USD $29.00 Buy It Now 40m 31s
BEST OF WAYLON JENNINGS UK LP RCA VICTOR LSA3000 1970 COUNTRY COMMON PEOPLE USD $5.78 Buy It Now 42m 29s
HENRY MANCINI Charade 7" B/w Orange Tamoure (rca1383) UK Rca Victor 1964 USD $17.45 Buy It Now 54m 47s
LYNDEN DAVID HALL Sleeping With Victor CD 3 Track Radio Mix Promo B/w Dual Contr USD $4.55 Buy It Now 54m 59s
Presenting Enrico Caruso in Metropolitan Revivals 4 LP Box Set Victor Red Seal USD $19.99 Buy It Now 55m 13s
Stanley Black - The Breeze And I CD #VICP-225 (Victor Japan) Mint New Sealed USD $33.19 Buy It Now 56m 8s
Jimmy And Carol Owens The Victor Live Oak Records ?- OAK 3001 Vinyl LP Album USD $17.31 [0 bids]
1h
Square Dances Vintage 45 RCA Victor USD $1.95 Buy It Now 1h
This is Ryan Shaw - We Got Love 2008 VICTOR JAPAN Official Promo CD 1Trk #0703 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Victor Masi & Tiziano Borghi Everybody Loves U #224860 USD $4.33 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Leaving The Lights On: A Day In The Life Of Victor - Kevin S (CD Used Very Good) USD $20.55 Buy It Now 1h 13m
ELVIS PRESLEY FLAMING STAR AND SUMMER KISSES RARE UK RAC VICTOR RED SPOT LP 1965 USD $72.48 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Victor & Olga Harlov Love Is Life CD USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
LESTER FLATT - Flatt On Victor - Excellent Con LP Record RCA Victor LSP-4495 USD $8.70 Buy It Now 1h 36m
NASHVILLE GOLD - RCA Victor R213295 - COUNTRY - Two Record Set USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
ELVIS PRESLEY - 1973 - "FOOL" - RCA Victor - RCA 2393 - *VG* USD $1.44 [1 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY - 1977 - "MY WAY" - RCA Victor - PB 1165 - *VG* USD $1.44 [0 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY - 1979 - "LOVE ME TENDER" - Canadian - RCA Victor RCA 2720 - *VG* USD $1.44 [0 bids]
VICKI SUE ROBINSON HALF AND HALF 1977 RCA VICTOR JEALOUSY/TOLD TIGHT EX VINYL LP USD $6.38 Buy It Now 1h 43m
AVERAGE WHITE BAND WARMER COMMUNICATIONS RCA VICTOR PHOTO SLEEVE EX VINYL LP USD $12.76 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Perry Como - And I Love You So - Rca Victor #642625 USD $2.88 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Jim Reeves - I Love You Because - Rca Victor #738851 USD $2.88 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Jim Reeves - Moonlight And Roses - Rca Victor #739094 USD $2.88 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Victor Silvester - Dancing On the Ceiling / Stowaway - Columbia FB.3749 USD $3.41 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Victor Silvester - Tonight You Belong To Me / A Woman In Love - Columbia DB.3846 USD $3.41 Buy It Now 1h 50m
10" 78RPM - LEO REISMAN & HIS ORCHESTRA - ME FOR YOU FOREVER (VICTOR 24398) USD $11.60 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Mario Lanza RCA Victor Red Seal USA EP 7" EEP595 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2h
Mario Lanza RCA Victor Italy Red Seal 7" EEP542 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h
33 RPM RECORD - ELVIS PRESLEY - RCA VICTOR LSP-3758 - STEREO - HOW GREAT THOU AR USD $35.00 Buy It Now 2h 15m
BIRD SOUNDS IN CLOSE-UP VOL II BY VICTOR C. LEWIS (VINYL LP)*825 USD $7.18 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Victor Borge - Phonetic punctuation USD $4.33 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Jimmy Dean "I'm A Swinger/Your Country Boy 1967 RCA VICTOR (NEAR MINT) USD $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Serge Koussevitky and Boston Symphony on 78 rpm RCA Victor De Luxe album DV1 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
ORIGINALS MUSICAL COMEDY 1909-1935 Broadway RCA Victor LPV-560 MONO VG USD $9.75 Buy It Now 2h 45m
R8455 LP - Pink Lady ?- Best Hits Album 1977 JAPAN OBI Victor ?- GX-24 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
78rpm Ada Jones Billy Murray RCA Victor 16788 I've Taken Quite.. USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
78 Phonograph Record Victor Label My One And Only Jane Green USD $2.75 [0 bids]
The Sound Of Music,Rodgers and Hammersteins,vinyl 12" 1965 RCA Victor RB6616 USD $11.23 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Mario Lanza Serenade 7" RCA Victor 494218 EX 1950s US pressing, Serenade/Deep In USD $9.41 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Elvis Presley, Welcome To My World, APL1-2274, 1977 on RCA Victor, EX Vinyl USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 4m
ELVIS PRESLEY: "KISSIN' COUSINS and IT HURTS ME" RCA VICTOR RECS 45rpm 1963 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
DANCE ORCH. BENSON O.OF CHICAGO "TEN LITTLE FINGERS" VICTOR 18871 78 RPM RECORD USD $3.00 [0 bids]
DINAH SHORE 78rpm on Victor "I'LL WALK ALONE & IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU" 1944 VG++ USD $8.99 [0 bids]
vintage RPM 45RPM record The Three Suns RCA Victor EPB 3034 set USD $3.20 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Feldman Victor - Swinging On A Star NEW CD USD $10.73 Buy It Now 3h 23m
JOHNNY MARVIN "There's Everything Nice About You" VICTOR 20612 [78 RPM] USD $18.77 Buy It Now 3h 23m
SEYMOUR RECHTZEIT Mein Yiddishe Mame & Misirlou 78 RPM JEWISH MUSIC RCA Victor USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
SONS OF THE PIONEERS 45 RCA VICTOR Cool Water / Tumbling Tumbleweeds 4 Songs USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Oscar Zehngut 78rpm Victor 63828 Orientalische Motive Jewish Violin With Piano USD $8.50 Buy It Now 3h 30m
33 RPM LP Record Join The Four Roses Song Fest Vol. II RCA Victor Custom USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
33 RPM LP Record Twilight Memories The Three Suns RCA Victor LPM-2120 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Elvis Presley Surrender Lonely Man 45 Rpm 7" Record RCA Victor 47-7850 #pg-24 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Highlights from Richard Rodgers Victory at Sea, Vol 1 ~ RCA Victor 7" 33 EP +cvr USD $4.77 Buy It Now 3h 41m
GANDHI OST CASSETTE RCA VICTOR BK 14557 USD $21.60 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Buttons My Little Dog/Completely UK 1968 7" RCA Victor Recs USD $7.23 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Frankie Randall 45rpm RCA Victor 47-8587 Yellow Haired Woman/The Art Of Love USD $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 46m
@ CD ACES HIGH - TEN 'N OUT /VICTOR ENTERTAINMENT 1994 /MELODIC SWEDEN JAPAN+OBI USD $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
D.ORCH. FREDDY MARTIN & ORCH PROMO RCA VICTOR #20 5646 78 RPM RECORD USD $3.00 [0 bids]
RCA Victor "Tex Beneke - Strange & Sweet/Beyond the Sea" Record (78) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
NORTHERN SOUL 45RPM RECORD - JOE WILLIAMS - RCA VICTOR 47-8398 - PROMO USD $50.00 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Elvis Presley "Fun In Acapulco" RCA Victor LSP-2756 USD $9.50 Buy It Now 3h 56m
XAVIER CUGAT, Cosi Cosa & Little Rose of the.MARX BROS. Victor 78 #25207, '36! USD $10.00 [0 bids]
TOMMY DORSEY, I Oughta Know.& C'Est Si Bon, RCA Victor Vinyl PROMO DJ-922, '50 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
@ CD ANGRA - EVIL WARNING / VICTOR ENT. 1994 ORG / POWER METAL BRAZIL JAPAN+OBI USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h
@ CD ANGRA - FIREWORKS / VICTOR ENT. 1998 / POWER METAL BRAZIL JAPAN+OBI+STICKER USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h
LANA CANTRELL Lana! RCA VICTOR LP Vinyl RCA Victor LSP-4026 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 4h
Ellington, Hines, Smith, Williams, The Jazz Piano, RCA Victor LPM-3499 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 2m
ORIGINAL MEMPHIS FIVE -Victor 19594- Throw Down Blues / Sob Sister - '25 JAZZ 78 USD $24.50 Buy It Now 4h 2m
VICTOR 19072-A PICTURE DISC USD $75.00 [0 bids]
Tony Martin & Dinah Shore~No Other Girl For Me (7"@45) RCA VICTOR. Made in USA USD $2.88 [0 bids]
LOT 4: RCA VICTOR 45 rpm -AROUND THE WORLD II SPAIN & ITALY, R. WALLIS RECORDS USD $2.59 Buy It Now 4h 5m
ANDRES SEGOVIA Best One 1995 JAPAN MCA / Victor CD Near Mint ! Free Shipping ! USD $17.75 Buy It Now 4h 5m
?JAPAN DRUM BREAKS LP Victor Special Listening Record Jazz Funk PROMO ONLY USD $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Vinyl Record 45 RCA-Victor 1972- Rocky Mountain High / For Baby by John Denver USD $1.44 [0 bids]
Leopold Stokowski on RCA Victor LM 1730 Wagner and Schubert USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Boston Pops Orchestra~Light Cavalry Overture (Red 7"@45) RCA VICTOR. Made in USA USD $2.88 [0 bids]
78 1930s Victor Young "Me and the Moon" "When the Moon Hangs High" DECCA 888 V+ USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Falla/Artur Rubinstein~Ritual Fire Dance (Red 7"@45) RCA VICTOR. Made in USA USD $2.88 [0 bids]
Prince Live! The Sacrifice of Victor featuring NPG, Mavis Staples USD $7.43 [1 bids]
Arturo Toscanini and NBC Symphony on RCA Victor LM 1789 Mozart and Haydn USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
David Bowie ?- Knock On Wood RCA Victor ?- RCA 2466 UK Vinyl 7" Single 45 USD $27.47 [0 bids]
David Bowie ?- Sound And Vision RCA Victor ?- PB 0905 UK Vinyl 7" PROMO 45 USD $27.47 [0 bids]
Yehudi Menuhin on RCA Victor LM 1011 Lalo USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
MICHAEL RODGERS - I Got Love 12" Vinyl 1989 WTG Records VICTOR FLORES HOUSE MIX USD $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
TCHAIKOVSKY CONCERTO NO.1, In B-Flat minor.RCA VICTOR 1958 LM-2252, 33RPM Vinyl. USD $5.61 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Morton Gould Brass & Percussion LP RCA Victor LSC 2080 Deep Grooves DG Red Seal USD $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Variés - Petite Jacinthe en vacances avec Victor (CD 2008) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Jim Reeves : I Love You Because - Anna Marie : RCA Victor : RCA-1385 USD $2.54 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Machine-Machine-LP 1979 RCA Victor Funk Soul Disco (Gories covered this) USD $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 46m
LP / DANIEL SANTOS CON EL CUARTETO FLORES Y LA SONORA MATANCERA / RCA VICTOR USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Victor Borge Live - Victor Borge New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $11.25 Buy It Now 4h 47m
TCHAIKOVSKY CONCERTO NO. 1 Van Cliburn KIRIL KONDRASHIN RCA Victor LSC-2252 LP USD $9.49 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Lionel Hampton - Best records Volume 1 1937-1938 LP Vinyl 730.640 Victor USD $4.35 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Best of Mario Lanza - RCA Victor 1964 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
10" 33 RPM LP - RCA VICTOR LPM 3053 - (8) SACRED SONGS OF GEORGE BEVERLY SHEA USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 55m

More places to buy VICTOR music online Buy VICTOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VICTOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VICTOR Victor ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(14%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(36%)

VICTOR Victor reviews

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars Some of you may ask, what is Victor? Well, Victor is the sole solo project from Alex Lifeson of Rush. Recorded between the Rush albums Counterparts and Test for Echo, what you'll find on here is stylistically different than what Rush was doing at the time. Here, you'll find a bitter, angry, and cynical Lifeson, who creates crushing riffs as well as quirky melodies and has a genuine Zappa feel with his guitar. The band he chose for this project, while not in the same league as Rush, perform Lifeson's material well. Edwin (from I Mother Earth, who opened for Rush on the last date of the Counterparts tour, has a rough edge with his vocal approach, but it really works with the music. Blake Manning is a solid drummer, giving a solid back beat while the musical chaos ensues. Guest musician Les Claypool (of Primus fame), also finds himself playing bass on the track The Big Dance.

As I mentioned above, the music is stylistically different than anything Rush was doing at the time. One can immediately notice a change from the opening of the first song, Don't Care. This powerful 7/4 intro is complimented nicely with some gritty, bitter, and angry vocal from Edwin. Lifeson right from the start shows that this album is not an upbeat one, and he starts it perfectly. Promise begins with a nice Rush-esque riff a bit reminiscent of the Fly by Night kind of sound; it's a nice counterpart to the heavy opener. Edwin is really great on this track, hitting the notes perfectly and shining during the chorus. If I'm not mistaken the breakdown during the chorus is in 9/4, as well. Start Today features a female vocalist (Lisa Dalbello) who sounds eerily like Geddy Lee. The riff on the song is strong, despite it being one of the weaker songs on the album, in my opinion.

Mr. X is a short instrumental that has some great Alex Lifeson soloing and a strong bass presence. The drumming is also solid. At the End is a quirky track that is a bit dreary in message. It continues the pessimistic theme that the album has, and it really takes it to a whole new level. Sending a Warning has a strong 5/4 guitar riff that has feels almost as if it could have fitted in Joe's Garage or one of Zappa's early 80s albums. It's one of the stronger tracks on the album. Shut Up Shuttin' Up is an instrumental piece, save for the conversation between two women. The conversation these two women (Alex Lifeson's Wife and her best friend) is inane and disheartening as the main theme of the song is, "shut up and play that guitar". Lifeson then comes in at the end and repeatedly yells shut up. A bit of an odd track if you ask me.

Strip and Go Naked is another instrumental piece which features some nice mandola from Lifeson. It has a bit of a trance feel to it, and Lifeson's solo on it is brilliant. The Big Dance is one of the heaviest tracks on the album. It has this industrial feel. Les Claypool is a star on this track, despite it being hard to hear the bass on it. The guitar is the real treat on this track; the crushing riff really makes the song one of my favorites on the album. Victor is the last of the quirky tracks. It has a bit of a new-age feel, and the horn on it is great. The song itself is a shortened narrative (with Lifeson doing a top notch narration) of the W.H. Auden poem of the same name. The poem itself is a depressing work about a man who kills his loved ones because of voices he hears (or so the sections that are on the song reveal). I Am the Spirit ends the album with a bang. This song has a truly Rush feel on it. This song features what I believe to be the most uplifting lyrics on the album. Lifeson once again has a great feel with the riff and the heavy interludes. Overall, all Rush fans should look into Victor for a peek into the tormented life of Alex Lifeson during that time. It's not a terribly hard album to find on the internet, but you may have trouble finding it in a store. It's well worth the purchase. The music is solid, the lyrics are solid, the whole album is solid. 4/5.

Review by Menswear
4 stars The darkest and meanest Rush album.

Hey, wait! Sorry, this ain't a Rush album, but it sure sounds like a very, very disturbing one!

Yeah, disturbing. Lifeson's had some quite big demons to expel and frankly, it's more like a slap in the face than a handshake. God, I was shocked at first. Lifeson is not congratulating or thanking anybody, he's just angry and strangely aggressive verbally. The lyrics are sometimes crude, sometimes coarse (with 'f words') and generally towarding suicide, domestic violence and selfdestruction because of drug and booze abuse. Did Lifeson had problems with illegal substances or self control? With an album like that, we can have doubts about it. Oh and he's setting the score with women too. Oh man, talk about it.

Despite the scary lyrics, the whole music approach is genius. Really, Rush album should sound like that. Here, the sound is kinda dirty, with very loud guitars and sharp but simple drumming and programming. The vocals are VERY good, done by a capable Edwin (from I Mother Earth). He maybe suffers from an ego issue, but what a voice my friends! What a voice! Lifeson is also singing in the title track. Many instrumental tracks are available too! Lifeson knows how to surround himself, and my hat goes to Claypool on bass and the speaker-blowing vocals by the always attractive Dalbello, which kinda pastiche Geddy on track 3.

Commenting on and on about every song is a waste of time. It's hard to describe albums that personnal. Few bands got that deep and been that frank into self comments...Yeah, it sounds like Rush, but more like it's delinquant, aggressive cousin.

The X-treme side of Rush.

3 stars This record is really hit and miss with me. Alex I think, tried to do too many things on one album. I don't blame him either because with the RUSH machine he is limited to what he can do. So naturally there is a lot of variety here, and some of it is fantastic while other parts just don't work for me. I applaud having Edwin on vocals who was formerly with a band I enjoyed in the nineties called I MOTHER EARTH.

The first song is called "I Don't Care" and it is a huge departure lyrically from a RUSH album. The words are crude in a sexual way, and I remember the flack he received on the RUSH web-site years ago about that track. This is a dark and heavy tune that instrumentally shines. A scorching guitar solo 3 minutes in. "Promise" is one of my favourites.This is an uptempo tune that reminds me instrumentally of RUSH. A screaming guitar solo 4 minutes in before we get back to the catchy melody. "Start Today" is amazing ! Lisa Dalbello is on vocals and she sounds so much like 70's Geddy with her screaming vocals, it's eerie. Instrumentally this sounds like 90's RUSH, so there is a nice blend of styles here. The rhythm section does an incredible job on this song. "Mr.X" along with the two previous songs are my favourites.This one is an instrumental that is far too short. Lifeson shines !

"At the End" has a monologue throughout reminding me of Robbie Robertson. Some vocals after 4 minutes to end the song. "Sending Out A Warning" is one I like a lot as drums and bass standout. "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" ouch ! I don't like this one at all. 2 women complaining about their boyfriend guitar players grows old really fast. I liked it during the first listen. Not funny at all.The guitar is really good though. "Strip And Go Naked" contrasts the tasteful guitar with the intense guitar passages. Great instrumental. "The Big Dance" features Les Claypool on bass of course, and he and the drummer dominate. "Victor" is sort of strange with this monologue throughout as synths, percussion and horns all provide the soundscape. Don't like it. "I Am the Spirit" is more like it ! Tempo and mood changes in this one are plentiful. Overall though an average tune.

I remember reading that Lifeson gave his hero Mr.Page this cd to have when they met for the first time, I wonder what he thought ? For me it's good but not essential by any means. Some of these songs I really like and want to listen to them over and over, while others I could care less if I ever heard them again.

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars What would happen if Alex Lifeson left Rush to form a band with Edwin? Ever wonder that? Me neither, but here's the answer!

During Rush's 5 year hiatus after 1996 members Geddy and Alex both embarked on solo projects, both capture an element of Rush very well. Characterized by vicious solos and haunting spoken word this album is not everything you'd expect from the Rush jokester. There are moments of quirk, like the increadable instrumentals MR. X, SHUT UP SHUTTIN' UP, and STRIP AND GO NAKED, each sounds like a Rush song, but at the same time, not like a Rush song at all. Among the tracks given vocals the greatest standouts PROMISE and I AM THE SPIRIT are also given life by the Rushesque guitar. The opening riff to many of the tracks would have you believe you're listening to a missing Rush song. However, even with these great songs the best work on this album comes in the form of the title track, VICTOR. This brooding poem turned song is stupendously haunting, if you have the time to really listen to it word by word you'll know what I mean.

A well done album by an excellent artist. Recommended for Rush fans or anyone who wants to hear something very experimental. 3.5 stars.

Review by The Crow
3 stars Excellent solo project by Alex Lifeson!

This albums has a lot of points of interest... It's a real pleasure for every Rush's fan, with a lot of things in common with the Alex's motherband (both in sytle, and obviously in guitar sound...), and it's also very interesting for people who wants to hear first class experimental hard rock.

The Rush's style can be heard in songs like Promise (the riff could be in some of their last efforths...), I Am the Spirit... And specially in Start Today. If you want to hear how would have Rush sounded in the 90's with the 70's Geddy Lee's young voice, here you have an opportunity. Lisa Dalbello's singing on this song is really similar to the Geddy's one in albums like "Fly By Night" or "2112". And it's just spectacular! A very recommended track.

The other songs of the album are not bad at all... I specially enjoy the Lifeson's attempts to make guitar hero songs in he style of Joe Satriani or Steve Johnson in Mr. X, Strip and Go Naked (waht a name for a song...) and Shut Up Shuttin' Up. The more experimental songs can be also heard with pleasure, specially the funny title track and The Big Dance, with the help of Les Claypool.

Best Songs: Promise (that could be a 90's Rush song, and a good one...), Start Today (simply spectacualr, the best song of the album...), Mr. X (great instrumental song...) The Big Dance (splendid hard rock track with a great rythm...) and I Am The Spirit (I just LOVE the guitar solo...)

Conclusion: If you are a fan of Rush, or you are searching for a good prog / experimental hard rock album, then Victor is for you... It's full with good songs, proving what a great musician and composer Alex Lifeson is, and the collaborations make the album really interesting, specially the Les Claypool and Lisa Dalbello contributions. Maybe it's a bit difficult to get into the album... But after a few listenings, you'll notice that it has a lot to offer. Strongly recommended!

My rating: ***1/2

Review by Sinusoid
3 stars In essence, this is a side project from Rush man Alex Lifeson. For the longest time, I thought that this was a Lerxst solo thing, but apparently, it's credited to an entire band.

If you want a basic picture of the sound, think of the typical Rush sound with heavy cross- pollenation with the alternative rock scene of the 90's (not that I'm an expert in the latter genre). Very many songs are guitar-heavy with basic song structures, yet contain quite a bit of unusual time signatures. It can be difficult to follow the metre of ''Don't Care''.

The vocalist is very capable, but there's nothing special about his voice. This is excepting the spoken passages by Lifeson and a few ladies plus the Lee-like vocals of ''Start Today''. Instrumentally, the album is quite solid; we get the stellar guitar performances, but that's to be expected from Lerxst. I'm not offended by anything with the possible exception of the bass that gets a tad too clanky in spots.

A few songs branch off from the alt-rock/Rush-rock thing. Songs like ''Mr. X'' and ''Shut Up, Shuttin' Up'' have very funky jazz qualities to them. ''Strip and Go Naked'' reminds me of Jethro Tull for some reason barring when the song goes heavy metal. The title track is a very dark, haunting piece that is likely to scare the wee out of any young kid. It's one of the better efforts of the album marred only by the lyrics which have very many cheap rhymes.

It can get too noisy, but there's enough variety here so that casual music listeners will always find something to grasp. For the average progster, this may be a little too heavy, but Rush fans should have no problem getting into the feel of VICTOR. I quite like the album, but not enough for an essential recommendation. It feels like it's missing something that I can't place my finger on.

Review by Prog Leviathan
2 stars Alex Lifeson's solo release is practically a mandatory purchase for serious fans of RUSH, and so long as one's expectations aren't too high, "Victor" proves to be a fun, if light-weight diversion.

Know going in that the sound of this album only rarely resembles anything produced by Rush. For the most part these are straight-forward hard rock tunes, heavy on volume but light on depth. The opener is a big, noisy, riff heavy rocker fans of Lifeson's would probably guess was recorded by someone much less ambitious. While not necessarily bad, it and is numerous cousins, like the driving "Promise" or "Big Dance" don't have much going for them beyond the novelty of hearing Lifeson play outside of his band. However, these songs do score points for me for having many layers in their production, with walls and walls of guitar sound (similar to "Vapor Trails" but with more textures).

Lifeson's playing is, of course, the star of the show, and he certainly delivers. There aren't any stand up and cheer solos or memorable melodies, but rather a fine mix of (noisy) effects, and solos. These are typically short and sweet, shining especially on the instrumental or atmospheric albums. "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" has some of Lifeson's finest jamming ever, and is a clear stand out track for me. The mellow, groovy riffing and crescendo in "At the End" dinstinguished itself nicely for its composition and artistic playing. The rest is pretty much Alex Lifeson by numbers, buried somewhere in clamourus hard rock.

The vocals and lyrics are, unfortunetly, one of my biggest strikes against this album. "Edwin" has an energetic voice but its timbre-- combined with Lifeson's simplistic lyrics-- fail to impress. He's loud, overpowering, and not especially engaging.

Undeniably fun for an occasional listen, but "Victor" would have benefitted more from Lifeson's instrumental prowess than his desire to make a hard rock album. I certainly recommend it to fellow RUSH fans, but it just doesn't have enough going on to make it strong enough to stand on its own without prior enjoyment of Lifeson's body of work.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 2 Style/Emotion/Enjoyability: 3

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars My respect for Lifeson is huge. His canon boasts some of my favourite guitar solos and I admire his versatility and openness for trying out new approaches and sounds. So obviously I rushed to the store when this solo album hit the shelves.

Victor is the first solo project emanating from the Rush stable, and it is a daring album. It's like the bubble of ideas that had been accumulating in Lifeson's head over the preceding years suddenly exploded onto this album. The disadvantage is that he ends up trying to do too many things at once.

But generally I'm not disappointed, not at all. In comparison to Rush, there's a strong influence from alternative rock and noise rock, there's even some industrial sounds. More often then not, all of those influences appear in one song, which makes listening to this album into some sort of "What influences do you hear?" quiz.

As an album it doesn't hold up all too well but there's a couple of great songs and lots of creative ideas which is greatly appreciated. I wouldn't really recommended it to Rush fans though, unless you liked Vapour Trails a lot.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars Victor is the band name for Alex Lifeson (the guitarist for Rush, as if anyone here doesn't already know that) and his group on his one (so far) solo album. Being one third of Rush, it means that this album bears a strong resemblance to Rush's music. Lifeson makes little effort to differentiate the tones of his guitar from what he does with Lee and Peart.

Right from the beginning of the album, the Rush sound is there. Don't Care has a nice, complex structure, that mixes up timing in 6, 7 and 8, giving it a more progressive sound than most Rush songs since the early 80s. Promise follows, with an even more Rushlike sound. Vocalist Edwin, however, tries to add a more contemporary alternative gruff vocal style to the pieces, but with Lifeson's guitar, it still sounds more like Rush than anything else.

Lifeson does branch away from the Rush parallels on a few songs, most notably Shut Up Shuttin' Up, a funky piece, that has two women (one of whom I believe is Lifeson's wife) prattling on about Lifeson and men in general, with guitar breaks interspersed. It's quite funny. Another departure is the spacy Victor, with a spoken story, that ends up as a religious parable.

So this album is good. It's better than some Rush albums, not as good as others. But it does have some nice prog (and a cameo from Les Claypool).

2 stars Alex Lifeson is one of my alltime favorite musicians. That's why it pains me to review this album. Voluntary review it, I hasten to add. The DNA profile of this project/band is obvious. It is the guitar sound and much of the general sound of Rush. Alex is 1/3 and an important part of Rush's s ... (read more)

Report this review (#244896) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, October 16, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Alex Lifeson's solo album, Victor, released a while back in 1996, was put together during a Rush hiatus, and was a surprise to many fans. Including myself. At first I found it entertaining in a comical way but over time saw the real value in it. If you like the style of Alex Lifeson's guitar p ... (read more)

Report this review (#115077) | Posted by StyLaZyn | Wednesday, March 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The first (and I hope not the last) Alex Lifeson solo project with the collaboration of Les Claypole, Edwin and Lisa Dalbello amongst other excellent musicians that gives to this album a refreshing and very experimental sound... If you are a Rush fan maybe this one will not be of your taste. Ev ... (read more)

Report this review (#99772) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, November 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VICTOR "Victor"