VICTOR

Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Don't Care (4:04)
2. Promise (5:44)
3. Start Today (3:48)
4. Mr. X Alex Lifeson (2:21)
5. At The End (6:07)
6. Sending A Warning (4:11)
7. Shut Up Shuttin' Up (4:02)
8. Strip And Go Naked (3:57)
9. The Big Dance (4:14)
10. Victor (6:25)
11. I Am The Spirit (5:31)

Search VICTOR Victor lyrics

Search VICTOR Victor tabs

- Alex Lifeson / vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards, mandola
- Les Claypool / bass (9)
- Bill Bell / guitar
- Lisa Dalbello / vocals (3)
- Edwin / vocals
- Blake Manning / drums
- Peter Cardinali / bass
- Colleen Allen / horn
- Adrian Zivojinovich / programming

Released by Atlantic Records on January 9, 1996.

Thanks to Cygnus X-2 for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

VICTOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VICTOR Victor Music

33 RPM LP Record Henry Mancini Our Man In Hollywood RCA Victor Records LSP-2604 USD $8.79 Buy It Now
The Browns SPRINGTIME / I'D JUST BE FOOL ENOUGH - 45 RPM Record - RCA Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
33 RPM LP Record Henry Mancini The Best Of Henry Mancini RCA Victor LPM-2693 USD $19.99 Buy It Now
HARRY BELAFONTE - RETURNS TO CARNEGIE HALL - RCA Victor Records Double LP - 1960 USD $12.50 Buy It Now
1947 Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer by Paul Wing RCA Victor Y-353 - 2 Record Set USD $19.95 Buy It Now
The Ames Brothers SO WILL I / MY BONNIE LASSIE - 45 RPM record - RCA Victor USD $4.00 Buy It Now
H.R.H Prince of Wales Speech, Sportsmanship, Victor 35746, 12" 78 rpm USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Warren G. Harding, Addresses at Hoboken and Washington, Victor 35718, 12" 78 rpm USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Anna Moffo Leopold Stokowski RCA Victor Red Seal LM 2795 ED1 ISRAEL lp MONO USD $12.99 Buy It Now
THE PALM BEACH BAND BOYS (pro) RCA Victor-The Object of My Affection -w/lbl slv USD $1.49 [0 bids]
USD $2.49 Buy It Now
Waylon Jennings Shadow Of The Gallows/The Taker 45 RPM RCA Victor USD $7.00 Buy It Now
Gale Garnett - Malaika / Pretty Boy 7" RCA Victor 47-9613 Germany Listen USD $6.99 Buy It Now
Toscanini Plays Light Classics BIZET PONCHIELLI DUKAS SMETANA RCA Victor VCS7001 USD $7.99 Buy It Now
VINYL LP Elvis Presley - That's The Way It Is RCA Victor LSP-4445 USD $12.99 Buy It Now
JOSE FELICIANO Souled RCA Victor LSP-4045 Record LP Near Mint USD $4.50 Buy It Now
Ramon Noble - Ballet Folklorico De Mexico LP 1963 RCA Victor MKL 1530 USA USD $6.99 Buy It Now
Henry Mancini - Charade Original Sound Track LP RCA Victor UK Cary Grant USD $12.99 Buy It Now
Harry Belafonte ?- Belafonte On Campus LP 1967 RCA Victor LPM 3779 Mono USD $14.99 Buy It Now
PAUL ANKA - 21 GOLDEN HITS LP rare Israel Israeli press RCA Victor LSP 2691 USD $15.00 Buy It Now
7" EP P/S 45 - VICTOR YOUNG - CINEMA RHAPSODIES - VOLUME 3 - MADE IN U.S.A USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Chet Atkins in Hollywood LP Record Vinyl Country Soft Rock 1959 RCA Victor VG+ USD $30.00 Buy It Now
33 RPM LP Record Los Indios Tabajaras In a Sentimental Mood RCA Victor LSP-4013 USD $6.99 Buy It Now
Swan Lake - Tchaikovsky - RCA Victor Set of 5 - 78rpm Records USD $10.00 [0 bids]
The Seasons - Glazounoff - Ballet Suite - RCA Victor Set of 4 - 78rpm Records USD $10.00 [0 bids]
k.d. lang Summerfling VINYL Victor Calderone and Wamdue mixes USD $6.99 Buy It Now
Bob Jaxon / I'm Hangin' Around / 1957 / RCA Victor 47-6945 / Black Label / Mono USD $0.99 Buy It Now
Marilyn Horne as VIVALDI'S ORLANDO FURIOSO 3 Record Victor Red Seal LP USD $4.50 Buy It Now
Thunder - S.M.V. CD (Marcus Miller/Stanley Clarke/Victor Wooten) USD $19.95 Buy It Now
Sweethearts [Herbert, Victor] New CD USD $17.65 Buy It Now
Mario Lanza 45 EP Movie Hits RCA Victor 130 PS USD $2.60 Buy It Now
FOLK ROCK LP: SEASONS Magna Carta RCA Victor Canadian Press USD $24.95 Buy It Now
WORLD LP: El Segundo Concierto de LOS 4 NIDO WILLY PACO ANDRES RCA Victor USD $19.95 Buy It Now
Rock 45 Christopher Travis - Girl You'Ll Be A Woman Soon / Shilo On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Rock 45 The Rockin' Strings - Who'S Sorry Now? / Blueberry Hill On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Glenn Miller / In the Mood (1949) / RCA Victor 47-2853 (Single) / little brown USD $2.50 Buy It Now
Mozart Piano Concerto / Sonata Lili Kraus / Victor Desarzens MMS-2191 lp USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Musical Americana 78 RPM Record Set Raymond Paige & Orchestra 1940 Victor USD $20.00 Buy It Now
SKEETER DAVIS - Lovin' Touch - US RCA Victor 1974 7" USD $18.51 Buy It Now
Seven Steps To Heaven - Victor With Tom Scot (CD Used Very Good) Feat. TOM Scott USD $8.67 Buy It Now
VOCAL LP: KAY STARR Rockin' With Kay RCA VICTOR VG+ Canada USD $34.95 Buy It Now
LP:BEETOVEN Concerto No.2 B-Flat-William Kapell, NBC Orchestra RCA VICTOR Canada USD $9.95 Buy It Now
RUBY WELLS "A KISS AND A PROMISE/I'M NOT ASHAMED TO CRY" 1954 RCA VICTOR HEAR!! USD $4.00 Buy It Now
HAL KEMP and His Orchestra - Remember Me? 50's BIG BAND JAZZ 7" Ep RCA Victor EX USD $19.99 Buy It Now
CD: Bach ST. JOHN PASSION Guttenberg RCA VICTOR Munich USD $39.95 Buy It Now
TOMMY DORSEY - Yes Indeed! RARE 50's BIG BAND JAZZ 7" EP RCA Victor EX-/EX USD $17.99 Buy It Now
Dickey Lee LP Ashes of Love RCA Victor 4715 I Saw My Lady USD $2.46 Buy It Now
Twin Tunes Quartet Dream Face / Run-Around 7" 45 Rca Victor 47-7225 Vinyl USD $3.74 Buy It Now
Ronnie Hilton Give Me My Ranch 7" 45 RCA Victor 47-6563 Vinyl USD $3.74 Buy It Now
Ronnie Hilton Give Me My Ranch / Who Are We 7" 45 RCA Victor 47-6563 Vinyl USD $3.74 Buy It Now
Lindsay Crosby Friendship Ring 7" 45 Rca Victor 47-7209 Vinyl USD $3.74 Buy It Now
LP: HARRY BELAFONTE AT THE GREEK THEATER Rca Victor 1963 CANADA USD $24.95 Buy It Now
DAVID BOWIE DIAMOND DOGS 1st RCA Victor G/F UK LP 1974 A1/B1 Oly Oly USD $24.67 [0 bids]
The Best of Glenn Miller Vol III 3 - LP Vinyl Record RCA Victor 1969 Excellent USD $7.95 Buy It Now
ALICE MAE VICTOR Walk With Me Children AIN'T IT New Orleans Gospel 45 VIRGIL 103 USD $15.00 Buy It Now
Perry Como - Eight 78RPM 10" Record Album Box Set RCA Victor 78RPM USD $45.47 Buy It Now
BLUES- WALTER DAVIS- RCA VICTOR 78 RPM- PLEASE REMEMBER ME / NEW B USD $10.00 [1 bids]
India Adams - Comfort Me With Apples - RCA Victor LPM-1943 Vg/Vg++ USD $15.00 Buy It Now
Katyna Ranieri - I'm In The Mood For Amore - RCA Victor LPM-1430 Vg/Vg++ USD $15.00 Buy It Now
LILY PONS-Lakme: Ou Va La Jeune Indoue/La Bas Dans Foret 1930 VICTOR 78#1502 VG+ USD $5.69 [0 bids]
USD $7.49 Buy It Now
33 RPM LP Record The Latin Sound Of Henry Mancini RCA Victor Records LSP-3356 USD $6.99 Buy It Now
ELVIS PRESLEY, A DATE WITH ELVIS, LPM-2011 VINYL RECORD RCA VICTOR c.1959 VGC USD $29.95 [0 bids]
Rock Promo 45 The Sidekicks - Up On The Roof / Suspicions On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Rock Promo 45 SKEETER DAVIS If I Had Wheels on RCA Victor (Promo) USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Rock 45 Wayne Cogswell-Buddy Killen - Rainbow'S End / Slinkey On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Rock Picture Sleeve 45 PAUL ANKA Love (Makes the World Go 'Round) on RCA Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
ELVIS PRESLEY Girls! Girls! Girls! lp RCA Victor USD $20.00 [0 bids]
RCA VICTOR 78 RECORD Polka Frank Wojnarowski 6 Record Lot USD $50.00 Buy It Now
HUGO & LUIGI The Sound of Children RCA Victor LSP-2159 NM 1960 release USD $14.49 [0 bids]
Jim Ed Brown If Wishes Were Horses/It's That Time Of Night 45 RPM RCA Victor USD $7.00 Buy It Now
Wilf Carter - Alabama Saturday Nite Original 1952 RCA Victor 45 Montana Slim VG+ USD $12.99 [0 bids]
Red by King Crimson (HQCD, 2016, Mini-LP, Victor Entertainment, Japan) USD $44.95 Buy It Now
Rock 45 Nan Wynn - The Lord Is A Busy Man / Hands Off On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Rock 45 Steve & Eydie - Real True Lovin' / Chapter One On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Rock 45 Paul Anka - This Crazy World / Goodnight My Love On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Rock 45 Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman / Don'T Ask Me Why On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
ROSEMARY CLOONEY Clap Hands! Here Comes Rosie! RCA Victor LSP-2212 1s/1s NM USD $10.49 [0 bids]
Sam Cooke - Having A Party VG+ 7" Vinyl 45 Record USA Soul RCA Victor 447-0705 USD $45.00 Buy It Now
COON SANDERS ORCHESTRA- VICTOR 78 RPM - KANSAS CITY KITTY / TENNESSEE LAZY- HEAR USD $10.00 [0 bids]
Tony Booth A Whole Lot Of Somethin'/Nobody's Fool But Yours 45 RPM RCA Victor USD $7.00 Buy It Now
Vintage Elvis Presley 45 rpm Records lot of 4 RCA VICTOR USD $5.99 Buy It Now
The Complete RCA Victor Recordings [Box] by Sonny Rollins (CD, Jul-1997, 6... USD $59.99 Buy It Now
CARMEN MIRANDA GOSTINHO DIFERENTE + NEGUINHO 10" VICTOR BRAZIL 78 RPM 3328 USD $54.99 [0 bids]
Copperpenny - Self titled Promo LP (RCA Victor, 1970) VG+ USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Victor Herbert and his orchestra USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Victor Roque & Henry Hierro Manzanisate LP Latin 33 RPM 12" Jugo De la Manzana USD $9.99 Buy It Now
The Music of Victor Herbert Victrola Record USD $79.99 Buy It Now
Tchaikovsky / Schumann: Piano Concertos (RCA Victor Basic 100, Vol.77) USD $12.60 Buy It Now
Lot 14 Victor records Brunswick Records Columbia RCA Victor decca USD $50.00 Buy It Now
Lot of 21 records from Decca Columbia Majestic Capital Victor Brunswick capital USD $50.00 Buy It Now
HTF CONQUEROR VICTOR AMERICA AND STAR-SPANGLED BANNER 78 RPM VINYL RECORD 14506 USD $39.99 Buy It Now
ORIGINAL DIXIELAND JAZZ BAND- VICTOR 78 RPM - SENSATION RAG / BLUIN' THE BLUES USD $10.00 [0 bids]
Vernon Dalhart 78rpm Wreck Of The Old 97 / Prisoner's Song 1924 VICTOR 19427 E+ USD $35.00 Buy It Now
Mario Lanza - The Student Prince LP LM-2339 (RCA Victor, 1960) USD $7.00 Buy It Now
Chopin With Love - Victor Feldman (CD Used Very Good) USD $8.64 Buy It Now
50'S & 60'S 45 Del Wood - That Naughty Waltz / Home Sweet Home On Rca Victor USD $5.00 Buy It Now
HARRY BELAFONTE:CALYPSO IN BRASS VINYL LP RECORD 1963 RCA VICTOR LSP-3658 USD $1.50 [0 bids]
USD $19.99 Buy It Now
Tarkus (K2hd) [Slipcase] by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, Dec-2005, Jvc Victor) USD $33.99 Buy It Now
Pol Plancon Mozart / Ferrari / Georges 12" 78 red wax E+ RCA Victor 15-1007 Gold USD $15.00 Buy It Now
VICTOR AGUILAR LA VOZ DE ATRACTIVA AMOR IMPOSIBLE LP NEW USD $29.99 Buy It Now
Henry Mancini - The Blues and The Beat LP LSP-2147 (RCA Victor, 1960) USD $8.00 Buy It Now

More places to buy VICTOR music online Buy VICTOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

VICTOR Victor ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(14%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(37%)

VICTOR Victor reviews

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars Some of you may ask, what is Victor? Well, Victor is the sole solo project from Alex Lifeson of Rush. Recorded between the Rush albums Counterparts and Test for Echo, what you'll find on here is stylistically different than what Rush was doing at the time. Here, you'll find a bitter, angry, and cynical Lifeson, who creates crushing riffs as well as quirky melodies and has a genuine Zappa feel with his guitar. The band he chose for this project, while not in the same league as Rush, perform Lifeson's material well. Edwin (from I Mother Earth, who opened for Rush on the last date of the Counterparts tour, has a rough edge with his vocal approach, but it really works with the music. Blake Manning is a solid drummer, giving a solid back beat while the musical chaos ensues. Guest musician Les Claypool (of Primus fame), also finds himself playing bass on the track The Big Dance.

As I mentioned above, the music is stylistically different than anything Rush was doing at the time. One can immediately notice a change from the opening of the first song, Don't Care. This powerful 7/4 intro is complimented nicely with some gritty, bitter, and angry vocal from Edwin. Lifeson right from the start shows that this album is not an upbeat one, and he starts it perfectly. Promise begins with a nice Rush-esque riff a bit reminiscent of the Fly by Night kind of sound; it's a nice counterpart to the heavy opener. Edwin is really great on this track, hitting the notes perfectly and shining during the chorus. If I'm not mistaken the breakdown during the chorus is in 9/4, as well. Start Today features a female vocalist (Lisa Dalbello) who sounds eerily like Geddy Lee. The riff on the song is strong, despite it being one of the weaker songs on the album, in my opinion.

Mr. X is a short instrumental that has some great Alex Lifeson soloing and a strong bass presence. The drumming is also solid. At the End is a quirky track that is a bit dreary in message. It continues the pessimistic theme that the album has, and it really takes it to a whole new level. Sending a Warning has a strong 5/4 guitar riff that has feels almost as if it could have fitted in Joe's Garage or one of Zappa's early 80s albums. It's one of the stronger tracks on the album. Shut Up Shuttin' Up is an instrumental piece, save for the conversation between two women. The conversation these two women (Alex Lifeson's Wife and her best friend) is inane and disheartening as the main theme of the song is, "shut up and play that guitar". Lifeson then comes in at the end and repeatedly yells shut up. A bit of an odd track if you ask me.

Strip and Go Naked is another instrumental piece which features some nice mandola from Lifeson. It has a bit of a trance feel to it, and Lifeson's solo on it is brilliant. The Big Dance is one of the heaviest tracks on the album. It has this industrial feel. Les Claypool is a star on this track, despite it being hard to hear the bass on it. The guitar is the real treat on this track; the crushing riff really makes the song one of my favorites on the album. Victor is the last of the quirky tracks. It has a bit of a new-age feel, and the horn on it is great. The song itself is a shortened narrative (with Lifeson doing a top notch narration) of the W.H. Auden poem of the same name. The poem itself is a depressing work about a man who kills his loved ones because of voices he hears (or so the sections that are on the song reveal). I Am the Spirit ends the album with a bang. This song has a truly Rush feel on it. This song features what I believe to be the most uplifting lyrics on the album. Lifeson once again has a great feel with the riff and the heavy interludes. Overall, all Rush fans should look into Victor for a peek into the tormented life of Alex Lifeson during that time. It's not a terribly hard album to find on the internet, but you may have trouble finding it in a store. It's well worth the purchase. The music is solid, the lyrics are solid, the whole album is solid. 4/5.

Review by Menswear
4 stars The darkest and meanest Rush album.

Hey, wait! Sorry, this ain't a Rush album, but it sure sounds like a very, very disturbing one!

Yeah, disturbing. Lifeson's had some quite big demons to expel and frankly, it's more like a slap in the face than a handshake. God, I was shocked at first. Lifeson is not congratulating or thanking anybody, he's just angry and strangely aggressive verbally. The lyrics are sometimes crude, sometimes coarse (with 'f words') and generally towarding suicide, domestic violence and selfdestruction because of drug and booze abuse. Did Lifeson had problems with illegal substances or self control? With an album like that, we can have doubts about it. Oh and he's setting the score with women too. Oh man, talk about it.

Despite the scary lyrics, the whole music approach is genius. Really, Rush album should sound like that. Here, the sound is kinda dirty, with very loud guitars and sharp but simple drumming and programming. The vocals are VERY good, done by a capable Edwin (from I Mother Earth). He maybe suffers from an ego issue, but what a voice my friends! What a voice! Lifeson is also singing in the title track. Many instrumental tracks are available too! Lifeson knows how to surround himself, and my hat goes to Claypool on bass and the speaker-blowing vocals by the always attractive Dalbello, which kinda pastiche Geddy on track 3.

Commenting on and on about every song is a waste of time. It's hard to describe albums that personnal. Few bands got that deep and been that frank into self comments...Yeah, it sounds like Rush, but more like it's delinquant, aggressive cousin.

The X-treme side of Rush.

3 stars This record is really hit and miss with me. Alex I think, tried to do too many things on one album. I don't blame him either because with the RUSH machine he is limited to what he can do. So naturally there is a lot of variety here, and some of it is fantastic while other parts just don't work for me. I applaud having Edwin on vocals who was formerly with a band I enjoyed in the nineties called I MOTHER EARTH.

The first song is called "I Don't Care" and it is a huge departure lyrically from a RUSH album. The words are crude in a sexual way, and I remember the flack he received on the RUSH web-site years ago about that track. This is a dark and heavy tune that instrumentally shines. A scorching guitar solo 3 minutes in. "Promise" is one of my favourites.This is an uptempo tune that reminds me instrumentally of RUSH. A screaming guitar solo 4 minutes in before we get back to the catchy melody. "Start Today" is amazing ! Lisa Dalbello is on vocals and she sounds so much like 70's Geddy with her screaming vocals, it's eerie. Instrumentally this sounds like 90's RUSH, so there is a nice blend of styles here. The rhythm section does an incredible job on this song. "Mr.X" along with the two previous songs are my favourites.This one is an instrumental that is far too short. Lifeson shines !

"At the End" has a monologue throughout reminding me of Robbie Robertson. Some vocals after 4 minutes to end the song. "Sending Out A Warning" is one I like a lot as drums and bass standout. "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" ouch ! I don't like this one at all. 2 women complaining about their boyfriend guitar players grows old really fast. I liked it during the first listen. Not funny at all.The guitar is really good though. "Strip And Go Naked" contrasts the tasteful guitar with the intense guitar passages. Great instrumental. "The Big Dance" features Les Claypool on bass of course, and he and the drummer dominate. "Victor" is sort of strange with this monologue throughout as synths, percussion and horns all provide the soundscape. Don't like it. "I Am the Spirit" is more like it ! Tempo and mood changes in this one are plentiful. Overall though an average tune.

I remember reading that Lifeson gave his hero Mr.Page this cd to have when they met for the first time, I wonder what he thought ? For me it's good but not essential by any means. Some of these songs I really like and want to listen to them over and over, while others I could care less if I ever heard them again.

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars What would happen if Alex Lifeson left Rush to form a band with Edwin? Ever wonder that? Me neither, but here's the answer!

During Rush's 5 year hiatus after 1996 members Geddy and Alex both embarked on solo projects, both capture an element of Rush very well. Characterized by vicious solos and haunting spoken word this album is not everything you'd expect from the Rush jokester. There are moments of quirk, like the increadable instrumentals MR. X, SHUT UP SHUTTIN' UP, and STRIP AND GO NAKED, each sounds like a Rush song, but at the same time, not like a Rush song at all. Among the tracks given vocals the greatest standouts PROMISE and I AM THE SPIRIT are also given life by the Rushesque guitar. The opening riff to many of the tracks would have you believe you're listening to a missing Rush song. However, even with these great songs the best work on this album comes in the form of the title track, VICTOR. This brooding poem turned song is stupendously haunting, if you have the time to really listen to it word by word you'll know what I mean.

A well done album by an excellent artist. Recommended for Rush fans or anyone who wants to hear something very experimental. 3.5 stars.

Review by The Crow
3 stars Excellent solo project by Alex Lifeson!

This albums has a lot of points of interest... It's a real pleasure for every Rush's fan, with a lot of things in common with the Alex's motherband (both in sytle, and obviously in guitar sound...), and it's also very interesting for people who wants to hear first class experimental hard rock.

The Rush's style can be heard in songs like Promise (the riff could be in some of their last efforths...), I Am the Spirit... And specially in Start Today. If you want to hear how would have Rush sounded in the 90's with the 70's Geddy Lee's young voice, here you have an opportunity. Lisa Dalbello's singing on this song is really similar to the Geddy's one in albums like "Fly By Night" or "2112". And it's just spectacular! A very recommended track.

The other songs of the album are not bad at all... I specially enjoy the Lifeson's attempts to make guitar hero songs in he style of Joe Satriani or Steve Johnson in Mr. X, Strip and Go Naked (waht a name for a song...) and Shut Up Shuttin' Up. The more experimental songs can be also heard with pleasure, specially the funny title track and The Big Dance, with the help of Les Claypool.

Best Songs: Promise (that could be a 90's Rush song, and a good one...), Start Today (simply spectacualr, the best song of the album...), Mr. X (great instrumental song...) The Big Dance (splendid hard rock track with a great rythm...) and I Am The Spirit (I just LOVE the guitar solo...)

Conclusion: If you are a fan of Rush, or you are searching for a good prog / experimental hard rock album, then Victor is for you... It's full with good songs, proving what a great musician and composer Alex Lifeson is, and the collaborations make the album really interesting, specially the Les Claypool and Lisa Dalbello contributions. Maybe it's a bit difficult to get into the album... But after a few listenings, you'll notice that it has a lot to offer. Strongly recommended!

My rating: ***1/2

Review by Sinusoid
3 stars In essence, this is a side project from Rush man Alex Lifeson. For the longest time, I thought that this was a Lerxst solo thing, but apparently, it's credited to an entire band.

If you want a basic picture of the sound, think of the typical Rush sound with heavy cross- pollenation with the alternative rock scene of the 90's (not that I'm an expert in the latter genre). Very many songs are guitar-heavy with basic song structures, yet contain quite a bit of unusual time signatures. It can be difficult to follow the metre of ''Don't Care''.

The vocalist is very capable, but there's nothing special about his voice. This is excepting the spoken passages by Lifeson and a few ladies plus the Lee-like vocals of ''Start Today''. Instrumentally, the album is quite solid; we get the stellar guitar performances, but that's to be expected from Lerxst. I'm not offended by anything with the possible exception of the bass that gets a tad too clanky in spots.

A few songs branch off from the alt-rock/Rush-rock thing. Songs like ''Mr. X'' and ''Shut Up, Shuttin' Up'' have very funky jazz qualities to them. ''Strip and Go Naked'' reminds me of Jethro Tull for some reason barring when the song goes heavy metal. The title track is a very dark, haunting piece that is likely to scare the wee out of any young kid. It's one of the better efforts of the album marred only by the lyrics which have very many cheap rhymes.

It can get too noisy, but there's enough variety here so that casual music listeners will always find something to grasp. For the average progster, this may be a little too heavy, but Rush fans should have no problem getting into the feel of VICTOR. I quite like the album, but not enough for an essential recommendation. It feels like it's missing something that I can't place my finger on.

Review by Prog Leviathan
2 stars Alex Lifeson's solo release is practically a mandatory purchase for serious fans of RUSH, and so long as one's expectations aren't too high, "Victor" proves to be a fun, if light-weight diversion.

Know going in that the sound of this album only rarely resembles anything produced by Rush. For the most part these are straight-forward hard rock tunes, heavy on volume but light on depth. The opener is a big, noisy, riff heavy rocker fans of Lifeson's would probably guess was recorded by someone much less ambitious. While not necessarily bad, it and is numerous cousins, like the driving "Promise" or "Big Dance" don't have much going for them beyond the novelty of hearing Lifeson play outside of his band. However, these songs do score points for me for having many layers in their production, with walls and walls of guitar sound (similar to "Vapor Trails" but with more textures).

Lifeson's playing is, of course, the star of the show, and he certainly delivers. There aren't any stand up and cheer solos or memorable melodies, but rather a fine mix of (noisy) effects, and solos. These are typically short and sweet, shining especially on the instrumental or atmospheric albums. "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" has some of Lifeson's finest jamming ever, and is a clear stand out track for me. The mellow, groovy riffing and crescendo in "At the End" dinstinguished itself nicely for its composition and artistic playing. The rest is pretty much Alex Lifeson by numbers, buried somewhere in clamourus hard rock.

The vocals and lyrics are, unfortunetly, one of my biggest strikes against this album. "Edwin" has an energetic voice but its timbre-- combined with Lifeson's simplistic lyrics-- fail to impress. He's loud, overpowering, and not especially engaging.

Undeniably fun for an occasional listen, but "Victor" would have benefitted more from Lifeson's instrumental prowess than his desire to make a hard rock album. I certainly recommend it to fellow RUSH fans, but it just doesn't have enough going on to make it strong enough to stand on its own without prior enjoyment of Lifeson's body of work.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 2 Style/Emotion/Enjoyability: 3

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars My respect for Lifeson is huge. His canon boasts some of my favourite guitar solos and I admire his versatility and openness for trying out new approaches and sounds. So obviously I rushed to the store when this solo album hit the shelves.

Victor is the first solo project emanating from the Rush stable, and it is a daring album. It's like the bubble of ideas that had been accumulating in Lifeson's head over the preceding years suddenly exploded onto this album. The disadvantage is that he ends up trying to do too many things at once.

But generally I'm not disappointed, not at all. In comparison to Rush, there's a strong influence from alternative rock and noise rock, there's even some industrial sounds. More often then not, all of those influences appear in one song, which makes listening to this album into some sort of "What influences do you hear?" quiz.

As an album it doesn't hold up all too well but there's a couple of great songs and lots of creative ideas which is greatly appreciated. I wouldn't really recommended it to Rush fans though, unless you liked Vapour Trails a lot.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars Victor is the band name for Alex Lifeson (the guitarist for Rush, as if anyone here doesn't already know that) and his group on his one (so far) solo album. Being one third of Rush, it means that this album bears a strong resemblance to Rush's music. Lifeson makes little effort to differentiate the tones of his guitar from what he does with Lee and Peart.

Right from the beginning of the album, the Rush sound is there. Don't Care has a nice, complex structure, that mixes up timing in 6, 7 and 8, giving it a more progressive sound than most Rush songs since the early 80s. Promise follows, with an even more Rushlike sound. Vocalist Edwin, however, tries to add a more contemporary alternative gruff vocal style to the pieces, but with Lifeson's guitar, it still sounds more like Rush than anything else.

Lifeson does branch away from the Rush parallels on a few songs, most notably Shut Up Shuttin' Up, a funky piece, that has two women (one of whom I believe is Lifeson's wife) prattling on about Lifeson and men in general, with guitar breaks interspersed. It's quite funny. Another departure is the spacy Victor, with a spoken story, that ends up as a religious parable.

So this album is good. It's better than some Rush albums, not as good as others. But it does have some nice prog (and a cameo from Les Claypool).

2 stars Alex Lifeson is one of my alltime favorite musicians. That's why it pains me to review this album. Voluntary review it, I hasten to add. The DNA profile of this project/band is obvious. It is the guitar sound and much of the general sound of Rush. Alex is 1/3 and an important part of Rush's s ... (read more)

Report this review (#244896) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, October 16, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Alex Lifeson's solo album, Victor, released a while back in 1996, was put together during a Rush hiatus, and was a surprise to many fans. Including myself. At first I found it entertaining in a comical way but over time saw the real value in it. If you like the style of Alex Lifeson's guitar p ... (read more)

Report this review (#115077) | Posted by StyLaZyn | Wednesday, March 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The first (and I hope not the last) Alex Lifeson solo project with the collaboration of Les Claypole, Edwin and Lisa Dalbello amongst other excellent musicians that gives to this album a refreshing and very experimental sound... If you are a Rush fan maybe this one will not be of your taste. Ev ... (read more)

Report this review (#99772) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, November 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VICTOR "Victor"