VICTOR

Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Don't Care (4:04)
2. Promise (5:44)
3. Start Today (3:48)
4. Mr. X Alex Lifeson (2:21)
5. At The End (6:07)
6. Sending A Warning (4:11)
7. Shut Up Shuttin' Up (4:02)
8. Strip And Go Naked (3:57)
9. The Big Dance (4:14)
10. Victor (6:25)
11. I Am The Spirit (5:31)

- Alex Lifeson / vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards, mandola
- Les Claypool / bass (9)
- Bill Bell / guitar
- Lisa Dalbello / vocals (3)
- Edwin / vocals
- Blake Manning / drums
- Peter Cardinali / bass
- Colleen Allen / horn
- Adrian Zivojinovich / programming

Released by Atlantic Records on January 9, 1996.

Thanks to Cygnus X-2 for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

Buy VICTOR Victor Music

Elvis Presley - 4 Singles RCA Victor I Gotta Know Hound Dog All Shook Up USD $19.99 [0 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY "YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME" FRENCH 1970 7' RCA VICTOR USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
FRANCK : SYMPHONY IN D minor : RCA VICTOR SO - SIR ADRIAN BOULT USD $8.90 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Charley pride lp country pride original rca victor LSA 3143 free postage USD $6.54 [0 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY "WHERE DID THEY GO, LORD" FRENCH 1971 7' RCA VICTOR 49 733 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The RCA Victor Treasure Chest of Mood Music Box Set of 10 45 Record Vinyl USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
RICE,VICTOR-SMOKE (UK IMPORT) VINYL LP NEW USD $21.18 Buy It Now 1h 10m
DAVID BOWIE *Young Americans* 1975 N/MINT Vinyl RCA Victor LP *Tan Label* WOW!! USD $6.00 [6 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY Kissin' Cousins 1977 UK PRESSING LP RCA Victor PL 42355 vinyl USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
ELVIS PRESLEY Something For Everybody 1971 UK PRESSING LP RCA Victor SF 5106 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
BOBBY PICKETT The Monster Swim/The Werewolf Watusi 7" 1964 RCA Victor promo VG+ USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
ELVIS PRESLEY - JAILHOUSE ROCK E.P. - RCA VICTOR RECORDS USD $3.14 [2 bids]
RCA Victor HMS Pinafore Al Goodman Orchestra Gilbert Sullivan 45 Blue Vinyl Old USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
DONIZETTI Lucia di Lammermoor 2xLP Box (RCA Victor Red Seal LM-6055, 1958, Mono) USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
78 RPM VICTOR BATWING HAWAIIAN LOVE SONG/SLEEP BABY SLEEP WARD BARTON YODLING  USD $2.95 [0 bids]
Renard Trio Victor 78 rpm 58003 ANDANTE FROM TRIO prewar single sided VG+ L1-L4 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Boston Pops Or, Arthur Fiedler 78 rpm Victor 13830: Faust-Ballet Music VG+ L1-L1 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Jim Reeves. A touch of velvet. RCA Victor original LP RD 7521 USD $1.30 [0 bids]
McCormack, John Sweet Genevieve Victor 64309 1914 78 pop USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Elvis Presley - Patch It Up - RCA-Victor 47-9916 w/PS near mint disc USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
McCormack, John Somewhere a Voice is Calling Victor 64405 1914 78 Pop USD $11.50 Buy It Now 1h 14m
VICTOR YTURBE PIRULI - 16 Exitos De Oro - CD - **Excelentes condiciones USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Vtg. Stereo Festivals RCA VICTOR 10 record set Mixture of Music USD $17.95 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Light Orchestral Favorites Victor Olof Clemens Kraus LP NM London LLP103 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 15m
FOUR JACKS & A JILL I LOOKED BACK / MASTER JACK 45 VG RCA Victor 47-9473 1968 USD $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Strauss Die Fledermaus Oscar Danon Vienna Opera LP NM RCA Victor LSC-2728 1964 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 15m
RARE ORIG NORTHERN SOUL 45 - ROY HAMILTON - SHE'S GOT A HEART - RCA VICTOR USD $20.50 [4 bids]
The Story of Paul Bunyan with Murray Phillips RCA Victor 78 rpm record WBY 4 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
78RPM 2 RCA Victor by Vaughn Monroe, Mule Train, Theres Music Land, Singing V+ USD $10.95 Buy It Now 1h 17m
leon gieco / victor heredia - ISRAEL ONLY PROMO CD !!- 3 tracks spanish latin USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
japan 78 RPM- victor V- 41278 picture label - mint + original cover USD $23.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Kreiner Quartet on 78 rpm Victor Album DM-397: Malipiero Rispetti e Strambotti USD $44.95 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Jim Reeves & Patsy CLine Greatest Hits LP NM RCA Victor AYL1-5152 1981 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Harry Lauder She is My Daisy 12" 78 Victor 70006 c.1909 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Harry Lauder Breakfast In Bed on Sunday Morn 12" 78 Victor 70063 c.1911 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Joseph C. Smith Always Chasing Rainbows / Head Over Heels 12" 78 Victor 35682 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Harry Lauder I Think I'll Get Wed In The Summer 12" 78 Victor 70125 c.1916 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Harry Lauder The Laddies Who Fought And Won 12" 78 Victor 70117 c.1916 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
John Steel I'll Forget You / World Waiting For Sunshine 10" 78 Victor 18844 1921 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Victor Feldman Secret of The Andes LP sealed NOS 1982 Jazz PAJ PA 8053-N orig USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Rick Springfield ?Celebrate Youth RCA Victor ?PB 49987 Vinyl 7inch UK 45 single USD $17.61 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Los Indios Tabajaras Maran Cariua RCA Victor RCX-7135 UK 7inch Vinyl Single EP USD $13.09 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Elvis Presley - For Everyone - mono LP 1965 UK issue RD-7752 RCA Victor red dot USD $7.85 [1 bids]
Glenn Miller - Hot Victor 78 RPM - That's Sabotage / Serenade In Blue A11 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
JULIUS LA ROSA OUR MONDAY DATE 45 7" 4 TRACK EP NM US RCA VICTOR w/PS SLEEVE USD $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass Super Country LP EX RCA Victor LSP-4571 1971 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Glahe Musette Orchestra Hot Pretzels /Beer Barrel Polka 10" 78 Victor V-710 1939 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Dinah Shore Mood Indigo / Sidney Bechet Muskrat Ramble 10" 78 Victor 27302 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
John Gary Catch A Rising Star LP EX RCA Victor LPM-2745 1963 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Joseph C. Smith Ching-a-Ling's Jazz Bazaar / Irene 12" 78 Victor 35695 c.1920 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Exodus Original Soundtrack Ernest Gold LP EX RCA Victor LSO-1058 1960 USD $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Della Reese Della On Stage LP VG+ RCA Victor LSP-2568 1962 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Harry Lauder When I Get Back To Bonnie Scotland 12" 78 Victor 70009 1909 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Ed Ames Sings Apologize LP NM RCA Victor LSP-4028 1968 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Joseph C. Smith Missouri Waltz / Kiss Me Again 12" 78 Victor 35663 1917 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
John Denver Poems, Prayers & Promises LP EX RCA Victor LSP-4499 1971 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Harry Lauder I Love To Be A Sailor 12" 78 Victor 70118 c.1916 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Victor 78 RPM Russian Symphonic Choir Basile Kibalchich 78890 V++ USD $9.99 [0 bids]
ROGER WHITTAKER La Ballade de l'amour (et Mammy Blue) LP 1972 RCA Victor Canada USD $8.34 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Thereby hangs a tale Eddy Arnold Sealed LP VINYL RECORD Victor Stereo USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Hope Floats [Score] Original Soundtrack (CD 1998 RCA Victor) 09026632552 Grusin USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Browning Bryant One Time In A Million LP EX RCA Victor LSP-4356 1970 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Dennis Day Ave Maria / Bless This House 45 VG RCA Victor 47-3006 USD $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Bonnie Tyler It's A Heartache LP VG+ RCA Victor AFL1-2821 1978 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Club Royal Orch California / All Star Trio Who Believed 10" 78 Victor 18890 1922 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Club Royal Orch Lovable Eyes / Zez Confrey I Love Her.. 10" 78 Victor 18902 1922 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Castle House Orchestra Esmeralda / Cecile 12" 78 Victor 35373 c.1914 USD $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
John Charles Thomas Trees / Home On The Range 10" 78 Victor 1525 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Club Royal Orch Can You Forget /Two Little Wooden Shoes 10" 78 Victor 18936 1922 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
POPS ROUNDUP ARTHUR FIEDLER BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA LP NM RCA Victor LSC2595 1962 USD $10.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Rock 45 Harry Belafonte - Once Was / Jamaica Farewell On Rca Victor USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
JELLY ROLL MORTON-STOMPS+JOYS-Near Mint Jazz Album In Shrink-RCA VICTOR #LPV-508 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
RARE Japanese Import~Victor SJL-2111~NM Vinyl~1972~FAST SHIPPING!!! USD $34.46 Buy It Now 1h 28m
1950s 78 Bill Boyd "These Tears Are Not for You" "Roadside Rag" RCA VICTOR - V+ USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Vintage Merry Christmas From Your RCA Victor Record Dealer 45 EP USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Louis Armstrong CD. The Complete RCA Victor Recordings. Brand new in shrink wrap USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $14.99 Buy It Now
Victor Maddern - at the Women's Institute c 1983 LP vMe VE 2 signed cover USD $11.53 [1 bids]
FEUERMANN / ORMANDY Strauss DON QUIXOTE 5 x 12" 78 RPM 1940 Victor DM-720 USD $29.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Madonna Beautiful Stranger Victor Calderone Remix 3-track In-house Promo CD RARE USD $44.00 [1 bids]
SCORPIONS IN TRANCE 1st Press LP RCA VICTOR A-1K / B1-K USD $13.09 [1 bids]
TOMMY DORSEY, VICTOR ,27974, DAY BREAK 78RPM PLAYED 1/15/2018 VG+ USD $8.42 Buy It Now 1h 32m
LIVERPOOL FIVE - THE SNAKE PROMO 45 RPM RECORD RCA VICTOR 47-8968 W/ SLEEVE USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
RARE Japanese Import~Victor SJL-94 ~NM Vinyl~Insert~FAST SHIPPING!!! USD $34.46 Buy It Now 1h 33m
COUNT BASIE - BYE BYE BABY / JUST A MINUTE (RCA VICTOR 20-3051) E USD $6.54 Buy It Now 1h 34m
12" album record vinyl "fats" on the air vol.2 RCA Victor mono RD-7553 USD $6.54 [0 bids]
TOMMY DORSEY, RCA VICTOR, 20-2419 TROMBONOLOGY 78RPM PLAYED 4/15/2918 VG+ USD $11.02 Buy It Now 1h 35m
JAZZ 45 RPM RECORD - TOMMY DORSEY - RCA VICTOR 447-0116 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's Peter And The Wolf (CD, 1992, RCA Victor) USD $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Victor Dinaire-Lost Episode (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $10.87 Buy It Now 1h 37m
10" LM 41 RCA Victor red seal Schubert Symphony B flat Munch USD $3.92 Buy It Now 1h 37m
45 EARTHA KITT SHO-JO-JI/MAMBO DE PARIS VICTOR ES-5031 IMPORT JAPAN VG++ USD $3.99 [0 bids]
45 EP MARIO LANZA RCA VICTOR ERA-130 VG++ USD $3.99 [0 bids]
The Best of Jim Reeves LP 1964 RCA Victor Records LSP-2890 Stereo VG++ USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
VICTOR SILVESTER - EXHIBITION SWING - 36 Great Dance Tracks USD $4.78 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Eddy Arnold My World LP 1965 RCA Victor Records LPM-3466 Mono VG+ USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Victor/Victoria [Original Cast] (CD, 1995, Philips) USD $6.54 Buy It Now 1h 41m
JACKIE CHAN - DIGEST LP 1983 JAPAN VICTOR BRUCE LEE KUNG FU SPARTAN X w/ obi USD $32.50 Buy It Now 1h 42m
RCA VICTOR Gift Record with new Phonograph Vinyl LP 33 Album VG+ Mono 12-600-169 USD $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
78 RPM John Barnes Wells The Rosary/ Alan Turner For All Eternity VICTOR G+ USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Victor 17899 78rpm Record A STEIN SONG Male Orpheus Quartet SWING ALONG 1915 USD $17.49 Buy It Now 1h 44m

More places to buy VICTOR music online Buy VICTOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

VICTOR Victor ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(13%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(38%)

VICTOR Victor reviews

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars Some of you may ask, what is Victor? Well, Victor is the sole solo project from Alex Lifeson of Rush. Recorded between the Rush albums Counterparts and Test for Echo, what you'll find on here is stylistically different than what Rush was doing at the time. Here, you'll find a bitter, angry, and cynical Lifeson, who creates crushing riffs as well as quirky melodies and has a genuine Zappa feel with his guitar. The band he chose for this project, while not in the same league as Rush, perform Lifeson's material well. Edwin (from I Mother Earth, who opened for Rush on the last date of the Counterparts tour, has a rough edge with his vocal approach, but it really works with the music. Blake Manning is a solid drummer, giving a solid back beat while the musical chaos ensues. Guest musician Les Claypool (of Primus fame), also finds himself playing bass on the track The Big Dance.

As I mentioned above, the music is stylistically different than anything Rush was doing at the time. One can immediately notice a change from the opening of the first song, Don't Care. This powerful 7/4 intro is complimented nicely with some gritty, bitter, and angry vocal from Edwin. Lifeson right from the start shows that this album is not an upbeat one, and he starts it perfectly. Promise begins with a nice Rush-esque riff a bit reminiscent of the Fly by Night kind of sound; it's a nice counterpart to the heavy opener. Edwin is really great on this track, hitting the notes perfectly and shining during the chorus. If I'm not mistaken the breakdown during the chorus is in 9/4, as well. Start Today features a female vocalist (Lisa Dalbello) who sounds eerily like Geddy Lee. The riff on the song is strong, despite it being one of the weaker songs on the album, in my opinion.

Mr. X is a short instrumental that has some great Alex Lifeson soloing and a strong bass presence. The drumming is also solid. At the End is a quirky track that is a bit dreary in message. It continues the pessimistic theme that the album has, and it really takes it to a whole new level. Sending a Warning has a strong 5/4 guitar riff that has feels almost as if it could have fitted in Joe's Garage or one of Zappa's early 80s albums. It's one of the stronger tracks on the album. Shut Up Shuttin' Up is an instrumental piece, save for the conversation between two women. The conversation these two women (Alex Lifeson's Wife and her best friend) is inane and disheartening as the main theme of the song is, "shut up and play that guitar". Lifeson then comes in at the end and repeatedly yells shut up. A bit of an odd track if you ask me.

Strip and Go Naked is another instrumental piece which features some nice mandola from Lifeson. It has a bit of a trance feel to it, and Lifeson's solo on it is brilliant. The Big Dance is one of the heaviest tracks on the album. It has this industrial feel. Les Claypool is a star on this track, despite it being hard to hear the bass on it. The guitar is the real treat on this track; the crushing riff really makes the song one of my favorites on the album. Victor is the last of the quirky tracks. It has a bit of a new-age feel, and the horn on it is great. The song itself is a shortened narrative (with Lifeson doing a top notch narration) of the W.H. Auden poem of the same name. The poem itself is a depressing work about a man who kills his loved ones because of voices he hears (or so the sections that are on the song reveal). I Am the Spirit ends the album with a bang. This song has a truly Rush feel on it. This song features what I believe to be the most uplifting lyrics on the album. Lifeson once again has a great feel with the riff and the heavy interludes. Overall, all Rush fans should look into Victor for a peek into the tormented life of Alex Lifeson during that time. It's not a terribly hard album to find on the internet, but you may have trouble finding it in a store. It's well worth the purchase. The music is solid, the lyrics are solid, the whole album is solid. 4/5.

Review by Menswear
4 stars The darkest and meanest Rush album.

Hey, wait! Sorry, this ain't a Rush album, but it sure sounds like a very, very disturbing one!

Yeah, disturbing. Lifeson's had some quite big demons to expel and frankly, it's more like a slap in the face than a handshake. God, I was shocked at first. Lifeson is not congratulating or thanking anybody, he's just angry and strangely aggressive verbally. The lyrics are sometimes crude, sometimes coarse (with 'f words') and generally towarding suicide, domestic violence and selfdestruction because of drug and booze abuse. Did Lifeson had problems with illegal substances or self control? With an album like that, we can have doubts about it. Oh and he's setting the score with women too. Oh man, talk about it.

Despite the scary lyrics, the whole music approach is genius. Really, Rush album should sound like that. Here, the sound is kinda dirty, with very loud guitars and sharp but simple drumming and programming. The vocals are VERY good, done by a capable Edwin (from I Mother Earth). He maybe suffers from an ego issue, but what a voice my friends! What a voice! Lifeson is also singing in the title track. Many instrumental tracks are available too! Lifeson knows how to surround himself, and my hat goes to Claypool on bass and the speaker-blowing vocals by the always attractive Dalbello, which kinda pastiche Geddy on track 3.

Commenting on and on about every song is a waste of time. It's hard to describe albums that personnal. Few bands got that deep and been that frank into self comments...Yeah, it sounds like Rush, but more like it's delinquant, aggressive cousin.

The X-treme side of Rush.

3 stars This record is really hit and miss with me. Alex I think, tried to do too many things on one album. I don't blame him either because with the RUSH machine he is limited to what he can do. So naturally there is a lot of variety here, and some of it is fantastic while other parts just don't work for me. I applaud having Edwin on vocals who was formerly with a band I enjoyed in the nineties called I MOTHER EARTH.

The first song is called "I Don't Care" and it is a huge departure lyrically from a RUSH album. The words are crude in a sexual way, and I remember the flack he received on the RUSH web-site years ago about that track. This is a dark and heavy tune that instrumentally shines. A scorching guitar solo 3 minutes in. "Promise" is one of my favourites.This is an uptempo tune that reminds me instrumentally of RUSH. A screaming guitar solo 4 minutes in before we get back to the catchy melody. "Start Today" is amazing ! Lisa Dalbello is on vocals and she sounds so much like 70's Geddy with her screaming vocals, it's eerie. Instrumentally this sounds like 90's RUSH, so there is a nice blend of styles here. The rhythm section does an incredible job on this song. "Mr.X" along with the two previous songs are my favourites.This one is an instrumental that is far too short. Lifeson shines !

"At the End" has a monologue throughout reminding me of Robbie Robertson. Some vocals after 4 minutes to end the song. "Sending Out A Warning" is one I like a lot as drums and bass standout. "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" ouch ! I don't like this one at all. 2 women complaining about their boyfriend guitar players grows old really fast. I liked it during the first listen. Not funny at all.The guitar is really good though. "Strip And Go Naked" contrasts the tasteful guitar with the intense guitar passages. Great instrumental. "The Big Dance" features Les Claypool on bass of course, and he and the drummer dominate. "Victor" is sort of strange with this monologue throughout as synths, percussion and horns all provide the soundscape. Don't like it. "I Am the Spirit" is more like it ! Tempo and mood changes in this one are plentiful. Overall though an average tune.

I remember reading that Lifeson gave his hero Mr.Page this cd to have when they met for the first time, I wonder what he thought ? For me it's good but not essential by any means. Some of these songs I really like and want to listen to them over and over, while others I could care less if I ever heard them again.

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars What would happen if Alex Lifeson left Rush to form a band with Edwin? Ever wonder that? Me neither, but here's the answer!

During Rush's 5 year hiatus after 1996 members Geddy and Alex both embarked on solo projects, both capture an element of Rush very well. Characterized by vicious solos and haunting spoken word this album is not everything you'd expect from the Rush jokester. There are moments of quirk, like the increadable instrumentals MR. X, SHUT UP SHUTTIN' UP, and STRIP AND GO NAKED, each sounds like a Rush song, but at the same time, not like a Rush song at all. Among the tracks given vocals the greatest standouts PROMISE and I AM THE SPIRIT are also given life by the Rushesque guitar. The opening riff to many of the tracks would have you believe you're listening to a missing Rush song. However, even with these great songs the best work on this album comes in the form of the title track, VICTOR. This brooding poem turned song is stupendously haunting, if you have the time to really listen to it word by word you'll know what I mean.

A well done album by an excellent artist. Recommended for Rush fans or anyone who wants to hear something very experimental. 3.5 stars.

Review by The Crow
3 stars Excellent solo project by Alex Lifeson!

This albums has a lot of points of interest... It's a real pleasure for every Rush's fan, with a lot of things in common with the Alex's motherband (both in sytle, and obviously in guitar sound...), and it's also very interesting for people who wants to hear first class experimental hard rock.

The Rush's style can be heard in songs like Promise (the riff could be in some of their last efforths...), I Am the Spirit... And specially in Start Today. If you want to hear how would have Rush sounded in the 90's with the 70's Geddy Lee's young voice, here you have an opportunity. Lisa Dalbello's singing on this song is really similar to the Geddy's one in albums like "Fly By Night" or "2112". And it's just spectacular! A very recommended track.

The other songs of the album are not bad at all... I specially enjoy the Lifeson's attempts to make guitar hero songs in he style of Joe Satriani or Steve Johnson in Mr. X, Strip and Go Naked (waht a name for a song...) and Shut Up Shuttin' Up. The more experimental songs can be also heard with pleasure, specially the funny title track and The Big Dance, with the help of Les Claypool.

Best Songs: Promise (that could be a 90's Rush song, and a good one...), Start Today (simply spectacualr, the best song of the album...), Mr. X (great instrumental song...) The Big Dance (splendid hard rock track with a great rythm...) and I Am The Spirit (I just LOVE the guitar solo...)

Conclusion: If you are a fan of Rush, or you are searching for a good prog / experimental hard rock album, then Victor is for you... It's full with good songs, proving what a great musician and composer Alex Lifeson is, and the collaborations make the album really interesting, specially the Les Claypool and Lisa Dalbello contributions. Maybe it's a bit difficult to get into the album... But after a few listenings, you'll notice that it has a lot to offer. Strongly recommended!

My rating: ***1/2

Review by Sinusoid
3 stars In essence, this is a side project from Rush man Alex Lifeson. For the longest time, I thought that this was a Lerxst solo thing, but apparently, it's credited to an entire band.

If you want a basic picture of the sound, think of the typical Rush sound with heavy cross- pollenation with the alternative rock scene of the 90's (not that I'm an expert in the latter genre). Very many songs are guitar-heavy with basic song structures, yet contain quite a bit of unusual time signatures. It can be difficult to follow the metre of ''Don't Care''.

The vocalist is very capable, but there's nothing special about his voice. This is excepting the spoken passages by Lifeson and a few ladies plus the Lee-like vocals of ''Start Today''. Instrumentally, the album is quite solid; we get the stellar guitar performances, but that's to be expected from Lerxst. I'm not offended by anything with the possible exception of the bass that gets a tad too clanky in spots.

A few songs branch off from the alt-rock/Rush-rock thing. Songs like ''Mr. X'' and ''Shut Up, Shuttin' Up'' have very funky jazz qualities to them. ''Strip and Go Naked'' reminds me of Jethro Tull for some reason barring when the song goes heavy metal. The title track is a very dark, haunting piece that is likely to scare the wee out of any young kid. It's one of the better efforts of the album marred only by the lyrics which have very many cheap rhymes.

It can get too noisy, but there's enough variety here so that casual music listeners will always find something to grasp. For the average progster, this may be a little too heavy, but Rush fans should have no problem getting into the feel of VICTOR. I quite like the album, but not enough for an essential recommendation. It feels like it's missing something that I can't place my finger on.

Review by Prog Leviathan
2 stars Alex Lifeson's solo release is practically a mandatory purchase for serious fans of RUSH, and so long as one's expectations aren't too high, "Victor" proves to be a fun, if light-weight diversion.

Know going in that the sound of this album only rarely resembles anything produced by Rush. For the most part these are straight-forward hard rock tunes, heavy on volume but light on depth. The opener is a big, noisy, riff heavy rocker fans of Lifeson's would probably guess was recorded by someone much less ambitious. While not necessarily bad, it and is numerous cousins, like the driving "Promise" or "Big Dance" don't have much going for them beyond the novelty of hearing Lifeson play outside of his band. However, these songs do score points for me for having many layers in their production, with walls and walls of guitar sound (similar to "Vapor Trails" but with more textures).

Lifeson's playing is, of course, the star of the show, and he certainly delivers. There aren't any stand up and cheer solos or memorable melodies, but rather a fine mix of (noisy) effects, and solos. These are typically short and sweet, shining especially on the instrumental or atmospheric albums. "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" has some of Lifeson's finest jamming ever, and is a clear stand out track for me. The mellow, groovy riffing and crescendo in "At the End" dinstinguished itself nicely for its composition and artistic playing. The rest is pretty much Alex Lifeson by numbers, buried somewhere in clamourus hard rock.

The vocals and lyrics are, unfortunetly, one of my biggest strikes against this album. "Edwin" has an energetic voice but its timbre-- combined with Lifeson's simplistic lyrics-- fail to impress. He's loud, overpowering, and not especially engaging.

Undeniably fun for an occasional listen, but "Victor" would have benefitted more from Lifeson's instrumental prowess than his desire to make a hard rock album. I certainly recommend it to fellow RUSH fans, but it just doesn't have enough going on to make it strong enough to stand on its own without prior enjoyment of Lifeson's body of work.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 2 Style/Emotion/Enjoyability: 3

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars My respect for Lifeson is huge. His canon boasts some of my favourite guitar solos and I admire his versatility and openness for trying out new approaches and sounds. So obviously I rushed to the store when this solo album hit the shelves.

Victor is the first solo project emanating from the Rush stable, and it is a daring album. It's like the bubble of ideas that had been accumulating in Lifeson's head over the preceding years suddenly exploded onto this album. The disadvantage is that he ends up trying to do too many things at once.

But generally I'm not disappointed, not at all. In comparison to Rush, there's a strong influence from alternative rock and noise rock, there's even some industrial sounds. More often then not, all of those influences appear in one song, which makes listening to this album into some sort of "What influences do you hear?" quiz.

As an album it doesn't hold up all too well but there's a couple of great songs and lots of creative ideas which is greatly appreciated. I wouldn't really recommended it to Rush fans though, unless you liked Vapour Trails a lot.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars Victor is the band name for Alex Lifeson (the guitarist for Rush, as if anyone here doesn't already know that) and his group on his one (so far) solo album. Being one third of Rush, it means that this album bears a strong resemblance to Rush's music. Lifeson makes little effort to differentiate the tones of his guitar from what he does with Lee and Peart.

Right from the beginning of the album, the Rush sound is there. Don't Care has a nice, complex structure, that mixes up timing in 6, 7 and 8, giving it a more progressive sound than most Rush songs since the early 80s. Promise follows, with an even more Rushlike sound. Vocalist Edwin, however, tries to add a more contemporary alternative gruff vocal style to the pieces, but with Lifeson's guitar, it still sounds more like Rush than anything else.

Lifeson does branch away from the Rush parallels on a few songs, most notably Shut Up Shuttin' Up, a funky piece, that has two women (one of whom I believe is Lifeson's wife) prattling on about Lifeson and men in general, with guitar breaks interspersed. It's quite funny. Another departure is the spacy Victor, with a spoken story, that ends up as a religious parable.

So this album is good. It's better than some Rush albums, not as good as others. But it does have some nice prog (and a cameo from Les Claypool).

2 stars Alex Lifeson is one of my alltime favorite musicians. That's why it pains me to review this album. Voluntary review it, I hasten to add. The DNA profile of this project/band is obvious. It is the guitar sound and much of the general sound of Rush. Alex is 1/3 and an important part of Rush's s ... (read more)

Report this review (#244896) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, October 16, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Alex Lifeson's solo album, Victor, released a while back in 1996, was put together during a Rush hiatus, and was a surprise to many fans. Including myself. At first I found it entertaining in a comical way but over time saw the real value in it. If you like the style of Alex Lifeson's guitar p ... (read more)

Report this review (#115077) | Posted by StyLaZyn | Wednesday, March 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The first (and I hope not the last) Alex Lifeson solo project with the collaboration of Les Claypole, Edwin and Lisa Dalbello amongst other excellent musicians that gives to this album a refreshing and very experimental sound... If you are a Rush fan maybe this one will not be of your taste. Ev ... (read more)

Report this review (#99772) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, November 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VICTOR "Victor"