MARDRAUM: BEYOND THE WITHIN

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Enslaved Mardraum: Beyond the Within album cover

Buy ENSLAVED Music
Studio Album, released in 2000

1. Stшrre enn Tid - Tyngre enn Natt (10:07)
2. Daudningekvida (3:31)
3. Entrance - Escape (7:42)
4. Ormgard (5:29)
5. Жges Draum (4:43)
6. Mardraum 03:40
7. Det Endelege Riket (5:19)
8. Ormagard II: Kvalt i Kysk Hшgsong (3:44)
9. Krigaren eg Ikkje Kjende (6:32)
10. Stjerneheimen (5:47)
11. Frшyas Smykke (1:52)

Search ENSLAVED Mardraum: Beyond the Within lyrics

Search ENSLAVED Mardraum: Beyond the Within tabs

- Grutle Kjellson / bass, vocals
- Ivar Bjшrnson / guitars, keyboards
- Roy Kronheim / guitars
- Dirge Rep / drums

CD Osmose Production (October 2000)

Thanks to ivansfr0st for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

ENSLAVED MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ENSLAVED Mardraum: Beyond the Within Music

MARDRAUM (BEYOND THE WITHIN)MARDRAUM (BEYOND THE WITHIN)
Season of Mist 2012
Mardraum (Beyond The Within) 2 x LPMardraum (Beyond The Within) 2 x LP
Osmose Productions
Vinyl$34.98
MARDRAUM (BEYOND THE WITHIN) by Enslaved (2009-01-13)MARDRAUM (BEYOND THE WITHIN) by Enslaved (2009-01-13)
Season of Mist
Mardraum: Beyond the Within by ENSLAVED (2007-02-19)Mardraum: Beyond the Within by ENSLAVED (2007-02-19)
Osmose Productions

More places to buy ENSLAVED music online Buy ENSLAVED & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ENSLAVED DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ENSLAVED Mardraum: Beyond the Within ratings distribution

ENSLAVED Mardraum: Beyond the Within reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Mardraum: Beyond the Within" is the 5th full-length studio album by Norwegian black metal act Enslaved. The album was released in 2000 through Osmose Productions.

The music on the album marks a slight transition in sound for Enslaved. While the basis in the music is still black metal/ blackened thrash (it´s very obvious that Enslaved are influenced by eighties thrash metal acts like Possessed, Celtic Frost and Kreator), progressive rock elements have begun to sneak into the music. The best examples are "Entrance - Escape", "Frøyas Smykke" and the 10:07 minutes long opening song "Større enn tid - Tyngre enn Natt". The latter is definitely the highlight of the album to me. Don´t expect a lot of progressive ideas though this is still first and foremost a black metal album. The vocals are pre-dominantly delivered in raspy and harsh black metal style but there are also clean vocals in a couple of the songs.

The musicianship is excellent. Tight playing and great harsh and clean vocals. Note that there are guitar solos on the album as well. Something that is not as dominant on earlier recordings by Enslaved. And great solos too I might add.

The production is strong and well sounding. It´s actually the first Enslaved album where it is apparent that they employ a bassist.

"Mardraum: Beyond the Within" is the first Enslaved album where I begin to understand what the band are capable of. I enjoyed both "Eld (1997)" and "Blodhemn (1998)" greatly but with "Mardraum: Beyond the Within" the band bring just enough new elements into their sound to really intrigue me. A 3.5 star rating is deserved.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
Bonnek avatar
4 stars Mardraum is the first Enslaved album of the new decade. In a way it is their most essential one as it bridges their black metal fury of the 90's with the progressive directions they would take in the 00's. The sound is still raw but the production is sharp, clear and heavy. The music has opened up compared to Blodhemn. There's more room for dark atmospherics and progressive riffs.

Mardraum is breathtaking, stunning, shocking, evil, ice-cold, morbid, ultra-aggressive, dissonant, possessed, insane, evil, satanic, primal and yet it's also full of stunning riffs, chilling melodies, rhythm, icy screams, growls and chants.The exceptional qualities are maintained through all songs. Maybe one or two could have been left off to make an even more devastating impact. This is very extreme music of course and not easy to get into, but if you can stomach it, you might be overawed by it.

This would be my favourite Enslaved album next to Isa, which is a bit more streamlined and digestible. Still, I would dare to call Mardraum the best extreme metal album ever. To compare it to classical music is maybe a bit of a stretch but this is as disturbing as the Sacre Du Printemps was almost a century ago. A worship of all things pagan, violent, untamed and hedonistic. 4.5 stars

Review by The T
2 stars For me, ENSLAVED's Mardraum honors its title, becoming a nightmare after just a few listens.

I enjoy black metal, a lot. I enjoyed ENSLAVED's most recent albums, fully progressive-black- metal records. I even liked ENSLAVED's first, Vikingligr Veldi, and the second, Frost. It's actually how far removed this album is from the black metal sound of the band's past what I can't manage to enjoy. The band started to develop into something more after Frost, something different, and we all know that work has rendered great fruits in the Norwegian's most recent records. But I think Mardraum was a slight bump in an otherwise smooth road to musical brilliance.

Mardraum avoids atmosphere and darkness and casts aside typical black elements like nostalgia and tremolo riffs and adopts a more death/thrash metal-oriented style more in the vein of 80's bands like KREATOR. The problem is, the music sounds uninspired, lacking in ideas. The band sounds like a hybrid between those 80's bands and more noisecore-oriented black metal artists like MARDUK. But while the Swedish manage to make their music attractive even amidst all the violence and noise, the Norwegian fail completely, delivering an endless procession of uninteresting riffs with little subtlety, atmosphere, or any hint of progressiveness.

ENSLAVED has never been a band that shines in violence. They shine in creating more atmospheric, epic black metal with progressive tendencies. This is proven here in MARDRAUM, an album that even lacks that semi-epic factor that informed most of the band's viking-metal's past.

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Mardraum: Beyond The Within' - Enslaved (74/100)

Mardraum: Beyond the Within routinely stands as the most overlooked album in Enslaved's extensive discography. It's a state I find pretty baffling, considering it's one of the most historically significant stages in their career. From a gloriously thrashy and straightforward outing on Blodhemn, Enslaved finally took the plunge they had been alluding to since their debut. Although the headstrong nods to 1970s progressive rock would only become obvious on Monumension, it's enough to say that Enslaved became a full-fledged progressive metal outfit on Mardraum. It's the only way I could justify some of the more outlandish stretches they take on this album.

Looking back, the leap forward they took here is awe-inspiring. Especially when I imagine listening to Blodhemn in 1998, I would never have thought they would follow it up with an album that lops everything from doom and death metal to post-rock into their trademark sound. If Blodhemn was Enslaved at their most vicious and intense, Mardraum is surely the band at their most varied. On the previous album I was surprised to hear them pulling off sections akin to Inquisition. The same goes moreso for some of the gruelling riffs here, which instantly recalled the tech-inclined death metal Darkthrone were playing on their first record. Or what about the punk-infused riffs on "Det Endelege Riket?" It goes to show that the sliding scale between prog and black metal most are intent to place Enslaved is far too narrow to encapsulate their sound. They've been doing more at every stage, and Mardraum probably offers the most surprises of all.

Mardraum is the most creatively risky effort of this band's life. In such talented hands, that could never be considered a bad thing. With that said, it's a shame that their grand entrance into the prog metal pantheon comes with its fair share of growing pains and rough edges. I don't think there's ever been a time I've listened to this album and I didn't get the impression it was messy and overly long. For all the flak I give an album like Isa, they knew exactly where they wanted to go on that album and how to get there. In good ways and bad, Mardraum strikes me as an all-inclusive flow of ideas, and damn how they might complement each other. This isn't helped much by the production, which is among the worst of their career. The organic rawness of the early stuff gives way to a murky production that sounds like it's trying to be "modern," but lacks the clarity. Again, I would blame brush this off as a matter of growing pains. And despite the massive gains they made here, there was still a lot of growing to do.

Even outside the historical context as Enslaved's first "prog" record, Mardraum has got it where it counts. The punchy riffs and varied ideas outweigh the uncertain songwriting and dry production. Although I don't necessarily mind the direction they took on future albums, I do wonder how much more impressive they might have been if they had kept their approach so chaotic and freeform. The polished streamlining of their prog tendencies beginning on Monumension (and coming full form on Isa) gave their work a greater logic, but this is probably the last album where their creatively felt appropriately wild.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Enslaved's debut album included some comparatively fancy progressive influences for black metal of its era, but their second album (Frost) took a turn back towards more straight-ahead black metal inspired by the model for Viking metal put forth by Bathory, and their next two ploughed ahead in that vein. Mardraum, by contrast, sees that progressive influence return to their music.

In turning away from a "pure" black metal approach, Enslaved bring up to date the approach of their debut album, with its curious blend of harsh and relaxing musical elements, and also takes into account both recent advances in technical black metal and in the band's own mastery of the studio. No longer feeling the need to take a particularly lo-fi or "kvlt" approach to producing black metal, the band simply take their mystical Viking metal approach in their own direction without asking for or requiring the approval of any particular metal scene.

5 stars It's a mystery that Enslaved is not more recognised in progressive rock circles. Growing a steady fan base among metalheads, Enslaved has only gained a small foothold among progressive rock listeneners. They deserve better. I mean the band is right up there - in quality - with Opeth. Not that these ... (read more)

Report this review (#94400) | Posted by Harald | Friday, October 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ENSLAVED "Mardraum: Beyond the Within"