VILOSOPHE

Experimental/Post Metal

Manes Vilosophe album cover

Buy MANES Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Nodamnbrakes (One >> Zero/Endpoint) (4:39)
2. Diving with your Hands bound (Nearly flying) (10:37)
3. White Devil Black Shroud (3:55)
4. Terminus a quo/Terminus ad quem (5:21)
5. Death of the Genuine (The Redemption Ritual) (4:43)
6. Ende (6:20)
7. The hardest of Comedowns (5:56)
8. Confluence (The Vilosophe Crux) (5:35)

Search MANES Vilosophe lyrics

- Tor-Helge Skei (a.k.a. Cernunus) / guitar, synthesizer & programming
- Torstein Parelius / bass

CD Code666 (2003)

Thanks to Tristan Mulders for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MANES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANES Vilosophe Music

THY CATALFAQUE Roka Hasa Radio CD (REISSUE) arcturus ulver manes PROG BLACK new US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
IN THE WOODS... - OMNIO Cassette Fleurity Emperor Mysticum Beyond Dawn Manes US $6.90 Buy It Now 7h 34m
How the World Came to an End * by Manes (CD, May-2007, Candlelight Records) US $7.02 Buy It Now 8h 5m
sanctus daemoneon - the unaVOIDable, manes ulver fen arcturus tulus darkspace US $5.99 [0 bids]
kalki avatara - mantra for the end of times , manes ulver arcturus melechesh fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
Manes - Maanens Natt Rare OOP Hammerheart Records Re-press of Demo Material US $8.99 [0 bids]
arbor ira - meine traume vergangene, deathspell omega leviathan manes nehemah US $5.99 [0 bids]
oblomov - communitas, masters hammer nokturnal mortum deathspell omega manes US $5.99 [0 bids]
VELVET CACOON - Genevieve CD Blut Aus Nord Leviathan Xasthur Emperor Manes Krieg US $4.99 [0 bids]
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane VINYL Burzum Mayhem Emperor Ulver Marduk US $17.99 [0 bids]
grievance - the phantom novels, dissection nargaroth manes leviathan darkspace US $5.99 [0 bids]
pofundis tenebrarum - pathogenesis, leviathan nehemah darkspace manes xasthur US $5.99 [0 bids]
netra - melancolie urbaine, manes coldworld ulver tulus shining darkspace alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
havarax - no access to the divine, seth deathspell omega darkspace manes shining US $5.99 [0 bids]
palace of worms - the forgotten, seth deathspell omega darkspace manes shining US $5.99 [0 bids]
iugulatus - call of the horned god, deathspell omega fen darkspace manes shining US $5.99 [0 bids]
MANES - VILOSOPHE NEW CD US $21.29 Buy It Now 3 days
LUGUBRUM "Face Lion Face Oignon" LP + Patch urfaust ved buens ende manes US $26.51 Buy It Now 3 days
ANCIENT "Det Glemte Riket" CD carpathian forest taake manes US $17.10 Buy It Now 3 days
ANGST SKVADRON / SO MUCH FOR NOTHING "Split" 7" urgehal manes US $11.97 Buy It Now 3 days
STRIBORG "Trepidation" CD manes mutiilation mortifera US $16.25 Buy It Now 3 days
FESTER "Silence" LP manes taake strid US $23.09 Buy It Now 3 days
ISVIND "Dark Waters Stir" CD ulver manes strid US $22.23 Buy It Now 3 days
ULVER "Shadows of the Sun" CD manes enslaved US $18.81 Buy It Now 3 days
MANES "Vilosophe" LP thorns ulver strid US $23.09 Buy It Now 3 days
MANES "How the World Came to End" CD ulver thorns US $17.10 Buy It Now 3 days
ANGST SKVADRON "Valium Holocaust" 10" MLP urgehal virus manes US $17.10 Buy It Now 3 days
Manes - Vilosophe CD US $18.12 Buy It Now 3 days
MANES Under Ein Blodraud Maane (RARE ORG 1st Press Hammerheart Records) Xasthur US $79.99 Buy It Now 3 days
In The Woods - Isle Of Men/ved buens ende/Fleurety/arcturus/negura bunget/manes US $37.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
gonfanon - call to arms, satanic warmaster shining manes darkspace nocternity US $5.99 [0 bids]
sroszek - the wild hunt, mini cd, frostmoon eclipse agalloch ulver fen manes US $5.99 [0 bids]
grievance - s/t, mork gryning dissection nargaroth emperor manes leviathan mgla US $5.99 [0 bids]
myrkvids draumar - we are war, silencer marduk shining nargaroth archgoat manes US $5.99 [0 bids]
thyrane - hypnotic mayhem summon judas iscariot craft emperor abominator manes US $4.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Manes: How The World Came To An End CD 2007 Candlelight USA Records NEW US $7.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Netra - Sørbyen CD Tiamat Sun of the Sleepless Lifelover Ved Buens Ende Manes US $3.00 [0 bids]
MANES Ned I Stillheten CASSETTE TAPE orig 1994 press black metal arcturus thorns US $37.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Manes - How The World Came To An End [CD New] US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
MANES - TEETH TOES AND OTHER TRINKETS - DMP0103 US $20.90 Buy It Now 8 days
MANES "Under Ein Blodraud Maane" LP thorns kvist ulver US $26.51 Buy It Now 8 days
Manes - How the World Came to an End CD 2007 experimental slipcase US $8.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane [CD New] US $11.94 Buy It Now 8 days
Manes - How The World Came To An End CD US $13.40 Buy It Now 8 days
MANES - HOW THE WORLD CAME TO AN END NEW CD US $15.52 Buy It Now 9 days
MANES - UNDER EIN BLODRAUD MAANE NEW CD US $22.83 Buy It Now 9 days
SATARIAL Heidenlarm CD avant-garde Russian black metal a la Arcturus Sigh Manes US $6.00 Buy It Now 11 days
How the World Came to An End - Manes New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $16.67 Buy It Now 11 days
MANES How The World Came To An End CD sinister electronica Ulver dodheimsgard US $11.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Under Ein Blodraud Maane [Analog] Manes LP Record US $60.04 Buy It Now 12 days
Manes ?- Under Ein Blodraud Maane US $29.00 Buy It Now 12 days
Manes ?- Ned I Stillheten US $29.00 Buy It Now 12 days
Manes ?- Maanens Natt US $29.00 Buy It Now 12 days
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane CD 2012 reissue black metal Hammerheart US $14.95 Buy It Now 12 days
Manes - Teeth, Toes And Other Trinkets NEW CD Digi US $20.88 Buy It Now 13 days
ROBERTO MANES**PHOENICIAN DREAM**CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 13 days
NEW - Manes Extended Play US $19.65 Buy It Now 13 days
MANES How The World Came To An End CD Dodheimsgard Ulver Ved Buens Ende US $11.69 Buy It Now 14 days
DR. Z: Three Parts To My Soul (spiritus, Manes Et Umbra) LP (South Korea, '94 r US $75.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane CD US $18.53 Buy It Now 14 days
MANES-HOW THE WORLD CAME TO AN END NEW & SEALED SLIPCASE EDITION US $5.99 Buy It Now 15 days
MANES UNDER EIN BLODRAUD MAANE 1TH ORG PRESS RARE HAMMERHEART BURZUM DARKTHRONE US $69.90 Buy It Now 16 days
MANES NED I STILLHETEN 1TH ORG PRESS RARE DEMO LIMITED 1000 BURZUM DARKTHRONE US $69.90 Buy It Now 16 days
MANES MAANENS NATT 1TH ORG PRESS RARE DEMO LIMITED 1000 BURZUM DARKTHRONE TAAKE US $69.90 Buy It Now 16 days
KLUDDE / WANHOOP Split CD thorns manes emperor black metal US $6.00 Buy It Now 16 days
MANES - VILOSOPHE - NEW CD US $12.79 Buy It Now 16 days
Manes - Teeth, Toes and Other Trinkets CD 2014 digi experimental Norway US $17.95 Buy It Now 16 days
Lethe - When Dreams Become Nightmares CD 2014 experimental Manes Eluveitie US $16.95 Buy It Now 16 days
MANES - How the World Came to an End CD US $5.40 Buy It Now 17 days
Teeth Toes And Other Trinkets - Manes US $12.80 Buy It Now 17 days
HAIKU FUNERAL If God Is A Drug CD blackened jazz/prog univers zero MZ412 Manes US $11.98 Buy It Now 18 days
Manes - How The World Came To An End (CD 2007) US $3.40 Buy It Now 18 days
TENOCHTITLAN Tezcatl CD Aztec-influenced avant-psych-doom ala raxa manes aarni US $9.98 Buy It Now 19 days
DODHEIMSGARD T-SHIRT Ved Buens Ende Thorns Arcturus Blacklodge Mysticum Manes US $29.99 Buy It Now 19 days
MANES-TEETH TOES AND OTHER TRINKETS CD NEW US $16.86 Buy It Now 20 days
FILTHY CHARITY-MANES THE CELPHARES-cd-1997-gind/death US $9.89 Buy It Now 21 days
Manes - Teeth Toes And Other Trinkets (2014) - New - Compact Disc US $12.95 Buy It Now 21 days
MANES How The World Came To An End (CD 2007) factory sealed slipcase Avantgarde US $14.99 Buy It Now 21 days
MANES Pro-Gnosis Diabolis 1993 Solve Et Coagula RED BLACK LP ved buens ende mare US $59.99 Buy It Now 22 days
MANES Pro-Gnosis Diabolis 1993 Solve Et Coagula BLACK LP ved buens ende mare kat US $59.99 Buy It Now 22 days
morbid logo t shirt death black metal mayhem beherit blasphemy burzum manes US $18.00 Buy It Now 22 days
morbid logo t shirt death black metal mayhem beherit blasphemy burzum manes US $24.00 Buy It Now 22 days
manes logo t shirt death black metal mayhem beherit blasphemy burzum slayer US $18.00 Buy It Now 22 days
manes logo t shirt death black metal mayhem beherit blasphemy burzum slayer US $24.00 Buy It Now 22 days
MANES - TEETH, TOES AND OTHER TRINKETS - NEW CD US $11.39 Buy It Now 23 days
ULVER Wars Of The Roses CD DIGIBOOK dark jazzy prog/pop arcturus manes Hexvessel US $14.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Manes-Manes - Vilosophe CD NEW US $15.80 Buy It Now 23 days
Tchaikovsky Sonata in G op.37 Busoni Indianisches Tagebuch (1915) Stephen Manes US $16.00 Buy It Now 23 days
IN THE WOODS "Omnio" 2 X LP arcturus ulver manes US $38.48 Buy It Now 23 days
FESTER "A Celebration of Death" LP ulver manes mortiis US $28.22 Buy It Now 23 days
MARERITT "Hymner Til Doden.." CD manes forest US $16.25 Buy It Now 24 days
TODESSTOSS "Wurmer Zu Weinen" CD bethlehem manes US $16.25 Buy It Now 24 days
DRAUGSANG "Seil Pa Skyggans Hav" MCD manes taake angantyr US $12.83 Buy It Now 24 days

More places to buy MANES music online Buy MANES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANES Vilosophe ratings distribution

MANES Vilosophe reviews

Review by Tristan Mulders
4 stars Manes - Vilosophe

Manes might have been a black metal band once upon a time, but most of the extremes linked to that genre will not show up on this band effort. However, the music you'll find here is still heavily rooted in the metal genre. But that's where "Vilosophe" differs from most established prog metal outfits.

These musicians experiment with their sound and this you will notice right from the start: after an eerie audio fragment we are treated to about four and a half minutes of industrial metal, whereas the next song is a 10-minute suite which uses a lot of samples and atmospheric keyboards as well as drum computers and yes... the heavy guitars are present here as well...

Now, I sort of gave up on reviewing an album song by song quite some time ago, but I feel that I should mention the beauty that's titled White Devil Black Shroud. This song is one of the most depressing, yet beautiful, songs I've ever heard. It's so simple in essence with the repetitive and pretty plain guitar melody, but that in combination with the intense, emotional vocals and the drum computer... sheer beauty... I can't help but notice how well the vocalist fits the music. His voice occasionally reminds me of Stuart Nicholson of the British prog outfit Galahad, but better!

In the end "Vilosophe" is a pretty dark and ambient trip that comes to and end with one of the most disturbing closing tracks I've ever noticed on an album. The 5-minutes long Confluence (The Vilosophe Crux) is an eerie piece of work. It's mainly a German voice-over talking about problems in his relationship with his wife. Gradually the guy's losing his mind... Quite a disturbing way of ending this excellent album... I can't say I hate this ending though... It makes me remember to occasionally pop it in my CD-player.

Funniest thing is that in essence this is a pretty aggressive album, yet because of the use of a lot of electronic elements this album does not 'feel' like a (heavy) metal album. Heavy guitar riffs reminiscent of the better metal recordings are in good balance with Nine Inch Nails-like atmospherics and ethereal drumming that could have come from a Prodigy album! Overall, more than excellent mix of ambient, metal and electronic music.

Now, if that doesn't make you remotely interested, I don't know what will...

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#117640) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 08, 2007

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Vilosophe" is the 2nd full-length studio album by Norwegian experimental rock/metal act Manes. The album was released through code666 Records in May 2003. Manes started their career in 1993 as a black metal act and all releases ( three demos and one full-length album) prior to "Vilosophe" are deeply rooted in that genre. The band were in those days a two-piece consisting of vocalist Sargatanas and Tor-Helge Skei (a.k.a. Cernunus) playing everything else. Sargatanas left the band after the debut album "Under ein Blodraud Maane (1999)" though and took the extreme black metal vocal style with him. Tor-Helge Skei opted to continue with the band and he recruited new musicians for the recording of "Vilosophe".

The style of music on "Vilosophe" is completely different from the music on "Under ein Blodraud Maane". As mentioned the extreme black metal vocals are completely gone from the music with the departure of Sargatanas as well as most of the extreme metal riffing. New industrial and electronic (at times almost trip-hop like) elements as well as clean vocals have been added to the sound instead. I can see this alienating old fans of the band but the new experimental electronic rock/metal style probably won them new ones instead. The dark atmosphere is intact in the music which is a thing I find is of great importance. In fact this is a very dark and melancholic album, itīs just not dark and "evil" sounding like the bandīs black metal output. The tracks are rather simple but featuring multible sonic layers. Acts like Ulver, OSI, Nine Inch Nails, Fates Warning (the "Disconnected (2000)" album) and a bit Queensrĸche (the darkest moments from the "Promised Land (1994)" album) are valid as references. There are very few extreme metal riffs on the album. I actually only count one that could be considered extreme by some and thatīs the opening riff of the brilliant "Death of the Genuine (The Redemption Ritual)". Note the extremely dark and eerie sample in the beginning of that song too. Thatīs how you start a song if you want it to have an impact on the listener.

The musicianship is excellent and especially the vocals are really strong, emotional and melancholic. I find the simple and repetitive melody lines very beautiful and they keep growing on me with every listen.

The production is quite frankly fantastic. Lots of audible layers and a powerful punch. Rock/metal music with lots of electronic elements doesnīt always sound good to my ears but it works very well here.

"Vilosophe" was a complete surprise to me upon inital listen. I wasnīt expecting it to sound like it did even though I had read reviews that tried to explain the sound. This is one of those albums you have to listen to yourself to fully absorb. Itīs not that itīs a complicated album by any means but it is pretty original sounding. The music on this album wins because of the melancholic and bleak atmosphere it creates and not because of complex riffing and intriguing song structures. But sometimes atmosphere is enough and in this case itīs more than enough. I really find "Vilosophe" to be an excellent release and a 4 star (80%) rating is fully deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#217336) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 22, 2009

Review by memowakeman
4 stars This is one of those Metal-related albums I really enjoy!

If you know my tastes, then you know I am not really keen on metal in any of its forms, however I do enjoy some albums that I could count with one hand's fingers. To your surprise, one of those albums lies in this review. Some (at least 3) years ago I am not really sure if it was Assaf or Bryan who introduced me to this band, and I accepted because the name of the band caught my attention, nothing more. So later I listened to the album and since the first time I could say I enjoyed it. Since then, I play the album from time to time and have a good time while listening.

Manes is a band from Norway who started playing doom (as I have read), but in their second album their sound changed drastically, and they gave us "Vilosophe". It was released in 2003 and it is the one I am going to review. The album features eight songs and a total time of 47 minutes. The first song is entitled "Nodamnbrakes" and starts with a female voice speaking, some seconds later the music start at the same time as the singer's voice, anyway that female voice keep sounding lower, as background. Then the song turns heavier and the feeling is more intense, there is a nice but nervous keyboard sound. The structure is basically the same during the whole song, but it is nice to listen to that sudden change from soft to heavy.

"Diving with Your Hands Bound" is a long ten-minute track. A weird, experimental but really interesting composition which can be divided in two parts. The first one is soft, the music begins slowly and it progresses little by little. It makes some nice mood changes, then there is the voice along with drums, and an excellent use of synth, creating a calm atmosphere. Despite it may sound repetitive, it is good to appreciate the new figures and elements that are appearing while the seconds pass. This structure continues until minute three and a half, when it makes a short stop and then a new one is being built up. The guitars are more metal oriented, heavier but without being annoying. Since here, the song is actually very repetitive, but I would say addictive. They managed to connect the music with the listener properly, even with a listener like me, who don't like metal. However, a metal expert may argue this is really a metal album, I do not about it. And the second part of this track begins at minute eight and a half, when it seems to be fading out, but actually there is a beep keeping the song alive, and after some seconds an electronic composition starts. There are some guitar figures on it, but the song ends with that electronic sound.

"White Devil Black Shroud" is one of my favorite tracks. It is a soft guitar based composition whose atmosphere shares calm and even beauty. The drums accompanying those guitars make a great job, but also you have to notice the bass lines, which are also very interesting. This song is short but full of emotion and colors. When I play the album, I always use to repeat this track.

"Terminus a Quo/Terminus ad quem" starts with nice guitar notes that are repeating themselves for several rounds. After a minute the song makes another sudden change and becomes heavier and emotional. The drums and guitars are excellent, the vocals in moments sound far, leaving the instruments taking the lead role, but that's good, I like that sound actually. And worth mentioning, again, the use of synth, the atmosphere shares always the right feeling. The song finishes with some fading guitar and piano notes.

"Death of the Genuine" is a darker song, and you will notice it since the first seconds due to the voice and synth sound. Later it turns heavier and metalish, thanks to the guitars. The song progresses little by little, and seconds after the first guitar apparition, some kind of electronic drums enter. Again, their use of programming and electronic elements adds a special, yet interesting flavor.

"Ende" Is another of my favorite tracks, and I could say it is one of their most representative songs. It begins soft but little by little it is progressing. The drum work is excellent in the whole song and the guitars and synthesizer sounds help a lot. A very surprising thing here, is that they added a sax or trumpet sound, don't really know if it was done with the synth or the instrument itself appears as an extra and special guest. Though the song may be repetitive, I really dig it and enjoy it, especially the last part where the vocalist sings with all his heart.

"The Hardest of Comedowns" is another great song that combines the metal side of Manes, with their electronic experimentation. All the almost six minutes of this song have the same structure and the same mood. Until the final minute the music is fading out and the sound of a rain appears. When this happens, you are suddenly on the last track which is named "Confluence". Particularly I would not include this track because it is only spoken word, maybe If I understood the lyrics I could enjoy it more, but it is the voice with the rain, nothing more.

An excellent recommendation and a true surprise, what a great and original album this is. My final grade will be four stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#294431) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 13, 2010

Post a review of MANES "Vilosophe"