HOME + NEW YORK SUITE

CD 1 Home
1. This Life (2:30)
2. Hurt (5:35)
3. Moving On (6:02)
4. My Home Town (Far Away) (3:56)
5. Brave New Land (1:02)
6. The Journey (6:21)
7. Towers of Hope (2:10)
8. Demons (5:16)
9. Morning Sunlight (2:43)
10. Joe (11:14)
11. A Dream (1:11)
12. The Visionary (6:00)
13. Journey's End (7:41)
14. The Travellers Lament (1:15)
15. Home (4:13)

Total time 67:55

CD 2 New York Suite

1. Arrival (10:58)
2. Home From Home (8:09)
3. White Lies (8:43)
4. Truth (10:53)
5. This Life - Reprise (1:21)

Search MAGENTA Home + New York Suite lyrics

Search MAGENTA Home + New York Suite tabs

- Rob Reed / keyboards, bass, guitars, backing vocals, recorder, tambourine, Grand piano, mandolin, acoustic guitar
- Christina / lead vocals

- Christian Philips / guitar, backing vocals
- Troy Donockley / Uilleann pipes, whistles
- Mal Pope / backing vocals
- Lorrain King / backing vocals

F2 Music Special Edition: Home (200606A) + New York Suite (200606B)
In September 2006 the New York Suite was released seperately

Thanks to erik neuteboom for the addition
and to Snow Dog for the last updates

MAGENTA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MAGENTA Home + New York Suite Music

2004
ChameleonChameleon
Imports 2011
MAGENTA - METAMORPHOSIS [BONUS DVD] * - NEW CD US $19.21 Buy It Now 7h 19m
MINK DEVILLE - RETURN TO MAGENTA [SLIPCASE] - NEW CD US $15.80 Buy It Now 10h 23m
vinyl lp - MINK DeVILLE - Return to Magenta WILLY DeVILLE US $11.04 Buy It Now 12h 3m
MAGENTA "All Over" Norwegian Pop Rock Mortiis Sprite Zero 3 Tracks GREEK MAXI-CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
DEADMAU5 Series 2 Mini Collectable Figure "MAGENTA MISPRINT" RARE BOXED FIGURES US $32.25 [0 bids]
MINK DEVILLE - RETURN TO MAGENTA (LTD) NEW CD US $24.98 Buy It Now 15h 35m
SKYLAB - Magenta - Deleted 1998 UK 2-track 7" vinyl,p/s US $8.05 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Jam-A-Ditty, Sultry Sunset, Magenta Haze, Golden Feather45rpm EP US $10.00 [0 bids]
Donovan 7" I Maria Magenta / The Intergalactic Laxative PS Portugal US $4.99 [0 bids]
Rusted Root - Magenta Radio - 1998 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $8.97 Buy It Now 20h 30m
SAUL BASS ART COVER MAGENTA VARIANT THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM RECORD 1955 ORIG US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
OTTAVIANI, Giuseppe - Magenta - CD US $21.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Magenta - The Twenty Seven Club Gatefold, Pic Inner Sleeves (NEW 2 12" VINYL LP) US $48.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Deep Purple - Above and Beyond Magenta 7" Vinyl only 2000 numbered worldwide US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Magenta - Giuseppe Ottaviani New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Ottaviani,Giuseppe - Magenta [CD New] US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ben Sidran On The Cool Side 1985 Magenta NM!! US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BUSHIDO Magenta BUNBURY SHUARMA MORTI HEROES DEL SILENCIO CD SINGLE PROMO FIRMAS US $12.99 [1 bids]
Mink Deville - Cabretta/Return To Magenta CD US $24.64 Buy It Now 2 days
DONOVAN "Maria Magenta" RARE 7" SPAIN- VERY GOOD++ US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MAGENTA HARVEST - VOLATILE WATERS - INV097 US $18.86 Buy It Now 2 days
Magenta Harvest - Volatile Waters (NEW CD) US $19.74 Buy It Now 2 days
This empty flow- Magenta skycode 2 x LP US $35.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DUKE ELLINGTON In a Magenta Haze UK LP 1965 US $16.13 Buy It Now 2 days
AUTHORITIES Kung Pao Au Go-Go LP 2012 180 Gram WHITE & MAGENTA SPLATTER VINYL US $9.98 [0 bids]
9 de Julio by Juan D'Arienzo (CD, May-2007, Magenta) US $6.14 Buy It Now 2 days
20 Grandes Exitos by Enrique Rodriguez (CD, Sep-2011, Magenta) US $6.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Mink Deville - Return To Magenta NEW CD US $23.07 Buy It Now 2 days
Mirlos: Continentales by Los Continentales/Los Mirlos (CD, May-2007, Magenta) US $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
Viviendo Aventuras by Aventura (CD, Jun-2012, Magenta) US $9.02 Buy It Now 2 days
MAGENTA-SECRETS IN MOTION-RARE MAXI REMIX CD-ZYX-TRANCE-EURO HOUSE-1994-4 TRACKS US $3.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LP: WHITE FENCE - Cyclops Reap MAGENTA VINYL w/ Flexi SEALED NEW US $17.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Ogi - S/T LP NEW Reish Synth Pop 180G Ltd. Ed Magenta Vinyl Hungarian US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MINK DEVILLE Return to Magenta LP NM 1978 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Duke Ellington--In A Magenta Haze 1965 Tops Stereo Vinyl LP Record US $9.50 Buy It Now 3 days
EDENSHADOW - HAIL NEW JULY 2012 + ROB REED (MAGENTA) PROG FEAST CAERLLYSI FAV US $8.31 Buy It Now 3 days
MINK DEVILLE RETURN TO MAGENTA capitol new zealand LP VG/EX+ US $12.08 Buy It Now 3 days
Duke Ellington - In A Magenta Haze vinyl album US $4.82 [0 bids]
Giuseppe Ottaviani - Magenta (NEW CD) US $17.32 Buy It Now 3 days
Giuseppe Ottaviani - Magenta Live [CD New] US $18.76 Buy It Now 3 days
Devonte Hynes PALO ALTO SCORE RARE MAGENTA Vinyl LP MP3 Soundtrack Blood Orange US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Youthbitch - I'm in Love with Girls 7" EP new Dirtnap magenta vinyl w/ download US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Cabretta/Return to Magenta by Mink DeVille (CD, Sep-1996, Raven) US $18.73 Buy It Now 3 days
Magenta by Giuseppe Ottaviani *New CD* US $12.36 Buy It Now 3 days
Minus the Bear They Make Beer Commercials Like This OOP VINYL LP GRAY/MAGENTA NM US $70.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MAGENTA-Live At The Point 2007-2008 2CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DIGHAYZOOSE Magenta Manta Love Tree 1993 Christian CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LEILA WHITE-Magenta 11tracks Japan CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MINK DEVILLE - CABRETTA/RETURN TO MAGENTA - NEW CD US $18.64 Buy It Now 4 days
Mink Deville - Return To Magenta CD US $18.81 Buy It Now 4 days
DONOVAN - MARIA MAGENTA 7" VINYL US $9.66 Buy It Now 4 days
In A Magenta Haze LP - Tops - 9766, Duke Ellington, Good US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Bunny "Melting" EBM/Pop Limited Edition Specially Autographed With Magenta Pen US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Clases de Tango, Vol. 1 by Marcela Duran/Carlos Gavito (DVD, Sep-2006, Magenta) US $11.62 Buy It Now 4 days
Exitos de Oro by Los Panchos (CD, Sep-2011, Magenta) US $8.03 Buy It Now 4 days
INTROITUS Elements CD Swe PROG (Magenta, Karnataka, Mostly Autumn, Arena, Nexus) US $16.99 [0 bids]
Kaleidoscope String Quartet Magenta new sealed jazz CD Swiss Bern Switzerland US $16.98 Buy It Now 4 days
MINK DeVILLE Return To Magenta LP EX+! 1978 US $8.39 Buy It Now 4 days
Bargrooves: Magenta 2 CD Boxset Excellent US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Lot Of 4 Bargrooves 2 CD Sets Collection Azure Magenta Citrus Black Excellent!!! US $84.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Ben Sidran - On The Cool Side - LP - 1985 Magenta / Windham Hill - NM - Promo US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DMA Pheel Phree LP RED/ORANGE/MAGENTA Vinyl X/500 Joyful Noise Jookabox US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
AT THE DRIVE IN IN CASINO OUT SEALED VINYL LP GREY PINK MAGENTA SPLATTER US $6.00 [2 bids]
DUKE ELLINGTON Magenta Haze LP 9 Track (blm52011) DUTCH Black Lion 1983 US $8.45 Buy It Now 5 days
DEVONTE HYNES Palo Alto LP 18 Track Magenta Coloued Vinyl With Download (wiglp33 US $32.89 Buy It Now 5 days
RICHARD BEIRACH Solo Piano Breathing of Statues ORIGINAL LP Magenta NEAR MINT US $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Anthony Braxton w/ Hank Jones "Seven Standards 1985" Vol. 1 - Magenta Lp US $7.99 Buy It Now 5 days
DUKE ELLINGTON & HIS ORCH. BLUE SKIES/MAGENTA HAZE/THE BLIES 1LP US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Cure- Pillbox Tales 2 lp SET BLUE/MAGENTA WAX #d/50/100 copies! Punk/Goth US $35.69 Buy It Now 5 days
MAGENTA SKYCODE - RELIEF [MAGENTA SKYCODE] - NEW CD US $13.19 Buy It Now 5 days
Duke Ellington In A Magenta Haze MONO DG US $7.00 [0 bids]
DUKE ELLINGTON - IN A MAGENTA HAZE - EP 7" 45 VINYL RECORD PIC SLV 1965 US $6.93 Buy It Now 5 days
Orchid - Chaos is Me LP - Magenta - Ebullition NEW COPY Screamo Locust Spazz US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Duke Ellington - In A Magenta Haze LP - Golden Tone - Jazz US $10.01 Buy It Now 5 days
Magenta - Art And Accidents NEW CD US $20.38 Buy It Now 6 days
MAGENTA - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T30) US $11.21 Buy It Now 6 days
GIUSEPPE OTTAVIANI - MAGENTA LIVE 2014 - 2xCD DJ LIVE SET BRAND NEW US $15.90 Buy It Now 6 days
MAGENTA (Gypsy 83 Soundtrack) Anders Odden CD APOPTYGMA Celtic Frost GOTH US $19.98 Buy It Now 6 days
GIUSEPPE OTTAVIANI - MAGENTA [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.35 Buy It Now 6 days
Giuseppee Ottaviani - Magenta [CD New] US $16.93 Buy It Now 6 days
DUKE ELLINGTON, IN A MAGENTA HAZE - LP C4096 US $5.00 Buy It Now 6 days
GIUSEPPEE OTTAVIANI - MAGENTA (UK) NEW CD US $30.36 Buy It Now 6 days
ANTHONY BRAXTON- SEVEN STANDARDS VOLUME II-VINYL LP RECORD-MAGENTA MA-0205 1986 US $16.92 Buy It Now 6 days
MITCHEL FORMAN Train of Thought ORIGINAL 1985 LP Magenta Records NEAR MINT US $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
BEN SIDRAN On the Live Side ORIGINAL LP NEAR MINT Magenta Records US $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
RICHARD BEIRACH Breathing Of Statues 1982 MAGENTA NEW AGE LP US $5.99 [0 bids]
MARIMBA BAND - COOK ROAD RECORDINGS LP- MAGENTA COLORED VINYL - DUPLEX RECORDING US $14.95 [0 bids]
Donovan - Maria Magenta/Intergalactic... - 1973 Dutch Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $8.00 Buy It Now 7 days
MAGENTA Chameleon CD 2001 Neo PROG UK (New and Sealed) US $21.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Mink Deville - Return To Magenta [CD New] US $17.98 Buy It Now 7 days
Waterproof Underwater 4G MP3 Music Player OLED Screen Water Sports FM Radio US $29.09 Buy It Now 7 days
UK #1 1956 KAY STARR 78 " ROCK & ROLL WALTZ " HMV POP168 RARER MAGENTA LABEL EX- US $15.32 Buy It Now 7 days
DONOVAN MARIA MAGENTA 1974 UNIQUE RARE EXYU 7"PS US $15.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Disco de Tu Corazon, Vol. 2 by Miranda! (CD, Dec-2007, Magenta) US $18.93 Buy It Now 7 days
Magenta Harvest - Volatile Waters NEW CD US $16.28 Buy It Now 7 days
Magenta Live 8715197011624, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $25.66 Buy It Now 7 days
Musicraft 483 DUKE ELLINGTON Tulip Or Turnip / Magenta Haze JAZZ swing 78 RPM US $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Mink De Ville(Vinyl LP)Return To Magenta-Capitol-E ST 11780-UK-VG/VG US $12.89 Buy It Now 8 days
MINK DE VILLE 'RETURN TO MAGENTA' ORIGINAL US IMPORT LP US $14.50 Buy It Now 8 days
A. VACAREZZA La Biblia Gaucha Esteban Velardez MAGENTA 9020 Arg Rare LP US $40.00 Buy It Now 8 days

More places to buy MAGENTA music online Buy MAGENTA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MAGENTA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MAGENTA Home + New York Suite ratings distribution

MAGENTA Home + New York Suite reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars This new CD by UK band Magenta (with many guest musicians) is a concept story about a woman who emigrates from Liverpool to the USA in the Seventies. The extra CD entitled The New York Suite (five songs) tells her stories in the 'Big Apple'. By the way, The New York Suite will be released seperately in September 2006.

Listening to this new CD I notice that Magenta has succeeded to sound more original and the compositions contain more variety. The Magenta sound is still based upon the pleasant voice by Christina, the strong guitar work by Chris Fry (a great Floydian inspired solo in Towers Of Hope and captivating, Eastern sounding guitar play in A Dream) and flowing, very melodic and harmonic compositions. These are tastefully coloured by the keyboards like mellow piano, organ and harpsichord in Moving On, the distinctive sound of the Fender Rhodes electric piano in My Home Town and wonderful classical orchestrations in Joe and Journey's End. The final two songs feature the Uillean Pipes, especially the contrast with the fiery wah- wah guitar is great.Though Magenta sounds a bit polished and at some moments a bit tame, the band has delivered their best and most captivating album!

The extra CD (Limited edition) contains five alternating songs, remarkable is the blend of the Seventies Yes sound (Howe guitar, Squire bass and vocal harmonies) because on the above reviewed CD Home, Magenta showcases a more original sound. The best tracks are Arrival with classical orchestrations, bombastic eruptions, howling guitar and fluent synthesizer runs and the compelling White Lies with lots of changing climates and pleasant work on guitar, keyboards and flute.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#79715) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 29, 2006

Review by Gatot
3 stars It's not what I expected when I pre-ordered

Based on great advertisement right here at this site I pre-ordered this special edition couple of weeks ago and arrived to me quite fast - faster than my expectation. It's great, because typically it takes three weeks from UK to my hometown. When I opened the package I was bit disappointed with the CD package as it did not meet my expectation. Reading the communication / promotion kit from the label I expected the special edition package would come with something that look luxurious: wonderful artwork and beautiful sleeve notes. I found nothing and it's enough for me to say that the packaging is very disappointing. When I say so, I compare with recent prog music issues like The Flower Kings "Paradox Hotel" which even I ordered the regular edition from amazon but I got a really beautiful package with 2 CDs. All the artwork and CD sleeves are truly excellent and it sets new standard of prog music package. It's also the same thing with The TANGENT "A Place In The Queue" which has a truly wonderful artwork by Ed Unitsky (the Roger Dean of 2000s, I think). Also, I can find another great package of Roine Stolt's "Wallstreet Voodoo" or even Arena "Peppers and Ghosts". All of them are presented wonderfully. But Magenta "Home" Special Edition? It's nothing man! It's very disappointing, I tell you! It's not worth the money at all. Even, there is no single word from the band telling the background of this album etc. (which I easily found with Roine Stolt's "Wallstreet Voodoo" at the first page, telling how he grew up with the late 60's music etc. etc.).

OK OK .. that's the CD package, what about the music? Fortunately you have good music even though the CD package is lousy. For those of you who love beautiful melody which by first spin engages your mind, this is definitely an album for you because almost all tracks are accessible to many ears. Neo prog lovers would definitely love this album as well because the music resembles the old days of neo prog with sometimes mellow music, slow to medium tempo, nice and stunning guitar work and touchy piano work. I don't have the right words in English but for my local language the key characteristic of neo prog is "mendayu-ndayu" (oh .. for those who understand how to translate this term into English, please do let me now). It's basically a composition that flows smoothly and naturally (most of the time you can predict how the chords and notes are about to move from one segment to another) with mellow or slow to medium tempo and relatively simple arrangement. A good example of this characteristic is shown completely and perfectly at track 3 "Moving On" of Disc One.

Good music, accessible, memorable melodies, good harmony - and then what? That's a challenging question I have for the band. Why? Comparing to their other studio albums like "Revolutions" and "Seven" this album is musically much more original. As you might check with my review on "Revolutions", I truly adore this album even though I know that the music is not really original - many influences from Genesis and Marillion - I like the melody and composition. The next album "Seven" gave the band a much maturity in delivering their music even tough there are segments that resemble the music of Yes. For this aspect, I do not see any similarity of any segment in the whole disc One that resembles to other older bands. I salute the band on embarking their music into a much original composition.

The music flows naturally from one track to another, with good melody and nice vocal of Christina. The problem I have with listening to this album in its entirety is the similarity of nuance from one track to another - it seems flat to me and it does not lift my emotion in any segment of the music through out one entire disc. Yes there are memorable segments but there are little variations in terms of compositions that finally make me getting bored with the music. Oh yes, there are great sounds of organ that remind me to Procol Harum but with modern sound and also stunning guitar work, but then what? I still get bored. It's probably there is nothing energetic in the music.

Disc 2 is a bonus disc for special edition package and it comprises 5 tracks. "Arrival" is a great composition with beautiful orchestra combined with neo prog music, characterized with stunning guitar work combined with keyboards. This track is quite energetic and should have been included as part of Disc One for variation. I enjoy the guitar solo work - it's really excellent. The other tracks are also good ones with excellent sound production.

Overall, this is a good album with excellent sonic production (Disc One and Two). The compositions are also good but when the CD is listened to in its entirety, I get bored because little variations from one track to another. The CD package is lousy artwork. The band must learn from The Flower Kings, The Tangent, Pain of Salvation etc. on how to create excellent artwork Look at the front cover artwork - you might associate this with first Peter Gabriel's first album. Peter's one is better than this one. And I think, artwork and CD package in prog music is a crucial element. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#80211) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 03, 2006

Review by richardh
3 stars This comes as something of a disappointment.The previous 2 albums released by the Welsh band are interesting symph prog.I particularly like Seven and awarded that 5 stars.However by comparison this seems to lack ideas and focus.The first half hour does have some good songs but is thinly padded out.Could have done with a bit of editing.3 stars.

The second disc has the word 'suite'.OK so its longer tracks but nothing here is close to being as good as the Seven album.At best 3 stars as well.

Magenta are a band desperately in need of new ideas I fear.

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#83603) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 13, 2006

Review by Muzikman
4 stars Magenta reminds me of one my favorite progressive rock bands, Mostly Autumn. They have a great female lead singer backed by fine musicianship. Christina Booth leads the band with her warm dreamy vocals and every track comes delivered to your ears via the tasteful guitar work of Martin Rosser, Chris Fry, and the many instruments manned by Rob Reed. Reed plays bass, guitar, piano, and mandolin to name a few select pieces of equipment. He is a versatile gent if I do say so myself. On the bottom end, Allan Mason-Jones sits behind the drum kit whilst Dan Fry keeps good time with his battery mate on bass. This is the core group. There are many other key contributors to this project that help to shape the sound as well (see credits).

Magenta's music is appealing yet effective, not always aggressive, but it invites you to jump in and become engrossed in the entire package. Home offers an array of very well thought out and played music that demonstrates each member's adeptness with each instrument. This is prog-rock after all so it's not cut and dried, it never is. This is the special edition with a five-track bonus disc titled New York Suite. The bonus disc turns out to be just as solid as the main disc in the set; it has a strong group of tracks.

It's a bit tough to single out favorites when you enjoy an entire set so completely, so let me just say that there is not a bad cut on this album. I heard nothing worth offering any objective criticism over. All the elements are in place here-good guitar, excellent vocals that tell the story well, keyboards that provide a nice bed of atmosphere for the rest of the instruments and most importantly, know exactly when to come in and build a bridge that leads to another time, place, and tempo in a composition. It all comes together quite nicely and as a listener, I could not ask for more. Magenta has perfected their presentation and sound in a most impressive way.

Prog-Rock can be a very difficult genre to make an impression and get the attention you deserve; it is a worldwide community but very small in comparison to other more popular styles of music. I have to say that these tracks are some of the best I have heard to date on a progressive rock release. I have heard my share as I always do so that is significant from my own perspective. Other than rock, prog is my first choice when I listen to music. So a job well done Magenta, you got my attention and made me a believer. So now, you have a new fan that will look forward to subsequent releases.

Keith "MuzikMan" Hannaleck-www.muzikreviews.com

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#85946) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 06, 2006

Review by progaardvark
5 stars I must say that Magenta's Home seemed a disappointment to me among initial listens, most likely because I was expecting another "Seven" or "Revolutions." I think that may be the reason it's received a somewhat flat response here on Prog Archives and elsewhere. You tinker around with a successful formula and your fans drop it the minute they first hear it. That's so unfortunate for this third release by Magenta, again in the form of a wonderfully written concept album. After initial listens didn't click with me, I put it away and came back to it in recent weeks and have been pleasantly impressed with it ever since. It's a "grower," meaning that repeated listens will show its true musical beauty. You all know what I mean, don't you?

Home is again another masterpiece delivered by the talented Rob Reed and the exquisitely beautiful voice of Christina Booth. Like on previous releases, Reed honors his predecessors showing influences from the greats. On Home, Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Marillion seem to be the major influences, though they still take a back seat to the evolving Magenta sound. I even sense a little Alan Parsons Project thrown in, unless my ears are deceiving me. Reed still showcases his Howe-influenced guitar work, but seems to have picked out a few pointers from some time listening to David Gilmour's work.

I still don't think Home is as good as Seven or Revolutions, but that doesn't mean it isn't a masterpiece. If Seven or Revolutions are at an even 5 stars, Home should be considered a 4.85. That's close enough in my book to give it the five star rating. Again, another highly recommended masterpiece in the symphonic/neo prog realm of our favorite genre.

Send comments to progaardvark (BETA) | Report this review (#149580) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 08, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the type of exercise I particularly dislike. A second and expanded-special edition of an original album. Why the hell does a band release an album twice ? The second time being a double CD featuring some additional songs ? Why not releasing the best of their recording sessions in ONE and ONLY great album?

The answer does not belong to me. Only my rating.

The original album was not very personal (but none of Magenta's albums were). This "special" two CD version being a good additional piece of work. There is actually no need to get the single studio version (other than a price issue of course).

If you combine these comments with the ones I have made for the genuine album, you can only be comforted with the fact that this album is good, but nothing extraordinary. "Magenta" should only have released this two CD sets version only.

"Home From Home", is a great bonus. Vocals are of course superb and the bombastic feeling is extremely catchy. No doubt that it is a highlight of this second part while the most symphonic number "White Lies" is another one here.

This expanded version is the only one to grab if ever this band is suited to please you. Nothing grandiose on this additional CD. Crafted vocals, long and sophisticated songs some of which are of great value ("Truth").

Anyway, "Magenta" should have released this special edition on the spot. As such, it is only fooling the fan (and his money).

Still, three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#152687) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2007

Review by Warthur
3 stars Magenta's Home started life as a double concept album, but hoping to reach a broader audience the murky prog morass of the midsection (the New York Suite) was trimmed from the running order and released as a separate EP; later, a special edition would include it as a second CD, and most recently the album has been rereleased with the New York Suite tracks restored to their original intended position in the running order.

Sadly, none of the configurations of Home - with or without the New York Suite in place (I have both so I've been able to experiment) manage to meet the expectations established by the magnificent Seven. Without the New York Suite, the balance of the album is a bit skewed towards contemplated piano-plus-vocals pieces which become samey and tiresome over the course of the album; with the Suite in place, the album feels bloated and fails to sustain my interest.

In short, I think trimming back the material was the right idea, but the band went the wrong way about it - rather than selecting the proggiest part of the piece and excising it, they should have trimmed back the filler over the course of the entire album and produced a single-album concept with each of the different sections (pre-New York, New York itself, and post-New York) condensed down to a point where it's all killer and no filler. That would require substantially more work than just removing some songs - actual existing songs would need to be modified - but I think the results would have been much more satisfying than either the castrated short version or the overstuffed "director's cut" of the album are.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#700901) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 30, 2012

5 stars Home was a disappointment to many after the triumph of Seven. Maybe people wanted "Seven Vol. 2" or perhaps "Eight." Instead, Rob Reed decided to go with a full on concept album. Whereas Seven had been an album revolving around an idea, with songs that did not connect, Home has one story line. ... (read more)

Report this review (#148333) | Posted by johnobvious | Wednesday, October 31, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I had to post this review now as it had a certain poignancy in terms of the tale it tells. Recently, a close member of the family emigrated to the USA and as I am currently working in the city of Liverpool, it just seemed appropriate. The reason? Well, it tells the story of a girl who, leave ... (read more)

Report this review (#122266) | Posted by ProgRobUK | Tuesday, May 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I have made sure that I listened to this double album at least 4 times before considering writing this review in the light of the 2 previous reviews. Let's make one thing perfectly clear - THIS IS AN EXCELLENT ALBUM. Personally I don't really care too much to write lines and lines of review r ... (read more)

Report this review (#80984) | Posted by | Monday, June 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MAGENTA "Home + New York Suite"