I MAY BE HUNGRY BUT I SURE AIN'T WEIRD

RIO/Avant-Prog

Captain Beefheart I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird  album cover

Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1992

1. Trust Us (Take 6) (7:19)
2. Beatle Bones N' Smokin' Stones (Part 1) (3:14)
3. Moody Liz (Take 8) (4:37)
4. Safe As Milk (Take 12) (5:05)
5. Gimme Dat Harp Boy (3:38)
6. On Tomorrow (Instrumental) (7:01)
7. Trust Us (Take 9) (7:27)
8. Safe As Milk (Take 5) (4:17)
9. Big Black Baby Shoes (Instrumental) (4:54)
10. Flower Pot (Instrumental) (3:59)
11. Dirty Blue Gene (Instrumental) (2:42)

Search CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird lyrics

Search CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird tabs

- Don Van Vliet / harmonica, vocals
- Alex St. Clair Snouffer / guitar
- Jeff Cotton / guitar
- Jerry Handley / bass
- John French / drums

UK CD on Sequel NEX CD 215 (1992)
Japanese The Alternate Captain Beefheart (1993)CD on TEICHIKU RECORDS TECX-25422

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird Music

I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't WeirdI May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird
Sequel Records UK 1995

More places to buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART music online Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAPTAIN BEEFHEART DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird ratings distribution

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird reviews

Review by HolyMoly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams
3 stars Strictly Naked

I actually got this CD before I was ever able to locate a copy of its official-release counterpart, Strictly Personal. While I do enjoy the heavy handed psychedelic production of that album, the unfettered versions still feel like the definitive versions to me. This particular release has since been made obsolete by the readily available reissues of Safe as Milk and Mirror Man (while Strictly Personal still languishes in relative obscurity), as bonus tracks on those CDs, so don't go out of your way to find this CD unless you're a collector.

The essay inside talks about the whole scandal involving the release of the aforementioned Personal album, how it was released on a small label (Blue Thumb) by producer Bob Krasnow and lots of psychedelic effects were pasted on to the songs after the fact, a move (supposedly, though I have doubts) that was not sanctioned by Beefheart nor the band. This release was the first attempt to set the record straight, even though I doubt Beefheart himself had any involvement in the release of this CD. It presents the majority of the album's tracks in their unfettered form, presenting them as tough blues-based psychedelic rock numbers, with strong hints of the jagged rhythms that would come to full fruition on Trout Mask Replica the following year.

"Trust Us" is my favorite of these, and it's presented here in two versions, though it takes a real close listen to tell them apart. It's probably the tune that comes closest to the Trout Mask sound. My other favorite is a song that never ended up on an official album, the mesmerizing "Moody Liz", a woozy song with brief group vocals at the beginning followed by a long instrumental coda - very similar in approach to the final album's song "Kandy Korn".

What's here is good stuff, certainly very handy for my collection, at least until the reissues came out, which has made this CD somewhat superfluous. Also, several of these tracks are incomplete or otherwise uncompelling ("On Tomorrow" is done as an instrumental, for example, and it doesn't make an especially interesting instrumental). But otherwise it's quite strong.

Send comments to HolyMoly (BETA) | Report this review (#964632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013

4 stars Remarkable that this album has not been rated and reviewed earlier. It's special in a couple of ways. At first because it's partially the unmolested version of Strictly Personal. This album, with the typical early Beefheart - phase 3 I would say - kind of music, was more or less ruined because ... (read more)

Report this review (#125335) | Posted by jeromach | Sunday, June 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAPTAIN BEEFHEART "I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird "