THE BEATLES' SECOND ALBUM

Proto-Prog

The Beatles The Beatles' Second Album album cover

Buy THE BEATLES Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1964

1. Roll Over Beethoven (2:49)
2. Thank You Girl (2:09)
3. You Really Got A Hold On Me (3:06)
4. Devil In Her Heart (2:30)
5. Money (2:53)
6. You Can't Do That (2:43)
7. Long Tall Sally (2:08)
8. I Call Your Name (2:12)
9. Please Mr. Postman (2:39)
10. I'll Get You (2:11)
11. She Loves You (2:23)

Search THE BEATLES The Beatles' Second Album lyrics

Search THE BEATLES The Beatles' Second Album tabs

- Paul McCartney / bass, vocals
- John Lennon / guitar, vocals
- George Harrison / guitars
- Ringo Starr / drums

LP Capitol Record ST 2080 (1964)

Thanks to nestor.jul for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES The Beatles' Second Album Music

Abbey RoadAbbey Road
Remastered
EMI 2012
Vinyl$18.21
THE BEATLES vinyl MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR orig SMAL-2835 ~ EX US $4.99 [1 bids]
29m 46s
Introducing...The Beatles / Vee Jay SR 1062...Version 1/Counterfeit Copy...VG++ US $4.25 [5 bids]
29m 47s
THE BEATLES vinyl HEY JUDE original APPLE ~ VG+ US $6.24 [3 bids]
32m
Radio Show: GOODTIME OLDIES! #92-26 HOLLIES, BEATLES, FOUR TOPS, BADFINGER, US $19.99 Buy It Now 33m 44s
vintage THE BEATLES 65' CASSETTE 4xt 2228 US $19.99 Buy It Now 34m 51s
THE BEATLES vinyl HELP! original EX capitol SMAS-2386 colorband US $10.50 [3 bids]
35m 28s
THE BEATLES 'LET IT BE' VINYL LP 1970 US APPLE RECORDS AR 34001, STEREO EX US $19.99 [0 bids]
38m 22s
THE BEATLES RARITIES WITH BUTCHER COVER GATEFOLD!!! US $11.99 Buy It Now 38m 55s
Beatles John Lennon-Imagine+It's So Hard w/jukebox strip US $5.00 [0 bids]
39m 19s
Beatles-Ticket To Ride+Yes It Is jukebox strip for Capitol 45 # 5407 US $3.00 [0 bids]
40m 33s
The Beatles Songs, Pictures, Stories Of The Fabulous Gatefold Vee Jay VJLP 1062 US $269.99 [0 bids]
40m 37s
BEATLES VINYL beatle's greatest LP from Sweden ExEx FREE US SHIPPING 1963-1965 US $22.99 Buy It Now 42m 41s
The Beatles : Abbey Road CD (1988) US $9.98 Buy It Now 43m 5s
vintage THE BEATLES Magical Mystery tourCASSETTE 4xt 2835 US $19.99 Buy It Now 43m 31s
PAUL MCCARTNEY VINYL mccartney LP Beatles VG+VG- vinyl Record SHIPS US FREEapple US $18.99 Buy It Now 44m 18s
vintage THE BEATLES' second album CASSETTE 4xt 2080 US $19.99 Buy It Now 45m 49s
vintage BEATLES ringo starr and his all-star band cassette US $19.99 Buy It Now 48m 17s
The BEATLES / HARD DAYS NIGHT 1st stereo orig. UAS 6366 VG++ (EX) I cry cover US $39.99 Buy It Now 53m 4s
Beatles Hits From Me To You GEP 8880 Vinyl 45 US $75.00 Buy It Now 53m 14s
Beatles Penny Lane /Eleanor Rigby GEPO 70045 Vinyl 45 US $75.00 Buy It Now 53m 17s
vintage BEATLES Mind Games cassette apple 4xw-3414 US $19.99 Buy It Now 53m 25s
Beatles - ANTHOLOGY III SAMPLER - US Paul McCartney John Lennon Promo CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 53m 28s
1969 THE BEATLES The Ballad Of John And Yoko US 45 Apple 2531 EX Stereo US $15.25 Buy It Now 53m 46s
The Beatles A Hard Day's Night LP UAL3366 MONO Original 1F/1F rare oop vinyl OST US $59.00 Buy It Now 56m 10s
The Beatles "Strawberry Fields" 7" EAR-20234 Japan John Lennon Paul McCartney US $24.99 Buy It Now 57m 47s
The Beatles I Feel Fine / She's A Woman 45 RPM Capitol Records 5327 US $3.00 [0 bids]
59m 44s
BEATLES JOHN LENNON PLASTIC ONO BAND 12", 33 RPM, LP and Rock - Apple US $10.00 [0 bids]
1h
vintage THE BEATLES Help! CASSETTE Capitol records 4xt 2386 US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h
The BEATLES 45 September In the Rain Rare CLEAR variant #CC 88 US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
LEARN TO PLAY THE BEATLES HITS NOTE FOR NOTE LICK LIBRARY GUITAR DVD NEW US $26.82 Buy It Now 1h 3m
GEORGE HARRISON, THE BEATLES STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS 2 US $6.26 Buy It Now 1h 5m
GEORGE HARRISON, THE BEATLES STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS 4 US $6.26 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The WOODSTOCK SINGERS Walkin Thru The Park LP Bob Dylan BEATLES Cover Songs US $21.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The Beatles A Hard Days Night (W/MISPRINT)I CRY INSTEAD/ I'LL CRY INSTEAD (LOOK) US $250.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
The Beatles - Russian Release 45RPM Octopus Garden/Something/Come Together US $59.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
THE BEATLES Past Masters 2CD Mini LP US $16.49 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Introducing The Beatles Lp SR1062 STILL SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
vintage THE BEATLES Rubber Soul CASSETTE Capitol 4XT 2442 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
JOHN LENNON BEATLES WALLS AND BRIDGES JAPAN CD NEW 15 TRACK OOP RARE TOCP-67778 US $47.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Meet the Beatles LP 1st debut stereo st2047 WEST COAST #6 RARE BMI 1 version! US $499.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Radio Show: GOODTIME OLDIES! #92-28 SAM & DAVE, BEATLES, KINKS, BEACH BOYS, CCR US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Beatles Rare 7 My Bonnie 1961 German Pressing In Orginal Sleeve Release 23Oct 61 US $287.00 [5 bids]
THE BEATLES 'ROCK 'N' ROLL MUSIC' CASSETTE [1976] US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 24m
6 HOT HITS Vol 1 Piano Keyboard Guitar ShMusBk BEATLES Celine Dion CORRS ++ US $7.14 Buy It Now 1h 28m
PAUL MCCARTNEY VINYL Wings LP Red Rose Speedway Record BEATLES ships us free US $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
THE BEATLES - Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus US $204.81 [17 bids]
THE BEATLES JAPAN ORIGINAL FROM LIVERPOOL 8 LP BOX SET With OBI MINT US $199.90 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Beatles Thermal Vacuum Travel Tea Coffee Mug Abbey Road 100% Official New Bnib US $33.68 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles For Sale Album Cover Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia New US $36.96 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles Help Silhouette Red White Black Iron On Patch 100% Official New US $7.07 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Beatles "Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby" 7" John Lennon Paul McCartney US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
BEATLES - COMPLETE ED SULLIVAN SHOWS STARRING THE BEATLES NEW DVD US $23.73 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Paul McCartney Beatles Candlestick Park Shirt [Large] 1960-2013 Remember 8/29/66 US $24.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES TOP OF POPS SET OF 3 MINT STAMP STRIPS US $20.57 Buy It Now 1h 44m
THE BEATLES TOP OF POPS SET OF 4 MINT STAMP STRIPS US $25.04 Buy It Now 1h 48m
THE BEATLES NO. 5 LP JAPAN APPLE PRESSING 781 US $37.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Beatles 2 CD album (Double CD) Anthology 2 USA CDP834448-2 CAPITOL 1996 US $41.55 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Beatles 3" CD single (CD3) I Want To Hold Your Hand UK CD3R5084 PARLOPHONE US $44.51 Buy It Now 1h 50m
LOT OF 4 8 TRACK TAPES BEATLES JOHN LENNON GEORGE HARRISON + THE ROLLING STONES US $15.99 [0 bids]
LOT OF 4 8 TRACK TAPES BEATLES FLEETWOOD MAC ERIC CLAPTON DOOBIE BROTHERS US $12.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES PLEASE PLEASE ME LP Early pressing (4th?) US $14.68 [8 bids]
THE BEATLES WITH THE BEATLES LP 2nd issue Dominion Belinda credit US $12.22 [5 bids]
BEATLES [Vinyl LP] THE ESSENTIAL BEATLES, TVSS8, Oz made US $22.31 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Beatles The Early Years - Cobblestones Sleeve UK vinyl LP album record 2870111 US $33.12 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES I Hope We Passed The Audition CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 1h 55m
JOHN LENNON / YOKO ONO - DOUBLE FANTASY - UK VINYL LP - THE BEATLES US $9.77 [0 bids]
BEATLES MYTHOLOGY 1965 2 CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
THE BEATLES MEET THE BEATLES LP STEREO CAPITOL RAINBOW LABEL 839 US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
JOHN LENNON THE BEATLES STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS 2 US $6.26 Buy It Now 2h
JOHN LENNON THE BEATLES STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS 3 US $6.26 Buy It Now 2h
JOHN LENNON THE BEATLES STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS 5 US $6.26 Buy It Now 2h
the BEATLES Magical Mystery Tour SEALED Capitol LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
"ALL THIS & WORLD WAR II" (BEATLES) 2-LP BOX 1976 1st US (20th Century) VARIOUS US $25.88 Buy It Now 2h 8m
BEATLES MYTHOLOGY 1962 - 1963 2 CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
BEATLES Introducing... The Beatles CD Mini LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
THE COOKIES Chains/Stranger In... DIMENSION Girl Group Northern Soul 45 BEATLES US $7.98 Buy It Now 2h 23m
ORIGINAL SONGBOOKS X 6 -BEATLES,BACHELORS,CHUBBY CHECKER,BILL HALEY etc US $39.15 Buy It Now 2h 24m
THE. BEATLES -WITH THE BEATLES (1ST PRESSING) US $48.93 Buy It Now 2h 28m
* BEATLES LOT Of 14 Topps Trading Cards B/W Green Text Series 2 US $17.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles - Beatles For Sale CD 1988 (Good) US $9.00 Buy It Now 2h 31m
THE BEATLES YESTERDAY AND TODAY 12 " RED VINYL US $58.12 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES ROCK N ROLL MUSIC VOL 2 LP 781 US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
THE BEATLES - SEALED CD "INTERVIEWS #2" US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
THE BEATLES Rubber Soul - 1965 Vinyl LP 331/3 RPM Mono T- 2442 USA Pressing US $17.99 [0 bids]
SHRINKING GODS Philippines BEATLES Obladi Oblada I Will US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Ringo Starr ?- Ringo's Rotogravure LP Beatles US $6.83 Buy It Now 2h 48m
SARAH VAUGHAN-SONGS OF THE BEATLES-JAPAN CD B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 2h 50m
BILLY PRESTON "What About You" Yugoslavia Apple 7" 45 PC BEATLES George Harrison US $13.40 [0 bids]
1965 THE BEATLES Yesterday / Act Naturally US 45 Capitol 5498 EX+/Generic US $20.25 Buy It Now 2h 53m
45 rpm JOHN LENNON - #9 DREAM /WHAT YOU GOT- Purple Capitol 1878 - BEATLES - NM US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Dr. Fink & The Mystery Band Hooked On A Beatles Tribute Cd New! Sealed!! US $17.49 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Here, There & Everywhere The Songs Of The Beatles Cd WINDHAM 1999 New! Sealed!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
THE BEATLES 2 X CD - LET IT BE... NAKED - NEAR MINT US $13.03 Buy It Now 3h 13m
THE BEATLES : BEATLES FOR SALE MONO CD NO REPLY EIGHT DAYS ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC US $9.44 Buy It Now 3h 14m
THE BEATLES HELP! USA CAPITOL CREDIT MADE W GERMANY CD YESTERDAY TICKET TO RIDE US $14.34 Buy It Now 3h 14m
THE BEATLES - LOVE ME DO - GREEN APPLE SHAPED VINYL US $12.72 [10 bids]
THE BEATLES - LOVE ME DO - RED APPLE SHAPED VINYL US $11.04 [7 bids]
(use registered mail) The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night cd deluxe edition 2009 US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 24m
THE BEATLES in HEBREW COVER VERSION ISRAEL CD OOP US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 24m
The Beatles - 1967 - 1970 The Blue Album CD [2CDs] Remastered New Sealed US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES The Beatles' Second Album ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(14%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(7%)

THE BEATLES The Beatles' Second Album reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars Again, let me say it up front. This isn't prog music but it's here and it deserves a decent review. It's easy to criticize this album in retrospect but, at the time, we youngsters in the USA didn't care about packaging. We just wanted more Beatles music. Period. We wanted more of that uptempo merriment that "With the Beatles" had given us and this LP delivered in spades. Just look at the lineup. There's not a slow song to be heard, just intense rock and roll from front to back. I'm sure the Fab Four weren't happy with the label taking liberties with the English versions of their albums and repackaging them for the states as they saw fit but it still got the job done as far as we fanatics were concerned. Beatlemania was in full swing and this "2nd" collection of songs hardly ever left our turntables unless it was to replay the first album. It definitely rocks, even today.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#82309) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 30, 2006

Review by Guillermo
2 stars The story about The Beatles`relationship with Capitol Records (their U.S. label) is well known today: First, Capitol refused EMI`s and Brian Epstein`s offer to sign The Beatles to release their first singles and their first album in the U.S. So, Epstein and EMI looked for smaller labels to release The Beatles`music in the U.S. (among them, Vee Jay Records, Swan Records, etc.). It wasn`t until The Beatles`success started in other parts of the world that Capitol was interested in them. So, not wanting to lose more time and the opportunity to earn a lot of money, and also taking advantage of their strongest monetary power, they asked EMI and Epstein to sign The Beatles for Capitol, Capitol then sued Vee Jay Records (a modest record label) to have the rights for all The Beatles`recordings in the U.S., and started to release their own versions of The Beatles`albums in the U.S. which only had 12 songs or less per album (in comparison to 14 per album as in England), releasing one album after the other, using remaining songs from previous albums, singles and their B-sides, to release more Beatles` albums than in the U.K. They also did they own mixings of the songs for their albums!

After EMI released their original U.K. albums on CD, they released their fist four albums only in Mono, so since then the old Fans who wanted to listen to the Stereo mixings of these albums had to listen to the old U.K. LPs, or to buy the U.S versions, which were available until 5 or 6 years ago in the cassette format. I was one of those Fans who thought that, but I discovered in the Web that the mixings were different, so before purchasing those cassettes (which I didn`t buy in the end) I was disappointed by this. One has to buy those 4 U.K. Stereo albums in the used LPs shops!

I really don`t give the same importance to these U.S. albums. IMO, they were more "marketing exercises" done by Capitol (and other labels in the U.S., like Polydor, MGM and Atco with the Tony Sheridan recordings) in the `60s with the goal to earn more dollars from the U. S. Fans (with the exception of the "Magical Mystey Tour" and "Hey Jude" albums which IMO are very good albums). So, I only comment that this "The Beatles` Second Album" is another collection of songs selected from their U.K. albums available then, plus songs from singles and their B- sides and English E.P.s., with different mixings in comparison to the U.K. releases.

If the old American Fans of The Beatles are nostalgical to listen to their first eight Capitol albums, now they can buy them in 2 Boxed Sets in the CD format, called "The Capitol Albums" Vols. 1 and 2.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#88939) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 04, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars This album was a US release only. It will top the US charts and dethroned no other album than "Meet The Beatles". It is was a unique example in music that the same band was replacing himself on that spot!

Actually, this is a compilation album which comprises songs already released in the UK. But as usual, the US and the UK releases were not the same (covers, title, track list).

There are no less than six cover songs of which my favourite ones are the rocking ones "ROB" and "Long Tall Sally". On The melodic side "Please Mr. Postman" is of course very good as well.

Some of the material available here was also dropped from their album or were unreleased at that time. "You Can't Do That" is one of them (should have sit on "A Hard Day's Night"). Its career will be limited to the B side of "Can't Buy Me Love". You can understand why when listening to his.

Same applies to "I Call Your Name". Written by John for another artist; namely Billy Kramer, a Liverpool citizen who sung successfully several unreleased songs from the Fab Four ("Do You Want To Keep A Secret", "I'll Keep You Satisfied" and "I'll Be On My Way" amongst others. The latter topping the British charts!).

This album is not a must own of course. Only one great Fab Four song with "She Loves You". This is a bit "thin". For collectors and die-hard fans only. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#155482) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars This is actually misleading because this album was basically released in the USA only. My friend loaned me the CD and it was surprising that the songs were basically taken from the band's previous four albums. It's good that newbie do not need to buy each individual album - just purchase this one and you will get the essence of The beatles music from this compilation. As for my personal taste, actually this compilation does not suit me perfectly because "I Saw Her Standing There" and "I Should Have Known You Better" are not here in this compilation. It's probably my taste does not fit with USA taste, and I can understand that because I do not like Bruce Springsteen who is adored widely in the USA. That's just different taste.

But you will get a good song "Please Mr, Postman" which shows how pop music can be composed in such a way that can transcend into something a bit of rock but still maintaining the premise being a pop song. That's basically the core competence of The Beatles: making a pop music so lively and it sounds like a rock music. You will find it also in songs like "You Can't Do That", "She Loves You", "Roll Over Beethoven". As the main intent of this CD was the band's introduction to the USA market, the list of songs served the purpose quite well.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#156992) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2007

3 stars This LP was the second album of the Beatles which Capitol Records produced for the north-American market. It is said that especially John Lennon wasn't too pleased with what the Americans did and one can understand his reasons: Capitol took material from the UK-"With The Beatles"-album (second re ... (read more)

Report this review (#80219) | Posted by Guzzman | Saturday, June 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE BEATLES "The Beatles' Second Album"