MUSIC IN A DOLL'S HOUSE / FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT

1. Scene Through The Eye Of A Lens (2:52)*
2. Gypsy Woman (3:30)*
3. The Chase (2:13)
4. Mellowing Grey (2:48)
5. Never Like This (2:18)
6. Me My Friend (2:00)
7. Variation On A Theme Of Hey Mr. Policeman (0:23)
8. Winter (2:25)
9. Old Songs For New Songs (4:17)
10. Variation On A Theme Of The Breeze (0:40)
11. Hey Mr. Policeman (3:13)
12. See Through Windows (3:43)
13. Variation On A Theme Of Me My Friend (0:22)
14. Peace Of Mind (2:22)
15. Voyage (3:35)
16. The Breeze (2:50)
17. 3 X Time (3:48)
* - bonus tracks

CD2 (39:34)
1. The Weaver's Answer (4:56)
2. Observations From A Hill (3:11)
3. Hung Up Down (3:12)
4. Summer '67 (3:19)
5. How-Hi-The-Li (4:56)
6. Second Generation Woman (3:13)
7. From Past Archives (3:21)
8. Dim (2:31)
9. Processions (2:48)
10. Face In The Cloud (2:53)
11. Emotions (5:09)

Search FAMILY Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment lyrics

Search FAMILY Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment tabs

- Roger Chapman / lead vocals, harmonica, tenor saxophone, percussion
- John Whitney / lead guitar, steel guitar, piano, organ
- Jim King / tenor & soprano saxophone, harmonica, piano, vocals
- Ric Grech / bass guitar, violin, cello, vocals
- Rob Townsend / drums, percussion

2CD See For Miles Records Ltd (1999)

Thanks to Fassbinder for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

FAMILY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FAMILY Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment Music

STEVE MILLER THE BEST OF STEVE MILLER RARE UK LP+INNER FAMILY TREE SLV*NM/VINYL US $18.73 Buy It Now 31m
The Osbourne Family Album [PA] (CD, Jun-2002, Epic (USA)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 31m 21s
SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE Stand! CD BRAND NEW Bonus Tracks US $16.83 Buy It Now 31m 29s
Stoneman Family Fire On The Mountain UK LP 1964 NM 1st Press Big Ball In Montery US $50.00 [0 bids]
33m 34s
Family-Old Songs New Songs-Rare Original U.K. Prog LP-Reprise 34001-Near Mint US $9.99 Buy It Now 34m 48s
THE POPPY FAMILY VG++ Which Way You Goin' Billy PS-574 London Susan Jacks album US $55.96 Buy It Now 37m 53s
FAITHLESS bring my family back CD 4 track radio edit b/w paul van dyk mix, jan d US $8.53 Buy It Now 41m
FAITHLESS bring my family back CD 3 track b/w god is a dj first ever mix and ins US $8.53 Buy It Now 41m 1s
FAMILY ALBUM various CD 9 track compilation featuring chrome, endemic void, elix US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 8s
FAMILY CAT airplane gardens CD 3 track b/w atmospheric road and amazing hangover US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 11s
FAMILY CAT airplane gardens CD 3 track edit promo b/w atmospheric road and amazi US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 14s
FAMILY CAT goldenbook CD 4 track b/w bring me the head of michael portillo,blood US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 14s
FAMILY CAT goldenbook CD 2 track promo b/w bring me the head of michael portillo US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 16s
FAMILY CAT river of diamonds CD 3 track re-navigated version b/w sandbag your he US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 17s
FAMILY CAT wonderful excuse CD 2 track promo b/w unweildy world (family1) uk ded US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 19s
FAMILY CAT springing the atom CD 3 track b/w prog 4 and happy to be here (fcuk00 US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 19s
FAMILY CAT wonderful excuse CD 4 track b/w unwieldy world, sign of the bloodcell US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 22s
FAMILY GO TOWN innocence and experience ep CD 4 track featuring maybe tomor US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 22s
FAMILY GO TOWN turtle e.p. CD 4 track b/w pick me up. cheat me and pretty t US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 24s
FAMILY STAND shades of blue CD 4 track radio edit b/w lp version, new world orde US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 28s
FAMILY GO TOWN turtle e.p. CD 4 track b/w pick me up. cheat me and pretty things US $8.53 Buy It Now 42m 28s
FAMILY TREE miss buttons CD 17 track (crrev185) uk rev-ola 2007 US $17.08 Buy It Now 42m 31s
SLY & THE FAMILY STONE hits 45 THANK YOU / EVERYBODY IS A STAR ~ MEMORY LANE VG+ US $3.00 Buy It Now 45m 2s
Lighthouse family-Happy-2002 promo cd single US $8.53 Buy It Now 45m 20s
Funk & Wagnalls - LP - Chopin - Family Library of Great Music - Album #5 US $6.50 [0 bids]
49m 20s
Funk & Wagnalls - LP - Tchaikovsky - Family Library of Great Music - Album 2 US $6.50 [0 bids]
49m 34s
Mega Rare 12" Italo Queen Family ?- We Will Rock You Maxi LP ITALY ONLY US $59.99 Buy It Now 54m 36s
LIGHTHOUSE FAMILY - Postcards From Heaven - 1997 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.70 Buy It Now 57m 15s
FREDDY FRESH last true family man CD 22 track (eyeukcd017) uk eye q 0 US $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Blue Moon of Kentucky by Johnny Seay (CD, Sep-2006, Bear Family Records... US $16.64 Buy It Now 1h 4m
PAT BOONE THE BOONE FAMILY CHRISTMAS 1975 THISTLE TR-1001 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Family Screams Of Passion Extended Us 12" US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
MARILYN MANSON Portrait of American Family RUSSIAN CD - Universal Russia US $19.90 Buy It Now 1h 7m
VINTAGE " A PARTRIDGE FAMILY CHRISTMAS CARD " RECORD ALBUM FROM BELL RECORDS US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Family Values Tour '99 [PA] by Various Artists (CD, May-2000, Flawless/Geffe US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
MARC & TANNER FAMILY happy birthday sweet sixteen JAPAN 7" UP-484-B kR4 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
FAMILY ATLANTICA - Family Atlantica - 180 gram vinyl LP + MP3 download code US $30.95 Buy It Now 1h 15m
THE FACEDOWN FAMILY -Facedown Family Sampler -Christian Music CCM - Rock Punk CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Sly & The Family Stone Life ARCHIVE MASTER Audiophile Press, 180g, Steam Cleaned US $36.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Sly & The Family Stone Greatest Hits 1970 Epic 1st Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED US $36.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
FAMILY FODER Warm/Desire 7" Single PURL 6/FRESH 8 Ex FREE POST US $25.65 Buy It Now 1h 21m
GONG GLOBAL FAMILY/G - LIVE IN BRAZIL: 20 NOVEMBER 2007 * - NEW CD US $11.82 Buy It Now 1h 24m
There's a Riot Goin' On by Sly & the Family Stone (CD, Oct-1990, Epic (USA)) US $6.19 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Bob Booker and earle doud present The First Family vinyl 33 lp US $5.00 [0 bids]
THE 700 CLUB COLLECTION FAMILY CHRISTMAS MEMORIES VOLUME 1 CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
LEON BIBB - A FAMILY AFFAIR [LEON BIBB] [5038787200721] - NEW CD US $22.15 Buy It Now 1h 32m
LEWIS FAMILY Anniversary Celebration LP US 1962 orig Starday SLP 161 US $10.98 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Classical and family vinyl LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
GLASS FAMILY - JDC 428 - Mr. DJ - red wax - SOUL 45 M- US $3.60 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Willie Nelson Family Bible Song Bird Record 1980 in excellent condition... US $4.99 [0 bids]
SISTER SLEDGE - We are family; 1979 MINT- vinyl US #1 US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Welton Lane & Family, autographed "Who is it? I know you're there" album US $4.99 [0 bids]
NEW CD COLLINGSWORTH FAMILY THE LORD IS GOOD 2013 US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
CONNIE FITCH & DWIGHT WITH THE FAMILY - VICTORY IN JESUS NEW CD US $25.14 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Mozart Piano Concerto in B Flat Sealed Funk & Wagnalls Family Library US $8.09 Buy It Now 2h
The Russell Family "The Roscoe Russell Family" US $2.99 [0 bids]
Sheb Wooley LP Country Boogies, Wild And Wooley! 1948-55 Bear Family M- US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Strauss Waltzes Sealed Funk & Wagnalls Family Library US $8.09 Buy It Now 2h 5m
THE UPSETTERS - FAMILY MAN,UK TROJAN TR 7748. 1970.BOSS REGGAE. US $51.29 Buy It Now 2h 8m
THE POPPY FAMILY, WHICH WAY YOU GOIN' BILLY?, 7" SINGLE. US $8.55 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Spirit - Family That Plays Together (Digitally Remastered, 2007) US $13.15 Buy It Now 2h 17m
We Are Family US $4.21 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Very Rare Stoneman Family Cassette, "Old Time Songs", Smithsonia US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 18m
MATIC HORNS//GUSSIE P/SIP A CUP FAMILY - Delaware Avenue Skank - 10" US $21.46 Buy It Now 2h 19m
LIGHTHOUSE FAMILY 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/3752 US $34.20 Buy It Now 2h 19m
The Saga Continues... by P. Diddy & The Bad Boy Family Japan Edition Brand New US $5.59 Buy It Now 2h 21m
BLACK GOSPEL LP Louis Freeman Favorite Family Poems Vee Jay 1140 US $13.50 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Swiss Family Robinson Tale Spinners For Children Vinyl Record US $2.90 [0 bids]
Sly & The Family Stone Greatest Hits Rock Funk Soul Breaks US $3.00 [0 bids]
Partridge Family LP 1971 Sound Magazine ( stereo ) US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 25m
The Gloryland March The Masters Family STARDAY SLP 246 sealed new US $24.88 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Duck the Halls: a Robertson Family Christmas, The Robertsons, Good US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE RITCHIE FAMILY Rare Vinyl Lp BRAZIL 20th Century Lbl SEALED! US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Bring the Family by John Hiatt (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $1.99 [1 bids]
CASSETTE: INTASTELLA and the family of people INDIE US $6.82 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Absent Kid-I Burnt Down the Family Business CD New US $10.24 Buy It Now 2h 44m
HANK WILLIAMS, JR. - FAMILY TRADITION [HANK WILLIAMS, JR.] - NEW CD US $13.72 Buy It Now 2h 44m
THE HAPPY GOODMAN FAMILY---I'M TOO NEAR HOME---10-10-1963 SIMS---LP-113----VG+ US $1.49 [0 bids]
RITCHIE FAMILY - BRAZIL + THE BEST DISCO IN TOWN 7" TWO VINYL SINGLES US $8.53 Buy It Now 2h 46m
THE BEST OF THE HAPPY GOODMAN FAMILY--- SIMS---LP-117----VG+ US $1.49 [0 bids]
The Partridge Family Shopping Bag Album US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Family Rain - Under The Volcano - Deluxe Edition (NEW CD) US $21.79 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Radical Face - Family Tree: The Branches (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $32.48 Buy It Now 2h 50m
FAMILY BBC Sessions 1968-1969 2LP UK Psych Prog MINT VINYL limited to 500 copies US $34.99 [1 bids]
Radical Face - Family Tree: The Branches (NEW CD) US $19.22 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Partridge Family 45 Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted/You Are Always On My Mind US $0.99 [0 bids]
Family Dogg 1969 8 x 6 Press Photo US $25.65 Buy It Now 2h 53m
FUNKY FAMILY/TELEX Splice 01 12" NEW VINYL Brainwash US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
The Carter Family - Will You Remember Me (CD, Fruit Tree, DISC ONLY) US $0.99 [0 bids]
3 LOT 20TH CENTURY 45 RECORDS JUKEBOX 1970'S: CARL DOUGLAS, DEFRANCO FAMILY + US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
The Vaughan Brothers - Family Style (CD, Epic, AM) US $0.99 [0 bids]
DOESN'T SOMEONE WANT TO BE WANTED -- PARTRIDGE FAMILY US $15.95 Buy It Now 2h 59m
JAMES YORKSTON AND THE BIG EYES FAMILY PLAYERS mary connaught and james o'donnel US $8.53 Buy It Now 3h 3m
JAMES YORKSTON AND THE BIG EYES FAMILY PLAYERS martinmas time/i went to visit th US $8.53 Buy It Now 3h 3m
THE SPINNERS-THE FAMILY OF MAN LP CHEAP US $8.96 Buy It Now 3h 5m
JOHNNY GUITAR WATSON Ain't Movin / Clone Information Family Clone STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
FAMILY- OLD SONGS, NEW SONGS RARE FOLK ROCK 1971 EXC US $17.08 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Songs of the Famous Carter Family by Flatt & Scruggs (CD, Oct-1990,... US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Soul 45 SLY & THE FAMILY STONE Small Talk on Epic US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Soul 45 SLY & THE FAMILY STONE Runnin' Away on Epic 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m

More places to buy FAMILY music online Buy FAMILY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FAMILY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FAMILY Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment ratings distribution

FAMILY Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment reviews

Review by The Whistler
3 stars Interesting, most folks go for the bonuses at the end. Of course, this compilation is chronological, ain't it? And so, before Doll's House, the saga of Family begins with these two sides of a single, both quite nice.

First things first, the opening to "Scene Through the Eye of a Lens" is remarkably pretty. Folksy little bits here and there...and then it transfoms into a psycho rocker! Emphasis on "psycho," mind you, not on "rocker." Don't want you expectin' nothing too heavy. Big ole Eastern influence, goofy woodwinds, cool drum bashing. Doesn't last long enough to become anything though.

"Gypsy Woman," despite the mystical name, is a down and dirty blooz rocker. It's the better of the two for sure, with some very cool guitar and harmonica, and plenty more kit bashing. It also doesn't last too long, but it doesn't need to.

Oddly (or perhaps not so oddly) enough, you can hear the roots of the masterful bombast of Music in a Doll's House (which you'll hear next anyway) in these tracks. In fact, were they on that album, perhaps I'd think more of them (yeah, I know, I'm biased. Show me a reviewer who ain't, I dares ya!).

All in all, this compilation is a very nice way to get both of Family's first albums. Suitably pretentious (excuse me, I mean "fairly extensive") liner notes to boot. But I somehow doubt that anyone but the Family diehards (are you out there?) would truly need to hear either of the bonuses, or honestly want to look at THAT many pictures of Roger Chapman's balding pate.

Send comments to The Whistler (BETA) | Report this review (#135565) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 31, 2007

Review by UMUR
4 stars This boxset which includes the first two studio albums from British rock act Family was released in 1999. In addition to all the original tracks from the two albums, the two first tracks on CD1 are bonus tracks taken of a Family single release. Both Scene Through The Eye Of A Lens and Gypsy Woman are typical Family songs in the slightly psychadelic/ experimental rock style that they played.

Music In A Doll's House:

Music In A Doll's House is the debut studio album from Family. I had never heard about Family before listening to this album and what a shame that is. This is an absolutely wonderful album and an excellent addition to my collection.

The music is a bit hard to describe as there are influences from many genres present on Music In A Doll's House. I would say that the most dominant genre is bluesy rockīnīroll but mind you that itīs done in a sophisticated way that includes sax, flute and even what sounds like a mellotron at times. There is also a healthy dose of psychadelic rock and a bit of jazz and folk thrown in for good measure. The songs are pretty basic rock tunes but with the aforementioned features this makes for a great listening experience.

One of the greatest things on the album is Roger Chapmanīs voice which is really distict and powerful. He sometimes sound a bit like Peter Gabriel when he sings most loud but a singer like Bernardo Lanzetti from Premiata Forneria Marconi also comes to mind. This is mostly due to the extreme vibrato both singers possess and use extensively. Iīm sometimes reminded of another british band and thatīs Audience who has a similar eclectic style.

The musicianship is great and the raw sixties production fits the music well.

This album is a winner in my book and Iīll glady rate it 4 stars. Iīll be looking forward to listening to more music from Family in the future.

Family Entertainment:

Family Entertainment is the second album from british rock act Family. I was really impressed with the debut album from Family called Music In A Doll's House from 1968. Itīs a great psychadelic and eclectic rock album that falls under the catagory mildy progressive. With this second album Family has moved away from the psychadelic tendencies which were a big part of their sound on Music In A Doll's House. Family Entertainment is a much more polished and commercial effort.

Familyīs music is not easily put into a catagory. It contains elements from both rock, jazz, blues, classical music and folk/ country. A truly eclectic band. One of the biggest assets on this album is Roger Chapmanīs vocals which I find very charming and powerful. He has a very raw voice and he would have made a great hard rock vocalist. This fact is very evident in the only hard rocking track on the album Second Generation Woman, which by the way is a bit out of place IMO. Most songs on the album are pretty good and a few are above average. I like Observations From A Hill and the instrumental Summer ī67 while some of the more folk/ country elements that also sneak into some of the songs are not that interesting to me. The eclectic approach to music reminds me a bit of another british band called Audience.

The musicianship is one of the greatest assets on the album. Great violin and sax playing, but the rythm section also prove themselves throughout the album.

The production is very polished compared to the raw debut. It will be an aquired taste if this is something youīll appreciate. Personally I prefer the raw sound of the debut.

Family Entertainment is a good album but I do miss the raw approach that was so enjoyable on the debut and for me Family Entertainment is a 3 star album. Family is still an intriguing band though and Iīll be looking forward to reviewing the rest of their discography.

Conclusion:

Music In A Doll's House is my favorite Family album and if you can get this boxset for a good price I would just see the inclusion of Family Entertainment as a bonus. If you have to pay full double CD price for this release I would seek out the remastered 2003 version of Music In A Doll's House instead. My rating reflects my deep love for Music In A Doll's House and even though Family Entertainment isnīt nearly as exciting I still think this boxset deserves a 4 star rating.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#195060) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008

Post a review of FAMILY "Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment"