DIE GRUNE REISE (THE GREEN JOURNEY)

A.R. & Machines

Krautrock

A.R. & Machines Die Grune Reise (The Green Journey) album cover

Buy A.R. & MACHINES Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

Side A:
1. I Am (Happy Adventures For Sense, Mind And Inclination)
2. Staion 1: Globus (In The Same Boat)
3. Station 2: Beautiful Babylon
4. I'll Be Your Singer You Be My Song
5. Station 3: Body (A Book's Blues)
6. Station 4: As If I Have Seen All This Before
Side B:
7. Cosmic Vibration (An Afternoon Concert)
8. Come On People
9. Truth And Probability (A Lexicon For Self-knowledge)

2007 Tangram Remastered Deluxe Edition
CD:
1. Globus (Globe) (2:56)
2. In The Same Boat (2:06)
3. Schönes Babylon (Beautiful Babylon) (5:01)
4. I'll Be Your Singer, You'll Be My Song (Ich Bin Dein Sänger, Du Bist Mein Lied) (2:25)
5. Body (1:57)
6. A Book's Blues (1:39)
7. Als Hätt Ich Das Alles Schon Mal Gesehen (As If I Had Seen All This Before) (5:31)
8. Cosmic Vibrations (4:41)
9. Come On, People (2:53)
10. Wahrheit Und Wahrscheinlichkeit (Truth And Probability) (11:40)

Total time: 40:49

DVD:
1. Die Grüne Reise - Der Film (42:00)
2. Making Of (10:00)

Total time: 52:00

Search A.R. & MACHINES Die Grune Reise (The Green Journey) lyrics

Search A.R. & MACHINES Die Grune Reise (The Green Journey) tabs

- Achim Reichel / guitar, vocals
- Frank Dostal / lyrics
- Dicky Tarrach / drums
- Hans Lampe / percussion (2)

LP Polydor 2459 057 (1971)

CD+DVD Tangram 903022 (2007) Remastered Deluxe Edition

Thanks to Philippe Blache for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

A.R. & MACHINES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy A.R. & MACHINES Die Grune Reise (The Green Journey) Music

More places to buy A.R. & MACHINES music online Buy A.R. & MACHINES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for A.R. & MACHINES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

A.R. & MACHINES Die Grune Reise (The Green Journey) ratings distribution

A.R. & MACHINES Die Grune Reise (The Green Journey) reviews

4 stars 4.5 stars. A.R. & MACHINES is the solo project of one Achim Reichel. The A.R. are of course his initials while the MACHINES are those elctronics and tape recorders he used to create this psychedelic sound.This album was released in 1971 and the press at that time roasted him for it. Achim you see had been this teen idol who was very well known in Germany. He was the founder and guitarist of the most popular Beat band in that country called THE RATTLERS. He grew tired though of strumming his guitar to this simple 4/4 beat and was looking for something more challenging. It would be like one of the Jonas brothers deciding to make this experimental, Psychedelic Prog album. No matter how good it was you know he would be ridiculed for this non-commercial nonsense. Right ? Well all these magazines that trashed Achim's debut album would later apologize as it was soon accepted that this was a tripped out masterpiece. He became known for the guitar echo which he came upon by complete accident. "I was just trying something out with my guitar, when out of the blue the Akai X-3300 began to repeat endless cascades of guitar echoes. My guitar suddenly sounded like ten". He found his new direction. I've known about this band for years but until recently have been unable to find any of his recording. I have the EROC remastered version from 2007. The title of this album means "The Green Journey". Julian Cope would call this record "...the final result of a kind of higher awareness..." Brian Eno said this was his main source for inspiration for his "Another Green World" album. And how about that album cover !

I'm going to use the English song titles. "Globe" opens with strange sounds then this catchy beat takes over.The song continues to change. Lots of electronics 2 1/2 minutes in. Great sound. "In The Same Boat" opens with this guitar riff as drums then vocals join in.It turns very psychedelic a minute in then that riff and beat returns. "Beautiful Babylon" sounds so cool to start out. Drums before a minute. It's all about the electronics before 3 minutes. It's laid back late. "I'll Be Your Singer-You'll Be My Song" is a short tune with vocals, strummed guitar and percussion. Psychedelic stuff. "Body" features percussion along with vocal and other sounds.

"A Book's Blues" is bluesy with a beat, vocals and guitar. "As If I Had Seen All This Before" has a very freaky intro with cool vocal expressions that are manipulated. Electronics and a beat take over as guitar and drums join in. Great sound. It's crazy psychedelic 3 1/2 minutes in. The beat returns then it's far out again. "Cosmic Vibration" sounds so good the way the guitar echoes. What a trip this song is. "Come On People" is led by vocals and drums. Vocal melodies and clapping join in. "Truth And Probability" is the perfect drug track. It made me laugh and wonder and I wasn't even high. The sounds echo and check out the vocal expressions that are manipulated. Just hilarious at times. Insanity !

A Krautrock classic !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#241170) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 24, 2009

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Moderator / Psych Team
4 stars In this album is a very mysterious feeling for such an eccentric and warped sound construction.

Suppose Achim might produce this anti-mainstream work with his strong intention to turn his back onto popular sound and style around 1970. The most important point upon his first work as A.R. & MACHINES is, that every pop phrase and style all around the album should NOT be straight or honest, but sometimes very quirky, sometimes very violent, aggressive, and sometimes very lazy and powerless (maybe intentionally). We can understand the concordance itself by listening to the first few "gorgeously sound-scattered" tracks. Even some ethnic and danceable percussive shots backwards can sound very cynical, not strict. Some heavy style standing between these percussive phrases can give me not comfort but palpitation, uniquely. His simple lyrics and lazy crazy voices can kick my empty heart to impress magnificently. Through his whole stage on this vinyl (or CD), his hot and dry material like air over desert may notify me what the real Krautrock should be.

Indeed there are lots of albums called as something of Krautrock textbooks, but I do consider we can add this intentionally whacked out (namely, wonderful or fantastic in our scene!) work as an atypical Kraut but a heavy Kraut-magma, into this subgenre library. Highly recommended.

Send comments to DamoXt7942 (BETA) | Report this review (#284301) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 31, 2010

Review by snobb
4 stars A.R. & Machines (or Achim Reichel) debut album is not just a classic kraut rock. Chronologically placed somewhere between early genre's works, this album is a strange, hypnotic and repetitive combination of guitar loops, unusual drumming and pop-elements. Heavily psychedelic, this work are more similar to some Brian Eno early works, but has nothing too much in common with many later classic kraut rock jazzy works.

Having similar aesthetics, this album sounds quite different even from genre colleagues of the same time. Some moments remind me Can though. And I believe that this album's diversity is its strong point. You can find there plenty of styles and sounds, from r,n,b to danceable pop moments, but everything - under deep sauce of psychedelia.

For me it was not what I expected to hear, and it took some time and many spins just to accept this work. Then, I could recommend it to everyone searching on kraut rock roots, or for fans of "different" early psychedelic prog as well.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#289214) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 05, 2010

Review by SaltyJon
5 stars Die Grune Reise (aka The Green Journey) really is a great trip. As soon as I listened to the sample available here on PA I knew this was an album I needed to check out, so I did just that. Couldn't be happier with my decision, except if the rest of his albums were still obtainable so that I could hear more. This album is full to the brim (and beyond) with echoing/multitracked guitars, along with some percussion and vocals here and there, and it's really a unique album thus far in my collection. The combination of elements displayed here by Reichel is a lot of fun - we've got technical ability, playfulness, the bizarre, and maybe just a little bit of insanity. It's a great example of just how psychedelic and "out there" some Krautrock can get, and a good introduction into the less well known side of things.

The DVD which came with my edition is pretty great as well - a movie to go along with the music, which is fittingly bizarre and (more often than not, for me) incredibly confusing. Not confusing in a bad way, though.

For fans of bizarre, psychedelic trips - listen to the sample track graciously provided here on PA, and hopefully you'll be interested in this insane Krautrock masterpiece.

Send comments to SaltyJon (BETA) | Report this review (#293312) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Rock 'n' Psych Blues Roll. Achim Reichel's debut is a fascinating early krautrock album that is often based on simple blues-rock grooves that get gradually decomposed into chaotic lunacy. Layers of sonic experimentation and delayed guitar effects are applied to achieve an amazing trip through the wonderful world of Kraut-rock.

If one feeling prevails after listening to this album it's that of an artist having the time of his life with new and self-made technologies. In other words, it's not an album you should play if you want to hear advanced levels of symphonic song composition, but it's one where you need to tune in to the creativity of Reichel's childlike fantasy world. The last 12 minute track Truth and Probability mainly consist of crazy vocal experimentation that is both hilarious and hard to get into. Space-cake might help I guess.

Die Grüne Reise is a fascinating experimental R'n'R trip. An excellent kraut album and a masterpiece of fun.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#305202) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 18, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
3 stars The A.R. stands for Achim Reichel, who was a member of "the German Beatles" The Rattles. Machines refers to gadgets he uses to alter the sound. Just him on guitar and vocals with a drummer and a percussionist. I'm not exactly sure what the gadgets are he's using(Echoplex? Ring modulator?). Generally there is a echo type effect throughout where you hear a guitar or vocal sound in one channel and then hear it again within a second in the other channel. Occasionally the guitar is altered to almost sound like a synthesizer. The cover of this album is similar to Guru Guru's Hinten. I prefer this one because I rather look at a woman's lips than a man's ass.

"In The Same Boat" has a typical eatly '70s hard rock riff. "Beautiful Babylon" you can listen to on PA. It's one of the better songs. Some synth-like guitar effects at the start. Nice guitar playing with bongos. Later drums and guitar in a slower tempo. "I'll Be Your Singer, You Be My Song" is the first song with vocals. A folk-rock type song. "A Book's Blues" is truth in adverstising. A straight blues song.

"As If I Have Seen All This Before" is the best song. Good guitar throughout with bongos. Later bongos stop and then drums. More synth-like guitar effects. The drums stop then some blues- rock guitar and the drums come back. More synth-like guitar effects. "Cosmic Vibration" has interesting guitar and percussion starting in the middle with more synth-like guitar effects. "Come On, People" is a hippie singalong.

The last and longest song "Truth And Probability" is the only track where the effects are more important than the music. It's a very trippy song but it doesn't hold up on repeated listens. Overall this is an interesting album but there is a lot of better Krautrock out there. 3 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#341891) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010

5 stars This is definitely Krautrock but unlike most contemporaries that were distancing themselves from the blues and rock influences of the 60s, A.R. & MACHINES fully utilized a blues based guitar sound on this album. What makes this so trippy is that they added guitar loops, effects and feedback like ... (read more)

Report this review (#1070290) | Posted by siLLy puPPy | Friday, November 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Happy Adventures for Sense, Mind, and Inclination Die Grune Reise (The Green Journey) is a fantastic debut released in 1971, a great year for both Krautrock and Prog Rock. This was my second album by A.R. and the Machines, and by no means a disappointment after the celestial bliss that is E ... (read more)

Report this review (#124372) | Posted by Mikerinos | Saturday, June 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars it's indeed strange why a magnificent musician like Achim Reichel has been kept from the archives so long. Indeed, I have met A.R & Machines' albums by chance (all 6 were lumped into a 2 mp3 CD's, which I bought my eyes closed from my dealer! you see, he's no wrong in finding rare and awesome ... (read more)

Report this review (#87293) | Posted by Bilek | Tuesday, August 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of A.R. & MACHINES "Die Grune Reise (The Green Journey)"