ZAAR

Buy ZAAR Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Sfir (20:07)
2. Zolg (1:59)
3. Ce n'est pas triste (2:42)
4. Tougoudougoum (1:29)

- Yan Hazera / guitar
- Michael Hazera / drums
- Cosia / Hurdy Gurdy
- Pairbon / bass, double-bass

CD Cuneiform Records (2006)

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

ZAAR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ZAAR Zaar Music

ZaarZaar
Cuneiform 2006
AspecsAspecs
CD Baby 2002

More places to buy ZAAR music online Buy ZAAR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ZAAR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ZAAR Zaar ratings distribution

ZAAR Zaar reviews

4 stars After the great French band SOTOS broke up the guitarist and drummer decided to form a new band adding a bassist and a hurdy gurdy player. Now I must say that the hurdy gurdy has an interesting sound. Actually it produces many different sounds, from spacey synth-like to sounding like a deranged violin. There are strings and keys on this instrument plus a crank that makes it drone. This is dark and all-instrumental like SOTOS but this album is just a step below SOTOS' "Platypus" record in my opinion. Bob Drake did a great job recording and mixing this album.

"Sefir" is the almost 20 minute opener. Some scorching hurdy gurdy for over a minute then the drums, guitar and bass come in. I like the bass here.The hurdy gurdy is back then it turns intense after 4 1/2 minutes. It settles after 5 minutes and some good atmosphere follows as sounds come and go. It's dark. It starts to build before 10 minutes then the tempo picks up before 12 minutes. Some deep bass after 15 minutes. Some smoking hurdy gurdy before 17 minutes. Great tune. "Zolg" features intricate guitar and drums throughout this short track. Nice. "Ce N'est Pas Triste" is a fairly dark and slow moving track. Kind of eerie later with deep bass lines. "Tougoudougoum" hits the ground running. Great sound ! Uptempo with pounding drums. "Discasambo" is relaxed with light drums and guitar that builds as hurdy gurdy joins in with bass.

"Omk" is the other epic at over 17 minutes. This is good as guitar plays in a relaxed way as cymbals clash. The drums start to rise up and are all over the place. Guitar is still laid back and angular. The guitar is crying out 6 minutes in then it all settles 6 1/2 minutes in as hurdy gurdy comes in solo. Drums and guitar return before 10 1/2 minutes then it calms down again 12 1/2 minutes in. It's building again 14 minutes in and we're cooking before 16 minutes. It then winds down as hurdy gurdy carries on. Outstanding track. "Scherzaaaaaaahhhh" is funny with these multi vocal samples that get really loud late as it blends into "Scherzo #C". It kicks in right away with a full sound and angular melodies. It settles some around a minute as the tempo continues to shift slightly. I really like how this sounds. I keep thinking of ANEKDOTEN. "[.......]" is the dark but gentle closer.

I like and agree with what the sticker says on this cd "For fans of KING CRIMSON, MAGMA, SOTOS, UNIVERS ZERO". I was sad to hear that the Yan Hazera the guitarist has passed away. So sadly this might be the only ZAAR release we get. A solid 4 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#239683) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Review by SaltyJon
4 stars Who would have thought that the hurdy gurdy, an antique instrument of such unique design and timbre, could have a place in a rock band? The Hazera brothers and their bandmates thought so, and I'm very glad to be an owner of this great album. Along with Pienza Ethnorkestra's album from the same year, this is one of the two rock albums I know of with prominent hurdy gurdy playing. While that group went for a more fiery approach most of the time, ZAAR knew how to vary their approach from track to track.

What we're presented with here is a varied, creative workout for drums, bass (both electric and upright), guitar and (of course) the inimitable hurdy-gurdy. Gladly, it's done in a decidedly avant-rock style, which makes it all the better for me. The album is all instrumental, except for the short track "Scherzaaaaaaahhhh." The talent of these four musicians is undeniable. Everyone contributes quite a lot to the overall sound of the album, and Yan (RIP) displays some great guitar work throughout. Cosia's hurdy gurdy work can shred your skin to pieces, or melt your heart with its beauty. There aren't many instruments quite as varied as this. The section John mentioned at around 6 1/2 minutes into "Omk" just made me stop everything to really listen to the instrument, a great example of the more "beautiful" side of the hurdy gurdy's sound. This track and "Sefir" are the real highlights for me, though the shorter tracks all have quite a lot to offer as well.

The album is almost a five star for me. As it is, it's "only" a very strong 4.5, and a very treasured album in my collection. It's a very exciting album for fans of avant garde music, and is sure to please most listeners.

Send comments to SaltyJon (BETA) | Report this review (#405594) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 22, 2011

4 stars This band came to be after the breakup of SOTOS when drummer Michael Hazera and guitarist Yan Hazera (brothers?) decided they wanted to continue the spirit of the avant-garde chamber rock sound. They recruited the incredibly talented bassist Pairbon and of all things a hurdy gurdyist named Cosia. ... (read more)

Report this review (#1110745) | Posted by siLLy puPPy | Wednesday, January 08, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The debut album of this French quartet wastes no time in doing what they want to with their unique sound. With two former members of the band Sotos, Zaar plays instrumental jazzy chamber rock that is pretty experimental. The band plays highly dynamic and sometimes downright strange avant-prog tha ... (read more)

Report this review (#125810) | Posted by Arsillus | Thursday, June 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the first time I write a review, and I'm doing this because no one has reviewed this amazing album wich deserves to be listened by lovers of dynamic, experimental and avant-garde compositions. Zaar's first effort shows a group of great musicians playing amazing music, 9 songs full of exp ... (read more)

Report this review (#85784) | Posted by Goredo | Friday, August 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ZAAR "Zaar"