AXE VICTIM

Good, but non-essential

Buy BE BOP DELUXE Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Axe Victim (5:14)
2. Love Is Swift Arrows (4:12)
3. Jet Silver And The Dolls Of Venus (4:10)
4. Third Floor Heaven (2:27)
5. Night Creatures (3:34)
6. Rocket Cathedrals (3:00)
7. Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape (3:23)
8. Jets At Dawn (7:19)
9. No Trains To Heaven (6:39)
10. Darkness (L'Immoraliste) (3:22)
11. Piece Of Mine (5:13)*

- Nicholas Chatterton-Drew / drums, percussion

1977 LP Harvest ST-11689
1991 CD Alex Imports 2005
1998 CD EMI 94726
(This album was re-issued on CD by EMI in 1998 with 3 bonus tracks*)

Thanks to kqwiet for the addition

BE BOP DELUXE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BE BOP DELUXE Axe Victim Music

Axe VictimAxe Victim
Parlophone 1998
Axe Victim LP (Vinyl Album) UK Harvest 1974Axe Victim LP (Vinyl Album) UK Harvest 1974
Harvest
Vinyl$32.55 (used)
BE-BOP DELUXE Axe Victim ORIGINAL 1974 HARVEST LP Vinyl Record Album USD $11.11 [0 bids]
Axe Victim [Remaster] by Be Bop Deluxe (CD, Sep-2004, Emi) USD $9.95 [0 bids]
USD $12.95 Buy It Now
Be-Bop Deluxe Axe Victim 1974 Import NM LP Prog Glam Rock Protopunk Bill Nelson USD $44.99 [0 bids]
be-bop deluxe-harvest-axe victim-UK import USD $22.00 Buy It Now 16h 8m
Be-bop Deluxe - Axe Victim NEW CD USD $7.46 Buy It Now 17h 45m
BE-BOP DELUXE - AXE VICTIM ( CD ) 1990 EMI IMPORT BONUS TRACKS USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Axe Victim - Bop Deluxe be New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $15.87 Buy It Now 3 days
Axe Victim, Be Bop Deluxe, Good USD $6.79 Buy It Now 3 days
BE BOP DELUXE Axe Victim LP 10 Track Gatefold Matrix A1/b1 Some Edge And Ringwea USD $25.33 Buy It Now 4 days
Be Bop Deluxe Axe Victim Original SEALED LP 1974 Harvest SM 11689 US Press USD $18.15 Buy It Now 4 days
BE-BOP DELUXE AXE VICTIM LP VINYL RECORD VG COND A1/B1 PRESSING USD $10.17 Buy It Now 4 days
still sealed BE-BOP DELUXE / AXE VICTIM 1974 USA no bar code Harvest SM-11689 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 5 days
be bop deluxe axe victim lp glam rock bill nelson harvest Bowie EXC/NM- USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Be Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim (2004) USD $7.74 Buy It Now 5 days
Be Bop Deluxe - Original Album Series (5 CD 2014) axe victim, futurama etc... USD $18.70 Buy It Now 5 days
Axe Victim Be-Bop Deluxe Record LP Harvest Psych NM Uk Import USD $28.05 Buy It Now 5 days
Be-Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim - LP Record VG+ G+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 6 days
BE BOP DELUXE - AXE VICTIM - CDP7947262 USD $9.93 Buy It Now 6 days
Bill Nelson's Red Noise Badge Be-Bop Deluxe Cockney Rebel Axe Victim Bill Nelson USD $1.55 Buy It Now 7 days
BE-BOP DELUXE, AXE VICTIM, NEW CD USD $16.29 Buy It Now 7 days
Be Bop Deluxe-Axe Victim CD NEW USD $13.97 Buy It Now 7 days
Be Bop Deluxe ORIGINAL ALBUM SERIES Box Set AXE VICTIM Modern Music NEW 5 CD USD $26.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Be Bop Deluxe Axe Victim 1991 CD Album Art Rock (CDP 7947262) USD $5.87 Buy It Now 7 days
Be Bop Deluxe-Axe Victim CD NEW USD $11.11 Buy It Now 7 days
BE-BOP DELUXE AXE VICTIM HARVEST SHVL 813 UK PRESS LP NEAR MINT USD $15.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Axe Victim - Be Bop Deluxe - New Album - Original Poster Size Press Ad - 1974 USD $15.65 Buy It Now 8 days
Be Bop Deluxe Axe Victim LP NM- SM-11689 1974 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Axe Victim [Remaster] by Be Bop Deluxe (CD, Sep-2004, Emi) USD $13.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Be-Bop Deluxe Axe Victim 1974 Import NM LP Prog Glam Rock Protopunk Bill Nelson USD $49.90 Buy It Now 12 days
BE-BOP DELUXE Axe Victim 1974 Havest LP SM-11689 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 12 days
BE-BOP DELUXE Axe Victim LP 1974 Harvest orig VG USD $3.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Axe Victim - Be Bop Deluxe (2005, CD New) USD $8.76 Buy It Now 12 days
BE-BOP DELUXE Axe Victim ORIGINAL 1974 HARVEST LP Vinyl Record Album USD $18.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Press Cutting/Advert : 10/8/74P11 BE-BOP DELUXE, AXE VICTIM Album 15X12 Poster USD $18.77 Buy It Now 13 days
Press Cutting/Advert : 22/6/74Pg08 BE BOP DELUXE, AXE VICTIM Album 15X7 HARVEST USD $10.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Axe Victim [Remaster] by Be Bop Deluxe (CD, Sep-2004, Emi) USD $7.46 Buy It Now 13 days
BE BOP DELUXE - AXE VICTIM (BONUS) (TRACKS) NEW CD USD $14.84 Buy It Now 13 days
Be Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim [CD New] USD $10.06 Buy It Now 13 days
BE BOP DELUXE Axe Victim 1974 Harvest Bill Nelson Jets At Dawn Night Creatures USD $14.99 Buy It Now 14 days
1974 - BE-BOP DELUXE - Axe Victim - Press Advertisment - Poster Size USD $14.06 Buy It Now 15 days
ORIGINAL FACTORY SEALED / BE BOP DELUXE - AXE VICTIM LP USD $20.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Be-Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim (NEW CD) USD $10.54 Buy It Now 16 days
Be-Bop Deluxe "Axe Victim" USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16 days
BE-BOP DELUXE Axe Victim 1974 Havest LP USD $4.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Be Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim Bonus Tracks CD USD $15.59 Buy It Now 17 days
BE BOP DELUXE - AXE VICTIM [REMASTER] - NEW CD USD $7.05 Buy It Now 18 days
BE-BOP DELUXE - AXE VICTIM 1974 UK LP HARVEST SHVL813 GATEFOLD A1/B1 G/G+ 7 Pics USD $6.24 Buy It Now 18 days
BE-BOP DELUXE 'Axe Victim' Original SEALED LP 1974 (Harvest 11689) US Press USD $25.49 Buy It Now 19 days
Be Bop Deluxe Axe Victim Keyring Bill Nelson USD $2.50 Buy It Now 20 days
BE BOP DELUXE axe victim LP Record VG 1974 RARE USD $19.98 Buy It Now 20 days
Be Bop Deluxe Axe Victim + 3 bonustracks ,Japanese mini lp cd USD $49.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Be Bop Deluxe Axe Victim CD album (CDLP) Japanese TOCP-70358 HARVEST 20 USD $82.12 Buy It Now 21 days
BE BOP DELUXE / BILL NELSON AXE VICTIM 1974 G/FOLD ALBUM *NEAR MINT CLASSIC ITEM USD $17.13 Buy It Now 21 days
BE BOP DELUXE AXE VICTIM SHRINK EXCELLENT/EXCELLENT LP 1974 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 22 days
BE BOP DELUXE / BILL NELSON AXE VICTIM 1974 G/FOLD ALBUM* VG SLEEVE USD $14.00 Buy It Now 22 days
BE BOP DELUXE 1974 Axe Victim LP NEAR MINT Vinyl UK Press SHVL 813 Gatefold GLAM USD $29.99 Buy It Now 23 days
BE-BOP DELUXE Axe Victim 1974 UK HARVEST STEREO LP ExNM USD $24.99 Buy It Now 24 days
BE-BOP DELUXE axe victim HARVEST EMI UK ORIGINAL 1st PRESS LP SHVL 813 prog glam USD $38.99 Buy It Now 26 days
BE-BOP DELUXE: AXE VICTIM-CLASSIC 1974 HARVEST SHVL 813/ GATEFOLD USD $20.32 Buy It Now 26 days
BE BOP DELUXE ? /? Axe Victim ?JAPAN CD Mini-LP w/OBI TOCP-70358 USD $36.50 Buy It Now 27 days
Be-Bop Deluxe Badge Cockney Rebel Bill Nelson Axe Victim USD $1.55 Buy It Now 27 days
BE-BOP DELUXE Axe Victim (Harvest CDP 794 7262) CD - remastered USD $12.50 Buy It Now 27 days
Be-Bop Deluxe Axe Victim 1990 U.K. EMI/Harvest Very Good Condition CD USD $14.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BE BOP DELUXE music online Buy BE BOP DELUXE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BE BOP DELUXE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BE BOP DELUXE Axe Victim ratings distribution

BE BOP DELUXE Axe Victim reviews

Review by thellama73
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
2 stars I first discovered Be Bop Deluxe through their Sunburst Finish album, which I think is a really excellent example of 70's glam rock. I was intrigued, so I decided to give Axe Victim a try, but found myself a bit disappointed by it.

Nelson's guitar playing is certainly impressive and has a very unique style, but with the exception of the final track, No Trains To Heaven, the songs lack hooks, and I find them difficult to remember even a few minutes after having heard them.

This album sounds like a band in its infancy, struggling to find a voice and establish its identity, a feat which they would accomplish admirably later in their career. I would recommend starting with one of the later albums and only giving this a go if you really love what you hear.

Send comments to thellama73 (BETA) | Report this review (#112050) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars "We hoped you'd lend an ear, you hoped we'd dress like tarts"

"Axe victim" was the first album recorded in the name of Be Bop Deluxe, who were in reality a band in name only. The story of Be Bop Deluxe is actually the story of vocalist and guitarist Bill Nelson. This would be proved to be the case immediately after this 1974 release, the line up which made it being completely disbanded.

The first challenge here is to decipher the conflicting messages of the sleeve. On the front we have a rather gruesome skull bodied guitar image, on the back and inside we have a make up covered quartet of glam rockers. It appears Nelson and the boys wanted to make quality music while appealing to followers of the current pop trends, hence the lyric quoted above, taken from the opening title track. That song has a Mott the Hoople like feel from around the time of their interaction with David Bowie. Nelson takes little time to display his guitar prowess, but stays short of indulging in any long virtuoso solos.

"Love is swift arrows" is heavily pop based in a Talking Heads or Cockney Rebel sort of way, the slightly distorted and heavily accented vocals being backed by a predominantly acoustic arrangement. Nelson adds a fine lead guitar solo which Wishbone Ash would have been proud of though. The song segues into "Jet silver and the dolls of Venus", a Bowie-esque flight of space fantasy. There is a distinctly retro-pop feel here which is pleasant but far from demanding.

"Third floor heaven" is another Bowie like androgynous tale of perversion which moves closer to punk territories. Side one closes with "Night creatures" where Nelson's apparent fascination with glam cross dressing is now bordering on obsession. Here he tries even harder to sound like Bowie, the song sounding like an outtake from "Ziggy Startdust".

"Rocket cathedrals" is the only song on the album not written by Bill Nelson, bassist Rob Bryan stepping forward to sing lead vocal on his own song. The most upbeat song on the album, this straightforward rock number is actually the best pointer towards future BBD albums such as "Sunburst finish". Nelson slows things down for "Adventures in a Yorkshire landscape", a nicely descriptive picture of a rural setting.

At over 7 minutes, "Jets at dawn" is the longest track on the album. It is essentially a melodic pop ballad with pleasant harmonies and a fine vocal performance by Nelson. The centre point though is one of Nelson's superb guitar solos. It really is a pity that on this album his guitar talents are not exploited further as his playing is superb both technically and tonally.

Another reasonably long track, "No trains to heaven" follows. The song is somewhat less impressive than its predecessor though, being a rather disjointed Wishbone Ash like workout. The album closes with "Darkness (L'immoraliste)" an unusually dark song with angelic choir voices and an orchestral arrangement.

In all, a decent first album which features a good diversity of songs. The Bowie similarities can be distracting, but there is no doubting Bill Nelson's excellence on guitar.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#135572) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 31, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars The debut from Be Bop Deluxe is a very enjoyable album in my ears. Itīs got almost nothing to do with prog rock though. Instead we get a rock/ pop album with some really good guitar playing.

The guitar from William Nelson are really good and I really enjoy the solos that he plays on the album. His vocals are not to my taste but itīs nothing that destroys the album.

The songs are basically pretty normal rock tunes with no big surprises. They are done with conviction though and I enjoy them. There are few surprises though and thatīs what defines this as a pretty average rock album.

The sound quality is very good and the musicians are very good, so itīs professional sounding music. Once again Iīll have to point out that William Nelson stand out as being the exciting thing here. Watch out for him when you listen to the album.

This might not be of much interest for prog rock fans, but fans of guitar dominated rock music ( not hard rock) could get something out of this Iīm sure. A solid 3 star album.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#158591) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 14, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars It has been quite a while that I didn't listen to Be Bop Deluxe and it waswith real pleasure that I re- discovered this debut album which can be seen as a mix between 10 CC (Axe Victim) and Bowie during Love Is Swift Arrows (and a few other songs as well). These tracks are a great mix of some decadence and glam. Two very good songs.

The album is a pleasant journey through these mid seventies sounds and it combines straight pop-rock (Jet Silver And The Dolls) and mostly glam. When you listen to Third Floor Heaven, it is undeniable that Ziggy Stardust is not far away. But it is such a pleasure to listen to this track. I wonder why.

The middle part of the album is less catchy; songs are too conventional. It picks up again thanks to a very good guitar work during Adventures In A Yorksh. This part sounds almost as a Santana one (I'm not kidding). Great job from William Nelson.

The long Jets As Dawn is a little tired until the final and great guitar part again. This time, it is really close to some of the best moments of Rock & Roll Animal (from dear old Lou), one of the best live album of all time in which guitars have a significant role.

William Nelson plays the crooner during the closing Darkness which is a fine way to end this good debut album. Nothing prog at all, but a good rock album. From the three bonus tracks available on the last CD issue, there are three live tracks featured (all recorded in 1977): while the bluesy Piece Of Mine is dispensable both Mill Street Junction and the excellent Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape are worth a listen. On the latter, the guitar play is really phenomenal.

Their leader (Nelson) will sack all the band members after this debut (sounds familar, remember what happened to The Spiders From The Mars...

Seven out of ten for this good debut album. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#183652) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 26, 2008

Review by Chicapah
2 stars In my ongoing effort to familiarize myself with a wider assortment of prog and prog-related entities, especially the ones I missed along my plodding way through the decades, I have come (via no particular method) to Be-Bop Deluxe. All I've ever known about them was surface deep due to seeing their album covers in the record store but I never went the next step by purchasing their wares and putting needle to vinyl groove. Recently I gave their debut disc, "Axe Victim," a few spins and I can't say that I expected what I heard or that I had any preconceived notion about what I expected to hear from them in the first place. What I certainly didn't anticipate was how dated the material would be and how thin the production would turn out.

They begin with the album's namesake song and right off the bat the influence David Bowie exerted on them is quite evident but they do stop short of outright plagiarism. Glam rock was all the rage at the time so I can't say I was shocked by it. Band mastermind Bill Nelson's heavy, blues-oriented guitar playing is dominant but he does add a progressive slant to most of his tunes' structures as evidenced on this particular number by his incorporating frequent tempo changes. "Love is Swift Arrows" is a perky little ditty but the drums are very dry and flat, giving the track a minimalist texture that I don't find attractive. In a way it's kind of a throwback to the freewheeling let's-run-through-the-song-a-few-times-and-then-turn-on-the-tape-machine-to-see-what-happens Hippie music that abounded on the west coast in the late 60s. It abruptly segues into "Jet Silver and the Dolls," a Ziggy Stardust knockoff that sports an uncomfortably loose motif. There's a distinct "art rock" vibe emanating from their attitude in that they don't seem to be all that concerned with finesse or tightness. Next is "Third Floor Heaven" and by now I sense that they're cultivating a palpable 70s "underground chic" countenance in delivering their product. I don't mind that per se but one big drawback is a lack of variety in the instruments they utilize and, for that matter, the overall repetitious tone of the proceedings. "Night Creatures" follows and, as if they heard my gripe, this one has a modicum of depth that broadens the song's scope appreciably. It's not what I'd call a great number but it's the best of the bunch so far. Bassist Robert Bryan not only contributes the sole non-Nelson composition with "Rocket Cathedrals" but sings it, as well. For this one they toss in an odd opening sequence but it leads to yet another Bowie-ish rocker that's predictably predictable. I guess you could say they know what they like and they like what they know.

"Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" is a slower paced semi-ballad and I can't tell if Bill is just being British or trendily androgynous in his vocalization but his style is assuredly "affected" for better or for worse. Unfortunately he sticks with the same guitar rig settings cut after cut and it begins to grow tiresome. "Jets at Dawn" features some obligatory birds chirping and dogs barking with a plane taking off overhead and then they slip into more of the same post-psychedelic mishmash that characterizes their craft and is making them come off like a one-trick pony. The guitar-heavy jam that commands the middle-to-finish portion may have been designed to be non-conformist but it lacks true focus. "No Trains to Heaven" is next and it seems they're committed to staying in their comfort zone even if the tunes are starting to be indistinguishable from one to another. It's as if they had aspirations to be the English incarnation of Grand Funk Railroad. "Darkness (L'Immoraliste)" follows and I was very glad to hear a piano and a string section in the mix for a change. It projects an overly dramatic mien but at least it gives the impression that they were willing to stretch their horizons ever so slightly. The last three tracks are live recordings from 1977 when the band toured with a revamped lineup. On "Piece of Mine" Andrew Clark's electric piano helps to fill out their ambient presence greatly. Listening to this tune I get the feeling they would've been right at home performing on a flatbed truck in a San Francisco park during the summer of love. That they have an instantly identifiable aura is not in question but too often on songs like "Mill Street Junction" the composition and arrangement is nothing more than a vehicle for Nelson to play a guitar lead. However, their in-concert rendition of "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" is excellent. Clark's piano lays down a jazzy foundation and the onstage atmosphere they establish is much more enjoyable compared to what their studio work emitted. This is the finest cut on the record because Bill's guitar solo is passionate and highly moving while Andrew's electric piano ride is cool and classy.

Due to its amateurish nature I was all ready to give this album a high one-star rating but the three bonus tracks that were included on this reissued CD made me think that they were on their way to creating something much better. "Axe Victim" came out in '74 and afterwards Nelson completely overhauled the personnel before the next go-round in the studio so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and up my rating accordingly for showing potential. While I don't consider this disc anything special whatsoever I'll grade them on the curve and hope I'm pleasantly surprised by what came after. 2 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1108034) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 05, 2014

Post a review of BE BOP DELUXE "Axe Victim"