FUCHSIA

Prog Folk

Fuchsia Fuchsia album cover

Buy FUCHSIA Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

1. Gone With The Mouse (4:59)
2. A Tiny Book (8:03)
3. Another Nail (6:57)
4. Shoes And Ships (6:14)
5. The Nothing Song (8:23)
6. Me And My Kite (2:34)

UK: Pegasus Peg 8
France: Kingdom KV 6002
Cd re-issue Night Wing records NWRCD 02

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

FUCHSIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FUCHSIA Fuchsia Music

FuchsiaFuchsia
2004
Fuchsia, Mahogany & Other GemsFuchsia, Mahogany & Other Gems
Media Arte Kr
(CR24) D*note Fuchsia Dog - sealed 2002 CD US $9.56 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Sam Rivers Fuchsia Swing Song 2000 Japan Mini LP CD L/E With Obi TOCJ-9232 HTF US $59.80 Buy It Now 23h 49m
BRIAN LYNCH QUARTET**FUCHSIA/RED (LIVE)**CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SAM RIVERS Fuchsia Swing Song Japan MINIaturized LP BLUE NOTE CD OBI strip US $38.00 [0 bids]
ORIG LP France 1978 COSMIC ELECTRONIC PROG Henry Torgue "Compartiment Fuchsia"! US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SAM RIVERS Fuchsia Swing Song Japan MINIaturized LP BLUE NOTE CD OBI strip US $29.99 [0 bids]
FUCHSIA: Fuchsia LP (Euro, boot reissue) Rock & Pop US $30.00 Buy It Now 3 days
of Montreal- Paralytic Stalks Fuchsia Colored Vinyl LP SEALED Original Polyvinyl US $22.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Fuchsia/red 0778224167822, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $19.35 Buy It Now 4 days
fuchsia swing song,sam rivers,jaki byard,ron carter,blue note jazz cd US $27.49 Buy It Now 4 days
VIBRAVOID - THE POLITICS OF ECSTASY, 2012 FUCHSIA vinyl LP, 250 COPIES! SEALED! US $37.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SAM RIVERS-FUCHSIA SWING SONG-JAPAN BLUE NOTE CD+BONUS TRACK D25 US $21.50 Buy It Now 5 days
FUCHSIA / MAHAGONNY & OTHER GEMS MINI LP CD NEW SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
FUCHSIA / SAME SELF TITLE S.T +2 BONUS TRACKS MINI LP CD NEW SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
FUCHSIA S/T Vinyl LP+7" Reissue 1971 UK Folk Rock US $53.87 Buy It Now 6 days
FUCHSIA - Fuchsia, Mahogany & Other Gems LP Miniature CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $24.49 Buy It Now 6 days
Flash of Fuchsia: Bruce Jones (CD 2006 Dada Music) Canada Brazil Bossa Tropical US $4.69 Buy It Now 6 days
UNPLAYED / PWL / SAM RIVERS FUCHSIA SWING SONG / BLUE NOTE KING JAPAN US $99.99 Buy It Now 7 days
FUCHSIA - Same - LUX REIS 100 copies RARE UK FOLK-PSYCH LP + free 7" COLORED VNL US $80.00 Buy It Now 8 days
FUCHSIA DOG - NEW CD US $6.94 Buy It Now 9 days
Fuchsia Band - Gra Da Raibh [CD New] US $16.36 Buy It Now 9 days
FUCHSIA BAND - GRA DA RAIBH NEW CD US $24.70 Buy It Now 9 days
SAM RIVERS Fuchsia Swing Song Japan MINIaturized LP BLUE NOTE CD OBI strip US $46.00 [0 bids]
ROULETTE company sleeve - "Golden Goodies" series; fuchsia, black US $4.50 Buy It Now 10 days
Opaque Hold-Ups Black With Fuchsia Bows Tights Hosiery Stockings Sexy Smiffys US $6.41 Buy It Now 11 days
ARTHUR DOYLE ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC ENSEMBLE CONSPIRACY NATION FUCHSIA MARBLE VINYL LP US $49.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Sam Rivers Fuchsia Swing Japan Promo LP Miles Davis US $89.99 Buy It Now 12 days
FUCHSIA/RED BY LYNCH,BRIAN (CD) US $20.94 Buy It Now 13 days
Fuchsia - I Lar An Aonaigh Cdr CD US $26.79 Buy It Now 13 days
Sh Comp Sal Mani Bk To Fuchsia (2 Pack) US $14.97 Buy It Now 15 days
FUCHSIA - Same - NEW REIS of RARE & GREAT 1971 UK FOLK-PSYCH LP + 3 bonus tracks US $26.00 Buy It Now 16 days
FUCHSIA - Fuchsia Mini LP CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $23.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Balance and Composure: The Things We Think We're Missing LP Yellow/Fuchsia Haze US $39.99 Buy It Now 18 days
D*NOTE " FUCHSIA DOG " PROMO CD ALBUM 2002 ( 8 TRACKS ) EXCELLENT US $4.31 Buy It Now 18 days
D Note : Fuchsia Dog CD (2002) US $6.22 Buy It Now 19 days
Nachtmystium - The World We Left Behind (LP) (Fuchsia) US $24.50 Buy It Now 19 days
Fuchsia/Red US $13.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Fuchsia Is Orange by Orange (CD, Nov-1992, Hot Produ... US $4.50 Buy It Now 20 days
Deep Wound s/t 7" EP fuchsia vinyl new RE reissue Armageddon Shop Dinosaur Jr. US $9.98 Buy It Now 20 days
Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song - Music Matters Blue Note 45RPM 2LP SEALED #d US $59.99 Buy It Now 20 days
MISFITS:Fuchsia Skull:Ladies/Girls Shirt NEW:Size 12 US $26.04 Buy It Now 20 days
(BK63) D*Note, Fuchsia Dog - 2002 CD US $9.56 Buy It Now 21 days
D*Note - Fuchsia Dog (2002) Cd mint US $4.69 Buy It Now 22 days
Fuchsia Band - I Lar An Aonaigh [CD New] US $22.21 Buy It Now 25 days
D*Note : Fuchsia Dog - CD Single - CDS US $7.82 Buy It Now 26 days
VIBRAVOID - The politics of ecstasy 2012 Re COLOURED 180 Gr FUCHSIA Vinyl LP NEW US $71.87 Buy It Now 28 days
FUCHSIA S/T Vinyl LP+7" Re 1971 UK Folk Rock Color US $80.87 Buy It Now 28 days
Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song 2LPs #d Music Matters 45rpm SEALED US $69.95 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy FUCHSIA music online Buy FUCHSIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FUCHSIA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FUCHSIA Fuchsia ratings distribution

FUCHSIA Fuchsia reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars While I would not call this double trio group as revolutionary as KC's incarnation during the 90's, this group is made of the basic guitar trio and another trio of classical musicians interacting fully. The resulting music is not only charming but also quite interesting for progheads.

In 71, there were plenty of musical possibilities yet unexplored and Tony Durant thought about integrating the strings developing soothing rather between ELO's first three album and JDDG's superb, haunting spine-chilling Sun Symphonia. Rather closer to ELO's sweeter sounds (circa Eldorado) than JDDG's crazed sounds, the album is a pure pleasure for progheads enjoying string works that is precisely between ELO's first three album and JDDG's superb, haunting spine-chilling Sun Symphonia, the album is a pure pleasure for progheads enjoying string works. Although you can sense the inexperience of the group (only Durant had actually recorded before) and therefore an underlying naivetÚ, the album operates full-charms out on the unsuspecting proghead, even though the album's inventiveness might not appear at first listen.

Although you will probably their music very symphonic, the real feel pervading is a rather soft folk rock with intricate (almost medieval) string arrangements. From the opening Gone With The Mouse (in JDDG's loft? ;-) and its marvellous na´ve pastoral feel, to the fabulous mini-epic A Tiny Book with its exuberant feel reminding the better ELO days, where the wise-at-first strings dare go in adventurous demoniac/fiendish grounds. The lyrics throughout the album are hardly innocent or hippy dippy rather concentrating on Mervin Peake's oeuvre, but do not hold much wickedness, but the album is a must for anyone into Titus Groan.

Another Nail is one of two tracks that come from their Durant's Louise days (the other being the sub-par Kite), but it is definitely the first inside the coffin of your sanity. Here the girl trio provide a hellish intro before the group takes over, but Bland's harmonium keeps popping up and the girls come into the group to provide delicious licks on their strings and then outro the track as well.

The second side of the album starts softly on Shoes and Ship, with the whole thing definitely progressive but staying calm and featuring haunting cello drones (I was not sure I could place this line for 100 points ;-) on the closing section. When listening to the extensive mini-epic Nothing Song, one can wonder if Lynne and Wood had not laid their hands on a copy of this album. The album is not always even as there are tracks when the string section is used in a conservative manner: Kite and are hardly more than songs where a strings synths could suffice nowadays. However the closing Just anyone holds a tense suspense where the women are more discrete than on other parts of the album.

While it does not hold the insanity of Tea And Symphony, the pagan savagery of Comus and the extraordinary enthusiasm of Jan Dukes De Grey, this album is yet another just unearthed gems from the early 70's, just waiting for progheads to stumble on it and carve out a 24-carat reputation.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#88685) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 01, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars I recently took a trip where I had a seven hour drive. Knowing I would need something interesting and novel to keep me alert, I picked up this reissue of some ancient prog/folk band I had never heard of, along with a couple of South American symphonic CDs to listen to along the way.

One of the other CDs was Crack’s album, which I enjoyed immensely. The other one never got played. I actually listened to this thing about five times in a row on the way to my meeting, and at least three more times on the way back. What a completely enjoyable album!

I have no idea what this band should be classified as. The first track starts off as sort of symphonic, but the strings are almost Baroque at times and lady singing ranges from near operatic to gothic. The acoustic guitar work is exquisite although quite simple, and Tony Durant’s singing reminds me a great deal of a number of early seventies British folk singers. Each track is elegant but not pompous, full of sounds but not haphazard. I have to believe these guys were mostly classically trained based on their precision and formal arrangements, but the feel of the album is one of young, creative artists of the very early seventies or even late sixties, which of course is exactly what they were.

The castanets on “Gone with the Mouse” contrast interestingly with the shrill cello and tinny harmonium. You don’t here those two instruments together, and the castanets make a trio that’s probably unique to this band. The violin passage that comes in at the end is achingly familiar, but perhaps that’s just a result of having heard this song so many times in the past few weeks. This is exactly what I always thought symphonic progressive music was supposed to sound like, although the rest of the album is much closer to a folk sound.

The acoustic guitar that opens “A Tiny Book” quickly gives way to a driving guitar/ tambourine/cello rhythm that is totally seductive, accompanied by harmonic backing (a couple of ladies with a guy who pipes in occasionally) and Durant’s vocals now sounding a bit like very early Moody Blues. A couple of tempo shifts give this one a bit a character, and the almost martial slow ending makes for an elegant closing.

“Another Nail” has a dissonant string opening that could have come from a Silver Mt Zion album just as easily, and this also gives way to a driving rhythm, this time acoustic guitars and a lively bass (perhaps upright, I actually can’t tell). The strings throughout this composition are lush and beautiful, not at all like the strident opening. Durant’s voice by now is almost driving me mad for its vague familiarity to someone else I can’t quite place. This is a ‘hug the sunshine’ kid of folksy number that also features some pleasing harmonium, and finishes with a catchy guitar riff that slowly fades to the same string discord that opened the song. Very well done.

The acoustic guitar continues on “Shoes and Ships”, and in fact this one sounds a lot like “A Tiny Book” but without the persistent guitars in the middle. The violins and cello are featured prominently with Durant’s simple vocals for a casual, almost ballad-like number.

The “Nothing Song” is announced as just that by the vocalist straight away amidst a formal string arrangement that reminds me a lot of very early ELO. This is the longest song on the album, but frankly there’s quite a bit of wandering around on guitar and meandering vocals that could have been firmed up a bit. But this was recorded in 1971, and things just didn’t move as quickly then, so one shouldn’t ask something to be what it is not, I suppose.

“Me and My Kite” could have easily been a Moodys song, a completely unaffected and simple ditty about a guy and his kite just meandering through the day without a care. I guess that thing I said about things moving a bit slower in 1971 was dead-on after all.

Finally comes “Just Another”, a pulsating guitar number with philosophical lyrics about the tranquility of personal observations of one’s surroundings despite the discord happening all around. Or something like that, not really sure to be honest, that’s my impression though. This one has more great acoustic guitar, but it a bit more aggressive than the rest of the album, and also includes some almost angry piano behind the thudding bass. Another fadeout ending, and I already want to play it again.

I don’t know what happened to these guys, but I hope they found other ways to express themselves throughout the rest of their lives. I suppose they could still be around, or at least some of them could be, although they’d be pretty old now. Too bad they didn’t put out more of this kind of music though. It’s really engaging, and makes for a nice drive through the countryside on a warm fall day. Highly recommended. Four stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#104109) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2006

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars Fuchsia only produced this one album, exploring the netherlands between folk, psych, prog and light classical. I enjoy the distinctly English flavour that saturates the disk, and the groundedness of the tunes and lyrics that favourably distinguishes this band from many of that era. I mean, a song called "Me and my Kite" about actually flying a kite..it doesn't get better than that if you want a slice of English whimsy without the smarminess of a Caravan or Stackridge.

The opener gets the listener involved at the outset with slam-dunked acoustic guitars, fascinating rhythms and the in-house strings section contributing to the general quirkiness. In addition, while Tony Durant dominates in the vocal department, Janet Rogets is allowed to contribute ethereal soli and wordless "ahs" to further the appeal of the song.

Everything here fits together quite well, with "The Nothing Song" being another particular highlight. My only real criticism of the album in general is that, in the end, there really isn't a classic track or a high impact piece, just a lot of nice at times interchangeable tunes that I might find myself humming, sometimes a little too often! But I am glad for the tiny legacy of this interesting and quirky yet easy listenin' band.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#131980) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 05, 2007

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Dark, but optimistic atmosphere of these songs surrounds this record wholy. The kind of folk I love, enhanced by something more, providing much needed free mood, air of choice and good will. It is a story about accomplished dream, how just another color inspired (Magenta, Cyan, Fuchsia, Orange, endless Blue groups, Red ones, Black metal types etc, Yellow fevers, whatever). There are orchestral (like, private orchestra consisting of violin) arrangements, but the problem is that they're quite muted, as other instruments are more prominent (guitar). Vocals are fine, sounds quite new (reminding me vocalist of Art Brut group, which as fact is strange). Backing vocals aren't that pleasant, but they're sparse. For folk group of this time (no psychedelic influences to be heard here), compositions are quite long and gives a lot of space to develop the song, to the good of this album as whole.

I also like this lazy English feeling I have from this album.

4(+), nice prog folk, full of usual stuff and something more, but together working extremely good. And again, clear bass lines to be heard here. I think that when you want to hear bass, just listen some prog folk songs and you're done.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#267300) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 21, 2010

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
2 stars Named after the fictional character of Fuchsia Groan from the Titus Groan novel this short-lived British band was found by guitarist/singer Tony Durant in early-70's, while he was a student at Exeter University, along with bassist Michael Day and drummer Michael Gregory.Attracted by the use of string instruments, Durant recruited a three-piece female string section for the first Fuchsia release, Janet Rogers, Madeleine Bland and Vanessa Hall-Smith.The self-titled debut was recorded at the Sound Techniques Studios in Chelsea, London and released in summer 1971 by Pegasus.The same album was released a year later in France by Kingdom label.

Durant was not keen of complex arrangements or trully adventurous concepts, his aim as admitted was to build popular music orientations around string sections in an orchestral mood and the final result is very close to his likings, like THE BEATLES jamming with ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA with a touch of early RENAISSANCE.The overall atmosphere with the major use of simple-tuned acoustic guitars and female choir parts kind of remind of CARMEN on their less Andaluz-influenced side.But Fuchsia's music is also dominated by instrumental string arrangements in a Classical Music path, supported by a smooth rhythm section and the acoustic guitars of Durant along with his decent vocals.The album would have been trully original back in 1971, but I am not sure it has stood well against the sands of time.It sounds quite dated, easy-listening and far from the true aspects of progressive music, although there is a certain charm coming out of all these grandiose string parts dominating the album.The tracks sound very similar to each other with the same elements heard time after time without a wind of change throughout.

The band did a few concerts back in the days but lack of promotion and a promised but never fullfilled tour by their manager led to the demise of Fuchsia, shortly after their debut was released.

For fans of E.L.O., British Folk Rock or Orchestral Psych/Prog, Fuchsia has a decent value among their collection's item.For the rest be warned that this is a quite accesible release, closer to British Psych than the emerging prog movement...2.5 stars.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#743755) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012

3 stars The male vocals leave a bit to be desired, but this one has some solid moves. Very much electric folk in spots with slamming drums and syncopations. Good album but be warned that the officially released CD on Night Wing is one of the most poorly remastered progfolk CDs you will ever encounter ... (read more)

Report this review (#183566) | Posted by Jeff Carney | Thursday, September 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FUCHSIA "Fuchsia"