THE BEARD IS OUT THERE

Spock's Beard The Beard Is Out There album cover

Buy SPOCK'S BEARD Music
Live, released in 1998

1. The Light (16:19)
2. Go the Way You Go (12:40)
3. Thoughts (7:05)
4. The Water (23:12)
5. On the Edge (7:01)
6. Fire / Waste Away (Live) (6:01)

Search SPOCK'S BEARD The Beard Is Out There lyrics

- Ryo Okumoto / organ, mellotron
- Nick D'Virgilio / drums, vocals

GUESTS:
- Molly Pasutti and Dibra Lynn Rice / backing vocals

SPOCK'S BEARD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPOCK'S BEARD The Beard Is Out There Music

Beard Is Out There-LiveBeard Is Out There-Live
Inside Out Germany 2004

More places to buy SPOCK'S BEARD music online Buy SPOCK'S BEARD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPOCK'S BEARD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPOCK'S BEARD The Beard Is Out There ratings distribution

SPOCK'S BEARD The Beard Is Out There reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
5 stars In the Eighties we had a small but fanatic group of Dutch progheads who ordered every two months a bunch of CD's from Greg Walker his known mailorder service Syn-Phonic. One day he send us a message that he would like to add a brandnew CD from his own label, he was sure we would love it. WELL, WE STILL DO because that CD was "The light" (1995) from Spock's Beard, what a sensationel 24-carat symphonic rock sound, the best we had heard since Rush and Marillion! This live-CD contains a special version of "The light", keyboardist Ryo Okumoto has embellished the intro of the titletrack with Mellotron waves, that's why this CD is still my favorite one, wonderful! Spock's Beard showcases on "The light" their incredible power and skills: strong, very distinctive vocals featuring an emotional undertone from multi-instrumentalist Neal Morse, propulsive Squire-inspired bass from Dave Meros, dynamic drums from Nick D'Virgilio, bombastic keyboardplay from Japanese veteran Ryo Okumoto and excellent, often howling and biting guitarwork from Alan Morse. The interplay between these musicians is pure chemistry, especially the tension between the Jimi Hendrix-like wah-wah drenched guitar from Alan and the vintage keyboard sound from Ryo featuring bombastic Hammond organ, majestic violin - and choir- Mellotron and delicate ARP Odyssey synthesizer work. The composition "The light" delivers outstanding shifting moods, ranging from mellow with piano to bombastic with floods of violin - and choir Mellotron. A thrilling moment is the break with Spanish guitar runs and swinging piano (a Caribbean feel) while Neal sings "I drink my milk with Tabasco", SPLENDID PROG!! The rest of this live-CD is also very worth listening: fresh, driven and creative prog with obvious hints from Yes, King Crimson and Gentle Giant. This is one of the best progrock CD's in the last 15 years and in my opinion a KEY-album, AN ABSOLUTE MUST!! By the way, I miss the video Live at the Whiskey (99) in the discography, strange because it's a very exciting concert that captures Spock's Beard their enormous energy, humor and skills.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#38222) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 01, 2005

Review by UMUR
2 stars The Beard Is Out There is the first live album from Spockīs Beard. It was recorded at Progfest in 1995 and features all songs from the debut album and two at the time unreleased songs from Beware of Darkness ( the heavily Gentle Giant inspired Thoughts and the semi-ballad Waste Away) plus a cover of Fire. I usually like Spockīs Beardīs music a lot but this live album totally fails to capture my attention.

I was never the biggest fan of the debut studio album The Light ( itīs pretty good but not excellent), so the fact that almost all of The Beard Is Out There consists of songs from that album doesnīt really make this album easier to swallow for me.

As such everything is played by the book but some sections sound very weak compared to the studio versions and the singing isnīt very well sounding. Neal Morse sings acceptable but the other vocal contributions are really weak. The harmony vocals often sound like they are out of key. The worst is the female guest vocalists though. They sound downright horrible. Totally out of tune.

The production is another weak spot. Itīs below standard and really doesnīt help the music.

For me this sounds like a professional bootleg recording and IMO you have to be a diehard fan to appreciate this live album. Iīm a fan but not a diehard fan and the consequence is that I will give The Beard Is Out There a 2 star rating. I hate to be negative when itīs a band I usually like but I just donīt enjoy this album very much.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#182845) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 19, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This is a nice early concert from Spock's Beard, recorded at Progfest in 1995, between the release of their first album, "The Light" and "Beware Of Darkness". If you don't like "The Light" (I do), watch out, as the album is played in it's entirety, along with two songs from the next album.

The sound at the beginning is shaky, and gives the feeling that this might be a bootleg quality recording, but that probably had to do with the festival setup (sound checks are sometimes useless, as the band's equipment is usually moved between the check and the performance). After a minute or so, the mix gets straightened out, and the sound remains exceptional through to the end.

The Light is fantastic and played to perfection. Go The Way You Go has some good sections, but the main themes of the song are a bit simplistic for my tastes, and therefore remind me too much of why I dislike much of Genesis' work. Thoughts is the standout track here. I'm impressed that they could perform this Gentle Giant-like piece so flawlessly.

the album closes with a medley of Jimi Hendrix' Fire and Waste Away from "Beware Of Darkness". While Fire makes a nice closing tune, the pairing with the other song is awkward.

It's still a fine concert recording.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#442898) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 04, 2011

3 stars I bought this CD at a low price and in order to avoid buying the more expensive debut album, for this recording contains all of the first SB offering plus Thoughts and Waste away from the second studio album. So, the live version of The Light, cannot stand up in the light of the studio version. ... (read more)

Report this review (#169605) | Posted by strayfromatlantis | Friday, May 02, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SPOCK'S BEARD "The Beard Is Out There"