THE WINDOW PURPOSE

1. End (0:45)
2. My Room (8:04)
3. His Cold Touch (9:42)
4. ... (1:52)
5. Leaving Yesterday (7:11)
6. Towards Loss (5:55)
7. The Storm Inside (7:56)
8. Coma (7:25)

- Marcus Losbjer / drums, percussion, growls
- Thomas Jansson / bass
- Per Broddesson / guitar
- Andreas Baglien / keyboards

CD DVS Records #005 (2001)
CD remastered by Elitist/Earache Records in 2005 with 1 bonus tracks

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition
and to smietan for the last updates

WOLVERINE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WOLVERINE The Window Purpose Music

The Window PurposeThe Window Purpose
D.V.S. Records
StillStill
Candlelight 2006
78rpm SOUSA`S BAND the gridiron club march / wolverine march [ sousa ] US $27.27 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Entombed - wolverine blues LP first press MOSH 82 US $145.00 Buy It Now 2h 57m
MOVE ON - ...Anytime but now CD Rare 94 1.pr WOLVERINE US $20.99 Buy It Now 4h
Wolverine "Cold Light Of Monday" CD - NEW! US $11.91 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Wolverine "The Window Purpose" CD - NEW! US $11.91 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Unknown Artist The Wolverine Jazz Band... Goes To Piece CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 48m
The Wolverine Jazz Band The Wolverine Jazz Band (Audio CD) Zero CD US $6.12 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Entombed - Wolverine Blue / TH Cassette US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 33m
University Of Michigan 5 greatest games in Wolverine Football History lp 1972 US $5.00 [1 bids]
ENTOMBED "Wolverine Blues" (RARE 1st press CD)Grave,Dismember,Kataklysm,Gorguts US $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Pete Daily, Livery Stable Blues/Wolverine Blues, Jump 12 US $15.00 [0 bids]
Wolverine Orchestra - Oh Baby/ Copenhagen (Gennett 5453) US $50.00 [0 bids]
Ole Dixie Yank Lawson ABCS 567 VG/ VG++ Paramount Records Wolverine Blues US $6.95 Buy It Now 16h 27m
WOLVERINE CD - ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK (2013) - NEW UNOPENED US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 51m
New Wolverine Marvel X Figure Men Loose t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 20h 40m
New Wolverine 2 Marvel X Figure Men Loose t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 20h 40m
New Wolverine 3 Marvel X Figure Men Loose t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $18.99 Buy It Now 20h 40m
WOLVERINE - Communication Lost US $13.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Wolverine Blues: Limited Green Vinyl [Analog] Entombed LP Record US $74.95 Buy It Now 1 day
EDDIE CONDON-Jazum #11-Jazz Concert All Stars-1944-Wolverine Blues/Avalon-LP US $10.35 Buy It Now 1 day
ENTOMBED Wolverine Blues MARVEL COMIC SEALED Tour Promo CD Carcass Slayer X-men US $36.66 Buy It Now 1 day
Wicked Witch, Wolverine Brass, New US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
WOLVERINE - COMMUNICATION LOSS (UK) NEW CD US $12.52 Buy It Now 1 day
ENTOMBED WOLVERINE BLUES 1993 JAPAN CD OBI 2400yen TFCK 1ST PRESS US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Benny Goodman "You're Right - I'm Wrong" b/w Wolverine Blues" 45rpm Promo US $3.00 [0 bids]
GENE BOLEN'S WEST COAST JAZZ GROUP Up A Lazy River/ Washington 45 Wolverine 100 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WOLVERINE Still CD (New) US $17.93 Buy It Now 2 days
Bix Beiderbecke & Wolverine Orchestra Legendary Cassette *NEW* US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Vintage 45 rpm Riverboat Ramblers WOLVERINE BLUES/CONEY ISLAND WASHBOARD US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ENTOMBED WOLVERINE BLUES SEALED CD NEW US $5.14 Buy It Now 2 days
Wolverine - Communication Loss [CD New] US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RUSS MORGAN + HIS WOLVERINE BAND US $12.78 Buy It Now 2 days
X-Men Origins: Wolverine [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] by Harry... US $10.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Lud Gluskin Et Son Jazz Wolverine Album Signed to Marian McPartland US $0.99 [0 bids]
Entombed- Wolverine Blues cd Morbid Angel At the gates US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
RARE - DAVE GRANEY 'N' THE CORAL SNAKES - NIGHT OF THE WOLVERINE - RARE US $4.72 [0 bids]
Hello! Project Shuffle Units Limited Edition Wolverine Onna Kanashii Otona cd1 US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
45 RECORD CLAUDE KING SAM HILL WOLVERINE MOUNTAIN US $2.24 Buy It Now 3 days
Ray Anthony Wolverine Blues What Is This Thing Called Love Capitol 45rpm rare US $4.74 [0 bids]
Wolverine - The Window Purpose (CD 2005) BONUS TRACK US $6.80 Buy It Now 3 days
Sydney To Chicago * by New Wolverine Jazz Orchestra ~ MINT! CD US $3.25 Buy It Now 3 days
WOLVERINE - Still (CD 2006 Candlelight USA) NEW SEALED US $3.62 [0 bids]
1950 10" LP Record Wolverine Jazz Bud Freeman Decca DL 5213 M- VJM Grading US $48.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Art Hodes Jazz Record Six - Wolverine Blues / Someday Sweetheart US $2.99 [0 bids]
EUROPEAN CLASSIC JAZZ TRIO That's Like It Ought To Be NM Stomp Off Wolverine US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ENTOMBED "Wolverine Blues" ORG 1st EARACHE UNCENSORED press RARE OOP!!! US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Dave Graney with the Coral Snakes - Night of the Wolverine CD US $4.72 Buy It Now 4 days
Wolverine - Score CD US $16.21 Buy It Now 4 days
ENTOMBED "Wolverine Blues" LP (LTD 200 EYEMASTER SPLATTER) dismember carcass NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
WOLVERINE - COMMUNICATION LOST NEW CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 4 days
Nicks,Rev. Charles - I Really Love The Lord/Wolverine State Baptist [CD New] US $19.96 Buy It Now 4 days
CHARLES NICKS - I REALLY LOVE THE LORD: WOLVERINE STATE BAPTIST NEW CD US $27.22 Buy It Now 4 days
Hurts So Good by The Heroines (CD, Jan-2006, Wolverine) new US $15.85 Buy It Now 4 days
JAZZ WOLVERINE ORCH BIX BEIDERBECKE Oh Baby/Copenhagen GENNETT 5453 US $199.99 [0 bids]
Wolverine Blues by Entombed (Cassette, Jan-1994, Earache (Label)) US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Gene Rodemich's Orch - BRUNSWICK 2455 - Wolverine Blues & When June Comes Along US $8.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Entombed "Wolverine Blues" 1993 Earache OOP Cassette Dismember At The Gates US $8.49 Buy It Now 5 days
MARCO BELTRAMI - WOLVERINE (SCORE) / SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $19.11 Buy It Now 5 days
ENTOMBED "Wolverine Blues" LP (LTD 100 Blood Song red) dismember carcass NEW US $89.99 Buy It Now 5 days
ENTOMBED "Wolverine Blues" LP (LTD 300 Rotten Soil) dismember carcass NEW US $79.99 Buy It Now 5 days
NEW WOLVERINE JAZZ O - ROLL ON, MISSISSIPPI - NEW CD US $11.46 Buy It Now 5 days
CHARLES NICKS - I REALLY LOVE THE LORD/WOLVERINE STATE BAPTIST * - NEW CD US $16.98 Buy It Now 5 days
Entombed - Wolverine Blues CD Earache Records 1993. Death Metal US $13.13 [0 bids]
Wolverine - Communication Loss UK CD US $11.49 Buy It Now 5 days
Entombed Wolverine Blues 10inch Lp US $20.00 [0 bids]
ENTOMBED- WOLVERINE BLUES cd, sealed, punch hole in upc US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
LOUIS ARMSTRONG Wolverine Blues CD Australia Flashback FB0208 23trks NrMINT US $1.69 Buy It Now 6 days

More places to buy WOLVERINE music online Buy WOLVERINE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for WOLVERINE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

WOLVERINE The Window Purpose ratings distribution

WOLVERINE The Window Purpose reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars It's another band from Sweden, in progressive metal vein. It's interesting to know the fact this band was originally established by drummer Marcus Losbjer and bassist and vocalist Stefan Zell and guitar player joined later. Will drums and bass become dominant factor of their music? In fact, it is NOT even though I have to admit that the drum work is really excellent but not dominant at all. Bass is also played good in this record. It could be most of them are played by Thomas Jansson as full-time player.

First time I listened to this album, I was not really attracted until I ripped the CD and put it as one of play list at my PDA MP3 player. The more I played it, it grew on me and I occasionally spun the CD. Even though the music is nothing similar with Dream Theater but it's not so far away from typical progressive metal music, this band has its own identity. Well, at least from this album alone, I can tell you how excellent the music is. The album starts elegantly with a short narration "End" (0:45) followed with excellent track "My Room" (8:04) which has heavy and rough guitar riffs. It's an interesting intro where dynamic drumming and tight bass lines combined with keyboard shot. I like when the music turns down into slower part just before the first verse rolled into the music. One noticeable thing during this transition is the bass line. The vocal enters in powerful voice, starting from mellow and it moves into crescendo and .. fabulous GROWL! Oh man . I bet even if you hate growling vocal, you would enjoy this growls by the drummer, Marcus Losbjer. It's really awesome. The music moves into high and low dynamically. On low part, there is keyboard work backed with mellow rhythm section where the keyboard melody and guitar sound like a Mike Oldfield's music. The interlude part with guitar solo is truly stunning. Well, my friends ., if you claim yourself as a prog met head, I think you will love this band to the bone! It has dynamic structure and changing moods. It's truly progressive.

"His Cold Touch" (9:42) was I thought a boring ballad but when I bear with the music, I finally found that this is an excellent epic. Yes, it starts with a mellow combination of acoustic guitar work and piano as rhythm section followed with bass and drum which bring the company of vocal work. The vocal quality of Stefan Zell is excellent both for high and register notes. At the first part of this song he sings in low register voice but as the music moves it moves into crescendo with vocal harmony of growling "This cold touch!" style combined with keyboard work that demonstrates symphonic nuance. I do enjoy this track especially on the high point where growling is added. It's so powerful!! At approx minute 5 the music turns into a transition that reminds me to the avant-garde style and then the music moves into next level with guitar solo and changing tempo. Oh my God .. it's so brilliant!

"Leaving Yesterday" (7:11) reminds me to typical art rock music with its electric guitar fills followed with a music which moves into vocal work, inserted with female vocal work. The duet vocals bring the music into high notes in a beautiful way. The music style is medium tempo with some high register vocal notes. "Towards Loss" (5:55) starts with keyboard and bass work followed with heavy guitar riffs that bring the music into energetic composition with keyboard as filler and guitar is played in heavy riffs. The vocal enters with nice growling. It's really nice!

"Coma" (7:25) is another excellent track that favors most of progressive metal lover due to its energetic style, heavy guitar riffs and dynamic rhythm section, followed with growling vocal at intro part. "Release" (2:12) is a short tune with piano as rhythm section followed with acoustic guitar which serves as main melody fills. It's an instrumental track that does not represent a progressive metal vein at all. "Post Life" (5:57) can be considered as a ballad.

Overall, this is an excellent addition to any progressive music collection. Fans of progressive metal will love this album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#121018) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by The Crow
4 stars Do you want to discover the perfect mix between Pain of Salvation and Dream Theater? Then, The Window Purpose is your album...

Thanks to the marvellous production, this record sounds just great... Oliver Phillips and Christian Moos, both part of the band Everon, are also producers... They have their own studio, where they produce other bands apart from Everon. And Wolverine is one of these bands... And they are really really good! This is the only album I've heard from them, but surely I will hear more in a near future, because I'm really impressed with the quality of this debut.

The Window Purpose is not really original. Like I said, if you take some of the riffs and the keyboard sound (specially the Kevin More's one...) from Dream Theater, and you mix it with some of the Pain of Salvation ambiences and melancholy, you'll get something similar to this album... Nevertheless, I think that Wolverine have enough personality to make this album recognisable and original. Like the electronic elements they sometimes use (have the members of Riverside heard this album? I'd swear they have) and the use of the drummer's growls... This growls are specially cool, because they are used like an emotional and expressive weapon. They are really appropiate, specially to give strenght to some choruses!

In the choruses, the Oliver Phillip's voice is also hearable (Leaving Yesterday, His Cold Touch, Toward Loss...), and together with the female's guest voclas, they give the album a lot of vocal richness... Of course, thanks too to the pretty good Stefan Zell vocals, who sounds powerful and inspired the whole record through. His voice is deep and expressive, but sometimes he surprises with some nice high- pitched shouting! The rest of the musicians are also competent... The rythmic section is not spectacular, but they make their work really well. The guitars are rich and variated (I absolutely enjoy some parts...), and so are the keyboards: I LOVE the keys in every song! Specially in Coma and Toward Loss... I really don't know where Wolverine took this keyboardist called Andras Baglien, but he's a really talented guy!

I'm still impressed with the keyboards in Toward Loss and Coma...

Comments of the re-release version: apart from a renowed artwork (wich is really beatiful...), the re- release in Earache Records has a ten minute long track called Again! I recommend its listening, because is really good... I think the instrumental developement is great, and some parts are really hard, almost extreme metal. It even surpases some of the tracks of the album!

Best songs: His Cold Touch (the initial guitar melodies are just fantastic... And so are the lyrics, really touching), Leaving Yesterday (marvellous chorus for a semi-ballad, vocally stunning...), Toward Loss (it start very Dream Theater-like... But then comes the growls mised with the clean vocals, to make a original and different track), Coma (stunning beginning... And the best solos in the album, specially the first one) and Post-Life (Stefan sings his best here... And it's a really proper ending) But honestly speaking, I think this album has no flaws. I just can't mention one weak track in The Window Purspose!

Conclusion: if this album was a bit more original, I would given it five stars... But the evident similarities with Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation, give some sensation of déjā-vu to the experienced prog-metal listener. Nevertheless, the quality of this music is really high, and so is the luxurious production and the instruments playing. So if you like melancholic prog-metal... I just can say that this is one of the best album from this style I've ever heard, despite it has some lack of originality.

My rating: ****

Send comments to The Crow (BETA) | Report this review (#175525) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 27, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars "The Window Purpose" is the debut full-length studio album by swedish progressive metal act Wolverine. The album was released through DVS Records in November 2001. The 2005 Earache Records reissue features a different cover artwork, an improved sound production and an additional 10 minutes long track titled "Again!".

Wolverine apparently started life as a melodic death metal band which can be heard a few times on "The Window Purpose". The music is very influenced by the softer more melodic Dream Theater and especially early- to mid nineties Fates Warning. They do have their own sound even though the influences are clearly heard. Their death metal past is nowhere to be found in the instrumental side of the music but there are occasional semi-growling vocals on the album that tell the story of a band that started out playing a more extreme style of music. The semi-growling vocal delivery is something I could have done without though. Not because I donīt like growling but drummer Marcus Losbjer who growls on the album is not a very convincing growler. It sounds powerless and tame. He simply doensīt sound like he means it. Itīs a minor complaint though and fortunately "The Window Purpose" features lots of great parts and quality clean vocals.

The music is pre-dominantly softer progressive metal with lots of non distorted guitar parts. The only really heavy riff appears in the track "Coma" and itīs only an element among others in that song. The whole album is of high quality but "My Room" needs a mention as one of the highlights with itīs very Fates Warning like off-beat drumming. Stefan Zell is an excellent singer and with his beautiful clean vocal delivery the tracks come to life. The musicianship is generally very strong though. One other asset is the well sounding production.

"The Window Purpose" might not be the most original sounding progressive metal album out there, but if you enjoy progressive metal which emphasize melody and only secondly complexity, "The Window Purpose" is a recommendable listen. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#175701) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 29, 2008

4 stars I'd recommend any of WOLVERINE's first three studio albums.They play melodic and at times dark, heavy and atmospheric Prog-Metal. Interesting that on the first two albums they deal with the subject of abuse.Their second record "Cold Light Of Monday" deals with a woman and an abusive relationship, while this one (their debut) is about a man's personal struggles in dealing with his abuse as a child.

It begins with "End" which brings us to this man's funeral after he has committed suicide.The wind is blowing and a Preacher is gving a few words. "My Room" brings us to the beginning where the boy was the object of abuse. It kicks in heavily before settling a minute in as Stefan Zell starts to sing. It kicks in again before 2 minutes as these contrasts continue. I really like the way this sounds both the dark atmospheric sections and the heavy riffs with passionate vocals. Great sound 4 1/2 minutes as it kicks in again. Nice guitar and some powerful synths. "His Cold Touch" has some heart-breaking lyrics about the fear and loneliness that this boy experienced. "And though he fears his father's eyes, that's nothing compared to the cold touch of his hands".This song starts off mellow with reserved vocals with outbursts of power in contrast. Amazing sound before 5 minutes with the synths and heavy undercurrent as the guitar starts to solo over top. Growly vocals follow in anger. It's actually uplifting before 9 minutes then it turns sad and dark. It ends with piano. An absolutely fantastic track ! "..." is an instrumental of intricate guitar and drums. Gorgeous.

"Leaving Yesterday" is when he's older and has met a woman and falls in love. This sounds more positive and uplifting.The vocals sound really good and we get some female vocals helping out too. Piano 4 1/2 minutes in with tender vocals.This song reminds me of PAIN OF SALVATION. "Towards Loss" is him dealing with everyday life, trying to forget his past but losing the battle and losing his love in the process. Love how this sounds when it kicks in, it reminds me of FATES WARNING a little. The synths are great. Growly vocals come in revealing how frustrated he is. Clean vocals follow. I really like the heavy sections in this song. "The Storm Inside" has lyrics like: "Like a raging storm, my past keeps coming on. Like a thousand daggers, my memories pierce me. My body and soul unite in pain." The music is dark and heavy with powerful synths. It settles with vocals before 2 minutes. Growls 4 1/2 minutes in. Killer guitar after 6 minutes. Great tune ! "Coma" is where he's kept alive by a machine in the hospital after an attempted suicide. It deals with his thoughts as he lies there helpless. Lots of atmosphere in this one. It gets pretty intense though after 5 minutes. I like the synths that follow. Lots of bottom end here. "Release" is where he dies. It's a short instrumental of piano, strummed guitar and drums. A peaceful track. "Post Life" deals with the letter his love finds after he's gone. Strummed guitar and reserved vocals. An absolutely beautiful soundscape 2 1/2 minutes in as it gets fuller. Powerful stuff.

A meaningful and emotional album that I hope will help someone get through their personal storm.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#228537) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 26, 2009

Post a review of WOLVERINE "The Window Purpose"