Jon Anderson

Jon Anderson Lost Tapes Of Opio album cover

from partners
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. Release (27:24)
2. Homage To Sun Ra (9:36)
3. Miraval (8:21)
4. Eireland (7:40)
5. Opio Symphony (8:55) :
- 1st Movement: The Heralding;
- 2nd Movement: Spring Dance Eternal;
- 3rd Movement: Earth Awakening
6. Longwalker Speaks (17:36)

Total time 79:32

- Jon Anderson / performer

- Mike Marshall / orchestrator
- Ernie Longwalker / narration

Note: The actual instrumentation could not be fully confirmed at this moment

Material recorded in the late 1980s and early 1990s, previously released in 1996 in MC only

MC CM6930 (1996, US)

CD Voiceprint - JAVPBX07CD (2006, US) Part of the multi-disc boxset

Thanks to Ricochet for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy JON ANDERSON Lost Tapes Of Opio Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
In The City Of AngelsIn The City Of Angels
Wounded Bird Records 2006
Song of SevenSong of Seven
Wounded Bird Records 2006
Jon Anderson/Angels EmbraceJon Anderson/Angels Embrace

More places to buy JON ANDERSON music online Buy JON ANDERSON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

JON ANDERSON Lost Tapes Of Opio ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(13%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

JON ANDERSON Lost Tapes Of Opio reviews

Review by ghost_of_morphy
3 stars The Jon Anderson who released Olias of Sunhillow in 1976 will never return to us. I know this. I accept this. And yet I keep on hoping.

Probably the closest that Jon ever got to recreating the inspiration he had back then occurred two decades later, over the span of two albums, Toltec and The Lost Tapes of Opio. Toltec (which this review is NOT about) captured a faint glimmer of the charm Jon had in the shorter vocal songs on Olias. Lost Tapes, on the other hand, at least faintly approaches the glory that the instrumental parts of Olias had.

Which is not to say the approaches are the same, there is a huge difference between these two albums. Olias has a moody space-like quality that pervades the whole album and gives it a certain gravitas. Lost Tapes, on the other hand, is bombastic and playful. Lost Tapes doesn't make you sit up and take notice, it just provides a pleasant listening experience. When Olias was released, there were accusations that Vangelis had made significant contributions to the music. Nobody of course has intimated anything like that about Lost Tapes, but listening to it will reveal far more Vangelis influence than can be heard on Olias.

Two things keep me from giving this four stars. Like I said, the music is bombastic and cheery and pretty. That's just about it. It lacks a certain something in the soul department. It's good. It's very good. But I can't help but think that with the right collaborator this could have been great.

The other things is that Jon treats us to a nearly 20 minute long monologue by Ernie Longwalker in the middle of the album. Thanks but no thnks....

3 stars. Judicious use of the Skip feature when the Longwalker material comes up makes me want to give this 4 stars, but I won't.

Post a review of JON ANDERSON "Lost Tapes Of Opio"