THE BASTARD

Experimental/Post Metal

Hammers of Misfortune The Bastard album cover

Buy HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. The Dragon Is Summoned (2:29)
2. The Bastard Sapling (2:23)
3. On Wings of Vengeance (2:28)
4. Hunting Tyrant (2:30)
5. You Should Have Slain Me (3:26)
6. An Oath Sworn In Hell (6:40)
7. The Blood Ax Speaks (2:28)
8. Tyrant Dies (3:42)
9. The Witches' Dance (2:31)
10. The Prophecy Has Two Meanings (2:12)
11. The New King's Lament (1:54)
12. For The Ax (2:56)
13. Troll's March (1:34)
14. Sacrifice / The End (8:57)

Search HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE The Bastard lyrics

Search HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE The Bastard tabs

- John Cobbett / vocals, guitar
- Chewy Marzolo / drums
- Mike Scalzi / vocals, guitar
- Janis Tanaka / bass, vocals

CD Tumult Records (2001)

Thanks to Bryan for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Insect The August Engine, 2003

Fields & Church of Broken GlassFields & Church of Broken Glass
Profound Lore 2008
Fields/Church of Broken GlassFields/Church of Broken Glass
Metal Blade 2010
17th Street by Hammers of Misfortune (2011) Audio CD17th Street by Hammers of Misfortune (2011) Audio CD
Metal Blade
Bastard by Hammers of Misfortune (2010) Audio CDBastard by Hammers of Misfortune (2010) Audio CD
Metal Blade
Hammers Of Misfortune - Locust Years [CD New] US $9.08 Buy It Now 1 day
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE**17TH STREET (180G/45 RPM/GATEFOLD JACKET)**2-LP SET US $27.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Hammers Of Misfortune : 17th Street CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE 17TH STREET LP Vinyl Album NEW US $37.48 Buy It Now 2 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - Church Of Broken Glass/Fields Digi2CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - The August Engine CD Digipack US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - The Locust Years Digipack US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - 17th Street CD US $16.35 Buy It Now 3 days
Hammers Of Misfortune Fields / Church Of Broken... CD NEW (UK Import) US $14.62 Buy It Now 3 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Bastard [CD New] US $9.87 Buy It Now 5 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - The August Engine (NEW CD) US $17.45 Buy It Now 6 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - The Locust Years (NEW CD) US $17.45 Buy It Now 6 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - The Bastard (NEW CD) US $17.45 Buy It Now 6 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Fields/Church Of Broke (NEW CD) US $17.45 Buy It Now 6 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - 17th Street (NEW CD) US $19.16 Buy It Now 6 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - 17th Street (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $36.62 Buy It Now 6 days
(CD) HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - Church Of Broken Glass / 2 CD / Digipak US $15.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - 17th Street [CD New] US $10.07 Buy It Now 9 days
ASUNDER / LIKE FLIES ON FLESH split CD weakling doom metal hammers of misfortune US $11.98 Buy It Now 10 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE Fields / Church Of Broken Glass 2xLP prog metal slough feg US $23.99 Buy It Now 11 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE 17TH STREET LP Vinyl Album RECORD NEW US $40.99 Buy It Now 11 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - FIELDS / CHURCH OF BROKEN... - PFL0400405 US $21.13 Buy It Now 12 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Bastard Reis CD US $14.83 Buy It Now 14 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - August Engine Reis CD US $14.83 Buy It Now 14 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Locust Years Reis CD US $14.83 Buy It Now 14 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - CHURCH OF BROKEN GLASS/FIELDS Digi2CD US $17.49 Buy It Now 14 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - THE AUGUST ENGINE CD Digipack US $11.49 Buy It Now 14 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - THE LOCUST YEARS Digipack US $11.49 Buy It Now 14 days
The August Engine [Digipak] by Hammers of Misfortune (CD, Aug-2010, Metal Blade) US $9.05 Buy It Now 14 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE-FIELDS & CHURCH OF BROKEN GLASS CD NEW US $19.22 Buy It Now 14 days
Hammers of Misfortune - 17th Street 2LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Hammers of Misfortune - NEW - 17th Street (2011) US $14.98 Buy It Now 15 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - August Engine [CD New] US $9.33 Buy It Now 15 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - The Bastard NEW CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - The August Engine NEW CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - 17th Street NEW CD US $15.18 Buy It Now 18 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - The Locust Years NEW CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Fields/church Of Broken Glass NEW CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Hammers Of Misfortune: Unholy Cadaver 2 LP + CD Double Vinyl Record Set 2011 NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 18 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE Fields / Church Of Broken Glass 2xLP prog metal US $15.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Hammers of Misfortune 17th Street 2x LP 180g vinyl 45 rpm NEW SEALED Slough Feg US $29.95 Buy It Now 19 days
MALEFICE Overboard 7" DC hardcore VOID United Mutation Hammers Of Misfortune NEW US $6.98 Buy It Now 19 days
Hammers Of Misfortune 17th Street 2XLP sealed Mint 180 gram 45 RPM US $29.99 Buy It Now 19 days
17th Street [Digipak] * by Hammers of Misfortune (CD, Oct-2011, Metal Blade) US $7.86 Buy It Now 21 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - 17TH STREET (180G/45 RPM/GATEFOLD JACKET/2-LP SET) US $21.00 Buy It Now 22 days
Hammers of Misfortune-Fields/Church of Broken Glass DIGI Profound Lore Records US $15.99 Buy It Now 23 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE THE BASTARD ORIG 2001 TUMULT RECORDS CD US $20.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Fields/Church Of Broken Glass [CD New] US $13.84 Buy It Now 23 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Fields / Church Of Broken... NEW CD Digi US $19.58 Buy It Now 24 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Fields/Church Of Broken Glass CD US $20.43 Buy It Now 25 days
AMBER ASYLUM Still Point CD chamber-rock grayceon neurosis Hammers Of Misfortune US $13.98 Buy It Now 25 days
Hammers Of Misfortune: The August Engine 2003 Cruz Del Sur Digipak Original US $14.95 Buy It Now 26 days
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - FIELDS & CHURCH OF BROKEN GLASS NEW CD US $24.52 Buy It Now 27 days
Hammers of Misfortune The Locust Years 2006 CD Progressive Metal Music Album New US $18.73 Buy It Now 28 days
Hammers of Misfortune The August Engine 2003 CD Heavy Progressive Metal New US $18.73 Buy It Now 28 days
Hammers of Misfortune Fields/Church of Broken Glass 2008 CD Metal Album New US $18.73 Buy It Now 28 days
Hammers of Misfortune The Bastard 2001 CD Heavy Progressive Metal Music New US $18.73 Buy It Now 28 days
Hammers Of Misfortune - Fields/Church Of Broken 2 x LP Black Vinyl Gatefold NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Hammers Of Misfortune : The Bastard CD (2010) US $9.87 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE music online Buy HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE The Bastard ratings distribution

HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE The Bastard reviews

Review by avestin
3 stars (Actually 3.5 stars)

When I first heard this band, I was thrown back to my youth when I heard metal in the 80's. I mean the straightforward, heavy metal with those riffs that made me feel so good, like I have reached home and am now in a safe place. But safe is not what this album is about; especially if you listen to the lyrics of songs such as You Should Have Slain Me or An Oath Sworn In Hell (which also happen to be my two favourite songs here). I will not bother you about the details of the story told in this theme album, but instead focus on the music itself, which is what I pay attention most. I will only say it will appeal to people who like fantasy tales.

HOM has close ties to The Lord Weird Slough Feg through its guitarist John Cobbett who founded HOM (and does the vocals as well) along with other TLWSF members - Mike Scalzi on keyboards and Sigrid Sheie who is the second vocalist. The fact that this is a concept album, does not only reflect in the story that is told in the songs, but can be figured out by the fact that there are recurrences of some sound themes throughout the album and they serve as reference points and are played a bit differently each time they are brought up.

The music - well, apart form it being based on what I view as 80's metal, it brings in a fresh and complex sound into it and makes for a very enjoyable listen, perhaps even for those not into metal music (although it will require some getting used to the more aggressive sides of the album). The guitars have a cool crunchy sound and the drumming can get very energetic and enthusiastic sounding when the tracks develop more and allow for the band's wilder side to come out. What else? Well, there are traces of Doom metal there, which can be heard on the more tortured and slow bits in some songs (Hunting Tyrant), but for those who are just afraid of this now let me calm you by saying; those are merely traces of it. You can also hear some more folk-like moments when the acoustic guitar takes over on several tracks and plays a nice and relaxed tune.

When listening to them, it is quite evident to me that they are highly skilled as musicians and I admire their ability to give a depth and complexity to what would otherwise be "plain" heavy metal (not that I dislike it; quite the contrary. But that is irrelevant here).

Another excellent trait they have is the male/female vocals that sometimes sing separately and on other occasions have a sort of duet. It is impossible for me to describe the sound of their vocals, but those are not your typical metal vocals and they are clean vocals apart for occasional distorted vocals and some screeching vocals which mean to represent other characters in the story.

But what I like most about them is that they have those tracks that as soon as they begin they make you want to move and shake your head due to their excellent rhythms. They have those catchy guitar riffs and drum sections that catch my senses and guide them about as the songs goes on. Not the most complex and amazing parts, but those are certainly the most entertaining. Just listen to those two tracks I mentioned at the opening and also the last track Sacrifice/The End and you might experience what I mean.

To sum this all up, I have to say that I don't find the songs to be all of the same level. Some are very good (like the two I mentioned in the beginning) while others are less exciting and I get a feeling of unevenness as a whole. That been said, there are no bad songs here for me; just some tracks that are less exciting than others and not up to par with the bright ideas portrayed in those songs that I think highly of. This is why I think it is a good album overall, and while not an excellent addition, it would be a pretty good addition to anyone who can appreciate a good and above average metal album. Moreover, it will probably appeal only to "metal people", especially those who like the straightforward sound of heavy metal (especially 80's metal; maybe we can all it vintage metal by now?).

I would give this album a 3.5 stars rating, but as it is impossible, I will opt for the 3 stars rating, which seems more suitable for me (even though a sense of remorse creeps up within me as I do this, but I believe this is the right thing to do).

Send comments to avestin (BETA) | Report this review (#95582) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Post a review of HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE "The Bastard"