MY GOALS BEYOND

John McLaughlin

John McLaughlin My Goals Beyond album cover

Buy JOHN MCLAUGHLIN Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

1. Peace One - (7:12) (J.McLaughlin)
2. Peace Two - (12:10) (J.McLaughlin)
3. Goodbye Pork-Pie Hat - (3:15) (C.Mingus)
4. Something Spiritual - (3:28) (D.Herman)
5. Hearts and Flowers - (2:01) (P.D. Bob Cornford)
6. Phillip Lane - (2:35) (J.McLaughlin)
7. Waltz for Bill Evans - (2:01) (C.Corea)
8. Follow Your Heart - (3:15) (J.McLaughlin)
9. Song for My Mother - (2:31) (J.McLaughlin)
10. Blue in Green - (2:37) (M.Davis)

John McLaughlin - acoustic guitar
Jerry Goodman - violin
Dave Liebman - tenor & soprano sax, flute
Charlie Haden - bass
Billy Cobham - drums
Airto Moreira - percussion
Badal Roy - tablas
Eve McLaughlin (alias Mahalakshmi) - tambura

Recorded in New York City, March 1971.
Produced by John McLaughlin.

1971 LP
CD
(AAD)
Ryko RCD 10051 (US)
Elektra Musician MUSK 52364

Thanks to Aesh for the addition
and to Aesh for the last updates

Buy JOHN MCLAUGHLIN My Goals Beyond Music

MAHAVISHNU JOHN MCLAUGHLIN ?- MY GOAL'S BEYOND (LP) (EX/G++) USD $28.70 Buy It Now 44m 32s
john mclaughlin my goals beyond lp USD $13.95 Buy It Now 13h 3m
MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN My Goal's Beyond LP 1971 Douglas Jazz Vinyl KZ 30766 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 53m
John McLaughlin - My Goal's Beyond Elektra Musician E1-60031 Promo USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN DOUGLAS 9 MY GOAL'S BEYOND VINYL LP STEREO USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN MCLAUGHLIN - MY GOAL'S BEYOND [DIGIPAK] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $14.34 Buy It Now 2 days
JOHN MCLAUGHLIN - MY GOAL'S BEYOND [DIGIPAK] NEW CD USD $23.23 Buy It Now 2 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - My Goal's Beyond LP - Douglas DG VG+ USD $6.00 [1 bids]
JOHN MCLAUGHLIN: My Goals Beyond LP (re) Jazz USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
JOHN MCLAUGHLIN My Goal's Beyond LP OOP early-70's jazz-fusion gatefold-cover USD $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
John McLaughlin ?My Goal's Beyond Vinyl LP Elektra Musician MUS K 52 364 USD $6.24 [0 bids]
MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN My Goal's Beyond ORIG UK DOUGLAS 1971 USD $9.97 [0 bids]
JOHN McLAUGHLIN MAHAVISHNU MY GOALS BEYOND ~ NEAR MINT RYKO DISC CLEAR VINYL USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin LP 1971 My goal's beyond EX+ vinyl orig. gatefold cov USD $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN DOUGLAS 9 MY GOAL'S BEYOND VINYL LP stereo SIGNED USD $19.73 [0 bids]
John McLaughlin - My Goal's Beyond LP VG+ ADLP 6003 Stereo 1976 Vinyl Record USD $10.00 Buy It Now 7 days
JOHN McLAUGHLIN My Goal's Beyond original gatefold Douglas LP VG- USD $3.75 [0 bids]
John McLaughlin My Goals Beyond Dave Liebamn Billy Cobham Charlie Haden USD $12.60 Buy It Now 8 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN - MY GOAL'S BEYOND ( DOUGLAS RECORDS 2010 CD) USD $4.98 [0 bids]
John McLaughlin-My Goal's Beyond CD NEW USD $15.41 Buy It Now 9 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - My Goal's Beyond LP 1971 Douglas ORIGINAL gatefold USD $10.00 Buy It Now 9 days
John McLaughlin-My Goal's Beyond CD NEW USD $17.37 Buy It Now 9 days
John Mclaughlin / My Goals Beyond / 1982 Elektra Records 12"LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Mahavishnu John Mclaughlin My Goal S beyond Spain LP CBS 1974 Gatefold USD $36.61 Buy It Now 11 days
JOHN McLAUGHLIN LP My Goals Beyond 1982 Elektra E1-60031 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 11 days
JOHN MCLAUGHLIN - My Goal's Beyond - CD - Original Recording Reissued - **VG** USD $18.75 Buy It Now 13 days
John Mclaughlin - My Goal s Beyond ( Cd - 1999 - Mint ) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin My Goal's Beyond vinyl LP 1971 Douglas VG+ USD $12.95 Buy It Now 14 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN MCLAUGHLIN My Goal's Beyond LP VINYL 10 Track Gatefold (dgl690 USD $17.03 Buy It Now 15 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin My Goal's Beyond Douglas 1971 Vinyl USD $6.99 Buy It Now 15 days
John McLaughlin vinyl LP album record My Goal's Beyond UK DGL69014 DOUGLAS USD $38.33 Buy It Now 15 days
John McLaughlin My Goal's Beyond vinyl LP album record USA KZ30766 DOUGLAS 9 USD $38.33 Buy It Now 16 days
ELEKTRA MUSICIAN LP RECORD 60031/JOHN MCLAUGHLIN/MY GOALS BEYOND/ NR MINT 1982 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin LP My Goal's Beyond Douglas 9 30766 Gatefold 1971 NM USD $16.00 Buy It Now 18 days
VINYL LP by JOHN McLAUGHLIN "HIS ACOUSTIC GUITAR - MY GOALS BEYOND" / ADLP 6003 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 18 days
John McLaughlin - My Goals Beyond / 1982 Elektra Musician WLP LP USD $5.95 Buy It Now 19 days
McLaughlin, John - My Goals Beyond - McLaughlin, John CD F2VG The Fast Free USD $25.77 Buy It Now 20 days
JOHN MCLAUGHLIN MY GOALS BEYOND~ORIG 1971 DOUGLAS LP~KZ 30766~G/F~SPIRITUAL JAZZ USD $12.50 Buy It Now 22 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin- My Goals Beyond- Douglas 9- 30766 VG+/VG USD $7.49 Buy It Now 22 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin~My Goal's Beyond~UK IMPORT~Douglas~FAST SHIPPING! USD $18.36 Buy It Now 23 days
John McLaughlin - My Goals Beyond (Vinyl) USD $28.70 Buy It Now 23 days
JOHN MCLAUGHLIN My Goals Beyond LP Douglas KZ30766 US 1971 VG+ WITH INSERTS 0C USD $15.98 Buy It Now 24 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN My Goal's Beyond Charlie Haden LP Billy Cobham Airto USD $19.97 Buy It Now 24 days
Lot of 2 cassette tapes JOHN McLAUGHLIN Adventures In Radioland-My Goals Beyond USD $9.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin "My goal's beyond" LP 1971 gatefold ! 1st Press USD $14.00 Buy It Now 25 days
*PROMO* JOHN McLaughlin MY GOALS BEYOND LP ON ELEKTRA RECORDS USD $13.01 Buy It Now 25 days
JOHN McLAUGHLIN - His Aucostic Guitar: My Goals Beyond - 1976 Vinyl 12'' Lp. USD $26.99 Buy It Now 26 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN "My Goal's Beyond" G/F LP - Douglas S DGL 69014 USD $12.48 Buy It Now 27 days
Mahavishnu John Mclaughlin - my goals beyond cd USD $49.99 Buy It Now 27 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN "My Goal's Beyond" LP Gatefold, 1971 LP VG/VG+ woc USD $5.50 Buy It Now 27 days
JOHN McLAUGHLIN My Goal's Beyond NM Douglas UK Sri Chimnoy Goodbye Pork Pie Hat USD $24.99 Buy It Now 28 days
John McLaughlin "My Goal's Beyond" 1976 Jazz/Fusion LP, Nice VG++!, on Douglas USD $5.96 Buy It Now 29 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN MCLAUGHLIN - My Goals Beyond - CD - **Excellent Condition** USD $20.95 Buy It Now 29 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin ?- My Goal's Beyond LP UK 1971 Douglas ?- DGL 69014 USD $18.00 Buy It Now 30 days
John McLaughlin My Goal's Beyond A1 B1 UK LP DGL 69014 USD $15.61 Buy It Now 30 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN MCLAUGHLIN My Goals Beyond DOUGLAS LP VG++ gatefold USD $9.50 Buy It Now 31 days
JOHN MCLAUGHLIN: My Goal's Beyond LP (UK, gatefold cover, red label, some corne USD $30.00 Buy It Now 36 days
MAHAVISHNU JOHN MCLAUGHLIN MY GOAL'S BEYOND KZ 30766 VINYL LP 1971 ORIG PRESS USD $8.99 Buy It Now 37 days
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - My Goal's Beyond RARE Original 1971 "Douglas 9" LP USD $15.99 Buy It Now 39 days

More places to buy JOHN MCLAUGHLIN music online Buy JOHN MCLAUGHLIN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

JOHN MCLAUGHLIN My Goals Beyond ratings distribution

JOHN MCLAUGHLIN My Goals Beyond reviews

Review by Atavachron
3 stars Wonderfully rich and melodic session with John, Billy Cobham, Jerry Goodman, Charlie Haden, Airto Moreira and other greats. The music has an unabashed Indian sound but outshines that label beautifully with introspective, moody acoustic psych-jazz that goes between composed and spontaneous. A special recording by a special group of guys at a special time, this is one of McLaughlin's best projects and gets a bit lost in the shuffle but if you crave something that is at once both light and heavy, 'My Goals Beyond' is extremely satisfying.
Review by Chris S
3 stars JM again has an incredible back up for the release of My Goals Beyond. It is a good piece of work although I prefer Mahavishnu Orchestra's work. What it does portray is that JM was exploring numerous boundaries both spiritually and musically hence the direction he was taking. " Peace two" obviously the highpoint on the album. the rest of the album has pretty short songs and at times don't deliver enough direction wise.' Song For My Mother' and the Miles Davis ' Blue In Green' are great. Technically this album is flawless as one would expect from John McLaughlin and it is also quite revered by his fan base.Good 3 stars to prove it. There is no question he is a genius at work.
Review by oliverstoned
4 stars An underrated world jazzrock masterpiece. "Peace One" and "Peace Two" offer a fusion of Indian rhythms and drones with jazz flights from flutist/soprano saxophonist Dave Liebman. The mood is highly spiritual and ethereal all along the record with a sound richness and an intensity that will be hardly achieved on Mc Laughlin future works. The record features future Mahavishnu Orchestra band mates Billy Cobham and Jerry Goodman. Airto and Badal Roy also come along for the joyful ride. Violinist Goodman, in particular, makes some impressive interventions. An essential record from the mystic jazzrock genre.
Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars This would McLaughlin's last solo album before the release of Electric Guitarist in 78, as Mc will have two group projects, first the Mahavishnu Orchestra, then Shakti. And this album actually has some ramifications in both projects: MGIB is the album where McLaughlin meets violinist Jerry Goodman and drummer Billy Cobham (both members of MO) and most of the second side shows the tastes McL has for Indian music, something he will delve in with Shakti.

MGIB comes with a stellar cast of supporting musicians, but weirdly enough, he doesn't need them for the whole of the first side, as it is strictly acoustic and a solo performance (some Gong banging on two tracks). A series of 8 guitar pieces, half of which are covers of jazz giants such as Mingus, Corea and Miles interspaced with three original tracks, fill up the first half of the album and no matter how well executed, they are pretty well sleep-inducing, aside in the superb Song For My Mother (and profits for his guru ;-) and the excellent Phillip Lane, both being McLaughlin compositions, filled with fiery guitar lines; the third Follow Your Heart completing the podium.

The flipside is rather different (if you forget the Miles cover), with two lengthy tracks totalling almost 20 minutes, both of them delving into Indian classical music and driven by solid raga beats. The first piece of Peace (I know, toooo easy ;-)) is a killer track slowly evolving from an acoustic fusion jazz, where only Malahakshmi's sitar give an Indian sound at first, but the track slowly morphs into a raga (tabla drums slowly appears), with Liebman's flute adding a magic touch, soon relayed by Goodman's violin. By mid-track, the song had veered into a full-blown raga, but the musicians manage to return to the original acoustic jazz-fusion. The second instalment is almost as equally impressive, Liebman's saxello, Goodman's violins taking the forefront. In both tracks, McL could've added some fiery guitar lines, but chose to remain discreet.

As usual with McL's solo albums, MGIB is a bit of a pot-pourri, but certainly less so here than in later 70's solo ventures. Soon McL would take Cobham and Goodman with him and found one of jazz-rock's most stupendous JR/F groups Mahavishnu Orchestra over the next five years with two different line- ups. While I wouldn't call this album even close to essential, compared to MO's oeuvre, MGIB does merit its fourth star, principally on the strength of McL's compositions, crushing the covers, no matter from whom they are.

5 stars One of the better McLaughlin albums, this one is all acoustic and has some of his best tracks. Peace One and Peace Two are both every good. His version of Goodbye Porkpie Hat is one of the best I've heard. Also, his original; Follow Your Heart, is a memorable piece. Highly recomenmded, McLaughlin ... (read more)

Report this review (#152118) | Posted by King Crimson776 | Wednesday, November 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JOHN MCLAUGHLIN "My Goals Beyond"