UTOPIA

Good, but non-essential

Buy UNEXPECT Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. Vespers Gold (7:32)
2. Constellations and Mysticism (5:38)
3. Metamorphosis (2:45)
4. Shades of a Forbidden Passion (6:46)
5. Palace of Dancing Souls (2:55)
6. The Fall of Arthrone (7:29)
7. Ethereal Dimensions (7:47)
8. The Flames of Knowledge Forever Lost (7:16)
9. In Velvet Coffins We Sleep (8:55)
10. The Revival (8:31)

- Merzenya / keyboards
- Le Bateleur / violin
- Elda / vocals

CD Independent (1999)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition

UNEXPECT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy UNEXPECT Utopia Music

In A Flesh AquariumIn A Flesh Aquarium
The End Records 2006
We InvadersWe Invaders
Galy Records/Lumberjack 2006
Audio CD$127.39 (used)
In a Fresh AquariumIn a Fresh Aquarium
3d Japan 2006

More places to buy UNEXPECT music online Buy UNEXPECT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for UNEXPECT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

UNEXPECT Utopia ratings distribution

UNEXPECT Utopia reviews

Review by UMUR
2 stars "Utopia" is the debut full-length studio album by Canadian avant garde metal act Unexpect. The album was self-released by the band in 1999. "Utopia" was released 7 years before Unexpect´s critically acclaimed breakthrough album "In a Flesh Aquarium (2006)". The band hadn´t been inactive in those 7 years though as they released an EP called "We, Invaders" in 2003.

The music on "Utopia" is unmistakably the sound of Unexpect. If you are familiar the avant garde metal style they play on "In a Flesh Aquarium" you won´t be surprised by how they sound on "Utopia". "Utopia" is just a pretty imature version of the music style on the excellent "In a Flesh Aquarium". Unexpect mix genres like thrash metal/ black metal/ death metal/ symphonic metal/ Avant garde and power metal which gives them their own unique sound. The vocal style is generally very aggressive but there are semi-operatic female vocals on the album too. The compositions are as mentioned a bit imature though and the album comes off inconsistent and a bit amaturish as a consequence of the songwriting but the musicianship on "Utopia" is also a bit shaky and some parts suffer quite a bit because of that.

The worst part of "Utopia" and the part that almost completely ruins my listening experience is the production though. The sound is weak, empty and seriously lacking power. The guitars sound powerless and the drums (which by the way are a bit to busy for comfort during some of the calm parts on the album) have an awful sound. The sound on the album is pretty much what I´d call demo quality and not of the good kind.

I´d say "Utopia" is a hardcore fan thing only. I´m not even sure the hardcore fans will enjoy this too much. Imature songwriting, bad sound production and shaky musicianship adds up to a 1.5 - 2 star rating.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#185218) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 10, 2008

Review by horsewithteeth11
2 stars As much as I love In a Flesh Aquarium, this album comes nowhere near close to it. There are however a few redeeming features though.

This album was released seven years before In a Flesh Aquarium, often hailed as one of the most innovative avant-garde metal albums ever made (not to mention it being ridiculously heavy). The music on Utopia is very much Unexpect; they sound significantly less mature than on their sophomore effort however. The blend of genres is here, from several types of metal to operatic and classical influences, but there are little to no avant-garde moments on here. I feel that Unexpect is at their best when they are wild and chaotic, and without these avant-garde moments Utopia feels fairly bland and dry. Actually, I usually have a hard time listening to this album all the way through, because many of the songs feel same-y and that always makes me drift off. I always find it annoying, given that good music never has a problem keeping my attention.

The one thing that bothers me the most about this album though is the production. It's very raw (and I like raw production quality sometimes), but it doesn't feel like it helps the music. In fact it hurts it a lot. It's also probably part of the reason why many of the songs sounds fairly similar to me. Even if you like In a Flesh Aquarium, you might not like this album. There should be just enough here to keep you occupied (at least for some of the time) if you are a fan of the band's second album though. I can't give any higher than 2 stars.

Send comments to horsewithteeth11 (BETA) | Report this review (#239979) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 18, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Utopia' - uneXpect (7/10)

Nowadays, uneXpect (or Unexpect) are the darlings of avant-garde metal. Their latest album has met incredible reception, and their second work 'In A Flesh Aquarium' is considered a modern classic. As some of the most chaotic and innovative musicians I have ever heard, uneXpect have already set their legacy in stone, and may be considered to be one of the most talented acts going on today. 'Utopia' is the band's all-but-forgotten debut. Much in the way maudlin of the Well's 'My Fruit... Psychobells' is overlooked in favour of its stronger successors, 'Utopia' appears to be unknown, even to many of the band's fans. Obscure as it is, 'Utopia' delivers the band's signature style in a rawer, less defined form. As one might expect, 'Utopia' does not hold a candle to the two albums that would follow, but the band's potential and talent is evident.

When describing uneXpect's style, many terms come to mind. This Canadian act draws sounds from death metal, black metal, gypsy folk, circus music, and makes for an absolute mind-boggle of a listen. This sense of insanity is what largely defines uneXpect's work, and makes it special. 'Utopia' shows uneXpect playing in a less chaotic gear, although there is plenty of forward thinking. The music is a crossroads between black, death, and symphonic metal, with growls, Cradle of Filth-esque rasps, and female clean vocals all making themselves heard, sometimes in unison. The music is technical and weird, but both of those elements are not quite as bombastic as they are in later uneXpect material. The production is functional, but admittedly does not do the busy sound a fair justice.

The band's musicianship is very good, although the highly ambitious nature of uneXpect's music seems to be slightly out of grasp in regards to their recording abilities. On future albums, every element of this band's makeup would be improved upon, but that does not rob 'Utopia' of being a strong listen in its own regard. There is plenty of the weird and wonderful to digest here, as long as listeners do not expect the same polish that they are used to from this band.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#579029) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011

3 stars First off this is a bit less experimental then In a Flesh Aquarium but for most would be considered Avant Garde and quite experimental, and it is. It uses numerous influences from many genres and sub-genres but a big difference between this cd and Flesh Aquarium is the use of Power Metal influenc ... (read more)

Report this review (#208880) | Posted by kojurama | Thursday, March 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Being a debut album, this piece of works is actually quite awesome. It shows a great potential that the band have and of course a very good starting point. Unexpect is a great band with a really unique styles; they mix a lot of element in their music such as metal, classic, and some other styles ... (read more)

Report this review (#128013) | Posted by kazansky | Tuesday, July 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I've wasted many of my valuable votes by not writing reviews, so here's my first. After renewing my taste for the heavier side of music, I was searching for interesting "new" bands to try out. Mainly by Google-ing for Death Metal top 10s and such. The name Unexpect came at me from many sides. ... (read more)

Report this review (#116607) | Posted by lurkist | Wednesday, March 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of UNEXPECT "Utopia"