SPECS OF PICTURES BURNT BEYOND

Zero Hour Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond album cover

Buy ZERO HOUR Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Face the Fear (9:00)
2. The Falcon's Cry (8:00)
3. Embrace (2:24)
4. Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond (7:34)
5. Zero Hour (2:27)
6. I Am Here (4:58)
7. Evidence of the Unseen (8:44)

Search ZERO HOUR Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond lyrics

Search ZERO HOUR Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond tabs

- Jasun Tipton / guitar
- Troy Tipton / bass
- Chris Salinas / vocals
- Mike Guy / drums

CD Sensory Records #3034 (2006)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

ZERO HOUR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ZERO HOUR Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond Music

Vinyl$129.98
another goodbye 12another goodbye 12
CREATIVE FUNK
Vinyl$15.00 (used)
World War II Tokyo Rose LP Iva Toguri D'Aguino Zero Hour Traitor? Patriot? Nice US $50.00 [0 bids]
Piazzolla,Astor & New Tango Qu - Tango Zero Hour [CD New] US $13.82 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Eidolon - Apostles Of Defiance + Zero Hour / ORG 2003 Metal Blade US $3.50 [0 bids]
Man of Sin by Varnaline (CD, Mar-1996, Zero Hour) US $3.75 Buy It Now 17h 9m
PLIMSOULS Zero Hour 12" EP w/PS Nerves Peter Case POWERPOP US $25.43 Buy It Now 17h 58m
BLACKROSE 1986 EX/NM LP ZERO HOUR private METAL Turbo Energy Music BLACK ROSE US $26.99 [0 bids]
22 Brides Beaker Zero Hour CD Promo Compact Disc Speedy and Free US Shipping US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Varnaline - Grover - ZERO HOUR RECORDS SPRING '96 CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pop Promo 45 PEGGY KING WITH FRANK DE VOL & HIS ORCH. Zero Hour on Columbia (pro US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MEGASHIRA**ZERO HOUR**CD US $6.90 Buy It Now 1 day
The Avengers - Zero Hour - Get Back Music GET110 Italian Import-White Vinyl-VG+ US $20.00 [0 bids]
VA "Threadwaxing Space Live" 1995 Zero Hour Comp. LP/Giant Sand/Guided by Voices US $5.99 [0 bids]
VARNALINE - Sweet Life CD VG++/NM Zero Hour ZER CD 4130 US $3.74 Buy It Now 1 day
ASTOR PIAZZOLLA & NEW TANGO QUINTET Tango: Zero Hour PANGEA LP NM US $10.60 [4 bids]
Tango: Zero Hour by Astor Piazzolla (CD, Aug-1998, Atlantic (Label)) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver [CD New] US $12.77 Buy It Now 2 days
ASTOR PIAZZOLLA - TANGO: ZERO HOUR NEW CD US $24.48 Buy It Now 2 days
MEGASHIRA - ZERO HOUR NEW CD US $23.31 Buy It Now 2 days
MEGASHIRA - ZERO HOUR [MEGASHIRA] [784023101424] - NEW CD US $13.47 Buy It Now 2 days
Man of Sin by Varnaline (CD, Mar-1996, Zero Hour) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Bollywood Zero Hour Mashup 2 Remix Mix Movie songs 2 CD SET US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Zero Hour by Megashira (CD, Feb-1998, Street Beat Records) WORLDWIDE SHIP AVAIL! US $5.94 Buy It Now 2 days
My Wild Life by Grover (CD, Jan-1996, Zero Hour) US $1.60 Buy It Now 2 days
Tango: Zero Hour by Astor Piazzolla CD US $8.00 [0 bids]
Christmas Present for You from Zero Hour (CD, Nov-1995, Zero Hour) US $10.94 [0 bids]
ZERO HOUR - DARK DECEIVER NEW CD US $23.31 Buy It Now 2 days
Astor & New Tango Qu Piazzolla - Tango Zero Hour CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Megashira - Zero Hour CD US $18.61 Buy It Now 3 days
Livres des Monstres * by Kittywinder (CD, Aug-1996, Zero Hour) US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
22 Brides by 22 Brides (CD, 1994, Zero Hour) US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond by Zero Hour (CD, Nov-2006, Sensory) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Metamorphosis by Zero Hour (CD, Jul-2003, Sensory) US $9.99 [0 bids]
GLASGOW - ZERO HOUR ONE CD PRAYING MANTIS SHY WHITESNAKE SHOGUN EXCALIBUR US $7.90 [0 bids]
1996 Varnaline Hammer / Hear 7" Zero Hour Clear Vinyl ZHS7-118 Promo NM+ US $4.12 Buy It Now 4 days
Voyager by Space Needle (CD, Feb-1996, Zero Hour US $4.90 [0 bids]
Steve Wynn Shelley's Blues, Pt. 2 CD Single Zero Hour Zhd 5P04 US $7.49 Buy It Now 4 days
ZERO HOUR - THE TOWERS OF AVARICE - NEW CD US $13.72 Buy It Now 5 days
Zero Hour A Christmas Present For You From...New CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice (CD used)(Watchtower, Spastic Ink, Symphony X) US $6.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Multi-Kat Mixy-Mix [EP] by Multiple Cat (CD, Aug-1997, Zero Hour) US $3.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Astor Piazzolla Tango : Zero Hour KM Audiophile 1986 PROMO ULTRASONIC CLEANED US $45.00 Buy It Now 6 days
THE AVENGERS Zero Hour: June 13, 1979 white vinyl OOP import LP US $6.98 [0 bids]
Demolition Day-22 Brides NEW (CD, Apr-1998, Zero Hour) US $6.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Beaker by 22 Brides NEW SEALED(CD, Nov-1995, Zero Hour) US $6.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Optiv & BTK ?- Zero Hour / Beserker FREQUENCY / RAM RECORDS ANDY C US $6.77 Buy It Now 6 days
Zero Hour - A Fragile Mind (CD new, Sensory 2005) (Watchtower, Futures End) US $6.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Scream of the Weak by Kittywinder (CD, Mar-1995, Zero Hour) US $1.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Zero Hour - Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond NEW CD US $17.13 Buy It Now 6 days
Departure Of One by The Zero Hour‚ (CD, 1995, Rude Dog Records)-RARE US $7.99 Buy It Now 6 days
PLIMSOULS: Zero Hour LP (mini-LP, VG+ cover 'dist by Jem' sticker on back cover US $25.00 Buy It Now 6 days
RADIO SHOW - X Minus One: Hallucination Orbit 1956 - Escape: Zero Hour 1953 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Various Artists Xmas Present for You From Zero Hour CD US $3.96 Buy It Now 6 days
Melting in the Dark by Steve Wynn (CD, Jul-1996, Zero Hour) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Astor Piazzolla Tango Zero Hour Hybrid SACD JAPAN NEW US $37.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Tango: Zero Hour by ASTOR PIAZZOLLA (CD, 1993, Just a Memory Canada) US $9.95 Buy It Now 7 days
OLD TIME RADIO OTR ZERO HOUR 109 EPS ON 1 CD MP3 US $4.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Zero Hour by Snaufer-Garvin Duo US $0.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Various Artists,KITTYWINDER,KEVIN SALEM,CD,Xmas Present for You From Zero Hour US $6.99 Buy It Now 7 days
POWER POP - THE RECORDS TRIBUTE CD (Aust. Zero Hour 2012) US $9.38 Buy It Now 7 days
Scream of the Weak by Kittywinder (CD, Mar-1995, Zero Hour) US $2.19 Buy It Now 7 days
VOICE IN TIME - OZONE HOLE - ZERO HOUR - SEALED LP- '90 US $12.95 Buy It Now 7 days
Scream of the Weak by Kittywinder (CD, Mar-1995, Zero Hour) US $3.99 Buy It Now 8 days
BOLLYWOOD ZERO HOUR MASHUP VOL.2 - BOLLYWOOD REMIX 2 CD SET - FREE POST US $16.96 Buy It Now 8 days
CD: Tango Zero Hour - Astor Piazzolla & New Tango Qu - Sealed US $28.79 Buy It Now 8 days
Territory Shall Mean the Universe by Multiple Cat (CD, Oct-1996, Zero Hour) US $3.99 Buy It Now 8 days
UNOPENED STEPHANIE SAYERS CHRISTMAS ISLAND CD 1995 ZERO HOUR RECORDS US $12.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Various Artists, Xmas Present for You From Zero Hour Audio CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Zero Hour - Out Of The Woods - CD (Greg Gibson 2003) US $18.84 Buy It Now 9 days
Tongue Dried Sun - Zero Hour CD US $9.00 Buy It Now 9 days
ASTOR PIAZZOLLA CD tango zero hour : hr 1986 jazz US $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Multi-Kat Mixy-Mix [EP] by Multiple Cat (CD, Aug-1997, Zero Hour) US $4.76 Buy It Now 9 days
ZERO HOUR - DARK DECEIVER * - NEW CD US $9.76 Buy It Now 9 days
Tango: Zero Hour - Astor Piazzolla New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.17 Buy It Now 10 days
Another Goodbye-Zero Hour-LP-CFM-5000-Vinyl Record US $7.28 Buy It Now 10 days
Zero Hour US $3.96 Buy It Now 10 days
Zero Hour US $3.96 Buy It Now 10 days
INTERPLANETARY PROPHETS Zero Hour 12" NEW VINYL Planet Mu Ital Hieroglyphic Bei US $13.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Death Machine by Death Machine CD 2003 Debut Sensory Zero Hour Metal Grindcore US $5.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Zero Hour-by Megashira-1998 Album CD,Street Beat Records,w/Punch Hole On Barcode US $11.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Little Stars Hung Upside Down by Beatrice Nine (CD, Feb-1996, Zero Hour) US $5.00 Buy It Now 11 days
plimsouls 3 lp lot zero hour '80 (everywhere at once) '83 peter case valley girl US $69.00 Buy It Now 11 days
CHILDREN OF BARREN WASTELAND 7" Profane Existence Misery Zero Hour crust punk US $5.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Voyager - Space Needle (CD, Feb-1996, Zero Hour) USA lo-fi psych US $5.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Varnaline ?- Man Of Sin : Zero Hour ?CD US $3.38 Buy It Now 12 days
ZERO HOUR - DARK DECEIVER - SR3042CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 12 days
ZERO HOUR - SPECS OF PICTURES BURNT BEYOND - SR3034CD US $18.96 Buy It Now 12 days
Scream of the Weak by Kittywinder (CD, Mar-1995, Zero Hour) US $4.00 Buy It Now 12 days
Kittywinder Scream of The Week CD Mint Never Played Zero Hour Dog and Pony Show US $0.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Christmas Present for You from Zero Hour by Various Artists (CD, Nov-1995, Zero US $3.00 Buy It Now 12 days
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver (NEW CD) US $20.77 Buy It Now 13 days
ASTOR PIAZZOLLA TANGO ZERO HOUR SEALED CD TANGO US $10.58 Buy It Now 13 days
22 Brides - Beaker (CD, Nov-1995, Zero Hour) US $2.00 Buy It Now 13 days
22 Brides by 22 Brides (CD, 1994, Zero Hour) new promo not sealed US $6.00 Buy It Now 13 days
This Is the Way by Eden White SIGNED (CD, Oct-1998, Zero Hour) US $0.99 Buy It Now 13 days
THE CUCUMBERS Flies 7" OOP green vinyl Zero Hour mid-90's US $2.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Futures End - Memoirs Of A Broken Man (CD new, Nightmare ) (Zero Hour, Vektor) US $13.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Tango Zero Hour - Astor Piazzolla & New Tango Qu US $14.51 Buy It Now 13 days
Aldof & Piss - Zero Hour CD Pop Rock US $16.32 Buy It Now 14 days
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver CD Pop Rock US $18.74 Buy It Now 14 days
JOE MARSALA & HIS ORCHESTRA ROMANCE/ZERO HOUR 78 RECORD US $6.99 Buy It Now 14 days

More places to buy ZERO HOUR music online Buy ZERO HOUR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ZERO HOUR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ZERO HOUR Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond ratings distribution

ZERO HOUR Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond reviews

5 stars This has my vote for one of the best releases of 2006. Although there is a lot of heavy, complex and technical instrumentation here there is also lots of variety including tranquil passages and even a ballad ! The drummer i'm sure is out of his mind ! I was going to say his drum patterns are all over the place, but then I thought, what drum patterns? The lead and bass guitar players are twins, the Tipton brothers. And the singer who previously sang for the POWER OF OMENS is as diverse a singer as I have heard. One moment sounding like Geoff Tate and then hitting the high notes to a low sounding gothic voice. And then there are the lyrics that I don't usually pay a lot of attention to but I was blown away by the amazing words of some of these songs. And combining the emotional and meaningful lyrics with the powerful, complex music was truly humbling for me. As someone has said before "I am not worthy". Of note, there are no keys on this record which suits me fine. And in the liner notes they thank the lead guitarist for SUN CAGED, and also Meg (Prog-Maiden) which I thought was funny.They also drop a couple of F-bombs in thanking other people and end it all by thanking GOD for all his blessings. I love these guys.

"Face The Fear" opens with heavy guitar and odd metered drumming as the vocals slowly rise out of this soundscape from hell. It becomes tranquil 2 minutes in and he sounds like Tate, his vocals are incredible. Full speed ahead 5 minutes in with guitars blazing and drums pounding. Great tune ! "The Falcon's Cry" is such a special song and my favourite on the record.The lyrics are beyond words. It opens hard, heavy and complex all at the same time.The vocals range from gothic to rough to screaming.The song itself also changes from hard to light, fast to slow. Amazing.

"Embrace" is an instrumental with a vocal melody in the background.The guitar playing on this one is pretty cool. "Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond" opens with heavy, pounding drums as the guitar grinds it out and vocals scream.The song gets pastoral after 5 minutes with reserved vocals that are quickly blown away by some great solos from Jasun. "Zero Hour" is another instrumental of intricate guitar and drums throughout. "I Am Here" is a mellow song with gentle guitar and fragile vocals. Nice. "Evidence Of The Unseen" opens with heavy drums and vocals as the guitar slices in and out of the melody, this is contrasted to the softening guitars, drums and vocals 2 minutes in. Again the lyrics are incredible ! The song ends with the words "You are the evidence of the unseen".

I am definitely going to check out their album "The Towers Of Avarice" and the POWER OF OMENS records as well.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#112532) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 18, 2007

Review by The T
3 stars I recently bought a copy of this Zero Hour's latest, SPECS OF PICTURES BURNT BEYOND, and I still can't explain why I did it. As you know, my review of one of their earliest albums, METAMORPHOSIS, wasn't really a flattering one, and I gave the album just one star for what I deemed as the absolute lack of musical coherence I had ever found in a record up to that date. Things haven't really changed that much since that day. It's not that now I love that album, I still find it segmented and lacking direction, and I still find the singer that performed there annoying. But, I don't know why, somehow I found a copy of this latest release in a record store, and I just couldn't stop the impulse to buy it, to give ZH a second chance, so to speak. My relation with Fates Warning had, I think, much to do with the decision: that was a band I used to dislike, with a singer I used to despise, both of which now I like and a lot; FW's music is a clear influence in Zero Hour's sound; so, it was only logical that I though that maybe, maybe things would also change with regards to this San Francisco outfit. That's my only possible explanation as to my purchase, and now that I've actually listened to the CD more than a couple of times, I think it would be fair of me to give my opinion on a band I once categorized as music for "octopus lovers".

I still can't say that I LOVE this band, but at least now I can listen to the album without ever wondering what the hell am I doing listening or it or what the heck were these guys in ZH thinking when they recorded it. I can distinguish some structures here, I can hear some bits that resemble a melody there, I can finally understand that this music has a purpose. In SOPBB (the title is too long to write), Zero Hour has created a collection of very heavy, very difficult, very complex technical progressive metal. Unlike the only album that I had heard of them until this one, here we have coherent songs. Another element that didn't exist in METAMORPHOSIS that I can see now is, as I already said, melody, although it still isn't this band's specialty (nor, I guess, are they really interested on it, as this is not music meant to be melodic.) The music still sounds like a very technical version of Fates Warning with some elements by other bands, but that's the main influence without any doubt. Zero Hour is a progressive-metal band that listened to Cynic and Fates Warning much more so than they did Dream Theater or Symphony X, and it clearly shows. Their music isn't as technical as Spiral Architect, but it's much more complex (in the technical sense) than most average metal bands. In the final track of the album we can even hear some Meshuggah-like riffs, a detail that can surely tell you how heavy and aggressive ZH's music has turned out to be.

I have to mention the change in vocals, as it's one of the key reasons for the improvement that I've detected in this band. Chris Salinas is really a fantastic singer, much in the vein of Ray Alder but even more so in the style of Queensryche's Geoff Tate. Salinas is a versatile singer, going from the metal, screaming approach to the more calmed, restrained mood in a matter of seconds, and he's also capable of some drama, some theatricality, something that's very hard to find in Fates-Warning- influenced singers.

Face the Fear (8/10) The very rhythmical start a la Cynic (and also a la Primus, to be honest) leads to a zigzagging riff that goes upwards, goes down and immediately climbs again. A quiet section that sounds a lot like Fates Warning interrupts the insanity attack. It's worth mentioning the good work by the bass player, one of the highlights in an already very technical band. Madness strikes again, Salinas sounds more Tate-like than ever, the riff sounds like it came from a sick mind, from a complete paranoid person. The song is long but goes by very quickly. The quiet section returns, and the song nears its end. The guitar riff grows more relentless, it seems it will never stop. One of the best songs ever by Zero Hour (which, coming from me, it's not saying much, as I've only heard one other album besides this one).

The Falcon's Cry (8.5/10) The heaviness is evident, imposing. I don't like the singing that much when Salinas almost shrieks trying to reach impossible notes. Another insanity-driven riff of pure rhythmical interest, hardly any melodic one. This album is really a chant for crazy, mentally-derailed people, as the riffs are this close to be perfect portraits of a nervous and mental breakdown. And, as with every insane person, anger is followed by quiet and even beauty. A peaceful part sung by Salinas who sounds 95% like Geoff Tate, only much more schizophrenic. Interesting. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'm hearing good music! This section is truly the best part of the album, as is this song, the best I've ever heard from this San Francisco group. Incredible: 8 minutes that go by like 4, unlike in METAMORPHOSIS where the exact opposite was the truth.

Embrace (8/10) The "Believe It or Not" reality we're living continues, as we face an instrumental of decent melodic value! This is only guitars and more guitars, in an interesting texturing exercise, with Salinas harmonizing in the rear background. Short but good.

Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond (6.5/10) It was too good to be true. The violence starts again with a riff that crushes like heavy machinery. Sadly, the singing ruins the main verse. Yes, the same singing I was applauding moments ago it's the cause for problems here. I just can't take those ultra-high shrieks a la Judas Priest or King Diamond. The music is too neurotic, too epileptic to be liked by me. In this song, the death of melody has been produced again. I can't lie and say this guys can't play, but this track, though far from atrocious (an adjective I recurrently used when reviewing their third album), is just too chaotic for me.

Zero Hour (7.5/10) The riff is interesting but it seems like we've heard it before. Guitar and bass playing are of the highest quality, and the drummer is quite a virtuoso, too. A rather noisy track that is short and concise, and just because of that, it works. Yes, there's no melody in here but when melody-less, rhythm-oriented, odd-time-signature written pieces last only 2 minutes, I can very easily digest them, and I even welcome them!

I Am Here (7.5/10) Clean-guitar arpeggios and melodic singing? We're in Ripley's land again. A good moment of peace and relaxation before the carnage that is about to come. Good, if not brilliant, little acoustic song. Great singing by Salinas.

Evidence of the Unseen (6.5/10) This starts so quietly, just a murmur. We know only cannibalism can lie behind such noise. The riff is another hymn to insanity, straight from the sanitarium, complete with dissonances and odd-time signatures that would make Meshuggah's members quite proud. The riff is just too savage, too terrorizing. Melody has died. But then a quiet, almost atmospheric (yes, I said that) section gives us a second to catch our breath. It doesn't last long and the guitar-engine is at it again. Then another quiet section. The song continues like that all the way to the end. It's not a bad track but it's just too much of a massacre for my taste.

As a final comment, let me say that I'd given this album 4 stars were it not for the two ultra-violent tracks that I've rated with 6.5/10. I have to give credit where credit is due: Zero Hour is a good band that could be even better, for my tastes, if they added a little more melody to their music. But for fans of this kind of metal, I'm telling you, the album will probably be something of a masterpiece for you.

Not recommend for: fans of melodic metal; people that dislike metal in general. Most of all, people that NEED melody in their music.

Recommended for: technical-progressive metal fans; fans of Zero Hour; fans of Cynic, Meshuggah, Spiral Architect, among others.Oh, yes, and Geoff Tate's fans.

.Chris Salinas is the best Geoff Tate I've ever heard.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#120475) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Review by b_olariu
3 stars This is my third review on Zero Hour. I find this album good but, i don't think this is their best , i'm choosing The Towers of Avarice to be the best Zero Hour album, and the most complete and inovative of their works so far. The new voice Chris Salinas (third), is not bad but has not the power and technique like Eric Rosvold (the best), sometimes is like Geoff Tate. I'm enjoying very much this band, so i rate this album 3 stars. Maybe next time will be a better one, that doesn't mean this one is weak, but has not the same value like Towers and Fragile Mind. Recommended to anyone interested into the more technical nature of progressive metal, some similar bands Sieges Even, Spiral Architect, and even Fates Warning. 3 stars

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#120482) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Review by UMUR
4 stars Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond is the fourth full-length studio album by American progressive metal act Zero Hour. The album was released in 2006 through Sensory Records. For the second album in a row the band has changed lead vocalist as Fred Marshall who sang on A Fragile Mind (2005) has been replaced with ex-Power of Omens vocalist Chris Salinas. As I was not very happy about Fred Marshall´s voice and vocal style on A Fragile Mind I was really excited about the prospect of a new lead singer in Zero Hour. As it turns out my expectations that a new vocalist would bring back some of the magic from the Erik Rosvold ( the first lead vocalist in Zero Hour) days, are fully met.

The music is technical progressive metal. Zero Hour is one of the few bands in the genre who has a very unique and easily recognizable style IMO. Lots of fast chromatic runs in unusual time signatures but with memorable and melodic vocal lines to bring some dynamic and accessibility into an otherwise very dark, heavy and challenging soundscape. New lead vocalist Chris Salinas is a great asset to the band´s sound IMO. His voice is very similar to the voice of Ray Alder ( Fates Warning, Engine, Redemption) which might be a problem for some but isn´t for me. The man can´t help being born with a voice that happens to be very similar to the voice of someone else ( I wish I was born with a voice like that) and his performance on this album is impeccable. A very skilled vocalist.

There are seven tracks on the album. All excellent technical progressive metal songs ( well there´s one ballad too). Songs like Face the Fear ( OK I have to admit that when Chris Salinas starts singing in this song it does sound just a bit too much like Fates Warning), The Falcon´s Cry and Evidence of the Unseen are prime examples of why Zero Hour is one of the most succesful bands in the genre.

The musicianship is excellent. Lots of challenging playing and a unique approach to writing music.

The production is excellent too. very professional and well sounding.

Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond is a great return to form for Zero Hour and while the album doesn´t quite reach the heights of my favorite by the band The Towers of Avarice (2001), I still find it to be an excellent technical progressive metal album fully deserving a 4 star rating.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#226957) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars Zero Hour is a progressive metal band formed by twin brothers Jasun and Troy Tipton in California back in 1993. I came across the band after reading about the release of their forth (or third) album Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond and being overwhelmed by all the positive reviews that the album had received from both critics and fans. I decided to dive into this album head first, assuming that this would be something along the lines of Dream Theater and Riverside, two bands I was listening a lot to back then. Well, it's been almost five years since I've heard this album and that's a pretty hefty timespan for an album to sit on a shelf and collect dust. So what's my reasoning behind completely abandoning this release after only a few spins back in the day?

Although I still haven't experienced any of Zero Hour's previous records, I guess that the addition of Chris Salinas was a pretty excellent one since he brings quite a lot of character to this otherwise pretty generic progressive metal release. My main problem here is the songwriting which just sounds too much like a product of the early '90s progressive metal school of Fates Warning or Queensrÿche, rather than that of 2006! I mean, it's one thing to release an album like this in 1996, just when the early progressive scene was beginning to evolve, and a completely different one releasing it in 2006! I've never been a huge fan of regressive metal (aka retro prog metal), especially when it references the not so glamorous beginnings of progressive metal genre. The style and melodies are very generic and it almost feels like the band members are painting their music collage by numbers, instead of working out how they can enhance their work and bring something new and original to their established sound. There's honestly not a single standout moment all throughout these seven compositions which is probably why I never cared to give it another spin after hearing it a few times back in 2006/2007.

I'm sure that fans of the early progressive metal will find something to enjoy on Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond, since Zero Hour stays very true to that concept, with the exception of the sound enhancement of the 2006 sound mixing which sounds miles beyond anything that was released by metal bands in the late '80s/early '90s. Personally, I feel that the terrible sound of the past recordings have not been as much of an issue for me as long as long as the recording has a personality of it's own and some metal riffs to back it up! This is the main my reasoning behind such a poor rating that's being awarded here.

**** star songs: Face The Fear (9:00) Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond (7:36)

*** star songs: The Falcon's Cry (8:01) Embrace (2:25) Zero Hour (2:28) I Am Here (4:59) Evidence Of The Unseen (8:44)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#588323) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 14, 2011

4 stars This is the first album I have heard from Zero Hour. Although I liked it quite a bit, I don't really feel that I have all that much to say about it. Since I started writing this review though, I'll try to put my thoughts into words anyway. ;) First off, it's a very good album of melodic progressi ... (read more)

Report this review (#803469) | Posted by FunkyM | Sunday, August 12, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Zeros Hour's latest album 'Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond' is, along with Mastodon's Blood Mountain, the best album of 2006. This album was my introduction to Zero Hour. It is great to hear technical and complex music such as this, which follows in the tradition of Watchtower and Psychotic Wal ... (read more)

Report this review (#108099) | Posted by Hrvat | Saturday, January 20, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars (First of all, I am NOT plagerizing. This review was originally written for metal- archives.com) Now that I got that off my chests... on to the review. Ahem... Zero Hour has quickly become one of my favorite prog bands of the past several years. The level of musicianship is exemplary. The p ... (read more)

Report this review (#108023) | Posted by Salvation Now | Friday, January 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the first album I got from this band, and I must say, it's a good one. The music is a combination of Dream Theater and Fates Warning with their own twist. The voice comes close to an early Geoff Tate (Queensryche). Stable with a high pitch. If you are a fan off the three named bands, y ... (read more)

Report this review (#104328) | Posted by Hét LICHAAM | Sunday, December 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Oh finally some great and true progressive metal ... I´m really tired from many releases which are rated as a progressive metal but in a fact they have nothing to do with such a great style as a progressive metal is... Zero Hour has made a big step forward from their latest album, I can´t say ... (read more)

Report this review (#95233) | Posted by | Friday, October 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ZERO HOUR "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond"