AS ON A DARKLING PLAIN

Ten Jinn

Ten Jinn As On A Darkling Plain album cover

Buy TEN JINN Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. As on a darkling plain: (40:54)
i) The dance of Les Innocents (5:40)
ii) Darkling plain (7:19)
iii) Byzantine fire (5:07)
iv) Theater of the vampires (1:32)
v) Those who must be kept (4:45)
vi) Beautiful Marquise (5:28)
vii) The legacy of Magnus (5:28)
viii) Run away (5:35)
2. Lost in the money (5:55)
3. Blind authority (3:51)
4. Rock (5:56)
5. I can't see (5:03)
6. Tomorrow (6:19)
7. Lay down beside me (in the rain) (5:03)

Search TEN JINN As On A Darkling Plain lyrics

- Bob Niemeyer / keyboards & backing vocals
- Michael Matier / electric, acoustic & Midi guitars

Guest Musicians:
- Stan Whitaker / electric guitars
- Kenneth Francis / electric guitars & backing vocal on "Beautiful marquise"

Cd. Wild Man Records WMR 002 / RECORD HEAVEN
RHCD 18

TEN JINN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TEN JINN As On A Darkling Plain Music

Wheezy Multimedia 2004
Audio CD$59.84 (used)
wildmanwildman
emerald city

More places to buy TEN JINN music online Buy TEN JINN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TEN JINN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TEN JINN As On A Darkling Plain ratings distribution

TEN JINN As On A Darkling Plain reviews

Review by Greger
5 stars The progressive symphonic rock band TEN JINN was founded in 1991. Their second album, partly influenced by the Anne Rice's vampire books "The Vampire Lestat" and "Queen of the Damned", is released on the Swedish label Record Heaven. Their complex music is a mixture of GENESIS, GENTLE GIANT, GLASS HAMMER, JETHRO TULL,QUEEN, SAGA and SPOCK'S BEARD, with a powerful singer, backed up by excellent backing vocals. The ex-HAPPY THE MAN guitarist Stan Whitaker is doing a guest appearance. The album has strong melodies, an outstanding production with great dynamics, skilful song writing and many instrumental passages. The highlights are the 40-minute title track "As On A Darkling Plain" and "I can't see". This could be a future classic. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#7230) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 22, 2004

Review by Hibou
4 stars When I first heard this album, I couldn't quite put my finger on what I found so familiar with it while at the same time it sounded so unique. Blending hard rock, medieval folk and QUEEN-like choruses so shamelessly surely took some guts and I figured I had to grant the CD a few more spins. The results were well worth it as there are mighty strong tunes, here, some solid musicianship and some incredible melodies; even the slightly abrasive vocals fit in somehow (John Paul Strauss sounds like a cross between Michael Sadler and Peter Hammill). Finally, the church organ, the harpsichord and choruses give the album an especially haunting feel.

The best part is by far the epic title track, an 8-piece suite of energetic rock that ends with "Run Away", a track which features a strong SAGA-like instrumental break. I also hear traces of JETHRO TULL and GENESIS on many of these tracks but especially on the bouncy "Byzantine Fire" (reminiscent of "Trick of the Tail"). As for the track "Darkling Plain" itself, it is as perfect a blend of JETHRO TULL and HAPPY THE MAN as you're likely to hear. Come to think of it, I heard HAPPY THE MAN just about all over the album (especially on "I Can't See"), albeit a much rockier version of them.

If you give iit a chance to grow on you, you'll find "As on a Darkling Plain" an arresting album. It assails you with choppy beats and almost gothic vocals, then wraps you up with magnificent symphonic movements. It definitely makes me want to seek out TEN JINN's other material.

Send comments to Hibou (BETA) | Report this review (#7232) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 03, 2004

2 stars Hilarious!!! Man, I listened to this album with a friend of mine and I laughed harder than I have in a long time (as did she). Don't get me wrong, this isn't a terrible album. The musicianship is high, the compositions are fairly well thought out and arranged, and the recording quality is pre ... (read more)

Report this review (#131054) | Posted by infandous | Wednesday, August 01, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TEN JINN "As On A Darkling Plain"