MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning in the Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- Armando Peraza / Congas, Bongos
- Graham Lear / Drums
- Alex Ligertwood / Vocals
- Chris Solberg / guitar

LP NULL FC 36154 (jan, 1979)
CD NULL CK 36154
CD NULL 25AP 1628 (Japanese)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $3.97 Buy It Now 32m 39s
Santana : Santana (Ltd Digi) CD (2000) US $9.17 Buy It Now 35m 4s
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $3.50 Buy It Now 35m 14s
Shaman [ECD] by Santana (CD, Oct-2002, Arista) US $3.50 Buy It Now 35m 14s
Santana, Sacred Fire: Santana Live in South America (CD, Nov-1993, Polydor) US $9.00 Buy It Now 36m 42s
Santana , Audio CD, Between Good and Evil US $5.81 Buy It Now 41m 9s
[7 CASSETTES] CARLOS SANTANA LOT Milagro/Shango/Borboletta/Devadip/Freedom/Inner US $14.95 [0 bids]
45m 25s
Santana Abraxas LP CBS MasterSound 1/2 speed mastered US $4.99 [1 bids]
49m 23s
Juelz Santana - Down / Now What 12" US $13.87 Buy It Now 55m 14s
SANTANA 1978 Inner Secrets 33 Vinyl Record Stormy - One Chain - Well Alright VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
56m 37s
Santana Supernatural CD Rock Music 1999 Arista Records NEW SEALED FREE SHIPPING! US $7.99 [0 bids]
Santana vinyl 1969 US $10.00 [0 bids]
Santana - Performance NEW CD US $6.57 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Santana - Maximum Santana NEW CD US $9.38 Buy It Now 1h 10m
5 used CD's - Ted Nugent, (2)U2, Dave Matthews, Santana US $5.99 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Lot Of 10 Assorted Rock Reel to Reel Tapes,DOORS/JAMES GANG/SANTANA/ELVIS/VENTU US $188.00 [5 bids]
Santana - Abraxas REEL TO REEL TAPE 3 3/4 IPS (Nude Cover) US $9.00 [0 bids]
santana cd - new US $0.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA 1972 Caravanserai 33 Vinyl LP Waves Within-Future Primitive-Look Up VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
Pilarte,Santana/Duran,Onix-Stone Cold Killers (DVD) (USK 18) US $41.20 Buy It Now 1h 36m
DJ Keyz Juelz Santana - "Dipset Gangland Pt 55" Rap Hip Hop Mixtape (Mix CD) US $3.67 Buy It Now 1h 37m
x SANTANA 7" PS JAPAN BLACK MAGIC WOMAN F796 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Lot of 4 Reel-to-Reel Tapes & Boxes: Janis Joplin, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Santana US $83.00 [17 bids]
SANTANA - SANTANA - COLUMBIA-30595 - STEREO US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
SANTANA - "MARATHON" LP Holland press US $9.09 Buy It Now 1h 47m
GREGG ROLIE Roots RARE OUT OF PRINT CD SANTANA JOURNEY US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
SANTANA - ABRAXAS (180GM) NEW VINYL US $47.43 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Herbie Hancock Possibilities Stevie Wonder Santana Christina Aguilera Raul Midon US $9.99 [0 bids]
Santana's Abraxas LP Vinyl Original Record Album 1970 KS 30130 Columbia Stereo US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
DEVADIP CARLOS SANTANA - "THE SWING OF DELIGHT" 2LP's US $15.39 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Santana Moonflower (Double Album) Record Album 33RPM US $32.00 [0 bids]
SANTANA- "BEYOND APPERANCES" Holland press US $9.79 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Santana - Well All Right 7" Vinyl Single US $2.80 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Time-Life's GUITAR ROCK: 1970-1971 [CD, 1994] - NEW! 18 hits - Santana/Guess Who US $12.88 [0 bids]
Girlfight Original Soundtrack - CD - NEW Theodore Shapiro Remy Martin Santana US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Santana - She's Not There 7" Vinyl Single US $3.74 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Juelz Santana - God Will'n NEW CD US $13.56 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Inner Secrets - Santana (2010, CD New) US $26.61 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Juelz Santana - Down - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $8.97 Buy It Now 2h 50m
SANTANA - BLACK MAGIC WOMAN [GERMANY BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $7.72 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Greatest Hits by Santana (CD, Nov-1992, Columbia (USA)) US $3.49 [0 bids]
Santana - Inner Secrets [CD New] US $34.13 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Santana - Abraxas [Vinyl New] US $25.79 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Santana - Original Album Classics [CD New] US $16.53 Buy It Now 2h 52m
SANTANA ZEBOP ORIGINAL LP STILL SEALED WITH HYPE STICKER! US $249.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
THE MANDRAKES PLAY SANTANA HITS - LP ORIGINAL RIVERA RECORDS ( 713 ) EXCELLENT US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
VINYL LP Santana - Festival Columbia PC 34423 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Santana - All We Ever Played Live In Shelton Connecticut Aug 3rd 1980 Promo 2CD US $59.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Santana Arista debut sampler 5 tracks- U.S. PROMO cd - Digipak Dave Matthews US $16.47 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Between Good and Evil - Santana (CD, Sep-1996) US $2.58 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Greatest Hits by Santana (CD, Jan-2005, Time Music SEALED 50 CENT CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Santana Best Of 2CD Set Luxury Edition 2003 US $5.14 Buy It Now 3h 30m
SANTANA - HOLD ON /Oxun (Oshun) (EX+) US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Santana - Smooth (1999) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 4h 22m
SANTANA BEYOND APPEARANCES LP ORIGINAL INNER SLEEVE 729 US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
SANTANA CARLOS - SAMBA PA TI, 2 CD ALBUM, TOTAL 14 TRACKS US $3.97 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Santana's Greatest Hits 12" Record **UNTESTED** US $5.77 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Woodstock Soundtrack 1970 Cotillion SD3-500 3 LPs Hendrix Santana Who CSN NM US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Shape Shifter Santana Vinyl LP US $15.19 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Santana Vinyl LP US $19.88 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live! Santana Vinyl LP US $22.58 Buy It Now 4h 40m
SANTANA - Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics of All Time CD US $5.60 [0 bids]
Dj Omar Santana - Hardhop Tricked Out (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Santana - Sacred Fire (1993) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Carlos Santana Sacred Sources 1 Live Forever CD SEALED! Bob Marley Jimi Hendrix US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Santana Third Album RARE UK Import NM LP Record Album US $8.00 [0 bids]
Pickin on Santana, Pickin' on Santana-Bluegrass Tri, Good US $7.89 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Shaman [ECD] by Santana (CD, Oct-2002, Arista) US $5.19 Buy It Now 5h 14m
TAIWAN PRESSING LP SANTANA ABRAXAS CSJ 997 STEREO US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
TAIWAN PRESSING LP SANTANA CSJ 1172 STEREO US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
Santana - "Festival" - Columbia BL 34423 1976 LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Amigos Santana CD 886972511825 US $5.64 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Juelz Santana There It Go: The Whistle Song (x6) 12 Inch Vinyl US $5.98 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Santana / Lotus (aniv) (ltd) Vinyl LP US $41.73 Buy It Now 6h 4m
SANTANA VINYL abraxas LP Record with Giant Poster FREE US SHIPPING US $15.99 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits by Santana (CD, Nov-1992, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Santana - Maria Maria (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 6h 56m
SANTANA SANTANA ABRAXAS 1st ISRAELI LP CBS ELECTRIC GUITAR ROCK VINYL US $21.25 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Supernatural by Santana (CD ONLY) US $6.79 Buy It Now 7h 22m
SANTANA MOONFLOWER ISRAELI 2 LP GATEFOLD HEBREW CBS ELECTRIC GUITAR ROCK VINYL US $25.50 Buy It Now 7h 24m
NEW SANTANA & ROD STEWART COVER 2014 SR0252 Black Tee Shirt S M L XL 2XL US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Santana/Mother Earth (AKARMA) MINI LP CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Santana Festival Limited Edition Gatefold 180gram Vinyl LP US $45.37 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Santana Welcome Limited Edition Gatefold 180gram Vinyl LP US $45.37 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Prince, Nirvana, Dire Straits,Santana, Frank Zappa - Vox - July 1992 - UK Maga US $13.45 Buy It Now 7h 55m
SANTANA - PERSUASION - QUALITY CHECKED CD + FAST FREE POST US $4.14 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Santana - Put Your Lights On 3 Track CD Single US $6.49 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Santana feat The Product G&B - Maria Maria 6 Track CD Single US $8.36 Buy It Now 8h 12m
THE BEST OF SANTANA US $17.00 Buy It Now 8h 24m
SANTANA / FRIED NECKBONES & HOME FRIES 2tapes US $16.99 Buy It Now 8h 38m
SANTANA SHANGO 1982 JAPAN GOLD CD 3500yen 35DP 1ST PRESS US $99.99 Buy It Now 8h 39m
W.L. Promo - 12" - SANTANA - WELL ALL RIGHT - Vinyl Record is MINT - Sleeve VG+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 8h 49m
CARLOS SANTANA cd2, CD MP3 format, 11 albums US $14.99 [0 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA cd1, CD MP3 format, 9 albums US $14.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#97153) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 05, 2006

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104731) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#111635) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 11, 2007

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#122060) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 14, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#866206) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2012

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"