MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning in the Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- Armando Peraza / Congas, Bongos
- Graham Lear / Drums
- Alex Ligertwood / Vocals
- Chris Solberg / guitar

LP NULL FC 36154 (jan, 1979)
CD NULL CK 36154
CD NULL 25AP 1628 (Japanese)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The Best of SantanaThe Best of Santana
Ultimate SantanaUltimate Santana
Arista 2007
AbraxasAbraxas
Remastered
Sony 1998
Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
The Essential SantanaThe Essential Santana
Sony Legacy 2013
SANTANA Marathon 25AP1628 LP Ar2607 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
1979 Santana Marathon Columbia PC 36154 Stereo USD $8.99 Buy It Now 17h 17m
SANTANA Marathon LP 10 Track With Inner But Has Wear To Spine UK Cbs 1979 USD $6.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Marathon: 30th Anniversary Edition (Remastered) - Santana New & Sealed Compact D USD $18.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Santana Marathon Vinyl LP + Inner Sleeve A1 B1 Pressing - EX USD $9.27 Buy It Now 1 day
SANTANA: Marathon LP (FC prefix, inner sleeve, promo stamp obc) Rock USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Santana Marathon FC 36154 Vinyl LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SANTANA Marathon 1979 UK Poster size Press ADVERT 16x12" USD $15.52 Buy It Now 1 day
SANTANA-MARATHON-JAPAN ISSUE MINI LP CD 1103 D99 USD $19.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Santana - Marathon 12" LP Vinyl USD $8.58 Buy It Now 1 day
SANTANA-MARATHON-COLUMBIA CK 36154 NEAR MINT CD USD $5.98 Buy It Now 2 days
8 TRACK--SANTANA--MARATHON **FACTORY SEALED** 47 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SANTANA Marathon 25AP1628 OBI LP Az5692 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Santana - Marathon CD SONY USD $37.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Santana MARATHON vinyl LP CBS Records 1979 USD $9.35 Buy It Now 2 days
SANTANA Marathon UK LP + inner 1979 near mint/ex+ promo USD $12.47 Buy It Now 2 days
SANTANA Marathon Vinyl LP Record W/Insert Aus Press SBP 237362 USD $7.90 Buy It Now 3 days
SANTANA MARATHON JAPAN USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
10/11/79Pgn30 Advert 15x7" Santana : Marathon album USD $10.92 Buy It Now 4 days
20/10/79Pgn17 Advert: Santana Their New Album 'marathon' On Cbs Records 15x11 USD $15.59 Buy It Now 4 days
3/11/79Pgn48 Advert: Santana Their New Album 'marathon' On Cbs Records 15x7" USD $10.91 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana-Marathon Japan Import LP Complete w/Obi and Insert Near Mint Nice Copy USD $32.18 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana Marathon lp funk soul rock Roger Zapp Funkadelic USD $7.95 [0 bids]
USD $10.95 Buy It Now
SANTANA MARATHON FC 36154 VINYL LP 1979 FUSION JAZZ FUNK ROCK ORIG PRESS VG+!! USD $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana - Marathon CD SONY MOD USD $16.39 Buy It Now 4 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP CBS 86098 HOLLAND ISSUE USD $8.97 Buy It Now 5 days
ORIGINAL SANTANA L.P. 1979. 'MARATHON.' CBS RECORDS. S 86098. EX. USD $3.12 [1 bids]
Santana Marathon 8 Track Tape TESTED USD $8.00 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA CASSETTE TAPE MARATHON ASIAN ISSUE USD $3.69 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA, MARATHON, LP 1979 UK 1ST PRESS A1/B2 EX-/EX INNER/SL USD $12.62 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana(Vinyl LP)Marathon-CBS-86098-UK-VG/VG USD $12.99 Buy It Now 7 days
3 Album Advert 12X7" CARLOS SANTANA, MARATHON USD $12.47 Buy It Now 7 days
Santana Marathon 1979 1st POGO Press, STEAM CLEANED, Audiophile Sound Quality! USD $8.08 Buy It Now 7 days
1979 SANTANA Marathon Lp Columbia Records YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU Hit Single USD $7.00 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA/MARATHON JPN 25AP1628 USD $16.00 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA LP MARATHON NM COLUMBIA 1979 PROMO AL-36154 W/ ORIGINAL SLEEVE USD $25.00 Buy It Now 8 days
MARATHON [SANTANA] [1 DISC] [074643615426] NEW CD USD $9.54 Buy It Now 8 days
MARATHON [SANTANA] [1 DISC] [5099746285326] NEW CD USD $4.72 Buy It Now 8 days
Marathon [Santana] [1 disc] [4547366056631] New CD USD $32.11 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA/MARATHON LP 1979 JAPAN OBI USD $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Santana - Marathon 30th Anniversary Edit (2009) - Used - Compact Disc USD $7.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Santana ?- Marathon Record LP FC 36154 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP ARGENTINA USD $14.00 Buy It Now 10 days
SANTANA marathon LP record album USD $5.00 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA Marathon - VINYL LP RECORD Brand New! USD $29.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Carlos Santana - Marathon (1990) - Used - Compact Disc USD $2.49 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana~Origina OZ LP Marathon VG+ 1979 Latin Rock Blues Rock Carlos Santana USD $10.50 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA Marathon JAPAN LP EX w/OBI + Insert 25AP1628 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Santana Marathon Cd USD $4.50 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA - MARATHON 1979 LP RECORD ALBUM RARE! COLUMBIA USD $10.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon [Vinyl New] USD $31.08 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon - with inner -free UK postage USD $19.66 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP ORIGINAL SHRINK 193 USD $10.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana "Marathon" Original 1979 Vinyl LP ~ VG Condition USD $5.99 Buy It Now 13 days
CASSETTE: SANTANA Marathon ROCK POP USD $6.23 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA Marathon JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW MHCP-2876 USD $23.99 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA MARATHON JAPAN MINI LP CD USD $22.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Lot of 3 Santana Vinyl, Album, Records ~ Self Titled - Marathon - Inner Secrets USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA marathon 1979 UK CBS STEREO LP + INNER USD $12.48 Buy It Now 14 days
Vintage Record Album Santana Marathon USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Vinyl Record Album LP Santana Marathon 1979 CBS USD $19.90 Buy It Now 14 days
Marathon - Santana (2014, Vinyl New) USD $25.78 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA ~ MARATHON Recycled Vinyl LP Album Record Bowl (1979) USD $8.49 Buy It Now 14 days
Marathon [Analog] Santana LP Record USD $47.46 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana Marathon VTG Vinyl LP Classic Rock 1979 Columbia FC 36154 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 15 days
MINT Hong Kong Edition SANTANA Marathon LP 1979 SONY 25AP1628 w/Inner USD $19.99 Buy It Now 15 days
SANTANA Marathon, vinyl LP, 1979, VG+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 15 days
SANTANA MARATHON cbs 79 A1 B2 Lp ex+ USD $12.47 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana - Marathon - CBS - 1979 #410263 USD $10.91 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana "Marathon" USD $11.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana: Marathon (180GV) LP Limited Edition USD $31.64 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA "Marathon" Original 1979 LP Record Album USD $11.95 Buy It Now 17 days
Marathon - Santana (1986, CD New) CD-R USD $12.64 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana Lp Lot, Marathon, Amigos, Inner Secrets, Festival USD $15.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana - Marathon [CD New] USD $12.55 Buy It Now 17 days
Marathon by Santana 8 track tape tested USD $4.00 Buy It Now 17 days
Marathon - Santana New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $41.84 Buy It Now 17 days
SANTANA-MARATHON-LP-NM-COLUMBIA-STAND UP-AQUA MARINE-HARD TIMES-SUMMER LADY USD $9.99 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA - Marathon LP (1st US Pressing on COLUMBIA) USD $23.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Santana Marathon Original Sleeve USD $10.00 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA - MARATHON - PROMO - JAPAN - JAPANESE- OBI- RARE LP VINYL RECORD-Obie USD $39.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Santana Marathon LP 180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl Anniversary Limited Ed NEW SEALED USD $37.85 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA MARATHON USD $6.99 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA "MARATHON" CD NEW+ USD $14.21 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA marathon JAPAN LP NM WAX OBI 25AP1628 kR4 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA 'MARATHON' UK LP USD $12.47 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA: Marathon LP (FC prefix, inner sleeve, promo stamp obc) Rock USD $12.00 Buy It Now 20 days
Santana "Marathon" LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 20 days
Santana Marathon LP Album Vinyl Record USD $7.00 Buy It Now 20 days
Vinyl Record: Santana - Marathon album (1979) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Santana LP Marathon 1979 Promo NM/VG+ USD $12.00 Buy It Now 20 days
Marathon by Santana 2010 Sony/Japan MINI LP CD DSD SICP2876 Carlos Santana OOP USD $29.99 Buy It Now 20 days
SANTANA ~ Marathon ~ VINYL LP USD $10.13 Buy It Now 21 days
Santana Marathon LP CBS 86098 EX/VG 1979 Marathon USD $15.60 Buy It Now 21 days
Santana - Marathon - LP Record VG+ VG+ USD $6.99 Buy It Now 21 days
SANTANA MARATHON CASSETTE USD $3.12 Buy It Now 21 days
CARLOS SANTANA -MARATHON - NICE LP USD $6.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Santana Marathon Columbia Records 1979 2BC USD $9.95 Buy It Now 21 days
Santana Marathon Columbia Records 1979 BC USD $9.95 Buy It Now 21 days
Santana, Marathon (30th Anniversary Edition) Audio CD USD $11.09 Buy It Now 21 days

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.

Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"