MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning in the Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- Armando Peraza / Congas, Bongos
- Graham Lear / Drums
- Alex Ligertwood / Vocals
- Chris Solberg / guitar

LP NULL FC 36154 (jan, 1979)
CD NULL CK 36154
CD NULL 25AP 1628 (Japanese)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
The Best of SantanaThe Best of Santana
AbraxasAbraxas
Remastered
Ultimate SantanaUltimate Santana
Arista 2007
CaravanseraiCaravanserai
Sbme Special Mkts. 2003
Corazon: Live From Mexico - Live It to Believe It [Blu-ray]Corazon: Live From Mexico - Live It to Believe It [Blu-ray]
Multiple Formats · Blu-ray · Widescreen
RCA 2014
Blu-ray$21.88
SantanaSantana
Remastered
Sony 1998
Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics of All TimeGuitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics of All Time
Arista 2010
Greatest Hits by Santana (CD, Nov-1992, Columbia (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
32m 35s
Carlos Santana The Early Years Promo Promotional Import Europe 2001 CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
33m 53s
CARLOS SANTANA MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN Love Devotion Surrender COLUMBIA Quad US $24.95 Buy It Now 50m 25s
Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics of All Time by Santana (CD,... US $4.40 Buy It Now 51m 7s
MIKE BLOOMFIELD AL KOOPER VINYL live adventures of double LP NmNM santana blues US $34.99 [0 bids]
52m 4s
Carlos Santana Havana Moon Columbia Records BC US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Santana Moonflower Columbia Records 1977 BC US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Santana Shango Columbia Records 1982 BC US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Santana Inner Secrets Columbia Records 1978 BC US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Sound Of '70s JAPAN Promo CD Earth Wind & Fire, TOTO, Santana... #P03 US $25.89 Buy It Now 1h 11m
XTC, Cracker, Santana, Spin Doctors, Ringo Starr, Hardline - U.S. PROMO cd US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 12m
All That I Am by Santana (CD, Nov-2005, Arista) US $3.89 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Santana & Rod Stewart - Guest Satin Backstage Pass - 2014 Tour US $9.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA VINYL moonflower Record double LP Live FREE US SHIPPING US $19.99 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista)No Artwork- US $1.00 Buy It Now 2h 10m
SANTANA MARATHON LP 12" RECORD w/INNER US $9.34 Buy It Now 2h 23m
SANTANA SHANGO LP 812 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
THE ESSENTIAL SANTANA (CD 2002) - 2 CD Set, 33 Songs US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
SANTANA samba pa ti EX/VG JAPAN SOPB292 | 13-1101-125 US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
SANTANA: "Welcome" 1973 PC 32445 reissue EX US $12.25 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Supernatural by Santana (CD, 2005, Arista / Sony BMG, Colombia) US $4.99 [0 bids]
MUSICARDS 1991 Pro Set Music Card No 248 Historic Concert BB KING US $4.90 Buy It Now 3h 12m
JORGE SANTANA LP 1978 sexy cheesecake US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live! Vinyl Record US $6.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA SHANGO LP RECORD 12" W/INNER US $6.54 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Santana III (Gatefold) (1971, CBS) *KC-30595* Record, album, Vinyl, LP US $14.97 Buy It Now 3h 30m
SANTANA - "Stormy" 1978 1st US WL PROMO 7" Single - Stereo/Mono - NEW - RARE! US $17.88 Buy It Now 3h 42m
SANTANA - "Well All Right" 1978 1st US WL PROMO 7" Single - Stereo/Mono - NEW US $17.88 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Santana Borboletta Mini LP CD JAPAN OBI MHCP-1005 / Carlos Santana US $195.00 Buy It Now 3h 48m
SANTANA INNER SECRETS LP RECORD 12' w/INNER US $6.54 Buy It Now 3h 54m
SANTANA-CORAZON CD NEW US $14.30 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Santana Supernatural K2HD CD Japan Limited Numbered No. 100 US $33.50 Buy It Now 3h 57m
SANTANA MOONFLOWER LP DOUBLE RECORD 12" GATEFOLD US $12.15 Buy It Now 4h 8m
SANTANA CARAVANSERAI LP RECORD 12' 6 EYE COLUMBIA US $9.34 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Greatest Hits by Santana (CD, Nov-1992, Columbia (USA)) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 25m
SANTANA / MCLAUGHLIN - MAHAVISHNU / DEVADIP LIVE IN BERKELEY - RARE - CD US $39.99 [0 bids]
Santana - Greatest Hits 1974 Compilation Vinyl LP TAIWAN Import US $3.30 [0 bids]
All That I Am by Santana (CD, Nov-2005, Arista) US $0.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA-CORAZON-JAPAN CD F30 US $28.50 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Santana Inner secrets LP SCBS86075 VG/EX UK US $19.17 Buy It Now 5h 41m
THE ESSENTIAL SANTANA, NEW 2CD US $13.98 Buy It Now 5h 53m
GREGG ROLIE-s/t(85) Santana,Journey Top AOR rare CD US $89.99 Buy It Now 6h 8m
SANTANA S/T DEBUT ORIGINAL 2 EYE COLUMBIA VG+ VINYL US $13.91 [0 bids]
SANTANA VIVA SANTANA! CASSETTE VG++ BOX AND BOOKLET US $11.92 [0 bids]
SANTANA Shaman Tour 2003 MEGA RARE Oz Tour Promo Poster MASSIVE BILLBOARD US $140.29 Buy It Now 6h 36m
ARETHA FRANKLIN-WHO'S ZOOMIN' WHO?-9 TRACK CD-1985-GERMANY-EURYTHMICS-C.SANTANA US $11.21 Buy It Now 6h 45m
SANTANA - FROM ABRAXAS TO VERACRUZ DUTCH PROMO ONLY LP US $40.00 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Dance of the Rainbow Serpent - Santana New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $52.64 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Santana 'Festival' Cassette Album (Reissue) US $1.64 [0 bids]
Santana, Ceremony remixes & rarities, New & Sealed CD US $12.11 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles 'Live' Cassette Album (Reissue) US $1.64 [1 bids]
Santana-Golden Legends-Direct Source #GL 61392 UPC# 779836613929 CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
1977 - SANTANA - Moonflower - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.93 Buy It Now 7h 19m
SANTANA - THE COLLECTION CD ALBUM US $7.01 Buy It Now 7h 23m
SANTANA-BORBOLETTA CD NEW US $8.79 Buy It Now 8h 4m
SANTANA-HAVANA MOON CD NEW US $8.79 Buy It Now 8h 4m
SANTANA-BLUES FOR SALVADOR CD NEW US $8.79 Buy It Now 8h 4m
SANTANA-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $4.97 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Carlos Santana & John Mclaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender - Record LP US $7.19 Buy It Now 8h 16m
Santana/Mclaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender [CD New] US $6.28 Buy It Now 8h 18m
SANTANA, Ronny - Electro Blue - CD single US $14.02 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Lot 2 CDs SANTANA Supernatural and Shaman US $4.99 [0 bids]
Brand New! The Best of Santana 3 CD set US $3.99 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live! Gatefold 12" vinyl LP '72 KC31308 rock US $3.99 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles "Live" LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Santana Columbia 45 Record #04758 VG+ Say It Again / Touchdown Raiders US $3.99 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits by Santana US $3.74 Buy It Now 8h 52m
Supernatural by Santana US $5.24 Buy It Now 8h 52m
Santana Abraxas 8-Track Tape US $2.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM - SANTANA - EVIL WAYS US $0.99 [0 bids]
VINTAGE 45 RPM RECORD COLUMBIA 4-45069 SANTANA WAITING EVIL WAYS 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana Dance of the Rainbow Serpent 3-Disc CD Set EUC US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 29m
Santana,Santana,Quadraphonic pressing,LP US $34.86 Buy It Now 9h 41m
SANTANA BEYOND APPERANCES US $5.35 Buy It Now 9h 42m
Hector Rodas EL SALVADOR Latin PSYCH FUNK Hammond fuzz 45 SANTANA like US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Santana Let the children play 7" SCBS5102 /EX UK US $10.48 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Santana She's not there 7" SCBS5671 VG/EX UK US $10.48 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Santana - Inner Secrets (Remastered) 24HR POST!! US $9.95 Buy It Now 9h 51m
Santana Abraxas Analog Re-Issue A+ Sound! ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $44.00 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Santana Shango Kendun 1982 1st Press ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic CLEAN US $36.00 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Greatest Hits by Santana (CD, Nov-1992, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Santana - Spirits Dancing In The Flesh 24HR POST!! US $7.46 Buy It Now 10h
Santana - Santana New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.07 Buy It Now 10h 7m
Santana Lot of 4 Brightest Star Hold On Stormy 45 RPM 7", Good US $8.00 Buy It Now 10h 9m
John Lee Hooker,The Healer,Robert Grey,Bonnie Rait,Carlos Santana,Canned Heat,LP US $22.40 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Santana - Lotus (Box Set, 2CD) 24HR POST!! US $16.59 Buy It Now 10h 11m
NEIL YOUNG War Song GRAHAM NASH Jorge Santana MALO Thailand THAI 7" EP single PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 12m
SANTANA - COLLECTION NEW CD US $14.34 Buy It Now 10h 20m
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) Promotional CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
CD Santana - Every Day I Have The Blues (Rare Manufactured On Brazil Only ) US $13.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#97153) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 05, 2006

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104731) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco ŕ la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#111635) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 11, 2007

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#122060) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 14, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#866206) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2012

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"