MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning In The Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- David Margen / bass
- Graham Lear / drums
- Armando Peraza / timbales, percussion, backing vocals
- Raul Rekow / congas, percussion, backing vocals

Artwork: John Paul Jones with Carlos Santana (design)

LP Columbia - FC 36154 (1979, US)

CD CBS ‎- CDCBS 86098 (1986, Europe)
CD Sony Music ‎- A 756862 (2009, US) Remastered

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

Audio CD$200.34 (used)
Santana / MarathonSantana / Marathon
Columbia Records
Vinyl$2.93 (used)
SANTANA Marathon FC 36154 Pogo LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ SleeveSANTANA Marathon FC 36154 Pogo LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ Sleeve
byfrm_me
Vinyl$8.63 (used)
Marathon by Santana (1989-07-26)Marathon by Santana (1989-07-26)
Columbia Europe
Marathon: 30th Anniversary Edition by Santana (2009-10-06)Marathon: 30th Anniversary Edition by Santana (2009-10-06)
Friday
Marathon by SantanaMarathon by Santana
Sony Music Entertain
Audio Cassette$53.46
Marathon by ColumbiaMarathon by Columbia
Columbia
Marathon (30th Anniversary Edition) by Friday MusicMarathon (30th Anniversary Edition) by Friday Music
Friday Music; 30th Anniversary Edition edition
Santana - Marathon - CBS - CBS 86098, CBS - FC 36154Santana - Marathon - CBS - CBS 86098, CBS - FC 36154
CBS
Vinyl$25.33 (used)

SANTANA "MARATHON" VINYL LP ORIGINAL 1979 COLUMBIA RECORDS BL 36154 EX USD $13.49 Buy It Now
Santana-Marathon Japan Import LP Complete w/Obi and Insert Near Mint Nice Copy USD $34.98 Buy It Now 19h 59m
SANTANA MARATHON UK 1ST PRESSING 1979 USD $1.26 [1 bids]
Santana Marathon LP CBS 86098 EX/VG 1979 Marathon, USD $12.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Santana: Marathon 8 track tape USD $14.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Marathon by Santana (Vinyl, Aug-2014, Friday Music) USD $22.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Santana LP - Marathon. A1 / B-2. Flawless Playing Order. USD $8.90 Buy It Now 2 days
SANTANA - MARATHON (180 G/GATEFOLD) - VINYL USD $36.94 Buy It Now 2 days
Santana Marathon 1979 LP Mint Vinyl with Wrap USD $5.33 [0 bids]
Marathon Limited Edition by Santana (Vinyl) FREE SHIPPING BRAND NEW USD $34.36 Buy It Now 2 days
Santana-Marathon-Rare Original 1979 poster Ad Framed ready for your wall USD $88.98 Buy It Now 3 days
SANTANA - AQUA MARINE - 1979 7" TAKEN FROM THE "MARATHON" LP IN VERY GOOD + CON USD $1.26 [0 bids]
SANTANA MARATHON CBS/SONY 25AP 1628 Japan OBI Vinyl LP USD $0.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA - MARATHON 1979 LP RECORD ALBUM RARE! COLUMBIA USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Santana - Marathon - with inner -free UK postage USD $16.02 Buy It Now 3 days
SANTANA MARATHON 25A1628 OBI LP Fr6423 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Marathon [30th Anniversary Edition] by Santana (CD, Oct-2009, Friday Music) USD $19.94 Buy It Now 3 days
8 TRACK SANTANA MARATHON **SEALED** 61 USD $11.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana - Marathon - 1979 Vinyl LP Record FC 36154 Near Mint (NM) USD $10.49 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana Marathon MINT 1979 LP 1st press All I Ever Wanted You know I love You USD $6.45 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana Marathon 1979 33 RPM Vinyl Record USD $8.88 Buy It Now 4 days
SANTANA marathon 1979 UK CBS STEREO LP + INNER USD $10.16 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA MARATHON USD $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA MARATHON USD $3.18 [0 bids]
Santana: Marathon 1979 Columbia Records 12'' Vinyl Record USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Santana Marathon FC 36154 Vinyl LP USD $7.19 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA - MARATHON VINYL LP AUSTRALIA USD $7.46 Buy It Now 5 days
Santana ORIG OZ LP Marathon NM '79 Latin Rock Blues Rock Carlos Santana CBNS USD $12.64 Buy It Now 6 days
SANTANA MARATHON cbs 79 A1 B2 Lp ex+ USD $10.16 Buy It Now 6 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP 233 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana "Marathon" USD $15.99 Buy It Now 6 days
SANTANA "Marathon" Original 1979 LP Record Album USD $11.95 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP JAPAN OBI & INSERT 25AP-1628 MINT VINYL USD $89.99 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP OBI INSERT JAPAN 25AP-1628 MINT USD $89.99 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA nr mint vinyl lp MARATHON USD $4.16 [0 bids]
Marathon: 30th Anniversary Edition Santana Audio CD USD $26.25 Buy It Now 7 days
Santana: Marathon (180GV) LP Limited Edition USD $31.64 Buy It Now 8 days
Santana Marathon 25AP 1628 Japan LP Inner Sleeve Insert OBI USD $23.00 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP 33 VINTAGE VINYL RECORD ALBUM BL36154 FC36154 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA 'MARATHON' UK LP USD $10.16 Buy It Now 9 days
Viva Carlos (A Supernatural Marathon Celebration, 2006) Santana Tribute USD $8.88 Buy It Now 9 days
Marathon: 30th Anniversary Edition (Remastered) - Santana Compact Disc USD $19.20 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA Marathon LP 1979 EX+ Cond Vinyl USD $5.18 Buy It Now 9 days
Santana Original Album Classics 5 CD new Inner Secrets Marathon Zebop! Shango USD $18.99 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA "MARATHON" CD NEW+ USD $16.67 Buy It Now 9 days
JAPAN LP SANTANA MARATHON 25AP1628 CBS SONY OBI INSERT USD $26.99 Buy It Now 10 days
SANTANA - Marathon / CASSETTE TAPE!/CBS/ vgc+ USD $5.40 Buy It Now 10 days
VINYL LP Santana - Marathon Columbia FC 36154 shrinkwrap USD $12.99 Buy It Now 10 days
33LP - SANTANA - MARATHON USD $9.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Santana-Marathon LP (Play Graded!) Columbia (PC 36154) (1979) USD $7.00 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA Marathon FC 36154 Pogo LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ Sleeve USD $7.35 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA ~ Marathon ~ VINYL LP USD $7.61 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA MARATHON VINYL LP RECORD 12" W/INNER USD $8.94 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana ?/ Marathon / 25AP 1628 / JAPAN LP promo USD $19.50 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana Marathon Columbia Records 1979 2BC USD $9.95 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana Marathon Columbia Records 1979 BC USD $9.95 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana - Marathon: Lp, Vinyl Records, Free Ship, Al-36154 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 11 days
santana lp marathon pc 36154 vg+/vg+ USD $4.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Santana - Marathon 1979 USA Orig. VG+/E USD $2.99 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA Japan 1979 NM LP+Obi MARATHON USD $29.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Marathon [LP] by Santana (Vinyl, 1979, Columbia) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA - MARATHON - PROMO - JAPAN - JAPANESE- OBI- RARE LP VINYL RECORD-Obie USD $39.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Carlos Santana **MARATHON** Signed and Certified LP Cover GV586158 USD $89.00 Buy It Now 12 days
Marathon [30th Anniversary Edition] by Santana. USD $21.45 Buy It Now 13 days
Marathon by Santana. USD $29.99 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA-Marathon CD NEW USD $14.61 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana - Marathon - Vinyl LP - Excellent Condition USD $2.54 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana - Original Album Classics - Inner Secrets, Marathon, Zebop! (NEW 5 x CD) USD $21.28 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana - Marathon - 1979 Columbia Vinyl LP Record Album VG USD $3.75 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana ? Marathon 25AP 1628 Japan LP Insert Inner Sleeve OBI USD $23.00 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA - MARATHON (REMASTERED/30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION) - CD USD $17.94 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana - Marathon, Inner Secrets, Devadip Oneness, Self Titled 4 LPs USD $29.99 Buy It Now 15 days
TWO LP ALBUMS by Santana: "Inner Secrets" & "Marathon" PRICE REDUCED! USD $9.00 Buy It Now 15 days
SANTANA MARATHON 1979 COLUNBIA 36154 EX/EX USD $6.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Santana : Marathon CD (2000) USD $7.52 Buy It Now 15 days
SANTANA-MARATHON 1979 COLUMBIA RECORDS LP PC 36154 EXC. VG+ STAND UP USD $4.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Vintage Record Album Santana Marathon USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Marathon Santana USD $11.38 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana - Marathon 8 Track Tape Cartridge Columbia TC8 FCA36154 1979 Love Stay USD $7.95 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA-MARATHON (30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION) CD NEW USD $17.39 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA-MARATHON (GATE) (ANIV) (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW USD $31.26 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA - Marathon [Remaster] (NEW CD, 1990, Columbia CK 36154) USD $4.59 Buy It Now 17 days
SANTANA-Marathon UK 11 Track LP A1 B2 Matrix NM Cond USD $12.70 Buy It Now 17 days
SANTANA MARATHON VG+ USD $3.00 Buy It Now 17 days
SANTANA - "MARATHON" LP USD $6.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana Vinyl Record LOT 7 Festival Lotus Moonflower Inner Secrets Marathon MORE USD $44.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana - Marathon 12" LP Vinyl USD $6.99 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA Marathon COLUMBIA VG++/NM- USD $7.70 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA - MARATHON, FC 36154 COLUMBIA LP USD $18.50 Buy It Now 18 days
Santana ?Marathon SEALED USA 1ST PRESS 1979 VINYL LP W/ HYPE STICKER USD $33.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Santana Vinyl LP Columbia Records 1979, FC-36154, Marathon ~VG/Gd/VG USD $5.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Santana Marathon CBS 1979 Vinyl Record Album Lp Ex/Ex USD $12.70 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA MARATHON USA PRESSING 1979 EX-/EX USD $15.00 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA/ LOT OF 2/ SANTANA, SHANGO, AND MARATHON, AL 36154, VINYL-LP-RECORD USD $14.95 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP VINYL 12" RECORD USD $8.94 Buy It Now 19 days
Marathon by Santana (CD, Sep-1986, Columbia (USA)) USD $15.98 Buy It Now 20 days
Santana Marathon Vinyl LP USD $10.00 Buy It Now 20 days
Santana - Marathon 1979 (NM) VINYL 12" LP USD $8.99 Buy It Now 20 days
SANTANA -Marathon -1979 Rock LP w/Org Sleeve VG VINYL Record USD $2.99 Buy It Now 21 days
SANTANA marathon ( rock ) - PROMO - USD $9.99 Buy It Now 21 days

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.
Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"