MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning in the Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- Armando Peraza / Congas, Bongos
- Graham Lear / Drums
- Alex Ligertwood / Vocals
- Chris Solberg / guitar

LP NULL FC 36154 (jan, 1979)
CD NULL CK 36154
CD NULL 25AP 1628 (Japanese)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
Remastered
SupernaturalSupernatural
SBME SPECIAL MKTS. 1999
Santana-1981 magazine advert US $8.27 Buy It Now 52m 20s
pic CARLOS SANTANA - MAHAVISHNU JOHN MCLAIGHLIN - LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER US $20.79 Buy It Now 56m 29s
SANTANA Jam! Live Cedar Going for a song FREE SHIPPING US $20.79 Buy It Now 57m 1s
SANTANA MARATHON cbs 79 A1 B2 Lp ex+ US $13.25 Buy It Now 58m 16s
Santana [Sonoma] [Digipak] by Santana CD NEW CARLOS SANTANA US $1.99 Buy It Now 58m 43s
Jorge Santana, (Original) ( VG++ ) {No Bar Code} US $2.99 [0 bids]
Santana - Abraxas 180g Gatefold Vinyl LP US $43.08 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Santana - Shaman (CD 2003) US $9.12 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Santana Abraxas ORIG clean gatefold +POSTER US $8.00 [1 bids]
Santana - The Original Album (CD 1990) US $9.12 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Borboleeta by Santana (CD, May-1990, Legacy) US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Maria Maria, Santana, Good Single US $4.51 Buy It Now 1h 23m
CARLOS SANTANA 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/7843 US $41.44 Buy It Now 1h 26m
CARLOS SANTANA & BUDDY MILES - EVIL WAYS 7" VINYL US $16.56 Buy It Now 1h 34m
GODARD / EBNER / SANTANA / BENEVOLI / GRANDI - DE PROFUNDIS NEW CD US $23.82 Buy It Now 1h 34m
SANTANA JOHN MCLAUGHLIN love devotion surrender LP VG+ S 69037 Vinyl 1973 Record US $240.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
SANTANA'S GREATEST HITS US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
??? Sample LP August 1981 ALL AMERICAN Top 100 Vol.37 Japan Journey V/A Santana US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
SANTANA "Amigos" orig '76 Columbia LP (gatefold/sleeve/greg walker) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
'78 CUBAN ROCK 12" SANTANA WELL ALL RIGHT long/short ex+ dj promo ? US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
SANTANA SELF TITLED VG++ TO NM- HEAR IT US $13.00 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Santana- Shaman (CD-2002, Arista) ~Latin Rockers ~Hard Rock ~Classic Rock ~ US $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 11m
SANTANA Borboletta UK CBS orange US $16.56 Buy It Now 2h 29m
DEVADIP CARLOS SANTANA the swing of delight 2LP set US $14.90 Buy It Now 2h 30m
CARLOS SANTANA & Buddy Miles LIVE Gatefold + inner +insert CBS UK orange US $16.56 Buy It Now 2h 30m
SANTANA MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER 1973 CBS 1st PRESS LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
CHRIS BROWN FT JUELZ SANTANA run it - CD Single US $9.86 Buy It Now 2h 48m
SANTANA ROB THOMAS maria maria / smooth NEW OLD STOCK 45 RECORD US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Santana Welcome GATEFOLD ORIG EMBOSSED COVER Leon Thomas AWESOME US $8.00 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana - Havana Moon (1990) - Used - Compact Disc US $2.95 Buy It Now 3h 22m
G, Supernatural, Santana, 078221908023, Import US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Greatest Hits by Santana (CD, Nov-1992, Columbia (USA)) US $4.50 Buy It Now 3h 24m
SANTANA JIN GO LO BA CD IN RARE TIN 9 SONGS UNIQUE US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 26m
SANTANA - 1968 San Francisco - limited orange vinyl LP US $36.22 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $4.30 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Santana Inner Secrets LP White Label Promo US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 32m
SANTANA / LOTUS LIVE IN JAPAN ONLY 4 TRACK EP US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Skull Gang - Skull Gang-Feat. Juelz Santana [CD New] US $14.25 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Vintage Santana Music Rock & Roll Patch in Thick Acrylic Display Holder US $18.50 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Vintage Rock: Steppenwolf, Jethro Tull, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, Deep Purple US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
SANTANA FT. CHAD KROEGER - INTO THE NIGHT 2TRK PROMO DJ CD CS122 # US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
SANTANA INNER SECRETS LP WLP WHITE LABEL PROMO (Record) US $6.50 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $0.25 [0 bids]
Perfect Stranger Bonus Sampler Soundtrack CD Toni Braxton Santana Rare OOP New US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $0.25 [0 bids]
Santana Winning/E Papa Re 12" Single "Promo" NM/NM+ Vinyl US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
SANTANA ?- FESTIVÁL FESTIVAL PC 34423 NM VINYL INSERT US $7.79 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Between Good & Evil Santana MUSIC CD US $7.11 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Smooth [US CD/Cassette Single] [Single] by Santana (Cassette, Aug-1999, Arista) US $4.98 Buy It Now 4h 9m
SANTANA LOT Sacred Fire: Santana Live in South America & Supernatural US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Dance of the Rainbow Serpent [Box] by Santana (CD, Oct-1997, 3 Discs, Legacy) US $12.99 [0 bids]
SUNSET LOUNGE ORCHESTRA THE - SANTANA COOL DOWN EXPERIENCE - SCCD1134 US $11.17 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Santana Vinyl lp Moonflower 1st press 1977 double lp VG+ Columbia 34914 12" US $11.49 [0 bids]
Santana Blues for Salvador CD US $3.96 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Rock 45 SANTANA Guajira on Columbia US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Santana Love Devotion Surrender 8 Track Tape TESTED US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Ultimate Santana by Santana (CD, Oct-2007, Arista) US $9.98 [0 bids]
SANTANA Viva Santana! 2-CD 30-Track Best Of Greatest Hits 1969-88 US $6.99 [0 bids]
Jam by Santana (CD, 1999, St. Clair) Made in Canada US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 57m
SANTANA-FESTIVAL 1976 COLUMBIA RECORDS LP PC 34423 EXC. VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h
Juelz Santana Down USDJ US DJ Radio Promo CD Single US $4.99 [0 bids]
Spirits Dancing in the Flesh by Santana (Cassette) US $3.75 Buy It Now 5h 8m
The London Rock Orchestra Plays SANTANA CD Very Rare US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
ALL NEW OFFICIAL MIXTAPE 2014 - Fredo Santana Walking Legend US $10.99 [0 bids]
Santana Nothing At All USDJ US DJ Radio Promo CD Single Feat Musiq US $4.99 [0 bids]
All That I Am by Santana (CD, Nov-2005, Arista) US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Greatest Hits by Santana (Cassette, Nov-1974, Columbia (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $5.25 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Santana - Viva Santana! (2CD 1988) ORIGINAL C2K 44344 COLUMBIA US $13.49 Buy It Now 5h 25m
VINYL LP Santana - Marathon Columbia PC 36154 shrinkwrap US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
VG++ SANTANA SAY IT AGAIN/TOUCHDOWN RAIDERS 1985 45 RPM COLUMBIA 38-04758 US $2.98 Buy It Now 5h 31m
SANTANA - MOONFLOWER - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $24.98 Buy It Now 5h 35m
All That I Am by Santana (CD, Nov-2005, Arista) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Santana's Greatest Hits - 1974 vinyl LP - Columbia "PC 33-050" carlos santana US $6.00 [1 bids]
Santana Abraxas 9 Track Cassette Tape US $11.59 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Carlos Santana - Caravanserai [CD New] US $10.83 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Santana - Abraxas 2010 [CD New] US $10.08 Buy It Now 5h 45m
Santana - Inner Secrets. 1978 UK CBS LP Ex! US $6.61 Buy It Now 5h 45m
SANTANA / FLOR D'LUNA (MOONFLOWER) / 1977 ITALIAN 7" UNIQUE P/S US $8.27 Buy It Now 5h 45m
CARLOS SANTANA/BUDDY MILES Live! CBS Australian Pressing US $14.00 Buy It Now 5h 55m
SANTANA supernatural tour 2000 tour programme - 28 pages US $3.30 [0 bids]
Santana Lp,Self Titled 3Rd Nice Player US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Santana THE WOODSTOCK EXPERIENCE 2CD + bonus poster Limited Edition*New sealed US $21.84 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Santana Maria Maria Cd Single ARISTA 2000 New! Sealed!! US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 4m
The Sensitive Kind by Santana Rock Columbia 1981 near mint US $5.97 [0 bids]
Santana "Santana" US $139.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Santana "Silver Dreams - Golden Reality" US $17.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Santana "Zebop!" US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Santana "Abraxas" (3) US $121.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#97153) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 05, 2006

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104731) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco ŕ la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#111635) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 11, 2007

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#122060) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 14, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#866206) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2012

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"