MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning in the Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- Armando Peraza / Congas, Bongos
- Graham Lear / Drums
- Alex Ligertwood / Vocals
- Chris Solberg / guitar

LP NULL FC 36154 (jan, 1979)
CD NULL CK 36154
CD NULL 25AP 1628 (Japanese)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

SANTANA MARATHON 1979 COLUNBIA 36154 EX/EX USD $6.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA "NM WAX" Marathon 25AP1628 LP Aj2738 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Free S&H Santana Marathon Columbia FC 36154 1979 Excellent USD $8.93 [0 bids]
USD $13.86 Buy It Now
Santana Marathon Mini LP CD JAPAN OBI SICP-2876 / Carlos Santana USD $13.50 [4 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA -MARATHON - NICE LP USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Santana - Marathon - Vinyl LP Record Album USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Santana Marathon 1979 CBS A1 B1 Lightning in the Sky/Aqua Marine EX Vinyl LP USD $16.42 Buy It Now 2 days
Santana Marathon 1ST PRESS!! A1/B2 PLAYS EX!! INNER NICE COPY!! 1979 UK LP USD $7.80 Buy It Now 2 days
SANTANA - MARATHON 1979 LP RECORD ALBUM RARE! COLUMBIA USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SANTANA MARATHON ORIGINAL INNER SLEEVE LP 505 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Santana - Marathon [Vinyl New] USD $32.31 Buy It Now 3 days
Santana - Marathon - with inner -free UK postage USD $19.70 Buy It Now 3 days
1979 CLASSIC ROCK Santana Marathon Vintage Vinyl PSYCHEDELIC LP W/ Orig Inner USD $1.99 [0 bids]
Marathon by Santana (CD, Oct-2000, Columbia (USA)) USD $11.95 Buy It Now 3 days
SANTANA-MARATHON-JAPAN ISSUE MINI LP CD 1103 D99 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LP Santana - Marathon 1979 Holland press EX/EX USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SANTANA Marathon LP 10 Track With Inner But Has Wear To Spine UK Cbs 1979 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 3 days
Carlos Santana : Marathon CD (1990) USD $11.82 Buy It Now 3 days
Santana - Marathon - Vinyl Record Album LP- Columbia # FC 36154 - VG++ USD $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Vinyl Record Album LP Santana Marathon 1979 CBS USD $19.90 Buy It Now 4 days
Marathon by Santana 8 track tape tested USD $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Marathon - Santana (2014, Vinyl New) USD $28.04 Buy It Now 4 days
SANTANA MARATHON SUPER RARE LP ISRAELI USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana Marathon VTG Vinyl LP Classic Rock 1979 Columbia FC 36154 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MINT Hong Kong Edition SANTANA Marathon LP 1979 SONY 25AP1628 w/Inner USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA Marathon, vinyl LP, 1979, VG+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA MARATHON cbs 79 A1 B2 Lp ex+ USD $12.49 Buy It Now 5 days
VINYL LP Santana - Marathon Columbia PC 36154 shrinkwrap USD $12.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana "Marathon" USD $15.99 Buy It Now 6 days
SANTANA Marathon LP W/ Inner Sleeve DNW 2433 SOUTH AFRICA IMPORT USD $32.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana Marathon 1979 1st POGO Press, STEAM CLEANED, Audiophile Sound Quality! USD $17.50 Buy It Now 6 days
SANTANA "Marathon" Original 1979 LP Record Album USD $11.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Marathon - Santana (1986, CD New) CD-R USD $11.25 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana - Marathon [CD New] USD $12.38 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana~Origina OZ LP Marathon VG+ 1979 Latin Rock Blues Rock Carlos Santana USD $11.38 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA - MARATHON [30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION] - NEW CD USD $10.53 Buy It Now 7 days
Carlos Santana Marathon Mexican Edition CD USD $10.99 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA - MARATHON [SANTANA] [CD] [1 DISC] [4547366056631] - NEW CD USD $33.48 Buy It Now 8 days
Santana-Vinyl LP-Marathon-CBS-86098-65-1979-VG/Ex+ USD $11.71 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA (MARATHON) Original 1980s Rock CD - 11 Trax USD $4.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Santana Marathon LP 180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl Anniversary Limited Ed NEW SEALED USD $37.85 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA - MARATHON - NEW CD USD $5.84 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA 'MARATHON' UK LP USD $12.49 Buy It Now 9 days
Santana - Marathon - Rock LP SEALED USD $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA: Marathon LP (FC prefix, inner sleeve, promo stamp obc) Rock USD $12.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Santana "Marathon" LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 10 days
SANTANA LP "Marathon" NEW SEALED 1979 RECORD 33 PC13654 AQUA MARINE LOVE STAY USD $34.88 Buy It Now 10 days
Marathon by Santana (CD, Sep-1986, Columbia (USA)) USD $14.95 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana LP Vinyl Record Lot/Collection Abraxas Marathon Borboletta Inner Secrets USD $45.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana - Marathon - LP Record VG+ VG+ USD $6.99 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA Marathon LP USD $8.16 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana Marathon Columbia Records 1979 2BC USD $9.95 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana Marathon Columbia Records 1979 BC USD $9.95 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP 12" RECORD w/INNER USD $8.15 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana - Marathon - 180g Audiophile Vinyl LP Record from Friday Music NEW 2014 USD $33.56 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana-Marathon-Columbia 36154 Lp USD $7.95 Buy It Now 11 days
(4) SANTANA LPs - ZEBOP - MARATHON- HAVANA MOON and APPEARANCES USD $7.00 Buy It Now 12 days
New Marathon Mlps Limited Edition Original Recording Remastered Santana Japan USD $45.99 Buy It Now 12 days
santana lp marathon pc 36154 vg+/vg+ USD $4.99 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA - MARATHON [SANTANA] [CD] [1 DISC] [074643615426] - NEW CD USD $11.94 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA Japan 1979 NM LP+Obi MARATHON USD $29.99 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA 8 TRACK TAPE Marathon You Know What I Love - Stand Up Brand-New! Rare! USD $9.99 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA "MARATHON" 1979 COLUMBIA 36154 ORIG INNER GARAGE ROCK LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 12 days
1979 - SANTANA - Marathon - Press Advertisment - Poster Size USD $14.06 Buy It Now 12 days
Santana Marathon vinyl album LP. RARE PRINTED INNER SLEEVE EUC USD $7.31 Buy It Now 12 days
Marathon - Santana (2010, CD New) USD $21.46 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA: MARATHON - VINLY LP (COLUMBIA FC 36154) 1ST US PRESSING! USD $14.95 Buy It Now 12 days
Santana - Marathon (1979) Vinyl Record USD $9.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon - Vinyl Record Album LP- Columbia # FC 36154(LP-33 RPM) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA LP "Marathon" STILL SEALED 1979 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA - Marathon LP (1st US Pressing on COLUMBIA) USD $23.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon [CD New] USD $36.46 Buy It Now 14 days
Marathon (Remastered) - Santana (2007, CD New) USD $8.77 Buy It Now 14 days
Marathon by Santana (CD, Sep-1986, Columbia (USA)) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA MARATHON VINYL LP Album Australia issue SBP237362 USD $11.41 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA Marathon w/LYRIC SLEEVE 1979 CBS LP Album in VG+(No Skips) USD $1.95 Buy It Now 14 days
Marathon: 30th Anniversary Edition (Remastered) - Santana New & Sealed Compact D USD $18.40 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana - Marathon, Inner Secrets, Devadip Oneness, Self Titled 4 LPs USD $29.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Vinyl Record: Santana - Marathon album (1979) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Carlos Santana LP MARATHON 36154 col. stereo / hard times stand up - runnin USD $3.90 Buy It Now 15 days
Santana Marathon Original Sleeve USD $10.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Santana Marathon Vinyl LP Record Album USD $6.99 Buy It Now 15 days
SANTANA marathon nm USD $9.79 Buy It Now 15 days
Santana Marathon POGO Press, Excellent, CLEAN, Excellent Sound Quality! USD $7.99 Buy It Now 15 days
SANTANA: Marathon LP (FC prefix, inner sleeve, promo stamp obc) Rock USD $11.99 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA - MARATHON NEW CD USD $16.17 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA LP-MARATHON/COLUMBIA RECORDS, 1979 VG++ USD $9.98 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA " Marathon " Japan Press JP LP 25AP 1628 USD $14.95 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA ~ Marathon ~ VINYL LP USD $15.62 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA-Marathon UK 11 Track LP A1 B2 Matrix NM Cond USD $15.62 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA- MARATHON VINYL ALBUM USD $4.68 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana Marathon Vinyl LP Album A1 B1 Pressing - Excellent. USD $15.56 Buy It Now 17 days
SANTANA MARATHON ORIGINAL RECORD ALBUM LP USD $12.99 Buy It Now 17 days
LP abraxas ~ USD $22.58
LP caravanserai ~ USD $22.58
LP moonflower ~ USD $26.68
CD mother earth ~ USD $10.07
CD rynearson stadium 1975 ~ USD $8.67
LP santana ~ USD $21.71
LP shape shifter ~ USD $25.93

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#97153) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 05, 2006

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104731) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#111635) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 11, 2007

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#122060) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 14, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#866206) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2012

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"