MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning in the Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- Armando Peraza / Congas, Bongos
- Graham Lear / Drums
- Alex Ligertwood / Vocals
- Chris Solberg / guitar

LP NULL FC 36154 (jan, 1979)
CD NULL CK 36154
CD NULL 25AP 1628 (Japanese)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
Sbme Special Mkts. 1998
SupernaturalSupernatural
SBME SPECIAL MKTS. 1999
1978 SANTANA Stormy/Move On 45 COLUMBIA RECORDS US $9.99 Buy It Now 32m 19s
SANTANA Carlos Latin Rhythms & Blues CD Hallmark jams Everyday I Have the Blues US $9.95 Buy It Now 35m 58s
Santana - S/t New Gold Disc LP Vinyl ASP-1006 US $5.99 Buy It Now 36m 25s
SANTANA She's Not There PICTURE SLEEVE 7" 45 record + juke box title strip RARE! US $11.67 Buy It Now 38m 31s
Santana Ultimate Santana CD Arista Records 2007 GREAT MUSIC US $0.99 [0 bids]
41m 24s
SANTANA - EVIL WAYS!! NEW!! NR! US $1.50 Buy It Now 42m 51s
SANTANA SHANGO JAPAN VINYL OBI EXCELLENT US $19.00 Buy It Now 49m 45s
SANTANA - Supernatural - 1999 - CD - UPC 0 7822-19080-2 3 - 13 Tracks US $1.99 [0 bids]
50m 1s
SANTANA spirits dancing in the flesh LP 10 track with inner (4669131) dutch cbs US $16.68 Buy It Now 52m 52s
SANTANA 8 TITLE (8 CD) SET LOT COLLECTION (W/JEWEL CASES) GUITAR ROCK LIKE NEW US $14.07 [13 bids]
53m 20s
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $4.99 [0 bids]
59m 1s
JUELZ SANTANA BASS CHECK/MIC CHECK/SANTANA TOWN 12" SS! US $7.99 Buy It Now 59m 19s
Supernatural [Legacy Edition] by Santana (CD, Feb-2010, 2 Discs, Arista) US $8.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA'S GREATEST HITS *USA Print* US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
1982 SANTANA Hold On WHITE LABEL PROMO 45 SINGLE COLUMBIA US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Beyond Appearances by Santana (CD, Columbia) US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE ESSENTIAL SANTANA (CD 2002) - 2 CD Set, 33 Songs US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Carlos Santana - Divine Light (Reconstruction & Mix Translation Bill LASWELL CD US $9.82 Buy It Now 1h 17m
SANTANA INCREDIBLE! ABRAXAS ALBUM! WITH BEAUTIFUL! LARGE 3' X 2' ORIGINAL POSTER US $9.98 [0 bids]
Jon-Go-Lo-Ba by Carlos Santana CD 1995 US $1.00 [0 bids]
Santana - Supernatural CD US $1.00 [0 bids]
Santana Shape Shifter Vinyl LP NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA / SHANGO ~ 1982 Columbia Album ~ NEW MINT ~ SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $0.99 [0 bids]
2 Santana LPs "Zebop" sealedNEW+ "Festival" Carlos Santana US $11.02 [0 bids]
pic 3 cd box VARIOUS ROCK MESSAGES Clapton Page Hendrix Burdon Santana Canned H US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
ITALY JUKE BOX PROMO SANTANA life is a lady CHERYL LYNN US $43.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
SANTANA AMIGOS Gatefold Columbia 33576 Vinyl LP US $8.98 Buy It Now 1h 53m
DEVADIP CARLOS SANTANA THE SWING OF DELIGHT C2-36590 2 LP'S US $7.99 [0 bids]
CD SANTANA Greatest Hits CANADA MINT US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Carlos Santana - Blues for Salvador (CD, Jan-1987, Columbia (USA)) US $4.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA: Inner Secrets (LP, 1978) Very Good+ US $5.50 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Santana Evil Ways CD LaserLight US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Santana - Legendary First Release - Cassette - Tested & Guaranteed!! US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Santana between good and evil new sealed US $6.99 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, 1999, Arista) Dave Matthews Eric Clapton (Rock) VGC US $0.75 [0 bids]
Santana Definitive Collection CD US $8.03 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Supernatural by Santana Arista CD Eric Clapton Wyclef Jean US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
SANTANA'S GREATEST HITS CD - MINT DISC - EVIL WAYS, BLACK MAGIC WOMAN MORE US $2.25 [3 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA Havana Moon SHRINK 1983 COLUMBIA w/orig slv EX/EX LP Record US $11.04 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 50m
SANTANA Santana Abraxas 25AP814 LP AF4144 US $4.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA ZEBOP HALF-SPEED MASTERED RECORD ALBUM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $0.99 [0 bids]
3h
SANTANA - Caravanserai (Import LP, 1972) Made in England NEAR MINT US $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m
! SANTANA EP PS JAPAN EUROPA,SHE'S NOT THERE F316 US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Santana Corazon Deluxe Edition CD+DVD New Nuevo sealed US $18.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
SANTANA MOONFLOWER COLUMBIA LATIN SOUL 2-LP SET US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
"Classic Rock" "Santana" "Greatest Hits" "Rare LP" US $9.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA AMIGOS COLUMBIA LATIN SOUL LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Santana - Zebop - 12" LP US $1.00 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $0.99 [1 bids]
TWO 8 TRACK TAPES OF SANTANA IN STEREO INCLUDING ABRAXAS. US $9.02 [0 bids]
All That I Am by Santana (CD, Nov-2005, Arista) US $1.25 [0 bids]
Best, Carlos Santana, CD, 1991 Europa, Moon Flower, Jingo, IMPORT KCTA SINGAPORE US $3.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA SUPERNATURAL (CD) US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Santana Black Magic Woman CD US $6.24 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Santana . Beyond Appearances . used CD . 1985 Sony Japan . will ship world wide US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 51m
SANTANA - SAY IT AGAIN / TOUCHDOWN RAIDERS INSTR. 45 RECORD US $2.00 [0 bids]
SANTANA SELF TITLED SANTANA ORIGINAL LP STILL IN SHRINK US $225.00 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Awesome 6 CD lot Santana - Guitar Rock Blues Live Early Magic Amigos Best Of US $6.99 [1 bids]
SANTANA - MANDELA / VERACRUZ 45 RECORD US $2.00 [0 bids]
SANTANA all that I am CD 2005 ARISTA NEW US $4.50 Buy It Now 3h 57m
SANTANA - ZULU / SHE'S NOT THERE 45 RECORD US $2.00 [0 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER VINYL LP US $3.00 [0 bids]
Santana-Santana III-Columbia KC 30595 US $5.00 [0 bids]
Platinum by Santana (CD, Sep-2007, 3 Discs, Madacy Distribution) US $8.28 Buy It Now 4h 8m
2 Santana CDs: Abraxas & Supernatural. Great price for 2 fantasic works! US $3.99 [0 bids]
santana lp greatest hits jc 33050 w/inner vg+/vg++ US $4.49 Buy It Now 4h 12m
3 CD lot Santana Greatest Hits Abraxas Supernatural Cool Guitar Jazz Rock US $3.50 [0 bids]
Santana - Shapeshifter Sampler 5 tracks - 2012 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $9.98 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Santana Caravanserai 12" Record Album LP VG + US $9.98 Buy It Now 4h 33m
HARD ROCK ESS 60s TROGGS traffic SANTANA allman br TAPE US $3.88 [0 bids]
SANTANA 45 RPM RECORD US $1.00 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana & Jeff Beck Reunion Live in Karuizawa June 1st 1986 SBC028 1992 US $6.49 [2 bids]
Santana Welcome 2003 Sony/Japan MHCP2030 OOP Rare Bonus Song Carlos Santana US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
MARIACHI SANTANA: The Hottest Mariachi In Mexico (latin vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 59m
World of-Acapulco sunrise, Santana, Excellent742304021922 US $1.62 Buy It Now 5h 3m
SMOOTH FEAT. ROB THOMAS Santana CD Single US $8.94 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Chris Brown Sample Australian CD Single - Run It! Featuring Juelz Santana. US $1.66 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Chris Sheppard presents GROOVE STATION 6 2000 CD (18 tracks) Sealed TLC Santana US $4.95 [0 bids]
Tour Of Duty The Best Of Soundtrack CD Ft Steppenwolf Canned Heat Santana Small US $12.12 Buy It Now 5h 11m
1978 CLASSIC ROCK Santana Inner Secrets Vintage Vinyl FUNKY POP LP US $2.99 [0 bids]
5 CDG DISCS KARAOKE LOT 1950'S-1970'S CLASSIC ROCK OLDIES HITS CD+G - SANTANA h US $14.99 [0 bids]
Santana's Greatest Hits Vinyl LP - VG+ NICE! Oye Como Va Black Magic Woman US $4.99 [0 bids]
NEW Axe Gods: Rocks Greatest Guitarists CD Jan-1995 Ted Nugent Joe Walsh Santana US $8.99 [0 bids]
CD sampler BONNIE RAITT temper trap YUNA gazarek SANTANA bodeans HARDCASTLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
Shaman [Bonus Track] by Santana (CD, Oct-2002, Arista) New US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
45 SANTANA ~ NOWHERE TO RUN / NUEVA YORK -- '82 US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 40m
JORGE SANTANA: It's All About Love LP Soul US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Maria Maria, Santana, Good743217693725 US $1.62 Buy It Now 6h 4m
SANTANA 8 TRACK TAPE ABRAXAS ALBUM. GREAT CLASSIC SONGS! US $7.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA Self Titled Debut Album 1st Press 1969 Columbia CS 9781 Stereo 9 Tracks US $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Shape Shifter by Santana (CD, May-2012, Sony Music Made in Colombia) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Essential Santana - Santana US $13.05 Buy It Now 6h 49m
ULTIMATE SANTANA (BONUS TRACK) (JAPANESE IMPORT) - NEW CD US $26.11 Buy It Now 6h 54m
SANTANA WELCOME Columbia LP 783 Original Pressing New Condition US $7.00 [0 bids]
Salsoso LPS-1024 Elias Santana Y Su Orquesta - El Ciclon del Caribe 1990 12" US $19.97 [0 bids]
Forever Gold [Single Disc] by Santana (CD, Jan-2000, St. Clair) SEALED NEW US $4.74 Buy It Now 7h 11m

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#97153) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 05, 2006

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104731) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco Ó la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#111635) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 11, 2007

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#122060) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 14, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#866206) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2012

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"