THE WHITE LADIES

- Hans Jacobse / additional keyboards
- Hetty Smit / vocals
- Harry Schafer / narrato

LP RCA 21815 (1976)
LP Vertigo 6360855 (1976)
CD Musea FGBG 4189.AR (2001)

and to Agemo for the last updates

TRACE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRACE The White Ladies Music

Trace by Son Volt (CD, 1995, Warner Bros.) US $11.69 Buy It Now 41m 23s
LOT of 3 CD's TRACE ADKINS Cowboy's DARIUS RUCKER Learn KEITH URBAN Get Closer US $11.00 [0 bids]
2h
Cowboy's Back in Town by Trace Adkins (CD, Aug-2010, Show Dog Nashville) US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRACE ADKINS - 10 GREAT SONGS NEW CD US $11.61 Buy It Now 4h 46m
TRACE ST RARE OOP JAPAN MINI-LP CD US $34.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
TRACE BIRDS RARE OOP JAPAN MINI-LP CD US $59.99 Buy It Now 6h 8m
TRACE BIRDS RARE OOP JAPAN PROMO EMPTY BOX US $54.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
TRACE ADKINS - KING'S GIFT NEW CD US $20.59 Buy It Now 7h 16m
Trace Adkins : X CD (2009) US $11.40 Buy It Now 7h 28m
TRACE ADKINS - X NEW CD US $8.74 Buy It Now 8h 56m
Chrome by Trace Adkins (CD, Oct-2001, Capitol) US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRACE BALIN - Out Of Blue - Christian Music Pop Rock CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 22m
Trace Adkins- More-Press Kit US $6.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
retro magazine advert 1991 TRACE ACOUSTIC US $11.25 Buy It Now 10h 14m
Greatest Hits Collection, Vol. 1 by Trace Adkins (CD, Jul-2003, Capitol/EMI... US $5.00 [0 bids]
Artificial Memory Trace - Ama_Zone 1:Black Waters CD (2011) Goth / Industrial US $3.22 [1 bids]
TRACE ELLIOT AMPLIFIERS-Lot of 2 magazine adverts US $4.81 Buy It Now 12h 35m
Al Trace Orch. Brush Those Tears From Your Eyes VG++/Little Lost Angel VG++ 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Greatest Hits Collection Volume 1 - Trace Adkins New & Sealed CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 4m
Al Trace 45 Mexicali Rose / I Wish You All the Luck in the World record 7" vinyl US $2.50 Buy It Now 13h 15m
SYLVIE - AN ELECTRIC TRACE - NEW CD US $11.40 Buy It Now 14h 2m
Chrome by Trace Adkins (CD, Oct-2001, Capitol) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Icon - Adkins,Trace New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $20.07 Buy It Now 16h 30m
AL TRACE + LOLA AMECHE - PRETTY EYED BABY // THATS THE ONE FOR ME - MERCURY VG US $3.30 Buy It Now 16h 37m
Trace Adkins *Sealed!*Big Time* original recording US $5.99 Buy It Now 16h 46m
More... by Trace Adkins (CD, Nov-1999, Capitol) US $5.00 Buy It Now 17h 26m
Rare PAT BENATAR Coxon's Army TRACE RECORDS 1974 original mint still sealed US $349.99 [0 bids]
SON VOLT Trace CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRACE ADKINS - CHROME - PROMO-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRACE ADKINS 634-5789 / no think thing NEW OLD STOCK RECORD 45 US $15.00 Buy It Now 20h 49m
American Man: Greatest Hits, Vol. II by Trace Adkins (CD, Dec-2007, Liberty... US $8.99 Buy It Now 20h 54m
Pickin on Trace Adkins Pickin on Trace Adkins: Bluegrass Tribut CD US $6.97 Buy It Now 21h 14m
Trace Balin Out of the Blue Single VG Christian CD 3DayShip-Addl Discs Ship Free US $8.90 Buy It Now 22h 10m
Chrome by Trace Adkins (Cassette, Oct-2001, Capitol) NEW US $16.99 Buy It Now 23h 25m
Dreamin' Out Loud by Trace Adkins (CD, Jun-1996, Capitol) FREE SHIPPING US $8.00 Buy It Now 23h 26m
TRACE self titled Birds The white ladies PROMO EMPTY BOX JAPAN MINI LP CD US $83.32 Buy It Now 23h 46m
Trace Adkins - Dangerous Man 2006 CD with Limited Edition Bonus DVD US $3.00 [0 bids]
Trace Adkins 45 Don't Lie / All Hat No Cattle rpm record 7" vinyl US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TRACE ADKINS**DANGEROUS MAN**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
TRACE BALIN Champions 1988 CD RARE US $14.95 Buy It Now 1 day
TRACE BALIN Here And Now 1989 CD RARE US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
TRACE BALIN Out Of The Blue 1991 CD RARE PHIL MADEIRA MICHAEL GLEASON US $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
TRACE ADKINS**COMIN ON STRONG**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
New CD -TRACE ADKINS - COMIN' ON STRONG US $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Trace Bundy - Few Songs For Christmas [CD New] US $7.57 Buy It Now 1 day
TRACE ADKINS-X (TEN)-12 TRACK CD-BRAND NEW-AUSTRALIA-2008 US $10.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Trace Adkins - Icon [CD New] US $11.70 Buy It Now 1 day
Proud To Be Here [8/2] * by Trace Adkins (CD, Aug-20... US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
cd's; Kathy Mattea, Travis Tritt, Trace Atkins US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Big Time by Trace Adkins (CD, Oct-1997, Capitol) US $4.25 [0 bids]
Trace Adkins : Chrome CD (2001) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Dreamin' Out Loud by Trace Adkins (Cassette, Jun-1996, LCT) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot of 3 Trace Adkins CD's Box 27 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VINTAGE BROOKS & DUNN ELECTRIC RODEO SHIRT TRACE ADKINS GEORGE STRAIGHT ALABAMA US $9.99 [1 bids]
Trace Adkins Lot CD's US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Fools Gold : Leave No Trace CD (2011) US $7.47 Buy It Now 1 day
SOUL ASYLUM DUTCH 1993 CD Single WITHOUT A TRACE Unplugged trax SEALED US $4.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Slow Skate - Trace the Lines (CD 2008) US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THIS IS RACING COUNTRY-Chris Ledoux/STEVE WARINER/Charlie Daniels/TRACE ADKINS US $8.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Jessica Bailiff ?- Hour Of The Trace CD US $3.20 [0 bids]
Big Time by Trace Adkins (CD, Oct-1997, Capitol) US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jazz Pop 45 Al Trace - You'Re Everybody'S Sweetheart / The Old Organ Grinder On US $4.99 [0 bids]
American Man: Greatest Hits, Vol. II by Trace Adkins (CD, Dec-2007, Liberty... US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Love Will - Adkins,Trace US $7.30 Buy It Now 1 day
TRACE ADKINS - COWBOY'S BACK IN TOWN - Country Music CD US $5.00 [0 bids]
TRACE BUNDY - FEW SONGS FOR CHRISTMAS NEW CD US $10.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Comin on Strong - Trace Adkins New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $17.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Trace Adkins Chrome CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 1 day
10 Great Songs - Trace Adkins New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $15.05 Buy It Now 1 day
TRACE ADKINS i left something on at home / i can only love you like a man 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(668H) We Are Trees, Piece of Plastic / Trace - DJ CD US $3.94 Buy It Now 1 day
GREAT AND LADY SOUL trace the line 12" 3 trk 12 extended mix b/w 7" radio mix an US $8.44 Buy It Now 1 day
B. B. KING LOnely Nights The World Of 1992 Holland Trace CD 9 Track Blues Music US $7.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Cowboy's Back in Town by Trace Adkins (CD, Aug-2010, Show Dog Nashville) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Trace Of Time 0011661605329, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $24.44 Buy It Now 1 day
JUKEBOX HITS COUNTRY 2002, ALAN JACKSON, BRAD PAISLEY, SHE DAISY, TRACE ADKINS, US $0.99 [0 bids]
JUKEBOX HITS COUNTRY 2005 VOL.2 KEITH TOBY, ALAN JACKSON, TRACE ADKINS AND MORE US $0.99 [0 bids]
Trace by Died Pretty (CD, Feb-1994, Columbia (USA)) Aussie Rock 1 CENT CD US $0.01 [0 bids]
JUKEBOX HITS COUNTRY 2002, ALAN JACKSON, BRAD PAISLEY, SHE DAISY, TRACE ADKINS, US $1.00 [0 bids]
JUKEBOX HITS COUNTRY 2005 VOL.2 KEITH TOBY, ALAN JACKSON, TRACE ADKINS AND MORE US $1.00 [0 bids]
Dreamin' Out Loud by Trace Adkins (CD, Jun-1996, Capitol) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Songs About Me by Trace Adkins (CD, Mar-2005, Capitol Nashville) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Big Time by Trace Adkins (Excellent) BMG (CD, Oct-1997, Capitol) US $2.98 [0 bids]
LOT OF 3 TRACE ADKINS CDS US $0.99 [0 bids]
JAIRO: La Trace De Mes Pas (vinyl LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HARVEY*HEART OF ICE*A TRACE OF HEARTACHE*1964*COLUMBIA*EX+ US $6.44 Buy It Now 1 day
More... by Trace Adkins (CD, Nov-1999, Capitol) US $1.75 [0 bids]
CD: TRACE ADKINS - Dreamin' Out Loud (1996) US $2.49 [0 bids]
Cowboy's Back in Town - Trace Adkins New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $15.13 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot of 10 COUNTRY MUSIC CASSETTES Trace Adkins Mavericks Tritt Tippin Lonestar + US $9.99 [0 bids]
Big Time by Trace Adkins (CD, Oct-1997, Capitol) US $1.99 [0 bids]
TRACE ADKINS - GREATEST HITS COLLECTION 1 NEW CD US $15.92 Buy It Now 2 days
TRACE ADKINS, COMIN' ON STRONG. NEW. FREE SHIPPING! US $5.99 [0 bids]
Trace Martin, We'll Be Dancin' On The Moon / That Stranger Used To Be My Girl US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRACE ADKINS**20TH CENTURY MASTERS: MILLENNIUM COLLECTION**CD US $5.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Trace Adkins Dangerous Man CD RARE DVD EXTRA RARE US $4.00 [0 bids]
TRACE - RICK VAN DER LINDEN - ORIGINAL PROG PSYCH SYNTH VERTIGO LP - 1975 US $24.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Comin' on Strong, Adkins, Trace, Good US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
TRACE Trace US RARE Promo LP Sire 1974 Rick Van Der Linden WLP ! Free Shipping ! US $29.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Trace Adkins - King's Gift [Vinyl New] US $21.48 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy TRACE music online Buy TRACE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRACE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRACE The White Ladies ratings distribution

TRACE The White Ladies reviews

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Lost, elaborate conceptual gem

I was flabbergasted to see that not a single Collab had written about this symphonic gem yet. This is a charming and very ambitious storybook prog album that is immaculately assembled with great sound and superb performances. Nineteen short tracks tell the story of the "White Ladies" with a rich grandiosity that classic European symphonic was famous for, and yet it embraces good melody and appropriate storytelling rather than going for bombast of ELP. The closest comparison might be something like Triumvirat's "Sparticus" album. The emphasis is on the music, the story, and a certain amount of folksy charm comes through because of the approach. Oh there's still plenty of complexity and hot playing but rarely at the expense of the album's mission. Trace had lost key members after the previous album and Rick van Der Linden was eager for a change, to bring in more musicians and shift the direction to a more nuanced blend of rock, jazz, and classical. He ended up picking up past members of Ekseption and even a second keyboardist so that he could experiment with "multiple musical exchanges, sounds, and themes." With a great new line-up in place he was walking alone on a foggy night when he thought of an old folk tale about the White Ladies from the Dutch province of Gelderland in the middle ages. The story is about a farmer's wife who is tricked by spirit figures from the hills to leave her family and live the carefree gypsy-like lifestyle and his attempt to get her back.

This music is intentionally slower and more serene than previous Trace albums, which was not well received by all of their fans, many of whom preferred the flashy keyboard whiz Rick instead. This album almost seems to aim more for fans of painstakingly crafted smoothness like "The Snow Goose" where romantic themes recur and take their time. There are some vocals and narration and yet the album is still largely instrumental. Rick uses moog, piano, other synths and the clavinet with total control. Dekker and Leeuwe present an equally disciplined rhythm section but the bass especially is often quite up front and enjoyable. "Back Home" even throws in some outstanding saxophone work courtesy of Dick Remelink. There is very little guitar which is a bit disappointing to me as I think it could have added even more to the mix. So should you check out the White Ladies? Well think of it like this. If you need a harder edge to your prog you can pass on this one. However, if you love something like The Snow Goose, and can envision it with less lead guitar and more prominent flowery keyboards, they you definitely need to check this one out. It just might deliver that slightly mystical and whimsical classical prog experience from the heart of the '70s. Personally, I very much enjoy and appreciate this charming, well-made album but not quite enough to award the big 4th star. The Musea reissue features good sound quality and an excellent bio of the time period. 7/10

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#172088) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 24, 2008

Review by Cesar Inca
3 stars Surely there was a reason why Rick van der Linden stated this album as one of his plus Trace instead of a full-swing Trace album per se (as were the other two albums): most likely, the reason was that he embraced the project of this concept album as a solo endeavor and, while arranging and producing the written material, he found himself a part of a collective effort instead of being the creator of a proper solo album. This is my speculation and I accept I could be totally ignorant about the historical facts surrounding "The White Ladies". But, focusing on the album itself, I must acknowledge that I label it as the less strong compositionally of the Trace repertoire. Lacking the energy of the debut album and the graceful dynamics of "Birds", one could say that the best hopes for "The White Ladies" to become a good prog album should lie on the level of achievement of that sort of grandiosity that is expected from a concept- album. Grandiose this album is, so it is artistically successful in its own terms. Ven der Linden's adequate vision of the use of orchestral ornaments and backgrounds for most of the pieces comprised in "The White Ladies" makes the whole endeavor worth praising, even if it fails to match the symphonic excellence of prior works. Pieces such as 'Confrontation', 'Dance of the White Ladies' and 'Witches' Dance' manage to portray a catchy approach to the exact standard of symphonic prog, while the lovely adaptation of Beethoven's 'Pathétique' and the even lovelier Ven der Linde-penned 'Meditation' stand out as moving compositions, both filled with an exquisitely romantic vibe. Other romantic-oriented pieces such as 'Doubts', 'Surrender' and 'Conclusion' do not reach the same level of emotional drive, but they work OK as continuations of the album's overall concept. I have the feeling that the 'Conclusion' isn't worked on to its full potential, since the melodic basis hints at the story's sad end quite appropriately, but the final arrangement only states a portion of the dramatic atmosphere. There is another Beethoven adaptation here - 'The Rescue', which happens to be a bizarre yet effective refurbishment of chamber music in a funky-driven symphonic framework. 'Back Home' stays somewhere between the joyful and the melancholic: it has a nice motif going on, but I don't find it completely elaborated either. Conclusion: I find "The White Ladies" a very good symphonic prog album. More pleasant than brilliant, not equalling the beauty of other Van der Linden's works, but still, worth having in your prog collection.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#236992) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 03, 2009

Review by Gatot
4 stars Hi hello ...! I have been so long not writing any review and this time I have a strong reason to write regardless my tight schedule. Well yeah....it's about the music that colored my world when I was a teenager and I was so eager with prog and rock music at that time. It was triggered by a an event we called it as ProgRing (progressive gathering) which already the fifth recently conducted in Jakarta. A friend of mine (a proghead, of course) by the name of Yuddi brought me a CD of this legendary album by TRACE. Why do I call it legendary? It was part of the prog music that I listened to in the seventies where all of my collection was in the form of cassette. Unfortunately my cassette was not in quite good quality so that I could only grab 70% (approximately) of the whole album content. But one thing for sure, there was one song that was very popular at that time in my country: "Confrontation" .... oh man what a fabulous and wonderfully crafted song this one is! I have been searching so long to find the CD and only recently I found my friend Yuddi brought it to me. Once I reached home I played the CD repeatedly and until now I am still playing it as I really want to fulfill what has been missing so far with one of my favorite vintage prog rock album. Thanks a lot Bro Yuddi for giving me a chance to return back to the glory days of prog rock in the seventies, the time when I rode my bicycle wherever I go. And now I still ride a bicycle ? that means I have no progress in equipping myself with better, state-of-the-art vehicle as a transportation means.

Excellent Concept

By that time I was quite familiar with the Dutch's EKSEPTION fame where Rick van der Linden was one of the key forces in the band. Mid seventies was the time when Rick career was at his peak. The fact that his name was put separate from the name of TRACE gave us a signal that this album was personally driven by Rick van Der Linden who is a maestro in keyboard playing. The story was actually adopted from the Dutch' medieval age story about ghosts called "The White Ladies" which were described as driving whomever being kept by the ladies someone will dance forever throughout walks of life, forgetting about the world. It's quite a fascinating story.

I always consider this album comprises two long songs, actually, that were put on two sides of the LP; in every song there are many movements like in the classical music. Rick is basically a classical music influenced musician whereby in this album he refers on Beethoven's. I always listen to this album in its entirety because I do not want to lose the context of the concept album; it's like watching a movie, how can you stop in the middle?

Musically, this is an excellent album as the composition is strong in five major components that I usually look for in any prog album. Melody-wise, I can bet that most of you would like this album as most movements have their beauties in the melody side. On harmony, even though the music is predominantly comprising inventive keyboard-work, the combined instrument work is excellent too. I can notice the bass playing is really excellent, played by Cor Dekker. The music flows beautifully from soft piano work at the opening track followed by a very good narration that sets the overall tone of the story. As "Confrontation" is my long-time ever favourite, I find "Doubts" (which later came into the Ekseption's 78 album) is very interesting as well. The Hammond organ work reminds me to Procol Harum .... it's really nice. Even though the music is not that complex, overall, but there are many tempo changes throughout the movements and sometimes there are elements of jazz inserted also, like those after "Doubts". On the last mark, i.e. the structural integrity I find this album is excellent as well. The whole movements in the album form a cohesive whole. While listening to the album I am imagining if the plot has ever been made in the form of the drama where there are many parts with dance style.

It's classic, it's legendary, and ?it's excellent!

Overall, you should not miss this album because of the music and also the history whereby this album was one of the legendary concept albums like you find with Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" or Yes "Tales from Topographic Ocean" or Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick" and other prog concept albums. You must have a copy of this album if you really want to know the complete history of progressive music. Keep on proggin' .. JRENG!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#276062) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 03, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars Trace's swansong was a concept album about a farmer's wife who is spirited away from her home by the spectral White Ladies of the title to live a wild and carefree life with them. Her husband considers her to have been abducted, and sets off to rescue her, but even once she is brought home she eventually decides to leave to join the White Ladies again, though it is unclear whether this was really her choice.

The story, as outlined above, is communicated in a rather heavy-handed way at the start of each side of the album, with Legend Part 1 and Legend Part 2 consisting of Harry Schafer's rather monotonous narration over the band's playing, leaving the rest of each side to consist of mostly-instrumental keyboard showboating on the part of band leader Rick van der Linden. Hetty Smit's vocals at one point on the album are a high point for me, but on the whole the album doesn't quite manage to hold my attention all the way through. It's on a par with the other Trace albums really - a great pick if you want an album based around showing off van der Linden's keyboard skills, but I don't personally feel it holds up to repeated listens.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#551510) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 16, 2011

2 stars White Ladies, a great album which is just not for me... This album is a concept album, with tracks following one another, a concept similar to Nektar's Journey to the Center of the Eye, but I have to say, Trace's White Ladies does not compare to Journey to the Center of the Eye.... I like ... (read more)

Report this review (#229876) | Posted by The Runaway | Tuesday, August 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of the more classic album of progressive rock. If the story narrated is not good, the music is very classical with piano, keyboards, clavicorn and a good drums in all parts. It's a orquestral in some parts, a fusion jazz in anothers, and the final result is for me, the best album of this D ... (read more)

Report this review (#186978) | Posted by João Paulo | Sunday, October 26, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is the third and last release of the Dutch band TRACE. Although the band's name is TRACE, the line-up resembles EKSEPTION much more than TRACE (with Peter de LEEUWE on drums, Cor DEKKER on bass, Dick REMELINK on sax, all three former members of the old EKSEPTION). As such, it sounds ... (read more)

Report this review (#7325) | Posted by | Sunday, September 26, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Excellent release from this exceptional band. The keyboard combinations, arrangements and solos are fantastic, after all they were played by a master, Mr. Rick Van Der Linden. Very good bass and drums also. The weakest point is the vocals, which are rare but a little naif. If you like Triumvir ... (read more)

Report this review (#7324) | Posted by Melos | Friday, September 17, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRACE "The White Ladies"