NINE DAYS' WONDER

- John Earle / vocals, tenor/soprano sax, flute, guitar
- Rolf Henning / guitar, piano
- Karl Mutschlechner / bass
- Martin Roscoe / drums

LP BACILLUS 6494004 (Germany 1971)
CD Bellaphon (Germany 1993)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Rivertree for the last updates

NINE DAYS' WONDER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NINE DAYS' WONDER Nine Days' Wonder Music

The Best Years Of Our Life?The Best Years Of Our Life?
NINE DAYS WONDER The Scenery Is In Disguise There CD NineDaysWonder Emo Rock US $5.99 Buy It Now 21h 23m
Nine days wonder- The best years of our life? US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
NINE DAYS WONDER - FERMILLOM NEW CD US $26.38 Buy It Now 5 days
STILL SEALED / NINE DAYS WONDER GREEN FOAM COVER / RE US $99.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Nine Days Wonder-same + Only the Dancers German prog psych cd US $18.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Nine Days' Wonder Sonnet To Billy Frost LP Bellaphon BLPS 19234 prog krautrock US $39.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NINE DAYS WONDER: We Never Lost Control LP (Germany, remastered re, shrink) Roc US $35.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Nine Days Wonder - Fermillom CD US $21.97 Buy It Now 10 days
Nine Days Wonder by Peter Mulvey and David Goodrich (CD, 2011, Signature Sounds) US $13.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Sabado Som 1975 Brazil LP EXCLUSIVE KRAUTROCK COMPILATION Nine Days Wonder US $29.98 Buy It Now 12 days
Nine Days Wonder We Never Lost Control + Sonnet to Billy German prog psych cd US $18.99 Buy It Now 14 days
NINE DAYS WONDER-"S/T"/"ONLY THE DANCERS-KRAUT PSYCH-CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 14 days
NINE DAYS WONDER: Nine Days Wonder LP (Germany, 2010 limited edition reissue, i US $50.00 Buy It Now 15 days
NINE DAYS WONDER 1971 KRAUTROCK PSYCH PROG LP ORIG SEALED US $99.75 Buy It Now 15 days
NINE DAYS' WONDER - The Best Years Of Our Life. CD. 1970's Krautrock, Prog Rock US $34.20 Buy It Now 16 days
NINE DAYS WONDER "SONNET TO BILLY FROST" original BACILLUS release MINT vinyl !! US $19.99 Buy It Now 17 days
NINE DAYS' WONDER Sonnet to Billy Feast 1976 GERMAN BELLAPHON LP NM US $39.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Nine Days Wonder: We Never Lost Control LP Germany/Bacillus/Bellaphon, Quad US $45.99 Buy It Now 17 days
NINE DAYS' WONDER - SONNET TO BILLY FROST (ORIG. GER.) US $49.00 Buy It Now 18 days
Nine Days Wonder: "We Never Lost Control" LP Germany/Bacillus/Bellaphon, Quad US $35.00 Buy It Now 18 days
NINE DAYS WONDER-SONNET TO BILLY FROST-70s KRAUT PSYCH-NEW LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 18 days
NINE DAYS WONDER - FERMILLOM * - NEW CD US $18.49 Buy It Now 18 days
NINE DAYS' WONDER - ONLY THE DANCERS - NEW US $33.59 Buy It Now 20 days
NINE DAYS' WONDER - SONNET TO BILLY FROST - NEW US $33.59 Buy It Now 20 days
NINE DAYS' WONDER - WE NEVER LOST CONTROL - NEW US $33.59 Buy It Now 20 days
Nine Days Wonder-Sonnet To Billy Frost/WE NEVER LOST CONTROL-CD US $25.99 Buy It Now 21 days
NINE DAYS WONDER-S/T-'71 GREEN FOAM COVER-NEW LP US $79.99 Buy It Now 22 days
BLUE HONEY Nine Days Wonder CD 1999 Melodic Hard Rock / Metal US $7.99 Buy It Now 22 days
NINE DAYS WONDER-We never lost control-'72 German Krautrock-NEW LP US $35.99 Buy It Now 23 days
NINE DAYS WONDER-FERMILLOM CD NEW US $21.98 Buy It Now 23 days
NINE DAYS WONDER-ONLY THE DANCERS-'74 KRAUT PSYCH-NEW LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Nine Days Wonder - Fermillom [CD New] US $18.49 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy NINE DAYS' WONDER music online Buy NINE DAYS' WONDER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NINE DAYS' WONDER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NINE DAYS' WONDER Nine Days' Wonder ratings distribution

NINE DAYS' WONDER Nine Days' Wonder reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars This album must have one of the weirdest ever cover-texture (in its original German pressing) as it was a rubbery foam (not having aged well for the most part), but the music inside it was equally disturbed being a strange mix of what was the craziest music around. This very international group (saxman-flauter Earle is Irish, drummer Roscoe British, and the bassist is Austrian), NDW is one of those UFOs in terms of influences, and this album in its original version is worth a small fortune, and has been re-released with a different artwork too.

As much as I have been listening to this album, I always felt that it was rather impossible to describe the music succinctly without omitting a facet (or two, even three) of it, so would resume it as a bizarre cross of Beefheart's Zappa and a Crimson Machine with Purple Traffic. Only four tracks two of them multi-movement "suites", this is head-twisting dizzyingly-wild music, constantly changing with a few characters intervening here and there. All tracks and subsections are attributed to all the members and it hardly surprises once you heard it a few times.

As the group will fold soon after, John Earle left for England and eventually ended up in Gnidrolog, playing second sax on their classic Lady Lake.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#101059) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2006

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars A rare hybrid

What if Jethro Tull had decided to back up Frank Zappa in the start of the 70s, and then hired Tony Iommi to play lead guitar for this brand new band? I´m not sure all these musicians could have succumbed to the dictatorship of good ol´ Franky boy, but then again I´m only contemplating what could have been. This debut album by Nine Days´ Wonder does however make a fair bet, as to how this flammable cocktail would pan out. It works within those tricky and ludicrous plays on music that Zappa was pioneering back when his beard was black as the night, - that special music which had the tunes getting lost in a bewildering sonic labyrinth.

Just like the well orchestrated maze of Zappa that took the tracks beyond anything, we as the audience had heard before(at least in rock music), Nine Days´ Wonder challenge our sense of melody - as well as our preconceived notions of musical flow. This album turns on a dime, which in my book makes it all the more mind boggling - that the tunes often have a way of turning out like outright songs. Songs that you can sing! I know, I´m rambling again, but I actually find it pretty perplexing to hear music this fluctuating and challenging, to be so catchy and welcoming. It´s one of those things that Zappa was brilliant at too.

One other thing about this album, which I think is quite extraordinary, is the sheer spectrum of sound it permits, and that is without any organs, mellotrons or synthesizers. 3 of the prog heads most revered instruments are nowhere to be heard, but I honestly don´t miss them. The album is largely build up around the interplay between the wind instruments and the guitar. Sometimes you´ll be facing a distinct fusion fire that reminds me slightly of the feel Black Sabbath had back during tracks like Wicked World with that growling rocking jazz music - forcing you to tap your feet along to the bouncing beats. Other times the focus of these 2 instruments are somewhat divided, meaning that you get one echoing the other in a near jazz chase situation, albeit with a decisively heavier rock n´ roll touch. Both these trades are used wonderfully throughout the record, and then when the time is right - and the music has played itself out - the soprano sax is elegantly replaced by the Ian Anderson like flute and suddenly, without warning, the music has changed its skin. Welcome to an unrecognisable yet charming new face within the exact same song!

Although this band was playing out of Germany back in the day, the front singer here who also handles both wind instruments - is from Ireland. And with a bassist from Austria and a British drummer - what we have here is a multicultural melting pot. Maybe that is the catch! Maybe that´s why the music wound up this eclectic and varied? I frankly don´t know, but I do know how much I love dancing around to this little obscurity. It´s loads of fun, and again - pointing back at Zappa - these guys also exhibit a mad and slightly bizarre kind of humour, which really speaks to me. Many a times the front man sounds like he´s singing with an ice cube running down his back - you know that high-pitched, surprised and maniacal voice that almost tweets like some humanized stork running on hot coals. And you know how much I love my birds...

I think most prog fans will adore this album, and if you are into Zappa, Tull and Beardfish, or could imagine Gentle Giant without the medieval shadings all spliced up with a hefty dose of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, then damn it boy: What are you waiting for??!!!

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#606719) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 10, 2012

4 stars 4.5 stars. I absolutely love this album. It's hard to pin down as far as what style of music it is but I agree with the RYM site that this should be in Krautrock. The band was formed in 1966 in Germany but didn't release an album (this one) until 1971. Only 2 of the 5 members here are actually German though and the lineup would change on the next record. Some of the guys who were in this band would go onto play in ZYMA, GNIDROLOG,TWENTY SIXTY SIX AND THEN, JUD'S GALLERY, AERA and others. This is such an interesting, inventive and entertaining album.

"Fermillion" opens with a heavy guitar chord then the flute and keys take over before the heaviness drops in like a bomb. Vocals join in and I love the raw guitar here. The guitar continues to light it up as the vocals come and go. It settles with sax and a heavy rhythm. A jazzy vibe too before it turns experimental before 5 minutes. The sax is back a minute later as the drums pound and the bass throbs. Nice. The guitar starts to rip it up trading off with the sax. A change 8 minutes in with vocals. It speeds up before 9 minutes then slows right down with spoken vocals. Cool. It then kicks in with sax and vocals as the drums pound away. A calm 11 minutes in. It's haunting as we hear laughter. Now i'm laughing as the guy talking speaks like a woman. This is hilarious much like Monty Python. A change 13 minutes in as vocals come in then it turns heavy.

"Moss Had Come" continues the heavy sound with vocals. A calm with strummed guitar before 1 1/2 minutes. Laid back vocals join in then it kicks back in before 3 minutes,sax too. "Apple Tree" has some intensity and humour in it. A calm with sax before a minute. The tempo picks up 2 minutes in and the vocals stop as they jam with the guitar out front. Vocals are back late.

"Drag Dilemma" has an impressive instrumental intro then the guitar starts to lead then the vocals join in. Amazing ! The vocals and guitar trade off 2 1/2 minutes in. It's like the guitar is talking back. It kicks back in after 3 minutes. So good ! Flute after 4 minutes then the vocals are back before 6 1/2 minutes. A groovy beat here. Sax after 8 minutes then vocals a minute later. It's almost spacey after 10 1/2 minutes then it kicks back in. He sounds like Peter Hammill 12 minutes in as he gets theatrical.

My kind of music.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#643562) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 01, 2012

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Manheim-based act Nine Days Wonder started in 1966 under the name The Graves, led by drummer and singer Walter Seyffer.They became Nine Days Wonder in 1970, when Seyffer gathered a multi-national line-up, consisting of British drummer Martin Roscoe, Austrian bassist Karl Mutschlechner, German guitarist Rolf Henning and Irish multi-instrumentalist John Earle.They were signed by Bacillus, which released their self-titled debut in 1971, released also on Harvest with a different cover only for the UK market.

Nine Days Wonder played very complex and jazzy Kraut Rock with unusual vocal sections and extreme musical ideas, aking to the hardest moments of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR or KRAAN.Maybe the most extreme is the opening, long ''Fermillion'', a unique mix of Kraut Rock with endless jams, Heavy Rock with strong guitar moves, Funk with sweet sax solos and Jazz Rock with measured, improvised passages, spoiled by the needless, ZAPPA-esque but hillarious vocals towards the end.''Moss Had Come'' is a short Psych/Hard rocker with a sudden acoustic break at the middle, featuring some impressive sax moves.''Apple Tree'' is possibly the best track of the album.Again a furious and complicated jazzy Kraut Rock with sax in evidence is nicely blended with a softer vocal moment and very good Hard Prog sound towards the end with intricate guitar work.The closing ''Drag Dilemma'' clock at over 12 minutes and continues in the same vein yet with a bit more flexibility.Lots of nice interplays with sax, flutes and guitar battling, also lots of different displays like Classical-influenced parts, Proto-Fusion solos and Hard Rock offerings to go along with very passionate vocals.

Definitely pioneers of the German Prog, but maybe a bit too dense for their own goods, Nine Days Wonder debuted with an interesting album, lacking melodies and emotion, but filled with passion, energy and impressive music.Recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#914124) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 15, 2013

Post a review of NINE DAYS' WONDER "Nine Days' Wonder"