BENT OUT OF SHAPE

Good, but non-essential

Buy RAINBOW Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Stranded (4:30)
2. Can't Let You Go (4:24)
3. Fool For The Night (4:04)
4. Fire Dance (4:30)
5. Anybody There (2:44)
6. Desperate Heart (4:37)
7. Street Of Dreams (4:28)
8. Drinking With The Devil (3:44)
9. Snowman (4:33)
10. Make Your Move (5:25)

Search RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape lyrics

Search RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape tabs

- Joe Lynn Turner / vocals
- Ritchie Blackmore / guitar
- Chuck Burgi / drums
- David Rosenthal / keyboard
- Roger Glover / bass

Polydor POLD 5116

Thanks to tuxon for the addition

RAINBOW MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape Music

RisingRising
Polydor / Umgd 1999
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
Very Best of RainbowVery Best of Rainbow
Polydor / Umgd 1997
Long Live Rock & RollLong Live Rock & Roll
Straight Between the EyesStraight Between the Eyes
Catch the Rainbow: The AnthologyCatch the Rainbow: The Anthology
Polydor / Pgd 2003
Down to EarthDown to Earth
Polydor / Umgd 1999
RESURRECTION BAND Awaiting Your Reply 1978 / Rainbow's End 1979 CD REZ US $34.95 Buy It Now 30m 11s
RAINBOW CD - RISING [REMASTERED](1999) - NEW UNOPENED - ROCK METAL US $12.99 Buy It Now 36m 11s
RAINBOW Bent Shape '83 LP JOE LYNN TURNER ex-DEEP PURPLE RITCHIE BLACKMORE NMin- US $9.99 Buy It Now 38m 9s
RAINBOW Straight Between '82 LP JOE LYNN TURNER ex-DEEP PURPLE DIO NMint US $7.99 Buy It Now 42m 4s
RAINBOW Difficult Cure '81 LP JOE LYNN TURNER BLACKMORE DEEP PURPLE pre-DIO US $7.99 Buy It Now 42m 29s
MOVIE THEMES Casablanca Gone With The Wind RAINBOW RECORDS 10" LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 48m 37s
RAINBOW Down To Earth LP ex-DEEP PURPLE RITCHIE BLACKMORE exc-DIO GRAHAM BONNET US $8.99 Buy It Now 49m 26s
RAINBOW Down To Earth + Jealous 2LP lot DEEP PURPLE DIO GRAHAM BONNET POWELL US $12.99 Buy It Now 49m 33s
Esy Morales / Jimmy Saunders - Jungle Fantasy / If You Care For Me - Rainbow US $41.92 Buy It Now 50m 29s
RAINBOW Debut LP ex-DEEP PURPLE RITCHIE BLACKMORE pre-DIO ORIG US press US $13.99 Buy It Now 52m 24s
George Duke Follow The Rainbow WLP funk Napoleon Murphy Brock (Frank Zappa) US $8.00 [0 bids]
53m 9s
Rozalla - Are You Ready To Fly - UK Import 12" Single - Rainbow Mix w/Acapella US $6.25 [0 bids]
55m 30s
Al Jarreau - Look To The Rainbow LP - WB - Jazz US $2.43 Buy It Now 59m 23s
Al Jarreau - Look To The Rainbow LP - WB - Jazz US $2.83 Buy It Now 59m 26s
THE BEACH BOYS Wild Honey STEREO rainbow label CAPITOL LP US $22.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
HUMAN BEINZ-Evolutions-MEGA RARE - LP - Black Rainbow Capitol label VG++ Vinyl US $75.00 [0 bids]
ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE Crystal Rainbow Pyramid Under The Stars CD flied egg ruins US $5.50 [2 bids]
13-0723-002 | NELSON, WILLIE somewhere over the rainbow VG/VG USA FC36883 US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
MTUME, In Search of the Rainbow Seekers STERLING USA 1st press EXCELLENT- LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Rainbow Down to Earth 12inch LP US $0.10 [0 bids]
Mariah Carey 1999 RAINBOW USED CD MINT Heartbreaker Against All Odds US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
DONNA SUMMER I'm A Rainbow CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Box Tops - Neon Rainbow / Everything I Am 7" 45 - Mala - Oldies US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
DIO LOCK UP THE WOLVES TOUR SHIRT 1990 SABBATH RAINBOW OZZY KISS RARE M US $75.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
## ASTRUD GILBERTO - LOOK TO THE RAINBOW LP LATIN JAZZ VERVE V-8643 1965 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
DAVID HOUSTON "I LOVE A RAINBOW" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 47m
RAINBOW Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow EU Polydor CD Sealed New ! Free Shipping ! US $24.90 Buy It Now 1h 50m
The Marshall Tucker Band Searchin for a Rainbow Carolina Dreams Vinyl LP Record US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
TOM RUSH, Wrong End of the Rainbow USA 1st pressing 1A matrix LP US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
MTUME, In Search of the Rainbow Seekers STERLING USA 1st pressing EXCELLENT- LP US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
demensions - over the rainbow - collectables 8141 cd new/ss ref# 4248 US $9.95 [0 bids]
2h
ECHOES OF THE RAINBOW [Original Soundtrack] CD *SEALED Henry Lai *Hong Kong ???? US $29.95 Buy It Now 2h 5m
DJ Klock - "Rainbow EP" 12" 2006 Japan Clockwise Recordings CWR-005 VG+ Hip Hop US $38.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Frankie Avalon - Why / Swingin' On A Rainbow 7" 45 - Chancellor - Vocal Pop US $2.84 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Over at Rainbow's by Peter Cook (Comedian) (CD, Oct-2002, 2 Discs, Proper... US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
MARSHALL TUCKER BAND / SEARCHIN' FOR A RAINBOW 1975 JAPAN LP w/ OBI US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
THE DELLS, Sing a Rainbow/Love Is Blue [Chess] UK 1st pressing A1 matrix 45 US $0.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Santana Dance of the Rainbow Serpant Box set US $14.99 [0 bids]
Evita Soundtrack CD! Madonna, Andrew Lloyd Webber, BUENOS AIRES, RAINBOW TOUR US $5.99 [0 bids]
Greenpeace: Rainbow Warriors [#1] by Various Artists (CD, May-1989, Geffen) US $5.99 [0 bids]
SAM HARRIS s/t 1984 CD w Sugar Don't Bite & Over The Rainbow RARE STAR SEARCH US $74.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Black Lips - Underneath The Rainbow (Advance) - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $8.98 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Rainbow: Mach (2011) Japan Korea / CD & DVD TAIWAN SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Rainbow: A (2011) Korea Japan / CD & DVD TAIWAN SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Cilla/Cilla Sings a Rainbow by Cilla Black (CD, Apr-2002, Emi) US $299.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
JACKY WARD - RAINBOW "SEALED" VINYL LP US $13.96 Buy It Now 3h 33m
DEEP PURPLE "PROMO / NM WAX" Perfect Strangers JP Rainbow OBI LP f0383 US $119.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
FOCUS "NM WAX" At The Rainbow Japan Press OBI LP F5516 US $119.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
RAINBOW "PROMO / NM WAX" Straight Between The Eyes 1982 JP OBI LP g8153 US $179.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
RAINBOW "PROMO / NM MAX" At Last Japan Press OBI LP g3752 US $379.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Baysiders ~45~ Over The Rainbow / My Bonnie ~ Everest US $6.95 Buy It Now 4h
Judy Garland - Over The Rainbow: The Very Best Of Judy Garland CD US $49.53 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Vintage VINYL Record 45RPM SINGLE 12" - COSMIC GATE Somewhere Over The Rainbow US $15.27 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Eric Clapton - Rainbow Concert - RSO - 2394 116 - Canada - Flipfold VG++/VG++ LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
PUNCH & JUDY: Catch A Rainbow (oldies vinyl 45) US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Rose Royce sealed LP Rainbow Connection US $9.75 Buy It Now 5h 20m
FOCUS - Live At The Rainbow ~ VINYL LP US PRESS US $34.07 Buy It Now 5h 41m
CLASSIC RAINBOW- MASTERS COLLECTION 16TRK CD ALBUM US $6.80 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Rainbow - Rising [CD New] US $21.09 Buy It Now 5h 48m
PURPLE RAINBOWS-16 TRACK CD-1991-DEEP PURPLE-WHITESNAKE-DIO-RAINBOW-G.BONNETT US $11.80 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow / stranger in us all /JAPAN LTD CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
ERIC CLAPTON RAINBOW CONCERT / JAPAN WITH OBI US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
NEW - Over the Rainbow by Garland, Judy US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
RONNIE JAMES DIO (Rainbow/Black Sabbath/Dio) - 1990 Double Page Magazine Poster US $7.67 Buy It Now 6h 5m
BLACKMORE'S CASTLE: A TRIBUTE TO DEEP PURPLE & RAINBOW, VOL. 2 - NEW CD US $14.97 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Rainbow Six:Lockdown-2005-Original Game Soundtrack CD US $28.27 Buy It Now 6h 17m
RAINBOW The Best Of 2LP US $22.15 Buy It Now 6h 19m
WHITE RAINBOW - NEW CLOUDS [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $13.34 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Lomg Live Rock "N" Roll - Rainbow (Cassette, 1978) RARE NEW SEALED US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Rainbow / SO? 2nd MINI ALBUM k-pop cd new US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 29m
SEALED WILLIE NELSON LP - SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
NANCY WILSON: TODAY, TOMORROW, FOREVER: CAPITOL RAINBOW LP: EX /EX US $25.55 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Merle Haggard - Rainbow Stew Live CD US $10.44 Buy It Now 6h 43m
HOW ARE THINGS IN GLOCCA MORRA-60's Sheetmusic-FINIANS RAINBOW-Musical US $17.04 Buy It Now 6h 50m
MTUME - KISS THIS WORLD GOODBYE/IN SEARCH OF THE RAINBOW SEEKERS * - NEW CD US $18.50 Buy It Now 6h 51m
RARE FEMALE XIAN LP THE RAINBOW MELODEARS TRIO WICHITA KANSAS CRUSADE RECORDS US $50.00 [0 bids]
BAND OF OZ - OVER THE RAINBOW [BAND OF OZ] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $12.16 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Wax Tailor - Dusty Rainbow From The Dark [CD New] US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 9m
80's THE BEST HITS Rock Ballads 2CD set (Bonnie Tyler, Rainbow, Status Quo) US $18.99 [0 bids]
THE WIGGLES - SAILING AROUND THE WORLD/RACING TO THE RAINBOW - NEW CD US $20.41 Buy It Now 7h 24m
BOB MARLEY VS FUNKSTAR DE LUXE Rainbow Country CD 3 Tracks, Radio Edit/Funkstar US $6.39 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Aliki Ashman with Love Arthur Lee Rainbow Theatre, London 23/5/74 Photo US $12.63 Buy It Now 7h 31m
CD PEGGY LEE DIVA THE MAN I LOVE BYE BYE BLACKBIRD SING A RAINBOW THAT'S ALL ETC US $10.21 Buy It Now 7h 33m
CD JUDY GARLAND OVER THE RAINBOW SWANEE CRY BABY ETC US $6.80 Buy It Now 7h 35m
MAGGIE BELL - Live at the Rainbow 1974 (Live Recording, 2002) - CD Album US $8.09 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow Japan Press W/Obi & Inserts EX US $26.99 Buy It Now 7h 48m
RAINBOW CHASERS - CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (UK) NEW CD US $38.82 Buy It Now 8h 9m
The, Demensions, Over The Rainbow Audio CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Rainbow - Finyl Vinyl, Polydor PODV-8 Ex- Condition Double Vinyl LP Gatefold US $17.02 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Finian's Rainbow / Ella Logan / OL4062 / Columbia / 12" 33rpm vinyl lp US $2.69 [0 bids]
WILLIE NELSON SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW JAPAN US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
The Dimensions 45 "Over The Rainbow / Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart" US $4.49 Buy It Now 8h 19m
RAINBOW - BENT OUT OF SHAPE [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $3.08 Buy It Now 8h 20m
SERGIO MENDES - Never Gonna Let You Go / Rainbow's End - 45RPM US $1.25 [1 bids]
The Marmalade 45 "Rainbow / The Ballad Of Cherry Flavar" US $5.24 Buy It Now 8h 26m
RAINBOW The Best Of Rainbow 1981 UK double vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $25.55 Buy It Now 8h 29m
RAINBOW - STRAIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES / UNPLAYED - OBI JA US $79.99 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Al Blank - Jealousy - Rainbow Records - 78 rpm US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 38m
RAINBOW - THE SINGLES BOX SET 1975-1986 [BOX] (600753460535) - NEW CD B US $110.32 Buy It Now 8h 41m
FRANKIE AVALON "SWINGIN' ON A RAINBOW" LP 1959 US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 56m

More places to buy RAINBOW music online Buy RAINBOW & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RAINBOW DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars I remember reading in a "Hit Parader" magazine from 1983 or 1984 that by that time there were rumours of a reunion of Blackmore and Glover with Gillan, Lord and Paice for a new Deep Purple period. The interview in that magazine was done with Blackmore, who said : "yes, there are some plans, and this is the only line-up of that band in which I have interest to work with". But he also said that there were some problems for the reunion because Gillan was with Black Sabbath and Paice was working with another musician as session musician. Finally, that reunion happened in 1984, and this was the last Rainbow`s album from the `80s.

I really didn`t buy this album. In 1992 my brother (a guitarist) and me were playing with a semi-professional (we only played gigs on weekends) covers band, and the singer of that band had this album, which he exchanged with my brother with Gentle Giant`s "Three Friends" album (which we didn`t like). The idea to have another Rainbow`s album was more interesting for us instead to have a Gentle Giant`s album which we didn`t play anymore. So, when we listened to this 1983 Rainbow`s album, we were disppointed a lot, so this album, like "Three Friends", remained in the "not listened anymore" records section!

This is a "conventional" Arena Pop Rock album from the eighties. The singer, Joe Lynn Turner, is very good, but the songs are not interesting, and Blackmore`s playing is also very "conventional", like Glover`s. Maybe this could be called a "contract filler" album due to the plans to reform Deep Purple. This album was promoted with a last tour in 1983-84, with a concert with an orchestra. There is nothing Progressive in this album, in my opinion.

For Rainbow`s greatest fans and collectors only, IMO.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#101477) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 03, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars One reason for me to purchase the CD was just to complete my collection of Ritchie Blackmore's album. I could not believe at that time that the band ended up with releasing this relatively "weak" album. Oh yes, there is "Street of Dreams" which became radio hit at that time. But, unfortunately this song is not quite strong musically - it's just a mediocre pop rock music I would say. I think Rainbow's peak when they reached second album "Rising" followed with legendary concert "On Stage". "Drinking With The Devil" and "Snowman" are actually good track but both could not help the overall album rating which I think it's worth only for collectors. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#135839) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars So, this is the final "Rainbow" album (first period). It is about time for a "Purple" reunion by now. Not that the band released poor albums, but if you except "Rising" there were really nothing great released by the band in terms of studio work.

"Cant Let You Go" is a catchy pop song which features a good solo from the master. Enjoyable but not unforgetable. Like "Fool For The Night" and its upbeat tempo but too AOR oriented for me. Still, one of the best one from this album. One of my fave is "Fire Dance". A solid hard-rock anthem with a wild beat (almost as strong as "Fireball" - the track). The highlight of "Bent Out". No doubt. Great guitar again. A true "Purple" song (but we are getting closer and closer to the reunion)...

Another track that I like very much is the instrumental "Anybody There". It is one of the most emotional solo from Ritchie ("Purple" and "Rainbow" together). A very melodic and brilliant hymn to the guitar. What a pity that it only lasts for 2'38". And even if "Street Of Dreams" is on the pop side, it is also a very melodic song. Straight-forward rock song, on the smooth side. Maybe that some will argue about its mellowish accent (rightly) but I like it. It is not a masterpiece of course, but an enjoyable song.

Surprisingly enoough, I would say that this album is better than most of the "Rainbow" output. "Drinking With The Devil" (this must be quite an experience. Maybe I'll share this one in the after life - but I do not believe too much in this, well this is a bit of a diversion, sorry for this...).

It is really another great rock song with a fantastic rhythm. If only "Rainbow" had produced more songs of this caliber... Joe Lynn turner even trying to emulate Gillan here (not too badly actually).

Not prog for a ? cent (although "Snowman" is probably the only track of their entire catalogue that could vaguely be related with prog (one song out of seven albums, that's not really much is it) ?,

This is a good album, three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144020) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 12, 2007

Review by Gooner
4 stars Rainbow called it quits on a high note with "Bent Out Of Shape"(until a one-shot reunion in 1995 with a new lead vocalist AND band). Many highlights on this album include the instrumentals "Snowman" and "Anybody There?". This is the Joe Lynn Turner Rainbow album where these musicians started to take more chances commercially, but as a result - became less commercial(funny how that happens!). "Deperate Heart"(a great Ritchie Blackmore acoustic intro) became a big radio hit on WLLZ and WRIF in Detroit back in the day...and I remember it getting as much airplay as "Street Of Dreams". As mentioned previously on this website, "Fire Dance" is another highlight...as it reminds me a bit of "Gypsy's Kiss" from the reunion Deep Purple - "Prefect Strangers" LP. Great production by Roger Glover. Rainbow's "Bent Out Of Shape" sits nice alongside Genesis - "Genesis" and Yes - "90125" from that year of 1983. 4 stars for a creative hard rock record.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#152799) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Bent out of shape is the last studio album from the'80's of this famous band. He was released in 1983 and most of the pieces from here are in the same vein with the predecesors (Turner era), but doesn't mean is bad, not by far. To me this is the best Rainbow album with Turner behind the microphone, every single piece here is a winner. Yes of course, again a hard rock album , the prog is absent all the way , but is a good one no doubt, at least for me. I always liked this band and almost every album appeal to me as good ones, some of them are really great ones like this one and Rising, the best albums Rainbow ever done. The mainstream orientation is again present here on every piece, some hard numebers with key passages here and there, the guitar shines as always, that's why Blackmore is considered one of the best guitar hero in history of music, just listen the cover version of Snowman, excellent. The voice of John Lynn Turner did a great job , he fits like a glove in this kind of music, for that reason he was invited in 1988 to do the vocal parts on one of the most intristing Malmsteen albums - Odyssey. So all in all a great album to my ears, very fine moments like:Fire Dance, Street Of Dreams, Fool For The Night, Snowman and the instrumental Anybody There. The new member behind the drums Chuch Burgi is a good drumer, no doubt, but doesn't have that mood and feeling of Powel, he doesn't shine, he only did a good job here. All in all a good album all the way and desearve a solid 3 stars, the best album of the 3 with Turner .

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#190590) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 27, 2008

Review by UMUR
1 stars Bent out of Shape is the seventh full-length studio album by UK hard rock/ heavy rock act Rainbow. Their last album Straight Between The Eyes (1982) failed to impress me much and to be honest it actually annoyed me quite a bit. So I wasn´t really expecting much from this album either. Unfortunately I got exactly what I expected from this album.

The music is melodic hard rock/ heavy rock deeply rooted in the early to mid eighties. Lots of cheesy sounding keyboards, a cliché of a hard rock/ heavy rock singer, a quite anonymous rythm section and a guitar hero in Ritchie Blackmore who mixes his blues rock/ hard rock past with some slight neo-classical ideas. If it wasn´t for the latter´s enjoyable solo work there would be nothing on this album worth my time. The songs are generic, weak and filled with every possible cheesy eighties hard rock/ heavy rock cliché you can imagine. Just check out the lyrics to a song like Can´t Let You Go. Don´t look furhter if you enjoy rain rhymes with pain lyrics. There are ten songs on the album. Two of them are instrumentals and the short Anybody There is somewhat enjoyable while the cover song Snowman comes off as some kind of new age version of the original with sporadic guitar soloing by Ritchie Blackmore which actually works as a disturbing element in the song and not an enhancement. I much prefer Nightwish version of the song ( entitled Walking in the Air) on the Oceanborn (1998) album. the eight remaining songs are more conventional hard rock/ heavy rock songs and what you feel about this genre is of course an aquired taste. I think the genre is generally generic and bland but there are of course exceptions that shines among the many trivial and cliché filled albums out there. Bent out of Shape is not one of them IMO. If I have to mention one positive thing on the album it´s the musicianship. The vocals are strong and the performance, while a bit uninspired at times, is pretty good. It´s just not enough.

In addition to the weak compositions on the album the production is rather thin. It lacks power which doesn´t help the already weak album.

Bent out of Shape is not an album I can recommend, but people who enjoy melodic hard rock/ heavy rock might find some redeeming features on the album. I can´t give more than a 1.5 star rating. The cheese factor is simply too much for me.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#237638) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 06, 2009

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars (Fullfillingness) first finale

Having hit on a formula for creating radio friendly pop rock music, Ritchie kept the same line up together one more time (except for a substitution on drums) for this the band's first final album. This is therefore pretty much a non-starter in prog terms, but that does not mean it should be avoided altogether.

I actually find there is plenty to enjoy here. We do of course have the obvious rehashes of songs which provided hits in the past, the opening "Stranded" being a thinly disguised amalgam of "I surrender" and "Can't happen here". Even here though we are treated to a fine if all too quick burst of Ritchie 's fine lead guitar.

It is though tracks such as"Can't let you go" which light my fire. The track features a "Toccata" like organ introduction by David Rosenthal before bursting into a highly melodic Blackmore/Turner song. Tuner actually sounds rather Dio like for the song, giving one of his finest vocal performances during his entire time with the band. "Fire dance" has a real Deep Purple feel, mixing "Fireball" and "Burn" with (relatively) more recent songs like "Not responsible". The driving organ sound is of course straight from the Jon Lord songbook.

"Anybody there" is a beautiful organ backed bluesy guitar instrumental in the Gary Moore vein, but it remains rather undeveloped. The other isntrumenal on the album is a surprising cover of "The snowman" ("walking in the air"). Surprising because it really is very good, bringing out the beauty of the underlying melody, upon which Ritchie improvises superbly. Those familiar with the more recent versions by Oceansize and Nightwish should check out this version too.

The single actually chosen from the album, "Street of dreams" is pure AOR in the Journey and REO Speedwagon mould. As such, it is melodic and pleasant, but completely disposable.

Lengthwise, there is no feature track here, just a collection of 3-4 minute pop rock numbers. This is though an album of significant underlying quality, albeit in fields other than prog. Recommended for fans of all things Blackmore.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#242912) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 04, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Last album from Rainbow first period of activity. Based on Blackmore-Glover-JL Turner triangle, the album contains melodic hard rock with some AOR elements and Blackmore-style characteristic neo-classic arrangements in some places.

Too pop-oriented to be good album, it still have some attractive moments in it. Perfect Blackmore guitar work, melodic elements and not-so-bad JL Turner vocals. If Turner's work in Deep Purple was terrible ( mostly because of difference between his voice and DP music ), he sounds much better in Rainbow. And there on this album he sounds better than on previous one.

I don't think this album is important in heavy rock history or even in Blackmore discography, but from another hand it is quite pleasant listening. And for sure must have for Rainbow fans.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#256268) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 15, 2009

4 stars Bent Out Of shape...years of remembrance 1983... Anyway, this is the best album of the Turner's era and a fine example of high quality AOR music, in my humble opinion. It's a fine collection of songs perfectly suited for Turner's voice who's vocal performance is exceptional in this album. Can't ... (read more)

Report this review (#190613) | Posted by Silent Knight | Thursday, November 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is Rainbow's lat album of the 80's and the most commercially driven. Despite this, Rainbow still manages to give a good album. Newest member Chuck Burgi does well behind the drums, and Joe Lynn Turner really shines here. The album seemes a tad forced though, there's nothing really creativ ... (read more)

Report this review (#107776) | Posted by rainbow111 | Wednesday, January 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RAINBOW "Bent Out Of Shape"