BENT OUT OF SHAPE

Good, but non-essential

Buy RAINBOW Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Stranded (4:30)
2. Can't Let You Go (4:24)
3. Fool For The Night (4:04)
4. Fire Dance (4:30)
5. Anybody There (2:44)
6. Desperate Heart (4:37)
7. Street Of Dreams (4:28)
8. Drinking With The Devil (3:44)
9. Snowman (4:33)
10. Make Your Move (5:25)

Search RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape lyrics

Search RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape tabs

- Joe Lynn Turner / vocals
- Ritchie Blackmore / guitar
- Chuck Burgi / drums
- David Rosenthal / keyboard
- Roger Glover / bass

Polydor POLD 5116

Thanks to tuxon for the addition

RAINBOW MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape Music

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
RisingRising
On StageOn Stage
Down to EarthDown to Earth
Bent Out of ShapeBent Out of Shape
Umvd Special Markets 1999
BILLY ECKSTINE You Go To My Head M-G-M 78-10607 Over The Rainbow US $5.99 [0 bids]
33m 30s
Top 40 Rock Classics Black Sabbath Rainbow Survivor + Cassette Tape - TESTED US $8.32 Buy It Now 36m 6s
Eric Clapton's Rainbow LP Vinyl Record RSO 1973 US $16.14 Buy It Now 36m 33s
BEN BENAY: The Big Blues Harmonica Of Ben Benay LP (black/rainbow 'mfd by Capit US $35.00 Buy It Now 37m 11s
BLACK LIPS underneath the rainbow CD 12 track in digi pak (vca803342) european v US $18.29 Buy It Now 38m 16s
FOCUS vinyl lp 12" PROMO RARE white label Sire Live at the Rainbow VG++ US $12.99 [0 bids]
39m 25s
AL JARREAU- LOOK TO THE RAINBOW- DOUBLE ALBUM-LIVE US $6.50 [0 bids]
44m 6s
Underneath the Rainbow [Digipak] by Black Lips (CD, Mar-2014, Vice) US $7.99 Buy It Now 45m 57s
WEBLEY EDWARDS: Hawaii Calls LP (Mono, side logo rainbow lbl) Easy Listening US $20.00 Buy It Now 47m 45s
SEALED LP KAY GARDNER A RAINBOW PATH NEW AGE US $9.99 Buy It Now 49m 54s
Vanilla Doo Wop The Demensions Mohawk 116 45rpm Over The Rainbow Nursery Rhime US $8.99 [0 bids]
50m 6s
Roger Glover Rainbow LP Mask UK 21 Records polydor 1st pressing Nice LP B US $9.99 [0 bids]
52m 5s
Frankie Avalon 45 "Why / Swingin' On A Rainbow" ~ Chancellor VG++ US $7.49 Buy It Now 59m 32s
YEHUDI MENUHIN, CHRISTIAN FERRAS; BACH DOUBLE CONCERTO, CAPITOL STEREO RAINBOW US $12.00 [0 bids]
1h
Molly Hatchet Warriors of the Rainbow Bridge 12" Double LP Reissue US $20.00 [0 bids]
Perdue University: University Sing-1968 ("Wish Me A Rainbow") LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The Rainbow Children by Prince (CD, Redline Records) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Floyd Tillman Musicor 1355 Rainbow Is The Color Of Love US $5.40 Buy It Now 1h 10m
RAINBOW BENT OUT OF SHAPE LP MINT SEALED COLORED VINYL US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Caroliner Rainbow - The sabre waving saracen wall LP Nuff Sed NSLP-5 US $9.99 [0 bids]
BETTE STALNECKER 33 lp revival requests RAINBOW private female gospel femme xian US $3.24 Buy It Now 1h 20m
MARIAH CAREY ( 2 DIFF.) CD's #1's AND RAINBOW PACKED WITH THE BEST OF MARIAH US $2.50 [0 bids]
Coheed & Cambria - Year Of The Black Rainbow [Vinyl New] US $34.09 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Chanters - Over The Rainbow Mint 1966 US $99.00 [0 bids]
RAINBOW Straight Between The Eyes (Cassette) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
JOE STAMPLEY - SOMEWHERE UNDER THE RAINBOW NEW CD US $28.77 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Gravity's Rainbow by Pat Benatar (CD, Jun-1993, Chrysalis Records) - No Cover US $1.99 [0 bids]
Rainbow's End Resurrection Band LP Star Song SSR-0015 1979 Rainbow Labels VG+ US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
7" 45RPM Don't Cry For Me Argentina/Rainbow High by Julie Covington from MCA US $3.33 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Vee-Jay GENE CHANDLER Duke Of Earl Rainbow Label 45 rpm Single Classic 1962 US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
THE RHODIANS "Rainbow of Dancing Hits" 12" Lp RARE!!! 1976, Colosuss US $9.00 [0 bids]
MATTHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT: Later That Same Year LP (original black/rainbow labe US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Japan SHM-CD Hard Rock My Generation Rainbow Black Sabbath Kiss UFO Motorhead US $29.99 [0 bids]
NEW - When You Are One by Rainbow Songs US $3.30 Buy It Now 1h 44m
ROSE ROYCE: Rainbow Connection Iv (soul LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Linda Wright "Everybody Needs A Rainbow" Rare NZ 7" US $7.45 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Rainbow Man by Jeff Bates (CD, May-2003, RCA) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rainbow~"Straight Between The Eyes"~lp vinyl record Mercury Records SRM-1-4041 US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Rainbow - Difficult To Cure (1981) Vinyl LP Record Album 33 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sealed CD Steve Ward Guitar Rainbow In The Rain Sage Music Self Published US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Jolson Story, Pt. 3 (Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder) by Al Jolson (Cassette, ... US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Sergio Mendes A&M 45 Record #2563 NM 1983 Rainbow's End / Carnival US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
45 POP Looking Glass golden rainbow Brandy USA NM HEAR US $5.00 [1 bids]
GREELEY ESTATES - NO RAIN, NO RAINBOW - NEW CD US $10.53 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Dodie Stevens 45 "Pink Shoe Laces" / Russ Hamilton "Rainbow" US $5.99 [0 bids]
1961 Doo Wop 45 - The SUPERBS - Rainbow of Love / The Fish HERITAGE 103 NM-/EX US $22.50 [3 bids]
Janis Ian / Roses 45 rpm Columbia Rainbow Collection Promo Record 1975 Jukebox US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
SIBLING REVELRY Ann Hampton Callaway LIZ CALLAWAY Live from Rainbow US $0.99 [0 bids]
Joe Sample Rainbow Seeker (MCA-27072) Record, Vinyl, album, LP US $1.97 [0 bids]
RAINBOW Jealous Lover / Weiss Heim / Can't Happen Here / I Surrender (cassette) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Looking Glass "Rainbow Man" Rare US PROMO 7" US $3.72 Buy It Now 2h 12m
DOO-WOP REPRO: FIVE CROWNS-Alone Again/I Don't Have To Hunt No More RAINBOW US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Beatles VI albulm, Original Capital Black Label, w/ rainbow, T2358 Mono US $5.00 [1 bids]
78RPM Rainbow 10030 Stan Freeman, Ain't She Sweet / Sweet Leilani strong V US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Unknown Artist Letters From Chutney [Audio CD] Rainbow CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Australian Cover LP CILLA BLACK / Sings a Rainbow George Martin US $40.00 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Original Beatles '65 Mono Vinyl Record T2228 Capitol Rainbow Logo 33rpm album US $22.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Guy Lombardo/Royal Canadians-Rainbow Of Love(Promotional) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Rainbow by Mariah Carey (CD, Nov-1999, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
5 LP Lot - Neil Diamond -- Hot August Nights, Tap Root, Rainbow, US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Rainbow - Mariah Carey (CD 1999) US $13.49 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Petula Clark 45 Don't Give Up/Every Time I See A Rainbow Warner Bros. Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Oliver Shanti & Friends : Rainbow way CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
SWINGMASTERS FEAT. ANDRE SIMMS: Switch Blade / Rainbow (funk vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
RAINBOW STRAIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES LP ORIGINAL US $39.39 [0 bids]
LATIN MAMBO 45 ALFREDITO Rainbow 312 MR. BONES / NEW RHYTHM CHA-CHA-CHA Al Lang US $74.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Major Matchbox "Over The Rainbow" Rare Oz 7" EP US $9.31 Buy It Now 2h 43m
JUDAS PRIEST - STAINED CLASS LP NWOBHM IRON MAIDEN RAINBOW HEAVY METAL US $5.99 [1 bids]
Jimi Hendrix?-Rainbow Bridge-Soundtrack/Reprise Records - MS 2040 Gatefold US $7.00 [0 bids]
5 Dolly Parton Compact Discs CDs Greatest Hits, White Limo, Rainbow, Sparrow!!! US $0.99 [0 bids]
JOE SAMPLE Rainbow Seeker AA-1050 LP Ac0531 US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
BEST OF - RAINBOW (CASSETTE) NEW NEW FACTORY SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
(AS400) Klaxons, Gravity's Rainbow - DJ CD US $2.91 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Music of Delius Beecham Capitol Stereo SG 716 1st Press Orig. Rainbow lb Sealed US $9.50 [2 bids]
Lara's Theme / Wish Me a Rainbow LP - BOGO SALE & Free Shipping in the USA! US $4.95 [0 bids]
Caroliner Rainbow - Banknotes, dreams & signatures LP Nuf Sed NSLP 7 USA US $9.99 [0 bids]
BOBBY BROOKS ~ One Lonely Ring / Take Me ~ '56 BALLAD R&B on Rainbow ~ NM ~ HEAR US $7.00 [0 bids]
Rare Soul Blues 45: Loleatta Holloway Apache Rainbow 71 For Sentimental Reasons US $25.00 [0 bids]
George Duke "Follow The Rainbow" Japanese import CD ESCA 7884 JAZZ not LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
RUSS HAMILTON WE WILL MAKE LOVE/RAINBOW 45 RPM KAPP RECORDS K-184 X US $2.98 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Three 33 rpm Willie Nelson Records LP San Antonio Rose Family Live Rainbow EX US $12.95 [0 bids]
JUDY GARLAND THE INCOMPARABLE VINYL LP AUSTRALIA RARE issue OVER THE RAINBOW US $16.80 Buy It Now 3h 12m
PEPPERMINT RAINBOW - Will You Be Staying After Sunday - 1969 - Stereo LP US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 14m
JOE LYNN TURNER Soul Searcher Rare Live '85 CD Rainbow Deep Purple US $19.99 [1 bids]
DAPPERS ~ Bop Bop Bu/How I Need You Baby ~ '56 DOO-WOP on Rainbow ~ NM- ~ HEAR US $9.99 [0 bids]
Rainbow Long Live Rock 'N' Roll Record (1978) US $3.64 [0 bids]
CELESTE ZEPPONI - Inside the Rainbow -- Brand NEW CD US $1.01 [0 bids]
JR. WALKER: Rainbow Funk (soul vinyl LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 36m
TM NETWORK RAINBOW RAINBOW 1984 JAPAN 61 +++++ CD 35.8H 1ST PRESS US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
THE PEPPERMINT RAINBOW Will You Be Staying After Sunday DECCA 45-32410 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Mari Amachi Bridge of a Rainbow LP NM SOLL-12 Japan w/insert OBI US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Ada Jones & Billy Murray - ZON-O-PHONE 5163 - Oh, You Coon & Rainbow US $50.00 Buy It Now 3h 43m
ROGER WILLIAMS I Honestly Love You Melody Of Love Rainbow Theme Airport 1975 LP US $21.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
MYRA SISTERS ~ Go On Baby, Cry On ~ GIRL GROUP R&B ROCKER ~ Rainbow #346 US $24.99 [1 bids]
THE PICK OF JUDY GARLAND-VINYL-NM-SMILE-MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY-OVER THE RAINBOW US $2.99 [0 bids]
GAIL MARTEN & CLEM EHOFF TRIO - BEYOND THE RAINBOW NEW CD US $24.95 Buy It Now 3h 52m
DIO "Holy Diver" CD, 1990 Warner Bros Compact Disc (Elf/Black Sabbath/Rainbow) US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Ella Jenkins "I Know The Colors of the Rainbow" Music Cassette and Songbook US $0.99 [0 bids]
PAT BENATAR - GRAVITY'S RAINBOW - 12 TRACK CD BY ROCK LEGEND! US $2.99 [0 bids]
Sailcat 45 Rainbow Road/Motorcycle Mama Elektra Records 1972 #EK-45782 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h

More places to buy RAINBOW music online Buy RAINBOW & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RAINBOW DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars I remember reading in a "Hit Parader" magazine from 1983 or 1984 that by that time there were rumours of a reunion of Blackmore and Glover with Gillan, Lord and Paice for a new Deep Purple period. The interview in that magazine was done with Blackmore, who said : "yes, there are some plans, and this is the only line-up of that band in which I have interest to work with". But he also said that there were some problems for the reunion because Gillan was with Black Sabbath and Paice was working with another musician as session musician. Finally, that reunion happened in 1984, and this was the last Rainbow`s album from the `80s.

I really didn`t buy this album. In 1992 my brother (a guitarist) and me were playing with a semi-professional (we only played gigs on weekends) covers band, and the singer of that band had this album, which he exchanged with my brother with Gentle Giant`s "Three Friends" album (which we didn`t like). The idea to have another Rainbow`s album was more interesting for us instead to have a Gentle Giant`s album which we didn`t play anymore. So, when we listened to this 1983 Rainbow`s album, we were disppointed a lot, so this album, like "Three Friends", remained in the "not listened anymore" records section!

This is a "conventional" Arena Pop Rock album from the eighties. The singer, Joe Lynn Turner, is very good, but the songs are not interesting, and Blackmore`s playing is also very "conventional", like Glover`s. Maybe this could be called a "contract filler" album due to the plans to reform Deep Purple. This album was promoted with a last tour in 1983-84, with a concert with an orchestra. There is nothing Progressive in this album, in my opinion.

For Rainbow`s greatest fans and collectors only, IMO.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#101477) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 03, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars One reason for me to purchase the CD was just to complete my collection of Ritchie Blackmore's album. I could not believe at that time that the band ended up with releasing this relatively "weak" album. Oh yes, there is "Street of Dreams" which became radio hit at that time. But, unfortunately this song is not quite strong musically - it's just a mediocre pop rock music I would say. I think Rainbow's peak when they reached second album "Rising" followed with legendary concert "On Stage". "Drinking With The Devil" and "Snowman" are actually good track but both could not help the overall album rating which I think it's worth only for collectors. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#135839) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars So, this is the final "Rainbow" album (first period). It is about time for a "Purple" reunion by now. Not that the band released poor albums, but if you except "Rising" there were really nothing great released by the band in terms of studio work.

"Cant Let You Go" is a catchy pop song which features a good solo from the master. Enjoyable but not unforgetable. Like "Fool For The Night" and its upbeat tempo but too AOR oriented for me. Still, one of the best one from this album. One of my fave is "Fire Dance". A solid hard-rock anthem with a wild beat (almost as strong as "Fireball" - the track). The highlight of "Bent Out". No doubt. Great guitar again. A true "Purple" song (but we are getting closer and closer to the reunion)...

Another track that I like very much is the instrumental "Anybody There". It is one of the most emotional solo from Ritchie ("Purple" and "Rainbow" together). A very melodic and brilliant hymn to the guitar. What a pity that it only lasts for 2'38". And even if "Street Of Dreams" is on the pop side, it is also a very melodic song. Straight-forward rock song, on the smooth side. Maybe that some will argue about its mellowish accent (rightly) but I like it. It is not a masterpiece of course, but an enjoyable song.

Surprisingly enoough, I would say that this album is better than most of the "Rainbow" output. "Drinking With The Devil" (this must be quite an experience. Maybe I'll share this one in the after life - but I do not believe too much in this, well this is a bit of a diversion, sorry for this...).

It is really another great rock song with a fantastic rhythm. If only "Rainbow" had produced more songs of this caliber... Joe Lynn turner even trying to emulate Gillan here (not too badly actually).

Not prog for a ? cent (although "Snowman" is probably the only track of their entire catalogue that could vaguely be related with prog (one song out of seven albums, that's not really much is it) ?,

This is a good album, three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144020) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 12, 2007

Review by Gooner
4 stars Rainbow called it quits on a high note with "Bent Out Of Shape"(until a one-shot reunion in 1995 with a new lead vocalist AND band). Many highlights on this album include the instrumentals "Snowman" and "Anybody There?". This is the Joe Lynn Turner Rainbow album where these musicians started to take more chances commercially, but as a result - became less commercial(funny how that happens!). "Deperate Heart"(a great Ritchie Blackmore acoustic intro) became a big radio hit on WLLZ and WRIF in Detroit back in the day...and I remember it getting as much airplay as "Street Of Dreams". As mentioned previously on this website, "Fire Dance" is another highlight...as it reminds me a bit of "Gypsy's Kiss" from the reunion Deep Purple - "Prefect Strangers" LP. Great production by Roger Glover. Rainbow's "Bent Out Of Shape" sits nice alongside Genesis - "Genesis" and Yes - "90125" from that year of 1983. 4 stars for a creative hard rock record.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#152799) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Bent out of shape is the last studio album from the'80's of this famous band. He was released in 1983 and most of the pieces from here are in the same vein with the predecesors (Turner era), but doesn't mean is bad, not by far. To me this is the best Rainbow album with Turner behind the microphone, every single piece here is a winner. Yes of course, again a hard rock album , the prog is absent all the way , but is a good one no doubt, at least for me. I always liked this band and almost every album appeal to me as good ones, some of them are really great ones like this one and Rising, the best albums Rainbow ever done. The mainstream orientation is again present here on every piece, some hard numebers with key passages here and there, the guitar shines as always, that's why Blackmore is considered one of the best guitar hero in history of music, just listen the cover version of Snowman, excellent. The voice of John Lynn Turner did a great job , he fits like a glove in this kind of music, for that reason he was invited in 1988 to do the vocal parts on one of the most intristing Malmsteen albums - Odyssey. So all in all a great album to my ears, very fine moments like:Fire Dance, Street Of Dreams, Fool For The Night, Snowman and the instrumental Anybody There. The new member behind the drums Chuch Burgi is a good drumer, no doubt, but doesn't have that mood and feeling of Powel, he doesn't shine, he only did a good job here. All in all a good album all the way and desearve a solid 3 stars, the best album of the 3 with Turner .

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#190590) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 27, 2008

Review by UMUR
1 stars Bent out of Shape is the seventh full-length studio album by UK hard rock/ heavy rock act Rainbow. Their last album Straight Between The Eyes (1982) failed to impress me much and to be honest it actually annoyed me quite a bit. So I wasn´t really expecting much from this album either. Unfortunately I got exactly what I expected from this album.

The music is melodic hard rock/ heavy rock deeply rooted in the early to mid eighties. Lots of cheesy sounding keyboards, a cliché of a hard rock/ heavy rock singer, a quite anonymous rythm section and a guitar hero in Ritchie Blackmore who mixes his blues rock/ hard rock past with some slight neo-classical ideas. If it wasn´t for the latter´s enjoyable solo work there would be nothing on this album worth my time. The songs are generic, weak and filled with every possible cheesy eighties hard rock/ heavy rock cliché you can imagine. Just check out the lyrics to a song like Can´t Let You Go. Don´t look furhter if you enjoy rain rhymes with pain lyrics. There are ten songs on the album. Two of them are instrumentals and the short Anybody There is somewhat enjoyable while the cover song Snowman comes off as some kind of new age version of the original with sporadic guitar soloing by Ritchie Blackmore which actually works as a disturbing element in the song and not an enhancement. I much prefer Nightwish version of the song ( entitled Walking in the Air) on the Oceanborn (1998) album. the eight remaining songs are more conventional hard rock/ heavy rock songs and what you feel about this genre is of course an aquired taste. I think the genre is generally generic and bland but there are of course exceptions that shines among the many trivial and cliché filled albums out there. Bent out of Shape is not one of them IMO. If I have to mention one positive thing on the album it´s the musicianship. The vocals are strong and the performance, while a bit uninspired at times, is pretty good. It´s just not enough.

In addition to the weak compositions on the album the production is rather thin. It lacks power which doesn´t help the already weak album.

Bent out of Shape is not an album I can recommend, but people who enjoy melodic hard rock/ heavy rock might find some redeeming features on the album. I can´t give more than a 1.5 star rating. The cheese factor is simply too much for me.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#237638) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 06, 2009

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars (Fullfillingness) first finale

Having hit on a formula for creating radio friendly pop rock music, Ritchie kept the same line up together one more time (except for a substitution on drums) for this the band's first final album. This is therefore pretty much a non-starter in prog terms, but that does not mean it should be avoided altogether.

I actually find there is plenty to enjoy here. We do of course have the obvious rehashes of songs which provided hits in the past, the opening "Stranded" being a thinly disguised amalgam of "I surrender" and "Can't happen here". Even here though we are treated to a fine if all too quick burst of Ritchie 's fine lead guitar.

It is though tracks such as"Can't let you go" which light my fire. The track features a "Toccata" like organ introduction by David Rosenthal before bursting into a highly melodic Blackmore/Turner song. Tuner actually sounds rather Dio like for the song, giving one of his finest vocal performances during his entire time with the band. "Fire dance" has a real Deep Purple feel, mixing "Fireball" and "Burn" with (relatively) more recent songs like "Not responsible". The driving organ sound is of course straight from the Jon Lord songbook.

"Anybody there" is a beautiful organ backed bluesy guitar instrumental in the Gary Moore vein, but it remains rather undeveloped. The other isntrumenal on the album is a surprising cover of "The snowman" ("walking in the air"). Surprising because it really is very good, bringing out the beauty of the underlying melody, upon which Ritchie improvises superbly. Those familiar with the more recent versions by Oceansize and Nightwish should check out this version too.

The single actually chosen from the album, "Street of dreams" is pure AOR in the Journey and REO Speedwagon mould. As such, it is melodic and pleasant, but completely disposable.

Lengthwise, there is no feature track here, just a collection of 3-4 minute pop rock numbers. This is though an album of significant underlying quality, albeit in fields other than prog. Recommended for fans of all things Blackmore.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#242912) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 04, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Last album from Rainbow first period of activity. Based on Blackmore-Glover-JL Turner triangle, the album contains melodic hard rock with some AOR elements and Blackmore-style characteristic neo-classic arrangements in some places.

Too pop-oriented to be good album, it still have some attractive moments in it. Perfect Blackmore guitar work, melodic elements and not-so-bad JL Turner vocals. If Turner's work in Deep Purple was terrible ( mostly because of difference between his voice and DP music ), he sounds much better in Rainbow. And there on this album he sounds better than on previous one.

I don't think this album is important in heavy rock history or even in Blackmore discography, but from another hand it is quite pleasant listening. And for sure must have for Rainbow fans.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#256268) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 15, 2009

4 stars Bent Out Of shape...years of remembrance 1983... Anyway, this is the best album of the Turner's era and a fine example of high quality AOR music, in my humble opinion. It's a fine collection of songs perfectly suited for Turner's voice who's vocal performance is exceptional in this album. Can't ... (read more)

Report this review (#190613) | Posted by Silent Knight | Thursday, November 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is Rainbow's lat album of the 80's and the most commercially driven. Despite this, Rainbow still manages to give a good album. Newest member Chuck Burgi does well behind the drums, and Joe Lynn Turner really shines here. The album seemes a tad forced though, there's nothing really creativ ... (read more)

Report this review (#107776) | Posted by rainbow111 | Wednesday, January 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RAINBOW "Bent Out Of Shape"