BENT OUT OF SHAPE

Good, but non-essential

Buy RAINBOW Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Stranded (4:30)
2. Can't Let You Go (4:24)
3. Fool For The Night (4:04)
4. Fire Dance (4:30)
5. Anybody There (2:44)
6. Desperate Heart (4:37)
7. Street Of Dreams (4:28)
8. Drinking With The Devil (3:44)
9. Snowman (4:33)
10. Make Your Move (5:25)

Search RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape lyrics

Search RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape tabs

- Joe Lynn Turner / vocals
- Ritchie Blackmore / guitar
- Chuck Burgi / drums
- David Rosenthal / keyboard
- Roger Glover / bass

Polydor POLD 5116

Thanks to tuxon for the addition

RAINBOW MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape Music

Very Best of RainbowVery Best of Rainbow
Polydor / Umgd 1997
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
RisingRising
Long Live Rock & RollLong Live Rock & Roll
Catch the Rainbow: The AnthologyCatch the Rainbow: The Anthology
Polydor / Pgd 2003
Down to EarthDown to Earth
Straight Between the EyesStraight Between the Eyes
Polydor / Umgd 1999
STEVE HILLAGE " RAINBOW DOME MUSICK "ORIGINAL RARE UK COPY ROCK LP 1979 EX+ US $19.99 Buy It Now 29m 58s
Evita Soundtrack CD! Madonna, Andrew Lloyd Webber, BUENOS AIRES, RAINBOW TOUR US $5.99 [0 bids]
36m 16s
ARNI EGILSSON - FROM THE RAINBOW NEW CD US $24.06 Buy It Now 41m 21s
DUKE ELLINGTON - LIVE AT THE RAINBOW GRILL 1967 (GAMBIT) CD NEW US $16.40 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Rainbow - Straight Between The Eyes SHM CD MINI LP UICY-93624 Japan OBI US $29.80 Buy It Now 1h 22m
MASAYOSHI TAKANAKA Rainbow Goblins LP Japan press 2 LPs insert obi US $19.95 [0 bids]
FRED ASTAIRE PETULA CLARK finian's rainbow LP Mint- BS 2550 Vinyl 1A/1A W7 1968 US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Rainbow Difficult To Cure CD NEW (UK Import) US $8.71 Buy It Now 1h 55m
JANE MONHEIT - LIVE AT THE RAINBOW ROOM NEW CD US $23.29 Buy It Now 2h
Wax Tailor - Dusty Rainbow From The Dark Vinyl Record LP US $23.22 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Bill Brandon - On The Rainbow Road CD US $21.76 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Firecharmers Rainbow EP 12" BONE01 VG/EX UK US $18.65 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DAVE FISCHOFF - OX & RAINBOW NEW CD US $20.97 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Black Rainbow US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Red Plastic Bag & Mac Fingall - Happiness CD 1993 RAINBOW WHIRL SOCA BARBADOS US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Rainbow Down to Earth LP POLD5023 VG/EX UK US $20.52 Buy It Now 2h 47m
RITCHIE BLACKMORE'S RAINBOW STRANGER IN US ALL JAPAN CD OBI 2500yen BVCP SEALED US $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Axel Rudi Pell - Mystica Promo CD Black Sabbath Ozzy Osbourne Rainbow Kiss US $16.66 [0 bids]
FINIAN'S RAINBOW / O.C.R. NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 3h
JOE SAMPLE RAINBOW SEEKER JAPAN CD OBI 3200yen 32XD US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
THELMA HOUSTON-RIDE TO THE RAINBOW-JAPAN CD B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 3h 4m
HKEd)Echoes Of The Rainbow(Blu-ray)Simon Yam~Perfect English Subtitle~Region ALL US $13.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
the DELLS Sing a Rainbow, Love is Blue, Hallelujah Baby '69 UK CHESS 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
HEAVY LIGHTS ON DISCO PANORAMIC STEREO MEGA RARE!!!! RAINBOW DISCO HOP HOP ..:) US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
LINDA ARNOLD - BROADWAY FOR KIDS AT THE RAINBOW PALACE NEW CD US $20.20 Buy It Now 3h 19m
MARIAH CAREY RAINBOW ULTRA RARE RUSSIAN ORIGINAL CD BRAND NEW SEALED OOP!! US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
LP "Rainbow Stew" by Merle Haggard Recorded Live at Anaheim Stadium US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Eva Cassidy Over The Rainbow / Dark End Of The Street Australian CD Single US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Catch The Rainbow: The Anthology US $16.92 Buy It Now 3h 44m
RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape 180gm Green Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $30.47 Buy It Now 3h 48m
RAINBOW "STRAIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES " CASSETTE TAPE RARE US $28.19 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Sealed! GEORGE DUKE Follow The Rainbow JAPAN CD ESCA-7884 US $56.55 Buy It Now 3h 59m
The Voices Of Rainbow - Live Osaka Japan 9/27/10 Joe Lynn Turner,Graham Bonnet US $50.00 [0 bids]
4h
THE BEATLES HELP GATEFOLD COVER LP CAPITOL RAINBOW LABEL STEREO 791 US $18.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m
rainbow - worlds greatest artists - up close and personal NEW DVD US $17.62 Buy It Now 4h 28m
RONNIE JAMES DIO (Rainbow/Black Sabbath/Dio) - 1990s Magazine Poster US $7.64 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Al Jolson The Jolson Story Decca, Rainbow Round my Shoulder RECORD VERY RARE US $5.57 [0 bids]
ORIGINAL CAST finian's rainbow LP Mint- LSO 1057 Vinyl 1966 Record US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 33m
ADDISON GROOVE - Adventures In Rainbow - 12" US $20.54 Buy It Now 4h 36m
AL JARREAU - RAINBOW IN YOUR EYES 7" VINYL US $10.17 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Rainbow Bent Out Of Shape LP NEW US $28.35 Buy It Now 4h 43m
78 1918-1922 Joseph Samuels "You're the One" "When the Rainbow of Love Appears" US $6.44 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Klaxons Gravitys rainbow 7" RINSE003S EX/EX UK US $12.12 Buy It Now 4h 48m
@ CD Tony Carey - The Story So Fare RARE AOR TELDEC RAINBOW US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow - Stranger In Us All NEW CD US $8.15 Buy It Now 5h
FRANKIE AVALON Swingin' On A Rainbow CHANCELLOR Mono NM With Poster US $69.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
THE MARSHALL TUCKER BAND Searchin' For a Rainbow US $0.99 [0 bids]
Jane Monheit - Live At The Rainbow Room CD US $19.24 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Over The Rainbow - Songs From The Movies CD US $13.36 Buy It Now 5h 31m
RAINBOW:RAINBOW ON STAGE US $11.87 Buy It Now 5h 31m
RAINBOW:RAINBOW RISING US $11.87 Buy It Now 5h 32m
STEVE MILLER BAND brave new world LP VG+ SKAO-184 Capitol Rainbow 1969 USA US $36.00 Buy It Now 5h 34m
T. Riley - Rainbow In Curved/Poppy Nogood CD US $11.81 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Rainbow - Catch The Rainbow: Anthology CD US $22.96 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Spano Atlanta Symphony Orch. - Rainbow Body CD US $19.31 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Jozef Dumoulin Trio - Rainbow Body CD US $22.16 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Aucan - Black Rainbow CD US $26.57 Buy It Now 5h 39m
THEOFANIDIS / BARBER / COPLAND / HIGDON / SPANO - RAINBOW BODY / NEW CD US $23.29 Buy It Now 5h 39m
GARY MOORE-BACK ON THE STREETS LP LIKE THIN LIZZY,RAINBOW,RUSH,DEEP PURPLE,DEMON US $15.99 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Deep Purple/Rainbow King Biscuit Flower Hour CD David Coverdale Ronnie James Dio US $30.00 [0 bids]
NWOBHM DIO RAINBOW IN THE DARK 12" UK SINGLE 1983 VERTIGO US $16.97 Buy It Now 5h 43m
K-POP Girl BAND RAINBOW Japanese Debut Album Over the Rainbow Limited Edition US $26.75 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Tracie Bennett - End Of The Rainbow CD US $21.29 Buy It Now 5h 50m
JOHNNY CONQUET "PIANO MERENGUE / CHA CHA CHA" RAINBOW LP-122 EX- VINYL US $24.99 [0 bids]
ESY MORALES / GOMEZ "RHUMBA FAVORITES" 10" RAINBOW LP-703 VG++ VINYL US $24.99 [0 bids]
Jack Jones - Chase The Rainbow CD US $11.49 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Rainbow Cozy Powell Tilt Japan Orig.PROMO LP OBI WHITE LABEL NM US $19.99 [0 bids]
Wax Tailor - Dusty Rainbow From The Dark CD US $15.11 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Daria - Beautiful Rainbow World CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Erik Norby - Rainbow Snake: Orchestral Songs & Symphonic Works CD US $20.19 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Cobra Juicy CD US $16.11 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Rainbow Band CD US $14.41 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Rainbow - On Stage:Deluxe Edition CD US $26.77 Buy It Now 6h 6m
BOB THOMPSON 7 In 7 Out RAINBOW LP SEALED US $8.00 [0 bids]
Anthony Gilbert - On Beholding A Rainbow CD US $22.16 Buy It Now 6h 7m
RAINBOW long live rock 'n' roll Japan MINI LP SHM-CD (2cd) US $55.00 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Dave Fischoff - Ox & Rainbow CD US $17.29 Buy It Now 6h 9m
? Don't Leave Me Alone / Rainbow - Happy Hardcore / Rave 12" Vinyl !!! ? US $83.18 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Panta Rhei - Rainbow Dancer CD US $16.02 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Rainbow - Very Best Of Rainbow CD US $14.46 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Rainbow - Pot Of Gold CD US $13.85 Buy It Now 6h 17m
Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 6h 17m
Rainbow - Rainbow Rising CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 6h 17m
Rainbow - On Stage CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 6h 17m
Rainbow - Down To Earth CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 6h 17m

More places to buy RAINBOW music online Buy RAINBOW & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RAINBOW DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

RAINBOW Bent Out Of Shape reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars I remember reading in a "Hit Parader" magazine from 1983 or 1984 that by that time there were rumours of a reunion of Blackmore and Glover with Gillan, Lord and Paice for a new Deep Purple period. The interview in that magazine was done with Blackmore, who said : "yes, there are some plans, and this is the only line-up of that band in which I have interest to work with". But he also said that there were some problems for the reunion because Gillan was with Black Sabbath and Paice was working with another musician as session musician. Finally, that reunion happened in 1984, and this was the last Rainbow`s album from the `80s.

I really didn`t buy this album. In 1992 my brother (a guitarist) and me were playing with a semi-professional (we only played gigs on weekends) covers band, and the singer of that band had this album, which he exchanged with my brother with Gentle Giant`s "Three Friends" album (which we didn`t like). The idea to have another Rainbow`s album was more interesting for us instead to have a Gentle Giant`s album which we didn`t play anymore. So, when we listened to this 1983 Rainbow`s album, we were disppointed a lot, so this album, like "Three Friends", remained in the "not listened anymore" records section!

This is a "conventional" Arena Pop Rock album from the eighties. The singer, Joe Lynn Turner, is very good, but the songs are not interesting, and Blackmore`s playing is also very "conventional", like Glover`s. Maybe this could be called a "contract filler" album due to the plans to reform Deep Purple. This album was promoted with a last tour in 1983-84, with a concert with an orchestra. There is nothing Progressive in this album, in my opinion.

For Rainbow`s greatest fans and collectors only, IMO.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#101477) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 03, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars One reason for me to purchase the CD was just to complete my collection of Ritchie Blackmore's album. I could not believe at that time that the band ended up with releasing this relatively "weak" album. Oh yes, there is "Street of Dreams" which became radio hit at that time. But, unfortunately this song is not quite strong musically - it's just a mediocre pop rock music I would say. I think Rainbow's peak when they reached second album "Rising" followed with legendary concert "On Stage". "Drinking With The Devil" and "Snowman" are actually good track but both could not help the overall album rating which I think it's worth only for collectors. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#135839) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars So, this is the final "Rainbow" album (first period). It is about time for a "Purple" reunion by now. Not that the band released poor albums, but if you except "Rising" there were really nothing great released by the band in terms of studio work.

"Cant Let You Go" is a catchy pop song which features a good solo from the master. Enjoyable but not unforgetable. Like "Fool For The Night" and its upbeat tempo but too AOR oriented for me. Still, one of the best one from this album. One of my fave is "Fire Dance". A solid hard-rock anthem with a wild beat (almost as strong as "Fireball" - the track). The highlight of "Bent Out". No doubt. Great guitar again. A true "Purple" song (but we are getting closer and closer to the reunion)...

Another track that I like very much is the instrumental "Anybody There". It is one of the most emotional solo from Ritchie ("Purple" and "Rainbow" together). A very melodic and brilliant hymn to the guitar. What a pity that it only lasts for 2'38". And even if "Street Of Dreams" is on the pop side, it is also a very melodic song. Straight-forward rock song, on the smooth side. Maybe that some will argue about its mellowish accent (rightly) but I like it. It is not a masterpiece of course, but an enjoyable song.

Surprisingly enoough, I would say that this album is better than most of the "Rainbow" output. "Drinking With The Devil" (this must be quite an experience. Maybe I'll share this one in the after life - but I do not believe too much in this, well this is a bit of a diversion, sorry for this...).

It is really another great rock song with a fantastic rhythm. If only "Rainbow" had produced more songs of this caliber... Joe Lynn turner even trying to emulate Gillan here (not too badly actually).

Not prog for a ? cent (although "Snowman" is probably the only track of their entire catalogue that could vaguely be related with prog (one song out of seven albums, that's not really much is it) ?,

This is a good album, three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144020) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 12, 2007

Review by Gooner
4 stars Rainbow called it quits on a high note with "Bent Out Of Shape"(until a one-shot reunion in 1995 with a new lead vocalist AND band). Many highlights on this album include the instrumentals "Snowman" and "Anybody There?". This is the Joe Lynn Turner Rainbow album where these musicians started to take more chances commercially, but as a result - became less commercial(funny how that happens!). "Deperate Heart"(a great Ritchie Blackmore acoustic intro) became a big radio hit on WLLZ and WRIF in Detroit back in the day...and I remember it getting as much airplay as "Street Of Dreams". As mentioned previously on this website, "Fire Dance" is another highlight...as it reminds me a bit of "Gypsy's Kiss" from the reunion Deep Purple - "Prefect Strangers" LP. Great production by Roger Glover. Rainbow's "Bent Out Of Shape" sits nice alongside Genesis - "Genesis" and Yes - "90125" from that year of 1983. 4 stars for a creative hard rock record.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#152799) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Bent out of shape is the last studio album from the'80's of this famous band. He was released in 1983 and most of the pieces from here are in the same vein with the predecesors (Turner era), but doesn't mean is bad, not by far. To me this is the best Rainbow album with Turner behind the microphone, every single piece here is a winner. Yes of course, again a hard rock album , the prog is absent all the way , but is a good one no doubt, at least for me. I always liked this band and almost every album appeal to me as good ones, some of them are really great ones like this one and Rising, the best albums Rainbow ever done. The mainstream orientation is again present here on every piece, some hard numebers with key passages here and there, the guitar shines as always, that's why Blackmore is considered one of the best guitar hero in history of music, just listen the cover version of Snowman, excellent. The voice of John Lynn Turner did a great job , he fits like a glove in this kind of music, for that reason he was invited in 1988 to do the vocal parts on one of the most intristing Malmsteen albums - Odyssey. So all in all a great album to my ears, very fine moments like:Fire Dance, Street Of Dreams, Fool For The Night, Snowman and the instrumental Anybody There. The new member behind the drums Chuch Burgi is a good drumer, no doubt, but doesn't have that mood and feeling of Powel, he doesn't shine, he only did a good job here. All in all a good album all the way and desearve a solid 3 stars, the best album of the 3 with Turner .

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#190590) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 27, 2008

Review by UMUR
1 stars Bent out of Shape is the seventh full-length studio album by UK hard rock/ heavy rock act Rainbow. Their last album Straight Between The Eyes (1982) failed to impress me much and to be honest it actually annoyed me quite a bit. So I wasn´t really expecting much from this album either. Unfortunately I got exactly what I expected from this album.

The music is melodic hard rock/ heavy rock deeply rooted in the early to mid eighties. Lots of cheesy sounding keyboards, a cliché of a hard rock/ heavy rock singer, a quite anonymous rythm section and a guitar hero in Ritchie Blackmore who mixes his blues rock/ hard rock past with some slight neo-classical ideas. If it wasn´t for the latter´s enjoyable solo work there would be nothing on this album worth my time. The songs are generic, weak and filled with every possible cheesy eighties hard rock/ heavy rock cliché you can imagine. Just check out the lyrics to a song like Can´t Let You Go. Don´t look furhter if you enjoy rain rhymes with pain lyrics. There are ten songs on the album. Two of them are instrumentals and the short Anybody There is somewhat enjoyable while the cover song Snowman comes off as some kind of new age version of the original with sporadic guitar soloing by Ritchie Blackmore which actually works as a disturbing element in the song and not an enhancement. I much prefer Nightwish version of the song ( entitled Walking in the Air) on the Oceanborn (1998) album. the eight remaining songs are more conventional hard rock/ heavy rock songs and what you feel about this genre is of course an aquired taste. I think the genre is generally generic and bland but there are of course exceptions that shines among the many trivial and cliché filled albums out there. Bent out of Shape is not one of them IMO. If I have to mention one positive thing on the album it´s the musicianship. The vocals are strong and the performance, while a bit uninspired at times, is pretty good. It´s just not enough.

In addition to the weak compositions on the album the production is rather thin. It lacks power which doesn´t help the already weak album.

Bent out of Shape is not an album I can recommend, but people who enjoy melodic hard rock/ heavy rock might find some redeeming features on the album. I can´t give more than a 1.5 star rating. The cheese factor is simply too much for me.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#237638) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 06, 2009

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars (Fullfillingness) first finale

Having hit on a formula for creating radio friendly pop rock music, Ritchie kept the same line up together one more time (except for a substitution on drums) for this the band's first final album. This is therefore pretty much a non-starter in prog terms, but that does not mean it should be avoided altogether.

I actually find there is plenty to enjoy here. We do of course have the obvious rehashes of songs which provided hits in the past, the opening "Stranded" being a thinly disguised amalgam of "I surrender" and "Can't happen here". Even here though we are treated to a fine if all too quick burst of Ritchie 's fine lead guitar.

It is though tracks such as"Can't let you go" which light my fire. The track features a "Toccata" like organ introduction by David Rosenthal before bursting into a highly melodic Blackmore/Turner song. Tuner actually sounds rather Dio like for the song, giving one of his finest vocal performances during his entire time with the band. "Fire dance" has a real Deep Purple feel, mixing "Fireball" and "Burn" with (relatively) more recent songs like "Not responsible". The driving organ sound is of course straight from the Jon Lord songbook.

"Anybody there" is a beautiful organ backed bluesy guitar instrumental in the Gary Moore vein, but it remains rather undeveloped. The other isntrumenal on the album is a surprising cover of "The snowman" ("walking in the air"). Surprising because it really is very good, bringing out the beauty of the underlying melody, upon which Ritchie improvises superbly. Those familiar with the more recent versions by Oceansize and Nightwish should check out this version too.

The single actually chosen from the album, "Street of dreams" is pure AOR in the Journey and REO Speedwagon mould. As such, it is melodic and pleasant, but completely disposable.

Lengthwise, there is no feature track here, just a collection of 3-4 minute pop rock numbers. This is though an album of significant underlying quality, albeit in fields other than prog. Recommended for fans of all things Blackmore.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#242912) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 04, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Last album from Rainbow first period of activity. Based on Blackmore-Glover-JL Turner triangle, the album contains melodic hard rock with some AOR elements and Blackmore-style characteristic neo-classic arrangements in some places.

Too pop-oriented to be good album, it still have some attractive moments in it. Perfect Blackmore guitar work, melodic elements and not-so-bad JL Turner vocals. If Turner's work in Deep Purple was terrible ( mostly because of difference between his voice and DP music ), he sounds much better in Rainbow. And there on this album he sounds better than on previous one.

I don't think this album is important in heavy rock history or even in Blackmore discography, but from another hand it is quite pleasant listening. And for sure must have for Rainbow fans.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#256268) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 15, 2009

4 stars Bent Out Of shape...years of remembrance 1983... Anyway, this is the best album of the Turner's era and a fine example of high quality AOR music, in my humble opinion. It's a fine collection of songs perfectly suited for Turner's voice who's vocal performance is exceptional in this album. Can't ... (read more)

Report this review (#190613) | Posted by Silent Knight | Thursday, November 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is Rainbow's lat album of the 80's and the most commercially driven. Despite this, Rainbow still manages to give a good album. Newest member Chuck Burgi does well behind the drums, and Joe Lynn Turner really shines here. The album seemes a tad forced though, there's nothing really creativ ... (read more)

Report this review (#107776) | Posted by rainbow111 | Wednesday, January 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RAINBOW "Bent Out Of Shape"