SUPERNATURAL

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. (Da Le) Yalleo (5:51)
2. Love of My Life (5:48)
3. Put Your Lights On (4:47)
4. Africa Bamba (4:40)
5. Smooth (4:56)
6. Do You Like the Way (5:52)
7. Maria, Maria (4:21)
8. Migra (5:24)
9. Corazon Espinado (4:32)
10. Wishing It Was (4:59)
11. El Farol (4:49)

- Jimmy Keegan / drums
- Karl Perazzo / congas, timbales, percussion, background vocals
- Raul Rekow / congas

CD Arista 19080 (1999)

Thanks to rekabat for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Supernatural Music

Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
Remastered
Santana 3Santana 3
Sbme Special Mkts. 1998
Zebop, Santana, Good US $7.70 Buy It Now 29m 37s
Santana Mahavishnu Love Devotion Surrender VG++ Psych/Jazz 1973 Sri Chinmoy US $4.99 [0 bids]
44m 14s
Santana - Abraxas - CBS 64087 - LP Vinyl Record #santana US $24.34 Buy It Now 56m 59s
Keep On Rockin' vinyl 4x LP EX 1986 SANTANA Box Tops TURTLES Lovin' Spoonful US $15.95 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Santana ?- Supernatural - Cassette US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
SANTANA SANTANA ABRAXAS 1st ISRAELI LP CBS ELECTRIC GUITAR ROCK VINYL US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Devadip Carlos Santana-the swing of delight.lp US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
SANTANA MOONFLOWER ISRAELI 2 LP GATEFOLD HEBREW CBS ELECTRIC GUITAR ROCK VINYL US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Santana/Mother Earth (AKARMA) MINI LP CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Santana ?- Batuka / Everybody's Everything 7" Turkish Edt. Free P+P Top Rarity US $100.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Jay Bezel Ft Juelz Santana Y'All Ain't Gangsta #174199 US $4.85 Buy It Now 2h 29m
SANTANA - PERSUASION - QUALITY CHECKED CD + FAST FREE POST US $4.69 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Juelz Santana - Down - Roc-A-Fella - 2003 #137116 US $4.85 Buy It Now 2h 30m
SANTANA greatest hits 1974 ITALIAN CASSETTE first press US $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Girlfight Original Soundtrack - CD - NEW Theodore Shapiro Remy Martin Santana US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
SANTANA / FRIED NECKBONES & HOME FRIES 2tapes US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
SANTANA SHANGO 1982 JAPAN GOLD CD 3500yen 35DP 1ST PRESS US $99.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
W.L. Promo - 12" - SANTANA - WELL ALL RIGHT - Vinyl Record is MINT - Sleeve VG+ US $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 13m
va - WOODSTOCK Japan 1989 NM Laser Disc WHO/SANTANA+ US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Santana - Shango/30th Anniversary Edition CD US $17.20 Buy It Now 4h 36m
SANTANA - THE ESSENTIAL SANTANA [SONY] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $13.41 Buy It Now 4h 43m
SANTANA S/T DEBUT ORIGINAL 2 EYE COLUMBIA VG+ VINYL US $13.91 [0 bids]
SANTANA 1976 TOUR PROGRAM WITH TICKET US $149.99 Buy It Now 4h 56m
SANTANA VIVA SANTANA! CASSETTE VG++ BOX AND BOOKLET US $11.92 [0 bids]
Santana's Greatest Hits Santana Audio CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 2m
John Lee Hooker Mr Lucky ft Carlos Santana + Cassette Tape - TESTED US $5.28 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Santana Dance of the Rainbow Serpant Box set US $17.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA black magic woman JAPAN 7" CBSA82089 kR4 US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
SANTANA - Well All Right - Excellent Condition 12" Single CBS 12 6755 US $11.35 Buy It Now 5h 10m
SANTANA - DANCE OF THE RAINBOW SERPENT [BOX] - NEW CD BOXSET US $35.99 Buy It Now 5h 14m
SANTANA TWO RECORD DEAL VINYL LP'S US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 22m
SANTANA 7"Single-All I Ever Wanted/Love, EX+ US $11.35 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Santana-"Caravanserai" Japan mini lp cd US $23.00 [0 bids]
Omar Santana - Hardcore For The Headstrong 5 NEW CD US $14.25 Buy It Now 5h 41m
SANTANA she's not there JAPAN 7" 06SP191 kR4 US $7.19 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Milagro by Santana (CD, May-1992, Polydor) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Spirits Dancing in the Flesh by Santana (CD, Jul-1990, Columbia (USA)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana John McLaughlin Love Devotion Surrrender 1st 1B 1973 Press, CLEAN US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Santana Borboletta 1974 1A 1st Press, CLEAN, VG+, Rare CLASSIC! US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 51m
SANTANA - Abraxas (reissue) - gatefold limited numbered 180 gram vinyl LP US $52.10 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Santana~Original OZ LP Borboletta NM 1974 Latin Rock Blues Carlos Santana US $17.11 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Santana~Original OZ LP Amigos NM 1976 Latin Rock Blues rock Carlos Santana US $17.11 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Santana~Original OZ ST 1st LP NM 1969 Latin Acid Rock Carlos Santana US $17.11 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Santana~Analogue OZ Reissue LP Abraxas VG+ Latin Psyche Rock Carlos Santana US $12.60 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Santana~Original New Zealand LP Welcome EX 1973 Jazz fusion Latin Rock US $13.50 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Santana~Original US 2XLP Moonflower EX 1977 Latin Rock Jazz Rock Fusion US $18.01 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Santana~Origina OZ LP Inner secrets EX 1978 Latin Rock Blues Rock Carlos Santana US $13.50 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Santana~Origina OZ LP Marathon VG+ 1979 Latin Rock Blues Rock Carlos Santana US $12.60 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Carlos Santana~Original OZ 2XLP Swing of delight NM 1980 Latin Rock Jazz Rock US $14.40 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Santana's Greatest Hits Santana Audio CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Between Good and Evil by Carlos Santana (CD, Sep-1996, Sony Music Distribution) US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h
ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE VOL 3 - KRIS KROSS; CHAMPS; BUSTER POINDEXTER; SANTANA; US $3.74 Buy It Now 6h 4m
DRIVING CD SANTANA KULA SHAKER SPIN DOCTORS SANTANA BOSTON MEAT LOAF BYRDS MAC US $4.79 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana-they all went to mexico.7" US $8.12 Buy It Now 6h 6m
SANTANA BEYOND APPEARANCES LP ORIGINAL INNER SLEEVE 729 US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 18m
SANTANA all i ever wanted 7" CS EX/EX uk cbs US $11.35 Buy It Now 6h 19m
ROCK CLASSICS VOL. 2 CD** VERY RARE**SANTANA, FOGHAT, JAMES GANG, JETHRO TULL US $4.99 [0 bids]
Santana Debut Album 4 track (Columbia Records) Reel to Reel Stereo US $9.38 [4 bids]
Willie Nelson Duets LP Half Nelson 1985 Neil Young Santana George Jones M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 41m
SANTANA Abraxas FIRST RECORDS Stereo ASIAN PRESSING Shrink US $9.01 Buy It Now 6h 47m
GREAT FOR JUKE BOX -CHEAP TRICK,STYX, FIREFALL, SANTANA & MORE- 100 VARIOUS 45'S US $17.99 [0 bids]
Live at the Fillmore 1968 by Santana (CD, Mar-1997, 2 Discs, Columbia/Legacy) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Santana: Amigos JAPANESE EX+ LP + obi + INSERT US $31.64 Buy It Now 7h 8m
MALO Ascencion SEALED 1974 8 track tape cartridge NEW Santana US $7.49 [0 bids]
MUSICARDS 1991 Pro Set Music Card No 248 Historic Concert BB KING US $4.79 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Santana III by Santana LP (1971, Columbia KC30595) VG + US $1.99 [0 bids]
Santana, Alice Coltrane ~ Illumanations/ Japan LP/ Sheet Inner Sleeve US $13.49 Buy It Now 7h 28m
SANTANA - INNER SECRETS [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $5.27 Buy It Now 7h 29m
SANTANA -Col 1064- Just in Time to See the Sun - DJ VG+ US $12.60 Buy It Now 7h 34m
Santana - 'Welcome' 1973 UK CBS LP embossed G/F. Ex! US $12.97 Buy It Now 7h 35m
SANTANA ZEBOP lp, RATED ONE OF HIS BEST ALBUMS,(I'm)"WINNING" SONG, SEALED MINT! US $14.95 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Santana - 'Greatest Hits' 1974 UK CBS LP w/sticker. Ex! US $9.72 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Black Magic Woman Santana The Best of Superb CD album US $7.79 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Santana LP "Santana 3", 1971 Columbia, Classic Rock US $6.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA - FESTIVAL (RARE SAUDI TAPE/CASSETTE ALBUM) US $3.23 Buy It Now 7h 43m
SANTANA - MARATHON (RARE 747 SAUDI TAPE/CASSETTE ALBUM) US $3.23 Buy It Now 7h 45m
SANTANA - BEYOND APPEARANCES (RARE 747 SAUDI TAPE/CASSETTE ALBUM) US $3.23 Buy It Now 7h 46m
SANTANA - INNER SECRETS (RARE 747 SAUDI TAPE/CASSETTE ALBUM) US $3.23 Buy It Now 7h 47m
SANTANA - SANTANA (SELF TITLED) (RARE 747 SAUDI TAPE/CASSETTE ALBUM) US $3.23 Buy It Now 7h 47m
GUITAR WARS-EIGHT BANDS-VINYL-NM-SANTANA-LOVERBOY-JOURNEY-JUDAS PRIEST US $5.99 [0 bids]
8h
SANTANA - ABRAXAS VINTAGE CASSETTE TAPE TESTED LATE NITE BARGAIN! US $2.00 Buy It Now 8h 3m
V.A.Corso Como: Love 3 3cd's Box Set w/Marvin Gaye, Santana, Duke Ellington US $13.95 [0 bids]
Shaman by Santana (CD, Oct-2002, Arista) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Santana Marathon 1979 1st POGO Press, STEAM CLEANED, Audiophile Sound Quality! US $24.00 Buy It Now 8h 7m
The Sunset Lounge Orchestra - Santana Cool Dow (NEW CD) US $11.75 Buy It Now 8h 8m
Santana : Santana/Abraxas (2CDs) (2009) US $15.88 Buy It Now 8h 13m
SANTANA '71 3rd LP after Abraxas KC30595 "Everybody's Everything" NM- US $25.00 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Rock Classics of the 60s VA CD Byrds, Dylan, BST, Raiders, Santana, Janis Joplin US $2.49 [1 bids]
SANTANA - SANTANA/SANTANA III [BOX] - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.50 Buy It Now 8h 32m
SANTANA LOT 4 LPs 1st Album / Lotus / Festival / Devotion w/ John McLaughlin US $9.99 [0 bids]
Santana(Vinyl LP)Marathon-CBS-86098-UK-VG/VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 40m
SANTANA CARAVANSERAI QUADRAPHONIC COLUMBIA ! US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
HERBIE HANCOCK NM- Monster CBS 84237 Santana Mouzon Bill Champlin Ray Parker Jr. US $13.56 Buy It Now 8h 42m
SANTANA: EUROPA (EARTH'S CRY, HEAVEN'S SMILE)/ TAKE ME WITH YOU 1976 US $4.85 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Santana(Vinyl LP)Viva! The Very Best Of-K Tel-NE 1338-UK-VG+/NM US $14.59 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Santana _ Mother Earth AKARMA Vinyl MINT US $49.85 Buy It Now 8h 53m
SANTANA "Welcome" LP record gatefold John McLaughlin US $14.95 Buy It Now 8h 54m
SANTANA - SUPERNATURAL (1999) 13 tracks (VGC) CD * FREE POST!! US $6.89 Buy It Now 8h 57m
BOB DYLAN / SANTANA USED TICKET CAL EXPO AMPHITHETARE SACRAMENTO , CA , USA US $16.22 [0 bids]
SANTANA - SANTANA US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 4m

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Supernatural ratings distribution

SANTANA Supernatural reviews

Review by Chris S
3 stars This album is probably Santana's biggest hit sales wise ever! Supernatural stayed on the american album charts for over a year. Carlos Santana collaborated with numerous artists to create a blend of AOR/Hip Hop/Jazz fusion/Latin Rock, you name it genre wise it was there. For me not my favourite Santana albums but one cannot deny CS's enormous ability at working with some of the finest musicians to create an almost addictive listen. Highlights on this very mixed bag are '( Da Le ) Yalello', 'Put Your Lights On' and the lovely ' Primavera' It is great to see the talented Eagle Eye Cherry contributing as is Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews and Lauryn Hill to name but a few.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104816) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars As far as I am concerned, the last good album released by Santana was "Zebop" in 1981. With all the fuss around this album, I was quite interested in hearing if it was justified (to my standards, which might not coïncide with the Grammy Awards jury...).

The opening track is a good surprise I must say. Lyrics (which are printed on the booklet) are rather weak but the rythm of the song is quite pleasant, so let's not be too critical here. It reminds me of the "Welcome" atmosphere. Good start.

"Love Of My Life" is a great latin ballad with very good guitar work. Although this song is co-written with Dave Matthews (lead vocals on this number), the lyrics showed the deepest inclination for human feelings. In this case love : "You're the love of my life, And the breath in my prayers, Take my hand, lead me there, What I need is You Here". What a drip ! Besides that, it is a good track.

"Put Your Lights On" is somewhat heavy at times. It is written by Erik Schrody (real name of Everlast, the rapper). He is also performing the lead vocals on this number. It is not the best number on this album, but it's not too bad either.

"Africa Bamba" is a good latin-rock piece like Santana produced ages ago. It's not a great track but after so many desillusions, it would have appeared as a highlight on his previous albums. Lyrics (in Spanish here) are again somewhat childish : "Estoy llamando a todas las morenas (I call all the brunettes), Y la llamada la viene da la luz (and the chosen one comes from the light), Con calma se baila esta danza (this piece is danced with calm), Y con amor canto yo esta canción (and I sing this song with love). Forgettable these lyrics...

"Smooth" is well-known. It will be one of the songs which will hit the charts. Rob Thomas has co-written the track (but not with Carlos). It's a catchy and warm song. Great atmosphere. The video clip was also very good. It is one of the highlights. It features great guitar work and that's a real pleasure. It has been ages that so much guitar was heard on a Santana album. But that was their essence, so it's only a come back to the roots, right ?

"Do You Like the Way" is a R&B/rap one. The lead vocals and the song writing was due to Lauryn Hill (The Fugees). She was nominated eleven times for the Grammy Awards in 1999 of which she won five categories : best artist, best record , best R&B song, best R&B album and best R&B singer. This track is one of the weakest on Supernatural together with "Wishing It Was" and "Mira".

"María, María" is the other "smash" hit of this album. Some flamenco flavour combined with some rap ones. Unexpected combination but rather interesting.

"Corazón Espinado" has all the ingredients of "María, María" : catchy melody, great latin rythm with nice percussions and good guitar. It's a love song telling us the feeling of an abandoned lover. It's better not to understand Spanish because, again, the lyrics are rather poor and childish. The song as such is one of my fave on this album.

"El Farol" is a beautiful and inspired intrumental (you know a la "Samba Pa' Ti"). Emotional as usual. "Primavera" is another good number : nice and smooth song with good guitar. I guess that any Santana fan can be happy with that !

The closing number "The Calling" features Eric Clapton on the lead guitar : the cycle is now completed. In an interview in which he was asked which guitar player he liked the most, Clapton answered : Carlos Santana because he is the most emotional one. I guess that both of them really enjoyed to play together.

This very long number (the longest one on a studio album), starts alright but turns into a funky kind of jam for most of it. I do not really like it. The last part is beautiful though, with its Spanish-like guitar sound. Very melodious. They should have cut this number to a five minutes one !

I do not know if this album was the best one in 1999 and if all those awards were rightly granted. This album if of course not a masterpiece (IMO at least).What I know, for sure, is that I have heard Santana again. The one I like.

Guitar is more dominent on this album than in his previous releases. Although lyrics are pretty weak (almost all the way through), the different vocalists bring a special touch and sound definitely better than the usual Santana ones (even Thomas sounds better here than on "Welcome"). I could never stand Greg Walker nor Alex Ligertwood. The guests also add a creative value in terms of composition. It was probably what Carlos had missed during all these years. It's a pleasure to listen to this CD.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#112170) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars I agree that this album must be the best selling album by Santana even though I don't know exactly the sales figure. I can sense this thru how popular this album or at least some songs in this album in many places in my country. Of course the most favorite (popular) song is "Smooth" as it's so common that this song is regularly played by many cafés, or even at the shopping malls right here in my country. I admit that this is a good song where Rob Thomas as guest vocalist. His voice is quite similar with Sting (The Police) and the song has very good arrangement in R&B style but still maintaining the guitar sound of Santana. The other popular song is "Maria Maria" which I think serve the second popular song in my country. Almost everywhere I dine in any café or resraurant, the local band plays these two songs. "Maria Maria" sometimes is played in acoustic setting.

In addition to those popular songs, I find some tracks that are very good as well and they still represent the sounds of early Santana like the opening track "(Da Le) Yalleo" (5:51). At lest I can hear that the guitar style is really like early albums of Santana. I also like another R&B song "Love of My Life" (5:48). "Africa Bamba" (4:40) is also another interesting track.

Whatever you might think about Santana, I admire Santana on the way he has survived for decades with many changes of his style and bandmates. Through this album he collaborates with many musicians with different backgrounds - which none of them are proghead. Keep on proggin' ..! (sometimes, as proghead, we need to enjoy this kind of music .)

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#120962) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by Zitro
3 stars Carlos Santana's Comeback, sort of. His guitar playing is much improved and dominant in this recording, but this is by no means a latin jazz-rock masterpiece like his early albums. It is just a collection of good pop songs and some other tunes that focuses on the instrumental side. Guest stars are all over the album, forcing this already-diverse album to be even more. Unfortunately, such high diversity hurts my enjoyment of the album slightly, and Carlos Santana sometimes sounds like a guest to other bands, rather than being the star. The music is generally catchy and accessible, with some vocals in Spanish. Add 0.2 Stars if you don't speak Spanish . The reason is because the lyrics are awful. Just read ZowieZiggy's lyrical quotes or check the lyrics out in a website.

Due to lack of reviews, I'll go "track by track"

'(Da Le) Taleo' is a pretty fun piece, with a catchy piano riff that helps the danceable rhythm. The song is pretty diverse and shows what "Supernatural" is about (including dumb lyrics). (B)

'Love of My Life' has constrained and melodic guitar playing and is really just a ballad that turns into a salsa groove in the second half. Not bad at all. (B-)

'Put Your Lights On' is a bit less interesting with the rapper guest speaking more than singing. The song is mainly soft or acoustic song but there is a heavy outbursts in the middle. (C)

'Africa Bamba' has some terrible lyrics but it is a harmless nice mid-tempo latin tune that unfortunately turns into a salsa groove in the wrong moment. (C-)

When the album appeared to go on a downward slope, 'Smooth' proves the listeners wrong. A huge commercial success that is more worthy than most extremely popular tunes in the radio. It is a nice listen, with its catchy rhythm, good vocal performances, great guitar work, and an irresistible happy atmosphere. (B+)

'Do You Like The Way' is a rock&blues song marred by the female hip-hop vocals and the feel that this song just doesn't have the atmosphere present in the rest of the album. I just don't enjoy it much. (D+)

'Maria Maria' was another commercial success and is an adventurous and very good composition that blends rap, flamenco, and latin successfully, as weird as that sounds. The chorus has a great guitar line. (B)

'Migra' is a song that showcases Santana's great guitar skills without appearing like a show-off tune. It has a good beat and a very good chorus melody with horns. (B+)

'Corazon Espinado' sounds like the band "Mana" (the singer is present) but with a better guitar player. Nice latin percussion and easy melodic vocal lines, but overall nothing exceptional. The guitar sounds like him listening to the song with headphones and improvising nicely along with it. (C)

'wishing it does' continues the mainstream sound in yet another musical direction. The guitar solo is very solid but again sounds like if it is pasted into the finished song and sometimes dominates a bit in parts that in my opinion should be dominated by vocals. (C-)

'El Farol' is a pleasant mellow instrumental with emotional guitar playing recalling his early days. A very nice listen (B)

'Primavera' is another nice and smooth latin piece but nothing really special. Not much to say, but it isn't a bad song. (C)

'The Calling' is the very long Santana song in this album with Eric Clapton starring. I remember the high expectations in this piece, but in the end, it is a bit disappointing. It has a nice start with acoustic guitars but then turns into a boring and endless funky tune in the style of Roger Waters' "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" album. Then there is a pause and another song comes, which makes me wonder if putting a song of 12 minutes was done for marketing reasons. This part is much much better and one of the highlights of the whole album: a guitar showcase. This song would have been excellent if the middle part was removed. (C+)

While it is Santana's most popular album, it is far from his best and usually does not represent what Santana's music is about, except maybe for the guitar tone present in this disc and "El Farol". Newcomers should really start with Abraxas or Caravanserai, or maybe any of his first four albums.

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#123852) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Review by Chicapah
3 stars After 1992's nondescript "Milagro" Carlos Santana dropped off the map more or less (1994's "Santana Brothers" doesn't count for much) until he signed with Arista Records and reunited with the man who discovered him for Columbia three decades earlier. Clive Davis convinced Carlos that he could successfully blend his signature sound with modern trends and much younger artists to stage a comeback to end all comebacks. The result was "Supernatural" and, with over 21 million copies sold worldwide and nine Grammy awards, you gotta think that maybe ol' Clive was onto something. That or he was magically clairvoyant.

The album starts with a bang as "(Da Le) Yaleo" storms out of the gate with the kind of power that reminds you of Santana's crackerjack band way, way back in their glory years. Carlos' stinging guitar licks, the ferocious percussion of Karl Perazzo and Raul Rekow speeding alongside drummer Billy Johnson and a cool piano solo from Chester Thompson lead up to some terrific interactions and accents with a punchy horn section to set the bar at a formidable height. Ah, If only Santana could have stayed the course he plots with that opening salvo. Despite being an okay tune, "Love of my Life" is a bit of a letdown after all that excitement. It's above-average AOR fare featuring Dave Matthews on vocal that putters along casually until it slips into a more upbeat Salsa groove. The change is a nice touch and it gives Carlos and his percussionists a chance to jam. Unfortunately this album turns out to be one that requires a few jabs on the remote's skip button starting with the dreary "Put Your Lights On." In spite of a too-brief heavy metal-tinged spasm in the middle, some guy named Everlast (Never heard of him. He might as well be "passed gas" as far as I know) mumbles huskily through this dirge repeating "Hey Now" every so often which gives me a chuckle because it was the trademark catch-phrase for Hank Kingsley on the defunct but hilarious "Larry Sanders Show" on HBO. But I digress (much like this record does all too often).

"African Bamba" has a decent groove to it and Santana's Spanish acoustic guitar stylings are a welcome change of pace. But it's his hot electric guitar lead at the end that really distinguishes this track. I grew weary of hearing "Smooth" played over and over ad nauseum but you have to concede that when a hit single stays at #1 for twelve consecutive weeks Carlos and his producers are due credit for creating the perfect song for the end of the millennium. It's got great dynamics, spicy percussion, a slyly provocative vocal from Rob Thomas, an infectious rock beat and a lot of fiery notes pouring constantly from Santana's guitar. (Plus it was popular when I met my wife so, of course, it became "our song." And, boy, was I ever "smooth." Not to mention lucky and if you saw her you'd know what I mean.) From there Carlos sinks like the Bismarck to what may be his all-time low with the horrid "Do You Like the Way." Hit the skip button as soon as you can here because this is an unholy mixture of rap and badly performed soul music that Santana should be ashamed of. I don't mind saying that I utterly abhor rap and always will. It's as far from progressive music as one can possibly get and shouldn't be spoken of as music at all. Don't get me started.

"Maria Maria" (which, as a single, occupied the #1 spot for ten weeks) is a passable ditty, definitely a huge improvement over the previous cut but I've never been too crazy about the song. I really don't get the repeated references to Carlos Santana that pop up throughout the tune. I guess producer Wyclef Jean was either paying respectful homage or kissing his butt. Whatever. Just when things are getting stale and predictable, "Migra" comes storming in to save the day. This is vintage Santana with rolling jungle drums, rhythmic percussion and a contagious melody. What sets Carlos apart from everybody else is his unique talent as a true six-string virtuoso and here he puts on a clinic in rock guitar. It's one of the best tracks on the CD. "Corazon Espinado" continues to ride the newfound momentum with its percussion-fueled Salsa beat and with Santana tearing it up pretty good on his axe once again. "Wishing it Was" follows and it might have worked much better if it hadn't been burdened with a clumsy hip-hop undertow. Carlos throws in some slashing guitar runs but it's not nearly enough to keep this clunker from going absolutely nowhere.

As I said earlier, however, it's Santana's guitarisms we show up for and we get large doses of his genius on both the instrumental "El Farol," where Carlos shows his romantic yet bold and passionate side, and on "Primavera" that sports a jazzy Latin flavor. When I saw that Eric Clapton was the guest artist on "The Calling" I got my hopes sky high for a real throw-down but, alas, it fails to impress. Unlike the spectacular duets between Santana and John McLaughlin where they drove each other to the upper limits of their abilities, here Eric and Carlos play as if they're afraid of stepping on each other's toes. They spar timidly during the spacey first segment, then another dreadful hip-hop churning starts up beneath them along with a choral chant while they continue to noodle back and forth. It's a shame and a wasted opportunity, really. But the good news is that there's a bonus cut called "Day of Celebration" added on the end that's downright proggish in that it's a trip back to the heady days of "Caravanserai" when The Santana Band was exploring the boundaries of jazz rock/fusion. Carlos plays with an inspired fierceness and the percussion sounds like it's about to burst right out of the speakers. The bad news is that it's only about 5 minutes long. Makes me wish the whole album would have been steered in this direction.

With the exception of some moments in about 2 or 3 cuts there's not a lot of progressive music to be found here. I'm glad that Mr. Santana found his way back into the limelight after almost sinking into obscurity but the pop mentality that dominates many of these tunes and his unwise, dubious dabbling in the dismal, dead-end world of rap and hip hop keep this CD from being anything I would highly recommend. It's not as terrible as his worst but it's far from his acme. 2.7 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#134850) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 25, 2007

Review by snobb
4 stars Return of Santana to world of big music? After so many years of silence, and long list of very average albums, it was a real pleasure just to see him in Big Music again.

OK, for sure, this album has nothing in common with his first 5-6 classic latin-blues-fusion works. It's pure pop, but with plenty of very competent Carlos guitar all around. Because of collaborations with very different artists, album is very different in musical sense and no boring at all.

I like "Put Your Lights On " song from it, some nostalgia from old rock times. Best numbers there are Latin influenced songs, with perfect Santana's guitar and nice arrangements. Big part of songs are pure pop, but let stay true - without Santana's guitar work these songs wouldn't be popular at all.

So - return to form? Yes, in some sense. I afraid he will never be again that Latin Fusion star he was somewhere, but at least it's a first album in years pleasant for listening.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238771) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 12, 2009

3 stars Strangely enough, this was my introduction to 'guitar' music. You know, shredding, fast and furious leads and all that. My exposure to Western music had until then been pretty limited - the motley crew of Beatles, Celine Dion and Yanni. By sheer chance, I got introduced to this album when I wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#753621) | Posted by rogerthat | Tuesday, May 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Progressive in my opinion has to have an open-minded perception about music. O course,this album is not similar with albums like Abraxas or Caravanserai but it should be judged based on the music it contains and not with criteria that 'excommunicate' everything not so progressive. We can say that ... (read more)

Report this review (#228871) | Posted by mel from hell | Wednesday, July 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is a great album by Santana, but it's not like his earlier jazz/fusion. It's still a great sound, but as a different kind of music. Santana had many great guest musicians and vocalists, such as Dave Matthews and Eric Clapton. It has a very strong spanish sound in all of the songs. In "Ma ... (read more)

Report this review (#103719) | Posted by rekabat | Tuesday, December 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Supernatural"