50TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION VOLUME 5: FRED FRITH / JOHN ZORN

Fred Frith

RIO/Avant-Prog

Fred Frith 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 5: Fred Frith / John Zorn album cover

Buy FRED FRITH Music
Live, released in 2004

1. Off Topic (7:29)
2. Alecto (3:56)
3. Sowers Of Discord (3:54)
4. Four Corners (8:14)
5. Level Six Jumping (4:33)
6. Cruel Abstraction (6:25)
7. Eumenides Outside The Window (6:54)
8. Nine-Part Invention (4:37)
9. Cord Trouble And Tuning (1:38)
10. Astrologers And Magicians (6:32)

Search FRED FRITH 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 5: Fred Frith / John Zorn lyrics

Search FRED FRITH 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 5: Fred Frith / John Zorn tabs

- Fred Frith / guitars
- John Zorn / alto saxophone

CD Tzadik (TZ 5005), Jul 2004

Thanks to Joren for the addition
and to Anthony H. for the last updates

FRED FRITH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRED FRITH 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 5: Fred Frith / John Zorn Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Everybody's Somebody's Nobody'sEverybody's Somebody's Nobody's
Soundtrack
Tzadik 2004
Ragged AtlasRagged Atlas
Intakt Records 2010
Technology of Tears (And Other Music for Dance)Technology of Tears (And Other Music for Dance)
RecRec Music/SST 2008
Eye to EarEye to Ear
Soundtrack
Tzadik 1997
0 result found for "FRED FRITH"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results
More places to buy FRED FRITH music online Buy FRED FRITH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRED FRITH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRED FRITH 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 5: Fred Frith / John Zorn ratings distribution

FRED FRITH 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 5: Fred Frith / John Zorn reviews

Review by Slartibartfast
2 stars I guess you had to be there.

Sounds like crazy Zorn strangling his horn with atmospheric Fred sodomizing an electric guitar (thanks to Dali for inspiring the Frith comment). I didn't have any Zorn in collection, that I know of, but have long been a term Frith fan. I've read some good things about Zorn, so I thought "this could be interesting" and ordered it without hearing it first. Yikes! Well, now that I've heard it, I guess my opinion is now "this could be interesting".

Actually, the more melodic parts, and there are a few, sort of remind me of some of Mel Collins era King Crimson. And speaking of Crimson, this is a more enjoyable listen than Thrakattak, which probably isn't saying much. It's a live show of the duo doing improvisations and some of the track titles are particularly apt for the music contained within: Off Topic, Cruel Abstraction, and let's not even mention Cord Trouble And Tuning.

Well, the audience certainly seemed to enjoy the show and judging from the applause I hear after each track, I don't think too many of them ran away in terror. Either they knew what they were getting into or were very brave souls indeed. This music is not for the faint of heart. Might be useful in keeping you up if you're driving late at night if doesn't cause you to run off the road.

Review by snobb
3 stars One more live album from Zorn's 50-th anniversary series. All series releases illustrate different sides of Zorn's music during decades of his activities. And all releases are very different.

This one, John Zorn and ex- Henry Cow, Massacre guitarist and Naked City bassist Fred Frith duo is free form avant jazz. Pure improvisational music without structure, fixed form and rhythm section at all. Just crazy Zorn's screaming sax and strange aerial, sometimes fast Frith guitars. Nothing else. As you understand yet no melodies for sure.

Free music in free space. How many people could enjoy such music? 0,00001% of Earth population? I think possibly 0,00001% of music fans. Is this music so bad? Don't think so. How many people can enjoy Malevich paintings? Far not everyone. But he's a great painter, isn't it?

This album could be interesting for free jazz fans. Not like it's a free jazz masterpiece, but it's interesting to listen two really great musicians in their live free form improvs.

Music lovers believing that right music should have structure, orchestral arrangements and melody should avoid this album even as free gift. Newcomers to free avant jazz should start in other place as well just to avoid first unpleasant experience.

My rating is 2,5 rounded to 3.

Post a review of FRED FRITH "50th Birthday Celebration Volume 5: Fred Frith / John Zorn"