SHAMAN

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 2002

1. Adouma (4:16)
2. Nothing at All (4:28)
3. The Game of Love (4:15)
4. You Are My Kind (4:20)
5. Amoré (Sexo) (3:51)
6. Foo Foo (6:29)
7. Victory Is Won (5:21)
8. Since Supernatural (4:32)
9. America (4:35)
10. Sideways (4:42)
11. Why Don't You & I (4:34)
12. Feels Like Fire (4:40)
13. Aye Aye Aye (4:48)
14. Hoy Es Adiós (4:37)
15. One of These Days (5:52)
16. Novus (4:12)

Search SANTANA Shaman lyrics

Search SANTANA Shaman tabs

- Carlos Santana / vocals, acoustic 12-stirng, nylon string & electric guitars, keyboards, timbales, rainstick
- Rene Martinez / acoustic guitar
- Musiq, Michelle Branch, Seal, Macy Gray, Chad Kroeger, Andy Vargas, JB Eckl, Alejandro Lerner, Placido Domingo, Dido, Melkie Jean, Governor Washington / vocals
- Fernando "Toby" Tobon / electric guitar, cuatro, mandolin, bass, background vocals
- Ulises Bella / saxophone
- Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Benny Reitveld / bass
- Rodney Blade, Michael Shrieve / drums
- Karl Perazzo / congas, percussion
- Dan Shea / programming
- Kike Santander, Cori Rooney, Shelene Thomas, Ozomalti, Ola Taylor, Pauline Taylor / background vocals
- P.O.D: Sonny / vocals
- Marco / guitar
- Traa / bass
- Wuv / drums

CD Arista 14737 (2002)

Thanks to Joolz for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Shaman Music

The Best of SantanaThe Best of Santana
Sony 1998
Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
Santana 3Santana 3
Sbme Special Mkts. 1998
CaravanseraiCaravanserai
Sbme Special Mkts. 2003
CARLOS SANTANA & JOHN McLAUGHLIN Love Devotion Surrender CD Classic 1973 Album US $3.99 [1 bids]
32m 33s
SANTANA - Moonflower ~ GATEFOLD 2 x VINYL LP + INSERT US $19.37 Buy It Now 34m 14s
UK IMPORT LP: CARLOS SANTANA "INNER SECRETS" GREG WALKER 1978 CBS 86075 Insert US $19.99 Buy It Now 37m 53s
Santana - The Very Best of Santana (CD New) US $10.15 Buy It Now 46m 46s
Greatest Hits by Santana (CD, Nov-1992, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
53m 4s
Sacred Fire [VHS] Carlos Santana VHS Tape US $3.99 Buy It Now 58m 55s
SANTANA greatest hits EVIL WAYS black magic woman SAMBA PA TI jingo NEW TAPE US $9.89 [0 bids]
1h
SANTANA carlos/Beyond Appearances LATIN ROCK new cassette TAPE US $3.88 [0 bids]
1h
ROCK HITS OF 70's ted nugent SANTANA boston EDDIE MONEY mountain TOTO new cd US $7.88 [0 bids]
SANTANA/good & evil LATIN POP ROCK GUITAR new tape US $3.88 [0 bids]
1h
ROCKSOLID*CD*MOTORHEAD*REEF*MEAT LOAF*SPIN DOCTORS*KULA SHAKER*SANTANA US $2.19 Buy It Now 1h
the best of 60s PSYCHEDELIC ROCK steppenwolf SANTANA sly & family stone NEW TAPE US $5.88 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) SEALED AT TOP! PROMO DJ CD!!! US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
SANTANA BROADCASTING LIVE New CD Concert ( Carlos Santana Blues Band Intertest ) US $11.84 Buy It Now 1h 7m
SANTANA maria maria CD 6 track radio mix b/w pumpin dolls radio edit, wyclef rem US $8.46 Buy It Now 1h 9m
* SANTANA - Supernatural US $0.49 [0 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/7863 US $42.36 Buy It Now 1h 25m
All That I Am by Santana (CD, Nov-2005, Arista) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
SANTANA-WHY DONT YOU & I 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS345 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
The Best of Santana (CD, Mar-1998, Columbia) 16 classics,Evil Ways,Oye Como Va US $4.99 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits by Santana CD US $3.09 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Santana - All That I Am - Rare Out of Print South African CD CDAST486 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Santana -Supernatural - South African CD CDAST383 US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE LIVE ADVENTURES OF MIKE BLOOMFIELD AND AL KOOPER 2 lp set carlos santana US $4.00 [0 bids]
Santana Maria Maria Absolutely Excellent Condition CD Single US $7.63 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Supernatural, Santana, Good US $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
SANTANA self titled album lp vinyl US $9.99 [0 bids]
Santana - Shaman [ECD] (CD 2002) US $6.76 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Game of Love Australia CD Single Santana CD 2002 Michelle Branch includes Video US $0.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA Amigos 8-TRACK TAPE Tested! New Pad & Splice. 1976 CBS US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 25m
RARE CHANGO ORIGINAL FIRST EDITION PROMO GATEFOLD LP ABC RECORDS SANTANA US $7.99 [0 bids]
Supernatural, Santana, Very Good Import US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Jin-Go-Lo-Ba - Santana (CD 1995) NEW SEALED CD US $1.95 Buy It Now 2h 33m
SANTANA - All That I Am - 2005 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.63 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Santana Abraxas KC 30130 LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
SANTANA Sealed CBS Promo 24KT Gold Audiophile Master SANTANA CD! US $95.00 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Santana "Self Titled" 1970 'Evil Ways' US $5.79 [0 bids]
Santana "Inner Secrets" LP Columbia Stereo FC 35600 Orig Inner FREE SHIP US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Santana "Abraxas" 1970 inludes POSTER US $6.79 [0 bids]
BORN TO BE WILD:EDGAR WINTER,SANTANA,MOUNTAIN,POCO,SPIRIT,DAVID ESSEX,BYRDS[NEW] US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
SANTANA GREATEST HITS 1974 COLUMBIA PC33050 VINYL RECORD LP NO BARCODE VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Santana Greatest Hits Vinyl Lp US $2.99 [0 bids]
CURTIS SALGADO Wiggle outa EDIT PROMO CD Single SANTANA US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
JOHN LEE HOOKER MR Lucky NEAR-PERFECT shape CD Blues COODER Santana CRAY US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
SANTANA - SUPERNATURAL/SHAMAN [SANTANA] - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.80 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Santana Moonflower (Double Album) Record Album 33RPM US $32.00 [0 bids]
Santana , black magic woman,samba pati,press ex YUGO 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Juelz Santana - What The Game's Been Missing! (CD 2005) US $6.45 Buy It Now 3h 45m
SANTANA:SANTANA'S GREATEST HITS...1974 LP COLUMBIA - ROCK US $4.50 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Lotus by Santana (CD, Feb-1991, 2 Discs, Columbia (USA)) US $12.00 [0 bids]
RAFI SANTANA-LP-LA SENSACION-LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 49m
CARLOS SANTANA BUDDY MILES live JAPAN MINI LP CD US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
5) USED SANTANA COMPACT DISKS: SHAMAN,SUPERNATURAL,BEST OF,JAM, JIN-GO-LO-BA US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
VERY RARE CASSETTE TAPE~BOSTON+STYX+RARE EARTH+SANTANA+KINKS+ELO+GUESS WHO+MORE! US $2.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA ABRAXAS ~ CBS RECORDS ~ 9 SONGS ~ SEE PIC 2 FOR SONG LIST US $4.88 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Santana III by Santana (CD, Mar-1998, BMG (distributor)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
LL COOL J WHAT YOU WANT ITS LL & SANTANA RAP 12" SINGLE US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 9m
SANTANA *DJ COPY* "GIVE AND TAKE" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
SANTANA - ORIGINAL PERFORMER ORIGINAL SOUND (CD0 BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 16m
(CD) SANTANA - Abraxas / Early Pressing / Austria/Holland / CDCBS 32032 US $45.00 Buy It Now 4h 21m
01 Carlos Santana The Legend excellent black t-shirt S-XL size US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Live at the Fillmore 1968 by Santana (CD, Mar-1997, 2 Discs) New Sealed SS US $9.00 [0 bids]
The Best of Santana by Santana (CD, Mar-1998, Columbia/Legacy) Free Ship #EM07 US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Juelz Santana : What The Games Been Missing! CD (2005) US $4.34 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Supernatural, Santana, Very Good US $4.34 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Ed Calle - Plays Santana - SEALED U.S. cd - RARE! Digipak US $13.48 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Santana Caravanserai vintage 1970s CRYSTAL BADGE US $10.15 Buy It Now 4h 42m
SANTANA - TOUCHDOWN RAIDERS / SAY IT AGAIN 45 RECORD US $2.00 [0 bids]
1981 Santana Zebop!-LP-Columbia Records-Carlos Santana US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
FILL YOUR HEAD WITH ROCK 2LP GATEFOLD +insert Ft Byrds JOPLIN Chicago SANTANA US $21.35 Buy It Now 4h 51m
SANTANA -INNER SECRETS- VINYL LP US $8.66 Buy It Now 4h 53m
ROCK BUSTER 2LP GATEFOLD CBS 1970 Bob Dylan MILES DAVIS The Byrds SANTANA Flock US $21.35 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Time-Life's GUITAR ROCK: 1970-1971 [CD, 1994] - NEW! 18 hits - Santana/Guess Who US $14.88 Buy It Now 4h 55m
Santana - Amigos [LP] (180 Gram Audiophile Viny, Limited Anniv) 2014/ US SELLER US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 58m
SANTANA- Abraxas - 180gram Vinyl LP- SEALED US $37.00 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Santana-Abraxas-Columbia 30130-QUADROPHONIC US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Shaman by Santana (CD, Feb-2006, Arista) US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Carlos SANTANA & EVERLAST Put your Lights on RADIO & ORIGINAL EDIT PROMO DJ CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
SANTANA-THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION BRAND NEW 2CD SET + FAMILY TREE POSTER BEST OF US $1.68 [1 bids]
Devadip Carlos Santana & Turiya Alice Coltrane ?- Illuminations LP US $10.00 [0 bids]
LP - SANTANA - MONSTER OF POP - 1992 - BRAZIL US $14.99 [0 bids]
PROMO CD JOHNNY CASH Santana MILES DAVIS Billy Joel 04 US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Ultimate Santana CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
Santana -Lotus [3LP] (180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl, Anniversary Limit Edition) 2013 US $47.00 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Santana Moonflower 1977 Columbia 34914 Psychedelic Blues Rock Gate 2 LPs US $15.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Santana Welcome LP Columbia PC 32445 Matrix 1A/1A 1973 EX/EX US $7.95 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana: Maximum Unauthorised Biography CD 2000 UK Import with Poster NEW US $6.95 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Santana - Supernatural CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
VG+/NM Play Graded ! Album LP Santana Self Titled 1st US press Columbia US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Santana - Live At The Bottom Line 1978 CD New US $20.32 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Santana CD US $2.25 [0 bids]
Santana's greatest hits US $4.99 [0 bids]
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - LIVE 12" Lp 1972 US $27.11 Buy It Now 6h 12m
SANTANA I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU PROMO 45 VG+ WLP ROCK COLUMBIA 1985 US $1.29 [0 bids]
SANTANA - SUPERNATURAL [SANTANA] [078221908023] - NEW CD US $4.89 Buy It Now 6h 19m
MALO Ascencion SEALED 1974 8 track tape cartridge NEW Santana US $7.49 [0 bids]
SANTANA HITS COLLECTION SEALED CD NEW US $2.54 Buy It Now 6h 20m
DESPERADO ~The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD ~ Santana, Los Lobos US $2.99 [0 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA MAHAVISHNU JOHN McLAUGHLIN Love Devotion '73 Surrender TAIWAN VG+ US $44.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
SANTANA SOUL SACRIFICE SEALED CD NEW US $2.54 Buy It Now 6h 22m

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Shaman ratings distribution

SANTANA Shaman reviews

Review by Chris S
3 stars Shaman is basically a rerun of Supernatural. How could Carlos Santana possibly turn away from repeating such a successful formula that he achieved on Supernatural? He is a megarich superstar so why not repeat the formula again, but in defense of CS, 25% of all royalties up to one million units sold were donated to the Milagro Children's Charity Foundation. The album is borderline 3 stars and the highlights for me are the ever so catchy ' The Game Of Love' sung by Michelle Branch.' You Are My Kind' featuring Seal on vocals, ' One Of These Days' featuring Ozomatli. As with Supernatural you are guaranteed safe listening with some able musicians in the mix, but don't expect any miracles.He needs to do another studio album again soon. I was lucky to see the Shaman tour live in 2002/3 in the UK and the show was a definite winner.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104817) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Santana revived with "Supernatural". Can you imagine that TWENTY-FIVE million albums were sold ? It won NINE grammy awards and went FIFTEEN tilmes paltinium in the States. Not too bad for someone who was almost retired...

Nothing but normal that our dear friend Carlos newly re-born tried to create a follow-up and release another similar album.

Some catchy songs will be features here but none as "Smoooth" for instance. The best that you can expect from this album is some fantastic guitar riffs from the master.

Like in : "Game Of Love" (which would have been poor otherwise but this remark is valid almost throughout the album), "You Are My Kind", "Victory Is One" the fifteenth or so (I stopped counting, really) attempt of another "Samba Pa' Ti". As usual it is my fave of the album (but if you've read some of my Santana reviews, you know by now that I am completely biased by this great song).

Furious guitar during "America", passionate ones in "Feels Like Fire" (another poor song, though). "Novus" with vocals from ...Plácido Domingo is also a good song. Nice acoustic (Spanish style) as well as electric guitar.

You can expect the worse as well : "Foo Foo", "Sideways" (a quiet jazzy one). But even then, Carlos will be very inspired. The soul "Why Don't You And I" is not my cup of tea either. Like "Let Me Love You Tonight", the well titled "Aye Aye Aye" and finally " One Of Those Days".

Actually, the second part of the album is poor (except "Novus"). Lack of inspiration, I guess.

I hope that one day, Carlos will fully return to his great latin-rock of the debut. I have read on Greg Rolie's web-site that Carlos, Mike (Carabello) and Gregg played together in January 2007 for a benefit concert. If only the second half of the band would ...but I guess that I'm dreaming.

Two stars for this album only thanks to the short (but plentiful) guitar moments. This album will be twice platinum...It is also far too lenghty.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#131950) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 05, 2007

Review by Petrovsk Mizinski
1 stars This album vety much continues the highly successful formula of Supernatural, which went 15 times Platinum and won 9 Grammy awards. So given that, if Carlos Santana wanted more money, why stray from the formula? Carlos assembled many famous pop, hip and rap artists to feature on this album. While the Latin influence hasn't disappeared, if you're hoping to hear something dangerous and exciting here, you will find, as I did, this album falls flat on it's face in that department. But given Supernatural was hardly better, I'm not surprised.

I am not really familar with any of the featured artist, in terms of their music anyway, and the only artist I had heard of prior to listening to this album was P.O.D. The album has some very nice lead guitar, which I expected from someone of Carlos Santana's ability. Unfortunately, he is often overshadowed by the featuring artist/s and it is only when we hear a guitar lick from Carlos that we are reminded he is still there. The guest vocalist on Why Don't You & I, Chad Kroeger, has this annoying quality to his voice I can't describe well enough in words, but chances are you will know what I mean if you listen to it. Fortunately, some of the other singers, like Michelle Branch, have nice voices. But that won't save this album from being poorly conceived and a general mess. And when I said highly successful formula I obviously didn't mean that is was successful in the musical sense.

Santana need to take a long hard look at themselves, and really need to see they should have quit while they were ahead. I cannot recommend this album to anyone unfortunately, if you want to hear good Santana, go to an earlier time in their discography.

Send comments to Petrovsk Mizinski (BETA) | Report this review (#172522) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars Santana after few years tried to use successfull formula of Supernatural one more time. And , what is the result?

I like his Supernatural as his best album of last 10+ years. But there it didn't work. The duets again, it's not bad, but the difference is quite serious.

You can hear Santana in duets with hip-hop, rap, house singers/musicians ( not stars!) here. And The Magic is gone. In many cases he and his guitar sound absolutely out of place in that music. It reminds the old guy who came to his grandsons weekend party sountrack. Old guy trying to be "in trend" and sometimes even plays some old fashioned melodies in his guitar. Youngsters generaly likes this old freak, so somitimes even let him play both together with them.

So, Santana sounds old ,retired and out of place. Youngsters play their music, which doesn't mean nothing to any person with college + education and older than 19. So, if you will record the sountrack of this party, "Shaman" is done.

It's pity that Santana lost his successfull musical return ( with "Supernatural "). And it will be even more pity, when Santana will try few more years later just to repeat this formula one more time ( again, without any success at all!)

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238772) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review by Chicapah
4 stars I was happy for Carlos and his namesake band when their 1999 "comeback" album aptly entitled "Supernatural" turned out to be one of the most successful of its kind ever, garnering the coveted Album of the Year Grammy award and the recognition they so deserved for decades of making a positive difference in the world of music. However, I found the record itself to be inconsistent and often too dependent on trying to be "trendy" by including way, way too much of the rap and hip-hop mentality that I find musically degrading and primitive most of the time. It came off more as a guest star-studded tribute project than a true Santana album and to this day I still consider it to be only slightly above average in overall quality. So, when the follow-up, "Shaman," was released in 2002 I didn't expect much at all. Kinda like someone making a sequel to a blockbuster movie. If you didn't like the first one (and even if you did), chances are you'll be majorly disappointed with Act Two, as well. In fact, I held off giving it a listen for almost a decade for fear of aurally witnessing another one of my heroes selling his soul in response to the lure of the almighty dollar but I'm glad to report that I find it an improvement over rather than a continuation of its predecessor's unevenness. Santana's reputation remains intact.

One huge reason is that Carlos settled on a cadre of talented musicians to construct the basic tracks this time around instead of having a revolving door of unfamiliar personnel traipse through the studio, a flawed ploy that contributed to the wild variations in the foundational sound that so bugged me about many of the cuts on "Supernatural." Having the great Michael Shrieve man the drum kit for every session was a very wise decision and locking in keyboard man John Ginty and percussion virtuoso Karl Perazza for continuity didn't hurt, either. I'm sure that Columbia Records, hoping for a repeat of '99, encouraged (i.e. begged) Carlos to bring in another Pro Bowl cast of iconic virtuosos to populate the tracks, thus upping the odds of success and making their marketing job easier. But instead, by restricting the invited dignitaries' contributions to mainly vocals, the results were more in line with what we've come to expect from him and his cohorts.

They make a bold statement with the opener, "Adouma." The tune charges out of the gate with a refreshing blast of what makes Santana such a unique joy; unyielding rhythms, melodic themes and scorching riffs. Spanish guitar and Musiq Soulchild's lone voice stroll atop a confident, purposeful Latin beat that jogs underneath "Nothing At All." This entertaining song reaps benefits from its mature compositional structure and a very intelligent arrangement. "The Game of Love" is next, the tune that got the most radio exposure and did the album a lot of favors by climbing up into the top five on the singles chart. While not as incurably catchy as "Smooth," it does uphold the group's standard of integrity by featuring Michelle Branch's cool vocal and an array of the group's signature sounds. For "You Are My Kind" the band adopted a flowing-yet-aggressive approach that propels this simple song and gives it an admirable character. The then in-vogue flat drum ambience they use on "Amore (Sexo)" had me worried at first but Karl's hot congas and percussion quickly joining in allayed my anxiety in a flash. The number turns out to be a sassy, south-of-the-border deal with the voice of spunky Macy Gray electrifying the track.

"Foo Foo" is an energy-filled, one-mile relay sprint wherein the ensemble assembled erects a fabulous, festive atmosphere. I don't know what they're singing, exactly, but I can tell they're having a rave up doing it. This tune probably killed in concert because every musician gets a turn filling in a gap and showing off at the same time. Carlos' "Victory is Won" follows and it's a lush instrumental with beautiful melody lines and strong drums from Shrieve that endow it with big cojones. Ginty's Hammond solo is exceptional while Santana's guitar ride is passionate and, at times, splendidly out-of-control. I knew it had to come eventually but the tattooed hip-hop bunny finally intrudes in the form of "Since Supernatural." At least they didn't abandon all melodic sensibilities, making this cut almost passable but I'm not comfortable with the "let's glorify the group" slant that I initially noticed on their last disc. To me it's pandering and beneath them. A toweringly fat, proggy opening for "America" belies the arena rock persona this song portrays without apology. I'm not all that impressed with the tune itself but Carlos makes it worthwhile by tearing the roof off the studio with his intense guitar ride. The bluesy air that surrounds "Sideways" clears the air efficiently without it becoming another tired dose of "da blooz." Some guy named Citizen Cope's singing and the uplifting, semi-reggae feel make this cut really stick out in a good way. Chad Kroeger of Nickelback wrote and does vocal duty on "Why Don't You and I," a pop/rock ditty that manages to not be patronizing, at least. It may've been a #8 hit but I find it rather unassuming and inconsequential.

"Feels Like Fire" features Dido crooning into the microphone and it's fairly tame contemporary fare that passes by without incident. Where's the fire? Yawn. The startling wake up call that is "Aye, Aye, Aye" is an instant cure for complacency, however, fueled by wonderfully busy Latin percussion and an irrepressible drive courtesy of Michael. This track emphasizes the fun side of Santana and makes up for a lot of the record's marginal moments. "Hoy es Adios" is a slower-paced, modern Mexican ballad whose most distinguishing assets are Carlos' acoustic guitar playing and the light, imaginative keyboard effects that surround Alejandro Lerner's emotional singing. "One of These Days" is next and its edgy samba/rock beat grants the tune an identifiable "War" aura supplemented by enthusiastic, all-together-now warblings from the boys in the band on the chorus. Carlos' lead is both tasteful and stirring. From the "What the hell?" department comes "Novus," an eclectic mixture of a percussive undertow, a heavy rock guitar and Placido Domingo throating what sounds like an Italian aria. It's nothing if not intriguing, that's for sure, and damned if they don't somehow make it work! It took big ones to even try such an unlikely experiment.

The album was released on October 22, 2002 and plopped itself right at the tip top of the charts from day one so the suits at Columbia led a conga line right out onto the streets, no doubt. Admittedly, in the long run it didn't match "Supernatural" in sales and popularity (few do), but it did prove that Carlos and Company hadn't waved "adios" and retired to the retirement hacienda just yet. While it doesn't rival the magnificence of the band's first four records in any way, shape or form, I do find "Shaman" to be a better album than several of their questionable offerings over the years and it's one that I'll play from time to time for two reasons. One, I was in a funk before I put this one on today and it cheered me right up. Two, because eight of the sixteen tracks are excellent while the rest are no worse than average. I'll take that ratio any time. Three and a half stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#607919) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012

3 stars I write only a short note because I do not able to write a correct review: the music of 'Shaman' please me but... If you search the spirit of Santana... ...Boys, Santana is a Suprstar... Today is a MTV superstar! Certainly the music is good, extreme good. But for the rest? 'Shaman' is also go ... (read more)

Report this review (#236921) | Posted by 1967/ 1976 | Thursday, September 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Shaman"