SHAMAN

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 2002

1. Adouma (4:16)
2. Nothing at All (4:28)
3. The Game of Love (4:15)
4. You Are My Kind (4:20)
5. Amoré (Sexo) (3:51)
6. Foo Foo (6:29)
7. Victory Is Won (5:21)
8. Since Supernatural (4:32)
9. America (4:35)
10. Sideways (4:42)
11. Why Don't You & I (4:34)
12. Feels Like Fire (4:40)
13. Aye Aye Aye (4:48)
14. Hoy Es Adiós (4:37)
15. One of These Days (5:52)
16. Novus (4:12)

Search SANTANA Shaman lyrics

Search SANTANA Shaman tabs

- Carlos Santana / vocals, acoustic 12-stirng, nylon string & electric guitars, keyboards, timbales, rainstick
- Rene Martinez / acoustic guitar
- Musiq, Michelle Branch, Seal, Macy Gray, Chad Kroeger, Andy Vargas, JB Eckl, Alejandro Lerner, Placido Domingo, Dido, Melkie Jean, Governor Washington / vocals
- Fernando "Toby" Tobon / electric guitar, cuatro, mandolin, bass, background vocals
- Ulises Bella / saxophone
- Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Benny Reitveld / bass
- Rodney Blade, Michael Shrieve / drums
- Karl Perazzo / congas, percussion
- Dan Shea / programming
- Kike Santander, Cori Rooney, Shelene Thomas, Ozomalti, Ola Taylor, Pauline Taylor / background vocals
- P.O.D: Sonny / vocals
- Marco / guitar
- Traa / bass
- Wuv / drums

CD Arista 14737 (2002)

Thanks to Joolz for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Shaman Music

CorazonCorazon
RCA 2014
Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
Santana 3Santana 3
Sbme Special Mkts. 1998
The Essential SantanaThe Essential Santana
Sony Legacy 2013
LOT of 18 45 RPM Records Diana Ross, Don Henley, The Police, Santana, Tom Petty US $12.00 [0 bids]
30m 18s
SANTANA: Caravanserai LP (KC prefix, sm toc, sl corner bend) Rock US $15.00 Buy It Now 30m 19s
SANTANA "AMIGOS" RARE 1976 STEREO ALBUM COLUMBIA RECORDS PC 33576 US $20.00 Buy It Now 34m 25s
SANTANA SHANGO LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 40m 2s
Santana KC30595 LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 45m 31s
The Best of Santana [Columbia] by Santana (CD, Mar-1998, Columbia/Legacy) US $4.95 Buy It Now 53m 29s
Vintage Jorje Santana Self Titled SEALED Record LP Album + A Loose One US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
SANTANA - Welcome LP New SEALED 180 gram US $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Lot CDs Wang Chung Aretha Franklin Lionel Richie Santana Garth Brooks Mellencamp US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
NEW - Latin Tropical [Import] [Audio CD] Santana US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Greatest Hits - Santana (CD 1992) US $5.49 Buy It Now 1h 39m
SANTANA Illuminations COLTRANE UK ORG LP Jazz FUSION US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Santana A Profile Of CD 7 Fabulous Hard Rock Songs!!! US $0.01 [0 bids]
(CD) ''SANTANA III'' / 1971 COLUMBIA RECORDS US $12.50 Buy It Now 2h
Santana "Zebop!" Vinyl LP Record VG US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
SANTANA: GREATEST HITS [EVIL WAYS,BLACK MAGIC WOMAN,OYE COMO VA,JINGO++] US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
DEVADIP CARLOS SANTANA 2 LP SET THE SWING OF DELIGHT COLUMBIA US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Santana RARE Japan LP OBI Golden Grand Prix 30 Gatefold VINYL 12 oye samba evil US $15.00 [0 bids]
SANTANA "NOWHERE TO RUN" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 47m
SANTANA "STORMY" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Shaman [ECD] by Santana (CD, Oct-2002, Arista) US $1.66 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Santana - Original Album Classics Slipcase [CD New] US $19.83 Buy It Now 3h 7m
OUT OF PRINT RARE GREGG ROLIE FIRST CD "GREGG ROLIE" ORIGINAL SANTANA MEMBER US $89.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
CARLOS SANTANA "GUAJIRA" VERY RARE LP CBS CHILE 1972 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
OUT OF PRINT RARE GREGG ROLIE FIRST CD "GREGG ROLIE" ORIGINAL SANTANA MEMBER US $65.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Gato Barbieri - EUROPA - MINT WLP 45 INSTRUMENTAL written by Carlos Santana US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
THE ESSENTIAL SANTANA - on 2 CD'S - NEW US $15.93 Buy It Now 3h 22m
CARLOS SANTANA JOHN MCLAUGHLIN JAPAN MINI LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER CD. 1997. US $9.95 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $6.00 [0 bids]
Santana Records, Rama Jam US $1.00 [0 bids]
SANTANA Viva Santana! 42LP115 LD L3191 US $29.99 [0 bids]
lot of 2 cassettes tapes santana greatest hits rolling stones live 90's nice US $0.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA Viva Santana! 42LP115 OBI LD W3566 US $19.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA Viva Santana ! 42LP115 OBI LD P6966 US $19.99 [0 bids]
Alice Cooper, Doobie Brothers, Santana, Guess Who, LP Lot US $21.00 [0 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA 2CD LTD EDITION SLIPCASE 4-Color POSTER US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
SANTANA CD US $12.74 Buy It Now 3h 44m
SANTANA Viva Santana! 42LP115 LD R0997 US $14.99 [0 bids]
Santana Moonflower She's Not There US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Santana : Every Day I Have the Blue CD US $4.51 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Santana ~ Beyond Appearances ~ LP US $2.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA Sacred Fire POLP-1617 LD R3953 US $14.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA Viva Santana! 42LP115 OBI LD R2995 US $14.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA / CHICAGO / AL KOOPER / THE FLOCK- SUBTERRANEO 3 - RARE-URUGUAY (5 pics) US $65.00 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Living Proof [Digipak] by Buddy Guy (CD, Oct-2010, Sony) with Carlos Santana US $4.99 [0 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA - ONENESS, JC 35686 COLUMBIA; LP US $23.00 Buy It Now 3h 59m
OSCAR SANTANA LP US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 7m
SANTANA NM/VG+ 8-TRACK COLLECTION LOT OF 3 Debut LP+Amigos & Borboletta SMOOOOTH US $17.88 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Santana Viva Santana Columbia Records Psych 3 LP Set with Booklet US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 15m
JOSE ANTONIO SANTANA Confesiones LATIN LP SEALED JS US $5.00 [0 bids]
MIGUEL SANTANA Merengueando LATIN LP COLONIA DG US $5.00 [0 bids]
Santana Latifah Fat Joe Stevie J Girlfight Canada Import CD NEW SEALED US $4.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA Maria Maria ARISTA US 12-inch US $0.99 [1 bids]
Paul Reed Smith Japan Book with DVD Santana Red Hot Chili Peppers PRS Guitar US $169.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
SANTANA "SUPERNATURAL" CD US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h
Santana Abraxas Record Album, Columbia Records Dish/Ashtray - Promo US $9.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA Moonflower, original double vinyl LP, 1977, VG- US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 7m
JUELZ SANTANA - WHAT THE GAME'S BEEN MISSING! -(SEALED -NOT CUT OUT LP -3 DISCS) US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Santana Caranserai 1972 LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 17m
SANTANA Jingo The Santana Collection CD BRAND NEW US $7.91 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Santana -Abraxas - 8 Track US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Santana Amigos 12" LP Canada Record Vinyl US $4.99 [0 bids]
Santana, Abraxas, Complete, Awesome CD!! US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 26m
CARLOS SANTANA Abraxas JAPAN 1983 CD 1st Press 35DP-58 RARE US $39.00 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Santana - Caravanserai-LP/Vinyl/Record mint plays perfect!!!! US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Christopher Cross Kalapana Santana The Cure Fra Lippo Lippi DVD KARAOKE 200 song US $18.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Santana Shango Hold on US $2.95 Buy It Now 5h 46m
SANTANA BLUES FOR SALVADOR ORIGINAL LP STILL IN SHRINK 1987 US $249.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
SANTANA SANTANA Columbia PC 9781 Stereo Psyche Cover Lion Debut Album US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Santana - Supernatural (CD, 1999, Arista Records) US $1.99 [0 bids]
TOM COSTER (SANTANA) - "Let's Set The Record" CD 1993 1st US PROMO - JVC US $22.88 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Santana: Revelations / Give me love 7" 45rpm vinyl record 5a US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 16m
SANTANA III 35TH ANNIVERSARY Brand New SEALED 2CDS DIGIPAK LEGACY EDITION US $25.75 Buy It Now 6h 25m
SANTANA-S/T-JAPAN BLU-SPEC CD2 BONUS TRACK D73 US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
SUNFLY KARAOKE KOOL HITS CD+G Madonna,Santana,Beyonce,Chris Brown,Coldplay US $4.66 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Illuminations Santana Alice Coltrane Turiya Devadip CD~NEW~German Import US $12.95 Buy It Now 6h 27m
20 AMERICAN TOP HITS VINYL-COMP HOLLAND 1975 COHEN JOPLIN SANTANA HOOK HAMMOND US $4.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA ULTIMATE BRAND NEW SEALED CD BONUS TRACK US $15.75 Buy It Now 6h 31m
SANTANA & MAHAVISHNU JOHN MCLAUGHLIN - Love Devotion Surrender LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Carlos Santana Star Collection CD Mega Rare SouthAmerica Edition US $9.99 [0 bids]
Santana - Ultimate Collection (2000) US $22.71 Buy It Now 6h 34m
SANTANA CD SANTANA NEW STILL SEALED 2007 US $5.04 Buy It Now 6h 42m
#SANTANA/EUROPE(EARTH'S CRY HEAVEN'S~JAPAN ISSUE EP#739 US $13.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 16m
Santana Abraxas Vinyl LP KC 30130 US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 21m
LP SANTANA "ABRAXAS" GATEFOLD COVER w/POSTER COLUMBIA KC 30130 (NM) US $8.99 [0 bids]
MALO EVOLUTION BS 2702 VINYL LP 1973 LATIN ROCK ORIG PRESS JORGE SANTANA VG+!! US $18.99 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Sacred Fire: Santana Live in South America by Santana (CD, Nov-1993, Polydor) US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 45m
SANTANA - SUPERNATURAL US $3.69 Buy It Now 7h 53m
ROCK HITS OF 70's ted nugent SANTANA boston EDDIE MONEY mountain TOTO new cd US $7.73 Buy It Now 8h 9m
The Best of Santana [Columbia] by Santana (CD, Mar-1... US $7.50 Buy It Now 8h 26m
SANTANA - ABRAXAS US $6.49 Buy It Now 8h 36m
SANTANA - Caravanserai - Original Quadraphonic QUAD LP SQ US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 56m
SANTANA VINYL abraxas LP Record with Giant Poster FREE US SHIPPING US $20.99 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Viva Santana! [Columbia/Sony] by Santana (CD, Sep-2000, Universal/Spectrum) US $6.65 Buy It Now 9h 4m
Love Songs by Santana (CD, Dec-2003, Sony/Columbia) US $5.57 Buy It Now 9h 5m
SANTANA - ULTIMATE CD ~ CARLOS~ROB THOMAS~TINA TURNER +++ GUITAR GREAT *NEW* US $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Santana Guitar Backing Tracks. 14 quality Jam Trax US $4.19 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Salsa Mix - Dj Miguelito, Dj Gaby Fusion, Dj Santana US $4.00 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Santana - Shape Shifter (CD New) US $8.11 Buy It Now 9h 47m

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Shaman ratings distribution

SANTANA Shaman reviews

Review by Chris S
3 stars Shaman is basically a rerun of Supernatural. How could Carlos Santana possibly turn away from repeating such a successful formula that he achieved on Supernatural? He is a megarich superstar so why not repeat the formula again, but in defense of CS, 25% of all royalties up to one million units sold were donated to the Milagro Children's Charity Foundation. The album is borderline 3 stars and the highlights for me are the ever so catchy ' The Game Of Love' sung by Michelle Branch.' You Are My Kind' featuring Seal on vocals, ' One Of These Days' featuring Ozomatli. As with Supernatural you are guaranteed safe listening with some able musicians in the mix, but don't expect any miracles.He needs to do another studio album again soon. I was lucky to see the Shaman tour live in 2002/3 in the UK and the show was a definite winner.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104817) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Santana revived with "Supernatural". Can you imagine that TWENTY-FIVE million albums were sold ? It won NINE grammy awards and went FIFTEEN tilmes paltinium in the States. Not too bad for someone who was almost retired...

Nothing but normal that our dear friend Carlos newly re-born tried to create a follow-up and release another similar album.

Some catchy songs will be features here but none as "Smoooth" for instance. The best that you can expect from this album is some fantastic guitar riffs from the master.

Like in : "Game Of Love" (which would have been poor otherwise but this remark is valid almost throughout the album), "You Are My Kind", "Victory Is One" the fifteenth or so (I stopped counting, really) attempt of another "Samba Pa' Ti". As usual it is my fave of the album (but if you've read some of my Santana reviews, you know by now that I am completely biased by this great song).

Furious guitar during "America", passionate ones in "Feels Like Fire" (another poor song, though). "Novus" with vocals from ...Plácido Domingo is also a good song. Nice acoustic (Spanish style) as well as electric guitar.

You can expect the worse as well : "Foo Foo", "Sideways" (a quiet jazzy one). But even then, Carlos will be very inspired. The soul "Why Don't You And I" is not my cup of tea either. Like "Let Me Love You Tonight", the well titled "Aye Aye Aye" and finally " One Of Those Days".

Actually, the second part of the album is poor (except "Novus"). Lack of inspiration, I guess.

I hope that one day, Carlos will fully return to his great latin-rock of the debut. I have read on Greg Rolie's web-site that Carlos, Mike (Carabello) and Gregg played together in January 2007 for a benefit concert. If only the second half of the band would ...but I guess that I'm dreaming.

Two stars for this album only thanks to the short (but plentiful) guitar moments. This album will be twice platinum...It is also far too lenghty.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#131950) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 05, 2007

Review by Petrovsk Mizinski
1 stars This album vety much continues the highly successful formula of Supernatural, which went 15 times Platinum and won 9 Grammy awards. So given that, if Carlos Santana wanted more money, why stray from the formula? Carlos assembled many famous pop, hip and rap artists to feature on this album. While the Latin influence hasn't disappeared, if you're hoping to hear something dangerous and exciting here, you will find, as I did, this album falls flat on it's face in that department. But given Supernatural was hardly better, I'm not surprised.

I am not really familar with any of the featured artist, in terms of their music anyway, and the only artist I had heard of prior to listening to this album was P.O.D. The album has some very nice lead guitar, which I expected from someone of Carlos Santana's ability. Unfortunately, he is often overshadowed by the featuring artist/s and it is only when we hear a guitar lick from Carlos that we are reminded he is still there. The guest vocalist on Why Don't You & I, Chad Kroeger, has this annoying quality to his voice I can't describe well enough in words, but chances are you will know what I mean if you listen to it. Fortunately, some of the other singers, like Michelle Branch, have nice voices. But that won't save this album from being poorly conceived and a general mess. And when I said highly successful formula I obviously didn't mean that is was successful in the musical sense.

Santana need to take a long hard look at themselves, and really need to see they should have quit while they were ahead. I cannot recommend this album to anyone unfortunately, if you want to hear good Santana, go to an earlier time in their discography.

Send comments to Petrovsk Mizinski (BETA) | Report this review (#172522) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars Santana after few years tried to use successfull formula of Supernatural one more time. And , what is the result?

I like his Supernatural as his best album of last 10+ years. But there it didn't work. The duets again, it's not bad, but the difference is quite serious.

You can hear Santana in duets with hip-hop, rap, house singers/musicians ( not stars!) here. And The Magic is gone. In many cases he and his guitar sound absolutely out of place in that music. It reminds the old guy who came to his grandsons weekend party sountrack. Old guy trying to be "in trend" and sometimes even plays some old fashioned melodies in his guitar. Youngsters generaly likes this old freak, so somitimes even let him play both together with them.

So, Santana sounds old ,retired and out of place. Youngsters play their music, which doesn't mean nothing to any person with college + education and older than 19. So, if you will record the sountrack of this party, "Shaman" is done.

It's pity that Santana lost his successfull musical return ( with "Supernatural "). And it will be even more pity, when Santana will try few more years later just to repeat this formula one more time ( again, without any success at all!)

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238772) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review by Chicapah
4 stars I was happy for Carlos and his namesake band when their 1999 "comeback" album aptly entitled "Supernatural" turned out to be one of the most successful of its kind ever, garnering the coveted Album of the Year Grammy award and the recognition they so deserved for decades of making a positive difference in the world of music. However, I found the record itself to be inconsistent and often too dependent on trying to be "trendy" by including way, way too much of the rap and hip-hop mentality that I find musically degrading and primitive most of the time. It came off more as a guest star-studded tribute project than a true Santana album and to this day I still consider it to be only slightly above average in overall quality. So, when the follow-up, "Shaman," was released in 2002 I didn't expect much at all. Kinda like someone making a sequel to a blockbuster movie. If you didn't like the first one (and even if you did), chances are you'll be majorly disappointed with Act Two, as well. In fact, I held off giving it a listen for almost a decade for fear of aurally witnessing another one of my heroes selling his soul in response to the lure of the almighty dollar but I'm glad to report that I find it an improvement over rather than a continuation of its predecessor's unevenness. Santana's reputation remains intact.

One huge reason is that Carlos settled on a cadre of talented musicians to construct the basic tracks this time around instead of having a revolving door of unfamiliar personnel traipse through the studio, a flawed ploy that contributed to the wild variations in the foundational sound that so bugged me about many of the cuts on "Supernatural." Having the great Michael Shrieve man the drum kit for every session was a very wise decision and locking in keyboard man John Ginty and percussion virtuoso Karl Perazza for continuity didn't hurt, either. I'm sure that Columbia Records, hoping for a repeat of '99, encouraged (i.e. begged) Carlos to bring in another Pro Bowl cast of iconic virtuosos to populate the tracks, thus upping the odds of success and making their marketing job easier. But instead, by restricting the invited dignitaries' contributions to mainly vocals, the results were more in line with what we've come to expect from him and his cohorts.

They make a bold statement with the opener, "Adouma." The tune charges out of the gate with a refreshing blast of what makes Santana such a unique joy; unyielding rhythms, melodic themes and scorching riffs. Spanish guitar and Musiq Soulchild's lone voice stroll atop a confident, purposeful Latin beat that jogs underneath "Nothing At All." This entertaining song reaps benefits from its mature compositional structure and a very intelligent arrangement. "The Game of Love" is next, the tune that got the most radio exposure and did the album a lot of favors by climbing up into the top five on the singles chart. While not as incurably catchy as "Smooth," it does uphold the group's standard of integrity by featuring Michelle Branch's cool vocal and an array of the group's signature sounds. For "You Are My Kind" the band adopted a flowing-yet-aggressive approach that propels this simple song and gives it an admirable character. The then in-vogue flat drum ambience they use on "Amore (Sexo)" had me worried at first but Karl's hot congas and percussion quickly joining in allayed my anxiety in a flash. The number turns out to be a sassy, south-of-the-border deal with the voice of spunky Macy Gray electrifying the track.

"Foo Foo" is an energy-filled, one-mile relay sprint wherein the ensemble assembled erects a fabulous, festive atmosphere. I don't know what they're singing, exactly, but I can tell they're having a rave up doing it. This tune probably killed in concert because every musician gets a turn filling in a gap and showing off at the same time. Carlos' "Victory is Won" follows and it's a lush instrumental with beautiful melody lines and strong drums from Shrieve that endow it with big cojones. Ginty's Hammond solo is exceptional while Santana's guitar ride is passionate and, at times, splendidly out-of-control. I knew it had to come eventually but the tattooed hip-hop bunny finally intrudes in the form of "Since Supernatural." At least they didn't abandon all melodic sensibilities, making this cut almost passable but I'm not comfortable with the "let's glorify the group" slant that I initially noticed on their last disc. To me it's pandering and beneath them. A toweringly fat, proggy opening for "America" belies the arena rock persona this song portrays without apology. I'm not all that impressed with the tune itself but Carlos makes it worthwhile by tearing the roof off the studio with his intense guitar ride. The bluesy air that surrounds "Sideways" clears the air efficiently without it becoming another tired dose of "da blooz." Some guy named Citizen Cope's singing and the uplifting, semi-reggae feel make this cut really stick out in a good way. Chad Kroeger of Nickelback wrote and does vocal duty on "Why Don't You and I," a pop/rock ditty that manages to not be patronizing, at least. It may've been a #8 hit but I find it rather unassuming and inconsequential.

"Feels Like Fire" features Dido crooning into the microphone and it's fairly tame contemporary fare that passes by without incident. Where's the fire? Yawn. The startling wake up call that is "Aye, Aye, Aye" is an instant cure for complacency, however, fueled by wonderfully busy Latin percussion and an irrepressible drive courtesy of Michael. This track emphasizes the fun side of Santana and makes up for a lot of the record's marginal moments. "Hoy es Adios" is a slower-paced, modern Mexican ballad whose most distinguishing assets are Carlos' acoustic guitar playing and the light, imaginative keyboard effects that surround Alejandro Lerner's emotional singing. "One of These Days" is next and its edgy samba/rock beat grants the tune an identifiable "War" aura supplemented by enthusiastic, all-together-now warblings from the boys in the band on the chorus. Carlos' lead is both tasteful and stirring. From the "What the hell?" department comes "Novus," an eclectic mixture of a percussive undertow, a heavy rock guitar and Placido Domingo throating what sounds like an Italian aria. It's nothing if not intriguing, that's for sure, and damned if they don't somehow make it work! It took big ones to even try such an unlikely experiment.

The album was released on October 22, 2002 and plopped itself right at the tip top of the charts from day one so the suits at Columbia led a conga line right out onto the streets, no doubt. Admittedly, in the long run it didn't match "Supernatural" in sales and popularity (few do), but it did prove that Carlos and Company hadn't waved "adios" and retired to the retirement hacienda just yet. While it doesn't rival the magnificence of the band's first four records in any way, shape or form, I do find "Shaman" to be a better album than several of their questionable offerings over the years and it's one that I'll play from time to time for two reasons. One, I was in a funk before I put this one on today and it cheered me right up. Two, because eight of the sixteen tracks are excellent while the rest are no worse than average. I'll take that ratio any time. Three and a half stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#607919) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012

3 stars I write only a short note because I do not able to write a correct review: the music of 'Shaman' please me but... If you search the spirit of Santana... ...Boys, Santana is a Suprstar... Today is a MTV superstar! Certainly the music is good, extreme good. But for the rest? 'Shaman' is also go ... (read more)

Report this review (#236921) | Posted by 1967/ 1976 | Thursday, September 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Shaman"