SHAMAN

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 2002

1. Adouma (4:16)
2. Nothing at All (4:28)
3. The Game of Love (4:15)
4. You Are My Kind (4:20)
5. Amoré (Sexo) (3:51)
6. Foo Foo (6:29)
7. Victory Is Won (5:21)
8. Since Supernatural (4:32)
9. America (4:35)
10. Sideways (4:42)
11. Why Don't You & I (4:34)
12. Feels Like Fire (4:40)
13. Aye Aye Aye (4:48)
14. Hoy Es Adiós (4:37)
15. One of These Days (5:52)
16. Novus (4:12)

Search SANTANA Shaman lyrics

Search SANTANA Shaman tabs

- Carlos Santana / vocals, acoustic 12-stirng, nylon string & electric guitars, keyboards, timbales, rainstick
- Rene Martinez / acoustic guitar
- Musiq, Michelle Branch, Seal, Macy Gray, Chad Kroeger, Andy Vargas, JB Eckl, Alejandro Lerner, Placido Domingo, Dido, Melkie Jean, Governor Washington / vocals
- Fernando "Toby" Tobon / electric guitar, cuatro, mandolin, bass, background vocals
- Ulises Bella / saxophone
- Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Benny Reitveld / bass
- Rodney Blade, Michael Shrieve / drums
- Karl Perazzo / congas, percussion
- Dan Shea / programming
- Kike Santander, Cori Rooney, Shelene Thomas, Ozomalti, Ola Taylor, Pauline Taylor / background vocals
- P.O.D: Sonny / vocals
- Marco / guitar
- Traa / bass
- Wuv / drums

CD Arista 14737 (2002)

Thanks to Joolz for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Shaman Music

Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)Corazon (Deluxe Edition CD/DVD) (Amazon Exclusive)
RCA 2014
Remastered
SantanaSantana
Remastered
Sony 1998
Best Instrumentals (Sony)Best Instrumentals (Sony)
Extra tracks · Import
56m 5s
SANTANA INNER SECRETS CD JAPAN SICP-2875 NEW US $45.00 [0 bids]
Santana : Persuasion CD US $4.31 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Shaman by Santana (CD, Oct-2002, Arista) US $1.25 [0 bids]
Supernatural by Santana (CD, 2005, Arista / Sony BMG, Colombia) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Santana : Santana Jam CD US $4.01 Buy It Now 1h 42m
SANTANA MOONFLOWER DOUBLE UK PRESS 12" VINYL RECORD ALBUM 1977 EX/EX US $11.35 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Rock Revolution Compilatioin LP (1973) Black Sabbath Cream Santana etc US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Rock the Night (Box) Iron Butterfly, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, N CD US $5.68 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Santana - Spirits Dancing In The Flesh-Rare Yugo Press-Inner Sleeve-RTV Ljublja US $29.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Juelz Santana - What The Games Been Missing CD US $14.46 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Juelz Santana - There It Go (The Whistle Song) [Vinyl New] US $9.86 Buy It Now 2h 20m
SANTANA - MARATHON - NEW CD US $6.28 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Santana all that i am NEW Sealed featring Steven Tyler Mary J. Blige Joss cd828 US $9.49 Buy It Now 2h 38m
SANTANA OZ DIGIPAK LOOP 2 CD SET - CARLOS SANTANA - MINT CONDITION US $11.84 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Jose Ramos Santana-Santana; Royal Philharmonic Or CD NEW US $17.07 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live LP NM Gatefold KC-31308 US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
SEALED NEW SANTANA JAPAN LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER US $199.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Santana Soul SacrificeFried Neckbones CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h
SANTANA LOTUS 3 LP RARE ALBUM HOLLAND US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
CARLOS SANTANA ROCK HALL OF FAME MINT STAMP STRIP PAIR US $14.04 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Santana Marathon VTG Vinyl LP Classic Rock 1979 Columbia FC 36154 US $2.99 [0 bids]
CLYDE CRINER 'BEHIND THE SUN' US IMPORT LP CARLOS SANTANA US $14.60 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Devadip Carlos Santana Alice Coltrane - Illuminations US $29.84 Buy It Now 4h
Jim Capaldi (Traffic) - One Man Mission - RARE LP LISTEN / Carlos Santana US $6.74 Buy It Now 4h 7m
SANTANA VeraCruz 1TR HEBREW COVER ISRAEL ONLY ISRAELI PROMO 12" US $70.00 Buy It Now 4h 21m
SANTANA - SHAPE SHIFTER [SANTANA] [766929996625] - NEW CD US $6.98 Buy It Now 4h 22m
SANTANA - COMPILATION (2CD) - NEW - 24HR POST!!! US $9.73 Buy It Now 4h 27m
SANTANA "SAY IT AGAIN" AUSSIE 7in RECORD P/S US $6.14 Buy It Now 4h 35m
SANTANA Steven Tyler Just Feel RARE AUS Promo CD Single US $11.36 Buy It Now 4h 54m
JORGE SANTANA 'IT'S ALL ABOUT LOVE' US IMPORT LP TOMATO TOM-7033 US $16.23 Buy It Now 4h 55m
JORGE SANTANA 'JORGE SANTANA' US IMPORT LP TOMATO TOM-7020 US $12.98 Buy It Now 4h 55m
Santana - Supernatural CD New, Never Opened US $7.99 [0 bids]
YUGOSLAVIA / SANTANA , SAMBA PA TI - BLACK MAGIC WOMAN, SUZY 7'' SINGLE 1975 US $20.50 Buy It Now 5h 15m
SANTANA Steve Miller CHICAGO live 2 CD set Beacon Theatre NYC April 11 12 1975 US $74.95 Buy It Now 5h 25m
CD SANTANA HOW THE STORY BEGAN EARLY but ORIGINAL RECORDINGS SOUL SACRIFICE US $9.73 Buy It Now 5h 28m
CD SANTANA COLLECTION JINGO SOUL SACRIFICE PERSUASION US $8.11 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Santana~She's Not There/Zulu. 7"@45. 1977 US $5.80 [0 bids]
SANTANA - CORAZON - CD - NEW US $14.47 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Santana - Lotus - 1975 CBS 66325 Triple Vinyl US $64.98 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Santana and Dr John - Fillmore West Original Concert Poster Sept 1970 BG248 US $154.32 [0 bids]
SANTANA/RZEE JACKSON - Lovers Holiday - 7" US $8.51 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Santana CARAVANSERAI cd REMASTER Neal Schon Gregg Rolie US $2.99 [0 bids]
Columbia santana welcome album US $5.00 [0 bids]
Abraxas by Santana (Vinyl, COLUMBIA STEREO US $5.00 [0 bids]
We Run Ny Jim Jones & Juelz Santana MUSIC CD US $11.63 Buy It Now 6h 28m
4 x 70s CDs SANTANA ELO GLORIA GAYNOR FUNKADELIC JACKSONS HEATWAVE DR HOOK US $4.79 [0 bids]
DRIVING CD SANTANA KULA SHAKER SPIN DOCTORS SANTANA BOSTON MEAT LOAF BYRDS MAC US $4.79 [0 bids]
Lot of 12 8 track tapes santana quincy jones queen dionne warwick more... US $9.99 [0 bids]
CARLOS SANTANA & BUDDY MILES 'LIVE' UK LP US $14.60 Buy It Now 6h 40m
CARLOS SANTANA MAHAVISHNU 'LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER' UK LP A1/B1 US $16.23 Buy It Now 6h 40m
SANTANA MOONFLOWER 1977 COLUMBIA 2 RECORD SET GATFOLD BL34916 US $11.04 Buy It Now 6h 41m
, SANTANA 7" PS JAPAN BLACK MAGIC WOMAN,OYE COMO VA US $11.00 Buy It Now 6h 42m
SANTANA 'WELCOME' UK LP US $12.98 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SANTANA 'CARAVANSERAI' UK LP US $14.60 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SANTANA 'LATIN TROPICAL' UK LP US $16.23 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SANTANA 'SANTANA'S GREATEST HITS' UK LP US $12.98 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SANTANA 'SANTANA III' UK LP MATRIX A1/B1 US $21.10 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SANTANA 'SANTANA' BRAND NEW SEALED RE-ISSUE LP ON 180 GRAM VINYL US $37.28 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SANTANA 'MARATHON' UK LP US $12.98 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SANTANA 'AMIGOS' UK LP US $14.60 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SANTANA 'BEYOND APPEARANCES' UK LP US $14.60 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Santana Shango Kendun 1982 1st Press ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic CLEAN US $35.10 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Santana Abraxas Analog Re-Issue A+ Sound! ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $42.90 Buy It Now 6h 56m
VARIOUS ARTISTS 'AMERICAN DREAMS' UK 2 x LP AIRPLANE STEPPENWOLF SANTANA SKYNYRD US $16.23 Buy It Now 6h 56m
PROMO CD Cheap Trick MEN AT WORK jeff lynne BYRDS cyndi lauper SANTANA 2004 US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 9m
SANTANA / CARAVANSERAI JAPAN CD OOP US $27.99 Buy It Now 7h 19m
JUELZ SANTANA - WHAT THE GAME'S BEEN MISSING! [PA] - NEW CD US $6.08 Buy It Now 7h 36m
SANTANA - ROCK- OYE COMO VA / SAMBA PA TI US $15.99 Buy It Now 7h 37m
SANTANA-ROCK-BLACK MAGIC WOMAN/HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTER US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 37m
Between Good and Evil by Santana (CD, Sep-2002, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $8.00 [0 bids]
SANTANA - LOVE SONGS [SANTANA] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $7.76 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Supernatural by Santana (CD, Jun-1999, Arista) US $4.50 [0 bids]
Santana: Spirits Dancing in the Flesh (Like New Cassette) US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Omar Santana & And Evan Gamble Lewis - Dub Step: Dubterranean (NEW CD) US $17.45 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Omar Santana - Hardcore For The Headstrong 5 (NEW CD) US $17.45 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Santana-Santana III LP 1971 Columbia US EX/VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
SANTANA moonflower LP 19 track double album in gatefold sleeve with inners (8827 US $11.92 Buy It Now 8h
Divine Light: Reconstruction & Mix Translation: Bill Laswell -Carlos Santana NEW US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
6 Vintage Record Sleeves & Poster. Beatles Hendrix Santana Fleetwood Mac Disney US $9.99 [0 bids]
VINTAGE MUSIC CD...SANTANA...THE BEST OF SANTANA...EX USED COND US $4.95 [0 bids]
Santana - Marathon - 180g Audiophile Vinyl LP Record from Friday Music NEW 2014 US $34.03 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Santana/Guitar Heaven:The Greatest Guitar Classics Of All Time(BRAND NEW CD) US $11.49 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Santana - Abraxas US $4.87 [0 bids]
Santana - Welcome US $3.25 [0 bids]
Santana ?- Santana's Greatest Hits US $3.74 Buy It Now 8h 27m
Dub Step: Dubterranean 2 - Ill Skillz - Omar Santana & And Evan Gam (NEW 2 x CD) US $18.26 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Santana - Marathon - Rock LP SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
SANTANA: SPIRITS DANCING IN THE FLESH: DEMO. COPY: CBS LP 466913-1: EX / EX US $24.35 Buy It Now 8h 33m
VIVA! SANTANA: THE VERY BEST Vinyl LP inc OYE COMO VA, SAMBA PA TI, WELL ALRIGHT US $11.35 Buy It Now 8h 40m
SANTANA-ABRAXAS-SIMPLY VINYL SVLP 019 LIMITED EDITION UK NEW SEALED LP US $23.98 Buy It Now 9h
SANTANA Abraxas CD Japan 9 tracks CBS Sony 28DP-1017 US $9.99 [1 bids]
Santana "Zebop!"LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 9h 6m
The Best of - Santana CD Greatest Hits Sealed ! New ! US $6.48 Buy It Now 9h 16m
SANTANA / SELF TITLED LP 1st PRESS STEREO US $3.23 [0 bids]
SANTANA (The Essential Collection) 2 X CD Box Set (New Unsealed) US $6.32 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Bob Dylan/Santana 1984 UK Tour Programme + Ticket US $24.37 Buy It Now 9h 28m
DEVADIP CARLOS SANTANA ONENESS SILVER DREAMS GOLDEN REALITY RARE 1979 G/FOLD LP* US $21.04 Buy It Now 9h 37m

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SANTANA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SANTANA Shaman ratings distribution

SANTANA Shaman reviews

Review by Chris S
3 stars Shaman is basically a rerun of Supernatural. How could Carlos Santana possibly turn away from repeating such a successful formula that he achieved on Supernatural? He is a megarich superstar so why not repeat the formula again, but in defense of CS, 25% of all royalties up to one million units sold were donated to the Milagro Children's Charity Foundation. The album is borderline 3 stars and the highlights for me are the ever so catchy ' The Game Of Love' sung by Michelle Branch.' You Are My Kind' featuring Seal on vocals, ' One Of These Days' featuring Ozomatli. As with Supernatural you are guaranteed safe listening with some able musicians in the mix, but don't expect any miracles.He needs to do another studio album again soon. I was lucky to see the Shaman tour live in 2002/3 in the UK and the show was a definite winner.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#104817) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Santana revived with "Supernatural". Can you imagine that TWENTY-FIVE million albums were sold ? It won NINE grammy awards and went FIFTEEN tilmes paltinium in the States. Not too bad for someone who was almost retired...

Nothing but normal that our dear friend Carlos newly re-born tried to create a follow-up and release another similar album.

Some catchy songs will be features here but none as "Smoooth" for instance. The best that you can expect from this album is some fantastic guitar riffs from the master.

Like in : "Game Of Love" (which would have been poor otherwise but this remark is valid almost throughout the album), "You Are My Kind", "Victory Is One" the fifteenth or so (I stopped counting, really) attempt of another "Samba Pa' Ti". As usual it is my fave of the album (but if you've read some of my Santana reviews, you know by now that I am completely biased by this great song).

Furious guitar during "America", passionate ones in "Feels Like Fire" (another poor song, though). "Novus" with vocals from ...Plácido Domingo is also a good song. Nice acoustic (Spanish style) as well as electric guitar.

You can expect the worse as well : "Foo Foo", "Sideways" (a quiet jazzy one). But even then, Carlos will be very inspired. The soul "Why Don't You And I" is not my cup of tea either. Like "Let Me Love You Tonight", the well titled "Aye Aye Aye" and finally " One Of Those Days".

Actually, the second part of the album is poor (except "Novus"). Lack of inspiration, I guess.

I hope that one day, Carlos will fully return to his great latin-rock of the debut. I have read on Greg Rolie's web-site that Carlos, Mike (Carabello) and Gregg played together in January 2007 for a benefit concert. If only the second half of the band would ...but I guess that I'm dreaming.

Two stars for this album only thanks to the short (but plentiful) guitar moments. This album will be twice platinum...It is also far too lenghty.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#131950) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 05, 2007

Review by Petrovsk Mizinski
1 stars This album vety much continues the highly successful formula of Supernatural, which went 15 times Platinum and won 9 Grammy awards. So given that, if Carlos Santana wanted more money, why stray from the formula? Carlos assembled many famous pop, hip and rap artists to feature on this album. While the Latin influence hasn't disappeared, if you're hoping to hear something dangerous and exciting here, you will find, as I did, this album falls flat on it's face in that department. But given Supernatural was hardly better, I'm not surprised.

I am not really familar with any of the featured artist, in terms of their music anyway, and the only artist I had heard of prior to listening to this album was P.O.D. The album has some very nice lead guitar, which I expected from someone of Carlos Santana's ability. Unfortunately, he is often overshadowed by the featuring artist/s and it is only when we hear a guitar lick from Carlos that we are reminded he is still there. The guest vocalist on Why Don't You & I, Chad Kroeger, has this annoying quality to his voice I can't describe well enough in words, but chances are you will know what I mean if you listen to it. Fortunately, some of the other singers, like Michelle Branch, have nice voices. But that won't save this album from being poorly conceived and a general mess. And when I said highly successful formula I obviously didn't mean that is was successful in the musical sense.

Santana need to take a long hard look at themselves, and really need to see they should have quit while they were ahead. I cannot recommend this album to anyone unfortunately, if you want to hear good Santana, go to an earlier time in their discography.

Send comments to Petrovsk Mizinski (BETA) | Report this review (#172522) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars Santana after few years tried to use successfull formula of Supernatural one more time. And , what is the result?

I like his Supernatural as his best album of last 10+ years. But there it didn't work. The duets again, it's not bad, but the difference is quite serious.

You can hear Santana in duets with hip-hop, rap, house singers/musicians ( not stars!) here. And The Magic is gone. In many cases he and his guitar sound absolutely out of place in that music. It reminds the old guy who came to his grandsons weekend party sountrack. Old guy trying to be "in trend" and sometimes even plays some old fashioned melodies in his guitar. Youngsters generaly likes this old freak, so somitimes even let him play both together with them.

So, Santana sounds old ,retired and out of place. Youngsters play their music, which doesn't mean nothing to any person with college + education and older than 19. So, if you will record the sountrack of this party, "Shaman" is done.

It's pity that Santana lost his successfull musical return ( with "Supernatural "). And it will be even more pity, when Santana will try few more years later just to repeat this formula one more time ( again, without any success at all!)

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238772) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review by Chicapah
4 stars I was happy for Carlos and his namesake band when their 1999 "comeback" album aptly entitled "Supernatural" turned out to be one of the most successful of its kind ever, garnering the coveted Album of the Year Grammy award and the recognition they so deserved for decades of making a positive difference in the world of music. However, I found the record itself to be inconsistent and often too dependent on trying to be "trendy" by including way, way too much of the rap and hip-hop mentality that I find musically degrading and primitive most of the time. It came off more as a guest star-studded tribute project than a true Santana album and to this day I still consider it to be only slightly above average in overall quality. So, when the follow-up, "Shaman," was released in 2002 I didn't expect much at all. Kinda like someone making a sequel to a blockbuster movie. If you didn't like the first one (and even if you did), chances are you'll be majorly disappointed with Act Two, as well. In fact, I held off giving it a listen for almost a decade for fear of aurally witnessing another one of my heroes selling his soul in response to the lure of the almighty dollar but I'm glad to report that I find it an improvement over rather than a continuation of its predecessor's unevenness. Santana's reputation remains intact.

One huge reason is that Carlos settled on a cadre of talented musicians to construct the basic tracks this time around instead of having a revolving door of unfamiliar personnel traipse through the studio, a flawed ploy that contributed to the wild variations in the foundational sound that so bugged me about many of the cuts on "Supernatural." Having the great Michael Shrieve man the drum kit for every session was a very wise decision and locking in keyboard man John Ginty and percussion virtuoso Karl Perazza for continuity didn't hurt, either. I'm sure that Columbia Records, hoping for a repeat of '99, encouraged (i.e. begged) Carlos to bring in another Pro Bowl cast of iconic virtuosos to populate the tracks, thus upping the odds of success and making their marketing job easier. But instead, by restricting the invited dignitaries' contributions to mainly vocals, the results were more in line with what we've come to expect from him and his cohorts.

They make a bold statement with the opener, "Adouma." The tune charges out of the gate with a refreshing blast of what makes Santana such a unique joy; unyielding rhythms, melodic themes and scorching riffs. Spanish guitar and Musiq Soulchild's lone voice stroll atop a confident, purposeful Latin beat that jogs underneath "Nothing At All." This entertaining song reaps benefits from its mature compositional structure and a very intelligent arrangement. "The Game of Love" is next, the tune that got the most radio exposure and did the album a lot of favors by climbing up into the top five on the singles chart. While not as incurably catchy as "Smooth," it does uphold the group's standard of integrity by featuring Michelle Branch's cool vocal and an array of the group's signature sounds. For "You Are My Kind" the band adopted a flowing-yet-aggressive approach that propels this simple song and gives it an admirable character. The then in-vogue flat drum ambience they use on "Amore (Sexo)" had me worried at first but Karl's hot congas and percussion quickly joining in allayed my anxiety in a flash. The number turns out to be a sassy, south-of-the-border deal with the voice of spunky Macy Gray electrifying the track.

"Foo Foo" is an energy-filled, one-mile relay sprint wherein the ensemble assembled erects a fabulous, festive atmosphere. I don't know what they're singing, exactly, but I can tell they're having a rave up doing it. This tune probably killed in concert because every musician gets a turn filling in a gap and showing off at the same time. Carlos' "Victory is Won" follows and it's a lush instrumental with beautiful melody lines and strong drums from Shrieve that endow it with big cojones. Ginty's Hammond solo is exceptional while Santana's guitar ride is passionate and, at times, splendidly out-of-control. I knew it had to come eventually but the tattooed hip-hop bunny finally intrudes in the form of "Since Supernatural." At least they didn't abandon all melodic sensibilities, making this cut almost passable but I'm not comfortable with the "let's glorify the group" slant that I initially noticed on their last disc. To me it's pandering and beneath them. A toweringly fat, proggy opening for "America" belies the arena rock persona this song portrays without apology. I'm not all that impressed with the tune itself but Carlos makes it worthwhile by tearing the roof off the studio with his intense guitar ride. The bluesy air that surrounds "Sideways" clears the air efficiently without it becoming another tired dose of "da blooz." Some guy named Citizen Cope's singing and the uplifting, semi-reggae feel make this cut really stick out in a good way. Chad Kroeger of Nickelback wrote and does vocal duty on "Why Don't You and I," a pop/rock ditty that manages to not be patronizing, at least. It may've been a #8 hit but I find it rather unassuming and inconsequential.

"Feels Like Fire" features Dido crooning into the microphone and it's fairly tame contemporary fare that passes by without incident. Where's the fire? Yawn. The startling wake up call that is "Aye, Aye, Aye" is an instant cure for complacency, however, fueled by wonderfully busy Latin percussion and an irrepressible drive courtesy of Michael. This track emphasizes the fun side of Santana and makes up for a lot of the record's marginal moments. "Hoy es Adios" is a slower-paced, modern Mexican ballad whose most distinguishing assets are Carlos' acoustic guitar playing and the light, imaginative keyboard effects that surround Alejandro Lerner's emotional singing. "One of These Days" is next and its edgy samba/rock beat grants the tune an identifiable "War" aura supplemented by enthusiastic, all-together-now warblings from the boys in the band on the chorus. Carlos' lead is both tasteful and stirring. From the "What the hell?" department comes "Novus," an eclectic mixture of a percussive undertow, a heavy rock guitar and Placido Domingo throating what sounds like an Italian aria. It's nothing if not intriguing, that's for sure, and damned if they don't somehow make it work! It took big ones to even try such an unlikely experiment.

The album was released on October 22, 2002 and plopped itself right at the tip top of the charts from day one so the suits at Columbia led a conga line right out onto the streets, no doubt. Admittedly, in the long run it didn't match "Supernatural" in sales and popularity (few do), but it did prove that Carlos and Company hadn't waved "adios" and retired to the retirement hacienda just yet. While it doesn't rival the magnificence of the band's first four records in any way, shape or form, I do find "Shaman" to be a better album than several of their questionable offerings over the years and it's one that I'll play from time to time for two reasons. One, I was in a funk before I put this one on today and it cheered me right up. Two, because eight of the sixteen tracks are excellent while the rest are no worse than average. I'll take that ratio any time. Three and a half stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#607919) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012

3 stars I write only a short note because I do not able to write a correct review: the music of 'Shaman' please me but... If you search the spirit of Santana... ...Boys, Santana is a Suprstar... Today is a MTV superstar! Certainly the music is good, extreme good. But for the rest? 'Shaman' is also go ... (read more)

Report this review (#236921) | Posted by 1967/ 1976 | Thursday, September 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Shaman"