FORMLESS

Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Lotus (1:14)
2. Atmas Heave (5:10)
3. Moksha (5:29)
4. Open Close The Book (4:58)
5. Garuda (2:53)

- Alan Goldstein / basses, Fretless bass
- Giann Rubio / drums
- Sean Reinert / drums

CD Dobles Music (2006)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

AGHORA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy AGHORA Formless Music

AghoraAghora
Dobles Productions 2000
FormlessFormless
Season of Mist 2007

More places to buy AGHORA music online Buy AGHORA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for AGHORA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

AGHORA Formless ratings distribution

AGHORA Formless reviews

Review by Negoba
3 stars Good, but could have been so much more.

I got this group on various internet radio Prog Metal mixes and became addicted to the song Fade. This song included some jazzy clean guitar along with the crunch. Eastern influence are also found here and there on the album, most prominently on the intro and outro tracks which are strangely short. I was hoping for more of that ethnic feel incorporated into the music, but for the most part this is pretty straight female-fronted technical metal. In that sense it suffers from what many of these acts do, which is lack of melodic sense. Which is not to say the singer doesn't have a good voice, but the vocals seemed tacked on the top of songs that were already composed.

The technicals chops of the guitarist are quite impressive. The jazziness of the leads adds a very good flavor, and I like the leads here as much as Symphony X. The riffs are fine, though nothing outstanding, and the guitar tone is typical for genre but not my favorite. The rhythm section is solid.

Overall there are some good songs, but a sameness to the album that I've only listened all the way through once. I do have Fade on several playlists and enjoy the more exotic tracks. Also, as a guitar player, it's always cool to find a new shredder who's actually got something interesting to say.

This is filed under technical metal which is correct, but it has more in common with Symphony X than Death or Opeth.

Good, but non-essential describes it well.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#200498) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 24, 2009

Review by JJLehto
4 stars My younger brother introduced me to Aghora. I remember a time when it used to be the other way around... Regardless, I am glad he did! Aghora, and their album Formless, are truly wonderful! Formless is one of my favorite Prog-Metal albums. It has heavy, crushing riffs, blistering double bass, and wonderful guitar solos. However, this is no standard metal album. Virtually every song has several musical interludes featuring clean, jazzy guitar, melodic solos, and very jazz inspired drumming. Then it shifts back to it's crushing riffs, double bass drumming, and metal solo's.

Santiago Dobles lays down some amazing riffs, some of my favorite ones of ANY metal band. However, he shows his ability for melody and technicality, and it often sounds beautiful. Diana Serra on vocals is just amazing. Her voice is simply beautiful, and very soothing. While it fits perfectly for the slower, melodic sections it sounds just as good over the metal riffs as well. As a drummer, I always appreciate an album with great drumming, and this one sure has it! Sean Reinert, (formerly from Death, and Cynic) is brilliant. While he can lay down some good double bass, he has some superb jazz beats, solos, and overall...he just lays down some great sounding beats. My favorite aspect of the album for sure!

The first and last tracks, (Lotus and Purification) are very Eastern/Tribal sounding. Perhaps the way to describe it is "World Music". My personal favorite songs are Atmas Heave and Dime, (an instrumental). 1316 has an especially heavy beginning, while Moksha has a wonderful heavy, yet groovy, riff through most of the song. Open Close the Book has a great phaser/trippy intro before it plunges into the riff.

However, few albums are perfect. While every songs sounds good, none really standout. That is this album's only flaw in my opinion. All the songs do sound a bit the same, and can be predictable. While they all do sound nice, and of course each song is different, they all have a pattern. Heavy riff, followed by melodic section, then another heavy section, followed by another melodic one, (often with a metal solo). While it is the albums only problem, it is a major one. Again, I love the way it all sounds, but it is quite predictable...

Overall, I give this album 4 stars. If you are a fan of Prog-Metal, (or even Metal in general) I highly recommend this CD.

Send comments to JJLehto (BETA) | Report this review (#213720) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 04, 2009

3 stars AGHORA are a very talented band based in Miami, Florida. Some big changes in the lineup since their debut. Sean Malone is gone which hurts, we get a new vocalsist Diana Serra who's excellent to say the least, and a new drummer although Sean Reinert drums on about half of the tracks still.

"Lotus" is very exotic sounding and is dedicated to John McLaughlin. "Atmas Heave" opens with the pedal to the metal right off the hop. Deep riffs follow and crisp drumming before the vocals come in. I must say the guitar work often reminds me of Jasun Tipton from ZERO HOUR. It settles before 2 minutes and sounds amazing. It doesn't last long though as contrasts continue. "Moksha" sounds great to open before it settles as the vocals arrive. Contrasts continue. The crunchy guitar sounds outstanding on this one. "Open Close The Book" doesn't do anything for me lyrically that's for sure but it opens with thunderous drums but settles when vocals come in. Yes this contrast of styles continues. "Garuda" opens with laid back guitar as drums and percussion come in. The tempo starts to pick up. Here we go ! An all out assault with blistering guitar leads. Nice. "Dual Alchemy" is aggressive right from the start but settles with vocals rather quickly as contrasts continue. Love the atmosphere that comes in at 3 minutes. Killer guitar follows.

"Dime" is a tribute to Dimebag Darrell and it's an instrumental. It's heavy to open then it calms down as contrasts continue. "1316" is intense with vocals. It settles before 2 minutes. It's intense again ! "Fade" is a top three track for me. Some guest flamenco guitar to open as bass comes in. This is all fairly mellow as reserved vocals come in. It kicks in around a minute but not for long. Check out the guitar before 2 minutes grinding away as Diana sings. Nice bass before 4 minutes. "Skinned" is uptempo with vocals. I like when it settles down before 1 1/2 minutes. Contrasts continue. Great guitar 5 minutes in. "Mahayana" opens fast and heavy. Some prominant bass before 2 minutes. Again the heavy and lighter sections are contrasted. "Formless" is my favourite by far. Vocals and heavy riffs right away before it settles 3 minutes in. Amazing section. I like when the guitar comes in at 4 minutes and it builds. It kicks back in with Tipton-like guitar. Great sound 7 1/2 minutes in. "Purification" is another exotic sounding track like the opening song. This one has vocals though.

My biggest complaint is the way the songs all seem to follow the same pattern. As I was writing notes I found myself repeating the same things over and over. This has really grown on me though but it's not quite 4 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#220349) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 08, 2009

5 stars This album caught me by surprise. Having never listened to this band before, and extreme progressive-metal generally residing on the outskirts of my musical territory, I was immediately captivated by this release. From the exotic opening notes of "Lotus", which kind of sets the table for the mid ... (read more)

Report this review (#276048) | Posted by pfdfcc | Saturday, April 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I ask myself why sometimes the conaisseurs in prog are so pretentious?!?!Why?!?!This album has everything to be considered a brilliant album in prog metal.offering something quite unusual-a sensational female vocalist,the superbe DIANA SERRA which is simply astonishing!If we think that an albu ... (read more)

Report this review (#252529) | Posted by Ovidiu | Tuesday, November 24, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After 7 years you might expect something more brave or adventurous, but this band decided to go the same path... almost the same line. In here, Mr. Dobles opted to show a more heavy (nu-metal meets symphonyc metal) style with the new voice of DIANA SERRA. Honestly is a good record, but non-essen ... (read more)

Report this review (#141863) | Posted by arqwave | Wednesday, October 03, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars At the time of listening to this album me dí account of the great quality of musicians who compose this band, already in the first album demonstrates towards where it goes directed his style, with guitars that and you break rythmical huge. In this east album style consolidates and finishes being b ... (read more)

Report this review (#130997) | Posted by chelme | Tuesday, July 31, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Aghora’s second studio album features a lot of changes in their line-ups, including the vocalist Danishta Rivero who replaced with Diana Serra. The vocal change is probably the most obvious ones here, because Serra has a lower voice than Rivero. Personally, I prefer Serra’s voices mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#129753) | Posted by kazansky | Sunday, July 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well,one more very nice work from this group.Great songs,very good passages,great drummer and guitarplayer performance,but the famale singer is awesome,sweet and balance voice.What i can say,nothing more and wait more albums from this creative but unknow group,at most in my country (Brasil).I ... (read more)

Report this review (#108985) | Posted by | Friday, January 26, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of AGHORA "Formless"