SECOND GENERATION (SCENES FROM 1975-1977)

Van Der Graaf Generator

Van Der Graaf Generator Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1986

1. The Undercover Man (7:25)
2. Scorched Earth (9:46)
3. The Sleepwalkers (10:32)
4. Pilgrims (7:12)
5. Still Life (7:20)
6. When She Comes (7:58)
7. The Siren Song* (6:04)
8. Cat's Eye / Yellow Fever (Running)* (5:20)
9. Wondering (6:33)

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) lyrics

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) tabs

- Peter Hammill / vocals, guitars, pianos
- Hugh Banton / organs, bass pedals and guitars, mellotron, piano (except no *)
- Guy Evans / drums and percussion
- David Jackson / saxes, flute (except no 7, 8)
- Graham Smith / violin, viola (No 7, 8 only)
- Nic Poter / bass (No 7, 8 only)

and to Fassbinder for the last updates

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) Music

The BoxThe Box
Box set · Import · Remastered
EMI Import 2000
Van Der Graaf Generator/Godbluff/CD Album US $13.43 Buy It Now 1h 27m
"World Record"VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 1976 (Peter Hammill) Charisma Vinyl LP EXC US $72.26 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is NEW CD US $8.25 Buy It Now 2h 13m
PROGRESSIVE - VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "AEROSOL GREY MACHINE" FONTANA GERMAN 1969 US $23.50 [2 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR STILL LIFE UK 1976 A1/B1 CHARISMA 12" VINYL RECORD LP US $1.75 [3 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator STILL LIFE 2005 JAPAN MINI LP CD OBI Peter Hammill MINT US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other [LP] by Van der Graaf Generator (Vinyl US $21.35 Buy It Now 6h 40m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Aerosol Grey Machine LP SEALED US $12.49 Buy It Now 9h 3m
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff NEW CD US $10.05 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is NEW CD US $10.05 Buy It Now 9h 22m
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He Who Am The Onl NEW CD US $10.05 Buy It Now 9h 22m
PETER HAMMILL singularity UK CD VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LY91 US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 37m
Trisector Van Der Graaf Generator Audio CD US $14.67 Buy It Now 15h 24m
CAS-1051 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR PAWN HEARTS PINK CHARISMA 1U/1U US $3.31 [4 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Pawn Hearts - 180 gram vinyl gatefold LP US $37.80 Buy It Now 19h 46m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LP " Godbluff " GTR records Canada 1975' US $14.95 Buy It Now 21h 57m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-WORLD RECORD. VG+ VINYL MERCURY RECORDS. US $17.91 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator Reflection German '75 NM LP WOW prog vinyl rare! US $29.00 Buy It Now 23h 9m
Peter Hammill-A Black Box UK orig' S-Type LP 1980 Van Der Graaf Generator US $29.99 Buy It Now 23h 21m
Boxer - Bloodletting (CD 1979/2012)-Spooky Tooth/Van der Graaf Generator US $2.44 [2 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator, Pawn Hearts (Mlps) Audio CD US $17.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Boxer - Below the Belt (CD 1975/2012) Spooky Tooth/Van der Graaf Generator US $4.07 [4 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Now And Then CD GUY EVANS PETER HAMMILL HUGH BANTON US $5.25 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR -1969 -Aerosol Grey Machine" US $22.11 [0 bids]
RAW MATERIAL "SAME" UK PROG ROCK 1971 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR KING CRIMSON !!! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Pawn Hearts, Van Der Graaf Generator, New US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - A Grounding In Numbers (NEW VINYL LP) US $31.50 Buy It Now 1 day
The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other MINI LP Van Der Graaf Generator. NEW US $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Aerosol Grey Machine SEALED LP Record US $16.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Jackson / Banton / Evans - Gentlemen Prefer Blues UK LP Van Der Graaf Generator US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - STILL LIFE (BONUS) (TRACK) NEW CD US $21.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Van der Graaf Generator - H to He Who Am the Only One - CD -UK Prog - Bonus Trax US $1.99 [1 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator-Godbluff Japanese mini lp US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator-H to He Who Am the Only One Japanese mini lp US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator-Least We Can Do Is Wave Japanese mini lp US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator-Pawn Hearts Japanese mini lp US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator-Still Life Japanese mini lp US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator-The Quiet Zone Japanese mini lp US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator-World Record Japanese mini lp US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Still Life - Van Der Graaf Generator (2005, CD New) US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR/ Now and Then (CD, Sep-2009, Eastworld (UK)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts UK Prog ORIG '71 PINK Label Lp PETER HAMMILL US $199.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR TIME VAULTS CD VDGG HAMMILL JACKSON BANTON EVANS US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van der Graaf Generator - Classic Albums (First Generation/Godbluff, 2012) US $13.09 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator "Still Life" Charisma CAS 1116 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Still Life Van Der Graaf Generator CD US $8.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life [CD New] US $11.23 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL flexi AIRPORT red or clear vinyl RARE Van Der Graaf Generator US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator flexi TARZAN red or blue vinyl rare HAMMILL US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator flexi BLACK ROOM p.2 brown or blue vinyl rare HAMMILL US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator H To He Who Am The Only One CD US $10.67 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator flexi CUSTARD'S LAST STAND brown or yellowl HAMMILL US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator flexi KILLER P.1 green or yellow RARE HAMMILL US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR: Recorded Live in London (2CD/1DVD - Sealed) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Godbluff Limited Deluxe Gatefold Vinyl 2LP Set US $42.01 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other 180G VINYL LP US $42.01 Buy It Now 3 days
The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome, Mini LP Japan Slipcase Van der Graaf Generator US $12.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR: H To He Who Am The Only One LP (180 gram reissue) Rock US $18.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van der Graaf Generator - 1st Generation (1987) CD - FREE FASTPOST US $8.39 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR: H To He, Who Am The Only One (Rock & Pop Charisma VG+) US $19.94 [0 bids]
2013 VDGG VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR STILL LIFE JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD BONUS TRACK US $32.00 Buy It Now 3 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR THE QUIET ZONE JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD BONUS TRACK US $32.00 Buy It Now 3 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR VITAL LIVE JAPAN SHM MINI LP 2 CD SET US $42.50 Buy It Now 3 days
2013 VDGG VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR PAWN HEARTS JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD BONUS TRACK US $32.00 Buy It Now 3 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR THE LEAST WE CAN DO JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD BONUS TRK US $32.00 Buy It Now 3 days
2013 VDGG VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR WORLD RECORD JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD BONUS TRAC US $32.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Present - Van der Graaf Generator (2-CD'S) US $13.99 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator-H to He Who Am the Only One cd 2 bonus remaster US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator N.Y. 78 Reno Records Live Beacon Theatre Peter Hammill US $20.00 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE, 2012 UK vinyl 2LP, NEW! US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life CD US $28.19 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - H To He Who Am The Only One - LP US $34.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Van der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other (2005 Virgin US $12.95 [0 bids]
Van der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine (FIE 9116 - 11 Tracks) US $14.95 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-PAWN HEARTS-ORIG US PROMO LP US $35.00 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-Lot of 2 magazine adverts US $5.03 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR JAPAN OBI Replica TO THE ORIGINAL IN A CD Sealed Box Set US $499.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Quiet Zone/the Ple NEW CD US $8.25 Buy It Now 4 days
Van der Graaf Generator-The Long Hello-United Artists 29718-ITALY US $29.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 68 - 71 UK pressing vinyl LP - CHARISMA prog/psych/moog US $19.99 [0 bids]
Progressive Rock LP: Van Der Graaf Generator ~ The Least We Can Do Is Wave US $30.00 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H to He Who am the Only One US Press 1970 vinyl LP ABC US $12.50 [4 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR A Grounding In Numbers VINYL LP US $38.64 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf Generator, Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other, Original recordi US $28.22 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf Generator, World Record (Mlps), Limited Edition, Import US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios US $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill & K Group: The Margin(Live) 2xLP UK Van der Graaf Generator US $15.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SEALED VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR STILL LIFE 8-TRACK TAPE NEW Add Godbluff at $1 US $19.97 Buy It Now 4 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 4 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H To He Who Am JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 4 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 4 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Godbluff JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 4 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR World Record JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 4 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Quiet Zone JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 4 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR VITAL LIVE JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $42.50 Buy It Now 4 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Vital Live 2-CD NEW Japan Mini LP Sleeve w/obi Remaster US $34.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One (Vinyl LP) New US $30.26 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (Vinyl LP) (180gm Vinyl) (Gatefold) New US $31.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf Generator The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other (Vinyl LP) US $30.59 Buy It Now 4 days
1975 - VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Godbluff + UK Tour - Press Advert Poster Size US $15.11 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) reviews

Review by Man Erg
3 stars A bit of an oddity.This is the first compilation of the re-formed and subsequently re-named VdGG/Van der Graaf.Peter Hammill had been persuing a solo career whilst the other members of the band had formed The Long Hello. This compilation starts with a trio of track from the stunning 'comeback' album,Godbluff. My personal favourite from that album ,The Arrow is omitted. What sort of marketing ploy Charisma were up to I can only guess at.Three tracks from a four track album! Needless to say these tracks are brilliant in all there austere,menacing beauty. Next we have a brace from the follow-up album ,Still Life.The first,Pilgrims is a fantastic song full of suspence and a very Hammill solo style melody in the songs final coda. Still Life follows.The polar opposite of Pilgrims.It is dark,eerie and almost Edgar Allan Poe- esque in it's lyrical imigery.Death and defication, 'Hers forever In Still Life' muses Hammill in probably one of the darkest love songs that you'll ever hear. When She Comes follows .It's an up-beat rocker for VdGG.Vaguely reminiscent of what Hammill was writing for his soon to be released solo album,Over.This is one of two tracks from the World Record album,the last studio album to feature Hugh Banton and David Jackson.Wondering,the other track from World Record is mysteriously stuck on the end of this record, out of sequence,it is a great track to end an album with it's yearning plea as to whether 'It's All Been True.Segueing When She Comes and Wondering are two tracks from the re-monikered Van der Graaf. This line-up features bassist Nic Potter from the Least We Can Do...to the Pawn Hearts band.The other new member is violinist Graham Smith formally of label-mates Sring Driven Thing. The two tracks from Van der Graafs only studio album,Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome. were a change in style. Lighter without losing the trade mark menacing edge.The sound also had a punky/new wave feel,contempory with the then current music scene. The music on this album cannot be faulted.Its just perfunctory.Buy The Box and the featured studio albums for a better over-view on the latter VdGG/VdG incarnation.

Send comments to Man Erg (BETA) | Report this review (#8068) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 15, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars The record company (Virgin records which took over Charisma and decided to capitalize a bit on the back catologue in releasing compils of this kind) released two very good VDGG compilations at the same time. Each of them representing one period of VDGG. This one is not sub-par to the first one. I consider their second ... generation the best ones in terms of harmonies and catchy songs. Easier to enter into in comparison with their first era (IMO).

Both being quite remarkable in terms of quality output (second one ending, as far as I'm concerned, with "A World Record"). Like the previous compilation, I will compile my reviews as well (taking my original one from the according number present on this effort). I hope you got the idea.

"The Undercover Man" is one of my all time VDGG fave (all periods). Light flute in the intro, "peaceful" vocals to start. Very melodious. The band then joins : first Hugh with subtle organ in the background. Vocals then turns out to be incredibly sentimental while the band plays crescendo and reaches full power. How great a track ! A pure beauty. The middle instrumental section in the middle is very strong but never enters into this weird part so typical of VDGG first era. Its finale is so emotional and beautiful. I remember that I was really charmed by this song when I got the album (Godbluff).

With "Scorched Earth" we enter the more classical repertoire, less melodious, darker, intricated. It is a very well built song, with a very tortured Peter and some outrageous sax from Jackson. He is so skilled at his instrument that he (but also Peter) turned me into a fan of their music although I usually do not like sax at all. The finale is just great.

"The Sleepwalkers" : I really like it a lot. The intro is just nice and gentle, but when the vocals start, it turns out to be another scary one. We'll have a cha cha cha break for some relief before an incredible strong sax part and marvelous, melodious Peter. The instrumental break shows the whole band in its full power : Banton, Evans and Jakson accomplishing a great moment of VDGG music. Really powerful and almost sublime (really). These 10'31" summarizes very well the second era of this wonderful band. Melodious at times, just complex enough during others (it would not be VDG otherwise) ! This track is so intense with the whole band playing at his best than I just felt in love with it.

"Pilgrims" : a fresh, very emotional song full of hope; a bit like "Refugees". I quote : "I've been waiting for such a long time just to see it at last, all of the hands tightly clasped, all of us pilgrims". This quiet song for most of its duration ends in a torrid sax solo with great backings from the band. Superb. I have to admit that VDGG second generation pleases me a lot. More than "Mark I". Their repertoire turned from quite obscure, frightening, extremely difficult to perceive into an almost light and accessible music (for VDGG standards of course).

It is a marvelous song. IMO it is probably to best one of their whole career (only equalled by "Refugees"). It is amazing to notice how close they are in their atmosphere but at the same time quite far from each other in terms of release. Thank you guys to delivered such a great piece of music again.

"Still Life" : is a brilliant song : good keys, discreet sax and omni-presence of the smooth vocals from Peter : "What have we bargained and what have we lost ? Unlike "Undercover Man", this one is not a crescendo song. It switches straight form light to hard. From the most subtle VDGG moments to the strongest one : great keys and sax. How fabulous is Jackson again.

I can only be disappointed that I will soon see VDGG again after an enormous break (just over thirty years) but without Jackson...(he will not be touring with the band in 2007). Banton is also great during the instrumental break. The "finale" is full of emotion, with Peter almost alone in command (but he is used to this). This is one of my Van Der Graaf all time fave (together with "Refugees" as you might know).

"When She Comes" is a clone of "Sleepwalkers" but not as strong as the original. Weird atmosphere, this track combines Peter's emotional voice and the strenght of the band (Jackson being again in great shape - as usual I should say). Peter seems to have some problems though with his voice during the finale (starting around minute six). The track ends up in a chaotic maelstrom of great sax and keys. I really like this song.

"The Siren Song" is a melancholical and acoustic one. Deep vocals and nice violin. Somewhat reminiscent of "Pilgrims" at times.

With "Cat's Eye, Yellow Fever" I have the impression that VDG is trying to produce an ELO song. Not really successfull to say the least. Press forward.

"Wondering" : is a very nice ballad, full of lyricism and melody, a bit mellowish though (some orchestrations do not really deserves this track). All in all, a very good review for this part of their career, even if "Cat's Eye..." does not fit here. Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#108592) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 23, 2007

3 stars I reviewed First Generation some months ago and it is only appropriate that I review Second Generation too. A bit of a pointless compilation album in my view. But the music is good, so......... The album starts with five of the best ever VDGG songs. The Undercover Man, Scorched Earth, The ... (read more)

Report this review (#225641) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, July 10, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Absolutely great value for money. For those who want to explore this mighty band then this has to be a good place to start. Buy this and the First Generation CD and you will have a fairly comprehensive insight into VDGG. Then of course you will want to buy the rest of the catalogue if your conve ... (read more)

Report this review (#146712) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, October 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This is a collection of songs from the last four studio albums of Vdgg (not counting Present and a new album that will hopefully be released), "Godbluff", "Still life", "World record" and "The quiet zone - the pleasure dome". All four albums were released during 75-77. To me the first three ar ... (read more)

Report this review (#104884) | Posted by sularetal | Friday, December 29, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Work announced in 1986 "Second Generation". Work that collected tune from four albums announced after it forms again. It is the best compilation album that collected the tune from the work at so-called latter term. It can be said that selection with a good this album will be done. Collectors/f ... (read more)

Report this review (#47239) | Posted by braindamage | Monday, September 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977)"