SECOND GENERATION (SCENES FROM 1975-1977)

Van Der Graaf Generator

Van Der Graaf Generator Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1986

1. The Undercover Man (7:25)
2. Scorched Earth (9:46)
3. The Sleepwalkers (10:32)
4. Pilgrims (7:12)
5. Still Life (7:20)
6. When She Comes (7:58)
7. The Siren Song* (6:04)
8. Cat's Eye / Yellow Fever (Running)* (5:20)
9. Wondering (6:33)

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) lyrics

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) tabs

- Peter Hammill / vocals, guitars, pianos
- Hugh Banton / organs, bass pedals and guitars, mellotron, piano (except no *)
- Guy Evans / drums and percussion
- David Jackson / saxes, flute (except no 7, 8)
- Graham Smith / violin, viola (No 7, 8 only)
- Nic Poter / bass (No 7, 8 only)

and to Fassbinder for the last updates

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) Music

Pawn Hearts (180 Gram Vinyl)Pawn Hearts (180 Gram Vinyl)
4 Men With Beards 2012
Astralwerks 2005
Live In Concert At Metropolis StudiosLive In Concert At Metropolis Studios
Box set
CONVEYOR 2012
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One (Vinyl LP) New US $27.65 Buy It Now 34m 13s
Van Der Graaf Generator The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other (Vinyl LP) US $27.65 Buy It Now 34m 13s
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Pawn Hearts, New CD (Japan Mini LP replica) VJCP-68759 US $28.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - The Quiet Zone / Pleasure Dome (Japan Mini LP replica) US $26.50 [0 bids]
PROMO WHITE / VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR WORLD RECORD US $149.99 Buy It Now 4h 41m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR**PAWN HEARTS (REMASTERED)**CD US $13.63 Buy It Now 6h 18m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR:THE LEAST WE CAN DO+5 US $11.40 Buy It Now 6h 40m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - I PROPHESY DISASTER: LIVE IN ITALY 1972- PETER HAMMILL US $65.23 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill-In Camera UK Charisma prog lp Van Der Graaf Generator US $50.00 Buy It Now 7h 57m
Peter Hammill-Nadir's Big Chance UK Charisma prog lp Van Der Graaf Generator US $50.00 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Still Life Van Der Graaf Generator CD US $14.24 Buy It Now 11h 56m
The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome Van Der Graaf Generator Audio CD US $14.24 Buy It Now 11h 56m
AMON DUUL Fool Moon NEW CD Düül Remaster PROG (Hawkwind Van der Graaf Generator) US $6.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Least We Do Is Wave To Each Other PROBE sealed ORIG LP US $89.99 Buy It Now 16h 56m
Van Der Graaf Generator - Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other [CD New] US $12.30 Buy It Now 22h 47m
Peter Hammill Skin UK CD NEW '86 Guy Evans Stuart Gordon Van der Graaf Generator US $35.00 Buy It Now 23h 33m
Van der Graaf Generator - 1st Generation - CD - Scenes From 1969-1971 US $6.44 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Godbluff (reissue) - 180 gram vinyl gatefol 2xLP US $36.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live At Metropolis Studio (NEW 2 12" VINYL LP) US $42.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator "Now and Then" SEALED U.K. CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-STILL LIFE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-PAWN HEARTS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - FELLOW TRAVELERS (RARE LP/SHRINK) US $32.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR WORLD RECORD LP 9211-1120 US $16.29 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other LP US $16.29 [2 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR THE QUIET ZONE / THE PLEASURE DOME LP US $16.29 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Repeat Performance UK vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $30.57 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR PAWN HEARTS 1971 CHARISMA CAS 1051 A-1U B-1U EXCELLENT+ US $19.30 [3 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-GODBLUFF-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator- The Least We Can Do Is Wave...- US Probe- Psych/Prog LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR[Peter Hammill,David Jackson]: GODBLUFF[+BONUS TRACKS]NEW US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-WORLD RECORD-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO~-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR ADVANCE PROMO UK AN INTRODUCTION (From The Least..) PROG US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts vinyl LP CAS 1051-A Charisma Buddah Records US $6.50 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR world record Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pawn Hearts by Van der Graaf Generator CD (Japan Mini LP) VJCP-68759. US $17.95 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL RARE 2LP TIME FOR A CHANGE LIVE VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR non TMOQ US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Godbluff by Van der Graaf Generator (CD, Dec-2004, Blue Plate) US $8.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-WORLD RECORD. VG+ VINYL MERCURY RECORDS. US $17.91 [0 bids]
THE LONG HELLO 1974 ex VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DEBUT UK PROG ROCK SEALED CD +1xt US $21.95 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR THE QUIET ZONE LP RECORD US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill: 4 CD+Black Promo Box Japan Mini-LP New (van der graaf generator Z US $295.00 Buy It Now 2 days
(OA9) CD Van Der Graaf Generator Trisector 9 Tracks 5099952103001 US $14.68 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-8 TITLE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD SET BH50 US $253.50 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 68-71 LP 8 track small hatter label light wear to sleeve US $13.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Godbluff [Bonus Tracks] by Van der Graaf Generator (CD, Jun-2005, Emi) US $10.03 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - GODBLUFF - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - LIVE IN CONCERT AT METROPOLIS STUDIOS LONDON NEW CD US $17.72 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR re: DAVID JACKSON Long Hello ITALY UA 1974 STEREO LP NM US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can Do.. CD Peter Hammill US $6.21 Buy It Now 2 days
Trisector Van Der Graaf Generator Audio CD US $14.24 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other 180G VINYL LP US $40.76 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR A Grounding In Numbers VINYL LP US $37.50 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H To The He Who Am The Only One 180G VINYL LP US $48.92 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - THE LEAST WE CAN DO.., 2012 UK 180G vinyl 2LP, SEALED! US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Alt (NEW CD) US $19.96 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR GODBLUFF LP 1975 CHARISMA LABEL PRESSING US $21.19 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL Fools Mate Robert Fripp Charisma LP Van Der Graaf Generator US $37.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live At Metropolis Studios London [CD New] US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff [CD New] US $12.96 Buy It Now 3 days
(DR4) Van Der Graaf Generator Highly Strung 45 7" Pic EX/EX+ Beauty! US $11.42 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Aerosol Grey Machine Peter Hammill Fontana GERMAN LP US $39.97 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts Peter Hammill Charisma UK LP Robert Fripp US $39.97 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Still Life Peter Hammill Charisma UK LP US $49.97 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other - G+ CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff on Mercury Records SRM-1-1069 Stereo US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Beacon Theater 1976 CD US $25.00 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill/Gary Lucas -CD 2014 - Other World(Van der Graaf generator) US $1.61 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PAWN HEARTS [CD NEW] US $12.16 Buy It Now 3 days
The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome, Mini LP Japan Slipcase Van der Graaf Generator US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR FIRST GENERATION SCENES FROM 1969 - 1971 PROG ROCK CD US $5.69 Buy It Now 3 days
The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome by Van der Graaf Generator (CD, Jul-2005,... US $8.34 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER NMINT LP IMPORT US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill-A Black Box UK orig' S-Type LP 1980 Van Der Graaf Generator US $19.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PAWN HEARTS - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR -1969 -Aerosol Grey Machine" US $22.11 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR~ GODBLUFF ~ CHARISMA LABEL #9211-1109 ~ 1975 US $6.95 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PRESENT, ORG 2005 EU 2CD, NEW - SEALED! US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-Godbluff JAPAN 1st.Press Promo White Label w/OBI Genesis US $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SEALED NEW VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-A Grounding In Numbers JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI US $99.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-World Record JAPAN 1st.Press Promo White Label w/OBI US $79.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Still Life JAPAN EMI Mini CD Near Mint ! Free Shipping ! US $30.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator The Aerosol Grey Machine Psychedelic Mercury SR 61238-1 US $29.90 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR:TRISECTOR US $11.40 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD US $18.00 Buy It Now 4 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Pawn Hearts LP - A1/B21 1st pressing pink label US $8.14 [1 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - 68-71 LP - A1/B1 1st pressing pink label US $8.14 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - A Grounding In Numbers - EVDGCD1001 US $18.35 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Alt - EVDGCD1003 US $18.33 Buy It Now 4 days
33 RPM Vinyl H To He Who am the Only One Van Der Graaf Generator 052014JDE US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR :"TIME VAULTS" 1985 CHARLY ROCK AND ROLL LP-NICE IMPORT US $8.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - STILL LIFE (MERCURY SRM-1-1096) US $3.00 [0 bids]
1970 ORIG ~ VAN der GRAAF GENERATOR ~ The Least We Can Do DARK PROG PSYCH US $12.99 [1 bids]
Vital: Van der Graaf Live by Van der Graaf Generator (CD, Jul-2005, 2 Discs,... US $15.36 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf generator - World record 1976 LP Very nice! US $18.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Van Der Graaf generator - The Quiet zone/The pleasure zone 1977 LP Nice! US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE (180GM) NEW VINYL US $26.54 Buy It Now 4 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER NEW CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977) reviews

Review by Man Erg
3 stars A bit of an oddity.This is the first compilation of the re-formed and subsequently re-named VdGG/Van der Graaf.Peter Hammill had been persuing a solo career whilst the other members of the band had formed The Long Hello. This compilation starts with a trio of track from the stunning 'comeback' album,Godbluff. My personal favourite from that album ,The Arrow is omitted. What sort of marketing ploy Charisma were up to I can only guess at.Three tracks from a four track album! Needless to say these tracks are brilliant in all there austere,menacing beauty. Next we have a brace from the follow-up album ,Still Life.The first,Pilgrims is a fantastic song full of suspence and a very Hammill solo style melody in the songs final coda. Still Life follows.The polar opposite of Pilgrims.It is dark,eerie and almost Edgar Allan Poe- esque in it's lyrical imigery.Death and defication, 'Hers forever In Still Life' muses Hammill in probably one of the darkest love songs that you'll ever hear. When She Comes follows .It's an up-beat rocker for VdGG.Vaguely reminiscent of what Hammill was writing for his soon to be released solo album,Over.This is one of two tracks from the World Record album,the last studio album to feature Hugh Banton and David Jackson.Wondering,the other track from World Record is mysteriously stuck on the end of this record, out of sequence,it is a great track to end an album with it's yearning plea as to whether 'It's All Been True.Segueing When She Comes and Wondering are two tracks from the re-monikered Van der Graaf. This line-up features bassist Nic Potter from the Least We Can Do...to the Pawn Hearts band.The other new member is violinist Graham Smith formally of label-mates Sring Driven Thing. The two tracks from Van der Graafs only studio album,Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome. were a change in style. Lighter without losing the trade mark menacing edge.The sound also had a punky/new wave feel,contempory with the then current music scene. The music on this album cannot be faulted.Its just perfunctory.Buy The Box and the featured studio albums for a better over-view on the latter VdGG/VdG incarnation.

Send comments to Man Erg (BETA) | Report this review (#8068) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 15, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars The record company (Virgin records which took over Charisma and decided to capitalize a bit on the back catologue in releasing compils of this kind) released two very good VDGG compilations at the same time. Each of them representing one period of VDGG. This one is not sub-par to the first one. I consider their second ... generation the best ones in terms of harmonies and catchy songs. Easier to enter into in comparison with their first era (IMO).

Both being quite remarkable in terms of quality output (second one ending, as far as I'm concerned, with "A World Record"). Like the previous compilation, I will compile my reviews as well (taking my original one from the according number present on this effort). I hope you got the idea.

"The Undercover Man" is one of my all time VDGG fave (all periods). Light flute in the intro, "peaceful" vocals to start. Very melodious. The band then joins : first Hugh with subtle organ in the background. Vocals then turns out to be incredibly sentimental while the band plays crescendo and reaches full power. How great a track ! A pure beauty. The middle instrumental section in the middle is very strong but never enters into this weird part so typical of VDGG first era. Its finale is so emotional and beautiful. I remember that I was really charmed by this song when I got the album (Godbluff).

With "Scorched Earth" we enter the more classical repertoire, less melodious, darker, intricated. It is a very well built song, with a very tortured Peter and some outrageous sax from Jackson. He is so skilled at his instrument that he (but also Peter) turned me into a fan of their music although I usually do not like sax at all. The finale is just great.

"The Sleepwalkers" : I really like it a lot. The intro is just nice and gentle, but when the vocals start, it turns out to be another scary one. We'll have a cha cha cha break for some relief before an incredible strong sax part and marvelous, melodious Peter. The instrumental break shows the whole band in its full power : Banton, Evans and Jakson accomplishing a great moment of VDGG music. Really powerful and almost sublime (really). These 10'31" summarizes very well the second era of this wonderful band. Melodious at times, just complex enough during others (it would not be VDG otherwise) ! This track is so intense with the whole band playing at his best than I just felt in love with it.

"Pilgrims" : a fresh, very emotional song full of hope; a bit like "Refugees". I quote : "I've been waiting for such a long time just to see it at last, all of the hands tightly clasped, all of us pilgrims". This quiet song for most of its duration ends in a torrid sax solo with great backings from the band. Superb. I have to admit that VDGG second generation pleases me a lot. More than "Mark I". Their repertoire turned from quite obscure, frightening, extremely difficult to perceive into an almost light and accessible music (for VDGG standards of course).

It is a marvelous song. IMO it is probably to best one of their whole career (only equalled by "Refugees"). It is amazing to notice how close they are in their atmosphere but at the same time quite far from each other in terms of release. Thank you guys to delivered such a great piece of music again.

"Still Life" : is a brilliant song : good keys, discreet sax and omni-presence of the smooth vocals from Peter : "What have we bargained and what have we lost ? Unlike "Undercover Man", this one is not a crescendo song. It switches straight form light to hard. From the most subtle VDGG moments to the strongest one : great keys and sax. How fabulous is Jackson again.

I can only be disappointed that I will soon see VDGG again after an enormous break (just over thirty years) but without Jackson...(he will not be touring with the band in 2007). Banton is also great during the instrumental break. The "finale" is full of emotion, with Peter almost alone in command (but he is used to this). This is one of my Van Der Graaf all time fave (together with "Refugees" as you might know).

"When She Comes" is a clone of "Sleepwalkers" but not as strong as the original. Weird atmosphere, this track combines Peter's emotional voice and the strenght of the band (Jackson being again in great shape - as usual I should say). Peter seems to have some problems though with his voice during the finale (starting around minute six). The track ends up in a chaotic maelstrom of great sax and keys. I really like this song.

"The Siren Song" is a melancholical and acoustic one. Deep vocals and nice violin. Somewhat reminiscent of "Pilgrims" at times.

With "Cat's Eye, Yellow Fever" I have the impression that VDG is trying to produce an ELO song. Not really successfull to say the least. Press forward.

"Wondering" : is a very nice ballad, full of lyricism and melody, a bit mellowish though (some orchestrations do not really deserves this track). All in all, a very good review for this part of their career, even if "Cat's Eye..." does not fit here. Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#108592) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 23, 2007

3 stars I reviewed First Generation some months ago and it is only appropriate that I review Second Generation too. A bit of a pointless compilation album in my view. But the music is good, so......... The album starts with five of the best ever VDGG songs. The Undercover Man, Scorched Earth, The ... (read more)

Report this review (#225641) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, July 10, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Absolutely great value for money. For those who want to explore this mighty band then this has to be a good place to start. Buy this and the First Generation CD and you will have a fairly comprehensive insight into VDGG. Then of course you will want to buy the rest of the catalogue if your conve ... (read more)

Report this review (#146712) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, October 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This is a collection of songs from the last four studio albums of Vdgg (not counting Present and a new album that will hopefully be released), "Godbluff", "Still life", "World record" and "The quiet zone - the pleasure dome". All four albums were released during 75-77. To me the first three ar ... (read more)

Report this review (#104884) | Posted by sularetal | Friday, December 29, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Work announced in 1986 "Second Generation". Work that collected tune from four albums announced after it forms again. It is the best compilation album that collected the tune from the work at so-called latter term. It can be said that selection with a good this album will be done. Collectors/f ... (read more)

Report this review (#47239) | Posted by braindamage | Monday, September 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "Second Generation (Scenes from 1975-1977)"