DON'T KILL THE WHALE

- Chris Squire / bass and vocals
- Alan White / drums

UK Atlantic K 11184
US Atlantic 3534
CAN Atlantic AT 3534 Promo copy (US tracks)
JPN P-334A with picture sleeve

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Don't Kill The Whale Music

Heaven & EarthHeaven & Earth
Frontiers Records (Universal) 2014
Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Rhino/Elektra 2003
Fly From HereFly From Here
Deluxe Edition
Frontiers Records 2011
Just Say Mao: Volume III (3) of Just Say Yes (CD, 1989, Sire) Free Shipping! US $4.99 [0 bids]
32m 29s
THE DRESDEN DOLLS - YES VIRGINIA CD ALBUM US $9.30 Buy It Now 34m 3s
Just Say Roe: Volume VII of Just Say Yes (CD, Jul-1994, Sire)BRAND NEW!! US $3.00 [0 bids]
37m 2s
YES Essentially 5-CD box set NEW/SEALED US $20.26 Buy It Now 38m 16s
YES-HEAVEN AND EARTH -JAPAN CD G09 US $31.99 Buy It Now 40m 1s
Yes "Going For The One" LP Record 1977 US $10.00 Buy It Now 42m 15s
Jon Anderson "In the City of Angels" CBS w/ lyric sheet prog rock Yes vangelis US $1.99 [0 bids]
46m 3s
YES 90125 1984 Atco/JVC CD 790125-2 Jon Anderson/Tony Kaye US $7.99 Buy It Now 49m 34s
CHRIS SQUIRE - FISH OUT OF WATER. JAPAN.OBI. YES US $5.99 [1 bids]
53m 39s
JON ANDERSON - CHANGE WE MUST. JAPAN.OBI. YES US $13.51 [6 bids]
55m 23s
Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am Melissa Etheridge CD 1993 (Good) US $6.00 Buy It Now 58m 19s
90125 - Yes (Cassette 1983, Atco) w/ Owner Of A Loney Heart in NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Big Generator - Yes (Cassette 1987, Atco) in NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Yes!, Brock, Chad, Good US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
YES KING ?- ROCK THIS WORLD @NEW CD; DIGIPAK@ YES KING RECORDS 2007 YSKCD001 US $4.82 Buy It Now 1h 9m
CRAZY OTTO 78 SMILES / GLAD RAG DOLL yes deadheads, its that crazy otto US $13.78 [0 bids]
Symphonic Music of Yes by London Philharmonic Orchestra/Bill Bruford (CD, Oct... US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Yes '9012 Live: The Solos' (90474-1-Y, 1985) US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
ASIA S/T 1st issue 1982 Japan LP w/ OBI & Insert NM! King Crimson, Yes US $19.95 [0 bids]
YES I AM CD by Melissa Etheridge 1993 Island Label Low Shipping US $1.99 [0 bids]
Union - Yes (Cassette 1991, Arista) in NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes by Death Cab for Cutie (CD, 2000) Barsuk. US $1.00 [0 bids]
** YES ~ CLASSIC YES LP ~ NEAR MINT IN SHRINK WITH BONUS 45 ~ JON ANDERSON ** US $5.99 [1 bids]
** YES ~ TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS 2 LP SET WHITE LABEL PROMO ~ JON ANDERSON US $14.50 [3 bids]
STEVE HOWE YES-BEGINNINGS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G35 US $32.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Yes "90125" LP Record 1983 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 35m
ALAN WHITE Ramshackled JAPAN CD w/ OBI AMCY-4050 YES $3 Shipping US $188.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
90125 by Yes US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Yes Classic Yes CD "Roundabout"/"Wonderous Stories"/"Starship Trooper" [BMG] VGC US $9.24 Buy It Now 1h 48m
YES - Magnification 2-LP New SEALED 180 gram US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Classic Yes CD Atlantic Records 1981 US $1.99 [0 bids]
YOUNG HOLT UNLIMITED-OH GIRL-C/W-YES WE CAN-USA COTILLION-44160 US $9.78 Buy It Now 1h 55m
THE VENTURES "SAY YES" CD from JAPAN US $22.17 [1 bids]
ABWH - "An Evening Of Yes Music Plus" (Live) GOLD 2-CD 1994 1st US PROMO w/PRESS US $32.88 Buy It Now 1h 56m
David Crosby - Oh, Yes I Can SEALED LP 1989 US $17.99 [1 bids]
BILLY WALKER NM Word Games 45 I Can't Say No If She Keeps Saying Yes PB-10205 7" US $19.95 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Tonight / Yes I Do - Sister Bunny Brissette w Augustus Pablo 12" LP US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Supernatural Fairy Tales The Progressive Rock Era Sampler promo CD ELP, Yes US $7.99 [0 bids]
Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am - Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Missouri Jazz Hounds/Oh! Harold, Yes, We Have No Bananas, Regal Label US $9.99 [0 bids]
GTR STEVE HOWE & STEVE HACKETT When The Heart Rules The Mind / Reach Out 45 YES US $8.82 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Yes - K-os New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.12 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Smokey Robinson - Yes It's You Lady 1982 Tamla SEALED LP Mint M- Record Club R US $7.50 Buy It Now 2h 41m
YES Music Sticker US $4.43 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Rick Wakeman The Very Best Of Chronicles YES JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH US $48.97 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Yes - Heaven & Earth [CD 2014] Prog Rock Brand New & Sealed Digipak US $4.68 [1 bids]
Yes - 90125 CD Original Masters Edition US $4.87 [0 bids]
Jason Mraz - Yes! [CD 2014) 14 tracks Brand New and Sealed Digipak US $4.68 [0 bids]
Yes - Heaven & Earth [CD 2014] Prog Rock Brand New and Sealed Digipak US $4.68 [0 bids]
3h
Jason Mraz - Yes! [CD 2014] 14 tracks Brand New and Sealed Digipak US $4.68 [0 bids]
3h
THE LEE BOYS Say Yes! CD Sacred Steel Gospel NEW SEALED US $10.00 [0 bids]
JON ANDERSON yes ANIMATION PAPER LABELS CASSETTE US $8.16 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Magna Carta: Promo Sticker only[Japan Mini-LP no cd yes tony levin bruford Q US $9.50 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Close to the Edge - Yes New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $11.26 Buy It Now 3h 17m
MELISSA ETHERIDGE YES I AM CD USA US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
ANNIE GALLUP Steady Steady Yes CD LIKE NEW US $6.00 [0 bids]
YES NUKES - 14 Atomic Powered Cuts (RUNAWAYS, WEIRDOS, QUIET RIOT) - SEALED LP US $18.95 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Yes - Rock Of The 70s NEW DVD US $30.15 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Bobby Lewis - Beltone 1002 - Tossin' And Turnin' / Oh Yes, I Love You US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Yes 90125 Classic Rock Album US $3.25 [0 bids]
YES Open Your Eyes RED VINYL 2LP rare limited edition 500 new, sealed COLOURED US $48.97 Buy It Now 4h 16m
The Ultimate Yes by Yes (CD, Jan-2004, 3 Discs, Elektra (Label)) US $18.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Yes-Self-Titled 1st Album-Atlantic Stereo SD 8243 VG LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES - UNION - 1991 USA CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 56m
YES - 9012 LIVE THE SOLOS - AMCY-375 - 1985 JAPAN CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h
Rick Wakeman: Classic Tracks CD 2008 Yes Solo Best Of Greatest Hits SFMCD003 NEW US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 2m
YES 8 TRACK TAPE Relayer TESTED nw splice ~ Gates of Delirium - with Slipcover US $5.49 Buy It Now 5h 4m
YES - YES - GERMANY CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
YES - 90125 - USA CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Aesops Fables m- promo 7 Girl I've Got News for You / Yes I'm Back US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
YES - BIG GENERATOR - CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Yes - Avicii New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.33 Buy It Now 5h 20m
YES - YESTERDAYS - USA CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans 2lp new vinyl US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
BEN E. KING: Ecstasy / Yes (soul vinyl 45) US $35.00 Buy It Now 5h 31m
1983 ATLANTIC - YES 90125 CASSETTE US $1.55 Buy It Now 5h 39m
HALE & HUSHABYES: Yes Sir, That's My Baby / 900 Quetzals 45 (dj, ultra-faint 'g US $125.00 Buy It Now 5h 51m
ROY MUSTACA - YES, I LOVE YOU AUSTRALIA LP INCREDIBLY STRANGE MUSIC US $26.56 [0 bids]
LOT OF 10 GREAT ROCK CASSETTES QUEEN**ELO**UB40**YES**SPRINGSTEEN LOT 19 US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
Yes - Relayer CD ATLANTIC R US $16.31 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Yes -Owner Of A Lonely Heart -NEW- 24HR - POST!! US $6.52 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Various Artists - Top Musicians Play Yes ( CD 2011 ) NEW / SEALED US $6.52 Buy It Now 6h 36m
BARRETT STRONG: Yes, No, Maybe So / You Knows What To Do 45 Soul US $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Flash - Flash (2009) CD (1972) Prog Rock Peter Banks (Yes) US $13.54 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Flash - In the Can [Remastered] (2010) CD (1972) Prog Peter Banks (Yes) US $13.54 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Flash - Out Of Our Hands CD (2010) Prog Rock 1973 Peter Banks (Yes) US $13.54 Buy It Now 6h 42m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $2.00 Buy It Now 6h 52m
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans 2LP in G/Fold Sleeve US $8.15 [0 bids]
YES / 90125 / (LP 1983) ATCO 90125-1 ~ NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES 90125 LP EX GER 1983 ATCO Records w/ Inner Sleeve & Insert US $14.68 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Eydie Gorme--Yes My Darling Daughter/Sonny Boy. US $2.45 Buy It Now 7h 12m
YES - LOVE WILL FIND A WAY (2 TRACK CASSETTE SINGLE) US $14.68 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Polyphonic Spree - Yes Its True CD US $17.53 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Yellowcard When Your Through Thinking Say Yes Cd US $11.43 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Charles Ray - Yes Indeed JPN CD US $20.02 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Yes - Yesshows CD US $58.79 Buy It Now 7h 24m
YES 90125 CD MADE IN BRAZIL 1S TPRES 1990 WITHOUT BARCODE US $49.99 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Yes - Fly From Here W/ DVD Dig CD US $20.83 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Ditty Bops - Jelly For President: Yes We Jam CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 7h 29m
Yes - Live On Air CD US $8.39 Buy It Now 7h 30m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Don't Kill The Whale ratings distribution

YES Don't Kill The Whale reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars Taken from their very underrated "Tormato" album, "Don`t Kill the Whale" is a song with "ecological lyrics", composed by Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. It has good arrangements. Rick Wakeman was using then a keyboard called Birotron, which I read in the web that it was an improved version of the mellotron, which I think that it wasn`t used by many keyboard players apart from Wakeman. It is more a Rock song than a Prog Rock song, and it is one of the best from the "Tormato" album. Squire plays piano in this song.

"Abilene" is a song composed by Steve Howe. It is also a good song on which Howe plays acoustic guitars, a mandolin (or a vachalia?) and an electric sitar. Again, this is a more Rock song than a Prog Rock song, but it`s good anyway. This song was previously released in the "Yesyears" Box Set, and I think that it is now available in the Rhino Records Remastered CD which was released 2 or 3 years ago.

IMO, both songs show that YES was in a "crisis" because they couldn`t define the style of their songs in the late seventies. Maybe that was the main problem with the "Tormato" album, recorded and released in 1978, in a year in which Prog Rock music was losing popularity, and bands like YES, ELP, PFM, Genesis and others didn`t know clearly what to do with their music: to please their old Prog Rock fans, or to listen to Record Labels Executives`"kind suggestions" to change their style to have songs played in the Radio. Anyway, this single wasn`t a hit, and the "crisis" came to the end when Anderson and Wakeman left YES in late 1979 / early 1980 after some failed recording sessions in Paris for a new album, with Roy Thomas Baker as producer.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#110755) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 05, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars The main aspect of reviewing singles is to focus on the single at hand. Often the flip side or additional tracks offer little to prop up the single release itself. ' Don't Kill The Whale' is a great green' environment chant served up by the Yes stalwarts. Very clever arrangements, good single material IMO and equally good chorus. Steve Howe stands out with some excellent intricate guitar work. The missive is strong and the song from Tormato is also one of the albums best tunes.' Abalene' for the completionist is not bad either.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#161604) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 11, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I could never understand why so many Yes fans don´t like this song. Don´t Kill The Whale to me stands as one of the last truly classic Yes gems. The lyrics may be a little on the simple and naive side but really, at the time, it was something new. And the melody is great. Fantastic arrangement too: Steve Howe´s guitar solo is very fluid and melodic. Wakeman´s keyboards are awesome, specially the final synth solo that reminds the sound of a whale, wonderful. He used the Birotron, a new instrument that was an improved version of the mellotron. Very few were produced in fact since synthesizers were taking over. The industry thought the mellotron era was gone (little did they know... but in the 80´s they were treated as a thing of the past, to be avoided at all costs).

The flip side, Release Release, was a good album track, but nothing special. I used to think it was a bit too heavy for Yes, but since my sister loves it, I guess it is a matter of taste, really. I wish I had the uk version, since at least it had an unreleased song as the b side instead.

Again, if you have the Tormato album, this is only for completionists or collectors.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#186182) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 17, 2008

Review by baz91
2 stars Yes get their funk on...

Picture the scene, England, UK 1978. At this point, Yes started writing silly songs like Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven. In order to get people to buy their new album, the band needed to write a catchy hit. Thus Don't Kill The Whale was born.

I can honestly say, Yes have never sounded funkier than on this song. In the first ten seconds of the song, Chris Squire delivers an orgasmically smooth bass riff, and Steve Howe gives a brilliant guitar solo to match. At this point in the song, the casual listener has been hooked. There are four excellent verses with fun yet ecological lyrics about whales. I particularly like the rhyming in the first verse: 'You're first, I'm last, your thirst I'm asked to justify.' Afterwards there's a great instrumental, with a solo from Messrs. Howe and Wakeman. And then it all starts to go downhill. The casual listener will begin to switch off as Jon Anderson lets out an incomprehensible whale... sorry, I mean wail. The song doesn't feel like it has a proper ending, and I'm always let down by the lack of another verse after the instrumental. Still, for Squire's funky bass and Jon's funny lyrics, I'm prepared to award this song three out of five stars.

As ProgArchives explains above, this single had one of two B-sides, depending on which side of the Atlantic you were. One of them is much better than the other.

Abilene is a depressingly lacklustre song from Howe. Everything about the song is poorly written and uninteresting. For example, one of the lyrics is 'You've got a face,' Why thanks for reminding me Jon! Perhaps the weirdest thing about this song is the sample of a horse at the beginning. Are we meant to think that this song is written about a horse? Relistening to this song for the review has been the most plays it'll ever get, and I highly doubt that I'll ever give this track a spin again.

Release, Release is definitely where it's at! This is another of the silly songs from 'Tormato', but I'll take this over Abilene any day. Although this song is very silly indeed, it has a brilliant rocky rhythm throughout that keeps me hooked and singing along. Perhaps the worst thing about the song is the applause during White's drum solo. What kind of an egocentric band would add the sound of applause to their own record? Despite a few flaws, this is a really fun song indeed, and one of the gems from 'Tormato'.

This is definitely not a single worth investing in, but there's some fun moments indeed, especially if you choose the US version. Of course, all the songs on here appear on the Rhino remaster of 'Tormato', and the single artwork is included in the booklet, so there's no real reason to go searching for this single, unless you're a real collector.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#512813) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 01, 2011

2 stars I believe Yes's TORMATO to be a 1/2 and 1/2 album with some great tunes as is showcased here with "Don't Kill the Whale" and "Release, Release", but mixed with some real duds like "Arriving UFO", and "Circus of Heaven". Both album cuts are fine (I have always loved "Don't Kill the Whale") here ... (read more)

Report this review (#296322) | Posted by mohaveman | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Don't Kill The Whale"