DON'T KILL THE WHALE

- Chris Squire / bass and vocals
- Alan White / drums

UK Atlantic K 11184
US Atlantic 3534
CAN Atlantic AT 3534 Promo copy (US tracks)
JPN P-334A with picture sleeve

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Don't Kill The Whale Music

Rhino/Elektra 2003
Going for the OneGoing for the One
Atlantic 2003
Merry clayton- yes 7'' VG / VG+ dirty dancing US $4.76 Buy It Now 41m 41s
YES / CHRISSIE HYNDE - DOUBLE SIDED 1 PAGE PIN UP POSTER FROM BOOK. PRETENDERS US $8.51 Buy It Now 47m 8s
YES IT'S HONKY TONK TIME LP record US $2.81 Buy It Now 53m 8s
Yes-2006 magazine advert US $8.51 Buy It Now 1h 11m
COLOURMUSIC - Yes! EP (UK 5 Track DJ CD Single) US $5.61 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Devastations Yes, U CD SEALED US $9.56 Buy It Now 1h 15m
DO ME BAD THINGS YES! CD 2005 UK VERY LIGHTLY USED 10-TRACKS YES US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
SMOKEY ROBINSON yes it's you lady LP 9 track but has sticker tear on sleeve (stm US $8.51 Buy It Now 1h 25m
SMOKEY ROBINSON yes it's you lady LP 9 track but inner is creased (6001tla) us t US $8.51 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Flash - Flash (2009) CD (1972) Prog Rock Peter Banks (Yes) US $14.14 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Flash - In the Can [Remastered] (2010) CD (1972) Prog Peter Banks (Yes) US $14.14 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Flash - Out Of Our Hands CD (2010) Prog Rock 1973 Peter Banks (Yes) US $14.14 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Yes - Classic Yes US $1.99 [0 bids]
Yes - Yessongs [CD New] US $14.59 Buy It Now 1h 47m
YES - THE YES ALBUM, 1971 ATLANTIC 19131, PSYCHEDELIC/PROGRESSIVE ROCK LP RECOR US $10.99 [0 bids]
YES 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/6151 US $42.65 Buy It Now 1h 54m
1977 - YES - Going For The One + UK Tour Dates -Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.34 Buy It Now 2h 21m
YES/TIME AND A WORD ORIG UK 2400006 US $218.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
YES, WHO, NO MERCY , THREE RECORD DEAL VINYL LP'S US $21.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Yes - Time & A Word (1994) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.89 Buy It Now 2h 59m
YES Big Generator 180g VINYL LP NEW US $28.99 Buy It Now 3h
Vintage 1950s 45 Record: Mills Brothers "Yes You Are" "Opus One" DECCA 9-29496 US $5.06 Buy It Now 3h 8m
YES 90125 RARE 1983 WEST GERMANY TARGET CD US $51.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
YES CHRIS SQUIRE 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/6255 US $42.65 Buy It Now 3h 19m
YES/LEAVE IT JPN P1845 US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
YES/DRAMA ORIG UK K50736 US $64.00 Buy It Now 3h 30m
PENNY DeHAVEN Yes I do b/w Wild Wild Heart STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
YES double dynamite LP dopuble album set of time and a world album and the yes US $40.84 Buy It Now 3h 38m
YES fragile LP 9 track red label in textured gatefold sleeve wear to sleeve edge US $19.26 Buy It Now 3h 38m
YES going for the one LP 5 track fold out sleeve with inner and deletion cut in US $8.51 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES going for the one LP 5 track multi fold out sleeve with inner light wear to US $8.51 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES MINISTER original soundtrack from the bbc tv series LP 2 track featuring dev US $8.51 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES tales from topographic oceans LP 4 track double matrix a2/b2/c3/d3 sleeve ha US $12.25 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES: OWNER OF A LONELY HEART / OUR SONG 45 RPM US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES tormato LP 8 track but has slight ringwear and deletion cut to sleeve and se US $8.51 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES yes album LP 6 track gatefold sleeve but has light edge and ring wear and on US $8.51 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Pino Daniele : Yes I Know My Way CD (1998) US $8.45 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES yes shows LP 8 track double light wear to sleeve and deletion cut (sd2510) US $9.40 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES yesterdays LP 8 track with inner a1/b1 matrix light ring wear to sleeve (k5 US $8.51 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SHEP'S BANJO BOYS - YES SIR THAT'S MY BABY AINT SHE SWEET EP PORTUGAL TECLA EX US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
ASIA 'Aria' (CD) Geoff Downes (YES) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
In the City of Angels [Bonus Track] by Jon Anderson (Vocals (Yes)) (CD,... US $18.68 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Yes! Jesus Loves Me: Guitar Hymns by John Fahey (CD, Nov-2007, Takoma) US $17.21 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Change We Must [Bonus Tracks] [Remastered] by Jon Anderson (Vocals (Yes))... US $18.34 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Yes by Mika Nakashima (CD, Jun-2007) US $19.62 Buy It Now 3h 50m
SEALED YES LP 90125 ATCO A1-90125 ELECTRONIC ROCK SYNTH POP US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
YES-Going For The One/Awaken PT. I UK 7"single US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
YES-Don't Kill The Whale-Abeline UK 7"single PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Yes The Yes Album 1971 Piros 1st Press ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic CLEAN US $65.00 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Rockabilly 45 Warner Mack ^ Too Bashful ^ Yes, There's A Reason ^ DECCA US $10.00 [0 bids]
Yes Indeed US $11.92 Buy It Now 4h 21m
YES "90125" 1983 CD US $4.60 [0 bids]
YES Close To The Edge CD BRAND NEW US $15.73 Buy It Now 4h 24m
YES Going For The One 1977 UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $25.57 Buy It Now 4h 26m
MIKA NAKASHIMA - Yes CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 27m
MELISSA ETHERIDGE: YES I AM [I'M THE ONLY ONE,COME TO MY WINDOW,SILENT LEGACY+] US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Yello You Gotta Say Yes To Another Express CD Synthpop Music Album Brand New US $11.92 Buy It Now 4h 34m
M- THE WILDWOOD PICKERS YES SIGNED BY ALL 5 MEMBERS THEN FIRST HARVEST US $52.79 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Yes - Yesterdays NEW CD US $8.14 Buy It Now 4h 41m
STEVE HOWE=BEGINNINGS VG++ VINYL. YES US $19.90 [0 bids]
ESQUIRE S/T DEBUT ALBUM. NM VINYL. CHRIS SQUIRE. YES. ASIA. US $10.92 [0 bids]
CHRIS SQUIRE-FISH OUT OF WATER VG++ CONDITION. YES. US $11.92 [0 bids]
James Brown: It's A Man's Man's Man's World / Is IT Yes Or Is It No? 7" 45 VG+ US $7.49 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Jon Anderson (Of Yes) - Song Of Seven - RARE DIFFERENT Israel Israeli LP LISTEN US $14.24 Buy It Now 4h 56m
CD - (1993) YES - 90125 US $3.72 [0 bids]
GOING FOR THE ONE VINYL LP[FOLD OUT COVER][K50379]1977 YES, YES, Good US $7.47 Buy It Now 5h
Jon Anderson (Singer from Yes) Deseo US $8.00 [0 bids]
CD-Jon Anderson-Know(lead singer of Yes-solo LP prog psych US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
CD-Kevin Ayers-Joy of a Toy/Yes We have no..2 on 1 US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 13m
PET SHOP BOYS YES CD MEGA MIX PROMO ONLY USA Astralwerks Records US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 13m
TONY BANKS THE FUGITIVE Promo LP from 1983 Yes Related Atlantic Records 80071 US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
YES - AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS - 30 PAGES US $40.94 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Jelly for President: Yes We Jam by Ditty Bops (CD, Mar-2012, Ditty Bops) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Jason Mraz - Yes! (CD 2014) US $6.57 [2 bids]
YES union BRITISH progressive rock NEW 14 hit cassette TAPE US $4.77 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Crystalette record Dodie Stevens Yes Sir-EE US $9.50 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Melissa Etheridge - Lot OF 4 Cd's Melissa Etheridge-Brave And Crazy-Yes i Am + 1 US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES promo CD SAVING MY HEART Trevor Rabin Rick Wakeman Chris Squire Bill Bruford US $14.95 [0 bids]
Melissa Etheridge-Yes I Am-Island-Hard To Find-Nice!! VG+/VG+ US $49.99 [0 bids]
YES - 90125 LP US $14.00 Buy It Now 5h 48m
PROMISED LAND - Yes You Can - 7" US $12.35 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $0.01 [0 bids]
Asia - Archives The Best Of 1988 - 1997 (CD 2000) YES THE BUGGLES ICON 21 GUNS US $5.44 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Original Doo Wop 45: The Tabbys ~ Yes I Do ~ My Darling ~ Time 1008 US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Yes Close to the Edge 1972 Rock Music Album CD Brand New US $11.92 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Tommy Dorsey Yes Indeed Original RCA 1956 Release US $7.50 Buy It Now 6h 9m
YES Topographic oceans USA original atlantic RARE NOT custom label STBO 95571 US $19.99 [0 bids]
Nu Shooz: Should I Say Yes? 12" VG++/NM Canada Atlantic 78 65990 US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
JOHN LENNON 7" WATCHING THE WHEELS-YES I'M YO peru ID# 18741 PICTURE SLEEVE-SWOB US $31.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
JOHN LENNON 7" WATCHING THE WHEELS-YES I'M YO peru ID# 53534 1981 GEFFEN 49695 B US $13.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
TITIYO-c-(45)-MY BODY SAYS YES / PEACE AND QUIET - ARISTA RECORDS- AS-2224 -1991 US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
YES Close To The Edge CD 2003 Remastered & Expanded RHINO Elektra BONUS TRACKS US $7.00 [0 bids]
YES Drama CD 2003 Remastered & Expanded RHINO Elektra BONUS TRACKS US $6.00 [0 bids]
YES Fragile CD 2003 Remastered & Expanded RHINO Elektra + BONUS TRACKS - MINT ! US $8.00 [0 bids]
YES Relayer CD 2003 Remastered & Expanded RHINO Elektra BONUS TRACKS US $7.00 [0 bids]
YES Tales From Topographic Oceans 2CD 1994 REMASTER 1973 Double Album ATLANTIC US $7.00 [0 bids]
YES The Yes Album CD 2003 Remastered & Expanded RHINO Elektra BONUS TRACKS US $2.00 [0 bids]
CASSETTE: YES 9012 Live ROCK POP PROG US $8.51 Buy It Now 6h 23m
YES-UNION 1991 CD ARISTA ARCD-8643 RARE NOT RE-ISSUE US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
YES - 24 Carat Gold LP Disc - RELAYER US $221.76 Buy It Now 6h 33m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Don't Kill The Whale ratings distribution

YES Don't Kill The Whale reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars Taken from their very underrated "Tormato" album, "Don`t Kill the Whale" is a song with "ecological lyrics", composed by Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. It has good arrangements. Rick Wakeman was using then a keyboard called Birotron, which I read in the web that it was an improved version of the mellotron, which I think that it wasn`t used by many keyboard players apart from Wakeman. It is more a Rock song than a Prog Rock song, and it is one of the best from the "Tormato" album. Squire plays piano in this song.

"Abilene" is a song composed by Steve Howe. It is also a good song on which Howe plays acoustic guitars, a mandolin (or a vachalia?) and an electric sitar. Again, this is a more Rock song than a Prog Rock song, but it`s good anyway. This song was previously released in the "Yesyears" Box Set, and I think that it is now available in the Rhino Records Remastered CD which was released 2 or 3 years ago.

IMO, both songs show that YES was in a "crisis" because they couldn`t define the style of their songs in the late seventies. Maybe that was the main problem with the "Tormato" album, recorded and released in 1978, in a year in which Prog Rock music was losing popularity, and bands like YES, ELP, PFM, Genesis and others didn`t know clearly what to do with their music: to please their old Prog Rock fans, or to listen to Record Labels Executives`"kind suggestions" to change their style to have songs played in the Radio. Anyway, this single wasn`t a hit, and the "crisis" came to the end when Anderson and Wakeman left YES in late 1979 / early 1980 after some failed recording sessions in Paris for a new album, with Roy Thomas Baker as producer.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#110755) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 05, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars The main aspect of reviewing singles is to focus on the single at hand. Often the flip side or additional tracks offer little to prop up the single release itself. ' Don't Kill The Whale' is a great green' environment chant served up by the Yes stalwarts. Very clever arrangements, good single material IMO and equally good chorus. Steve Howe stands out with some excellent intricate guitar work. The missive is strong and the song from Tormato is also one of the albums best tunes.' Abalene' for the completionist is not bad either.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#161604) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 11, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I could never understand why so many Yes fans don´t like this song. Don´t Kill The Whale to me stands as one of the last truly classic Yes gems. The lyrics may be a little on the simple and naive side but really, at the time, it was something new. And the melody is great. Fantastic arrangement too: Steve Howe´s guitar solo is very fluid and melodic. Wakeman´s keyboards are awesome, specially the final synth solo that reminds the sound of a whale, wonderful. He used the Birotron, a new instrument that was an improved version of the mellotron. Very few were produced in fact since synthesizers were taking over. The industry thought the mellotron era was gone (little did they know... but in the 80´s they were treated as a thing of the past, to be avoided at all costs).

The flip side, Release Release, was a good album track, but nothing special. I used to think it was a bit too heavy for Yes, but since my sister loves it, I guess it is a matter of taste, really. I wish I had the uk version, since at least it had an unreleased song as the b side instead.

Again, if you have the Tormato album, this is only for completionists or collectors.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#186182) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 17, 2008

Review by baz91
2 stars Yes get their funk on...

Picture the scene, England, UK 1978. At this point, Yes started writing silly songs like Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven. In order to get people to buy their new album, the band needed to write a catchy hit. Thus Don't Kill The Whale was born.

I can honestly say, Yes have never sounded funkier than on this song. In the first ten seconds of the song, Chris Squire delivers an orgasmically smooth bass riff, and Steve Howe gives a brilliant guitar solo to match. At this point in the song, the casual listener has been hooked. There are four excellent verses with fun yet ecological lyrics about whales. I particularly like the rhyming in the first verse: 'You're first, I'm last, your thirst I'm asked to justify.' Afterwards there's a great instrumental, with a solo from Messrs. Howe and Wakeman. And then it all starts to go downhill. The casual listener will begin to switch off as Jon Anderson lets out an incomprehensible whale... sorry, I mean wail. The song doesn't feel like it has a proper ending, and I'm always let down by the lack of another verse after the instrumental. Still, for Squire's funky bass and Jon's funny lyrics, I'm prepared to award this song three out of five stars.

As ProgArchives explains above, this single had one of two B-sides, depending on which side of the Atlantic you were. One of them is much better than the other.

Abilene is a depressingly lacklustre song from Howe. Everything about the song is poorly written and uninteresting. For example, one of the lyrics is 'You've got a face,' Why thanks for reminding me Jon! Perhaps the weirdest thing about this song is the sample of a horse at the beginning. Are we meant to think that this song is written about a horse? Relistening to this song for the review has been the most plays it'll ever get, and I highly doubt that I'll ever give this track a spin again.

Release, Release is definitely where it's at! This is another of the silly songs from 'Tormato', but I'll take this over Abilene any day. Although this song is very silly indeed, it has a brilliant rocky rhythm throughout that keeps me hooked and singing along. Perhaps the worst thing about the song is the applause during White's drum solo. What kind of an egocentric band would add the sound of applause to their own record? Despite a few flaws, this is a really fun song indeed, and one of the gems from 'Tormato'.

This is definitely not a single worth investing in, but there's some fun moments indeed, especially if you choose the US version. Of course, all the songs on here appear on the Rhino remaster of 'Tormato', and the single artwork is included in the booklet, so there's no real reason to go searching for this single, unless you're a real collector.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#512813) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 01, 2011

2 stars I believe Yes's TORMATO to be a 1/2 and 1/2 album with some great tunes as is showcased here with "Don't Kill the Whale" and "Release, Release", but mixed with some real duds like "Arriving UFO", and "Circus of Heaven". Both album cuts are fine (I have always loved "Don't Kill the Whale") here ... (read more)

Report this review (#296322) | Posted by mohaveman | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Don't Kill The Whale"