DON'T KILL THE WHALE

- Chris Squire / bass and vocals
- Alan White / drums

UK Atlantic K 11184
US Atlantic 3534
CAN Atlantic AT 3534 Promo copy (US tracks)
JPN P-334A with picture sleeve

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Don't Kill The Whale Music

Heaven & EarthHeaven & Earth
Frontiers Records (Universal) 2014
Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Fly From HereFly From Here
Deluxe Edition
Frontiers Records 2011
(EU148) M + A, Things.Yes - DJ CD US $6.60 Buy It Now 30m 24s
YES Tormato Vinyl LP Used Record 1978 Atlantic Prog Rock Made In Israel US $3.04 [9 bids]
30m 32s
20 ROCK VINYL RECORD LOT RINGO CLAPTON CHICAGO URIAH HEEP YES PAUL SIMON + MORE US $41.25 Buy It Now 31m 36s
BILLY JONES ERNEST HARE EDDIE CANTOR 78rpm Oh My Yes COLUMBIA 196D Ex E- US $9.99 [0 bids]
38m 59s
YELLOWCARD "When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes" LP 2011 Hopeless (Vinyl) US $24.95 Buy It Now 39m 29s
SUPER RARE!! Yes "Time And A Word" Lp Import UK!! Atlantic Records K-40085 US $29.99 [0 bids]
39m 33s
ELIJAH & THE EBONIES Pure Soul/Yes I'm Ready RARE 45 Superior VG hot grits 1970 US $9.95 [0 bids]
40m 4s
YES -TORMATO - Vinyl Record Album LP -Atlantic # SD-19202 - VG+ US $1.99 [0 bids]
42m 14s
Yes "Tales from Topographic Oceans" LP Record Album US $0.99 [0 bids]
54m 8s
SENSATIONS~OH YES I'LL BE TRUE/LET ME IN~LOST-NITE 255 ~ DOO WOP 45 US $14.99 Buy It Now 55m 2s
Noman Feels / Same w/ Don't / Yes You Did / Today SEALED Vinyl LP US $49.75 Buy It Now 55m 44s
Dinah Shore-Dinah, Yes Indeed-lp vinyl record T-1247 US $10.39 Buy It Now 56m 35s
YES The Ladder Special Edition BONUS 3" CD Japan Sealed 2 CD's 1999 Xtrmly RARE US $49.99 Buy It Now 57m 25s
YES - FRAGILE (gatefold) US $9.99 Buy It Now 57m 30s
Billy Walker Yes I've Made It / Faded Lights 45 RPM US $8.00 Buy It Now 58m 31s
CAROL VENTURA YES SIR, THAT'S MY BABY/I WISH YOU LOVE 1958 45 RPM ROULETTE 4396 US $6.98 Buy It Now 59m 1s
(AE851) Yes Giantess, The Ruins - DJ CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 59m 34s
YES NEW YORK UK promo test CD Strokes Rapture LCD Sound US $6.42 Buy It Now 1h 3m
YES**RELAYER (180G)**VINYL US $29.95 Buy It Now 1h 5m
KEVIN AYERS Yes We Have No Mananas 2009 UK 19tk promo test CD US $8.03 Buy It Now 1h 6m
C.O.D. Tears w/ Groovin / Yes I Will / Good Time SEALED Vinyl LP US $12.75 Buy It Now 1h 7m
New YES Ayaka Ohashi Anime Edition Sabagebu CD Japan LACM-14265 US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Perfect Pussy // Say Yes To Love // Vinyl LP // Limited Blood Edition // New US $150.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
IVYRISE Ivyrise UK 11-trk promo CD + bonus Yes To Running promo test CD US $6.42 Buy It Now 1h 10m
SCARCE YES TIME AND A WORD. 1972 2nd Issue Green & Orange Labels US $24.15 [0 bids]
DINAH SHORE: Dinah, Yes Indeed! (vocalists vinyl LP) sm stain obc US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
SCARCE YES DRAMA. 1972 1st Issue Green & Orange Labels US $19.32 [0 bids]
RARE YES Fragile + Integral Booklet 1978 issue A2/B2 matrices US $28.98 [0 bids]
(ED542) We The Kings, Check Yes Juliet - DJ CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 1h 19m
CLASSIC & RARE YES YESSONGS Live 15 track 1st pressing with full colour booklet. US $28.98 [1 bids]
AKINA NAKAMORI Crimson 1986 CD JAPAN 80's J-Pop Idol Oh No, Oh Yes B7977 US $9.50 [0 bids]
TUNE YARDS - You Yes You CD Single US $0.01 [0 bids]
PATRICK MORAZ YES / MOODY BLUES TEST PRESS PROG ROCK LP "TIME CODE" US $200.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Close to the Edge (CD) - Yes - New/Sealed US $30.63 Buy It Now 1h 27m
YES---Tales From Topographic Oceans***Double Set*** US $35.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
YES Tormato JAPAN CASSETTE w/Picture Sleeve PKF-5015 US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Yes Fragile 1994 Joe Gastwirt mastering US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Yes Yes to You by The Affair (CD, Jan-2007, Absolutely Kosher) US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
The Mallard Yes On Blood 12" Vinyl Castle Face Records US $11.99 [0 bids]
Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Just Say Anything: Volume V of Just Say Yes [PA] (CD, Jul-1991, Sire) US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 41m
THE POINTER SISTERS-SELF TITLED-LP-NM-BLUE THUMB RECORDS-YES WE CAN-JADA US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
ROCK BALLADS 2CD NEW - CHER TINA MAC TOTO MR MEAT KISS PAT BIG HEART FACES YES US $3.22 [0 bids]
Yes Testerdays LP EX+-NM Vinyl "Lyric Sleeve" US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
General B "Yes Of Course" and "Nookie Version" In The Streetz Reggae Records US $1.99 [0 bids]
Barbara Mason 45 KEEP HIM / YES I'M READY ~ VG+ US $4.00 [0 bids]
YES FRAGILE ATLANTIC VINYL LP GATEFOLD VG+ TO VG++ BMG DIRECT EDITION RARE US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
YES: Yessongs LP ATLANTIC RECORDS ATL60045 Germany 1973 3XLP NM- US $20.68 Buy It Now 1h 56m
SWEET SENSATION 45RPM "SAD SWEET DREAMER/SURETHING YES I DO" PYE71002 NEAR MINT US $4.99 [0 bids]
2h
Yes; Owner of a Lonely Heart on 12 " single US $7.99 [0 bids]
THE BUGGLES ADVENTURES IN MODERN RECORDING TREVOR HORN CHRIS SQUIRE DOWNES YES US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
MAINHORSE PATRICK MORAZ - MOODY BLUES YES 1971 IMP 1001 U.S. PROG PSYCH LP NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
In the Present: Live from Lyon [2CD/1DVD] [Box] [CD & DVD] by Yes (CD,... US $19.49 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Yes Heaven & Earth Mexican Edition CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Yes In The Present Live From Lyon Mexican Edition 2CD+DVD US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Yes The Best Of Yes Mexican Edition CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Yes The Yes Album Remastered CD US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Yes Ultimate Yes 2CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
it can happen (edited version) / same (live version) 45 rpm single.YES.Vinyl.Ver US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Just Say Yo: Vol. 2 of Just Say Yes Various Artists MUSIC CD US $7.48 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Yes~"Big Generator"~lp vinyl record ATCO Records 90522-1 US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
5) USED CD'S YES, BLUE OYSTER CULT, AEROSMITH, NAZARETH, BLACK SABBATH US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
5) USED CD'S AEROSMITH, LITTLE RIVER BAND, CARS, YES, CREEDENCE CLEARWATER US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Lot of 10 PROGRESSIVE ROCK Cassette Tapes Yes/Genesis/Utopia/Asia/Gabriel US $19.99 [0 bids]
Sealed 8 Track Tapes Quadrophenia & Drama. Yes. The Who. US $14.99 [0 bids]
YES Drama LP G/Fold Sleeve+Insert, 6 Track Vinyl Album, K 50736 (Vg/Ex- Sleeve US $12.86 Buy It Now 2h 30m
YES Drama LP German Issue Vinyl Album In G/Fold Sleeve+Inner, Atl 50736 US $17.69 Buy It Now 2h 30m
YES Tormato LP With Inner, K 50518 US $19.30 Buy It Now 2h 30m
YES Yesterdays LP With Inner, Atl 50048-U (Vg/Ex) US $16.08 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Yes Pleases From Whence It Came CD US $5.96 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Barrett Strong Yes, No, Maybe So 7" 45 VG++ on Anna Northern Soul US $15.40 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Yes Keystudio Audio CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
LINDA HAYES - Yes! I Know - Original Rec In Hollywood 45 rpm - Blues R US $9.95 [2 bids]
Yes ?- Close To The Edge 1972 Rock LP Vinyl Album US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Jon Tiven Group YES I RAM Still in Wrapper Brand New! US $2.50 [0 bids]
3h
Yes-Going For The One-NM Lp-Atlantic-KSD 19106 Wondrous Stories Awaken Parallels US $11.46 [0 bids]
3h
Five Star; If i Say Yes on 45 + PS US $3.39 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Teena Marie 45 Yes Indeed / It Must Be Magic record 7" vinyl US $2.50 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Yes ~ 90125 ~ Open in Shrink ~ VG+/VG+ US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Union by Yes CD, 1991, Lift Me Up, Saving My Heart, Masquerade, Rick Wakeman US $1.99 [0 bids]
The Vagrants: Respect / I Love, Love You (Yes I Do) 45 - Garage US $14.29 [0 bids]
Smap - Yes We Are/Kokokara [CD New] US $30.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Yes We Can: Voices of a Grassroots Movement CD, Obama poems US $7.98 Buy It Now 3h 22m
YES 90125 VINYL LP w/LYRIC INNER SLEEVE 1983 Includes "Owner of a lonely heart" US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Yes Time and A Word CD and CD Long box w/ matching serial #'s US $17.99 [0 bids]
Yes Yesterdays CD and CD Long box w/ matching serial #'s US $11.77 [0 bids]
ASIA "GO" 7" PICTURE SLEEVE 45 YES KING CRIMSON EMERSON LAKE & PALMER US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
NM 1994 Society Yes N Deed PROMO 12" Single LP Album US $0.59 [0 bids]
Yes WONDEROUS STORIES Best Of 20 Track Collection CLOSE TO THE EDGE Sealed 2 CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Johnnie Ray 45 Yes Tonight Jodephine / No Wedding Today record 7" vinyl US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 45m
CD lot of 8 Rock Music (Black Crowes, Genesis, Guess Who, Blue Oyster Cult, Yes) US $12.99 [0 bids]
Nelson Rangell - Yes, Then Yes (CD, Feb-1994, GRP) - LIKE NEW! US $4.39 [0 bids]
JOSE FERRER - YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS - PICTURE SLEEVE 45 MINT- US $3.30 Buy It Now 3h 56m
RARE PROG ROCK lp YES on ATLANTIC lb CLASSIC YES 1978 w/PROMO 45 + HYPE STICKER US $19.95 Buy It Now 3h 56m
We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes by Death Cab for Cutie (CD, Jul-2008, Bar US $3.25 Buy It Now 4h
Yello "You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess" 12"LP NM Elektra 60271-1 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 6m
THE BEES Every Step's A Yes (CD 2010) New/unplayed (A Band Of Bees) US $8.08 Buy It Now 4h 8m
The Yes Album Vinyl Record 1977 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Big Generator by Yes (CD, Jul-1987, Atco (USA)) US $3.90 Buy It Now 4h 25m
YES**90125**VINYL US $29.95 Buy It Now 4h 26m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Don't Kill The Whale ratings distribution

YES Don't Kill The Whale reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars Taken from their very underrated "Tormato" album, "Don`t Kill the Whale" is a song with "ecological lyrics", composed by Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. It has good arrangements. Rick Wakeman was using then a keyboard called Birotron, which I read in the web that it was an improved version of the mellotron, which I think that it wasn`t used by many keyboard players apart from Wakeman. It is more a Rock song than a Prog Rock song, and it is one of the best from the "Tormato" album. Squire plays piano in this song.

"Abilene" is a song composed by Steve Howe. It is also a good song on which Howe plays acoustic guitars, a mandolin (or a vachalia?) and an electric sitar. Again, this is a more Rock song than a Prog Rock song, but it`s good anyway. This song was previously released in the "Yesyears" Box Set, and I think that it is now available in the Rhino Records Remastered CD which was released 2 or 3 years ago.

IMO, both songs show that YES was in a "crisis" because they couldn`t define the style of their songs in the late seventies. Maybe that was the main problem with the "Tormato" album, recorded and released in 1978, in a year in which Prog Rock music was losing popularity, and bands like YES, ELP, PFM, Genesis and others didn`t know clearly what to do with their music: to please their old Prog Rock fans, or to listen to Record Labels Executives`"kind suggestions" to change their style to have songs played in the Radio. Anyway, this single wasn`t a hit, and the "crisis" came to the end when Anderson and Wakeman left YES in late 1979 / early 1980 after some failed recording sessions in Paris for a new album, with Roy Thomas Baker as producer.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#110755) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 05, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars The main aspect of reviewing singles is to focus on the single at hand. Often the flip side or additional tracks offer little to prop up the single release itself. ' Don't Kill The Whale' is a great green' environment chant served up by the Yes stalwarts. Very clever arrangements, good single material IMO and equally good chorus. Steve Howe stands out with some excellent intricate guitar work. The missive is strong and the song from Tormato is also one of the albums best tunes.' Abalene' for the completionist is not bad either.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#161604) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 11, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I could never understand why so many Yes fans don´t like this song. Don´t Kill The Whale to me stands as one of the last truly classic Yes gems. The lyrics may be a little on the simple and naive side but really, at the time, it was something new. And the melody is great. Fantastic arrangement too: Steve Howe´s guitar solo is very fluid and melodic. Wakeman´s keyboards are awesome, specially the final synth solo that reminds the sound of a whale, wonderful. He used the Birotron, a new instrument that was an improved version of the mellotron. Very few were produced in fact since synthesizers were taking over. The industry thought the mellotron era was gone (little did they know... but in the 80´s they were treated as a thing of the past, to be avoided at all costs).

The flip side, Release Release, was a good album track, but nothing special. I used to think it was a bit too heavy for Yes, but since my sister loves it, I guess it is a matter of taste, really. I wish I had the uk version, since at least it had an unreleased song as the b side instead.

Again, if you have the Tormato album, this is only for completionists or collectors.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#186182) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 17, 2008

Review by baz91
2 stars Yes get their funk on...

Picture the scene, England, UK 1978. At this point, Yes started writing silly songs like Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven. In order to get people to buy their new album, the band needed to write a catchy hit. Thus Don't Kill The Whale was born.

I can honestly say, Yes have never sounded funkier than on this song. In the first ten seconds of the song, Chris Squire delivers an orgasmically smooth bass riff, and Steve Howe gives a brilliant guitar solo to match. At this point in the song, the casual listener has been hooked. There are four excellent verses with fun yet ecological lyrics about whales. I particularly like the rhyming in the first verse: 'You're first, I'm last, your thirst I'm asked to justify.' Afterwards there's a great instrumental, with a solo from Messrs. Howe and Wakeman. And then it all starts to go downhill. The casual listener will begin to switch off as Jon Anderson lets out an incomprehensible whale... sorry, I mean wail. The song doesn't feel like it has a proper ending, and I'm always let down by the lack of another verse after the instrumental. Still, for Squire's funky bass and Jon's funny lyrics, I'm prepared to award this song three out of five stars.

As ProgArchives explains above, this single had one of two B-sides, depending on which side of the Atlantic you were. One of them is much better than the other.

Abilene is a depressingly lacklustre song from Howe. Everything about the song is poorly written and uninteresting. For example, one of the lyrics is 'You've got a face,' Why thanks for reminding me Jon! Perhaps the weirdest thing about this song is the sample of a horse at the beginning. Are we meant to think that this song is written about a horse? Relistening to this song for the review has been the most plays it'll ever get, and I highly doubt that I'll ever give this track a spin again.

Release, Release is definitely where it's at! This is another of the silly songs from 'Tormato', but I'll take this over Abilene any day. Although this song is very silly indeed, it has a brilliant rocky rhythm throughout that keeps me hooked and singing along. Perhaps the worst thing about the song is the applause during White's drum solo. What kind of an egocentric band would add the sound of applause to their own record? Despite a few flaws, this is a really fun song indeed, and one of the gems from 'Tormato'.

This is definitely not a single worth investing in, but there's some fun moments indeed, especially if you choose the US version. Of course, all the songs on here appear on the Rhino remaster of 'Tormato', and the single artwork is included in the booklet, so there's no real reason to go searching for this single, unless you're a real collector.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#512813) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 01, 2011

2 stars I believe Yes's TORMATO to be a 1/2 and 1/2 album with some great tunes as is showcased here with "Don't Kill the Whale" and "Release, Release", but mixed with some real duds like "Arriving UFO", and "Circus of Heaven". Both album cuts are fine (I have always loved "Don't Kill the Whale") here ... (read more)

Report this review (#296322) | Posted by mohaveman | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Don't Kill The Whale"