DON'T KILL THE WHALE

- Chris Squire / bass and vocals
- Alan White / drums

UK Atlantic K 11184
US Atlantic 3534
CAN Atlantic AT 3534 Promo copy (US tracks)
JPN P-334A with picture sleeve

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Don't Kill The Whale Music

Rhino/Elektra 2003
Fly From HereFly From Here
Deluxe Edition
Frontiers Records 2011
New Yes Fragile Japan Hybrid SACD From High Vibration Box CD WEA Japan Sealed US $20.50 [11 bids]
30m 50s
Bill Cosby - Yes, Yes, Yes / Ben 45 rpm 1976 US $2.00 Buy It Now 31m 43s
YES "YOUR MOVE/AMERICA" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 33m 5s
YES DRAMA TOUR BOOK 1980 ORIGINAL US $9.99 [0 bids]
36m 26s
Pet Shop Boys, Yes Audio CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 39m 17s
Malkum & Chris Yes, I Want To Go US $18.50 Buy It Now 48m 46s
? Flash - Out of Our Hands (Capitol Sovereign 11218) (Peter Banks of Yes) f.o.c. US $19.99 Buy It Now 51m 11s
YES Relayer US LP NO BARCODE GATEFOLD SEALED US $51.00 [6 bids]
52m 18s
YES Close To The Edge '72 1st issue US Atlantic 1841 BROADWAY PIROS TEXTURED NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
53m 4s
Ricky Nelson 45 I'm Not Afraid VG+++ Imperial 5685 Jukebox Yes Sir, That's Baby US $4.95 [0 bids]
53m 41s
BNIP Tally of the Yes Men by Goldspot CD, Aug-2005 Rock & Pop MUSIC US $4.75 [0 bids]
ABWH An Evening Of Yes Music Plus 1993 Japan 2 CD 1st VACM-1002/3 HTF anderson US $39.80 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The Pointer Sisters Yes We Can Can / Fairytale 45 NM B-2734 1973 US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 14m
RAY CHARLES YES INDEED!! ATLANTIC RECS 8025 MONO 1841 BROADWAY LP RED US $7.99 [0 bids]
JON ANDERSON of YES Japan 1985 PROMO NM LP 3 SHIPS US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Powerful People 12" SEALED 1977 original "(Little Girl) Say Yes " Disco US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES-TORMATO-FUTURE TIMES-REJOICE-RELEASE RELEASE-1978-SD-1902 NM US $0.99 [0 bids]
YES "LOVE WILL FIND A WAY" RARE MEX 7" PROMO SINGLE Read shipp fess UNPLAYED NEW US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
SMOKEY ROBINSON "NM WAX" Yes It's You Lady 6001TL LP i3158 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Classic Yes by Yes (CD, Jan-2002, WP) US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Yes Tales from Topographic Oceans original double CD & CD Long box matching #'s US $25.99 [0 bids]
Yes Relayer Original Atlantic CD Prog Classic US $5.00 [1 bids]
Leather Strip Yes: I'm Limited, Vol. 3 2CD NEW Metropolis ships fast US $3.99 [0 bids]
Lot of 13 LPs 1970s 1980s We Are The World NKOTB LL Cool J Loverboy Yes US $9.99 [1 bids]
YES Yesshows P-5565 2LP Y4492 US $4.99 [1 bids]
YES Repayer P-6527 LP Y4479 US $4.99 [2 bids]
Yes Keys To Ascension Live and Studio Newish US $5.00 [0 bids]
Pet Shop Boys "Yes" Album US $3.00 [0 bids]
STEVE HOWELL & THE MIGHTY MEN - Yes, I Believe I Will 2013 CD ~NEW~ US $0.01 [0 bids]
Yes Close To The Edge - Prog Classic!! Original Atlantic US $5.00 [0 bids]
Paul Whiteman & Orch - VICTOR 19309 - There's Yes! Yes! in Your Eyes US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Yes - Drama NEW CD US $7.62 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Time and a Word [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] by Yes (CD, 2005, Elektra (Label)) US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Yes [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] by Yes (CD, Jan-2003, Elektra (Label)) US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 43m
YES "7" EP"Classic Yes P-6482 LP Y4481 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Morphine - Yes [CD New] US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Doughty,Mike - Yes & Also Yes [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Yes L.A. Lmtd ED. [Vinyl New] US $22.98 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Perry,Phil - Say Yes [CD New] US $15.24 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Dresden Dolls - Yes Virginia [CD New] US $12.85 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Yes Essentially Yes 2006 CD Rock Music Album Brand New US $36.96 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Doughty,Mike - Yes & Also Yes [Vinyl New] US $19.62 Buy It Now 1h 55m
VG+ TERI DeSARIO YES, I'M READY/WITH YOUR LOVE 1979 45 RPM CASABLANCA NB-2227 US $2.98 Buy It Now 1h 58m
YES "Highlights: The Very Best of Yes" CD (MINT CONDITiON/Played Only Once) US $3.99 [0 bids]
2h
U.K. NIGHT AFTER NIGHT 2012 TOUR CONCERT T SHIRT LARGE MENS yes tull genesis US $19.95 Buy It Now 2h 2m
YES - 1st self titled Lp - Atlantic SD 8243 - VINYL VG US $1.99 [0 bids]
RELAYER s/t PRIVATE TX PROG PSYCH YES STYLE MOOG ACID ARCHIVES SEALED US $21.50 [3 bids]
El Torros - Two Lips / You May Say Yes- Duke 333 Mint- US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
YES / FRAGILE Japan CD Remaster Limited Mini LP OOP Asia GTR Genesis K.Crimson US $10.04 [15 bids]
Teri DeSario & K.C.; Yes, I'm Ready on 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
YES / CLOSE TO THE EDGE Japan CD Limited Mini LP Remaster OOP Asia GTR Strawbs US $12.65 [7 bids]
Ricky Nelson I'm Not Afraid / Yes Sir That's My Baby 1960 45 US $3.45 [0 bids]
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Vangelis Blade Runner (CD, Jun-1994, Atlantic (Label)) Yes Mary Hopkin Star Wars US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES / GOING FOR THE ONE Japan CD Limited Mini LP Remaster OOP Asia GTR Strawbs US $15.50 [10 bids]
LITTLE - Yes rhyme-dentity - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $16.95 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
YES / DRAMA Japan CD Limited Mini LP Remaster Buggles ASIA GTR Chris Squire OBI US $16.00 [8 bids]
JON ANDERSON / IN THE CITY OF ANGELS Japan CD OOP YES TOTO Giant Jeff Porcaro US $7.16 [8 bids]
ROSANNE CASH 45 RPM 7" VINYL RECORD ** I WONDER ** OH YES I CAN ** US $1.49 [0 bids]
Yes The Gates of The Ritual Mini LP US $14.99 [1 bids]
Classic Yes by Yes (CD, Jun-2011, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.50 Buy It Now 2h 39m
1 CENT CD: Punchline 'Just Say Yes' rock 2008 SEALED US $0.01 [0 bids]
PINO DANIELE - BEST OF: YES I KNOW MY WAY NEW CD US $13.55 Buy It Now 2h 44m
RARE YES BIG GENERATOR VINYL RECORD LP VG++/NM ATCO US $6.99 [0 bids]
YES -"Close To The Edge" Gatefold Vinyl LP NM US $30.50 [0 bids]
YES THE PET SHOP BOYS MUSIC CD PHILIPPINE SEALED 2009 US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
TOMMY DORSEY Yes Indeed! 1956 RCA LPM 1229 w/orig slv EX/EX LP Record US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Yes Yessongs (remastered) CD US $12.21 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Various Artists Yes New York CD US $8.84 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Aqualung [Remaster] by Jethro Tull CD Jan-1999 Chrysalis Like New! (Yes) US $5.99 [0 bids]
Yes The Music Of Victoria Bond Bond / Faiella / Sperry / Londo CD US $14.28 Buy It Now 2h 58m
The Affair Yes Yes To You CD US $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 59m
INDEPENDENTS i love you yes i do 45 WAND --- 70s soul funk promo --- LISTEN! US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h
90125 Yes Vinyl LP US $24.94 Buy It Now 3h
Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, No The Girls CD US $11.79 Buy It Now 3h
Clyde McPhatter dj 45 IF I DIDN'T LOVE YOU.. / GO YES GO ~ VG US $2.31 Buy It Now 3h
YES THE PET SHOP BOYS MUSIC CD PHILIPPINES SEALED 2009 BRAND NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Yes: Acoustic [DVD](Region 0) [NTSC] [2013] US $18.31 Buy It Now 3h 10m
ASIA / FANTASIA LIVE IN TOKYO Japan 2CD King Crimson YES ELP Buggles GTR UK OBI US $6.00 [3 bids]
ASIA / PHOENIX Japan Enhanced CD Bonus King Crimson YES ELP Buggles GTR UK OBI US $8.53 [9 bids]
90125 by Yes (CD, Mar-1984, Atco (USA)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Daniele,Pino - Yes I Know My Way (CD New) US $6.06 Buy It Now 3h 30m
SOCIETY THREAT // It's Christmas Yes It Is / ORIGINAL US 1988 LP / Mint- SEALED US $8.98 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Yes - Wonderous Stories 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Yes - Leave It (Hello, Goodbye Mix) 12" US $12.19 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Alkaline Trio - Hell Yes 7" Saves The Day Hot Water Music US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
(4) Yes/Anderson LPs - Self-titled/Going For the One/Yes Songs (records only)... US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
CHESTERFIELD KINGS Yes I Understand Beau Brummels 7" 45 PS Babiuk Prevost 2000 US $4.99 [0 bids]
YES 90125 JAPAN ORIGINAL AUDIOPHILE STUNNING NM USA SELLER US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Ella Mae Morse Smack Dab In The Middle/Yes I Do 45 RPM US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Yes CD Yesterdays CD - USA Pressing - 1994 Atlantic 82684-2 MINT DISC! US $2.99 [0 bids]
YES TREVOR RABIN PROMO INTERVIEW 1989 RARE US $34.99 Buy It Now 4h 8m
YES RELAYER Atlantic records SD 18122 PORKY PECKO STAMPERS RARE US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 12m
*** CD Yesyears yes years *DISC 2 ONLY* no disk 1 3 4 US $6.95 Buy It Now 4h 13m
GLASS HAMMER Perilous 2012 US progrock like YES (SEALED 2LP VINYL) US $22.95 [0 bids]
John Lennon (Watching The Wheels) Yoko Ono (Yes I'm Your Angel) Geffen GEF49695 US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 30m
YES Drama ATLANTIC SD 16019 VG++ US $9.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
John Lennon (Watching The Wheels) Yoko Ono (Yes I'm Your Angel) Geffen GEF49695 US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 31m
YES-CLOSE TO THE EDGE-JAPAN CD C45 US $19.50 Buy It Now 4h 43m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Don't Kill The Whale ratings distribution

YES Don't Kill The Whale reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars Taken from their very underrated "Tormato" album, "Don`t Kill the Whale" is a song with "ecological lyrics", composed by Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. It has good arrangements. Rick Wakeman was using then a keyboard called Birotron, which I read in the web that it was an improved version of the mellotron, which I think that it wasn`t used by many keyboard players apart from Wakeman. It is more a Rock song than a Prog Rock song, and it is one of the best from the "Tormato" album. Squire plays piano in this song.

"Abilene" is a song composed by Steve Howe. It is also a good song on which Howe plays acoustic guitars, a mandolin (or a vachalia?) and an electric sitar. Again, this is a more Rock song than a Prog Rock song, but it`s good anyway. This song was previously released in the "Yesyears" Box Set, and I think that it is now available in the Rhino Records Remastered CD which was released 2 or 3 years ago.

IMO, both songs show that YES was in a "crisis" because they couldn`t define the style of their songs in the late seventies. Maybe that was the main problem with the "Tormato" album, recorded and released in 1978, in a year in which Prog Rock music was losing popularity, and bands like YES, ELP, PFM, Genesis and others didn`t know clearly what to do with their music: to please their old Prog Rock fans, or to listen to Record Labels Executives`"kind suggestions" to change their style to have songs played in the Radio. Anyway, this single wasn`t a hit, and the "crisis" came to the end when Anderson and Wakeman left YES in late 1979 / early 1980 after some failed recording sessions in Paris for a new album, with Roy Thomas Baker as producer.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#110755) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 05, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars The main aspect of reviewing singles is to focus on the single at hand. Often the flip side or additional tracks offer little to prop up the single release itself. ' Don't Kill The Whale' is a great green' environment chant served up by the Yes stalwarts. Very clever arrangements, good single material IMO and equally good chorus. Steve Howe stands out with some excellent intricate guitar work. The missive is strong and the song from Tormato is also one of the albums best tunes.' Abalene' for the completionist is not bad either.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#161604) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 11, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I could never understand why so many Yes fans don´t like this song. Don´t Kill The Whale to me stands as one of the last truly classic Yes gems. The lyrics may be a little on the simple and naive side but really, at the time, it was something new. And the melody is great. Fantastic arrangement too: Steve Howe´s guitar solo is very fluid and melodic. Wakeman´s keyboards are awesome, specially the final synth solo that reminds the sound of a whale, wonderful. He used the Birotron, a new instrument that was an improved version of the mellotron. Very few were produced in fact since synthesizers were taking over. The industry thought the mellotron era was gone (little did they know... but in the 80´s they were treated as a thing of the past, to be avoided at all costs).

The flip side, Release Release, was a good album track, but nothing special. I used to think it was a bit too heavy for Yes, but since my sister loves it, I guess it is a matter of taste, really. I wish I had the uk version, since at least it had an unreleased song as the b side instead.

Again, if you have the Tormato album, this is only for completionists or collectors.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#186182) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 17, 2008

Review by baz91
2 stars Yes get their funk on...

Picture the scene, England, UK 1978. At this point, Yes started writing silly songs like Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven. In order to get people to buy their new album, the band needed to write a catchy hit. Thus Don't Kill The Whale was born.

I can honestly say, Yes have never sounded funkier than on this song. In the first ten seconds of the song, Chris Squire delivers an orgasmically smooth bass riff, and Steve Howe gives a brilliant guitar solo to match. At this point in the song, the casual listener has been hooked. There are four excellent verses with fun yet ecological lyrics about whales. I particularly like the rhyming in the first verse: 'You're first, I'm last, your thirst I'm asked to justify.' Afterwards there's a great instrumental, with a solo from Messrs. Howe and Wakeman. And then it all starts to go downhill. The casual listener will begin to switch off as Jon Anderson lets out an incomprehensible whale... sorry, I mean wail. The song doesn't feel like it has a proper ending, and I'm always let down by the lack of another verse after the instrumental. Still, for Squire's funky bass and Jon's funny lyrics, I'm prepared to award this song three out of five stars.

As ProgArchives explains above, this single had one of two B-sides, depending on which side of the Atlantic you were. One of them is much better than the other.

Abilene is a depressingly lacklustre song from Howe. Everything about the song is poorly written and uninteresting. For example, one of the lyrics is 'You've got a face,' Why thanks for reminding me Jon! Perhaps the weirdest thing about this song is the sample of a horse at the beginning. Are we meant to think that this song is written about a horse? Relistening to this song for the review has been the most plays it'll ever get, and I highly doubt that I'll ever give this track a spin again.

Release, Release is definitely where it's at! This is another of the silly songs from 'Tormato', but I'll take this over Abilene any day. Although this song is very silly indeed, it has a brilliant rocky rhythm throughout that keeps me hooked and singing along. Perhaps the worst thing about the song is the applause during White's drum solo. What kind of an egocentric band would add the sound of applause to their own record? Despite a few flaws, this is a really fun song indeed, and one of the gems from 'Tormato'.

This is definitely not a single worth investing in, but there's some fun moments indeed, especially if you choose the US version. Of course, all the songs on here appear on the Rhino remaster of 'Tormato', and the single artwork is included in the booklet, so there's no real reason to go searching for this single, unless you're a real collector.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#512813) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 01, 2011

2 stars I believe Yes's TORMATO to be a 1/2 and 1/2 album with some great tunes as is showcased here with "Don't Kill the Whale" and "Release, Release", but mixed with some real duds like "Arriving UFO", and "Circus of Heaven". Both album cuts are fine (I have always loved "Don't Kill the Whale") here ... (read more)

Report this review (#296322) | Posted by mohaveman | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Don't Kill The Whale"