DON'T KILL THE WHALE

- Chris Squire / bass and vocals
- Alan White / drums

UK Atlantic K 11184
US Atlantic 3534
CAN Atlantic AT 3534 Promo copy (US tracks)
JPN P-334A with picture sleeve

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Don't Kill The Whale Music

Wonderous Stories: Best ofWonderous Stories: Best of
Music Club Deluxe 2014
Tales From Topographic OceansTales From Topographic Oceans
Rhino/Elektra 2003
YES (2 CD) TOPOGRAPHY : THE YES ANTHOLOGY ~ 70's PSYCHEDELIC RICK WAKEMAN *NEW* US $19.75 Buy It Now 43m 34s
HAPPY MONDAYS / YES PLEASE JAPAN CD OOP W/OBI +2B/T US $21.99 Buy It Now 52m 21s
YES - Don't Kill The Whale 7" Single 1978 US $10.85 Buy It Now 54m 30s
YES (the band) lot of 3 classic hard rock music cassettes US $9.00 Buy It Now 56m 20s
YES / HIGHLIGHTS THE VERY BEST OF YES JAPAN CD OOP US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h
YES Yesterdays 1974 Atlantic LP SD 18103 EXC/EXC+ w/sleeve US $7.50 [0 bids]
LITTLE MOTHERS Yes (CD2) UK IMPORT Brand NEW Sealed US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 19m
10 song EXTENDED VERSIONS/LIVE by YES new CD US $6.78 [0 bids]
THE MARVELETTES - HE'S A GOOD GUY (YES HE IS) / DON'T MESS WITH BILL 7" VINYL US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
THE MERSEYBEATS - I LOVE YOU, YES I DO 7" VINYL US $9.30 Buy It Now 1h 31m
7" ROYCE PORTER "YES I DO" ROCKABILLY BOPPER US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Jon Anderson (Singer from Yes) Deseo US $4.00 [0 bids]
BACCARA 7" PS Japan YES SIR,I CAN BOOGIE r7866 US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Highlights: The Very Best of Yes by Yes (CD, Sep-1993, Atlantic) Lonely Heart US $6.00 [0 bids]
YES (2 albums, both are in their shrink wraps) Self Titled AND Time And A Word US $32.00 [0 bids]
Yes - Twelve Inches On Tape - Cassette Tape - PLAY TESTED US $8.39 Buy It Now 1h 56m
OH NO ONO YES JAPAN CD OBI SS Y3814 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
8 TRACK TAPE YES SONGS(TESTED) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Yes - Essentially 1994-2003 (CD BOX 2008) US $23.06 Buy It Now 1h 59m
YES (Two GATEFOLD albums) The Yes Album AND Close To The Edge (Rick Wakeman) US $34.00 [0 bids]
2h
YES - YESSONGS - rare uruguay 3 LP plastic bag opps US $80.00 Buy It Now 2h 5m
PET SHOP BOYS * BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE * GERMAN ONLY 4 TRK CD * HTF! * SEALED * YES US $42.36 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Luciano Pavarotti Yes Giorgio Soundtrack LP EX+ 1982 US $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) BMG Direct D135501 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Yes - Yessongs Atlantic SD3-100 US 1973 vinyl 3LP live US $33.87 Buy It Now 2h 12m
YES promo CD SAVING MY HEART Trevor Rabin Rick Wakeman Chris Squire Bill Bruford US $14.95 [0 bids]
Melissa Etheridge-Yes I Am-Island-Hard To Find-Nice!! VG+/VG+ US $49.99 [0 bids]
(2) Yes I Am & Your Little Secret Melissa Etheridge CD's US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Yes, Please by Happy Mondays (CD, Sep-1992, Elektra (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
RAY CHARLES YES INDEED ATLANTIC 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
IVORY JOE HUNTER ~ YES I WANT YOU / YOU FLIP ME ~ ORIG ATLANTIC R US $6.50 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Yes "Selections from Fragile" 8-track cassette US $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Sally Ann Howes - My Heart Says Yes/ Jacques Pils - Do La Boom - DB3688 (78) US $1.68 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Yessongs [Remaster] by Yes (CD, Sep-1994, 2 Discs, Atlantic (Label)) US $9.03 [5 bids]
ALAN WHITE YES-RAMSHACKLED-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G35 US $32.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
YES - THE ULTIMATE YES: 35th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION 2CD SET US $22.01 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Yesterdays Yes Vinyl Very Good US $14.49 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Mercury 10" 78/Bernice Parks/Old Country/Yes, Dear/VG+ US $4.25 Buy It Now 2h 43m
YES "90125" 1983 CD US $4.60 [0 bids]
CD - (1993) YES - 90125 US $5.54 Buy It Now 2h 56m
RICK WAKEMAN-JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 A&M REC. SP-3621 VG+ YES US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Yes, my darling daughter-Best of the (22 tracks), Andrews Sisters, Good Import US $2.36 Buy It Now 2h 57m
TERI DeSARIO * 45 * Yes, I'm Ready * 1979 #2 * MINT *STOCK USA Casablanca Sleeve US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Yes - 90125 (1983) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $8.25 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans Atlantic K80001 UK 1973 vinyl 2LP set US $16.93 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Yes - and Friends (2003) - 2 CD`S - NEW - 24HR - POST!! - FREE UK P US $9.98 Buy It Now 3h 14m
MONSTERS OF ROCK LIVE DISC 2*CD*YES*ELO*THE STRANGLERS*T'PAU*GARY NUMAN US $2.19 Buy It Now 3h 14m
BONNIE OWENS HOW CAN OUR CHEATIN' BE WRONG-YES I LOVE ONLY YOU 45 COUNTRY VG US $1.29 [0 bids]
YES union BRITISH progressive rock NEW 14 hit cassette TAPE US $3.77 [0 bids]
YES big generator ROCK new cassette tape US $4.88 [0 bids]
Tune-Yards - Gangsta / You yes you - 2 x CD Promo set US $8.46 Buy It Now 3h 31m
YES Yesterdays: Best Of & Rarities 1969-1972 CD America, Astral Traveller US $3.99 [1 bids]
DOMINO - YES SIR I CAN BOOGIE CD 4 MIX euro house italo dance baccara cover US $10.15 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES 33 LP record album 33rpm YES SONGS Atlantic 1973 gatefold triple disc ex US $4.00 [0 bids]
Yes-90125 Vinyl LP US $4.00 [0 bids]
Tommy Dorsey, Yes Indeed!, RCA Victor LPM-1229 ? US $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
JOHN FAHEY - YES, JESUS LOVES ME - CDTAK 7085 US $16.93 Buy It Now 3h 53m
YES ALBUM - FRAGILE - EDGE - DRAMA - RELAYER 180 GRAM Sealed 10 LPSET + BONUS US $449.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Yes - Close To The Edge - Atlantic K50012 UK 1972 vinyl 12" LP textured sleeve US $16.93 Buy It Now 4h
Yes, Minister: No.3 (BBC Radio Collection), - Audio CD Book NEW 9780563529460 US $11.05 Buy It Now 4h 7m
James Pastell(7"Vinyl)Hell Yes I Cheated / Woman Of The World-VG/Ex US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
FLASH S/T - SMAS-10040 - 1972 - PROG YES PETER BANKS TONY KAYE US $8.49 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Yes "Close To The Edge" 1972 Atlantic LP/ Textured sleeve US $3.99 [1 bids]
Fragile-Yes Album US $3.00 [0 bids]
45 RPM 60S TEEN POP RECORD LINDA LEE SHASTA 146 VG++ YES IM LONESOME TONITE US $45.00 Buy It Now 4h 37m
YES KING - ROCK THIS WORLD - NEW CD US $5.78 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Yes by Morphine (CD, Mar-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $4.00 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN-Into Orbit-Strawbs/YES/Keyboards/Synthesizer/PIANO/Beatles/STONES US $10.29 Buy It Now 4h 47m
#53 Lot 7 45rpm records-Ol' Rockin Ern-Teddy Bears-Johnny Gibson-Everly Bros-Yes US $6.25 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Yes, Heaven & Earth, CD 2014 US $6.00 [2 bids]
The Mallard 'Yes On Blood' LP Vinyl Thee Oh Sees Ty Segal 82/100 Unplayed! US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Yes - Ladder [CD New] US $10.01 Buy It Now 5h 4m
YES - Platinum LP Disc - FRAGILE - with original Atlantic plum lable US $254.18 Buy It Now 5h 7m
45 RPM Foggy River Boys "Without Jesus I Have Nothing/Oh Yes I'm Saved" US $3.99 [0 bids]
JETS - Yes Tonight Josephine - Excellent Con 7" Single US $6.76 Buy It Now 5h 8m
YES High Vibration Hybrid SACD Box Set JAPAN ONLY 15 Hybrid SACD's w/ BONUS Disc US $469.99 Buy It Now 5h 14m
MELISSA ETHERIDGE - YES I AM - music cd rock US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
In the Present: Live from Lyon [2CD/1DVD] [Box] by Yes New and sealed. US $15.95 [0 bids]
TM Century 616N Radio Promo GoldDisc CD Compilation (LIKE NEW) Neil Young | Yes US $6.95 [0 bids]
CHARLES FOLD / CHARLES FOLD SINGERS - Yes - Live in Cincinnati - GOSPEL SOUL LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 29m
THE YES ALBUM CD Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Tony Kaye US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 32m
? Esquire (Geffen 24101) (Nikki & Chris Squire, Alan White of YES) Pat Thrall US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 33m
A.C. Tilmon & Detroit Emeralds: Yes, I Know I'm in Love/ Rosetta Stone [NEW] US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Emerson Lake and Palmer s/t Cotillion ORIGINAL '71 US PRESSING PROG YES US $6.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE PALMER LP~TRILOGY~1972 USA 1ST PRESS~COTILLION SD9903 PROG YES US $4.99 [0 bids]
Yes 90125 SHM Mini LP CD WEA Japan Remastered New Still Sealed US $49.95 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Yes Union Live Japan Mini Lp CD 2 Discs New Still Sealed US $79.95 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Yes-The Yes Album USA Gatefold LP Circa 1973 Pressing US $16.93 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Yes LP Tormato US $6.99 [0 bids]
YES fragile JAPAN MINI LP CD 2009 issue unopened with coupon intact inside shm US $59.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
YES going for the one JAPAN MINI LP CD 2009 issue unopened coupon inside shm US $69.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
YES - OWNER OF A LONELY HEART - NEW US $8.79 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Yes,Tales Of Topographic Oceans,1974 Atlantic Press.VG+ Cond. US $6.99 [0 bids]
Yes,Yes Songs,1973 Atlantic Press.VG+ To EX Cond. US $9.99 [0 bids]
An Evening of Yes Music Plus Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (CD, 1994, 2 Discs) US $14.00 [0 bids]
YES "Yes Songs" NM LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Kurt Maier - Yes! - it's Italy US $0.99 [0 bids]
yes CD classic yes (original) atlantic recordings US $5.91 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Dot "Pat Boone - Yes Indeed!" Record (33) US $0.99 [0 bids]
ROY DRUSKY & PRISCILLA MITCHELL "YES, MR. PETERS" 45 RPM US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 18m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Don't Kill The Whale ratings distribution

YES Don't Kill The Whale reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars Taken from their very underrated "Tormato" album, "Don`t Kill the Whale" is a song with "ecological lyrics", composed by Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. It has good arrangements. Rick Wakeman was using then a keyboard called Birotron, which I read in the web that it was an improved version of the mellotron, which I think that it wasn`t used by many keyboard players apart from Wakeman. It is more a Rock song than a Prog Rock song, and it is one of the best from the "Tormato" album. Squire plays piano in this song.

"Abilene" is a song composed by Steve Howe. It is also a good song on which Howe plays acoustic guitars, a mandolin (or a vachalia?) and an electric sitar. Again, this is a more Rock song than a Prog Rock song, but it`s good anyway. This song was previously released in the "Yesyears" Box Set, and I think that it is now available in the Rhino Records Remastered CD which was released 2 or 3 years ago.

IMO, both songs show that YES was in a "crisis" because they couldn`t define the style of their songs in the late seventies. Maybe that was the main problem with the "Tormato" album, recorded and released in 1978, in a year in which Prog Rock music was losing popularity, and bands like YES, ELP, PFM, Genesis and others didn`t know clearly what to do with their music: to please their old Prog Rock fans, or to listen to Record Labels Executives`"kind suggestions" to change their style to have songs played in the Radio. Anyway, this single wasn`t a hit, and the "crisis" came to the end when Anderson and Wakeman left YES in late 1979 / early 1980 after some failed recording sessions in Paris for a new album, with Roy Thomas Baker as producer.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#110755) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 05, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars The main aspect of reviewing singles is to focus on the single at hand. Often the flip side or additional tracks offer little to prop up the single release itself. ' Don't Kill The Whale' is a great green' environment chant served up by the Yes stalwarts. Very clever arrangements, good single material IMO and equally good chorus. Steve Howe stands out with some excellent intricate guitar work. The missive is strong and the song from Tormato is also one of the albums best tunes.' Abalene' for the completionist is not bad either.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#161604) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 11, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I could never understand why so many Yes fans don´t like this song. Don´t Kill The Whale to me stands as one of the last truly classic Yes gems. The lyrics may be a little on the simple and naive side but really, at the time, it was something new. And the melody is great. Fantastic arrangement too: Steve Howe´s guitar solo is very fluid and melodic. Wakeman´s keyboards are awesome, specially the final synth solo that reminds the sound of a whale, wonderful. He used the Birotron, a new instrument that was an improved version of the mellotron. Very few were produced in fact since synthesizers were taking over. The industry thought the mellotron era was gone (little did they know... but in the 80´s they were treated as a thing of the past, to be avoided at all costs).

The flip side, Release Release, was a good album track, but nothing special. I used to think it was a bit too heavy for Yes, but since my sister loves it, I guess it is a matter of taste, really. I wish I had the uk version, since at least it had an unreleased song as the b side instead.

Again, if you have the Tormato album, this is only for completionists or collectors.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#186182) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 17, 2008

Review by baz91
2 stars Yes get their funk on...

Picture the scene, England, UK 1978. At this point, Yes started writing silly songs like Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven. In order to get people to buy their new album, the band needed to write a catchy hit. Thus Don't Kill The Whale was born.

I can honestly say, Yes have never sounded funkier than on this song. In the first ten seconds of the song, Chris Squire delivers an orgasmically smooth bass riff, and Steve Howe gives a brilliant guitar solo to match. At this point in the song, the casual listener has been hooked. There are four excellent verses with fun yet ecological lyrics about whales. I particularly like the rhyming in the first verse: 'You're first, I'm last, your thirst I'm asked to justify.' Afterwards there's a great instrumental, with a solo from Messrs. Howe and Wakeman. And then it all starts to go downhill. The casual listener will begin to switch off as Jon Anderson lets out an incomprehensible whale... sorry, I mean wail. The song doesn't feel like it has a proper ending, and I'm always let down by the lack of another verse after the instrumental. Still, for Squire's funky bass and Jon's funny lyrics, I'm prepared to award this song three out of five stars.

As ProgArchives explains above, this single had one of two B-sides, depending on which side of the Atlantic you were. One of them is much better than the other.

Abilene is a depressingly lacklustre song from Howe. Everything about the song is poorly written and uninteresting. For example, one of the lyrics is 'You've got a face,' Why thanks for reminding me Jon! Perhaps the weirdest thing about this song is the sample of a horse at the beginning. Are we meant to think that this song is written about a horse? Relistening to this song for the review has been the most plays it'll ever get, and I highly doubt that I'll ever give this track a spin again.

Release, Release is definitely where it's at! This is another of the silly songs from 'Tormato', but I'll take this over Abilene any day. Although this song is very silly indeed, it has a brilliant rocky rhythm throughout that keeps me hooked and singing along. Perhaps the worst thing about the song is the applause during White's drum solo. What kind of an egocentric band would add the sound of applause to their own record? Despite a few flaws, this is a really fun song indeed, and one of the gems from 'Tormato'.

This is definitely not a single worth investing in, but there's some fun moments indeed, especially if you choose the US version. Of course, all the songs on here appear on the Rhino remaster of 'Tormato', and the single artwork is included in the booklet, so there's no real reason to go searching for this single, unless you're a real collector.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#512813) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 01, 2011

2 stars I believe Yes's TORMATO to be a 1/2 and 1/2 album with some great tunes as is showcased here with "Don't Kill the Whale" and "Release, Release", but mixed with some real duds like "Arriving UFO", and "Circus of Heaven". Both album cuts are fine (I have always loved "Don't Kill the Whale") here ... (read more)

Report this review (#296322) | Posted by mohaveman | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Don't Kill The Whale"