AMERICA

Side A:
1. America

Side B:
2. Total Mass Retain
On "Atlantic Oldies Series"
2. Your Move

- Rick Wakeman / keyboards
- Chris Squire / bass, vocals
- Bill Bruford / drums

US 1972 Atlantic 2899
US Atlantic Oldies Series OS-13141 with "Your Move"
BRA Atco ATCS 10036
JPN Atlantic P-1161A with picture sleeve
NZ Atlantic ATL109

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES America Music

Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Imports 2014
RelayerRelayer
Remastered · Extra tracks
Elektra 2003
YES ~ RELAYER ORIGINAL PORKY PECKO G/F with SLEEVE 1974 SD 18122 NM PROG LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
30m 27s
STANLEY KIRKBY Do I? Yes I Do 78 THE WINNER 3450 US $21.05 Buy It Now 34m 47s
Yes Close to the Edge and Highlights: Very Best of Yes 2cd lot prog progressive US $3.25 [0 bids]
36m 50s
CLASSIC YES CASSETTE TAPE US $0.99 [0 bids]
39m 57s
Soul 45 CHI-LITES Yes I'm Ready (If I Don't Get To Go) on Brunswick 8 US $5.00 Buy It Now 46m 9s
YES-DRAMA-ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV CASSETTE TAPE-PROGRESSIVE ROCK-1980 US $14.00 Buy It Now 48m 40s
YES Classic Yes Best Of 1970-77 CD Roundabout, I've Seen All Good People US $2.49 [0 bids]
49m 37s
Al Stewart Last Days Of The Century SEALED 1st Press 1988 German Enigma CD Yes US $25.95 Buy It Now 54m 46s
Jethro Tull Roots to Branches SEALED 1997 USA CD Camel Caravan Camel Yes Genesis US $11.95 Buy It Now 54m 47s
N/SOUL.GERONIMO & APACHES.OH YES BABY I LOVE YOU SO.RARE U.S.ORIG 7".EX US $22.28 Buy It Now 55m 33s
AL PERKINS - Yes, My Goodness Yes - SOUL DANCE DJ 45 M- US $18.09 Buy It Now 56m 13s
YES-9012 LIVE THE SOLOS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD E25 US $22.50 Buy It Now 56m 16s
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $0.01 [0 bids]
58m 4s
Pet Shop Boys : Yes, etc (2CDs) (2009) US $22.68 Buy It Now 58m 32s
Yes "Union" CD - AUTOGRAPHED by Tony Kaye, Alan White, Billy Sherwood - RARE US $19.99 [1 bids]
1h
LOT OF 8 ROCK ALBUMS LP "YES" RECORDS US $9.99 [1 bids]
1h
Soul 45 BARBARA MASON Yes, It's You on Buddah US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Carol Ventura TEEN 45 (Roulette #4396) Yes Sir, That's My Baby PROMO COPY US $3.12 Buy It Now 1h 4m
PAUL PERRYMAN: Yes I Do / Just For Your Call 45 rare Blues & R&B US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Yes "90125" CD (2004)- Autographed by Tony Kaye, Alan White, Billy Sherwood US $19.99 [0 bids]
YES-9012LIVE-The SOLOS--(FACTORY SEALED LP) ATCO Records US $9.99 [0 bids]
Yes "Big Generator" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
WEBB PIERCE "YES I KNOW WHY" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
YES usa 1983 Atco dj 7" 45 IT CAN HAPPEN 4:15 edit promo US $7.20 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Yes The Raven - Love Is Covered In Dust [CD New] US $17.23 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Teratism - Service For The Damned CD Yes, the wait is finally over! US $3.99 [0 bids]
Kenny Rogers Jr. yes - no / maybe JAPAN 1st press CD 29b2-123 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Valerie Mountain : Some People - Yes You Did : PYE : 7N.15450 US $4.52 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Beatles - 1964 - 45rpm - #5407 - Ticket to Ride & Yes It Is US $9.50 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Yes Drama LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Yes Wonderous Stories Framed Gold Disc Record Vinyl US $113.40 Buy It Now 1h 39m
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - WE HAVE THE FACTS AND WE'RE VOTING YES - NEW CD US $10.94 Buy It Now 1h 39m
YES-THE BEST OF YES (1970-1987)-JAPAN CD C00 US $15.50 Buy It Now 1h 39m
ALAN WHITE, drummer of YES, solo 45 DJ copy OOOH BABY, rare promo US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
GENESIS - CASSETTE SPAIN 1981 - Progressive Rock no rush floyd yes US $4.35 [0 bids]
CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE CD-ELP-YES-STYX-BAD COMPANY-HUMBLE PIE-THE TUBES-MAGNUM US $4.68 [3 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN-JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 A&M REC. SP-3621 VG+ YES US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
YES, orig 1st press US LP, "DRAMA", EX/EX gatefold, Steve Howe, Chris Squire YES US $7.77 [0 bids]
YES usa 1983 Atco dj 7" 45 OWNER OF A BROKEN HEART w/PS, promo US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Yes Going For The One Lp Atlantic USA 1977 Tri-Folded Sleeve . Prog Classic Rock US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
King Crimson/Yes/Family/Love Sculpture/Village Marquee Club August 1969 Flyer US $194.42 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Yes The Millenium Collection 18 Tracks New Sealed Condition 2 CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE CD-ROGER WATERS-YES-DAVID COVERDALE-THE NICE-21 GUNS-COC US $4.03 [0 bids]
Classic Yes 33 ep ROUNDABOUT / I'VE SEEN ALL GOOD... ~ Atlantic VG++ to M- rock US $5.00 [0 bids]
BOBBY LEWIS Oh Yes I Love You M- 45 RPM REISSUE US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h
YES AMERICA 7" SINGLE CHEAP ATLANTIC GOLD SERIES US $4.84 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Rex Allen Jr. Yes We Have Love/Another Goodbye 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 5m
YES - LIFT ME UP/GIVE & TAKE - 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
SMOKEY ROBINSON~YES IT'S YOU LADY~TAMLA~~ NORTHERN SOUL 45 US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
YES YESTERDAYS LP 504 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Happy Mondays -- Yes Please CD US $1.29 [0 bids]
Yes,SEALED 2-CD,Yestory,Made in Germany US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Yes- Don't Kill The Whale - 7 Inch Single - 1978 US $1.62 [0 bids]
BINNIE HALE & BOBBY HOWES YES MADAM COLUMBIA DX626 12" RECORD US $4.03 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Yes!/Taste/Blossom Toes/Chicken Shack/Circus Marquee Club September 1969 Flyer US $202.53 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Alyson Williams - Yes We Can Can - U.S. PROMO 12" VINYL US $5.98 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Fats Domino - Yes, My Darling US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Sensations Let Me In / Oh Yes I'll Be True 45 Argo 5405 US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Yes "Time and a Word" LP NM Rare Russian Press US $11.99 [0 bids]
Cousin Tuny: Mortgaged Plymouth / Yes-sir-ee-bob-o-link-o [New US $5.97 Buy It Now 2h 21m
YES 90125 (Cassette) US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
CAMEL MIRAGE CD KING CRIMSON CARAVAN GENTLE GIANT GENESIS YES VAN DER GRAF GONG US $4.99 [0 bids]
Ricky Nelson (1960 VG+) "Yes Sir, That's My Baby & I'm Not Afraid" IMP # 5685 US $1.99 [0 bids]
HIXVILLE: WE'LL HAVE A TIME, YES-SIREE - NEW CD US $12.34 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Junior Yes If You Want Me (PS) 7" Vinyl Single US $9.32 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Pat Boone Yes Indeed! Condition (LP/Sleeve): VG+/VG US $7.25 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Vintage 1983 LP "Yes 90125" Atlantic Records Excellent Condition US $6.89 [0 bids]
Yes - 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' - Picture Sleeve - 1983. US $3.24 [0 bids]
YES, FRIENDS & RELATIVES - VOLUME 2 - 2 CD Album US $6.46 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Yes 90125 Record 90125-1 Atco Atlantic ~ US $7.15 Buy It Now 2h 40m
EDDY GRANT* 7" VINYL* I LOVE YOU, YES, I LOVE YOU* 1981 * ENY 216 US $1.60 [0 bids]
Yes - "Yesterdays" (1974) Atlantic Records SD 18103 Used LP Record Album US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
MERSEYBEATS: I Love You, Yes I Do / See Me Back (rock & pop vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 51m
1982 - Treacherous Three - Yes We Can-Can - SUGARHILL RECORDS ORIGINAL PRESSING US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Yes!/Smile (early Queen)/John Dummer/Quatermass Marquee Club December 1969 Flyer US $356.44 Buy It Now 2h 54m
PATRICK MORAZ Windows Of Time REMASETERED IMPORT CD YES & MOODY BLUES vet US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
PATRICK MORAZ Change Of Space REMAST IMP CD Alex Ligertowood YES MOODY BLUES US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Rockabilly; Bill Sherrell; Kool Kat / Yes, No or Maybe on TYME rare '75 reissue US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
THE BEATLES 45 TICKET TO RIDE - YES IT IS US $19.99 [0 bids]
BUDDY LANDON 45 Promo - Oh Yes- Jaguar Label Rockabilly DJ US $34.99 [0 bids]
Yes Fragile A1/B1 PLAYS NR EX!! DECENT COPY!! G,FOLD BOOKLET UK LP US $8.08 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Yes Tormato PLAYS EX! INNER ORIGINAL USA LP US $6.46 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Hollywood Flames Yes They Do/Gee 45 RPM Chess Records VG- US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 12m
YES CLASSIC YES LP-PLAYED 1 TIME-TRANSFERRED TO CASSETTE--SMOKE FREE STORED US $20.00 [0 bids]
Dinah Shore-Dinah, Yes Indeed!-Capitol 1247-NELSON RIDDLE US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Yes - Yes Songs 3lp US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Rick Wakeman - Journey CD Yes SEALED NEW US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
YES - YESSHOWS - BONUS TRACKS (EXPANDED) NEW CD US $27.25 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Yes/ABWH - 19 Mini LP 21 HD CD Japan + 3 BOXES 1st PRESS VERY RARE OOP COMPLETE! US $900.00 Buy It Now 3h 19m
TOMMY DORSEY- Yes Indeed CD (Sy Oliver Swing Arrangements) 1990 US $6.46 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Yes Going for the One 8 Track Tape TESTED US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Tormato by Yes(Atlantic...1978) VG+ LP US $3.00 [0 bids]
*RARE* Majority Rule - Jimmy Riley / The Revolutionaries - Label Yes Near Mint US $210.61 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Dinah Shore-Dinah, Yes Indeed!-Capitol 1247-NELSON RIDDLE STEREO US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE Self Titled 1989 West Germany Oop CD Yes Asia 80s US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 32m
YES CLOSE TO THE EDGE CD STILL FACTORY SEALED! US $40.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Unknown Artist Yes He Lives CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 34m
NOS GO GO'S.....YES OR NO US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Yes: Lift Me Up (3 tracks Promo Single CD) US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Steve Howe - Not Necessarily Acoustic (Live Recording, 2001) VERY RARE YES ASIA US $34.67 Buy It Now 3h 46m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES America ratings distribution

YES America reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars "America" is a song composed by Paul Simon and originally recorded by Simon and Garfunkel in the sixties. YES was performing their own arrangement of this song live since 1970-71, when the line-up of the band was Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Kaye-Howe. Both Anderson and Squire liked Simon & Garfunkel`s music, so I think that it was the reason why YES did their arrangement for this song in the early seventies.

YES` "Full Lenght Version" of "America" originally was released in "The Age of Atlantic" album in July 1972, but it was recorded by the YES` line-up of Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe, in early 1972. It has been said that Wakeman didn`t like this song, so Bruford played the keyboards, but I don`t know how true it is. Anyway, the "Full Lenght Version" for this song is much better than the edited version included in this single in 1972. I heard it for the first time in YES`"Yesyears" Box Set which was released in 1991. This single version is obviously edited very much, so the arrangement of the full song is lost for the single version, so it is not very good, in my opinion. The "Full Lenght Version" is much better, and was released for the first time in a YES album in 1975 in the "Yesterdays" compilation album.

I think that the versions of "Total Mass Retain" and "Your Move" released as B-sides for this single in different times are only the titled parts of the longer songs from which they were taken ("Close to the Edge" and "I`ve Seen All Good People", respectively), as I don`t have any of these singles. But being "America" the main song of these singles, I think that it was good to comment about the quality of this "single-edit" version.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#132454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 09, 2007

Review by baz91
3 stars In their early days, Yes used to do mainly covers of songs, by adding more and more to the song until it was barely recognisable. A great example of this is their take of 'Every Little Thing' by The Beatles, released on their eponymous debut album. In my mind, Simon & Garfunkel's 'America' is the last cover they ever did.

The song, which was originally three and half minutes long, was stretched to a whopping ten and a half minutes by Yes. It is this version that I shall review first.

Besides the lyrics, this version is completely unrecognisable from the original. There is a 2:30 intro instrumental, a 3:30 jam in the centre, and a 1:00 instrumental outro for starters. The jam ITSELF is as long as the original song. Amazingly, with it's ten minute length, Yes's version does not include all the lyrics from the original (it misses out the verse 'Toss me a cigarette...'). Yes's version is however, a prog rock masterpiece. All of the arrangements are fantastic, the instrumentals are awesome. The jam is so much fun, just listening to the band let themselves go for 3 minutes. A truly 5 star song, and much better than the original.

The first version I heard of this song, was the single version, which was released on the remastered 'Close to the Edge'. The song is cut down to just over 4 minutes by getting rid of the intro instrumental and the lengthy jam. Without these instrumentals, it's hard to see what Yes were trying to do, and the song is rather confusing and clumsy, and doesn't feel like a prog rock masterpiece at all.

The B-sides to this single: Total Mass Retain is a brief snippet from Close to the Edge. Much like you get short demos of video games, this very much feels like a demo for the song. It does however sport some of the most progressive music ever recorded in 3 minutes and is notable for that. Whilst not really working as a standalone song, this would definitely tempt me into buying the record. Your Move is the first half of I've Seen All Good People from The Yes Album. I love this track for it's fantastic lyrics, and brilliant melody, although you feel a bit empty when you realise that the 'All Good People' section is missing.

If I ever saw this single for a decent price, I'd probably buy it as a collectible, but the music contained on it is nothing to shout about when compared with the originals. The full length America, is a standalone masterpiece though.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#411498) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 05, 2011

3 stars A surprising single released by Yes in 1972. A cover of a great Simon and Garfunkel tune which I think outdoes the original. As you can tell by the organ sounds, this is a Rick Wakeman number. I did not first here this until I obtained a copy of YESTERDAYS and it was a big suprise to me how much I e ... (read more)

Report this review (#733609) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, April 20, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "America"