AMERICA

Side A:
1. America

Side B:
2. Total Mass Retain
On "Atlantic Oldies Series"
2. Your Move

- Rick Wakeman / keyboards
- Chris Squire / bass, vocals
- Bill Bruford / drums

US 1972 Atlantic 2899
US Atlantic Oldies Series OS-13141 with "Your Move"
BRA Atco ATCS 10036
JPN Atlantic P-1161A with picture sleeve
NZ Atlantic ATL109

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES America Music

Going for the OneGoing for the One
Atlantic 2003
Tales From Topographic OceansTales From Topographic Oceans
Rhino/Elektra 2003
Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary CollectionUltimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection
Elektra / Wea 2004
YES- DON'T KILL THE WHALE VINYL 7" 45RPM US $1.66 Buy It Now 31m 9s
YES THE YES ALBUM atlantic German Lp MINT US $21.81 Buy It Now 37m 25s
YES 'Close To The Edge' Gatefold Audiophile 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $29.97 Buy It Now 38m 7s
Oh No Ono - Yes - CD [USG] US $7.10 Buy It Now 44m 16s
FREE EMS SHIPPING 2013 REMASTER YES HIGH VIBRATION JAPAN 14 SACD BOX US $468.00 Buy It Now 48m 14s
YES-DRAMA 1980 G/F LP + INSERT US $6.70 Buy It Now 51m 52s
Yes-America/Total Mass Retain USA 7" Single EX Cond US $11.74 Buy It Now 57m 53s
YES-GOING FOR THE ONE LP + INNER in FOLDOUT SLEEVE US $8.38 Buy It Now 1h
YES 90125 1983 JAPAN 11 +++++ CD OBI 3200yen 32XD US $99.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
YES-GOING FOR THE ONE LP + INNER SLEEVE 1980s ISSUE-TOP COPY US $13.42 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Jon Anderson Candle Song [CD-Single][3-tracks] *SEALED UK 1994 Yes and Vangelis US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Melissa Etheridge , Audio CD, Yes I Am US $5.44 Buy It Now 1h 9m
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE -S/T G/F LP + INNER SLEEVE YES US $8.38 Buy It Now 1h 12m
LP YES TORMATO **VG+ VINYL** US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Promo 45 rpm - YES, I'M READY - Teri DeSario - 1979 Snuggle Record - MINT DJ US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Yes - Yesterday NEW CD US $9.57 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Dodie Stevens - 45 - Pink Shoe Laces & Yes-Sir-Ee US $0.50 [1 bids]
KEVIN AYERS Yes We Have No Mananas 2009 UK 19tk promo test CD US $8.38 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Yes I Am 8US) CD US $4.39 Buy It Now 2h
Yes : Classic Yes CD (1990) US $4.39 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Yes - Open Your Eyescd as new US $10.08 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Yes I Am US $4.13 Buy It Now 2h 12m
OBAMA CLASSICS yes we can JAPAN CD SEALED KV11 US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
JACKIE WILSON AND LINDA HOPKINS-Yes Indeed UK 7" EX Cond US $25.17 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Yes - Classic VERY GOOD (CD 1981 CAT NO. 250 842) 24HR POST US $6.03 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Yes - Owner of a lonely heart NEW CD 24HR POST US $8.73 Buy It Now 2h 26m
YES " TALK " RARE ORIGINAL UK COPY ROCK LP 1994 NM- US $44.35 [7 bids]
JUNIOR ~ Yes If You Want Me ~ 12" Single PS US $5.02 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Yes! by Chad Brock (CD, May-2000, Warner Bros.) US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Yes (2014, Vinyl New) 180gm Vinyl US $28.18 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Yes Close to the Edge 1972 1st George Piros Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, VG US $15.84 Buy It Now 2h 54m
YES/LEAVE IT JPN P1845 US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h
Yes 1992 Tour Book for Japan Ticket Stubs Jon Anderson US $149.99 Buy It Now 3h
Yes - Extended Versions by Yes US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Relayer [Remaster] by Yes US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Various - Yes M'lord! NEW CD US $13.84 Buy It Now 3h 10m
ASIA Spirit Of The Night Japan DVD YES ELP KING CRIMSON URIAH HEEP US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
ASIA Phoenix Rare 2008 Japan 13-Track DJ CD YES ELP KING CRIMSON URIAH HEEP US $59.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Anderson Wakeman Howe Japan Tour Book Ticket Stubs Yes US $149.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Gene Kelly/Betty Garrett - 78rpm 10" - Yes Indeedy/Take Me Out To The Ball Game US $3.49 [2 bids]
Exodus The Most Beautiful Day- Polish symph prog 1980 Eloy Yes Genesis US $7.50 Buy It Now 3h 28m
YES USA SUMMER TOUR 2014 TOUR DATE BLACK T SHIRT S-M-L-XL-2XL TEE US $19.99 [0 bids]
Do Me Bad Things - Yes! UK FREEPOST US $2.62 Buy It Now 3h 31m
THE DRESDEN DOLLS - YES, VIRGINIA... [PA] - NEW CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Yes - Highlights (The Very Best of , 1993) US $8.38 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Aesops Fables 45 Girl I've Got News For You / Yes I'm Back 1967 VG++ US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
2 LP Lot Yes "Yessongs" & Electric Light Orchestra " Olé ELO" US $13.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
YES FRAGILE FIRST EDITION GATEFOLD LP W/BOOKLET ROGER DEAN US $7.99 [0 bids]
YES- FRAGILE VINYL ALBUM US $6.70 Buy It Now 3h 48m
YES- TALES FROM TOPGRAPHIC OCEANS DOUBLE VINYL ALBUM US $6.70 Buy It Now 3h 48m
YES TALES OF TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS atlantic 73 A2B3C2D3 double Lp EX VINYLS US $30.21 Buy It Now 3h 48m
JOHNNIE RAY - 50s Sheet Music - YES,TONIGHT JOSEPHINE US $23.51 Buy It Now 3h 50m
DINAH SHORE " DINAH, YES INDEED! ST-1247 STEREO US $6.00 [0 bids]
The Girls "Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, No" 2008 Dirtnap Lp / New US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
YES don't kill the whale 7" b/w abalene (k11184) pic sleeve uk atlantic 1978 US $8.38 Buy It Now 3h 56m
YES going for the one 7" silver/black label design b/w awaken pt 1 (k11047) uk a US $8.38 Buy It Now 3h 56m
FIVE STAR if i say yes and PT 40982 uk rca 1986 12" PS EX/EX US $15.10 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Morphine - Yes - Canadian CD Album US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Union by Yes (CD, Apr-1991, Arista) US $4.45 Buy It Now 4h
Highlights: The Very Best of Yes by Yes  HITS  Minty CD  New Case US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h
DINAH SHORE dinah yes indeed LP PS EX/EX uk music for pleasure MFP 5606 US $15.10 Buy It Now 4h 3m
DINAH SHORE dinah yes indeed LP PS EX/EX uk world record club T 408 US $15.10 Buy It Now 4h 6m
YES * LIFT ME UP & GIVE & TAKE * 45RPM US $4.75 Buy It Now 4h 6m
YES 45 PS 7" SPAIN JON ANDERSON TREVOR HORN TREVOR RABIN - CORAZON SOLITARIO US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
IVORY JOE HUNTER ~ YES I WANT YOU / YOU FLIP ME ~ ORIG ATLANTIC R US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m
GO-GO'S YES OR NO PROMO 7" Double-A side NM UNPLAYED Jane Wiedlin US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m
OZZY OSBOURNE-Ozzmosis/BLACK SABBATH/Zakk Wylde/YES-new US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 13m
YES Highlights - The Very Best Of JAPAN CD OBI 1993 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
YES Talk JAPAN CD OBI 1994 PROMO YEN2500 US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
YES 9012 LIVE THE SOLOS ORIGINAL JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD WARNER BROS WPCR-13528 US $32.99 [0 bids]
YES 90125 ORIGINAL JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD WARNER BROS WPCR-13527 US $32.99 [0 bids]
YES TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEAN PROMO EMPTY WATERFALL BOX JAPAN MINI LP CD US $129.99 [0 bids]
YES WONDEROUS STORIES / PARALLELS CLASSIC ROCK VINYL 7" SINGLE US $3.34 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Toshinori Yonekura with BIG HORNS BEE Yes,I do. Japan 3'' CD PIDL-1224 US $2.99 [0 bids]
YES ~ 90125 ~ RARE CANADIAN PROMOTIONAL / DJ LP US $28.00 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Perry Phil - Say Yes NEW CD US $17.41 Buy It Now 4h 34m
SUPERTRACKS / 1976 LP PINK FLOYD,STONES.LED ZEP,YES,JETHRO TULL,GENESIS,WAKEMAN US $8.38 Buy It Now 4h 38m
MAX GRAHAM VS YES - OWNER OF A LONELY HEART - HOUSE CD SINGLE US $5.86 Buy It Now 4h 39m
YES**9012 LIVE (EXPANDED)**CD US $15.50 Buy It Now 4h 40m
JON ANDERSON ~ YES ~ WHITE LABEL PROMOTIONAL / DJ SINGLES ~ FROM "3 SHIPS" US $42.00 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Tormato - Yes (2013, Vinyl New) US $26.21 Buy It Now 4h 48m
The Beatles Ticket To Ride / Yes It Is 45 rpm with Picture Sleeve US $15.00 [0 bids]
JAZZ LP Tommy Dorsey "Yes Indeed!" RCA Victor # LPM-1229 US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Yes The Yes Album VINYL LP 1971 UK Atlantic K40106 EX US $16.79 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Maggio Marty - Yes Country NEW CD US $17.41 Buy It Now 4h 48m
JOHNNY - SAY YES VARRO - SAY YES - ARBORS PIANO SERIES AT MIKE'S PLACE 2 NEW CD US $22.41 Buy It Now 4h 55m
YES FRAGILE MINI LP CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Dinah Shore Dinah, Yes Indeed UK Reissue LP MFP Recs US $12.59 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Yes-Refugee-1974 Charisma Lp- US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
YES! QUARTET - NEW CD US $6.72 Buy It Now 5h 12m
YES Fragile + Bonus Tracks CD NEW & SEALED US $11.33 Buy It Now 5h 15m
7"-Single YES - And You And I (Part 1+2) (1972) WL PROMO / RARE GERMANY PS US $99.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
GTR s/t LP steve howe hackett YES genesis EX Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
RARE CD!!! Yes-LIVE at Roundhouse in London on 2/27/71 US $32.99 Buy It Now 5h 18m
HAPPY MONDAYS-...YES PLEASE JAPAN NEW SEALED CD US $37.00 Buy It Now 5h 19m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES America ratings distribution

YES America reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars "America" is a song composed by Paul Simon and originally recorded by Simon and Garfunkel in the sixties. YES was performing their own arrangement of this song live since 1970-71, when the line-up of the band was Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Kaye-Howe. Both Anderson and Squire liked Simon & Garfunkel`s music, so I think that it was the reason why YES did their arrangement for this song in the early seventies.

YES` "Full Lenght Version" of "America" originally was released in "The Age of Atlantic" album in July 1972, but it was recorded by the YES` line-up of Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe, in early 1972. It has been said that Wakeman didn`t like this song, so Bruford played the keyboards, but I don`t know how true it is. Anyway, the "Full Lenght Version" for this song is much better than the edited version included in this single in 1972. I heard it for the first time in YES`"Yesyears" Box Set which was released in 1991. This single version is obviously edited very much, so the arrangement of the full song is lost for the single version, so it is not very good, in my opinion. The "Full Lenght Version" is much better, and was released for the first time in a YES album in 1975 in the "Yesterdays" compilation album.

I think that the versions of "Total Mass Retain" and "Your Move" released as B-sides for this single in different times are only the titled parts of the longer songs from which they were taken ("Close to the Edge" and "I`ve Seen All Good People", respectively), as I don`t have any of these singles. But being "America" the main song of these singles, I think that it was good to comment about the quality of this "single-edit" version.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#132454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 09, 2007

Review by baz91
3 stars In their early days, Yes used to do mainly covers of songs, by adding more and more to the song until it was barely recognisable. A great example of this is their take of 'Every Little Thing' by The Beatles, released on their eponymous debut album. In my mind, Simon & Garfunkel's 'America' is the last cover they ever did.

The song, which was originally three and half minutes long, was stretched to a whopping ten and a half minutes by Yes. It is this version that I shall review first.

Besides the lyrics, this version is completely unrecognisable from the original. There is a 2:30 intro instrumental, a 3:30 jam in the centre, and a 1:00 instrumental outro for starters. The jam ITSELF is as long as the original song. Amazingly, with it's ten minute length, Yes's version does not include all the lyrics from the original (it misses out the verse 'Toss me a cigarette...'). Yes's version is however, a prog rock masterpiece. All of the arrangements are fantastic, the instrumentals are awesome. The jam is so much fun, just listening to the band let themselves go for 3 minutes. A truly 5 star song, and much better than the original.

The first version I heard of this song, was the single version, which was released on the remastered 'Close to the Edge'. The song is cut down to just over 4 minutes by getting rid of the intro instrumental and the lengthy jam. Without these instrumentals, it's hard to see what Yes were trying to do, and the song is rather confusing and clumsy, and doesn't feel like a prog rock masterpiece at all.

The B-sides to this single: Total Mass Retain is a brief snippet from Close to the Edge. Much like you get short demos of video games, this very much feels like a demo for the song. It does however sport some of the most progressive music ever recorded in 3 minutes and is notable for that. Whilst not really working as a standalone song, this would definitely tempt me into buying the record. Your Move is the first half of I've Seen All Good People from The Yes Album. I love this track for it's fantastic lyrics, and brilliant melody, although you feel a bit empty when you realise that the 'All Good People' section is missing.

If I ever saw this single for a decent price, I'd probably buy it as a collectible, but the music contained on it is nothing to shout about when compared with the originals. The full length America, is a standalone masterpiece though.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#411498) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 05, 2011

3 stars A surprising single released by Yes in 1972. A cover of a great Simon and Garfunkel tune which I think outdoes the original. As you can tell by the organ sounds, this is a Rick Wakeman number. I did not first here this until I obtained a copy of YESTERDAYS and it was a big suprise to me how much I e ... (read more)

Report this review (#733609) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, April 20, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "America"