AMERICA

Side A:
1. America

Side B:
2. Total Mass Retain
On "Atlantic Oldies Series"
2. Your Move

- Rick Wakeman / keyboards
- Chris Squire / bass, vocals
- Bill Bruford / drums

US 1972 Atlantic 2899
US Atlantic Oldies Series OS-13141 with "Your Move"
BRA Atco ATCS 10036
JPN Atlantic P-1161A with picture sleeve
NZ Atlantic ATL109

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES America Music

Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
The Studio Albums 1969-1987The Studio Albums 1969-1987
Atlantic Catalog Group 2013
Yes 'Big Generator' Cassette Album (1987) US $0.79 [1 bids]
30m 39s
[CD 28] Lot of 2 Melissa Etheridge Yes I Am 1993 Your Little Secret 1995 US $2.99 Buy It Now 31m 50s
Rick Wakeman (of Yes fame) NM France CD Rock & Pop Legends US $14.99 Buy It Now 34m 46s
YELLO You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess STIFF 1983 UK press US $14.46 Buy It Now 40m 43s
Rick Wakeman (YES)/Live (Japan/12" LASER DISC/Sealed) US $49.99 Buy It Now 40m 47s
YES....90125 US $3.95 Buy It Now 40m 50s
Yes-magazine advert US $8.02 Buy It Now 41m 10s
Barbara Mason (soul) 45 Bed & Board / Yes It's About You ~ Buddah VG+ US $6.24 Buy It Now 44m 56s
James Brown IT'S A MAN'S MAN'S MAN'S WORLD / IS IT YES OR IS IT NO? - 45 record US $5.00 Buy It Now 47m 30s
The Yes Album (Remastered) 0081227378820, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $15.26 Buy It Now 53m 39s
CD MELISSA ETHERIDGE Yes I Am MINT CANADIAN US $5.00 Buy It Now 59m 35s
Yes - Tormato - CD (1994) US $4.82 [0 bids]
Yes - Big Generator - CD (1987) US $4.82 [0 bids]
YES "Fragile" - Atlantic LP SD 19132 gatefold w/ 1841 Broadway address on Jacket US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
YES Yesterdays '74 1st w photo-info sleeve SD18103 US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 8m
McAlmont & Butler "Yes" #1 of 2 SEALED CD single '95 UK US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 8m
McAlmont & Butler "Yes" #2 of 2 SEALED CD single '95 UK US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Yes (Remastered) 0081227378622, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $17.58 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Charmaine Bubbler - Say Yes - Listen US $9.63 Buy It Now 1h 17m
90125 by Yes (CD, Mar-1984, Atco (USA)) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
ORIG 1982 LP"SANDI PATTI" LIFT UP TO THE LORD-YES GOD IS REAL,JESUS LORD TO ME US $2.49 [0 bids]
YES tormato SD 19202 usa atlantic LP PS EX/VG with inner deletion cut in sleeve US $14.46 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Flash - Flash (2009) CD (1972) Prog Rock Peter Banks (Yes) US $13.33 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Flash - In the Can [Remastered] (2010) CD (1972) Prog Peter Banks (Yes) US $13.33 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Flash - Out Of Our Hands CD (2010) Prog Rock 1973 Peter Banks (Yes) US $13.33 Buy It Now 1h 25m
RICK WAKEMAN (OF YES) white rock AMLH 64614 A1/B1 uk a&m 1st press LP PS EX/EX US $14.46 Buy It Now 1h 25m
YES yesterdays K50048 A2/B1 early pressing uk atlantic 1974 LP PS EX/EX + inner US $14.46 Buy It Now 1h 25m
ALAN WHITE (OF YES) ramshackled K50217 A2/B2 uk atlantic 1976 LP PS EX/EX inners US $14.46 Buy It Now 1h 25m
RICK WAKEMAN (OF YES) rhapsodies AMLX 68508 A3/B3/C4/D4 1979 DOUBLE LP PS EX/EX US $14.46 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Snow Patrol - Just Say Yes US $8.02 [0 bids]
MELISSA ETHERIDGE, Yes I Am, NEW! US $6.80 Buy It Now 1h 26m
YES yesshows SD 2-510 usa atlantic 1980 DOUBLE LP PS EX/EX US $14.46 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Yes - Live at Montreux 2003 (2007) 2CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $12.33 Buy It Now 1h 30m
YES 9012 LIVE THE SOLOS RECORD ALBUM LP US $5.49 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Fats Domino 45 "Yes My Darling/"Don't You Know I Love U US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Yes Fragile (Cassette, 1972, Atlantic) US $1.99 [0 bids]
The Angelic Gospel Singers Yes My Jesus Cares & Somebody Saved Me 78 TESTED VVG US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
THE SENSATIONS[Philadelphia], Let Me in-Oh Yes I'll Be True,45 COLL1368, EX, VG+ US $11.95 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Yes - Yessongs NEW CD US $7.67 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Yes - Close To The Edge [Remastered] NEW CD ALBUM US $8.80 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Yes Album, The by Yes (CD, Aug-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $9.00 [0 bids]
YES FRAGLE 180 GRAM STILL SEALED. GREAT ALBUM. US $24.95 [0 bids]
Rare Yes Yesstory Double CD Early Japanese Pressing-Atco AMCY 284-5 NO UPC VG+ US $27.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Yes Something's Coming BBC Recordings sealed 180g 2LP US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
HIGHWWAY 101 - I'LL BE MISSING YOU/JUST SAY YES - 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Yes Indeed! Tommy Dorsey album vintage US $3.99 [0 bids]
YES-FRAGILE CLUB ISSUE NEAR MINT CD US $7.63 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Ricky Nelson 1960 Imperial 45rpm I'm Not Afraid b/w Yes Sir, That's My Baby US $15.00 [0 bids]
YES - The Best of Yes: 1970-1987 - Japan CD - WPCR-15326 US $40.39 [0 bids]
YES - THE YES ALBUM - JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD - NEW ORIGINAL US $75.74 [0 bids]
YES - KEYS TO ASCENSION [4CD+DVD] - NEW BOXSET US $48.06 [0 bids]
YES - The Yes Album - 24 kt GOLD - New #'d CD - Collectors Edition MOFI US $55.54 [0 bids]
YES - TIME AND A WORD [Bonus Tracks] - JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $56.55 [0 bids]
YES - YESSHOWS - JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD - 2 CD - OOP US $70.69 [0 bids]
Yes - BBC Sessions - Czech Republic Import 2xCD Rare Not Promo Rick Wakeman US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES> CLOSE TO THE EDGE> EXCELLENT TEXTURED ORIG 1972 1841 B-WAY ATLANTIC LP> US $5.96 [0 bids]
2h
GOV'T MULE The Deep End Volume 1 & 2 2CD set SEALED / NEW Cream Yes Airplane US $14.36 Buy It Now 2h
Yes, Please CD by Happy Mondays Nice! US $12.95 Buy It Now 2h
Yes Sir That's My Baby-Golden Years Of Tin Pan [CD New] US $19.47 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Close to the Edge - Yes New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $35.43 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Peter Gallway - Yes Yes Yes [CD New] US $15.79 Buy It Now 2h 5m
MASON, Barbara - Yes I'm Ready/Oh How It Hurts (stereo) (reissue) - 2xLP US $61.90 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Yes - Studio Albums 1969-1987 [CD New] US $51.33 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Yes! Quartet [CD New] US $10.77 Buy It Now 2h 9m
18 HARD ROCK HITS -VAR (CD 1997) DIO CULT LIZZY YES FIONA SABBATH POISON PURPLE US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
LP RICK WAKEMAN SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII 1974 A&M QUAD NM PROG ROCK YES STRAWBS US $39.98 Buy It Now 2h 9m
YES> FRAGILE> EXCELLENT ORIG 1972 1841 B-WAY ATLANTIC LP + INSERT> US $5.96 [0 bids]
Various Artists - Yes Man [CD New] US $17.63 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Jon Anderson - The More You Know CD Yes US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
YES : THE YES ALBUM (SD19131) - RARITIES US $6.99 [0 bids]
YES : CLOSE TO THE EDGE (SD1244) - RARITIES US $6.99 [0 bids]
YES : FRAGILE (SD19132) - RARITIES US $6.99 [0 bids]
Yes-Going For The One Japan Import LP W/Obi and Insert Audiophile. Near Mint US $45.98 Buy It Now 2h 17m
JUST SAY YES SIRE'S WINTER MUSIC SAMPLER VARIOUS ARTISTS CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Yes - Yes Album [CD New] US $7.76 Buy It Now 2h 20m
NELSON RANGELL YES THEN YES GRP JAZZ CD US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Yes : Union CD (1994) US $5.92 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Yello - You Gotta Say Yes To Another Expre NEW CD US $7.90 Buy It Now 2h 29m
YES Fragile LP record album VG 1972 12" 33 RPM US $4.98 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Supernatural Fairy Tales The Progressive Rock Era Sampler promo CD ELP, Yes US $6.99 [0 bids]
YES**CHASE TO THE EDGE**Atlantic**L@@K US $9.63 [0 bids]
Fragile, Yes, Acceptable Original recording reissued, Ori US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
JON ANDERSON 12" single - Hold On To Love 1988 UK Epic 6515146 A1/B1 NM YES US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Yes - Definitive Rock [CD New] US $13.46 Buy It Now 2h 38m
YES**SYMPHONIC LIVE**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 2h 41m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES America ratings distribution

YES America reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars "America" is a song composed by Paul Simon and originally recorded by Simon and Garfunkel in the sixties. YES was performing their own arrangement of this song live since 1970-71, when the line-up of the band was Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Kaye-Howe. Both Anderson and Squire liked Simon & Garfunkel`s music, so I think that it was the reason why YES did their arrangement for this song in the early seventies.

YES` "Full Lenght Version" of "America" originally was released in "The Age of Atlantic" album in July 1972, but it was recorded by the YES` line-up of Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe, in early 1972. It has been said that Wakeman didn`t like this song, so Bruford played the keyboards, but I don`t know how true it is. Anyway, the "Full Lenght Version" for this song is much better than the edited version included in this single in 1972. I heard it for the first time in YES`"Yesyears" Box Set which was released in 1991. This single version is obviously edited very much, so the arrangement of the full song is lost for the single version, so it is not very good, in my opinion. The "Full Lenght Version" is much better, and was released for the first time in a YES album in 1975 in the "Yesterdays" compilation album.

I think that the versions of "Total Mass Retain" and "Your Move" released as B-sides for this single in different times are only the titled parts of the longer songs from which they were taken ("Close to the Edge" and "I`ve Seen All Good People", respectively), as I don`t have any of these singles. But being "America" the main song of these singles, I think that it was good to comment about the quality of this "single-edit" version.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#132454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 09, 2007

Review by baz91
3 stars In their early days, Yes used to do mainly covers of songs, by adding more and more to the song until it was barely recognisable. A great example of this is their take of 'Every Little Thing' by The Beatles, released on their eponymous debut album. In my mind, Simon & Garfunkel's 'America' is the last cover they ever did.

The song, which was originally three and half minutes long, was stretched to a whopping ten and a half minutes by Yes. It is this version that I shall review first.

Besides the lyrics, this version is completely unrecognisable from the original. There is a 2:30 intro instrumental, a 3:30 jam in the centre, and a 1:00 instrumental outro for starters. The jam ITSELF is as long as the original song. Amazingly, with it's ten minute length, Yes's version does not include all the lyrics from the original (it misses out the verse 'Toss me a cigarette...'). Yes's version is however, a prog rock masterpiece. All of the arrangements are fantastic, the instrumentals are awesome. The jam is so much fun, just listening to the band let themselves go for 3 minutes. A truly 5 star song, and much better than the original.

The first version I heard of this song, was the single version, which was released on the remastered 'Close to the Edge'. The song is cut down to just over 4 minutes by getting rid of the intro instrumental and the lengthy jam. Without these instrumentals, it's hard to see what Yes were trying to do, and the song is rather confusing and clumsy, and doesn't feel like a prog rock masterpiece at all.

The B-sides to this single: Total Mass Retain is a brief snippet from Close to the Edge. Much like you get short demos of video games, this very much feels like a demo for the song. It does however sport some of the most progressive music ever recorded in 3 minutes and is notable for that. Whilst not really working as a standalone song, this would definitely tempt me into buying the record. Your Move is the first half of I've Seen All Good People from The Yes Album. I love this track for it's fantastic lyrics, and brilliant melody, although you feel a bit empty when you realise that the 'All Good People' section is missing.

If I ever saw this single for a decent price, I'd probably buy it as a collectible, but the music contained on it is nothing to shout about when compared with the originals. The full length America, is a standalone masterpiece though.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#411498) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 05, 2011

3 stars A surprising single released by Yes in 1972. A cover of a great Simon and Garfunkel tune which I think outdoes the original. As you can tell by the organ sounds, this is a Rick Wakeman number. I did not first here this until I obtained a copy of YESTERDAYS and it was a big suprise to me how much I e ... (read more)

Report this review (#733609) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, April 20, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "America"