AMERICA

Side A:
1. America

Side B:
2. Total Mass Retain
On "Atlantic Oldies Series"
2. Your Move

- Rick Wakeman / keyboards
- Chris Squire / bass, vocals
- Bill Bruford / drums

US 1972 Atlantic 2899
US Atlantic Oldies Series OS-13141 with "Your Move"
BRA Atco ATCS 10036
JPN Atlantic P-1161A with picture sleeve
NZ Atlantic ATL109

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES America Music

Heaven & EarthHeaven & Earth
Frontiers Records (Universal) 2014
Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Tales From Topographic OceansTales From Topographic Oceans
Rhino/Elektra 2003
Yes! Brock, Chad Audio CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 35m 45s
Yes - Going For The One 180G Vinyl Record LP US $37.73 Buy It Now 39m 29s
YES - Yesshows (reissue) - limited 180 gram vinyl gatefold 2xLP US $66.49 Buy It Now 46m 23s
78 RPM Webb Pierce "Yes I Know Why" & "Cause I Love You" US $4.23 [0 bids]
59m 37s
Yes - Time & A Word [Vinyl New] US $30.93 Buy It Now 1h
CHRIS SQUIRE-FISH OUT OF WATER VG++ CONDITION. YES. US $11.92 [0 bids]
ESQUIRE S/T DEBUT ALBUM. NM VINYL. CHRIS SQUIRE. YES. ASIA. US $10.92 [0 bids]
STEVE HOWE=BEGINNINGS VG++ VINYL. YES US $19.90 [0 bids]
Ray Charles - Yes Indeed [CD New] US $12.88 Buy It Now 1h
YES - IN THE PRESENT: LIVE FROM LYON [CD BOXSET] [3 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $129.59 Buy It Now 1h 4m
LAST AUTUMN'S DREAM - YES [BONUS TRACK] - NEW CD US $44.92 Buy It Now 1h 18m
YES (JON ANDERSON) - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF F) US $7.30 Buy It Now 1h 27m
5 STAR - If i say yes 7" single US $4.36 Buy It Now 1h 33m
HAPPY MONDAYS (tape) YES PLEASE US $8.09 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Jon Anderson Candle Song [CD-Single][3-tracks] *SEALED UK 1994 Yes and Vangelis US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Max Graham Vs Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart #156996 US $4.85 Buy It Now 1h 39m
BONNIE OWENS 'How Can Our Cheatin' Be Wrong' / Yes I Love You Only Promo 45 nice US $2.82 [0 bids]
YES Going For The One LP NEAR MINT Vinyl & Lyrics Sleeve TRI-FOLD Jacket PROG US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Geoffrey Downes & New Dance Orchestra ?- Light Program CD NEW SEALED Asia Yes US $4.04 Buy It Now 1h 45m
YES___Tormato___LP vinyl record album ----- Anderson - Wakeman - Howe --- Tomato US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
YES love will find away JAPAN 7" w/Flyer P-2235 kR4 US $25.19 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Yes Big Generator 1987 DMM Precision 1st Press ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Cleaned US $55.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Jam & Spoon You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess 12" Urban 1995 US $40.53 Buy It Now 1h 51m
ESSENTIAL YES - NEW CD BOXSET US $20.25 Buy It Now 1h 53m
YES ~ Highlights The Very Best of CD 1993 EXC 7 82517-2 US $4.89 Buy It Now 1h 53m
IF BY YES-Salt On Sea Glass VINYL LP NEW US $17.61 Buy It Now 2h
ORIGINAL MEMPHIS FIVE 78 (Pickles / Yes! We Have no bananas) JAZZ US $12.78 [0 bids]
If By Yes - Salt On Sea Glass [CD New] US $14.78 Buy It Now 2h 6m
YES Close To The Edge Orig. Master Recording US $36.00 [10 bids]
Morning Musume Egao Yes Nude Taiwan Ltd CD+32P Booklet US $23.68 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Glenn Barber - Yes Ma'm (I Found Her In A Honky Tonk) Promo EX Who In The World US $3.81 [0 bids]
Luciano Pavarotti: Yes, Giorgio / PDV 9001 US $8.62 Buy It Now 2h 21m
ESSENTIAL 80'S CD: 1980-84*J. GEILS BAND*YES*RICK SPRINGFIELD*KIM CARNES US $4.99 [0 bids]
Mel Torme Promo/DJ 45 RPM "Yes Indeed" & "Her Face" V-10232 Verve Records US $4.74 Buy It Now 2h 34m
SON HO YOUNG - Yes 1ST (GOD) KOREA CD *SEALED* RARE US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Yes - In A Word (Pozzoli Box) (NEW 5CD) US $56.75 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Yes - Big Generator (NEW CD) US $10.93 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Yes by Morphine (CD, Mar-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $2.50 [0 bids]
Yes Going For The One LP EX+-NM Vinyl "Lyric Sleeve" US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
CASSETTE: YES Tales from topographic oceans RARE ROCK POP PROG US $24.31 Buy It Now 2h 48m
CASSETTE: RICK WAKEMAN King Arthur knights of round table ROCK POP PROG YES US $5.66 Buy It Now 2h 48m
PINO DANIELE - THE BEST OF PINO DANIELE: YES I KNOW MY WAY - NEW CD US $6.38 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Yes - Magnification (NEW CD) US $20.66 Buy It Now 2h 53m
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE - AN EVENING OF YES MUSIC PLUS - HST025CD US $16.61 Buy It Now 2h 54m
The Polyphonic Spree - Yes It s True - CDBRED588 US $18.57 Buy It Now 3h 4m
The Blessing - All Is Yes (NEW CD) US $19.85 Buy It Now 3h 23m
NO?YES!! - RIDE ON TIME - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $17.09 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Fc Kahuna - Machine Says Yes - City Rockers #122670 US $4.85 Buy It Now 3h 27m
I'D Say Yes (Leliwa) - Illustrious - 2002 #86147 US $4.85 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Maffia Sound System - Yes I Do - Moving Target #103161 US $4.85 Buy It Now 3h 28m
YES CLASSIC YES JAPAN REPLICA EXACT TO ORIGINAL LP in a RARE OBI LIMITED HDCD US $84.99 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Devastations- YES U 2007 NEW CD US $22.85 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Ray Charles - Yes, Indeed! (NEW CD) US $10.93 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Trevor Rabin ~ Self Titled Same S/T / Japan LP/ Sheet White Label Promo YES US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Yes - Live At Montreux 2003 (NEW 2 x CD) US $20.66 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Morphine - Yes (NEW CD) US $15.80 Buy It Now 3h 44m
The New Age Of Atlantic LP (1972) Yes Dr John etc EX/VG US $8.09 Buy It Now 3h 44m
JASON MRAZ - YES! (CD 2014) NEW US $10.99 [0 bids]
BACCARA - YES SIR I CAN BOOGIE & SORRY I'M A LADY 7" 45 VINYL US $8.09 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Charlie Parker - Bird Song LP Used Record Import Yes To Jazz 10053 US $4.64 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Yes - Drama (NEW CD) US $8.42 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Yes - Highlights: The Very Best Of (NEW CD) US $8.27 Buy It Now 3h 53m
CHESTERFIELD KINGS Yes I Understand Beau Brummels 7" 45 PS Babiuk Prevost 2000 US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 54m
YES 90125 RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV 1ST PRESS UNIQUE LABEL 1984 VG+/EX US $13.00 Buy It Now 3h 55m
80's Records 45 RPM YES lot of 5 different records / 4 with picture sleeves US $8.00 [0 bids]
4h
Yes - Yes (NEW CD) US $8.27 Buy It Now 4h 3m
In the Present: Live from Lyon [2CD/1DVD] [Box] by Yes New and sealed. US $15.95 [0 bids]
YES SHOWS ( 1980 DOUBLE VINYL LP ) US $11.34 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Yes ! - Jason Mraz CD Sealed New 2014 US $7.81 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Morning Musume Egao Yes Nude CD+DVD limited edition A US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Lee Boys - Say Yes! (NEW CD) US $21.47 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Yes - Yesterday (NEW CD) US $12.55 Buy It Now 4h 13m
HOUSE OF YES LIVE FROM THE HOUSE OF BLUES 2 DISC SET ON EAGLE RECORDS US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES FRAGILE FIRST EDITION GATEFOLD LP W/BOOKLET ROGER DEAN US $7.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES TICKET TO RIDE / YES IT IS 45 7" ODEON JAPAN ORIGINAL BLACK WAX OR-1261 US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 15m
JIM OWEN Hell Yes I cheated b/w Dragging These Chains STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
MICHAEL McGLOIRY Love Every Inch Of Me b/w My Heart Says Yes STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Best of Yes Yes CD Sealed ! New ! 2012 Greatest hits US $5.98 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Love & Sex - Oh Yes (I Like It) - True Love #122438 US $4.85 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Anthony Acid - Yes I Do - Deeper Rekords - 1997 #247155 US $4.85 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Various Artists - Yes New York (Parental Advisory, 2003) US $4.85 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Extra Extra - Yes Yes Yes EP - 2005 #167512 US $4.85 Buy It Now 4h 19m
YES Japan 1983 LP+Obi 90125 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Yes - Yesshows (NEW CD) US $10.93 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Yes - Going For The One (Remastered) (NEW CD) US $10.93 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Yes - Close To The Edge (NEW CD) US $10.93 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Yes - The Ultimate Yes Collection (NEW CD) US $20.66 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Cecil Young Quartet "That Old Black Magic/Yes Sir! That's My Baby" Orig 78 RPM US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
RICK WAKEMAN-JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 A&M REC. SP-3621 VG+ YES US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
FIVE STAR IF I SAY YES 7" REMIX 45 RPM RARE PROMO VINYL SOUL US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Rare ! Scarce ! Sammy Davis, Jr. "Yes I Can /Courage" Reprise 7" vinyl US $218.94 [0 bids]
Lee Konitz - Yes Yes Nonet (Steeplechase) Lp US $26.00 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Yes Sir Boss - Desperation State (NEW CD) US $19.85 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Yes(Vinyl LP)90125-ATCO-790125 1-US-VG+/VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 44m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES America ratings distribution

YES America reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars "America" is a song composed by Paul Simon and originally recorded by Simon and Garfunkel in the sixties. YES was performing their own arrangement of this song live since 1970-71, when the line-up of the band was Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Kaye-Howe. Both Anderson and Squire liked Simon & Garfunkel`s music, so I think that it was the reason why YES did their arrangement for this song in the early seventies.

YES` "Full Lenght Version" of "America" originally was released in "The Age of Atlantic" album in July 1972, but it was recorded by the YES` line-up of Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe, in early 1972. It has been said that Wakeman didn`t like this song, so Bruford played the keyboards, but I don`t know how true it is. Anyway, the "Full Lenght Version" for this song is much better than the edited version included in this single in 1972. I heard it for the first time in YES`"Yesyears" Box Set which was released in 1991. This single version is obviously edited very much, so the arrangement of the full song is lost for the single version, so it is not very good, in my opinion. The "Full Lenght Version" is much better, and was released for the first time in a YES album in 1975 in the "Yesterdays" compilation album.

I think that the versions of "Total Mass Retain" and "Your Move" released as B-sides for this single in different times are only the titled parts of the longer songs from which they were taken ("Close to the Edge" and "I`ve Seen All Good People", respectively), as I don`t have any of these singles. But being "America" the main song of these singles, I think that it was good to comment about the quality of this "single-edit" version.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#132454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 09, 2007

Review by baz91
3 stars In their early days, Yes used to do mainly covers of songs, by adding more and more to the song until it was barely recognisable. A great example of this is their take of 'Every Little Thing' by The Beatles, released on their eponymous debut album. In my mind, Simon & Garfunkel's 'America' is the last cover they ever did.

The song, which was originally three and half minutes long, was stretched to a whopping ten and a half minutes by Yes. It is this version that I shall review first.

Besides the lyrics, this version is completely unrecognisable from the original. There is a 2:30 intro instrumental, a 3:30 jam in the centre, and a 1:00 instrumental outro for starters. The jam ITSELF is as long as the original song. Amazingly, with it's ten minute length, Yes's version does not include all the lyrics from the original (it misses out the verse 'Toss me a cigarette...'). Yes's version is however, a prog rock masterpiece. All of the arrangements are fantastic, the instrumentals are awesome. The jam is so much fun, just listening to the band let themselves go for 3 minutes. A truly 5 star song, and much better than the original.

The first version I heard of this song, was the single version, which was released on the remastered 'Close to the Edge'. The song is cut down to just over 4 minutes by getting rid of the intro instrumental and the lengthy jam. Without these instrumentals, it's hard to see what Yes were trying to do, and the song is rather confusing and clumsy, and doesn't feel like a prog rock masterpiece at all.

The B-sides to this single: Total Mass Retain is a brief snippet from Close to the Edge. Much like you get short demos of video games, this very much feels like a demo for the song. It does however sport some of the most progressive music ever recorded in 3 minutes and is notable for that. Whilst not really working as a standalone song, this would definitely tempt me into buying the record. Your Move is the first half of I've Seen All Good People from The Yes Album. I love this track for it's fantastic lyrics, and brilliant melody, although you feel a bit empty when you realise that the 'All Good People' section is missing.

If I ever saw this single for a decent price, I'd probably buy it as a collectible, but the music contained on it is nothing to shout about when compared with the originals. The full length America, is a standalone masterpiece though.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#411498) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 05, 2011

3 stars A surprising single released by Yes in 1972. A cover of a great Simon and Garfunkel tune which I think outdoes the original. As you can tell by the organ sounds, this is a Rick Wakeman number. I did not first here this until I obtained a copy of YESTERDAYS and it was a big suprise to me how much I e ... (read more)

Report this review (#733609) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, April 20, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "America"