YELLOW HEDGEROW DREAMSCAPE

Side A: (20:19)
1. Mute (8:05)
2. Landscare (2:58)
3. Prayer (1:38)
4. Daughters In Excess (6:34)
5. Delightful Suicide (1:04)

Side B: (17:45)
1. Split Image (1:52)
2. No Reason To Live, No Reason To Die (11:07)
3. Wastecoat (1:11)
4. Towel (3:35)

Side C: (17:15)
1. Execution Of The Will Of The Marquis De Sade (5:07)
2. Track 11 (2:59)
3. Radioactive Toy (5:57)
4. An Empty Box (3:12)

Side D: (22:07)
1. The Cross/Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape (20:44)
2. Music For The Head (1:23)

Search PORCUPINE TREE Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape lyrics

Search PORCUPINE TREE Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape tabs

Steven Wilson / guitar, vocals, keyboards, programming

2LP Magic Gnome MG 4299325 (1994)
2LP Gates Of Dawn GOD005 (2000 USA)

Magic Gnome (1994) release was pressed on limited edition yellow vinyl with 1,000 copies and a small edition of 150 copies on black vinyl.
Gates Of Dawn (2000) release consists of 16 songs whereas 'The Cross' is substituted by the song 'Out' and separated.

CD Headphone Dust HDPTCD23 (2013, UK, does not contain the track "The Cross")

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

PORCUPINE TREE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PORCUPINE TREE Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape Music

KSCOPE 2012
No release results - showing artist results instead
LP on the sunday of life ~ USD $31.43
LP up the downstair ~ USD $31.43

More places to buy PORCUPINE TREE music online Buy PORCUPINE TREE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PORCUPINE TREE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PORCUPINE TREE Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape ratings distribution

PORCUPINE TREE Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape reviews

Review by Fishy
1 stars Please do not waste your money on this one. I know the record is no longer in print and believe me there's a reason why. It's just a collection of early demos of the period prior to the release of "on the sunday of life". The soundquality is really bad. I heard some people are willing to pay a lot of money for this album. It's obvious they haven't heard it. Try any other Porcupine Tree album and you'll be better off. For fans only

Send comments to Fishy (BETA) | Report this review (#9471) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 12, 2004

Review by Tristan Mulders
3 stars Porcupine Tree - Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape

I agree with most reviewers that this is a collection of (ambient) musical experiments and that therefore this is a substandard release when compared to the more familiar studio recordings by this British band. However, perhaps because of my liking of the sound of the older Porcupine Tree albums, I can enjoy this album too much to simply pass it of as being of horrid quality.

"Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape" is a collection of songs taken from the "On the Sunday of Life" era, but were regarded as not good enough to be allowed to appear on that debut album. The majority of these songs are ambient structures, borderline psychedelic music. These 'songs' are what seems to put most of the people off when it comes to this release. I, however, see this album as an ambient trip and it works surprisingly well as background music while reading a novel! So I've discovered.

There are however a few songs included amongst all these soundscapes. I have to admit that some are a bit tedious, but a few of these are actually really quite good. Opening track Mute has some good keyboards and decent guitar playing, yet the voice over ruins the mid section of the song (the music is muted a bit -how ironic?! - so we can hear mister Wilson's babbling more clearly. Too bad this "narration" ruins the built-up of the first part of the song.

No Reason to live, no Reason to die is a song alike It will rain for a Million Years which was the closing track of the "On the Sunday of Life" album. I can imagine this song being left off, because of its likeness in 'feeling'. Yet, it still is a rather excellent song! With its length of approximately eleven minutes it is the album's second longest track, and my personal favourite as well. I really like the improvised playing of both guitar and keys on this one. Very spacey and ambient as well, though this one show structure in its composition. Too bad it wasn't given a second chance.

The title track is also worth mentioning, though compared to the reworked and remastered version that ended up as a track on the "Staircase Infinities" EP (later included as a bonus disc to the re-release of the "Up the Downstair" album) it is of far lesser quality. This could be down to a decent job mastering and editing the song though, for many elements are identical. The extended introduction of this version adds something though (the narration in which instruments are introduced).

The other songs are a shortened version of Radioactive Toy, which is amusing as always, though lesser psyched-out; The Execution of the Will of the Marquis de Sade, which has a great rhythm section, but the "Hockey Pockey something" soundsample bit should immediately be deleted from the song! There are a few more tracks along these lines included, though they're not overly too special to mention.

I can imagine that as a whole this will probably never be reissued, yet there are several good works included here. A song like No Reason to live. is in my opinion better than some of the stuff included with the final debut album! Overal, a nice collection of early Porcupine Tree recordings, but I as a fan would not even consider paying the insane amounts of money for which this release sells on E-bay!

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#133189) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Review by evenless
2 stars YHD : For hardcore collectors only!

Porcupine Tree started out as an imaginary band from the seventies created by Steven Wilson and his friend Malcolm Stocks. To back up the story they made up non-existent band members and an absurd discography. To back up the story behind the band Steven made a homemade Music Cassette called "Tarquin's Seeweed Farm" and sent out some copies to people who might be interested. One copy was sent to Underground UK Magazine Freakbeat, run by Richard Allen and Ivor Trueman who were in the process of setting up their own record company. This company would be DELERIUM, the label where it all started for Porcupine Tree.

When signed to the label Richard Allen suggested to release PT's first two MC's "Tarquin's Seaweed Farm" and "The Nostalgia Factory" on CD. Steven Wilson decided otherwise. He preferred to put the superior tracks on the CD "On The Sunday Of Life" and the inferior tracks on the limited CD "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape". A limited edition would probably fit him best, because he wasn't particularly proud of the YHD material. This is exactly the reason why SW prefers this CD not to be re-issued again. The YHD made an incarnation on vinyl and that has probably been the last of it. A shame? For collectors probably yes, because prices of the CD have gone up to incredible high amounts on auction sites. For people who really are interested in PT's better work the answer would be no. They can probably miss the material on YHD like a toothache.

So what's my opinion of this album? Actually I consider myself a PT collector, but not in the widest sense of the word. Yes, I really would like to have all the CD's, singles and Promo's that PT has ever issued. Then again, I was happy to pay around 80 GBP for an original XM and around 50 GBP for Recordings. But this was, and still is, essential PT music! YHD simply is not, at least, not to me. So after having had this album in my possession for just a couple of weeks I have decided to sell it off again on the Internet. If interested have a look on eBay quickly :-)

Send comments to evenless (BETA) | Report this review (#135289) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well, if you compare this issue with 'normal' album of Porcupine Tree, you will find regret with this record because this one is totally exploratory in nature, full of sound experiments as well as sound effects. I find myself enjoyable listening this record when my musical mood is under 'wild' emotion where I can forget the concept of song melody in music. The music offered here captures the stream of music in jam session kind of stuff, so you should clear away your expectation of listening a collection of songs. Once you do that and try to enjoy whatever comes into your ears, no need to analyze or syntethize it, you might be OK with this ....

For me personally, I try to capture the subtleties of sounds being produced by this record. 'No Reason To Live, No Reason To Die' (11:07) is a good example where I can enjoy the offering here.

Yes, this is suitable for collectors only.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#223450) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 27, 2009

Review by Warthur
2 stars Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is a compilation of those tracks from Porcupine Tree's early cassette releases which didn't make it onto their debut album, On the Sunday of Life. The sound quality of the album is reasonable but, to my ears, not quite up to the standards of its sister album, and it seems the tracks on Dreamscape haven't had the same sort of remastering and reworking treatment that the picks on Sunday of Life had.

I suppose the kindest thing I can say about the collection is that it proves Steve Wilson is a good critic of his own work - because it is very obvious that the songs chosen for On the Sunday of Life were, in fact, the best material from the cassette albums. The meandering jams and aimless soundscapes on Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscapes - occasionally coalescing into songs - are in the same psychedelic/space rock style as On the Sunday of Life, but the ideas present are not quite as polished, original or interesting.

I was only able to acquire an affordable copy of this album by searching high and low and being extremely patient; at the end of the day, I felt it was a wasted effort. It isn't terrible, but it pales in comparison to On the Sunday of Life and on the whole I can understand why it's been allowed to remain thoroughly out of print.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#603070) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 04, 2012

3 stars Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is the first compilation album from Porcupine Tree and was first released in 1994 in a limited 2500 copies. It was later released on vinyl in 2000 and 2005. Here i am reviewing the 1994 CD version and the sound quality is good. I have read that some people have he ... (read more)

Report this review (#288343) | Posted by Chris M | Saturday, June 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I am not sure why the reviews for this are so low. I adore this release! It is a disjointed, yet cohesive, trippy wonder that hearkens back to the free form days of OTSOL and TSMS. I love this slice of post-60's psychedelia! It speaks to me from some far off planet, whispering the promises of wh ... (read more)

Report this review (#277704) | Posted by pagan97 | Monday, April 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Having finally managed to get a hold of this, I realise that Steven Wilson (SW) was absolutely right in taking these tracks off to make On the Sunday of Life... On the Sunday to me is a superb re-birth of psychedelia and Space Rock - and I love the story behind it all (the make-believe band and ... (read more)

Report this review (#173924) | Posted by PinkPangolin | Saturday, June 14, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Well as some have pointed out, this is not the best place to start listening to Porcupine Tree, this one is a rarity and it will remain this way since there's absolutely no interest in releasing it again, due to the lack of quality, as Steven Wilson has pointed out these records will not be released ... (read more)

Report this review (#9472) | Posted by | Monday, April 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PORCUPINE TREE "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape"