ELEGANT... AND DYING

Experimental/Post Metal

Virgin Black Elegant... and Dying album cover

Buy VIRGIN BLACK Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Adorned In Ashes (6:18)
2. Velvet Tongue (8:03)
3. And The Kiss Of God's Mouth (Part 1) (1:26)
4. And The Kiss Of God's Mouth (Part 2) (6:19)
5. Renaissance (7:02)
6. The Everlasting (17:13)
7. Cult Of Crucifixion (9:03)
8. Beloved (7:27)
9. Our Wings Are Burning (8:26)

Search VIRGIN BLACK Elegant... and Dying lyrics

Guests:
- Sonia Wilkie / flute
- Brad Bessel, Stephanie Bessel. Terella Rosen, Camren Harm / choir vocals

The End Records, TE037

Thanks to avestin for the addition

VIRGIN BLACK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VIRGIN BLACK Elegant... and Dying Music

Sombre RomanticSombre Romantic
The End Records 2002
Requiem: FortissimoRequiem: Fortissimo
The End Records 2008
KAT'EIKONA Greek CHRISTian Goth+ Saviour Machine Virgin Black Awakening Amos DAS US $25.77 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Virgin Black-Requiem Fortissimo CD (Brand New-Sealed)* US $13.99 Buy It Now 22h 59m
Requiem: Mezzo Forte by Virgin Black (CD, Apr-2007, The End) SEALED BRAND NEW US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CHRISTian Gothic GreekBand KAT'EIKONA ala Saviour Machine Virgin Black Awakening US $24.77 Buy It Now 1 day
PARAMAECIUM Exhumed Of The Earth CD '94 R.E.X. MUSIC My Dying Bride Virgin Black US $69.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Virgin Black - Requiem: Mezzo Forte (CD, Oct-2007, Locomotive Records (USA)) US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BENT SHAPES**FEELS WEIRD (VIRGIN BLACK VINYL EDITION/DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $22.95 Buy It Now 3 days
BODY PARTS**FIRE DREAM (VIRGIN BLACK VINYL EDITION/WITH DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $22.50 Buy It Now 3 days
COCKTAILS**COCKTAILS (7 INCH/LIMITED/VIRGIN BLACK/DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $10.65 Buy It Now 3 days
VIRGIN BLACK - ELEGANT AND DYING [4028466103895] - NEW CD US $12.43 Buy It Now 3 days
VIRGIN BLACK - ELEGANT AND DYING [654436003724] - NEW CD US $11.27 Buy It Now 4 days
At the End of Infinity: Various Artists CD) AGGALOCH ARCTURUS WINDS VIRGIN BLACK US $7.99 [0 bids]
Virgin Black - Requiem-Fortissimo CD US $14.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Virgin Black - Requiem-Mezzo Forte CD US $14.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz Cassette, Mar-1993, Virgin BLACK GIRL US $1.25 Buy It Now 5 days
VIRGIN BLACK - Elegant... And Dying - Christian Music CCM Rock Metal CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Elegant and Dying by Virgin Black (CD, Sep-2003, Massacre Records) US $13.90 Buy It Now 5 days
VIRGIN BLACK "Elegant and Dying" CD (2003, The End Records) -- NEW, SEALED US $8.49 [0 bids]
Virgin Black-Requiem-Mezzo Forte(promo cd)My Dying Bride Moonspell US $0.99 [0 bids]
VIRGIN BLACK - SOMBRE ROMANTIC [654436002321] - NEW CD US $10.51 Buy It Now 6 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: MEZZO FORTE [654436008125] - NEW CD US $7.98 Buy It Now 7 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: FORTISSIMO NEW CD US $17.32 Buy It Now 7 days
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom ( Lp - Virgin Black White - Psych - 1974 ) US $25.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Virgin Black - Elegant...and Dying NEW CD US $13.39 Buy It Now 8 days
Virgin Black - Requiem-Fortissimo [CD New] US $11.27 Buy It Now 8 days
VIRGIN BLACK - SOMBRE ROMANTIC NEW CD US $17.32 Buy It Now 9 days
XTC White Music UK vinyl LP + Virgin black inner 1978 ex+/ex+ US $24.88 Buy It Now 9 days
Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic [CD New] US $10.43 Buy It Now 10 days
VIRGIN BLACK - Requiem: Fortissimo CD - THE END 2008 - New and sealed US $9.90 Buy It Now 11 days
VIRGIN BLACK - SOMBRE ROMANTIC - MASSCD290 US $16.65 Buy It Now 13 days
VIRGIN BLACK - ELEGANT...AND DYING - MASSCD389 US $16.65 Buy It Now 13 days
Virgin Black-Requiem-Mezzo Forte (2CD Set-Autographed)* US $24.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic (2002) - Used - Compact Disc US $3.38 Buy It Now 14 days
Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte (2007) - Used - Compact Disc US $5.95 Buy It Now 14 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: MEZZO FORTE (UK) (UK) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $33.71 Buy It Now 14 days
NARROW HOUSE 2014 Thanathonaut CD Dark Doom Virgin Black US $13.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte [CD New] US $27.98 Buy It Now 15 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: MEZZO FORTE NEW CD US $17.32 Buy It Now 15 days
Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte CD US $27.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Sombre Romantic by Virgin Black (CD, Feb-2002, The End) US $7.49 Buy It Now 16 days
Requiem: Fortissimo * by Virgin Black (CD, Feb-2008, The End) US $8.32 Buy It Now 16 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: FORTISSIMO * - NEW CD US $8.32 Buy It Now 16 days
VIRGIN BLACK-ELEGANT...AND DYING NEW & SEALED US $8.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic CD US $14.94 Buy It Now 16 days
Virgin Black - Requiem-Mezzo Forte [CD New] US $9.98 Buy It Now 17 days
Wedding Party-Anthems CD Saviour Machine/Virgin Black Goth Metal Brand NewSealed US $22.95 Buy It Now 17 days
Virgin Black Elegant And Dying CD new US $14.99 Buy It Now 19 days
VIRGIN BLACK-REQUIEM: FORTISSIMO CD NEW US $14.37 Buy It Now 21 days
VIRGIN BLACK - SOMBRE ROMANTIC [4028466102904] - NEW CD US $14.10 Buy It Now 22 days
SOMBRE ROMANTIC BY VIRGIN BLACK (CD) US $17.60 Buy It Now 23 days
VIRGIN BLACK-REQUIEM-MEZZO FORTE-CD-novembre-gothic US $9.99 Buy It Now 23 days
MY DYING BRIDE ( Screen Printed BACK PATCH ) EVOKEN VIRGIN BLACK KATATONIA US $12.99 Buy It Now 24 days
VIRGIN BLACK-REQUIEM: MEZZO FORTE CD NEW US $14.37 Buy It Now 25 days
Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte (Music CD) US $27.27 Buy It Now 26 days
Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic (Music CD) US $21.11 Buy It Now 26 days
Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte [Digipak] US $28.17 Buy It Now 26 days
SAVIOUR MACHINE-S/T CD CHRISTian Gothic Metal Deliverance Virgin Black Awakening US $37.77 Buy It Now 29 days
Virgin Black,SEALED CD,Requiem: Mezzo Forte US $9.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy VIRGIN BLACK music online Buy VIRGIN BLACK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VIRGIN BLACK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VIRGIN BLACK Elegant... and Dying ratings distribution

VIRGIN BLACK Elegant... and Dying reviews

Review by avestin
4 stars It's autumn 2004. Late at night while everyone is asleep I am still awake. Thoughts keep filling my head; worry and distress keep me up. So I decide to put a record on; one that would fit my current mood and perhaps alleviate some of the pain. Some people would put on uplifting music, an album they know and that always puts a smile on their face.

Not being my way, I put on an album that is as dark as was my (then) current state of mind. Elegant? And Dying, the second full-length album by the Australian doom/gothic metal band Virgin Black fits perfectly. The music resonates with grief and agony. The intensity of angst and heartache is overwhelming here. The saw-like riffs of the guitar cut through the silence of the night. The tormented voice of Rowan London, the main writer along with guitarist and cellist, Samantha Escarbe, is a guiding light amidst the sea of pain oozing from their music. Going from low to higher pitches, from soft singing to anguish filled tones to angry and frustrated cries, he thus achieves a wide range of sentiments and sensations (though mostly of the dark and melancholic kind). His voice personifies the entire emotions the music creates and that the lyrics tell about. Words about love and religion, loss and desertion, suffering and desire, despair and betrayal; but most of all, hope. Yes, it seems odd, but hope is in here, quite revealed in the text; the yearning to amend things, to improve life, aspiring for a change, the need to make things better.

You should not expect songs, not a usual path of music writing but a depiction of a human state of mind, a mind in extreme conditions, on the edge of sanity, the brink of collapse. And yet the music is beautiful, despite whatever mood it reflects and regardless of how odd it may sound at times, as the band is not timid of going into unconventional musical landscapes. Yes the music takes the form of doom and gothic metal, but the outcome is beyond that, for me. It is the emotional connection perhaps, but to my ears (or more exactly, brain) the end product here is has high impact with its beauty, intensity, intricacy and emotional characteristic. There is variety here, though it may elude some. A mellow and quiet approach, say with keyboards or piano alongside the choir is substituted for an abrupt aggressive sounding guitar lead segment and intense (mostly slow) drumming. Velvet Tongue is a fine example for their shifting directions and emotional surges. Their more "experimental" and out-there moments are also fascinating. As an example, the long song, The Everlasting, is an eerie and peculiar piece, very spooky when listened to late at night in the dark and very appropriate as well. It could fit very well in old black and white mystery or horror movies. There is a tremendous sense of gloom and despair but of power as well that emanates from the music here. The song goes from an abstract form to more a constructed sense and follows with the full band joining in full force later on in a brutal (in Virgin Black standards) aural assault and driving guitar riff and drumming. In fact this is the best song to hear what drummer Dino Cielo is capable of. It is also a fine example of how much anger lurks in the core of their music, in the back of their minds. This is an outcome of frustration, of being suffocated emotionally and spiritually. All the buried anger bursts out explosively, and the music here depicts it beautifully.

The songs are mostly linked or at least flowing naturally from one to the other and this way form, as I hear it, an uninterrupted course that makes this album one long piece that is divided into several sections. Not that it's impossible to listen to individual songs, but I prefer mostly to listen to it in its entirety and don't pay too much attention to what song I listen to at a particular moment.

This is an album for those who ache but want a way out, a way to relieve themselves from pain; an album for those who would like to hear a different take on doom metal, an exploratory form that puts high emphasis on the emotional side of composing. A perfect companion in late winter nights, with a hot beverage in hand.

Send comments to avestin (BETA) | Report this review (#253453) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 29, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Virgin Black's second album is a 75 minute opus that should suppress any remaining doubts that they mean business. Big epic melodramatic business.

The result is still very satisfying but it's become a less versatile album then the debut. It is quieter and more coherent but only seems to explore its dramatic Goth potential. The metal and progressive sides of the music have become less prominent. As it turned out, alternating metal-styled albums with more laid-back material turned out to be something of a career choice for Virgin Black, quite similar to the US Goth metallists of Christian Death, who must have been an obvious point of inspiration.

There are great pieces of music where looming doom-riffs and spacey blues guitar leads provide memorable moments as on The Kiss of God's Mouth and Cult of Crucifixion. But with only one mood to sustain for 75 minutes, the album is too long. The operatic 20 minute musical drama of Everlasting goes entirely over all bombastic peaks reached by other Goth bands before them. Quite an achievement that is. I'm not too impressed by the music but still it's more attractive then Hammill's House of Usher for example. At least here it sounds really spooky and chilling.

Virgin Black is a great band with more talent then 20 random Goth bands put together. Their inclusion of operatic metal and ambitious drama might sure make them an interesting listen if you're attracted to the idea of progressive Goth rock. To be checked by lovers of Therion, My Dying Bride Type O Negative and Hammill's House of Usher. (That might be an eclectic bunch of people actually) 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#279779) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2010

4 stars 4.5 stars. It was Avestin's personal review of this album about a year and a half ago that moved me to purchase this record. Assaf has recommended so many bands and albums to me over the years that i've lost track. Yes this is dark and melancholic but it has lots of life to it as well with those distorted guitars and heavy outbreaks all of which reminded me of IN THE WOODS... more than any other band. I really do enjoy this style of music once in a while, I think it's that emotion that cries out of the darkness that moves me. I think anyone who's been on this planet as long as I have knows pain, and I know it very personally.

"Adorned In Ashes" is dark with these choir-like sounds and a beat. Cello and atmosphere follow.The vocals and style here remind me of DEAD CAN DANCE but I can honestly say that this was the only time I thought of them. Piano and a calm late. "Velvet Tongue" has these almost spoken words as a heavy beat joins in. More passionate vocals before 2 1/2 minutes with mournful guitar riffs.The tempo then picks up and he's almost screaming the words at one point. It settles again as contrasts continue. "And The Kiss Of God's Mouth Part 1" is slow moving with keys then some emotional guitar joins in. Whispered words late as it blends into "And The Kiss Of God's Mouth Part 2". It kicks in fairly heavily before calming right down with piano and reserved vocals.The guitar replaces the vocals as it turns more powerful. It kicks in even more before 3 minutes and later at 4 minutes. Love this !

"Renaissance" sounds amazing ! Heavy chanting and riffs to start. It calms down with fragile vocals before 2 minutes.The chanting is back after 4 1/2 minutes and it gets heavier when they stop. "The Everlasting" is the over 17 minute epic. Piano as vocal expressions join in. Atmosphere rules 1 1/2 minutes in as vocal sounds come and go. It's fuller with vocals 4 minutes in. It calm down with piano only before 7 minutes then a beat joins in. It kicks back in before 10 1/2 minutes. Nice.Vocals are back 13 1/2 minutes and he's screaming 15 minutes in, then this beautiful calm takes over and waves of sound ends it. "Cult Of Crucifixion" opens with percussion and angelic sounds. Piano joins in. Guitar and a heavy sound kicks in at 1 1/2 mintes. Vocals before 3 minutes as it settles. It kicks back in a minute later and the vocals are emotional before we get another calm. It's heavy again before 6 minutes then it picks up. "Beloved" is mellow then it kicks in.The vocals cry out. Mournful guitar 5 1/2 minutes in and it's building a minute later. Nice. Growly vocals late are AGALLOCH-like. "Our Wings Are Burning" opens with piano and percussion standing out. Reserved vocals join in. Strummed guitar follows then we get heavy guitars before 3 1/2 minutes. Passionate vocals a minute later. My God ! It settles back again and the guitar solos tastefully.

This might become a five star album for me. It's long at 74 minutes so there's lots to digest but man I love this album.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#443704) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 06, 2011

Post a review of VIRGIN BLACK "Elegant... and Dying"