HOW THE WORLD CAME TO AN END

Buy MANES Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Deeprooted (4:46)
2. Come to Pass (6:14)
3. I Watch You Fall (3:50)
4. A Cancer in our Midst (Plague One) (3:08)
5. Last Lights (4:16)
6. Nobody Wants the Truth (4:44)
7. My Journal of the Plague Years (Fuckmensch Warmensch) (3:21)
8. The Cure-All (4:19)
9. Transmigrant (6:07)
10. Son of Night Brother of Sleep (3:52)

Search MANES How The World Came to an End lyrics

Search MANES How The World Came to an End tabs

- Asgeir Hatlen / vocals
- Eivind Fjoseide / guitar
- Rune Hoemsnes / drums
- Tommy Sebastian Halseth / vocals
- Tor-Helge Skei (a.k.a. Cernunus) / guitar, synthesizer, programming
- Torstein Parelius / bass

CD Candlelight Records (7th of May, 2007)

Thanks to Guest for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MANES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANES How The World Came to an End Music

How the World Came to an EndHow the World Came to an End
Candlelight 2007
AENAON - EXTANCE, tape-LP lmt to 100 copies! (ARCURUS, MANES) US $6.99 [0 bids]
33m 47s
ARCTURUS - "Constellation" cd (MAYHEM, MANES, BORKNAGAR) cd Kyrck re-release! US $11.31 [0 bids]
Manes - How The World Came To An End [CD New] US $10.76 Buy It Now 6h 15m
MANES - TEETH TOES AND OTHER TRINKETS - DMP0103 US $20.03 Buy It Now 7h 27m
MANES Pro-Gnosis Diabolis 1993 Solve Et Coagula RED BLACK LP ved buens ende mare US $26.99 [0 bids]
MANES Pro-Gnosis Diabolis 1993 Solve Et Coagula BLACK LP ved buens ende mare kat US $26.99 [0 bids]
MANES 1993 1994 1stPRESS LP satyricon emperor mayhem dodheimsgard enslaved mare US $19.99 [0 bids]
Manes - How the World Came to an End CD 2007 experimental slipcase US $8.95 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane [CD New] US $16.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Manes - How The World Came To An End CD US $13.40 Buy It Now 1 day
MANES - UNDER EIN BLODRAUD MAANE [892048002975] - NEW CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Manes Maanens Natt HHR.utw.002 Unveiling the Wicked 1998 Demo US $30.00 [0 bids]
MANES - HOW THE WORLD CAME TO AN END NEW CD US $14.86 Buy It Now 1 day
ULVER "Shadows of the Sun" CD manes enslaved US $18.03 Buy It Now 2 days
MANES "How the World Came to End" CD ulver thorns US $16.39 Buy It Now 2 days
ANGST SKVADRON / SO MUCH FOR NOTHING "Split" 7" urgehal manes US $11.47 Buy It Now 2 days
FLEURETY "Evoco Bestias" 7" virus dodheimsgard arcturus manes US $11.47 Buy It Now 2 days
MANES "Vilosophe" LP thorns ulver strid US $22.13 Buy It Now 2 days
VIRUS "The Black Flux" LP ved buens ende arcturus manes US $32.78 Buy It Now 2 days
MANES "Under Ein Blodraud Maane" CD thorns kvist ulver US $18.85 Buy It Now 2 days
PAGAN "Monument of Depression" CD xasthur nortt manes US $16.39 Buy It Now 2 days
STRIBORG "Trepidation" CD manes mutiilation mortifera US $15.57 Buy It Now 2 days
MARERITT "Hymner Til Doden.." CD manes forest US $15.57 Buy It Now 2 days
ANGST SKVADRON "Valium Holocaust" 10" MLP urgehal virus manes US $16.39 Buy It Now 2 days
ANCIENT "Det Glemte Riket" CD carpathian forest taake manes US $16.39 Buy It Now 2 days
FESTER "Silence" LP manes taake strid US $22.13 Buy It Now 2 days
ISVIND "Dark Waters Stir" CD ulver manes strid US $21.31 Buy It Now 2 days
WINDS "Prominence and Demise" CD mayhem arcturus manes US $18.03 Buy It Now 2 days
ISVIND "Daumyra" CD taake manes kampfar US $20.49 Buy It Now 2 days
MANES "Under Ein Blodraud Maane" LP thorns kvist ulver US $25.40 Buy It Now 2 days
MANES - UNDER EIN BLODRAUD MAANE NEW CD US $21.87 Buy It Now 2 days
How the World Came to An End - Manes New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $16.67 Buy It Now 3 days
MANES How The World Came To An End CD sinister electronica Ulver dodheimsgard US $11.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Roberto Manes : Fihavanana CD (2003) US $2.47 Buy It Now 4 days
grievance - s/t, mork gryning dissection nargaroth emperor manes leviathan mgla US $5.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
sroszek - the wild hunt, mini cd, frostmoon eclipse agalloch ulver fen manes US $5.99 [0 bids]
Manes ?- Under Ein Blodraud Maane US $29.00 Buy It Now 4 days
gonfanon - call to arms, satanic warmaster shining manes darkspace nocternity US $5.99 [0 bids]
Manes ?- Ned I Stillheten US $29.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Manes ?- Maanens Natt US $29.00 Buy It Now 4 days
pofundis tenebrarum - pathogenesis, leviathan nehemah darkspace manes xasthur US $5.99 [0 bids]
grievance - the phantom novels, dissection nargaroth manes leviathan darkspace US $5.99 [0 bids]
netra - melancolie urbaine, manes coldworld ulver tulus shining darkspace alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
sanctus daemoneon - the unaVOIDable, manes ulver fen arcturus tulus darkspace US $5.99 [0 bids]
kalki avatara - mantra for the end of times , manes ulver arcturus melechesh fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
oblomov - communitas, masters hammer nokturnal mortum deathspell o US $5.99 [0 bids]
arbor ira - meine traume vergangene, deathspell omega leviathan manes nehemah US $5.99 [0 bids]
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane CD 2012 reissue black metal Hammerheart US $14.95 Buy It Now 4 days
palace of worms - the forgotten, seth deathspell omega darkspace manes shining US $5.99 [0 bids]
iugulatus - call of the horned god, deathspell omega fen darkspace manes shining US $5.99 [0 bids]
myrkvids draumar - we are war, silencer marduk shining nargaroth archgoat manes US $5.99 [0 bids]
ARMONIKA " SMYRNEIKOS MANES "RARE ORIGINAL GREEK USA PRE - II WAR REBETIKO 78" US $24.99 [0 bids]
Manes - Teeth, Toes And Other Trinkets NEW CD Digi US $20.01 Buy It Now 5 days
ROBERTO MANES**PHOENICIAN DREAM**CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 5 days
CHTON chtonian lifecode ORIG CD manes frost US $5.00 [0 bids]
VED BUENS ENDE Written In Waters CD ulver virus fleurety avant-black metal manes US $13.98 Buy It Now 5 days
Under Ein Blodraud Maane [Analog] Manes LP Record US $56.62 Buy It Now 5 days
MANES Under Ein Blodraud Maane (RARE ORG 1st Press Hammerheart Records) Xasthur US $79.99 Buy It Now 6 days
DODHEIMSGARD 666 International CD 99 EX Moonfog thorns aborym abigor manes code US $49.00 Buy It Now 6 days
VED BUENS ENDE Those Who Caress the Pale CD 2007 Kyrck virus fleurety code manes US $66.00 Buy It Now 6 days
ULVER Nattens Madrigal...CD 1997 Century Black agalloch borknagar empyrium manes US $49.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane CD US $18.53 Buy It Now 7 days
Manes - Teeth Toes And Other Trinkets (2014) - Used - Compact Disc US $10.63 Buy It Now 7 days
MANES UNDER EIN BLODRAUD MAANE 1TH ORG PRESS RARE HAMMERHEART BURZUM DARKTHRONE US $69.90 Buy It Now 8 days
MANES NED I STILLHETEN 1TH ORG PRESS RARE DEMO LIMITED 1000 BURZUM DARKTHRONE US $69.90 Buy It Now 8 days
MANES MAANENS NATT 1TH ORG PRESS RARE DEMO LIMITED 1000 BURZUM DARKTHRONE TAAKE US $69.90 Buy It Now 8 days
KLUDDE / WANHOOP Split CD thorns manes emperor black metal US $6.00 Buy It Now 8 days
MANES - VILOSOPHE - NEW CD US $12.79 Buy It Now 8 days
Manes - Teeth, Toes and Other Trinkets CD 2014 digi experimental Norway US $17.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Lethe - When Dreams Become Nightmares CD 2014 experimental Manes Eluveitie US $16.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Xasthur 'To Violate The Oblivious' w/bonus.Leviathan,Manes,Mutiilation,Shining US $3.59 [1 bids]
MANES How The World Came To An End CD Dodheimsgard Ulver Ved Buens Ende US $12.99 Buy It Now 9 days
MANES - How the World Came to an End CD US $4.80 Buy It Now 9 days
Teeth Toes And Other Trinkets - Manes US $12.80 Buy It Now 9 days
ISHTAR DIABOLICAL HYMNS 1999 UNVEILING THE WICKED MANES DIM NAGEL KVIST PERISHED US $39.99 Buy It Now 10 days
HAIKU FUNERAL If God Is A Drug CD blackened jazz/prog univers zero MZ412 Manes US $11.98 Buy It Now 10 days
TENOCHTITLAN Tezcatl CD Aztec-influenced avant-psych-doom ala raxa manes aarni US $9.98 Buy It Now 11 days
SATARIAL Heidenlarm CD avant-garde Russian black metal a la Arcturus Sigh Manes US $6.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Teeth Toes and Other Trinkets - Manes New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $22.24 Buy It Now 13 days
FILTHY CHARITY-MANES THE CELPHARES-cd-1997-gind/death US $9.89 Buy It Now 13 days
Vilosophe - Manes New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $22.23 Buy It Now 13 days
DR. Z: Three Parts To My Soul (spiritus, Manes Et Umbra) LP (South Korea, '94 r US $75.00 Buy It Now 14 days
MANES How The World Came To An End (CD 2007) factory sealed slipcase Avantgarde US $14.99 Buy It Now 14 days
MANES Pro-Gnosis Diabolis 1993 Solve Et Coagula RED BLACK LP ved buens ende mare US $59.99 Buy It Now 14 days
MANES Pro-Gnosis Diabolis 1993 Solve Et Coagula BLACK LP ved buens ende mare kat US $59.99 Buy It Now 14 days
ULVER Wars Of The Roses LP IMPORT dark jazzy prog/pop arcturus manes Hexvessel US $24.98 Buy It Now 14 days
morbid logo t shirt death black metal mayhem beherit blasphemy burzum manes US $18.00 Buy It Now 14 days
morbid logo t shirt death black metal mayhem beherit blasphemy burzum manes US $24.00 Buy It Now 14 days
manes logo t shirt death black metal mayhem beherit blasphemy burzum slayer US $18.00 Buy It Now 14 days
manes logo t shirt death black metal mayhem beherit blasphemy burzum slayer US $24.00 Buy It Now 14 days
MANES - TEETH, TOES AND OTHER TRINKETS - NEW CD US $10.70 Buy It Now 15 days
ULVER Wars Of The Roses CD DIGIBOOK dark jazzy prog/pop arcturus manes Hexvessel US $14.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Manes-Manes - Vilosophe CD NEW US $15.80 Buy It Now 16 days

More places to buy MANES music online Buy MANES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANES How The World Came to an End ratings distribution

MANES How The World Came to an End reviews

Review by Tristan Mulders
4 stars Manes - How the World came to an End

I was not aware that Manes released a follow-up to their 2003 album "Vilosophe" until earlier last week. It was sheer coincidence that I noticed the bandname on the cover of an album in one of the local HMV stores in Birmingham. Seeing that it was not too expensive (£10.-) and I had positive experiences with the band from their last album, I thought I'd give the album a go... but then I discovered that I couldn't preview the album, because it was that recently released that it was not yet in the shop's audio system... I took my chances, bought it.. and when I got home played the album for the very first time...

And I was blown away!

They managed to surpass themselves with this new effort. The three years of absence between "Vilosophe" and this new album "How the World came to and End" were definitely worthwhile! As a band these musicians seem to have progressed even further than their already interesting bland of metal and electronica, on this new effort the metal is less present (as in: less riffs), and there's more experimentation with sounds than on their previous album. Still, it all seems like a logical progression to these ears.

Deeprooted shows the band opening this album with a fast paced electronic rock song with great vocals. Yes, the label on the cover of the slipcase was indeed correct: 'A dark progressive mix of metal, triphop and electronica" or something along those lines.

And then something really unexpected happened, yes dear people, it is possible: hiphop in prog! Come to pass features a French hiphip artist and it works surprisingly well. As a matter of fact the guy seems to pop up on a few more tracks. That's one of the many experiments on this album, and they all seem to work for me and it's not just hiphop, there's loads of different electronica styles included on this album, from ambient to trip-/hiphop to hardcore and techno!! And yes, it's definitely progressive by nature!

Overall, the album is a bit less heavy than "Vilosophe" and the aspect seems to lie more upon building on soundscapes with lots of electronica elements, than to rock the listener out of his or her chair or whatever other type of furniture their sitting or lying upon...

That's maybe what makes this album so succesful: the many guest artists that feature on this album, especially on vocals. This makes the whole album one interesting trip to listen to. With a length of nearly 45 minutes, the album is easy to diggest, making it a comfortable experience to put the album on repeat. And you definitely want to put the album on repeat, I noticed that already. Because from the haunted electronic metal of opening track Deeprooted until the final tones of that very depressing closing track Son of Night, Brother of Sleep -which shares similarities with the closing track of the Vilosophe album in the fact that they both feature some sort of 'narration'- it feels like an eerie, yet exhilarating trip!

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#149439) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars "How the World Came to an End" is the 3rd full-length studio album by Norwegian experimental rock/metal act Manes. The album was released through Candlelight Records in May 2007. Manes started their career as a fully fledged black metal act and recorded three demos ("Maanens Natt (1993)", "Ned I Stillheten (1994)" and "Til Kongens Grav De Døde Vandrer (1995)") and one full-length studio album called "Under ein Blodraud Maane (1999)" in that style. Manes second full-length studio album "Vilosophe (2003)" was an entirely different beast though. Gone was the black metal style and in came a dark electronic/progressive rock/ metal style that I´m personally very fond of. An extremely well-crafted and intriguing album that one.

The music style on "How the World Came to an End" takes Manes newfound electronic rock/metal music in an even more electronic/ambient direction and the metal elements are almost gone from the music now. The vocals are predominantly in ordinary clean singing style but as a new thing in Manes musical universe there´s rap style vocals on the album too. These are performed in both French and in English. The concept is still pretty dark which should be no surprise given the title of the album. The production is excellent. Layers upon layers of sounds, vocals and synths. The closest reference are bands like OSI (the most ambient and mellow tracks) and especially Chroma Key but a band like Ulver also comes to mind.

"How the World Came to an End" is not really what I expected from Manes after the excellent "Vilosophe (2003)" but it is an intriguing album in it´s own right. I´m just not as thrilled about this album as I was about "Vilosophe (2003)". First of all the metal elements which were the link to their past are almost completely gone and then there´s the rap vocals which I have a hard time appreciating. The rap vocals fortunately only appear on occasion though and don´t ruin my listening experience completely. So upon conclusion I find "How the World Came to an End" to be an interesting album, but there are elements I could have done without. If you can appreciate the occasional rap type vocals and the general lack of metal riffs, you might enjoy this more than I do. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is still deserved though. No matter what I think about it, "How the World Came to an End" is still a quality release.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#224722) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 06, 2009

Review by memowakeman
2 stars Mmm?No, Thanks!

Thanks to a nice recommendation, I picked up the 2003 album by this Norwegian band, and "Vilosophe" easily became a favorite album of mine, one of my top 5 metal related albums ever, and despite I was skeptic with that recommendation I fortunately took it and nowadays I am really happy with it. The thing is that I said "oh what a great album, I should listen to another of theirs", and I did it, I searched for their latest record, released in 2007 and entitled "How the World came to an End", and my feelings were completely different from the ones I had with Vilosophe, now I can say I regret discovering this album.

The reasons will be stated later, but now I can tell you that the exquisite experimentation I found in Vilosophe, lacks in this record, here they wanted to produce different experiments, and in my opinion, they terribly failed. The album consists of ten tracks making a total time of 45 minutes. This time I will be brief with my descriptions, I thought about not reviewing track by track here, but that is not my style, so I'll give you only some thoughts. "Deprooted" opens with a funny electronic sound that reminds me of Nintendo, then it changes and adds female vocals, the music is heavy, could be described as electronic metal. "Come to Pass" has some storm sound and that electronic-metal combination prevails. But here we have a thing that ruins it all, the music becomes electronic-hip hop- metal, and believe me it is horrible, I assume the band wanted to cross boundaries, but this time they failed.

"I Watch You Fall" has a new vocal style, fortunately is not the hip hop one, this sounds better, with more passion. However, those horrible vocals return in the last part, and of course that does not help. "A Cancer in our Mist" returns to that heavy Manes sound, in moments it reminds me a bit of Vilosophe, so it is not bad at all.

"Last Lights" starts slow and gradually progresses, they keep experimenting in each of the songs, and the most evident example is in the vocals. "Nobody wants the Truth" is an addictive song that may attract the listener, it has some nice changes and good guitar work. Despite being a decent track, in moments I think this album lacks of direction, I don't really know what was the main idea and goal of the band when creating this album.

"My Journal of the Plague Years" has a darker sound, robotic vocals and dramatic music, the sound overall is strong, though there are some soft passages, this is a cool track, in spite of some voices. "The Cure-All" is a softer track, it eases you from the previous storm and it is good for a minute. But later, those hip hop vocals return, and again, destroys the music. Hope manes do not repeat this mistake in future releases.

"Transmigrant" starts with some people's noises which later disappear, then the structure begins to be build up. While the music could be calm, the vocals sound too loud, I know it was on purpose, one more of their experiments, but this time does not sound that bad, actually it gives more strength to the song. Finally "Son of Night Brother of Sleep" reminds me to the last song of Vilosophe, because there is a voice speaking as foreground, while the music as background.

Well, I was disappointed with this album, needless to say, while I highly recommend Vilosophe, I would not recommend How the World came to an End, at all. My final grade is two stars. However?

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#308936) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 08, 2010

4 stars The Norwegian metal scene of the 90's is one of the most interesting in rock history because of the total transformation of many black metal bands into quality avant garde/prog artists. Manes in such a band that chose the lonely path of artistic expression, obviously not caring about what their fa ... (read more)

Report this review (#283877) | Posted by Aldebaran_Well | Friday, May 28, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANES "How The World Came to an End"