GRINDSTONE

RIO/Avant-Prog

Shining Grindstone album cover

Buy SHINING Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster (5:40)
2. Winterreise (3:33)
3. Stalemate Longan Runner (4:15)
4. To Be Proud of Crystal Colors Is to Live Again (0:49)
5. Moonchild Mindgames (3:06)
6. The Red Room (2:16)
7. Asa Nisi Masa (1:52)
8. To Be Proud of Crystal Colors Is to Live Again (Continued) (1:09)
9. Psalm (7:20)
10. -... .- -.-. .... (2:07)
11. 1:4:9 (5:03)
12. Fight Dusk with Dawn (6:53)

Search SHINING Grindstone lyrics

Search SHINING Grindstone tabs

- Jørgen Munkeby / guitar, sax and various instruments
- Torstein Lofthus / drums and various instruments
- Andreas Schei / keyboards and various instruments
- Morten Strøm / bass and various instruments

Guest musicians:
- Kristoffer Myre Eng / church organ (9)
- Danny Young / gong (1,3,12)
- Ashild Skiri Refsdal / sporano (9,11)

CD Rune Grammofon RCD2060 (Norway) (2007)

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

SHINING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SHINING Grindstone Music

Single
VII: Fodd ForlorareVII: Fodd Forlorare
Live: BlackjazzLive: Blackjazz
Indie Recordings 2012
"MOJO" MAGAZINE CD - SUN IS SHINING feat TOOTS / HEPTONES / BURNING SPEAR etc US $4.78 Buy It Now 34m 53s
45 RECORD MANHATTANS- SHINING STAR US $0.99 [0 bids]
53m 27s
013 JAH LAMY & JAH VINY-THE LIGHT IS SHINING ON ME-LAMY'S RECORD- REGGAE 45 7" US $59.99 [1 bids]
Albion Band - Light Shining [CD New] US $20.01 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Duane Dee - My Shining Hour lp Capitol Records ST2931 EX US $6.39 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Den Saakaldte - Destinasjon Helvete PATCH Shining Gehenna Burzum Darkthrone US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Diana Ross - One Shining Moment & Hits - 2 cd Maxi Set w Exclusive Mixes-V.Rare US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Chaperones 45 SHINING STAR / MY SHADOW & ME ~ VG slight dish-dnap US $10.80 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Violent J - The Shining Og - Icp Insane Clown Posse Twiztid Rare Oop Juggalo US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Johnny Cash From Sea to Shining Sea Columbia 9447 US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
LONG JOHN BALDRY - WHEN THE SUN COMES SHINING THRU' 7" VINYL US $8.09 Buy It Now 3h 18m
FREDRO STARR & JILL SCOTT-SHINING THROUGH 2-VERSION U.S PROMO DJ CD C26 # US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
45 RECORD MANHATTANS: I'LL NEVER RUN AWAY FROM LOVE AGAIN, SHINING STAR US $2.23 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Shining - One One One CD 2013 digi Indie Recordings press experimental US $16.95 Buy It Now 3h 55m
BLOODLINE - Werewolf Training CD 1.p. SELBSTMORD / Shining Ondskapt Diabolicum US $44.00 Buy It Now 4h 43m
CAL TJADER: The Shining Sea (jazz vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 48m
BLACK DIAMONDS BAND When that Harvest Moon is shining 78 Zonophone 2090 US $21.06 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Richard Harris - A Tramp Shining, Stateside SSL-5019 Ex Condition Vinyl LP US $16.20 Buy It Now 6h 2m
INVISIBLE MAN - Shining Star - 12" US $15.55 Buy It Now 6h 22m
INXS - Shining star EX/EX US $3.71 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Johnny Cash LP "From Sea to shining Sea" Pre-Owned US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Paul Simon -Greatest Hits(Shining Like a National Guitar) CD album 19 tracks vgc US $6.47 [0 bids]
Ciao My Shining Star: Songs Of Mark Mulcahy 21tk promo CD Thom Yorke Mercury Rev US $8.09 [0 bids]
Loveland FT Rachel McFarlane Keep On Shining CD-Single (Eastern Bloc PWL 1994) US $1.00 [0 bids]
Johnny Cash From Sea To Shining Sea Vinyl CS9447 Stereo US $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Moto Sano 12" Single Wild On The Street/Come Shining/Complication Shakedown US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
APPLECRAFT Shining City On The Hill CD Ochre LOW 3.00 US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 28m
(DZ389) The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, The Sun Ain't Shining No More - 2008 DJ CD US $4.85 Buy It Now 8h
Double Dee Shining 12" Airplane! ARP 21098 2002 Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
DT8 Project The Sun Is Shining 12" Ultra UL 1214-6 2004 Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
12 Inch Loveland Rachel McFarlane Shining / Hope UK US $2.49 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Duane Dee My Shining Hour Before The Next Teardrop Falls LP Album Promo US $11.00 [0 bids]
The Shining : True Skies CD (2002) US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 55m
Shining Star Jerry Garcia 2 CD Grateful Dead Record 93 HDCD US $64.99 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Friends of Monkeys Shining Plain - Single CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 9h
Count Basie / Sammy Davis Jr. Our Shining Hour VERVE LP V 8605 NM US $4.99 [0 bids]
SAMMY DAVIS COUNT BASIE Our Shining Hour VERVE MONO Jazz LP QUINCY JONES US $7.99 [0 bids]
JOE PUMA & RED MITCHELL "SHINING HOUR" sealed Reservoir RSR 102 (1987) US $26.00 [0 bids]
SEALED Stefan Grossman Shining Shadows Shanachie 95002 US $12.00 Buy It Now 9h 54m
INXS "Shining Star" DJ PROMO USA CD Single 1991 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Ihsahn Eremita 2x12" Double LP Emperor Peccatum Enslaved Arcturus Ulver Shining US $22.00 [0 bids]
Unknown Artist Silverhawk Records: Vol. 1 Shining Like CD US $8.96 Buy It Now 10h 24m
UNITED SUNTEC ARTISTS "Suntec Is Shining" HARDSTYLE US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Shining Twins Cum Play With Us CD US $3.97 Buy It Now 10h 27m
GRAHAM GRACE Shining Knight LP Record SEALED 1986 RARE US $17.50 Buy It Now 10h 41m
INXS - Shining Star / Faith in Each Other Cassette Single BRAND NEW Rare US $1.00 [0 bids]
THE ASTEROIDS GALAXY TOUR "The Sun Ain't Shining No More" PROMO CD REMIXES US x5 US $6.00 Buy It Now 11h 33m
Forgotten Tomb: Springtime Depression, Shining, Gehenna, Glorior Belli, Behexen US $9.99 [0 bids]
RANDON HOLD "WALKING ON THE EDGE / SHINING SMILE" 45w/PS MINT SEALED US $6.75 Buy It Now 13h
Dead Inside - Dead Inside CD Bethlehem Lifelover Shining Lugubrum US $7.00 Buy It Now 14h 37m
TECHNIQUE SUN IS SHINING Single Cd US $7.80 Buy It Now 17h 2m
The Shining ?I Wonder How 10"single vinyl record ZUMA the verve US $29.99 Buy It Now 17h 16m
Bloodline - Werewolf Training LP ( Setherial - Ondskapt - Shining - Chainsaw ) US $22.00 Buy It Now 17h 25m
WARREN VACHE "MY SHINING HOUR" RARE 2003 LTD EDITION 24-BIT REMASTER CD US $14.57 Buy It Now 17h 42m
INXS shining star 12" 4 track gatefold b/w send a message live, faith in each ot US $8.09 Buy It Now 18h 6m
Mr. B "SHINING THE PEARLS" LP Blues Piano US $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 7m
Ash Shining Light Rare Australian 5 Track CD EP Single US $9.44 Buy It Now 18h 20m
ONE ONE ONE- Shining LP (NEW 2013 Vinyl) Norway Rock-Jazz, Jon Eberson Trio Fans US $19.44 Buy It Now 18h 29m
WE ARE SHINING - Hot Love. rare UK 1 track CD (Buy 3 = Free P&P!) US $3.21 Buy It Now 18h 40m
Ricky Skaggs(7" Vinyl)New Star Shining-Epic-650250-UK-Ex/NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 10m
Ricky Skaggs(7" Vinyl)New Star Shining-Epic-650250 7-UK-VG/VG US $6.99 Buy It Now 19h 10m
Ricky Skaggs(7" Vinyl)New Star Shining-Epic-650250-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 10m
JOYFUL SOUNDS - SHINING STAR [JOYFUL SOUNDS] - NEW CD US $9.53 Buy It Now 19h 32m
DARE - BENEATH THE SHINING WATER (CD) Darren Wharton, Thin Lizzy US $7.30 [1 bids]
LARRY CORYELL - SHINING HOUR [LARRY CORYELL] - NEW CD US $3.98 Buy It Now 20h 37m
Loveland feat: Rachel McFarlane (Keep On) Shining 12" US $11.35 Buy It Now 21h 6m
SOULNOTMIND - SHINING STARS - NEW CD US $15.98 Buy It Now 21h 47m
ROSEMARY SQUIRES-SHINING SEA-JAPAN MINI LP CD F00 US $25.50 Buy It Now 23h 15m
Tibetan Sacred Temple Music by Drepung Lamas (CD , 1990 Shining Star) US $5.00 [0 bids]
VARIOUS - Shining Covers - unmixed CD US $35.57 Buy It Now 23h 31m
Lee Scratch Perry(CD Album)Sun is Shining-Secret-SECCD019-UK-New US $11.39 Buy It Now 23h 32m
Bob Marley(2CD Album)Sun Is Shining-Trojan-CDTRD 422-UK-New US $6.99 Buy It Now 23h 32m
IRA WATSON Private SHiNING STaR Modern Soul Gospel SOZO Cassette RARE NoT An LP US $14.75 [0 bids]
SHINING PATH: Take You So Low So You Can Fly So High (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NAVJARMAAHR The Fangs Of The Shining Night (CD,2012) Pagan black metal US $13.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Shining Skulls - Destroy Your Self [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Primitives - Everythings Shining Bright NEW CD US $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Duane Dee - My Shining Hour lp Capitol Records ST2931 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Michael Stipe FRANK BLACK - Ciao My Shining CD Advance US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jack Jones / The Shining Sea / A Day In The Life Of A Fool 45 rpm Record Vinyl US $6.00 [0 bids]
SUPREMES when the lovelight starts shining USA 7" PIC SLEEVE only withdrawn US $16.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Grimnir / Trist / Regnum / Hypothermia - Split LP life is pain kyla shining US $16.20 [0 bids]
Jeff & Sheri Easter "Shining Through" 1991 Original CD excellent! Rare find! US $27.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Ossipov Orchestra - The Moon Is Shining - LP - early 80 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE Yolandita Monge A Star Is Shining Vol. 2 Patty LPP 141 VG TEDDY PUERTO RICO US $0.99 [0 bids]
Richard Harris A TRAMP SHINING W/'MacArthur Park" Dunhill DS-50032 GOOD PLUS US $7.04 [0 bids]
Shining - In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster CD. Norway. Digipak US $16.21 [0 bids]
Shining Fury : Last Sunrise CD (2004) US $3.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Shining Light Ash CD single Tim Wheeler Music US $1.58 [3 bids]
RITA MACNEIL - SHINING STRONG: COUNTRY COLLECTION (IMPORT) NEW CD US $16.63 Buy It Now 1 day
CARPATHIAN FOREST BLACK SHINING LEATHER MC, CASSETTE US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FORGOTTEN TOMB "Negative Megalomania" LP leviathan shining US $25.94 Buy It Now 1 day
1957 LP Record Album; Dorsey Brother's Shining Hour US $0.99 [0 bids]
INXS - Shining Star (UK 4 Track 1991 7" Single GF PS) US $4.04 Buy It Now 1 day
RANDALL BRAMBLET SHINING BIRMINGHAM 1TRK PROMO CD CS72 US $0.99 [0 bids]
SHINING PATH-UNDER MILKY WAY 3TRK PROMO CD CS356 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Last Sunrise by Shining Fury (CD, Jan-2004, Metal Blade) US $3.90 Buy It Now 1 day
M-Flo - Planet Shining [CD New] US $19.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Arriba by Bruce BecVar (CD, 1993, Shining Star) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $8.80 Buy It Now 1 day
? Earth, Wind & Fire - Greatest Hits (Promo only sampler) (with "Shining Star") US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SHINING music online Buy SHINING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SHINING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SHINING Grindstone ratings distribution

SHINING Grindstone reviews

Review by chamberry
4 stars Shining isn't a new band (they've been doing music since 1999), but this album in particular got more attention than their last releases and it's no surprise considering the great music this album has inside. A bit aggressive at times, but it all comes out not as hard to swallow as it may appear.

These guys are playing progressive rock in a very daring and fun way mixing a wide array of instruments and sounds to create one of this year's high points in prog rock. The band I can think of that has a related sound is Jaga Jazzist with their "A Livingroom Hush" album and it's no surprise given that Jørgen Munkeby is also a member of Jaga Jazzist. Take the spirit of "A Livingroom Hush" and add even more instruments to the mix and put some mean guitars instead of jazz horns (although the horns are still present in many of the songs) and there you have it. It's Quirky, complex, bombastic, fun and accessible (by prog standards).

The songs on the album sound varied between one another, but they don't wander off to a sense of not having any relations with the rest of the album. The album can be seen as a book. The first group of songs and the last group of songs sound more accessible and heavier than the adventurous middle part of the album. The middle part is my personal favorite because it's more childish and playful than the rest of the album. This part also has a more varied instrumentation, but these divisions are only my view on how I see the album although I think they're helpful when describing the album.

This album is a real treat. It's well rounded and complex enough to keep you on the edge of your sit yet accessible enough to be played by many prog fans with a bit more adventurous taste. If you're a fan of the more adventurous side of Art Rock like King Crimson or even The Mars Volta and the easier listening avant-prog bands like Taal then Grindstone is one of the albums missing in your collection.

Send comments to chamberry (BETA) | Report this review (#124025) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Review by avestin
4 stars Layers, so many layers.

I had the pleasure to add Shining to Prog Archives and in the process I got to know the band and its history better. The band also helped with the addition, sending me information needed for it, and for that I thank them (not to mention my enthusiasm with their music). This album belongs to the band's "second period" where they stray away from their "first period" where they released two albums and played acoustic jazz with improvisation and with a hardcore feel due to the recording manner. As they felt they no longer want to play within the constraints they set upon themselves, they moved on to their next stage in which Grindstone belongs. (Read the bio in their page to know more, and use the links there to visit their website and Myspace and listen to their music).

This is the story of a certain person listening for the first time to Shining and he chose Grindstone to begin with: "It starts with a bang.

I was struck straight in my brain auditory center.

Dazed, my brain recuperated, still dizzy and shaking from the wall of sound, unable to discern the notes apart, as they came on ceaselessly, mercilessly, attacking and charging over and over.

I then re-assembled my listening sense, told it to be courageous, raise its shields and try and absorb the audio assault.

Now, when I was all prepared and knowing my enemy I started again. And low and behold, the experience was amazing! With more and more listens, I came to realize the beauty behind the beast; the delicacy behind the "savagery"; the sophistication of the arrangements, the instrumentation, and the compositions all of which are built into layers. Their quirkiness and oddity and the beauty of those."

Well I am over-dramatizing it, obviously, as I got into their music from first listen actually, but it is true that their music is a sort of "attack" on your senses and if unprepared or unaware, a track like "Winterrise" might repel you or simply stun you.

Variety, aggressiveness and quirkiness - The album's nature is one of very high energy and even aggressiveness. While there are some intervals to breath somewhere in the middle (track 5 for instance "Moonchild Mindgames"), it is most of the time relentless. It is also "weird" or experimental as I prefer to see it. They opt for trying to create new sounds, new ways of creating melodies. They sure not like to conform and play it safe. Their varied sounds, are not made up of taking others music or style and re-hash it, but rather take from several sources to blend it, "bake" it, add their own ingredients and prepare a "musical cake" of their own. They can be weird like in "1:4:9" and yet this is to me at least (and I realize I am into these kind of things) a well thought-out experiment in constructing a melody from ingredients and an approach which would usually not be used to do so. This track is a dark passage into the final installment in this album, "Fight Dusk With Dawn".

Layers - Shining's music is built layers upon layers. At first it might seem like some cacophony, but you must concentrate and focus on it, identifying the main thread of the music, follow it and then will hear the other layers which can confuse and give the illusion or the appearance of chaos (maybe controlled chaos would be a good description). Take the two first tracks, where there are many instruments involved; improvised ones along with the usual rock instruments with their hard and rough edge and then others like the flute bringing in a softer side and then keyboards adding a majestic sound to top all of it. While listening, try to follow each instrument, one at a time (obviously you'll need repeated listens) and see if you get what I mean.

Instrumentation - What is great with Shining, apart from the sound that captures you in the middle of a ring of sound, is the instrumentation. I hear so many different sounding instruments there; some sound like some improvised Their cleverness is to me, expressed in the way the build their layers using their various instruments, combining subtlety with aggressiveness (for instance the flute vs. the bass and guitar in the first track); in the fact that they build their music however they like without confining themselves to one confined style or genre. In their music they mix their experimentalism with rock, electronics, jazz, metal but I can't say that I heard anything quite like this. Not only they have their own particular sound(s), they have a varied one at that, not restricted to one path.

Melody - Now, you'd think that with all this that I talked about, there is no music actually being played, only gimmicks. Well, that is not the case at all. Take the first track, which is named like their previous album "In The Kingdom Of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster"; it has a very melodic line, a fantastic and catchy musical phrase. "Psalm" has a beautiful female vocals backed by backing vocals, along with the guitar and keyboards which start playing quietly behind, increasing in volume slowly, then suddenly all gives way to some experimentation with the sound, and then comes back at full volume of all participants - vocals and band, giving a captivating melodic line. The combination of the female powerful chanting vocals and the guitar riffs, the contrast of roughness and delicacy is a characteristic of their music I admire. They can also be quite amusing or entertaining, like in the two short tracks "The Red Room" with some jazz put in there and "Asa Nisi Masa" with its voice alteration.

Final words - While I don't find all of the songs being of the same entertaining factor or of equal level, the end result is that I've been through a musical experience like which I am not experiencing frequently. And this is one of the things I am looking for when listening to music.

This is highly recommended if you're looking for a special experience, a non-ordinary form of progressive music, an original take on creating sounds and melodies. Give this proper several listens before judging, though. Play it at times when you're feeling adventurous and ready to be bombarded, caressed and intrigued.

Send comments to avestin (BETA) | Report this review (#141198) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 30, 2007

4 stars 4.5 stars. I have to thank Avestin for bringing this band to my attention. Well I wasn't thanking him after the first couple of listens haha, but after many spins i'm processing it better, but more importantly i'm really digging this album big time. How do you describe this music ? They mix in so many genres from Avant-garde to Jazz, from orchestral that sounds like it's out of an epic movie soundtrack to a dark and heavy Post-Rock flavour. This is silly, adventerous, experimental but most of all entertaining. The drummer is amazing by the way. Interesting that the band thanks Dweezil Zappa in the liner notes.

"The Kingdom Of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster" really contrasts well the dark passages with the chaotic ones. This does get frantic much like THE MARS VOLTA music. Pounding drums to open as chunky bass and vocals arrive. The vocals a minute in are sinister-sounding before he screams out. I love the intricate melody that follows that reminds me of ANGLAGARD. This is one of my favourite tracks, there is so much going on. Ear candy. It' the perfect opener. "Winterreise" is very uptempo with the drums out in front and all over the place. It calms down to almost a whisper before the drums lead the way back out. Piano arrives as the song settles down again with an orchestral section taking over(like out of a movie) that sounds incredible. Here we go again, full speed ahead ! "Stalemate Longan Runner" opens with something you would expect from KING CRIMSON these days, it's dark, heavy and experimental. Even some angular guitar thrown in. Again the drumming is killer. The tempo picks up as mellotron comes in, and I hate to say it but it makes me emotional it sounds so much like the great ANEKDOTEN at that point. It's just a wall of sound really. 3 minutes in we get a completely different melody that is light and classical sounding to end it. The song that follows sounds like less then a minute of a music box playing.

"Moonchild Mindgames" is a little out in left field as we get horn melodies and strange sounds before the dark piano melodies come in to change the mood to end it. "The Red Room" opens with a brief jazzy sax melody before turning heavy quickly. It then turns lighter again with sax leading the way in an uptempo melody. The drumming is amazing. The sax becomes dissonant to end it. "Asa Nisi Masa" sounds again like KING CRIMSON to open before a heavy, uptempo, industrial sounding melody follows. "Psalm" is my favourite song on here. The vocals are processed as they slowly sing. Suddenly this angelic female vocal melody soars over top. She leaves, as does he, as sounds start to slowly build. This is a fantastic section as the drums get louder and louder until she's back singing those soprano melodies. "-... . --.-. ...." is definitely a secret code right Jim ? No it's the name of the song believe it or not. This is a short horn led track. "1:4:9" opens with dark piano melodies in a haunting soundscape. It's like someone turned the power on before a minute. Heavy guitar as piano joins in a minute later. The power is shut off 2 1/2 minutes in as the original piano and dark atmosphere is back. She's back with those soprano vocal melodies but now it's like something out of a horror movie. Dissonant horns come in. It blends into "Fight Dusk With Dawn" where it turns dark and sinister quickly. It starts to get quite heavy. Nice. Sax and heavy drums take over 2 minutes in. They sound great. The sax eventually becomes prominant(mellotron is back) ending with dissonant sounds before a haunting section arrives. More dissonance and heaviness. Amazing !

I honestly don't know what to say in conclusion. This has to be one of the best recordings ever to come out of Norway.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#160206) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Review by js (Easy Money)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
5 stars Although they are categorized on this site as an avant-rock band, Shining has come a long way since they started as a noisy improvisatory jazz group. With the release of Grindstone, Shining has finally become the incredibly powerful modern instrumental progressive rock band they had hinted at on previous albums. As a long time fan of this genre, I think this is the strongest most original progressive rock band I have heard since the original King Crimson disbanded in 1975, yeah, it's that good.

Although Shining has their own sound, some of their similarities to classic Crimson are very much in their favor. Both bands combine rock, jazz, modern classical, metal, avant-garde, funk, punk and world music into a highly original musical collage, both combine acoustic and electric instruments into unique mini- orchestras, and both create music that is somehow ancient and modern at the same time. I especially enjoy the Crimsonish doubled saxophone lines and heavy Mellotron dirges. To this classic mix Shining brings excellent compositional skills, truly unique melodies that reflect their North European background, and modern metal influenced musical sensibilities that give them a futuristic cutting edge sound. Besides King Crimson, some other bands that come to mind when listening to this album include, John Zorn, mid- 70s Genesis, Van der Graf Generator, Slayer, Mr Bungle, The Mars Volta and probably some avant prog metal bands I don't know about. The diffrence is that Shining's music is almost all instumental except for occaisonal wordless vocals. Ashild Skiri Refshdal's soaring soprano combined with the metal guitar and heavy Mellotron definitley takes a few of their tunes to another time and planet.

It is Shining's compositional skills and gift for original melody that sets them apart from the pack. The ability to draw upon and invoke the spirit of classic progressive rock, and still move the genre forward into new territory is no easy fete, but on Grindstone, Shining achieves what no other band has been able to achieve in decades.

Send comments to js (Easy Money) (BETA) | Report this review (#203918) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 21, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars It took Shining a few albums to develop their own unique voice but they not only progress but actually managed to perfect their music layering experiments and create a beast of an album!

It's nearly impossible for me to explain why I enjoy Grindstone as much as I do since there is really no formula to the music on this 45 minute record. The compositions might seem a bit harsh at times, especially while listening to the opening few numbers, and for some people this will definitely be a love or hate type of affair. Honestly though, I couldn't get enough of this album upon my initial spin and it became an essential part of my playlist all throughout late 2009 and early 2010.

I love that this album is short enough to not feel intrusive and not long enough to overstay its welcome, something that Shining didn't succeed on with their follow-up release, and it's definitely one of the reasons why Grindstone was the breakthrough album that that earned this quartet the recognition that they truly deserved. It's by no means an easy experience but there is a certain staying power with these compositions that will make you want to repeat the trip just to make sure that you haven't missed anything. Trust me when I say that compositions like the great Fight Dusk With Dawn are still growing on me even to this day.

This is one crazy ride of an album that I still love to take on occasion. A slight word of caution to anyone expecting Grindstone to be a jazz record. Although jazz influences are definitely still in place, they might not seem all that prominent at first. Give this record some time and it will guarantee to work its magic on you!

***** star songs: In The Kingdom Of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster (5:40) Asa Nisi Masa (1:52) Fight Dusk With Dawn (6:53)

**** star songs: Winterreise (3:33) Stalemate Longan Runner (4:15) Moonchild Mindgames (3:06) The Red Room (2:16) Psalm (7:20) -... .- -.-. .... (2:07) 1:4:9 (5:03)

*** star songs: To Be Proud Of Crystal Colors Is To Live Again 1 (0:49) To Be Proud Of Crystal Colors Is To Live Again 2 (1:09)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#443214) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 05, 2011

Post a review of SHINING "Grindstone"