HISTORY NEVER REPEATS: THE BEST OF SPLIT ENZ (INTERNATIONAL VERSION)

Split Enz

Split Enz History Never Repeats: The Best of Split Enz (International version) album cover

Buy SPLIT ENZ Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1987

1. I Got You (3:29)
2. Hard Act to Follow (3:18)
3. Six Months in a Leaky Boat (4:26)
4. What's the Matter With You (3:06)
5. One Step Ahead (2:52)
6. I See Red (3:14)
7. Message to My Girl (3:59)
8. History Never Repeats (2:58)
9. I Hope I Never (4:32)
10. Dirty Creature (4:02)
11. Poor Boy (3:26)

Search SPLIT ENZ History Never Repeats: The Best of Split Enz (International version) lyrics

Search SPLIT ENZ History Never Repeats: The Best of Split Enz (International version) tabs

Tim Finn - Vocals, Guitar, Piano
Neil Finn - Vocals, Guitar
Eddie Raynor - Keyboards
Nigel Griggs - Bass
Noel Crombie - Percussion (drums on tracks 3,7,10)
Malcom Green - Drums (except tracks 3,7,10)

LP/CD/CS A&M SP/CD/CS-3289 (1987)

Thanks to cheesecakemouse for the addition
and to AtomicCrimsonRush for the last updates

SPLIT ENZ MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPLIT ENZ History Never Repeats: The Best of Split Enz (International version) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
History Never Repeats: The Best of Split EnzHistory Never Repeats: The Best of Split Enz
Remastered
A&M 1990
True Colours [Laser Etched Shapes and Patterns]True Colours [Laser Etched Shapes and Patterns]
A&M
Wea International 2006
Time & TideTime & Tide
Import · Remastered
Mushroom Records 2007

More places to buy SPLIT ENZ music online Buy SPLIT ENZ & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPLIT ENZ DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPLIT ENZ History Never Repeats: The Best of Split Enz (International version) ratings distribution

SPLIT ENZ History Never Repeats: The Best of Split Enz (International version) reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars "History Never Repeats: the international version is a condensed version of the Australian 2 CD 30th Anniversary compilation of the same name. "Spellbound" still remains the definitive compilation of the band, however as a taster of what the band offered in terms of great music, specifically their most endearing popular singles, this 1 CD version sold to the international market has some great merits.

Naturally one CD is not sufficient to capture the ultimate of the NZ/Aus band, but the best Enz tracks are here. Namely the quintessential tracks included are: History Never Repeats, Dirty Creature, I See Red, I Got You, One Step Ahead, Six Months in a Leaky Boat, Poor Boy, I Hope I Never, and Message to My Girl. It is a mystery why the not so well known tracks Hard Act to Follow and What's the Matter with You were included. I cannot recommend these over the likes of Shark Attack or Semi Detached. I mention Semi Detached, even though it is not a well known track by any standards, because it is certainly the most progressive track with its lengthy bizarre, off kilter rhythmic structure and overall sound. There is not much prog in this stripped down compilation at all, even the beginning intro orchestration of 6 Months... is excised.

This compilation is a condensed version of the better Australian version, it doesn't feature their early prog related tracks from the first 3 proggier albums, focusing rather on the more commercial side of Enz. I can only recommend this if you are desperate to hear what they sound like, but you are far better advised to grab hold of "Spellbound" which showcases the progressive side of the band.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#281293) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
2 stars Split Enz were originally a New Zealand band influenced by Gabriel-era Genesis. Their first two or three albums are supposed to be their proggiest. I haven't heard any of their albums, but I did own this compilation once. No prog here, that's for sure. Includes the groups biggest international hit "I Got You". Great song but it's a little overplayed nowadays. "Six Months In A Leaky Boat" is another great single. "One Step Ahead" is my favourite song I've heard from Split Enz. A fantastic single from an era where there was many mediocre singles. The only other song that I liked was "Poor Boy". The rest of the songs didn't do much for me, unfortunately.

I don't know how much I would like one of their studio albums, either one of the proggy early ones or later poppy ones. All I really know about this group is that one or more members ended up forming the Australian group Crowded House. That band was more successful internationally. Anyway, some great singles here. Good New Wave-y pop/rock music from the early 1980s. Worth getting if you are into that sort of thing. I have no idea if this is still in print or if there are better compilations out there. You're probably better off getting those three singles from iTunes or whatever. Or wait till they get played on the radio and tape them. Whatever makes you happy. For this compilation I'll give 2 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#389329) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 29, 2011

Post a review of SPLIT ENZ "History Never Repeats: The Best of Split Enz (International version)"