SUBWAY

- Malcolm Watson / violin, arranger

Original vinyl on the French branch of the Epic label

Cd reissue on - Guerssen records GuessCD007

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition

SUBWAY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SUBWAY Subway Music

Hold on to your dreams (1992) By Subway (0001-01-01)Hold on to your dreams (1992) By Subway (0001-01-01)
Subway IISubway II
Soul Jazz Records 2009
SubwaySubway
Epic 2010
This Lil' Game We Play by Subway (1995-03-07)This Lil' Game We Play by Subway (1995-03-07)
Motown
Audio CD$6.99 (used)

THE SUBWAYS "ALL OR NOTHING" CD NEW+ USD $20.29 Buy It Now 2h 25m
RECORD "THESE ARE MY SONGS" BY PETULA CLARK "Don't Sleep in the Subway" WB1698 USD $5.56 Buy It Now 2h 34m
SUBWAY TO SALLY "KREUZFEUER" CD NEW+ USD $13.83 Buy It Now 3h 6m
@ CD Subway - s/t JAPAN PRESS + OBI / BAREKNUCKLE RECORDS 1998 GERMAN MELODIC USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Subways Are For Sleeping Original Broadway Cast LP 1961 Mono 6-Eye Vinyl Record USD $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Bee Gees 45 rpm Subway & You Should Be Dancing 1976 RSO records USD $7.95 Buy It Now 5h
The Subways - All Or Nothing JAPAN Promo CD 12Trk RARE #118 USD $1.20 Buy It Now 5h
THE SUBWAYS - YOUNG FOR ETERNITY PROMO-CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
undertones / The Subways - UK Tour dates 2004 - 4 x 3 in UK TIMELINE ADVERT USD $1.62 Buy It Now 6h 4m
THE OC MIX 5 PROMO - SUBWAYS- KASABIAN- SHOUT OUT LOUDS-CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
The Subways autographed T-shirt size large. USD $12.95 [0 bids]
Bastard [Us Import] Subway to Sally Audio CD USD $23.42 Buy It Now 8h 23m
CHET BAKER QUARTET**LIVE AT THE SUBWAY CLUB**2 CD SET USD $17.95 Buy It Now 8h 49m
Punk BUZZCOCKS Gig FLYER Card 2007 30th Anniv. London + CHELSEA SUBWAY SECT Mint USD $1.94 Buy It Now 8h 54m
THE COACHMEN, SUBWAYS OF BOSTON - STEREODISC LP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Pussy [Single] [PA] by Lords of Acid (CD, May-1998, Antler-Subway) USD $1.75 Buy It Now 8h 59m
After the Session Instrumentals lp Subway Riders Gene Page Saxie Russell etc USD $29.99 Buy It Now 9h 8m
The Charlottes - Love Happy - 1989 UK Subway Org Rel - Shoegazer - Exc Cond USD $16.85 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Subway to Sally - Bastard (CD) USD $5.98 Buy It Now 9h 25m
Subways-Oh Yeah CD Single, Maxi Very Good USD $2.93 Buy It Now 9h 26m
Subway to Sally - Nackt (CD) USD $4.98 Buy It Now 9h 26m
MING & FS / SUBWAY SERIES #2 12" OG US 2002 HIP HOP VINYL JINGLE HELL THE ANSWER USD $3.88 Buy It Now 10h 11m
Grandmaster Caz & Chris Stein Wild Style Theme Rap 1 Wild Style Subway Rap UK 12 USD $5.17 [0 bids]
Ming & Fs - Subway Series - Om Records - 2002 #335929 USD $5.82 Buy It Now 11h 18m
BLONDE ON BLONDE Japan 1977 NM 7"45 SUBWAY WWR-20342 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 45m
FEMALE / McGUIRE SISTERS / Subways Are For Sleeping/ CORAL MONO CRL 57398/SEALED USD $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 28m
The Subway Recordings by Susan Cagle CD USD $3.92 Buy It Now 13h 55m
Subway To Sally - Mitgift [CD New] USD $23.68 Buy It Now 14h 57m
Lords Of Acid - I Sit On Acid '96 (12" 1996 Antler Subway NR-1001) NEW USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 22m
Lords of Acid: Lust (Cassette, 2003, Antler-Subway) NEW USD $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 32m
THE CROSSTOWNERS - WAY DOWN IN THE MINE / THE SAGA OF GEORGIE'S LAST SUBWAY RIDE USD $5.99 Buy It Now 20h 54m
THE SUBWAYS - SUBWAYS-CD+T-SHIRT L MEN,THE CD + T-SHIRT NEW+ USD $35.24 Buy It Now 21h 6m
SUBWAY TO SALLY Nackt DVD USD $7.00 Buy It Now 21h 55m
BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE SUBWAY LARGE MAXI POSTER LP1379 (69/532+E) USD $9.06 Buy It Now 23h 37m
RARE CD LOOKING GLASS 1972 with BRANDY ( YOU'RE A FINE GIRL ) & SUBWAY SERENADE USD $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Subways - Young For Eternity [Us Import] - The Subways CD JMVG USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SUBWAYS ARE FOR SLEEPING COLUMBIA LP Theater Record Vinyl Album Show Tunes USD $6.27 Buy It Now 1 day
MONOCHROME SET Fin LP Subway Sect Swell Maps XTC Wire Fall / El - Cherry Red '86 USD $19.44 Buy It Now 1 day
TRASH CAN SCHOOL one eyed car/subway shriek/satan's... yellow vinyl 7" PS EX/EX USD $9.06 Buy It Now 1 day
Lords of Acid Our Little Secret CD 1997 Antler Subway USD $8.95 [0 bids]
Boris Mikulic - Heresy Caroline Antler Subway 1990 USD $23.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Spizz Energi Subway Sect ticket Lyceum Ballroom 22/02/81 USD $12.96 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE JIM BEAM MUSIC PLAYING CARD - BILLY LUNN (THE SUBWAYS) USD $3.82 Buy It Now 1 day
SUBPLAY: SUBWAY MUSICIANS OF... - Various Artists CD * BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED * USD $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SUBPLAY: SUBWAY MUSICIANS OF... - Various Artists CD ** Like New / Mint ** USD $9.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Klaatu 45 CALLING OCCUPANTS / SUB ROSA SUBWAY ~ VG+ USD $2.46 Buy It Now 1 day
The Subways 7" Vinyl Collection Look USD $38.88 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID ACKLES, Subway to the Country [red Elektra] USA 1st pressing LP USD $5.99 [0 bids]
CHAMPS Chariot Rock + Subway 45 US 1958 Challenge 59018 USD $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID ACKLES Subway To Country LP M- US 1969 og Lyrics USD $24.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Milli Vanilli Baby Don't Forget My Number 12" NM- Vinyl IN SHRINK Subway Mix USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CHOO CHOO TRAIN Briar High Singles 1988 LP SUBWAY Paul Chastain Ric Menck c86 USD $32.39 Buy It Now 1 day
BEE GEES 45 RPM VINYL RECORD YOU SHOULD BE DANCING & SUBWAY CLASSIC RETRO DISCO USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Subway Moon Roy Nathanson CD USD $20.13 Buy It Now 1 day
Soft Cell - Down In The Subway 12 Inch NEW Vertigo 818437 Import USD $17.50 Buy It Now 1 day
ELECTRO / INDUSTRIAL - BORIS MIKULIC - HERESY LP - ANTLER-SUBWAY ORIGINAL IMPORT USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pussy [Single] [PA] by Lords of Acid (CD, May-1998, Antler-Subway) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PETULA CLARK Don't Sleep In The Subway / Here Comes The Morning 45 RPM VG Vinyl USD $1.25 [0 bids]
The Flatmates [CD] Love And Death (86-89) [Subway; suborg 14cd] *1989* (UK) USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Various ?- Subway (Label Compilation) CD NEW AND SEALED USD $8.45 Buy It Now 1 day
Bastard - Subway To Sally (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.85 Buy It Now 1 day
BLUE SUBWAY I walked right out of my mind Thanks for nothin MGM 45 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
David Ackles Subway To The Country 45 RPM LP Vinyl Record Sealed With Promo USD $12.99 [0 bids]
SUBWAY TO SALLY - Morb Nord Ost USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAMAGED ARTWORK CD Various Artists: Major League Entertainment: Subway Series Vo USD $7.49 Buy It Now 1 day
DION 7" EP Written On The Subway Wall VG++ Pop ROCK 1989 e2947 USD $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Subway [CD New] USD $7.65 Buy It Now 1 day
Starchild - Mystery Revealed - Antler Subway - 2002 #123975 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Subway Rockers - Rockin Bass - Emotiva - 2006 #175926 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Sandy Wilhelm Presents - Subway EP (Promised Land) - Oxyd Records - 2003 #117159 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Subway to Sally Nackt CD USD $5.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Subway Baby - Rewind - Q-Records - 2001 #71917 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Subways - All Or Nothing CD near mint! USD $3.57 Buy It Now 1 day
Arlene Roth - Plays The Music Of Simon & Garfunkel: Subway Walls [CD New] USD $12.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Subway Salsa - The Montuno Records Story Various Artists Audio CD USD $24.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Subway Walls: Arlen Roth Plays the Music of Simon & Garfunkel [9/18] by Arlen... USD $10.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Percy Faith - Subways Are For Sleeping - Do I Hear A Waltz? (CD) - Pop Instru... USD $12.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Percy Faith - Subways Are For Sleeping - Do I Hear A Waltz? (CD) - Pop Instru... USD $16.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Subways,the - Subways,the NEW CD USD $7.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Subways,the - I'm In Love And It's Burning I NEW 7" USD $6.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Cello Chixtet: Amy X Neuburg-Secret Language Of Subways CD NEW USD $13.65 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID ACKLES Subway To The Country 45 - White Label Promo - DJ Copy Folk Psych USD $15.22 Buy It Now 1 day
SUBWAYS, The - Taking All The Blame (Record Store Day 2015) - Vinyl (limited 7") USD $11.02 Buy It Now 1 day
The Subways Rock & Roll Queen 7" Blue Vinyl Unplayed USD $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
SUBWAY - YOU CAN DO ANYTHING - 5 MIX HOUSE CD SINGLE USD $2.58 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie ?- Subway To Seattle RARE 2 x LP CLEAR VINYL - near mint! USD $40.16 Buy It Now 2 days
(Subway) IN-D "Virgin In-D Sky's" 1988 BELGIUM ACID HOUSE dj vinyl Listen! USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
(Never / Antler Subway) ZOLEX "XTC Alarm" 1996 TRANCE dj vinyl Listen! USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Subway - Hold On To Your Dreams CD USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Ming and Fs : Subway Series CD (2002) USD $6.48 Buy It Now 2 days
WINDS OF CHANGE ~ FAR EAST SUBWAY BLUES VINYL RECORD LP / 1983 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Imagination Workshop Band : Subway Train CD (2003) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Groove Farm Alvin is King Lp original C86 Twee Subway USD $19.43 Buy It Now 2 days
STARZ SING IT, SHOUT IT/SUBWAY TERROR 7" YELLOW VINYL 1977 CAPITAL 4434 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SUBWAYS I'm In Love And It's Burning In My Soul 7" VINYL B/w I'm In Love USD $11.52 Buy It Now 2 days
SUBWAYS No Goodbyes 7" VINYL Chris Lord-Alge Original Mix B/W Mary Live From USD $3.11 Buy It Now 2 days
SUBWAYS Alright 7" VINYL Pic Disc Still Sealed B/W Obsession Acoustic Version USD $8.41 Buy It Now 2 days
GIANTS (NEW WAVE GROUP) Subway Song 7" VINYL Demo B/w Maybe I'm A Fool (pb5153) USD $4.07 Buy It Now 2 days
SUBWAYS No Goodbyes 7" VINYL Radio Edit In Pic Sleeve With Inner B/w You've Got USD $2.72 Buy It Now 2 days
SUBWAYS With You 7" VINYL Clear Vinyl In Numbered Pic Sleeve With Inner USD $6.47 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy SUBWAY music online Buy SUBWAY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SUBWAY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SUBWAY Subway ratings distribution

SUBWAY Subway reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars 4.5 stars really!!

This duo's sole album proved to be one of the most elusive collectible vinyls in the folk rock realm, and its reputation of being a lost gem was not usurped. Made from an encounter in the London tube between American singer/songwriter Irvin Mowrey and British classically trained violinist Malcolm Watson. The duo developed an acoustic 12-string guitar-violin sound that sounded quite unique, mixed with Mowrey's great voice and intriguing lyrics.

From the fragile opening I Am A Child to the darker 5-mins Songs From A Sinking Shelter (Watson is all over the track from the foreground to the background and enhanced with a mellotron and percussions) to the absolutely haunting and psychedelic Warm You Are (with a slightly Mauresque ambiance and backwards cymbal effects) and the group-enhanced soundscape of All Good Things, the first side is a pure marvel of psych/acid/progressive folk. Yet, nothing is to prepare us for the flipside.

Opening on the fantastic Enturbulation, where some electric guitars, organ, bass and drums accompany the duo, Watson's violin simply soars to height unsuspected until Mowrey's guitar is taking the song into full-blown jam, ending dramatically. Arizona Sands return to more traditional folk, with Watson's violin is sending chills down your spine. The closing track Trade With You My Mind is another full group effort, pushing the music towards an electric folk rock. Influence-wise the two tracks with the rock arrangements are really close to String Driven Thing's best moments on Machine That Cried.

It is clear that if all these songs are penned by guitarist-singer Mowrey, they would not have the same flavour without Watson's superb and inventive violin, often giving a normal song a haunting and eerie atmosphere to them. Sadly all too short, I'm more than sure there are more tapes lying around from radio shows or unused tracks for the album. And yet after so many years of turning the music racks upside down, this old geezer still manages to discover one of those legitimate lost gems in the acid-folk domain, that this little oeuvre is a real beauty.

Review by chamberry
4 stars Subway are one of my recent finds in the folk side of music. I've always been a fan of the genre since I heard the albums in Sean Trane's recommendation blog. Since then I've been hunting for bands and long lost gems and in the end it led me to this wonderful band called Subway.

Subway are a duo that played music for a living in the subways of Paris (hence their name). One day they were playing a record producer was passing by and it was a Cinderella story all over again. They got a record deal and wrote and released an album, but they only made a very little amount of copies and the ones they didn't sold got burned. A sad thing to do since this is definitely a tasty gem.

The music in this album is all over the place, but it always keeps a sort of mystical atmosphere (just like what you get by looking at the cover art).They can be as beautiful as the opener, "I Am A Child" to the psychedelic freakout of "Enturbulation-Free Form". As the previous reviewer pointed out the violin in this album owes much to the atmosphere here. Aside from the guitar and violin there are other instruments like the mellotron in the dreamy "Song For Sinking Shelter", drums/ percussions used in "All The Good Things" as well as several other songs and the song with a wide array of electric instruments like electric guitar, bass, drums and organ in the trippy "Enturbation". The song may look out of place in the context of the album, but it doesn't and surprisingly adds a whole different dimension to their already marvelous sound. The same can be said about "Can I Trade With You My Mind", but in a more pastoral way. All the songs blend nicely I personally wouldn't add or take any songs in the album even though its only around 35 minutes long.

In the end this is an excellent album to have if you have the chance to get it. If you're a fan of acid folk and psych folk then you won't have a problem enjoying this album. A great album to play in a sunny day outside.

3 stars SUBWAY were a band made up of an American who wrote the songs and sang while playing his 12 string guitar and an Englishman who was a classically trained violinist. Let's just say that playing in the subway brought the duo success in both the UK and France.You can read their biography here at Prog Archives to get the details. The album cover looks like a picture of two minstrels from the 1600's. They play an Acid-Folk brand of music and there are drums, organ, bass and electric guitar on several of the songs.

You can really get an idea of how they would have sounded playing in the subway on "I Am A Child". The two of them do a excellent job on this song with great lyrics like "I'm a child and I can fly..." On the next song "Song For Sinking Shelters" we hear some unique guitar sounds in this psychedelic flavoured tune with some soaring violin. "Warm You Are" opens with almost dissonant violin melodies. This song has a greater emphisis on violin that plays over the 12 string guitar.

"All The Good Things" is where we hear some drums for the first time. "Enturbulation - Free Form" is my favourite song on this record. This song feels like a jam and the violin is outstanding ! We also get some organ and electric guitar. Great song ! "Arizona Sands" is ok,kind of melancholic. "Rosanna Of The Roses" has some keys late in the song with drums earlier. "Can i Trade With You My Mind" has the usual terrific guitar and violin as the sound gets fuller as the drums come in after 2 minutes.

This is a tasteful folk album with some nice violin,12 string guitar and vocals. Although this is far from my favourite genre there is something very special about this release.

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars You can get the quick story of Subway's history on the back side of the record sleeve. American guitarist/songwriter Irvin Mowrey goes to England in the early seventies just because that's what a lot of American artistic-types did back then. He meets Englishman Malcolm Watson who is a journeyman violinist and the two of them end up busking in the subways for spare income. Though the duo attract some interest, Mowrey has to leave the country due to work visa issues and the two land in France where they continue busking, are 'discovered', and end up recording this album. What the album notes don't explain is that the record was limited in production, had basically no promotion and sank like a stone although the duo did attract somewhat of a following opening for Supertramp for a while. Mowrey and Watson continued their nomadic ways through the mid-seventies and eventually released another album under their own names titled (appropriately) 'Busker' along with a film of the same name documenting those days. Mowrey also released a solo record at the end of the decade, but I haven't been able to find much information other than the title ('Continental Drift').

As far as the album goes, this is some pretty interesting and darn good music, especially considering its humble beginnings. You would think a songwriting 12-string acoustic guitarist from the early seventies U.S. and an English violinist might end up making mostly stilted and faux-Renaissance British folk music, but such is really not the case. True, the music is pretty much all acoustic, heavily influenced by English folk (along with hints of Celtic and possibly even a little Welsh). And the singing tends to be very close to what is usually referred to as 'bard-like'. And the first fifteen minutes of the record are dominating by three slow, acoustic, folksy numbers consisting exclusively of Mowrey's vocals and 12- string strumming along with Watson's bowing. "I Am a Child", "Spmg for Sinking Shelters" and "Warm Are You" are very decent folk music to be sure, but certainly not groundbreaking or even particularly progressive.

But after that things improve remarkably, mostly thanks to the addition of some very good percussion including both hand and snare drums and beginning with the haunting and enchanted "All the Good Things". "Enturbulation (Free Form)" goes even further by adding heavy doses of tasty, pysch-leaning electric guitar and I believe even some piano/ keyboards, although quite faint so it's a bit hard to tell for sure. This one is an instrumental and highlights Watson's skill on strings, which may be one of the earlier demonstrations of just how much the depth and range a violin can bring to rock-oriented music. 'Free Form' is unlike anything else on the album, and the one track that most certainly was not performed behind an open violin case at the foot of stairs leading to a subway. This one is a richly arranged and produced studio concoction and gets quite trippy as it lumbers along. "Rosanna of the Roses" is another rather rocking number with crisp snare drumwork and more emphasis on Mowrey's comfortable 12-string strumming.

Despite the fact that Mowrey wrote all the songs, provides all the vocals and presumably plays all the acoustic guitar parts, Watson dominates most of the second half of the album with his evocative violin playing. It's a perfect musical marriage, and one that probably should have yielded much more material than what the two of them managed to record together.

Today Malcolm Watson is based out of Colorado in the United States and is in demand as a motivational speaker and new-age musician, and bills himself as The Barefoot Violinist. His discography includes a half-dozen new new-age, classical and holiday recordings and his 5-member band includes - you guessed it, Irvin Mowrey.

This is a very charming and highly enjoyable album that should appeal to most any progressive, folk or acoustic music fan. It's been reissued on CD and is well worth seeking out. Four out of five stars, missing on the fifth only because the first couple of songs don't distinguish themselves quite as much as the rest of them do. Highly recommended.

peace

Post a review of SUBWAY "Subway"