SUBWAY

- Malcolm Watson / violin, arranger

Original vinyl on the French branch of the Epic label

Cd reissue on - Guerssen records GuessCD007

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition

SUBWAY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SUBWAY Subway Music

Subway IISubway II
Soul Jazz Records 2009
SubwaySubway
Epic 2010
CHERRY PEOPLE s/t LP AND SUDDENLY Heritage Gatefold GIRL ON SUBWAY Light of Love USD $19.99 Buy It Now
KID CREOLE SUBWAY SECT ETC NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS MAY 15th 1982 VINTAGE NME* USD $13.07 Buy It Now
RARE CD LOOKING GLASS 1972 with BRANDY ( YOU'RE A FINE GIRL ) & SUBWAY SERANADE USD $69.99 Buy It Now
VIC GODDARD AND THE SUBWAY SECT - A RETROSPECTIVE (1977-81) + INNER -VERY GOOD++ USD $12.43 [4 bids]
THE SUBWAYS No Goodbyes 7" 2005 USD $1.30 [0 bids]
The Subways - Young For Eternity JAPAN CD+DVD+Bonus Track LIMITED EDITON #B01 USD $19.99 Buy It Now
THE CHAMPS Chariot Rock / Subway ROCK 45 RPM RECORD USD $12.00 Buy It Now
Disorder magazine - June 05 - Maximo Park, Subways, Le Tigre, Glitterati USD $6.53 Buy It Now
The Subway Recordings USD $4.00 Buy It Now
(FW884) The Subways, We Don't Need Money to Have a Good Time - 2011 DJ CD USD $3.91 Buy It Now
ERIC SERRA: Subway LP (UK, small stain/writing on cover) Soundtrack USD $15.00 Buy It Now
SONS OF THE SUBWAY BANDULU ESCAPE VENTURES 12" vinyl RARE ORIGINAL INFONET 1994 USD $10.45 [0 bids]
The Subways - All Or Nothing, Japan CD New w/OBI USD $29.00 Buy It Now
Subway Silence (Gatefold Sleeve) [180 gm black vinyl] Giovanca Vinyl USD $26.98 Buy It Now
PETULA CLARK .. DON'T SLEEP IN THE SUBWAY .. 16 GREATEST ORIGINAL HITS .. OLDIES USD $7.70 Buy It Now
Our Little Secret [PA] by The Lords Of Acid (CD 1997 Antler Subway) Goth Dance USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Subways - Dirty Muddy Paws [Vinyl New] USD $11.52 Buy It Now
Coachmen - Subways Of Boston CD-R [CD New] USD $13.85 Buy It Now
PROFESSOR MURDER RIDES THE SUBWAY (CD 2006) NEW ! VERY RARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USD $19.95 Buy It Now
David Ackles Subway to the Country LP Vinyl Record Elektra Original UK EKS 74060 USD $18.98 Buy It Now
SEALED RARE PROMO OOP Susan Cagle Justice CD The Subway Recordings prozzak ROCK USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
SUBWAYS ARE FOR SLEEPING McGuire Sisters LP CORAL LP Funny Cover 50s Vocal Clasc USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
The Subway Poets EP Alternative Folk Good Vibrations Belfast Folk USD $3.93 Buy It Now 3h
WALT MINK "Fragile" b/w "Subway" Promo PRIVATE 1737 EX+ to NM- USD $29.99 Buy It Now 3h
TTBP EP 11 Buck Eejit Henry Cluney Hardcase The Subway Poets Alternative Ulster USD $3.93 Buy It Now 3h 2m
The Temple Subway Poets belfast indie folk USD $4.58 Buy It Now 3h 2m
SHERYL CROW My Favourite Mistake CD 3 Tracks Inc Subway+Crash & Burn USD $4.44 Buy It Now 3h 7m
SUBWAY DOGS NEW JACK/SOMEWHERE IN THE WIND, RARE CROATIAN ALTER ROCK 7" USD $38.00 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Groove Farm Alvin Is King! UK vinyl LP album record SUBORG9 SUBWAY 1988 USD $15.64 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Subways No Goodbyes 7" vinyl single record UK WEA398 WARNER 2005 USD $10.39 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Praga Khan Love USA CD single (CD5 / 5") NR6063 ANTLER SUBWAY USD $12.42 Buy It Now 6h 41m
SOFT CELL Down In The Subway 12" 3 Track B/w Disease And Desire And Born To Lose USD $6.53 Buy It Now 8h 19m
SUBWAY (SOUL GROUP) This Is Not A Goodbye 12" 4 Track Promo Featuring New Mix Ed USD $4.11 Buy It Now 8h 19m
The Subways - Money And Celebrity (Deluxe Edition) NEW CD USD $13.04 Buy It Now 8h 21m
The Subways - Money And Celebrity NEW CD USD $11.62 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Cagle, Susan-Subway Recordings, The CD NEW USD $14.25 Buy It Now 8h 26m
Hawkwind 1990 subway poster USD $117.76 Buy It Now 8h 49m
SOFT CELL Down In The Subway 12" 3 Track B/w Disease And Desire And Born To Love USD $6.53 Buy It Now 9h 25m
ERIC SERRA Subway LP 15 Track (v2371) UK Virgin 1985 USD $6.53 Buy It Now 10h
CHESTERFIELDS Westward Ho LP 8 Track (suborg5) UK Subway 1987 USD $14.38 Buy It Now 10h 8m
SUBWAY (SOUNDTRACK) Bande Originale Du Film De Luc Besson LP 15 Track (v2371) UK USD $13.01 Buy It Now 10h 15m
ORIG BROADWAY CAST Subways are for Sleeping USA LP USD $11.12 Buy It Now 10h 44m
STRUGGLE FROM THE SUBWAY TO THE CHART BY NUTTIN BUT STRINGZ (CD) USD $22.16 Buy It Now 10h 44m
SLAGS Turn On Tune In Drop Out CD 13 Track (rtd35500292) GERMAN Subway 1995 USD $8.49 Buy It Now 10h 52m
EXPLODING WHITE MICE We Walk Alone CD 12 Track (wm331) GERMAN Subway 1996 USD $24.19 Buy It Now 10h 52m
SUBWAYS With You CD 1 Track Promo In Special Card Sleeve (pro15529) UK Infectiou USD $4.70 Buy It Now 10h 52m
SUBWAY SECT Lazy So And So CD 3 Track Card Sleeve Design B/w Everything's Crashi USD $16.36 Buy It Now 10h 52m
TJUKURPA Second Fiction CD 17 Track (fi6919) AUSTRIAN Antler Subway 1995 USD $13.20 Buy It Now 10h 52m
SUBWAYS No Goodbyes CD 1 Track Radio Edit Promo In Special Digi Pack (pro15648) USD $4.70 Buy It Now 10h 53m
SUBWAYS We Don't Need Money To Have A Good Time CD 1 Track Promo In Card Sleeve USD $4.11 Buy It Now 10h 53m
KID CASANOVA Heart Attacks And Subway Maps CD 4 Track Promo Featuring Kids In Th USD $6.53 Buy It Now 10h 53m
SUBWAYS No Goodbyes CD USD $3.83 Buy It Now 10h 54m
THE SUBWAYS Oh Yeah Promo CD USD $3.83 Buy It Now 10h 54m
THE SUBWAYS No Goodbyes CD USD $3.34 Buy It Now 10h 54m
SUBWAYS We Don't Need Money To Have A Good Time CD 1 Track Promo With Info Stick USD $4.11 Buy It Now 11h
SUBWAYS Oh Yeah CD 1 Track Promo In Special Card Sleeve (pro15267) UK Infectious USD $4.11 Buy It Now 11h
SUBWAYS Rock And Roll Queen CD 1 Track Promo (procd101643) US Reprise 2005 USD $6.53 Buy It Now 11h
SUBWAYS Alright CD 2 Track B/w Clocks (wea447cd) EUROPEAN Infectious 2008 USD $5.48 Buy It Now 11h 2m
SUBWAYS It's A Party CD 1 Track Promo With Info Stickered Card Sleeve (frycdl492 USD $4.11 Buy It Now 11h 2m
SUBWAYS Oh Yeah CD 2 Track B/w Take Me Away (wea384cd1) EUROPEAN Infectious 2005 USD $5.48 Buy It Now 11h 11m
SHERYL CROW My Favorite Mistake CD 3 Track B/w Subway Ride And Crash And Burn (5 USD $5.48 Buy It Now 11h 11m
HEADSWIM Tourniquet CD 4 Track B/w Black Car, Last Subway Coma And Recovery Posi USD $2.73 Buy It Now 11h 11m
SUBWAYS I Won't Let You Down CD 1 Track Promo With Info Stickered Card Sleeve (p USD $6.53 Buy It Now 11h 19m
SUBWAY SECT Lazy So And So CD 3 Track In Card Sleeve B/w Everything's Crashing D USD $6.53 Buy It Now 11h 19m
HOT CHIP Dj Kicks CD 24 Track Compilation Featuring Positive K, Subway, Ray Char USD $6.53 Buy It Now 11h 19m
SUBWAYS All Or Nothing CD 12 Track (2564695271) EUROPEAN Infectious 2008 USD $6.53 Buy It Now 11h 31m
SUBWAYS Young For Eternity CD 12 Track Plus Encore At 1 Am (499182) US Sire 2005 USD $6.53 Buy It Now 11h 31m
SUBWAYS Young For Eternity CD 13 Track With Promo Info Stickered Case (256462484 USD $6.53 Buy It Now 11h 37m
SUBWAYS Rock And Roll Queen CD 1 Track Promo In Card Sleeve (pro15456) UK Infect USD $4.11 Buy It Now 11h 37m
URBAN VERBS 1980 Vintage VINYL LP New Wave SynthPop Post Punk SUBWAYS TINY GREY USD $3.60 Buy It Now 11h 46m
The Subways Young For Eternity RARE EU IMPORT CD LISTEN USD $7.19 Buy It Now 11h 56m
SUBWAYS I'm In Love And It's Burning In My Soul 7" B/w I'm In Love (transgressiv USD $11.63 Buy It Now 12h 47m
BRYAN AND MICHAEL Mam When's Mi Dad Coming Home 7" Demo B/w Man In The Subway (7 USD $6.53 Buy It Now 12h 47m
SUBWAYS No Goodbyes 7" Chris Lord-alge Original Mix B/w Mary Live From Islington USD $3.14 Buy It Now 12h 47m
SUBWAYS Alright 7" Pic Disc Still Sealed B/w Obsession Acoustic Version (wea447) USD $8.49 Buy It Now 12h 47m
SUBWAYS No Goodbyes 7" Radio Edit In Pic Sleeve With Inner B/w You've Got To Hid USD $2.75 Buy It Now 12h 48m
BRYAN AND MICHAEL Mam When's Mi Dad Coming Home 7" B/w The Man In The Subway (7n USD $4.11 Buy It Now 12h 48m
GIANTS (NEW WAVE GROUP) Subway Song 7" Demo B/w Maybe I'm A Fool (pb5153) Pic Sl USD $4.11 Buy It Now 12h 49m
SUBWAYS With You 7" Clear Vinyl In Numbered Pic Sleeve With Inner B/w Staring At USD $6.53 Buy It Now 13h
Last Poets - On The Subway [CD New] USD $12.00 Buy It Now 13h 10m
DOGS (80'S GROUP) Missing On The Subway 7" B/w Ain't Goin Nowhere (ers006) Pic S USD $5.48 Buy It Now 13h 13m
STARZ Sing It Shout It 7" Yellow Vinyl B/w Subway Terror (cl15932) UK Capitol 19 USD $2.73 Buy It Now 13h 13m
TRASH CAN SCHOOL One Eyed Car 7" 3 Track Gold Vinyl B/w Subway Shriek And Satan' USD $6.53 Buy It Now 13h 15m
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK You Got It 7" (6531697) Band On Subway Train Pic Sleeve UK USD $4.11 Buy It Now 13h 15m
VIC GODARD AND THE SUBWAY SECT Hey Now I'm In Love 7" B/w Just In Time (lon005) USD $6.53 Buy It Now 13h 44m
BEE GEES You Should Be Dancing 7" B/w Subway (2090195) Pic Sleeve But Has Sellot USD $8.88 Buy It Now 13h 44m
SUBWAYS I Won't Let You Down 7" B/w Shake Shake Live From Stoke Sugarmill (wea45 USD $5.48 Buy It Now 13h 44m
SUBWAYS Alright 7" B/w Girls And Boys Live From Stoke Sugarmill (wea447x) Sticke USD $5.48 Buy It Now 13h 44m
FLATMATES You're Gonna Cry 7" B/w Life Of Crime (subway14) Pic Sleeve With Inser USD $8.88 Buy It Now 13h 45m
Subway to the Country by USD $28.88 Buy It Now 13h 49m
PETULA CLARK - Don't Sleep In The Subway - 1967 VG++ CANADA PRESSING USD $4.95 Buy It Now 13h 50m
SOFT CELL Down In The Subway 7" B/w Disease And Desire (bzs22) Pic Sleeve UK Som USD $4.11 Buy It Now 14h 30m
MOVING FINGERS Subway And The Stars 7" (son2314) Pic Sleeve DUTCH Sonet 1986 USD $6.53 Buy It Now 14h 31m
THE SUBWAY : CLEAR LIMITED EDITION 7" VINYL. a. WITH YOU. MINT. USD $2.60 [0 bids]
David Ackles-Subway To The Country (VG) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 44m
THE SUBWAYS - YOUNG FOR ETERNITY - CD USD $4.25 Buy It Now 16h 4m
THE SUBWAYS - All Or Nothing - CD Album USD $1.30 Buy It Now 17h 23m
LP McGuire Sisters "Subways Are for Sleeping" 1961 mono Coral 57398 VG+/VG++ USD $6.00 Buy It Now 17h 59m
Subways Of Boston - Coachmen (CD Used Very Good) CD-R USD $10.28 Buy It Now 18h 11m
SUBWAYS York Fibbers 25th October 2004 TICKET Used Ticket For Gig At York Fibber USD $6.53 Buy It Now 19h 6m

More places to buy SUBWAY music online Buy SUBWAY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SUBWAY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SUBWAY Subway ratings distribution

SUBWAY Subway reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars 4.5 stars really!!

This duo's sole album proved to be one of the most elusive collectible vinyls in the folk rock realm, and its reputation of being a lost gem was not usurped. Made from an encounter in the London tube between American singer/songwriter Irvin Mowrey and British classically trained violinist Malcolm Watson. The duo developed an acoustic 12-string guitar-violin sound that sounded quite unique, mixed with Mowrey's great voice and intriguing lyrics.

From the fragile opening I Am A Child to the darker 5-mins Songs From A Sinking Shelter (Watson is all over the track from the foreground to the background and enhanced with a mellotron and percussions) to the absolutely haunting and psychedelic Warm You Are (with a slightly Mauresque ambiance and backwards cymbal effects) and the group-enhanced soundscape of All Good Things, the first side is a pure marvel of psych/acid/progressive folk. Yet, nothing is to prepare us for the flipside.

Opening on the fantastic Enturbulation, where some electric guitars, organ, bass and drums accompany the duo, Watson's violin simply soars to height unsuspected until Mowrey's guitar is taking the song into full-blown jam, ending dramatically. Arizona Sands return to more traditional folk, with Watson's violin is sending chills down your spine. The closing track Trade With You My Mind is another full group effort, pushing the music towards an electric folk rock. Influence-wise the two tracks with the rock arrangements are really close to String Driven Thing's best moments on Machine That Cried.

It is clear that if all these songs are penned by guitarist-singer Mowrey, they would not have the same flavour without Watson's superb and inventive violin, often giving a normal song a haunting and eerie atmosphere to them. Sadly all too short, I'm more than sure there are more tapes lying around from radio shows or unused tracks for the album. And yet after so many years of turning the music racks upside down, this old geezer still manages to discover one of those legitimate lost gems in the acid-folk domain, that this little oeuvre is a real beauty.

Review by chamberry
4 stars Subway are one of my recent finds in the folk side of music. I've always been a fan of the genre since I heard the albums in Sean Trane's recommendation blog. Since then I've been hunting for bands and long lost gems and in the end it led me to this wonderful band called Subway.

Subway are a duo that played music for a living in the subways of Paris (hence their name). One day they were playing a record producer was passing by and it was a Cinderella story all over again. They got a record deal and wrote and released an album, but they only made a very little amount of copies and the ones they didn't sold got burned. A sad thing to do since this is definitely a tasty gem.

The music in this album is all over the place, but it always keeps a sort of mystical atmosphere (just like what you get by looking at the cover art).They can be as beautiful as the opener, "I Am A Child" to the psychedelic freakout of "Enturbulation-Free Form". As the previous reviewer pointed out the violin in this album owes much to the atmosphere here. Aside from the guitar and violin there are other instruments like the mellotron in the dreamy "Song For Sinking Shelter", drums/ percussions used in "All The Good Things" as well as several other songs and the song with a wide array of electric instruments like electric guitar, bass, drums and organ in the trippy "Enturbation". The song may look out of place in the context of the album, but it doesn't and surprisingly adds a whole different dimension to their already marvelous sound. The same can be said about "Can I Trade With You My Mind", but in a more pastoral way. All the songs blend nicely I personally wouldn't add or take any songs in the album even though its only around 35 minutes long.

In the end this is an excellent album to have if you have the chance to get it. If you're a fan of acid folk and psych folk then you won't have a problem enjoying this album. A great album to play in a sunny day outside.

3 stars SUBWAY were a band made up of an American who wrote the songs and sang while playing his 12 string guitar and an Englishman who was a classically trained violinist. Let's just say that playing in the subway brought the duo success in both the UK and France.You can read their biography here at Prog Archives to get the details. The album cover looks like a picture of two minstrels from the 1600's. They play an Acid-Folk brand of music and there are drums, organ, bass and electric guitar on several of the songs.

You can really get an idea of how they would have sounded playing in the subway on "I Am A Child". The two of them do a excellent job on this song with great lyrics like "I'm a child and I can fly..." On the next song "Song For Sinking Shelters" we hear some unique guitar sounds in this psychedelic flavoured tune with some soaring violin. "Warm You Are" opens with almost dissonant violin melodies. This song has a greater emphisis on violin that plays over the 12 string guitar.

"All The Good Things" is where we hear some drums for the first time. "Enturbulation - Free Form" is my favourite song on this record. This song feels like a jam and the violin is outstanding ! We also get some organ and electric guitar. Great song ! "Arizona Sands" is ok,kind of melancholic. "Rosanna Of The Roses" has some keys late in the song with drums earlier. "Can i Trade With You My Mind" has the usual terrific guitar and violin as the sound gets fuller as the drums come in after 2 minutes.

This is a tasteful folk album with some nice violin,12 string guitar and vocals. Although this is far from my favourite genre there is something very special about this release.

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars You can get the quick story of Subway's history on the back side of the record sleeve. American guitarist/songwriter Irvin Mowrey goes to England in the early seventies just because that's what a lot of American artistic-types did back then. He meets Englishman Malcolm Watson who is a journeyman violinist and the two of them end up busking in the subways for spare income. Though the duo attract some interest, Mowrey has to leave the country due to work visa issues and the two land in France where they continue busking, are 'discovered', and end up recording this album. What the album notes don't explain is that the record was limited in production, had basically no promotion and sank like a stone although the duo did attract somewhat of a following opening for Supertramp for a while. Mowrey and Watson continued their nomadic ways through the mid-seventies and eventually released another album under their own names titled (appropriately) 'Busker' along with a film of the same name documenting those days. Mowrey also released a solo record at the end of the decade, but I haven't been able to find much information other than the title ('Continental Drift').

As far as the album goes, this is some pretty interesting and darn good music, especially considering its humble beginnings. You would think a songwriting 12-string acoustic guitarist from the early seventies U.S. and an English violinist might end up making mostly stilted and faux-Renaissance British folk music, but such is really not the case. True, the music is pretty much all acoustic, heavily influenced by English folk (along with hints of Celtic and possibly even a little Welsh). And the singing tends to be very close to what is usually referred to as 'bard-like'. And the first fifteen minutes of the record are dominating by three slow, acoustic, folksy numbers consisting exclusively of Mowrey's vocals and 12- string strumming along with Watson's bowing. "I Am a Child", "Spmg for Sinking Shelters" and "Warm Are You" are very decent folk music to be sure, but certainly not groundbreaking or even particularly progressive.

But after that things improve remarkably, mostly thanks to the addition of some very good percussion including both hand and snare drums and beginning with the haunting and enchanted "All the Good Things". "Enturbulation (Free Form)" goes even further by adding heavy doses of tasty, pysch-leaning electric guitar and I believe even some piano/ keyboards, although quite faint so it's a bit hard to tell for sure. This one is an instrumental and highlights Watson's skill on strings, which may be one of the earlier demonstrations of just how much the depth and range a violin can bring to rock-oriented music. 'Free Form' is unlike anything else on the album, and the one track that most certainly was not performed behind an open violin case at the foot of stairs leading to a subway. This one is a richly arranged and produced studio concoction and gets quite trippy as it lumbers along. "Rosanna of the Roses" is another rather rocking number with crisp snare drumwork and more emphasis on Mowrey's comfortable 12-string strumming.

Despite the fact that Mowrey wrote all the songs, provides all the vocals and presumably plays all the acoustic guitar parts, Watson dominates most of the second half of the album with his evocative violin playing. It's a perfect musical marriage, and one that probably should have yielded much more material than what the two of them managed to record together.

Today Malcolm Watson is based out of Colorado in the United States and is in demand as a motivational speaker and new-age musician, and bills himself as The Barefoot Violinist. His discography includes a half-dozen new new-age, classical and holiday recordings and his 5-member band includes - you guessed it, Irvin Mowrey.

This is a very charming and highly enjoyable album that should appeal to most any progressive, folk or acoustic music fan. It's been reissued on CD and is well worth seeking out. Four out of five stars, missing on the fifth only because the first couple of songs don't distinguish themselves quite as much as the rest of them do. Highly recommended.

peace

Post a review of SUBWAY "Subway"

Other sites in the MAC network: JazzMusicArchives.com — jazz music reviews and archives | MetalMusicArchives.com — metal music revuew and archives