IDEAS OF REFERENCE

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Psyopus Ideas Of Reference album cover

Buy PSYOPUS Music
Studio Album, released in 2004

1. Mork And Mindy (Daydream Lover) (3:58)
2. The White Light (3:24)
3. Death, I... (4:58)
4. The Long Road to the 4th Dimension (4:08)
5. Mannequin (2:45)
6. Mirror Rim (2:53)
7. Imogen's Puzzle (2:01)
8. Anomoly (3:41)
9. Bones to Dust (15:40)

Search PSYOPUS Ideas Of Reference lyrics

Search PSYOPUS Ideas Of Reference tabs

- Chris Arp / guitar
- Fred Decoste / bass
- Adam Frappolli / vocals
- Greg Herman / drums

CD Black Market Activities, Metal Blade Records BMA 005, 3984-14508-2 (2004 US)
CD Reflections Records RFL060 (2005 Netherlands)

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

PSYOPUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PSYOPUS Ideas Of Reference Music

Odd SensesOdd Senses
Metal Blade 2009
Our Puzzling Encounters ConsideredOur Puzzling Encounters Considered
Metal Blade 2007
Ideas of ReferenceIdeas of Reference
Good Fight Music 2004
Ideas of Reference - Psyopus New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $13.43 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Odd Senses - Psyopus New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $17.36 Buy It Now 7h 47m
PSYOPUS - IDEAS OF REFERENCE - NEW CD US $7.07 Buy It Now 1 day
Psyopus - Ideas Of Reference [CD New] US $10.05 Buy It Now 1 day
PSYOPUS - IDEAS OF REFERENCE NEW CD US $14.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Psyopus - Our Puzzling Encounters Considered [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Psyopus - Our Puzzling Encounters Considered CD US $14.83 Buy It Now 2 days
PSYOPUS - OUR PUZZLING ENCOUNTERS CONSIDERED CD 2007 MATH METAL US $1.88 [0 bids]
Psyopus - Odd Senses NEW CD US $13.93 Buy It Now 3 days
Psyopus - Ideas Of Reference CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 4 days
Test Switch Isolator - Let's Dance CD PsyOpus Converge Ion Dissonance Himsa Zao US $0.99 [0 bids]
Psyopus : Ideas Of Reference CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 11 days
PSYOPUS - OUR PUZZLING ENCOUNTERS CONSIDERED CD ALBUM US $6.59 Buy It Now 11 days
Psyopus - Ideas of Reference (2011) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $9.45 Buy It Now 12 days
PSYOPUS - ODD SENSES * - NEW CD US $7.56 Buy It Now 15 days
Psyopus - Odd Senses [CD New] US $10.54 Buy It Now 20 days
Ideas of Reference by Psyopus (CD, Oct-2004, Metal Blade) US $7.10 Buy It Now 20 days
Psyopus - Odd Senses CD US $14.83 Buy It Now 21 days
CD METAL BLADE SAMPLER 2009 NR MINT CANNIBAL CORPSE BEHEMOTH GOATWHORE PSYOPUS++ US $4.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Psyopus : Ideas of Reference CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 25 days
Psyopus - Odd Senses (2009) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $7.08 Buy It Now 26 days
Psyopus Odd Senses 2009 CD Mathcore Avant-garde Metal Music Album Brand New US $18.65 Buy It Now 27 days
PSYOPUS - Ideas Of Reference CD US $59.00 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy PSYOPUS music online Buy PSYOPUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PSYOPUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PSYOPUS Ideas Of Reference ratings distribution

PSYOPUS Ideas Of Reference reviews

Review by Moatilliatta
2 stars This group is very talented, and their music is very complex, but it is completely unlisenable. The sound is obnoxious, and there is really nothing the listener can take from this. It is just a rampant series of riffs that seem to have no meaning beyond the complexity. These guys clearly have the ability to be something worthwhile, but they need to work on their songwriting. Psyopus's dexterity is on par with bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, arguably the starter of the Tech-Metal/Core movement, but the latter's music has way more dimentions than the former's. Sure, Dillinger's early work was very relentless, but besides the fact that is was unprecedented, the drums had a jazzy feel to somewhat attenuate the simultaneous chaos. Ideas of Reference just sound like incessant paroxysms channeled through instruments. It is noisy and unbearable. I admire their skills, but the way they use those skills is not a way that I can appreciate or recommend. I can tolerate similar music, but there must be something there beyond technicality.

Send comments to Moatilliatta (BETA) | Report this review (#150077) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 10, 2007

Review by UMUR
2 stars Ideas Of Reference is the debut album from american tech metal band Psyopus. Iīve already listened to and reviewed their second album Our Puzzling Encounters Considered. Our Puzzling Encounters Considered is one of those really rare albums that actually physically hurt to sit through. Constantly dissonant noisy riffing and out of this world complexity not unlike the relentless assault of a band like Behold...the Arctopus. Unlike the instrumental Behold...the Arctopus Psyopus has an screaming lead singer that sounds like he should be commited to a lunatic asylum. Needless to say that I wasnīt too impressed with that album and that the only redeeming thing I found about Our Puzzling Encounters Considered was the technical level of the musicians.

After listening to Ideas of Referance I can say that Psyopus played the same annoying style on this album. If I have to be fair I do enjoy ( boy thatīs a hard word to say when talking about this band) Ideas of Reference a bit more than Our Puzzling Encounters Considered but that doesnīt mean that this is music I really appreciate. The only moments I do enjoy ( there it was again) is the more quiet moments like Imogenīs Puzzle. A short acoustic classical inspired piece. To top the album of Thereīs the ending of Bones To Dust. I hate that. First you get about four minutes of music and then several minutes of silence before weīre put right into some noisy and utterly useless secion. Plain annoying.

Itīs funny because Iīm usually very fond of extreme metal in any forms and shapes but this is just a bit too much for me. Give me a good Napalm Death, Anaal Nathrakh or Nasum album anytime but my life is simply too short for this kind of dissonant noisy hell.

The musicianship is outstanding on the album and itīs the only reason why I wont give this album 1 star. Dissonant chromatic riffing at the speed of light and complex drums and bass. This is music only for musicians who wants to know if itīs really possible to play these things.

The production is powerful and very good IMO.

I canīt stand this modern approach to tech metal and I would love to give this album 1 star but Iīll aknowledge the extremely tight musicianship and give this one a small 2 star rating. Not recommended if you got anything that resembles ears.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#182918) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 20, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Ideas Of Reference' - Psyopus (6/10)

Now, having listened to a lot of Psyopus' repertoire, I have become a little bit more familiar with the band's rather unique and dissonant style. My first encounter with the band found me almost repulsed. The second record I listened to was 'Odd Sense' which despite also being ridiculous in nature, had some really cool moments as well as a pleasing neo- classical composition.

Now where does Psyopus' debut full-length, 'Ideas Of Reference' stand in comparison?

Believe it or not, overall; this is the band's most cohesive and enjoyable effort, as there are actually a few moments where the band gives leave of its harsh vocals, and turns to focus in on their instrumental skills without interruption. It certainly does not have a song that truly compares to their neo classical masterpiece 'A Murder To Child' but there's enough here to please someone with a taste for the avant-garde,

For those not familiar with Psyopus' style, it's something you really have to listen to in order to understand. It's the same sort of systematic chaos that many progressive metal bands employ, taken to the utmost extreme (to the point of annoyance.) On that measure, the sheer excess and originality of the band must be lauded, but it's a bit difficult to listen to, especially at first!

'Ideas Of Reference' has some moments (and by far, my favourites) where there aren't any vocals, and the guitars take over and incorporate 'some' melody and groove into the mix. Other parts that are certainly the most accessible to the average listener are the clean (yes, clean) parts of some of the songs where Chris Arp shows he can do more than simply shred his listeners to oblivion. Still, even the clean parts are dissonant in nature, although it has the same sort of dissonant beauty that attracts some to the post-classical scene.

Despite the fact that there are things to enjoy here, I could only run through the album a few times before being forced to cut my listening sessions to a song's worth or two. As time went by however, things eventually clicked and what I found was an album that blew me away in all of the ways that other metal bands were too tame to. Theres alot of worth here, and someone willing to let go of whatever preconceptions they have of the band might find something really interesting and unique here.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#247826) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 02, 2009

Review by Sheavy
COLLABORATOR Progressive Electronic Team
5 stars Wow. A crazy one this band is.

Let me start by saying if you can barely get into bands like BTBAM or TDEP, then do not even try this album at all. This is one of the most agressive dissonant bands out there. Riffs do not exist in Psyopus's world, and neither do time signatures. This is hyper music that really does not stop to give you a brath of fresh air.

That being said, for me, this album is amazing and a masterpiece. Yes I said it. A masterpiece. This is about as far as I can go with extreme music before it gets to much, and this band is about at that line where the "music" crosses into pain, but I am not bothered by the harshness here. The only song where you get a small break is Imogen's Puzzle with some acoustic guitar and some girl screaming. The closing song Bones To Dust is one of those songswhere you think the band has decided to do some epic song, but then you find out there is mostly silence with a small "hidden song" towards the end of this long silence. Thankfully you can shorten that silence.

The muscians are without a doubt super-super skilled with crazy guitar, bass, and drum playing abounding. The singer screams his head off, which fits well with the crazy backdrop of insane noise. This is a band I highly enjoy, even though this is most certantly not for everyone, but something that I think as absolutely wonderful.

Send comments to Sheavy (BETA) | Report this review (#491213) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 27, 2011

4 stars Well, what do we have here? This is mathcore metal at its most extreme. In fact I believe this is extreme metal's version of free jazz with Christopher Arp's wild frenzied manic guitar scales at a million miles an hour with Fred DeCoste's equally fast bass often backing it up with some kind of bo ... (read more)

Report this review (#1126807) | Posted by siLLy puPPy | Monday, February 03, 2014 | Review Permanlink

2 stars What a mess this is, albeit an occasionally interesting mess. I guess it helps if you try to listen to the other mess of an album that is Dillinger Escape Plan's "Calculating Infinity", which somewhat better in the sense that there's melody there placed somewhat better in between music, even the so ... (read more)

Report this review (#881021) | Posted by Venusfly91 | Sunday, December 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PSYOPUS "Ideas Of Reference"