OUR PUZZLING ENCOUNTERS CONSIDERED

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Psyopus Our Puzzling Encounters Considered album cover

Buy PSYOPUS Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. The Pig Keeper's Daughter (3:35)
2. 2 (4:01)
3. Scissor Fuck Paper Doll (3:36)
4. Whore Meet Liar (1:54)
5. Insects (3:17)
6. Imogen's Puzzle pt 2 (4:26)
7. Play Some Skynard (0:33)
8. Kill Us (4:53)
9. Siobhan's Song (6:43)
10. Happy Valentine's Day (3:11
11. Our Puzzling Encounters Considered (1:55)

CD containes two not enlisted tracks:
12. (0:06)
13. (27:56)

The first 23 minutes of track 13 consists of a recorded message repeating the
word "annoying" over and over. The end of the song consist of a Red Chord
cover of the song "Catelepsy".

Search PSYOPUS Our Puzzling Encounters Considered lyrics

Search PSYOPUS Our Puzzling Encounters Considered tabs

- Chris Arp / guitar
- Fred Decoste / bass
- Adam Frappolli / vocals
- Jon Cole / drums

CD Metal Blade Records 3984-14602-2 (2007 US)
CD Metal Blade Records 3984-14602-2 (2007 Germany)

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

PSYOPUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PSYOPUS Our Puzzling Encounters Considered Music

Our Puzzling Encounters ConsideredOur Puzzling Encounters Considered
Metal Blade 2007

More places to buy PSYOPUS music online Buy PSYOPUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PSYOPUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PSYOPUS Our Puzzling Encounters Considered ratings distribution

PSYOPUS Our Puzzling Encounters Considered reviews

Review by UMUR
2 stars Our Puzzling Encounters Considered is Psyopus second album. Psyopus plays the modern variant of tech metal which means itīs extremely dissonant chromatic guitar riffs which are generally played at the speed of light, very complex rythms, time changes that occour every second or so and an annoying singer that donīt know if he wantīs to growl, shout or make pig like screams.

As you can probably sense this is not my favorite style. In fact I find this kind of music very annoying. The vocals are the worst but I also have a hard time enjoying the spastic rythms which are similar to the rythms played by a band like The Dillinger Escape Plan. There are also hints to a band like BEHOLD...THE ARCTOPUS which is a band I really canīt appreciate either. Iīm generally a big fan of tech metal/ death metal but these bands that play technical music this way simply donīt sound good to me.

There are a few redeeming moments on Our Puzzling Encounters Considered and that is of course the musicianship which is astonishing to say the least. This is very complex music and it takes some talent to play it this tight no doubt. But there are actually a couple of enjoyable songs here too. Sadly the only two songs I enjoy on Our Puzzling Encounters Considered is the two songs where Psyopus donīt sound like themselves. Imogen�s Puzzle pt 2 is an instrumental song with lots of finger tapping. Itīs more impressive technically than it is melodically though. My favorite song here is definitely the instrumental song Siobhan's Song which is really beautiful and even has classical leanings. Itīs an excellent song indeed.

Even for fans of tech metal I would think twice before purchasing Our Puzzling Encounters Considered, as it is a very hard listening experience and as you can hear on my review it isnīt neccessary worth it. Iīll rate Our Puzzling Encounters Considered 2 stars for the originality and the musicianship. If any of these things had not been top notch I would have rated Our Puzzling Encounters Considered 1 star because quite frankly I donīt enjoy this album one bit ( only the two instrumentals).

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#168744) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 26, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'Our Puzzling Encounters Considered' - Psyopus (3/10)

I have just successfully completed listening to 'Our Puzzling Encounters Considered' en toute, and I am honestly having a hard time thinking right now, seeing that my mind is a little bit gone.

I like to consider myself as a pretty knowledgable and experienced metal and progressive listener, meaning I actively listen to post, traditional and extreme prog metal, and nowadays; alot of technical metal. Bands like 'Canvas Solaris' and 'Scale The Summit' are really pushing the boundaries of instrumental music, and making music that brims with both compositional and virtuosic skill. Technical music is a very involved process usually, but the music comes off alot of time as being mind-blowing and very impressive.

What Psyopus' music does is makes my brain liquify, and die away. It really does take the term 'technical' to new levels... But what it lacks is any actual music (music being something that sounds like... well, music.) There's no beauty in here, no hooks, no melodies, no real rhythms... It honestly sounds like the band could have brought a pair of dice to their recording sessions, and on the sheet paper; throw the dice at random and whereever the dice landed, a random note would be placed. Pair that with lyrics that no one can even make out anyways, and you have Psyopus.

The saddest thing about Psyopus is that they could actually be an amazing band, if they tried being a bit more musical. Any technical style of music requires alot of talent to play, and this band (with the exception of the vocalist) is overflowing with untapped talent. However, wasting such impressive skill and ability on unlistenable music just seems pointless.

I think I might have brain damage.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#207724) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 18, 2009

2 stars After listen many bands screaming, i thought that i could listen any non-doom band (the doom band make me sick, literally), i thought that i could find if they scream just because they don't know what else to do or if they scream because is part of the music. After listen this album i realized ... (read more)

Report this review (#162725) | Posted by CGH Tompkins | Tuesday, February 26, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Devastating. That's the first word that came into my head after hear Our Puzzling Encounters Considered by PsyOpus. Their extreme tech metal leaves you breathless for like 40 minutes. BUT there are many ways a record can devastate you: one way is smashing your ears and nearly make your head ex ... (read more)

Report this review (#160611) | Posted by Juliovp | Saturday, February 02, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I am used to extreme vocals but these ones are just downright annoying(although it is par for course, and easy to pretend they are another instrument in a way), much like the bonus track that goes on forever with a girl repeating over and over the word "annoyingannoyingannoyingannoying.....(ad i ... (read more)

Report this review (#150025) | Posted by avalanchemaster | Saturday, November 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PSYOPUS "Our Puzzling Encounters Considered"