FROM SILENCE TO SORCERY

Part 2:
9. Gris-Gris

Part 3: Shibboleth
10. i Abglanzbeladen
11. ii Im Leeren (In Empty Space)
12. iii Mandelnde (Almond-like)
13. iv Hinterlassne (Left Back)
14. v Etwas wie Nacht (Something like Night)
15. vi Aus Verlorem (From Things Lost)

Search JOHN ZORN From Silence to Sorcery lyrics

Fred Sherry / Cello
Willian Winant / Drums, Percussion
Stever Drury / Clavichord

Tzadik (Jun 2007)

Thanks to inpraiseoffolly for the addition

JOHN ZORN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JOHN ZORN From Silence to Sorcery Music

From Silence to SorceryFrom Silence to Sorcery
Tzadik 2007

More places to buy JOHN ZORN music online Buy JOHN ZORN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JOHN ZORN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JOHN ZORN From Silence to Sorcery ratings distribution

JOHN ZORN From Silence to Sorcery reviews

Review by Anthony H.
2 stars John Zorn: From Silence to Sorcery [2007]

Rating: 4/10

From Silence to Sorcery is an album of contemporary-classical music by American avant-garde composer John Zorn. While Zorn has made some absolutely incredible music, I generally dislike his classical/chamber-music pieces. His compositions in this style are often only enjoyable in an academic sense, and even then, they tend to homogenize with one another. Such is the case with From Silence to Sorcery; I've already heard everything presented here a thousand times before. Even the concepts are tired: magic, mystiscism, shamanism, voodoo, and other such things. Zorn's music is normally extraordinarily creative, but I feel stuck in a rut while listening to albums like this.

The eight-part 'Goetia' is solo violin piece that absolutely fails to engage me in any way. It sounds like nothing but dissonant plucking. 'Gris-Gris' is an interesting percussion piece. It's well-performed and fun to listen to; again, however, I feel like I've heard this so many times before. 'Shibboleth' is the final piece, and also the longest. This piece is played with a clavichord, two violins, a cello, and percussion. This a middle-of-the-road Zorn piece. It's neither terrible nor fascinating.

I'm certainly not disgusted with the music presented on From Silence to Sorcery, but I'm not intrigued with it, either. This is an uninspired release that has done absolutely nothing for me. There's not much more to say about this. I can only restate 'meh' so much.

Send comments to Anthony H. (BETA) | Report this review (#585016) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2011

Post a review of JOHN ZORN "From Silence to Sorcery"