IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Europe 1972Europe 1972
Repertoire 1997
Not Just Another Bunch Of Pretty Faces/Tea Break Is Over-Back On Your 'EadsNot Just Another Bunch Of Pretty Faces/Tea Break Is Over-Back On Your 'Eads
Sunrise Records
If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
SECRET SERVICE 2 Maxi 12" Limited Let us dance white v and If i try Eurodisco USD $19.99 [0 bids]
USD $29.00 Buy It Now
U2, If God Will Send His Angels, Single USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
FEARGAL SHARKEY "IF THIS IS LOVE" VIRGIN 1988 PROMO - 2 TRACK 12" VINYL SINGLE USD $2.59 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Kenny Lattimore: If I lose my woman 12" vinyl record 2d USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 2 Tk Cassette Single) USD $3.66 Buy It Now 2h 15m
2 Pac - I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto - 12" Remix(Vinyl Record) USD $9.93 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Jazz 45 Prestige ETTA JONES Dont Go To Strangers - If I Had You 180 RVG EB45J2 USD $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 6m
IF/2 UK ILPS9137 USD $108.00 Buy It Now 4h 38m
BUCKS FIZZ, IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT (1), G/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture S USD $2.62 Buy It Now 5h 56m
BUCKS FIZZ, IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT (2), G/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture S USD $2.62 Buy It Now 5h 56m
DRAKE If You're Reading This Its Too Late 2x LP NEW VINYL Lil Wayne Cash Money P USD $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 14m
I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto, 2Pac, Very Good Explicit Lyrics, Single USD $1.46 Buy It Now 6h 32m
CHER, IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME (1), VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, USD $2.62 Buy It Now 7h 42m
CHER, IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME (2), VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, USD $2.62 Buy It Now 7h 42m
CHER, IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, USD $2.63 Buy It Now 7h 42m
CHICAGO, IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW, EX/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, CBS, USD $2.63 Buy It Now 7h 54m
CHICAGO, IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW, G/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Company Sleeve, CBS, USD $2.63 Buy It Now 7h 54m
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next [CD 2] [CD 2], Manic Street Prea USD $1.46 Buy It Now 8h 38m
If Only [CD 2] [CD 2], Hanson, Very Good Single USD $1.46 Buy It Now 8h 56m
THE WAITRESSES-2 LP'S-WASN'T TOMORROW WONDERFUL?-I COULD RULE THE WORLD IF USD $9.59 Buy It Now 9h 17m
COLIN JAMES, IF YOU LEAN ON ME, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, VIRGI USD $2.62 Buy It Now 9h 23m
!!! As If 2 x Vinyl LP 2015 (10 Tracks) NEW & SEALED USD $26.86 Buy It Now 10h 42m
If2 If Audio CD USD $17.93 Buy It Now 11h 48m
If I Let You Go [CD 2], Westlife, Very Good Limited Edition, Single USD $1.46 Buy It Now 13h 40m
MENTAL AS ANYTHING_If You Leave Me Can I Cum_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_J2c USD $8.62 Buy It Now 14h 9m
THE DANDY WARHOLS - NOT IF YOU WERE THE LAST JUNKIE ON EARTH - CD SINGLE 2 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 14h 13m
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight EUROPEAON SINGLE CD NEW SEALED USD $47.99 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Hanson IF ONLY European Import 2-trk CD Single In Cardboard Picture Sleeve USD $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 3m
DIANA ROSS, IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, E USD $2.62 Buy It Now 15h 18m
If You Leave Me Now [CD 2], Upside Down, Very Good Single USD $1.46 Buy It Now 15h 24m
If You Want Me [CD 2], Hicks, Hinda, Very Good Maxi, Single USD $1.46 Buy It Now 15h 24m
Darien - If These Walls Could Talk BBQ07CD +2 JAPAN CD G9 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 15h 34m
If You Ever Did Believe - 2-track Stevie Nicks USA CD-R acetate promo USD $22.81 Buy It Now 16h 12m
DONNY OSMOND, IF ITS LOVE THAT YOU WANT, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Slee USD $2.62 Buy It Now 16h 45m
If This Were A Radio It Would Sound L... U2 3-CD (Triple CD) USA promo USD $38.18 Buy It Now 16h 58m
EARTHA KITT, IF I CAN'T TAKE IT WITH ME, G/VG, 2 Track, 7 " Single, Company Slee USD $2.62 Buy It Now 17h 40m
ELECTROTUNES, IF THIS AIN'T LOVE, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, COB USD $2.62 Buy It Now 18h 31m
Hanson : THINKING OF YOU + IF ONLY 2x CD Singles Lot USD $5.99 Buy It Now 18h 41m
Five : DON'T WANNA LET YOU GO + IF YA GETTIN' DOWN 2x Enhanced CD Singles Lot USD $5.99 Buy It Now 18h 42m
Travis Haddix - If I'm One You're One, Too - The Blues USD $19.30 Buy It Now 19h
Barton, Eileen - If I Knew You Were Comin' 2-CD - Pop Vocal USD $20.96 Buy It Now 19h 10m
DOO WOP 45 THE CRUISERS IF I KNEW ON V-TONE VG+ ORIGINAL 2ND PRESS USD $20.00 Buy It Now 19h 11m
RUTHIE MORRISSEY-BONNIE MARY,ARGYLE/IF U EVER GO OVER 2 IRELAND AVOCA 5037 VG 45 USD $7.98 Buy It Now 19h 22m
Chicago 2x45s 25 Or 6 To 4 / If She Would Have Been Faithful Picture Sleeve USD $1.99 Buy It Now 20h 3m
Meat Loaf - x 2 12" Singles - 'If You Really Want To' & 'Razors Edge' USD $7.34 [0 bids]
WHAM IF YOU WERE THERE (BEST OF WHAM) NEW..SEE PIC 2 FOR TRACKS. USD $8.82 Buy It Now 21h 10m
THE KORGIS - If I Had You - 1979 Rialto label 2-track 7" vinyl single USD $7.34 Buy It Now 21h 20m
If I Could Tell You by Yanni (CD, Oct-2000, 2 Discs, Virgin) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
London Grammar If You Wait 2xLP sealed vinyl USD $29.98 Buy It Now 22h 6m
JARS OF CLAY - 2 CD Set, "IF I Left the Zoo" and "Redemption Songs" USD $12.99 Buy It Now 22h 31m
What If [CD 2], Lightning Seeds, Very Good Maxi, Single USD $1.46 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS "IF YOU TOLERATE THIS... " CASSETTE SINGLE (2 TRACKS) USD $4.42 Buy It Now 1 day
If These Walls Could Talk 2 HBO Sndtrk CD 2002 NEW Lauper, Etheridge, Moby, etc. USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STATUS QUO if you can't stand the heat LP PS EX/EX 1/1 2/1 USD $13.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Mica Paris If I Love U 2 Nite Written By Prince Audio CD USD $36.72 Buy It Now 1 day
GRACE KENNEDY, IF I'M WRONG ABOUT YOU I'M WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING, VG/VG, 2 Track USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC - IF YOU WANT BLOOD YOU'VE GOT IT ORIGINAL GERMANY ATLANTIC CD 781 553-2 USD $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GAME MUSIC Lovers If I Fall in Love... 2 JAPAN Soundtrack CD OMCP-29 NEW USD $62.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GAME MUSIC Lovers If I Fall in Love... 2 JAPAN Soundtrack CD OMCP-29 USD $50.45 Buy It Now 1 day
1927 *IF I COULD/NOT TALKING* AUSSIE 2trk 7" 1988 L@@K USD $4.79 [0 bids]
NEW If This Is Heaven [digipak] [2/10] by Ann Peebles CD (CD) Free P USD $17.31 Buy It Now 1 day
WW2 ITMA - JACK TRAIN 78 - THE LORD OF THE BLOOMING MANOR - I DON'T MIND IF I DO USD $19.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawthorne Heights - If Only You Were Lonely (2 X CD) USD $2.90 Buy It Now 1 day
HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUENOTES, IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7 USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
HARRY SECOMBE, IF I RULED THE WORLD, G/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Company Sleeve, USD $2.63 Buy It Now 1 day
HARRY SECOMBE, IF I RULED THE WORLD, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7 " Single, Company Sleeve, USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW If 2/if: Live In Liverpool CD (CD) Free P&H USD $22.45 Buy It Now 1 day
PRINCE / MAYTE If I Love U 2Night CD single USD $1.46 [1 bids]
PRINCE / MAYTE If I Love U 2Night Remix CD single USD $16.92 [5 bids]
The Pogues If I Should Fall from Grace with God CD WEA 2292-44493-2 USD $5.87 Buy It Now 1 day
HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS, IF THIS IS IT, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS, IF THIS IS IT, VG/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Slee USD $2.60 Buy It Now 1 day
If - If 2 + If Live In Liverpool (NEW CD+DVD) USD $14.33 Buy It Now 1 day
IF?, OPEN UP YOUR HEAD, G/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, MCA, MCS1583, USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
IF?, SATURDAYS ANGELS (1), G/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, MCA, MCA146 USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
IF?, SATURDAYS ANGELS (2), VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, MCA, MCA 1 USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
2PAC cd single promo cardsleeve I WONDER IF HEAVEN GOT A GHETTO USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Hawthorne Heights : If Only You Were Lonely (2CDs) (2006) USD $3.96 Buy It Now 1 day
J.J., IF THIS IS LOVE (1), VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, CBS, 65660 USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
J.J., IF THIS IS LOVE (2), VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, CBS, 65660 USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
KYLIE MINOGUE CONFIDE IN ME NOTHING CAN STOP US IF YOU DON'T LOVE ME 1994 CD2 USD $7.34 Buy It Now 1 day
IF [DIGIPAK] [MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE] [2 DISCS] NEW CD USD $19.31 Buy It Now 1 day
THE VACCINES - IF YOU WANNA - 2 TRACK PROMO CD SINGLE USD $2.93 Buy It Now 1 day
JEROME, IF YOU WALK OUT THAT DOOR (DEMO), G/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Slee USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1 day
DODGY IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME POSTER + 7" VINYL BUY 2 GET ONE FREE USD $5.87 Buy It Now 1 day
If God Will Send His Angels By U2 On Audio CD Album 1998 Very Good USD $4.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Taffy 7" vinyl single record If You Feel It UK YARD2 DANCEYARD 1988 USD $14.92 Buy It Now 1 day
Sheryl Crow If It Makes You Happy UK CD single (CD5 / 5") 581885-2 A USD $13.97 Buy It Now 1 day
HARRY SECOMBE, IF I RULED THE WORLD / LOOK INTO YOUR HEART. 2 PICKWICK TRACKS USD $1.46 [0 bids]
Crystal Waters Say... If You Feel Alright CD single (CD5 / 5") UK 574291-2 USD $13.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Hundred Reasons If I Could - Part 1 & 2 EEC 2-CD single (Double CD single) USD $11.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Robert Plant 2LP Rare 1988 "if You Can't Take A Joke USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Enya Only If... USA CD single (CD5 / 5") 17266-2 WARNER BROS 1997 USD $24.27 Buy It Now 1 day
A WHISPER IN THE NOISE/IF THOUSANDS - 2D (LIM.EDITION) CD NEW+ USD $21.37 Buy It Now 1 day
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD - 2 PROMO CD SINGLES - JAMES DEAN/IF YOU'RE NOT THE ONE USD $2.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Dandy Warhols 2-CD single (Double CD single) Not If You Were The Last J... UK USD $17.87 Buy It Now 1 day
OUTLAWS "IF DREAMS CAME TRUE" / "HEARIN' MY HEART TALKIN'" 2 x PROMO 7" USD $6.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Hanson If Only UK CD single (CD5 / 5") 562750-2 MERCURY USD $17.65 Buy It Now 1 day
Lemonheads 2-CD single (Double CD single) If I Could I'd Tell You UK USD $17.87 Buy It Now 1 day
King Of The Hill If I Say + Patch / Sealed 7" vinyl single record UK KOTHS2 USD $16.12 Buy It Now 1 day
LP 2
~ USD $13.06
CD if4
~ USD $14.20

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Review by apps79
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars Released in the same year as their first album in 1970, `If 2' saw English jazz/fusion/rock band If deliver a follow-up album that was just as good, if just a little more instantly approachable than the debut. One of the things that makes this album such a winner is that, in addition to the obviously top-notch musical displays and improvisational skills of the musicians, the band have crafted those elements to a selection of accessible and melodic tunes, without really being any more overly commercial. Soul, psych, funk, jazz and heavy R&B styles are all blended seamlessly with a hard rocking sound, with thrilling instrumental runs carefully executed between strong vocal passages. Oh, and it also happens to groove like a mutha-effer the whole time!!

`Your City is Falling' opens the album in gutsy and up-tempo fashion. A catchy tune sung with bellowing conviction by lead singer J.W Hodgkinson is powered by Dennis Elliott's snappy drumming, John Mealing's nimble Hammond organ ripples and relentless dual saxophone attacks from Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey. The scathing lyric seem to be condemning watching the city you love change around you, the line "Half religious mockeries that robbed the man who died" is especially vivid, and the repeated exasperated mention of "All the restaurants?" just drives the message home perfectly. The gently melancholic `Sunday Sad' is psychedelic and drowsy, with lovely dreamy flute giving way to Terry Smith's Spanish-style slow-burn guitar solo in the middle that bubbles under and eventually erupts with lusty splintering fire, Jim Richardson's chasing bass stalking the whole time. `Tarmac T. Pirate' (check out the full nonsense title!) is a compact shorter vocal rocker dominated by Hodkinson, but the whole band offering quick little instrumental fills around him throughout.

`I couldn't Write and Tell You' opens the second side, with relentless bass, confident sax blaring and nimble jazzy guitar licks that turn into a psychedelic storm, but a sympathetic heartfelt restrained vocal in the middle over wistful flute is a nice break. `Shadows and Echoes' is a smooth soul ballad, showing that the band was equally convincing on slower, thoughtful numbers as the high energy ones. Reflective flute, lovely harmonies, a warm croon from Hodgkinson and Terry's unexpected nimble-fingered fretboard run in the center is the highlight. `I believe this girl's about to fly...' declares J.W on closer `A Song For Elsa', and fly it damn well does! It's a honking R&B stomper with a roaring vocal, furious propulsive instrumental jamming that alternates with smoky bluesy sax ruminations.

Especially worthwhile is the recent Repertoire Records CD/DVD reissue. Not only is the main album sounding absolutely wonderful, but a short bonus DVD of live vintage footage from 1971 is included. While visually it's fairly average quality, the energy of the live performance from the band is intoxicating, and, not surprising to discover, singer J.W Hodgkinson is a stocky mountain of a man, performing with power and finesse. Several of the tracks from `If 2' are performed, and it's interesting to note just how tightly written they are, as they're not all that different from the studio versions, just with a little added urgency the live environment brings.

Running just over 35 minutes, there's not enough time for any filler material to emerge, as `If 2' races through a range of fusion styles and sounds, expertly played by a bunch of top- notch musicians. It's one of the damn coolest albums in my collection, and just as special to me as If-offshoot Zzebra's second album `Panic', and it never fails to lift my mood. It's been in my collection for some years now, and after dozens upon dozens of listens, it still sounds like sheer musical perfection to my ears!

Five stars.

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I am such an ass! Going through 45 years without hearing something as marvelous as British jazz-rock legends IF is a crying shame. If I only knew IF! LOL. So what did it take to get me up to speed after such a long period of inertia? A stupendous review by my Aussie music mate Michael reminded me that I had been missing out on something quite delicious in view of my profound adoration of Nucleus, Soft Machine, Isotope, Traffic, Sunbirds, Wigwam and even Tasavallan Presidentti! I was perhaps misguided in hearing comments about similarities with Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears , both of which are not exactly in my range of goodies.

I opted for the deluxe DVD/CD package of the IF "2" release, a beauty that has a live DVD recording as well as the studio effort, all nicely put together with an amazing booklet, artwork etc?I was already familiar with keyboard whiz John Mealing (who later graduated to Passport and the Strawbs) as well as accomplished drummer Dennis Elliott who of course became a famous Foreigner. Dick Morrisey is a sax legend, so I knew enough to be at least conscious of their existence but the big surprise for me was guitarist Terry Smith, a wicked stylist with amazing technique a la Steve Cropper (blues and a distinct RnB country feel), a rock solid bass player in Jim Richardson and a real cool vocalist in J.W. Hodgkinson. I had never heard of these three, so I was in for a thrill. Though this is late 60s music , it stills smokes quite brightly and is a joy ride from beginning to end, it got me thinking that we would need some upbeat stuff like this in our currently apathetic/doom-laden culture. (Sorry Pharell but "Happy" is not quite enough to heal the world).

Things begin in radiant fashion with a sprightly "Your City is Falling", Hodgkinson grabbing the mike stand and showing who is the boss, while the lads pummel mightily in the background. The mood is balmy, warm and inviting, a really faultless opening salvo that sets the tone perfectly.

An extended platform for improvisation is the 8 minute+ "Sunday Sad", a Spanish guitar motif finds itself escorted by a flute caress which then quickly merges into a slick rambler that fumes, smokes, smolders and rages with torrid passion, fueled by the loaded double brass assault of Quincy and Morrissey on saxophones and another fine vocal performance by J.W. Bassist Richardson carves some manic grooves while Terry Smith does a splendid job on his axe, a gritty and sulphurous affair that is just awe-inspiring. Mealing's grumpy organ is shoved along by Elliott's sturdy drumming and lo and behold, this is such exhilarating music!

The Brits love their weird song titles (hello Canterbury lads) and "Tarmac T and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" (what year? 1969, hmmm, pretty racy, wot?) certainly qualifies, a bluesy trippy ditty with a manic vocal that has a definite Traffic/BST feel, spread-eagled by a sick sax flirting overtly with the fuzzy wuzzy organ (that is innuendo-laden wordplay for you), sensual and sexual jazz-rock with some serious soul.

Driving your vintage MG or Triumph Spitfire, propelled by a bass-mad "I Couldn't Write and Tell You", gives the music a down to earth meaning, surprising the listener with inimitable genius, a flute from nowhere, a consistently believable vocal delivery , a solid beat and some glittering solos all within its 8 minute sinews. Terry Smith glitters on his axe, a blistering technique that nears supersonic speeds, frenzied and acidic. Wow! Has anyone noticed where my jaw landed? Yeah, baby!

Smooth? You want some velvety class , well it does not get creamier than the suave breeze heard on "Shadows and Echoes", sounding like some jazz toone from the 50s movies, a cool cat skinning his brushes, upright bass bopping along while the crisp and clear guitar does some marauding. A wide mouthed vocal again does the trick, versatile and groovy.

Hey, you wanna another oddball song title, look no further than the quirky "A Song For Elsa, Three Days Before her 23rd Birthday", I mean, C'mon! Doggone it when Brits can out soul the Yanks, and that's including the 'brothers'! At least in musical terms, British blues and jazz bands of the 60s and 70s certainly played a part in emancipating white crowds into getting off on black music (Hey, Jimi, How ya doin'?). Here Quincy and Morrissey play majestically, a pure joy and total marvel to witness and revel in.

What a great record and I can bury my ignorance now by pursuing the entire catalogue!

Merci, Michael!

4.5 Rudyard Kiplings

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"