IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
Tatana Ft. Joanna (4) - If I Could 12" US $10.95 Buy It Now 30m 6s
PAUL BLEY - IF WE MAY NEW CD US $24.93 Buy It Now 30m 45s
Roy Orbison Crawling Back / If You Can't Say Something Nice 45 RPM MGM US $4.99 [0 bids]
30m 50s
VERN GOSDIN - IF YOU'RE GONNA DO ME WRONG DO IT RIGHT NEW CD US $14.93 Buy It Now 32m 47s
Belle Barth If I Embarrass You Tell Your Friends LP Adult Comedy After Hours US $4.00 Buy It Now 32m 53s
OC Smith m- promo 7 Don't Misunderstand / If You Touch Me US $5.49 Buy It Now 33m 1s
John Cougar Nothin' Matters And What If It Did Album LP US $19.95 Buy It Now 34m 52s
Vinyl AC/DC If You Want Blood You've Got It New Factory Sealed Ships DBL Boxed US $15.19 Buy It Now 38m 24s
LONDON GRAMMAR - IF YOU WAIT (180GM) NEW VINYL US $32.19 Buy It Now 38m 27s
45 Record THE FOUR ACES - IF YOU CAN DREAM - NM US $2.99 Buy It Now 38m 46s
IF/THEN: A NEW MUSICAL / O.B.C.R. NEW CD US $18.28 Buy It Now 39m 33s
Distance, The - If You Lived Here You'd Be... NEW CD US $16.36 Buy It Now 40m 47s
Stephanie Mills: If I Were Your Woman Vinyl LP Record Album US $1.00 [0 bids]
41m 26s
BOBBY DARIN/if a man answers/ custom 45 ep US $5.99 Buy It Now 41m 42s
CAROLYN FRANKLIN - IF YOU WANT ME (UK) NEW CD US $29.73 Buy It Now 42m 53s
CARAVAN - IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN ID DO IT ALL OVER NEW VINYL US $26.79 Buy It Now 43m 56s
Pete Droge - If You Don't Love Me - 1994 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $8.98 Buy It Now 45m 46s
Ted Nugent - If You Can't Lick 'Em... Lick 'Em LP US $10.95 Buy It Now 47m 39s
Perry Como on 78 rpm RCA Victor 20-1945: If I'm Lucky/One More Vote US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 7s
(ED212) The Shapeshifters, If In Doubt Go Out - 2006 DJ CD US $3.97 Buy It Now 50m 9s
BOBBY DARIN - Moritat (Mack The Knife) / If I Were A Carpenter, 7" US $11.99 [0 bids]
50m 31s
Zero Zone - Art If - Djax Up Beats - 1993 #286184 US $6.47 Buy It Now 50m 56s
R&B 45 w/PS JIMMY SOUL If You Wanna Be Happy - Don't Release Me NM- 3305 EB61 US $14.99 Buy It Now 51m 10s
Peace Pipe 7 If You Do What You Gotta Do /Here We Go Ag US $5.49 Buy It Now 52m 23s
If You (Lovin' Me) [CD/Vinyl Single] [Single] by Silk ('90s R&B) (CD,... US $2.50 Buy It Now 53m 27s
(ED263) Candy Jay, If I Were You - DJ CD US $4.85 Buy It Now 54m 39s
45 GORDON LIGHTFOOT - If You Could Read My Mind w/ Reprise strip - VG+ audio US $3.49 [0 bids]
58m 9s
Come with Me If You Want to Live by Goblin Cock (Vinyl, Feb-2009, Robcore) US $9.95 [0 bids]
1h
JOHNNY HODGES VOCALION 4046 IF YOU WERE IN MY PLACE VG US $3.00 [1 bids]
Jimmy & Carol Owens--If My People 1974 Vinyl LP 2nd Chapter Of Acts Pat Boone US $13.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
BOBBY DARIN 1962 RECORD Four Songs EP Scripto TWO COPIES for 1 If a Man Answers US $9.99 [0 bids]
If Trees Could Talk, Bluiett, Willis, Good US $8.57 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Prince Phillip Mitchell ex mono/stereo 7 If it Aint Lov US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 17m
If We Ever Needed the Lord Before, Williams, Marion, Good US $7.39 Buy It Now 1h 17m
LES BROWN If I Had The Money CAPITOL F3655 PROMO US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
**FREDDY FENDER LP" IF YOUR EVER IN TEXAS" ABC 1976 ** US $2.99 [0 bids]
Reba McEntire - What If It's You - Music CD - Very Good Condition US $1.39 [0 bids]
Late Nite Wars - Who's Going To Miss You If You Go? NEW CD US $16.36 Buy It Now 1h 25m
BOBBY BLAND - Duke 432 -If You Could Read My Mind / Driftin' Blues - SOUL VG/VG+ US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
BO'FLYERS If Saturday could only last 1976 NM dj GLAM - BAY CITY ROLLERS LISTEN US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
(Virgin) LENNY KRAVITZ "If You Can't Say No" BT / ZERO 7 rmxs DJ vinyl Listen!! US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
DEE CLARK - If It Wasn't For Love - ABNER SOUL 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
LaVERN BAKER - If You Love Me - SOUL45 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Mindy McCready IF I DON'T STAY THE NIGHT CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
? SLIM HARPO got love if you want it LP Jay Miller Sessions Vol 20 Flyright MONO US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
2pac "I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto" Vinyl Single US $9.00 [0 bids]
cd-album, Geri Halliwell - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster, EU US $10.80 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Heart by Heart - CD - Includes "If Looks Could Kill" US $2.00 [0 bids]
Frankie Laine 10" 78 rpm Record -Sleepy Ol' River and If I Were A Bell -Mercury US $3.95 Buy It Now 1h 40m
BILLIE T'aint Nobody's Business If I Do 12" single Fleetwood FW 008 SEALED US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Used CD: Jeff Foxworthy: You Might Be A Redneck If....; 1993; NM; BMG Rec Club US $1.49 Buy It Now 1h 43m
If You Have Ghosts, by John Pursley III (Poetry) New US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Gerry Mulligan - If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
PARTY A'LA MAZON, "IF IT AINT" b/w "BAD PERSON"on U.K RELEASE 12"VINYL in VGC. US $1.22 [0 bids]
DON ANGELO - " If You Want Good " SEALED!!! ORIGINAL INTELITEC DIGI ROOTS 12" US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Lenny Kravitz - If I Could Fall in Love CD Single Blue Crush Kate Bosworth US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Jeepster - What If All The Rebels Died? NEW CD Digi US $16.36 Buy It Now 1h 47m
FRANKLYN MACCORMACK- THEME FROM "LOVE STORY"/IF YOU GO US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Villains by The Verve Pipe CD Rock Alternative Music Barely (If At All) Villians US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Chris Thompson: If You Remember Me 45 VG++ Canada US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
The Fatback Band single - The Booty / If That's The Way You Want It US $6.31 Buy It Now 1h 55m
BAD COMPANY IF YOU NEEDED SOMEBODY & 100 MILES CASSETTE SINGLE ATCO 1990 VINTAGE US $1.00 [0 bids]
Cheech and Chong - Big Bambu and Jeff Foxworthy - ..redneck if / Comedy Classics US $1.99 [0 bids]
2h
Barry Manilow - If I Should Fall In Love Again sealed 1981 Arista vinyl US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h
BILLY BARNES - IF U BUT KNEW - UNITED ARTISTS - WLP 45 US $14.95 Buy It Now 2h
Wilson Pickett - If You Need Me NEW CD US $8.40 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Nemas - If We Could Play Faster We... NEW CD US $18.63 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Underground Hip Hop LP Solillaquists of Sound As If We Existed ANTI Label Rap 56 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Anne Feeney - If I Can't Dance US $10.87 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Weed - If Only U Could See 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 2h 11m
If I Had Known-recordings 1980-1996 - Greg Brown New & Sealed Compact Disc Free US $28.91 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Willie Clayton - If Your Loving Wasn't Enough To Keep Me NEW CD US $18.63 Buy It Now 2h 14m
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN - 1974 - VG - If You love Me(let me know) & Brotherly Love US $0.99 [0 bids]
Warrior Ft. Imogen Bailey - If U Want Me 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 2h 15m
ARETHA JIMMY LEE AND IF YOU NEED MY LOVE TONIGHT 45 RECORD AND SLEEVE US $7.19 Buy It Now 2h 17m
HUUN-HUUR-TU-If I D Been Born An Eagle CD NEW US $17.42 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Concordia University Wind S...-If Thou Be Near CD NEW US $10.86 Buy It Now 2h 19m
SOUTHER,J.D.-IF THE WORLD WAS YOU VINYL LP NEW US $30.89 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Two If By Sea-Two If By Sea - Translations CD NEW US $12.17 Buy It Now 2h 19m
AMERICAN PEARL 'If We Were Kings' 1 song radio DJ cd 2001 NEW! US $0.99 [0 bids]
If I Ever Fall In Love Groove's Bedroom Radio Edit / If I Ever Fall In Love Orig US $13.72 Buy It Now 2h 29m
THE ROLLING STONES Got Live If You Want It MONO LP London LL 3493 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Black Oak Arkansas,If An Angel Came To See You,1972 Atco Press.VG Cond. US $4.99 [0 bids]
PROMO RECORD Firefly "If You Ever Stopped Callin' Me Back" A&M #1798 nm 45 US $4.60 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Linda Clifford If My Friends Could See Me Now UK 7" vinyl single record K17163 US $12.07 Buy It Now 2h 36m
DEBORAH ALLEN "IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
BONNIE TYLER Japan 7"/45 IF YOU WERE A WOMAN(AND I WAS) US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
JOE HINTON-BACK BEAT 532 R&B SOUL 45 IF YOU LOVE ME US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 41m
John Lee Hooker - If Serve You Right To Suffer [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 2h 45m
If You Wait REDUCED PRICE by London Grammar (Vinyl, Mar-2014, Columbia (USA)) US $19.98 Buy It Now 2h 47m
45 RECORD CHICAGO : IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW , TOGETHER AGAIN US $0.99 [0 bids]
CHRIS THOMPSON & NIGHT If You Remember Me / You Ain't Pretty Enough 45 NM NOS PS US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Record Album 33 rpm Folk Peter Paul and Mary If I Had A Hammer WS 1449 1962 US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
BIG JOHN HAMILTON. IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A FOOL.DJ 45.both sides same. N. SOUL US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
John Cougar Nothin' Matters And What If It Did lp 12" vinyl record mellencamp US $2.00 [0 bids]
WEBB PIERCE.IF YOU WERE ME / LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. 45. IMPORT JAPAN. US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Martin King 45 If I Ever Loved Again - Belgian Synth Wave - HEAR US $9.95 [0 bids]
Rare Soul 12" single ANNE G. If She Knew 1989 Atlantic 0-86445 Near Mint US $5.00 [0 bids]
PATTI LA BELLE If You Asked Me To (dub/orig/instro) 12" US $5.07 Buy It Now 3h 12m
SHAKATAK if you could see me now / fly the wind 12" RECORD UK US $9.75 Buy It Now 3h 14m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132957) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154432) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458567) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#1039646) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"