IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

If 2If 2
Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006
2 by IF (2014-05-04)2 by IF (2014-05-04)
Imports
GAME MUSIC Lovers If I Fall in Love... 2 JAPAN Soundtrack CD OMCP-29 NEW USD $68.73 Buy It Now 43m 57s
GAME MUSIC Lovers If I Fall in Love... 2 JAPAN Soundtrack CD OMCP-29 USD $50.45 Buy It Now 44m 19s
Dave Clark Five 2 7" Epic 45s Catch Us If You Can At The Scene FREE US SHIPPING USD $14.25 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Poison Flesh & Blood 1990 US Cassette - discounted shipping if you buy 2 or more USD $0.75 [0 bids]
USD $1.00 Buy It Now
If2 If Audio CD USD $19.14 Buy It Now 5h 45m
Iron Maiden If Washington Should Fail 2cd USD $40.00 [0 bids]
U2 If This Were A Radio It Would Sound L... 3-CD (Triple CD) USA promo USD $35.35 Buy It Now 7h 59m
WW2 ITMA - JACK TRAIN 78 - THE LORD OF THE BLOOMING MANOR - I DON'T MIND IF I DO USD $17.70 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Hawthorne Heights - If Only You Were Lonely (2 X CD) USD $2.68 Buy It Now 9h 14m
KYLIE MINOGUE : 2 AUSTRALIAN Cassingles - WHERE THE WILD ROSES & IF YOU WERE USD $11.24 [0 bids]
If God Will Send His Angels [CD 1], U2, Very Good Maxi, Single USD $1.35 Buy It Now 12h 14m
Danny Wood If This is Freedom (I want Out) US 45 PROMO London 242 2:52 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 12h 50m
The Pogues If I Should Fall from Grace with God CD WEA 2292-44493-2 USD $4.35 Buy It Now 13h 4m
If - If 2 + If Live In Liverpool (NEW CD+DVD) USD $12.59 Buy It Now 13h 13m
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD - 2 PROMO CD SINGLES - JAMES DEAN/IF YOU'RE NOT THE ONE USD $2.71 Buy It Now 13h 30m
THE VACCINES - IF YOU WANNA - 2 TRACK PROMO CD SINGLE USD $2.71 Buy It Now 13h 37m
Hawthorne Heights : If Only You Were Lonely (2CDs) (2006) USD $3.96 Buy It Now 14h 9m
KYLIE MINOGUE CONFIDE IN ME NOTHING CAN STOP US IF YOU DON'T LOVE ME 1994 CD2 USD $6.80 Buy It Now 14h 52m
If [Digipak] [Mindless Self Indulgence] [2 discs] New CD USD $16.17 Buy It Now 15h 16m
M&S Presents Salsoul Nugget (If You Wanna) - 2x 12" EX/EX - dance floor filler USD $10.89 [0 bids]
A WHISPER IN THE NOISE/IF THOUSANDS - 2D (LIM.EDITION) CD NEW+ USD $22.49 Buy It Now 17h 41m
OUTLAWS "IF DREAMS CAME TRUE" / "HEARIN' MY HEART TALKIN'" 2 x PROMO 7" USD $6.12 Buy It Now 18h 2m
1997 - 2PAC - I WONDER IF HEAVEN GOT A GHETTO - JIVE ORIGINAL PRESSING - PROMO USD $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 26m
Travis Haddix - If I'm One You're One, Too - The Blues USD $23.59 Buy It Now 18h 30m
Eileen Barton - If I Knew You Were Comin' 2-CD - Pop Vocal USD $25.52 Buy It Now 18h 31m
What If by Lonely Kings (CD, Aug-2000, 2 Discs, Fearless Records) USD $0.95 [0 bids]
MANIC STREET PREACHERS - If You Tolerate This Children - CD Single Pt2 - 1999 USD $2.66 Buy It Now 20h 16m
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN If Not For You UK Issue 2 Track 7" Single 1971 PYE 7N25543 USD $1.35 [0 bids]
DON WILLIAMS I Wouldn't Want To Live If You Didn't Love Me/Atta Way 2 Go 45 USD $3.49 Buy It Now 20h 28m
IF - IF 2 - CD 6 TRACKS CLASSIC ROCK & POP NEW+ USD $17.31 Buy It Now 20h 45m
2PAC - I WONDER IF HEAVEN GOT A GHETTO (12") 1997!!! RARE!!! ? USD $13.49 Buy It Now 21h 28m
Lone Justice I Found Love 2x7" Geffen GEF18F EX/EX 1987 I Found Love/If You Don' USD $15.67 Buy It Now 21h 34m
Mark Kozelek - If You Want Blood - 2x LP Vinyl USD $75.00 [0 bids]
IF, IF2, 1970, ALL PLAYS GREAT, VERY GOOD+ CONDITION USD $20.43 [0 bids]
(-0-) MICA PARIS IF I LOVE U 2 NITE 12" SINGLE WRITTEN BY PRINCE (-0-) USD $6.74 Buy It Now 22h 39m
AC/DC-IF YOU WANT BLOOD-LP VG+/EX/K 50532/A2 -B2 PORKY PECKO/1978 USD $17.03 Buy It Now 22h 42m
SLEEPING WITH SIRENS IF YOU WERE A MOVIE...TWBYS VINYL NEW SEALED #2 Exc USD $9.99 [1 bids]
LADY SAW Sweet Thing / If Him Lef / Sex 2 x 12" DOUBLES dancehall VG+ / EX USD $7.95 Buy It Now 23h 27m
If You Wait [2LP] - London Grammar (Double Vinyl DELUXE w/3 Bonus Songs, 2014) USD $23.95 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Could Do It All Over Again - Caravan USD $14.42 Buy It Now 1 day
STANKY BROWN GROUP 2 MINT SEALED RECORDS!!! S/T & IF THE LIGHTS DON'T GET YOU USD $11.25 Buy It Now 1 day
NM 12"~ALTITUDE~If You Believe~[Radio Edit 1~Edit 2~Instrumental]~[1991~BAHIA] USD $3.97 Buy It Now 1 day
richie Rich, IF...? LP#DEF302-2 (VG)12" USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
2 Radiants 45's - I Got a Girl & If I Only Had You USD $3.99 [0 bids]
JIMMY HELMS - ALWAYS / IF IT WAS ME- DATE 2-1578 USD $10.39 Buy It Now 1 day
LOT OF 2 JOHN COUGAR AMERICAN FOOL/NOTHIN MATTERS & WHAT IF IT DID RIVA PRESSING USD $0.99 [1 bids]
K.D. Lang - If I Were You (+2) [CD Single New] USD $9.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Richard 'Groove' Holmes - If I Had A Hammer/1-2-3 - #442 - Promo USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Elvis Presley & RPO If I Can Dream collector's vinyl 2 LP / CD box set NEW/SEALE USD $76.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Agnetha Fältskog If I Thought You'd Ever... 2-CD single (Double CD single) UK USD $31.03 Buy It Now 1 day
OZARK MT.DAREDEVILS - If U WannaGet to Heaven&Colo.Song. 2 45rpm USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 - IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS / MOFO REMIX 1997 EUROPEAN CASSINGLE BONO USD $68.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Alicia Keys ?- If I Ain't Got You UK 2 Track Maxi CD Single USD $1.36 Buy It Now 1 day
The Dangerous Summer - If You Could Only Keep Me Alive - CD (Hopeless HR695-2) USD $6.74 Buy It Now 1 day
BAND AKA If You Want To Know 12" 2 Track B/w Men Of The Music UK Epic 1983 USD $1.36 [0 bids]
Dane Cook : Harmful If Swallowed (2CDs) (2008) USD $3.88 Buy It Now 1 day
IF - 2 NEW 180g LP SEALED USD $31.27 Buy It Now 1 day
LONDON GRAMMAR - If You Wait - Vinyl (gatefold 2xLP) USD $33.03 Buy It Now 1 day
IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT SING ALONG VOLUME 2 ABC  USD $22.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Gordon Lightfoot 2 Lp's If You Could Read My Mind And Sundown C. 1970s USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KINGS: It's The LCB 2:00-If I Could Believe You 2:30-U.S. 7" 1965 JOX JO-045 DJ USD $348.98 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW Taiwan 2-CD w/BOX+bonus 5-Trk BEYONCE I Am Sasha Fierce 2008 If I Were a Boy USD $9.99 [0 bids]
AS IF- The Channel 4 TV Soundtrack 2-CD (2001) Coldplay/Fragma/Kylie Minogue USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Meat Loaf - x 2 12" Singles - 'If You Really Want To' & 'Razors Edge' USD $8.16 [0 bids]
SCAVENGERS:I Don't Need Her Now 2:21-If's Only So Long-U.S. 7" 1966 Top Dog 2317 USD $198.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next 2 X CD! USD $3.41 Buy It Now 1 day
If 2 Jazz Rock; Prog USD $0.98 [1 bids]
PHASEONE If I Tell U 2xLP NEW VINYL WILLIAMS STREET Deluxe Edition Ambient Downt USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC If You Want Blood # 2 CD Clock with white gift box USD $20.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Crystal Gayle & Gary Morris CD What if We Fall In Love? Warner 9-25507-2 USD $5.00 [0 bids]
OMD UK 7" 2- 45 WE LOVE YOU/(Dub)/IF YOU LEAVE/+1 gatefold edition USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC 2 X Vinyl Albums HIGHWAY TO HELL & IF YOU WANT BLOOD.. 78/79 Bon Scott USD $7.49 [3 bids]
PAMALA STANLEY If Looks Could Kill x2 Promo 12 inch vinyl Mirage 1985 Heart USD $7.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Lee Greenwood If There's Any Justice/This Is My Country Sealed Condition 2 LP USD $4.88 Buy It Now 1 day
(FY2) Betty Curse, Do You Mind (If I Cry)? - 2007 DJ CD USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
Ted Nugent 2-CASSETTES?-If You Can't Lick 'Em.1988-Great Gonzos! The Best 1981 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Chicago 2x45s 25 Or 6 To 4 / If She Would Have Been Faithful Picture Sleeve USD $0.99 Buy It Now 2 days
U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight 12" VINYL SINGLE Sealed 5 TRACKS USD $30.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Rockabilly/Instro RHYTHM ADDICTS-Hot Rod/If You're Square CEE GEE-KILLER 2-SIDER USD $10.95 Buy It Now 2 days
If I Could Tell You by Yanni (CD, Oct-2000, 2 Discs, Virgin) USD $6.50 Buy It Now 2 days
KYLIE MINOGUE - If You Were With Me Now - 1991 UK 2-track 7" Vinyl single USD $47.68 Buy It Now 2 days
If It Ain't The Snow~BAD VUGUM~The Sequel 1991-93 ~2x 45 noise rock Sweetheart USD $7.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Mary Hopkin - If You Love Me ( I Won't Care) / Tell Me Now Good Earth GD 2 USD $2.04 Buy It Now 2 days
STATUS QUO-IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT-LP EX-/N.MINT/9102 027/1Y1 2Y1/1978 UK USD $13.61 Buy It Now 2 days
PURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE If The Shoe Fits + Just Fly + Dance 30 track 3on2 CD SEALED USD $16.34 Buy It Now 2 days
Marry Him If You Dare OST Taiwan Ltd CD+DVD+Jeong Yong Hwa 2-Cards (CNBLUE) USD $26.68 Buy It Now 2 days
Sarah Vaughan - If You Could See Me Now [2 CD Set] USD $5.03 Buy It Now 2 days
GERI HALLIWELL - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster - CD Single - 4 Tracks - 2001-CD2 USD $5.38 Buy It Now 2 days
If - 2 (2014) (NEW CD) USD $12.59 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVE CLARK FIVE lp CATCH US IF YOU CAN uruguay ID# 08878 DIFFERENT COVER ODEON 2 USD $58.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CLAIRE HAMILL - If you'd talk to me - 1985 UK 2-track 7" vinyl single USD $20.43 Buy It Now 2 days
Various Artists-If I Had a Song: The Songs of Pete Seeger Vol. 2 CD NEW USD $16.98 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only Remember My Name CD USA 9 tracks Atlantic 7203-2 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
FABULOUS WUNZ:If I Cry 2:00- Please 1:44-U.S. 7" 1966 Pyramid 6- 6934,N.C.Garage USD $98.98 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID CROSBY ~ "If I Could Only Remember My Name" * 7 1/2 ips reel USD $22.00 Buy It Now 2 days
45 HANK THOMPSON (LOT OF 2) SMOKY THE BAR / IF I LOSE YOU TOMORROW" DOT USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
45 STING (LOT OF 2) "IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THE FREE" USD $4.49 Buy It Now 2 days
ROY HAMILTON "I BELIEVE/If You Are But A Dream" EPIC 9092 (1955) 45 rpm (No. 2) USD $1.00 Buy It Now 2 days
EDDIE HIGGINS TRIO IF DREAMS COME TRUE VOL.2 VENUS TKJV-19139 Japan OBI 200G LP USD $12.00 [4 bids]
Sheryl Crow CD single (CD5 / 5") If It Makes You Happy USA 31458-1875-2 A USD $16.34 Buy It Now 2 days
LP 2
~ USD $13.33
CD if4
~ USD $14.49
More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Review by apps79
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars Released in the same year as their first album in 1970, `If 2' saw English jazz/fusion/rock band If deliver a follow-up album that was just as good, if just a little more instantly approachable than the debut. One of the things that makes this album such a winner is that, in addition to the obviously top-notch musical displays and improvisational skills of the musicians, the band have crafted those elements to a selection of accessible and melodic tunes, without really being any more overly commercial. Soul, psych, funk, jazz and heavy R&B styles are all blended seamlessly with a hard rocking sound, with thrilling instrumental runs carefully executed between strong vocal passages. Oh, and it also happens to groove like a mutha-effer the whole time!!

`Your City is Falling' opens the album in gutsy and up-tempo fashion. A catchy tune sung with bellowing conviction by lead singer J.W Hodgkinson is powered by Dennis Elliott's snappy drumming, John Mealing's nimble Hammond organ ripples and relentless dual saxophone attacks from Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey. The scathing lyric seem to be condemning watching the city you love change around you, the line "Half religious mockeries that robbed the man who died" is especially vivid, and the repeated exasperated mention of "All the restaurants?" just drives the message home perfectly. The gently melancholic `Sunday Sad' is psychedelic and drowsy, with lovely dreamy flute giving way to Terry Smith's Spanish-style slow-burn guitar solo in the middle that bubbles under and eventually erupts with lusty splintering fire, Jim Richardson's chasing bass stalking the whole time. `Tarmac T. Pirate' (check out the full nonsense title!) is a compact shorter vocal rocker dominated by Hodkinson, but the whole band offering quick little instrumental fills around him throughout.

`I couldn't Write and Tell You' opens the second side, with relentless bass, confident sax blaring and nimble jazzy guitar licks that turn into a psychedelic storm, but a sympathetic heartfelt restrained vocal in the middle over wistful flute is a nice break. `Shadows and Echoes' is a smooth soul ballad, showing that the band was equally convincing on slower, thoughtful numbers as the high energy ones. Reflective flute, lovely harmonies, a warm croon from Hodgkinson and Terry's unexpected nimble-fingered fretboard run in the center is the highlight. `I believe this girl's about to fly...' declares J.W on closer `A Song For Elsa', and fly it damn well does! It's a honking R&B stomper with a roaring vocal, furious propulsive instrumental jamming that alternates with smoky bluesy sax ruminations.

Especially worthwhile is the recent Repertoire Records CD/DVD reissue. Not only is the main album sounding absolutely wonderful, but a short bonus DVD of live vintage footage from 1971 is included. While visually it's fairly average quality, the energy of the live performance from the band is intoxicating, and, not surprising to discover, singer J.W Hodgkinson is a stocky mountain of a man, performing with power and finesse. Several of the tracks from `If 2' are performed, and it's interesting to note just how tightly written they are, as they're not all that different from the studio versions, just with a little added urgency the live environment brings.

Running just over 35 minutes, there's not enough time for any filler material to emerge, as `If 2' races through a range of fusion styles and sounds, expertly played by a bunch of top- notch musicians. It's one of the damn coolest albums in my collection, and just as special to me as If-offshoot Zzebra's second album `Panic', and it never fails to lift my mood. It's been in my collection for some years now, and after dozens upon dozens of listens, it still sounds like sheer musical perfection to my ears!

Five stars.

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I am such an ass! Going through 45 years without hearing something as marvelous as British jazz-rock legends IF is a crying shame. If I only knew IF! LOL. So what did it take to get me up to speed after such a long period of inertia? A stupendous review by my Aussie music mate Michael reminded me that I had been missing out on something quite delicious in view of my profound adoration of Nucleus, Soft Machine, Isotope, Traffic, Sunbirds, Wigwam and even Tasavallan Presidentti! I was perhaps misguided in hearing comments about similarities with Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears , both of which are not exactly in my range of goodies.

I opted for the deluxe DVD/CD package of the IF "2" release, a beauty that has a live DVD recording as well as the studio effort, all nicely put together with an amazing booklet, artwork etc?I was already familiar with keyboard whiz John Mealing (who later graduated to Passport and the Strawbs) as well as accomplished drummer Dennis Elliott who of course became a famous Foreigner. Dick Morrisey is a sax legend, so I knew enough to be at least conscious of their existence but the big surprise for me was guitarist Terry Smith, a wicked stylist with amazing technique a la Steve Cropper (blues and a distinct RnB country feel), a rock solid bass player in Jim Richardson and a real cool vocalist in J.W. Hodgkinson. I had never heard of these three, so I was in for a thrill. Though this is late 60s music , it stills smokes quite brightly and is a joy ride from beginning to end, it got me thinking that we would need some upbeat stuff like this in our currently apathetic/doom-laden culture. (Sorry Pharell but "Happy" is not quite enough to heal the world).

Things begin in radiant fashion with a sprightly "Your City is Falling", Hodgkinson grabbing the mike stand and showing who is the boss, while the lads pummel mightily in the background. The mood is balmy, warm and inviting, a really faultless opening salvo that sets the tone perfectly.

An extended platform for improvisation is the 8 minute+ "Sunday Sad", a Spanish guitar motif finds itself escorted by a flute caress which then quickly merges into a slick rambler that fumes, smokes, smolders and rages with torrid passion, fueled by the loaded double brass assault of Quincy and Morrissey on saxophones and another fine vocal performance by J.W. Bassist Richardson carves some manic grooves while Terry Smith does a splendid job on his axe, a gritty and sulphurous affair that is just awe-inspiring. Mealing's grumpy organ is shoved along by Elliott's sturdy drumming and lo and behold, this is such exhilarating music!

The Brits love their weird song titles (hello Canterbury lads) and "Tarmac T and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" (what year? 1969, hmmm, pretty racy, wot?) certainly qualifies, a bluesy trippy ditty with a manic vocal that has a definite Traffic/BST feel, spread-eagled by a sick sax flirting overtly with the fuzzy wuzzy organ (that is innuendo-laden wordplay for you), sensual and sexual jazz-rock with some serious soul.

Driving your vintage MG or Triumph Spitfire, propelled by a bass-mad "I Couldn't Write and Tell You", gives the music a down to earth meaning, surprising the listener with inimitable genius, a flute from nowhere, a consistently believable vocal delivery , a solid beat and some glittering solos all within its 8 minute sinews. Terry Smith glitters on his axe, a blistering technique that nears supersonic speeds, frenzied and acidic. Wow! Has anyone noticed where my jaw landed? Yeah, baby!

Smooth? You want some velvety class , well it does not get creamier than the suave breeze heard on "Shadows and Echoes", sounding like some jazz toone from the 50s movies, a cool cat skinning his brushes, upright bass bopping along while the crisp and clear guitar does some marauding. A wide mouthed vocal again does the trick, versatile and groovy.

Hey, you wanna another oddball song title, look no further than the quirky "A Song For Elsa, Three Days Before her 23rd Birthday", I mean, C'mon! Doggone it when Brits can out soul the Yanks, and that's including the 'brothers'! At least in musical terms, British blues and jazz bands of the 60s and 70s certainly played a part in emancipating white crowds into getting off on black music (Hey, Jimi, How ya doin'?). Here Quincy and Morrissey play majestically, a pure joy and total marvel to witness and revel in.

What a great record and I can bury my ignorance now by pursuing the entire catalogue!

Merci, Michael!

4.5 Rudyard Kiplings

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"