IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

If 2If 2
Original recording
Capitol
Vinyl$19.99 (used)
Janet Jackson Together again 2X12 If (Misspressed) U.K promo rare bundle USD $10.75 [0 bids]
43m 25s
K.D Lang If I were you & Miss Chatelaine 2 mix promo CDs singles Lifted by love USD $9.21 [0 bids]
43m 26s
Geri Halliwell Ride it & Scream if you wanna go fast 2 X 12" U.K bundle USD $7.68 [0 bids]
44m 43s
Sheryl Crow - If It Makes You Happy 2 Track CD Single cdb1136 USD $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Keren Peles - Flood, If This Is Life (2CD's +1 DVD )??? ??? USD $35.85 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Hawthorne Heights : If Only You Were Lonely (2CDs) (2006) USD $3.96 Buy It Now 2h 27m
IF 2 USD $40.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
FIREFLY If You Ever Stopped Calling Me Baby (Parts 1 & 2) / 7" Vinyl A&M VG+ USD $3.82 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Thrice - If We Could See Us Now [DVD] (2CDs) (2005) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Various : As If (2CDs) (2001) USD $3.25 Buy It Now 6h 44m
If You Could Read My Mind - 2 DISC SET - Cameron Carpenter (CD Used Very Good) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
EAST 17 FEATURING GABRIELLE If You Ever CASSETTE 2 Track Smoove Mix B/w Simple S USD $5.59 Buy It Now 11h 53m
DODGY If You're Thinking Of Me CASSETTE 2 Track B/w In A Room (5819984) UK A USD $7.66 Buy It Now 11h 53m
GLEDHILL Remain 10" 2 Track Orange Vinyl In Die Cut Pic Sleeve B/w If You Fall D USD $7.66 Buy It Now 11h 53m
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up CASSETTE 2 Track B/w If You're Happy (loncs258) UK L USD $7.20 Buy It Now 11h 53m
UPSIDE DOWN If You Leave Me Now CASSETTE 2 Track (mcworld4) UK World 1996 USD $5.59 Buy It Now 11h 53m
EUSEBE If Masser Says CASSETTE 2 Track Radio Edit Card Sleeve (tcmama5) UK Mamas USD $7.66 Buy It Now 11h 53m
PREFAB SPROUT If You Don't Love Me CASSETTE 2 Track B/w String Driven Thing Vers USD $7.20 Buy It Now 11h 53m
SUPER FURRY ANIMALS If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You CASSETTE 2 Track In Card USD $5.59 Buy It Now 11h 53m
TONY MOORE If This Is Called Love CASSETTE 2 Track (cvllmc3) UK Cavell 1992 USD $7.66 Buy It Now 11h 53m
WHITNEY HOUSTON AND GEORGE MICHAEL If I Told You That CASSETTE 2 Track B/w I'm Y USD $7.66 Buy It Now 11h 53m
ROD STEWART If We Fall In Love Tonight CASSETTE 2 Track B/w So Far Away (w0380c) USD $7.66 Buy It Now 11h 53m
GAYLE AND GILLIAN Mad If You Don't CASSETTE 2 Track B/w Sacred Kisses (camush1) USD $7.66 Buy It Now 11h 53m
GLORIA ESTEFAN If We Were Lovers CASSETTE 2 Track B/w Con Los Anos Que Me Quedan USD $7.66 Buy It Now 11h 54m
Hawthorne Heights - If Only You Were Lonely (2 X CD) USD $3.02 Buy It Now 12h 14m
Bangles: If she knew... (LTD 2 X 7" GATEFOLD) STUNNING NEAR MINT 7" USD $9.20 Buy It Now 12h 53m
AC/DC If You Want Blood You've Got It UK LP A2 B2 Atlantic 1978 USD $9.20 Buy It Now 14h 56m
If - If 2 + If Live In Liverpool (NEW CD+DVD) USD $19.56 Buy It Now 16h 13m
Best of the 90s CD. 2 Unlimited. Take That. Scorpions. Rednex. Ace If Bass. Nana USD $2.30 Buy It Now 16h 16m
ACDC_If You Want Blood You've Got It_used cassette_ships from AUS!_G2 USD $14.30 Buy It Now 16h 55m
2 THE POGUES TAPES- PEACE AND LOVE-IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD USD $0.77 [0 bids]
Pure Prairie League If The Shoe Fits/Just Fly/Dance 2-CD NEW SEALED Country Rock USD $9.20 Buy It Now 17h 48m
L.I.F.E. Long Cuts & Collabos 2 CD USD $4.20 Buy It Now 18h
If A Band Plays In The Woods By Philistines Jr On Audio CD Pop 2E Brand New USD $4.28 Buy It Now 18h 10m
If You Want It (2-Track) - Omd (CD Single Used Very Good) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 18h 30m
THE CRUISERS IF I KNEW ON V-TONE VG+ ORIGINAL 2ND PRESS USD $20.50 Buy It Now 19h
If I Never See You Again [CD 2]. Wet Wet Wet. Looks hardly played USD $2.30 Buy It Now 19h 20m
U2 - Europe CD single / If God Will Send His Angels + 3 Tracks / Island 572 1892 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 20h 4m
Pure Prairie League If The Shoe Fits Just Fly Dance 2CD 3 album set NEW SEALED USD $9.20 Buy It Now 20h 17m
Sugar Sugar- Bouncing Up (If I Counted The Stars)- Rock2X45 SEALED USD $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 36m
A WHISPER IN THE NOISE/IF THOUSANDS - 2D (LIM.EDITION) CD NEW+ USD $23.46 Buy It Now 20h 41m
Solomon Burke IF YOU NEED ME/ROCK 'N' SOUL (CD, Collectables, 1998) 2 LPs, 1 CD USD $5.00 Buy It Now 20h 42m
2 tracks PROMO cd single JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP WHAT IF I CAME KNOCKING USD $24.99 Buy It Now 20h 55m
OUTLAWS "IF DREAMS CAME TRUE" / "HEARIN' MY HEART TALKIN'" 2 x PROMO 7" USD $13.80 Buy It Now 21h 2m
Eileen Barton - If I Knew You Were Comin' 2-CD - Pop Vocal USD $24.52 Buy It Now 21h 36m
IF 8 track tape lot of 2 jazz rock prog self-titled album & 2 album USD $12.00 [1 bids]
If If (Reissue 2nd Album) - Ollo (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.08 Buy It Now 22h 24m
2 Mindy McCready CD's Ten Thousand Angels 1996 + If I Don't Stay the Night 1997 USD $6.97 Buy It Now 22h 27m
U2 -I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CRAZY TONIGHT DIRTY SOUTH MIX U.S.PROMO CD CS197 USD $36.74 Buy It Now 22h 56m
SPILLER~GROOVE JET (IF THIS AIN'T LOVE)~HOUSE DISCO 2 x 12" *NM ITALIAN PROMO* USD $5.99 [1 bids]
MANIC STREET PREACHERS - If You Tolerate This Children - CD Single Pt2 - 1999 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 23h 16m
Sheryl Crow - (1996). CD. Looks unplayed. 540 590-2. If It Makes You Happy USD $2.69 Buy It Now 23h 39m
IF - IF 2 - CD 6 TRACKS CLASSIC ROCK & POP NEW+ USD $17.79 Buy It Now 23h 44m
Mica Paris ?If I Love U 2 Nite CASSETTE SINGLE RnB/Swing Downtempo Garage House USD $11.52 Buy It Now 1 day
The PRECISIONS if this is love Northern Soul 45 2 sider Drew HEAR USD $9.50 [2 bids]
MIMS - MOVE (IF YOU WANNA) 2TRK PROMO CD SINGLE B15 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Bluetones - 2 CD Singles : "Cut Some Rug" + "If ..." USD $1.52 Buy It Now 1 day
STANKY BROWN GROUP 2 MINT SEALED RECORDS!!! S/T & IF THE LIGHTS DON'T GET YOU USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PAUL MACNEIL - IF IT RAINS +2 [MINI LP] CD (SEALED) USD $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Michelle Williams If We Had Your Eyes/Fire 2 song new CD single Destiny's Child USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Blake Shelton Sure Be Cool If You Did 2013 2 track CD single factory sealed USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JIMMY HELMS - ALWAYS / IF IT WAS ME- DATE 2-1578 USD $10.39 Buy It Now 1 day
MOE BANDY 2pc LOT 45s RECORDS MEXICO WINTER - ONLY IF THERE IS ANOTHER YOU USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IF - IF2+IF LIVE IN LIVERPOOL 2 CD 10 TRACKS CLASSIC ROCK & POP NEW+ USD $17.79 Buy It Now 1 day
2PAC - I WONDER IF HEAVEN GOT A GHETTO (12") 1997!!! RARE!!! ? USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Freddy Fender if you're ever in texas another tear drop falls 2 LPs Vinyl N Mint USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Only If... Enya USA CD single (CD5 / 5") 17266-2 WARNER BROS 1997 USD $31.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Diana Ross If We Hold On Together - Both... UK 2-CD single (Double CD single) USD $33.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Sheryl Crow If It Makes You Happy French CD single (CD5 / 5") 581884-2 A USD $26.50 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 CD single (CD5 / 5") If God Will Send His Angels UK CID684 ISLAND 1997 USD $13.05 Buy It Now 1 day
(Tv Hits) 2 Unlimited : What If Article & Colour Pin Up Poster 11x8 USD $13.82 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Has A Gun Dead Milkmen USA CD single (CD5 / 5") HR-61409-2 USD $20.40 Buy It Now 1 day
The Dangerous Summer - If You Could Only Keep Me Alive - CD (Hopeless HR695-2) USD $7.14 Buy It Now 1 day
Grace If I Could Fly UK CD single (CD5 / 5") 0630-16306-2 PERFECTO 1996 USD $11.32 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 If God Will Send His Angels / Mofo UK 2-CD single (Double CD single) USD $19.41 Buy It Now 1 day
Sugar (90s) If I Can't Change Your Mind UK 2-CD single (Double CD single) USD $34.76 Buy It Now 1 day
Cameron Carpenter - If You Could Read My Mind (NEW 2CD) USD $22.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Dane Cook : Harmful If Swallowed (2CDs) (2008) USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
K.D. Lang Youre Ok , If I Were (2 mixes) Uk 12" USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IF2 self-titled 1970 Capitol SW-676 F4 1st USA Capitol Press Ultrasonic CLEAN USD $16.15 Buy It Now 1 day
LONDON GRAMMAR ?- If You Wait 2xCD deluxe edition in slipcase w/bonus disc RARE USD $15.34 [0 bids]
Hawthorne Heights If Only You Were 2 CD USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
London Grammar - If You Wait +2BOUNS 16 TRACK JAPAN CD OBI SEALED USD $3.99 [0 bids]
IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT SING ALONG VOLUME 2 ABC  USD $21.42 Buy It Now 1 day
KINGS: It's The LCB 2:00-If I Could Believe You 2:30-U.S. 7" 1965 JOX JO-045 DJ USD $348.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Stevie B. Funky Melodie (x2)If You Still Love Me CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
2 Rare Johnny Vyers 45 records Country Music AS IF & IN THE MORNING DJ COPY USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PATTY LABELLE RARE 2 PROMO 2CD IF YOU ASKED ME TO OST JAMES BOND /BACK TO NOW USD $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DASH RIP ROCK Let's go Smoke some pot & If I hide 2TRX SAMPLER PROMO DJ CD singl USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(FY2) Betty Curse, Do You Mind (If I Cry)? - 2007 DJ CD USD $4.59 [0 bids]
2 45 PS NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK PROMO YOU GOT IT THE RIGHT STUFF OMD IF YOU LEAVE USD $7.50 Buy It Now 1 day
WHITNEY HOUSTON & GEORGE MICHAEL - IF I TOLD YOU THAT 2TRK U.S. PROMO CD CS174 @ USD $13.49 Buy It Now 1 day
PHASEONE If I Tell U 2xLP NEW VINYL WILLIAMS STREET Deluxe Edition Ambient Downt USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
TAMI HERT-IF YOU WERE MINE 2-VERSION PROMO CD SINGLE C15 # USD $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
OMD UK 7" 2- 45 WE LOVE YOU/(Dub)/IF YOU LEAVE/+1 gatefold edition USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CAROL SHINNETTE if you 2-Stepper Modern Soul 45 pic sleeve Optune M- HEAR USD $8.50 [1 bids]
LONDON GRAMMAR If You Wait - Shy FX Remix UK one-sided vinyl 7"UNPLAYED MAD009T2 USD $23.01 Buy It Now 2 days
Lee Greenwood If There's Any Justice/This Is My Country Sealed Condition 2 LP USD $6.50 Buy It Now 2 days
If You Feel Like Dancin' - 2 DISC SET - 94 East (2004, CD New) Feat. Prince USD $13.54 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Review by apps79
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars Released in the same year as their first album in 1970, `If 2' saw English jazz/fusion/rock band If deliver a follow-up album that was just as good, if just a little more instantly approachable than the debut. One of the things that makes this album such a winner is that, in addition to the obviously top-notch musical displays and improvisational skills of the musicians, the band have crafted those elements to a selection of accessible and melodic tunes, without really being any more overly commercial. Soul, psych, funk, jazz and heavy R&B styles are all blended seamlessly with a hard rocking sound, with thrilling instrumental runs carefully executed between strong vocal passages. Oh, and it also happens to groove like a mutha-effer the whole time!!

`Your City is Falling' opens the album in gutsy and up-tempo fashion. A catchy tune sung with bellowing conviction by lead singer J.W Hodgkinson is powered by Dennis Elliott's snappy drumming, John Mealing's nimble Hammond organ ripples and relentless dual saxophone attacks from Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey. The scathing lyric seem to be condemning watching the city you love change around you, the line "Half religious mockeries that robbed the man who died" is especially vivid, and the repeated exasperated mention of "All the restaurants?" just drives the message home perfectly. The gently melancholic `Sunday Sad' is psychedelic and drowsy, with lovely dreamy flute giving way to Terry Smith's Spanish-style slow-burn guitar solo in the middle that bubbles under and eventually erupts with lusty splintering fire, Jim Richardson's chasing bass stalking the whole time. `Tarmac T. Pirate' (check out the full nonsense title!) is a compact shorter vocal rocker dominated by Hodkinson, but the whole band offering quick little instrumental fills around him throughout.

`I couldn't Write and Tell You' opens the second side, with relentless bass, confident sax blaring and nimble jazzy guitar licks that turn into a psychedelic storm, but a sympathetic heartfelt restrained vocal in the middle over wistful flute is a nice break. `Shadows and Echoes' is a smooth soul ballad, showing that the band was equally convincing on slower, thoughtful numbers as the high energy ones. Reflective flute, lovely harmonies, a warm croon from Hodgkinson and Terry's unexpected nimble-fingered fretboard run in the center is the highlight. `I believe this girl's about to fly...' declares J.W on closer `A Song For Elsa', and fly it damn well does! It's a honking R&B stomper with a roaring vocal, furious propulsive instrumental jamming that alternates with smoky bluesy sax ruminations.

Especially worthwhile is the recent Repertoire Records CD/DVD reissue. Not only is the main album sounding absolutely wonderful, but a short bonus DVD of live vintage footage from 1971 is included. While visually it's fairly average quality, the energy of the live performance from the band is intoxicating, and, not surprising to discover, singer J.W Hodgkinson is a stocky mountain of a man, performing with power and finesse. Several of the tracks from `If 2' are performed, and it's interesting to note just how tightly written they are, as they're not all that different from the studio versions, just with a little added urgency the live environment brings.

Running just over 35 minutes, there's not enough time for any filler material to emerge, as `If 2' races through a range of fusion styles and sounds, expertly played by a bunch of top- notch musicians. It's one of the damn coolest albums in my collection, and just as special to me as If-offshoot Zzebra's second album `Panic', and it never fails to lift my mood. It's been in my collection for some years now, and after dozens upon dozens of listens, it still sounds like sheer musical perfection to my ears!

Five stars.

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I am such an ass! Going through 45 years without hearing something as marvelous as British jazz-rock legends IF is a crying shame. If I only knew IF! LOL. So what did it take to get me up to speed after such a long period of inertia? A stupendous review by my Aussie music mate Michael reminded me that I had been missing out on something quite delicious in view of my profound adoration of Nucleus, Soft Machine, Isotope, Traffic, Sunbirds, Wigwam and even Tasavallan Presidentti! I was perhaps misguided in hearing comments about similarities with Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears , both of which are not exactly in my range of goodies.

I opted for the deluxe DVD/CD package of the IF "2" release, a beauty that has a live DVD recording as well as the studio effort, all nicely put together with an amazing booklet, artwork etc?I was already familiar with keyboard whiz John Mealing (who later graduated to Passport and the Strawbs) as well as accomplished drummer Dennis Elliott who of course became a famous Foreigner. Dick Morrisey is a sax legend, so I knew enough to be at least conscious of their existence but the big surprise for me was guitarist Terry Smith, a wicked stylist with amazing technique a la Steve Cropper (blues and a distinct RnB country feel), a rock solid bass player in Jim Richardson and a real cool vocalist in J.W. Hodgkinson. I had never heard of these three, so I was in for a thrill. Though this is late 60s music , it stills smokes quite brightly and is a joy ride from beginning to end, it got me thinking that we would need some upbeat stuff like this in our currently apathetic/doom-laden culture. (Sorry Pharell but "Happy" is not quite enough to heal the world).

Things begin in radiant fashion with a sprightly "Your City is Falling", Hodgkinson grabbing the mike stand and showing who is the boss, while the lads pummel mightily in the background. The mood is balmy, warm and inviting, a really faultless opening salvo that sets the tone perfectly.

An extended platform for improvisation is the 8 minute+ "Sunday Sad", a Spanish guitar motif finds itself escorted by a flute caress which then quickly merges into a slick rambler that fumes, smokes, smolders and rages with torrid passion, fueled by the loaded double brass assault of Quincy and Morrissey on saxophones and another fine vocal performance by J.W. Bassist Richardson carves some manic grooves while Terry Smith does a splendid job on his axe, a gritty and sulphurous affair that is just awe-inspiring. Mealing's grumpy organ is shoved along by Elliott's sturdy drumming and lo and behold, this is such exhilarating music!

The Brits love their weird song titles (hello Canterbury lads) and "Tarmac T and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" (what year? 1969, hmmm, pretty racy, wot?) certainly qualifies, a bluesy trippy ditty with a manic vocal that has a definite Traffic/BST feel, spread-eagled by a sick sax flirting overtly with the fuzzy wuzzy organ (that is innuendo-laden wordplay for you), sensual and sexual jazz-rock with some serious soul.

Driving your vintage MG or Triumph Spitfire, propelled by a bass-mad "I Couldn't Write and Tell You", gives the music a down to earth meaning, surprising the listener with inimitable genius, a flute from nowhere, a consistently believable vocal delivery , a solid beat and some glittering solos all within its 8 minute sinews. Terry Smith glitters on his axe, a blistering technique that nears supersonic speeds, frenzied and acidic. Wow! Has anyone noticed where my jaw landed? Yeah, baby!

Smooth? You want some velvety class , well it does not get creamier than the suave breeze heard on "Shadows and Echoes", sounding like some jazz toone from the 50s movies, a cool cat skinning his brushes, upright bass bopping along while the crisp and clear guitar does some marauding. A wide mouthed vocal again does the trick, versatile and groovy.

Hey, you wanna another oddball song title, look no further than the quirky "A Song For Elsa, Three Days Before her 23rd Birthday", I mean, C'mon! Doggone it when Brits can out soul the Yanks, and that's including the 'brothers'! At least in musical terms, British blues and jazz bands of the 60s and 70s certainly played a part in emancipating white crowds into getting off on black music (Hey, Jimi, How ya doin'?). Here Quincy and Morrissey play majestically, a pure joy and total marvel to witness and revel in.

What a great record and I can bury my ignorance now by pursuing the entire catalogue!

Merci, Michael!

4.5 Rudyard Kiplings

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"