IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006
Original recording
Capitol
Vinyl$19.99 (used)
Capitol
Vinyl$25.99 (used)
Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium 2 CD Set Warner Bros. Tell Me Baby If Hey USD $9.53 Buy It Now 1h 43m
London Grammar - If You Wait UK 2CD set Very Limited USD $12.02 [1 bids]
2 LP EP Lot Janet Jackson "If" & Princess "Say I'm Your Number One" USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Sweet Sensation Love Child CD (1990) "If Wishes Came True" [ATCO 7 91307-2] WEA USD $9.24 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Mary Hopkin If You Love Me Tell me Now/Good Earth GD 2 7" single Eurovisioncurio USD $3.74 Buy It Now 4h 16m
DANDY WARHOLS - NOT IF YOU WERE THE LAST JUNKIE ON EARTH CD single CD2 USD $1.49 [0 bids]
ELTON JOHN - If The River Can Bend (UK 4 Trk CD Single Pt 2) USD $4.94 Buy It Now 4h 26m
U2 rare CD promo fat box if god will send prcd77492 EXCELLENT !! USD $7.50 [1 bids]
GHOST-If You Have Ghost;EXCLUSIVE BUNDLE 12"CLEAR MAXI VINYL+2cd FREE SHIPPING USD $150.00 Buy It Now 4h 50m
LOT of 2 R&B 45 RPMs - LaVERNE BAKER - ATLANTIC 2033 & 2048 - "IF YOU LOVE ME" USD $18.00 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Back 2 Back Hits: Worship God/If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something * by... USD $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
agnetha faltskog (abba)if i thought youd ever change your mind 2 cd set rare USD $4.49 [0 bids]
AC/DC - IF YOU WANT BLOOD YOU'VE GOT IT ORIGINAL USA ATLANTIC CD SD 19212-2 USD $18.20 Buy It Now 5h 59m
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Bros.)2 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 6m
2PAC: I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto (4 Mixes) (rap/hip-hop vinyl 12) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 6m
WIZ KHALIFA - O.N.I.F.C 2 X LP NEW SEALED 17 track album The Weeknd 2 Chainz USD $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m
Lot 2 LP Olivia Newton John If You Love Me Let me Know & Physical albums record USD $4.95 Buy It Now 8h 14m
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS If This Is It DOUBLE 7" 4 Track Double Pack Includes 2 L USD $7.87 Buy It Now 8h 26m
? Sting - 12" If You Love Somebody (8 versions on 2 LPs USD $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 33m
Danny Wood If This is Freedom (I want Out) US 45 PROMO London 242 2:52 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 56m
PEOPLE'S CHOICE If You Gonna Do It 7" Part 1 B/w Part 2 UK Philadelphia 1977 USD $7.87 Buy It Now 10h 6m
Buck Owens & His Buckaroos If You Ain't Lovin" You're For Me 12" 2LP VG+/VG++ USD $5.24 [0 bids]
PEOPLE'S CHOICE If You Gonna Do It 7" Promo Part 1 B/w Part 2 UK Philadelphia I USD $7.87 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Michael Nyman: String Quartets 2, 3 & 4; If & Why (CD, Jul-2002, Black Box... USD $14.95 [0 bids]
USD $19.95 Buy It Now
K D LANG-YOU'RE OK/IF I WERE YOU X2MIX 3 TRACKS UK 12" USD $7.98 Buy It Now 10h 40m
GIORGIO MORODER If You Weren't Afraid 7" B/w E=mc2 UK Oasis 1979 USD $9.15 Buy It Now 10h 44m
NONA HENDRYX If Looks Could Kill 7" B/w The Heat Part 2 Pic Sleeve UK Rca 1985 USD $7.87 Buy It Now 11h 19m
2 MATSIKO Children Choir CDs - An African Hole & If Love was Love - Beautiful! USD $1.25 Buy It Now 11h 25m
If-2 Second Album-Capital 1970 LP Ultra Rare IN SHRINK-Played once-MINT- NICE! USD $37.99 [0 bids]
RUBEN STUDDARD What If 2003 US 2-track CD NEW SEALED!!! USD $2.99 Buy It Now 11h 43m
IF- IF 2,CAPITOL,GREEN LABEL,STILL IN SHRINK! PROG ROCK! USD $11.99 [1 bids]
Various Artists-If I Had a Song: The Songs of Pete Seeger Vol. 2 CD NEW USD $17.42 Buy It Now 11h 59m
45 - Prestige Records - Miles Davis - If I Were A Bell Pt 1/If I Were A Bell 2 USD $24.91 [0 bids]
GOODFELLAZ - IF YOU WALK AWAY 2TK PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS158 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 13h 8m
Lightning Seeds : What If [CD 2] (1996) USD $3.25 Buy It Now 13h 19m
2PAC: I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto 12" LP (1997) PROMO RARE JIVE RECORD tupac USD $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 32m
2pac Holla if ya hear me - 12" vinyl record single USD $8.99 Buy It Now 16h
SILK IF YOU CD SINGLE 2 TRACKS IF YOU (LOVIN' ME) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 43m
Ronan Keating : If Tomorrow Never Comes [CD 2] (2002) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 18h 5m
THE MAN I LOVE (1957) & IF YOU GO (1961) PEGGY LEE 2 Original Albums on 1 CD USD $5.11 Buy It Now 19h 53m
2 Bellamy Brothers 45's - You Made Me & If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would USD $2.00 Buy It Now 19h 59m
MIDGE URE 7" VINYL CARD P/S IF I WAS URE 1 1985 SYNTH ULTRAVOX EX (2) USD $4.88 Buy It Now 20h 30m
STARS ON 54_If You Could Read My Mind_used CD-s_CD single_ships frm AUSTRALIA_K2 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 20h 42m
Mayte(CD Single)If I Love U 2 Night----New USD $7.45 Buy It Now 20h 59m
Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth [CD 1] [CD 2] [Single] [Audio CD] D-NEW USD $5.39 Buy It Now 21h 16m
HYBRID-IF I SURVIVE-BREAKS/PROG TRANCE/99-2x12@LISTEN@ USD $12.61 Buy It Now 21h 17m
AS IF- The Channel 4 TV Soundtrack 2-CD (2001) Coldplay/Fragma/Kylie Minogue USD $7.69 Buy It Now 21h 26m
scott fitzgerald yvonne keeley/if i had words UP36333 7" VINYL RECORD EX T2 USD $3.59 Buy It Now 22h 5m
ROBERT PLANT UK 7" 33 1/3 EP IF I WERE A CARPENTER + 2 live cuts USD $9.00 Buy It Now 23h 18m
BERNIE LOWE Orchestra 4:35 If The Bands Were Here Today Vol 2 Cameo C 4007 EX/EX USD $12.01 Buy It Now 23h 21m
BARE JR. - IF YOU CHOOSE ME 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS25 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VERA LYNN:2 LP'S ON 1 CD":1959:'IF I AM DREAMING/SONGS ..: IMPORT CD w/BOOKLET ! USD $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Greg Brown : If I had known (2CDs) (2003) USD $17.78 Buy It Now 1 day
WORLD WAR III~IF THE BOMB FALLS~OUT OF OHIO~DEE;OS~PART 2~~FUNK 45 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LOT OF 2 JACK SCOTT LP RECORDS: The Way I Rock & If Only USD $12.00 [0 bids]
MAYTE -IF EYE LOVE U 2NIGHT (1989 CDSINGLE) *NEW* USD $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
R. KELLY - IF I COULD TURN BACK 2 DISC PROMO DJ CD CS209 USD $18.39 Buy It Now 1 day
STARS ON 54 - IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS379 ## USD $10.39 Buy It Now 1 day
2 X LONDON GRAMMAR 2014 TOUR FLYERS - IF YOU WAIT - HANNAH REID USD $2.25 Buy It Now 1 day
BROKEN RECORDS If The News Makes You Sad 2-trk promo CD USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
94 EAST-If You Feel Like Dancin'-2 x CD Set-2004 German issue-Prince-Brand New USD $17.44 Buy It Now 1 day
BREAD 2xCassette Tapes CLASSIC Psychedelic ROCK Lost Without Your Love IF Jane USD $8.88 Buy It Now 1 day
FATS DOMINO Country Boy / If You Need Me + 2 EP 45 7" 1960 Sweden California USD $9.99 [0 bids]
IF-2 '70 UK ISLAND LP ORIG+INN. UK JAZZ PROGRESSIVE USD $75.13 Buy It Now 1 day
New: JARS OF CLAY - If I Left the Zoo / The Eleventh Hour (Christian Rock) 2 CD USD $7.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Blossom Toes - If Only For A Moment 180 Gr Vinyl 2 LP USD $49.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock NM! 45 THE ENGLISH CONGREGATION If I Could Have My Way on Signpost 7" 2 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Jucifer: If Thine Enemy Hunger CD 2006 Relapse Records RR 6596-2 USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LOVEHORN: If / Part 2 45 (stained/damaged lbl) rare Soul USD $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
IF If 2 '70 Capitol 8 Track Tape VG+ JAZZ ROCK FUSION PROG PROGRESSIVE USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JODY WATLEY - IF I'M NOT IN LOVE - US PROMO 2X12" VINYL USD $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
BLOSSOM TOES: If Only For A Moment LP (UK, 2 LPs, 180 gram reissue, 2011 repres USD $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Could Only Fly by Merle Haggard NEW SEALED CD, Oct-2004 2 Discs Anti (USA) USD $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Matched: Benz : If I Remember : 2CDs With Poster USD $3.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Aphex Twin - ...I Care Because You Do - 2LP Cat No. if12 USD $37.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Beyoncé If I Were A Boy 2 Trk CD Single USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Blues NM! 45 CLARENCE CARTER AND CANDI If You Can't Beat 'Em on Atlantic 2 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
2x7" Singles "NM Wax" Brenda Lee He's My Rock (??? Sample) Japan If You Love Me USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DIRE STRAITS - TWISTING BY THE POOL/2 YOUNG LOVERS/IF I HAD - 7" Picture Sleeve. USD $5.56 Buy It Now 1 day
Bwana If : I Angelica (2CDs) (2010) USD $3.25 Buy It Now 1 day
BOBBY BARE-2 FOR 1 Hit 45's!-"Shame On Me"(1962 Top 10) & "Daddy What If"-VG+/EX USD $4.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Tal Bachman If You Sleep 2 Mix CD Single Promo USD $2.49 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Big James - If It Wasn't 4 Da Blues Jamot Music JM1001-2 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Opera Collection #1 2 CD Set EMI FRANCE Both CDs Perfect As If NEVER Played! USD $16.69 Buy It Now 1 day
KING OF THE HILL If I Say w/ 2 RARE EDITS PROMO DJ CD Single USA trk time 3:72 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Big Bands, Vol. 2: It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing, Vol.2 Cass. USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sting: If on a Winter's Night... [CD & DVD] [Limited Deluxe 2 Disc] SEALED, cut USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Rock 45 THE TEE SET If You Do Believe In Love on Colossus 2 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Jack Johnson - If I Had Eyes 2 Track CD Single USD $6.32 Buy It Now 1 day
2Pac(12" Vinyl P/S)I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto-JIVE-Ex/New (UNPLAYED) USD $19.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Last Days Of April - If You Lose It Japan CD+2BONUS NEW USD $16.14 Buy It Now 1 day
3 COLOURS RED if you ain't got a weapon you'll never get a say Anthology 2 CD USD $7.91 Buy It Now 1 day
PANIC AT THE DISCO 2 X 7" BUT IT'S BETTER IF YOU DO RED VINYL & POSTER BAG 2006 USD $19.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Babybird If You'll Be Mine CD Pt 2 UK 1998 EX Baby Bird USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RONAN KEATING - If Tomorrow Never Comes (UK 4 Tk Enh CD Single Pt 2/Poster) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
If Music is 10 2003-2013 sealed 2 Lp set USD $25.53 Buy It Now 1 day
BEATLES:And I Love Her 2:28-If I Fell 2:18-Japan 7" Odeon Records OR-1145 PSL GF USD $74.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Odyssey (2)- If You're Looking For A Way Out 7" USD $6.01 Buy It Now 1 day
Sue Wilkinson (2)- You Gotta Be A Hustler If You Wanna Get On 7" USD $6.01 Buy It Now 1 day
Rihanna If It's Lovin' That You Want 12" x2 VG++ Promo USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LP 2 ~ USD $18.44
CD if 2 ~ USD $13.56
CD if 3 ~ USD $13.56
CD if4 ~ USD $14.74

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132957) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154432) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458567) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#1039646) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars Released in the same year as their first album in 1970, `If 2' saw English jazz/fusion/rock band If deliver a follow-up album that was just as good, if just a little more instantly approachable than the debut. One of the things that makes this album such a winner is that, in addition to the obviously top-notch musical displays and improvisational skills of the musicians, the band have crafted those elements to a selection of accessible and melodic tunes, without really being any more overly commercial. Soul, psych, funk, jazz and heavy R&B styles are all blended seamlessly with a hard rocking sound, with thrilling instrumental runs carefully executed between strong vocal passages. Oh, and it also happens to groove like a mutha-effer the whole time!!

`Your City is Falling' opens the album in gutsy and up-tempo fashion. A catchy tune sung with bellowing conviction by lead singer J.W Hodgkinson is powered by Dennis Elliott's snappy drumming, John Mealing's nimble Hammond organ ripples and relentless dual saxophone attacks from Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey. The scathing lyric seem to be condemning watching the city you love change around you, the line "Half religious mockeries that robbed the man who died" is especially vivid, and the repeated exasperated mention of "All the restaurants?" just drives the message home perfectly. The gently melancholic `Sunday Sad' is psychedelic and drowsy, with lovely dreamy flute giving way to Terry Smith's Spanish-style slow-burn guitar solo in the middle that bubbles under and eventually erupts with lusty splintering fire, Jim Richardson's chasing bass stalking the whole time. `Tarmac T. Pirate' (check out the full nonsense title!) is a compact shorter vocal rocker dominated by Hodkinson, but the whole band offering quick little instrumental fills around him throughout.

`I couldn't Write and Tell You' opens the second side, with relentless bass, confident sax blaring and nimble jazzy guitar licks that turn into a psychedelic storm, but a sympathetic heartfelt restrained vocal in the middle over wistful flute is a nice break. `Shadows and Echoes' is a smooth soul ballad, showing that the band was equally convincing on slower, thoughtful numbers as the high energy ones. Reflective flute, lovely harmonies, a warm croon from Hodgkinson and Terry's unexpected nimble-fingered fretboard run in the center is the highlight. `I believe this girl's about to fly...' declares J.W on closer `A Song For Elsa', and fly it damn well does! It's a honking R&B stomper with a roaring vocal, furious propulsive instrumental jamming that alternates with smoky bluesy sax ruminations.

Especially worthwhile is the recent Repertoire Records CD/DVD reissue. Not only is the main album sounding absolutely wonderful, but a short bonus DVD of live vintage footage from 1971 is included. While visually it's fairly average quality, the energy of the live performance from the band is intoxicating, and, not surprising to discover, singer J.W Hodgkinson is a stocky mountain of a man, performing with power and finesse. Several of the tracks from `If 2' are performed, and it's interesting to note just how tightly written they are, as they're not all that different from the studio versions, just with a little added urgency the live environment brings.

Running just over 35 minutes, there's not enough time for any filler material to emerge, as `If 2' races through a range of fusion styles and sounds, expertly played by a bunch of top- notch musicians. It's one of the damn coolest albums in my collection, and just as special to me as If-offshoot Zzebra's second album `Panic', and it never fails to lift my mood. It's been in my collection for some years now, and after dozens upon dozens of listens, it still sounds like sheer musical perfection to my ears!

Five stars.

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#1326171) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 19, 2014

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I am such an ass! Going through 45 years without hearing something as marvelous as British jazz-rock legends IF is a crying shame. If I only knew IF! LOL. So what did it take to get me up to speed after such a long period of inertia? A stupendous review by my Aussie music mate Michael reminded me that I had been missing out on something quite delicious in view of my profound adoration of Nucleus, Soft Machine, Isotope, Traffic, Sunbirds, Wigwam and even Tasavallan Presidentti! I was perhaps misguided in hearing comments about similarities with Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears , both of which are not exactly in my range of goodies.

I opted for the deluxe DVD/CD package of the IF "2" release, a beauty that has a live DVD recording as well as the studio effort, all nicely put together with an amazing booklet, artwork etc?I was already familiar with keyboard whiz John Mealing (who later graduated to Passport and the Strawbs) as well as accomplished drummer Dennis Elliott who of course became a famous Foreigner. Dick Morrisey is a sax legend, so I knew enough to be at least conscious of their existence but the big surprise for me was guitarist Terry Smith, a wicked stylist with amazing technique a la Steve Cropper (blues and a distinct RnB country feel), a rock solid bass player in Jim Richardson and a real cool vocalist in J.W. Hodgkinson. I had never heard of these three, so I was in for a thrill. Though this is late 60s music , it stills smokes quite brightly and is a joy ride from beginning to end, it got me thinking that we would need some upbeat stuff like this in our currently apathetic/doom-laden culture. (Sorry Pharell but "Happy" is not quite enough to heal the world).

Things begin in radiant fashion with a sprightly "Your City is Falling", Hodgkinson grabbing the mike stand and showing who is the boss, while the lads pummel mightily in the background. The mood is balmy, warm and inviting, a really faultless opening salvo that sets the tone perfectly.

An extended platform for improvisation is the 8 minute+ "Sunday Sad", a Spanish guitar motif finds itself escorted by a flute caress which then quickly merges into a slick rambler that fumes, smokes, smolders and rages with torrid passion, fueled by the loaded double brass assault of Quincy and Morrissey on saxophones and another fine vocal performance by J.W. Bassist Richardson carves some manic grooves while Terry Smith does a splendid job on his axe, a gritty and sulphurous affair that is just awe-inspiring. Mealing's grumpy organ is shoved along by Elliott's sturdy drumming and lo and behold, this is such exhilarating music!

The Brits love their weird song titles (hello Canterbury lads) and "Tarmac T and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" (what year? 1969, hmmm, pretty racy, wot?) certainly qualifies, a bluesy trippy ditty with a manic vocal that has a definite Traffic/BST feel, spread-eagled by a sick sax flirting overtly with the fuzzy wuzzy organ (that is innuendo-laden wordplay for you), sensual and sexual jazz-rock with some serious soul.

Driving your vintage MG or Triumph Spitfire, propelled by a bass-mad "I Couldn't Write and Tell You", gives the music a down to earth meaning, surprising the listener with inimitable genius, a flute from nowhere, a consistently believable vocal delivery , a solid beat and some glittering solos all within its 8 minute sinews. Terry Smith glitters on his axe, a blistering technique that nears supersonic speeds, frenzied and acidic. Wow! Has anyone noticed where my jaw landed? Yeah, baby!

Smooth? You want some velvety class , well it does not get creamier than the suave breeze heard on "Shadows and Echoes", sounding like some jazz toone from the 50s movies, a cool cat skinning his brushes, upright bass bopping along while the crisp and clear guitar does some marauding. A wide mouthed vocal again does the trick, versatile and groovy.

Hey, you wanna another oddball song title, look no further than the quirky "A Song For Elsa, Three Days Before her 23rd Birthday", I mean, C'mon! Doggone it when Brits can out soul the Yanks, and that's including the 'brothers'! At least in musical terms, British blues and jazz bands of the 60s and 70s certainly played a part in emancipating white crowds into getting off on black music (Hey, Jimi, How ya doin'?). Here Quincy and Morrissey play majestically, a pure joy and total marvel to witness and revel in.

What a great record and I can bury my ignorance now by pursuing the entire catalogue!

Merci, Michael!

4.5 Rudyard Kiplings

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#1350288) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 21, 2015

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"