IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

Repertoire 2006
If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
JOURNEY If He Should Break Your Heart PROMO CD SINGLE Trial By Fire STEVE PERRY US $49.99 Buy It Now 29m 59s
Got Live If You Want It! by The Rolling Stones CD UICY 20174 Japan New Sealed US $13.95 Buy It Now 30m 46s
JODY WATLEY~IF I'M NOT IN LOVE~HOUSE HINRG TRANCE REMIXES 2 x 12" *NM PROMO* US $1.48 Buy It Now 31m 29s
IF? - IF? 12" PS 1991 baggy indie US $2.42 [0 bids]
32m 9s
UB40 7" VINYL C/S IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN DEP11 1984 EX US $5.24 Buy It Now 32m 32s
Elvis Presley If Every Day Was Like Christmas CD SEALED US $11.95 Buy It Now 33m 37s
New: INCUBUS - If Not Now, When? (Best Buy Exclusive) [Bonus Tracks] CD US $6.98 Buy It Now 34m 27s
PANIC AT THE DISCO. BUT IT'S BETTER IF YOU DO. D.J. CD SINGLE US $1.60 [0 bids]
34m 32s
THE SATURDAYS IF THIS IS LOVE 2008 MAXI-SINGLE FRANKIE UNA ROCHELLE MOLLIE VANES US $16.11 [0 bids]
36m 19s
NORTHERN SOUL - MAXINE BROWN - IF I KNEW THEN (WHAT I KNOW NOW / I KNEEL AT YOUR US $65.00 [0 bids]
37m 4s
NORTHERN SOUL - EDDIE HOLLAND - CANDY TO ME b/w IF YOU DON'T WANT MY LOVE US $25.00 [0 bids]
37m 7s
NORTHERN SOUL - BROTHERS AND OTHERS - NOW IS THE TIME OF THE SEASON / IF LOVE WA US $25.00 [0 bids]
37m 33s
SHAM 69 - If The Kids Are United ~ 7" Single US $6.81 Buy It Now 38m 33s
TEGAN AND SARA If It Was You CD Album! US $6.44 [0 bids]
40m 11s
Sunny & Phyllis: If We Had To Do It All Over/When I Look into 45 - Northern Soul US $6.29 [0 bids]
42m 5s
Blake Shelton Sure Be Cool If You Did CD Single 2012 US $3.99 Buy It Now 42m 40s
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This 3 Track CD Single! US $2.42 [0 bids]
44m 17s
THELMA HOUSTON IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO TAMLA PROMO 45 1976 US $6.99 Buy It Now 45m 15s
PETER COX : If You Walk Away - Limited Edition 1997 UK 4-trk CD single, GO WEST US $4.82 Buy It Now 46m 51s
Lou Christie "Lightnin' Strikes" 1966 Stereo LP "Since I Fell For You"If I Fell" US $9.00 Buy It Now 48m 56s
Stephanie Mills "If I Were Your Woman" 1987 R&B LP, Nice EX!, Promo, Vinyl US $2.37 Buy It Now 48m 57s
Hanson If Only 4 Trk CD Single Enhanced US $4.02 Buy It Now 49m 19s
JUNIOR VASQUEZ - IF MADONNA CALLS 1996 UK 6 TRACK CD EP US $1.60 [0 bids]
49m 21s
Jazz LP LITTLE JIMMY SCOTT if you only knew SAVOY US $7.99 [0 bids]
51m 1s
TOMMY STUART *DJ COPY* "IF MY LIFE CAME UP AGAIN" 45 US $4.49 Buy It Now 51m 12s
MICHAEL EVANS It Must Be Love/If Wishes Were Wings CHARIOT 5078 Private? COUNTRY US $9.99 Buy It Now 51m 27s
FLAMINGOS "If I Can't Have You" Rare RED VINYL US 7" - Lost-Nite Records LN-269 US $5.24 Buy It Now 51m 57s
DELTA RHYTHM BOYS "If You See Tears In My Eyes" Rare US 7" - Atlantic 45-900 US $4.03 Buy It Now 51m 57s
If You Buy This CD I Can Get This Car, Schimmel, Robert, New US $15.39 Buy It Now 52m 7s
ROCKIE ROBBINS: Be Ever Wonderful / If I Ever Lose You (soul vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 54m 4s
LEROY VAN DYKE - If A Woman Answers (Hang Up The Phone) A Broken Promise - 1962 US $2.95 Buy It Now 54m 31s
2ND II NONE 'Let The Rhythm Take You/If You Want It' RAP 45 - MINT - DJ QUIK US $8.07 [0 bids]
54m 37s
Rare NORTHERN NOLAN PORTER-IF I COULD ONLY BE SURE-PRES US $9.66 [0 bids]
55m 32s
NAT KING COLE "A BLOSSOM FELL / IF I MAY" 45 US $2.00 Buy It Now 56m 37s
Geri Halliwell Scream If You Wanna Go Faster 4 Trk CD Single CD2 US $4.02 Buy It Now 56m 50s
Wonder Stuff - If The Beatles Had Read.. [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 58m 54s
45 RECORD EDDIE HEYWOOD LOVER, IF IT'S SUNNY SUNDAY US $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 2m
THE MOMENTS ~ If I Didn't Care / You Make Me Feel Good ~ nm STANG 45 US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 2m
TEE-SET If You Do Believe In Love Danish 45PS 1970 US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Ozark Mountain Daredevils: Spaceship orion / If you wann 7" 45rpm vinyl record c US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
DALE & RITA LIDSTROM "IF I HAD IT TO DO ALL OVER AGAIN" LP 1980 superior sealed US $5.10 Buy It Now 1h 5m
DICK EMERY IF YOU LOVE HER / DAY AFTER DAY 1969 UK 7" PYE 7N-17644 A1/B1 VG US $4.82 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Anat Fort Trio- And If (Jazz CD 2010) US $4.84 Buy It Now 1h 5m
25 CENT CD If That Ain't Country * by Anthony Smith (CD, Aug-2002, Universal Dis US $0.25 [0 bids]
JEFF HAMILTON - IF DREAMS COME TRUE NEW CD US $27.49 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Michael McDonald If That's What It Takes 1982 VINYL LP NM Unplayed In Shrink US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Live at Texas Stadium by Alan Jackson (Country CD) "Honk If You Honky Tonk" US $20.03 Buy It Now 1h 10m
LESLEY GORE Debut 33 record album I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO US $18.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
THE PARACHUTE MEN ~ If I Could Wear Your Jacket ~ 12" Single PS + POSTCARD US $11.28 Buy It Now 1h 11m
IF I WAS PRINCE-VARIOUS ARTISTS NEW+SEALED CD 2001 PEACHES SIMIAN HEFNER 7 HURTZ US $8.05 [0 bids]
Chicago: Lot of 2: If you leave me now / Hope for love / 7" 45rpm vinyl record c US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
FIORI if i 12" RECORD SPAIN BREAKBEATS DJ BREAKS HOT US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Northern Soul 45 THE PRECISIONS if this is love DREW listen US $12.39 [3 bids]
"A ROSE AND A BABY RUTH," George Hamilton IV 45 RPM B/W "If You Don't Know" US $2.59 Buy It Now 1h 15m
VINCE MARTIN & The Tarriers, "Cindy, Oh Cindy" B/W "Only If You Praise the Lord" US $2.79 Buy It Now 1h 15m
IF I WERE A RICH MAN 60's Film Sheetmusic- from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF-TOPOL US $14.52 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Anne G. 45 "If She Knew" ~ DJ Promo US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 18m
TEDDY WILSON Nice Work If You Can Get It (Cassette) US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
CHARLES WILSON-IF HEARTACHES WERE NICKELS-JAPAN CD E25 US $22.50 Buy It Now 1h 20m
45 rpm, Lot of 3 Olivia Newton-John, If Not For You, Have You Never Been... US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
If It Leads Me Back by Lindsay McCaul (CD, Jan-2012, Reunion Records) SEALED NEW US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Jeff Foxworthy - You Might Be a Redneck If... (CD - 1993) - EXCELLENT CONDITION US $5.25 Buy It Now 1h 22m
BOBBY WOOD - IF I'M A FOOL FOR LOVING YOU // MY HEART WENT BOING BOING BOING US $3.30 Buy It Now 1h 23m
45 POP Chad & Jeremy/Yesterday's gone/If I loved you/Collectables/USA/NM HEAR US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Rumble 1988 Cassette Tommy Conwell & the Young Rumblers (If We Never Meet Again) US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
45rpm - THE AVENGERS 1965 Garage Teen Pop IF YOU REALLY CARE b/w JULIET US $127.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
If Your Memory Serves You Well by US $10.07 Buy It Now 1h 31m
LLOYD PRICE 1960 ABC PARAMOUNT 7" QUESTION b/w IF I LOOK A LITTLE BLUE M- US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 32m
If This Isn't A Dream...1985-1989 - Virulence New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $17.36 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Jon & Robin 60'S ROCK 45 Abnak 119 Do It Again a Little Bit Slower/If I Need..M- US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Rick Springfield - Catch Me If You Can (2009) *MINT* US $1.61 [1 bids]
Amen Corner If Paradise is Half as nice Immediate IM 073 VG+ Co sleeve US $1.60 [0 bids]
LEE GREENWOOD "IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
NOLAN CHANCE "JUST LIKE THE WEATHER c/w IF HE MAKES YOU" NORTHERN SOUL LISTEN! US $14.50 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Shenandoah: See if I care / Lily of the alley 7" 45rpm vinyl record 4c US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
JACKIE BURNS A World Of Lonely Men JMI OBSCURE COUNTRY 45 If Loving You Is Wrong US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Bonnie Tyler If I Sing You A Love Song Ltd GOLD Canada 7" # RCA11349 unplayed US $7.26 Buy It Now 1h 42m
What If - The Dixie Dregs Original CD Reissue Polydor NRMT Cond Fast Free Ship US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Chantay Savage- If You Believe- Cassette Single SEALED US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
CHEAP TRICK EVERYTHING WORKS IF YOU LET IT UK 1980 EPIC 7 INCH US $3.21 [0 bids]
Gene Burton-If These Walls Could Talk-Country-CD US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
The Smiths: Stop Me If You Think You've Heard... German white Vinyl 12" Single US $29.02 [10 bids]
Japan Version May'n album if you... edition CD+DVD US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Suzi Quatro - If You Knew Suzi - Bulgarian Press EX US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Lorrie Morgan 45 He Talks To Me / If I Didn't Love You w/ts US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
JONES, Jack (If You Ever Leave Me) RCA 47-9441 US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Rod Lauren / If I Had A Girl / No Wonder /1ST PRESS /RARE /1960/ Play Tested/ VG US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
CITIZEN COPE If there's Love USA PROMO Radio DJ Cd single 2001 DRMR 13856 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Superfire / If Glamour Is Dead / Cash Machine Girls Against Boys MUSIC CD US $7.48 Buy It Now 1h 59m
LEE STIRLING & Bruisers Right from the start I could if I wanted to UK 45 US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h
NOS STEVE WARINER.....IF I DIDN'T LOVE YOU US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h
45 RPM RECORD/5) JIM ED BROWN / IF WISHES WERE HORSES US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h
Prince: If I Was Your Girlfriend 12" US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 3m
TENISON STEPHENS hurry change if you're coming / baby i'm a fool for you 7" VG- US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Giovanni--Quietude--What IF (CD, Ocean, Canada) NEW US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
ODYSSEY RARE 7" 45 SINGLE IF YOU'RE LOOKIN FOR A WAY OUT RARE DJ PROMO US $4.03 Buy It Now 2h 4m
VERY RARE 12' single JAY NEVELLE IF THIS AIN'T LOVE US $8.07 [0 bids]
RICK DERRINGER - If I Weren't So Romantic.../ Face To Face ( 2 on 1 CD ) Winter US $20.00 [0 bids]
FRAN'S BAND If To-Morrow Never Comes RARE On Tribute LR-1005 1977 Mint- SEALED! US $78.49 Buy It Now 2h 9m
FOUR TOPS "IF I WERE A CARPENTER" MOTOWN CLASSIC LISTEN! US $12.89 Buy It Now 2h 11m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132957) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154432) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458567) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#1039646) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"