IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

Capitol
Vinyl$19.99 (used)
Capitol
Vinyl$25.99 (used)
If You Say Gullible Slowly Joke Funny New T-Shirt (Longslave&Hoodie Available) USD $23.99 Buy It Now 58m 25s
SILK IF YOU CD SINGLE 2 TRACKS IF YOU (LOVIN' ME) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h
BRUCE COCKBURN If I Had A Rocket Launcher Bleeped Version 2mx pro 12in 1984 USD $9.50 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Ronan Keating : If Tomorrow Never Comes [CD 2] (2002) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Geri Halliwell - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster CD1 CD2 - 2 cd set inc video USD $4.44 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Mike Feat.Evelyn & Patrick Miller Candys 2012-If The World Would End (2 Tracks) USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
THE MAN I LOVE (1957) & IF YOU GO (1961) PEGGY LEE 2 Original Albums on 1 CD USD $4.75 Buy It Now 4h 44m
MIDGE URE 7" VINYL CARD P/S IF I WAS URE 1 1985 SYNTH ULTRAVOX EX (2) USD $4.35 Buy It Now 4h 46m
STARS ON 54_If You Could Read My Mind_used CD-s_CD single_ships frm AUSTRALIA_K2 USD $7.83 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Mayte(CD Single)If I Love U 2 Night----New USD $7.36 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth [CD 1] [CD 2] [Single] [Audio CD] D-NEW USD $5.33 Buy It Now 5h 32m
HYBRID-IF I SURVIVE-BREAKS/PROG TRANCE/99-2x12@LISTEN@ USD $12.45 Buy It Now 5h 33m
scott fitzgerald yvonne keeley/if i had words UP36333 7" VINYL RECORD EX T2 USD $3.55 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Various Artists - If I Had a Song: The Songs of Pete Seeger Vol. 2 - APRCD1055 USD $18.17 Buy It Now 7h 31m
BARE JR. - IF YOU CHOOSE ME 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS25 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 51m
WORLD WAR III~IF THE BOMB FALLS~OUT OF OHIO~DEE;OS~PART 2~~FUNK 45 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 9h 41m
MAYTE -IF EYE LOVE U 2NIGHT (1989 CDSINGLE) *NEW* USD $4.44 Buy It Now 10h 9m
R. KELLY - IF I COULD TURN BACK 2 DISC PROMO DJ CD CS209 USD $22.99 Buy It Now 10h 29m
STARS ON 54 - IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS379 ## USD $12.99 Buy It Now 10h 29m
3 CDs, remastered AOR Classics, Just If I + 2 X Outside Edge, new, Free Shipping USD $28.99 Buy It Now 10h 37m
(2) Christmas Elvis Presley CDs If Every Day Was Like Christmas, Blue Christmas USD $2.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Junior Vasquez - If Madonna Calls HOUSE 2X12" Double Vinyl 1996 Groovilicious USD $6.31 Buy It Now 11h 28m
2 K D Lang CD - Just Keep Me Moving - If I Were You from All You Can Eat - KD USD $1.99 [0 bids]
USD $2.99 Buy It Now
Waheed & The Resistance - If I Had 2 Kill / Gimme Your Luv HIP HOP 12" Single Vi USD $22.99 Buy It Now 11h 33m
If on a Winter's Night... Sting (CD, Oct-2009, 2 Discs, Decca (USA)) NEW SEALED USD $19.95 Buy It Now 11h 48m
94 EAST-If You Feel Like Dancin'-2 x CD Set-2004 German issue-Prince-Brand New USD $17.19 Buy It Now 12h 20m
2 Neal Mccoy CD - For A Change - If I Was A Drinkin' Man - from Greatest Hits USD $1.99 [0 bids]
USD $2.99 Buy It Now
IF-2 '70 UK ISLAND LP ORIG+INN. UK JAZZ PROGRESSIVE USD $74.21 Buy It Now 13h 8m
U2-I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight 7"-Sealed New Dirty South Remix USD $17.99 [0 bids]
USD $23.99 Buy It Now
New: JARS OF CLAY - If I Left the Zoo / The Eleventh Hour (Christian Rock) 2 CD USD $7.98 Buy It Now 13h 12m
SIMPLY RED mexico promo x2 (two) 7" SET if you don't know me by now USD $7.99 Buy It Now 13h 12m
Rock NM! 45 THE ENGLISH CONGREGATION If I Could Have My Way on Signpost 7" 2 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Jucifer: If Thine Enemy Hunger CD 2006 Relapse Records RR 6596-2 USD $4.95 Buy It Now 13h 34m
LOVEHORN: If / Part 2 45 (stained/damaged lbl) rare Soul USD $40.00 Buy It Now 13h 53m
IF If 2 '70 Capitol 8 Track Tape VG+ JAZZ ROCK FUSION PROG PROGRESSIVE USD $3.00 Buy It Now 14h 29m
IF - 2 - CD NEW+ USD $19.88 Buy It Now 14h 29m
JODY WATLEY - IF I'M NOT IN LOVE - US PROMO 2X12" VINYL USD $7.98 Buy It Now 14h 43m
BLOSSOM TOES: If Only For A Moment LP (UK, 2 LPs, 180 gram reissue, 2011 repres USD $35.00 Buy It Now 14h 47m
The Lox If You Think I'm Jiggy 2 Tracks Thin CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
LFO If I Can't Have You 2 Tracks Thin CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
If I Could Only Fly by Merle Haggard NEW SEALED CD, Oct-2004 2 Discs Anti (USA) USD $9.98 Buy It Now 15h 12m
Matched: Benz : If I Remember : 2CDs With Poster USD $3.70 Buy It Now 15h 27m
Aphex Twin - ...I Care Because You Do - 2LP Cat No. if12 USD $37.09 Buy It Now 15h 43m
PHIL MOORE If U Were The Only Girl In The World/This Love Of Mine-Side2 CPic 45 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 9m
Beyoncé If I Were A Boy 2 Trk CD Single USD $8.89 Buy It Now 16h 30m
MARK SHO GARDEN moody world / if ups were downs CUTA RUG 45-2 USD $9.10 Buy It Now 16h 45m
BROKEN RECORDS If The News Makes You Sad 2-trk promo CD USD $5.19 Buy It Now 16h 54m
2Pac Tupac IF MY HOMIE CALLS 12' Interscope Records 0-96212 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
ROD STEWART - Greatest Hits + If We Fall In Love Tonight MINT CD 2 Lot USD $12.99 Buy It Now 17h 39m
Blues NM! 45 CLARENCE CARTER AND CANDI If You Can't Beat 'Em on Atlantic 2 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 18h
DON WILLIAMS I Wouldn't Want To Live If You Didn't Love Me/Atta Way 2 Go 45 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 18h 7m
Elvis Presley If Every Day Was Like Christmas ... Set of 2 45 RPM USD $20.00 [0 bids]
Bwana If : I Angelica (2CDs) (2010) USD $3.35 Buy It Now 18h 43m
BOBBY BARE-2 FOR 1 Hit 45's!-"Shame On Me"(1962 Top 10) & "Daddy What If"-VG+/EX USD $4.17 Buy It Now 18h 48m
Tal Bachman If You Sleep 2 Mix CD Single Promo USD $2.49 Buy It Now 18h 53m
CD Big James - If It Wasn't 4 Da Blues Jamot Music JM1001-2 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 18h 56m
REDHUM If You Don't Fight/Brown Roce & Kerosene 2LP USD $9.40 Buy It Now 19h
Opera Collection #1 2 CD Set EMI FRANCE Both CDs Perfect As If NEVER Played! USD $16.69 Buy It Now 19h 12m
2x7" Singles "NM Wax" Brenda Lee He's My Rock (??? Sample) Japan If You Love Me USD $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 17m
CHICAGO: GREATEST HITS, VOL. 2 CD! IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW ~ OLD DAYS! VG+ USD $7.98 Buy It Now 19h 26m
KING OF THE HILL If I Say w/ 2 RARE EDITS PROMO DJ CD Single USA trk time 3:72 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 19h 33m
MILLIE JACKSON If you're not back in love by Monday 2 versions NM dj soul LISTEN USD $9.25 Buy It Now 19h 58m
2 Tracy Lawrence CD - As Any Fool Can See - If the World Had A Front Porch USD $4.99 Buy It Now 20h 11m
78RPM 2 Columbia by Frank Sinatra, Sleep Wink, Lovely, If U P, Sunday Monday wV USD $13.95 Buy It Now 20h 46m
LEMONHEADS IF ONLY YOU WERE DEAD 12" 2x LP WHITE VINYL RECORD STORE DAY RSD 2014 USD $89.99 Buy It Now 20h 47m
U2RARE CANADIAN CD SINGLE IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS *Free Shipping* USD $40.00 [0 bids]
USD $100.00 Buy It Now
Sting: If on a Winter's Night... [CD & DVD] [Limited Deluxe 2 Disc] SEALED, cut USD $2.99 [0 bids]
2 Snow CD If This World Were Mine from Justuss Anything For You from Murder Love USD $3.79 [0 bids]
USD $4.99 Buy It Now
Marc Dorsey If You Really Want To Know 2 Tracks Thin Ex Cond CD USD $2.99 Buy It Now 21h 37m
Rock 45 THE TEE SET If You Do Believe In Love on Colossus 2 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 21h 58m
U2-Mysterious Ways (Remix) / If God Will Send His Angels (Remix)-RARE Promo USD $12.99 [0 bids]
USD $16.99 Buy It Now
K'S CHOICE - If You're Not Scared CD Single Promo (2 versions) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 22h 58m
David Kersh - If I Never Stop Loving You - Promo Only CD (77905-2P) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 23h 31m
Freddy Fender if you're ever in texas another tear drop falls 2 LPs Vinyl N Mint USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Jack Johnson - If I Had Eyes 2 Track CD Single USD $6.23 Buy It Now 1 day
2Pac(12" Vinyl P/S)I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto-JIVE-Ex/New (UNPLAYED) USD $19.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Last Days Of April - If You Lose It Japan CD+2BONUS NEW USD $16.14 Buy It Now 1 day
LEECH - IF WE GET THERE ONE DAY,WOULD YOU 2 VINYL LP ROCK ALTERNATIVE NEW+ USD $35.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Babybird If You'll Be Mine CD Pt 2 UK 1998 EX Baby Bird USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RONAN KEATING - If Tomorrow Never Comes (UK 4 Tk Enh CD Single Pt 2/Poster) USD $5.92 Buy It Now 1 day
If Music is 10 2003-2013 sealed 2 Lp set USD $25.22 Buy It Now 1 day
VARIOUS - If I Stay (Soundtrack) - 2xLP USD $44.44 Buy It Now 1 day
BEATLES:And I Love Her 2:28-If I Fell 2:18-Japan 7" Odeon Records OR-1145 PSL GF USD $74.98 Buy It Now 1 day
2 DIRE STRAITS 45s SO FAR AWAY/ IF I HAD YOU & CALLING ELVIS/ MILLIONAIRE BLUES USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Rihanna If It's Lovin' That You Want 12" x2 VG++ Promo USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MINDY MCREADY 2xCASSETTE TAPES Ten Thousand Angels IF I DON'T STAY THE NIGHT USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
A JEALOUSY ISSUE SOMEBODY IF THE FLAMES 2 CD LOT METAL USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ODYSSEY -If You'Re Looking For A Way Out (1980) PB-9604 7" VINYL RECORD EX/VG T2 USD $10.37 Buy It Now 1 day
ROD STEWART (IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG) I DON'T WANT TO BE 7" VINYL RECORD EX/VG T2 USD $2.95 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC / If You Want Blood, You've Got It JAPAN 18P2-2760 *M USD $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ATOMIC KITTEN - If You Come To Me (UK 2 Tk CD Single Pt 1) USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Phoenix If I Ever Feel Better Promo CD Single 2 Mixes USD $1.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Wildhearts - Stop Us If You've Heard This O - ROUND014-2 USD $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
KYLIE MINOGUE & KEITH WASHINGTON - If You Were With Me Now - 1991 UK 2-track 12" USD $74.19 Buy It Now 1 day
VARIOUS - Ninja Tunes & If Music Present: If Music 2.0 (Record Store Day 2014) USD $42.89 Buy It Now 1 day
THE 2ND THOUGHT ~ When I'm In Love/If Only You'd Loved Me ~ garage 45 ~ GLORIA $ USD $47.77 Buy It Now 1 day
ERIC CLAPTON.IF I HAD POSSESSION OVER JUDGEMENT DAY.2 TRACK PROMO. USD $2.97 [0 bids]
LP 2
~ USD $12.73
CD if4
~ USD $13.84

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars Released in the same year as their first album in 1970, `If 2' saw English jazz/fusion/rock band If deliver a follow-up album that was just as good, if just a little more instantly approachable than the debut. One of the things that makes this album such a winner is that, in addition to the obviously top-notch musical displays and improvisational skills of the musicians, the band have crafted those elements to a selection of accessible and melodic tunes, without really being any more overly commercial. Soul, psych, funk, jazz and heavy R&B styles are all blended seamlessly with a hard rocking sound, with thrilling instrumental runs carefully executed between strong vocal passages. Oh, and it also happens to groove like a mutha-effer the whole time!!

`Your City is Falling' opens the album in gutsy and up-tempo fashion. A catchy tune sung with bellowing conviction by lead singer J.W Hodgkinson is powered by Dennis Elliott's snappy drumming, John Mealing's nimble Hammond organ ripples and relentless dual saxophone attacks from Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey. The scathing lyric seem to be condemning watching the city you love change around you, the line "Half religious mockeries that robbed the man who died" is especially vivid, and the repeated exasperated mention of "All the restaurants?" just drives the message home perfectly. The gently melancholic `Sunday Sad' is psychedelic and drowsy, with lovely dreamy flute giving way to Terry Smith's Spanish-style slow-burn guitar solo in the middle that bubbles under and eventually erupts with lusty splintering fire, Jim Richardson's chasing bass stalking the whole time. `Tarmac T. Pirate' (check out the full nonsense title!) is a compact shorter vocal rocker dominated by Hodkinson, but the whole band offering quick little instrumental fills around him throughout.

`I couldn't Write and Tell You' opens the second side, with relentless bass, confident sax blaring and nimble jazzy guitar licks that turn into a psychedelic storm, but a sympathetic heartfelt restrained vocal in the middle over wistful flute is a nice break. `Shadows and Echoes' is a smooth soul ballad, showing that the band was equally convincing on slower, thoughtful numbers as the high energy ones. Reflective flute, lovely harmonies, a warm croon from Hodgkinson and Terry's unexpected nimble-fingered fretboard run in the center is the highlight. `I believe this girl's about to fly...' declares J.W on closer `A Song For Elsa', and fly it damn well does! It's a honking R&B stomper with a roaring vocal, furious propulsive instrumental jamming that alternates with smoky bluesy sax ruminations.

Especially worthwhile is the recent Repertoire Records CD/DVD reissue. Not only is the main album sounding absolutely wonderful, but a short bonus DVD of live vintage footage from 1971 is included. While visually it's fairly average quality, the energy of the live performance from the band is intoxicating, and, not surprising to discover, singer J.W Hodgkinson is a stocky mountain of a man, performing with power and finesse. Several of the tracks from `If 2' are performed, and it's interesting to note just how tightly written they are, as they're not all that different from the studio versions, just with a little added urgency the live environment brings.

Running just over 35 minutes, there's not enough time for any filler material to emerge, as `If 2' races through a range of fusion styles and sounds, expertly played by a bunch of top- notch musicians. It's one of the damn coolest albums in my collection, and just as special to me as If-offshoot Zzebra's second album `Panic', and it never fails to lift my mood. It's been in my collection for some years now, and after dozens upon dozens of listens, it still sounds like sheer musical perfection to my ears!

Five stars.

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I am such an ass! Going through 45 years without hearing something as marvelous as British jazz-rock legends IF is a crying shame. If I only knew IF! LOL. So what did it take to get me up to speed after such a long period of inertia? A stupendous review by my Aussie music mate Michael reminded me that I had been missing out on something quite delicious in view of my profound adoration of Nucleus, Soft Machine, Isotope, Traffic, Sunbirds, Wigwam and even Tasavallan Presidentti! I was perhaps misguided in hearing comments about similarities with Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears , both of which are not exactly in my range of goodies.

I opted for the deluxe DVD/CD package of the IF "2" release, a beauty that has a live DVD recording as well as the studio effort, all nicely put together with an amazing booklet, artwork etc?I was already familiar with keyboard whiz John Mealing (who later graduated to Passport and the Strawbs) as well as accomplished drummer Dennis Elliott who of course became a famous Foreigner. Dick Morrisey is a sax legend, so I knew enough to be at least conscious of their existence but the big surprise for me was guitarist Terry Smith, a wicked stylist with amazing technique a la Steve Cropper (blues and a distinct RnB country feel), a rock solid bass player in Jim Richardson and a real cool vocalist in J.W. Hodgkinson. I had never heard of these three, so I was in for a thrill. Though this is late 60s music , it stills smokes quite brightly and is a joy ride from beginning to end, it got me thinking that we would need some upbeat stuff like this in our currently apathetic/doom-laden culture. (Sorry Pharell but "Happy" is not quite enough to heal the world).

Things begin in radiant fashion with a sprightly "Your City is Falling", Hodgkinson grabbing the mike stand and showing who is the boss, while the lads pummel mightily in the background. The mood is balmy, warm and inviting, a really faultless opening salvo that sets the tone perfectly.

An extended platform for improvisation is the 8 minute+ "Sunday Sad", a Spanish guitar motif finds itself escorted by a flute caress which then quickly merges into a slick rambler that fumes, smokes, smolders and rages with torrid passion, fueled by the loaded double brass assault of Quincy and Morrissey on saxophones and another fine vocal performance by J.W. Bassist Richardson carves some manic grooves while Terry Smith does a splendid job on his axe, a gritty and sulphurous affair that is just awe-inspiring. Mealing's grumpy organ is shoved along by Elliott's sturdy drumming and lo and behold, this is such exhilarating music!

The Brits love their weird song titles (hello Canterbury lads) and "Tarmac T and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" (what year? 1969, hmmm, pretty racy, wot?) certainly qualifies, a bluesy trippy ditty with a manic vocal that has a definite Traffic/BST feel, spread-eagled by a sick sax flirting overtly with the fuzzy wuzzy organ (that is innuendo-laden wordplay for you), sensual and sexual jazz-rock with some serious soul.

Driving your vintage MG or Triumph Spitfire, propelled by a bass-mad "I Couldn't Write and Tell You", gives the music a down to earth meaning, surprising the listener with inimitable genius, a flute from nowhere, a consistently believable vocal delivery , a solid beat and some glittering solos all within its 8 minute sinews. Terry Smith glitters on his axe, a blistering technique that nears supersonic speeds, frenzied and acidic. Wow! Has anyone noticed where my jaw landed? Yeah, baby!

Smooth? You want some velvety class , well it does not get creamier than the suave breeze heard on "Shadows and Echoes", sounding like some jazz toone from the 50s movies, a cool cat skinning his brushes, upright bass bopping along while the crisp and clear guitar does some marauding. A wide mouthed vocal again does the trick, versatile and groovy.

Hey, you wanna another oddball song title, look no further than the quirky "A Song For Elsa, Three Days Before her 23rd Birthday", I mean, C'mon! Doggone it when Brits can out soul the Yanks, and that's including the 'brothers'! At least in musical terms, British blues and jazz bands of the 60s and 70s certainly played a part in emancipating white crowds into getting off on black music (Hey, Jimi, How ya doin'?). Here Quincy and Morrissey play majestically, a pure joy and total marvel to witness and revel in.

What a great record and I can bury my ignorance now by pursuing the entire catalogue!

Merci, Michael!

4.5 Rudyard Kiplings

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"