IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006
What Did I Say About TWhat Did I Say About T
Repertoire 2008
SHAI *...IF I EVER FALL IN LOVE* ORIGINAL 1992 DEBUT CD ALBUM IN EX. CON. US $9.82 Buy It Now 30m
DANA WILSON Nothin' Good Ever Comes Easy CD Empty Pockets What If 15 trks USED US $5.33 Buy It Now 37m 11s
LP JIMMY JAMES YOU DON'T STAND A CHANCE IF YOU CAN'T DANCE EX/EX US $13.25 Buy It Now 44m 4s
Willis/Bluiett - If Trees Could Talk [CD New] US $16.92 Buy It Now 44m 5s
I Can't Help It If I'm Still in Love With You, , Good Import US $4.51 Buy It Now 48m 13s
THE MAMAS & THE PAPA - IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES AND EARS [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $6.49 Buy It Now 48m 31s
Manic Street Preachers If You Tolerate This Your Childr US $13.99 Buy It Now 50m 8s
Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind - Vinyl LP 1970 US $1.64 [0 bids]
50m 25s
TAFFY - IF YOU FEEL IT 7" VINYL PS US $8.27 Buy It Now 50m 34s
LARRY WILLIS - IF TREES COULD TALK - NEW CD US $13.94 Buy It Now 54m 9s
BRANDON HEATH - WHAT IF WE - NEW CD US $8.97 Buy It Now 57m 59s
FIORUCCI You Can Get It If You Really Want CD SINGLE 3 trks USED US $1.49 Buy It Now 59m 6s
Sasha - If You Believe (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h
Connie Dover - If Ever I Return (1997) - Used - Compact Disc US $3.35 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Night Beds Even If We Try 7" Vinyl Single US $16.56 Buy It Now 1h 7m
OneRepublic ?- If I Lose Myself Mosley/Interscope LOSE01 UK Promo CD Single US $16.22 Buy It Now 1h 7m
THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT - DAMNED IF I DO 7" VINYL US $10.76 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Barry Manilow(Vinyl LP)If I Should Love Again-UK-BMAN 1-Arista-Ex/Ex US $12.42 Buy It Now 1h 13m
KD LANG cd ALL YOU CAN EAT sexuality IF I WERE YOU you're ok BEN MINK ramear K.D US $6.99 [0 bids]
John Waite (The Babys) picture sleeve single - If Anybody Had A heart/ Just Like US $5.60 Buy It Now 1h 15m
KORGIS, IF I HAD YOU-Rialto TREB 103-7" 1979 US $2.64 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Janie Fricke 45 If The Fall Don't Get You / Where's The Fire w/ts US $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Rolling Stones - Got Live If You Want It Ep - NEW 7" Vinyl Sealed - RSD 2014 US $19.88 Buy It Now 1h 16m
2pac Thug Life Holler If Ya Hear Me USA Promo CD very rare, Tupac Makaveli new US $499.99 [0 bids]
JOHN Cougar MELLENCAMP cd HUMAN WHEELS when jesus left What If I came Knocking US $7.49 [0 bids]
DEBORAH ALLEN cd DELTA DREAMLAND Rock Me in Cradle of Love IF NOT GONNA LOVE ME US $7.49 [0 bids]
CLARENCE CARTER It's A Monster Thang b/w If I Were Yours STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
If There's Any Justice [CD 1], Lemar, Good Single US $4.51 Buy It Now 1h 22m
TOM JONES It'll Be Me b/w If I Ever Had To Say Goodbye To You STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
If You Come Back, Blue, Good Single, Maxi US $4.51 Buy It Now 1h 25m
SHERYL CROW - IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY loose music cd single US $1.82 Buy It Now 1h 26m
STING of police TEN SUMMONERS TALES cd FIELDS OF GOLD if I lose my faith in you US $7.49 [0 bids]
Jeff Foxworthy, You Might Be a Redneck If... Audio CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
EMBRACE (BRITPOP) - IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN - NEW CD US $11.52 Buy It Now 1h 37m
AC/DC IF YOU WANT BLOOD / WITH OBI US $69.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
LOS UPDATES - First If You Please - CD US $21.46 Buy It Now 1h 42m
JOHN DOWNEY What If?/A Dolphin ORION NM- US $7.22 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Val Doonican If The Whole World Stopped Loving 6870601 LP RECORD VINYL EX/EX 20 US $9.77 Buy It Now 1h 44m
CD Single Garielle -IF YOU REALLY CARED CD UK GO BEAT 1996 US $2.62 Buy It Now 1h 47m
ALICE MARTINEAU - IF I FALL CD SINGLE US $3.30 Buy It Now 1h 47m
STING - IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1985 US $5.51 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Dee Clark - Hey Little Girl / If It Wasn't For Love (VG) #1395 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
DIGGY TAL & THE NUMBERS If It Is Love That You Want 7" single 1981 synth italo US $9.99 [0 bids]
...If I Ever Fall in Love by Shai (CD, Dec-1992, Gasoline Alley/MCA) US $0.93 [0 bids]
2h
Small Factory : For If You Cannot Fly CD (1995) US $3.98 Buy It Now 2h 2m
GEORGE STRAIT " IF YOU AIN'T LOVIN' YOU AIN'T LIVIN' "CASSETTE TAPE UNOPENED. US $5.99 [0 bids]
STATUS QUO IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT 9102 027 Pic Inner GATEFOLDVINYL LP Album US $13.08 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Rose Murphy 45 IF YOU WERE MINE / WHEN JOHNNY COMES MARCHING ~ VG+ jazzpop vocal US $10.05 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Reggae 45 Lovers Rock CYNTHIA SCHLOSS As If I Don't Know MERRITONE Record US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
SUTHERLAND BROTHERS _ QUIVER / IF I COULD HAVE YOUR LOVING ) DUTCH 7`PS 1977 US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
2 Lp Lot Buck Owens "If You Ain't Lovin" & Chet Atkins "And His Guitar" US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Freddy Fender If You Don't Love Me Sealed New Condition LP US $4.50 Buy It Now 2h 17m
STING - If On a Winter's Night... VINYL LP RECORD Christmas Holiday Music Carols US $23.45 Buy It Now 2h 20m
12" chip E. - if you only knew . NEW OLD STOCK / UNOPENED US $5.99 [0 bids]
The McGuire Sisters 45 "He / If You Believe" ~ Coral US $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 22m
MIDGE URE - If I Was - Excellent Condition 7" Single US $6.58 Buy It Now 2h 23m
ELTON JOHN-IF THE RIVER CAN BEND 568 959-2 UK CD US $7.47 Buy It Now 2h 23m
UB40 - If It Happens Again - Excellent Con 7" Single US $6.57 Buy It Now 2h 24m
UB40 - If It Happens Again - Excellent Con 7" Single US $6.58 Buy It Now 2h 24m
UB40 - If It Happens Again - Excellent Con 7" Single US $6.60 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes 45 If You Don't Know Me By Now ~ VG (soul) US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
L.J Waiters + Electrifiers 45 IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN' YOUR THING pt.1 / pt.2 ~ VG++ US $7.79 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Witchcraft ?- If Crimson Was Your Colour RARE CLEAR VINYL US $19.99 [0 bids]
Sting - If You Love Somebody Set Them Free - Picture Sleeve - 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
IF TONIGHT IS A SCENE TO BE WITH YOU - Starboard - CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 2h 31m
If I Give You My Love - Ray Charles - New CD US $5.30 Buy It Now 2h 31m
David Lasley 45 IF I HAD MY WISH TONIGHT / THERE'S GOT TO ~VG++ slight dish-dnap US $3.65 Buy It Now 2h 34m
JANIE FRICKE if the fall don't get you 7" WS EX/ usa US $11.59 Buy It Now 2h 35m
BRENDAN SHINE catch me if you can 7" WS EX/ US $11.59 Buy It Now 2h 35m
BOBBY MCGEE if not for love 7" PS EX/EX canada roto noto US $11.59 Buy It Now 2h 35m
STING "FORTRESS AROUND MY HEART" + "IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE" - 45RPM US $1.95 [0 bids]
If You See Her by Brooks & Dunn (CD, Jun-1998, Arista) US $2.49 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Dane Cook : Harmful If Swallowed (2CDs) (2008) US $3.25 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Wham! - Best of (If You Were There..., 1997) Digitally Remastered. US $5.46 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Lisa Hartman- Tempt Me (If You Want To)- Rock 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
SHAI...if i ever fall in love CD R&B, HIP HOP VG Cond. 0208314533224 US $0.79 [0 bids]
If You've Ever Been in Love [Single] by Intrigue (CD, Sep-1996, GRG Records) US $0.69 [0 bids]
Olivia Newton-John 45 If You Love Me Let Me Know / Brotherly Love US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 46m
SOLITAIRES doo-wop 45 Chapel Of St. Clair / If I Loved You (red vinyl) - NM US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Red Flag- If I Ever - Rock 12" US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
BROOK BENTON If You Only Knew M- 45 RPM NORTHERN US $45.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
VINCE MARTIN & THE TARRIERS-CINDY/ONLY IF YOU PRAISE THE LORD-(VG+) 1956 US $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Frank Dean: If I could fly / My son 7" 45rpm vinyl record 4c US $23.00 Buy It Now 2h 52m
RONAN KEATING - SHE BELIEVES IN ME CD SINGLE IF TOMORROW NEVER COMES US $3.30 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Sherbet: I'll be coming home / If I had my way 7" 45rpm vinyl record 4c US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
1985 Midge Ure (Ultravox) - If I Was/Piano (Chrysalis) (URE 1-A) US $2.47 [0 bids]
Enchantment: If you're ready / Angel in my life 7" 45rpm vinyl record 4c US $2.00 Buy It Now 3h
Sheryl Crow - Everyday Is A Winding Road / If It Makes You Happy (CD Single) US $5.79 Buy It Now 3h 3m
2x7" Singles "NM Wax" Brenda Lee He's My Rock (??? Sample) Japan If You Love Me US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
RARE Country 45 - Stan Hardin - Don't Call Me Up ... / If You Ever Dream ... US $3.75 [0 bids]
LEON EVERETTE - If I Keep On Going Crazy - Ex LP Record RCA Victor AHL1-3916 US $13.25 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Norman Hutchins - If You Didnt Know Now You Know (2011) - Used - Compact Di US $3.90 Buy It Now 3h 14m
CD: Scream If You Wanna Go Faster - Geri Halliwell US $1.64 [0 bids]
THE KORGIS - IF I HAD YOU 7" VINYL US $7.44 Buy It Now 3h 14m
THE KORGIS - IF I HAD YOU 7" VINYL PS US $9.10 Buy It Now 3h 14m
THE KORGIS - IF IT'S ALRIGHT WITH YOU BABY 7" VINYL US $6.62 Buy It Now 3h 15m
THE KORGIS - IF IT'S ALRIGHT WITH YOU BABY 7" VINYL US $7.44 Buy It Now 3h 15m
THE KORGIS - IF IT'S ALRIGHT WITH YOU BABY 7" VINYL PS US $9.10 Buy It Now 3h 15m
THE LIGHTNING SEEDS - WHAT IF 7" VINYL WHITE LABEL PROMO US $10.76 Buy It Now 3h 17m
IF HOPE DIES - LIFE IN RUIN * - NEW CD US $4.04 Buy It Now 3h 18m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132957) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154432) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458567) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#1039646) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"