IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Dennis Elliott - Drums
J.W. Hodgkinson - Vocals
John Mealing - Keyboards, Vocals
Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

Buy IF If 2 Music

If 2If 2
Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006
$9.22
If 2 by If (2006-03-13)If 2 by If (2006-03-13)
Repertoire
$32.32
If by If (1997-02-25)If by If (1997-02-25)
Edsel
$125.20
IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' by IfIF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' by If
Repertoire Records
$27.86

Last Days Of April - If You Lose It Japan CD+2BONUS NEW USD $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Urufie - If You Know What's Good For Ya Japan CD+2 NEW USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK Even If It Kills Me 2XLP VINYL SEALED 2008 Free Ship! NEW USD $18.88 Buy It Now 2h 36m
PROMO Dance 12" Claudja Barry If I Do It To You (2 Versions) Mirage VG+ 1982 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 44m
2x THE CLOVERS * Nip Sip / If I Could Be Loved By You / Devil Or Angel /Hey Baby USD $9.49 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Rockabilly/Instro RHYTHM ADDICTS-Hot Rod/If You're Square CEE GEE-KILLER 2-SIDER USD $10.95 Buy It Now 4h 32m
If I Had a Song The Songs of Pete Seeger Vol 2 CD & American Favorite Ballads 4 USD $16.09 Buy It Now 6h
KYLIE MINOGUE - If You Were With Me Now - 1991 UK 2-track 7" Vinyl single USD $46.49 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love/Dark Child (radio Edits) -1999 2tk. CD USD $2.66 Buy It Now 8h
22-20s Got It If You Want It 2 CD album (Double CD) Japanese promo USD $36.54 Buy It Now 9h 14m
THE MISSION NO 2--GARDRN IF DELIGHT 1986 CHAP7 NM USD $2.64 [0 bids]
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God UK LP 1988 + Innerbag /2* USD $18.83 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Clay Walker - If I Could Make - Clay Walker CD 2QVG The Fast Free Shipping USD $4.50 Buy It Now 10h 38m
LP< USD $13.00 Buy It Now 11h 46m
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy - Rare UK 1trk Redanka promo CD USD $33.20 Buy It Now 11h 47m
SUZI QUATRO If You Knew Suzi CD oz aussie RAK/EMI 432004-2 Legendary Masters USD $26.10 Buy It Now 12h 13m
Luciano Pavarotti - If We Were In Love 7" - PAVO 2 - Ex USD $5.30 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Billy Ocean ?- L.I.F.E. (Love Is For Ever) - 2 CD Set - Greatest Hits / Best Of USD $6.64 Buy It Now 13h 11m
If - 2 (2014) (NEW CD) USD $14.93 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Yanni 2-CD Lot - Winter Light + If I Could Tell You (1999 / 2000 Private Music) USD $7.50 Buy It Now 14h 24m
The Bluetones - If... 3 track CD single - 582 461-2 - VG USD $4.32 Buy It Now 14h 40m
CLAIRE HAMILL - If you'd talk to me - 1985 UK 2-track 7" vinyl single USD $19.92 Buy It Now 15h 9m
2 * One Inch Punch CD Singles - If / Secrets of the... IOP USD $1.98 [0 bids]
Solomon Burke - If You Need Me + 2 Bonus Tracks (Vinyl Used Like New) USD $12.80 Buy It Now 15h 33m
LENNY KRAVITZ - IF I COULD FALL IN LOVE -2 TRACK RARE PROMO- (CARD SLEEVE) USD $2.61 Buy It Now 15h 33m
Incubus ?- If Not Now, When? EICP-1459 JAPAN CD A2 USD $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 43m
FABULOUS WUNZ:If I Cry 2:00- Please 1:44-U.S. 7" 1966 Pyramid 6- 6934,N.C.Garage USD $98.98 Buy It Now 16h 35m
"If There Is Light, It Will Find You" Senses Fail 11" x 17" Poster 2/16/18 NEW USD $19.00 Buy It Now 17h 26m
MAR-TEKS:If I'm Gonna Be Your Man 2:55-Don't Take It Out(On Me)-Big "C" Records USD $174.98 Buy It Now 17h 28m
Daughter - Not To Disappear & If You Leave (Albums Bundle) - 2 x Vinyl LP *NEW* USD $50.48 Buy It Now 17h 30m
VOCALOID CD IF THE WORLD 2 Japan import Hatsune MIKU Hitoshizuku x Yama USD $19.99 Buy It Now 17h 56m
SMITHS 7" 45 RPM RARE USA PIC SLEEVE 7 28136 A SR2 SIRE 9 28136 7 STOP ME IF YOU USD $37.89 Buy It Now 17h 56m
Fisher Price- If You're Happy and You Know It 2 CD SET, NEW, SEALED USD $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
JENNIFER LOPEZ - IF YOU HAD MY LOVE (CD2) - 3 TRACK CD SINGLE - 1999 COLUMBIA USD $2.25 Buy It Now 18h 20m
If-If 2 VINYL NEW USD $45.03 Buy It Now 18h 24m
Chip Tyler If You Ask Me Chicory 2nd Soul Northern Motown USD $33.22 Buy It Now 18h 40m
Pogues Cassette Tapes Lot Of 2 if I should peace and love 3p USD $25.00 Buy It Now 18h 54m
Paula Durante If He Were Mine Gjm 2nd Soul Northern Motown USD $26.57 Buy It Now 18h 56m
If Not Now, e2K, Very Good USD $2.51 Buy It Now 18h 59m
Impaler: If We Had Brains We'd Be Dangerous CD 1999 Century Media CM 66051-2 NEW USD $10.95 Buy It Now 19h 13m
U2 If God Will Send His Angels CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CID684 ISLAND 1997 USD $11.29 Buy It Now 19h 38m
If I Can't Change Your Mind Sugar (90s) 2-CD single (Double CD single) UK USD $30.08 Buy It Now 19h 50m
WARREN SMITH I'VE GOT LOVE IF YOU WANT IT SUN 286 2nd Soul Northern Motown USD $7.97 Buy It Now 20h 2m
Dena Barnes (split in run out) If You Ever Walked Out Of My Life Inferno 2nd Sou USD $33.22 Buy It Now 20h 16m
If I Say + Patch / Sealed King Of The Hill UK 7" vinyl single record KOTHS2 USD $14.55 Buy It Now 20h 32m
Lightning Seeds What If.. UK CD single (CD5 / 5") 663863-2 EPIC 1996 USD $12.61 Buy It Now 20h 32m
Diana Ross If We Hold On Together - Part 2 CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CDEM257 USD $12.61 Buy It Now 20h 40m
Damage So What If I UK 2-CD single (Double CD single) CDCOOL357 EMI 2001 USD $15.27 Buy It Now 20h 40m
Enya Only If... CD single (CD5 / 5") USA 17266-2 WARNER BROS 1997 USD $21.91 Buy It Now 20h 40m
IF I EVER SEE YOU AGAIN SOUNDTRACK 2WB3199 1978-LP/Vinyl/Record USD $6.99 Buy It Now 21h
If I Have To Stand Alone Lonnie Gordon CD album (CDLP) Australian 656.549-2 USD $20.58 Buy It Now 21h 2m
If I Ever Lose My Faith - 2 track Sting French CD single (CD5 / 5") 580172-2 USD $15.27 Buy It Now 21h 2m
Eartha Kitt If I Love Ya Then I Need Ya UK CD single (CD5 / 5") 7432119034-2 USD $12.61 Buy It Now 21h 7m
If You Had My Love [Single] by Jennifer Lopez (Cd Jun-1999) [2 Versions] USD $3.25 Buy It Now 21h 26m
YVONNE ELLIMAN - If I Cant Have You - 1978 UK 2-track 7" Vinyl Single USD $9.29 Buy It Now 21h 32m
Dena Barnes If You Ever Walk Out Of My Life Inferno 2nd Soul Northern Motown USD $46.50 Buy It Now 21h 57m
Nolan Porter If I Could Only Be Sure Probe 2C 008 - 95 102 Soul Northern Motown USD $298.96 Buy It Now 22h 4m
Drake IF YOU'RE READING THIS IT'S TOO LATE Mixtape GATEFOLD New Vinyl 2 LP USD $29.99 Buy It Now 22h 23m
Diana Ross If We Hold On Together CD2 UK CD Single USD $3.97 Buy It Now 22h 27m
BILLY CRASH CRADDOCK - IF I COULD WRITE A SONG - 45rpm - (M-2) USD $1.60 Buy It Now 23h 31m
THE STATLER BROTHERS - IF IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE - 45rpm - (M-2) USD $1.50 Buy It Now 23h 38m
2Z OJ 1000 DOO WOP BOBBY CHANDLER & HIS STARDUSTERS IF YOU LOVED ME IM SERIOUS USD $22.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Candice Pacheco - If Then... Else - CD (RGB503-2 1995 RGB) USD $14.91 Buy It Now 1 day
THEE PROPHET: To Be With You 2:40- If You Would Leave Me-U.S. 7" Tee Pee Records USD $164.98 Buy It Now 1 day
DRAKE If You're Reading This It's Too Late 2x LP NEW VINYL Cash Money OVO Lil Wa USD $37.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ELVIS PRESLEY Rock Inspirational 2CD Classic Great IF I CAN DREAM KING CREOLE USD $16.05 Buy It Now 1 day
SHERYL CROW,"If It Makes You Happy", "Keep On Growing" 2 Song PROMO CD USD $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
New Music Record City And Colour "If I Should Go Before You" 2xLP USD $26.85 Buy It Now 1 day
New Music Record Motion City Soundtrack" Even If It Kills Me" 2xLP USD $25.36 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS - IF YOU TOLERATE THIS CD2 (CD single) USD $2.79 Buy It Now 1 day
COG - WHAT IF -2 TRACK CD- (CARD SLEEVE) USD $5.22 Buy It Now 1 day
KING OF THE HILL 12" VINYL SINGLE P/S IF I SAY & POSTER 12KOTHP 2 1991 EX " USD $9.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Dorothy Squires - "If I Had A Chance" 7" (1977) / "Passing Strangers" / REF2 USD $2.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicago if you leave me now 2 track 7" vinyl (U.S release) USD $13.27 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB DYLAN - IF DOGS RUN FREE (2 CD, Tambourine Man) USD $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Could Tell You by Yanni (CD, Oct-2000, 2 Discs, Virgin) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LEMAR If She Knew CD 2 Track B/w Fall Over (88697395652) EUROPE Epic 2008 USD $5.57 Buy It Now 1 day
KINGOFTHEHILL~IF I SAY b/w PURPLE HAZE (Live!) ~SBK RECORDS KOTH2 1991~ Nr MINT USD $13.29 Buy It Now 1 day
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN PHYSICAL/IF YOU LOVE ME, LET ME KNOW VINYL ALBUMS X 2 USD $17.26 Buy It Now 1 day
STING - WE'LL BE TOGETHER / IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE - 2 X 12" SINGLES USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM 2 Mercurys by Vic Damone, If, U and Your Beautiful Eyes, Panis Angel V+ USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM 2 Majestic by Phil Regan, If I Had My Way, By Light Silvery o, Cuddle Up V USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM 2 Hits by Peter Piper, If U Please /Sunday Monday, Widow Brown,Id Do It V USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE~"IF I WERE BRITTANIA I'D WAIVE THE RULES"~AMLH 68377~A2/B2 1st~76'~ EX/EX USD $34.53 Buy It Now 1 day
GORDON LIGHTFOOT IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND PS 7"45 REPRISE N-66-2 PORTUGAL USD $29.00 Buy It Now 1 day
R & B 45 THE HARLEMAIRES IF YOU MEAN WHAT YOU SAY ON ATLANTIC VG+ 2ND PRESS USD $7.50 Buy It Now 1 day
PURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE - IF THE SHOE FITS / JUST FLY / DANCE 2CDs (NEW USD $10.62 Buy It Now 1 day
LINEAR/CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE Heartache Lies T.L.C.If You Go Away 2 RARE NEW CDs USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ted Nugent - 2xLP - Little Miss Dangerous + If You Can't Lick 'Em / 2x Albums NM USD $12.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Tom Robinson Band"2,4,6,8 MotorwaySing If You're Glad to be Gay"12"45 UK PRESS USD $2.92 Buy It Now 1 day
MIDGE URE - If I Was - 1985 UK Chrysalis 2-track 7" Vinyl Single.. USD $13.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Fisher Price Children's Songs If You're Happy and You Know It 2 CDs Sealed USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
45** WLP PROMO**FIRST BORN ATLANTIC RECORDS IF THIS IS OUR LAST TIME X 2 EX COPY USD $5.29 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM Columbia 37092 Claude Thornhill, Its a Pity 2 Say Goodnight/If U Were t V+ USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM Bluebird 7795 Willie Farmer, If I Loved You More/Is That the Way 2 Tre V- USD $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LOT OF 2 78 RPM PERRY COMO RCA VICTOR IF / ZING ZING ZOOM ZOOM / GARDEN IN RAIN USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
12" SINGLE MERCI-MERCY IF THERE'S A CHANCE X 2 ON RUNAWAY RECORDS IN SHRINK USD $4.19 Buy It Now 1 day
K.D Lang If I were you 2 mix U.S.A Promo CD single USD $1.32 [0 bids]
LFO (Lyte funkie ones) If I can't have you 2 mix 1998 CD single cardboard sleeve USD $1.32 [0 bids]
Tenor Solo " If I Knock The " L " Out of Kelly " Little Wonder 5 1/2In USD $12.76 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Review by apps79
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars Released in the same year as their first album in 1970, `If 2' saw English jazz/fusion/rock band If deliver a follow-up album that was just as good, if just a little more instantly approachable than the debut. One of the things that makes this album such a winner is that, in addition to the obviously top-notch musical displays and improvisational skills of the musicians, the band have crafted those elements to a selection of accessible and melodic tunes, without really being any more overly commercial. Soul, psych, funk, jazz and heavy R&B styles are all blended seamlessly with a hard rocking sound, with thrilling instrumental runs carefully executed between strong vocal passages. Oh, and it also happens to groove like a mutha-effer the whole time!!

`Your City is Falling' opens the album in gutsy and up-tempo fashion. A catchy tune sung with bellowing conviction by lead singer J.W Hodgkinson is powered by Dennis Elliott's snappy drumming, John Mealing's nimble Hammond organ ripples and relentless dual saxophone attacks from Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey. The scathing lyric seem to be condemning watching the city you love change around you, the line "Half religious mockeries that robbed the man who died" is especially vivid, and the repeated exasperated mention of "All the restaurants?" just drives the message home perfectly. The gently melancholic `Sunday Sad' is psychedelic and drowsy, with lovely dreamy flute giving way to Terry Smith's Spanish-style slow-burn guitar solo in the middle that bubbles under and eventually erupts with lusty splintering fire, Jim Richardson's chasing bass stalking the whole time. `Tarmac T. Pirate' (check out the full nonsense title!) is a compact shorter vocal rocker dominated by Hodkinson, but the whole band offering quick little instrumental fills around him throughout.

`I couldn't Write and Tell You' opens the second side, with relentless bass, confident sax blaring and nimble jazzy guitar licks that turn into a psychedelic storm, but a sympathetic heartfelt restrained vocal in the middle over wistful flute is a nice break. `Shadows and Echoes' is a smooth soul ballad, showing that the band was equally convincing on slower, thoughtful numbers as the high energy ones. Reflective flute, lovely harmonies, a warm croon from Hodgkinson and Terry's unexpected nimble-fingered fretboard run in the center is the highlight. `I believe this girl's about to fly...' declares J.W on closer `A Song For Elsa', and fly it damn well does! It's a honking R&B stomper with a roaring vocal, furious propulsive instrumental jamming that alternates with smoky bluesy sax ruminations.

Especially worthwhile is the recent Repertoire Records CD/DVD reissue. Not only is the main album sounding absolutely wonderful, but a short bonus DVD of live vintage footage from 1971 is included. While visually it's fairly average quality, the energy of the live performance from the band is intoxicating, and, not surprising to discover, singer J.W Hodgkinson is a stocky mountain of a man, performing with power and finesse. Several of the tracks from `If 2' are performed, and it's interesting to note just how tightly written they are, as they're not all that different from the studio versions, just with a little added urgency the live environment brings.

Running just over 35 minutes, there's not enough time for any filler material to emerge, as `If 2' races through a range of fusion styles and sounds, expertly played by a bunch of top- notch musicians. It's one of the damn coolest albums in my collection, and just as special to me as If-offshoot Zzebra's second album `Panic', and it never fails to lift my mood. It's been in my collection for some years now, and after dozens upon dozens of listens, it still sounds like sheer musical perfection to my ears!

Five stars.

Review by tszirmay
4 stars I am such an ass! Going through 45 years without hearing something as marvelous as British jazz-rock legends IF is a crying shame. If I only knew IF! LOL. So what did it take to get me up to speed after such a long period of inertia? A stupendous review by my Aussie music mate Michael reminded me that I had been missing out on something quite delicious in view of my profound adoration of Nucleus, Soft Machine, Isotope, Traffic, Sunbirds, Wigwam and even Tasavallan Presidentti! I was perhaps misguided in hearing comments about similarities with Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears , both of which are not exactly in my range of goodies.

I opted for the deluxe DVD/CD package of the IF "2" release, a beauty that has a live DVD recording as well as the studio effort, all nicely put together with an amazing booklet, artwork etc?I was already familiar with keyboard whiz John Mealing (who later graduated to Passport and the Strawbs) as well as accomplished drummer Dennis Elliott who of course became a famous Foreigner. Dick Morrisey is a sax legend, so I knew enough to be at least conscious of their existence but the big surprise for me was guitarist Terry Smith, a wicked stylist with amazing technique a la Steve Cropper (blues and a distinct RnB country feel), a rock solid bass player in Jim Richardson and a real cool vocalist in J.W. Hodgkinson. I had never heard of these three, so I was in for a thrill. Though this is late 60s music , it stills smokes quite brightly and is a joy ride from beginning to end, it got me thinking that we would need some upbeat stuff like this in our currently apathetic/doom-laden culture. (Sorry Pharell but "Happy" is not quite enough to heal the world).

Things begin in radiant fashion with a sprightly "Your City is Falling", Hodgkinson grabbing the mike stand and showing who is the boss, while the lads pummel mightily in the background. The mood is balmy, warm and inviting, a really faultless opening salvo that sets the tone perfectly.

An extended platform for improvisation is the 8 minute+ "Sunday Sad", a Spanish guitar motif finds itself escorted by a flute caress which then quickly merges into a slick rambler that fumes, smokes, smolders and rages with torrid passion, fueled by the loaded double brass assault of Quincy and Morrissey on saxophones and another fine vocal performance by J.W. Bassist Richardson carves some manic grooves while Terry Smith does a splendid job on his axe, a gritty and sulphurous affair that is just awe-inspiring. Mealing's grumpy organ is shoved along by Elliott's sturdy drumming and lo and behold, this is such exhilarating music!

The Brits love their weird song titles (hello Canterbury lads) and "Tarmac T and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" (what year? 1969, hmmm, pretty racy, wot?) certainly qualifies, a bluesy trippy ditty with a manic vocal that has a definite Traffic/BST feel, spread-eagled by a sick sax flirting overtly with the fuzzy wuzzy organ (that is innuendo-laden wordplay for you), sensual and sexual jazz-rock with some serious soul.

Driving your vintage MG or Triumph Spitfire, propelled by a bass-mad "I Couldn't Write and Tell You", gives the music a down to earth meaning, surprising the listener with inimitable genius, a flute from nowhere, a consistently believable vocal delivery , a solid beat and some glittering solos all within its 8 minute sinews. Terry Smith glitters on his axe, a blistering technique that nears supersonic speeds, frenzied and acidic. Wow! Has anyone noticed where my jaw landed? Yeah, baby!

Smooth? You want some velvety class , well it does not get creamier than the suave breeze heard on "Shadows and Echoes", sounding like some jazz toone from the 50s movies, a cool cat skinning his brushes, upright bass bopping along while the crisp and clear guitar does some marauding. A wide mouthed vocal again does the trick, versatile and groovy.

Hey, you wanna another oddball song title, look no further than the quirky "A Song For Elsa, Three Days Before her 23rd Birthday", I mean, C'mon! Doggone it when Brits can out soul the Yanks, and that's including the 'brothers'! At least in musical terms, British blues and jazz bands of the 60s and 70s certainly played a part in emancipating white crowds into getting off on black music (Hey, Jimi, How ya doin'?). Here Quincy and Morrissey play majestically, a pure joy and total marvel to witness and revel in.

What a great record and I can bury my ignorance now by pursuing the entire catalogue!

Merci, Michael!

4.5 Rudyard Kiplings

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 8, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"