IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

Capitol
Vinyl$19.99 (used)
Capitol
Vinyl$25.99 (used)
ENMV DIXIE DREGS 2 CAPRICORN LP RECORDS FREEFALL 1977 WHAT IF 1978 NM VINYL USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
ENMV VIC DANA 2 LIBERTY LPS IF I NEVER KNEW YOUR NAME SHANGRI-LA NM- VINYL USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
JOHN WALKER:"IF YOU GO AWAY".1967 PHILIPS MONO.NEAR MINT+1L/2L MATRIXES.SUPERB! USD $15.65 Buy It Now 1h 50m
CHUCK CISSEL ** Just For You / If I Had The Chance ** 2 ALBUMS ON 1 CD USD $12.52 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Stephen Cummings - Unguided Tour / If I Had Some Money - CD - (2CD) New Sealed USD $21.92 Buy It Now 4h 11m
WALKING ON CARS CATCH ME IF YOU CAN RARE 2 TRACK PROMO CD USD $17.51 [10 bids]
If You Buy This Record [CD 2] USD $1.77 Buy It Now 8h 37m
Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth [CD 1] [CD 2] USD $1.77 Buy It Now 8h 37m
If I Never See You Again [CD 2] USD $1.77 Buy It Now 8h 38m
If You Had My Love [CD 2] USD $1.77 Buy It Now 8h 41m
If We Hold On Together - Part 2 USD $1.77 Buy It Now 8h 42m
So What If I [CD2] USD $1.77 Buy It Now 8h 42m
If I Stay Original Soundtrack (Gatefold sleeve) [180 gm 2LP black. 8718469537280 USD $37.11 Buy It Now 8h 48m
FREE 2for1 OFFER-The Pogues- If I Should Fall From Grace With GodIsland- 90872-1 USD $39.98 Buy It Now 9h 14m
2 45 PS NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK PROMO YOU GOT IT THE RIGHT STUFF OMD IF YOU LEAVE USD $8.25 Buy It Now 10h 21m
if ever i see you again joseph brooks gf shelley hack M- 2LPs USD $16.19 Buy It Now 10h 33m
AUTOMATIC What if 2 UNRELEASED CD Single NICK LAUNAY USD $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
TRINI LOPEZ -- IF I HAD A HAMMER-Super rare !2" white label in excellent cond. USD $9.38 Buy It Now 12h 43m
MASSED MILITARY BANDS If I Were King Overture Part 1 & 2 10" 78 PARLOPHONE E6139 USD $20.33 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Keren Peles - Flood, If This Is Life (2CD's +1 DVD )??? ??? USD $35.85 Buy It Now 13h 35m
Sasha / Princessa 1999 If You Believe I Won't Forget You Taiwan 2 Track Promo CD USD $49.99 Buy It Now 14h 9m
If You Could Read My Mind(2 versions)/Somebody's Eyes(12 Inch Single Record/Viny USD $17.52 Buy It Now 14h 26m
2 Much Featuring Kool-E - So Strong / If Ya Not Dancin 12", W/Lbl USD $15.65 Buy It Now 15h 24m
NIGHT WALKERS: Why? 4:16-If I Can Reach You 2:56-U.S. 7" API ARI 4501,Ontario USD $148.98 Buy It Now 15h 46m
If I Could Tell You by Yanni (CD, Oct-2000, 2 Discs, Virgin) USD $6.83 Buy It Now 16h
KENNY LOGGINS - IF YOU BELIEVE 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS269 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 18m
GARY MORRIS 2xCASSETTE TAPES Faded Blue/What If We Fall In Love CRYSTAL GAYLE USD $2.99 Buy It Now 16h 25m
SLOW CLUB - If We're Still Alive. rare UK 2 track CD +press (Buy 3 = Free P USD $3.10 Buy It Now 16h 41m
LONDON GRAMMAR If You Wait - Shy FX Remix UK one-sided vinyl 7"UNPLAYED MAD009T2 USD $23.46 Buy It Now 16h 46m
* FEARGAL SHARKEY "IF THIS IS LOVE" VIRGIN 1988 PROMO - 2 TRACK 12" VINYL SINGLE USD $4.99 Buy It Now 17h 15m
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 2 Tk Cassette Single) USD $3.90 Buy It Now 17h 57m
* SHERYL CROW - If It Makes You Happy [2 track ep] USD $4.95 Buy It Now 18h 15m
IF/2 UK ILPS9137 USD $108.00 Buy It Now 19h 31m
Jazz 45 Prestige ETTA JONES Dont Go To Strangers - If I Had You 180 RVG EB45J2 USD $16.99 Buy It Now 19h 47m
KINGOFTHEHILL - If I Say Promo CD Single, with Inserts - 3 Tracks 2 Radio Edits USD $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 22m
2 Freddy Fender Records: If you're ever in Texas; Before the next Teardrop Falls USD $5.99 Buy It Now 20h 37m
MOE BANDY 2pc LOT 45s RECORDS MEXICO WINTER - ONLY IF THERE IS ANOTHER YOU USD $3.99 Buy It Now 21h 31m
NADA SURF**IF I HAD A HI-FI (W/DOWNLOAD/GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET USD $16.60 Buy It Now 21h 40m
Hanson If Only Rare Australian 2 Part CD Single Includes Live Tracks USD $12.42 Buy It Now 22h 32m
R KELLY If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time (1999 US 2-track promo CD +CD ROM USD $8.00 Buy It Now 23h 18m
CLINTON GREGORY 2-CD LOT: Freeborn Man; If It Weren't for Country Music I'd Go.. USD $8.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Mindless Self Indulgence - If 180 Gram Vinyl 2xLP SEALED Out of Print w/download USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Glasvegas - If - Scarce UK 2trk promo CD USD $7.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Enya Only If... USA CD single (CD5 / 5") 17266-2 WARNER BROS 1997 USD $31.73 Buy It Now 1 day
MENTAL AS ANYTHING_If You Leave Me Can I Cum_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_J2c USD $8.77 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight EUROPEAON SINGLE CD NEW SEALED USD $47.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Hanson IF ONLY European Import 2-trk CD Single In Cardboard Picture Sleeve USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES AND I LOVE HER IF I FELL FANTASY CAPITOL SLEEVE #2 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Grace If I Could Fly UK CD single (CD5 / 5") 0630-16306-2 PERFECTO 1996 USD $11.54 Buy It Now 1 day
Dead Milkmen If I Has A Gun USA CD single (CD5 / 5") HR-61409-2 USD $20.80 Buy It Now 1 day
2 Billy Dean 45 records EUC juke slips If There Hadn't Been You / She's Taken USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CISSEL CHUCK - JUST FOR YOU / IF I HAD A CHAN - EXP2CD33 USD $16.47 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Can't Change Your Mind Sugar (90s) 2-CD single (Double CD single) UK USD $35.43 Buy It Now 1 day
STATUS QUO if you can't stand the heat LP PS EX/EX 1/1 2/1 USD $14.40 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 If God Will Send His Angels CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CID684 ISLAND 1997 USD $13.30 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 If God Will Send His Angels / Mofo UK 2-CD single (Double CD single) USD $19.78 Buy It Now 1 day
Barton, Eileen - If I Knew You Were Comin' 2-CD - Pop Vocal USD $21.27 Buy It Now 1 day
RUTHIE MORRISSEY-BONNIE MARY,ARGYLE/IF U EVER GO OVER 2 IRELAND AVOCA 5037 VG 45 USD $7.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK 2 CD Lot: Even If It Kills Me & Commit This to Memory USD $14.37 Buy It Now 1 day
THE KORGIS - If I Had You - 1979 Rialto label 2-track 7" vinyl single USD $7.81 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC 8 Track Tape Lot of 3. Powerage, Highway 2 Hell, & If You Want Blood USD $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
2 X Betty Johnson 7" Records- Little White Lies, I Dreamed, If It's Wrong To... USD $3.11 [0 bids]
London Grammar If You Wait 2xLP sealed vinyl USD $29.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawthorne Heights : If Only You Were Lonely (2CDs) (2006) USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Mark Kozelek If You Want Blood Rare OOP 2LP Vinyl Record Wax Badman Sun Kil Moon USD $149.99 [0 bids]
USD $199.99 Buy It Now
London Grammar - If You Wait +2BOUNS 16 TRACK JAPAN CD OBI SEALED USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Thrice - If We Could See Us Now [DVD] (2CDs) (2005) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO Greatest Hits Volume II LP Vinyl Vol. 2 Old Days If You Leave Me Now USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Various : As If (2CDs) (2001) USD $3.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Blake Shelton Sure Be Cool If You Did 2013 2 track CD single factory sealed USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Sting: If on a Winter's Night... [CD & DVD] [Limited Deluxe 2 Disc] SEALED, cut USD $2.99 [0 bids]
If You Could Read My Mind - 2 DISC SET - Cameron Carpenter (CD Used Very Good) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
linnie howard spheres pl-349 if you want to be true pt1 and pt2 USD $80.00 Buy It Now 1 day
AN3-Blink If You Want Me t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) USD $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawthorne Heights - If Only You Were Lonely (2 X CD) USD $3.08 Buy It Now 2 days
AC/DC If You Want Blood You've Got It UK LP A2 B2 Atlantic 1978 USD $9.38 Buy It Now 2 days
2-in-1 cd 'gary allan - tough all over / see if I care' USD $4.68 [0 bids]
If - If 2 + If Live In Liverpool (NEW CD+DVD) USD $19.94 Buy It Now 2 days
ACDC_If You Want Blood You've Got It_used cassette_ships from AUS!_G2 USD $14.62 Buy It Now 2 days
Sheryl Crow - (1996). CD. Looks unplayed. 540 590-2. If It Makes You Happy USD $2.74 Buy It Now 2 days
If I Never See You Again [CD 2]. Wet Wet Wet. Looks hardly played USD $2.35 Buy It Now 2 days
Bernie Lowe Orchestra(Vinyl LP)If The Big Bands Were Here Today Volume 2-VG/VG+ USD $20.99 Buy It Now 2 days
L.I.F.E. Long Cuts & Collabos 2 CD USD $4.22 Buy It Now 2 days
If You Want It (2-Track) - Omd (CD Single Used Very Good) USD $3.76 Buy It Now 2 days
PHIL MOORE If U Were The Only Girl In The World/This Love Of Mine-Side2 CPic 45 USD $1.89 Buy It Now 2 days
THE CRUISERS IF I KNEW ON V-TONE VG+ ORIGINAL 2ND PRESS USD $20.50 Buy It Now 2 days
MARK SHO GARDEN moody world / if ups were downs CUTA RUG 45-2 USD $1.89 Buy It Now 2 days
AC/DC: (2 CDs) Who Made Who & If You Want Blood (VG+) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 2 days
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight Rare Sealed CD Single USD $4.68 [0 bids]
Sugar Sugar- Bouncing Up (If I Counted The Stars)- Rock2X45 SEALED USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
A WHISPER IN THE NOISE/IF THOUSANDS - 2D (LIM.EDITION) CD NEW+ USD $22.29 Buy It Now 2 days
Solomon Burke IF YOU NEED ME/ROCK 'N' SOUL (CD, Collectables, 1998) 2 LPs, 1 CD USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
2 tracks PROMO cd single JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP WHAT IF I CAME KNOCKING USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mindy McGready - 2 CDs! - TEN THOUSAND ANGELS & IF I DON'T STAY THE NIGHT - USD $3.47 Buy It Now 2 days
A.M. If I Was The Sheriff CD 2 Track B/w Revoluta With Promo Info Stickered Case USD $2.74 Buy It Now 2 days
2 PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD 4 Track Soulpower Hip Hop Radio Mix B/w USD $7.81 Buy It Now 2 days
BISHOPS If You Leave Today CD 2 Track With Info Stickered Card Sleeve B/w By Yo USD $7.81 Buy It Now 2 days
CLOCKS Old Valve Radio CD 2 Track In Card Sleeve With Inner B/w If You Want It USD $3.10 Buy It Now 2 days
BURNING BRIDES Sampler CD 2 Track Promo Featuring Glass Slipper And If I'm A Man USD $3.13 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Review by apps79
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars Released in the same year as their first album in 1970, `If 2' saw English jazz/fusion/rock band If deliver a follow-up album that was just as good, if just a little more instantly approachable than the debut. One of the things that makes this album such a winner is that, in addition to the obviously top-notch musical displays and improvisational skills of the musicians, the band have crafted those elements to a selection of accessible and melodic tunes, without really being any more overly commercial. Soul, psych, funk, jazz and heavy R&B styles are all blended seamlessly with a hard rocking sound, with thrilling instrumental runs carefully executed between strong vocal passages. Oh, and it also happens to groove like a mutha-effer the whole time!!

`Your City is Falling' opens the album in gutsy and up-tempo fashion. A catchy tune sung with bellowing conviction by lead singer J.W Hodgkinson is powered by Dennis Elliott's snappy drumming, John Mealing's nimble Hammond organ ripples and relentless dual saxophone attacks from Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey. The scathing lyric seem to be condemning watching the city you love change around you, the line "Half religious mockeries that robbed the man who died" is especially vivid, and the repeated exasperated mention of "All the restaurants?" just drives the message home perfectly. The gently melancholic `Sunday Sad' is psychedelic and drowsy, with lovely dreamy flute giving way to Terry Smith's Spanish-style slow-burn guitar solo in the middle that bubbles under and eventually erupts with lusty splintering fire, Jim Richardson's chasing bass stalking the whole time. `Tarmac T. Pirate' (check out the full nonsense title!) is a compact shorter vocal rocker dominated by Hodkinson, but the whole band offering quick little instrumental fills around him throughout.

`I couldn't Write and Tell You' opens the second side, with relentless bass, confident sax blaring and nimble jazzy guitar licks that turn into a psychedelic storm, but a sympathetic heartfelt restrained vocal in the middle over wistful flute is a nice break. `Shadows and Echoes' is a smooth soul ballad, showing that the band was equally convincing on slower, thoughtful numbers as the high energy ones. Reflective flute, lovely harmonies, a warm croon from Hodgkinson and Terry's unexpected nimble-fingered fretboard run in the center is the highlight. `I believe this girl's about to fly...' declares J.W on closer `A Song For Elsa', and fly it damn well does! It's a honking R&B stomper with a roaring vocal, furious propulsive instrumental jamming that alternates with smoky bluesy sax ruminations.

Especially worthwhile is the recent Repertoire Records CD/DVD reissue. Not only is the main album sounding absolutely wonderful, but a short bonus DVD of live vintage footage from 1971 is included. While visually it's fairly average quality, the energy of the live performance from the band is intoxicating, and, not surprising to discover, singer J.W Hodgkinson is a stocky mountain of a man, performing with power and finesse. Several of the tracks from `If 2' are performed, and it's interesting to note just how tightly written they are, as they're not all that different from the studio versions, just with a little added urgency the live environment brings.

Running just over 35 minutes, there's not enough time for any filler material to emerge, as `If 2' races through a range of fusion styles and sounds, expertly played by a bunch of top- notch musicians. It's one of the damn coolest albums in my collection, and just as special to me as If-offshoot Zzebra's second album `Panic', and it never fails to lift my mood. It's been in my collection for some years now, and after dozens upon dozens of listens, it still sounds like sheer musical perfection to my ears!

Five stars.

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I am such an ass! Going through 45 years without hearing something as marvelous as British jazz-rock legends IF is a crying shame. If I only knew IF! LOL. So what did it take to get me up to speed after such a long period of inertia? A stupendous review by my Aussie music mate Michael reminded me that I had been missing out on something quite delicious in view of my profound adoration of Nucleus, Soft Machine, Isotope, Traffic, Sunbirds, Wigwam and even Tasavallan Presidentti! I was perhaps misguided in hearing comments about similarities with Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears , both of which are not exactly in my range of goodies.

I opted for the deluxe DVD/CD package of the IF "2" release, a beauty that has a live DVD recording as well as the studio effort, all nicely put together with an amazing booklet, artwork etc?I was already familiar with keyboard whiz John Mealing (who later graduated to Passport and the Strawbs) as well as accomplished drummer Dennis Elliott who of course became a famous Foreigner. Dick Morrisey is a sax legend, so I knew enough to be at least conscious of their existence but the big surprise for me was guitarist Terry Smith, a wicked stylist with amazing technique a la Steve Cropper (blues and a distinct RnB country feel), a rock solid bass player in Jim Richardson and a real cool vocalist in J.W. Hodgkinson. I had never heard of these three, so I was in for a thrill. Though this is late 60s music , it stills smokes quite brightly and is a joy ride from beginning to end, it got me thinking that we would need some upbeat stuff like this in our currently apathetic/doom-laden culture. (Sorry Pharell but "Happy" is not quite enough to heal the world).

Things begin in radiant fashion with a sprightly "Your City is Falling", Hodgkinson grabbing the mike stand and showing who is the boss, while the lads pummel mightily in the background. The mood is balmy, warm and inviting, a really faultless opening salvo that sets the tone perfectly.

An extended platform for improvisation is the 8 minute+ "Sunday Sad", a Spanish guitar motif finds itself escorted by a flute caress which then quickly merges into a slick rambler that fumes, smokes, smolders and rages with torrid passion, fueled by the loaded double brass assault of Quincy and Morrissey on saxophones and another fine vocal performance by J.W. Bassist Richardson carves some manic grooves while Terry Smith does a splendid job on his axe, a gritty and sulphurous affair that is just awe-inspiring. Mealing's grumpy organ is shoved along by Elliott's sturdy drumming and lo and behold, this is such exhilarating music!

The Brits love their weird song titles (hello Canterbury lads) and "Tarmac T and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" (what year? 1969, hmmm, pretty racy, wot?) certainly qualifies, a bluesy trippy ditty with a manic vocal that has a definite Traffic/BST feel, spread-eagled by a sick sax flirting overtly with the fuzzy wuzzy organ (that is innuendo-laden wordplay for you), sensual and sexual jazz-rock with some serious soul.

Driving your vintage MG or Triumph Spitfire, propelled by a bass-mad "I Couldn't Write and Tell You", gives the music a down to earth meaning, surprising the listener with inimitable genius, a flute from nowhere, a consistently believable vocal delivery , a solid beat and some glittering solos all within its 8 minute sinews. Terry Smith glitters on his axe, a blistering technique that nears supersonic speeds, frenzied and acidic. Wow! Has anyone noticed where my jaw landed? Yeah, baby!

Smooth? You want some velvety class , well it does not get creamier than the suave breeze heard on "Shadows and Echoes", sounding like some jazz toone from the 50s movies, a cool cat skinning his brushes, upright bass bopping along while the crisp and clear guitar does some marauding. A wide mouthed vocal again does the trick, versatile and groovy.

Hey, you wanna another oddball song title, look no further than the quirky "A Song For Elsa, Three Days Before her 23rd Birthday", I mean, C'mon! Doggone it when Brits can out soul the Yanks, and that's including the 'brothers'! At least in musical terms, British blues and jazz bands of the 60s and 70s certainly played a part in emancipating white crowds into getting off on black music (Hey, Jimi, How ya doin'?). Here Quincy and Morrissey play majestically, a pure joy and total marvel to witness and revel in.

What a great record and I can bury my ignorance now by pursuing the entire catalogue!

Merci, Michael!

4.5 Rudyard Kiplings

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"