IF 3

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP UNITED ARTISTS UAG29158 (UK) (1971)
LP CAPITOL SMAS820 (US) (1971)
CD REPERTOIRE (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to bsurmano for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 3 Music

If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
3 by If3 by If
Repertoire Records
IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' By If (2012-12-03)IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' By If (2012-12-03)
Repertoire Records
If 2 by If (2006-03-27)If 2 by If (2006-03-27)
Repertoire
If 3If 3
Sunrise 2004
If 3 (USA 1st pressing vinyl LP)If 3 (USA 1st pressing vinyl LP)
Capitol
Vinyl$14.99 (used)
If 3 by IfIf 3 by If
Sunrise
If by If (2004-03-23)If by If (2004-03-23)
Hangar 1018
Pop EP - Bobby Darin - If A Man Answers +3 - Scripto Promo item - 1962 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
ROLLING STONES If you need me +3 EP 45 1964 Decca SDGE 80797 SPAIN ed USD $90.00 [0 bids]
RISE IF THE GIRL GROUPS-SHES SO FINE-V/A -3CD- RISE IF THE GIRL GROUPS-SHES SO F USD $22.46 Buy It Now 3h 5m
If Every Day Was Like Christmas by Elvis Presley Collector's Edition 3D POP-UP USD $17.95 Buy It Now 3h 17m
HANK COCHRAN: JUST FOR THE RECORD / IF SHE COULD rare GAYLORD dj COUNTRY 45 mp3 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 34m
If-3 CD NEW USD $14.69 Buy It Now 5h 59m
!!! (CHK CHK CHK) - AS IF (2LP+MP3) 2 VINYL LP + DOWNLOAD NEW+ USD $28.51 Buy It Now 6h 14m
JON SECADA and SHANICE Japan 1991 Tall 3" inch CD Single IF I NEVER KNEW YOU USD $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
CELINE DION 3 SEALED CASSETTES UNISON THE FRENCH ALBUM IF YOU ASKED ME TO USD $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 24m
If 3 Vinyl LP Capitol Records SMAS-820 If3 Green Label Jazz Rock Prog USD $18.50 Buy It Now 8h 24m
WORLD WAR 3 - IF THE BOMB FALLS * RARE SOUL FUNK 7" 45 USD $35.43 Buy It Now 12h 38m
CD - Suzi Quatro - If You Knew Suzi... (incl. 3 bonuses) - (ROCK) - 1978/2014 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 15h 44m
Atomic Kitten IF YOU COME TO ME European Import 3-trk CD Maxi Single USD $4.30 Buy It Now 20h 7m
Sugar - Beaster EP / If I Can't Change Your Mind / Your Favourite Thing 3 E.P.'s USD $1.43 [0 bids]
CHRIS BRAIDE IF I HADN'T GOT YOU (3TRACK 12"VINYL PROMO)*178 USD $8.62 Buy It Now 21h 9m
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) USED,MINT CD Wondermints: Mind If We Make Love to Yo USD $4.62 Buy It Now 21h 44m
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) NEW CD Wondermints: Mind If We Make Love to You USD $7.55 Buy It Now 21h 44m
New: WIZ KHALIFA - O.N.I.F.C. (Deluxe Edition with 3 Bonus Tracks) CD USD $9.98 Buy It Now 22h 8m
New: INCUBUS - If Not Now, When? (with 3 Bonus Tracks) CD [W5] USD $7.48 Buy It Now 23h 23m
Johnny Marr HAVEN If Ep 3UNRELEASE PROMO CD THE SMITHS USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Suga Free: On My Way PROMO MUSIC AUDIO CD If U Stay Ready DJ Quik Remix 3 tracks USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot of 3 Brooks and Dunn. Waitin on Sundown, Tight Rope, and If You See Her. USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Tommy Shane Steiner ~ WHAT IF SHE'S AN ANGEL" ~ 3 TRKS ~ RDJ69115-2 ~ PROMO CD USD $9.09 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) NEW CD Motion City Soundtrack: Even If It Kills Me USD $6.34 Buy It Now 1 day
If 3, 4009910109724, If USD $15.45 Buy It Now 1 day
*SEALED UK IMPORT GATEFOLD LP* IF "If 3" United Artists Records UAG 29158 @1971 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BLUETONES - If... (UK 3 Track CD Single) USD $5.05 Buy It Now 1 day
IF THIS IS HOUSE I WANT MY MONEY BACK 3, Various Artists USD $19.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Fats Waller - If You Got to Ask, You Ain't Got It! 3-CD 2006 box set *BRAND NEW* USD $0.99 [1 bids]
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) NEW CD Sicx: If These Walls Could USD $39.73 Buy It Now 1 day
JOE-WHAT IF A WOMAN 3-VERSION U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS199 # USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) USED,MINT CD 50 Cent: If I Can't Import, Single USD $4.01 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM 3 Ken Griffin on Rondo, Little Brown Jug, Sigma Chi, Doodle Doo Do, If wV USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
60s Soul SAM COOKE If I Had A Hammer etc TLP-B 2970 4 Track EP RARE EB45A3 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Kitty Kallen (45 ep w/ps) If I'm Lucky + 3 ~ Royale 323 VG USD $4.00 [0 bids]
Ricky Nelson ep If You Can't Rock Me +3 IMP-154 VG++ vinyl, VG split sleeve USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
FEVER RAY - If I Had A Heart - Sweden Official PROMO CDr - 3 Remixes - *LIKE NEW USD $17.68 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) NEW CD Prymary Colorz: If You Only Knew Enhanced USD $8.88 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) NEW CD Hawthorne Heights: If Only You Were Lonely Ve USD $12.88 Buy It Now 1 day
ZARA MCFARLANE - IF YOU KNEW HER ( LP + MP3 ) - LP + DOWNLOAD - NEW+!! USD $24.85 Buy It Now 1 day
18/5/85Pgn08 Advert: Claire Hamill New Single 'if You'd Only Talk To Me' 3x11 USD $7.23 Buy It Now 1 day
DIANA ROSS If We Hold On~THE LAND BEFORE TIME JAPAN 3" CD MVDM-6 Extra Sleeve USD $29.99 [0 bids]
Elvis Presley-If Every Day Was Like Christmas 3D CD Pop Up Graceland ~ EUC USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Joe "What If A Woman" Remix 2002 Promo 12" Single Record Vinyl LP J3 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
3 x Vintage LP Vinyl Record Album Barry Manilow Magic Even Now If I Should Love USD $8.69 [0 bids]
Kenny Lattimore "If I Lose My Woman" 1998 12" Vinyl Record LP 44 79120 J3 USD $3.49 Buy It Now 1 day
LENNY KRAVITZ 3 PROMO CD SINGLES IF YOU CAN'T SAY NO/I BELONG TO YOU /ABSOLUT.. USD $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CYKLE:If You Can 2:40-In Love My Friend 3:38-U.S. 7" 1969 Label Records 101 PSL USD $748.98 Buy It Now 1 day
CYPRESS HILL Smoke Em If you got em RARE 3TRK SAMPLER PROMO DJ CD single 2004 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
La La-(If You) Love Me Just A Little 12"-Arista, RIST 23, 1986, Picture Sleeve 3 USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Fudge-If I Had A Band 12"-Kif Recordings, KIF 026, 2003, Picture Sleeve 3 Track USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Wet Wet Wet-If I Never See You Again CDS-MERCURY, JWLCD29, 3 Track USD $4.27 Buy It Now 1 day
This Way Up-If I Can't Have You 12"-Virgin, VST 1002, 1987, Picture Sleeve 3 Tra USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Bluetones-If CDS-AAndM, BLUED009 3 Track USD $4.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Five-If Ya Getting Down CDS-RCA, 689692, 3 Track USD $4.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Midge Ure-If I Was 12"-Chrysalis, URE X1, 1985, Picture Sleeve 3 Track USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Blue (5)-If You Come Back CDS-Innocent, SINCD32, 2001, 3 Track USD $4.27 Buy It Now 1 day
R. Kelly-If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time CDS-Jive, 523182, 1999, DIGI 3 T USD $4.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Atomic Kitten-If You Come To Me CDS-Innocent, SINCD50 7243 5 47584 2 3, 2003, 2 USD $4.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Lonnie Gordon-If I Have To Stand Alone 7" 45-Supreme Records (3), SUPE 181, 1990 USD $7.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Tamperer Feat Maya-If You Buy This Record CDS-PEPPER, 530082, 3 Mix USD $4.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Daniel Walker-If Only 12"-Juice Jams, 12JUJA3, 1995, Picture Sleeve 3 Track USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Jennifer Lopez-If You Had My Love CDS-COLUMBIA, 667677, 3 Mix USD $4.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Mn8-If You Only Let Me In 12"-COLUMBIA, 661325 6, 1995, Picture Sleeve 3 Mix USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Christopher Moltisanti-If I Ever / Echo Of The Past 12"-TMT, 3, PROMO 2 Track USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Mn8-If You Only Let Me In 12"-COLUMBIA, XPR2147, 3 Mix USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
IF - 3 (UK) NEW CD USD $23.79 Buy It Now 2 days
THE TAMPERER ft MAYA - If You Buy This Record... (UK 3 Tk CD Single Pt 1) USD $4.77 Buy It Now 2 days
New: JARS OF CLAY - S/T / Much Afraid / If I Left the Zoo (Christian) 3 CD SET USD $6.48 Buy It Now 2 days
Rev. E.P. Johnson "If You Love The Lord..." Black Gospel 45 L. Brown mp3 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Code Red-What Would We Do If CDS-POLYDOR, WHAT, IF 3 2 Track RADIO PR USD $4.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Jaguar Wright: The What If's PROMO Music CD Stay Same **** Different Day 3 track USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BREAD DAVID GATESJapan Only 1994 NM Tall 3" CD Single IF THE GUITAR MAN USD $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Nat 'King' Cole 45 ep w/ps MOODS IN SONG If I May + 3 ~ Cap.633 VG+ USD $3.60 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago "If You Leave Me Now / Together Again" 45rpm Columbia 3-10390 1976 USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Richard Groove Holmes Prestige 442 1-2-3 and If I Had A Hammer USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
IF3 [8436019589021] NEW CD USD $15.58 Buy It Now 2 days
IF THIS IS HOUSE I WANT MY MONEY BACK, VOL. 3 NEW CD USD $24.47 Buy It Now 2 days
METALLURGY, VOL. 3: SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM NEW CD USD $6.04 Buy It Now 2 days
A3 CD Stop Us If Youve Heard This One Before Wildhearts with T-Shirts USD $50.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Bluetones, if....... (CD Single1998) 3 Tracks USD $7.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Tina Arena - If I Was A River / Any Other Love / Chains - UK / EU 3 tk CD-Single USD $6.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.09 Buy It Now
SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD - If Only I Could - Original 1989 UK Circa label 3-track 12" USD $8.68 Buy It Now 2 days
TOM JONES IF I ONLY KNEW CD SINGLE 3B USD $2.45 Buy It Now 2 days
JULIA FORDHAM Talk walk drive If Only I CD SINGLE JAPAN CD3 8cm VJDP-10171 s1251 USD $31.50 Buy It Now 2 days
IF3 ~ SELF TITLED ~ CAPITOL SMAS 820 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
3 NEIL DIAMOND Holly Holy, I Am I Said, If You Know What I Mean 45 RPM Records USD $8.50 Buy It Now 2 days
MANIC STREET PREACHERS "IF YOU TOLERATE THIS" 3 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $3.17 Buy It Now 2 days
IF - IF 3 (UK) NEW CD USD $26.13 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY KRAVITZ w/ ZERO 7 If you can't w/ 3 RARE MIXES PROMO DJ CD Single say No USD $23.49 Buy It Now 2 days
If 3 by If (CD, Apr-2007, Repertoire) USD $8.23 Buy It Now 3 days
If - If 3 [CD New] USD $10.81 Buy It Now 3 days
JODIE MARIE - If We Try. rare UK 1 track CD +press (Buy 3 = Free P USD $2.87 Buy It Now 3 days
IF THIS IS HOUSE I WANT MY MONEY BACK 3 / VAR NEW CD USD $22.18 Buy It Now 3 days
Open Music What If?/Real Time 10" vinyl single record UK OPR3 OUTPUT 1996 USD $16.57 Buy It Now 3 days
Lightning Seeds What If... 3 Trk CD Single USD $4.33 Buy It Now 3 days
EMBRACE job lot of 3 promo CD album/singles If You've Never Been USD $21.71 Buy It Now 3 days
SAMMY HALL ~ If Nobody Loves You LP XIAN LONER FOLK ROCK PSYCH FUNK HEAR Mp3 USD $29.99 [0 bids]
KD LANG 3 TRACK CD IF I WERE YOU WITH LIVE TRACK CARD SLEEVE AUSTRALIA K D LANG USD $1.99 Buy It Now 3 days
I3-9 Vinyl Record SEALED Barry Manilow If I Should Love Again 1981 Arista RARE! USD $29.95 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 3 ratings distribution

IF If 3 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars On The band's third album the songwriting is much more commercial, and the same excellent musicianship remains.

The album kicks off with some Chicago sounding brass and Tull style flute playing on the brilliant seven-minute instrumental "Fibonacci's Number", which includes a nice jazzy drum break, followed by one of their best songs "Forgotten Roads" - a compilation CD was released bearing this title as this is one of their best songs; it has a Focus sounding intro, breaking into a catchy chorus "forgotten roads, forgotten people.". The song includes some fine playing including a very fast jazz guitar solo. The beautifully haunting ballad "Sweet January" follows, another very well written song with a good bass line and sax solo, and the marvellously catchy "Child of Storm", closing side 1 with a crash of thunder! "Far Beyond" with its lush backing vocals opens side 2, followed by the strangely titled "Seldom Seen Sam", a quirky musical highlight. The next track "Upstairs" is a rather heavier affair in places reminiscent of Purple's "Chasing Shadows". The last song "Here Comes Mister Time", another album highlight, featuring some clever guitar soloing from Terry Smith.

Though a much more commercial approach from the band on this album with more pop-orientated material, the excellent musicianship remains as strong on previous albums, essential jazz-rock.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unchanged line-up for this septet that released their third album in early , but on a different label called United Artist, thus abandoning one of the proggiest of labels, Islands, although the recording sessions took place at Islands Studios. With another gatefold sleeve, this time emphasising the UA logo on the back cover, 3 features all original compositions although, strangely enough, they used an outside lyricist for most tracks: Trevor Preston, already seen on one track of their second album.

Starting on the enthralling instrumental Fibonacci's Number, the album gets a really strong start, with the following Forgotten Roads, which was to prove their biggest hits (most notably in Germany). Both tracks are still much in the CTA or BS&T style, although the next Sweet January takes on a more soulish tone in the BS&T and Electric Flag style, even if the flute brings a noble touch. Child Of Storm returns to a better RnB with some excellent jazzy solos, most notably Morissey's awesome alto sax, the track ending in a great thunderbolt.

The flipside gets a Lighthouse-like start (yes, Skip Prokop's Canadian brass rock group Lighthouse) with the cheesy (mostly due to the chorus) Far Beyond (the flipside of the Forgotten road single, both tracks included as pointless bonus here), Seldom Seen Sam is returning to amore comfy RnB with some rather expert soloing from Mealing's electric piano, but Smith's twang-ey closing guitar parts are just not cutting it. The following Upstairs uses a cool organ and massive horn section answering lines. The closing Mr Time uses some more organ moans, this time in a Dave Greenslade and Rod Argent manner with Steve Smith's guitar getting an extra notice, and develops from a slow start with some clever chord changes; it would be one of the album's best track but vocally the track is just average.

As mentioned above, the bonus tracks are a pointless bonus, but 3 remains among the group's best works, and certainly the last of their better ones, 4 being a weird release, sometimes as a studio album, sometimes as a live album, depending which country you were in. So, if you like If's early stuff, this one should be absolutely no problems either.

5 stars With the abundance of new Prog releases it's easy to forget about groundbreaking works of Jazz-Rock pioneers from the early 70's. Especially when a younger generation were not even born at that time. This piece is intended to bring attention to this generally excellent work of this band from ... (read more)

Report this review (#1189827) | Posted by Anon-E-Mouse | Monday, June 09, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 3"