IF 3

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP UNITED ARTISTS UAG29158 (UK) (1971)
LP CAPITOL SMAS820 (US) (1971)
CD REPERTOIRE (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to bsurmano for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 3 Music

If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
3 by If3 by If
Repertoire Records
IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' By If (2012-12-03)IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' By If (2012-12-03)
Repertoire Records
If 2 by If (2006-03-27)If 2 by If (2006-03-27)
Repertoire
If 3If 3
Sunrise 2004
If 3 (USA 1st pressing vinyl LP)If 3 (USA 1st pressing vinyl LP)
Capitol
Vinyl$19.72 (used)
If 3 by IfIf 3 by If
Sunrise
METALCORE 3CD/1DVD FROM AUTUMN TO ASHES IF HOPE DIES GENTLEMAN HOMICIDE UNEARTH USD $4.25 [0 bids]
8m 46s
METALCORElot 3CD/2DVD SPARTA IF HOPE DIES STARS ARE FALLING UNEARTH BLACK DAHLIA USD $5.25 [0 bids]
8m 46s
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) USED,MINT CD Sicx: If These Walls Could USD $30.05 Buy It Now 46m 13s
Melanie C - If That Were Me - Enhanced 3 Track CD Single Mel Spice Girls USD $3.09 Buy It Now 1h 26m
If You're Happy & You Know It 3 Audio CD USD $40.21 Buy It Now 2h 19m
CELINE DION CD Falling Into You 3 Track If That's / The Colour 1996 USD $3.86 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Sting 12" Single with Original Cover-IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREEx3+1 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 44m
SPILLER GROOVEJET (IF THIS AIN'T LOVE) SOPHIE ELLIS BEXTOR 3 TRACK CD - VGC USD $7.07 Buy It Now 5h 31m
KIM WILDE If I Can't Have You BEE GEES + Remix Collection + Another Step 3x CD USD $34.99 Buy It Now 5h 34m
NEIL DIAMOND DJ lot of 3 September Morn,If you know what I mean Don't think Feel USD $11.10 Buy It Now 5h 51m
LOT OF 2 REGGAE CDs: CARIBBEAN NIGHTS 2, IF YOU WANT REGGAE CLASSICS VOL 3 (FS) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
TIM HARDIN 3 Live In Concert LP Vinyl Reason To Believe If I Were A Carpenter USD $39.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
IF 3 USD $26.58 Buy It Now 6h 22m
COPPERSKY - IF WE'RE LOSING EVERYTHING VINYL LP + MP3 NEW+ USD $22.49 Buy It Now 7h 22m
PRESLEY, ELVIS-IF I CAN DREAM:..-CD+3LP--CD (3) RCA NEW USD $81.09 Buy It Now 12h 24m
HANSON IF ONLY CD SINGLE 3 TRACKS 1 VIDEO USD $1.95 [0 bids]
Natural What if,Autogramm,Pock It CD Single,3 ",Ltd.Edition, USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Chantal Kreviazuk - What If It All Means Japan CD+3 NEW USD $18.99 Buy It Now 13h 29m
18/5/85pg21 Single Advert 3x10 Claire Hamill, If You'd Only Talk To Me USD $7.84 Buy It Now 14h 15m
NM 12"~MAD LION~Bring It If You Want It~[x3 Mix]~Platinumize~[x2]~DJ Sound Bites USD $2.97 Buy It Now 14h 15m
Pete Seeger - If I Had A Hammer - Vol.3 RARE 1958 Israeli Israel 4xTracks EP 7" USD $39.99 Buy It Now 15h 3m
Bennet If You Met Me Then You'd Like Me CD single (CD5 / 5") UK RR-2316-3 USD $12.42 Buy It Now 17h 23m
What If?/Real Time Open Music UK 10" vinyl single record OPR3 OUTPUT 1996 USD $14.97 Buy It Now 18h 28m
Tommy Conwell 3" CD single (CD3) If We Never Meet Again Japanese 10EP3060 USD $13.74 Buy It Now 18h 42m
Babybird If You'll Be Mine 3 track CD Single USD $1.50 Buy It Now 19h 6m
CA R&B Funk Sonny Green HILL 777 Jody's on the run / If you want me to keep MP3 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 19m
STAVES, The - If I Was - Vinyl (gatefold LP + MP3 download code) USD $23.68 Buy It Now 20h 49m
AKBAR TOO DIVINE b/w WHAT IF 12" OG 2004 NM JAZZ CHILD RECORDS DJ 3RD RAIL USD $6.00 Buy It Now 22h 13m
RUFFO Y SUS 4 EP Spain 1964 If I had a hammer +3 ( In Spanish ) USD $15.00 [0 bids]
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This PROLOGUE Montana/Autumn/78 3 Trk CD USD $1.30 [0 bids]
Granite Block 3" Square- If we are facing in the right direction all we have ... USD $17.24 Buy It Now 22h 35m
Fire Emblem if Fates 3DS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK Japanese Game Music 7 CD Box F/S USD $95.00 Buy It Now 22h 38m
Aretha Franklin-Soulville/If Ever I Would Leave You-Rare Northern Soul 45-VG+MP3 USD $5.99 [0 bids]
CRAIG ARMSTRONG - AS IF TO NOTHING + CRASH + WAKE UP NEW YORK (3 x PROMOS) USD $8.99 [0 bids]
HANSON - IF ONLY 3 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.94 Buy It Now 23h 51m
IF: If 3 vinyl LP~British Prog. Band~Orig.Gatefold Capitol Red Target label~VG++ USD $22.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot If 3 MADONNA CD'S New Unopened Like A Virgin, True Blue, Madonna USD $27.00 [0 bids]
BEAUTIFUL SOUTH Perfect 10 CD 3 Tracks Inc If+I'Ll Sail This Ship Alone, Dig Pa USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
BEVERLEY KNIGHT Get Up CD 3 Tracks Inc Never Too Late+What If USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
BIG CIRCUS Too Much To Ask For CD 3 Tracks Inc What If+Nights Fishing, Imcd 002 USD $9.15 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) ~LikeNew CD Marieann Meringolo: Imagine If We Only H USD $7.38 Buy It Now 1 day
NORTHERN SOUL 45 Patience Valentine If You Don't Come SAR 119 TOP COPY HEAR MP3 USD $152.50 [10 bids]
If 3 [4009910109724] New CD USD $11.30 Buy It Now 1 day
EMMA HOLLAND From Now On CD 3 Tracks Inc If I Fall+Home USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
ETHER If You Really Want To Know CD 3 Track Dj Issue Inc Julie+Romeoyo, Autogra USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
FIVE If Ya Getting Down CD 3 Tracks Inc When I Remember+Enhanced Section USD $2.87 Buy It Now 1 day
GROOVE ARMADA If Everybody Looked The Same CD 3 Tracks, Radio Edit/Rap/Moiras T USD $5.22 Buy It Now 1 day
HANSON If Only CD With Poster 3 Tracks Inc Mmm Bop-Live+Lonely Again USD $5.22 Buy It Now 1 day
KAREN RAMIREZ If We Try CD 3 Tracks, Silks Disco Anthem Edit/Red Jerr Dubby Voc USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
KOURNAKOVA Even If CD 3 Tracks Inc Hiding All The Good Ones-Demo Version+Gettin USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
MABEL Upper CD 3 Tracks Inc Clean-Ac+As If I Care USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This CD 3 Tracks Inc Prologue To History USD $3.65 Buy It Now 1 day
MCALMONT & BUTLER Falling CD 3 Tracks Inc Your Memory+If You Want USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
OCEAN COLOUR SCENE Profit In Peace CD 3 Tracks Inc If You Get Your Way+Flood Ti USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
RUBY CRUISER Everybody Wants To Be Cool CD 3 Tracks Inc Do You Mind If I Share USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
TAMPERER FEAT MAYA If You Buy This Record Your Life Will Be Better CD 3 Tracks, USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD 3 Tracks USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
WHISTLER If I Give You A Smile CD 3 Tracks Inc Song About You+Got What You Want USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
WIRELESS In Love With The Familiar CD 3 Tracks Inc Coming On Home+Lie If You Wa USD $4.44 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) USED,MINT CD Solillaquists of Sound: As If We Existe USD $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) NEW CD Solillaquists of Sound: As If We Existed USD $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
GERI HALLIWELL-3 CD SINGLES/LIFT ME UP/BAG IT UP/SCREAM IF YOU WANT TO GO FASTER USD $2.60 [0 bids]
JIMMY SOUL - IF YOU WANNA BE HAPPY Ltd 7" With 3 Badges - Mint (Mermaids Film) USD $3.91 [0 bids]
PHOEBE ONE Ladies If Your With Me CD 3 Track Dance Hall Stinger B/w Change USD $6.53 Buy It Now 1 day
KIM WILDE IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU CD SINGLE AUSTRALIA CARD SLEEVE 3 TRACKS USD $6.01 Buy It Now 1 day
If We Hold On Together Diana Ross 3" CD single (CD3) Japanese MVDM-6 MCA 1988 USD $22.90 Buy It Now 1 day
If Bread Japanese 3" CD single (CD3) WPDR-3010 WEA 1994 USD $15.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Haim Vinyl Set Of 3 'If I Could Change Your Mind' Teal USD $550.00 Buy It Now 1 day
HALL AND OATES_IF That's What Makes You Happy_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_F3 USD $8.94 Buy It Now 1 day
VICTORIA WILSON JAMES I Want You In My Movie 12" 3 Track B/w If You Ever Change USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
GILROY SIDDEN If We Can't Be Lovers 12" 3 Track But Has Name Written On Label B/ USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
16 TAMBOURINES If I Should Stay 12" 3 Track B/w Same Old Story And Pokey Town (6 USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
ROD STEWART Baby Jane 12" 3 Track Disco Mix B/w Ready Now And If Loving You Is W USD $8.88 Buy It Now 1 day
NONA HENDRYX If Looks Could Kill 12" 3 Track Killer Club Mix B/w Killer Dub Mix USD $6.53 Buy It Now 1 day
PAULINE HENRY If I Can't Have You 12" 3 Track Kupper Classic Mix B/w Stoneys Clu USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
IF ? Everything And More 12" 3 Track Promo Featuring Leftfield Vocal Mix, Leftfi USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
IF ? If 12" 3 Track Never Say Die Mix B/w 21st Century Dub Mix And Off With Thei USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
HALL AND OATES Everything Your Heart Desires 12" 3 Track Featuring If You Want T USD $5.50 Buy It Now 1 day
MINI CURRY If They Only Knew 12" 3 Track Vocal, Instrumental And Vocal Extended USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
MATCHBOX TWENTY - IF YOU'RE GONE 3 track CD USD $4.02 Buy It Now 1 day
IF ? Everything And More 12" 3 Track Featuring Leftfield Vocal Mix, Leftfield Ra USD $5.48 Buy It Now 1 day
O'CHI BROWN Why Can't We Be Friends 12" 3 Track B/w Dub Mix And If I'm Crying (1 USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
WIRE TRAIN Should She Cry 12" 3 Track B/w If You See Her Go And Moonlight Dream USD $6.53 Buy It Now 1 day
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up 12" 3 Track B/w If You're Happy & Bean Phaidin (lonx USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
SQUEEZE If It's Love 12" 3 Track B/w Franks Bag And Vanity Fair Some Ringwear (a USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
BRENDA RUSSELL Gravity 12" 3 Track Remix B/w Dub Mix And If Only For One Night ( USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
3 ACTION Don't Lose That Stealin' Feelin' 12" 4 Track Featuring If I Only Had Th USD $6.53 Buy It Now 1 day
MAR KHALIFE, Bachar - Ya Balad - Vinyl (180 gram vinyl LP + MP3 download code) USD $23.35 Buy It Now 1 day
KING OF THE HILL If I Say 12" 3 Track Special Limited Edition With Colour Poster USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up 12" 3 Track Promo B/w If You're Happy And Bean Phaid USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
VENDETTA If You Want My Love 12" 3 Track Extended Version Limited Edition B/w Si USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
KING OF THE HILL If I Say 12" 3 Track Promo B/w Acoustic Version, Purple Haze Li USD $5.48 Buy It Now 1 day
TRUE LIFE CONFESSIONS Don't Call Me Chickenhead 12" 3 Track B/w If I Can't Have USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
ASWAD If I Was 12" 3 Track B/w Fever And Day By Day (12bubb6) Pic Sleeve UK Bubb USD $5.48 Buy It Now 1 day
RUBY TURNER WITH JONATHAN BUTLER If You're Ready 12" 3 Track Ep B/w Still On My USD $6.53 Buy It Now 1 day
HALO JAMES Wanted 12" 3 Track B/w Worlds Apart And If Tomorrow Ever Comes Around USD $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
SHY (ROCK/NWOBHM GROUP) Money 12" 3 Track Limited Metallic Sleeve B/w If You USD $2.75 Buy It Now 1 day
COLIN JAMES If You Lean On Me 12" 3 Track Album Version B/w Radio Edit And Back USD $5.48 Buy It Now 1 day
STYLO PHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World 12" 3 Track USD $6.53 Buy It Now 1 day
COLIN HAY BAND Into My Life 12" 3 Track B/w If You Want It All And Wayfaring Son USD $6.53 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 3 ratings distribution

IF If 3 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars On The band's third album the songwriting is much more commercial, and the same excellent musicianship remains.

The album kicks off with some Chicago sounding brass and Tull style flute playing on the brilliant seven-minute instrumental "Fibonacci's Number", which includes a nice jazzy drum break, followed by one of their best songs "Forgotten Roads" - a compilation CD was released bearing this title as this is one of their best songs; it has a Focus sounding intro, breaking into a catchy chorus "forgotten roads, forgotten people.". The song includes some fine playing including a very fast jazz guitar solo. The beautifully haunting ballad "Sweet January" follows, another very well written song with a good bass line and sax solo, and the marvellously catchy "Child of Storm", closing side 1 with a crash of thunder! "Far Beyond" with its lush backing vocals opens side 2, followed by the strangely titled "Seldom Seen Sam", a quirky musical highlight. The next track "Upstairs" is a rather heavier affair in places reminiscent of Purple's "Chasing Shadows". The last song "Here Comes Mister Time", another album highlight, featuring some clever guitar soloing from Terry Smith.

Though a much more commercial approach from the band on this album with more pop-orientated material, the excellent musicianship remains as strong on previous albums, essential jazz-rock.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unchanged line-up for this septet that released their third album in early , but on a different label called United Artist, thus abandoning one of the proggiest of labels, Islands, although the recording sessions took place at Islands Studios. With another gatefold sleeve, this time emphasising the UA logo on the back cover, 3 features all original compositions although, strangely enough, they used an outside lyricist for most tracks: Trevor Preston, already seen on one track of their second album.

Starting on the enthralling instrumental Fibonacci's Number, the album gets a really strong start, with the following Forgotten Roads, which was to prove their biggest hits (most notably in Germany). Both tracks are still much in the CTA or BS&T style, although the next Sweet January takes on a more soulish tone in the BS&T and Electric Flag style, even if the flute brings a noble touch. Child Of Storm returns to a better RnB with some excellent jazzy solos, most notably Morissey's awesome alto sax, the track ending in a great thunderbolt.

The flipside gets a Lighthouse-like start (yes, Skip Prokop's Canadian brass rock group Lighthouse) with the cheesy (mostly due to the chorus) Far Beyond (the flipside of the Forgotten road single, both tracks included as pointless bonus here), Seldom Seen Sam is returning to amore comfy RnB with some rather expert soloing from Mealing's electric piano, but Smith's twang-ey closing guitar parts are just not cutting it. The following Upstairs uses a cool organ and massive horn section answering lines. The closing Mr Time uses some more organ moans, this time in a Dave Greenslade and Rod Argent manner with Steve Smith's guitar getting an extra notice, and develops from a slow start with some clever chord changes; it would be one of the album's best track but vocally the track is just average.

As mentioned above, the bonus tracks are a pointless bonus, but 3 remains among the group's best works, and certainly the last of their better ones, 4 being a weird release, sometimes as a studio album, sometimes as a live album, depending which country you were in. So, if you like If's early stuff, this one should be absolutely no problems either.

5 stars With the abundance of new Prog releases it's easy to forget about groundbreaking works of Jazz-Rock pioneers from the early 70's. Especially when a younger generation were not even born at that time. This piece is intended to bring attention to this generally excellent work of this band from ... (read more)

Report this review (#1189827) | Posted by Anon-E-Mouse | Monday, June 9, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 3"

Other sites in the MAC network: JazzMusicArchives.com — jazz music reviews and archives | MetalMusicArchives.com — metal music revuew and archives