IF 3

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP UNITED ARTISTS UAG29158 (UK) (1971)
LP CAPITOL SMAS820 (US) (1971)
CD REPERTOIRE (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to bsurmano for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 3 Music

If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
3 by If3 by If
Repertoire Records
IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' By If (2012-12-03)IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' By If (2012-12-03)
Repertoire Records
If 2 by If (2006-03-27)If 2 by If (2006-03-27)
Repertoire
If 3If 3
Sunrise 2004
If 3 (USA 1st pressing vinyl LP)If 3 (USA 1st pressing vinyl LP)
Capitol
Vinyl$19.72 (used)
If 3 by IfIf 3 by If
Sunrise
DAMAGE - SO WHAT IF I - CD - 3 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.62 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Jamie T ?- If You Got The Money - CD Promo 3 mixes USD $5.25 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Spiller - Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) (3 trk CD / Listen) USD $2.62 Buy It Now 7h 42m
HEDVA & DAVID Next Year/ If You Stay For Awhile 7" Project 3,Picture Sleeve 1971 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
1ST COLUMBIA 3-10420 DEMO BILL WITHERS IF I DIDN'T MEAN YOU WELL USD $15.99 Buy It Now 10h 28m
BOBBY DARIN 7" EP "IF A MAN ANSWERS+3". RARE PORTUGAL PIC COVER. CAPITOL- EX CON USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Ether If you really want to know 3 track CD single USD $0.64 [0 bids]
A3 CD Stop Us If Youve Heard This One Before Wildhearts with T-Shirts USD $50.00 Buy It Now 13h 16m
(CK369) Metallurgy 3 - Smoke 'Em If You've Got 'Em - DJ CD USD $4.08 Buy It Now 14h 58m
Lot of 3 Barry Manilow LP Records If I should love again, I,Tryin to getfeeling USD $15.00 Buy It Now 16h 42m
Five / 5 / 5ive - If Ya Gettin' Down - 3 Track Enhanced CD Single USD $3.10 Buy It Now 16h 48m
COUNTRY MUSIC - BLAKE SHELTON If I'm Honest Rare 3D/Lenticular Cover - Brand New USD $8.49 [2 bids]
TRINI LOPEZ - IF I HAD A HAMMER + 3 - FRESCA EP - 7" 45 --- K @@ L USD $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 41m
CIMONE If You Want Me Sunburst, Dub and Radio mixes 3-trk 12" Groove Move GMT127 USD $9.58 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICO CHICO Bamboleo Spanish Summer Mix If I Had A Hammer WEST GERMAN 3-trk 12" USD $9.58 Buy It Now 1 day
McALMONT Honey PROMO 3-trck CD I Don't Even Know If I Should Call You Baby Still USD $6.03 Buy It Now 1 day
PURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE If The Shoe Fits + Just Fly + Dance 30 track 3on2 CD SEALED USD $15.76 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Dylan,If Not For You, Song Lyrics Typography, Art Print, A4/A3 USD $5.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Dylan,If Not For You, Song Lyrics Typography, Art Print, A4/A3 USD $10.51 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) NEW CD 50 Cent: If I Can't Import, Single USD $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
If - 3 (2014) (NEW CD) USD $12.15 Buy It Now 1 day
THE POGUES- IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE PRINT T SHIRTS- ALL SIZES IN 3 COLOURS USD $15.76 Buy It Now 1 day
F.B.I. - F.B.I. - 1976 7" GOOD EARTH - RARE FUNK - BUY 3 7"S & PAY POST FOR 1 USD $10.52 Buy It Now 1 day
EMERSON DRIVE "What If?" NEW SEALED C&W CD---1 of last 3 left !!!! USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) USED,MINT CD Tamar (Artist): If You Don't Wanna Love USD $6.05 Buy It Now 1 day
If You Only Knew by Prymary Colorz (CD, Sep-2002, Big3 Records) NEW Sealed USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jane Horrocks If You Kiss Me London Young Vic Theatre 2016 Promo Flyer x 3 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Northern Soul * JOE HAYWOOD * I Would If I Could * WHITE CLIFFS * Listen MP3 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
CHERYL LYNN IF YOU WERE MINE 3 MIXES VINYL 12" SINGLE USD $5.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Deep Soul * BOBBY BLAND * If You Could Read My Mind * LISTEN MP3 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Sweet Soul * RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL * Maybe If I Fall In Love * LISTEN MP3 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
AC/DC Lot Of 3 LP'S Flick Of The Switch If You Want Blood Those About To Rock USD $9.95 [0 bids]
Modern Soul * STANLEY BANKS * If You Can't Beat Me Rock In * BIG BOY Listen MP3 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
MANIC STREET PREACHERS - IF YOU TOLERATE THIS... 3 track remix CD single USD $1.97 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC IF YOU WANT BLOOD RARE ORIGINAL GERMANY PRESS MATRIX A3/B3 1978 EX/EX USD $34.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JANET JACKSON Japan Only 1993 Tall 3" CD Single IF USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dance 12" Val Young - If You Should Ever Be Lonely (3 Mixes) Gordy NM 1985 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
5x The Mamas Papas LP:Cass Big 3,If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears,Presented USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE IRISH BREAKDOWN: Once More, If You Will-M1985LP AUTOGRAPHED BY 3 MEMBERS USD $26.75 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Bluetones 'If' 3 TRACK EP UK IMPORT USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Capitol SMAS 820 IF3 IF 3 Self Titled Gatefold Sleeve LP Record USD $18.52 Buy It Now 1 day
VERN JACKSON Lot 3 Cassette Tapes NEW Christian If That Isn't Love Hello Mama + USD $32.99 Buy It Now 1 day
16 TAMBOURINES If I Should Stay 12" 3 Track B/w Same Old Story And Pokey Town (6 USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
PAULINE HENRY If I Can't Have You 12" 3 Track Kupper Classic Mix B/w Stoneys Clu USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
VICTORIA WILSON JAMES I Want You In My Movie 12" 3 Track B/w If You Ever Change USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
HALL AND OATES Everything Your Heart Desires 12" 3 Track Featuring If You Want T USD $5.52 Buy It Now 1 day
IF ? If 12" 3 Track Never Say Die Mix B/w 21st Century Dub Mix And Off With Thei USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
NONA HENDRYX If Looks Could Kill 12" 3 Track Killer Club Mix B/w Killer Dub Mix USD $6.56 Buy It Now 1 day
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up 12" 3 Track Promo B/w If You're Happy And Bean Phaid USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
HALL AND OATES Everything Your Heart Desires 12" 3 Track If You Want The World E USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
GILROY SIDDEN If We Can't Be Lovers 12" 3 Track But Has Name Written On Label B/ USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
PRUDES Never Penetrate 12" 3 Track B/w Factotum And If You Think You're Free (mi USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
MINI CURRY If They Only Knew 12" 3 Track Vocal, Instrumental And Vocal Extended USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
IF ? Everything And More 12" 3 Track Promo Featuring Leftfield Vocal Mix, Leftfi USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
KING OF THE HILL If I Say 12" 3 Track Promo B/w Acoustic Version, Purple Haze Li USD $5.51 Buy It Now 1 day
3 ACTION Don't Lose That Stealin' Feelin' 12" 4 Track Featuring If I Only Had Th USD $6.56 Buy It Now 1 day
WIRE TRAIN Should She Cry 12" 3 Track B/w If You See Her Go And Moonlight Dream USD $6.56 Buy It Now 1 day
VENDETTA If You Want My Love 12" 3 Track Extended Version Limited Edition B/w Si USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHELLE SHOCKED If Love Was A Train 12" 3 Track B/w Memories Of East Texas And USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
BRENDA RUSSELL Gravity 12" 3 Track Remix B/w Dub Mix And If Only For One Night ( USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
TRUE LIFE CONFESSIONS Don't Call Me Chickenhead 12" 3 Track B/w If I Can't Have USD $4.13 Buy It Now 1 day
ROD STEWART Baby Jane 12" 3 Track Disco Mix B/w Ready Now And If Loving You Is W USD $8.93 Buy It Now 1 day
SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD If Only I Could 12" 3 Track Extended Version Promo B/w Pacha G USD $8.93 Buy It Now 1 day
SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD If Only I Could 12" 3 Track Extended Version B/w Pacha Garden USD $5.51 Buy It Now 1 day
WEST END Hot For Rocking 12" 3 Track In A Company Sleeve B/w Instrumental And If USD $8.93 Buy It Now 1 day
DOLLAR We Walked In Love 12" 3 Track Extended Version B/w Love Tonight And If Th USD $5.51 Buy It Now 1 day
5 STAR Stay Out Of My Life 12" 3 Track B/w If I Say Yeas And How Dare You Stay O USD $8.93 Buy It Now 1 day
PREFAB SPROUT Life Of Surprises 12" 3 Track Limited Album Poster Sleeve B/w If Y USD $13.07 Buy It Now 1 day
STING Englishman In New York 12" 3 Track Ben Liebrand Mix B/w If You Love Somebo USD $10.31 Buy It Now 1 day
BIG BAM BOO If You Could See Me Now 12" 3 Track Myopic Mix B/w 7 Inch Version An USD $10.31 Buy It Now 1 day
TRUTH (MOD GROUP) Exception Of Love 12" 3 Track B/w If Ever You Find Love And Co USD $11.69 Buy It Now 1 day
CHAGALL GUEVARA If It All Comes True 12" 3 Track B/w I Need Somebody And Violent USD $10.31 Buy It Now 1 day
RUBY TURNER If You're Ready 12" 3 Track In A Gatefold Pic Sleeve Extended Versio USD $8.93 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT BENATAR We Live For Love 12" 3 Track B/w I Need A Lover And If You Think You USD $6.56 Buy It Now 1 day
CARLY SIMON Coming Around Again 12" 3 Track B/w Itsy Bitsy Spider And If It Wasn USD $6.56 Buy It Now 1 day
MCALMONT Honey CD 3 Track With Info Stickered Case B/w I Don't Even Know If I Sh USD $5.52 Buy It Now 2 days
ASWAD If I Was CD 3 Track With Info Stickered Case B/w Fever And Day By Day (cdb USD $5.51 Buy It Now 2 days
KT TUNSTALL If Only CD 3 Track Radio Edit Promo With Info Stickered Card Sleeve USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
GROOVE ARMADA If Everybody Looked The Same CD 3 Track Radio Edit B/w Rap And Moi USD $4.13 Buy It Now 2 days
SO! Baby Blue CD 3 Track B/w Full On Mix And If You Were To Leave Me Can I Come USD $4.13 Buy It Now 2 days
MATCHBOX 20 If You're Gone CD 3 Track Edit B/w Album Version And Bent Live (at00 USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
JOY ZIPPER Out Of The Sun CD 3 Track Short Edit B/w Cd Rom Video And If I'm Righ USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
A1 Like A Rose CD 3 Track Valentine Mix B/w If Only Almighty Club Mix And Everyt USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
PARKA If You Wanna CD 3 Track B/w Hoxton Hair And Closing Time (jprcds026) EUROP USD $4.13 Buy It Now 2 days
WIRELESS In Love With The Familiar CD 3 Track B/w Coming On Home And Lie If You USD $5.51 Buy It Now 2 days
LOWGOLD Mercury CD 3 Track In Card Sleeve B/w Eddie Lejuene And If People Were V USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
MARC DORSEY If You Really Wanna Know CD 3 Track Lp Version B.w Rocks Radio Remix USD $4.13 Buy It Now 2 days
GROOVE ARMADA If Everybody Looked The Same CD 3 Track Radio Edit B/w Rap And USD $4.13 Buy It Now 2 days
50 CENT If I Can't CD 3 Track Clean Version Promo B/w Instrumental And Explicit USD $5.51 Buy It Now 2 days
HIGH FIDELITY Scream If You Want To Go Faster CD 3 Track Part 1 With Info Sticke USD $5.51 Buy It Now 2 days
SASCHA If You Believe CD 3 Track Groove Brothers Remix Promo B/w Mokran Mix And USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
IAN MCNABB If Love Was Like Guitars CD 3 Track In Promo Stickered Case B/w Trams USD $4.13 Buy It Now 2 days
HIGH FIDELITY Scream If You Want To Go Faster CD 3 Track Part 1 (fake106cd1) UK USD $6.30 Buy It Now 2 days
EMMA HOLLAND From Now On CD 3 Track B/w If I Fall Acoustic And Home My House Ver USD $6.30 Buy It Now 2 days
WALNUT SOUND Colours CD 3 Track Still Sealed B/w Fine If You're Fine And Still S USD $8.53 Buy It Now 2 days
MARCOS HERNANDEZ If You Were Mine CD 3 Track Radio Edit Promo In Card Sleeve B/w USD $4.13 Buy It Now 2 days
RHYTHM METHOD Inbounds CD 3 Track Ep Featuring Just For You, Sympathy And If I E USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
MANCHILD If You Could See Me Right Now CD 3 Track B/w Paradise And Feelings (bhc USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
RAHZEL All I Know CD 3 Track Radio Edit B/w If Your Mother Only Knew Live And Qu USD $6.56 Buy It Now 2 days
LP 2
~ USD $13.33
CD if4
~ USD $14.49
More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 3 ratings distribution

IF If 3 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars On The band's third album the songwriting is much more commercial, and the same excellent musicianship remains.

The album kicks off with some Chicago sounding brass and Tull style flute playing on the brilliant seven-minute instrumental "Fibonacci's Number", which includes a nice jazzy drum break, followed by one of their best songs "Forgotten Roads" - a compilation CD was released bearing this title as this is one of their best songs; it has a Focus sounding intro, breaking into a catchy chorus "forgotten roads, forgotten people.". The song includes some fine playing including a very fast jazz guitar solo. The beautifully haunting ballad "Sweet January" follows, another very well written song with a good bass line and sax solo, and the marvellously catchy "Child of Storm", closing side 1 with a crash of thunder! "Far Beyond" with its lush backing vocals opens side 2, followed by the strangely titled "Seldom Seen Sam", a quirky musical highlight. The next track "Upstairs" is a rather heavier affair in places reminiscent of Purple's "Chasing Shadows". The last song "Here Comes Mister Time", another album highlight, featuring some clever guitar soloing from Terry Smith.

Though a much more commercial approach from the band on this album with more pop-orientated material, the excellent musicianship remains as strong on previous albums, essential jazz-rock.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unchanged line-up for this septet that released their third album in early , but on a different label called United Artist, thus abandoning one of the proggiest of labels, Islands, although the recording sessions took place at Islands Studios. With another gatefold sleeve, this time emphasising the UA logo on the back cover, 3 features all original compositions although, strangely enough, they used an outside lyricist for most tracks: Trevor Preston, already seen on one track of their second album.

Starting on the enthralling instrumental Fibonacci's Number, the album gets a really strong start, with the following Forgotten Roads, which was to prove their biggest hits (most notably in Germany). Both tracks are still much in the CTA or BS&T style, although the next Sweet January takes on a more soulish tone in the BS&T and Electric Flag style, even if the flute brings a noble touch. Child Of Storm returns to a better RnB with some excellent jazzy solos, most notably Morissey's awesome alto sax, the track ending in a great thunderbolt.

The flipside gets a Lighthouse-like start (yes, Skip Prokop's Canadian brass rock group Lighthouse) with the cheesy (mostly due to the chorus) Far Beyond (the flipside of the Forgotten road single, both tracks included as pointless bonus here), Seldom Seen Sam is returning to amore comfy RnB with some rather expert soloing from Mealing's electric piano, but Smith's twang-ey closing guitar parts are just not cutting it. The following Upstairs uses a cool organ and massive horn section answering lines. The closing Mr Time uses some more organ moans, this time in a Dave Greenslade and Rod Argent manner with Steve Smith's guitar getting an extra notice, and develops from a slow start with some clever chord changes; it would be one of the album's best track but vocally the track is just average.

As mentioned above, the bonus tracks are a pointless bonus, but 3 remains among the group's best works, and certainly the last of their better ones, 4 being a weird release, sometimes as a studio album, sometimes as a live album, depending which country you were in. So, if you like If's early stuff, this one should be absolutely no problems either.

5 stars With the abundance of new Prog releases it's easy to forget about groundbreaking works of Jazz-Rock pioneers from the early 70's. Especially when a younger generation were not even born at that time. This piece is intended to bring attention to this generally excellent work of this band from ... (read more)

Report this review (#1189827) | Posted by Anon-E-Mouse | Monday, June 09, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 3"