IF 3

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP UNITED ARTISTS UAG29158 (UK) (1971)
LP CAPITOL SMAS820 (US) (1971)
CD REPERTOIRE (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to bsurmano for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 3 Music

If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
3 by If3 by If
Repertoire Records
IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' By If (2012-12-03)IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' By If (2012-12-03)
Repertoire Records
If 2 by If (2006-03-27)If 2 by If (2006-03-27)
Repertoire
If 3If 3
Sunrise 2004
If 3 (USA 1st pressing vinyl LP)If 3 (USA 1st pressing vinyl LP)
Capitol
Vinyl$19.72 (used)
If 3 by IfIf 3 by If
Sunrise
THE PRETENDERS ( FOR 007 ) IF THERE WAS A MAN 1987 3 TRACK 12 "SINGLE+ GREAT SLV USD $10.20 Buy It Now 52m 40s
Lightning Seeds - What If - 3 Track CD Single (1996) includes Mega Mix USD $4.40 [0 bids]
DANIELLE_Tell Me If You Like It_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_L3 USD $7.63 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Enya - Only If (3:18) PROMO COPY DJ CD USD $7.32 Buy It Now 3h 11m
CELINE DION If You Asked Me To /Love You Blind JAPAN 3" CD ESDA-7095 Ex-/Ex USD $79.97 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Sealed! CELINE DION If You Asked Me To /Love You Blind JAPAN 3" CD ESDA-7095 USD $199.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
SMOKIE - IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME 3 CD DEUTSCH POP NEW+ USD $19.26 Buy It Now 3h 31m
CHARLENE 3 TRACK EP INC IT AIN`T EASY COMIN` DOWN /IF I COULD SEE MYSELF 7" USD $11.50 Buy It Now 7h 49m
DANE COOK ? HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED & RETALIATION (LOT OF 3 CDS & 1 DVD) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 8h 4m
bobby darin atcomono 8136 if i were a carpenter in shrink,NM 3-color lbl. USD $38.00 Buy It Now 8h 11m
GLORIA ESTEFAN - IF WE WERE LOVERS - PROMO 3 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $5.87 [0 bids]
June - If You Speak Any Faster 2005 CD+Bonus DVD #15-3 USD $1.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
DIXIE DREGS lot 3x LP industry standard UNSUNG HEROES what if STEVE MORSE USD $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 59m
KITTY KALLEN: If I Give My Heart To You LP (3" bottom seam split, demo rubber s USD $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 54m
Alfie - If You Happy With You Need Do Nothing EU CD #17-3 USD $1.60 Buy It Now 11h 7m
Pure Prairie League 3 lp lot Just Fly, If The Shoe Fits, Live! Takin' The Stage USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 53m
OPM - Heaven Is A Half Pipe (If I Die) - 3 Track DJ PROMO CD! RARE! w/ 2 Edits! USD $3.00 Buy It Now 12h 40m
CELINE DION 3 SEALED CASSETTES UNISON THE FRENCH ALBUM IF YOU ASKED ME TO USD $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 3m
3RD STOREE - If Ever (CD Promo 1998) 3 Track US Single USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Viola Wills . If You Could Read My Mind New Import 24 Bit 3 Rare Bonus Tracks USD $17.99 Buy It Now 17h 42m
33 1/3 rpm-NEW-UNOPENED-if we knew then...Wytensin (guanabenz acetate) - 1986 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 17h 50m
RUBEN STUDDARD - What If (CD Promo 2004) 3 Track Single THE UNDERDOGS USD $4.99 [0 bids]
3 VINTAGE KEN GRIFFEN 78 RPM DOODLE-EE-DO/IF I HAD YOU/CUCKOO WALTZ USD $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 25m
If You Only Knew by Prymary Colorz (CD, Sep-2002, Big3 Records) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 46m
HANSON IF ONLY CD SINGLE 3 TRACKS 1 VIDEO USD $2.19 [0 bids]
Jennifer Lopez IF YOU HAD MY LOVE Euro 3tr CD + POSTER USD $6.75 Buy It Now 23h 24m
Enya 1994 Only If UFO Group Warner Taiwan OBI Limited Edition 3 Track CD Single USD $49.99 Buy It Now 23h 57m
LONE JUSTICE I found love Extended and Lp mix/If You don't like Rain 3trk 12" USD $11.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Andreaz Heden, Gosta Rundqvist - If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking 2CD *30-3 USD $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Single (B3) - Melanie C - If that were me - 7243 8 972890 3 USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Single (B3) - Candee Jay - If I were you - CENT58CDX USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
INCUBUS CD IF NOT NOW, WHEN? 3 LIVE BONUS TRACKS RARE EXCLUSIVE new sealed USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS - IF YOU TOLERATE THIS YOUR CHILDREN ~ 3 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $2.04 Buy It Now 1 day
JAY HENRY - If You Love Me - Excellent Condition 7" Single TMRC 3 USD $5.85 Buy It Now 1 day
JAY HENRY - If You Love Me - Excellent Condition 7" Single TMRC 3 USD $5.84 Buy It Now 1 day
GILROY SIDDEN If We Can't Be Lovers 12" 3 Track But Has Name Written On Label B/ USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
VICTORIA WILSON JAMES I Want You In My Movie 12" 3 Track B/w If You Ever Change USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
HALL AND OATES Everything Your Heart Desires 12" 3 Track Featuring If You Want T USD $6.16 Buy It Now 1 day
IF ? If 12" 3 Track Never Say Die Mix B/w 21st Century Dub Mix And Off With Thei USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
NONA HENDRYX If Looks Could Kill 12" 3 Track Killer Club Mix B/w Killer Dub Mix USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
WIRE TRAIN Should She Cry 12" 3 Track B/w If You See Her Go And Moonlight Dream USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
MINI CURRY If They Only Knew 12" 3 Track Vocal, Instrumental And Vocal Extended USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
BRENDA RUSSELL Gravity 12" 3 Track Remix B/w Dub Mix And If Only For One Night ( USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
IF ? Everything And More 12" 3 Track Promo Featuring Leftfield Vocal Mix, Leftfi USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
TRUE LIFE CONFESSIONS Don't Call Me Chickenhead 12" 3 Track B/w If I Can't Have USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
3 ACTION Don't Lose That Stealin' Feelin' 12" 4 Track Featuring If I Only Had Th USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
HALL AND OATES Everything Your Heart Desires 12" 3 Track If You Want The World E USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
PRUDES Never Penetrate 12" 3 Track B/w Factotum And If You Think You're Free (mi USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
VENDETTA If You Want My Love 12" 3 Track Extended Version Limited Edition B/w Si USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHELLE SHOCKED If Love Was A Train 12" 3 Track B/w Memories Of East Texas And USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up 12" 3 Track Promo B/w If You're Happy And Bean Phaid USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
SHY (ROCK/NWOBHM GROUP) Money 12" 3 Track Limited Metallic Sleeve B/w If You Wan USD $3.08 Buy It Now 1 day
JEFFREY OSBORNE If My Brother's In Trouble 12" 3 Track Club Mix B/w Extended Hip USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICO DEBARGE Talk To Me 12" 3 Track 12 Inch Version B/w Album Version And If It USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
KING OF THE HILL If I Say 12" 3 Track Special Limited Edition With Colour Poster USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
O'CHI BROWN Why Can't We Be Friends 12" 3 Track B/w Dub Mix And If I'm Crying (1 USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
IF ? Everything And More 12" 3 Track Featuring Leftfield Vocal Mix, Leftfield Ra USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
SIMPLY RED If You Don't Know Me By Now 12" 3 Track B/w Move On Out Live And Shin USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
ROBERT BROOKINS If You Only Knew 12" 3 Track (mcat1143) Pic Sleeve UK Mca 1987 USD $6.16 Buy It Now 1 day
HALO JAMES Wanted 12" 3 Track B/w Worlds Apart And If Tomorrow Ever Comes Around USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
STYLO PHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World 12" 3 Track USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
HOW WE LIVE All The Time In The World 12" 3 Track I Don't Mind If You Don't Mix USD $16.13 Buy It Now 1 day
ATLANTIC STARR If Your Heart Isnt In It 12" 3 Track B/w Stand Up And Let's Start USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
SHY (ROCK/NWOBHM GROUP) Money 12" 3 Track Limited Metallic Sleeve B/w If You USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
KIM APPLEBY If You Cared 12" 3 Track 12 Inch Remix B/w 12 Inch Ben Chapman Mix A USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up 12" 3 Track B/w If You're Happy & Bean Phaidin (lonx USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
COLIN JAMES If You Lean On Me 12" 3 Track Album Version B/w Radio Edit And Back USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW EDITION If It Isn't Love 12" 3 Track Extended Version B/w Instrumental And D USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
COLIN HAY BAND Into My Life 12" 3 Track B/w If You Want It All And Wayfaring Son USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
RUBY TURNER WITH JONATHAN BUTLER If You're Ready 12" 3 Track Ep B/w Still On My USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
SOUL FAMILY SENSATION I Don't Even Know If I Should Call You Baby 12" 3 Track Da USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
SQUEEZE If It's Love 12" 3 Track B/w Franks Bag And Vanity Fair Some Ringwear (a USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
PARACHUTE MEN If I Could Wear Your Jacket 12" 3 Track With Limited Postcard B/w USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
ASWAD If I Was 12" 3 Track B/w Fever And Day By Day (12bubb6) Pic Sleeve UK Bubb USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Holiday Wishes 3 - If You Believe - Make-A-Wish 2013 Christmas CD (2 disc set) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JIMMY DALE EVANS Memphis 1955/If It's Love 45 Rivertown Memphis rockabilly mp3 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
EMMA HOLLAND From Now On CD 3 Track B/w If I Fall Acoustic And Home My House Ver USD $7.03 Buy It Now 1 day
WALNUT SOUND Colours CD 3 Track Still Sealed B/w Fine If You're Fine And Still S USD $9.52 Buy It Now 1 day
LADY SOUL If My Sister's Introuble CD 3 Track B/w Shout And Lounge Medley (hwd12 USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
RAHZEL All I Know CD 3 Track Radio Edit B/w If Your Mother Only Knew Live And Qu USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
HIGH FIDELITY Scream If You Want To Go Faster CD 3 Track Part 1 (fake106cd1) UK USD $7.03 Buy It Now 1 day
TELEVISE Outside Out CD 3 Track B/w Let Me Go And If I Told You (ac302045) UK Cl USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
RUBY CRUISER Everybody Wants To Be Cool CD 3 Track B/w Do You Mind If I Share Yo USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTHA KITT If I Love Ya CD 3 Track B/w Just An Old Fashioned Girl And Let's Do USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
GLORIA ESTEFAN Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me CD 3 Track B/w If We Were Lovers And Mi USD $3.08 Buy It Now 1 day
DR HOOK A Little Bit More CD 3 Track B/w Sylvia's Mother And If Not You (cdemct6 USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
DOLLAR We Walked In Love 12" 3 Track Extended Version B/w Love Tonight And If Th USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD If Only I Could 12" 3 Track Extended Version B/w Pacha Garden USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD If Only I Could 12" 3 Track Extended Version Promo B/w Pacha G USD $9.96 Buy It Now 1 day
WEST END Hot For Rocking 12" 3 Track In A Company Sleeve B/w Instrumental And If USD $9.96 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT BENATAR We Live For Love 12" 3 Track B/w I Need A Lover And If You Think You USD $9.96 Buy It Now 1 day
CARLY SIMON Coming Around Again 12" 3 Track B/w Itsy Bitsy Spider And If It Wasn USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Super Furry Animals If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You 3 Track Cd Single USD $5.85 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next CD 3 USD $3.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next CD 3 Trac USD $3.07 Buy It Now 1 day
BABYBIRD If You'll Be Mine CD 3 Track Part 2 B/w Memorise And I Want Nothing (ec USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
GLORIA ESTEFAN If We Were Lovers CD 3 Track B/w Con Los Anos Que Me Quedan And T USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
K.D. LANG If I Were You CD 3 Track B/w Get Some And What's New Pussycat Live (w0 USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
ETHER (INDIE) If You Really Want To Know CD 3 Track Digi Pack (cdr6468) UK Parlo USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
BLUETONES If CD 3 Track Thick Case Issue (blued009) B/w Blue Shadows And The Wat USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 3 ratings distribution

IF If 3 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars On The band's third album the songwriting is much more commercial, and the same excellent musicianship remains.

The album kicks off with some Chicago sounding brass and Tull style flute playing on the brilliant seven-minute instrumental "Fibonacci's Number", which includes a nice jazzy drum break, followed by one of their best songs "Forgotten Roads" - a compilation CD was released bearing this title as this is one of their best songs; it has a Focus sounding intro, breaking into a catchy chorus "forgotten roads, forgotten people.". The song includes some fine playing including a very fast jazz guitar solo. The beautifully haunting ballad "Sweet January" follows, another very well written song with a good bass line and sax solo, and the marvellously catchy "Child of Storm", closing side 1 with a crash of thunder! "Far Beyond" with its lush backing vocals opens side 2, followed by the strangely titled "Seldom Seen Sam", a quirky musical highlight. The next track "Upstairs" is a rather heavier affair in places reminiscent of Purple's "Chasing Shadows". The last song "Here Comes Mister Time", another album highlight, featuring some clever guitar soloing from Terry Smith.

Though a much more commercial approach from the band on this album with more pop-orientated material, the excellent musicianship remains as strong on previous albums, essential jazz-rock.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unchanged line-up for this septet that released their third album in early , but on a different label called United Artist, thus abandoning one of the proggiest of labels, Islands, although the recording sessions took place at Islands Studios. With another gatefold sleeve, this time emphasising the UA logo on the back cover, 3 features all original compositions although, strangely enough, they used an outside lyricist for most tracks: Trevor Preston, already seen on one track of their second album.

Starting on the enthralling instrumental Fibonacci's Number, the album gets a really strong start, with the following Forgotten Roads, which was to prove their biggest hits (most notably in Germany). Both tracks are still much in the CTA or BS&T style, although the next Sweet January takes on a more soulish tone in the BS&T and Electric Flag style, even if the flute brings a noble touch. Child Of Storm returns to a better RnB with some excellent jazzy solos, most notably Morissey's awesome alto sax, the track ending in a great thunderbolt.

The flipside gets a Lighthouse-like start (yes, Skip Prokop's Canadian brass rock group Lighthouse) with the cheesy (mostly due to the chorus) Far Beyond (the flipside of the Forgotten road single, both tracks included as pointless bonus here), Seldom Seen Sam is returning to amore comfy RnB with some rather expert soloing from Mealing's electric piano, but Smith's twang-ey closing guitar parts are just not cutting it. The following Upstairs uses a cool organ and massive horn section answering lines. The closing Mr Time uses some more organ moans, this time in a Dave Greenslade and Rod Argent manner with Steve Smith's guitar getting an extra notice, and develops from a slow start with some clever chord changes; it would be one of the album's best track but vocally the track is just average.

As mentioned above, the bonus tracks are a pointless bonus, but 3 remains among the group's best works, and certainly the last of their better ones, 4 being a weird release, sometimes as a studio album, sometimes as a live album, depending which country you were in. So, if you like If's early stuff, this one should be absolutely no problems either.

5 stars With the abundance of new Prog releases it's easy to forget about groundbreaking works of Jazz-Rock pioneers from the early 70's. Especially when a younger generation were not even born at that time. This piece is intended to bring attention to this generally excellent work of this band from ... (read more)

Report this review (#1189827) | Posted by Anon-E-Mouse | Monday, June 09, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 3"