IF 3

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP UNITED ARTISTS UAG29158 (UK) (1971)
LP CAPITOL SMAS820 (US) (1971)
CD REPERTOIRE (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to bsurmano for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 3 Music

If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
If 3If 3
2004
Bobby Darin - his '61 Scripto Pop EP: "If A Man Answers" plus 3 - Near Mint! USD $3.50 Buy It Now 2h 38m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ USED,MINT CD Solillaquists of Sound: As If We Existed USD $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 59m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Solillaquists of Sound: As If We Existed USD $9.85 Buy It Now 3h
112 - WHAT IF 3-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS290 # USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
JOAN BAEZ EP Spain 1968 If you were a carpenter +3 USD $12.00 [0 bids]
1976 Neil Diamond If You Know What I Mean / Street Life 3-10368 45 rpm NM Vinyl USD $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 25m
BABYBIRD If You'll Be Mine 1998 SIGNED UK 3-track CD single + CoA USD $14.85 [0 bids]
IF double diamond US ORIGINAL LP Metromedia BML1-0174 (A2/A3) MINT NM USD $35.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Blue CD single: If You Come Back - 3 mixes & video USD $1.47 [0 bids]
Jello Biafra If Evolution Is Outlawed 3xCD Spoken Word DKs Hardcore Punk 1998 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
*"(If I Could Just) Get Relaxed" - by Kim Evans MP3 Music Download USD $0.99 Buy It Now 6h 7m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD : If You See Her... USD $8.92 Buy It Now 6h 36m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Starwood: If It Ain't Broke Break It USD $8.86 Buy It Now 6h 41m
JANIE FRICKE 3pc LOT 45s RECORDS IF YOU COULD SEE ME NOW DO ME WITH LOVE USD $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 37m
QUINCY JONES PATTI AUSTIN If This Time Is The Last Time 3 Tr PROMO CD R USD $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 45m
If I Had A Hammer 3 CD set - 75 classic folk songs USD $18.98 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Val Young: If you should ever be lonely (3 Remixes)/Rick James USD $2.23 [0 bids]
HALL AND OATES_IF That's What Makes You Happy_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_F3 USD $7.64 Buy It Now 17h 33m
KIM WILDE If I Can't Have You /You Keep Me Hangin' JAPAN 3" CD MVDM-39 Unsnapped USD $29.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
Various(CD Album)If You Want Reggae Vol.3-New USD $13.17 Buy It Now 20h 7m
HAVEN IF MUSIC IS YOUR HAVEN EP PROMO CD (5 TRACKS, 3 TRACKS NOT ON ORIGINAL CD) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 20h 13m
KITT eartha V3 if I was a boy MRS PATTERSON sweet & gentle 16 songs VG+ cd USD $5.56 Buy It Now 21h 52m
16 TAMBOURINES If I Should Stay 12" 3 Track B/w Same Old Story And Pokey Town P USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 8m
IF ? Everything And More 12" 3 Track Featuring Leftfield Vocal Mix, Leftfield Ra USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 9m
JEFFREY OSBORNE If My Brother's In Trouble 12" 3 Track Club Mix B/w Extended Hip USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 10m
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up 12" 3 Track B/w If You're Happy & Bean Phaidin Pic USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 10m
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up 12" 3 Track Promo B/w If You're Happy And Bean Phaid USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 10m
ALANNAH MYLES Black Velvet 12" 3 Track B/w If You Want To And Who Loves You Pic USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 10m
GILROY SIDDEN If We Can't Be Lovers 12" 3 Track But Has Name Written On Label B/ USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 10m
KIM APPLEBY If You Cared 12" 3 Track 12 Inch Remix B/w 12 Inch Ben Chapman Mix A USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 11m
KING OF THE HILL If I Say 12" 3 Track Promo B/w Acoustic Version, Purple Haze Li USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 11m
KING OF THE HILL If I Say 12" 3 Track Special Limited Edition With Colour Poster USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 11m
IF ? If 12" 3 Track Never Say Die Mix B/w 21st Century Dub Mix And Off With Thei USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 11m
HALO JAMES Wanted 12" 3 Track B/w Worlds Apart And If Tomorrow Ever Comes Around USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 11m
IF ? Open Up Your Head 12" 3 Track Featuring Vocalfield Mix, Trancefield Dub Mix USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 11m
HURRAH If Love Could Kill 12" 3 Track Pic Sleeve UK Kitchenware 1986 USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 11m
JAMIROQUAI Emergency On Planet Earth 12" 3 Track Extended Version B/w If I Like USD $15.57 Buy It Now 23h 12m
BRENDA RUSSELL Gravity 12" 3 Track Remix B/w Dub Mix And If Only For One Night USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
DIRK BLANCHART I Don't Mind If The Sputnik Lands 12" 3 Track 5 Mins Version B/w USD $8.89 Buy It Now 23h 12m
DR HOOK A Little Bit More 12" 3 Track B/w Sylvia's Mother And If Not You Pic Sl USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
DAVID BELLAMY Some Things Must Change 12" 3 Track Acid Underground B/w What If S USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
ATLANTIC STARR If Your Heart Isnt In It 12" 3 Track B/w Stand Up And Let's Start USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
CHICO DEBARGE Talk To Me 12" 3 Track 12 Inch Version B/w Album Version And If It USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
3 ACTION Don't Lose That Stealin' Feelin' 12" 4 Track Featuring If I Only Had Th USD $12.45 Buy It Now 23h 12m
GEORGE MCCRAE One Step Closer 12" 3 Track B/w If It Wasn't For You And Never To USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
COLIN HAY BAND Into My Life 12" 3 Track B/w If You Want It All And Wayfaring Son USD $10.90 Buy It Now 23h 12m
ASWAD If I Was 12" 3 Track B/w Fever And Day By Day Pic Sleeve UK Bubblin 1995 USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
HALL AND OATES Everything Your Heart Desires 12" 3 Track Featuring If You Want T USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
HALL AND OATES Everything Your Heart Desires 12" 3 Track If You Want The World E USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
COLIN JAMES If You Lean On Me 12" 3 Track Album Version B/w Radio Edit And Back USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 12m
LILAC TIME Girl Who Waves At Trains 12" 3 Track B/w If The Stars Shine Tonight A USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 22m
ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS If I Were A Bullet 12" 3 Track B/w Poet And Almost Dead And USD $14.01 Buy It Now 23h 23m
NONA HENDRYX If Looks Could Kill 12" 3 Track Killer Club Mix B/w Killer Dub Mix USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
MICHELLE SHOCKED If Love Was A Train 12" 3 Track B/w Memories Of East Texas And USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
MIDGE URE If I Was 12" 3 Track Extended Mix B/w Piano And The Man Who Sold The W USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
MINI CURRY If They Only Knew 12" 3 Track Vocal, Instrumental And Vocal Extended USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
PAULINE HENRY If I Can't Have You 12" 3 Track Kupper Classic Mix B/w Stoneys Clu USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
OMD If You Leave 12" 3 Track Extended Version B/w 8 Seconds In Greensboro USD $10.90 Buy It Now 23h 23m
PARACHUTE MEN If I Could Wear Your Jacket 12" 3 Track With Limited Postcard B/w USD $14.01 Buy It Now 23h 23m
O'CHI BROWN Why Can't We Be Friends 12" 3 Track B/w Dub Mix And If I'm Crying P USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
PRUDES Never Penetrate 12" 3 Track B/w Factotum And If You Think You're Free Pi USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
NEW EDITION If It Isn't Love 12" 3 Track Extended Version B/w Instrumental And D USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
RUBY TURNER WITH JONATHAN BUTLER If You're Ready 12" 3 Track Ep B/w Still On My USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 23m
ROBERT BROOKINS If You Only Knew 12" 3 Track Pic Sleeve UK Mca 1987 USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 24m
SOUL FAMILY SENSATION I Don't Even Know If I Should Call You Baby 12" 3 Track Da USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 24m
SIMPLY RED If You Don't Know Me By Now 12" 3 Track B/w Move On Out Live And Shin USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 24m
SHY Money 12" 3 Track Limited Metallic Sleeve B/w If You Want It And Make My Da USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 24m
SHY Money 12" 3 Track Promo B/w If You Want It And Make My Day Creasing To Lab USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 24m
SHY Money 12" 3 Track Still Sealed In Limited Metallic Sleeve B/w If You Want I USD $8.89 Buy It Now 23h 24m
SQUEEZE If It's Love 12" 3 Track B/w Franks Bag And Vanity Fair Some Ringwear P USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 24m
TRUE LIFE CONFESSIONS Don't Call Me Chickenhead 12" 3 Track B/w If I Can't Have USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 25m
WIRE TRAIN Should She Cry 12" 3 Track B/w If You See Her Go And Moonlight Dream USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 25m
STYLO PHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World 12" 3 Track USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 25m
VICTORIA WILSON JAMES I Want You In My Movie 12" 3 Track B/w If You Ev USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 28m
VENDETTA If You Want My Love 12" 3 Track Extended Version Limited Edition B/w Si USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 28m
BRYAN FERRY As Time Goes By CD 3 Track B/w Falling In Love Again And If I Didn't USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 36m
CAMERA OBSCURA If Looks Could Kill CD 3 Track With Info Stickered Digi Pack B/w USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 36m
50 CENT If I Can't CD 3 Track Clean Version Promo B/w Instrumental And Explicit USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 37m
ASWAD If I Was CD 3 Track B/w Fever And Day By Day UK Bubblin 1995 USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 37m
ASWAD If I Was CD 3 Track With Info Stickered Case B/w Fever And Day By Day UK USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 37m
A1 Like A Rose CD 3 Track Valentine Mix B/w If Only Almighty Club Mix And Everyt USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 37m
BLUE Blue Eyed Girl CD 3 Track B/w I Wonder If I'm Making It And I'll Get You B USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 37m
DANDY WARHOLS Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth CD 3 Track Part 2 B/w Gen USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 37m
DANDY WARHOLS Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth CD 3 Track Pic Disc Part USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 38m
BARBRA STREISAND As If We Never Said Goodbye CD 3 Track From Sunset Boulevard B/ USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 38m
BLUETONES If CD 3 Track Thick Case Issue B/w Blue Shadows And The Watchman GERM USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 39m
BLUETONES If CD 3 Track Thin Case Issue GERMAN A&m 1998 USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 39m
CHER One By One CD 3 Track B/w If I Could Turn Back Time And It's A Man's Man's USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 39m
ALL SAINTS Pure Shores CD 3 Track B/w Beach Life Mix And If You Don't Know What USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 39m
DES LYNAM If CD 3 Track B/w Leisure And Pavane Football Remix UK Bbc 1998 USD $9.34 Buy It Now 23h 39m
BABYBIRD If You'll Be Mine CD 3 Track Part 1 B/w Poolside And Worn UK Echo 1998 USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 39m
BABYBIRD If You'll Be Mine CD 3 Track Part 2 B/w Memorise And I Want Nothing UK USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 39m
21ST CENTURY GIRLS 21st Century Girls CD 3 Track Part 1 B/w If You're Mad Enough USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 40m
ALANNAH MYLES Black Velvet CD 3 Track B/w If You Want To And Who Loves You GERM USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 40m
3RD STOREE If Ever CD 4 Track So So Def Remix Without Rap With Info Stickered Ca USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 40m
DR HOOK A Little Bit More CD 3 Track B/w Sylvia's Mother And If Not You UK Emi USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 52m
EMMA HOLLAND From Now On CD 3 Track B/w If I Fall Acoustic And Home My Hous USD $8.89 Buy It Now 23h 52m
EMMA HOLLAND From Now On CD 3 Track B/w If I Fall Acoustic And Home My House Ver USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 52m
EARTHA KITT If I Love Ya CD 3 Track B/w Just An Old Fashioned Girl And Let's Do USD $7.78 Buy It Now 23h 52m
LP 2
~ USD $12.55
CD if4
~ USD $13.65

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 3 ratings distribution

IF If 3 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars On The band's third album the songwriting is much more commercial, and the same excellent musicianship remains.

The album kicks off with some Chicago sounding brass and Tull style flute playing on the brilliant seven-minute instrumental "Fibonacci's Number", which includes a nice jazzy drum break, followed by one of their best songs "Forgotten Roads" - a compilation CD was released bearing this title as this is one of their best songs; it has a Focus sounding intro, breaking into a catchy chorus "forgotten roads, forgotten people.". The song includes some fine playing including a very fast jazz guitar solo. The beautifully haunting ballad "Sweet January" follows, another very well written song with a good bass line and sax solo, and the marvellously catchy "Child of Storm", closing side 1 with a crash of thunder! "Far Beyond" with its lush backing vocals opens side 2, followed by the strangely titled "Seldom Seen Sam", a quirky musical highlight. The next track "Upstairs" is a rather heavier affair in places reminiscent of Purple's "Chasing Shadows". The last song "Here Comes Mister Time", another album highlight, featuring some clever guitar soloing from Terry Smith.

Though a much more commercial approach from the band on this album with more pop-orientated material, the excellent musicianship remains as strong on previous albums, essential jazz-rock.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unchanged line-up for this septet that released their third album in early , but on a different label called United Artist, thus abandoning one of the proggiest of labels, Islands, although the recording sessions took place at Islands Studios. With another gatefold sleeve, this time emphasising the UA logo on the back cover, 3 features all original compositions although, strangely enough, they used an outside lyricist for most tracks: Trevor Preston, already seen on one track of their second album.

Starting on the enthralling instrumental Fibonacci's Number, the album gets a really strong start, with the following Forgotten Roads, which was to prove their biggest hits (most notably in Germany). Both tracks are still much in the CTA or BS&T style, although the next Sweet January takes on a more soulish tone in the BS&T and Electric Flag style, even if the flute brings a noble touch. Child Of Storm returns to a better RnB with some excellent jazzy solos, most notably Morissey's awesome alto sax, the track ending in a great thunderbolt.

The flipside gets a Lighthouse-like start (yes, Skip Prokop's Canadian brass rock group Lighthouse) with the cheesy (mostly due to the chorus) Far Beyond (the flipside of the Forgotten road single, both tracks included as pointless bonus here), Seldom Seen Sam is returning to amore comfy RnB with some rather expert soloing from Mealing's electric piano, but Smith's twang-ey closing guitar parts are just not cutting it. The following Upstairs uses a cool organ and massive horn section answering lines. The closing Mr Time uses some more organ moans, this time in a Dave Greenslade and Rod Argent manner with Steve Smith's guitar getting an extra notice, and develops from a slow start with some clever chord changes; it would be one of the album's best track but vocally the track is just average.

As mentioned above, the bonus tracks are a pointless bonus, but 3 remains among the group's best works, and certainly the last of their better ones, 4 being a weird release, sometimes as a studio album, sometimes as a live album, depending which country you were in. So, if you like If's early stuff, this one should be absolutely no problems either.

5 stars With the abundance of new Prog releases it's easy to forget about groundbreaking works of Jazz-Rock pioneers from the early 70's. Especially when a younger generation were not even born at that time. This piece is intended to bring attention to this generally excellent work of this band from ... (read more)

Report this review (#1189827) | Posted by Anon-E-Mouse | Monday, June 09, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 3"