IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

What Did I Say About TWhat Did I Say About T
Repertoire 2008
Gold Fever / Don Goldie: If I Had Never Loved You 45 US $1.89 [0 bids]
30m 49s
IF YOU EVER NEED SOMEBODY - CHARLES VEAL - 1980 - RARE PROMO JAZZ FUNK 12" US $5.49 [0 bids]
30m 59s
WAYLON JENNINGS * IF OLE HANK COULD ONLY SEE US NOW & YOU WENT OUT WITH ROCK N' US $5.00 Buy It Now 31m 25s
If You're Looking For A Fool / What's Your Name 45 US $4.73 Buy It Now 32m 26s
Huge Hits Karaoke Pack 500 Songs 27 CD+Gs 4 player BONUS IF BID HITS $33 US $10.50 [11 bids]
32m 47s
1966 FOLK ROCK The Mamas And Papas If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears LP @ US $3.99 [0 bids]
33m 43s
TELLY SAVALAS - If - 1974 UK 7" vinyl single US $8.47 Buy It Now 34m 23s
Meatloaf-If You Really Want To 12" UK Picture Disc 1983 US $10.17 Buy It Now 35m 46s
SUNDRAY TUCKER * ASK MILLIE & IF IT WAS ME * 45 RPM US $14.00 Buy It Now 36m 4s
Don Henley / End Of The Innocence / If Dirt Were Dollars 45 & Pic Sleeve Eagles US $2.73 Buy It Now 36m 31s
IGGY POP & ZIG ZAGS / BETTY DAVIS: If I'm In Luck I Might Get Picked Up 45 ("Li US $8.00 Buy It Now 37m 17s
VERNA LEE POWEL:IF YOU DON'T WANNA:(JAMA) EX US $23.75 Buy It Now 37m 26s
Dink Perry: If It Is That Way / Lover's Holiday 45 - Modern Soul US $21.00 Buy It Now 38m 10s
POGUES*IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD (EXP ED)*CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 38m 10s
THRICE**IF WE COULD ONLY SEE US NOW**CD+DVD US $14.69 Buy It Now 38m 23s
John Cougar (Mellencamp) Nothin' Matters and What If It Did 1980 Cassette US $1.99 [0 bids]
38m 56s
I Nine - If This Room Could Move - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $5.95 Buy It Now 40m 40s
Panic at the disco but its better if you do 1 track promo cd single US $1.68 [0 bids]
42m 25s
Status Quo - If You Can't Stand The Heat... LP ROCK 1979 YUGOSLAV PRESS VERY GOO US $9.90 Buy It Now 42m 29s
If You Can Believe Your Eyes & - Mamas & The Papas US $5.99 Buy It Now 43m 11s
'68 TREASURE ISLE ROCKSTEADY 45 DANNY SIMPSON MARY POPPINS/YARDBROOMS IF YOU.. ? US $70.00 Buy It Now 44m 1s
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Bros. US $1.00 Buy It Now 45m 30s
THE TWILIGHTS if she finds out*john hardy 1966 COLUMBIA OZ BEAT 45 LISTEN US $50.92 Buy It Now 45m 55s
AC/DC if you want blood LP 10 track (ksd19212) canadian atlantic 1978 US $15.29 Buy It Now 46m 39s
DARLENE LOVE "TOO LATE TO SAY YOU'RE SORRY c/w IF" DJ SCARCE NORTHERN LISTEN! US $305.52 Buy It Now 46m 45s
7"-Single CHEAP TRICK - If You Want My Love (1982) HOLLAND PS US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 1s
38 Special-If I'd Been The One (PS) Mint US $7.00 Buy It Now 48m 46s
Wham! - Best of - If You Were There... (1997) US $6.77 Buy It Now 49m 21s
Rare Embrace If You've Never Been 2001 EU Hut Virgin Records CD CDHUT68 Import US $20.00 Buy It Now 50m 18s
JOE - IF I WAS YOUR MAN 2TRK PROMO CD SINGLE B12 US $3.99 Buy It Now 50m 56s
Pop Promo 45 ROBERT GOULET If Ever I Would Leave You on Columbia (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 51m 10s
2PAC - I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto (UK 4 Tk CD Single) US $7.62 Buy It Now 51m 12s
JOHNSTONS - If I Sang My Song [UK 1972 Transatlantic - Gatefold - NEAR MINT] US $20.28 Buy It Now 51m 16s
If We Keep Moving by My Complex (CD, Feb-2000, Headhunter) US $5.99 Buy It Now 51m 37s
Patrick Simmons- If You Want A little Love / So Wrong -45rpm US $0.99 [0 bids]
52m 4s
GOOFY'S HOLIDAY CD JAPAN IMPORT NEVER CHANGE /IF I LOSE MY MIND/I BELIEVE IT #34 US $8.49 Buy It Now 52m 35s
MIKI ANTONY if it wasn't for the reason that i love you 1972 UK BELL 45 US $13.58 Buy It Now 53m 5s
JET BUMPERS if you want action you've got it 1999 GERMAN punk/rock 7'' EP US $9.00 Buy It Now 53m 28s
If You Come to Greet Me US $6.19 Buy It Now 53m 56s
If the Rains Come First [Digipak] * by Somi (CD, Oct... US $9.74 Buy It Now 53m 58s
KENNY ROGERS - Maybe / If I Knew Then What I Know Now - 45RPM US $1.25 [0 bids]
54m 2s
London Grammar - If You Wait (CD 2013) Digipak US $7.11 [3 bids]
54m 43s
Bonnie Guitar 45 "If You See My Love Dancing" US $5.24 Buy It Now 55m 42s
NOS SHENANDOAH....DARNED IF DON'T US $6.00 Buy It Now 56m 38s
VARIOUS ARTISTS**IF YOU'RE IRISH: DRINKING SONGS**CD US $4.15 Buy It Now 58m 55s
Catch Me If You Can - CD [NEW] US $7.13 Buy It Now 59m 51s
Bobby Darin 45 "A True, True Love/ If A Man Answers" US $5.24 Buy It Now 59m 53s
5 STAR, IF I SAY YES, 7" PICTURE SHAPE DISC 1986 EX PB 40981P US $16.96 Buy It Now 1h
CD Brooks & Dunn: IF YOU SEE HER (CD 1998 Arista) Country US $7.00 [0 bids]
1h
BOBBY SHERMAN Julie Do You Love Me / La,La,La If I Had You COLLECTABLES NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Benny Wilson 7" 45 PROMO HEAR If You Wanna Talk Love COUNTRY ROCK 1986 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Dionne Warwicke 7" 45 HEAR SOUL If We Only Have Love WB Close to You US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Richard R. Riccio with The Depression Band: If We Ever Get Together 45 - ETS US $8.40 Buy It Now 1h 3m
COLLIN RAYE CD ALL I CAN BE It Couldve Been So Good, If I Were You US $0.01 [0 bids]
BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE - SPIRIT IF NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Jars Of Clay --If I Left The Zoo US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
STEVIE B IF YOU STILL LOVE ME 12" 1995 THUMP 2216 SEALED FREESTYLE US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Pop Promo 45 THE RIVER BOAT FIVE If I Could Be With You / Someday Sweetheart on US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Soul Promo NM! 45 DONNIE ELBERT That's If You Love Me on All Platinum (promo) 6 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The Rolling Stones Got Live If You Want It 1966 LP Vinyl EX Mono London LL 3493 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
LES BAXTER:TAKE MY LOVE/IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN ME:(CAPITOL) EX+ US $23.75 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Reba McEntire CD If You See Him FREE SHIPPING US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Reba McEntire CD What if it's you FREE SHIPPING US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
If We Fall in Love Tonight by Rod Stewart Brand New! US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
S'Il Suffisait d'Aimer (If It Is Enough to Love) by Celine Dion (CD,... US $3.99 [0 bids]
If You're Feeling Sinister - And Sebastian Belle New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $15.55 Buy It Now 1h 9m
HAROLD MELVIN/BLUE NOTES*IF YOU DONT KNOW ME BY NOW*CD US $10.97 Buy It Now 1h 9m
If You Saw Thro' My Eyes by Ian Matthews (CD, Sep-2007, Water Music Records) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Clarence Carter and Candi If you can't beat em 7" vinyl MONO/Stereo orig outer US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
RAY CHARLES if i give you my love LP 10 track pic disc (pd50014) danish all roun US $30.62 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Vinyl LP Record Double Album - BARRY MANILOW If I Should Love Again US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 13m
THE DIXIE DREGS "What If" CD, 1998 Capricorn (Steve Morse/Rod Morgenstein) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
DAVID ALLAN COE-JACK DANIELS,IF YOU PLEASE B/W-HUMAN EMOTIONS-VG+ US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 13m
BOB EBERLY If I Had My Life to Live Over / I Tipped My Hat 10" 78 Decca 23835 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
STING - If On A Winter's Night - CD US $7.77 Buy It Now 1h 15m
THE DETROIT EMERALDS i bet you get the one / if i lose your love 7" VG W 156 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
LINEAR: CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE [Since You Been Gone,Smile If You Like Sex++] NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
NANCY WILSON if i could 12" Mint- Promo CAS 1584 Vinyl 1988 Record US $15.75 Buy It Now 1h 18m
U2 - If God Will Send His Angels (UK 4 Tk CD Single Pt 1) US $8.47 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Soul 45 RONNIE DYSON (If You Me Make Love To You Then) Why Can't I Touch You? on US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
KRISTY HOFFMAN-What If-David Moody(Brothers)CHARLOTTE US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Connie Francis If My Pillow Could Talk / You're The Only One Can Hurt Me US $0.79 [0 bids]
If You Had My Love [US CD5/Cassette] [Single] by Jennifer Lopez (CD, May-1999, S US $3.97 Buy It Now 1h 23m
U2 - MOFO Remixes/If God Will Send His Angels (UK 3 Tk CD Single Pt 2) US $7.62 Buy It Now 1h 24m
JAMES RAY it's been a drag / if you gotta make a fool of somebody 7" VG US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Terje Rypdal: If Mountains Could Sing by Terje Rypdal (CD, Feb-1995, ECM) US $13.32 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Soul NM! 45 LITTLE MILTON If That Ain't A Reason (For Your Woman To Leave You) 2 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Pop Promo 45 EDDY ARNOLD If The Whole World Stopped Lovin' on MGM (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Soul NM! 45 ISAAC HAYES I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) on 2 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Soul NM! 45 DONNIE ELBERT That's If You Love Me on All Platinum 3 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Soul NM! 45 CLARENCE CARTER AND CANDI If You Can't Beat 'Em on Atlantic 4 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
DAVID WILEY if the bomb falls - recorded guide to nuclear survival LP VG L1728 US $125.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
RONNIE DEE & STANDARD MEN: If I Could Start My Life Again (soul vinyl 45) US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
SOUL MEKANIK INVENTS BEN E LUX if u nu 12" Mint- RIP 009 Vinyl 2002 Record US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Ann Peebles: If This Is Heaven SEALED LP - Soul US $9.80 Buy It Now 1h 29m
VG++ LINDA HARGROVE WHAT IF WE WERE RUNNIN' OUT OF LOVE 1974 RPM ELEKTRA EK45877 US $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 29m
BILL RYDER-JONES**IF. (180G/MP3 DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $20.93 Buy It Now 1h 30m
VEDA BROWN don't start lonin' me (if you're gonna stop) / fever 7" VG STAX US $27.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
ROGER GLOVER AND THE GUILTY PARTY**IF LIFE WAS EASY**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 1h 32m
AWB: High Flyin' Woman / If I Ever Lose This Heaven 45 US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 33m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132959) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#178943) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458878) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011

Post a review of IF "If 4"