IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
Vinyl$25.00 (used)
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
British Radio Sessions 1970-1972 by If (2013-05-04)British Radio Sessions 1970-1972 by If (2013-05-04)
On The Air
2 by IF (2014-05-04)2 by IF (2014-05-04)
Imports
If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)
Imports
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]

BREAD If/ Take Comfort 45 Elektra EKM-45720 VG++ PICTURE SLEEVE B4 USD $7.98 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Halo James Magic Hour 7" Epic HALO4 EX/EX 1990 picture sleeve, Magic Hour/If Tom USD $8.34 Buy It Now 4h 49m
JLO JENNIFER LOPEZ IF YOU HAD MY LOVE 4TRK SINGLE CD USD $6.35 Buy It Now 6h 16m
BACK 2 BACK IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 4TRK SINGLE CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
BROWN, Andrew (If We Try) 4 Brothers 446 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Elvis Presley, 4pk45s,original Canada, If You Talk In Your Sleep,Don't Cry Daddy USD $15.67 [0 bids]
4x Wanda Jackson Rockabilly 45:Rock Your Baby,Middle Of A Heartache,If I Cried.. USD $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 32m
The Wonder Stuff - If The Beatles Had Read Hunter ... - The Wonder Stuff CD 4ALN USD $4.13 Buy It Now 17h 20m
Bill & Boyd - If I Were A Rich Man 4 track 7" vinyl EP 'Sunshine' 1967 Aus NM USD $10.91 Buy It Now 17h 21m
BLUE - IF YOU COME BACK (4 TRK ECD) (REF B6) USD $5.13 Buy It Now 18h 7m
Carol Hall (4) - If I Be Your Lady (Vinyl) USD $24.41 Buy It Now 19h 14m
THE KINKS FRENCH EP. 4 song " Got Love If You Want It" USD $150.00 Buy It Now 20h 43m
BUDGIE If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Wild Fi USD $26.99 Buy It Now 20h 52m
FRANK BEVERLEY & THE BUTLERS 'IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANTED' HEAT 4 INFERNO 1979 UK USD $12.85 [1 bids]
[EDM]~NM 12"~LIZ TORRES~If U Keep It Up (Dope Dub)~{x4 Mixes/Remixes]~[1990~WLP] USD $3.88 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Hanson IF ONLY Special Remixed + VIDEO 4 track USD $9.35 Buy It Now 1 day
17/7/93PGN08 ADVERT 4X11" THE FAT LADY SINGS : IF I HELD YOU IN MY ARMS AGAIN USD $6.43 Buy It Now 1 day
38 SPECIAL If I'd Been The One 12" A&M Rec. SP-17246 US 1983 VG++ TEST PRESS 4E USD $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
[GOT7]4th mini album-Mad/If you do/Horizontal version/JINYOUNG Photocard USD $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
[GOT7]4th mini album-Mad/If you do/Vertical version/JINYOUNG Photocard USD $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MC 900 Ft. Jesus But If You Go Europe 12" 4 mixes USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Red Flag If I Ever 4 mixes US 12" USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SCIENTISTS OF MODERN MUSIC_Because If We Die_used CD_ships from AUS!_zz4_xyz1a USD $9.38 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Goodfellaz If you walk Away Suger honey ice Tea HEY 4 track USD $9.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Wet wet wet If I never see you again 4 track 1997 CD single USD $0.63 [0 bids]
(2) Adam Faith ?- Mix Me A Person / If He Tells You : Parlophone : 1962/4 USD $5.13 Buy It Now 1 day
MN8-If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Tracks, Radio Mix/Absolute 12 Inch Mix/Club Mix/ USD $3.84 Buy It Now 1 day
DODGY - If You're Thinking Of Me (UK 4 Tk 1996 CD Single) USD $4.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Pete Seeger - If I Had A Hammer - Vol. 3 RARE 1958 Israeli Israel 4xTracks EP 7" USD $29.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Primal Scream - If They Move, Kill 'Em GO021 Live CD A4 USD $22.94 Buy It Now 1 day
CHRIS BRAIDE: IF I HADN'T GOT YOU [4 Track CD + Mini Poster] USD $1.29 [0 bids]
LUCIANA - IF YOU WANT - 4 TRACK UK CD SINGLE USD $2.56 Buy It Now 1 day
Transvision Vamp - If Looks Could Kill (1991 MCA Promotional 12" EP) 4 Tracks USD $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
LAWSON & 4 MORE:If You Want Me You Can Find Me-Back For-U.S.7" 66 Ardent 105 PSL USD $448.98 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHNNY MATHIS, THE BEST DAYS IF MY LIFE 8 TRACK TAPE CARTRIDGE 7582-1 BOX 4 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 4 Tk CD Single) USD $3.84 Buy It Now 2 days
NORTHERN - ANDREW BROWN - IF WE TRY - 4 BROTHERS - LISTEN USD $3.21 [1 bids]
love seats with 4 pillows i will throw in a tv stand if you can come get it fast USD $250.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Edwyn Collins If you could love me 4 track CD single USD $0.63 [0 bids]
Suzi Quatro - If You Knew Suzi / Suzi...& Other 4 Letter Words [New CD] England USD $9.50 Buy It Now 2 days
[EDM]~EXC 12"~ONLY IN THE DARK~LISSETTE MELENDEZ~If You Truly Love Me~[x4 Mixes] USD $3.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Lot of 4 JARS OF CLAY CDs: Much Afraid, If I Left the Zoo, Who We Are Instead USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
+4 BONUS TRACKS-> TAMAR BRAXTON Calling All Lovers DELUXE CD If I Don't Have You USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Huey Lewis And The News - If This Is It - 4 Track EP Import USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
If I Wanted to / Come to My Window (CD Single) Melissa Etheridge (4 Tracks) USD $1.25 Buy It Now 2 days
BLACK & JAY - Affiliated 4 Life: If Ya Scared Say Ya Scared - CD ** Brand New ** USD $54.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Some Enchanted Evening inc If I Loved You + Box Set Cassette Tape x 4 USD $11.57 Buy It Now 2 days
SHERYL CROW - IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY 4 track CD USD $3.52 Buy It Now 2 days
if only ( radio edit 3:59 / uk radio mix 4:04 / jfp club mix (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $5.85 Buy It Now 2 days
MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK Go PHOTO Print POSTER Even if It Kills Me Shirt CD 001 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 2 days
THE POGUES If I Should Fall from Grace with God PHOTO Print POSTER Band 001 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 2 days
Britney Spears If U Seek Amy Maxi Premium EU 4-Track Enhance CD single USD $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RAYMOND LEFEVRE 45 SOUL COAXING B/W IF I WERE A CARPENTER VG+ FOUR CORNERS 4-147 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
INCUBUS Alive At Red Rocks PHOTO Print POSTER Band If Not Now, When? Shirt 007 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 2 days
INCUBUS A Crow Left Of The Murder 2004 UK Tour PHOTO Print POSTER Band If Not 06 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 2 days
HUNDRED REASONS If I Could used 4 track 2002 CD single deluxe artwork USD $1.27 [0 bids]
PINK FLOYD NEW STILL SEALED THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY 4 OUT IF 5 STARS FOR RARITY USD $100.00 [0 bids]
Jackie Tent If You Love Me / Only One Such 4 vg++ '64 Northern Soul Popcorn Kapp USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NIGHT WALKERS: Why? 4:16-If I Can Reach You 2:56-U.S. 7" API ARI 4501,Ontario USD $148.98 Buy It Now 3 days
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS 7'' SINGLE, 1982, CHRYSALIS, VS4 42803 if this is it USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ed The Great Gates One If You Are My Love 45 Rpm Record 4 Star Label USD $299.99 Buy It Now 3 days
U2 - If God Will Send His Angels (4:32) - UK (?) One Track Promo CD Single USD $19.47 Buy It Now 3 days
ra1150 Michael McDonald If That's What It Takes 1-23703 Vinyl LP Japan J4U USD $1.32 Buy It Now 3 days
Ronan Keating If Tomorrow Never Comes Diff Cover Thai 4 Tracks Single CD Seal USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Hanson IF ONLY UK Import 4-trk Remixes CD Maxi Single Including CD-Rom Video USD $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BUDGIE IF SWALLOWED DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING 12" 4 TRACKS 1980 - Nice clean record USD $16.71 Buy It Now 3 days
THE GIBSON BROTHERS 'QUE SERA MI VIDA (IF YOU SHOULD GO)' UK 7" SINGLE #4 USD $1.27 Buy It Now 3 days
East 17 & Gabrielle - If You Ever (4 TRCK CD 1996) London Records**NR MINT CD** USD $3.84 Buy It Now 3 days
TOPOL If I Were A Rich Man 4 track Promo CD Single USD $23.10 [0 bids]
PATTI LABELLE If Only You Knew / I'll Never, Never Give Up 45rpm VG+ ZS4 04248 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
AUTOGRAPHED Rebecca St James If I Had One Chance To Tell You Something BOGO B4G1 USD $14.99 [0 bids]
Stars and Sons If it's good for me 4 Track Promo Demo CD USD $1.92 Buy It Now 4 days
FOUR-EVERS 4 Seasons doowop Smash 45 Be My Girl / If I Were A Magician FM651 USD $11.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Michael McDonald 4 Lot No Lookin' Back, If That's What, Doobies Step USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Ruben Studdard - WHAT IF [4 Versions] 12" Vinyl Single NM USD $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Pop Promo 45 Raymond Lefevre - If I Only Had Time / Delilah On 4 Corners Of The USD $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
ZZ4 LUCK 010 PAULA MOTES COUNTRY BOPPER IM WONDERING IF YOU'RE THINKING LONELY USD $24.00 [0 bids]
?? GABRIELLE IF YOU REALLY CARED 4 TRACK CD SINGLE NEAR EX CONDITION ?? USD $3.21 Buy It Now 4 days
White Lion Radar Love If My Mind is Evil Cassette Tape Single Atlantic 4-88836 USD $2.49 Buy It Now 4 days
4 "Jars of Clay" CD's...ST / Much Afraid / If I Left the Zoo / The Eleventh Hour USD $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Freestyle 12" Jaya "If You Leave Me Now (4 Mixes)" LMR VG USD $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Diana Ross - If We Hold On Together (4 track CD single) USD $2.51 Buy It Now 4 days
TOPOL_If I Were A Rich Man_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!__zz5_M4f USD $9.38 Buy It Now 4 days
CHICAGO THE CHICAGO STORY GREATEST IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 25 OR 6 TO 4 HARD HABIT USD $9.48 Buy It Now 4 days
Blue: If You Come Back (Deleted 4 track Enhanced CD Single) USD $1.92 Buy It Now 4 days
CRYSTAL WATERS Say If you feel 4 EDITS MIX PROMO CD NBA USD $14.24 Buy It Now 4 days
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 4 Trk CD Single) USD $4.49 Buy It Now 5 days
Nancy Wilson: If I Had My Way PROMO w/ Artwork MUSIC AUDIO CD Edit 4t CSK 41074 USD $6.29 Buy It Now 5 days
RICKY NELSON--4-SONG-HARD COVER-EP+45-IMP-154--(IF U CAN'T ROCK ME)--PS---PIC-- USD $12.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Pick 4CDs from lot of over 50 Classic Rock/Pop CDs All Have orig Art (6 if BIN) USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $6.99 Buy It Now
ELVIS PRESLEY - IF I CAN DREAM 2016 FLYERS x 4 USD $1.93 Buy It Now 5 days
Sugar - If I Can't Change Your Mind 4 Track CD Single USD $6.22 Buy It Now 5 days
BLUE - FLY BY II/IF YOU COME BACK 4 track CD USD $4.57 Buy It Now 5 days
If Everything Goes As Planned EP Heartworms 7" vinyl single record USA POOF4 USD $12.78 Buy It Now 5 days
KING OF THE HILL If I Say CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic, Purple Haze Live And I Do U USD $4.49 Buy It Now 5 days
If You're Lookin' For A Way Out - 4-Prong Odyssey UK 7" vinyl single record USD $14.07 Buy It Now 5 days
Olivia Newton John If Not For You - 4pr UK 7" vinyl single record 7N.25543 PYE USD $14.07 Buy It Now 5 days
Val Doonican If I Knew Then What I Know Now - 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK USD $12.78 Buy It Now 5 days
Daughter If You Leave vinyl LP album record UK CAD3301 4AD 2013 USD $30.78 Buy It Now 5 days
If That's What It Takes Terraplane 7" vinyl single record UK TERRA4 EPIC 1987 USD $12.78 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"