IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
4 by IF (2013-08-03)4 by IF (2013-08-03)
Imports

DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only Remember My Name 2005 4xLP 45 RPM SSided SEALED! USD $425.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" VINYL 4 Track Remix B/W As Time Goes USD $6.59 Buy It Now 2h 9m
LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W Instrumental, If Only For One USD $6.59 Buy It Now 2h 9m
GEORGE CLINTON If Anybody Gets Funked Up 12" VINYL 4 Track Album Version Promo USD $11.74 Buy It Now 2h 10m
NSP AND DAVID CAMACHO FEATURING JON JUNIOR We Can Make It If We Try 12" VINYL 4 USD $6.59 Buy It Now 2h 10m
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" VINYL 4 Track Radio Edit B/W Club Mix, Piano USD $6.59 Buy It Now 2h 10m
78RPM Vocalion 4929 Lawrence Welk, If I Hadn't Met U/ I Paid 4 the Lie I Told E- USD $8.98 Buy It Now 2h 46m
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL 4 Track Main Mix Promo B/w Junior's X Beat USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 21m
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Sa USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 21m
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" VINYL 4 Track B/w Hard Times, If You Don't Want My USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 21m
DON JACK & THE DESIGN Back Chat 12" VINYL 4 Track B/w If This Is Love, Please USD $11.74 Buy It Now 3h 21m
ONLY IN THE DARK If You Truly Love Me 12" VINYL 4 Track Club Kryptonite Mix USD $2.76 Buy It Now 3h 21m
TAMPERER FEATURING MAYA If You Buy This Record 12" VINYL 4 Track (0530081) UK USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 21m
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL 4 Track Promo (Proa7932) US Warner Bros USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 21m
TONY TONI TONE If I Had No Loot 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Extended Version USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 21m
J.J. If This Is Love 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W Denim And Blue, If This Is Love USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 21m
MOTHERS (90'S GROUP) Even If We Lose 12" VINYL 4 Track Promo (Sam712) UK Elektra USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 21m
ERASURE Circus 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Live Versions Of Victim Of Love, If USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 21m
JUNIOR DUNN If You Leave Me Now 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W You Should Have Told Me USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 21m
ALTERNATIVE RADIO Save One Dream 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W Wishful Thinking, If You USD $5.55 Buy It Now 3h 21m
MOTION PICTURES (INDIE GROUP) If All Things Were Never Said 12" VINYL 4 Track USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 21m
MCALMONT Either 12" VINYL 4 Track B/w Edit, You Made Me And As If I'd Known USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 22m
OBSESSION (DANCE) If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL 4 Track Saturday Mix USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 22m
DODGY I Need Another 12" VINYL 4 Track Dj Promo B/W Never Again, If I Fall USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 22m
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Said USD $2.76 Buy It Now 3h 22m
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" VINYL 4 Track True Mix Radio Edit USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 22m
3 ACTION Don't Lose That Stealin' Feelin' 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring If I Only USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 22m
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" VINYL 4 Track Band Of Gypsies Mix B/W Judge USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 23m
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number 12" VINYL 4 Track Test Pressing In Title USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 23m
MELI'SA MORGAN If You Can Do It I Can Too 12" VINYL 4 Track Extended Version USD $5.53 Buy It Now 3h 23m
LUCIANA If You Want 12" VINYL 4 Mixes With Delta Con Baixo Mix (12Chs5009) Pic USD $4.15 Buy It Now 3h 23m
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" VINYL 4 Track White Label Brown Eyes Mix, Slow Sex USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 23m
FISH MONKEY MAN If I've Told You Once 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W Air And Skin USD $6.59 Buy It Now 3h 23m
EUSEBE If Masser Says 12" VINYL 4 Track 7" Edit Remix By Bbg B/W Full Version USD $2.76 Buy It Now 3h 23m
CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW/TOGETHER AGAIN 7" SINGLE 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $5.22 Buy It Now 3h 48m
SEALED 12"~LEON HAYWOOD~That's What Time It Is~[4:05]~If You're Lookin For~[5:29 USD $3.97 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Rihanna - If It's Lovin That You Want 4 Track CD Single Incl Video USD $6.09 Buy It Now 10h 33m
BLUE FLY BY II / IF YOU COME BACK EP AUSTRALIAN LIMITED EDITION 4 TRACK CD - VG USD $6.70 Buy It Now 10h 35m
U2 If God Will Send His Angels CD 4 Track Single Version B/W Slow Dancing, Two USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 7m
FUZZ TOWNSHEND Hello Darlin CD 4 Track B/W Ardmix, If I Fell, Instrumental USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 7m
VANESSA WILLIAMS Where Do We Go From Here CD 4 Track B/W Erase, If I Had Wings USD $8.97 Buy It Now 12h 7m
GABRIELLE If You Really Cared CD 4 Track Radio Edit White Sleeve Design In USD $4.15 Buy It Now 12h 7m
BALLROOM (INDIE) Take It CD 4 Track B/W Edit, Her Sweet Saliva And If I USD $5.53 Buy It Now 12h 7m
THRILLS (IRISH) Whatever Happened To Corey Haim CD 4 Track Enhanced Disc B/w If USD $5.53 Buy It Now 12h 7m
A1 Summertime Of Our Lives CD 4 Track B/W Metro Club Mix, If You Were My Girl USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 7m
STING When We Dance CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/W If You Love Somebody Set Them USD $5.53 Buy It Now 12h 7m
DREAM CITY FILM CLUB If I Die I Die CD 4 Track B/W Pissboy, When I Sleep USD $4.15 Buy It Now 12h 7m
WILL YOUNG Don't Let Me Down CD 4 Track B/w You And I, If That's What You Want USD $2.77 Buy It Now 12h 7m
ATOMIC KITTEN If You Come To Me CD 4 Track B/W So Right, Feels So Good USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 7m
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me CD 4 Track (8928872) Dutch Virgin USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 7m
BLOW MONKEYS Springtime For The World CD 4 Track B/W Other Side Of You, If You USD $8.97 Buy It Now 12h 7m
JAMIROQUAI Emergency On Planet Earth CD 4 Track B/W Extended Version, If I Like USD $5.53 Buy It Now 12h 8m
FIELD MUSIC If Only The Moon Were Up CD 4 Track Promo In Special Card Sleeve USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 8m
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next CD 4 USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 8m
GOOD CHARLOTTE Anthem CD 4 Track Part 1 B/W CD Rom Video, If You Leave USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 8m
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up CD 4 Track B/w If You're Happy, Bean Phaidin And If USD $5.53 Buy It Now 12h 8m
ROBERT PLANT If I Were A Carpenter CD Promo Radio Edit Version (Fatdj4) UK USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 8m
MCALMONT Either CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w You Made Me, As If I'd Known A USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 8m
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Give It Away CD 4 Track Edit Part 2 B/W If You Have To USD $6.59 Buy It Now 12h 8m
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD If You're Not The One CD 4 Track Enhanced Disc B/W Metro USD $5.53 Buy It Now 13h 24m
BRITNEY SPEARS_IF U Seek Amy_used cd-s_ships from AUS!__F4 USD $153.13 Buy It Now 15h 42m
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over... CD +4 bonus trks USD $9.23 [0 bids]
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $11.82 Buy It Now 16h 56m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $26.39 Buy It Now 16h 56m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $19.74 Buy It Now 16h 56m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $15.78 Buy It Now 16h 56m
If Life Hands You A Lemon, Make A Gin & Tonic - Poster Art - A4 Size USD $6.93 Buy It Now 18h 18m
4/5/91PN60 ADVERT: SFS I DONT EVEN KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL YOU BABY 3X11 USD $6.59 Buy It Now 19h
Mamas & the Papas "IF You Can Believe..." Reel to Reel Tape 3 3/4 IPS USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Doggys Angels Baby If Your Ready 12 Inch Single Vinyl Record Snoop Dogg Toi 4 Tk USD $5.99 Buy It Now 20h 7m
If - 4 (NEW CD) USD $12.86 Buy It Now 20h 18m
SHERYL CROW lot 4x CD if it makes you happy TUESDAY NIGHT MUSIC CLUB debut GLOBE USD $15.99 Buy It Now 20h 20m
If - If 4 [CD New] USD $13.10 Buy It Now 22h 37m
PREFAB SPROUT - If You Don't Love Me (UK 4 Tk CD Single Pt 1) USD $8.57 Buy It Now 23h 43m
4 MAKING DO: If I Only Had The $ / The Simple Life 45 rare Rock USD $65.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Cheap Trick - "If You Want My Love" 7" (1982) EX / "4 Letter Word" VG+ USD $1.31 Buy It Now 1 day
Wet wet wet If I never see you again 4 track 1997 CD single USD $1.31 Buy It Now 1 day
JERRY NAYLOR If I Promise COLUMBIA PROMO 45-4-45212 UPTEMPO POP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Michael Bloomfield 4 LP Lot If You Love These Blues Triumvirate Count Talent ++ USD $31.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Huey Lewis And The News If This Is It 1983 VS4 42803 45 + PS USD $1.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Unknown Artist If You Leave Me Now4t CD USD $6.06 Buy It Now 1 day
U2: IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS [4 TRACK CD SINGLE] (Sunday Bloody Sunday-Live) USD $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
[RAP]~NM 12"~ABYSS~Catch 22 (Damn If You Do Dam If You Don't)~[x4 Mixes]~[2002] USD $1.97 Buy It Now 1 day
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND 4 TR EU CDSINGLE VERY RARE USD $29.95 Buy It Now 1 day
C4 promo cardboard sleeve DJ FORMAT IF YOU CAN'T JOIN 'EM ... BEAT' EM USD $20.17 Buy It Now 1 day
EUROVISION 2006 SWITZERLAND-SIX4ONE-IF WE ALL GIVE A LITTLE-CD-R PRESS PAK USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PAULINE HENRY - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU - 4 MIX UK CD SINGLE USD $2.63 Buy It Now 1 day
MOBY GRAPE-WOW-Vinyl LP--Sundazed Re-Naked, if I Want to-Motorcycle Irene-3-4-LP USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PRINCE - If I Was Your Girl Friend (4:54) 1987 DJ 12" USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IF the SHOE FITS (W.B.M.S. 126) (P) ('79) 2 by: Aztec Camera, Gang of 4, Juluka USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEAL McCOY 4 CDs IF I WAS A DRINKIN MAN girls of summer PARTY ON Where forever USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE S.O.S. BAND "IF YOU WANT MY LOVE" 4Z9 04161 (1983) * i combine shipping * USD $3.97 Buy It Now 2 days
NEAL McCOY 4 CDs I WAS girls of summer NOW I PRAY FOR RAIN if you can't be good USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Lawson & 4 More-Smart Bird / If You Want Me, You Can Find Me NEW USD $21.60 Buy It Now 2 days
David Cassidy If I Didn't Care 4pr UK 7" vinyl single record BELL1350 USD $14.46 Buy It Now 2 days
Robert Plant If I Were A Carpenter CD single (CD5 / 5") UK FATED4 PHONOGRAM USD $16.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Johnny Cash Country Boy 4 Song Sun EP, Rock Island Line, If The Good Lord's.. USD $30.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago If You Leave Me Now - 4 Prong UK 7" vinyl single record SCBS4603 CBS USD $13.12 Buy It Now 2 days
Syreeta If The Shoe Fits 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK MOTC4 MOTORCITY USD $15.77 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"