IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
$11.15
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
$29.48
If by IF (2014-05-04)If by IF (2014-05-04)
$30.36
If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)
Repertoire
$42.77
4 by IF (2013-05-04)4 by IF (2013-05-04)
$33.69
If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)
$33.82

David Cassidy If I Didn't Care 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK BELL1350 USD $15.36 Buy It Now
Yvonne Elliman If I Can't Have You - 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK 2090266 RSO USD $15.36 Buy It Now
Heartworms If Everything Goes As Planned EP 7" vinyl single record USA POOF4 USD $13.94 Buy It Now 9m 23s
If That's What It Takes Terraplane 7" vinyl single record UK TERRA4 EPIC 1987 USD $13.94 Buy It Now 50m 32s
Danton Eeprom - If Looks Could Kill [CD] USD $15.69 Buy It Now 1h 50m
BUCKS FIZZ 'IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT' UK 7" SINGLE #4 USD $1.39 Buy It Now 2h 2m
CLINIC If you could read your mind 4 TRACK CD NEW - NOT SEALED USD $4.19 Buy It Now 2h 12m
BRITNEY SPEARS_IF U Seek Amy_used cd-s_ships from AUS!__F4 USD $153.49 Buy It Now 2h 30m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $12.55 Buy It Now 3h 44m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $28.03 Buy It Now 3h 44m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $20.96 Buy It Now 3h 44m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $16.76 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Blue - If You Come Back (4 Track CD Single 2001). Ex Cond USD $2.09 Buy It Now 4h
BILLIE HOLIDAY Vinyl Record Box Set (4): Ain't nobody's business if I do (1975) USD $14.95 [0 bids]
USD $19.95 Buy It Now
If Life Hands You A Lemon, Make A Gin & Tonic - Poster Art - A4 Size USD $7.36 Buy It Now 5h 6m
U2 set of 4 cd singles I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CRAZY x 4 EU USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Budgie - If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting Vinyl 12" Single 4 Track EP 1980 USD $28.03 Buy It Now 6h 7m
HUNDRED REASONS cd single no case IF I COULD used 4 TRACKS USD $3.86 Buy It Now 6h 59m
If - 4 (NEW CD) USD $15.76 Buy It Now 7h 6m
LEWIS, Huey; & NEWS (If This Is It) Chrysalis VS4 42803 = PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY!! USD $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 33m
PREFAB SPROUT - If You Don't Love Me (UK 4 Tk CD Single Pt 1) USD $9.10 Buy It Now 10h 31m
343 Flogging Molly - If I Ever Leave This World Alive - Song Lyric Print - A4 A3 USD $8.76 Buy It Now 10h 40m
343 Flogging Molly - If I Ever Leave This World Alive - Song Lyric Print - A4 A3 USD $15.07 Buy It Now 10h 40m
343 Flogging Molly - If I Ever Leave This World Alive - Song Lyric Print - A4 A3 USD $31.48 Buy It Now 10h 40m
TRINI LOPEZ, TRINI TRAX. LA BAMBA / AMERICA / LEMON TREE / IF I HAD A HAMMER + 4 USD $1.39 Buy It Now 10h 44m
4 MAKING DO: If I Only Had The $ / The Simple Life 45 Rock & Pop USD $65.00 Buy It Now 11h 19m
A-1 S.W.I.F.T. "The Real G" RARE PROMO ONLY MAXI CD 4 Mixes 1994 Random RAP USD $9.98 Buy It Now 11h 28m
INTRIGUE "If You've Ever Been in Love" RARE PROMO MAXI CD 4 Mixes USA 1996 R USD $6.98 Buy It Now 11h 32m
POGUES - SHANE MACGOWAN - IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD 4 TR EU USD $11.96 Buy It Now 12h 30m
JERRY NAYLOR If I Promise COLUMBIA PROMO 45-4-45212 UPTEMPO POP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 13h 3m
Andrew Brown - If We Try / You Ought To Be Ashamed VG 7" Vinyl 45 1965 4B446 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 13h 54m
Lonnie Gordon - If I Have to Stand Alone (2009 Specia... - Lonnie Gordon CD O4VG USD $26.77 Buy It Now 15h 21m
BILLIE HOLIDAY - AIN'T NOBODY'S BUSINESS IF I DO COLUMBIA 4-LP BOX SET USD $15.00 [0 bids]
4 CDs ANDREA MARCOVICCI If I Were a Bell RODGERS&HART Live From London JUST KERN USD $25.99 [0 bids]
18h
Steve Lawrence Go Away Little Girl If You Love Her Tell Her So 45 4-42601 Sleeve USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Kevin Puts: To Touch the Sky; If I Were a Swan; Symphony No. 4 "From Mission... USD $13.50 Buy It Now 19h 4m
Counting Crows - Europe CD promo / If I Could Give All My Love - CrowsCDP4 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 49m
JERRY FULLER 45- IF I HAD A MIND TO / GO~ COLUMBIA Promo 4-45209- VG+ USD $6.00 [0 bids]
WESTLIFE -IF I LET YOU GO 4 track CD USD $3.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Carl Smith Columbia Vinyl 45 RPM #4-20825 Mr. Moon/If Tear Drops Were Pennies USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BENZA_If_used CD_ships from AUS_zz4_L12f USD $9.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Taiwan 4-trks CD w/OBI SEALED! Whitney Houston George Michael If I Told You That USD $100.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PREFAB SPROUT -If You Don't Love Me CD1- 4 track CD Single USD $5.60 Buy It Now 1 day
BILLIE HOLIDAY: Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 4x LP Jazz BOX w/ Booklet USD $13.50 Buy It Now 1 day
IF the SHOE FITS (W.B.M.S. 126) (P) ('79) 2 by: Aztec Camera, Gang of 4, Juluka USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SHAI If I ever Fall in Love 4TRX w/ RARE EDITS & A RARE MIX USA CD single 1992 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEAL McCOY 4 CDs IF I WAS A DRINKIN MAN girls of summer PARTY ON Where forever USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEAL McCOY 4 CDs I WAS girls of summer NOW I PRAY FOR RAIN if you can't be good USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE IF SWALLOWED DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING vinyl EP/LP 4 TRACK BUDGE1 USD $21.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SANDIE SHAW How Can You Tell 7" VINYL UK Pye 1965 4 Prong Label Design B/W If USD $5.88 Buy It Now 1 day
PHIL COLLINS If Leaving Me Is Easy 7" VINYL UK Virgin 1981 4 Track (Vs423) Pic USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GRACE - If I Could Fly - 1996 UK 4-track 12" Vinyl Single USD $28.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Lawson & 4 More-Smart Bird / If You Want Me, You Can Find Me NEW USD $17.86 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO If You Leave Me Now 7" VINYL UK Cbs 1982 B/W 25 Or 6 To 4 (A2939) Pic USD $5.88 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE - IF YOU LOVE ME 4 TRACK PROMO CD USD $8.99 [0 bids]
[SOUL/FUNK/JAZZ]~EXC 12"~LA LA~(If You) Love Me Just A Little~{x4 Mixes/Remixes] USD $2.88 Buy It Now 1 day
The Raww Dealaz - R.A.W.W. Deal 4 L.I.F.E. [New CD] USD $20.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Elvis Presley - America the Beautiful CD EP 2001 RCA 4 tracks If I Can Dream D USD $3.93 [0 bids]
Music CD, MN8, If you only let me in, 4 Mixes USD $1.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Music CD, Jennifer Lopez, If you Had My Love, 4 Mixes USD $1.39 Buy It Now 1 day
TOPOL If I Were A Rich Man 4 track Promo CD Single USD $25.20 [0 bids]
[GOT7]4th mini album-Mad/If you do/Horizontal version/Bambam Photocard USD $21.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CARAVAN UK DECCA LP If I Could Do It All Over Again First 1st Pressing 2W 4W EX+ USD $200.51 Buy It Now 2 days
The Ink Spots If I Didn't Care (Bravo BR 306) 1964 1st UK Press 4 Track EP USD $8.40 Buy It Now 2 days
SHIRLEY BASSEY: If I Had A Needle And Thread / Tonight My Heart She Is Crying 4 USD $35.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LIGHTNING SEEDS - What If... (UK 4 Trk CD Single Pt 1) USD $4.61 Buy It Now 2 days
TECHEF - Infinity Collection /12" Frying Pan, Coated 4 times with the new Teflon USD $39.18 Buy It Now 2 days
Status Quo If You Can't Stand The Heat... LP. Buy 5 LPs 4 3.99 Post UK USD $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
THEAUDIENCE - If You Can't Do It When You're Young... (UK 4 Tk CD Single) USD $4.89 Buy It Now 2 days
Gil Ofarim Here I Am Taiwan 2-CD w/OBI+4 Video 1998 TALK TO YOU-IF YOU ONLY NEW USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Hanson If Only Taiwan CD Single w/sticker 2000 4-Track Look at you Live NEW USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kasey Chambers - If I Were You 4 Track CD Single USD $6.10 Buy It Now 2 days
THE S.O.S. BAND "IF YOU WANT MY LOVE" 4Z9 04161 (1983) * i combine shipping * USD $2.97 Buy It Now 2 days
MOCKERS:Don't Let Me Down-Don't You Know 4:36-Tequila-If You Want Me-US. Tyro EP USD $348.98 Buy It Now 2 days
MAMAS AND THE PAPAS IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES & EARS REEL TAPE 3 3/4 IPS USD $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
TONY BENNETT - Take The Moment / If I Ruled The World - 4-43220 - 45rpm USD $2.45 Buy It Now 2 days
JOHNNY MATHES - Broken Heart? / If We Only Have Love - 4-45470 - 45rpm USD $2.45 Buy It Now 2 days
JOAN BAEZ - LOT OF 4(6) RECORDS (I SHALL BE RELEASED, IF I KNEW, ANGELINE) USD $2.49 [0 bids]
BILLIE HOLIDAY Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 1975 CPS 4 LP Box Set w/Booklet USD $8.99 [0 bids]
USD $18.99 Buy It Now
SPILLER_Groovejet_if This Ain't Love_used CD-s_ships from AUS!_zz3_K4 USD $9.21 Buy It Now 2 days
Four Tops If I Were A Carpenter - 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK TMG647 USD $39.19 Buy It Now 3 days
LONNIE GORDON_If I Have To Stand Alone_used VINYL 12" inch_ships from AUS!_shM4R USD $23.02 Buy It Now 3 days
SNIFF 'N' THE TEARS Moment Of Weakness / If I Knew Then 4 USD $7.64 Buy It Now 3 days
TERRAPLANE IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES UK 12" P/S & POSTER TERRAQ4 EPIC 1986 ROCK USD $28.03 Buy It Now 3 days
JON SECADA - IF YOU GO - 4 TRACK UK CD SINGLE USD $2.79 Buy It Now 3 days
JEFFREY OSBORNE_If My Brother's In Trouble_used VINYL 12" single_zz27_shX4r USD $23.02 Buy It Now 3 days
New Age(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 3 days
T Texas Tyler 78 PROMO ON 4 Star TO PROVE MY LOVE IS TRUE / IF YOU HAD A HEART USD $19.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Folk(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 3 days
Folk(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Miscellaneous(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $2.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Miscellaneous(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 3 days
R&B(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Broadway & Vocalists(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 3 days
Rock(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 3 days
Christian(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $2.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Country(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"