IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
Vinyl$18.88 (used)
If 4 by If (2007-08-14)If 4 by If (2007-08-14)
Repertoire

IF - 4 CD NEW+ USD $14.64 Buy It Now
INCUBUS Light Grenandes PHOTO Print POSTER Band If Not Now, When? Fungus 003 USD $6.08 Buy It Now
INCUBUS If Not Now, When? 2011 World Tour PHOTO Print POSTER Fungus Amongus 004 USD $6.08 Buy It Now
Martika (Self titled) 1988 Coulmbia USA Toy Soldiers, If You're Tarzan S4 USD $5.50 Buy It Now
BACK 2 BACK IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 4TRK SINGLE CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now
SUGAR - If I Can't Change Your Mind - 1992 USA 4 TRACK CD USD $1.83 Buy It Now
RARE Promo Dance Pop 12" Tina Arena - If I Was a River (4 Mixes) Epic NM 1998 USD $25.00 Buy It Now
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me 12" VINYL UK Setanta 1995 4 Track In Die Cut USD $13.38 Buy It Now
KIM WILDE If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Mca 1993 4 Track Kelsey Mix B/W D USD $5.10 Buy It Now
AL B SURE If I'm Not Your Lover 12" VINYL UK Warner Bros 1988 4 Track 12" Remix USD $6.08 Buy It Now
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" VINYL Dutch Bmg 1994 4 Track Radio Edit USD $6.08 Buy It Now
GEORGE CLINTON If Anybody Gets Funked Up 12" VINYL UK Epic 1996 4 Track Album USD $9.55 Buy It Now
KIM WILDE If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Mca 1993 4 Track Kelsey Mix B/W Dub USD $6.08 Buy It Now
KIN KELLY If I Could Hear Your Voice 7" VINYL UK Gipsy 1980 With Folded A4 USD $3.82 Buy It Now
JOHN ROWLES If I Only Had Time 7" VINYL UK Mca 1968 4 Prong Centre Yellow/Red USD $6.08 Buy It Now
JANIE MARDEN Big Put On 7" VINYL UK Pye 1970 4 Prong Label Design B/W If You USD $19.79 Buy It Now
BRENDA LEE If This Is Our Last Time 7" VINYL UK Mca 1972 4 Prong Label Design USD $13.40 Buy It Now
BABYS If You've Got The Time 7" VINYL UK Chrysalis 1976 4 Track B/W Laura USD $9.55 Buy It Now
TOM ROBINSON BAND Rising Free 7" VINYL German Emi 1978 4 Track EP B/w Sing If USD $13.40 Buy It Now
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD - If You're Not The One (UK 4 Tk Enhanced CD Single) USD $5.22 Buy It Now
FISH MONKEY MAN If I've Told You Once 12" VINYL UK Warner 1991 4 Track B/W Air USD $6.08 Buy It Now
DODGY I Need Another 12" VINYL UK A&M 1993 4 Track Dj Promo B/W Never Again, If USD $3.82 Buy It Now
EUSEBE If Masser Says 12" VINYL UK Mamas Yard 1995 4 Track 7" Edit Remix By Bbg USD $2.55 Buy It Now
MOTHERS (90'S GROUP) Even If We Lose 12" VINYL UK Elektra 4 Track Promo (Sam712) USD $6.08 Buy It Now
MCALMONT Either 12" VINYL UK Hut 1994 4 Track B/w Edit, You Made Me And As If USD $3.82 Buy It Now
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number 12" VINYL UK 4 Track Test Pressing In USD $6.08 Buy It Now
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL US Warner Bros 1995 4 Track Promo (Proa7932) USD $3.82 Buy It Now
LUCIANA If You Want 12" VINYL UK Chrysalis 1994 4 Mixes With Delta Con Baixo USD $3.82 Buy It Now
MELI'SA MORGAN If You Can Do It I Can Too 12" VINYL US Capitol 1987 4 Track USD $5.10 Buy It Now
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" VINYL UK Tmrc 1991 4 Track White Label Brown Eyes USD $6.08 Buy It Now
TAMPERER FEATURING MAYA If You Buy This Record 12" VINYL UK Pepper 1998 4 Track USD $6.08 Buy It Now
DAVID CASSIDY If I Didn't Care 7" VINYL UK Bell 1974 4 Pronged Centre USD $5.10 Buy It Now
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" VINYL UK Pulse 8 1994 4 Track Band Of Gypsies USD $3.82 Buy It Now
DON JACK & THE DESIGN Back Chat 12" VINYL UK Private 1987 4 Track B/w If This USD $8.27 Buy It Now
OBSESSION (DANCE) If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Almighty 1993 4 Track USD $6.08 Buy It Now
ONLY IN THE DARK If You Truly Love Me 12" VINYL UK Profile 1990 4 Track Club USD $2.55 Buy It Now
JUNIOR DUNN If You Leave Me Now 12" VINYL Hardcore 4 Track B/W You Should Have USD $6.08 Buy It Now
ODYSSEY (DISCO GROUP) If You're Lookin For A Way Out 7" VINYL UK Rca 1980 4 USD $1.28 Buy It Now
J.J. If This Is Love 12" VINYL Dutch Cbs 1991 4 Track B/W Denim And Blue, If USD $3.82 Buy It Now
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" VINYL UK Cbs 1989 4 Track Remix B/W As USD $6.08 Buy It Now
LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" VINYL UK Epic 1986 4 Track B/W Instrumental, If USD $6.08 Buy It Now
TONY TONI TONE If I Had No Loot 12" VINYL UK Polydor 1993 4 Track Featuring USD $6.08 Buy It Now
Johnny Horton I'm ready if you're willing 45 RPM 7" record columbia 4-41502 EX USD $8.00 [0 bids]
USD $12.00 Buy It Now
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL UK Warner Bros 1995 4 Track Main Mix Promo USD $3.82 Buy It Now
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" VINYL UK Big Bang 1996 4 Track True Mix USD $6.08 Buy It Now
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" VINYL UK Virgin 4 Track B/w Hard Times, If You USD $6.08 Buy It Now
PATTONS If I Leave The World Behind 7" VINYL UK Garden 1981 4 Track B/W Going USD $2.55 Buy It Now
28IF Top Of The Pops 7" VINYL UK Diva 1991 B/W Instrumental (Diva4) USD $6.08 Buy It Now
VAL DOONICAN If The Whole World Stopped Lovin 7" VINYL UK Pye 1967 4 Pronged USD $2.55 Buy It Now
VAL DOONICAN If I Knew Then What I Know Now 7" VINYL UK Pye 1968 4 Prong Label USD $2.55 Buy It Now
CASHMAN AND WEST Songman 7" VINYL UK Probe 1972 Demo 4 Pronged Centre B/W If USD $6.08 Buy It Now
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" VINYL UK Woman's Own 4 Track EP Featuring If USD $6.08 Buy It Now
JOE DOLAN Make Me An Island 7" VINYL UK Pye 1969 4 Pronged Label Deisgn B/W If USD $3.82 Buy It Now
LARSEN B Marilyn 7" VINYL UK Try Harder 2008 4 Track B/W Year Of The Rat, If I USD $6.08 Buy It Now
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" VINYL UK Cbs 1963 4 Track EP Featuring If You Miss USD $6.08 Buy It Now
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" VINYL UK Cbs 1963 4 Track EP Featuring If You Miss Me USD $6.08 Buy It Now
K.D. LANG You're Ok CD UK Warner Bros 1996 4 Track B/w If I Were You Main Mi USD $3.82 Buy It Now
LEMONHEADS If I Could Talk I'd Tell You CD European Atlantic 1996 4 Track USD $3.82 Buy It Now
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD UK Epic 1995 4 Track LP Version Radio Edit USD $6.08 Buy It Now
MATT GOSS If You Were Here Tonight CD UK Polydor 1996 4 Track Pic Disc In Multi USD $3.82 Buy It Now
ALICE MARTINEAU If I Fall CD European Epic 2002 4 Track Radio Edit B/W Single USD $3.82 Buy It Now
MN8 If You Only Let Me In CD UK Columbia 1995 4 Track Featuring Radio Mix USD $3.82 Buy It Now
LUCIANA If You Want CD UK Chrysalis 1994 4 Track 7" Mix B/W Main Club Vocal USD $6.08 Buy It Now
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD UK Mercury 1997 4 Track Part 2 Limited USD $3.82 Buy It Now
GABRIELLE Forget About The World CD UK Go Beat 1996 4 Track Part 2 B/W If You USD $6.08 Buy It Now
JON SECADA If You Go CD UK Sbk 1994 4 Track B/W Spanish Version, Spanglish USD $3.82 Buy It Now
BLAMELESS Breathe CD UK China 1996 4 Track B/W What If, Tomorrow You Might Be USD $3.82 Buy It Now
MELANIE C If That Were Me CD European Virgin 2000 4 Track B/w Acoustic Version USD $5.10 Buy It Now
STREET REGAL Mary Jane CD UK Whitelight 2003 4 Track B/w If You Please, This USD $3.82 Buy It Now
EDDIE MURPHY If I Was King CD UK Tamla Motown 1993 4 Track Radio Edit Promo USD $6.08 Buy It Now
ONE INCH PUNCH If CD UK Hut 1997 4 Track B/W Invisible Pair Of Hands Remix USD $5.10 Buy It Now
MCALMONT Either CD UK Hut 1995 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w You Made Me, As If USD $6.08 Buy It Now
CHRIS BRAIDE If I Hadn't Got You CD UK Anxious 1997 4 Track Radio Mix B/W T USD $6.08 Buy It Now
GABRIELLE If You Really Cared CD UK Go Beat 1996 4 Track Radio Edit Yellow USD $3.82 Buy It Now
GOOD CHARLOTTE Anthem CD European Epic 2003 4 Track Part 1 B/W CD Rom Video, If USD $6.08 Buy It Now
BLUE (BOYBAND) If You Come Back CD European Innocent 2001 4 Track Radio Edit USD $5.10 Buy It Now
J.J. If This Is Love CD UK Cbs 1991 4 Track B/W Acoustic Version, Denim USD $6.08 Buy It Now
THEAUDIENCE If You Can't Do It When You're Young CD UK Mercury 1998 4 Track USD $6.08 Buy It Now
BARRY MANILOW If I Can Dream CD UK Arista 1990 4 Track B/w Keep Each Other USD $13.38 Buy It Now
DINA CARROLL Only Human CD UK Mercury 1996 4 Track (Dccd2) B/W Run To You, If I USD $5.10 Buy It Now
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number CD UK Telstar 1994 4 Track 100 Per Cent USD $6.08 Buy It Now
3RD STOREE If Ever CD European Elektra 4 Track So So Def Remix Without Rap With USD $6.08 Buy It Now
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me CD UK Setanta 1995 4 Track Radio Edit USD $6.08 Buy It Now
2 PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD European Jive 1997 4 Track Soulpower USD $6.08 Buy It Now
PETER COX If You Walk Away CD UK Chrysalis 1997 4 Track Cutfather And Joe Mix USD $5.10 Buy It Now
ROD STEWART If We Fall In Love Tonight CD German Warner Bros 1996 4 Track Edit USD $5.10 Buy It Now
U2 If God Will Send His Angels CD UK Island 1997 4 Track Single Version USD $6.08 Buy It Now
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD European Epic 1994 4 Track, LP Edit, R USD $2.55 Buy It Now
DUBSTAR Not So Manic Now CD UK Food 1995 4 Track Part 2 B/w If It Isn't You USD $3.82 Buy It Now
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD If You're Not The One CD UK Polydor 2002 4 Track Enhanced USD $5.10 Buy It Now
ATOMIC KITTEN If You Come To Me CD European Innocent 2003 4 Track B/W So Right USD $6.08 Buy It Now
FIRE ISLAND If You Should Need A Friend CD UK Junior Boy's Own 1995 4 Track USD $6.08 Buy It Now
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy CD UK A&M 1996 4 Track B/W On The Outside USD $6.08 Buy It Now
SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD Hooked On You CD UK Circa 1991 4 Track B/W Sit And Wait, If USD $6.08 Buy It Now
EAST 17 FEATURING GABRIELLE If You Ever CD UK London 1996 4 Track Smoove Mix 7" USD $2.55 Buy It Now
GENE Olympian CD UK Costermonger 1995 4 Track B/w I Can't Decide If She Really USD $6.08 Buy It Now
GOYA DRESS Bedroom Cinema EP CD UK Nude 1995 4 Track Featuring If I Know USD $5.10 Buy It Now
BENNET If You Met Me Then You'd Like Me CD UK Roadrunner 1996 4 Track B/w Oh USD $3.82 Buy It Now
FUZZ TOWNSHEND Hello Darlin CD UK Echo 1997 4 Track B/W Promix, If I Fell USD $3.82 Buy It Now
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy CD UK A&M 1996 4 Track Edit Version Digi Pack USD $3.82 Buy It Now

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"