IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
What Did I Say About TWhat Did I Say About T
Repertoire 2008
WaterfallWaterfall
Repertoire 2003
If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
ALL SAINTS If You Wanna Party 12" 4 Track Gyro Dysney Mix Promo UK Ztt 1995 USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 14m
ALTERNATIVE RADIO Save One Dream 12" 4 Track B/w Wishful Thinking,if You Play Wi USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 14m
BLOW MONKEYS Springtime For The World 12" 4 Track Ep B/w Other Side Of You, If Y USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 15m
DODGY I Need Another 12" 4 Track Dj Promo B/w Never Again,if I Fall And Hendre D USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 16m
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Said USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 16m
DON JACK & THE DESIGN Back Chat 12" 4 Track B/w If This Is Love, Please Don't An USD $32.21 Buy It Now 3h 16m
FISH MONKEY MAN If I've Told You Once 12" 4 Track B/w Air And Skin,crazies And A USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 16m
ERASURE Circus 12" 4 Track Featuring Live Versions Of Victim Of Love, If I Could USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 16m
ERASURE Circus Live 12" 4 Track Part 1 Featuring Victim Of Love,if I Could,circu USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 16m
FLATMATES Heaven Knows 12" 4 Track B/w Don't Say If, Turning You Blue And My Emp USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 17m
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" 4 Track Band Of Gypsies Mix B/w Judge Jules And USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 17m
EUSEBE If Masser Says 12" 4 Track 7" Edit Remix By Bbg B/w Full Version,five Per USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 17m
JJ If This Is Love 12" 4 Track B/w Denim And Blue,if This Is Love Acoustic Versi USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 17m
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" 4 Track White Label Brown Eyes Mix, Slow Sex Mix, G USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 17m
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" 4 Track Promo US Warner Bros 1995 USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 18m
JUNIOR DUNN If You Leave Me Now 12" 4 Track B/w You Should Have Told Me Featurin USD $21.52 Buy It Now 3h 18m
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" 4 Track Main Mix Promo B/w Junior's X Beat Mix,smoki USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 18m
LEMAR If There's Any Justice 12" 4 Track Promo Featuring Kardinal Beats Hip Hop USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 18m
LUCIANA If You Want 12" 4 Mixes With Delta Con Baixo Mix Pic Sleeve UK Chrysali USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 24m
MCALMONT Either 12" 4 Track B/w Edit,you Made Me And As If I'd Known Live Pic S USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 24m
MELI'SA MORGAN If You Can Do It I Can Too 12" 4 Track Extended Version B/w Radio USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 24m
OBSESSION If I Can't Have You 12" 4 Track Saturday Mix B/w Original Mix, Disco USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 25m
MOTHERS Even If We Lose 12" 4 Track Promo UK Elektra USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 25m
ONLY IN THE DARK If You Truly Love Me 12" 4 Track Club Kryptonite Mix UK Profil USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 25m
MOTION PICTURES If All Things Were Never Said 12" 4 Track B/w Blue Gun, She Is USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 25m
REAL PEOPLE Believer 12" 4 Track With Inner In Die Cut Cross Sleeve B/w If I'm USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 25m
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number 12" 4 Track Test Pressing In Title Sticker USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 25m
ROBYN HITCHCOCK AND THE EGYPTIANS If You Were A Priest 12" 4 Track B/w Tell Me A USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 25m
SHAI If I Ever Fall In Love 12" 4 Track Groove's Bedroom Mix B/w Grooves Radio E USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 26m
TONY TONI TONE If I Had No Loot 12" 4 Track Featuring Extended Version,jeep Mix, USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 26m
TOM JONES If I Only Knew 12" 4 Track Inner City Club Mix Promo B/w Inner City Ra USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 26m
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" 4 Track B/w Hard Times,if You Don't Want My Love An USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 26m
VAN MORRISON 4 New Tracks 12" 4 Track Promo Featuring Tore Down A La Rimbaud,if USD $16.28 Buy It Now 3h 27m
TAMPERER FEATURING MAYA If You Buy This Record 12" 4 Track UK Pepper 1998 USD $8.15 Buy It Now 3h 27m
FIELD MUSIC If Only The Moon Were Up CD 4 Track Promo In Special Card Sleeve B/w USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD If You're Not The One CD 4 Track Enhanced Disc B/w Metro Mix, USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
GENE Olympian CD 4 Track B/w I Can't Decide If She Really Loves Me, To See The L USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
GABRIELLE If You Really Cared CD 4 Track Radio Edit White Sleeve Design In Speci USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
FRANK AND WALTERS Happy Busman CD 4 Track B/w Humphrey, World Carries On And If USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
GABRIELLE If You Really Cared CD 4 Track Radio Edit Yellow Sleeve Design In Spec USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up CD 4 Track B/w If You're Happy,bean Phaidin And If Y USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
JENNY JONES Blue CD 4 Track In Card Envleope Sleeve Wih Inner B/w Compassion, If USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
GABRIELLE Forget About The World CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w If You Really Cared Acous USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
JON SECADA If You Go CD 4 Track B/w Spanish Version, Spanglish Version And Dance USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 9m
HUNDRED REASONS Silver CD 4 Track B/w Seems To Register Zero Punctual If Nothing USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
GOYA DRESS Bedroom Cinema Ep CD 4 Track Featuring If I Know, Strange Death, King USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
JJ If This Is Love CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic Version, Denim And Blue And Wedding D USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
GOOD CHARLOTTE Anthem CD 4 Track Part 1 B/w Cd Rom Video, If You Leave And Motiv USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
KING OF THE HILL If I Say CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic, Purple Haze Live And I D USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
KING BLUES Mr Music Man CD 4 Track Single Version B/w If Genghis Khan Then Why C USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
FUZZ TOWNSHEND Hello Darlin CD 4 Track B/w Ardmix, If I Fell, Instrumental UK F USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
FUZZ TOWNSHEND Hello Darlin CD 4 Track B/w Promix, If I Fell And Instrumental U USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
JAMIROQUAI Emergency On Planet Earth CD 4 Track B/w Extended Version, If I Like USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
LEMONHEADS If I Could Talk I'd Tell You CD 4 Track Part 1 Single Version B/w I D USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
LEMAR Someone Should Tell You CD 4 Track B/w Kardinal Beats Remix, If There's An USD $9.32 Buy It Now 5h 10m
K.D. LANG You're Ok CD 4 Track B/w If I Were You Main Mix, If I Were You Smokin USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
LEMONHEADS If I Could Talk I'd Tell You CD 4 Track Single Version B/w How Will I USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
K.D. LANG You're Ok CD 4 Track B/w If I Were You Main Mix, Smokin Lounge Mix And USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
LENNY KRAVITZ If You Can't Say No CD 4 Track Edit B/w Without You, Zero 7 Mix An USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
LIGHTNING SEEDS What If CD 4 Track Digi Pack B/w Leuroj's Slo N Easy Mix,never A USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 10m
AC/DC x4 Cassettes Dirty Deeds, Razors Edge, If You Want Blood, We Salute You USD $3.73 [3 bids]
AS IF- The Channel 4 TV Soundtrack 2-CD (2001) Coldplay/Fragma/Kylie Minogue USD $8.62 Buy It Now 5h 46m
STING When We Dance CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w If You Love Somebody Set Them USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 46m
STING If I Ever Lose My Faith In You CD 4 Track Part 1 Pic Disc B/w All This Tim USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 46m
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track Limited Digi Pack UK Creation 199 USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 46m
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track Or USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 46m
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track Promo UK Creation 1993 USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 47m
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track Pr USD $9.32 Buy It Now 5h 47m
STREET REGAL Mary Jane CD 4 Track B/w If You Please, This Life And She's Got Sou USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 47m
STING This Cowboy Song CD 4 Track Remix Featuring Pato Banton B/w If You Love So USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 47m
STYLO PHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track O USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 47m
STING Desert Rose CD 4 Track Radio Edit Featuring Cheb Mami B/w Cd Rom Video, If USD $8.40 Buy It Now 5h 47m
SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD Hooked On You CD 4 Track B/w Sit And Wait, If Only I Could And USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 47m
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track B/w Clownmaster, Anyone And Hoover USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 47m
THEAUDIENCE If You Can't Do It When You're Young CD 4 Track B/w There Are Worse USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 47m
THRILLS Whatever Happened To Corey Haim CD 4 Track Enhanced Disc B/w If I Wasn' USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 48m
THREE MUSKETEERS All For Love CD 4 Track B/w Straight Fro The Heart Live, If Onl USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 48m
U2 If God Will Send His Angels CD 4 Track Single Version B/w Slow Dancing, Two S USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 48m
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD 4 Track Part 2 Limited Edition With Post USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 48m
WILL YOUNG Don't Let Me Down CD 4 Track B/w You And I,if That's What You Want An USD $8.15 Buy It Now 5h 48m
TONY TONI TONE - If I Had No Loot (UK 4 Trk CD Single) USD $5.12 Buy It Now 7h 23m
BILLIE HOLIDAY Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 1975 CSP 4 LP Box Set JAZZ VOCAL USD $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 33m
ANDREW BROWN - IF WE TRY - 4 BROTHERS (NORTHERN SOUL - LISTEN)(45 RPM) USD $5.50 Buy It Now 7h 55m
BRTSH KNIGHTS 4 REMIX CD If I Was To / EL B / Hazed / Mono Poly 2013 Monopoly LB USD $12.45 [0 bids]
LUCIANA If You Want CD 4 Track 7" Mix B/w Main Club Vocal Mix, Delta Con Baixo M USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 10m
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next CD 4 Trac USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 10m
LOWGOLD Mercury CD 4 Track Radio Edit Promo B/w Mercury, Eddie Lejuene And If Pe USD $13.07 Buy It Now 8h 10m
MCALMONT Either CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w You Made Me, As If I'd Known USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 10m
MCALMONT Either CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w You Made Me, As If I'd Known A Liv USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 10m
MARK OWEN Four Minute Warning CD 4 Track B/w Cd Rom Video,live If You Try And Ja USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 10m
MATT GOSS If You Were Here Tonight CD 4 Track Pic Disc In Multi Fold Out Digi Pa USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 10m
MELANIE C If That Were Me CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic Version, Video And When You're USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 10m
NEEDLES We Got The Soul CD 4 Track B/w Hang On To Yourself,only If U Want Me 2 USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 10m
MOTHERS Love Lies And Loneliness Ep CD 4 Track Featuring Even If We Lose,shame USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 11m
MN8 If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Track Featuring Radio Mix,absolute 12" Mix,club M USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 11m
PETER COX If You Walk Away CD 4 Track Cutfather And Joe Mix Full Version B/w Fra USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 11m
ONE INCH PUNCH If CD 4 Track B/w Invisible Pair Of Hands Remix,justin Troublemak USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 11m
PAULINE HENRY If I Can't Have You CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Kupper Classic Radio USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 11m
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number CD 4 Track 100 Per Cent Radio Mix B/w Toon USD $8.15 Buy It Now 8h 11m
LP 2 ~ USD $19.73
CD if 2 ~ USD $14.50
CD if 3 ~ USD $14.50
CD if4 ~ USD $15.77

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132959) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#178943) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458878) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011

Post a review of IF "If 4"