IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
Crystal Waters,CD Single,4 mixes,Say If You Feel Alright USD $0.99 Buy It Now 5h
BANG BANG Hit & Launch 7" 4 Track In Picture Sleeve, Inc. I Don't Care If I'm Bl USD $11.06 Buy It Now 7h 54m
ARIZONA Dance If You Wanna Dance 7" 4 Pronged Label Design B/w Think About The USD $8.06 Buy It Now 7h 54m
BERNIE CLIFTON If 7" 4 Track Ep With Signed Label B/w Solitaire, Without You And USD $8.06 Buy It Now 7h 54m
ANITA WARD Ring My Bell 7" 4 Pronged Label Design B/w If I Could Feel That Old F USD $8.06 Buy It Now 7h 54m
BRIAN ELDEE S/t 7" 4 Track Featuring Hawaiian Wedding Song, Sweet Caroline, If A USD $8.06 Buy It Now 7h 54m
CASHMAN AND WEST Songman 7" Demo 4 Pronged Centre B/w If You Were A Rainbow UK USD $8.06 Buy It Now 7h 59m
DAVID CASSIDY If I Didn't Care 7" 4 Pronged Centre B/w Frozen Noses UK Bell 197 USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h
CHICAGO If You Leave Me Now 7" Original 4 Pronged Push Out Label Design UK Cbs USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h
EDDIE CANTOR Ma He's Makin' Eyes At Me 7" 4 Track Ep B/w If You Knew Susie, Ida USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 6m
HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUE NOTES If You Don't Know Me By Now 7" 4 Pronged Centre USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 8m
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Ruled The World, Th USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 8m
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Ruled The Worl USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 8m
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS If This Is It DOUBLE 7" 4 Track Double Pack Includes 2 L USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 9m
KIN KELLY If I Could Hear Your Voice 7" With Folded A4 Press Release B/w Dangero USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 11m
LARSEN B Marilyn 7" 4 Track B/w Year Of The Rat, If I Know You And Tailgate Pic USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 21m
LONE JUSTICE I Found Love DOUBLE 7" 4 Track Limited Double Pack B/w If You Don't USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MARDI GRAS Sing 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring C'mon Be Happy, If I Thought You'd Ever USD $27.44 Buy It Now 8h 23m
LEAH BELL If You're Looking For A Way Out 7" 4 Track B/w Miss You Nights And No USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 24m
ODYSSEY If You're Lookin For A Way Out 7" 4 Prong Label Design B/w Never Heard USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 28m
PAMELA ROSE Amazing Grace 7" 4 Track Ep B/w End Of The World, If You Want Me And USD $14.52 Buy It Now 8h 28m
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If You Miss Me At The Back O USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 29m
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If You Miss Me At The Back Of The USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 29m
PATTONS If I Leave The World Behind 7" 4 Track B/w Going Nowhere, Darling I Love USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 29m
ROGER WHITTAKER If I Were A Rich Man 7" 4 Track Ep B/w Jaluo Song, Mexican Whist USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 30m
STEPHEN WRIGHT Valentine Song 7" With Folded A4 Flyer B/w I'd Tell You If I Knew USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 32m
TAFFY If You Feel It 7" With A4 Phtotcopy-style Press Release B/w V.i.p. Releas USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 32m
TOM ROBINSON BAND Don't Take No For An Answer 7" 4 Track B/w Sing If You're Glad USD $20.98 Buy It Now 8h 36m
TOM ROBINSON BAND Don't Take No For An Answer 7" 4 Track Ep B/w Sing If You're G USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 36m
TRINI LOPEZ A-me-ri-ca 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Had A Hammer, Sinner Man USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 37m
VAL DOONICAN If The Whole World Stopped Lovin 7" 4 Pronged Blue Pye Label Design USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 38m
VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE Monsters And Angels 7" With A4 Press Release B/w Only If Yo USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 38m
WEST SIDE STORY Various 7" 4 Track Featuring Tonight, Maria, I Have Love And I F USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 38m
WHIRLWIND HEAT Reagan 7" 4 Track B/w Memory, Macho Man And I F*cked Up Reagan P USD $8.06 Buy It Now 8h 38m
Bonobo Nightlite Promo CD Single 3 Tracks Recurring If You Stayed Over + A4 PR USD $2.29 Buy It Now 10h 16m
EDWYN COLLINS--KEEP ON BURNING [4 TRACK CDS UK] LAVA LAMP, IF YOU COULS LOVE ME+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 49m
PAULINE HENRY - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU (4 track CD single) USD $3.00 Buy It Now 16h 31m
WIZ KHALIFA Blacc Hollywood PHOTO Print POSTER O.N.I.F.C Snoop Dogg 001 USD $6.52 Buy It Now 16h 41m
WIZ KHALIFA Blacc Hollywood PHOTO Print POSTER O.N.I.F.C Snoop Dogg 002 USD $7.68 Buy It Now 16h 41m
45 w/PS Steve Lawrence-Go Away Little Girl/If You Love Her Tell Her So 4-42601 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
4 NURSES GUIDING YOU NEW CD FIELDS OF GOLD, WIND BENEATH MY WINGS, IF YOU CAN + USD $4.23 Buy It Now 18h 22m
Hundred Reasons - If I Could - UK 4 Track Enh...CD Single 2002 USD $3.06 Buy It Now 19h 41m
Soul Promo 45 Donnie Elbert - That'S If You Love Me / That'S If You Love Me 7" 4 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 20h 12m
PRECIOUS DEATH If You Must 1994 CD OOP BUY 4=5TH 1 FREE USD $7.00 Buy It Now 20h 43m
Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time - Promo [PRO-CD-3602] 4 Rare Remixes 1989 USD $74.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy Keep On Growing The Book 1996 Germany 4-Tk CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KURTIS BLOW "IF I RULED THE WORLD" IN SHRINK NM/NM $4 SHIP+COMBINED USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Rappin 4 Tay If It Wasn't 4 U promo cd single 1tk rare! USD $6.99 [0 bids]
ODYSSEY 'IF YOU'RE LOOKIN' FOR A WAY OUT' UK 7" SINGLE #4 USD $1.52 Buy It Now 1 day
ELKIE BROOKS 4x7" DEMO SINGLES-ONLY LOVE,FOOL IF YOU THINK...etc USD $7.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Taffy : If you Feel It Record Mirror Advertisement 5x4 USD $6.15 Buy It Now 1 day
MIDGE URE 'IF I WAS' UK 7" SINGLE #4 USD $1.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Tatana Ft. Joanna (4) - If I Could 12" USD $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
SMOKEY 'IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME' UK 7" SINGLE #4 USD $1.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Sting "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" 1985 4-Track 12" Record Vinyl D5 USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LIGHTNING SEEDS What If Austrian 4-trk CD incl Slow & Easy mix p/s USD $14.60 Buy It Now 1 day
Sleeping With Sirens - If I'm James Dean - Song Lyric Art Poster - A4 Size USD $8.08 Buy It Now 1 day
IF [4/28] by Paul de Jong (CD, Apr-2015, Temporary Residence) USD $10.73 Buy It Now 1 day
HANSON IF ONLY 4TRACK SINGLE CD ENHANCED VIDEO Promo USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED 1990 ONLY in the DARK If You Truly Love Me 12" SINGLE 4 VERSIONS USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VARDIS all you'll ever need/if i were a king/jumping jack flash VAR4 7" PS EX/VG USD $13.09 Buy It Now 1 day
Primal Scream If They Move Kill 'Em 4 Trk Promo 1998, William Holden, Darklands USD $12.29 Buy It Now 1 day
AN1-Blink If You Want FOR 3D iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
AN2-Blink If You Want FOR 3D iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HANSON If Only 2000 EU CD Single 4-Track Look at you-live-This time USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Sheryl Crow If It Makes You Happy 4-Trk CDS (1996) "Keep On Growing" USD $6.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Second Sight - SECOND SIGHT - US Garcia Weir If 6 Were 4 Night Fires CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SILENCE 4 SILENCE BECOMES CD VGC 1998 WILL REDUCE PRICE IF CHEAPER ELSEWHERE! USD $8.38 Buy It Now 2 days
4 Bobby Darin 45's-Scripto Ep-Dream Lover-If I Were a Carpenter-I am USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Alexandre O'Neal : If You were Here Tonight Single Advert 11x4 USD $6.15 Buy It Now 2 days
MARC DORSEY If You Really Wanna Know CD SINGLE 4 trks USED *starcomed1 USD $2.32 Buy It Now 2 days
EZIO Deeper CD SINGLE Moonstruck Clowns If You Want 4 trks USED USD $2.32 Buy It Now 2 days
NANCY WILSON-IF I HAD MY WAY 4-VESION U.S PROMO DJ CD C23 # USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Teenage Doll & If You Can't Rock Me Ricky Nelson 4 Track EP45 Imperial IMP154 G USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Soul 45 LITTLE MILTON If That Ain't A Reason (For Your Woman To Leave You) on 4 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
PREFAB SPROUT - IF YOU DON'T LOVE ME - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $2.14 Buy It Now 2 days
Mama's And Papa's 4 lot If You Can Believe, Monterey, Cass - Dream, Doherty USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HUEY LEWIS and the NEWS-If This Is it-Change Of Heart 45 CHRYSALIS VS4 Mint 1983 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Freestyle Pop 12" Jaya w/ Stevie B - If You Leave Me Now (4 Versions ) LMR VG+ USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CHICAGO "IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW" CASSETTE 1982 SATURDAY IN THE PARK 25 OR 6 TO 4 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Rihanna - If It's Lovin That You Want 4 Track CD Single Incl Video USD $6.15 Buy It Now 2 days
NO 4.CD SINGLE..M&S PRESENTS.THE GIRL NEXT DOOR.SALSOUL NUGGET.IF U WANNA USD $11.57 Buy It Now 3 days
DANE COOK--HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED--24 TOPIC CD--4 TOPIC DVD USD $1.95 [0 bids]
USD $2.95 Buy It Now
CARAVAN If I Could Do It All Over Again LP Original First Press UK Decca 2W 4W USD $84.99 Buy It Now 3 days
M2 4 tracks cd single JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP WHAT IF I CAME KNOCKING USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 4LP Lot Come Over Totally Hot Mellow If You Love Me Orig VG++ USD $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LP 2
~ USD $12.74
CD if4
~ USD $13.85

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"