IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
Vinyl$18.83 (used)
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
If by IF (2014-05-04)If by IF (2014-05-04)
Imports

[GOT7]4th mini album-Mad/If you do/Horizontal version/JB Photocard USD $19.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
NAS - IF I RULED THE WORLD - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 50m
GORDON LIGHTFOOT If You Could Read My Mind 7" VINYL 4 Track Ep B/w Christian I USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Incubus - If Not Now, When - A4 Photo Print USD $3.76 Buy It Now 3h 11m
CHICAGO 18 cd GERMAN will you still love me 25 OR 6 TO 4 if she would faithful USD $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
LONDON GRAMMAR If you wait Album Signed CD COVER MOUNTED A4 Autograph Print (58) USD $10.04 Buy It Now 4h 36m
LONDON GRAMMAR If you wait Album Signed CD COVER MOUNTED A4 Autograph Print (58) USD $22.61 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Chris Robinson Brotherhood - If You Lived Here, You Would CD ALBUM NEW (4TH NOV) USD $15.07 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Chris Robinson Brotherhood - If You Lived Here, You Would VINYL LP NEW (4TH NOV) USD $27.64 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Julio Iglesias - If I Ever Needed You (4 Track 12" Vinyl) USD $6.91 Buy It Now 6h 25m
LONDON GRAMMAR If You Wait PHOTO Print POSTER Strong Hannah Reid Shirt CD 001 USD $6.27 Buy It Now 7h 16m
Like New U2 4 tracks CD single If God Will Send His Angels 1997 Island CANADIAN USD $3.80 Buy It Now 7h 21m
DAMAGE - SO WHAT IF I (4 TRK ENHANCED CD) (REF C6) USD $5.02 Buy It Now 8h 4m
EAST 17/GABRIELLE - IF YOU EVER (4 TRK CD) (REF C7) USD $5.02 Buy It Now 8h 5m
DODGY - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME (4 TRK CD) (REF C6) USD $5.02 Buy It Now 8h 6m
LENNY KRAVITZ - IF YOU CAN'T SAY NO (4 TRACK CD) (REF B2) USD $3.76 Buy It Now 8h 11m
LIGHTNING SEEDS - WHAT IF... (4 TRK LTD CD DIGIPACK) (REF C9) USD $5.02 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Daniel Bedingfield If You're Not the One 4 Track Maxi CD Single USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Sally Shapiro - If You Ever Wanna CHange Your Mind - 4 Track USD $5.02 Buy It Now 10h 12m
BLUE - If You Come Back (UK 4 Track Enhanced CD Single) USD $4.39 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Danielle Greenwood - If I Am Cruel 4 trk CD single USD $1.49 [0 bids]
Elvis Presley If Enery Day Was Like Christmas CD 2-4 USD $1.59 Buy It Now 12h 36m
PETER COX : If You Walk Away - Limited Edition 1997 UK 4-trk CD single, GO WEST USD $2.50 Buy It Now 13h 5m
RAYMOND LEFEVRE~SOUL COAXING~IF I WERE A CARPENTER~4 CORNERS~~ INSTRUMENTAL 45 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 41m
[EDM]~SEALED 12"~ONLY IN THE DARK~CARLOS 'AFTER' BERRIOS~If You Truly Love Me~x4 USD $5.97 Buy It Now 14h 24m
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Sa USD $3.14 [0 bids]
4 - If CD-JEWEL CASE USD $20.50 Buy It Now 17h 7m
SEALED, STING ~ IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY, SET THEM FREE ~ 4 TRACK 12" LP RECORD USD $4.99 [0 bids]
K.D. Lang - If I Were You - 1995 Sealed 4 Track US 12" USD $7.54 Buy It Now 1 day
GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS-4 7" SINGLES-THE NITTY GRITTY-IF I WERE YOU WOMAN-SOUL USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This... - Funky Art Print - A4 Size USD $7.54 Buy It Now 1 day
THE SHAKE UP_If You Have No Shame_used CD_ships from AUS_zz4_Y10 USD $8.94 Buy It Now 1 day
SUGAR - If I Can't Change Your Mind - 1992 USA 4 TRACK CD USD $1.89 Buy It Now 1 day
MELANIE C - IF THAT WERE ME (4 TRACK CD WITH VIDEO) (REF B4) USD $3.76 Buy It Now 1 day
SUGAR - IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MIND (4 TRK CD SINGLE) (REF D6) USD $5.02 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BLUETONES - IF (3 TRK CD SINGLE) (REF C4) USD $3.76 Buy It Now 1 day
WET WET WET - IF I NEVER SEE YOU... (CD2) (4 TRK CD SINGLE) (REF D7) USD $5.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Ronan Keating IF TOMORROW NEVER COMES Australian 4tr CD USD $2.49 Buy It Now 1 day
TONY TONI TONE - IF I HAD NO LOOT - 4 TRACK UK CD SINGLE USD $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Jack Jones - If you Ever Leave Me / Without Her Reel to Reel 3 3/4 IPS RCA USD $9.00 [0 bids]
Luciana - If You Want (CDs) 4 Tracks - Nr Mint - Fast Postage USD $3.26 Buy It Now 1 day
189 Barenaked Ladies - If I Had A Million Dollars - Song Lyric Print - A4 A3 USD $8.74 Buy It Now 1 day
189 Barenaked Ladies - If I Had A Million Dollars - Song Lyric Print - A4 A3 USD $15.02 Buy It Now 1 day
189 Barenaked Ladies - If I Had A Million Dollars - Song Lyric Print - A4 A3 USD $23.82 Buy It Now 1 day
J.J. If This Is Love (4 TRACK 12" VINYL) USD $3.71 Buy It Now 1 day
FREDDIE KING, IF - Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" USD $4.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Karen Ramirez ?- If We Try UK 4 Track Maxi CD Single USD $0.44 [0 bids]
PETER COX - If You Walk Away (UK 4 Trk CD Single Pt 1) USD $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
TOPOL If I Were A Rich Man 4 track Promo CD Single USD $22.59 [0 bids]
Collection of 5 Chicago 7" vinyl I'm a Man If You Leave Me Now 25 or 6 to 4 USD $2.50 [0 bids]
U2 IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS, CD 4 tracks Island USD $1.99 [0 bids]
Robert Plant If I Were A Carpenter 7" vinyl single record UK FATE4 FONTANA USD $16.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Billie Holiday - Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 4LP Box - Columbia - JAZZ - NM USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Coffee MUGS-12 different designs- REDUCED TO CLEAR-Don't look if easily offended USD $7.53 Buy It Now 2 days
ED KUEPPER - IF I HAD A TICKET -4 TRACK CD EP- USD $14.90 Buy It Now 2 days
MARC DORSEY_If You Really Wanna Know_used VINYL 12" inch_ships from AUS!_F4f USD $22.36 Buy It Now 2 days
LANEWAY_If You Don't Need It Let It Go_used CD_ships from AUS_zz4_Y11 USD $8.94 Buy It Now 2 days
DANIELLE GREENWOOD If I Am Cruel OZ CD 4 track EP 1998 Dan USD $7.41 Buy It Now 2 days
LOT 4 45s YVONNE ELLIMAN ORIGINAL JUKE STRIPS KEEP HANGIN IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU USD $7.55 Buy It Now 2 days
If 4 - If Compact Disc USD $20.63 Buy It Now 2 days
? FRANK TURNER If Ever I Stray ? song lyric poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $11.25 Buy It Now 2 days
? FRANK TURNER If Ever I Stray ? song lyric poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $25.13 Buy It Now 2 days
? FRANK TURNER If Ever I Stray ? song lyric poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $18.79 Buy It Now 2 days
? FRANK TURNER If Ever I Stray ? song lyric poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $15.02 Buy It Now 2 days
BRENDA LEE If This Is Our Last Time 7" VINYL 4 Prong Label Design B/w Everybod USD $13.20 Buy It Now 2 days
Beyonce,If I Was A Boy, Poster,Song Lyrics Typography,Art Print,A4 USD $4.96 Buy It Now 2 days
Michael Ball If I Can Dream 4 Track Extended Play Cassette Tape Single - TESTED USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Sole: 4,5,6 & Tamar Braxton: If You Don't Love Me Dual PROMO Music CD snippets! USD $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
2PAC - I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto (UK 4 Tk CD Single) USD $5.64 Buy It Now 2 days
MOTHERS IF INVENTION Freak Out LP Verve V6-50002 US 1966 VG++ 2XLP ORIG ISSUE 4B USD $39.98 Buy It Now 2 days
YANNI Lot of 4 CD's If I Could Tell You Live Acropolis In My Time Dare To Dream USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" VINYL 4 Track Radio Edit B/W Club Mix, Piano USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
AL B SURE If I'm Not Your Lover 12" VINYL 4 Track 12" Remix B/W LP Version, R USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
GEORGE CLINTON If Anybody Gets Funked Up 12" VINYL 4 Track Album Version Promo USD $9.85 Buy It Now 2 days
NSP AND DAVID CAMACHO FEATURING JON JUNIOR We Can Make It If We Try 12" VINYL 4 USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANK AND WALTERS Happy Busman CD 4 Track B/w Humphrey, World Carries On And If USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2 days
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy CD 4 Track B/W On The Outside, Keep On USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
LIGHTNING SEEDS What If CD 4 Track Digi Pack B/w Leuroj's Slo N Easy Mix, Never USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2 days
SUGAR (BOB MOULD'S GROUP) If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track Part 1 B/W Love Is Back, If You USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2 days
SUGAR (BOB MOULD'S GROUP) If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track Limited Digi USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2 days
GENE Olympian CD 4 Track B/w I Can't Decide If She Really Loves Me, To See The USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
ELTON JOHN If The River Can Bend CD 4 Track Edit B/w Don't Let The Sun Go Down USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY KRAVITZ If You Can't Say No CD 4 Track Edit B/w Without You, Zero 7 Mix USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2 days
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy CD 4 Track Edit Version Digi Pack With USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2 days
EAST 17 FEATURING GABRIELLE If You Ever CD 4 Track Smoove Mix 7" Version USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
PAULINE HENRY If I Can't Have You CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/W Kupper Classic USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
CELINE DION Think Twice CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/W Le Monde Est St USD $2.64 Buy It Now 2 days
LEMONHEADS If I Could Talk I'd Tell You CD 4 Track Part 1 Single Version B/w I USD $5.27 Buy It Now 2 days
K.D. LANG You're Ok CD 4 Track B/w If I Were You Main Mix, If I Were You Smokin USD $5.28 Buy It Now 2 days
VANESSA WILLIAMS Where Do We Go From Here CD 4 Track B/W Erase, If I Had Wings USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
CELINE DION Call The Man CD 4 Track Radio Edit Green Sleeve B/W Medley, If We USD $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
THREE MUSKETEERS All For Love CD 4 Track B/W Straight Fro The Heart Live, If USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2 days
STING This Cowboy Song CD 4 Track Remix Featuring Pato Banton B/W If You Love USD $2.64 Buy It Now 2 days
EDWYN COLLINS Keep On Burning CD 4 Track Part 2 B/W If You Could Love Me In USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
GOYA DRESS Bedroom Cinema EP CD 4 Track Featuring If I Know, Strange Death USD $5.27 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"