IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus By IF (0001-01-01)If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus By IF (0001-01-01)
N/A
If 4 By If (2007-07-23)If 4 By If (2007-07-23)
Repertoire
Old 45 RPM Record - Columbia 4-42601 - Steve Lawrence - Go Away Little Girl / If USD $2.00 [0 bids]
HOWARD HEWETT ULTRA RARE US R&B REMIX PROMO CD If I Only Could 4TRX QUIET STORM USD $19.99 [1 bids]
Urs Faes: As If The Silence Of Doors - 4 DISC SET - Various Art (2013, SACD New) USD $25.19 Buy It Now 6h 58m
STING If You Love Somebody set them free 4track 12" USD $12.23 Buy It Now 9h 21m
GIL OFARIM MOFFATTS Talk To You Taiwan Promo CD+4 Video If You Only Knew USD $16.99 Buy It Now 13h 54m
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy Keep On Growing The Book 1996 Germany 4-Tk CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 8m
BIG 4.1968..SIMON SAYS/ IF YOU GO AWAY/ ELVIRA MADIGAN/ WHAT HAVE THEY DONE ... USD $3.99 Buy It Now 14h 32m
IF FOUR/IF 4/ECP-80534/JAPAN RED WAX LP! USD $14.50 [1 bids]
Aretha & 4 Tops 45 w/PS If Ever A Love There USD $6.75 Buy It Now 15h 47m
GIBSON BROS QUE SERA MI VIDA [ IF YOU SHOULD GO] HEAVEN VINYL 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $6.87 Buy It Now 17h 46m
PJ & Duncan Ant & Dec If I Give You My Number CDSTAS2732 4 track Promo CD USD $4.42 [0 bids]
GROOVE ARMADA - IF EVERYBODY LOOKED THE SAME 4 track CD USD $3.47 Buy It Now 1 day
SUZI QUATRO_If You Can't Give Me Love_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_H4b USD $8.41 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID CASSIDY if i didn't care JAPAN 7" BLPB-231 ab4 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DEAN GEYER_If You Don't Mean It_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_B4 USD $7.01 Buy It Now 1 day
Sting, Vinyl Record, 12 Inch 4 Track, If You Love Somebody, NM USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Elaine Paige - Hymne a L'amour (If You Love Me) 4 Tracks - Mint - Fast Postage USD $7.63 Buy It Now 1 day
If That's the Way You Want It 4 Track Cd Single Cutting Crew USD $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MARCOS HERNANDEZ - IF YOU WERE MINE 4-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS219 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Michael McDonald lot of 4 No Lookin' Back, If That's What, Doobie II, 12" All We USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Ruled The World: Songs For The Jet Set - Tony Bennett 4 (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.96 Buy It Now 1 day
BILLIE HOLIDAY: Aint Nobody's Business If I Do. 4 LP Box w/Book. NM Vinyl USD $26.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Doggys Angels Baby If Your Ready 12 Inch Single Vinyl Record Snoop Dogg Toi 4 Tk USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW/TOGETHER AGAIN 7" SINGLE 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $5.81 Buy It Now 1 day
The Rolling Stones Got Live If You Want It ! JAPAN 33 EP 17M-101 $4 Shipping USD $66.99 [0 bids]
USD $87.99 Buy It Now
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $30.57 Buy It Now 2 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $22.86 Buy It Now 2 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $18.27 Buy It Now 2 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $13.69 Buy It Now 2 days
If - 4 (NEW CD) USD $14.89 Buy It Now 2 days
PREFAB SPROUT - If You Don't Love Me (UK 4 Tk CD Single Pt 1) USD $9.92 Buy It Now 2 days
LEMAR - IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $3.04 Buy It Now 2 days
SFS-I DONT EVEN KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL YOU BABY-4 TRACK-CD SINGLE USD $4.57 Buy It Now 2 days
JERRY NAYLOR If I Promise COLUMBIA PROMO 45-4-45212 UPTEMPO POP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
AS IF- The Channel 4 TV Soundtrack 2-CD (2001) Coldplay/Fragma/Kylie Minogue USD $4.54 Buy It Now 2 days
U2: IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS [4 TRACK CD SINGLE] (Sunday Bloody Sunday-Live) USD $8.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Billie Holiday Ain't Nobody's Busines If I Do 4 Album Set P412969 USD $35.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Ronan Keating If Tomorrow Never Comes Diff Cover Thai 4 Tracks Single CD Seal USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy Keep On Growing The Book 1996 Germany 4-Tk CD USD $1.99 [0 bids]
DANE COOK--HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED--24 TOPIC CD--4 TOPIC DVD USD $1.95 [0 bids]
USD $2.95 Buy It Now
Brian Jonestown Massacre If Love Is The Drug Then I Want To OD 4 Track CD (M) USD $10.69 Buy It Now 2 days
Pugwash Play This Intimately (As If Among Friends) CD ALBUM NEW/MINT (4TH SEPT) USD $17.57 Buy It Now 2 days
Kasey Chambers - If I Were You 4 Track CD Single USD $5.57 Buy It Now 2 days
MINDY McCREADY very rare WHAT IF I DO 1997 4 track CD single radio attitude mix USD $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
IF the SHOE FITS (W.B.M.S. 126) (P) ('79) 2 by: Aztec Camera, Gang of 4, Juluka USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE S.O.S. BAND "IF YOU WANT MY LOVE" 4Z9 04161 (1983) * i combine shipping * USD $3.97 Buy It Now 3 days
MAYTE/PRINCE - IF I LOVE YOU TONIGHT (THE REMIXES) (RARE 4 TRACK UK CD) USD $12.04 [0 bids]
USED 4) COMPACT DISKS CARPENTERS, LOVE SONGS, IF I WERE A CARPENTER THEIR MUSIC USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind - Song Lyric Art Poster - A4 Size USD $8.03 Buy It Now 3 days
LOT OF 4 UK 45s by KEN DODD inc STILL,IF MY HEART,VIOLIN,ONCE IN EVERY TIME. USD $4.59 Buy It Now 3 days
CHICAGO If You Leave Me Now 7" Original 4 Pronged Push Out Label Design UK Cbs USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
CASHMAN AND WEST Songman 7" Demo 4 Pronged Centre B/w If You Were A Rainbow UK USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID CASSIDY If I Didn't Care 7" 4 Pronged Centre B/w Frozen Noses UK Bell 197 USD $7.17 Buy It Now 3 days
BANG BANG Hit & Launch 7" 4 Track In Picture Sleeve, Inc. I Don't Care If I'm Bl USD $11.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BERNIE CLIFTON If 7" 4 Track Ep With Signed Label B/w Solitaire, Without You And USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
ANITA WARD Ring My Bell 7" 4 Pronged Label Design B/w If I Could Feel That Old F USD $3.98 Buy It Now 3 days
BRIAN ELDEE S/t 7" 4 Track Featuring Hawaiian Wedding Song, Sweet Caroline, If A USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Ruled The Worl USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Ruled The World, Th USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUE NOTES If You Don't Know Me By Now 7" 4 Pronged Centre USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS If This Is It DOUBLE 7" 4 Track Double Pack Includes 2 L USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
KIN KELLY If I Could Hear Your Voice 7" With Folded A4 Press Release B/w Dangero USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
LEAH BELL If You're Looking For A Way Out 7" 4 Track B/w Miss You Nights And No USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
LARSEN B Marilyn 7" 4 Track B/w Year Of The Rat, If I Know You And Tailgate Pic USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
ODYSSEY If You're Lookin For A Way Out 7" 4 Prong Label Design B/w Never Heard USD $2.37 Buy It Now 3 days
MARDI GRAS Sing 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring C'mon Be Happy, If I Thought You'd Ever USD $22.46 Buy It Now 3 days
LONE JUSTICE I Found Love DOUBLE 7" 4 Track Limited Double Pack B/w If You Don't USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
PAMELA ROSE Amazing Grace 7" 4 Track Ep B/w End Of The World, If You Want Me And USD $11.22 Buy It Now 3 days
PATTONS If I Leave The World Behind 7" 4 Track B/w Going Nowhere, Darling I Love USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If You Miss Me At The Back O USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If You Miss Me At The Back Of The USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
ROGER WHITTAKER If I Were A Rich Man 7" 4 Track Ep B/w Jaluo Song, Mexican Whist USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE Monsters And Angels 7" With A4 Press Release B/w Only If Yo USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
WEST SIDE STORY Various 7" 4 Track Featuring Tonight, Maria, I Have Love And I F USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
TRINI LOPEZ A-me-ri-ca 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Had A Hammer, Sinner Man USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
VAL DOONICAN If The Whole World Stopped Lovin 7" 4 Pronged Blue Pye Label Design USD $3.96 Buy It Now 3 days
TOM ROBINSON BAND Don't Take No For An Answer 7" 4 Track Ep B/w Sing If You're G USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
STEPHEN WRIGHT Valentine Song 7" With Folded A4 Flyer B/w I'd Tell You If I Knew USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
TOM ROBINSON BAND Don't Take No For An Answer 7" 4 Track B/w Sing If You're Glad USD $17.65 Buy It Now 3 days
2 PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD 4 Track Soulpower Hip Hop Radio Mix B/w USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
3RD STOREE If Ever CD 4 Track So So Def Remix Without Rap With Info Stickered Ca USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
A1 Summertime Of Our Lives CD 4 Track B/w Metro Club Mix, If You Were My Girl An USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
ALICE MARTINEAU If I Fall CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Single Version, Standard Ver USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
BROWNSTONE 5 Miles To Empty CD 4 Track B/w Cut Clever Mix, If You Love Me And Gr USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
BALLROOM Take It CD 4 Track B/w Edit, Her Sweet Saliva And If I UK Mother 1997 USD $7.17 Buy It Now 3 days
BENNET If You Met Me Then You'd Like Me CD 4 Track B/w Oh Yeah, Back To Back At USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
CHRIS BRAIDE If I Hadn't Got You CD 4 Track Radio Mix B/w T Empo Master Club Mix USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
ATOMIC KITTEN If You Come To Me CD 4 Track B/w So Right, Feels So Good And Feels USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
CELINE DION Call The Man CD 4 Track Radio Edit Green Sleeve B/w Medley, If We Co USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
BLAMELESS Breathe CD 4 Track B/w What If, Tomorrow You Might Be Dead And Town Cl USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
CELINE DION Think Twice CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Le Monde Est Stone, If Love Is USD $3.98 Buy It Now 3 days
BARE JR Brainwasher CD 4 Track Promo In Card Sleeve Featuring Brainwasher, If Yo USD $11.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track Lp Version Radio Edit B/w Soft Touch Mix Ra USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track, Lp Edit, R&b Mix, Uno Clio Pure Bliss Dub USD $3.96 Buy It Now 3 days
BLUE If You Come Back CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Cd Rom Video, Jam Street Mix An USD $7.17 Buy It Now 3 days
CUTTING CREW If That's The Way You Want It CD 4 Track B/w No Bad Thing, Been In USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track B/w Love Is Back, If You Feel Like USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track Part 1 B/w Love Is Back, If You Fe USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days
DODGY If You're Thinking Of Me CD 4 Track UK A&m 1996 USD $7.19 Buy It Now 3 days
DREAM CITY FILM CLUB If I Die I Die CD 4 Track B/w Pissboy, When I Sleep And Tee USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"