IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

SIMPLY RED - IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW CD SINGLE USA 4 TRACK USD $162.84 Buy It Now 1h 38m
If That's the Way You Want It 4 Track Cd Single USD $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 42m
BANG BANG Hit & Launch 7" 4 Track In Picture Sleeve, Inc. I Don't Care If I'm Bl USD $10.21 Buy It Now 2h 17m
28IF Top Of The Pops 7" B/w Instrumental (diva4) UK Diva 1991 USD $6.63 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Leon Haywood: If you're lookin for / That's what time it 12" vinyl record 4Q USD $1.00 Buy It Now 2h 25m
KIN KELLY If I Could Hear Your Voice 7" With Folded A4 Press Release B/w Dangero USD $4.17 Buy It Now 2h 46m
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If You Miss Me At The Back Of The USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 31m
DAVID CASSIDY If I Didn't Care 7" 4 Pronged Centre B/w Frozen Noses (bell1350) U USD $5.56 Buy It Now 3h 31m
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Ruled The World, Th USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 31m
JOE DOLAN Make Me An Island 7" 4 Pronged Label Deisgn B/w If You Care A Little B USD $4.17 Buy It Now 3h 31m
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Ruled The World USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 31m
JOHN ROWLES If I Only Had Time 7" 4 Prong Centre Yellow/red Label B/w Now Is The USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 31m
ODYSSEY (DISCO GROUP) If You're Lookin For A Way Out 7" 4 Prong Label Design B/w USD $1.39 Buy It Now 3h 31m
CAROUSEL S/t 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring Carousel Waltz, You'll Never Walk Alone, If USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 31m
HUGH MASEKELA If You Don't Know Me By Now 7" With Press Release B/w Hold On (pb4 USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 32m
WHIRLWIND HEAT Reagan 7" 4 Track B/w Memory, Macho Man And I F*cked Up Reagan (b USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 32m
VAL DOONICAN If The Whole World Stopped Lovin 7" 4 Pronged Blue Pye Label Design USD $2.77 Buy It Now 3h 32m
JIMMY JAMES If You Think That Funk Is Junk You're Drunk 7" B/w Let's Go Disco (4 USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 32m
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If You Miss Me At The Back Of USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 32m
LARSEN B Marilyn 7" 4 Track B/w Year Of The Rat, If I Know You And Tailgate (wor USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 32m
VAL DOONICAN If I Knew Then What I Know Now 7" 4 Prong Label Design B/w A Little USD $2.77 Buy It Now 3h 32m
CASHMAN AND WEST Songman 7" Demo 4 Pronged Centre B/w If You Were A Rainbow (pro USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 32m
TOM ROBINSON BAND Don't Take No For An Answer 7" 4 Track Ep B/w Sing If You're G USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 32m
PAMELA ROSE Amazing Grace 7" 4 Track Ep B/w End Of The World, If You Want Me And USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 33m
TOM ROBINSON BAND Don't Take No For An Answer 7" 4 Track B/w Sing If You're Glad USD $10.41 Buy It Now 3h 33m
MARDI GRAS Sing 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring C'mon Be Happy, If I Thought You'd Ever USD $11.80 Buy It Now 3h 33m
WEST SIDE STORY Various 7" 4 Track Featuring Tonight, Maria, I Have Love And I F USD $4.17 Buy It Now 3h 35m
JIMMY RUFFIN Farewell Is A Lonely Sound 7" 4 Prong Label Design B/w If You Will USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 35m
VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE Monsters And Angels 7" With A4 Press Release B/w Only If Yo USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Crystal Waters Say if you feel alright NBA at 50 4 mix 1997 CD single USD $1.31 Buy It Now 3h 35m
STEPHEN WRIGHT Valentine Song 7" With Folded A4 Flyer B/w I'd Tell You If I Knew USD $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 35m
HALO JAMES Magic Hour 7" B/w If Tomorrow Ever Comes Around (halo4) Sticker On Pi USD $2.77 Buy It Now 3h 35m
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS If This Is It DOUBLE 7" 4 Track Double Pack Includes 2 L USD $4.17 Buy It Now 3h 35m
CYRIL DAGWORTH PLAYERS I'll Come If You Want Me 7" B/w The Dagworth Shuffle (7n4 USD $4.17 Buy It Now 3h 36m
PATTONS If I Leave The World Behind 7" 4 Track B/w Going Nowhere, Darling I Love USD $2.77 Buy It Now 3h 36m
BRIAN ELDEE S/t 7" 4 Track Featuring Hawaiian Wedding Song, Sweet Caroline, If A USD $4.17 Buy It Now 3h 36m
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $9.23 Buy It Now 3h 59m
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $15.87 Buy It Now 3h 59m
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $25.16 Buy It Now 3h 59m
DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only Remember My Name 2005 4xLP 45 RPM SSided SEALED! USD $425.00 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Wet wet wet If I never see you again 4 track 1997 CD single USD $1.31 Buy It Now 4h 20m
CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW/TOGETHER AGAIN 7" SINGLE 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $5.24 Buy It Now 6h 29m
SEALED 12"~LEON HAYWOOD~That's What Time It Is~[4:05]~If You're Lookin For~[5:29 USD $3.97 Buy It Now 9h 16m
DODGY, IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME, EX/EX, 4 Track, CD Album, Picture Sleeve, A USD $1.31 [0 bids]
BRITNEY SPEARS_IF U Seek Amy_used cd-s_ships from AUS!__F4 USD $152.01 Buy It Now 18h 23m
SHERYL CROW lot 4x CD if it makes you happy TUESDAY NIGHT MUSIC CLUB debut GLOBE USD $15.99 Buy It Now 19h 19m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $11.88 Buy It Now 19h 37m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $26.54 Buy It Now 19h 37m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $19.85 Buy It Now 19h 37m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $15.87 Buy It Now 19h 37m
If Life Hands You A Lemon, Make A Gin & Tonic - Poster Art - A4 Size USD $6.97 Buy It Now 20h 59m
4/5/91PN60 ADVERT: SFS I DONT EVEN KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL YOU BABY 3X11 USD $6.63 Buy It Now 21h 42m
If - 4 (NEW CD) USD $12.93 Buy It Now 22h 59m
Wet Wet Wet If I Never See You Again 4 Trk CD Single USD $2.64 Buy It Now 1 day
CHER if I could turn back time 4TRX w/RARE REMIX & MIXES PROMO DJ CD single 1989 USD $24.99 [0 bids]
Billie Holiday Aint Nobody's Buisiness If I Do 4 LP set WITH BOOK! vinyl vg USD $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
HYBRID 4 CDS WIDE ANGLE IF I SURVIVE GOLDEN GIRLS KINETIC WAY OUT WEST USD $1.31 [0 bids]
If - If 4 [CD New] USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
4 tracks cd single THE AUDIENCE IF YOU CAN'T DO IT WHEN YOU'RE YOUNG WHEN CAN YO USD $20.70 Buy It Now 1 day
4 Piece April Wine - If You See Kay 45 RPM PROMO Lot USD $0.99 [0 bids]
4 CD's Rod Stewart - Human, Stardust, Unplugged, If we fall in love tonight USD $6.99 [0 bids]
PREFAB SPROUT - If You Don't Love Me (UK 4 Tk CD Single Pt 1) USD $8.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Terraplane If That's What it Takes Epic Terra 4 1986 USD $1.31 [0 bids]
4 MAKING DO: If I Only Had The $ / The Simple Life 45 rare Rock USD $65.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Bryan Gilbert Group If You Know The Lord XPR 3009 4 track EP 7" Vinyl Single 45 USD $14.83 [0 bids]
JERRY NAYLOR If I Promise COLUMBIA PROMO 45-4-45212 UPTEMPO POP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Sugar - If I Can't Change Your Mind 4-track cd single USD $3.97 [0 bids]
Huey Lewis And The News If This Is It 1983 VS4 42803 45 + PS USD $1.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Unknown Artist If You Leave Me Now4t CD USD $6.06 Buy It Now 1 day
U2: IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS [4 TRACK CD SINGLE] (Sunday Bloody Sunday-Live) USD $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Ronan Keating If Tomorrow Never Comes Diff Cover Thai 4 Tracks Single CD Seal USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
If-If 4 CD NEW USD $15.23 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE Like New U2 4 tracks CD single If God Will Send His Angels 1997 Island CANA USD $11.50 [0 bids]
If IF 4 CD UK 4009910118429 Repertoire Records (UK) Ltd new USD $14.37 [0 bids]
Leon Everette 4 lp lot Doin What I Feel,If I Keep On Going Crazy,Hurricane USD $14.99 [0 bids]
NOA IF I GIVE YOU EVERYTHING 4 TRACK EP IMPORT CD USD $3.88 [0 bids]
USD $7.00 Buy It Now
LINCOLN CHASE 4 MOST MAR MATHEWS WATCH MY SMOKE // IF I WERE A COUNTRYSIDE DAWN USD $1.99 [0 bids]
[RAP]~NM 12"~ABYSS~Catch 22 (Damn If You Do Dam If You Don't)~[x4 Mixes]~[2002] USD $2.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Nice Billie Holiday - Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do - NM Vinyl - 4 LPs USD $20.00 [0 bids]
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND 4 TR EU CDSINGLE VERY RARE USD $23.96 Buy It Now 1 day
The Audience 1998 The Audience - If You Can't Do It When Your Young... 4 Track USD $6.63 Buy It Now 1 day
PAULINE HENRY - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU - 4 MIX UK CD SINGLE USD $2.64 Buy It Now 1 day
FIRE ISLAND If You Should Need A Friend CD 4 Track Fire Island 7" Edit B/w Sound USD $6.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Odyssey If You're Lookin' For A Way Out - 4-Prong UK 7" vinyl single record USD $14.54 Buy It Now 1 day
4 songs by Mark Lindsay Something Big, If You Could Read my Mind + Asia USD $7.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Amen Corner (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice - 4 Prong 7" vinyl single record UK USD $17.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Olivia Newton John If Not For You - 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK 7N.25543 PYE USD $14.54 Buy It Now 1 day
If That's What It Takes Terraplane 7" vinyl single record UK TERRA4 EPIC 1987 USD $13.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Old 45 RPM Record - Columbia 4-40300 - Doris Day - Anyone Can Fall in Love / If USD $1.49 Buy It Now 1 day
IF the SHOE FITS (W.B.M.S. 126) (P) ('79) 2 by: Aztec Camera, Gang of 4, Juluka USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEAL McCOY 4 CDs IF I WAS A DRINKIN MAN girls of summer PARTY ON Where forever USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE S.O.S. BAND "IF YOU WANT MY LOVE" 4Z9 04161 (1983) * i combine shipping * USD $3.97 Buy It Now 2 days
hOT TRACKS~SERIES 5~ISSUE 4~ALEEM~l.i.f.e. one record only rare remix 12" USD $13.00 [0 bids]
USD $22.22 Buy It Now
NEAL McCOY 4 CDs I WAS girls of summer NOW I PRAY FOR RAIN if you can't be good USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
T Texas Tyler 78 PROMO ON 4 Star TO PROVE MY LOVE IS TRUE / IF YOU HAD A HEART USD $9.99 [0 bids]
USD $18.50 Buy It Now
ANGIE MARTINEZ - IF I COULD GO RARE HTF 4TRK R&B SINGLE PROMO USD $1.99 [0 bids]
Lawson & 4 More-Smart Bird / If You Want Me, You Can Find Me NEW USD $21.60 Buy It Now 2 days
RAPPIN 4 TAY IF IT WASNT 4 U LIQ120871 LP Et2142 USD $0.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"

Other sites in the MAC network: JazzMusicArchives.com — jazz music reviews and archives | MetalMusicArchives.com — metal music revuew and archives