IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
AN1-Blink If You Want Me FOR 3D iphone 4 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
AN2-Blink If You Want Me FOR 3D iphone 4 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Modern Soul TYMES If You Love Me Baby COLUMBIA PROMO 45-4-44917 w/ Find My Way USD $13.00 Buy It Now 4h 37m
PREFAB SPROUT If You Don't Love Me CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w AUSTRIAN Kitchenware 1 USD $8.05 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Incubus - If Not Now, When. Signed A4 Promo Print USD $4.60 Buy It Now 13h
DEZZI D. You Can Get It If You Really Want 12" 4 Tracks, Shaun Imrei Mix/Edit/O USD $13.82 Buy It Now 13h 49m
4x BANGLES 12"s Manic Monday If She Knew Going Liverpool Walk Like An Egyptian USD $11.51 Buy It Now 13h 51m
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" Ps, 4 Tracks Inc Slow Sex/Go Go City/Master Mixes USD $13.82 Buy It Now 14h 14m
ONE INCH PUNCH If 12" Ps, 4 Tracks, Orig/Invisible Pair Of Hands Remix/Justin T USD $13.82 Buy It Now 14h 44m
POGUES If I Should Fall From Grace With God 12" Ps, 4 Tracks, If I Should Fall USD $15.36 Buy It Now 14h 49m
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" Ps, 4 Tracks Inc Hard Times/If You Don'T Want My L USD $13.82 Buy It Now 15h 16m
MELANIE C IF THAT WERE ME CD SINGLE 4 TRACKS INCLUDING VIDEO TRACK (SPICE GIRLS) USD $7.69 Buy It Now 15h 53m
MATT GOSS IF YOU WERE HERE TONIGHT CD SINGLE 4 TRACK PIC CD (BROS) UK USD $9.22 Buy It Now 15h 59m
POGUES IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE.. CD SINGLE 4 TRACK SWITZERLAND USD $38.43 Buy It Now 16h 22m
CUTTING CREW IF THAT'S THE WAY YOU WANT IT CD SINGLE 4 TRACK AUSTRIAN USD $9.22 Buy It Now 16h 45m
LIGHTNING SEEDS WHAT IF...(DIGI) CD SINGLE LTD EDITION 4 TRACK DIGI PACK UK USD $9.22 Buy It Now 16h 53m
DODGY IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME CD SINGLE 4 TRACK UK USD $9.22 Buy It Now 17h 13m
SUGAR IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MIND CD SINGLE 4 TRACK UK USD $9.22 Buy It Now 17h 17m
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 4 Trk CD Single) USD $5.36 Buy It Now 17h 29m
Flamingos / Dreamlovers - Lovers Never Say Goodbye b/w If I Should Lose You 4... USD $10.64 Buy It Now 17h 29m
ELTON JOHN IF THE RIVER CAN BEND CD SINGLE 4 TRACK UK USD $7.69 Buy It Now 17h 31m
SHERYL CROW IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY CD SINGLE 4 TRACK UK USD $7.69 Buy It Now 17h 38m
MICHAEL BOLTON AIN'T GOT NOTHING IF.. CD SINGLE 4 TRACK 1991 UK USD $12.30 Buy It Now 17h 38m
KIM WILDE IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU CD SINGLE 4 TRACK DIGI PACK UK USD $9.22 Buy It Now 17h 43m
Johnny Horton I'm Ready If You're Willing/Honky-Tonk Man 45 #4-21504 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 18h 2m
*(XT4) Olivia Newton John If Not For You UK 1971 7" 45 EX+ Beauty! USD $10.53 Buy It Now 18h 30m
OSCAR PERRY "4 Corner Get Down", "If It Could Be" Peri-Tone Houston Texas d USD $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 32m
PJ & Duncan Ant & Dec If I Give You My Number CDSTAS2732 4 track Promo CD USD $8.72 [0 bids]
CD MC 900 FT Jesus 'If I Only Had A Brain' 4 TRACK MAXI SINGLE DIGIPACK 1994 USD $1.50 [0 bids]
HANSON-IF ONLY-RARE 4 TK IMPORT DANCE REMIX MAXI CD SINGLE-w VIDEO-2000-CLUB MIX USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
INTRIGUE-IF YOU'VE EVER BEEN IN LOVE-RARE 4 TRK U.S. DJ PROMO CD-EUROPOP-1996 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gabrielle If I Really Cared 4 Track Cd Single USD $5.36 Buy It Now 1 day
NM 12"~ABYSS~Catch 22 (Damn If You Do Dam If You Don't)~[x4 Mixes]~[2002] USD $1.97 Buy It Now 1 day
4" VINYL RECORD "IF YOU'RE 17" SOUVENIR EDITION VERY RARE USSR USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
U2~If God Will Send His Angels Maxi CD Single~4 trx~Slow Dancing (Willie Nelson) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
R. KELLY - If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time (UK 4 Tk Enh CD Single) USD $4.60 Buy It Now 1 day
U2: IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS [4 TRACK CD SINGLE] (Sunday Bloody Sunday-Live) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE S.O.S. BAND "IF YOU WANT MY LOVE" 4Z9 04161 (1983) * i combine shipping * USD $3.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Lesley Gore - I'll Cry If I Want To - Original 1960's Reel to Reel Tape 4TRK. USD $10.00 [0 bids]
45 RECORD SCRIPTO PRESENTS BOBBY DARIN 4 SONGS IF A MAN ANSWERS / TRUE TRUE LOVE USD $2.23 Buy It Now 1 day
MGM 78rpm BILLY ECKSTINE Body & Soul / If Love Is Trouble That's What I'm Lookn4 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
HANSON IF ONLY 4TRACK SINGLE CD ENHANCED VIDEO Promo USD $14.99 [0 bids]
STING IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE 4 TRACK 12" RECORD ALBUM LP USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Spiller ?- Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) 2000 Greek 4 Tracks CD Maxi-single USD $19.90 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Only Had a Brain / Regression Session - Limited Edition 4 track EP USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NOFX 7" OF THE MONTH CLUB #4 - JAMAICA'S ALLRIGHT IF YOU LIKE HOMOPHOBES- GREEN USD $15.62 Buy It Now 1 day
NOFX 7" OF THE MONTH CLUB #4 - JAMAICA'S ALLRIGHT IF YOU LIKE HOMOPHOBES 2005 USD $11.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Daniel Bedingfield "If You're Not The One" 4 track CD single PLUS Sticker Sheet USD $1.57 [0 bids]
Danielle Greenwood - If I Am Cruel 4 trk CD single USD $1.57 [0 bids]
Geri Halliwell Scream If You Want To Go Faster 4-Trk Holland CDS [Spice Girls] USD $12.74 Buy It Now 2 days
4KaST Any Weather CD Miss My Lovin' Because I Love You The Rose If I Could USD $6.45 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Lawrence - Go Away Little Girl / If You Love Her Tell Her So - 4-42601 USD $9.09 Buy It Now 2 days
EDWYN COLLINS Keep On Burning CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w If You Could Love Me In Time USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
DIANA ROSS If We Hold On Together CD 4 Track Part 1 In Z Pack B/w Work That Body USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
EAST 17 FEATURING GABRIELLE If You Ever CD 4 Track Smoove Mix 7" Version B/w Ruf USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
BENNET If You Met Me Then You'd Like Me CD 4 Track B/w Oh Yeah,back To Back At B USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
A1 Summertime Of Our Lives CD 4 Track B/w Metro Club Mix, If You Were My Girl An USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
EDWYN COLLINS A Girl Like You CD 4 Track Digi Pack B/w If You Could Love Me Acou USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
DINA CARROLL Only Human CD 4 Track B/w Run To You,if I Had A Dream And Same Old USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track, Lp Edit, R&b Mix, Uno Clio Pure Bliss Dub USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
CELINE DION Think Twice CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Le Monde Est Stone, If Love Is USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
BARE JR Brainwasher CD 4 Track Promo In Card Sleeve Featuring Brainwasher, If Yo USD $11.05 Buy It Now 2 days
3RD STOREE If Ever CD 4 Track So So Def Remix Without Rap With Info Stickered Ca USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track Part 1 B/w Love Is Back, If You Fe USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
CHRIS BRAIDE If I Hadn't Got You CD 4 Track Radio Mix B/w T Empo Master Club Mix USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
CUTTING CREW If That's The Way You Want It CD 4 Track B/w No Bad Thing, Been In USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
CELINE DION Call The Man CD 4 Track Radio Edit Green Sleeve B/w Medley, If We Co USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
DODGY If You're Thinking Of Me CD 4 Track UK A&m 1996 USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
BLAMELESS Breathe CD 4 Track B/w What If,tomorrow You Might Be Dead And Town Clo USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
ELTON JOHN If The River Can Bend CD 4 Track Edit B/w Don't Let The Sun Go Down O USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track B/w Love Is Back, If You Feel Like USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
DREAM CITY FILM CLUB If I Die I Die CD 4 Track B/w Pissboy, When I Sleep And Tee USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track Lp Version Radio Edit B/w Soft Touch Mix Ra USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
BALLROOM Take It CD 4 Track B/w Edit,her Sweet Saliva And If I UK Mother 1997 USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
BROWNSTONE 5 Miles To Empty CD 4 Track B/w Cut Clever Mix, If You Love Me And Gr USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
2 PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD 4 Track Soulpower Hip Hop Radio Mix B/w USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me CD 4 Track DUTCH Virgin 1995 USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
ALICE MARTINEAU If I Fall CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Single Version, Standard Ver USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BLUETONES - IF (3 TRK CD SINGLE) (REF C4) USD $4.60 Buy It Now 2 days
ATOMIC KITTEN If You Come To Me CD 4 Track B/w So Right, Feels So Good And Feels USD $8.05 Buy It Now 2 days
MICA PARIS if I love u 2 nite 12 BRW 207 uk 4th and broadway 1991 12" PS EX/EX USD $15.36 Buy It Now 2 days
If I Had A Hammer The Folk Songs Of Our Land ( 4 CD Box Set 2011 Readers Digest USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Ray Charles (4) - If You We're Here 7" USD $10.74 Buy It Now 2 days
DAUGHTER If You Leave UK 10-trk numbered/watermarked promo test CD 4AD sealed USD $38.41 [0 bids]
STING If You Love Somebody set them free 4track 12" USD $12.30 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Company - If You Needed Somebody 4 Track 12" record SAM674 USD $15.36 Buy It Now 2 days
Aretha & 4 Tops 45 w/PS If Ever A Love There USD $6.75 Buy It Now 3 days
DANE COOK--HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED--24 TOPIC CD--4 TOPIC DVD USD $1.95 [0 bids]
USD $2.95 Buy It Now
GIBSON BROS QUE SERA MI VIDA [ IF YOU SHOULD GO] HEAVEN VINYL 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $5.52 Buy It Now 3 days
LOT Of 4 Barry Manilow 2- Even Now, ONE VOICE, IF I SHOULD LOVE AGAIN LP Records USD $24.95 Buy It Now 3 days
SUZI QUATRO_If You Can't Give Me Love_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_H4b USD $9.40 Buy It Now 3 days
BLUE If You Come Back 4-Track (CD Single 2001) Inc Video USD $4.60 Buy It Now 3 days
DAMAGE - SO WHAT IF I (4 TRK ENHANCED CD) (REF C6) USD $6.13 Buy It Now 3 days
Sting(12" Vinyl)If You Love Somebody Set Them Free-A&M-AMDJ4-VG/VG+ USD $6.13 Buy It Now 3 days
LP 2
~ USD $13.01
CD if4
~ USD $14.14

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132959) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#178943) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458878) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011

Post a review of IF "If 4"