IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
Vinyl$25.00 (used)
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]

THE KINKS - GOT LOVE IF YOU WANT IT - RSD 2017 7" VINYL - NEW SEALED 4 SONGS EP USD $17.50 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Edwyn Collins If you could love me 4 track CD single USD $0.64 [0 bids]
CHICAGO THE CHICAGO STORY GREATEST IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 25 OR 6 TO 4 HARD HABIT USD $9.33 Buy It Now 3h 41m
STING - IF I EVER LOSE MY FAITH IN YOU Aus 4 track CD single USD $2.98 [1 bids]
CRYSTAL WATERS Say If you feel 4 EDITS MIX PROMO CD NBA USD $14.24 Buy It Now 12h 3m
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 4 Trk CD Single) USD $4.55 Buy It Now 13h 2m
ELVIS PRESLEY - IF I CAN DREAM 2016 FLYERS x 4 USD $1.95 Buy It Now 13h 34m
Nancy Wilson: If I Had My Way PROMO w/ Artwork MUSIC AUDIO CD Edit 4t CSK 41074 USD $6.29 Buy It Now 15h 11m
The Blue Notes - If You Love Me + The 4 Haven Knights 7" Doo Wop Single Record USD $3.22 Buy It Now 15h 13m
IF I CAN DREAM 4 TRACK CD SINGLE, Barry Manilow, Very Good USD $24.39 Buy It Now 17h 24m
Gabrielle If I Really Cared 4 Track Cd Single USD $4.55 Buy It Now 21h 41m
Sugar - If I Can't Change Your Mind 4 Track CD Single USD $5.92 Buy It Now 23h 37m
Theaudience If you can't do it when you're young 4 track CD single USD $0.64 [0 bids]
KING OF THE HILL If I Say CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic, Purple Haze Live And I Do U USD $4.55 Buy It Now 1 day
WET WET WET - IF I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.59 Buy It Now 1 day
ANDREW BROWN - IF WE TRY - 4 BROTHERS (NORTHERN SOUL - 45 RPM) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TOPOL If I Were A Rich Man 4 track Promo CD Single USD $23.41 [0 bids]
NORTHERN - ANDREW BROWN - IF WE TRY - 4 BROTHERS - LISTEN USD $9.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Bryan Gilbert Group If You Know The Lord XPR 3009 4 track EP 7" Vinyl Single 45 USD $14.55 [0 bids]
Hundred Reasons: If I Could (Deleted 4 track Enhanced CD2 Single) Director's Cut USD $1.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Hundred Reasons: If I Could (Deleted 4 track Enhanced CD1 Single) USD $1.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Westlife - If I Let You Go - 4 trk cd maxi w. 6:07 Bernard Lohr Rmx - Very Rare USD $2.49 [0 bids]
TONY MOORE cd single no case IF THIS IS CALLED LOVE 4 TRACK used USD $3.63 Buy It Now 1 day
East 17 & Gabrielle - If You Ever (4 TRCK CD 1996) London Records**NR MINT CD** USD $3.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Janet Jackson If 1993 Virgin Y-12675 Maxi Single w/ 4 Remixes 12" 33 1/3 RPM VG+ USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LEMONHEADS RSD SET IF ONLY YOU WERE DEAD 2x LP & BORED ON THE 4TH OF JULY VINYL USD $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Naz - If I Ruled The World (1996 CD Single) 4 Trax. Rap/Hip-Hop/Pop USD $1.65 Buy It Now 2 days
IF - If 4 (1972). Repertoire CD, British jazz rock USD $16.29 Buy It Now 2 days
AUTOGRAPHED Rebecca St James If I Had One Chance To Tell You Something BOGO B4G1 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
AMP FIDDLER FT. CORINNE BAILEY RAE If I Don't (4 mixes) UK CD single 2006 USD $5.20 Buy It Now 2 days
Sting: If You Love Somebody.. UK 4 Track 12" A&M AMY 258 USD $5.21 Buy It Now 2 days
Rod Stewart - If We Fall In Love Tonight - German Import CD Single - 4 Tracks USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
245 Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $9.05 Buy It Now 2 days
245 Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $15.56 Buy It Now 2 days
245 Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $29.89 Buy It Now 2 days
BUCK OWENS Kansas City, My Heart, Under Your & If You 8 Track Tape 4 Lot USD $9.88 Buy It Now 2 days
JASMINE RAE_If I Want To__used CD_ships from AUS!__zz4_Y12 USD $8.93 Buy It Now 2 days
SNOOP DOGG PRESENTS DOGGYS ANGELS-BABY IF YOU'RE READY (4 VERS)-TVT2132-0 NM 12" USD $4.98 Buy It Now 2 days
STING If You Love Somebody set them free 4track 12" USD $10.42 Buy It Now 2 days
TONY BENNETT - Take The Moment / If I Ruled The World - 4-43220 - 45rpm USD $1.50 [0 bids]
JOHNNY MATHES - Broken Heart? / If We Only Have Love - 4-45470 - 45rpm USD $1.50 [0 bids]
Crystal Waters Say... If You Feel Alright 4 Track Maxi Cd 1996 Mercury USA S3 USD $2.07 Buy It Now 2 days
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Sa USD $3.26 [0 bids]
PICTURE SLEEVE OC Smith Columbia 4-44948 If I Leave You Now USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Kevin Puts: To Touch the Sky; If I Were a Swan; Symphony No. 4 "From Mission... USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Aretha & 4 Tops 45 w/PS If Ever A Love There USD $6.75 Buy It Now 2 days
If The Shoe Fits Syreeta 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK MOTC4 MOTORCITY USD $15.55 Buy It Now 2 days
Heartworms If Everything Goes As Planned EP 7" vinyl single record USA POOF4 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
If Only The Moon Were Up Field Music UK CD 4 track promo USD $3.27 [0 bids]
Chicago If You Leave Me Now - 4 Prong 7" vinyl single record UK SCBS4603 CBS USD $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Odyssey If You're Lookin' For A Way Out - 4-Prong 7" vinyl single record UK USD $14.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Olivia Newton John If Not For You - 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK 7N.25543 PYE USD $14.26 Buy It Now 3 days
Val Doonican If I Knew Then What I Know Now - 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK USD $12.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Sting If I Ever Lose My Faith In You Taiwan Ltd 4-track CD Single Sealed 1993 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
(George Michael) Wham The Best Of If You Were There 4Tr Promo Card CD SAMPCM4810 USD $16.36 [0 bids]
Daughter If You Leave vinyl LP album record UK CAD3301 4AD 2013 USD $31.19 Buy It Now 3 days
JO STAFFORD/IF YOU WANT TO LOVE US COLUMBIA 4-40595 USD $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SUZI QUATRO_If You Can't Give Me Love_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_H4b USD $8.93 Buy It Now 3 days
DEAN GEYER_If You Don't Mean It_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_B4 USD $7.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Jerusalem In My Heart - If He Dies, If If If If If If (Audio CD - Sep 4, 2015) USD $8.97 Buy It Now 3 days
The Raww Dealaz - R.A.W.W. Deal 4 L.I.F.E. [New CD] USD $17.56 Buy It Now 3 days
Mixed Lot If 4 CDs SERIOUS, IDEAL, MASTER P, LL COOL J 10 ... USD $8.54 Buy It Now 3 days
The Best If Brahms CD Hungarian Dances #s 1,3,4,5,6&10 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Gordon Lightfoot Don Quixote Sundown Endless Wire If You Could (EX) 4 LP Lot USD $9.99 [0 bids]
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $9.05 Buy It Now 3 days
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $15.56 Buy It Now 3 days
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $29.89 Buy It Now 3 days
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over... CD +4 bonus trks USD $9.10 [0 bids]
Mama's & The Papa's If You Can Believe Your Eyes & Ears Tested3-3/4ips Near Mint USD $32.50 Buy It Now 3 days
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" VINYL UK Pulse 8 1994 4 Track Band Of Gypsies USD $4.09 Buy It Now 3 days
DODGY I Need Another 12" VINYL UK A&M 1993 4 Track Dj Promo B/W Never Again, If USD $4.09 Buy It Now 3 days
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" VINYL UK Tmrc 1991 4 Track White Label Brown Eyes USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
OBSESSION (DANCE) If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Almighty 1993 4 Track USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number 12" VINYL UK 4 Track Test Pressing In USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
EUSEBE If Masser Says 12" VINYL UK Mamas Yard 1995 4 Track 7" Edit Remix By Bbg USD $2.72 Buy It Now 3 days
LUCIANA If You Want 12" VINYL UK Chrysalis 1994 4 Mixes With Delta Con Baixo USD $4.09 Buy It Now 3 days
FISH MONKEY MAN If I've Told You Once 12" VINYL UK Warner 1991 4 Track B/W Air USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL UK Warner Bros 1995 4 Track Main Mix Promo USD $4.09 Buy It Now 3 days
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" VINYL Dutch Bmg 1994 4 Track Radio Edit USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" VINYL UK Virgin 4 Track B/w Hard Times, If You USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me 12" VINYL UK Setanta 1995 4 Track In Die Cut USD $11.58 Buy It Now 3 days
JUNIOR DUNN If You Leave Me Now 12" VINYL Hardcore 4 Track B/W You Should Have USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL US Warner Bros 1995 4 Track Promo (Proa7932) USD $4.09 Buy It Now 3 days
AL B SURE If I'm Not Your Lover 12" VINYL UK Warner Bros 1988 4 Track 12" Remix USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" VINYL UK Epic 1986 4 Track B/W Instrumental, If USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
MOTHERS (90'S GROUP) Even If We Lose 12" VINYL UK Elektra 4 Track Promo (Sam712) USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
DON JACK & THE DESIGN Back Chat 12" VINYL UK Private 1987 4 Track B/w If This USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
J.J. If This Is Love 12" VINYL Dutch Cbs 1991 4 Track B/W Denim And Blue, If USD $4.09 Buy It Now 3 days
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" VINYL UK Big Bang 1996 4 Track True Mix USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" VINYL UK Cbs 1989 4 Track Remix B/W As USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
TAMPERER FEATURING MAYA If You Buy This Record 12" VINYL UK Pepper 1998 4 Track USD $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
1ZZ COLUMBIA 4-41502 PROMO JOHNNY HORTON IM READY IF YOUR WILLING ME LIKE I AM USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID CASSIDY If I Didn't Care 7" VINYL 4 Pronged Centre B/w Frozen Noses (bel USD $5.46 Buy It Now 4 days
14 ALBUM ADVERT 12X4 JOHN COUGAR: NOTHIN' MATTERS ANDWHAT IF IT DID USD $6.50 Buy It Now 4 days
LIGHTNING SEEDS WHAT IF 4 TRACK CD SINGLE DIGIPACK 4D USD $3.24 Buy It Now 4 days
BRITNEY SPEARS_IF U Seek Amy_used cd-s_ships from AUS!__F4 USD $148.84 Buy It Now 4 days
vinyl THE ROLLING STONES ---FIVE BY FIVE IF YOU NEED ME+4 *PRINTED IN ENGLAND* USD $65.00 Buy It Now 4 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $11.66 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"