IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
$12.40
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
If by IF (2014-05-04)If by IF (2014-05-04)
$43.51
If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)
Repertoire
$38.55
4 by IF (2013-05-04)4 by IF (2013-05-04)
$45.49
If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)
$41.06

JEANIE TRACY - If this is love - Scarce 1994 UK 4-track 12" vinyl single USD $4.96 Buy It Now
RUFFO Y SUS 4 EP Spain 1964 If I had a hammer +3 ( In Spanish ) USD $15.00 Buy It Now
Grandmaster Flash ?- If U Wanna Party / 12" 1996 GERMANY NM - 4 Versions USD $10.00 Buy It Now
SIMPLY RED #1 song CD If You Don't Know me By Now 4 track SINGLE shine SUGAR DAD USD $11.99 Buy It Now
Sheryl Crow - If It Makes You Happy Rare UK 4 Track Cassette Single NEW USD $2.42 Buy It Now 1h 15m
IF - 4 CD NEW+ USD $17.84 Buy It Now 3h 53m
If I Could Turn Back Time: Cher's Greatest Hits Cd USD $10.25 Buy It Now 4h 41m
If You Leave Me Now by Upside Down (1996, World, CD single, 4 tracks) Very Good USD $11.98 Buy It Now 4h 56m
ED KUEPPER: IF I HAD A TICKET - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $6.17 Buy It Now 5h 10m
THE LIGHTNING SEEDS - WHAT IF - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $2.47 Buy It Now 12h
The Darling Buds - Hit The Ground / Pretty Girl / If I Said (4trk) (Indie) (12") USD $6.20 Buy It Now 14h 11m
ALEXANDER O'NEAL - If You Were Here Tonight ? song lyric poster Edition Print #3 USD $11.12 Buy It Now 14h 35m
BLUE - If You Come Back - 2001 UK Virgin label 4-track enhanced CD single USD $6.20 Buy It Now 15h 28m
Jamie T - If You Got The Money 2 ? song lyrics typography poster art print USD $11.12 Buy It Now 15h 43m
Jamie T - If You Got The Money ? song lyrics typography poster art print - A1 A2 USD $11.12 Buy It Now 16h 17m
Alfie 4 CD Album -Single Lot: If You Happy People Make No Bones Word In Your Ear USD $20.00 Buy It Now 18h 13m
Brothers Four Columbia 4-43621 IF I FELL / NOWHERE MAN (GREAT R&R PROMO 45) USD $8.99 Buy It Now 18h 20m
SIMPLY RED - IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW (EP) U.S. CD-SINGLE 1989 4 TRACKS USD $4.75 [0 bids]
USD $6.50 Buy It Now
If 4 CD NEW USD $17.30 Buy It Now 18h 59m
JUNE POWELL If Only 12" VINYL 4 Track B/w If Only Version, Got To Find A Way A USD $7.44 Buy It Now 19h 14m
k.d. lang ?- You're OK 4-track CD single incl. Remixes of If I Were You USD $2.79 Buy It Now 19h 45m
Fg's Romance - If You Wanna See Me Girl GER Maxi /4* USD $90.90 Buy It Now 19h 58m
Bros MATT GOSS If You Were Here Tonight 4-TRK CD SINGLE 1995 USD $1.23 [0 bids]
BFD #1 CD i'm GOOD 4 U if u treat love bad BOYZ FROM DETROIT 90s new jack swing USD $69.99 Buy It Now 20h 38m
OC Smith 45 If I Leave You Now / Daddy's Little Man Columbia vg+ 4-44948 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 21h 52m
45 RPM 7" Record Kitty Kallen If I Gave My Heart To You Columbia Records 4-41473 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 22h 42m
Vinyl Record 12" THE PRETENDERS FOR 007 IF THERE WAS A MAN (51)4 USD $3.71 [1 bids]
Toni Fisher - Love Big / If I Love You 7" VG+ Vinyl 45 Columbia 4-42066 USA 1961 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BURNING FLAMES Dig MANGO 162 539 914-4 If You Get What You Want CHOOK AND Workey USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
I Didn't Give a Damn If Whites Bought It! The Ralph Bass sessions volume 4 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Reba McEntire CD lot of 4 What if It's You, Duets, If you see him, Broken Heart USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BLUE If You Come Back CD 4 Tracks, Radio Edit/8 Jam Street Mix/Blacksmith Smoot USD $4.96 Buy It Now 1 day
COLIN JAMES If You Lean On Me CD 4 Tracks, Radio Edit/Album Version/Back In My USD $5.70 Buy It Now 1 day
SOUL FOR REAL If you want it 4TRX REMIXES ACAPELA & INSTRUMENTAL PROMO CD Single USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DODGY If You'Re Thinking Of Me CD 4 Tracks Inc Pebble Mill Jam/Forever Remain/G USD $4.21 Buy It Now 1 day
EDWYN COLLINS Keep On Burning CD 4 Tracks Inc If You Could Love Me/Lava Camp/Th USD $4.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Sally Shapiro - If You Ever Wanna Change Your Mind - 4 Track USD $4.96 Buy It Now 1 day
LEMAR Someone Should Tell You CD 4 Tracks, Orig Version/Kardinal Beats Remix/If USD $4.21 Buy It Now 1 day
LIGHTNING SEEDS What If CD 4 Tracks, Orig/Leuroj Slo N Easy Mix USD $4.21 Buy It Now 1 day
MN8 If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Tracks, Radio Mix/Absolute 12 Inch Mix/Club Mix/ USD $4.21 Buy It Now 1 day
CK9 2Pac I wonder if Heaven got a Ghetto JIVE CD 446 EU 4 Track CD amaru *SALE* USD $8.40 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK DERRINGER: If I Weren't So Romantic, I'd Shoot You LP Vinyl Album (DBH4) USD $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World CD 4 Tracks, Radio Edit/D Wynn USD $4.21 Buy It Now 1 day
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD With Postcards, 4 Tracks, Orig Version/ USD $4.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Dodgy - If You're Thinking Of Me (4 Track CD Single) Used Good USD $1.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Lawson & 4 More-`Smart Bird / If You Want Me, You Can F (UK IMPORT) VINYL LP NEW USD $16.76 Buy It Now 1 day
Sting: If I Ever Lose My Faith In You (Deleted 4 track CD Single) USD $3.71 Buy It Now 1 day
DANNY WILSON - IF YOU REALLY LOVE ME - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE EP USD $2.47 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/ DC If You Want Blood ? typography quote poster art limited edition print #5 USD $12.36 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL MCDONALD IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES & NO LOOKIN' BACK + WIDE OPEN 4 LP'S USD $70.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Cher 4 Cassette Single Lot - If I Could Turn Back Time Love and Understanding + USD $3.54 Buy It Now 1 day
4 Freddy Fender 45 RPM Records Secret Love Think About Me If You Don't Love Me USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EAST 17 featuring GABRIELLE - If You Ever - 1996 UK 4-track CD single USD $1.49 [0 bids]
THE BLUETONES - IF (3 TRK CD SINGLE) (REF C4) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 1 day
THEAUDIENCE - If You Can't Do It When You're Young... (UK 4 Tk CD Single) USD $4.33 Buy It Now 1 day
LENNY KRAVITZ - IF YOU CAN'T SAY NO (4 TRACK CD) (REF B2) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 1 day
Dr Hook - 7" 45s x 4 : Sylvia's Mother/If Not You/When You're In Love/I Don't Wa USD $3.48 [0 bids]
U2 'If God Will Send His Angels' (Island CID 648) 1997 4 Trk CD Nr Mint USD $3.10 [0 bids]
Cutting Crew 'If That's The Way You Want It' (Virgin REWD 1) 1990 4 Trk CD EX USD $1.55 [0 bids]
DODGY - If You're Thinking Of Me (UK 4 Trk 1996 CD Single) USD $3.09 Buy It Now 2 days
THE VACCINES 4 TRACK CD SINGLE EP FROM 2011 IF YOU WANNA !!! USD $6.20 [0 bids]
Jerry Wallace "If You Leave Me Tonight I'll Cry" "What's He Doing In My World" 4 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANDREW BROWN: If We Try US 4 Brothers Northern Soul Rare 45 HEAR USD $9.99 [0 bids]
C.D.MUSIC H528 KEZIAH JONES IF YOU KNOW SINGLE 4 TRACK CD USD $6.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Lawson & 4 More-`Smart Bird / If You Want Me, You Can Find Me` VINYL LP NEW USD $16.80 Buy It Now 2 days
if only ( radio edit 3:59 / uk radio mix 4:04 / jfp club mix (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $4.98 Buy It Now 2 days
If - If GER LP 1970 Pink Island Jazzrock Prog /4* USD $49.90 Buy It Now 2 days
WET WET WET - IF I NEVER SEE YOU... (CD2) (4 TRK CD SINGLE) (REF D7) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 2 days
BLUE - IF YOU COME BACK (4 TRK ECD) (REF B6) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 2 days
SUGAR - IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MIND (4 TRK CD SINGLE) (REF D6) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 2 days
DAMAGE - SO WHAT IF I (4 TRK ENHANCED CD) (REF C6) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 2 days
EAST 17/GABRIELLE - IF YOU EVER (4 TRK CD) (REF C7) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 2 days
DODGY - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME (4 TRK CD) (REF C6) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 2 days
2Pac So Many Tears / If I Die Tonight CD 4 Tracks Single Tupac USD $60.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MOONSHINE ~ IF IT MOVES EP ~ UK 4-TRACK MOO 7" 1976 WITH INSERT ~ GARAGE PSYCH USD $117.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God Europe LP 1988 + Innerbag /4* USD $31.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MICA PARIS if i love u 2 nitestand up BRW 207 uk 4th & broadway 7" PS EX/EX USD $8.68 Buy It Now 2 days
1983 M-EXC*HUEY lewis If This Is It VS4 42803 change of heart 45 USD $3.26 Buy It Now 2 days
U2 - If God Will Send His Angels - Deleted 1997 UK 4 track CD (Promo) USD $6.20 Buy It Now 2 days
(N) If I Had a Hammer The Folk Songs of Our Land (4-CD Set, 2011) *BRAND NEW USD $29.75 Buy It Now 2 days
GABRIELLE - IF YOU REALLY CARED - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $3.71 Buy It Now 2 days
NAT KING COLE LOT 4 BRAZIL USA 78 RPM LOST APRIL IF I HAD YOU NATURE BOY USD $60.00 Buy It Now 2 days
NAT KING COLE LIST LOT 4 BRAZIL 78 RPM NATURE BOY ANGEL EYES IF I HAD YOU USD $55.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE MAVERICKS 4 Track CD Single. I Don't Care If You Dont Love Me Anymore. MCA USD $0.93 [0 bids]
The Script - If You Could See Me Now - Song Lyric Art Poster - A4 Size USD $6.52 Buy It Now 2 days
Smokey - If You Think You Know How To Love Me BEL 7in 1975 Belgium PicSleeve /4* USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Solomon Burke - If You Need Me GER LP 1967 /4* USD $129.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The Collective (4) - L.I.F.E / Ease Yourself, 12", (Vinyl) USD $16.02 Buy It Now 3 days
Karen Ramirez - If We Try, 12", Promo, (Vinyl) USD $20.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Silk (4) - If You, 12", TP, (Vinyl) USD $16.27 Buy It Now 3 days
Boones Farm - If You Can't Be My Woman 7" Mint- 4-45623 White Promo Vinyl 45 USD $8.40 Buy It Now 3 days
If I Had a Song The Songs of Pete Seeger Vol 2 CD & American Favorite Ballads 4 USD $22.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KD LANG If I Were You 12" Warner Bros SAM1769 UK 4 track white label promo USD $4.46 Buy It Now 3 days
Gordon Lightfoot -If You Could Read My Mind GER LP 1970 /4* USD $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SHERYL CROW IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY 4 TRACK AUSTRALIAN CARD SLEEVE CD - EXC - VGC USD $4.29 Buy It Now 3 days
JEANETTE WORMALD IF THIS ISN'T COUNTRY 4 TRACK CD - NEW USD $8.58 Buy It Now 3 days
COUNTING CROWS IF I COULD GIVE ALL MY LOVE 4 TRACK CD - NEAR MINT - LN USD $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
EUSEBE - If masser says - 1995 UK 4-track 12" vinyl single USD $24.83 Buy It Now 3 days
THE GIBSON BROTHERS 'QUE SERA MI VIDA (IF YOU SHOULD GO)' UK 7" SINGLE #4 USD $1.23 Buy It Now 3 days
Please - If I Was God - 7" single in picture sleeve - SUGA4V -EX+/EX+ USD $4.96 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with "Svenska Soma", the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"