IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
4 by If4 by If
Repertoire Records
4 by IF (2013-05-04)4 by IF (2013-05-04)
Imports
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus by IFIf 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus by IF
IF
If 4 By If (2007-07-23)If 4 By If (2007-07-23)
Repertoire
LIGHTNING SEEDS What If Austrian 4-trk CD incl Slow & Easy mix p/s USD $13.87 Buy It Now 55m 46s
Bob Dylan,If Not For You, Song Lyrics Typography, Art Print, A4/A3 USD $5.83 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Bob Dylan,If Not For You, Song Lyrics Typography, Art Print, A4/A3 USD $11.68 Buy It Now 1h 16m
GERI HALLIWELL - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster - CD Single - 4 Tracks - 2001-CD2 USD $5.77 Buy It Now 2h 48m
If Fire Would Fall 4 Track CD Single USD $7.29 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Bryan Gilbert Group If You Know The Lord XPR 3009 4 track EP 7" Vinyl Single 45 USD $16.33 [0 bids]
If-4 UK prog jazz cd remastered USD $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 4m
Noel Gallagher - If I Had A Gun... - Funky Art Print - A4 Size USD $8.77 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Phil Collins If Leaving Me is Easy UK IMPORT 7" 45 PS Poster Sleeve 4-Track EP USD $12.00 Buy It Now 10h 23m
SNOOP DOGG PRESENTS DOGGYS ANGELS-BABY IF YOU'RE READY (4 VERS)-TVT2132-0 NM 12" USD $4.98 Buy It Now 12h 11m
STING If You Love Somebody set them free 4track 12" USD $11.69 Buy It Now 12h 19m
Billie Holiday Ain't Nobody's Busineess If I Do 4 lp box set Ex condition USD $23.00 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Aretha & 4 Tops 45 w/PS If Ever A Love There USD $6.75 Buy It Now 18h 45m
DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only Remember My Name 2005 4xLP 45 RPM SSided SEALED! USD $425.00 Buy It Now 18h 50m
ALL-4-ONE / I Swear & Here If You're Ready - Cassette Single - 1994 - Rare USD $3.99 Buy It Now 19h 35m
DODGY, IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, A USD $2.76 Buy It Now 21h 18m
GABRIELLE, IF YOU REALLY CARED, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, GO BEA USD $2.76 Buy It Now 22h 41m
JOHN ALFORD, IF/KEEP RUNNING, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, LOVE THI USD $2.76 Buy It Now 1 day
PAUL MCNULTY - VERY WELL LET'S SEE IF IT WORKS VOL 2 - 4 TRACK CD 1992 CSF02 USD $8.76 Buy It Now 1 day
PRIMAL SCREAM - IF THEY MOVE KILL 'EM - MEGA RARE 4 TRK 12" VINYL 1998 CREATION USD $11.69 [0 bids]
GROOVE ARMADA - IF EVERYBODY LOOKED THE SAME 4 track CD USD $3.36 Buy It Now 1 day
SUZI QUATRO_If You Can't Give Me Love_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_H4b USD $8.63 Buy It Now 1 day
DEAN GEYER_If You Don't Mean It_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_B4 USD $7.19 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM Victor 18205 Ada Jones, Billy Murray, If It Wasn't 4 U/ Put on Your Sl V USD $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM Vocalion 4929 Lawrence Welk, If I Hadn't Met U/ I Paid 4 the Lie I Told E- USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Gayle & Gillian ( The Twins ) Mad if ya don't 4-Track CD Single 1993 USD $4.37 [0 bids]
Jerusalem In My Heart - If He Dies, If If If If If If (Audio CD - Sep 4, 2015) USD $8.97 Buy It Now 1 day
MN8, IF YOU ONLY LET ME IN, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, COLUMBIA , USD $2.76 Buy It Now 1 day
Elaine Paige - Hymne a L'amour (If You Love Me) 4 Tracks - Mint - Fast Postage USD $7.29 Buy It Now 1 day
KIM APPLEBY 4 X 12" IF YOU CARED + LIGHT OF THE WORLD + DON'T WORRY USD $7.29 Buy It Now 1 day
SANDI THOM, WHAT IF I'M RIGHT CD2, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, VIK USD $2.76 Buy It Now 1 day
If That's the Way You Want It 4 Track Cd Single USD $14.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SOUL FAMILY SENSATION, I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL YOU BABY, M/M, 4 Trac USD $2.76 Buy It Now 1 day
Michael Bloomfield 4 LP Lot If You Love These Blues Triumvirate Count Talent ++ USD $31.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STYLOPHONIC, IF EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD LOVED EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD, M/M, 4 Tra USD $2.76 Buy It Now 1 day
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $10.16 Buy It Now 1 day
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $17.47 Buy It Now 1 day
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $27.70 Buy It Now 1 day
THE LEMONHEADS, IF I COULD TALK I'D TELL YOU, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture USD $2.76 Buy It Now 1 day
NM 12"~The MURDERERS~If You Were My Chick~[x4]~Somebody's Gonna Die Tonight~[x4] USD $1.49 Buy It Now 1 day
TONIC, IF YOU COULD ONLY SEE, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, POLYDOR, USD $2.76 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW/TOGETHER AGAIN 7" SINGLE 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $4.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Carl Butler - If You've Got the Money - Columbia 4-41119 - promo USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Shai If I Ever Fall in Love 1992, 4 Mix Single cd, R&B,R&B & Soul,Gasoline Alley USD $5.49 Buy It Now 1 day
EAST SEVENTEEN FT. GABRIELLE, IF YOU EVER, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sle USD $2.75 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED 12"~LEON HAYWOOD~That's What Time It Is~[4:05]~If You're Lookin For~[5:29 USD $3.97 Buy It Now 1 day
SHERYL CROW IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY CD SINGLE 4 TRACKS USD $5.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Frankie Tyler (Valli) 45 I GO APE / IF YOU CARE~Okeh VG- to VG w.group 4 Seasons USD $35.00 [0 bids]
Lot of 4 Brooks & Dunn Country Music Cassettes Borderline If You See Her & More USD $12.96 Buy It Now 1 day
NM 12"~ABYSS~Catch 22 (Damn If You Do Dam If You Don't)~[x4 Mixes]~[2002] USD $1.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS IF YOU TOLERATE THIS YOUR CHILDREN WILL BE NEXT 4 TRK CD USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
GABRIELLE Forget About The World CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w If You Really Cared Acous USD $7.29 Buy It Now 2 days
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD 4 Track Part 2 Limited Edition With Post USD $4.59 Buy It Now 2 days
GOOD CHARLOTTE Anthem CD 4 Track Part 1 B/w Cd Rom Video, If You Leave And Motiv USD $7.29 Buy It Now 2 days
BRIAN ELDEE S/t 7" 4 Track Featuring Hawaiian Wedding Song, Sweet Caroline, If A USD $4.59 Buy It Now 2 days
TONY TONI TONE, IF I HAD NO LOOT, M/M, 4 Track, Promotional CD Single, Picture USD $2.75 Buy It Now 2 days
BRITNEY SPEARS_IF U Seek Amy_used cd-s_ships from AUS!__F4 USD $143.80 Buy It Now 2 days
ONE INCH PUNCH IF. RARE 4 TRACK CD - EXCELLENT - VGC USD $9.35 Buy It Now 2 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $13.08 Buy It Now 2 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $29.22 Buy It Now 2 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $21.85 Buy It Now 2 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $17.47 Buy It Now 2 days
If Life Hands You A Lemon, Make A Gin & Tonic - Poster Art - A4 Size USD $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
SHERYL CROW - 4 CD SINGLES - RUN BABY RUN, IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, ETC. USD $7.29 Buy It Now 2 days
Weed "If Only U Could See" SEALED 12" Single (Nettwerk Records) 1999 4-tracks USD $16.79 Buy It Now 2 days
4/5/91PN60 ADVERT: SFS I DONT EVEN KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL YOU BABY 3X11 USD $7.29 Buy It Now 2 days
If - 4 (NEW CD) USD $14.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Sheryl Crow 4 Track CD Single If It Makes You Happy 1996 USD $2.18 [0 bids]
If - If 4 [CD New] USD $13.09 Buy It Now 2 days
Blue: If You Come Back (Deleted 4 track Enhanced CD Single) USD $2.91 Buy It Now 2 days
PREFAB SPROUT - If You Don't Love Me (UK 4 Tk CD Single Pt 1) USD $9.49 Buy It Now 2 days
4 MAKING DO: If I Only Had The $ / The Simple Life 45 rare Rock USD $65.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Pure Prairie League 4 LP LOT Bustin' Out, If The Shoe Fits, Can't Hold Back USD $23.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Johnny Horton I'm ready if you're willing 45 RPM 7" record columbia 4-41502 EX USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
JERRY NAYLOR If I Promise COLUMBIA PROMO 45-4-45212 UPTEMPO POP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
PAULINE HENRY - If I can't have you - UK CD single (4 mixes) USD $3.64 Buy It Now 2 days
Huey Lewis And The News If This Is It 1983 VS4 42803 45 + PS USD $1.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Unknown Artist If You Leave Me Now4t CD USD $6.06 Buy It Now 2 days
U2: IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS [4 TRACK CD SINGLE] (Sunday Bloody Sunday-Live) USD $8.98 Buy It Now 2 days
If-If 4 CD NEW USD $15.33 Buy It Now 2 days
Taiwan Promo CD+4 Video+3 Cards GIL OFARIM MOFFATTS Talk To You-If You Only Knew USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Nice Billie Holiday - Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do - NM Vinyl - 4 LPs USD $20.00 [0 bids]
LOT 4 45s YVONNE ELLIMAN ORIGINAL JUKE STRIPS KEEP HANGIN IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU USD $7.55 Buy It Now 2 days
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND 4 TR EU CDSINGLE VERY RARE USD $29.95 Buy It Now 2 days
MANIC STREET PREACHERS Japan PROMO CD No.4 IF YOU TOLERATE more available MANICS USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago If You Leave Me Now - 4 Prong UK 7" vinyl single record SCBS4603 CBS USD $14.53 Buy It Now 3 days
Syreeta If The Shoe Fits 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK MOTC4 MOTORCITY USD $17.45 Buy It Now 3 days
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - If Love Is A Drug The I Want To OD - 4 Trk CD USD $11.68 Buy It Now 3 days
The Wonder Stuff - If The Beatles Had Read Hunter ... - The Wonder Stuff CD 4AVG USD $5.47 Buy It Now 3 days
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" 4 Track True Mix Radio Edit B/w Pumpin D USD $7.29 Buy It Now 3 days
LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" 4 Track B/w Instrumental, If Only For One Night A USD $7.29 Buy It Now 3 days
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" 4 Track Remix B/w As Time Goes By, Isla USD $7.29 Buy It Now 3 days
BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (90'S GROUP) If 60's Were 90's 12" 4 Track Pm Dawn Part Of Life USD $7.29 Buy It Now 3 days
AL B SURE If I'm Not Your Lover 12" 4 Track 12" Remix B/w Lp Version, R USD $9.92 Buy It Now 3 days
NSP AND DAVID CAMACHO FEATURING JON JUNIOR We Can Make It If We Try 12" 4 Track USD $7.29 Buy It Now 3 days
PAULINE HENRY - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU - 4 MIX UK CD SINGLE USD $2.91 Buy It Now 3 days
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Said USD $4.59 Buy It Now 3 days
LP 2
~ USD $12.99
CD if4
~ USD $14.13

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"