IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
Vinyl$25.00 (used)
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
If by IF (2014-05-04)If by IF (2014-05-04)
Imports
If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)
Repertoire
If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)
Imports
4 by If4 by If
Repertoire Records

WET WET WET - IF I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.62 Buy It Now
Aretha Frankilin Columbia 4-44441 If Ever I Would Leave You and Soulville USD $5.00 Buy It Now
YANNI 4 GREAT CDS LIVE AT THE ACROPOLIS TRIBUTE IF I COULD TELL YOU DEVOTION USD $6.58 [0 bids]
?? COLDPLAY IF YOU CROSS US QUOTE Q MAG ADVERT MAGAZINE A4 Poster ?? 005 USD $3.89 Buy It Now
?? EMBRACE IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN CD MAGAZINE ADVERT PAGE A4 ?? 005 USD $3.89 Buy It Now
Lot 4 Freddy Fender If Your Ever Rockin' Country Are You Ready all in shrink EX! USD $12.99 Buy It Now
Cheap Trick "If You Need Me" 4:45 Rare USDJ Promo CD Single Rare ! Buy It Now ! USD $27.20 Buy It Now
Janet Jackson If 1993 Virgin Y-12675 Maxi Single w/ 4 Remixes 12" 33 1/3 RPM VG+ USD $12.00 Buy It Now
BUDGIE IF SWALLOWED DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING vinyl EP/LP 4 TRACK BUDGE1 USD $19.72 Buy It Now 12h 37m
Beautiful People 4 Trck Cd. faded Like A Photograph,If You Please,Cocaine,Demons USD $5.26 [0 bids]
PETER COX : If You Walk Away - Limited Edition 1997 UK 4-trk CD single, GO WEST USD $1.97 Buy It Now 13h 47m
Used Music CD Liquidation Sale ** Artists: I-I #250 ** Buy 1 Get 1 flat ship fee USD $1.99 Buy It Now 14h 52m
KING OF THE HILL IF I SAY CD SINGLE 4J USD $2.95 Buy It Now 16h 56m
LIGHTNING SEEDS WHAT IF 4 TRACK CD SINGLE DIGIPACK 4D USD $2.95 Buy It Now 16h 56m
7" VINTAGE VINYL- PHIL COLLINS - POSTER SLEEVE - IF LEAVING ME IS EASY 4 tracks USD $5.26 [0 bids]
SEALED ! A Lot of 4 Barry Manilow LPs Sealed !!! ,One Voice,1,Barry USD $20.00 Buy It Now 20h 16m
Dusty Springfield - If I Go Away (4-track EP) USD $6.58 [0 bids]
trash museum - if drinking don't kill me.. +3 (de)1984 4trk 12" buro desk1 USD $10.00 [0 bids]
Rod Stewart - If We Fall In Love Tonight - German Import CD Single - 4 Tracks USD $7.99 Buy It Now 20h 33m
9.5cm by 4.5cm Promotional Sticker FIELDS If You Fail We All Fail NEW / MINT USD $2.62 [0 bids]
245 Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $8.24 Buy It Now 20h 45m
245 Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $14.18 Buy It Now 20h 45m
245 Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $27.24 Buy It Now 20h 45m
JASMINE RAE_If I Want To__used CD_ships from AUS!__zz4_Y12 USD $9.38 Buy It Now 21h 52m
SNOOP DOGG PRESENTS DOGGYS ANGELS-BABY IF YOU'RE READY (4 VERS)-TVT2132-0 NM 12" USD $4.98 Buy It Now 22h 3m
STING If You Love Somebody set them free 4track 12" USD $10.55 Buy It Now 22h 11m
Crystal Waters Say... If You Feel Alright 4 Track Maxi Cd 1996 Mercury USA S3 USD $2.07 Buy It Now 1 day
PICTURE SLEEVE OC Smith Columbia 4-44948 If I Leave You Now USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
[SOUL/FUNK/JAZZ]~EXC 12"~LA LA~(If You) Love Me Just A Little~{x4 Mixes/Remixes] USD $2.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Like New U2 4 tracks CD single If God Will Send His Angels 1997 Island CANADIAN USD $1.59 [0 bids]
Aretha & 4 Tops 45 w/PS If Ever A Love There USD $6.75 Buy It Now 1 day
GROOVE ARMADA - IF EVERYBODY LOOKED THE SAME 4 track CD USD $3.87 Buy It Now 1 day
SUZI QUATRO_If You Can't Give Me Love_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_H4b USD $9.38 Buy It Now 1 day
DEAN GEYER_If You Don't Mean It_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_B4 USD $9.38 Buy It Now 1 day
JO STAFFORD/IF YOU WANT TO LOVE US COLUMBIA 4-40595 USD $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
1927 If I Could 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Not Talking, All The People USD $5.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Jerusalem In My Heart - If He Dies, If If If If If If (Audio CD - Sep 4, 2015) USD $8.97 Buy It Now 1 day
The Raww Dealaz - R.A.W.W. Deal 4 L.I.F.E. [New CD] USD $16.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Tom Robinson Band"2,4,6,8 MotorwaySing If You're Glad to be Gay"12"45 UK PRESS USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Elaine Paige - Hymne a L'amour (If You Love Me) 4 Tracks - Mint - Fast Postage USD $6.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Mixed Lot If 4 CDs SERIOUS, IDEAL, MASTER P, LL COOL J 10 ... USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Best If Brahms CD Hungarian Dances #s 1,3,4,5,6&10 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STING-IF I EVER LOSE MY FAITH IN YOU - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $1.31 Buy It Now 1 day
-::- Rare PRINCE A4 CUTTING CLIPPING IF I WAS YOUR GIRLFRIEND LYRICS -::- USD $7.85 Buy It Now 1 day
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $8.24 Buy It Now 1 day
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $14.18 Buy It Now 1 day
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $27.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Pick 2 CDs from lot of 49 Classic Rock/Pop CDs Most Have orig Art (4 if BIN) USD $3.50 [2 bids]
Huey Lewis: If This Is It/Change Of Heart 45RPM Chrysalis # VS4 42803 NM USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EAST SEVENTEEN 17 & GABRIELLE IF YOU EVER UK 4 TRACK CD SINGLE FREE P&P USD $1.78 Buy It Now 2 days
Kevin Puts: To Touch the Sky; If I Were a Swan; Symphony No. 4 "From Mission... USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me 12" VINYL UK Setanta 1995 4 Track In Die Cut USD $8.96 Buy It Now 2 days
GABRIELLE Forget About The World CD UK Go Beat 1996 4 Track Part 2 B/W If You USD $5.53 Buy It Now 2 days
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD UK Mercury 1997 4 Track Part 2 Limited USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
MINT- CARAVAN IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN UK 2001 PROG ROCK CD + 4 BONUS TRK USD $11.87 Buy It Now 2 days
CASHMAN AND WEST Songman 7" VINYL UK Probe 1972 Demo 4 Pronged Centre B/W If USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
VAL DOONICAN If I Knew Then What I Know Now 7" VINYL UK Pye 1968 4 Prong Label USD $2.76 Buy It Now 2 days
KIN KELLY If I Could Hear Your Voice 7" VINYL UK Gipsy 1980 With Folded A4 USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
DODGY I Need Another 12" VINYL UK A&M 1993 4 Track Dj Promo B/W Never Again, If USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
OBSESSION (DANCE) If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Almighty 1993 4 Track USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
VAL DOONICAN If The Whole World Stopped Lovin 7" VINYL UK Pye 1967 4 Pronged USD $2.76 Buy It Now 2 days
MCALMONT Either 12" VINYL UK Hut 1994 4 Track B/w Edit, You Made Me And As If USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number 12" VINYL UK 4 Track Test Pressing In USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" VINYL UK Pulse 8 1994 4 Track Band Of Gypsies USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
28IF Top Of The Pops 7" VINYL UK Diva 1991 B/W Instrumental (Diva4) USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" VINYL UK Tmrc 1991 4 Track White Label Brown Eyes USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
FISH MONKEY MAN If I've Told You Once 12" VINYL UK Warner 1991 4 Track B/W Air USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
EUSEBE If Masser Says 12" VINYL UK Mamas Yard 1995 4 Track 7" Edit Remix By Bbg USD $2.76 Buy It Now 2 days
IF (PROG/ROCK GROUP) 4 LP VINYL Japanese Capitol 1972 6 Track Red Vinyl With 4 USD $25.57 Buy It Now 2 days
MELI'SA MORGAN If You Can Do It I Can Too 12" VINYL US Capitol 1987 4 Track USD $5.53 Buy It Now 2 days
BRENDA LEE If This Is Our Last Time 7" VINYL UK Mca 1972 4 Prong Label Design USD $8.96 Buy It Now 2 days
TOM ROBINSON BAND Rising Free 7" VINYL German Emi 1978 4 Track EP B/w Sing If USD $8.96 Buy It Now 2 days
LUCIANA If You Want 12" VINYL UK Chrysalis 1994 4 Mixes With Delta Con Baixo USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
JANIE MARDEN Big Put On 7" VINYL UK Pye 1970 4 Prong Label Design B/W If You USD $14.49 Buy It Now 2 days
ONLY IN THE DARK If You Truly Love Me 12" VINYL UK Profile 1990 4 Track Club USD $2.76 Buy It Now 2 days
ROGER WHITTAKER If I Were A Rich Man 7" VINYL French Impact 4 Track EP USD $10.34 Buy It Now 2 days
PATTONS If I Leave The World Behind 7" VINYL UK Garden 1981 4 Track B/W Going USD $2.76 Buy It Now 2 days
ODYSSEY (DISCO GROUP) If You're Lookin For A Way Out 7" VINYL UK Rca 1980 4 USD $1.38 Buy It Now 2 days
JUNIOR DUNN If You Leave Me Now 12" VINYL Hardcore 4 Track B/W You Should Have USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
J.J. If This Is Love 12" VINYL Dutch Cbs 1991 4 Track B/W Denim And Blue, If USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" VINYL UK Woman's Own 4 Track EP Featuring If USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
DON JACK & THE DESIGN Back Chat 12" VINYL UK Private 1987 4 Track B/w If This USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" VINYL UK Cbs 1963 4 Track EP Featuring If You Miss Me USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" VINYL UK Virgin 4 Track B/w Hard Times, If You USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
JOE DOLAN Make Me An Island 7" VINYL UK Pye 1969 4 Pronged Label Design B/W If USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
TAMPERER FEATURING MAYA If You Buy This Record 12" VINYL UK Pepper 1998 4 Track USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting 12" VINYL UK Active 1980 4 Track USD $26.96 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" VINYL Dutch Bmg 1994 4 Track Radio Edit USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
MOTHERS (90'S GROUP) Even If We Lose 12" VINYL UK Elektra 4 Track Promo (Sam712) USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" VINYL UK Cbs 1963 4 Track EP Featuring If You Miss USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
LARSEN B Marilyn 7" VINYL UK Try Harder 2008 4 Track B/W Year Of The Rat, If I USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL US Warner Bros 1995 4 Track Promo (Proa7932) USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days
LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" VINYL UK Epic 1986 4 Track B/W Instrumental, If USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" VINYL UK Cbs 1989 4 Track Remix B/W As USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
AL B SURE If I'm Not Your Lover 12" VINYL UK Warner Bros 1988 4 Track 12" Remix USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" VINYL UK Big Bang 1996 4 Track True Mix USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
MCTELLS Jesse Man Rae 7" VINYL UK Frank 4 Track With Hand Painted Insert B/W If USD $6.58 Buy It Now 2 days
ANTHONY NEWLEY More Hits From Tony 7" VINYL UK Decca 4 Track EP Featuring If USD $4.14 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"