IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

Repertoire 2007
Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010
BOBBY DARIN LP 1936-1973 M5-185V1 IF I WERE A CARPENTER R VG/EX C EX- (SKU-3548) US $9.99 Buy It Now 31m 2s
Neil Diamond If You Know What I Mean Columbai10366 PROMO G-VG (45-10240) US $3.57 Buy It Now 37m 18s
ANDERSON, Bill (My Life Throw It Away If I Want To ) Decca 32445 US $4.60 Buy It Now 38m 2s
SPIN DOCTORS ***IF THE RIVER WAS WHISKEY*** Blues-Rock CD NEW US $9.88 Buy It Now 38m 26s
MENTAL AS ANYTHING: If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too? US $8.00 Buy It Now 40m 39s
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY If You Let Me Stay 12" US US $1.99 [0 bids]
42m 42s
Stanley Jordan If This Bass Could Only Talk CD - PRT 4608832 US $7.68 Buy It Now 49m 30s
PIGMEAT MARKHAM Chess LP IF You Cant Be Good Be CAREFUL US $19.00 Buy It Now 50m 24s
JOHNNY FOSTER NM This One Dime 45 If Heartaches Won Medals 018 Sun Down 7" US $19.96 Buy It Now 57m 38s
BRENDA LEE - If you love me / Gonna find me a bluebird Rare '64 GERMAN 7"+ PS US $24.99 [0 bids]
45rpm~McENTIRE,Reba~Little Rock/If Only You Knew?Vinyl 7" Record?MCA 52848?1986 US $1.90 Buy It Now 1h 7m
POGUES - IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD - CD NEW US $14.44 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Oriole 766 Billy West/West and Thomas - My Girl Has Eye Trouble/If My Baby Cooks US $26.98 Buy It Now 1h 12m
STING - IF ON A WINTER'S NIGHT... [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $6.93 Buy It Now 1h 12m
PIAREVARACIEN (BLR) - If no Sun - DIGIPACK TEMNOZOR PAGAN BEHEMOTH US $12.50 Buy It Now 1h 13m
THE RAVENS. IF YOU DIDN'T MEAN IT / SOMEDAY. 78. NATIONAL 9089 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Wilkins, Little David - Good Night Special/Let's Do Something(Even If..(45,1976) US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Tina Arena - IF I WAS A RIVER (Mexican Promo CD Single) US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Oriole 2637 Gene's Merrymakers - The Girl In The Little Green Hat / If I Ever US $69.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
MINDY MCCREADY - If I Don't Stay The Night (CD 1997) BMG BNA 07863 67504-2 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Tina Arena - IF I WAS A RIVER (US Promo CD Single) US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
WILLIE HIGHTOWER IF I HAD A HAMMER / IT'S TOO LATE 45 PROMO NM NORTHERN SOUL US $5.40 Buy It Now 1h 26m
KAZ JAMES - If They Knew (1 CD) [Sony BMG] US $4.48 Buy It Now 1h 32m
If You Love These Blues Play Em As - Bloomfield,Michael US $8.74 Buy It Now 1h 35m
KOOL & THE GANG "LADIES NIGHT / IF YOU FEEL LIKE DANCIN'" DE-LITE - 7" 45 VINYL US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
If I Can't Change Your Mind #1 [EP] by Sugar (CD, 1992) US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 36m
JONNA GAULT & HER SYMPHONOPOP SCENE WHAT IF THEY GAVE A WAR & NO ONE CAME 45 US $7.20 Buy It Now 1h 37m
JACKIE DAY IF I'D LOSE YOU / OH WHAT HEARTACHES 45 MODERN NORTHERN SOUL NM HEAR US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
78 MGM Skeets Yaney # 12361 If You Don't Love Me/Play Me That Old Song Again US $0.99 [0 bids]
Platters The - If I Didn't Care / True Lover 45 1961 VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
45 JOHN ANDERSON - IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT, JUST TO HOLD A LITTLE HAND US $1.48 Buy It Now 1h 46m
DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only remember My Name JAPAN 1st PRESS ORIG Psych NM US $24.99 [0 bids]
Music CD VERY BEST of CHER I Got You Babe If I Could Turn Back Time Half Breed US $3.00 [0 bids]
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister CD - Like New US $10.84 Buy It Now 1h 57m
If I Could Make a Living by Clay Walker Single(Cassette, Sep-1994, Giant (USA)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
ROLLING STONES GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! JAPAN ORIGINAL 7" 33 EP 17M-101 US $129.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Dave Matthews Band Everyday CD The Space Between If I Had It All I Did It Angel US $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 7m
If I Should Fall from Grace With God - Pogues New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shi US $15.55 Buy It Now 2h 9m
HUSH-IF YOU SMILE 1998 CD+2 BONUS VICTOR VICP-60233 (S.I.N.) US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
CD Single. Jennifer Lopez. J-Lo. IF YOU HAD MY LOVE. US $5.76 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Brandon Heath - What If We USA CD #AF04 US $4.19 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Odd Christmas Classical Lp WHAT IF MOZART Wrote Merry Little HAMPTON String DMM US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
PROMO CANADA 1983 45 RPM ZZ TOP /GIMME ALL YOUR LOVIN /IF I COULD ONLY FLAG US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Sheryl Crow - If It Makes You Happy (4 Track CD Single 1996) inc promo card US $4.04 Buy It Now 2h 51m
SKYBOMBERS IF YOU WANT TO BE THE ONE *** DIGIPAK CD SINGLE *** US $9.03 Buy It Now 2h 51m
If i Say Yes (Shep Pettibone Mix), Five Star, Good Vinyl US $10.45 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Pretenders For 007, The If There Was A Man (12") US $3.16 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Ron Moody & The Centaurs - The New Breed / If I Didn't Have A Dime 45 1969 VG+ US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Wilson Pickett - If You Need Me (2005) US $12.25 Buy It Now 3h 4m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME LOVE - SUZI QUATRO - RAK271 US $11.34 Buy It Now 3h 13m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - IF YOU FEEL LIKE DANCING - KOOL & THE GANG - DE801 US $11.34 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Patrick Simmons- If You Want A little Love / So Wrong -45rpm US $0.99 [0 bids]
JUST IF I / ALL ONE PEOPLE US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Fate - If Not For The Devil (2013) US $21.83 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Rocky Sharpe - If You Wanna Be Happy (2013) US $21.75 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Kenny Drew - If You Could See Me Now (2003) US $23.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
EVELYN CHAMPAGNE KING I Dont Know If Its Right 12" USA US $11.67 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Catch Me if You Can (2014) US $23.56 Buy It Now 3h 32m
"GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT" L`age d`or des Rolling Stones" Vol 6 LP Issued France US $21.08 [0 bids]
Explosivo! - If the Devil Had a Guitar (2014) US $15.82 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Czar - No One Is Alone If No One Is Alive (2014) US $16.83 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Prefab Sprout If You Don't Love Me 2 mixes Austrian CD Part 2 US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Prefab Sprout If You Don't Love Me Part 1 Uk CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Tommy Shaw Signed Promo What If Vinyl LP Remo Williams Styx Damn Yankees + Photo US $199.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
cd-single, Manic Street Preachers If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Nex US $5.75 Buy It Now 3h 54m
RUDY VALLEE* KITTY FROM KANSAS CITY/IF I HAD A GIRL LIKE YOU*V/G US $1.54 [0 bids]
SHAI / IF I EVER FALL IN LOVE US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Trash my dead - Even if our eyes meet while we eat - Japan CD - NEW US $17.95 Buy It Now 4h
Yanni - If I Could Tell You CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Chopin Liszt Strauss - Son In G Minor/La Lugubre Gondola/Son If F Major CD US $20.03 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Madison Violet - If I Could Love You CD US $14.60 Buy It Now 4h 11m
NORTHERN THE PASSIONS-IF YOU SEE MY BABY-pressing US $6.48 [0 bids]
SPILLER GROOVEJET_If This Ain't Love_used CD single CDS_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $9.04 Buy It Now 4h 20m
THE EMOTIONS SUNSHINE! CD SEALED IF04 US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
simple minds italian promo impossible to find! jim kerr if u like U2 DURAN DURAN US $55.99 [0 bids]
Willie Clayton - If Your Loving WasnT Good Enough To Keep Me-How I CD US $18.26 Buy It Now 4h 38m
IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMIN' I'D'VE BAKED A CAKE-sheet music - RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH US $22.72 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Paolo Fresu Dhafer Youssef World Music rare to find if u like rava bosso bollani US $34.99 [0 bids]
Tony Middleton - You Spoiled My Reputation / If I Could Write A Song - Abc - Par US $137.95 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Richard Dimples Fields - If It Aint One Thing Its Another / Mr Look So Good - Bo US $9.74 Buy It Now 4h 44m
LONDON GRAMMAR -IF YOU WAIT-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK E78 US $26.50 Buy It Now 4h 46m
annette peacock 4 emilia romagna if you love swallow bley haden cherry bowie US $54.99 [0 bids]
ERIC CLAPTON - IF I HAD POSSESSION OVER JUDGEMENT DAY - U.S. PROMO CD CARDSLEEVE US $4.33 Buy It Now 4h 55m
B(if)tek - Sound and Space MINT Promo 12" Vinyl -RARE BIFTEK Techno US $14.46 Buy It Now 5h 4m
B(if)tek - Wired For Sound MINT Promo 12" Vinyl -RARE BIFTEK US $14.46 Buy It Now 5h 4m
B(if)tek feat. Julie Cruise  wired for sound  12" VINYL RARE NEW Biftek US $14.46 Buy It Now 5h 4m
B(if)tek - We Think You're Dishy MINT Promo 12" Vinyl -RARE BIFTEK US $20.79 Buy It Now 5h 4m
B(if)tek - 2020 CD NEW / RARE - BIFTEK US $26.22 Buy It Now 5h 5m
B(if)tek - 2020 Double LP Vinyl RARE NEW Biftek US $26.22 Buy It Now 5h 5m
B(if)tek - Machines Work MINT Promo 12" Vinyl Oz Electronica RARE Ubin mix US $14.46 Buy It Now 5h 5m
JENNIFR LOPEZ - if you had my love 12" single Vinyl record R&B ship from JP US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 9m
Lloyd Price ~45~ No If's - No And's ~ 1960 ~ ABC 10102 US $6.95 Buy It Now 5h 10m
han bennink exclusive cd if u love monk rudd mengelberg lewis reijserger rivers US $54.99 [0 bids]
If I Were A Carpenter - Compilation CD - great condition US $3.49 [1 bids]
BOBBY TAYLOR & VANCOUVERS: I Am Your Man / If You Love Her (soul vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 5h 19m
THE REDDINGS - IF LOOKS COULD KILL - MINT POLYDOR RECORD 1985 US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
DIANA ROSS - IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER - 1992 CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE US $6.48 Buy It Now 5h 30m
michel petrucciani rare cd w dave holland tony williams if u like evans jarrett US $49.99 [0 bids]
CAROLYN CRAWFORD If You Move, You Lose MODERN SOUL R&B 12" (PHILLY INT) US $12.97 Buy It Now 5h 34m
GIBSON BROTHERS - 45 VINYL RECORD - QUE SERA MI VIDA (If You Should Go) US $4.07 Buy It Now 5h 34m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132959) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#178943) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458878) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011

Post a review of IF "If 4"