IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
2 by IF (2014-05-04)2 by IF (2014-05-04)
Imports
4 by If4 by If
Repertoire Records
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus by IFIf 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus by IF
IF
If 4 By If (2007-07-23)If 4 By If (2007-07-23)
Repertoire
SH84-12/9P51 UB40 : IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN SINGLE ADVERT 5X4" USD $5.45 Buy It Now 57m 13s
Columbia 4-38897 Sarah Vaughan Nice Work If You Can Get It & Goodnight My Love USD $4.88 Buy It Now 1h 46m
SIMPLY RED #1 song CD If You Don't Know me By Now 4 track SINGLE shine SUGAR DAD USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 30m
SH86-6/5P42 SINGLE ADVERT 11X4" ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK : IF YOU LEAVE USD $5.45 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Barry Manilow Reel to Reel Tape "If I Should Love Again" 3 3/4 Per Sec Arista USD $4.99 [1 bids]
REGINA "If You're Gonna Love Me" Columbia 4-43366, 45rpm White Label Promo, 1965 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
SUGAR - If I Can't Change Your Mind - Aus 4 tk promo CD single, 1993 Bob Mould USD $1.34 [0 bids]
U2 - If God Will Send His Angels (4:32) - UK (?) One Track Promo CD Single USD $29.95 Buy It Now 6h 11m
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS~IF THIS IS IT~COVER EX~4 TRACK 12" EX USD $4.09 [0 bids]
CHICAGO 18 cd GERMAN will you still love me 25 OR 6 TO 4 if she would faithful USD $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 19m
Hanson IF ONLY UK Import 4-trk Remixes CD Maxi Single Including CD-Rom Video USD $10.99 Buy It Now 13h 42m
Bangles of 4 45s In Your room Let It Go Walk Like An Egyptian if she knew what USD $6.00 Buy It Now 15h 20m
COLIN JAMES - IF YOU LEAN ON ME - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE - MINT USD $3.80 Buy It Now 16h 33m
Kevin Puts: Symphony No.4; To Touch The Sky; If I Were A Swan, Ba. 0093046758028 USD $17.86 Buy It Now 16h 46m
If The Shoe Fits Syreeta 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK MOTC4 MOTORCITY USD $16.27 Buy It Now 17h 7m
Chicago If You Leave Me Now - 4 Prong UK 7" vinyl single record SCBS4603 CBS USD $13.54 Buy It Now 17h 17m
PRINCE, "If I Was Your Girlfriend (4:54)"/same 12" SINGLE USD $10.00 Buy It Now 17h 19m
TENOR FLY, I'M SORRY IF I HURT YOUR FEELINGS, EX/EX, 4 Track, Promotional CD Si USD $1.35 [1 bids]
PATTI LABELLE If Only You Knew / I'll Never, Never Give Up 45rpm VG+ ZS4 04248 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 17h 39m
Sugar - If I Can't Change Your Mind 4-track cd single USD $4.07 [0 bids]
HYBRID 4 CDS WIDE ANGLE IF I SURVIVE GOLDEN GIRLS KINETIC WAY OUT WEST USD $1.35 [0 bids]
Stars and Sons If it's good for me 4 Track Promo Demo CD USD $2.03 Buy It Now 19h 31m
sting cd single."if i ever lose faith",4 tracks.1993.ex cond.incl live tracks.. USD $5.44 Buy It Now 19h 46m
4 NURSES GUIDING YOU NEW CD FIELDS OF GOLD, WIND BENEATH MY WINGS, IF YOU CAN + USD $4.20 Buy It Now 20h 28m
STING IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE 4 SONG EP SP-12132 USD $4.23 Buy It Now 21h 11m
Steve Green 4 cd Lord of the Dawn/Morning Star/Pleasures of King/If We Answer USD $24.98 Buy It Now 22h 39m
Ruben Studdard - WHAT IF [4 Versions] 12" Single NM USD $3.99 Buy It Now 22h 48m
Bob Dylan - Original Doberman Release 4 CD Set - If Your Memory Serves You Well USD $79.29 [0 bids]
Primal Scream If They Move Kill 'Em 4 Trk Promo 1998, William Holden, Darklands USD $10.89 Buy It Now 23h 30m
STING (THE POLICE) If You Love Somebody Single 12"4 Track Vinyl Record 1985 USD $24.73 [0 bids]
RIHANNA FEAT 4 TRACK CD IF IT'S LOVIN' YOU WANT FREE POST IN AUSTRALIA USD $4.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Lawrence 45 PS Go Away Little Girl/If You Love Her Tell Her So 4-42601 NM USD $5.00 [0 bids]
EZIO Deeper CD SINGLE Moonstruck Clowns If You Want 4 trks USED USD $2.02 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO THE CHICAGO STORY GREATEST IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 25 OR 6 TO 4 HARD HABIT USD $9.87 Buy It Now 1 day
FISHMONKEYMAN - IF I'VE TOLD YOU ONCE - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE - MINT USD $3.80 Buy It Now 1 day
45 RPM RECORD -BOBBY DARIN 4 SONG EP RECORD -IF A MAN ANSWERS -CAPITOL 1962 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 4 Trk CD Single) USD $4.76 Buy It Now 1 day
EUROVISION 2006 SWITZERLAND-SIX4ONE-IF WE ALL GIVE A LITTLE-CD-R PRESS PAK USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Sheryl Crow 4 Track CD Single If It Makes You Happy 1996 USD $2.03 [0 bids]
GUY LOMBARDO mack the knife/if it hadn't been for you capitol 4-1843 33 USD $3.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Danielle Greenwood - If I Am Cruel 4 trk CD single USD $1.50 [0 bids]
Fracture 4 & Capslock ?- If It's Not Broken, Break It (HARDCORE)(VG+ COND) USD $8.16 Buy It Now 2 days
Gabrielle If I Really Cared 4 Track Cd Single USD $4.76 Buy It Now 2 days
17/7/93PGN08 ADVERT 4X11" THE FAT LADY SINGS : IF I HELD YOU IN MY ARMS AGAIN USD $6.81 Buy It Now 2 days
If I Had a Hammer : The Folk Songs of our Land (4 CD Set) Reader's Digest Music USD $9.90 Buy It Now 2 days
KING OF THE HILL If I Say CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic, Purple Haze Live And I Do U USD $4.76 Buy It Now 2 days
WET WET WET - IF I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.71 Buy It Now 2 days
R. KELLY - If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time (UK 4 Tk Enh CD Single) USD $4.07 Buy It Now 2 days
Kate Winslet: What If (Deleted 4 track Enhanced CD Single) USD $4.07 Buy It Now 2 days
AS IF- The Channel 4 TV Soundtrack 2-CD (2001) Coldplay/Fragma/Kylie Minogue USD $2.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ANDREW BROWN - IF WE TRY - 4 BROTHERS (NORTHERN SOUL - 45 RPM) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MGM 78rpm BILLY ECKSTINE Body & Soul / If Love Is Trouble That's What I'm Lookn4 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
TONY MOORE cd single no case IF THIS IS CALLED LOVE 4 TRACK used USD $3.80 Buy It Now 2 days
M- 4 LPs Billie Holiday Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do Box Set Columbia 90-5652 USD $30.00 [0 bids]
STING 7" IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY-ANOTHER brazil ID# 35694 PICTURE SLEEVE-1985 A USD $28.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago 2x45s 25 Or 6 To 4 / If She Would Have Been Faithful Picture Sleeve USD $0.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Taiwan 4-trks CD w/OBI SEALED! Whitney Houston George Michael If I Told You That USD $100.00 Buy It Now 3 days
TONIC IF YOU COULD ONLY SEE CD SINGLE 4 TRACKS USD $3.18 Buy It Now 3 days
Bob Dylan,If Not For You, Song Lyrics Typography, Art Print, A4/A3 USD $5.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Bob Dylan,If Not For You, Song Lyrics Typography, Art Print, A4/A3 USD $10.89 Buy It Now 3 days
GERI HALLIWELL - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster - CD Single - 4 Tracks - 2001-CD2 USD $5.38 Buy It Now 3 days
If-4 UK prog jazz cd remastered USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Noel Gallagher - If I Had A Gun... - Funky Art Print - A4 Size USD $8.18 Buy It Now 3 days
4 x Melanie C - Mel - CD Singles Job Lot - Turn to You, Goin Down, If That Were USD $10.89 Buy It Now 3 days
LIGHTNING SEEDS.. WHAT IF.... 4 track CD USD $1.36 Buy It Now 3 days
BLACK MAGIC 9204 GENE ALLISON & R.SHELTON "You Can Make It If U Try" NASHVILLE 4 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SNOOP DOGG PRESENTS DOGGYS ANGELS-BABY IF YOU'RE READY (4 VERS)-TVT2132-0 NM 12" USD $4.98 Buy It Now 3 days
STING If You Love Somebody set them free 4track 12" USD $10.90 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only Remember My Name Reel To 4 Track 7 1/2 IPS NEW !!!! USD $5.50 [5 bids]
Aretha & 4 Tops 45 w/PS If Ever A Love There USD $6.75 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only Remember My Name 2005 4xLP 45 RPM SSided SEALED! USD $425.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Got7 Music 4th Mini Album Sealed KPOP CD Mad If you do Horizontal Ver+Photocard USD $11.98 Buy It Now 4 days
MCALMONT Either 12" 4 Track B/w Edit, You Made Me And As If I'd Known Live (hut4 USD $4.28 Buy It Now 4 days
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Said USD $2.85 Buy It Now 4 days
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" 4 Track White Label Brown Eyes Mix, Slow Sex Mix, G USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTION PICTURES (INDIE GROUP) If All Things Were Never Said 12" 4 Track B/w Blue USD $4.28 Buy It Now 4 days
DODGY I Need Another 12" 4 Track Dj Promo B/w Never Again, If I Fall And Hendre USD $4.28 Buy It Now 4 days
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" 4 Track Band Of Gypsies Mix B/w Judge Jules And USD $4.28 Buy It Now 4 days
OBSESSION (DANCE) If I Can't Have You 12" 4 Track Saturday Mix B/w Original Mix, USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" 4 Track Main Mix Promo B/w Junior's X Beat Mix, Smok USD $4.28 Buy It Now 4 days
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number 12" 4 Track Test Pressing In Title Sticker USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
MELI'SA MORGAN If You Can Do It I Can Too 12" 4 Track Extended Version B/w Radio USD $5.71 Buy It Now 4 days
3 ACTION Don't Lose That Stealin' Feelin' 12" 4 Track Featuring If I Only Had Th USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Said USD $4.28 Buy It Now 4 days
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" 4 Track B/w Hard Times, If You Don't Want My Love A USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
TONY TONI TONE If I Had No Loot 12" 4 Track Featuring Extended Version, Jeep Mix USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" 4 Track True Mix Radio Edit B/w Pumpin D USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
AL B SURE If I'm Not Your Lover 12" 4 Track 12" Remix B/w Lp Version, R USD $9.25 Buy It Now 4 days
NSP AND DAVID CAMACHO FEATURING JON JUNIOR We Can Make It If We Try 12" 4 Track USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" 4 Track Remix B/w As Time Goes By, Isla USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Club Mix, Piano Version USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (90'S GROUP) If 60's Were 90's 12" 4 Track Pm Dawn Part Of Life USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" 4 Track B/w Instrumental, If Only For One Night A USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track Or USD $4.28 Buy It Now 4 days
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track Lp Version Radio Edit B/w Soft Touch Mix Ra USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number CD 4 Track 100 Per Cent Radio Mix B/w Toon USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
MELANIE C If That Were Me CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic Version, Video And When You're USD $5.71 Buy It Now 4 days
BROWNSTONE 5 Miles To Empty CD 4 Track B/w Cut Clever Mix, If You Love Me And Gr USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
CUTTING CREW If That's The Way You Want It CD 4 Track B/w No Bad Thing, Been In USD $6.80 Buy It Now 4 days
LP 2
~ USD $13.33
CD if4
~ USD $14.49
More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"