IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]
Sunrise Records
JON SECADA If You Go CD 4 Tracks, Orig Version/Spanish Version/Spanglish Versio USD $5.15 Buy It Now 1h 32m
KANE What If CD 15 Track Album Including 4 Bonus Tracks, 82876624272 (Disc Ex- USD $7.88 Buy It Now 1h 36m
LEMAR Someone Should Tell You CD 4 Tracks, Orig Version/Kardinal Beats Remix/If USD $5.15 Buy It Now 1h 48m
AN1-Blink If You Want FOR 3D iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
AN2-Blink If You Want FOR 3D iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
LIGHTNING SEEDS What If CD 4 Tracks, Orig/Leuroj Slo N Easy Mix/Never/The Crunc USD $5.15 Buy It Now 1h 52m
AN1-Blink If You Want FOR 3D iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
AN2-Blink If You Want FOR 3D iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
4KaST Any Weather CD Miss My Lovin' Because I Love You The Rose If I Could USD $6.45 Buy It Now 2h 42m
JAYA if you leave me now 12" RECORD 4 MIXES STEVIE B FREESTYLE 1989 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
George Strait CD's Lot of 4 new unopened 7's-Livin it up-If you ain't lovin'-FCC USD $18.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Rare 4 Trk PROMO CD ** KRAYZIE BONE ~ If They Only Knew ~ USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 26m
MN8 If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Tracks, Radio Mix/Absolute 12 Inch Mix/Club Mix/ USD $5.15 Buy It Now 7h 5m
STING If I Ever Lose My Faith In You CD 4 Tracks Inc All This Time/Mad About Yo USD $5.15 Buy It Now 8h 17m
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World CD 4 Tracks, Radio Edit/D Wynn USD $5.15 Buy It Now 8h 19m
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD With Postcards, 4 Tracks, Orig Version/ USD $5.15 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Alexandre O'Neal : If You were Here Tonight Single Advert 11x4 USD $6.07 Buy It Now 9h 44m
EZIO Deeper CD SINGLE Moonstruck Clowns If You Want 4 trks MINT *starcomed1 USD $4.78 Buy It Now 10h 8m
MARC DORSEY If You Really Wanna Know CD SINGLE 4 trks USED *starcomed1 USD $2.39 Buy It Now 12h 20m
MELANIE C - IF THAT WERE ME (4 TRACK CD WITH VIDEO) (REF B4) USD $4.54 Buy It Now 13h 39m
EZIO Deeper CD SINGLE Moonstruck Clowns If You Want 4 trks USED USD $2.39 Buy It Now 13h 46m
CD/Japan- CARAVAN If I Could Do It +4 bonus trk w/OBI mini-LP RARE LIMITED ver. USD $14.75 Buy It Now 15h 10m
DEZZI D. You Can Get It If You Really Want 12" 4 Tracks, Shaun Imrei Mix/Edit/O USD $13.65 Buy It Now 15h 23m
NANCY WILSON-IF I HAD MY WAY 4-VESION U.S PROMO DJ CD C23 # USD $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 42m
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" Ps, 4 Tracks Inc Slow Sex/Go Go City/Master Mixes USD $13.65 Buy It Now 15h 49m
Teenage Doll & If You Can't Rock Me Ricky Nelson 4 Track EP45 Imperial IMP154 G USD $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 17m
ONE INCH PUNCH If 12" Ps, 4 Tracks, Orig/Invisible Pair Of Hands Remix/Justin T USD $13.65 Buy It Now 16h 22m
POGUES If I Should Fall From Grace With God 12" Ps, 4 Tracks, If I Should Fall USD $15.16 Buy It Now 16h 28m
Soul 45 LITTLE MILTON If That Ain't A Reason (For Your Woman To Leave You) on 4 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 16h 37m
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" Ps, 4 Tracks Inc Hard Times/If You Don'T Want My L USD $13.65 Buy It Now 16h 55m
GAYLE & GILLIAN * MAD IF YA DON'T * UK 4 TRK CD * MEGA RARE! * NEIGHBOURS USD $27.32 Buy It Now 16h 55m
Mama's And Papa's 4 lot If You Can Believe, Monterey, Cass - Dream, Doherty USD $29.99 Buy It Now 18h 38m
All Saints 1.9.7.5. ?- If You Wanna Party (I Found Lovin') UK 4 Track Maxi CD USD $2.05 [0 bids]
UB40 x 4 singles 7"- Red red wine,if it happens again,so here i am,please don't USD $3.02 [0 bids]
PHIL COLLINS-"IF LEAVING ME IS EASY" 1981 U.K. 4 TRK 7" EP IN POSTER PACKAGE USD $8.99 [0 bids]
NO 4.CD SINGLE..M&S PRESENTS.THE GIRL NEXT DOOR.SALSOUL NUGGET.IF U WANNA USD $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
CHRISTOPHER WILLIAMS -IF YOU SAY 4 TRACK PROMO SINGLE GIANT RECORDS-1995 CD USD $8.99 [0 bids]
k.d. lang cd-single IF I WERE YOU (4v) USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Caravan If I Could Do It All Over SEALED 2001 Rem UK CD w/ 4 Bns Trx Jethro Tull USD $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ED KUEPPER - IF I HAD A TICKET 4 TRACK CD- 1994-AUSTRALIA (THE SAINTS) USD $9.54 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 If god will send his angels 4 track CD EP USD $7.57 Buy It Now 1 day
DODGY - If You're Thinking Of Me (UK 4 Tk 1996 CD Single) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EDWYN COLLINS Keep On Burning CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w If You Could Love Me In Time USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
DIANA ROSS If We Hold On Together CD 4 Track Part 1 In Z Pack B/w Work That Body USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Streets Of Philadelphia CD 4 Track B/w If I Should Fall Behind USD $9.24 Buy It Now 1 day
EAST 17 FEATURING GABRIELLE If You Ever CD 4 Track Smoove Mix 7" Version B/w Ruf USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CELINE DION Think Twice CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Le Monde Est Stone, If Love Is USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BENNET If You Met Me Then You'd Like Me CD 4 Track B/w Oh Yeah,back To Back At B USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
A1 Summertime Of Our Lives CD 4 Track B/w Metro Club Mix, If You Were My Girl An USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
DODGY If You're Thinking Of Me CD 4 Track UK A&m 1996 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE 5 Miles To Empty CD 4 Track B/w Cut Clever Mix, If You Love Me And Gr USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
DINA CARROLL Only Human CD 4 Track B/w Run To You,if I Had A Dream And Same Old USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track, Lp Edit, R&b Mix, Uno Clio Pure Bliss Dub USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
EDWYN COLLINS A Girl Like You CD 4 Track Digi Pack B/w If You Could Love Me Acou USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Carl Smith, If You Saw Her Through My Eyes, '1B/1B' Columbia 4-45648 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM CITY FILM CLUB If I Die I Die CD 4 Track B/w Pissboy, When I Sleep And Tee USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BARE JR Brainwasher CD 4 Track Promo In Card Sleeve Featuring Brainwasher, If Yo USD $10.91 Buy It Now 1 day
3RD STOREE If Ever CD 4 Track So So Def Remix Without Rap With Info Stickered Ca USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BLAMELESS Breathe CD 4 Track B/w What If,tomorrow You Might Be Dead And Town Clo USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ATOMIC KITTEN If You Come To Me CD 4 Track B/w So Right, Feels So Good And Feels USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CHRIS BRAIDE If I Hadn't Got You CD 4 Track Radio Mix B/w T Empo Master Club Mix USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BALLROOM Take It CD 4 Track B/w Edit,her Sweet Saliva And If I UK Mother 1997 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track Part 1 B/w Love Is Back, If You Fe USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CUTTING CREW If That's The Way You Want It CD 4 Track B/w No Bad Thing, Been In USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CELINE DION Call The Man CD 4 Track Radio Edit Green Sleeve B/w Medley, If We Co USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ELTON JOHN If The River Can Bend CD 4 Track Edit B/w Don't Let The Sun Go Down O USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track B/w Love Is Back, If You Feel Like USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
2 PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD 4 Track Soulpower Hip Hop Radio Mix B/w USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me CD 4 Track DUTCH Virgin 1995 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track Lp Version Radio Edit B/w Soft Touch Mix Ra USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ALICE MARTINEAU If I Fall CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Single Version, Standard Ver USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Huey Lewis & News "If This Is It" 4 Song UK EP w/ "I Want A New Drug" 1984 MINT USD $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Wailing Souls,NEW CD Single,4 mixes,If I Were You USD $5.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Uni Records The Yellow Payges Vanilla On My Mind/Would You Mind If-Choose 4 #105 USD $15.00 [0 bids]
USD $20.00 Buy It Now
BLACK & JAY Affiliated 4 Life IF YA SCARED Rare SEALED G-Funk LP Tenn HIP HOP USD $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 4 Tk CD Single) USD $4.54 Buy It Now 1 day
DUBSTAR ~ 4 TRACK CD ~ NOT SO MANIC NOW # IF IT ISNT YOU # SONG No9 # SADNESS USD $2.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Ankie Bagger ~ If You're Alone Tonight (4 versions) (Sweden) Sonet / 1991 CD) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
C. WRIGHT- IF YOU DIDN'T COME TO THE PARTY 4 MIXES. MIAMI HIP HOP WRIGHT PROD. USD $29.99 [0 bids]
K. D. LANG You're OK / If I Were You mixes - 4 track 1996 UK CO CDS USD $2.79 Buy It Now 1 day
ANDREW BROWN You Ought To Be Ashamed If We Try 4 Brothers Soul Blues 45 VG+ USD $9.99 [0 bids]
1985 STING "IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE" 4 TRACK 12" RECORD VG/G USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kim Appleby - Don't Worry, G.L.A.D., Mama, If You Cared 4 CD lot USD $7.50 [0 bids]
USD $12.00 Buy It Now
Soul 45 Licoln Chase The 4 Most & Mat Methew'S Quintet - If I Were A Countryside USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ROD STEWART If We Fall In Love Tonight (1996 PROMO UK 4-track CD } USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DANE COOK--HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED--24 TOPIC CD--4 TOPIC DVD USD $1.95 [0 bids]
USD $2.95 Buy It Now
MC 900 Ft Jesus If I Only Had A Brain 4-track CD Single USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JARS OF CLAY 4-CD LOT= If I Left The Zoo/ 11th Hour/ Furthermore/ Who We Are... USD $14.99 [0 bids]
USD $20.00 Buy It Now
LP 2 ~ USD $18.44
CD if 2 ~ USD $13.56
CD if 3 ~ USD $13.56
CD if4 ~ USD $14.74

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132959) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#178943) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458878) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011

Post a review of IF "If 4"