IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
Vinyl$25.00 (used)
2 by IF (2014-05-04)2 by IF (2014-05-04)
Imports
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus by IFIf 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus by IF
IF
4 by If4 by If
Repertoire Records

THEAUDIENCE - If You Can't Do It When You're Young... (UK 4 Tk CD Single) USD $4.33 Buy It Now
Reel to reel tape 3 3/4 ips The Rolling Stones ?- Got Live If You Want It! USD $40.00 [0 bids]
The Stylistics - You'll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart) 4-track ep USD $3.71 [0 bids]
53m 23s
DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only Remember My Name 2005 4xLP 45 RPM SSided SEALED! USD $425.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
MOCKERS:Don't Let Me Down-Don't You Know 4:36-Tequila-If You Want Me-US. Tyro EP USD $348.98 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Nas If I Ruled The World 4 Track CD Single 90s Hip Hop Rap USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Earl Scruggs If I'd Only Come And Gone 4-45919 COLUMBIA 45 RPM DJ COPY USD $9.99 [0 bids]
SPILLER_Groovejet_if This Ain't Love_used CD-s_ships from AUS!_zz3_K4 USD $9.19 Buy It Now 8h 52m
(George Michael) Wham The Best Of If You Were There 4Tr Promo Card CD SAMPCM4810 USD $17.61 [0 bids]
LONNIE GORDON_If I Have To Stand Alone_used VINYL 12" inch_ships from AUS!_shM4R USD $22.98 Buy It Now 10h 46m
SNIFF 'N' THE TEARS Moment Of Weakness / If I Knew Then 4 USD $7.62 Buy It Now 11h 23m
TERRAPLANE IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES UK 12" P/S & POSTER TERRAQ4 EPIC 1986 ROCK USD $24.81 Buy It Now 13h 12m
Gwilym Simcock - If The Sea Replied - Gwilym Simcock CD R4VG USD $14.98 Buy It Now 13h 26m
SHERYL CROW lot 4x CD if it makes you happy TUESDAY NIGHT MUSIC CLUB debut GLOBE USD $15.99 Buy It Now 13h 57m
EUROVISION 2006 SWITZERLAND-SIX4ONE-IF WE ALL GIVE A LITTLE-CD-R PRESS PAK USD $11.00 Buy It Now 15h 3m
WET WET WET IF I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN CD2 CD SINGLE + POSTCARDS 4K USD $3.15 Buy It Now 16h 59m
J./MORONEY,D. HOLLOWAY - DIE ROSENKRANZSONATEN H.I.F. BIBER 2 CD 4 TRACKS NEW+ USD $13.87 Buy It Now 18h 33m
BLACK & JAY Affiliated 4 Life IF YA SCARED Rare MINT SEALED G-Funk Tenn HIP HOP USD $11.99 Buy It Now 18h 50m
SPRING KING Tell Me If You Like To PHOTO Print POSTER Band Detroit The 1975 001 USD $5.26 Buy It Now 19h 21m
Claudja Barry (2) 12"s UK IF I DO IT TO YOU / UP ALL NIGHT & Secret Affair 4 Mix USD $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 19m
The Beatles If I Fell,Tell me Why,... 4 songs 7" 45 Capitol Green Label Mexico USD $11.96 Buy It Now 21h 27m
45 RPM 7" Record Huey Lewis & The News If This Is It & Change Of Heart VS4 42803 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 44m
BILLIE HOLIDY Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 4x LP Box EX 1975 Columbia w/ Book USD $20.00 Buy It Now 22h 33m
BILLIE HOLIDAY Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 4x LP Box EX 1975 Columbia w Book USD $20.00 Buy It Now 22h 42m
DAUGHTER Not To Disappear PHOTO Print POSTER Band If You Leave Ben Howard 001 USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
SUZI QUATRO 4 Letter Words/Aggro-Phobia If U Knew/Rock Hard 3 CD 6 Titles 2 on 1 USD $41.98 Buy It Now 1 day
PROMO Freestyle 12" Jaya "If You Leave Me Now" 4 Mixes LMR 1989 VG+ USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Daughter If You Leave vinyl LP album record UK CAD3301 4AD 2013 USD $29.73 Buy It Now 1 day
Terraplane If That's What It Takes UK 7" vinyl single record TERRA4 EPIC 1987 USD $12.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicago If You Leave Me Now - 4 Prong 7" vinyl single record UK SCBS4603 CBS USD $12.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Robert Plant If I Were A Carpenter UK 7" vinyl single record FATE4 FONTANA USD $16.07 Buy It Now 1 day
Odyssey If You're Lookin' For A Way Out - 4-Prong 7" vinyl single record UK USD $13.59 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL McDONALD IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES CASSETTE WB 23703-4 1982 USD $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS Japan PROMO CD No.4 IF YOU TOLERATE more available MANICS USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
16/1/93PGN08 IAN MCNABB : IF LOVE WAS LIKE GUITARS ADVERT 4X11" TOUR DATES USD $6.21 Buy It Now 1 day
16/3/91 Pgn14 Advert: Fishmonkeyman if I Told You Once The New Single 4x11 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 1 day
17/7/93PGN08 ADVERT 4X11" THE FAT LADY SINGS : IF I HELD YOU IN MY ARMS AGAIN USD $6.21 Buy It Now 1 day
2/5/92Pgn04 THE CURE : I DON'T CARE IF MONDAY'S BLUE ADVERT 4X11" USD $6.21 Buy It Now 1 day
21/1/95PGN18 SINGLE ADVERT 4X11" WILDHEARTS : IF LIFE IS LIKE A LOVE BANK USD $6.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Melanie C (Spice Girls) - If That Were Me - Deleted 4 track Enhanced CD USD $6.19 Buy It Now 1 day
4/3/95PGN65 ALBUM ADVERT 7X5" SMALL FACTORY : FOR IF YOU CANNOT FLY USD $6.21 Buy It Now 1 day
4/5/91 Pgn60 Advert: Sfs i Dont Even Know If I Should Call You Baby 3x11 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 1 day
4/5/91PN60 ADVERT: SFS I DONT EVEN KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL YOU BABY 3X11 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 1 day
4/8/90 Pgn06 Advert: Lenny Kravitz Single let Love Rule B/w If 6 Were 9 7x5 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Wet wet wet If I never see you again 4 track 1997 CD single USD $0.61 [0 bids]
If-If 4 CD NEW USD $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Sa USD $3.10 [0 bids]
Steve Lawrence"Go Away Little Girl/If you Love Her tell her So"45 record 4-42601 USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1 day
GIVE PEACE A CHANCE IF BULLETS WERE FLOWERS PICTURE SIZE A4 8.27" X 11.69" USD $4.90 Buy It Now 1 day
johnny cash & june carter 7" 45 if i were a carpenter/cause.... 4-45064 vg++ USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Primal Scream If They Move Kill 'Em 4 Trk Promo 1998, William Holden, Darklands USD $9.92 Buy It Now 1 day
AL B SURE If I'm Not Your Lover 12" VINYL UK Warner Bros 1988 4 Track 12" Remix USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me 12" VINYL UK Setanta 1995 4 Track In Die Cut USD $13.64 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" VINYL Dutch Bmg 1994 4 Track Radio Edit USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
KIM WILDE If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Mca 1993 4 Track Kelsey Mix B/W Dub USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number 12" VINYL UK 4 Track Test Pressing In USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" VINYL UK Virgin 4 Track B/w Hard Times, If You USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
MELI'SA MORGAN If You Can Do It I Can Too 12" VINYL US Capitol 1987 4 Track USD $5.20 Buy It Now 2 days
DODGY I Need Another 12" VINYL UK A&M 1993 4 Track Dj Promo B/W Never Again, If USD $3.90 Buy It Now 2 days
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" VINYL UK Pulse 8 1994 4 Track Band Of Gypsies USD $3.90 Buy It Now 2 days
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" VINYL UK Tmrc 1991 4 Track White Label Brown Eyes USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
TONY TONI TONE If I Had No Loot 12" VINYL UK Polydor 1993 4 Track Featuring USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
OBSESSION (DANCE) If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Almighty 1993 4 Track USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
MCALMONT Either 12" VINYL UK Hut 1994 4 Track B/w Edit, You Made Me And As If USD $3.90 Buy It Now 2 days
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL UK Warner Bros 1995 4 Track Main Mix Promo USD $3.90 Buy It Now 2 days
BLUES 45 RPM - ANDREW BROWN - 4 BROTHERS 48446 - "IF WE TRY/YOU OUGHT...ASHAMED" USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Olivia Newton John If Not For You - 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK 7N.25543 PYE USD $13.59 Buy It Now 2 days
14 ALBUM ADVERT 12X4 JOHN COUGAR: NOTHIN' MATTERS ANDWHAT IF IT DID USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
EUSEBE If Masser Says 12" VINYL UK Mamas Yard 1995 4 Track 7" Edit Remix By Bbg USD $2.59 Buy It Now 2 days
FISH MONKEY MAN If I've Told You Once 12" VINYL UK Warner 1991 4 Track B/W Air USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
TAMPERER FEATURING MAYA If You Buy This Record 12" VINYL UK Pepper 1998 4 Track USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
LUCIANA If You Want 12" VINYL UK Chrysalis 1994 4 Mixes With Delta Con Baixo USD $3.90 Buy It Now 2 days
ONLY IN THE DARK If You Truly Love Me 12" VINYL UK Profile 1990 4 Track Club USD $2.59 Buy It Now 2 days
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL US Warner Bros 1995 4 Track Promo (Proa7932) USD $3.90 Buy It Now 2 days
JUNIOR DUNN If You Leave Me Now 12" VINYL Hardcore 4 Track B/W You Should Have USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
DON JACK & THE DESIGN Back Chat 12" VINYL UK Private 1987 4 Track B/w If This USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
MOTHERS (90'S GROUP) Even If We Lose 12" VINYL UK Elektra 4 Track Promo (Sam712) USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
J.J. If This Is Love 12" VINYL Dutch Cbs 1991 4 Track B/W Denim And Blue, If USD $3.90 Buy It Now 2 days
SUGAR - If I Can't Change Your Mind - 1992 USA 4 TRACK CD USD $0.93 [0 bids]
Red Flag If I Ever 4 mixes US 12" USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MC 900 Ft. Jesus But If You Go Europe 12" 4 mixes USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" VINYL UK Big Bang 1996 4 Track True Mix USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" VINYL UK Cbs 1989 4 Track Remix B/W As USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" VINYL UK Epic 1986 4 Track B/W Instrumental, If USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2 days
Squeeze 33rpm 5-1/4" If I Didn't Love You (Rock) 1980 A&M 1616-S USD $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
78RPM Vocalion 4929 Lawrence Welk, If I Hadn't Met U/ I Paid 4 the Lie I Told E- USD $8.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Symphony No.4 If I Were A Swan To Touch The Sky - K. Puts (CD Used Very Good) USD $15.23 Buy It Now 2 days
[GOT7]4 albums set/Flight departure : Fly 2 versions+If you do Mad 2 versions USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
New kids on the block NKOTB If you go away 4 track 1991 CD single USD $6.19 [0 bids]
Joblot 4 Kylie CASSETTES Kids/Finer Feelings/Little more Time/If you were with USD $12.40 [0 bids]
Edwyn Collins If you could love me 4 track CD single USD $1.23 [0 bids]
Embrace - If You've Never Been - A4 Photo Print USD $3.71 Buy It Now 2 days
KIM WILDE, IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU, VG/EX, 4 Track, Promotional CD Single, Card Slee USD $1.23 [0 bids]
LIGHTNING SEEDS - What If... (UK Ltd Ed 4 Trk CD Single Pt 2) USD $4.33 Buy It Now 2 days
Kim Wilde: If I can't have you 12" vinyl record 4a USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Brenda K. Starr: If you could read my mind 12" vinyl record 4a USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
P J and Duncan If I Give You My Number 4 Track CD & Poster. Ant & Dec USD $1.24 [0 bids]
Underworld If Rah 4 Track CD Single in Card Sleeve USD $11.16 Buy It Now 2 days
CHER 4 CDs - BELIEVE- IT's a MAN'S WORLD - If I Could Turn Back Time- LOVE HURTS USD $14.50 Buy It Now 2 days
DODGY - If You're Thinking Of Me (UK 4 Trk 1996 CD Single) USD $3.09 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"