IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

Repertoire 2010
What Did I Say About TWhat Did I Say About T
Repertoire 2008
RON FRANCOIS - IF YOU LOVE ME 7" VINYL PROMO US $8.48 Buy It Now 33m 49s
Lorna Asher- If You (Would Only Call)/ Fu- Manchu/ Reggae 7" US $13.58 Buy It Now 34m 39s
ROLLING STONES Got Live If You Want It 8 track tape London Original RARE US $19.88 Buy It Now 35m 17s
AC/DC If You Want Blood LP Vinyl NM Cover VG++ US $16.99 Buy It Now 36m 19s
O.M.D. - IF YOU LEAVE - 45rpm + FREE P/S* (MS4) US $0.99 Buy It Now 36m 32s
DAMAGE SO WHAT IF I CD SINGLE US $10.18 Buy It Now 36m 33s
Nada Surf - If I Had A Hi-fi NEW CD US $12.41 Buy It Now 36m 36s
Soul 45 Jackie Moore - Sweet Charlie Babe / If On Atlantic 7" 2 US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 32s
Soul 45 Jackie Moore - Sweet Charlie Babe / If On Atlantic Recording Corp. US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 32s
Soul 45 Clarence Carter - Lonesomest Lonesome / If You Can'T Beat 'Em On 7" 9 US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 32s
Soul 45 Clarence Carter - Lonesomest Lonesome / If You Can'T Beat 'Em On Atla 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 32s
Soul 45 Clarence Carter - Lonesomest Lonesome / If You Can'T Beat 'Em 7" 8 US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 32s
Soul 45 Glady'S Knight & The Pips - If You Gonna Leave (Just Leave) / Help Me Ma US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 32s
Soul 45 Four Tops - You Keep Running Away / If You Don'T Want My Love On Motown US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 32s
Soul 45 Chi-Lites Yes I'm Ready (If I don't get to go) / Have you seen her on Br US $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 32s
8 TRACK TAPE BARRY MANILOW IF I SHOULD LOVE AGAIN(TESTED) US $3.00 Buy It Now 37m 54s
Ian Matthews - If You Saw Thro My Eyes NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 38m 27s
BOBBY DARIN- IF A MAN ANSWERS/TRUE TRUE LOVE 45 RPM US $5.00 Buy It Now 38m 48s
Cheryl Lynn - If You'll Be True To Me 45 rpm Vinyl Columbia NM 1981 US $5.00 Buy It Now 40m 28s
Bad Company - If You Needed Somebody [Single] 1990 Cassette Rock US $1.99 Buy It Now 41m 36s
DAVID KERSH the need / if i never stop loving you NEW OLD STOCK RECORD 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 3s
GEORGE STRAIT WHICH SIDE OF THE GLASS / If you can do anything else NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 3s
JOHN BERRY i will , if you will / love is everything NEW OLD STOCK RECORD 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 3s
FAITH HILL IF MY HEART HAD WINGS / IT WILL BE ME new old stock 45 record US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 3s
Rock Promo NM! 45 If I Believe in Rock And Roll (Stereo) / I Believe in Rock And US $5.00 Buy It Now 43m 20s
Rock Promo NM! 45 Lighthouse If There Ever Was A Time / Eight Miles High on RCA US $5.00 Buy It Now 43m 20s
Rock Promo NM! 45 Johnny Tillotson if You Wouldn't Be My Lady (Mono) / If You Wo US $5.00 Buy It Now 43m 20s
Pad Anthony- If It Isn't Love/ Jammys Records/ Reggae 7" US $13.58 Buy It Now 43m 47s
Wondermints - Mind If We Make Love To You NEW CD US $12.41 Buy It Now 44m 4s
OTIS CLAY IF I COULD REACH OUT 45 HI MEMPHIS NORTHERN SOUL US $9.99 Buy It Now 45m 47s
It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing, New Music US $4.23 Buy It Now 46m 18s
Ian Matthews - If You Saw Thro' My Eyes - Vertigo VEL-1002 - 1971 LP US $20.92 Buy It Now 47m 8s
RUBY TURNER - IF YOUR READY (COME GO WITH ME) 7" VINYL PS US $6.78 Buy It Now 47m 12s
TURBINE: Don't Mind if I Should US $1.00 Buy It Now 47m 35s
Lonnie Gordon - If I Have To Stand Alone NEW CD US $13.04 Buy It Now 53m 29s
MANFRED MANN - IF YOU GOTTA GO, GO NOW 7" US $10.18 Buy It Now 54m 1s
Rock Promo 45 Raiders - (If I Had It To Do All Over Again, I'D Do It) All Over Y US $5.00 Buy It Now 54m 33s
Rock Promo NM! 45 Beverly Hill Blues Band If I Can Just Get Through Tonight / If US $5.00 Buy It Now 54m 33s
Rock Promo 45 The Rose Garden - Here'S Today / If My World Falls Through On Atco US $5.00 Buy It Now 54m 33s
CLAY WALKER CD SAY NO MORE If You Ever Feel Like Loving Me Again,I Love It, Real US $0.01 [0 bids]
55m 2s
KIM WATER w/ O.C. SMITH if I didn't Care 1992 PROMO Radio DJ CD single USA OC US $24.99 Buy It Now 55m 3s
Arthur Prysock 7" 45 HEAR R&B SOUL If I Were Young Again Save Your Love For Me US $6.00 Buy It Now 55m 25s
GEORGE HAMILTON IV teen 45 Only One Love / If I Possessed A Printing Press NM US $10.00 Buy It Now 56m 11s
If We Shout Loud Enough [LP/DVD] by Double Dagger (Vinyl, Apr-2013, Thrill... US $23.00 Buy It Now 56m 15s
Rolling Stones - GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! US Sealed EP RSD2013 US $24.99 Buy It Now 58m 49s
Rock Promo 45 Bonnie Tyler - If You Were A Woman (And I Was A Man) / If You Were US $5.00 Buy It Now 59m 50s
Rock Promo 45 Grin - If I Were A Song / See What A Love Can Do On Spindizzy US $5.00 Buy It Now 59m 51s
Bread The Sound of Bread inc Make it With You Diary If Cassette Tape - TESTED US $8.50 Buy It Now 1h 2m
And I Love Her b/w If I Fell The Beatles 45 Capitol 5235 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
J. GALE GAYMON (IF YOU) STUDY LONG 12" US $36.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
JON GAILMOR-GONNA DIE WITH A SMILE IF IT KILLS ME-FRETLESS-1980-FOLK-ROCK LP US $5.99 [0 bids]
Jo-El Sonnier 45 If Your Heart Should Ever Roll This Way Again/You 7" vinyl rpm US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 4m
David Kersh :2 cd's Goodnight Sweetheart (96) & If I Never Stop Loving You (98) US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Dottie West - If It's All Right With You/ Just What I've Been Looking For - LP US $1.68 Buy It Now 1h 5m
REINA - CHRISTMAS / IF I CLOSE MY EYES 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS42 ## US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
JOHN ROWLES - IF I ONLY HAD TIME: THE ANTHOLOGY (2CD) *BRAND NEW* US $24.90 Buy It Now 1h 9m
If You Were Mine by Billie Holiday NEW UNPLAYED CD, Mar-1995, Drive Archive) US $8.98 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Roy C. - If I Could Love You Forever / Loneliness Has Got A Hold... 45 rpm 1974 US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Lesley Garrett Self Titled inc If I Loved You + Cassette Tape - TESTED US $10.20 Buy It Now 1h 14m
ROSEANNE CASH - If You Change Your Mind/Somewhere Sometime US $5.50 Buy It Now 1h 17m
RONNIE CARROLL - IF ONLY TOMORROW 7" - PHILIPS US $11.88 Buy It Now 1h 18m
BLACK OAK ARKANSAS: If An Angel Came to See You (LP, 1972) Very Good+ US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
"...If I Die, I Die" US $18.68 Buy It Now 1h 21m
BONNIE TYLER---IF I SANG YOU A LOVE SONG/HEAVEN US $4.00 [0 bids]
knuckles o'toole 7" if you knew susie / yes we have no bananas 1959 JAR125 VG- US $10.18 Buy It Now 1h 22m
NORTHERN /CROSSOVER 70'S QUADRAPHONICS BETCHA IF YOU CHECK IT OUT IR ORIGINAL US $33.98 Buy It Now 1h 22m
DODGY - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME 7" POSTER SLEEVE US $9.33 Buy It Now 1h 23m
ANGIE MARTINEZ "IF I COULD GO!'" LIL' MO 12" SS!! US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
CANADA 1960s PSYCH ROCK 45 RPM JIMI HENDRIX : IF 6 WAS 9 + STONE FREE US $49.99 [0 bids]
(DD980) Tom Moriarty, Smile if You Wanna Get High - 2011 DJ CD US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 24m
VG++ CHICAGO TOGETHER AGAIN/IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 1976 45 RPM COLUMBIA 3-10390 US $2.98 Buy It Now 1h 25m
TED NUGENT if you can't lick 'em...lick 'em US $16.98 Buy It Now 1h 27m
(EG861) Lemar, If She Knew - 2008 DJ CD US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Thrice If We Could Only See Us Now 2005 CD+DVD Post Hardcore Music Brand New US $22.08 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Marvin Gaye Try It Baby / If My Heart Could Sing Tamla Motown 45 RPM Vinyl US $9.75 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Two If by Sea (CD, Jan-1996, TVT (Dist.)) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
HEAR Original 1950's 45 EX+ Condition-McGuire Sisters-Coral-If You Believe US $5.00 [0 bids]
northern soul BABS TINO If I Didn't Love You So Much KAPP M- hear soundclip! US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Pigmeat Markham ADULT COMEDY LP If You Cant Be Good Be US $16.98 Buy It Now 1h 36m
What If We Were Real CD by Mandisa 2011 - 11 Songs NEW US $15.50 Buy It Now 1h 37m
WES MCGHEE it's no use being a fast draw if yo 7" WS EX/ uk US $11.88 Buy It Now 1h 42m
AC/DC If You Want Blood LP VG+/VG++ Promo US $41.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
NEIL DIAMOND if you know what i mean 7" WS EX/ uk cbs US $11.88 Buy It Now 1h 44m
PAUL NICHOLAS if you were the only girl in world 7" CS EX/EX US $11.88 Buy It Now 1h 44m
LORRAINE FIELDS if you ever need me 7" WS EX/- usa paylode US $11.88 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Modern Soul Promo 45 PAMALA STANLEY If Looks Could Kill on Mirage (Promo) US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Soul Promo 45 THELMA HOUSTON If You Feel It on RCA (Promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Soul Promo 45 BILL WITHERS If I Don't Mean You Well on Columbia (Promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
If I Tell U by Phaseone (Andrew Jernigan) (Vinyl, May-2013, Williams Street) US $23.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Sham 69 - If The Kids Are United NEW CD US $12.41 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Mendoza Line - If They Knew This Was The End NEW CD US $12.41 Buy It Now 1h 47m
BILLY BARNES - UA - If You But Knew - SOUL BALLAD DJ 45 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Barenaked Ladies ALL THEIR GREATEST HITS CD ~ Exc. USED Cond IF I HAD $1,000,000 US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
PHOEBE SNOW Japan 1989 Promo Only 7"45 IF I CAN JUST GE US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
VG++ TOMMY SHAW WHAT IF 1985 LP AM RECORDS SP-5097 US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Cheap Trick - Oh Boy / If You Want My Love DEMO DJ ONLY PROMO 7" 45 RPM Vinyl US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 55m
45 RECORD BABYFACE - IF WE TRY B/W INSTRUMENTAL VERSION B-70022 US $3.74 Buy It Now 1h 55m
(BW167) Five, If Ya Gettin' Down - 1999 DJ CD US $4.68 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Butler,Carl & The Webster Brothers - I Wouldn't Change You If I Could [CD New] US $25.82 Buy It Now 1h 57m
THE KILGORE ENSEMBLE If You Keep The Faith BRP LP private gospel lp US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132959) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#178943) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458878) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011

Post a review of IF "If 4"