IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010
What Did I Say About TWhat Did I Say About T
Repertoire 2008
Rare Promo 45 JERDEN #764 DANA GILLESPIE Donna Donna / It's No Use Saying If US $3.49 [1 bids]
31m 38s
If Only For One Night - Steve Simon and the Toronto City Orchestra (CD 2000) US $11.20 Buy It Now 33m 35s
If You Know the Lord Is Blessing You, Perfected in Praise, Marshall, E, New US $11.12 Buy It Now 34m 57s
VG++ EVELYN CHAMPAGNE KING WE'RE GOING TO A PARTY/I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S RIGHT 12" US $4.98 Buy It Now 35m 59s
Rock 45 BOBBY DARIN If I Were A Carpenter on Atlantic US $5.00 Buy It Now 39m 27s
GLORIA ELLIOTT "IF THAT ISN'T LOVE" 33 RPM VINYL LP GOSPEL RECORD ALBUM - SEALED US $4.99 Buy It Now 40m 15s
The Band Perry advance music 5 track promo CD If I Die Young Postcard From Paris US $20.00 Buy It Now 40m 23s
Used CD: Brooks & Dunn 5: If You See Her: 11 cuts; 1998; NM cutout; Arista US $3.49 [0 bids]
40m 35s
Rock Promo 45 SISSY SPACEK If I Can Just Get Through The Night on Atlantic Ameri US $5.00 Buy It Now 41m 38s
Country 45 ROSE MADDOX I Wonder If I Can Lose The Blues This Way on Columbia US $5.00 Buy It Now 41m 38s
Rock Promo 45 RANDY WRIGHT If I Were You Babe on MCA (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 41m 38s
BLUES 45~CHARLES BROWN~IF YOU DONT~W/Sleeve~KING~~~MINT US $24.99 Buy It Now 44m 26s
HARRY SIMEONE If I Had My Way/ An American Is A Very Lucky Man 45 Berwick 2756 US $9.99 Buy It Now 44m 47s
Near Perfect - If...: Music of Inspiration and Aspirati US $5.85 Buy It Now 45m 12s
If Only You Were Lonely by Hawthorne Heights (CD, Feb-2006, Victory Records... US $0.99 [0 bids]
45m 30s
1 CENT CD: Larkin McLean 'If Your a Wild Girl Say Aye' jazz US $1.61 [4 bids]
46m 47s
Lesley Gore - I'll Cry If I Want To - Record LP US $9.00 Buy It Now 49m 15s
Jennifer Lopez , Audio CD, If You Had My Love US $6.63 Buy It Now 50m 37s
JAMES BROWN I Got The Feelin/If I Ruled The World 7" 45+King Sleeve US $19.99 Buy It Now 51m
Hawthorne Heights If Only You Were 2 CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 51m 23s
45 NORTHERN SOUL: ROY C. If I Could Love You Forever 1974 MERCURY ? US $11.95 Buy It Now 51m 41s
JACYNTHE Try My Love/ If You Leave Me Now 12" KLM Records KLM 0966-1 Canada vg+ US $7.99 Buy It Now 52m 4s
Last Days Of April : If You Lose It CD (2004) US $4.95 Buy It Now 52m 39s
NEW - If The Jukebox Took Teardrops US $3.99 Buy It Now 54m 3s
Gene Pitney 45 Record. Only Love Can Break a Heart and If I Didn't Have a Dime US $1.99 Buy It Now 54m 19s
.38 Special : The Millennium Collection CD (2003)If I'd Been The One Rockin' int US $1.88 [0 bids]
54m 52s
Diane Johnson If You Want To Do It / The Queen Bee Buluu 73003 Promo Mint- US $10.00 Buy It Now 57m 18s
GEO.J. & THE NOMADS WITH IF YOU'RE OVER 30...BUY THIS! US $7.00 Buy It Now 57m 18s
If - Hollywood Beyond - Nice NM promo LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 59m 4s
Huge Hits Karaoke Pack 500 Songs 27 CD+Gs 4 player BONUS IF BID HITS $33 US $10.50 [7 bids]
59m 43s
VIRGIL GRIFFIN: A Forgotten Lover / If You Can't Go Don't 45 Soul US $30.00 Buy It Now 59m 53s
The Rolling Stones Got Live if you Want It MONO London 3493 VG+ Vinyl US $15.00 [0 bids]
If It Die Siddhartha Vinyl LP US $17.23 Buy It Now 1h 10m
If It's Real The Highest Order Vinyl LP US $18.55 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Salt On Sea Glass If By Yes Vinyl LP US $18.17 Buy It Now 1h 10m
If You Wanna Rock N Roll High Voltage CD US $23.98 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Columbia 36894 Cab Calloway If This Isn't Love/The Honeydripper 78 RPM US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Decca 1302 Ella Fitzgerald If You Ever Should Leave/Everyone's Wrong... 78 RPM US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Savoy 870 Billy Wright Goin' Down Slow/If I Didn't Love You 78 RPM US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
JOHN HOLT - IF I WERE A CARPENTER / WHAT LOVE CAN DO 12" VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
John Cougar Nothing Matters And What If It Did, Vinyl LP Record, Riva RVL 7403 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
LUTHER INGRAM -IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG I DONT WANT TO BE US $10.39 Buy It Now 1h 17m
VG++ JOHN ANDERSON IF THERE WERE NO MEMORIES 1980 45 RPM WARNER BROS. WBS-49275 US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Lee Ye Rin ??? 3 If Ye-Rin Album CD Korea Korean Pop Music KPOP K-POP K Pop US $22.95 [0 bids]
KELLY RANK - IF YOU LOVE ME / WHAT A HEAT 12" EX US $4.99 [0 bids]
* MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK - Even If It Kills Me US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Whitney Houston George Michael If I REMIX UK CD Single US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Sting "If on a Winter's Night" Christmas Holiday Music New Sealed US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
A1080 STANLEY CLARKE / IF THIS BASS COULD ONLY TALK JAPAN CD 28.8P-5028 OBI US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
(AW910) Stars & Sons, If It's Good For Me - DJ CD US $4.62 Buy It Now 1h 25m
DAVID CROSBY If I Could Only Remember My Name LP ATLANTIC SD 7203 orig NM- US $4.99 [1 bids]
(AW936) Moneen, If Tragedy is Appealing Then Dis- DJ CD US $4.62 Buy It Now 1h 28m
VICKI ANDERSON - IF YOU DON'T GIVE ME WHAT I WANT - KING US $16.81 Buy It Now 1h 28m
45 rpm Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes If you dont know me by now record vintage US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Elvis Presley If Everyday Was Like Christmas CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
SAMMY DAVIS,JR. IF I RULED THE WORLD ON REEL TO REEL TAPE US $19.99 [0 bids]
Sealed12"LPJohn Cougar "Nothin' Matters and What If It Did" MINT EXPILICT LYRICS US $12.99 [0 bids]
Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun / If You Go Away 45 1973 US $5.35 [0 bids]
Folk Pop 45 CHAD & JEREMY Donna Donna /If I Loved You WORLD ARTISTS VG++/EX US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
If You Leave Me Now (And Other Hits) by Chicago CD US $2.79 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Super Grit Cowboy Band - If You Can't Hang... LP US $16.81 Buy It Now 1h 36m
DAVID KERSH - If I Never Stop Loving You/The Need US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Tanya Tucker If Your Heart Ain't Busy Tonight / Down To My Last 7" 45 rpm VG+ US $1.50 Buy It Now 1h 42m
JOHN ROWLES If I Only Had Time Cassette Tape US $12.19 Buy It Now 1h 43m
RICHARD ACE - STAYING ALIVE / IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU 12" VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
MASTER P FEAT STEADY MOBB'N - IF I COULD CHANGE - SINGLE LP, 1997 - PROMO US $13.66 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Ten After Two - If You Don't First (Used) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
ORQUESTA YRIBARREN Electra 1041 ARGENTINA HOT JAZZ 78 IF WINTER COMES US $24.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Barry Manilow / If I Should Love Again / 1981 / Arista AL-9573 / w. Inner Sleeve US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Carl Smith 45 Mr Moon/If Teardrops Were Pennies - Columbia 4-20825 VG+ US $2.42 [0 bids]
DELLA REESE: IF IT FEELS GOOD, DO IT 1971 AVCO 4586 MINT- NORTHERN SOUL PROMO 45 US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
BOB SEGER IF I WERE A CARPENTER PALLADIUM MINT PROMO (7) RECORDS TOP COPY! RARE US $22.45 [0 bids]
If Only, Pt. 1 [CD 1], Hanson, Good Single, Limited Edition, Maxi US $2.13 Buy It Now 2h 2m
THE FOUR-EVERS ~ Be My Girl ~ If I Were a Magician ~ 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS-IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD LTD G00 US $31.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
THE STAPLE SINGERS IF YOU'RE READY (COME GO WITH ME) STAX SOUL 45 DJ Promo US $8.00 [0 bids]
If I Never Knew You, Shanice, Jon Secada, Good Soundtrack, Single US $5.36 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Pat Boone 45 If Dreams Came True / That's How Much I Lo US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 10m
MONSTERS, INC. If I Didn't Have You (For Your Consideration-Best Original Song) US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 10m
IF YOU CAN'T PLEASE YOURSELF, YOU CAN'T PLS YOUR SOUL US $7.47 Buy It Now 2h 17m
SOUL 45 RPM - JIMMY SOUL - S.P.Q.R. 3305 - "IF YOU WANNA BE HAPPY" US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 18m
LEE HYO RI - If In Love Like Them KOREA CD *SEALED* US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
WALQUIRIA - OUR BLOOD NOW IF ETERNAL CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
MIO - (If I were a little)Mermaid - Japan CD Dragon Ash ishigurokoichi US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
SCHOOLBOY CLEVE: If It's Love You Want Come To Me (blues & r&b vinyl 45) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 44m
ADAM WADE, Playing Around /As If I Didn't Know (promo) 45rpm US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 45m
If I Could Turn Back Time: Cher's Greatest Hits, Cher, Good US $5.74 Buy It Now 2h 45m
McCain Brothers: If love was a crime dj promo 7" 45rpm vinyl record 5a US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 45m
JEWEL BROWN If You Have No Real Objections / I Must Be Dreaming VG US $5.99 [0 bids]
1927 Bulk Lot of 4 x 7" Vinyl Records Tell Me A Story, You'll Never Know, If I US $4.67 Buy It Now 2h 47m
ELVIS PRESLEY 45 w/ps IF I CAN DREAM / EDGE OF REALITY ~ RCA VG+ US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Mindy McCready 'If I Don't Stay The Night' CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
Pete Wylie If I Love You 12" vinyl UK single Steve Peck US $4.95 Buy It Now 3h
As If - Snowboarders From Hell US orig' PRIVATE 7" EP US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h
Elvis Presley: If you talk in your sleep / Help me 7" 45rpm vinyl record 5a US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 3m
4 hits Three coins in the fountain & if you love me & little things & hernandos US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
William Place, Jr - VIC 17416 - Believe Me if All Those Endearing Young Charms US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Bobby Taylor I am your Man & If You Love Her Northern soul Gordy G-7073 NM 45 ## US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
13-0717-043 | TYLER, BONNIE if you were a woman(and i was a man) VG/VG JAPAN 07. US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
If You Come to Me [CD 2] [CD 2] US $5.03 Buy It Now 3h 17m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132959) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#178943) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#458878) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011

Post a review of IF "If 4"