IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
CD Big James - If It Wasn't 4 Da Blues Jamot Music JM1001-2 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD - If You're Not The One (UK 4 Tk Enhanced CD Single) USD $6.51 Buy It Now 1h 49m
If I Had A Hammer-Folk Songs 4 CD Box -Readers Digest -NEW USD $19.90 [0 bids]
Foley Featuring SPEECH - If It's Positive PROMO CD Single with 4 Mixes VG USD $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 54m
IF 'IF 4' CD DIGI-SLEEVE NEW+ USD $14.55 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Crystal Waters,CD Single,4 mixes,Say If You Feel Alright USD $1.99 Buy It Now 6h 31m
RONAN KEATING - If Tomorrow Never Comes (UK 4 Tk Enh CD Single Pt 2/Poster) USD $6.05 Buy It Now 11h 51m
4 Bobby Darin 45's-Scripto Ep-Dream Lover-If I Were a Carpenter-I am USD $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 44m
EDWYN COLLINS--KEEP ON BURNING [4 TRACK CDS UK] LAVA LAMP, IF YOU COULS LOVE ME+ USD $4.79 Buy It Now 13h 19m
3RD STOREE If Ever CD 4 Track So So Def Remix Without Rap With Info Stickered Ca USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 29m
BARE JR Brainwasher CD 4 Track Promo In Card Sleeve Featuring Brainwasher, If Yo USD $10.90 Buy It Now 13h 29m
2 PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD 4 Track Soulpower Hip Hop Radio Mix B/w USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
A1 Summertime Of Our Lives CD 4 Track B/w Metro Club Mix, If You Were My Girl An USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
BENNET If You Met Me Then You'd Like Me CD 4 Track B/w Oh Yeah, Back To Back At USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
ATOMIC KITTEN If You Come To Me CD 4 Track B/w So Right, Feels So Good And Feels USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
BLUE If You Come Back CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Cd Rom Video, Jam Street Mix An USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
BALLROOM Take It CD 4 Track B/w Edit, Her Sweet Saliva And If I UK Mother 1997 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track Lp Version Radio Edit B/w Soft Touch Mix Ra USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
ALICE MARTINEAU If I Fall CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Single Version, Standard Ver USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
BLAMELESS Breathe CD 4 Track B/w What If, Tomorrow You Might Be Dead And Town Cl USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track, Lp Edit, R&b Mix, Uno Clio Pure Bliss Dub USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
BROWNSTONE 5 Miles To Empty CD 4 Track B/w Cut Clever Mix, If You Love Me And Gr USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 30m
CELINE DION Call The Man CD 4 Track Radio Edit Green Sleeve B/w Medley, If We Co USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 31m
CELINE DION Think Twice CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Le Monde Est Stone, If Love Is USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 31m
CHRIS BRAIDE If I Hadn't Got You CD 4 Track Radio Mix B/w T Empo Master Club Mix USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 31m
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS Give It Up CD 4 Track B/w If You're Happy, Bean Phaidin And If USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 42m
J.J. If This Is Love CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic Version, Denim And Blue And Wedding USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 42m
HUNDRED REASONS Silver CD 4 Track B/w Seems To Register Zero Punctual If Nothing USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 42m
JENNY JONES Blue CD 4 Track In Card Envleope Sleeve Wih Inner B/w Compassion, If USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
K.D. LANG You're Ok CD 4 Track B/w If I Were You Main Mix, Smokin Lounge Mix And USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
KING BLUES Mr Music Man CD 4 Track Single Version B/w If Genghis Khan Then Why C USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
MN8 If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Track Featuring Radio Mix, Absolute 12" Mix,club USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
JON SECADA If You Go CD 4 Track B/w Spanish Version, Spanglish Version And Dance USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
K.D. LANG You're Ok CD 4 Track B/w If I Were You Main Mix, If I Were You Smokin USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
KING OF THE HILL If I Say CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic, Purple Haze Live And I Do U USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
NEEDLES We Got The Soul CD 4 Track B/w Hang On To Yourself, Only If U Want Me 2 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
LOWGOLD Mercury CD 4 Track Radio Edit Promo B/w Mercury, Eddie Lejuene And If Pe USD $12.74 Buy It Now 13h 43m
MOTHERS Love Lies And Loneliness Ep CD 4 Track Featuring Even If We Lose, Shame USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
LIGHTNING SEEDS What If CD 4 Track Digi Pack B/w Leuroj's Slo N Easy Mix, Never USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
MCALMONT Either CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w You Made Me, As If I'd Known A Liv USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
LENNY KRAVITZ If You Can't Say No CD 4 Track Edit B/w Without You, Zero 7 Mix An USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
LEMONHEADS If I Could Talk I'd Tell You CD 4 Track Single Version B/w How Will I USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
LUCIANA If You Want CD 4 Track 7" Mix B/w Main Club Vocal Mix, Delta Con Baixo M USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
MARK OWEN Four Minute Warning CD 4 Track B/w Cd Rom Video, Live If You Try And J USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
LEMAR Someone Should Tell You CD 4 Track B/w Kardinal Beats Remix, If There's An USD $9.08 Buy It Now 13h 43m
MANIC STREET PREACHERS If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next CD 4 Trac USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 43m
MCALMONT Either CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w You Made Me, As If I'd Known USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
MELANIE C If That Were Me CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic Version, Video And When You're USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
MATT GOSS If You Were Here Tonight CD 4 Track Pic Disc In Multi Fold Out Digi Pa USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
LEMONHEADS If I Could Talk I'd Tell You CD 4 Track Part 1 Single Version B/w I D USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD If You're Not The One CD 4 Track Enhanced Disc B/w Metro Mix, USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
ONE INCH PUNCH If CD 4 Track B/w Invisible Pair Of Hands Remix, Justin Troublema USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
PREFAB SPROUT If You Don't Love Me CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w AUSTRIAN Kitchenware 1 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
PETER COX If You Walk Away CD 4 Track Cutfather And Joe Mix B/w Album Edit, Clos USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
PREFAB SPROUT Life Of Surprises CD 4 Track Fold Out Digi Pack With Poster B/w If USD $9.54 Buy It Now 13h 44m
CUTTING CREW If That's The Way You Want It CD 4 Track B/w No Bad Thing, Been In USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
PETER COX If You Walk Away CD 4 Track Cutfather And Joe Mix Full Version B/w Fra USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number CD 4 Track 100 Per Cent Radio Mix B/w Toon USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Give It Away CD 4 Track Edit Part 2 B/w If You Have To Ask USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
DIANA ROSS If We Hold On Together CD 4 Track Part 1 In Z Pack B/w Work That Body USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
EAST 17 FEATURING GABRIELLE If You Ever CD 4 Track Smoove Mix 7" Version B/w Ruf USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track Part 1 B/w Love Is Back, If You Fe USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
DODGY If You're Thinking Of Me CD 4 Track UK A&m 1996 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
PAULINE HENRY If I Can't Have You CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Kupper Classic Radio USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
FUZZ TOWNSHEND Hello Darlin CD 4 Track B/w Promix, If I Fell And Instrumental U USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
GABRIELLE If You Really Cared CD 4 Track Radio Edit Yellow Sleeve Design In Spec USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
DREAM CITY FILM CLUB If I Die I Die CD 4 Track B/w Pissboy, When I Sleep And Tee USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
EDWYN COLLINS A Girl Like You CD 4 Track Digi Pack B/w If You Could Love Me Acou USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CD 4 Track B/w Love Is Back, If You Feel Like USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
EDWYN COLLINS Keep On Burning CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w If You Could Love Me In Time USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
GABRIELLE Forget About The World CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w If You Really Cared Acous USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
ELTON JOHN If The River Can Bend CD 4 Track Edit B/w Don't Let The Sun Go Down O USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
DINA CARROLL Only Human CD 4 Track B/w Run To You, If I Had A Dream And Same Ol USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
FRANK AND WALTERS Happy Busman CD 4 Track B/w Humphrey, World Carries On And If USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
GOOD CHARLOTTE Anthem CD 4 Track Part 1 B/w Cd Rom Video, If You Leave And Motiv USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
FIELD MUSIC If Only The Moon Were Up CD 4 Track Promo In Special Card Sleeve B/w USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
FUZZ TOWNSHEND Hello Darlin CD 4 Track B/w Ardmix, If I Fell, Instrumental UK F USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me CD 4 Track DUTCH Virgin 1995 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
GENE Olympian CD 4 Track B/w I Can't Decide If She Really Loves Me, To See The L USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
GOYA DRESS Bedroom Cinema Ep CD 4 Track Featuring If I Know, Strange Death, King USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
GABRIELLE If You Really Cared CD 4 Track Radio Edit White Sleeve Design In Speci USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
ROD STEWART If We Fall In Love Tonight CD 4 Track Edit B/w So Far Away, I Was On USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 46m
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy CD 4 Track Edit Version Digi Pack With Picture USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 49m
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy CD 4 Track B/w On The Outside, Keep On Growing USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 50m
TRANSVISION VAMP If Looks Could Kill CD 4 Track 7" Version Pic Disc In Fold Out USD $11.13 Buy It Now 13h 51m
THRILLS Whatever Happened To Corey Haim CD 4 Track Enhanced Disc B/w If I Wasn' USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
THEAUDIENCE If You Can't Do It When You're Young CD 4 Track B/w There Are Worse USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
STREET REGAL Mary Jane CD 4 Track B/w If You Please, This Life And She's Got Sou USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
U2 If God Will Send His Angels CD 4 Track Single Version B/w Slow Dancing, Two S USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
STYLO PHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track O USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track B/w Clownmaster, Anyone And Hoover USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
STING This Cowboy Song CD 4 Track Remix Featuring Pato Banton B/w If You Love So USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
THREE MUSKETEERS All For Love CD 4 Track B/w Straight Fro The Heart Live, If Onl USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
TRANSVISION VAMP If Looks Could Kill CD 4 Track 7" Version Pic Disc In Fold USD $9.54 Buy It Now 13h 51m
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track Limited Digi Pack UK Creation 199 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
WILL YOUNG Don't Let Me Down CD 4 Track B/w You And I, If That's What You Want A USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track Or USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
STING When We Dance CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w If You Love Somebody Set Them USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track Promo UK Creation 1993 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 51m
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track Pr USD $9.08 Buy It Now 13h 51m
LP 2
~ USD $12.74
CD if4
~ USD $13.85

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"