IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
4 by IF (2013-08-03)4 by IF (2013-08-03)
Imports

LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W Instrumental, If Only For One USD $6.47 Buy It Now
GEORGE CLINTON If Anybody Gets Funked Up 12" VINYL 4 Track Album Version Promo USD $11.53 Buy It Now
NSP AND DAVID CAMACHO FEATURING JON JUNIOR We Can Make It If We Try 12" VINYL 4 USD $6.47 Buy It Now
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" VINYL 4 Track Radio Edit B/W Club Mix, Piano USD $6.47 Buy It Now
Atomic Kitten X4 Whole Again The tide is high If u come to me Eternal CD Single USD $3.23 Buy It Now
If-4 UK prog jazz cd remastered USD $14.99 Buy It Now
Noel Gallagher - If I Had A Gun... - Funky Art Print - A4 Size USD $7.78 Buy It Now
AS IF- The Channel 4 TV Soundtrack 2-CD (2001) Coldplay/Fragma/Kylie Minogue USD $1.52 Buy It Now
Sheryl Crow 4 Track CD Single If It Makes You Happy 1996 USD $0.01 [0 bids]
4 x Barry Manilow 'Cassettes' Very Best Of, If I Should Love Again, Swing Street USD $0.64 [0 bids]
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Sa USD $3.24 [0 bids]
SNOOP DOGG PRESENTS DOGGYS ANGELS-BABY IF YOU'RE READY (4 VERS)-TVT2132-0 NM 12" USD $4.98 Buy It Now 18m 52s
STING If You Love Somebody set them free 4track 12" USD $10.38 Buy It Now 26m 54s
THREE CHUCKLES If You Should Love Again 45 US 1955 X 4X-0095 USD $13.98 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Raheem GETO BOYS IF U Gone Buck b/w Who U Down 4 12" Random Hip Hop USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Billie Holiday "Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do" 1975 Columbia 4LP Set 12972 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Aretha & 4 Tops 45 w/PS If Ever A Love There USD $6.75 Buy It Now 6h 52m
38 x Colour Club ?- If It's All Good - NEW TAPE LOT 1996 RnB - Soul Swing 4 TRX USD $13.00 [0 bids]
Got7 Music 4th Mini Album Sealed KPOP CD Mad If you do Horizontal Ver+Photocard USD $11.98 Buy It Now 10h
JO STAFFORD/IF YOU WANT TO LOVE US COLUMBIA 4-40595 USD $14.00 Buy It Now 13h 54m
GROOVE ARMADA - IF EVERYBODY LOOKED THE SAME 4 track CD USD $3.57 Buy It Now 15h 14m
SUZI QUATRO_If You Can't Give Me Love_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_H4b USD $9.17 Buy It Now 15h 36m
DEAN GEYER_If You Don't Mean It_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_B4 USD $7.64 Buy It Now 15h 50m
Heartworms 7" vinyl single record If Everything Goes As Planned EP USA POOF4 USD $12.90 Buy It Now 16h 42m
Jerusalem In My Heart - If He Dies, If If If If If If (Audio CD - Sep 4, 2015) USD $8.97 Buy It Now 17h 42m
Elaine Paige - Hymne a L'amour (If You Love Me) 4 Tracks - Mint - Fast Postage USD $6.47 Buy It Now 20h 3m
TOM: If I only knew 12" vinyl record 4L USD $5.00 Buy It Now 20h 43m
If Fire Would Fall 4 Track CD Single USD $6.47 Buy It Now 21h
If That's the Way You Want It 4 Track Cd Single USD $14.95 Buy It Now 21h 34m
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $9.02 Buy It Now 23h 51m
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $15.50 Buy It Now 23h 51m
018 Bedingfield - If You're Not The One - Song Lyric Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $24.58 Buy It Now 23h 51m
Theaudience If you can't do it when you're young: when can yo 4 track CD single USD $0.64 [0 bids]
BANG BANG Hit & Launch 7" VINYL 4 Track In Picture Sleeve, Inc. I Don't Care If USD $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
28IF Top Of The Pops 7" VINYL B/W Instrumental (Diva4) UK Diva USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
PATTONS If I Leave The World Behind 7" VINYL 4 Track B/W Going Nowhere, Darling USD $2.71 Buy It Now 1 day
JIMMY RUFFIN Farewell Is A Lonely Sound 7" VINYL 4 Prong Label Design B/W If USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
HALO JAMES Magic Hour 7" VINYL B/W If Tomorrow Ever Comes Around (Halo4) USD $2.71 Buy It Now 1 day
VAL DOONICAN If The Whole World Stopped Lovin 7" VINYL 4 Pronged Blue Pye Label USD $2.71 Buy It Now 1 day
VAL DOONICAN If I Knew Then What I Know Now 7" VINYL 4 Prong Label Design B/W A USD $2.71 Buy It Now 1 day
CASHMAN AND WEST Songman 7" VINYL Demo 4 Pronged Centre B/W If You Were A USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" VINYL 4 Track EP Featuring If You Miss Me At The Back USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
JOE DOLAN Make Me An Island 7" VINYL 4 Pronged Label Deisgn B/W If You Care A USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" VINYL 4 Track EP Featuring If USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" VINYL 4 Track EP Featuring If You Miss Me At The B USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" VINYL 4 Track EP Featuring If I Ruled The USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW/TOGETHER AGAIN 7" SINGLE 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $4.10 Buy It Now 1 day
KIN KELLY If I Could Hear Your Voice 7" VINYL With Folded A4 Press Release USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
STEPHEN WRIGHT Valentine Song 7" VINYL With Folded A4 Flyer B/w I'd Tell You If USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
ODYSSEY (DISCO GROUP) If You're Lookin For A Way Out 7" VINYL 4 Prong Label USD $1.36 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID CASSIDY If I Didn't Care 7" VINYL 4 Pronged Centre B/W Frozen Noses USD $5.44 Buy It Now 1 day
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track LP Version Radio Edit B/W Soft Touch Mix USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
MELANIE C If That Were Me CD 4 Track B/w Acoustic Version, Video And When USD $5.44 Buy It Now 1 day
MN8 If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Track Featuring Radio Mix, Absolute 12" Mix USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
LUCIANA If You Want CD 4 Track 7" Mix B/W Main Club Vocal Mix, Delta Con Baixo USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
CUTTING CREW If That's The Way You Want It CD 4 Track B/W No Bad Thing, Been In USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
STYLO PHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
STREET REGAL Mary Jane CD 4 Track B/w If You Please, This Life And She's Got USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
JON SECADA If You Go CD 4 Track B/W Spanish Version, Spanglish Version USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
2 PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD 4 Track Soulpower Hip Hop Radio Mix USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER COX If You Walk Away CD 4 Track Cutfather And Joe Mix B/w Album Edit USD $5.44 Buy It Now 1 day
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number CD 4 Track 100 Per Cent Radio Mix USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track, LP Edit, R&B Mix, Uno Clio Pure Bliss Dub USD $2.71 Buy It Now 1 day
EDDIE MURPHY If I Was King CD 4 Track Radio Edit Promo B/W Album Version USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK If You Go Away CD 4 Track B/w Please Don't Go Girl, I'll USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
K.D. LANG You're Ok CD 4 Track B/w If I Were You Main Mix, Smokin Lounge Mix USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
BARRY MANILOW If I Can Dream CD 4 Track B/w Keep Each Other Warm, Sweet Life USD $18.34 Buy It Now 1 day
IAN MCNABB I Go My Own Way CD 4 Track B/W Play The Hand They Deal You,If My USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
EDWYN COLLINS If You Could Love Me CD 4 Track Radio Edit Version Part 2 B/W If USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
FIRE ISLAND If You Should Need A Friend CD 4 Track Fire Island 7" Edit USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
DUBSTAR Not So Manic Now CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w If It Isn't You,song No 9 And A USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
TAMPERER FEATURING MAYA If You Buy This Record 12" VINYL 4 Track (0530081) UK USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
ONLY IN THE DARK If You Truly Love Me 12" VINYL 4 Track Club Kryptonite Mix USD $2.71 Buy It Now 1 day
FISH MONKEY MAN If I've Told You Once 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W Air And Skin USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
MOTHERS (90'S GROUP) Even If We Lose 12" VINYL 4 Track Promo (Sam712) UK Elektra USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
EUSEBE If Masser Says 12" VINYL 4 Track 7" Edit Remix By Bbg B/W Full Version USD $2.71 Buy It Now 1 day
LUCIANA If You Want 12" VINYL 4 Mixes With Delta Con Baixo Mix (12Chs5009) Pic USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL 4 Track Promo (Proa7932) US Warner Bros USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
JUNIOR DUNN If You Leave Me Now 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W You Should Have Told Me USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
J.J. If This Is Love 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W Denim And Blue, If This Is Love USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
DON JACK & THE DESIGN Back Chat 12" VINYL 4 Track B/w If This Is Love, Please USD $11.53 Buy It Now 1 day
ALTERNATIVE RADIO Save One Dream 12" VINYL 4 Track B/W Wishful Thinking, If You USD $5.45 Buy It Now 1 day
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" VINYL 4 Track True Mix Radio Edit USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
ERASURE Circus 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Live Versions Of Victim Of Love, If USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" VINYL 4 Track Remix B/W As Time Goes USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
DODGY I Need Another 12" VINYL 4 Track Dj Promo B/W Never Again, If I Fall USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Said USD $2.71 Buy It Now 1 day
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number 12" VINYL 4 Track Test Pressing In Title USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
MCALMONT Either 12" VINYL 4 Track B/w Edit, You Made Me And As If I'd Known USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" VINYL 4 Track Band Of Gypsies Mix B/W Judge USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MOTION PICTURES (INDIE GROUP) If All Things Were Never Said 12" VINYL 4 Track USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
OBSESSION (DANCE) If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL 4 Track Saturday Mix USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
MELI'SA MORGAN If You Can Do It I Can Too 12" VINYL 4 Track Extended Version USD $5.44 Buy It Now 1 day
JAY HENRY If You Love Me 12" VINYL 4 Track White Label Brown Eyes Mix, Slow Sex USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
3 ACTION Don't Lose That Stealin' Feelin' 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring If I Only USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
DARLING BUDS Hit The Ground 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Pretty Girl, If I Sa USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL 4 Track Main Mix Promo B/w Junior's X Beat USD $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
TONY TONI TONE If I Had No Loot 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Extended Version USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"