IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
4 by If4 by If
Repertoire Records
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus by IFIf 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus by IF
IF
If 4 By If (2007-07-23)If 4 By If (2007-07-23)
Repertoire
061 Elvis - If I Can Dream - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $10.05 Buy It Now 8h 40m
061 Elvis - If I Can Dream - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $17.28 Buy It Now 8h 40m
061 Elvis - If I Can Dream - Song Lyric Art Poster Print - Sizes A4 A3 USD $27.40 Buy It Now 8h 40m
SHERYL CROW IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY CD & 4 POSTCARDS LIMITED EDITION EX CON 1996 USD $5.77 Buy It Now 8h 52m
Rare OOP U2 If God Will Send His Angels 4 Track Canada Std Jewel Picture Disc CD USD $20.00 Buy It Now 9h 28m
If Everything Goes As Planned EP Heartworms 7" vinyl single record USA POOF4 USD $14.37 Buy It Now 9h 29m
PETER PAUL AND MARY_If I Had A Hammer_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_M4a USD $8.51 Buy It Now 12h 38m
SIMPLY RED #1 song CD If You Don't Know me By Now 4 track SINGLE shine SUGAR DAD USD $11.99 Buy It Now 13h
Ray Charles (4) - If You We're Here 7" USD $4.34 Buy It Now 13h 42m
LUCIANA - IF YOU WANT - 4 TRACK UK CD SINGLE USD $2.88 Buy It Now 14h 44m
UPSIDE DOWN If You Leave Me Now CASSETTE 2 Track (mcworld4) UK World 1996 USD $5.26 Buy It Now 15h 12m
Terraplane If That's What It Takes UK 7" vinyl single record TERRA4 EPIC 1987 USD $14.37 Buy It Now 15h 56m
LAWSON & 4 MORE - SMART BIRD / IF YOU WANT ME ('66 Outtake Memphis Garage Rock) USD $14.44 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Shed Seven - If The Truth Be Told - Scarce 4trk promo only sampler CD USD $7.21 Buy It Now 16h 19m
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD Never Gonna / if you're 4TRX3 MIXES & EDIT UK PROMO CD single USD $23.49 Buy It Now 17h 53m
BARRY MANILOW - If I Should Love Again - South African Cassette Tape L4ASTJ119 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 18h 2m
JEFFERSON AIRPLANE:If You Feel Like China Breaking-Triad 4:54-Germany 7" RCA PSL USD $58.98 Buy It Now 19h 30m
4 George Jones 45's-Wine Colored Roses/The Very Best of Me/If Only You'd Love Me USD $4.00 Buy It Now 19h 50m
sting cd single."if i ever lose faith",4 tracks.1993.ex cond.incl live tracks.. USD $5.77 Buy It Now 20h 32m
AND IF, BEYOND SENSES, M/M, 4 Track, Promotional CD Single, Card Sleeve, REBIRTH USD $2.59 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Ever Fall In Love By Shai On Audio CD Album 1992 4E Very Good USD $3.79 Buy It Now 1 day
ATOMIC KITTEN, IF YOU COME TO ME, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, VIRG USD $2.54 Buy It Now 1 day
New Kids On The Block (NKOTB) - If You Go Away - Scarce 1991 UK 4 track CD USD $5.77 Buy It Now 1 day
SHERYL CROW IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY 4 TRACK OZ PRESS CARD SLEEVE CD - EXCELLENT USD $5.32 Buy It Now 1 day
EUROVISION 2006 SWITZERLAND-SIX4ONE-IF WE ALL GIVE A LITTLE-CD-R PRESS PAK USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Bronski Beat & Marc Almond I Feel Love 12" Forbidden Fruit BITEX4 EX/EX 1985 I F USD $14.46 Buy It Now 1 day
BLUE, IF YOU COME BACK, M/VG, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, VIRGIN, 7243 5 USD $2.59 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB SINCLAIR, IF I WAS, M/M, 4 Track, Promotional CD Single, Plastic Sleeve, DEF USD $2.59 Buy It Now 1 day
Rolling Stones "got LIVE if you want it"- Reel to Reel Stereo Tape 3 3/4 ips USD $15.00 [1 bids]
The Police STING Whn We Dance 4 TRX w/ Fortress & If you love MIXES & DUB CD USD $18.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Stephanie Mills "If I Were Your Woman" MCA-5996 12" Vinyl Record LP RS4 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Sting: If I ever lose my faith SINGLE cassette tape 4c USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANITA WARD Ring My Bell 7" 4 Pronged Label Design B/w If I Could Feel That Old F USD $3.76 Buy It Now 1 day
BANG BANG Hit & Launch 7" 4 Track In Picture Sleeve, Inc. I Don't Care If I'm Bl USD $10.40 Buy It Now 1 day
BRIAN ELDEE S/t 7" 4 Track Featuring Hawaiian Wedding Song, Sweet Caroline, If A USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If I Ruled The World, Th USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS If This Is It DOUBLE 7" 4 Track Double Pack Includes 2 L USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
MARDI GRAS Sing 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring C'mon Be Happy, If I Thought You'd Ever USD $16.69 Buy It Now 1 day
PAMELA ROSE Amazing Grace 7" 4 Track Ep B/w End Of The World, If You Want Me And USD $9.09 Buy It Now 1 day
PATTONS If I Leave The World Behind 7" 4 Track B/w Going Nowhere, Darling I Love USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
ODYSSEY If You're Lookin For A Way Out 7" 4 Prong Label Design B/w Never Heard USD $2.24 Buy It Now 1 day
MN8 If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Track Featuring Radio Mix, Absolute 12" Mix,club USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
ROD STEWART If We Fall In Love Tonight CD 4 Track Edit B/w So Far Away, I Was On USD $6.78 Buy It Now 1 day
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Give It Away CD 4 Track Edit Part 2 B/w If You Have To Ask USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
NEEDLES We Got The Soul CD 4 Track B/w Hang On To Yourself, Only If U Want Me 2 USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK If You Go Away CD 4 Track B/w Please Don't Go Girl, I'll B USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
ONE INCH PUNCH If CD 4 Track B/w Invisible Pair Of Hands Remix, Justin Troublema USD $6.78 Buy It Now 1 day
PAULINE HENRY If I Can't Have You CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Kupper Classic Radio USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
PJ AND DUNCAN If I Give You My Number CD 4 Track 100 Per Cent Radio Mix B/w Toon USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER COX If You Walk Away CD 4 Track Cutfather And Joe Mix B/w Album Edit, Clos USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER COX If You Walk Away CD 4 Track Cutfather And Joe Mix Full Version B/w Fra USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
PREFAB SPROUT If You Don't Love Me CD 4 Track Part 2 B/w AUSTRIAN Kitchenware 1 USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
PREFAB SPROUT Life Of Surprises CD 4 Track Fold Out Digi Pack With Poster B/w If USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Bernie Lowe If The Big Bands Were Here Vol 2 LP Cameo 4 channel 35 mm Stereo USD $5.36 Buy It Now 1 day
2 PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD 4 Track Soulpower Hip Hop Radio Mix B/w USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
3RD STOREE If Ever CD 4 Track So So Def Remix Without Rap With Info Stickered Ca USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
A1 Summertime Of Our Lives CD 4 Track B/w Metro Club Mix, If You Were My Girl An USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
BARE JR Brainwasher CD 4 Track Promo In Card Sleeve Featuring Brainwasher, If Yo USD $10.40 Buy It Now 1 day
ATOMIC KITTEN If You Come To Me CD 4 Track B/w So Right, Feels So Good And Feels USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
BENNET If You Met Me Then You'd Like Me CD 4 Track B/w Oh Yeah, Back To Back At USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
ALICE MARTINEAU If I Fall CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Single Version, Standard Ver USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
BALLROOM Take It CD 4 Track B/w Edit, Her Sweet Saliva And If I UK Mother 1997 USD $6.78 Buy It Now 1 day
BLUE If You Come Back CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Cd Rom Video, Jam Street Mix An USD $6.78 Buy It Now 1 day
BLAMELESS Breathe CD 4 Track B/w What If, Tomorrow You Might Be Dead And Town Cl USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE 5 Miles To Empty CD 4 Track B/w Cut Clever Mix, If You Love Me And Gr USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
CELINE DION Call The Man CD 4 Track Radio Edit Green Sleeve B/w Medley, If We Co USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track Lp Version Radio Edit B/w Soft Touch Mix Ra USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
CHRIS BRAIDE If I Hadn't Got You CD 4 Track Radio Mix B/w T Empo Master Club Mix USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
BROWNSTONE If You Love Me CD 4 Track, Lp Edit, R&b Mix, Uno Clio Pure Bliss Dub USD $3.74 Buy It Now 1 day
CELINE DION Think Twice CD 4 Track Radio Edit B/w Le Monde Est Stone, If Love Is USD $3.76 Buy It Now 1 day
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy CD 4 Track B/w On The Outside, Keep On Growing USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy CD 4 Track Edit Version Digi Pack With Picture USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
STING If I Ever Lose My Faith In You CD 4 Track Part 1 Pic Disc B/w All This Tim USD $3.74 Buy It Now 1 day
STING This Cowboy Song CD 4 Track Remix Featuring Pato Banton B/w If You Love So USD $3.76 Buy It Now 1 day
STYLO PHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track O USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track B/w Clownmaster, Anyone And Hoover USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
THRILLS Whatever Happened To Corey Haim CD 4 Track Enhanced Disc B/w If I Wasn' USD $6.78 Buy It Now 1 day
THEAUDIENCE If You Can't Do It When You're Young CD 4 Track B/w There Are Worse USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track Limited Digi Pack UK Creation 199 USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 If God Will Send His Angels CD 4 Track Single Version B/w Slow Dancing, Two S USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World Loved Everybody In The World CD 4 Track Or USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
SUGAR If I Can't Change Your Mind CD 4 Track Promo UK Creation 1993 USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD 4 Track Part 2 Limited Edition With Post USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
THREE MUSKETEERS All For Love CD 4 Track B/w Straight Fro The Heart Live, If Onl USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
STREET REGAL Mary Jane CD 4 Track B/w If You Please, This Life And She's Got Sou USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
STING When We Dance CD 4 Track Edit Digi Pack B/w If You Love Somebody Set Them USD $6.78 Buy It Now 1 day
WILL YOUNG Don't Let Me Down CD 4 Track B/w You And I, If That's What You Want A USD $3.76 Buy It Now 1 day
SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD Hooked On You CD 4 Track B/w Sit And Wait, If Only I Could And USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
TRANSVISION VAMP If Looks Could Kill CD 4 Track 7" Version Pic Disc In Fold Out USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
JIMMY CLIFF Wild World 7" 4 Track Ep B/w Harder They Come,you Can Get It If You USD $10.61 Buy It Now 1 day
LARSEN B Marilyn 7" 4 Track B/w Year Of The Rat, If I Know You And Tailgate Pic USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
KIN KELLY If I Could Hear Your Voice 7" With Folded A4 Press Release B/w Dangero USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
LEAH BELL If You're Looking For A Way Out 7" 4 Track B/w Miss You Nights And No USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
JIMMY RUFFIN Farewell Is A Lonely Sound 7" 4 Prong Label Design B/w If You Will USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
JOE DOLAN Make Me An Island 7" 4 Pronged Label Deisgn B/w If You Care A Little B USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
CASHMAN AND WEST Songman 7" Demo 4 Pronged Centre B/w If You Were A Rainbow UK USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
CAROUSEL S/t 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring Carousel Waltz, You'll Never Walk Alone, If USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID CASSIDY If I Didn't Care 7" 4 Pronged Centre B/w Frozen Noses UK Bell 197 USD $6.78 Buy It Now 1 day
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" 4 Track Ep Featuring If You Miss Me At The Back Of The USD $7.58 Buy It Now 1 day
ROGER WHITTAKER If I Were A Rich Man 7" 4 Track Ep B/w Jaluo Song, Mexican Whist USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"