IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
Vinyl$25.00 (used)
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
If by IF (2014-05-04)If by IF (2014-05-04)
Imports
If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)
Repertoire
4 by IF (2013-05-04)4 by IF (2013-05-04)
Imports

THE S.O.S. BAND "IF YOU WANT MY LOVE" 4Z9 04161 (1983) * i combine shipping * USD $2.97 Buy It Now 1h 43m
trash museum - if drinking don't kill me.. +3 (de)1984 4trk 12" buro desk1 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
MOCKERS:Don't Let Me Down-Don't You Know 4:36-Tequila-If You Want Me-US. Tyro EP USD $348.98 Buy It Now 3h 56m
MAMAS AND THE PAPAS IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES & EARS REEL TAPE 3 3/4 IPS USD $40.00 Buy It Now 4h
Syreeta 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) If The Shoe Fits UK MOTC4 MOTORCITY USD $16.64 Buy It Now 4h 59m
SPILLER_Groovejet_if This Ain't Love_used CD-s_ships from AUS!_zz3_K4 USD $9.42 Buy It Now 10h 38m
BOB DYLAN - IF YOUR MEMORY SERVES YOU WELL; (4 CD, SC Records) USD $75.00 Buy It Now 11h 32m
LONNIE GORDON_If I Have To Stand Alone_used VINYL 12" inch_ships from AUS!_shM4R USD $23.56 Buy It Now 12h 31m
Status Quo If You Can't Stand The Heat... LP. Buy 5 LPs 4 £3.99 Post UK USD $5.56 Buy It Now 12h 48m
SNIFF 'N' THE TEARS Moment Of Weakness / If I Knew Then 4 USD $7.81 Buy It Now 13h 9m
JON SECADA - IF YOU GO - 4 TRACK UK CD SINGLE USD $2.77 Buy It Now 13h 59m
FISHMONKEYMAN - IF I'VE TOLD YOU ONCE - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE - MINT USD $3.75 Buy It Now 14h 23m
TERRAPLANE IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES UK 12" P/S & POSTER TERRAQ4 EPIC 1986 ROCK USD $27.87 Buy It Now 14h 57m
JEFFREY OSBORNE_If My Brother's In Trouble_used VINYL 12" single_zz27_shX4r USD $23.56 Buy It Now 16h 46m
T Texas Tyler 78 PROMO ON 4 Star TO PROVE MY LOVE IS TRUE / IF YOU HAD A HEART USD $14.75 Buy It Now 17h 31m
PETER COX : If You Walk Away - Limited Edition 1997 UK 4-trk CD single, GO WEST USD $2.08 Buy It Now 17h 34m
DODGY - IF YOUR THINKING OF ME 4 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $1.38 Buy It Now 21h 2m
9.5cm by 4.5cm Promotional Sticker FIELDS If You Fail We All Fail NEW / MINT USD $2.77 [0 bids]
Phil Collins: If Leaving Me Is Easy. 4 track vinyl single. 1981. VS423B USD $5.23 Buy It Now 22h 41m
thompson twins vinyl record album x4 set a product if quick step USD $8.35 [0 bids]
The Beatles If I Fell,Tell me Why,... 4 songs 7" 45 Capitol Green Label Mexico USD $12.60 Buy It Now 23h 12m
45 RPM 7" Record Huey Lewis & The News If This Is It & Change Of Heart VS4 42803 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 23h 30m
AC/DC If You Want Blood You've Got It CS 19212 4 Cassette Tape USD $7.19 Buy It Now 23h 43m
BILLIE HOLIDY Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 4x LP Box EX 1975 Columbia w/ Book USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BILLIE HOLIDAY Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 4x LP Box EX 1975 Columbia w Book USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Ted Nugent If you can't Lick em.... Advert Single A4 Page to Frame? USD $7.67 Buy It Now 1 day
PJ & Duncan Ant & Dec If I Give You My Number CDSTAS2732 4 track Promo CD USD $6.93 Buy It Now 1 day
RAYMOND LEFEVRE SOUL COAXING/IF I WERE A CARPENTER- 4 CORNERS 45RPM USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Amen Corner (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice - 4 Prong UK 7" vinyl single record USD $18.05 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It Europe LP /4* USD $14.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Patti LaBelle - If You Don't Know Me By Now 7" VG+ ZS4 05755 Vinyl 45 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PROMO Freestyle 12" Jaya "If You Leave Me Now" 4 Mixes LMR 1989 VG+ USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MINT- CARAVAN IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN UK 2001 PROG ROCK CD + 4 BONUS TRK USD $12.55 Buy It Now 1 day
BLUE FLY BY II / IF YOU COME BACK EP AUSTRALIAN LIMITED EDITION 4 TRACK CD - VG USD $6.87 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It D LP /4* USD $14.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Wet wet wet If I never see you again 4 track 1997 CD single USD $0.68 [0 bids]
RIHANNA : IF IT'S LOVIN' THAT YOU WANT (4 TRACK AUSTRALIAN) RARE OOP CD SINGLE USD $1.18 [0 bids]
Melanie C (Spice Girls) - If That Were Me - Deleted 4 track Enhanced CD USD $6.96 Buy It Now 1 day
SHERYL CROW - IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE 1996 A&M USD $2.63 Buy It Now 1 day
If-If 4 CD NEW USD $20.30 Buy It Now 1 day
TOM ROBINSON BAND - SING IF YOU'RE GLAD TO BE GAY + 4 , 7" VINYL SINGLE USD $1.74 [0 bids]
U2 set of 4 cd singles I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CRAZY x 4 EU USD $15.00 [0 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY - SUSPICIOUS, KENTUCKY, IF I, BLUE XMAS- GOLD STANDARD- 4 45'S LOT USD $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
TRINI LOPEZ, TRINI TRAX. LA BAMBA / AMERICA / LEMON TREE / IF I HAD A HAMMER + 4 USD $1.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Debbie Gibson - Autographed D.G.I.F Fan Club Issue Vol 5 No 4 USD $6.96 [0 bids]
IF - IF 4 USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $13.31 Buy It Now 1 day
4 CDs ANDREA MARCOVICCI If I Were a Bell RODGERS&HART Live From London JUST KERN USD $29.99 [0 bids]
REGINA-If You're Gonna Love Me-Rare Northern Soul 45-COLUMBIA #4-43366 USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Michigan 4 If You Believe In Magic 7" Holy Ground HG112 F 1960s record is only i USD $209.09 [0 bids]
RARE BOB DYLAN 2CD SET - IF DOGS RUN FREE - WASHINGTON APRIL 4 2004 + BONUS USD $39.02 [0 bids]
JEANIE TRACY - If this is love - 1994 UK 4-track 12" vinyl single USD $18.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Brownstone - If You Love Me / I Can't Tell You Why -4 trk cd w.Rmxs of both Trks USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Sting - If I Ever Lose My Faith In You - CD (4 x Track A&M 580 191-2) USD $11.77 Buy It Now 2 days
ROLLING STONES: Got Live If You Want It! LP (Germany, reissue, 2" x 4" tear in USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BLUES 45 RPM - ANDREW BROWN - 4 BROTHERS 48446 - "IF WE TRY/YOU OUGHT...ASHAMED" USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Lawrence Go Away Little Girl If You Love Her Tell Her So 45 4-42601 Sleeve USD $0.99 [0 bids]
ZZ4 LUCK 010 PAULA MOTES COUNTRY BOPPER IM WONDERING IF YOU'RE THINKING LONELY USD $19.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Huey Lewis and the News -VS4 42803 - If This Is It / Change of Heart 45 USD $2.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Terraplane If That's What It Takes 7" vinyl single record UK TERRA4 EPIC 1987 USD $13.86 Buy It Now 2 days
Heartworms If Everything Goes As Planned EP 7" vinyl single record USA POOF4 USD $13.86 Buy It Now 2 days
DIONNE WARWICK Lot 4 soul r&b 7" Make It Easy Love of My Man If We Only Have EXC USD $7.95 Buy It Now 2 days
sealed STING If You Love Somebody Set Them Free 4 track 12" USD $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Terraplane ?- If That's What It Takes 12'' Vinyl 1986 Epic ?- TERRA T4 USD $5.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Theaudience If you can't do it when you're young 4 track CD single USD $0.68 [0 bids]
Squeeze 33rpm 5-1/4" If I Didn't Love You (Rock) 1980 A&M 1616-S USD $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
[GOT7]4 albums set/Flight departure : Fly 2 versions+If you do Mad 2 versions USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
sting cd single."if i ever lose faith",4 tracks.1993.ex cond.incl live tracks.. USD $5.56 Buy It Now 2 days
Brooks & Dunn CD Collection Lot of 4 VG Borderline If You See Her Hard Workin USD $13.95 Buy It Now 2 days
4/3/95PGN65 ALBUM ADVERT 7X5" SMALL FACTORY : FOR IF YOU CANNOT FLY USD $6.97 Buy It Now 2 days
CODE RED - What would you do if....? - 1998 UK 4-track 12" vinyl single USD $27.87 Buy It Now 2 days
LIGHTNING SEEDS - What If... (UK Ltd Ed 4 Trk CD Single Pt 2) USD $4.86 Buy It Now 2 days
TONY TONI TONE - If I Had No Loot - 1993 UK 4-track 12" Vinyl Single USD $20.90 Buy It Now 2 days
IF I WERE A CARPENTER / JESSE JAMES (TRAD.) (45/7"), BOB SEGER,Very Good, #### 4 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JENNIFER LOPEZ-if you had my love -EUROPEAN 12"VINYL 4 mix EX/ unplayed USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You [+4] Japan CD USD $5.50 [2 bids]
DODGY - If You're Thinking Of Me (UK 4 Trk 1996 CD Single) USD $3.47 Buy It Now 3 days
WET WET WET - If I Never See You Again (UK Ltd Ed 4 Tk CD Single Pt 2/Postcards) USD $5.28 Buy It Now 3 days
HARRY SECOMBE Songs To Remember 7" VINYL UK Woman's Own 4 Track EP Featuring If USD $4.38 Buy It Now 3 days
ODYSSEY (DISCO GROUP) If You're Lookin For A Way Out 7" VINYL UK Rca 1980 4 USD $1.46 Buy It Now 3 days
LARSEN B Marilyn 7" VINYL UK Try Harder 2008 4 Track B/W Year Of The Rat, If I USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" VINYL UK Cbs 1963 4 Track EP Featuring If You Miss USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
PETE SEEGER In Concert 7" VINYL UK Cbs 1963 4 Track EP Featuring If You Miss Me USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN If Not For You 7" VINYL UK Blue Pye 1971 4 Prong Label USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
DODGY I Need Another 12" VINYL UK A&M 1993 4 Track Dj Promo B/W Never Again, If USD $4.38 Buy It Now 3 days
OBSESSION (DANCE) If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Almighty 1993 4 Track USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
MCALMONT Either 12" VINYL UK Hut 1994 4 Track B/w Edit, You Made Me And As If USD $4.38 Buy It Now 3 days
SYD STRAW Think Too Hard 12" VINYL UK Virgin 4 Track B/w Hard Times, If You USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
TAMPERER FEATURING MAYA If You Buy This Record 12" VINYL UK Pepper 1998 4 Track USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
K.D. LANG If I Were You 12" VINYL US Warner Bros 1995 4 Track Promo (Proa7932) USD $4.38 Buy It Now 3 days
MOTHERS (90'S GROUP) Even If We Lose 12" VINYL UK Elektra 4 Track Promo (Sam712) USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
FRANKY FONELL If You Believe 12" VINYL Dutch Bmg 1994 4 Track Radio Edit USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
JUNIOR DUNN If You Leave Me Now 12" VINYL Hardcore 4 Track B/W You Should Have USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
JEANIE TRACY If This Is Love 12" VINYL UK Pulse 8 1994 4 Track Band Of Gypsies USD $4.38 Buy It Now 3 days
28IF Top Of The Pops 7" VINYL UK Diva 1991 B/W Instrumental (Diva4) USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
AL B SURE If I'm Not Your Lover 12" VINYL UK Warner Bros 1988 4 Track 12" Remix USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
LONNIE GORDON If You Really Love Me 12" VINYL UK Big Bang 1996 4 Track True Mix USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
KIM WILDE If I Can't Have You 12" VINYL UK Mca 1993 4 Track Kelsey Mix B/W Dub USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
JULIO IGLESIAS If I Ever Needed You 12" VINYL UK Cbs 1989 4 Track Remix B/W As USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
DON JACK & THE DESIGN Back Chat 12" VINYL UK Private 1987 4 Track B/w If This USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
LUTHER VANDROSS So Amazing 12" VINYL UK Epic 1986 4 Track B/W Instrumental, If USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"