IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
If 4 (1972)(12If 4 (1972)(12" Vinyl LP)(United Artists UAG 29315)
United Artists
Vinyl$25.00 (used)
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
If by IF (2014-05-04)If by IF (2014-05-04)
Imports
If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)
Repertoire
4 by IF (2013-05-04)4 by IF (2013-05-04)
Imports

Elvis Presley Raised On Rock / 4 Ol' Time Sake/ If u talk n your sleep 2- 45 set USD $14.95 [0 bids]
ELTON JOHN IF THE RIVER CAN BEND 4TRK SINGLE CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h
RARE Promo Dance Pop 12" Tina Arena - If I Was a River (4 Mixes) Epic NM 1998 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 39m
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD - If You're Not The One (UK 4 Tk Enhanced CD Single) USD $5.73 Buy It Now 4h 54m
BARRY MANILOW- 4 LPs Paradis cafe, If I should love again, GHits v2 USD $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
John Cougar Nothin' Matters and What If It Did cassette tape 814 994-4 M-1 USD $2.50 [0 bids]
Symphony No.4 If I Were A Swan To Touch The Sky - K. Puts (CD Used Like New) USD $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
COUNTING CROWS IF I COULD GIVE ALL MY LOVE 4 TRACK CD - NEAR MINT - LN USD $10.94 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Chicago If You Leave Me Now - 4 Prong 7" vinyl single record UK SCBS4603 CBS USD $13.28 Buy It Now 6h 36m
Tony Toni Tone - If I Had No Loot (4 track CD single) USD $2.61 Buy It Now 9h 32m
Crystal Waters,CD Single,4 mixes,Say If You Feel Alright USD $0.99 Buy It Now 9h 37m
PAULINE HENRY - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU (4 track CD single) USD $2.61 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Sheryl Crow - If It Makes You Happy 4 Track CD Single USD $6.00 Buy It Now 12h 41m
EAST SEVENTEEN FEAT GABRIELLE IF YOU EVER 4 TRACK AUSTRALIA CARD SLEEVE CD - VGC USD $6.75 Buy It Now 12h 51m
LENNY KRAVITZ - IF YOU CAN'T SAY NO - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE - 1998 VIRGIN USD $2.66 Buy It Now 15h 14m
KIM WILDE-I SWEAR + IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU (4 TRACKS EACH) ( 2 DISCS) NM/VG+ UK 12" USD $16.98 Buy It Now 17h 46m
Rod Stewart - If We Fall In Love Tonight [Cassette 1996] Warner Bros. 9 46452-4 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 50m
Elvis Presley - Good Rockin' Tonight - I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine, 4... USD $22.93 Buy It Now 18h 12m
Elvis Presley - Good Rockin' Tonight - I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine, 4... USD $22.93 Buy It Now 18h 22m
Elvis Presley - Good Rockin' Tonight - I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine, 4... USD $19.06 Buy It Now 22h 2m
Elvis Presley - Good Rockin' Tonight - I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine, 4... USD $19.06 Buy It Now 22h 7m
If 4, If CD | 4009910109823 | New USD $12.56 Buy It Now 22h 53m
4 hits Larry Clinton Lover If I Loved You Bewitched Where 7" 45 rpm TOPS record USD $1.95 [0 bids]
ALEXA DE STRANGE-TITS OF DEATH-RARE 4 TRACK CD/PUNK ROCK/BLAZE/STARDUST/IF ONLY USD $2.66 [0 bids]
WET WET WET - IF I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN: PART 2 - CD (1997) 4 TRACKS USD $2.66 Buy It Now 1 day
BARRY MANILOW Live, Barry, One Voice & If I Should LP Vinyl VG++ 4 Lot USD $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
+4 BONUS TRACKS-> TAMAR BRAXTON Calling All Lovers DELUXE CD If I Don't Have You USD $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Police Sting / Europe CD / If I Ever Loose My Faith - 4 tracks USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Police - Sting / UK promo 12" / If You Love Somebody / AMDJ4 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sealed ROD McKUEN - GREATEST HITS Vol 4 LP 1973 WB Never opened IF YOU GO AWAY USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot of Four (4) Rod Stewart Used CD "If We Fall In Love Tonight, "Old, Borrowed USD $10.00 [0 bids]
Noel Gallagher - If I Had A Gun... - Funky Art Print - A4 Size USD $8.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This... - Funky Art Print - A4 Size USD $8.02 Buy It Now 1 day
RONAN KEATING_If Tomorrow Never Comes_used CD-s_ships from AUS!_zz4_Y4 USD $9.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Raheem the Dream, If You Ain't Got No Money + 4, promo 5 track 1995 12" on RTD USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
If I Had a Hammer : The Folk Songs of our Land (4 CD Set) USD $59.39 Buy It Now 1 day
TOM ROBINSON BAND - SING IF YOU'RE GLAD TO BE GAY + 4 , 7" VINYL SINGLE USD $1.67 [0 bids]
TOPOL If I Were A Rich Man 4 track Promo CD Single USD $24.01 [0 bids]
SHAI If I ever Fall in Love 4TRX w/ RARE EDITS & A RARE MIX USA CD single 1992 USD $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Olivia Newton-John 4 Lp Lot Let Me Be, If You Love, Have You Never, Physical USD $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sting Lot of 4 CDs Songs from Labyrinth Dream of Blue Turtles If on a Winter's + USD $3.94 [0 bids]
PJ & Duncan Ant & Dec If I Give You My Number CDSTAS2732 4 track Promo CD USD $6.64 Buy It Now 2 days
BREAD If/ Take Comfort 45 Elektra EKM-45720 VG++ PICTURE SLEEVE B4 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
?? GABRIELLE IF YOU REALLY CARED 4 TRACK CD SINGLE NEAR EX CONDITION ?? USD $3.34 Buy It Now 2 days
Bryan Gilbert Group If You Know The Lord XPR 3009 4 track EP 7" Vinyl Single 45 USD $14.92 [0 bids]
9.5cm by 4.5cm Promotional Sticker FIELDS If You Fail We All Fail NEW / MINT USD $2.66 [0 bids]
Halo James Magic Hour 7" Epic HALO4 EX/EX 1990 picture sleeve, Magic Hour/If Tom USD $8.67 Buy It Now 2 days
Marc Almond - "If You Go Away" the extended play 4 track CD EP SEALED Soft Cell USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BROWN, Andrew (If We Try) 4 Brothers 446 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Billie Holiday - Ain't Nobody's Business if I Do used 4xLP STEREO w/Book BOMR USD $19.99 [0 bids]
BILLIE HOLIDAY Vinyl Record Box Set (4): Ain't nobody's business if I do (1975) USD $12.95 [0 bids]
USD $16.95 Buy It Now
Rolling Stones Got LIVE if you want it Reel Tape Tested Guaranteed 3-3/4ips MINT USD $72.50 Buy It Now 2 days
ALL 4 ONE I Swear / Here if You're Ready Cassette Tape SINGLE USD $1.99 [0 bids]
4x Wanda Jackson Rockabilly 45:Rock Your Baby,Middle Of A Heartache,If I Cried.. USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
TRINI LOPEZ A-Me-Ri-Ca 7" VINYL UK Reprise 4 Track EP Featuring If I Had A USD $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
2PAC I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto CD 4 Tracks, Soulpower Hip Hop Radio Mix/S USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
JENNIFER LOPEZ - IF YOU HAD MY LOVE - 1999 4 TRACK AUDIO CD SINGLE ALBUM VGC USD $3.09 Buy It Now 2 days
BLUE If You Come Back CD 4 Tracks, Radio Edit/8 Jam Street Mix/Blacksmith Smoot USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
COLIN JAMES If You Lean On Me CD 4 Tracks, Radio Edit/Album Version/Back In My USD $9.34 Buy It Now 2 days
DODGY If You'Re Thinking Of Me CD 4 Tracks Inc Pebble Mill Jam/Forever Remain/G USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
EAST 17 FEAT GABRIELLE If You Ever CD 4 Tracks, Smoove Mix 7 Inch/Ruff Mix/Deep USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
EDWYN COLLINS Keep On Burning CD 4 Tracks Inc If You Could Love Me/Lava Camp/Th USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
BLUE - IF YOU COME BACK (4 TRK ECD) (REF B6) USD $5.33 Buy It Now 2 days
GOOD CHARLOTTE The Anthem CD 4 Tracks, Orig/Video/If You Leave/Motivation Procl USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
JON SECADA If You Go CD 4 Tracks, Orig Version/Spanish Version/Spanglish Versio USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
LEMAR Someone Should Tell You CD 4 Tracks, Orig Version/Kardinal Beats Remix/If USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
LIGHTNING SEEDS What If CD 4 Tracks, Orig/Leuroj Slo N Easy Mix/Never/The Crunc USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
MN8 If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Tracks, Radio Mix/Absolute 12 Inch Mix/Club Mix/ USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
The Police Sting / Europe CD / If I Ever Loose My Faith #2 - 4 tracks USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STYLOPHONIC If Everybody In The World CD 4 Tracks, Radio Edit/D Wynn USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
WET WET WET If I Never See You Again CD With Postcards, 4 Tracks, Orig Version/ USD $6.67 Buy It Now 2 days
5/4/86pg5 Single Advert 15x10" Bonnie Tyler, If You Were A Woman And I Was A Man USD $20.04 Buy It Now 2 days
15/11/86pg16 Single Advert 4x10" If It's Frankie, Warriors USD $4.68 Buy It Now 2 days
How Will You Know If You Never Try [4/21] * by COIN (CD, Apr-2017, Sony Music) USD $10.02 Buy It Now 2 days
STING-IF I EVER LOSE MY FAITH IN YOU - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $1.32 Buy It Now 2 days
Status Quo If You Can't Stand The Heat... LP. Buy 5 LPs 4 £3.99 Post UK USD $5.33 Buy It Now 2 days
RUFFO Y SUS 4 EP Spain 1964 If I had a hammer +3 ( In Spanish ) USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Wet wet wet If I never see you again 4 track 1997 CD single USD $0.65 [0 bids]
CHRIS BRAIDE: IF I HADN'T GOT YOU [4 Track CD + Mini Poster] USD $1.34 [0 bids]
JLO JENNIFER LOPEZ IF YOU HAD MY LOVE 4TRK SINGLE CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BACK 2 BACK IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 4TRK SINGLE CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE ROLLING STONES -- GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT -- 4-TRK 7" REEL Tape 3 3/4 IPS† USD $24.16 [2 bids]
CD Hanson IF ONLY Special Remixed + VIDEO 4 track USD $12.47 Buy It Now 3 days
Jars Of Clay (4 CD LOT) If I Left The Zoo / Drummer Boy / Much Afraid / Self USD $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
If It Wasn't 4 Da' Blues, Big James, Good USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Andrew Brown "If We Try" - 4 Brothers 45rpm EX USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
38 SPECIAL If I'd Been The One 12" A&M Rec. SP-17246 US 1983 VG++ TEST PRESS 4E USD $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SCIENTISTS OF MODERN MUSIC_Because If We Die_used CD_ships from AUS!_zz4_xyz1a USD $9.05 Buy It Now 3 days
CD Goodfellaz If you walk Away Suger honey ice Tea HEY 4 track USD $12.47 Buy It Now 3 days
LUCIANA - IF YOU WANT - 4 TRACK UK CD SINGLE USD $2.66 Buy It Now 3 days
DODGY - If You're Thinking Of Me (UK 4 Tk 1996 CD Single) USD $4.40 Buy It Now 3 days
Vader ?- An Act Of Darkness / I.F.Y. USD $14.99 [0 bids]
USD $19.99 Buy It Now
Pete Seeger - If I Had A Hammer - Vol. 3 RARE 1958 Israeli Israel 4xTracks EP 7" USD $27.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALEXANDER O'NEAL - If You Were Here Tonight ? song lyric poster Edition Print #3 USD $11.96 Buy It Now 3 days
Theaudience If you can't do it when you're young 4 track CD single USD $0.65 [0 bids]
MN8-If You Only Let Me In CD 4 Tracks, Radio Mix/Absolute 12 Inch Mix/Club Mix/ USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Used Music CD Liquidation Sale ** Artists: B-B #117 ** Buy 1 Get 1 flat ship fee USD $1.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Transvision Vamp - If Looks Could Kill (1991 MCA Promotional 12" EP) 4 Tracks USD $9.34 Buy It Now 3 days
LAWSON & 4 MORE:If You Want Me You Can Find Me-Back For-U.S.7" 66 Ardent 105 PSL USD $448.98 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW Taiwan 2-CD w/OBI+4 Video GIL OFARIM Here I Am 1998 TALK TO YOU-IF YOU ONLY USD $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"