IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
$11.14
If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)If 4 by IF (2007-08-14)
Repertoire
$33.05
If by IF (2014-05-04)If by IF (2014-05-04)
$35.99
If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)If Plus If Live by IF (2012-05-04)
Repertoire
$25.11
4 by IF (2013-05-04)4 by IF (2013-05-04)
$33.18
If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)If 5 by IF (2016-05-04)
$32.32

MOCKERS:Don't Let Me Down-Don't You Know 4:36-Tequila-If You Want Me-US. Tyro EP USD $348.98 Buy It Now 1h 54m
BILLIE HOLIDAY: Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 4x LP Jazz BOX w/ Booklet USD $11.00 Buy It Now 5h 39m
SPILLER_Groovejet_if This Ain't Love_used CD-s_ships from AUS!_zz3_K4 USD $8.90 Buy It Now 8h 35m
LONNIE GORDON_If I Have To Stand Alone_used VINYL 12" inch_ships from AUS!_shM4R USD $22.26 Buy It Now 10h 29m
SNIFF 'N' THE TEARS Moment Of Weakness / If I Knew Then 4 USD $7.38 Buy It Now 11h 6m
THE WILDHEARTS - IF LIFE IS LIKE A LOVE BANK - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE - 1995 EASTWEST USD $9.28 Buy It Now 12h 53m
JEFFREY OSBORNE_If My Brother's In Trouble_used VINYL 12" single_zz27_shX4r USD $22.26 Buy It Now 14h 44m
JON SECADA - IF YOU GO - 4 TRACK UK CD SINGLE USD $2.64 Buy It Now 15h 13m
LEMAR-IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE. 2004 4 TRACK CD SINGLE INC VIDEO. POP DISCO SOUL USD $1.66 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Prince x 4 - 7' Singles - If I Was Your Girlfriend, Kiss, Sign of the Times Etc. USD $8.63 [0 bids]
Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind GER LP 1973 /4* USD $18.49 Buy It Now 17h 17m
Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops Play the World's Best Loved Melodies Box Set [V USD $26.99 Buy It Now 17h 27m
T Texas Tyler 78 PROMO ON 4 Star TO PROVE MY LOVE IS TRUE / IF YOU HAD A HEART USD $18.18 Buy It Now 19h 26m
Danny Wilson - If You Really Love Me - 7 " 4 Track 1991 EP - VS 1363 USD $2.64 [0 bids]
?? EMBRACE IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN CD MAGAZINE ADVERT PAGE A4 ?? 005 USD $3.91 Buy It Now 20h 36m
The Beatles If I Fell,Tell me Why,... 4 songs 7" 45 Capitol Green Label Mexico USD $12.00 Buy It Now 21h 10m
45 RPM 7" Record Huey Lewis & The News If This Is It & Change Of Heart VS4 42803 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 28m
AC/DC If You Want Blood You've Got It CS 19212 4 Cassette Tape USD $7.19 Buy It Now 21h 40m
BILLIE HOLIDY Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do 4x LP Box EX 1975 Columbia w/ Book USD $20.00 Buy It Now 22h 16m
(If Paradise Is) Half As Nice - 4 Prong Amen Corner UK 7" vinyl single record USD $17.19 Buy It Now 22h 57m
Terraplane If That's What It Takes UK 7" vinyl single record TERRA4 EPIC 1987 USD $13.19 Buy It Now 22h 58m
PEGGY KING-45 C'mon Over/ If You Don't Love Me- PROMO Columbia-4-40996 1957 NM- USD $3.00 [0 bids]
Four Tops If I Were A Carpenter - 4pr UK 7" vinyl single record TMG647 USD $37.09 Buy It Now 1 day
Patti LaBelle - If You Don't Know Me By Now 7" VG+ ZS4 05755 Vinyl 45 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
If You Leave Me Now - 4 Prong Chicago 7" vinyl single record UK SCBS4603 CBS USD $13.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Syreeta If The Shoe Fits UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) MOTC4 MOTORCITY USD $15.85 Buy It Now 1 day
PROMO Freestyle 12" Jaya "If You Leave Me Now" 4 Mixes LMR 1989 VG+ USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Billie Holiday "Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do" 4 Lp Set USD $39.95 [0 bids]
JOHNNY MATHES - Broken Heart? / If We Only Have Love - 4-45470 - 45rpm USD $2.45 Buy It Now 1 day
TONY BENNETT - Take The Moment / If I Ruled The World - 4-43220 - 45rpm USD $2.45 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It D LP /4* USD $14.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Melanie C (Spice Girls) - If That Were Me - Deleted 4 track Enhanced CD USD $6.62 Buy It Now 1 day
SHERYL CROW - IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE 1996 A&M USD $2.51 Buy It Now 1 day
If-If 4 CD NEW USD $21.85 Buy It Now 1 day
4 - Perry Como 45 rpm records - More - If - Dream On Little Dreamer - Girl With USD $1.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Pauline Henry -If I Can't have You -4 trk cd w. 7:13 Phat n Phunky Club Rmx-Rare USD $3.99 [0 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY - SUSPICIOUS, KENTUCKY, IF I, BLUE XMAS- GOLD STANDARD- 4 45'S LOT USD $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
REGINA-If You're Gonna Love Me-Rare Northern Soul 45-COLUMBIA #4-43366 USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Collection of 4 Barry Manilow vinyl LPs One Voice If I Should Love Again 2:00AM USD $3.97 [0 bids]
JEANIE TRACY - If this is love - 1994 UK 4-track 12" vinyl single USD $19.89 Buy It Now 1 day
BENZ IF I REMEMBER 4 TRACK CD SINGLE INC POSTER FREE P&P USD $3.32 Buy It Now 1 day
SIMPLY RED - IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW (EP) U.S. CD-SINGLE 1989 4 TRACKS USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ROLLING STONES: Got Live If You Want It! LP (Germany, reissue, 2" x 4" tear in USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BLUES 45 RPM - ANDREW BROWN - 4 BROTHERS 48446 - "IF WE TRY/YOU OUGHT...ASHAMED" USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SLAUGHTER HOUSE 4 7" 33RPM PS EP S/T ROCK PUNK GARAGE 1984 R.I.F. USD $12.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Huey Lewis and the News -VS4 42803 - If This Is It / Change of Heart 45 USD $2.95 Buy It Now 2 days
If I Had a Hammer The Folk Songs of Our Land Reader's Digest 4 CD Set SEALED USD $64.99 Buy It Now 2 days
If I Had A Hammer by Various (4) CD Readers Digest Rhino Fatbox 75 Songs USD $29.98 Buy It Now 2 days
GOT7 4th Mini Album MAD (If you do) Vertical version CD + Booklet + NO Photocard USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ALL 4 ONE I Swear / Here if You're Ready Cassette Tape SINGLE USD $1.99 Buy It Now 2 days
sealed STING If You Love Somebody Set Them Free 4 track 12" USD $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BLUE FLY BY II / IF YOU COME BACK EP AUSTRALIAN LIMITED EDITION 4 TRACK CD - VG USD $6.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Barry Manilow -One Voice/ If I Should Love Again/ Manilow 2 /Manilow / 4 LP Lot USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Pop(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 2 days
New Age(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
New Age(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Country(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 2 days
Country(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 2 days
R&B(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Alternative Rock(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Christian(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Christian(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Jazz(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 2 days
[GOT7]4 albums set/Flight departure : Fly 2 versions+If you do Mad 2 versions USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
If I...The Songs of SQUEEZE Revisited CD's NEW 4-Discs Tribute Argybargy Sealed USD $9.20 Buy It Now 2 days
Styles(15) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
(4) prog LP LOT rock THE NICE Keith Emerson IF Renaissance COCKNEY REBEL glam USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MN8 ?- If You Only Let Me In - Columbia - 661325 4 - Cassette Single USD $2.64 Buy It Now 2 days
Brooks & Dunn CD Collection Lot of 4 VG Borderline If You See Her Hard Workin USD $12.55 Buy It Now 2 days
CODE RED - What would you do if....? - 1998 UK 4-track 12" vinyl single USD $26.53 Buy It Now 2 days
LIGHTNING SEEDS - What If... (UK Ltd Ed 4 Trk CD Single Pt 2) USD $4.63 Buy It Now 2 days
TONY TONI TONE - If I Had No Loot - 1993 UK 4-track 12" Vinyl Single USD $18.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Mica Paris ?- If I Love U 2 Nite - CD Single 4th & Broadway BRCD 207 UK 1991 USD $58.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IF I WERE A CARPENTER / JESSE JAMES (TRAD.) (45/7"), BOB SEGER,Very Good, #### 4 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JENNIFER LOPEZ-if you had my love -EUROPEAN 12"VINYL 4 mix EX/ unplayed USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DODGY - If You're Thinking Of Me (UK 4 Trk 1996 CD Single) USD $3.30 Buy It Now 2 days
!!! - As If LCD Soundsystem Hot Chip Radio 4 The Rapture Boards of Canada Burial USD $2.65 [0 bids]
WET WET WET - If I Never See You Again (UK Ltd Ed 4 Tk CD Single Pt 2/Postcards) USD $5.03 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Sinatra 45 RPM - If I Forget - Columbia 4-41133. 1958. Columbia Sleeve USD $0.49 [1 bids]
PATTI LABELLE If Only You Knew / I'll Never, Never Give Up 45rpm VG+ ZS4 04248 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RARE If God Will Send His Angels 4-Tracks CD Single by U2 1997 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
AC/DC VERY RARE TICKET 30/4/1978 CONCERT. BON SCOTT FOR IF YOU WANT BLOOD ALBUM USD $370.93 Buy It Now 3 days
EVELYN 'CHAMPAGNE' KING I DONT KNOW IF ITS RIGHT RCA 'A' LABEL 12" p/s q4 USD $6.62 Buy It Now 3 days
RITA ISRAEL HEBREW CD 2008 HED ARZI CD SINGLE PROMO IF I WAS 4:09 USD $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Val Doonican If I Knew Then What I Know Now - 4pr UK 7" vinyl single record USD $13.19 Buy It Now 3 days
If The Kids Are United - 4-Prong Sham 69 UK 7" vinyl single record 2059050 USD $19.84 Buy It Now 3 days
Odyssey If You're Lookin' For A Way Out - 4-Prong 7" vinyl single record UK USD $14.53 Buy It Now 3 days
If You're Happy and You Know it: Volume 3 (ABC for Kids) (CD) NEW (Region 4) USD $13.09 Buy It Now 3 days
DESIRE If I Can't Hold You Tonight 12" VINYL 4 Track B/w Vocal Mix, Instrument USD $14.32 Buy It Now 3 days
Wills,viola - If You Could Read My Mind NEW CD USD $10.35 Buy It Now 3 days
If - If 4 (NEW CD) USD $14.92 Buy It Now 3 days
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It GER LP1978 /4* USD $16.62 Buy It Now 3 days
CHICAGO if you leave me now ORIGINAL US LP Saturday in the Park/26 or 6 to 4 NM USD $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVINA LLOYD - IF i know love - 1991 UK 4-track 12" Vinyl single USD $12.59 Buy It Now 3 days
The Blue Notes/4 Haven Knights-If You Love Me-In My Lonely Room unplayed 45rpm USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DODGY If you're thinking of me 4 TRACK CD NEW - NOT SEALED USD $3.30 Buy It Now 3 days
Phil Collins: If Leaving Me Is Easy. 4 track vinyl single. 1981. VS423B USD $4.84 Buy It Now 3 days
Wet wet wet If I never see you again 4 track 1997 CD single USD $0.65 [0 bids]
BOX SET~BILLIE HOLIDAY~"AIN'T NOBODY"S BUSINESS IF I DO"~COLUMBIA P4 12969~4LP'S USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PHIL COLLINS - If Leaving Me Is Easy - 1981 UK 4-track 7" vinyl EP USD $13.26 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"