IF 4

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP United Artist TSUAG29315 (UK) (1972)
CD Repertoire REPUK1098 (2007)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 4 Music

If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
DODGY IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME CD SINGLE 4 TRACK UK USD $9.36 Buy It Now 45m 37s
SUGAR IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MIND CD SINGLE 4 TRACK UK USD $9.36 Buy It Now 49m 6s
EAST 17 ft GABRIELLE - If You Ever (UK 4 Trk CD Single) USD $5.45 Buy It Now 1h
Flamingos / Dreamlovers - Lovers Never Say Goodbye b/w If I Should Lose You 4... USD $10.64 Buy It Now 1h 2m
ELTON JOHN IF THE RIVER CAN BEND CD SINGLE 4 TRACK UK USD $7.80 Buy It Now 1h 3m
SHERYL CROW IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY CD SINGLE 4 TRACK UK USD $7.80 Buy It Now 1h 10m
MICHAEL BOLTON AIN'T GOT NOTHING IF.. CD SINGLE 4 TRACK 1991 UK USD $12.49 Buy It Now 1h 10m
KIM WILDE IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU CD SINGLE 4 TRACK DIGI PACK UK USD $9.36 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Lot of 4 Classic Rock Moody Blues Albums In Search If The Lost Chord Question USD $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 2m
If The Shoe Fits-Smplr LP-Laurie Anderson-Echo & Bunnymen-Juluka-Burnett-Gang 4! USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Gabrielle If I Really Cared 4 Track Cd Single USD $5.45 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Smart Bird/If You Want Me You Can Find Me - Lawson & 4 More (2013, Vinyl New) USD $11.39 Buy It Now 9h 46m
BIG 4.1968..SIMON SAYS/ IF YOU GO AWAY/ ELVIRA MADIGAN/ WHAT HAVE THEY DONE ... USD $4.35 Buy It Now 10h 29m
GIL OFARIM MOFFATTS Talk To You Taiwan Promo CD+4 Video If You Only Knew USD $16.99 Buy It Now 11h 14m
SHERYL CROW If It Makes You Happy Keep On Growing The Book 1996 Germany 4-Tk CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Lawson & 4 More - Smart Bird/If You Want Me You Can Find Me [Vinyl New] USD $17.99 Buy It Now 12h 58m
Music CD, MN8, If you only let me in, 4 Mixes USD $2.11 Buy It Now 19h 57m
WET WET WET - IF I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $3.11 Buy It Now 20h 48m
R. KELLY - If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time (UK 4 Tk Enh CD Single) USD $4.67 Buy It Now 21h 21m
U2: IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS [4 TRACK CD SINGLE] (Sunday Bloody Sunday-Live) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 35m
45 RECORD SCRIPTO PRESENTS BOBBY DARIN 4 SONGS IF A MAN ANSWERS / TRUE TRUE LOVE USD $2.67 Buy It Now 1 day
MGM 78rpm BILLY ECKSTINE Body & Soul / If Love Is Trouble That's What I'm Lookn4 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Bread Lot of 4 45s It Don't Matter To Me If The Guitar Man Aubrey USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Sleeping With Sirens - If You Can't Hang... - Song Lyric Art Poster - A4 Size USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1 day
The Script - If You Could See Me Now - Song Lyric Art Poster - A4 Size USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1 day
DANE COOK--HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED--24 TOPIC CD--4 TOPIC DVD USD $1.95 [0 bids]
USD $2.95 Buy It Now
GERI HALLIWELL - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster - CD Single - 4 Tracks - 2001-CD2 USD $6.17 Buy It Now 1 day
AS IF- The Channel 4 TV Soundtrack 2-CD (2001) Coldplay/Fragma/Kylie Minogue USD $5.42 Buy It Now 1 day
Ween Even If You Don't 4 track Promo Cd Used Condition USD $3.12 [0 bids]
Urs Faes: As If The Silence Of Doors - 4 DISC SET - Various Art (2013, SACD New) USD $24.92 Buy It Now 2 days
Danielle Greenwood - If I Am Cruel 4 trk CD single USD $1.53 [0 bids]
Daniel Bedingfield "If You're Not The One" 4 track CD single PLUS Sticker Sheet USD $1.53 [0 bids]
STING If You Love Somebody set them free 4track 12" USD $12.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over... CD +4 bonus trks USD $10.91 [0 bids]
LINCOLN & THE 4 MOST WATCH MY SMOKE // IF I WERE A COUNTRYSIDE DAWN 45 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Aretha & 4 Tops 45 w/PS If Ever A Love There USD $6.75 Buy It Now 2 days
IF-4 '72 UK WARNER BROS LP ORIG+INN. UK JAZZ PROG.BAND USD $78.04 Buy It Now 2 days
GIBSON BROS QUE SERA MI VIDA [ IF YOU SHOULD GO] HEAVEN VINYL 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $4.90 Buy It Now 2 days
SIMPLY RED #1 song CD If You Don't Know me By Now 4 track SINGLE shine SUGAR DAD USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EMBRACE Come Back To What You Know CASSETTE 4 Track B/w Love Is Back, If You Fee USD $6.23 Buy It Now 2 days
UPSIDE DOWN If You Leave Me Now CASSETTE 2 Track (mcworld4) UK World 1996 USD $6.23 Buy It Now 2 days
LOT Of 4 Barry Manilow 2- Even Now, ONE VOICE, IF I SHOULD LOVE AGAIN LP Records USD $24.95 Buy It Now 2 days
GROOVE ARMADA - IF EVERYBODY LOOKED THE SAME 4 track CD USD $3.78 Buy It Now 2 days
SUZI QUATRO_If You Can't Give Me Love_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_H4b USD $9.16 Buy It Now 2 days
DEAN GEYER_If You Don't Mean It_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_B4 USD $7.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Elaine Paige - Hymne a L'amour (If You Love Me) 4 Tracks - Mint - Fast Postage USD $7.79 Buy It Now 2 days
If That's the Way You Want It 4 Track Cd Single Cutting Crew USD $24.95 Buy It Now 3 days
STYLOPHONIC IF EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD LOVED EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD CD SINGLE E4 USD $2.33 Buy It Now 3 days
MARCOS HERNANDEZ - IF YOU WERE MINE 4-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS219 USD $2.09 Buy It Now 3 days
Michael McDonald lot of 4 No Lookin' Back, If That's What, Doobie II, 12" All We USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
If I Ruled The World: Songs For The Jet Set - Tony Bennett 4 (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.93 Buy It Now 3 days
Sting IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE 4 Song EP A&M GOOFY DANCE COVER USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CHERYL CROWE - IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY - 1996 SINGLE CD AUSTRALIA - 4 TRACKS USD $6.11 Buy It Now 3 days
WHITE LION / RADAR LOVE - IF MY MIND IS EVIL - 1989 7 4-88836 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Primal Scream If They Move Kill 'Em 4 Trk Promo 1998, William Holden, Darklands USD $12.47 Buy It Now 3 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $31.20 Buy It Now 3 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $23.33 Buy It Now 3 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $18.65 Buy It Now 3 days
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $13.97 Buy It Now 3 days
BRENDA LEE if you love me JAPAN 7" VIM-1006 kR4 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Stanley Turrentine IF I COULD (Amerco, 1993) Used CD D+4 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
If - 4 (NEW CD) USD $15.20 Buy It Now 3 days
PREFAB SPROUT - If You Don't Love Me (UK 4 Tk CD Single Pt 1) USD $10.13 Buy It Now 4 days
LEMAR - IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $3.11 Buy It Now 4 days
BLACK MAGIC 9204 GENE ALLISON & R.SHELTON "You Can Make It If U Try" NASHVILLE 4 USD $6.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
PILLBOX IF YOU CALL ME RIGHT NOW 3 TRACK PROMO CD SINGLE E4 USD $2.33 Buy It Now 4 days
JERRY NAYLOR If I Promise COLUMBIA PROMO 45-4-45212 UPTEMPO POP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Billie Holiday Ain't Nobody's Busines If I Do 4 Album Set P412969 USD $35.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Bobby Darin Scripto Presents 4 Song EP 45 Rpm All By Myself/if A Mam Answers USD $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Honk If You Never MZ 1 FOR iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Honk If You Never MZ 2 FOR iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Honk If You Never MZ 3 FOR iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Honk If You Never MZ 4 FOR iphone 4 4g 4s 5 5s 5c HTC One M7 back cover case USD $22.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kasey Chambers - If I Were You 4 Track CD Single USD $6.07 Buy It Now 4 days
If 4 USD $17.79 Buy It Now 4 days
SHERYL CROW - 4 CD SINGLES - RUN BABY RUN, IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, ETC. USD $7.79 Buy It Now 4 days
JENNIFER LOPEZ - 4 MAXI SINGLES GET RIGHT-WAITING 4 TONIGHT- IF YOU HAD MY LOVE USD $19.00 [0 bids]
If I Were a Carpenter [A&M] by Various Artists +rare Classics 4 -Stormy cd USD $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Even if You Don't Promo - WEEN (Radio edit, call out hook Aidio bio 4 trk CD) USD $4.99 [0 bids]
MINDY McCREADY very rare WHAT IF I DO 1997 4 track CD single radio attitude mix USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
IF the SHOE FITS (W.B.M.S. 126) (P) ('79) 2 by: Aztec Camera, Gang of 4, Juluka USD $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KIRSTY ALMEIDA-If You Can't Make Me Happy-4 track Promo CD-Rare USD $1.55 [0 bids]
THE S.O.S. BAND "IF YOU WANT MY LOVE" 4Z9 04161 (1983) * i combine shipping * USD $3.97 Buy It Now 5 days
HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind - Song Lyric Art Poster - A4 Size USD $8.19 Buy It Now 5 days
If 4 4009910109823, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $18.70 Buy It Now 5 days
HELLOWEEN_If I Could Fly_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_L4 USD $7.63 Buy It Now 5 days
COUNTING CROWS IF I COULD GIVE ALL MY LOVE CD SINGLE 4 TRACK USD $4.58 Buy It Now 5 days
Sheryl Crow - If It Makes You Happy (4 Track CD Single 1996). Ex Cond USD $2.33 Buy It Now 5 days
LP 2
~ USD $12.99
CD if4
~ USD $14.13

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If 4 ratings distribution

IF If 4 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars After their more commercial If 3 this mainly live album If 4 follows the more jazz orientated meanderings of their earlier albums, but with a more heavy guitar sound, typified by the first track the amazing ten minute live instrumental "Sector 17", a real album highlight. As the band were essentially more at home playing this type of music live this makes sense, but still sounds great in the studio. "The Light Still Shines", another live track, features a nice keyboard solo and strong bass, but starts to sound like a hundred other jazz rock bands, as is the next track "You in Your Small Corner". Opening side 2 is a great song "Waterfall", a folkish rock song with guitar, sax, tom-toms and Tull-style flute but firmly back in very enjoyable If territory again - it is this varied style of music and choice of instruments that make them special. "Throw Myself to the Wind" swings in, jam-like, not an album highlight but warms up with a guitar/sax exchange (not sure whether the applause is canned or real in places). The last track, strangely titled live seven-minute "Svenska Soma", a great blues instrumental featuring some good organ and sax solos, backed by some solid bass and drums.

Another worthy addition to any jazz-rock collection, not If's best but still goes further and is more innovative than most.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

If's discography is not that simple because of the different release not getting the same artwork on simply not getting a release, this phenomenon reaches its apex with their fourth release, which is more or less the "Waterfall" European release (not sure of this though) and this album sports at least two different artworks (one black/silver and one red/white, that I've seen so far). In either case, the line-up has remained stable; including the present album, but it will soon suffer its first and only change (but a major one) after the release of this one. . . In itself the succession of tracks is already a bit bizarre, as there are some live tracks and studio tracks and the way they get stuck together is highly disputable

The opening Sector 17 track (a 10-mins+ instrumental) is probably the one most likely to please progheads with its fuzzed out bass, searing guitar, excellent alternating sax solos, and not forgetting the usual brass section, etc.. we could be in a Soft Weather Nucleus Mahavishnu Forever album. Maybe If's best track with Fibonacci on the previous album and ending in a Colosseum-esque fashion. The following Light Still Shines is bringing us back down to earth after such tremendous start, with the average sung track that brings us back almost to BS&T (well I said almost) and slightly lengthy as well. The track Your Small Corner doesn't have the full-horn section aggression of its predecessor, but it's not that strong a tune either, some parts in the chorus sounding lifted, but I fail to see where.

The flipside starts with the flute-laden Waterfall, which will directly please progheads better, but it's also a more challenging songwriting we face here and its cool psychy flute solo. Up next is Throw Myself To The Wind, which is rather pedestrian in its construction, but the middle section is good. The closing cover of Svenska Soma (I image Swedish Summer) is the second highlight of the album with Mealing's organ drawing the glory here, but the whole band is shining, but not as hard as in Sector 17. Please note that two tracks on the flipside were apparently recorded live, including the closing one.

After the release of their best albums, If will implode and leaving the two sax players Morrissey and Quincy to rebuilt from scratch, and looking for a record deal. They will succeed , releasing two further albums (on Gull Records) with unlikely names under a fairly different sounding line-up (including future Procol member Geoff Whitehorn and Magno on keys), but the charm was broken. Returning to their fourth album, this is their better album, and it's a shame things broke down at this point. While it's difficult to give a "better' album to start with, it's clearly the UA label albums that are the better ones.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hope you like our new direction

"If 4" would prove to be the last album recorded by what was by and large the original line up of the band, before they disbanded and a new group using the same name was formed. Unlike the band's first three albums, "If 4" was not released in North America, but please see the entry for the album "Waterfall" for a North American release the same year. The tracks here were recorded live in the studio in front of an audience having been developed by the band at various gigs. The recordings are reportedly devoid of post production overdubs.

As a whole, the album represents the band's jazzier side, the opening 10+ minute "Sector 17" being a hope you like our new direction fusion style jam. There is plenty of energy in the performance, with guitarist Terry Smith and saxophonist Dave Quincy (who wrote the song) both being afforded plenty of space to display their talents. For me through, the track is very ordinary and indeed anonymous. This could be any of a number of bands and artists who resorted to rambling nonsense when the inspiration ran out.

Fortunately, things get back on track with the jazz rock of "The Light Still Shines", a song which reminded me of some of Alan Price's work. Here things are much tighter, J.W. Hodgkinson adding one of his fine vocals. "You in Your Small Corner" is the shortest track on the album and the last of the trio of Quincy compositions. Here we have the album's most accessible song, very much inspired by the anthems of Blood Sweat and Tears and complete with David Clayton Thomas like scat, plus a female backing vocal. I love it!

Side two of the LP sees the late Dick Morressey taking control, the opening "Waterfall" featuring plenty of his flute playing backed by a frantic rhythm and a good vocal refrain. "Throw Myself to the Wind" has a bit of a swing feel to it, the Blood Sweat and Tears similarities once again coming through. The album closes with Svenska Soma, the only song not to include a member of If in the writing credits. I have to admit defeat in my attempts to track down information on the composer (named as "Jonsson-Smith"). The track is another of the instrumental fusion jams, primarily focused on the sax section.

Overall, a bit of an up and down album (Iffy?!) by the band. The two extended jams aside, there is some decent material here. I can only assume that material was in short supply.

Post a review of IF "If 4"