NAMESAKE CAUTION

- Eric Fitzgerald / guitar and vocals
- Jesse Krakow / bass and vocals
- David Bodie / drums

Cuneiform, Rune 257

Thanks to avestin for the addition

TIME OF ORCHIDS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TIME OF ORCHIDS Namesake Caution Music

Namesake CautionNamesake Caution
CUNEIFORM 2007
Sarcast WhileSarcast While
Tzadik 2005
Time Of Orchids Sarcast While Mainstream JazzTime Of Orchids Sarcast While Mainstream Jazz
Records

More places to buy TIME OF ORCHIDS music online Buy TIME OF ORCHIDS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TIME OF ORCHIDS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TIME OF ORCHIDS Namesake Caution ratings distribution

TIME OF ORCHIDS Namesake Caution reviews

Review by TheGazzardian
2 stars Namesake Caution, the last album by Time of Orchids, is an interesting listen. It has ten tracks, only two of which surpass the five minute mark (the seven minute "Crib Tinge to Callow" and the ten minute "We Speak in Shards").

It has been a really challenging album for me. On the first listen, I didn't like it at all, but I've stuck with it for some time, paid attention to the material and let it grow on me, and it has done so, if not as much as I would like.

The music contained within is slow and ponderous; it takes its time to develop, and it is very rarely energetic. As such, this album is best to listen to in the dark or when you are feeling mellow. It is generally guitar driven, with odd and somewhat dissonant chords being used. The rhythms are odd and at times it even sounds a little math-y, although the band never gives fully over to that style. Vocal harmonies are used and may be one of the more colourful aspects of this bands music, which often sounds very grey.

As I said, it takes mulitple listens for this music to really work, for the subtle melodies and the interplay between the instruments to sink in. And once they do, it is a pleasant listen, if not an entirely varied one (I tend to stop hearing it shortly after the halfway mark). It never really comes across as genius or amazing, and even though it has been growing on me for several listens, it's finally reached the point where that seems to be plateauing, so enjoyable and pleasant is as far as this album has got with me.

The best track on the album, to my ears, is "Parades of Seasons", with a great rhtymic start/stop section in the middle. It's also the only one that has been particularly memorable to me thus far.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#475386) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 04, 2011

5 stars Multi-layered complexity wrought with astounding virtuosity--fans of Maudlin of the Well or Kayo Dot will not be disappointed. This release is more technical and more challenging to the ear than either of the aforementioned acts and much less metal-oriented. Also, probably a bit more vocal-oriente ... (read more)

Report this review (#226742) | Posted by InfinityParadox | Tuesday, July 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is a truly fantastic album. It took me a while to get into it, but after a while the complex rhythm structures and the great melodies all become clear and certainly very catchy. The album captures many different moods within a short matter of time and esculates as the album gradually goes o ... (read more)

Report this review (#175914) | Posted by Batthingman | Wednesday, July 02, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Think Kayo Dot and Beach Boys mixed somehow, which would end up with something sounding like 5UU's possibly, but more acoustic. This has got to be the strangest album I've heard this entire year. Jarring dissonance and beautiful melodies at the same time, it's a sonic masterpiece, and it blows ... (read more)

Report this review (#144213) | Posted by mecca | Saturday, October 13, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TIME OF ORCHIDS "Namesake Caution "