RED ALBUM

Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Rays On Pinion (7:35)
2. The Birthing (5:03)
3. Isak (4:22)
4. Wailing Wintry Wind (5:54)
5. Cockroach En Fleur (1:50)
6. Wanderlust (4:29)
7. Aleph (4:21)
8. Teeth of a Cogwheel (2:16)
9. O'Appalachia (2:36)

- John Baizley / guitar, vocals
- Brian Blickle / guitar
- Summer Welch / bass, vocals
- Allen Blickle / drums

CD Relapse Records (2007)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

BARONESS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BARONESS Red Album Music

Red AlbumRed Album
MRI 2007
Red Album by Baroness (CD, Sep-2007, Relapse Records (USA)) US $8.23 Buy It Now 12h 29m
Baroness - Red Album (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $36.04 Buy It Now 23h 40m
Baroness Red Album Clear Lp US $110.00 [0 bids]
Baroness - Red Album 2LP (1st Press, Etched /1000) RARE!!! US $75.00 Buy It Now 2 days
baroness lp blue album splatter torche red fang mastodon US $60.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BARONESS "Red Album" 2xLP (BLACK Vinyl) - Metal - Mastodon - NEW! US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Baroness - Red Album 2LP (Haze /300) OOP!!! Mastodon Kylesa Black Tusk US $75.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Baroness - Red Album 2LP (White + Rainbow Splatter /1016) OOP!!! US $70.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BARONESS RED ALBUM JAPAN CD with obi stoner rock hardcore heavy prog Japanese JP US $29.93 Buy It Now 4 days
BARONESS 2x CD RED ALBUM + BLUE RECORD BOTH CDS & COVERS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION US $12.11 Buy It Now 4 days
BARONESS Red Album 2xLP NEW Pink/White LTD Mastodon Kylesa Black Tusk Relapse US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BARONESS Red Album 2xLP NEW Bone White Mastodon Kylesa Black Tusk Relapse US $22.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BARONESS - RED ALBUM [BARONESS] - NEW CD US $9.93 Buy It Now 6 days
BARONESS - RED ALBUM - RR67212 US $18.30 Buy It Now 6 days
BARONESS-RED ALBUM CD NEW US $13.40 Buy It Now 6 days
Baroness Red Album Vinyl NEW Double LP Mastodon Black Tusk Red Fang Torche Isis US $26.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Baroness - Red Album 2LP (1st Press, 180g Clear /100) MEGA RARE!!! US $225.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Red Album - Baroness US $9.35 Buy It Now 9 days
BARONESS RED ALBUM LP VINYL RECORD NEW US $44.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Baroness "Red Album" 2x LP Mastodon Kylesa Isis Brown US $89.99 Buy It Now 11 days
BARONESS**RED ALBUM**CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 11 days
RED ALBUM BY BARONESS (CD) US $17.51 Buy It Now 11 days
Baroness - Red Album NEW CD US $16.26 Buy It Now 12 days
Red Album - Baroness (2007, CD New) US $12.72 Buy It Now 12 days
Baroness - Red Album CD US $15.09 Buy It Now 12 days
Baroness - Red Album [CD New] US $11.24 Buy It Now 13 days
BARONESS-RED ALBUM VINYL NEW US $30.46 Buy It Now 13 days
LP: BARONESS - Red Album 2xLP ltd. Relapse Records NEW UNPLAYED US $34.95 Buy It Now 14 days
Baroness - Red Album [Vinyl New] US $29.09 Buy It Now 18 days
Red Album - Baroness New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.29 Buy It Now 18 days
Red Album by Baroness (Vinyl, Dec-2008, 2 Discs, Relapse Records (USA)) US $26.17 Buy It Now 19 days
Baroness - Red Album NEW CD US $19.32 Buy It Now 20 days
Baroness - Red Album (NEW CD) US $19.97 Buy It Now 22 days
Red Album - Baroness - CD LIKE NEW Relapse (Mastodon, Clutch, Isis, Mogwai) US $12.99 Buy It Now 23 days
HOWL S/T CD, Like New, Kyuss High on Fire Mastodon Down Sword Baroness Red Fang US $7.49 Buy It Now 28 days
Red Album by Baroness (CD, Sep-2007, Relapse Records (USA)) US $13.95 Buy It Now 28 days
BARONESS-RED ALBUM CD NEW US $18.01 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BARONESS music online Buy BARONESS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BARONESS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BARONESS Red Album ratings distribution

BARONESS Red Album reviews

Review by burritounit
3 stars The Red Album is an outstanding yet lacking debut album by Baroness. In this album we can listen to a wide variety of styles including prog metal, sludge metal, post metal and more. As usual I'm not a big fan of sludge metal bands, especially bands with a harsh sounding vocalist, but I must say that this album stand's out from the rest. Baroness can easily be compared to Mastodon but with something's done a bit differently.

The thing that caught most of my attention was how energetic the songs in this album are. I would have to say that instruments are played in such a good manner that it makes me ignore totally these harshly annoying vocals. The rhythms have odd time signatures and can change instantly from something melodic to something heavy and explosive.

The first song: Rays of Opinion is a good introductory song but it would have been better if it was a little bit shorter and the intro of the song is long and repetitive. Wailing Wintry Wind has a very atmospheric intro and the part that follows sounds very similar to Mastodon, and the ending has a sort of melodic ending which gets sort of ruined by the vocals. The song Aleph has a very similar sound to Wailing Wintry Wind but luckily the singer doesn't play his part here: just two screams barely. I sort of noticed that most the songs after the first four are simply instrumental with very few vocal lines and are very short. Other standout tracks include Teeth of a Cogwheel and Wanderlust which has some intensive melodies. I really couldn't think of the best track in this album cause in my opinion there wasn't really one that stood out of the rest. And as for the hidden track, it's not even worth it waiting almost 11 minutes for an extremely short song with nothing quite good.

In overall this album is a good prog/sludge/post-metal with talented musicians. Nothing outstanding but it seems interesting enough to give it a few spins every now and then and if you like Mastodon you should really consider this one.

A 3.2! for me!

Send comments to burritounit (BETA) | Report this review (#165999) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 07, 2008

Review by horsewithteeth11
4 stars Talk about a really pleasant surprise.

I have to admit that, even though I used to be a really big metal fan (from a non-progressive standpoint), I never did like sludge or stoner metal. Probably because a lot of it sounded really "same-y". However, the main reason I picked up this album was because I found out that Baroness would be opening at the Opeth concert I was going to attend in about a week, and I was pleasantly surprised the first time I heard this. I only listened to this once or twice before the concert, but after seeing them perform the entire album live, I was so impressed that I went back and listened to this many, many times within a couple of weeks. And now I can firmly say that this is one of the albums that have finally gotten me interested in this genre here on PA.

Baroness definitely borrows a lot of characteristics from post rock, especially in the way that the riffs are developed. The rest of their sound comes mostly from progressive, sludge, and stoner metal. There is a lot of dissonance from all the instruments, and the riffs are pretty heavy and crushing; think a (small) step down from Isis. However, some of the songs are also either entirely melodic or composed of many softer melodic sections. At times, on Cockroach en Fleur for example, there are even hints of bluegrass music, which makes since for a band that originated in the rolling hills of Virginia. The songs are all high-energy and played very well though. It's hard for me to pick out a few standout tracks, but I would have to go with Rays on Pinion, The Birthing, Wailing Wintry Wind, and Wanderlust. I look forward to seeing what this band manages to pull off in the upcoming years. I'll give this 4 stars and a lot of wishes of best of luck to Baroness. This is a band to keep your eyes on.

Send comments to horsewithteeth11 (BETA) | Report this review (#201843) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 05, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars After disliking every note on the Blue Record I didn't feel much like checking out Baroness' debut album. But I'm happy I did. It's quite enjoyable and fresh.

Comparing to the ensuing album Blue Record, the first thing to note is the production. The music isn't volume-clipped to death here. It's sure loud but not so much that it drowns out all subtlety. I usually judge this by listening to the drum sound. The snare should both have attack and warmth. Check. The ride and hi-hat shouldn't be too tiny nor too loud. Check. The crash cymbals shouldn't be too sharp. Check. The kick drum (ans bass guitar) should make your floor shudder but not smother anything else. Check again!

Next there is the diversity on this album. Heavy sludge metal like this needs a bit of space to be effective. You need gentle sections to make the heavy parts more effective. Check. You need to play around with the tempo so that not all becomes too monotonous. Check. And of course you need decent songs with memorable riffs, an occasional bit of melody and a degree of complexity to spice things up and not to sound like the 135th Sabbath clone. Check again.

Last but not least there's the vocals. They aren't any different from other coarse hardcore bellowing, but luckily they are only used on occasion. Most of the songs have ample instrumental sections. The sparse vocals don't get in the way of things and add a bit of power and heaviness when required. Fine album for fans of stoner rock.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246486) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Review by Negoba
3 stars In Your Face Rock n' Roll

Having recently fell in love with Baroness' BLUE RECORD, I decided to go back and investigate their breakthrough predecessor RED RECORD. This is the album Baroness was promoting when I was first exposed to them live opening for Opeth. At the time, my interest had been pleasantly poked, and I had sampled a fair bit of this record online. I liked what I heard, but not enough to purchase, and it is just now that I am revisiting the album. Overall, RED is just as rocking, just as raw, just as full of energy as BLUE, but less complex, more straightforward, not as prog. It's still a great rock'n'roll record, but may leave a few listeners at PA wondering why the album is part of the archives.

The basic formula for Baroness is a twin guitar-fueled garage-y stoner rock / metal with shouted vocals. Now clearly this has been done many times before, but Baroness has a raw energy that (at least for me) trumps virtually all of their peers. In addition, they ride a fine line between precision and rawness, with tones that sound like you could go make happen in your own garage. It is exciting, pumps you up, and (again for me) just hits that "Rock" button full on. Both RED and BLUE have hints of blues and hints of prog to help flesh out the sound, and add some variety to the album. RED tips the scales towards the bluesy side, and BLUE toward the prog side. In addition, BLUE's shouts are more melodic, utilize more harmony, and even employ a little clean singing. RED is simply closer to standard stoner metal, though very well done.

Songs like "Cockroach en Fleur" still contain all the great elements I love about Baroness. Hard rocking riffs, guitar interplay, bluesy interludes, and plenty of spaced out atmosphere are perfect for jamming in the car on a Saturday cruise. The interludes like "Wanderlust" and "Teeth of a Cogwheel" hint at the more complex ideas to come on the next album. But the most energy is spent on the balls to the wall rockers like "The Birthing."

If it's not already clear, I highly suggest getting the BLUE RECORD first and then checking this one out if you are really hearing the band in a more stripped down version. Good rocking record, but certainly unessential in terms of prog. 3/5.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#271133) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Review by Starhammer
4 stars The First Baron...

The debut studio release from US sludge-metallers Baroness.

The Good: It's almost impossible to listen to Baroness without making comparisons to Mastodon as the sonic resemblance is uncanny. But whilst their basic sound may be very similar, their musical approach is quite different.

In 2007 their older brethren had just released a third attempt to keep up with Brann Dailor's frenetic drumming in the guise of Blood Mountain, but where many accuse Baroness of simply being derivative, in reality they were more interested in carving out intricate soundscapes. The pace is much slower, the vocals fewer, overall its quite unusual, but not weird and nonsensical, more like carefully constructed ideas that are both dissonant yet cohesive. The quality of the individual compositions on Red Album are superb, but perhaps more importantly it flows seemlessly and takes the listeners on a musical journey through dark mires and shrouded catacombs.

The Bad: The diversity fades a little towards the end of the release. And the ten minutes of silence on the hidden track is just pointless on a CD release.

The Verdict: The cover art reflects the beauty of the music inside.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#488058) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 21, 2011

4 stars Baroness is described as a progressive metal band, an experimental/post metal band, and a sludge metal band depending on where you look. I found them while checking out sludge metal bands on Amazon. I had been kind of out of the metal scene in so far as new bands were concerned for a number of ... (read more)

Report this review (#869425) | Posted by FragileKings | Saturday, December 01, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars An atmospheric yet beautifully crushing album. Baroness' 'Red Album' is a work of beauty. From the beginning ambiance of a soft-guitar introduction to the very last note, this album is a journey through a post-metal piece of artwork. 'The Red Album' is a perfect mix of post-metal, sludge, p ... (read more)

Report this review (#345700) | Posted by The Monodrone | Tuesday, December 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I was pleasantly surprised by this band, not quite immediately though. The first time, I wasnt sure, I was immediately put off by the vocals and didn't really care to listen closely because of that. But a few spins later, the album started making more sense and it started featuring in my daily pl ... (read more)

Report this review (#285572) | Posted by jilgiljongiljing | Tuesday, June 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I can't help it, but I think these guys are GRRRRRRRRRRRRRReat! This album (and the Blue Album) have both stood the test of time for me, and that test is, that I can listen to them several times and still think they are great. They do have some Post Metal elements, but seem to lean towards E ... (read more)

Report this review (#280327) | Posted by TCat | Sunday, May 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The Red Album opens with a monolithic statement of intent. A few hanging notes quiver in the air, before gently being brushed aside by a rhythmic guitar pattern. This pattern, whilst not that imposing or devastating in itself, acts as the sound of inevitability, a harbinger of growing elemental p ... (read more)

Report this review (#226484) | Posted by Witch | Monday, July 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is simply stunning. I am truly at a loss for words on what to say about these songs. They deliver so much emotion, so much power, so much sheer musical muscle, more so than any other band I have heard in a long time. Their sound can be compared to Mastodon, especially the vocals, which ... (read more)

Report this review (#152830) | Posted by puma | Monday, November 26, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BARONESS "Red Album"